Speaker 1: Your view of the sky. You have a connection to the Internet and this right now. A lot of this is free, but of course the carriers are gonna make and the satellite companies are gonna make a lot of money on this. One estimate has this expected to reach sixteen point eight billion dollars by twenty twenty eight. This is called direct to satellite services. Now, this is very different from what we used to have. You might be thinking, rich, We've had satellite phones forever. Those had a giant antenna and the satellites were slow with connectivity. This is brand new. Now you can use the smartphone you already have to connect to a satellite. This is called direct to sell and a lot of smartphones already support this.
Speaker 2: So let's go through the list.
Speaker 1: Team Mobile and Starlink they are definitely ahead of everyone else. They launched their public beta during the Super Bowl, so pretty much anyone can sign up for this, no matter what carrier you have. You do not have to be a Team Mobile customer. I signed up and I'm still in the waiting list and they're rolling out the access to this. So this works on T Mobile spectrum they already have, which means a lot of the smartphones that are in people's pockets will work with this service. We're talking iPhone fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, Google Pixel nine, a bunch of the Motorolas from twenty twenty four and later, a bunch of the Samsungs, the A series, the S series, the Z series when it comes to the popular Samsungs all the way back to the S twenty one edition, and then of course some of T Mobile's own phones. Now, this will also support wireless emergency alerts, which means even if you're in an area with no cell signal, you'll still get those critical updates. Right now, they're just supporting text messaging, but in the future you're gonna be able to do voice, data and picture messaging through this. Now, this is free through July twenty twenty five, So if you want to try this out and you've got a smartphone that works with it, go for it. You don't need to switch services, you'll just add this to your cell phone through an eSIM. Basically, this will be included eventually for T Mobiles top of the line customers if you're on the Go five G Next plan, but fifteen dollars a month for other T Mobile customers. Twenty dollars a month if you're not a T Mobile customer. And this is the first time that we've seen pricing on a satellite service on the smartphone. So Apple has had satellite texting on their iPhone since the iPhone fourteen, but we never got a price tag. At first, they said it was going to be free for two years, and they later extended that to three years, so we never really had a price tag. How do you put a price tag on such a critical service. Well, now we have it, So fifteen dollars a month for T Mobile users that are not on that top of the line plan, twenty dollars a month for non T Mobile users. So what is AT and T doing. They're partnering with a company called AST Space Mobile, and I would say they're probably the furthest behind on this whole satellite texting and their idea is to focus on remote areas and also their first response under network. So they've got this AT and T first Net Emergency network, which kind of prioritizes emergency communications when there is an issue, and so people like you know, firefighters and police officers can get their calls and texts prioritized when there's an issue on the network, and we saw that of course recently with all of the hurricanes in the Carolinas and in Florida and also the wildfires here in southern California. They have not announced any pricing or even a launch date, but they are obviously doing this now. Verizon, like I said, they had the commercial during the Super Bowl. You saw Buzz Aldrin on it. Also, they brought back their the test network guy. He's an actor, Paul Marcarelli, So they brought him back. Remember he was the big Verizon guy. He was in all those commercials and then all of a sudden they dropped him, and then he went to Sprint and he started doing Sprint commercials. And now of course you don't even have Sprint. They were purchased by T Mobile, and now he's back to Verizon. So anyway, it was kind of fun to see him back in the commercial, but he was.
Speaker 2: The can you hear me now?
Speaker 3: Guy?
Speaker 1: But Verizon's taking a slightly different approach like T Mobile is like basically, hey, wherever you are, you're going to be covered. Verizon saying, look, we're going to cover areas without coverage, so dead zones, that's what we're focusing on first and we know Verizon's got a great network in general, so they're saying, look, we're just going to kind of patch the areas for now that are dead zones so that we have coverage everywhere. Whether it's cellular, traditional or satellite, you're going to be covered on Verizon. And they've said they've invested one hundred million dollars in this ast space mobile.
Speaker 2: So there they are.
Speaker 1: Now, Amazon, as I've mentioned before on this show, they are launching their rival to Starlink. It's called Project Kuiper. They're launching three thousand satellites eventually, and this year they've got i think they said eighty three launches expected, and they're going to launch their service by the end of the year. Now when we say end of the that could be like December of twenty twenty five. But again, this is going to be more competition, and they are saying that their service is going to be cheaper and faster than Starlink. So we'll see what happens there. But the good news is for consumers, we're going to have more options now. Like I mentioned, there already is satellite texting on the iPhone. They launched emergency SOS via satellite With the iPhone fourteen, Apple partnering with a company called global Star. And if you're keeping track, yes, there's a lot of different companies that are in this right. I've mentioned Skylow, I've mentioned Space Mobile, I've launched global Star, I've mentioned Amazon, I've mentioned Starlink. So there's a lot of companies that are in this game. But with Apple, you have to aim your iPhone at a satellite in the sky, and this is very much different than Starlink, which kind of works in your pocket. So with iOS eighteen, recently they expanded the emergency SOS to work with regular texting, so you can just text friends and family over I message. And again they have not put a price. They've included this in the price of the iPhone for going on three years now, and they have not said what the price is going to be.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Samsung just had a brand new phone come out, the S twenty five, and this does have support for satellite messaging, but Samsung is not teaming up with anyone. They're just letting the carriers handle it. So already Verizon said they will support it. Obviously, Tea Mobile can support it through Starlink and whatever AT and T eventually does that will be supported as well Google Pixel if you've got a recent model Pixel Pixel nine has satellite sos and the way they're doing it is again just for emergencies you need. When you have an emergency at dial nine one one, it'll put you through a safety questionnaire to get you the help you need. And they said it was going to be free for the first two years, very similar to Apple, but again that's limited to just emergency use. So where does this lead us?
Speaker 2: Apple?
