Speaker 1: So we recently posted a bunch of pictures in the series that is Andy and Danny.
Speaker 2: Oh so many. It was like three weeks.
Speaker 1: And you guys could only know that is a fraction of what exists.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't ever, I don't have more. I don't have that many photos of my son. I know, it's insane. It's insane.
Speaker 1: I have more pictures with Andrew Keagan than anyone else in my entire life.
Speaker 3: Were you planning on doing some sort of a retrospective eventually or just start.
Speaker 2: A cult together and just do that together?
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, I was asked a bunch of times on Instagram. In one particular picture, we're standing out in front of Andy's red car and I am holding this long streamy thing and oh.
Speaker 2: The ball sack? Mag What what?
Speaker 4: You didn't notice that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: What somebody comment to looks like he's holding balls, and it totally.
Speaker 5: Does, because whatever that thing is, I think it's your blanket or whatever you're about to you didn't.
Speaker 1: Notice it, and Eus didn't know East's a one hundred percent looks like that.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people wrote.
Speaker 1: It, oh my god, I didn't notice that comment picture which picture?
Speaker 2: It's like he's literally holding I have.
Speaker 1: To find it. I'm gonna have to look at it right now. Anyway, anyway, I want you all to know what it is. It was my from Okay, so when I was born, and my grandmother, who passed away when I was two, bought me this pink bunny. But it's not stuffed. It was basically like it had a round face and two ears that had satin lining on the inside of the ears, and then the body of the bunny was shaped kind of like a tear drop and it was just pink like knit and then it was in huge nuts.
Speaker 2: Didn't you've been put this on Instagram? Yes, I'm looking right now. Where are these? Okay, I'll show you the picture. I will find it.
Speaker 1: It's I can't even believe that everyone, you guys are disparaging my child.
Speaker 5: You like truckers hang off the back of their car like the big like, that's what it looks.
Speaker 2: See what you're looking at now? Okay, So here's the picture. Do you see it?
Speaker 4: Does?
Speaker 2: Guys? Anyway?
Speaker 3: Were you also in a throuple with my ex girlfriend with Jenna Vanoy, because she seemed to be the three of you together quite often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a couple of times. Jenna was there.
Speaker 1: Well, Jenna was like my she was older than me, but I loved her. I was obsessed with her. She was like my my friend slash, somebody I wanted to be like when I grew up. So yeah, Jenna was there too. Anyway, It's my childhood blanket and I carried it around with me everywhere my entire life until I was like ten, and even then I slept with it. And his name her her name was Bah, which was short for bunny, because that's how I said it when I was an infant Bah, And so that was the name. And Buh had basically because of being loved, had become real and was shredded into this very long thing. And so Andy's one of the only people to have ever really seen and hung out. Yeah, to be around Ba, and I still have Buh. Buh lives in a ziploc.
Speaker 5: Baggie friend zoned when he got to touch the bue.
Speaker 2: You did. Every picture, by the way, looks like he's been married for years. I know, I know, I know. It is funny because like to make sure it's a couple too, you guys have like this.
Speaker 1: We were in a relationship that involved no intimacy, I mean except for yeah, yeah. Anyway, My question was, do you guys have or did you have childhood blankets or things that were like close to you that you slept with or took with you places, and what were they?
Speaker 2: If so, I absolutely do. It's twenty feet from where I'm sitting right now. That it right now, we'll get it.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: You want me to actually go get it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please? I want to see it, especially if it's you think it is. What do you think it is?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's going to be it's going to be some sort of stuffed thing. Probably, Yeah, I think it's going to be a stuffed animal.
Speaker 4: I think it's Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess that makes the most sense. But I was thinking like more like an action figure.
Speaker 1: I bet, I bet it could be a blank It could be an actual blanket.
Speaker 2: He still has it?
Speaker 3: Is it in his?
Speaker 1: I still have mine too?
Speaker 2: I know? Like, where where is it right now?
Speaker 1: And is zip block bagging and a drawer?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is it's a bear? Giant bear? It's huge?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Will it's so cute?
