Speaker 1: The toys.
Speaker 2: I'm a homegrown that knows a little bit about everything, and everybody don't know if you don't lie about that.
Speaker 1: Right, Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 2: It's Laura la Rosa and this is another episode of The Latest with Laura l Rosa. This is your daily dial on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations that shake the wrong baby. Now today we're gonna skip getting into the behind the scenes of the Grind because we're gonna get right on into the Latest. There is a lot going on, and honestly, right now, behind the scenes, it's just a lot.
Speaker 1: Happening, h a lot of like stuff.
Speaker 2: I'll give you guys an update of some family stuff went down, y'all know. I'll let y'all know the things and all of the all of the ins and outs. But yeah, my behind the scenes to the ground right now is looking like balancing being a daughter, granddaughter, work while things that I was gonna say things is going haywire, but I wouldn't. I'm not going to claim haywire because God is God got us good. But you know, things taking place, but we still push through and we believe God at the end of the day. So yeah, I'll be back with a check it at the top of the week. Let's get into the latest. So there's a lady that is going viral right now, y'all. This is a QBC anchor and this woean. Her name is Tony Bretton. Wow, that's crazy because I got a nlessor about Tony Braxton. Her name is Tony Bretton. She had a little slip up at work. Okay, she made a little oopsie at work. Let's take a listen, because she was on air doing her live TV hit. She's there, she's promoting you know, QBC and for those of you guys who do not know, QVC is.
Speaker 1: A shopping network.
Speaker 2: They promote you know, various products from fashion to beauty to home throughout their throughout their segments. And it's so crazy because I I tried twice to become a QVC anchor just because like it was such a stable job and you're on TV and it's right there, it's not too far from where I'm from in Delaware, so maybe fifteen to twenty minutes out, I was like, Okay, I could do this. It is a very rigorous audition process. They don't play about the look and feel of their host. But yeah, so this woman is now going viral because.
Speaker 1: Of a blowjob. Let's take a listen to.
Speaker 3: Show the texture and this waves pattern again. It looks like you went and got a blow job at your blowout at your salon and it looks beautiful, y'all.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know, baby girl was embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it was more like a funny moment.
Speaker 2: And it's crazy because I'm one of those people that, like my mind would be thinking one thing and then like I'll literally do a whole another or say a whole other thing, and I can't explain why it happened sometimes like literally everybody around me. And sometimes this is because I'm moving too fast, but everybody around me knows this about me, Like that is very likely to happen nine times out of ten with me. So her saying blowjob over, she was trying to say blow out, like hair blowout. They're promoting different hair products, and she's been in the business for thirty years, and you know, she tried to play it all. She like keeps going. She pauses for a second. Y'all heard her like laugh a little bit. Now what you guys can't see as she's laughing. At one point, she like goes down, like she sinks down behind like this like table that is set up in front of her, because she immediately.
Speaker 1: Realized it's live. Like you can't take the words back.
Speaker 2: Now, Let's take a listen to Tony Bratton, who TMC did an interview with after this moment.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I've been doing television and the shopping channels for like almost thirty years now, so you know you would think it's old hat, and usually it is. But I know, like in my case, sometimes you never really know what's gonna come out out of my mouth. I mean, because when we're doing a show, you're always your mind is going fifty directions. You're thinking of your models, you're thinking of the mannequin heads going through the colors. You're thinking of the next positioning to get all the information out to the customers that they're wunning. Right, So your brain is really kind of multi functioning, and you're kind of in autopilot when you're talking because you've said this so many times. So the fact that when I said what I said, what I meant to say was a blow out. Obviously it didn't come out that way, and so at the moment it comes out, you almost say to yourself, I just say what I think I said, right. So it was one of those moments, and of course you can't grab those words back. They're out there. So at the time I was thinking and I tried to real quick correct it and say the correct terminology a blowout at Drew's salon. But by then, obviously everyone caught it. I was hearing snickering, and then you know, when you're not supposed to laugh, it just makes it that much more funny. I got this morning the standard, Tony, we understand what happened during your show yesterday, and we really appreciate and they're so kind. I mean, I've only been doing this for almost thirty years, so to have a blooper like this just innocently come out, you have to go with it. And as long as as we all feel like we were respectful that nothing was intentional, and of course it wasn't that in hindsight. They said, I hope you're able to not be mortified, and that y'all about it.
Speaker 1: Let's say something.
Speaker 2: People don't give it up for the girlies enough, who'll be doing this live TV thing? I so we do the Netflix live at the breakfast club. But then at TMZ we used to have TMZ Live, which was kind of live to tape, so certain things could be pulled out.
Speaker 1: But live TV or live hits.
Speaker 2: I used to do a live affiliate hits to like the local news channels, to like DC. I did it to Philly one time, or I would do Orlando a lot, to like some of the Fox affiliates that TMZ had.
Speaker 1: Live hits. Ain't no joke, man.