Speaker 1: So far they've had emergency satellite texting in general texting on their phones for a couple of years. Samsung leaving it up to the bars. Google has got it, but nothing full just yet. But I think in general, all this connectivity is a good thing for consumers. We're going to see faster speeds, wider coverage areas, and you'll be able to have a signal and be able to connect with people no matter where you are. The downside of all of this a lot of satellites in our sky, So this requires thousands of satellites and like I just mentioned, there are so many companies doing this, So what about collisions between these satellites. You think one of these things might malfunction, space junk, light, pollution and regulations. Who's keeping track of all these satellites in the sky right now? It's a free for all. So we've got a lot going on with satellite messaging. But the good news is for us, it means your text is always going to go through eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. While you're there, be sure to look at this weekend's newsletter. It is free. You can sign up for it. It'll be in your inbox every week. Uh talk about all the cool stuff that I talk about in this show, but in newsletter format. Uh this week. Uh, let's see Apple TV. Man, I can't believe this. The Apple TV app is now available on Android devices. When I heard this news, my jaw just about dropped. So Apple TV is you know, it's It's been around on different devices other than just Apple devices, like on some smart TVs. But this is the first time they've ever had this app for Android phones. So now you can download Apple TV app on Android smartphones and tablets. And the whole point of this is really to give you access to Apple TV Plus and MLS Season Pass, which is soccer through you know, the Android phone. So Netflix is everywhere. All these other streaming services are pretty much on every platform. Apple was the last holdout. They're like, now we just want the iPhone and iOS devices and Apple devices, but when you want the viewers, you got to put these things where the viewers are. And there are millions of Android users out there. So Apple designed this app from the ground up to work on Android. And if you've searched for it before and you've been frustrated because you can't watch Apple TV Plus programming like you know, Ted Lasso and Severance, They've got this new movie The Gorge. Now you can do that all on your Android smartphone. So again this the downside of this app is that it does not give you access to your iTunes library. So don't think because you have this app, you can now access all of the movies and TV shows that you've either rented or purchased in the past. This is just for streaming at this point of Apple TV Plus and MLS, you can also download those for offline viewing, like if you're on a plane or something like that. But again, you will not get access to your library of iTunes content. Maybe that's coming in the future. Apple would not say, but you know, hopefully they will. I think that would be a smart way to do it. Let's see. The other thing is they're fully embracing Android, so you can actually subscribe to Apple TV Plus or the MLS Season Pass directly through Google Play. So that was another surprise because I think, I think with Apple Music, because they do have another app for Android, Apple Music, but I don't think you can subscribe directly through Google Play. But I have an Apple Music account already, so I just download it and there. It is also no casting, so if you want to cast your videos from your phone to a TV screen, that is not available through this app right now. But kind of a big deal. I mean literally, to sit through a meeting and hear Apple even say Android by not like kind of knocking it, because usually they've said Android in the past and their keynotes, but it's always mocking it. But to have them say like, here it is we have an app for Android. I was just like, what that is so wild to have, like to imagine like Apple engineers just sitting there like having to create an Android app. It probably kills him. Let's go to Alison in Newport Beach. Allison, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hey, Rich, I hope you can help me out. I here in Newport Beach. I run a small children's cooking business out of my home, and I've got this cute little Instagram I've built up over seven years, and I own my own IP so I owned my trademark, I owned my images of what I post, and recently I just had something that got posted and taken down and I reposted it, not really thinking anything bad would happen because it was taking a while for Apple to get back to us. And then my account is now completely disabled, permanently deleted, And despite my attempts to work with the AI chatbots and send them all of my patents for the US Patent Office, I'm getting nowhere.
Speaker 5: And I'm just.
Speaker 4: Wondering if there's anything you can suggest I can do to get human eyes on this, because it was obviously an error that this happened, and I'm just kind of devastated that all these beautiful memories of these kids cooking with me are now just completely deleted.
Speaker 1: Well that's unfortunate, but yes, this can happen on these services because they do use a healthy dose of AI to help them kind of screen things and go through the posts. Now, I had my account taken down randomly. I logged in one day and I've never posted anything bad, and they said copyright infringement. We're taking this down and in ninety days, we're deleting your account completely. So how did your account get deleted completely? Did you cause you reposted the same content or did they give you those ninety days because usually they have someone review it.
Speaker 6: They didn't give me the ninety days.
Speaker 4: This happened about two weeks ago, And what I did was I thought that perhaps maybe the that set up my marketing, maybe one of the image logos I was using for like like a little insignia of.
Speaker 7: Like a whisk and a spoon or.
Speaker 4: Something, maybe that I didn't purchase the rights to that and I didn't know, So I took that off and tried to replace it with another just stock image through pick monkey, and I reposted it thinking I was correcting the issue and it was like strike three year out and they just permanently deleted my account. And I've I've sent an email to them twice and they just said, no, you're you're, you have violated our intellectual property. And I don't know if it's because they don't understand that I away.
Speaker 2: So here's the deal.
Speaker 1: So well, I think you're gonna have to keep appealing to them. You've got to go on their website and appeal. The only other thing you can do is maybe go to the verified program and see if you can pay for that, and that will help someone get to uh, you know, get a human looking at this account. Hang on the line. I'm going to give you a link that's important here.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. If you love to travel, you've probably visited the pointsguide dot com. I first interviewed founder Brian Kelly about ten years ago, just after he started it. Now he's back to share some tech travel hacks from his new book, How to Win It Travel.
Speaker 9: I started the Points Guy in twenty ten. It was just a fun side blog to help my friends and family members get the most value out of their points because I could not believe no one knew how to use Frekamplyer miles. So started as a fun little blog that just sort of blew up.
Speaker 2: How have points been to you? Where have you gone?
Speaker 3: Where haven't I gone? I mean points can take you anywhere.
Speaker 9: And for me and what I want to let people know, points are like an insurance policy when you have points. When the airline cancels your flight and you see a two hour line to speak to an agent, I don't wait in that line. I booked my next flight with Points. I'll handle the refund with the airline later. It's a mentality like being good about your points is harnessing your financial strength and just having the flexibility to go anywhere. And I've been some admit I love South Africa. That's one of my favorite places to visit on points.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the book How to Win at Travel? What inspired you to write this?