Speaker 2: This is this is my Charlie bear. Wow, he's big.
Speaker 3: And Charlie was in the crib I was was put in my crib when I was brought home from the hospital by my godfather.
Speaker 2: Does it have giant testicles?
Speaker 3: No, No giant testicles. And Charlie has been with me ever since. He lives in my closet. Now he's not on the bed, but he comes with me everywhere. And so I've had my Charlie bear since I was the day I was born.
Speaker 2: That's how bow was for me, since I was born. My Charlie bear.
Speaker 5: Wow, my parents did My parents did give me a bear that I had as a kid. That was the I think it was the day I was born, but I don't know where it is. I'm assuming it's still at my parents' house.
Speaker 1: Jensen got a Tonka truck that his dad brought to the hospital when he was born, and it's like a real like big.
Speaker 2: Metal medal like the one where you can operate thing.
Speaker 1: And his mother kept it and for when I was pregnant with Adler, she brought it to my baby shower with little gifts for Adler in the Tonka trunk. So Adler actually has Jensen's Tonka truck from when he was a baby. So that's anyway all of you guys. I hope I made you feel bad for making fun of my buff No, it's.
Speaker 2: A cool, not even a little bit.
Speaker 4: Don't feel bad at all.
Speaker 2: Welcome to pod meets BA Testicles.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel Fishall, I'm.
Speaker 2: Riders Strong, and I'm will for Doll.
Speaker 1: While rewatching the show, there have been a few instances that we have lovingly referred to as a perfect drive by someone who comes on the show as a one time guest star and in limited screen time, creates a perfect moment of sitcom magic all on their own. We've seen this occur with Phyllis Dillar in a yogurt shop, Lesha Haley with a guitar, and this week's guest while portraying Bosco, a hairdresser slash con man who turns to Panga into a woman with just a few snips of his scissors. We were blown away by the tornado that is dom Irrera, a comedians comedian who not only left an undeniable mark on our show while making it look easy, he was at the forefront of the golden days of stand up comedy, with contemporaries like Jerry Seinfeld, Ray Romano, Eddie Murphy, and Gilbert Gottfried. He appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and Jay Leno, The Late Show With My Third Crush, David Letterman, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Seinfeld as prop comedian Ronnie Kay the King of Queen's Home Improvement, Drew Carey. He's the voice of Ernie Potts on Hey Arnold. He's in The Big Lebowski and yes, he plays Bosco the Italian then Brooklyn Night from Three Cillini Brothers Salon in the Boy Meets World episode Hair Today, Goon Tomorrow. This week on pod Meets World, we are honored to welcome the legendary dom Irrera.
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, look at this.
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 4: Look look at me? Good? Great? They can get a cuter and letty kid in touch forty years we haven't seen each.
Speaker 1: Other, seriously almost it's approaching thirty, so you're not really far off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty years.
Speaker 4: I'm Domarere from television. I don't know if you recognized me this, Yeah, characters, I did the hardest character of Italian American Brett Brulson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bosco Cellini.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, we just recently rewatched your episode and because we were children when we recorded with you and taped with you, I don't think we ever grasped how absolutely incredible you were in that episode. What do you remember from that week and that day of shooting.
Speaker 4: Well, you guys are the most fun. I mean, I don't want to make it slappy matters show. It's like Steinfeld, Seinfelder, whatever.
Speaker 2: His name is, Yeah, Seinfeld, thank you.
Speaker 4: She believes me.
Speaker 2: I believe you. I said it in your intro.
Speaker 1: You didn't get to hear it, but I went through all your credits.
Speaker 4: I can't believe I could still stand after giving so much. It's but it was funny. The guys gave it, just gave me the part they didn't have me read for like some l And then that was who was the producer?
Speaker 1: Michael Jacobs? Jacobs who I think you worked with on My Two Dads.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, right, I kind of stunck on that and that was fun. You were fun here too.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a very famous episode for me in both my personal life and as a as an actor. It's something that's yeah, lasted forever, and you're such an indelible.
