Speaker 1: Fellow ridiculous historians, we are returning to you with a bit of an epilogue to our continuing fascination with pirates. Did you know, friends and neighbors, that there was a pirate's paradise once upon a time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot like the wild West wasn't quite as wild as people think. Do check out our previous episode on that. It turns out that pirates depicted in fiction often bear very little resemblance to the real life historical ones. And in our previous conversations about some of history's most ridiculous pirates, we mentioned the quite egalitarian, dare we say democratic, ways that the pirates organized their society, and I believe we hinted at something of a pirate paradise.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, folks, Let's roll the tape. Ridiculous Histories, a production of iHeart Radio. Ridiculous Histories, a production of iHeart Radio. Are with a hard, are a vast and ahoy, fellow ridiculous historians, Welcome to the show. Today, we're diving into piracy. I guess diving is an accidental pun. There. Hi, my name is Ben, my name is no.
Speaker 2: Do were pirates known for their diving skills?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: They were maritime, you know, I would I would think they would go to a great length to stay as dry as possible.
Speaker 1: They were known for their non consensual diving skills when they had to walk the plank.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Oh I felt bad about that one. No, it's very I think we all feel bad about that, but we feel great about our super producer. Give it up for Casey Pegre. Now, none of us here in the studio, and hopefully none of you have been involved in acts of IRL piracy. Let's be honest. It is twenty nineteen, and in these our modern days, many people are digitally pirating things. I was about to say, I think we've all probably downloaded a Torrent or two in our day. We're not advocating that here, but you may remember that very pointed trailer where I told you about how piracy does hurt people. You wouldn't download a car, which you wouldn't download a car. That's where you wouldn't steal a car. That's right. So we're not talking about that kind of piracy. We're talking about a much much more brazen form of piracy. And I want to start the show off by talking about the fact that in this age of political correctness, and you know, people getting canceled. Why aren't people talking more about how pirates probably aren't the best role model for little kids. You know, you still can pirate hats and you know, pirates swords and little eye patches with the Jolly Roger on.
Speaker 1: His sports team.
Speaker 2: It's a sports team. It's a lego set, you know.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a series of lego sets.
Speaker 2: It's a series sets. It's a kid's cartoon. Remember the Pirates of Dark Water? Remember that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh deep cut. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I liked it too. They were sort of like future pirates.
Speaker 1: They were some apocalyptic sci fi pirates, you know. Uh, it's it's funny, Casey, you were mentioning that off the air as well. You specifically said, aren't pirates due to get canceled, which I thought was a great point. Man.
Speaker 2: It just seems like they get up to a lot of stuff that's not so great, you know.
Speaker 1: The lowest of hijinks. So nowadays we romanticize pirates. However, this was not always the case, and we should point out now that there are active pirates existing around the world right some based in Somalia, so based off different coasts, and these folks are not romanticized, but we have in our collective brains, we have this idealized, romanticized concept of a pirate, a swashbuckler, you know what I mean, A lovable rogue. This romanticization begins in eighteen eighty three. It's weird because we can pinpoint the exact moment where it began. It began, arguably with Treasure Island by Robert Lewis Stevenson. So Treasure Island comes out, and you guys remember Treasure Island, right of.
Speaker 2: Course, swashbuckling adventures on the high seas. I believe long John long John Silver. You know, all of the kind of like tropes of pirate ness were sort of solidified in that one book and then it was taken and run with and everything from the Pirates of Dark Water to the Disney Treasure Island to everything. Who knew that would work.
Speaker 1: It's a film franchise based on a ride, and I'll admit the ride's pretty dope, but it you know, when you're a kid, but it's it's problematic. It is definitely, as you guys said, romanticizing things. But yeah, Treasure Island has this tremendous influence on how we think of pirates today. It includes all those things that we consider cliches or mandatory parts of a pirate story, Treasure maps that have an X on the spot, one legged sailors who have a trusty parrot, you know what I mean, all the hits, all the all that slow cool jazz. But if we look at real pirates, we see a lot of dissonance between what they actually were and what Hollywood would have us believe. When we engage with things like talk like a Pirate Day or watching Pirates of the Caribbean nineteen or whatever, whichever one, they're wrong. How far are they into that? How many? How many?
Speaker 2: Well, Johnny Depp got canceled briefly, and I think he okay, now I can't remember because I think it maybe turned out that his estranged wife was actually being abusive towards him. I saw that pop up in the press and then it kind of went away. So that's yet to be determined. I know he's not in the next one, but they're doing it without him. They're doing it without him.
Speaker 1: Are they just gonna get Keith Stewart to do it?
Speaker 2: I'm not you mean Keith Richards.