Speaker 9: What inspired me to write this was, you know, every dinner party I went to, people were like, Oh, you're the points guy. Let me just capitalize on you for the whole And I'm teaching people from scratch over and over. So even after fifteen years of having this website. Now we have you know, fifty plus writers covering everything in travel.
Speaker 3: It's almost overwhelming. There's too much information on the.
Speaker 9: Internet, and the information changes, so what you're reading from five years ago may not be accurate. This book is an accurate representation of the travel landscape. I give tips not just on points and credit cards, but you know where to book your flights. That makes a huge difference these days, because when an airline cancels your flight, if you book through an online travel agency, you may not be able to get home that night.
Speaker 3: And that's what people don't realize.
Speaker 9: Here's how to book in the most efficient way, to get the cheapest rates and protect yourself. I have a whole chapter when things go wrong, because I see far too many people melting down in the airport screaming at the agents, and that couldn't be a worse.
Speaker 3: Way to deal with it.
Speaker 9: I teach people how to be strategic and have fun too. There's even a fear of flying chapter, which millions of people globally and growing have a fear of flying, so it's really a resource. I think everyone wants to travel, but no one really teaches you how. I think this book will teach even the most beginner traveler how to handle themselves and thrive and travel because it should be fun.
Speaker 1: On the note about the fear of flying, we've had a couple of notable airline accidents and incidents in the past couple of years. What do you make of that? Do you feel like flying is still safe? In What's your advice to you?
Speaker 3: I talk about this in the book.
Speaker 9: I think the statistic is you really have to fly every single day for one hundred and three thousand years to have a statistical high relevant chance.
Speaker 3: Of dying on a plane crash.
Speaker 9: It is extraordinarily safe, and certainly especially the incident in DC, which we're still waiting to hear exactly what happened. Things will always go wrong, but it's hard to put into words how safe air travel is. I have zero qualms flying on any aircraft globally, but especially within the US. You know, it had been sixteen years before the last real fatal crash, so flying is still safe, and after each incident, I am sure that we will learn from it. So I tell people you're the most dangerous part of your journey is getting to the airport.
Speaker 3: By far.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of the tools that you like to have to you know on your phone, like what should travelers have apps wise and resource wise?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so for cheap flights, and I wish I could say Tuesdays at four pm is the cheapest flight day. Everyone go get It's not like that anymore. You have to use technology Google Flights. I cannot stress. You have to learn how to use Google Flights to find cheap flights. There's a tool called Explore and what this will let you do, say, your flexibility is how you get the cheapest deals.
Speaker 3: So if you're in LA.
Speaker 9: And you want to go to Hawaii, don't put in one island and check island by island. You can just put in La to Hawaii specific dates a week in March, a week in June, and it'll reverse engineer and show you all of the cheapest flights. Don't call your friend and say is this a good deal? When Google Flights tells you based on their billions of data sets, that's when you get a good deal. You can even set alerts if the price drops. And then on the point side, there's a tool called point dot Me and it's basically Google Flights, which is for paid tickets. If you have airline miles, and you have credit card points that transfer to different airlines, it can be really hard. There's so many points hoarders out there because they don't know how to use their points.
Speaker 3: Point dot me will.
Speaker 9: Tell you AMX points transfer to air France to fly LA to Paris and then Paris to Istambul or wherever you're trying to go. So that's what really does a lot of the heavy lifting. There's one other seats dot arrow, which is a more expert tool for frequent flyer miles. But if your dream is to fly LA to Dubai on Emirates, which is one of those bucket lists redemptions, if you search day by day, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Seats dot arrow will show you an entire year of a route. You can sort by first class and you can pick the days where there's availability. So that's how people in the points where they're getting outsized value find these amazing airlines. You can't just hope that they land in your lap. You need to go on the offense.
Speaker 1: Tell me about hotels, any hacks for getting good deals on hotels or using points for hotels.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so with hotels, you know, once again it's kind of like air lunch. I try to book directly with hotels whenever possible because you're going to get loyalty.
Speaker 3: They treat people better who.
Speaker 9: Book directly, So when possible, even if you find a cheaper hotel rate on an online travel agency, call the hotel. They'll usually match it or give you extra perks because they don't want to have to pay twenty percent commission to that online travel agency. And remember you're at the bottom of the pecking order when you book through an OTA. Now on the flip side, luxury hotels, if you want to splurge, don't book direct because luxury travel advisors people don't realize you should book through a luxury travel advisor who books a lot of their clients at the hotel because if anything goes wrong, they can make sure your trip. They take care of you extra perks Champagne. So for luxury hotels, you always want to book through a luxury travel advisor. For you know, standard hotels, book directly with the hotel and using points. Similarly to point me, there are now tools. Maximipoint dot com is a great one. Say you want to go to Alila, big sur on and use your Hiatt points one of the best redemptions out there. This tool will let you look or the Parkhayatt Paris and von Dome all the top properties. You can now search by calendar date, so the Waldorf Astoria in Cabo, which is a top points you know redemption. It can be tough to find, but it will show you a calendar search month by month. So once again, pick your when possible. You know, I know, school dates and everything, but when possible, choose your trip around where the best availability is.
Speaker 3: That's how you get the most bang for your point.
Speaker 1: That's actually another tool that I like on your website is the conversion tool where it says like, here's how much the flight is costing in cash, here's how much it is in points. So do you have to get a certain value for the point for it to be worth it? Ye?
Speaker 9: For that redemption in general, you know it depends on the airline. Some airline miles are worth more than others. But but you know you want to be getting ideally one and a half cents per point to two cents in value. And that takes a little bit of math, but simply put, like a thousand dollars flight, if it was one hundred thousand points, that's a one cent per point valuation.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 9: But if that thousand dollars flight it's fifty thousand points, that means you're getting two cents per point in value.
Speaker 3: That's where the sweet spot is.
Speaker 9: And then the higher you can go, the better you can get five to ten cents per point by booking those really amazing what I call sweet Spot awards, which I talk about in the book International first in business class, especially to Asia. Those flights are ten fifteen thousand dollars that sometimes you can get for sixty thousand miles.
Speaker 3: So in the book, I'll.