Speaker 2: Part of it.
Speaker 1: So did you like doing guest star spots on TV shows. By the way, thanks for stinking it up on My Two Dads and absolutely killing it on our show.
Speaker 4: I think Two Dads was that kind of guy. And the Brooklyn was you doing? Everybody forget about it? Well he came up and they said her hair is so beautiful, the beauty of a stick rich here, how beautiful beautiful? And then come on, we know you're from Brooklyn. All right, take it easy.
Speaker 2: I know it was so good, so great.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Seinfeld, so I do want to talk about Seinfeld a little bit. You played Ronnie Kay, the prop comedian with large nostrils. What was your history with Jerry and Larry David and how did you end up on the show.
Speaker 4: Larry David called me up. I was watching football like a man and then yeah, said, you know what you want to do the show because if you a couple of times you offered me other parts, like the part of the Italian barber.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: I was always out of town killing and stand up kill kill, course, everybody kills. He said, have you seen the show A bunch of doing? I said, well, I haven't seen it, but I heard it really good. We a little did I know? And my ex wife was the mother of the ugly baby. So we it was it was a blast, you know, coming on that said, and I know everybody from something Michael I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Too, oh a Cramer, Yeah, Michael Richards.
Speaker 4: But that that whole worked with them somewhere, Jason, Alexander and then they they just had something. It was magic. But I'm not to make this segues you had you guys had that same feeling, and the feeling was you were having fun, you know, and it really they really goes out there when you could see when I saw you kids running around, I was goofing around with you. It was like such a nice day as opposed to somebody like, you know, having reading. We got to read for some numb nut you know, you know mean sometimes where did you get your credit credentials? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing I remember most about what Seinfeld was you're playing Ronnie Kay, but you're in a hockey jersey with your last name on It says Rare on the back of the hockey jersey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it says Bruins jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's yeah, you had your So they had you as Ronnie Kay, and I always wondered why they didn't just have you as yourself, since you're supposed to be a comedian anyway.
Speaker 4: I would have rather have done other things. I was one of the top five for comedians in the United States. One of these bull you say your cursed on this. Sure, sure, I don't want to. I just want to know I can.
Speaker 2: I want you can. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Mary, Larry says to me, you want to do the show? I said, well, I'm working in Vegas next Vegas, next week. He's anyway they get the guy from Vegas said, no, go do that show. It's great, and that's all. I got the show. But Larry just came over the house and or kid just called me and told me. I mean, Jerry's not that type of guy. He's very good in giving, but he was like focused, like he didn't even talk to me doing the whole thing. Really, Jason Alexander's like having a bagel and doing his side, you know. But it was fun. Who done the biggest sitcom ever? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm believable.
Speaker 1: You know, being a guest star is not easy, Like that's a difficult task and you were so good at it, but you're always walking onto a new set with people who were have well established relationships and and dropping in.
Speaker 2: Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 4: If I liked this, you know? I mean, yeah, I did enjoy it because I was I was always doing stand up comedy, so for me to do when that, especially at that time, I had to really like it because I did have a choice. You know. I was on the road with Share and when I knew you guys, what year was a.
Speaker 1: It's like ninety six.
Speaker 4: I was on the show was for some you know something. I didn't go around the world with them. I just in the States. But so I had a really good job anyway, you know. And then but I loved the idea of him and the kids together. And I had seen your show and I thought it was funny, very funny, and just like it looked like fun I had now because I remember you as kids. It was so was so bizarre, you know, remember the time I was getting mega and the girls bushed me up and you come in, hey, Dom, and they looked at me and go, who are you but modern? And people have been doing the makeup that you made such a fuss fuss of them? He said, thanks to the fuss.
Speaker 2: Our pleasure.
Speaker 1: Happy to do it. And then you were in Big Lebowski. You have another scene stealing role as the Limos chauffeur. How do you end up working with the Cohen Brothers on a movie that would basically go on to define a generation?