Speaker 1: That's the one. Yeah, one of the Keith, one of the Keith. I'm not discriminatory when it comes to Keith. I just good a guy named Keith in there. Give him some dreadlocks, put him in the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just kind of prop him up with a bottle of rum.
Speaker 1: Is Keith Stewart a famous for series though? That's just I think that's a guy who went to my high school. It's possible we had kind of a Keith Richard's vibe.
Speaker 2: I don't know any famous Stuart's except for John Stewart, Rod Stewart. We're okay, well you got me there. He did not go to oscool.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, yeah, it's amazing this kind of this kind of vision, this pop culture phenomenon exists. But we can we can set the stage for today's show by looking at pirate fact versus pirate fiction. First things first, the life of a pirate was grip. They were ruthless. This was a time of homicide. This was a time of murder. If you think a captain Jack Sparrow realized in real life he could have never become the captain of a pirate ship. He would have been killed by his crew.
Speaker 2: Was it for wearing eyeshadow?
Speaker 1: I think it was less less the the coal liner and more the profound commitment to running away.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, because pirates didn't run away. If anything, they ran towards things, right, That's what they That's what they had to do. You know, they had to they had to capture these ships. We know that the most famous pirates were probably not the most successful as well.
Speaker 1: We also see this whole Bury treasure thing. You know, it probably happened several times, but it was not common. It was not normal. These guys. Pirates didn't live super long. They weren't like long term thinking, you know what I mean. It's like one of the guys selling drugs and the wire is not wondering about what he's going to do when he's eighty because he doesn't think he'll make it there.
Speaker 2: Only here's the thing, Ben, Some pirates did kind of live the equivalent of a Twilight Years retiring to Florida kind of situation, didn't they They did.
Speaker 1: They did nail on the head. This is something that the three of us recently found out about. Because we're all right, we understand that Hollywood doesn't depict a lot of the truths about pirates, like the whole walking the plank thing are and I made. Those are kind of Hollywood creations, but some pirates did make it. Some pirates did. As you say, Nol have a retirement plan. There is a small island off the coast of Madagascar that we call Nosey Burraja today weird, it's weird, it's a weird one. In the past it was known as the is Sainte Marie. Casey, could you help us out with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll stall Mari. That sounds about right, Casey, and Ben on the case whoa and noul I thank you. I appreciate that, Ben, but you nailed it in the first place. We just got a little bit of confirmation from our resident, what do you call him, a Francophone. Yeah, Casey Pegram, Casey Pegrim, the.
Speaker 1: Man, the myth, the legend. And speaking of men, myths and legends, there was in the Indian Ocean again, just off the coast of Madagascar, a real life pirate paradise. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When about in the neighborhood of one thousand pirates weren't out pirrating, they can't. This was kind of their summer home. You know they're off season paradise. There was a map from seventeen thirty three that was discovered of this area and it was simply headed with the Island of Pirates. It is near the East Indies trade route, very very centrally located to where these folks would have been pillaging and pirrating and looting and raping their way across the high seas. It was very convenient and it was the perfect place to it. It was like a real life treasure island in theory anyway, right, because it was perfect tucked away location where they could hide all of their ill gotten booty. I like saying booty, right right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Since a pirate named Adam Baldridge started making that his base in sixteen ninety one, this became a home away from home or in some cases a legit first home for a lot of pirates and it went on until seventeen nineteen with a pirate named John pro There were multiple reasons for this tiny island to be attractive to pirates. They first off enjoyed proximity to multiple trading routes. You know what I mean. This ships would be returning from the East Indies with fresh goods, fine fine clothing, spices and so on. And then it had a bunch of bays and inlets that were protected geographically from storms. It was situated in quiet, easy water. It had tons of fruit. You could just live off the land if you had to. And so a bunch of or make their own rum or make their own rum. Oh that's probably more important than the fruit. That was a big That was a biggie, I think yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 2: And they lived in these little huts, right, They were like little wooden huts, and each one was marked with an emblem or one of you know, the pirate the ubiquitous pirate flags, which presumably would have been different designs for the different crews that were under serving under these different captains. And also, wouldn't you think, man, that some of these factions wouldn't necessarily be like vying for the same stuff, Like there wasn't necessarily like an overall brotherhood of pirates. To my understanding, it was sort of like every man, every crew for themselves kind of situation. And yet they managed to coexist on this island, That's true. Quite a few of them managed to coexist, So maybe they had kind of a truce situation. But we're talking legendary real pirates, William Kidd, Robert Culliford, Henry Avery, Abraham, Samuel Thomas, two and so on. The island had a main town called Embodi Futatra, which is a mouthful. And they also had family here, you know. They they met women who were native to the area, and they had children, and they evolved this sort of non criminal lifestyle, but they took a bunch of stuff with them. So the island today remains allegedly home to massive amounts of missing loot or as you prefernal booty, booty, booty hard d. So we're talking gold, we're talking coins, works of art, religious artifacts, precious stones, and legend has it that the treasure of William Kidd is still buried somewhere in this pirate island, in the bay near the main town, and people have been hunting around this area for buried treasure for decades and decades and decades and decades. But one thing that really fascinated us was the culture that sprang up on this island, particularly that there is an actual pirate cemetery that's nuts, there's actually there, you know, like the whole nine. They are tombstones.