Speaker 2: Now, granted I would have a prompter and I know what, Like QBC, there's like prompter work and stuff like that they do as well too. But a lot of it is just like you have experienced the products, you've spent some time with it, you talking through it.
Speaker 1: It is not no joke.
Speaker 2: This is a pretty funny moment though, And as y'all, if y'all couldn't tell by her voice, she's a very white lady. I'm glad it was just because when I'm glad, it was just blowjob, she said, because y'all know, every now and then on a hot mic with a you know what, I'm saying, you get some words that ain't supposed to be said for really, this is what I'm talking about. Literally, that was so on point and not even playing that he just walked in here because he he poops every day.
Speaker 1: At this time.
Speaker 2: You just never know what's going to happen in this business. But she handled it well though. But it's going super superviral. Now let's get into Tony Braxton. Okay, Now, I don't know if you guys remember, but some like time back, Tony Braxton did Oprah, and I remember people were criticizing Oprah for this. She was talking to Oprah about well, Oprah was talking to her about her spending and.
Speaker 1: It was people basically felt like.
Speaker 2: Because she had Tony Braxton has filed for bankruptcy back in nineteen ninety eight. You know, she went through a battle with her record label over money. There's like people you know, talking to her about her spending habits as well. But Tony Broxen has always done well for herself. But there's a story out right now that Tony Braxon has just resolved a six figure taxling years after that infamous bankruptcy battle. So there was a federal taxling that was placed on June twenty second of this year, saying that Tony Braxon owed the irs five hundred and ninety eight thousand dollars. Now, the way that the debt was broken down was there was a little bit over sixty nine thousand dollars that she owed for twenty twenty two, a little bit over two hundred and seventy eight thousand for twenty twenty three, and a bit over two hundred and fifty thousand that she owed for twenty twenty four, which equaled that five hundred and ninety eight thousand, So a little bit under six hundred thousand dollars, it's almost a million dollars. But a rep for Tony Braxon is speaking out saying that she resolved the bill, and I think, I mean, look, I know Tony Braxon also filed for bankruptcy back in twenty ten because she was saying that she owed a lot of money to creditors. It seems like, you know, that issue with her label and you know that conversation like really kind of messed her up a bit. She closed that second bankruptcy in twenty fifteen, though, But to me, it seems like whenever I hear these stories of people that are like dealing with the bankruptcy things and trying to figure out things with money. It's like a learning process in real time. Like even me for myself, like when you set up business within everything that whether you're on camera making these little bloopers, or you on camera or behind a microphone like Tony Braxton, Like there's a business to all of this, and a lot of what you're learning in real time is literally in real time because for a lot of us, you know, those first hits of success, those first hits of those amount of money, it's your first time experiencing it. And even if you're in a family like the Braxton family where you guys are able to pass down information and knowledge and all of the.
Speaker 1: Things, you're still doing things. You know, your situation is different than other people's.
Speaker 2: You're having to trust people to handle money, manage money. Like that is the most frightening thing for me, Like I think about it all the time, Like and right now I'm actually trying to figure out you know, like accountants and you know who I trust with taxes and even with me, I was like I told my manager, I'm like, yo, whoever do want my taxes.
Speaker 1: I want the literal proof.
Speaker 2: I want to know. I want to break down, and I don't want it from the firm. I want what they received from the IRS of what is old and what it's to be paid, and then I want proof that it was paid like science so delivered.
Speaker 1: And I don't want it just from them.
Speaker 2: I want us to have our own outreach like situation we do to the IRS to confirm what the firm is telling us. Because most of the people's stories I hear, and this isn't the case with Tony Braxon because again I mentioned, you know that she went through a battle over money with her record label. But like a lot of times when I hear people settling, like like you know, tax lians and all the things, it's a lot of it is like they weren't ain't her taxes because not even because they just didn't have the money to pay it, but they might have had the money but it was being mismanaged or people were taking the money they were supposed to be paying. I am so I'm so scared to experience what I haven't experienced, although I'm so excited about it because I hear stories like this and even you know, the battle with Tony Braxtt and the label in the late in ninety seven ninety eight, she sued the Face Records and Arister Records Babyface, Babyface's label through her first two albums, I'm Sorry She's in her contract. She sued the Face Records and Arister Records, which people you know will instantly associate with Babyface to end her contract so through her first two albums. Though her first two albums generated and estimated one hundred and seventy million dollars, her royalty rate left her making roughly thirty five cents per album, so her high career expenses recycled advances kept her in debt, leading for her to file Chapter seven bankruptcy in ninety eight and then again I mentioned she had to fill again in twenty ten, which was closed out in twenty fifteen. So she was earning, according to reports, thirty three cents to thirty five cents per album. So despite being a multi platinum global success. And I say that you know people will associate you know, ours, the Records in the Face with Babyface and also La Read as well too. But it is definitely worth mentioning that her issue wasn't with Babyface. Babyface was actually extremely supportive of Tony Braxton during the dispute. He actually testified in court about her deal being unfair and helped her get to a settlement that the two you know, were able to help like it helped her, and they later went on to collaborate successfully on their Grammy winning debut album, Love.