Speaker 4: Stand up? I was doing the Carolines in New York and the younger, kind of geekier guy forget his first name, but he saw me do stand up and they just put him in the script. And the guy said you want to do it? I said, yeah, it's great, and then he goes, but you think it's great? I said, yeah, I wrote it. I wrote the jokes that they put. I forget the and about four or five lines. But they asked me to do you want to drive? They were going to stunt driver. I take, I'll drive. What is it five miles in an hour? You know? I go about ten minutes, they go boom. I hit this thing that they didn't tell me. I had the Colin brothers. I said, well, if I killed one of them, I'd be in trouble. But I killed two of them. I'm done.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what did you hit?
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's something that decided, you know, the sound people put and they didn't tell me they put it and then they put it back. I mean we really went flying.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So then after that, did you still keep driving or did they put a stunt driver in?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I was done by then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you were done.
Speaker 3: You obviously started in stand up. When did your When did you start your stand up journey? I mean you've been around for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I was in Fiddler on the Roof you probably remember that in Barry College nineteen two. I just started with plays in college, and I liked them, you know, like I said, sometimes when you get to when you like it's really kind of like a fantasy. I got this one articon old Lace, remember the play? Oh yeah, not shiny, No, do we do it the quick way, not the Melbourne Way? And I love that character. And I'm driving to basketball and I heard and it was Bill, Bill Murray's sister who was a nun at Barry College in Miami. And I said, Nancy, I got I gotta have this this part. I love this guy. No, not to mean that that that voice I never even heard. It was Peter Laurie was a guy's name. But I only saw the Warner Brothers cartoons or something but you know, so it can come in handy if you enjoy it, you know, but I had that advantage. And opening for the Share, yeah, that was that's a challenge. I mean, twenty five thousand people and she she put me on the she put me on the marquee and everything. So maybe it made it look more professional, you know, because that was that was a strange joy into.
Speaker 5: Great and they're there for music predominantly so and you're opening with comedy? Are you the only opening act?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I did twenty five and then then she did she an hour. She cheated because she brought it Sonny and shared videos.
Speaker 1: Smart listen as people who have a live show that include some videos.
Speaker 2: Piller great.
Speaker 4: One time I got Heckler a Heckler, and then I could listen. You had dumb little she's not here, leave me alone. I got ten more minutes. I'm not bothering you. And I said to the girl, do you know what it's like doing stand up? And you don't know what it's like, you don't ignorant it, And they got really pissed in me. The next time, I went to Cleveland from Akron and they came there like about thirty or forty people came just to boom me. I loved it. It was so controversial and she didn't care. She didn't even bother with it. There was one joke that she didn't like.
Speaker 2: What was the joke?
Speaker 4: Tell us, Okay, you know you don't want to go see Born with your girlfriend because you never want to hear the words. Now, that's a cock.
Speaker 2: She didn't like that joke.
Speaker 4: She said, what is that's the cock? You can't put that on the show. I said, I'm sorry, you never did what I did before. By the way, your grandfather liked the way your ass was. I was the grandparents were there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Don't you ask me to be on this. I really loved this show. I really did. It was another well that was bright spots in my career, my career, my career said.
Speaker 1: Well, as I mentioned above all else, you are a very popular stand up comedian and you were right in the mix during an incredible time for comedy. So I was wondering if you could talk to us a little bit about how important being on Carson was for stand ups during that time.
Speaker 4: It was the Imperor Monitor, it was imagine it's so different today. I'm not making a choice one or two, but it's completely different. I have the podcast to dom Yo Yo Dom. It's called Yo domb Yo dom forget about it. But where was that.