Speaker 9: Teach you easy redemptions and then how to become an expert. And I just be warned, once you start redeeming for those amazing redemptions, you will be hooked because when you can fly a ten thousand dollars flight for eighty thousand miles, that is a rush. And that's why I'm still doing this after fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Any travel gadgets that you really make your life easier, yeah, Well, off the bat, you have to have air tags, even if you don't check your luggage.
Speaker 9: AirTags are critical and the airlines nowadays are even integrating with Apple where if they lose your bag, you can share your air tag status and that can be the difference between getting your bag before that's seven day cruise. You know, losing your luggage can really throw a wrench in your plan. So always knowing where all of your bags are, even your carry on, because you could get separated from it. They might make you check it last minute. So I have an air tag in everything. And also, you know, noise canceling headphones are an oldie but a goodie. You will have a crying baby on your flight. I can guarantee you that at some point. But when you have your noise canceling headphones and you have your own entertainment, because the airline entertainment will probably break as well. So controlling what you can control, your noise, your what you're able to watch. Bring a good book on a flight, you know, bring snacks because the airline is always going to run out. So I just tell people try to control what you can. You can't control delays or planes breaking. That's going to happen. But if you've got a great book, your music, you have to shift your mentality.
Speaker 3: This three hour flight delay.
Speaker 9: Well great, I'm gonna have some me time in a lounge, get a drink and enjoy it. It's all about you, know your mentality, and I think too many people leave their homes losing at travel, and in this book, I want to teach you how to enjoy it even when things inevitably go left.
Speaker 1: That's Brian Kelly, founder of thepoints Guide dot com.
Speaker 8: His new book, How to Win at Travel is out now.
Speaker 2: I'll put a link on my website. Richon Tech dot tv coming up.
Speaker 1: More of your calls at Triple A Rich one oh one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology Triple A Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The Darklord on X. Looking for some clarification on the satellite stuff I was talking about earlier, specifically AST Space Mobile. That's the company that's working with AT and T. They said that they are not behind starlink. So here's the deal. Ast Space Mobile. They have launched their first five satellites so far, and their goal is to basically build a network that is kind of like a cellular network, but in space and so right now they're saying their peak speeds will be up to one hundred and twenty megabits per second, which is fast, yes, but not as fast as some of the other speeds I'm hearing from Starlink and also from Project Kuiper, which is going to be apparently double what starlink is or faster than starlink.
Speaker 2: But this is the other thing.
Speaker 1: So I said, AT and T invested in them, but apparently AT and T, Verizon, Google, Vodafone, and a bunch of other mobile carriers worldwide are supporting this company as well, so I guess they're one to watch for sure, and looks like they're out of Texas perhaps, But yeah, so it says AT working with a S T Space Mobile to one day offer voice, data, text, and video services in remote, off grid locations. So again, this is a very competitive field. We're gonna hear a lot about this stuff, and you know it's it's gonna mean kind of like what happened with the the Internet at home, where you know it was always delivered to your house via First it was phone line, then it was cable and fiber, and now you can get it wirelessly wirelessly through the five G networks. So again, now we're seeing this start to happen with internet from space and of course texting from space. So interesting stuff happening. Glad to do the clarification for you there the dark Lord. Hope that helps.
Speaker 2: Let's go to.
Speaker 1: Gary and Laguna Nagel Gary, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Rich, this is kind of an anti tech question. Oh yeah, I know. That's a good way of putting in the nurser. Okay, the watch I had I was recommended from a good friend of mine, Bob. Of course he's a tech kind of guy, and of course he's an Apple guy, and he knows I'm an Android guy. And what I got I got was called the Amazed Fit BP three pro. Yeah, I like, I couldn't stand them thing. I couldn't stand it?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 10: Well let me tell you why. Okay, I'm an I'm a wildlife photographer, so I'm out walking the trails sometimes I get kind of hot and sweating, and what happened with this thing? And it's just outually drow me nuts. This thing needed my cell phone on me at all times to even function. And that's the number one thing that really bothered me about it. And half the time I go to look at the time of the watch and was showing me my heart right. Well, you know what, I don't want to know my heart right, I want to know what tim it is. And I mainly got the thing just to have a pedometer. So maybe you can recommend a pedometer watch that is I repeat, not not not tied to a cell phone, well just by itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're I mean, look, most people and most of these companies, they want a the smart watch. You know that that is the that is the marketplace. So smart watches are where all of the momentum is behind. That's most of what I see. Now, I'm not sure your experience with this watch. I mean, you know, I've tested the amaze fit devices and I've actually been very impressed with them, and they are amaze Fit is sort of, you know, a less expensive version of a lot of the stuff you see out there. So if you look at the bit five kind of looks like an Apple watch. But I mean you're talking, the price on this thing is a lot cheaper. Let me just check the price on Amazon. These things are like me, I think it's like under one hundred dollars. Yeah, fifty dollars for this thing. So number one, you can't expect the same kind of quality you're going to get from a two hundred and fifty dollars Apple watch for something that's fifty dollars. And I think the big kind of delineator here is the software. So the software and these devices, and I actually, again I tested almost everything in the Amaze fit lineup, Like I tested their high end smart watch, their cheap smart watch, their ring and every single one of them. I came away thinking like, Wow, these are pretty good for being so inexpensive. What's the catch? You know, the catch is generally the software. But even with these I thought the software or the app I think it's called zep is pretty well designed as well. So to answer your question, Gary, I don't have a recommendation on a standard standalone pedometer, but if you search on you know, I mean Garman comes to mind first off, because Garman is kind of the leader in fitness tracking, but they've kind of gone to the smart watch kind of area connecting to the phone with all of their devices. But it looks like you could probably use this like a Vivo Active five without a smart watch. If you don't want to connect it to the smart watch, it looks like it does everything on its own. Now this may be too much, but this is just a simple watch that does It's got a one inch to one point two inch display, up to eleven hours of battery life, detailed heart advance fitness. You can use the Garment Connect app on your iPhone or Android if you want, if you want to download your information, but again I don't know if you have to, because it looks like it's got everything built in that what you want. It's built in NAP detection, heart rate, risk based heart rate, so you can have your heart rate without your phone. There, stress tracking, UH pulse oxy pulse sensor so pulse ox blood, blood oxygen, meditation, mindful breathing, hydration, respiration, and then again it's got all the different UH fitness. This thing's got a lot. So again, if you don't want to use your phone with this, you don't necessarily have to. But you said you have an Android phone, so I mean it's not gonna hurt to connect it, you know, once in a while to get a software update or something like that. Now, if you look on Amazon, if you type in like Fitness Tracker, no phone needed. There are a couple that come up, but again these are going to be probably even cheaper, and the quality is probably not even going to be as good as with the Amaze Fit that you had. The top one that comes up is the urans eu R A NS and it's a smart watch, no app or phone required, fourteen days battery life. But sounds like what you're talking about is you just want a standard pedometer. I think they used to give those out at like with like a happy meal. Just put that thing on the side, So maybe just look up pedometer. I mean, they they do have these things. I mean, here's here's a pedometer, three D pedometer for walking fifteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Clip it to your side.