Speaker 1: Marriage and Divorce and tell that you could put this part.
Speaker 2: And now there were reports during all of this, during like you know, that whole back and forth, and you know, ninety seven ninety eight when she was suing the label of the Face Records and his parent company, ares to.
Speaker 1: Be that.
Speaker 2: La Read had actually stopped taking her calls, that they had like you know, fallen out about this, but they were able to resolve it. And again, as I mentioned, Babyface actually vouched for her and testify for her and reported that you know, her multidillion her multi her settlement, I mean, I'm sorry, her contract that she signed was unfair. And then there was a multi million dollar settlement that people believed to later have been revealed as twenty two million dollars in a restructured contract. She's had to sue managers, like she's been through a lot. That's what I'm saying, Yo, This business is so crazy. I reported a story about Dame Dash and trustee over his current bankruptcy, who has already stated that they don't really believe that he's bank Druppt. And for those of you guys who don't know Dame Dash, but you should, but not Dame Dash, you know a former music executive he helped create Rockefellow with Jay Z, discovered that you know, together they discovered Kanye West and so many other major things, rock Aware, so many things. Right, he's been dealing with bankruptcy and in those conversations and recently as of July sixth, I'm sorry, as of August sixth, there was a trustee in the bankruptcy who's been investigating it that asks a judge to approve the cell of his life rights and to kind of set up some stipulations around what the life rights sale and or auction would be, you know, when how it would go down, if it would be a bid or auction or a sale, all of that, and they presented some parties involved. One of the parties, I think they're looking at anywhere from like thirty two to thirty seven thousand dollars that it's been offered for buying it.
Speaker 1: And this would mean I mean, this would mean everything.
Speaker 2: This would mean you get his image, his likeness, his voice, you get to tell his story. The doc says, you get rights and ownership over him, his likeness, his image, his characteristics, and events of his life from his childhood until.
Speaker 1: The petition date.
Speaker 2: And they also believe that he has a ton of different photos videos from the nineties up until twenty twenty five, which would include a lot of that Rockefeller era. So it's a really big deal if this goes through and if this is sold. And the reason why they're doing this is because he is over twenty million dollars in debt at this time, across tax you know, unpaid taxes, the child support that is unpaid as well too.
Speaker 1: To one of his children's mothers.
Speaker 2: Like Dame Dash claimed that the reason why he was seeing so much debt, especially when it came to the taxes, because of what I mentioned earlier, he had somebody paying his bills that wasn't this is what he's clinton. Let's sake a listen of when Dame Dash was on the Breakfast Club some months ago. It's one hundred and fifty K and child support that's listed in the bankruptcy. That's child support, right, Yeah, how did you get there with having that amount unpaid?
Speaker 4: I've been paying two hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year in child support for the last twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Tew you.
Speaker 4: All my kids went to college for free. They all living houses, and I pay a two fifty a year in child support. So my kids salary is probably as much as yours. And I'm broke. Yeah, I'm broke because I give it all to my family. Rich people have family offices. You don't put things in your name. You have a family office. When I'm behind on child support, it always gets paid, right. It went to jail.
Speaker 1: The last time I was behind, it was a million. I paid it.
Speaker 4: That sounds broke to you. If all my children and I pay their colleges up front, they don't have that, that sounds broke to you. Every one of my baby mothers has two or three houses, that sounds broke to you. It's not about me. Are certain people I know, I'll google them they have no money. I google the family office ten billion dollars. Rich people don't put anything in their name, but you don't know that, and I feel sorry for you because you don't get to see the day life.
Speaker 1: I am not trying to get here.
Speaker 2: But you know the guys Charlamagne Envy, they always say, you don't laugh, you learn, And that's what I mean. Like when I read these stories, always like okay, so wait, what happened? What happened? Like how can I make sure these things don't happen? And I always hear, you know, you just gotta get really good people around you and trust people. But it's like I've heard stories of people trusting people for years and years and years and still getting you know what I mean, like things done to them that shouldn't have been done when it comes to their money and their money management.
Speaker 1: Man, Like this is such a.
Speaker 2: You have to trust industry full of people you don't know if you can trust. That is the that's the thing that is the you know, the conversation here in the in today's episode. So yeah, we're all navigating, we're all figuring it out at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: I'm Laura la Rosa.
Speaker 2: This has been another episode of the Latest with Laura La Rosa.
Speaker 1: I tell you, guys, every single episode.
Speaker 2: Y'all could be anywhere with any old body talking about all of the things, but you guys choose to be right here with me, my Lowriders.
Speaker 1: I'll catch you in my next episode.