Speaker 2: Going, oh, Carson Carson, Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't get the cartoon because I was funny. I got it because the waitresses at the club, like my act. I was going in late at night. I just came back from New York where I was a little bit of a big deal, and I went right to the bottom again and the girls would, you know, sit down. If the waitressoud sit down and look at you, you know you got something going. Fortunately for me, he loved women, and you know, they always pushed for me. So one night he brought and he brought Jim. Jim McCauley was the guy's name. He was booking, and he said, I did my show was like fifteen minutes. You know, Okay, stand up. He goes, Hey, don mean me, you want to do the show? Carson. I said, no, I don't want to do those show. It's where I'm going up here two o'clock in the morning. Yeah, I wish I would the show, And I got the show like that, not bringing good or bad, but you and so if you you either got that show or you didn't. And it was really because I didn't I erge for MERV Griffin. I didn't get that, and I thought, if I can't get MERV Griffin, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna get the Tonight Show. So I was in from I started from improv. I'll just go back to improvs. And you know that's it because I can't do take this anymore getting rejected. But that you really had to do it in those days. Now liked Louis c K. Remember that with that whole sexual thing. Well you know what he did was he went out and started his own movie and hey for himself. You know that didn't happen in those days, were the only Tonight Show. You are right, Ronnie Dangerfield not turned out to be friends and not to be a name dropper. You're you're all right, kid, You're all right.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit about what he was like off stage.
Speaker 4: It's hilarious. And when he was serious, he was funnier than when he was trying to be funny. And he says to me, he says, what can I do for you?
Speaker 5: Kid?
Speaker 4: I said, Brodney. He's done enough for me. He got me on special HBO Specialist. Well, you know, I said, you could do one thing close close your robe. He said, what do you mean? He goes, I can't eat and see a little grape Paulini's just cover that so I can eat my soup. You're all right. He wouldn't even laugh. That's very funny.
Speaker 3: So when when you were coming up, this is arguably the golden age of stand up comedy.
Speaker 2: Who was your favorite comedian? Who was the best that you ever saw?
Speaker 4: She's that's tough. I worked with Robin Williams and improvs a lot. He was really bright, you know, and he was he say, doing that kind of thing, and I said what I said that it didn't even mean anything. He went, I know, he says, but if you do a face, I think you're smart, you know, just some gibberish. Wow, I don't know if I had a brow, I thought that, you know, God rested saw Bill. Bill Cosby was brilliant writer. And who do you like now?
Speaker 2: Do like I like going back to watch the old stuff?
Speaker 3: I can watch Carlin all the time, so, you know, a huge fan of watching the original carl and stuff. I thought Eddie Murphy. Some of Eddie Murphy's, especially his earlier stuff like Raw was really great.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan. Chris Rock, Bargotzi is hysterical. George I love him too. Man Scalco another great one. There's some, there's some great great stand ups. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They came up to me when he started getting hot. I said, what do you think I'm doing? All that materials? And is he's stealing from you? I said, no, he don't. I don't own Italy. He's my friend. He's not stealing from me. Excuse me, I think he's doing something Italian. It's both man. I worked hard to be Italian.
Speaker 2: I own Italy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right?
Speaker 1: Was your family always supportive of your aspirations in comedy?
Speaker 4: My mother thought that I was so good that I should be I should be the host of the Tonight Show. My mother just the opposite of most mothers. You know, don't get a real job. My mother would go, you're better than him. I wasn't better than him. You know, I'm not better than Johnny Carson.
Speaker 1: I love that though, I really do.
Speaker 2: That's so sweet.
Speaker 4: She died yesterday.
Speaker 1: But no, so sorry, so sorry to to me.
Speaker 4: She she's a great mother and very beautiful body. And then okay, now you're gonna stand up book.
Speaker 2: We're keeping all of it.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because when you read that stuff, I'm like, wow, Wow, that's so cool. When when it was happening, I didn't even think twice about it. I thought, well, this is not it's not it's not natural. But like, there's certain things I did, like, hey, Arnold, yeah, I was the demolition guy, and hey, Arnold, what I picked the guy's name Ernie, Ernie Potts, And it was so fun to do that and talk about easy. It's you know, cartoons are the easiest thing. You go in there in a wind swim suit, anything, you drop the lines one, two, you got that, do a wild spot, do the wild spot. You're done, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, best job in the world. Best job in the world is yep.
Speaker 4: You don't even need feet. It's great. I have a jockstrap one right.