Speaker 1: Remember, I mean these were these were what people used before they went with the smart watches. But again, most of the most of these devices are wanting to connect to a smart watch. That doesn't mean they don't. They're a pedometer is not there. It's just a lot simpler than the smart watches. But and by the way, you can use a smart watch without the phone. So I mean, I I you know, I've got my Apple Watch on right now without my Apple phone, which is you know, so basically it's just not connecting back. If I needed to make a phone call or get a text, it's not going to happen. But you could still use them. It's just not the preferred method for using these things because most people at this point they want to be connected. But I understand that you don't want to be connected, So, you know, there's a lot of options out there. I think it's going to come down to with this, it's going to be, you know, do you want to get something like a garment. I would probably look there first because I think Garman probably has the best overall solution with the option to connect it to your phone. But then I would kind of look at some of these other you know, I call them cheapies on Amazon, and just see which one works for you. You know, who knows what the accuracy is too. That's the other problem of it. Eight eight eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two one zero one. The website for the show is rich on tech dot TV. When you go there, you can get the show notes. Everything is listed that I talk about. This is episode one and nine. You tap there you can get all the information about what I talk about here. Also on the website, you can email me through the contact link and the newsletter.
Speaker 2: Sign up for that.
Speaker 1: Get my newsletter in your inbox. It's got a lot of good information every week. Eight eight eight rich one on one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple A. Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Welcome to the show, the website rich on tech dot TV. Let's go to h Christine and el Segundo. Looks like she's got a thought on what we were talking about with the smart watches.
Speaker 2: Christine, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 11: Hi, rich Oh my god, I love you guys. You guys are all brilliant.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 13: I love the piece you just did. I'm a registered nurse, but I work in the aerospace industry and there are a lot of top secret, you know, physicians, and they can't have those smart watches you were referring to, or any of the smart devices that transmit information. So your garment wait, no, the garment does too. So the pedometer you were talking about, I think is perfect for those types of jobs.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you're saying it your your job. You can't have the smart stuff.
Speaker 13: Right, Not for me.
Speaker 11: I'm I'm a registered nurse in that industry, but I'm not like top secret, I think you. I'm not top secret like the engineers are. They're like dealing with spider jet software and blah blah blah. So that's why they can't have any of those devices that transmit makes Your pedometer idea is a great idea. And now they have more modern pedometers that are not going to like cheat when you shake.
Speaker 2: It should always be.
Speaker 13: Very competitive when we had our wellness walks and stuff.
Speaker 12: So there are good pedometers.
Speaker 11: So I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the what's the most popular one around the nurses quarters?
Speaker 2: Is it the Apple Watch or what?
Speaker 11: So for hospitals, the Apple Watch is perfect. Apple is good. And then I have patients that have heart conditions that are not in top secret, so once again it's also perfect for them because they're like, oh, my watch triggered it and I hadn't felt anything. So they come over and I checked their pulse.
Speaker 13: They're apul to their heart.
Speaker 11: Pulse with a stethoscope and boom, I find out that they're having.
Speaker 13: A rhythm that's irregular and ultimately saved their life.
Speaker 11: So when when for you know.
Speaker 2: Certain cases, that's wild.
Speaker 1: I did a story with a guy who a really healthy guy, and he had an Apple Watch and it gave him that alert and he went right to the hospital and he got a think he said, like a stent or what's the thing that keeps your pacemaker in his heart?
Speaker 11: So, oh my god, do you see?
Speaker 13: So his heart rate was probably either very irregular or extremely slow and and alerted him.
Speaker 6: It saved his life.
Speaker 11: He needs stuck an app one whatever, But yeah, what happened.
Speaker 2: I think I think he got it.
Speaker 1: Afterwards, Christine, thanks for the call, appreciate it. Let's go to Daisy in Homeland, California. Daisy, you're on with rich Oh thank you.
Speaker 7: Yes, I was wondering if you could recommend some classes or a direction I can go in. I'm seventy seven years old and I'm interested in keeping up with the new technology, and AI is what I'm interested in finding out about. On TikTok, they're advertising a lot of classes and things like that, and I just don't know which direction. But I don't want to be left in the desk.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Okay, Well, there's definitely there's definitely a lot of places to go with it when it comes to AI. First off, I would start with the AI itself, So just get on Chat, e Ebt, get on Gemini, get on claud and just start using them. You're not going to break anything, and you can ask them like, hey, what can you do? What are some things I should try? And that's kind of like the first getting into it is just just try some of this stuff and then you know, if you want to get into some of the more, you know. I would listen to some podcasts about AI. There's a whole bunch of pot if you just go on the top tech podcasts. I mean half of them are dedicated to AI right now. So I would subscribe to one or two of those and listen to them because they're going to talk about the ins and outs of what these companies are doing, and it can kind of the trends that are happening in that world. A newsletter that I really like is called Wonder Tools wo Nder Wonder Tools put out by a guy named Jeremy Kaplan. Believe he's out of New York City and He does a great job every week of running down some of the great new AI tools out there, and so that is a great solution for learning about all the AI stuff that's new, and it doesn't he doesn't get like some of it's really techy, but some of it, you know, a lot of it is very consumer oriented.