Speaker 1: They're weird messages and codes and skulls and there's actually there's skulls inscribed on the tombstones.
Speaker 2: Totally, and that whole Jolly Roger imagery. Yes, so it's not a huge one. It's on a hill shaded by palm trees and it overlooks the ocean and pretty small. Only about thirty real life irl pirates are buried there, and they were buried there because they were residents of this island. This was their home away from their home on the high Seas, I guess. And you can still go visit this site today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can go tour it the same way that you could see another local attraction. It's only about three or four dollars to go us. There's a small pathway behind this long way wall which is south of the capital, and signs from there will lead you to the cemetery. There's a small hut where you can pay your entrance fee and you can learn more about the pirates that are buried in the in the area, and then you can walk over to Saint Pierre. The problem is that over the years, surprise, surprise, not a lot of people have put time into taking care of the gravestones on the grave site. So a lot of a lot of graves and crips were damaged because because of a very understandable crime. I have to say, guys, if I grew up in this area, or if I were interested in being around pirates and finding their treasure, I would totally mess with their graves because I would figure they would be buried with their stuff. Because again I have like a goonies level understanding of real pirates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, to be fair, that's probably one of the more historically accurate pirate films that's out there, right right right. Mine was Pippy long Stocking or Pippy long Stocking. I do she was? She was she a pirate. She wasn't a she was on a pirate ship. There was a pirate, I believe. I believe she served under some sort of pirate and she had a monkey, right I think?
Speaker 1: So, you know, I mainly remember her hair. But it's it's true, though, this is one of the misc inceptions that's leading to pretty serious damage to this real life pirate cemetery. Pirates didn't again, they didn't really bury treasure. It could happen, but it was not commonplace instead. Just imagine if you listening and Casey and Noel and I are all together and we're pirates. We're sailing the high seas, and we rob a ship and we get our booty with the hard tea. Then we're going to keep it on this ship, and then later we'll divide it up amongst ourselves. Again, this idea of buried treasure comes from Treasure Island, and the X marks the spot. The whole nine largely fictive. The only person we know for sure to bury anything was Captain Kidd, and the entire reason he buried his treasure was to keep it away from the Governor of New York. He buried it outside of New York, I don't know, like Yonkers or something. I'm kidding. He didn't do it in Yonkers.
Speaker 2: So one of the I don't know, slightly more well known, certainly not as well of them as Billy. The kid pirates that was laid to rest in this graveyard and spent a lot of time on this island was a French Corsair by the name of Olivier Lavasier or a ka LaBouche, LaBouche LaBouche.
Speaker 1: Casey, can we get a sound effect for that.
Speaker 2: Of course, that means the mouth. I don't know if he has some sort of weird snaggletooth kind of situation going on, or if he just talked too much. But apparently dead men tell no tales. But here's the thing, LaBouche did tell tales after his passing, in the form of a cipher. I know you're a fan of a good cipher, and we're not talking about a freestyle rap, ben, are we no?
Speaker 1: But fun fact, I am actually very scarily to freestyling. Yeah, we're talking about a cipher is in a code. So he's executed in seventeen thirty for as many, many, many many crimes as a scaly wag, a buccaneer and so on. But apparently, moments before his execution he yelled, find my treasure, the one who may understand, and hurled a necklace into the crowd. And this necklace had sort of a note, but it was actually a cipher is a seventeen line coded message. And you can see you can see photographs of this cipher on a great article by Magellan Times. The cipher itself remained It's unsolved today, right, No one's cracked it.
Speaker 2: I believe that's true, and not that it wasn't attempted, because maybe it's just maybe no one's figured it out yet. I mean, on the same article there is like a key with some of the little symbols and what letter they're present, But obviously it didn't do the trick.
Speaker 1: And not for nothing people have been trying to find this for such a long time. There's a guy named Barry Clifford who is a real life treasure hunter and somewhat successful too. That that's nuts to me. Do you guys think about that. We're here in our podcast studio and we're we're having a lovely time making shows and exploring these stories, but this guy is actually out hunting treasure. I gotta say, if I had to pick another job, no offense to you guys, but I would totally be a treasure hunter. Would you guys be in like if we had a chance of finding treasure.