Speaker 1: And that's why we love podcasting. So, looking back, if you had to name the most underrated stand up from that era in your opinion, who would it be.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I didn't know. I never heard it as punk. Geez, that's a tough one. You know, there's a guy named Edwin Edwards. Anyway, he's great, great stand up community, but he doesn't have the charismas some of this guy. But Chris Rock is one of He's just funny, you know. I mean he's brilliant, Like he's probably the smartest and the funny. I guess I like the different things. You know, Seinfeld has a certain brilliance to it, but it's not I never cry laughing. It's him. But I think he's gonna go wow, that's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know Bill Burd remember when he did that thing in Camden where they bought they booed me.
Speaker 3: Oh that that was one of the most brilliant I mean that made him who he was, wasn't it. I Mean that was one of the most brilliant things I think I've ever heard ever from a stand up That was incredible.
Speaker 2: Recap it for.
Speaker 4: Us, Well, I was on stage and I'm from Philly, which Camden is across from Philly, and like there were about thirty thousand people. It was something gigantic and about maybe three hundred were booing me, but they were booing over they were drunk. So I said, yeah, once you go home, do your mother's my mother's basement. Yeah, and then you know, just this whole thing. And and then I got them back, you know, and then I walk off from Bill goes. They booed, dom a rere here them. I said, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: This is all like.
Speaker 4: As we exchanged the stage and he got on there, I knew something was going to happen. I went and sat on one of the speakers and he just went the funniest thing I heard from his line of all he goes the Liberty Bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who would be? We would do, dude.
Speaker 3: For fifteen minutes, he just tore the audience apart and then he'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, I got all night I could do. I got nine minutes left.
Speaker 3: Like he It was unreal, this this stand up bit he just went off that takes It was I.
Speaker 5: Mean, stand up in general, but to be antagonistic with your own audiences so risky for.
Speaker 2: The town they live for, Philly, with a drunk Philly crowd, it was insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was drunk Philly. I was working in Ireland. I've done Ireland over the years, but maybe twenty five times really maybe fifty times, so much, you know, and he was there he goes, stay Dom, take me around. I don't know the place. Everybody in this town knows you let's you know, you know, go hang out some night. So we're out there and we're just kind of moved where everything was funny, and we go in and I'd be behind him going, I'll break my lack of me is part of it, doing any stupid irish accents, and we just got to you know, like you know how some people think this is the funniest thing in the world. Then you tell somebody else to go, wow, it's so funny. You really have to be there, like what I'm doing now. I can tell you it was funny, but I can't make it funny. But I love yeah me too. You can't buy them back, you know exactly.
Speaker 1: But those are the Those are the moments. Like talking about bringing up Louis c. K again, I think Louis k is one of those people who talks about that. You think the moments in your life that you're really going to remember are the moments of standing on the stage at Madison Square Garden, But really you don't remember those. And it's funny because we talk about boy meets World all the time, and so many of those things. You'd think, well, like, of course you're going to remember that you were on a hit show for seven years, and so many of your memories are going to be about those big moments. But they're not. There're moments about you know, dancing in the rain outside of writer's house and you know when we were fifteen, or the.
Speaker 2: Time conversation in the makeup room exactly.
Speaker 1: Or walking to the school room, or you know, like for you, you and Mike Burbiglia in Ireland doing accents and tears streaming down your face, like terrible accents. By the way, Yeah, I was not trying to say they were going to be good.
Speaker 4: My sister came up to me in Madison Square Garden wanted to make sure everybody was good. She goes, I can't believe you're gonna stand up comed He's Madison Square Garden. I said, I know, She goes, Ali was here, Frank Sinachi was here. Now you're here, I go, glor I gotta go. She was making me nervous. I wasn't nervous by the time I got on. I was like, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't talk to me about it.