Speaker 2: So that's another way to do it.
Speaker 1: When it comes to classes, I mean, I don't know what they're advertising on TikTok, but you know, I mean you can you can look at classes at like your local community college and see what's there. If you want to go to online classes. I mean, you know, con Academy is kind of like a great free source of classes, So I would go on there and con Academy is k H A N.
Speaker 2: And let's just see.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna search AI and let's see if they have any AI classes. Let's see air constant air. It comes up with air, so I don't know, maybe that's not the best one. Let's see artificial intelligence. Let's see if we can do that.
Speaker 2: It's tough to.
Speaker 1: Type and talk at the same time. There we go artificial intelligence. So talk search artificial intelligence, and that will give you a whole bunch of stuff where you can start. But con Academy is another one. One of those places is where you can get kind of free classes and free online learning. So that's a good one, but there's just so many. I mean, you know, read up online. It sounds like you're already ahead of the curve because you're on TikTok and you want to learn about this stuff. But those are the place I I would stay away from paying right now. I mean, unless you're doing community college whatever, maybe have to pay a small amount. But I don't know if you necessarily need to pay to learn about AI because what it sounds like, unless you're trying to get a new job with this, I think that you should just you know, try the free stuff first.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: So there's also this interesting there's also a master Class. Have you heard of that program? So master Class is these online classes that basically they have like prominent people teach courses and things. They have got two hundred plus classes. You can watch them on your computer and things. But the problem is you got to pay for that. So let's see how much of a standard plan ten dollars that's an annual membership. They have ten dollars fifteen dollars or twenty dollars, But it looks like you have to pay for the whole year in advance. So but you know that may be another app you want to pay and you want something that's a little bit more like a course. But again, I mean YouTube, there's so much free content out there. It's just a matter of finding something that resonates with you and also deciding, you know, kind of what do you want to learn about. But I think playing with the with the tools themselves is the best way to kind of get acquainted with them, see what they can do, and then once you figure out what they can do, maybe then you go into some of these systems and see what they can do to help you out. Great question, Daisy really appreciate it? Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Speaking of TikTok it is back. TikTok is back on both the Apple's App Store and Google Play officially back. The app disappeared in January. We know because of the pending US band tied to Byte Dance owning this app. Bite Dance out of China. There's been a lot to talk about this. I've been covering this app now and whether it's gonna go away for years, and it just keeps kind of percolating. But we did see it go off Google Play and the App Store because the company said, okay, we're going to enforce this ban, and then President Trump said, now it'll be okay, and they said, okay, Well we don't. We don't know if we want to believe you just yet, because what if it's not okay? And now we get sued for all the time that we had this thing in our app store. But I guess he's gotten a reassurance or these companies have gotten a reassurance from the US Attorney General's office and they said, no, it'll be fine. You can put them on your app stores until we figure out the permanent solution for this. The problem was people were finding that if they updated their phone, or they got a new phone, or they switched phones, their their TikTok app might not have followed through. So I got a lot of people saying frantically, hey, Rich, I upgraded my phone and my TikTok is no longer here. I don't know what you can do. There's not much you could do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I did know for Android, because Android's a little bit different than iPhone. Android, you can download apps from anywhere and install them on your phone. I don't recommend you do that unless you know what you're doing. Got to be a little bit more tech savvy, because you can get some malware on your phone. But TikTok did come out with what's called the direct download ap case. So if you went to TikTok dot com, I think it was just download.
Speaker 2: Let's see here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you just went to TikTok dot com slash download, you could get the download of the software file. So you know how you download software for your computer. On Android, you can do that bypassing the app store, and in Europe you can do that now, but in the US the iPhone is sort of locked down. You have to get your apps through Apple's vetted app store, but on Android not the case.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 1: It takes a little bit like on the on the Samsung device the new one I got. You know, they put a lot of procedures in place before you can actually download software outside of an app store. So I downloaded the TikTok app to my new Samsung S twenty five Ultra, and I wanted to see what the process was like, and it did give me a couple of hoops to jump through, a specifically one through Samsung where it said, hey, you've got to change this setting to make it so you can download this app. And then Google asked if it can scan the app to make sure there's no malware on it. But anyways, that's called sideloading, and that was an option if you're an Android user, of course, but for iPhone there wasn't. But anyway, all this is a moot point at this point because it's back in the app stores, So if you still want TikTok, still using it, I will admit, I mean there's something about it. You know, once I downloaded it to quote unquote test it out to see if I can get out on my phone, you know, I started flipping through it, and you know, it gets you hooked.
Speaker 2: It really does.
Speaker 1: Like they just have a way of like all of a sudden, they present one video and you flip through and if you watch it long enough, they start showing other videos just like that. And so the algorithm is good. There's no denying that. But again, it's there. I said, I was joking with someone at the TV station. I said, you know, our productivity ever since TikTok is back, has gone back down again because this has a way of just sucking you in and just keeping your attention for long periods of time. That swipe, It's all about that swipe to the next video. Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website Richontech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 1: We have a new Apple product coming out next week. I'll tell you what we expect that to be right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Phone lines are open at eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. All right, coming up, we're gonna talk about Apple. Oh my gosh, new product coming this week. So Tim Cook teased an Apple product reveal for February nineteenth, that's Wednesday. All signs point to the long awaited iPhone S refresh so on X. Tim Cook said, the newest member of the family will arrive on February nineteenth. Everyone seems to think this is the iPhone se this is their budget friendly phone model. It was last updated about three years ago, so it is time. So I think I talked last week on the show what's going to change? But basically no more home button. I know a lot of people like that on this phone. They got it for that reason. But you know they're doing face ID now on everything faster chip which will give it AI features and a bigger screen, maybe mag safe on the back USBC. But this is Apple's phone that costs generally under five hundred dollars, so a lot of people like this as a simple kind of entry level iPhone Again, iPhone se probably going to be announced on February nineteenth.
Speaker 2: Let's go oh to uh, let's see here is it?