Speaker 2: Like Steve Zisu's style, Yes, well he was more like a naturalist, like a figure, but yeah, I'd be down, especially if you knew a good area to look. Where might that be?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It's almost as though we've been talking about what might have been a hotbed of pirate activity. It boggles the boggles the mind, and it boggles Barry Clifford's mind to the point where he decided, surely there are remnants of sunk in pirate galleys and all of the accompanying booty littered throughout Sant Marie. He told The Daily Mail in twenty fifteen that pirates had more money than they could spend in ten lifetimes. So surely there's stuff squirreled away in these little lagoons or you know, in caves or what have you. Right, yeah, yeah, so surely he must have had complete success, and he is now a very wealthy man.
Speaker 1: Right he changed his name to Jeff Bezos. No, he goes on and he says, he's like, yeah, you know, back in the day, if you were a pirate, this island's where you would go. It's where all the pirates hung out.
Speaker 2: Why is this guy so haggard sounding.
Speaker 1: He's lived a hard life, you know what I mean. He doesn't wear sunscreen, so that's the secret. It's very apparently, it's very bad for your throat not to wear sunscreen. But he has been exploring the island for almost well more than twenty years, and during this time, he's found thirteen separate distinct ship and you can see you can see photos, you can see some of the stuff that he's that he's extracted from these crash sites or these uh oh, some of these ships were probably scuttled too, if their damage was too great. And I know you love that word.
Speaker 2: Scuttle, but scuttle, but would be rumors if I say scuttled, but I said scuttled.
Speaker 1: Some of these ships were scuttled. I know that's one of your favorite.
Speaker 2: Words, is but it would have been funny if you had said, I know some of these ships were scuttled, but.
Speaker 1: It would have been yeah, it's true. The jokes that would have been everybody who's seen Hunger Games, go ahead, kiss your fingers, do the uh what what was that motion?
Speaker 2: Oh that's I always thought of that as sort of like a badass like sign off, like I'm out yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think both of us have done that in social situations before. But anyway, Yes, he has not found treasure. Clifford has not. He has, however, found religious artifacts. He's found ships, of course, and pieces of ships. One of his big one of his big recoveries was an early statue of Jesus Christ from the thirteenth or fourteenth century. So who knows whether you have a dream job or something that's just sort of a means to an end right now, maybe a career in treasure hunting is for you. It takes some dedication, and it sounds like it takes a lot of overhead, but I would personally love it. I would love it if someone listening now actually found buried treasure, you know what I mean, because even we know it was super unusual. No, it's largely a myth, but that doesn't mean it's totally a myth. The treasure's out there right Also hashtag no oak.
Speaker 2: Island Remind me about Oak Island again?
Speaker 1: Then the Oak Island money Pit. We did a show on this for stuff they don't want you to know, and the Oak Island money Pit in Nova Scotia is thought to be a site of largely unrecovered buried treasure. Now this has also become a reality show phenomenon, so the producers got involved and now you will see all kinds of here you go scuttle butt at about what's actually in the ground there.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing that for me, Ben.
Speaker 1: Hey Man, I got your back. So some things have been carbon dated. Some people have claimed that they found something, but they haven't found any significant treasure. The thing is, there are real buried treasures out there, and I would I would love to be a part of finding one. So you know, hit us up, Hit us up on Ridiculous Historians if you have a If you have a pitch for a likely sight of buried treasure, you can find us on Facebook where we are Ridiculous Historians.
Speaker 2: It's a group that we have. You might have heard of a time or two. We tend to mention it. You can join just simply by saying Ben in my name, and the same way you might some and a genie in some sort of secret cave.
Speaker 1: And of course there you will also see our good friends Superducer, Casey Pegrim and Christopher Hasiotis, among others. You know, I noticed some of our coworkers are sort of stealth hanging out on that page.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that? Totally a lot of Larkin.
Speaker 1: You can also find us on Twitter and Instagram. If you want to get a peek behind the curtain, you can follow. You can follow us on our personal instagrams. I am at Ben Bolin.
Speaker 2: I am at Embryonic Insider and big thanks to super producer Casey Pegrim. As always thanks to Alex Williams who composed our theme. Thanks to our Here in Spirit cohort Christopher Hasiotis, who is one day going to see the light about how amazing a movie Mandy is.
Speaker 1: And let us know about your favorite pirate throughout history, And.
Speaker 2: Let me know was Pippy Longstocking a pirate? I don't know. I forget, it was a long time ago. We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.