Speaker 4: I was fine before there was more moments like you can't. She meant, well, but it's like, please stop, because to me, it's this is my day day at work twenty five minutes, you know, because if you think about it, I was in thirty seven thousand people, that's what they said in Milwaukee Milwaukee Summerfest, and I'm ready to go out, and the guy says, what are gonna go out now? I said, but the sun still up? He goes, hey, we thought I thought it'd be going up earlier. The sun doesn't. The son arb arbitrary. It's it's like they have a did you ever hear the harmor farmers all the nec Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: So I go on to seventeen thousand people plus anyway thousands of people, and I go, you know what I want to do. I'm not gonna worry about seventeen thousand people and whatever, but the ten pace ten thousand people right here in front of me, and do stand up to them. And it worked. But it was so crazy. Think you don't belong there, you know, with these guys doing the stadiums all the time. Now, it's great, it's great for your money, but I I just think it's too too. It's too much, do you do you?
Speaker 2: Is it me?
Speaker 4: It's like, I don't want to see Louis e k in it. I'm gonna see him as a club at least or an arena, not arena, but the theater. Theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely a different vibe when you're when you're you know, in a comedy club than you are when you're you know, somebody's shooting a special for instance.
Speaker 3: It's certainly a different uh yeah, a different way about it. One of our producers of Boy Mets World, his wife is a very well known is Wendy Leeman, who's been around for Wendy's she's hysterically funny, and uh, seeing her in a small club, she's great everywhere she goes. But seeing her in a small club, you got a different vibe than when you went and watched her her special being show.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was, it was, it was. It's fun both ways, But yeah, there is there is.
Speaker 3: The intimate setting really lends to feeling like you're part of the the set, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: You have your own podcast. You mentioned Yo Dom, and you have appeared on the world's biggest podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience. You went on kill Tony, and you have really like embraced the podcast scene for comedy a lot more so than some other comedians from your class. What do you like about podcasts?
Speaker 4: Well, see, Joe's better equipped, Like he likes to talk land like a long time, like two three hours, and he's great, you know, but I just like I like this, like we'll do this at half hour Ford and go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I'm not saying I could take place with him, because it's amazing he built his own island. But Joe, Joe's I'm going to see him in a couple of weeks and at the club March tenth, I think it is nine and ten.
Speaker 2: Nice gonna kill kill kill, kill kill, Yeah, you're gonna kill it.
Speaker 4: He is. They always kill every time, like you have trouble, but when I'm not there, you kill. It's amazing, terrible.
Speaker 1: You have had a truly incredible career, an integral part of a class of comedians that might be just the absolute funniest ever, and you have worked with and influenced so many of them. So now looking back on your body of work for years since you started, what are your feelings on the legacy you have left behind?
Speaker 4: Well, this is a very nice thing for me that you guys know me, and that was something I really loved doing that. A couple of days we will work together. So I don't want to get this you know, beautiful people, but it's just like this is this is very nice for me, and it's like very cool. We really love you guys.
Speaker 1: You we really enjoyed your I mean we talk about it. It's a it's a drive by perfect appearance.
Speaker 2: Perfect, perfect guest, unbelievable all the way around.
Speaker 4: I really like the part, you know, that makes it a lot easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is I mean, it was this to me.
Speaker 3: I know, you were en Seinfeld, which was, you know, consider the greatest tocome of all time. But and they had some amazing guest parts on that, but I mean it was just it was a perfect performance.
Speaker 2: Perfect. You carried that the whole episode.
Speaker 4: It was just so good, you know, and I still think about what I could have done make it better. I'm watching I go I could have.
Speaker 2: No, there was not a sing. We're still doing that too though. We do that all the time.
Speaker 3: We do that. We're watching ourselves going, well, I want to reshoot that. Yeah, I'm almost fifty, but I want to reshoot it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, yeah, crazy.
Speaker 4: If you ever want me to come back, I can't. I'm going to have a cold that day.
Speaker 2: Oh great, thank you.
Speaker 4: No, it was great seeing you.
Speaker 2: It was great seeing you, and thank you so much better.
Speaker 4: No, go ahead, nor your hair is incredible.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Dom. It was so I remember working with you and it was so much fun. And thank you for just reminding us what it's like to be around you and to share some space with you. Thank you for taking your time to be with us. It means a great deal to us. So we're happy you agreed to do it. And it was lovely to see you again.