Speaker 1: Taren Karen in Tennessee Taren, he welcome to the show.
Speaker 14: Heh Yes. I love to read books, and I currently have the Kindle app on one of my very very very old iPads. So I'm gonna either need to buy a Kindle or buy an iPad, and I don't know which to do.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's the question, That's an easy one, Karen, Taren Karen Taran is my sister's name. Actually she spells it a little different t A R y N. So do you pronounce that?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 3: What? No? Why?
Speaker 14: Well Tyrone Power, very famous old actor. His daughter was named Taren with a y.
Speaker 1: Ah, Okay, I'm gonna have to ask my mom.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I think this is a super super easy decision. And the decision is one thousand Kindle, oh okay. And the reason why is because the Kindle is for reading. The iPad is great and it's an amazing device, but I hate it for reading. I mean, I'm looking at my screen all day on my phone. The stress level on your eyes on a kindle is infinitely less than the stress level on your eyes on an iPad. And plus it has other benefits like when you're out and about when you're out in the sun, this thing does not heat up. It reads in the sun. It's waterproof, so you can bring it by the pool and the tub whatever. I mean, there's just so many benefits to the Kindle versus the iPad as a reading device. Plus there's no notifications. You're not sitting there and all of a sudden you get a notification and now you're down, you know, a TikTok. Not that I think you're on a TikTok rabbit hole, but you know what I mean, Like that could happen, you know.
Speaker 14: So what kindle would I get? There are a few of them.
Speaker 1: Well that's the that's the million dollar question. So I personally, I still use a really old kindle. I would not go for the kindle with the color soft. I would not get that one. So let me see. I got to look at the kindles, because there's a whole bunch of them. I think the best one is the middle one, so it is the not the color soft and not the regular kindle. I think the paper white is the one to go with ye, and that's kind of their middle of the road one. It's one hundred and sixty dollars I would spend. I would spend the extra. I think it's like twenty bucks to get the one that doesn't have ads on the screen, on the home screen, like or the lock screen. I should say, but that's that's optional. But here's the thing. I would not just buy this thing today, because these things go on sale regularly, and that's what I would wait for. So I would set an alert, put this in your shopping cart on Amazon, and wait for the price to drop before you purchase it. Kindles go on sale all the time, all.
Speaker 14: The time, Okay, super Thank you. You've been so helpful.
Speaker 1: All right, well, well thanks Tarn and Tennessee love the question. Thanks for the call. I love my kindle, absolutely love my Kindle. I mean I read on it every single day, and to me, it's an escape from the screen centric world we live in.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I know they came out with the Kindle. They've got several different kindles. They've got the Kindle, which is their standard one. I don't I would skip the standard one, just go with the paper white. I know it's a little bit more, but you're gonna get such better value out of your money. It's just going to be a bigger screen. It's going to be faster. I believe it's sharper text as well on the screen. But you know, the battery lasts forever on these things. They're just so easy. Okay, here's the yeah, okay, so the okay, the text is the same on oh gosh, the text is three hundred PPI and all of them. So okay, So I stand corrected there. But so from the Kindle to the paper white, battery life on the regular kindle is six weeks. On the pay paper white, it's twelve weeks. Storage is the same. There's no wireless charging on those two models. If you go to the Signature edition on the paper White, you're gonna get double the storage, wireless charging. Let's see auto adjusting front light sensor. So that means that when you go from like a dark room to a light room, it's gonna adjust how intense the brightness is. Let's see the Kindle The standard one is not waterproof, but the Kindle paper White is.
Speaker 2: And above.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so again, I think the sweet spot here is the Kindle Paper White. If you want wireless charging and a little bit more adjustment on the lighting by itself, I would go with the Signature edition. That's two hundred dollars. That's a lot. But the paper White, I think for ninety nine percent of people is going to be just perfect.
Speaker 2: I still have the.
Speaker 1: Old Oasis from many years ago.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm still waiting for them to come out with a new version of that. But I guess none of them have physical buttons anymore. It's all touchscreen eight to eight which one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we're gonna talk about managing your digital estate. This is rich on Tech Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eight eight eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment. There's an app this week that us kind of getting a little bit of headlines. It's called the death Clock. App uses AI to predict your lifespan. Yeah, I downloaded it. I'm sorry I did. I put in all my information and told me my last day. Gives you a save the date card. I mean, yeah, this stuff is dark. But the idea is that you kind of have an idea of how to improve your life and live longer. So at the end they try to sell you on like a you know, a longevity plan, but you know you ask It asked you a whole bunch of questions about your exercise, stress, your medical history. And while you might be saying, Rich, isn't this just like a data grab, it actually doesn't ask any personal identifiable information at least for the questionnaire, So just ask your age and then your first name. It doesn't even ask for your email to get the the death date. But you know, they say it's for entertainment, but of course it's still a wake up call and it tells you even you know what it thinks is going to happen to you, whether it's you know, cancer or heart or whatever. But again it's called the Death Clock app. iOS and Android. Download it at your own risk.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like I shouldn't have done it, So I'm just warning you. If you don't want to think about it for like the next couple of days, don't do it. But if you're if you're okay, then you know, just take it with a grain of salt. On that note, this was an interesting article from the New York Times this week, how to prepare for your digital afterlife.
Speaker 2: So if you think about it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, you've got so many things, so many accounts what happens to those after we die? And here to discuss that is JD. Beersdorf for from the New York Times. Thanks for joining me, JD.
Speaker 15: Hey Rich, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Would you do the Death Clock app?
Speaker 2: Do you want to know?
Speaker 11: Or no?
Speaker 15: I don't want to know?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, see that's that's the way I feel after I did it. But I had to do it to try to like, you know, see what this thing was all about. You're curious, yeah, I mean yeah, but when you put it like a year on it, it's like if, okay, so let's talk about this article. So what what were you what was your thought behind this article? You just wanted to see, Like, you know, we've got like accounts for social media, You've got Google accounts, Apple accounts. Do they all sort of have a way that you can leave these to someone.