Speaker 4: Could you repeat that.
Speaker 2: Amazing love you? You killed it.
Speaker 1: We will thank you, Dona bye.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, guys, a legend. I mean, we've talked about the differences in being an actor being a singer, being I mean, stand up comedy is its entirely own thing, and I get a lot of I can't imagine you're opening for Share. It's crazy.
Speaker 5: People are there too because they like shares music, and then you've got to try and make them laugh nightmare.
Speaker 1: So people are like showing up in the middle of your thing, You've got people leaving. Oh, I've got to go to the bathroom before the show starts. I'm gonna go get a drink. I'm walking in, I'm looking for my seat, I'm catching up with a friend. I'm taking pictures of the stage. It's like, oh, I know, I can't even imagine. I don't know how many.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you do get callous to this point.
Speaker 5: You know, you get to this point where you're just like I don't give a you know, I'm just going to get and he obviously is there, but man, like I just I would never want to get there, Like I don't think I can through that experience, Like if people don't like me, and as a comedian, that's all you have to do, is like you willing to just put it out there told why you know, Oh.
Speaker 3: No, well the ultimate entertainers. I'm just gonna go out there by myself the microphone. There's no music, there's no anything. I'm just gonna tell stories and talk and.
Speaker 5: It would be so cool, like it's like a superpower, Like he still has that right, Like I bet you you could throw him in front of a crowd and be like, here's a mic go and he's got ten minutes in him or twenty minutes in no matter what.
Speaker 2: Absolutely no that I mean, I think that's so cool. I wish I could be that kind of I think it's so cool too. People say that to me, go, oh you should. You know, you're so funny on Boy's World. You should stand up, and it's like you could do stand you could, but it's so different. But that's what I'm saying. You just never did.
Speaker 5: If you, if you, if but you could, Like I mean, you do this with our live shows, like we get out there and you we have no land for you, and you're always ten times funnier than anybody I've ever seen, So you'd be fine.
Speaker 2: It's just whether you take that leap or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just so different. I'm still acting when I'm on stage, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it was interesting to hear that he started as as an actor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, like, yeah, it makes sense, given right, I haven't seen much of his work, but given what he did on our show, which is an incredible character work, it makes.
Speaker 2: Sense that he acts.
Speaker 5: I thought he was going to say he started as a stand up comedian, but for him, you know when he was going back to like, oh, yeah, no, I was in college play or as Nick an old Lace, And but you know, I was like, oh, this is that actually makes sense? And in some ways I think that there are a lot of stand up comedians who are actually just actors playing a stand up comedian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, I think that there's a certain I remember he brought up Louis c K. I remember I had never watched Louis stand up. I had only seen his show, And then when I went back to his stand up, I was like, oh, he was always an actor, Like he always struck me as an act and and and his sort of off the cuff like he was so good at making making it seem like he was making it up on the spot when it was actually very written, very rehearsed.
Speaker 4: Sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also think it's it's easier for a stand up comedian to go to acting than it is for an actor to go to stand up. Yeah, so I you know, it's it's that kind of I think when you've got the stand up in you and you start there and that's your base, you can then you've got the rhythm of the comedy to move into the acting world.
Speaker 2: And it's not that doesn't necessarily translate the other way around, you know, I know it doesn't necessarily translate. But I would not assume that your average stand up would also be a good actor.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, I'm saying that I don't think they the average stand up would be a good actor. I'm saying it's probably easier to transition from stand up to acting than it is from acting to shure.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, as far as like facing your fears, yes, yeah, yeah, well right, yes, I mean by that point, you've you've put it all on there on the line. It's you're as you're you're an open wound for everybody to see. So right, yeah right, crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail.
Speaker 2: Dot com and we have merch. Hey what a merch?
Speaker 1: Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 5: Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel. Wilfridell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubasch producer, Mattie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon.
Speaker 5: Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show, or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com