Speaker 15: They do, and it varies by each company. I mean, I sort of got into this. I had to tuttle one of my parents' estates, and so you get into it really deep when you're in the middle of it. And if you look, if you think about it, you know, we all know traditional estate of planning, you know, house property, car people get that. It's it's a long tradition. But we've had computers and internet for thirty forty years now depending on when you started. And if you think about that, in all those years, we've built up you know, photos and social media profiles and blogs and all of these things that leave little pieces of ourself in digital form over the Internet. And if you want something specific to happen to that after you pass you really need to leave instructions saying to my family, you know I want this to happen, or if you don't, conversely, so you have to say no, just delete everything. I don't want to be hanging around.
Speaker 1: So I guess my first question is is it as easy as just saying here's my password to my account or is that not as simple as that.
Speaker 15: It depends on the family and the trust level and all of that. And if you're really tight with your family, you know, no secession type thing going on here. But if you're really close to your family and you trust them, you can just basically write down what you want to happen. Most legal law sites advise you to write a letter or document saying these are all my online accounts, this is what I would like to happen to them, leave a separate list of passwords and user names so that they can get into those accounts. Most importantly, make sure that list is always up to date, and then just leave that with your state papers. The one thing you shouldn't do is put all your passwords in your will, because will has become public once they get fought with the court, and you don't want.
Speaker 3: All that stuff out there.
Speaker 15: But you leave your maybe you pick a digital executor, if you will, who's going to handle this. It could be the person who's doing your whole estate and just say I want all these things to happen. Here's how to get into the accounts, and then they can go from there. There is a legal provision called the hang on here the Revised Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act. Yes, rolls off the tongue, but most of the states in the country have enacted this, and this basically gives control to the executor or the person who's handling the estate to have access to someone's electronic communications and dental content. If that person said that they could. If they didn't leave any access and think gets a lot harder to get into the accounts and stuff, or if the person didn't even have a will or left any instructions at all, then it can be really quite a legal hassle.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I'm hearing is if you leave instructions and say yes, I would like these accounts to be passed on, it sounds like the person who's the executor can get access to them. But if you didn't leave that specific instruction, then it's not like you can just email Google and say, hey, you know this person passed, I'd like access.
Speaker 2: It's not that easy.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, Then it gets to the point where maybe you have to have court orders in order to get this and also prove why you would need access to their stuff, that very long legal thing that we mentioned, the red Dice fiduiciary. I think the reason this revised is because originally they had just given complete access to the account for anyone who said other person died and I need to get anto their stuff and prib to say. Advocates said, well, no, this is a problem. Maybe they didn't want their stuff to get out on it, you know, the access, so they revised it and made it a little bit harder. But as long as you have permission from the person, it's usually okay. And a lot of sites too, like if you've got Microsoft's website, if you need to go in and close an Outlook account or cancel their Microsoft Word subscription or whatever. Microsoft's site says, you don't have to tell us when the person died. If you have the name of the password, do what you gotta do and just delete the account yourself. So it can be that simple. If the person is armed with all of the names and passwords for these accounts.
Speaker 1: So what about this legacy contact because I often talk about that who has the legacy contact access?
Speaker 2: Like who has that feature?
Speaker 15: Apple's got it, Google's got a version of it. It's there an active account manager thing. Facebook has one. There's a few other sites too, but you know, the big three definitely have it, and they all vary a little bit on how they approach it. Facebook's gives you when you name somebody your legacy contact. They can go in after you die and manage your profile and put up a memorial post or whatever, but they can't log into it directly and read your messages, so they sort of cry you that way. Apple will give you access to pretty much all the stuff in iCloud and like email, notes, calendars, all of that. But if you had a lot of like things you bought from iTunes maybe or Apple Movie Music, all of that license content doesn't actually transfer, so they only get your personal stuff but not like your iTunes library.
Speaker 1: So you said you had to do this for a family member, What did you learn in the process, Like, what was it tougher than you thought? Was it easier than you thought? Was there any eye opening part of it.
Speaker 15: It was a lot of stuff that I didn't think I would have to think about till it was actually there and once you get in there, but the relative was not maybe the most technical, if you will, And so we had set up a system right, do all the family tech support. Anyway, I've been writing about tech for thirty years, so it's just naturally my default position.
Speaker 3: And so what we.
Speaker 15: Would do instead of I would business say, no, don't put your passwords on the post it note on the monitor. Let's sit down and go over all your accounts. And I've got this thing called a password Manager, and it's a little app that's basically a digital vault to store all your passwords in and you can get into it with one master password. So we sat down and went through all the accounts, use their name password. If you change your password, please tell me so I can update the thing. And so when the day came and you passed on, I had all of the stuff that I could go through and take care of things, close them, do what I needed to do to settle it.
Speaker 2: And it does make.
Speaker 15: It easier too, Like if there's bill auto pay in some accounts, you can go and turn that off cancel like Netflix and Hula subscriptions.
Speaker 2: There's all these.
Speaker 15: Little things that we didn't used to have to do that because we're so digital now it's a thing.
Speaker 1: So the password manager does that complicate things or make it easier for this process you think?
Speaker 15: I think for people who are comfortable with tech, it can. Actually they save you a lot of time because you have one secure place. Usually it's stored on your phone. You put all the passwords in there. Some apps will let you store other things like secure notes, software license information, that kind of stuff, and it's you remember to update it because when you change you passwordor I need to go and hear an update it, whereas maybe if you had things written down, you'd forget to go find the piece of paper and update it. And a lot of these password managers actually have family licenses, so you can have a group of people all sharing the same vault and you can limit the access as you want. But if you needed them to have everything, it's easier to do that with a family plan. So I thought the password managers were actually pretty handy, and it's right there.
Speaker 12: You can back it up to computer if you want to.
Speaker 15: A lot of the more thoughtful ones will tell you, oh, look there's been this data breach and this password you're using was actually compromised, so maybe you should go and change that. I find it a little bit more secure. A lot of people still want to write the thing down, leave it with their lawyer, put it in a secure block box or something, which is another way to do It's just you got to keep in mind that if you've got an entire list of all your user names of passwords in your accounts, if you get robbed or somebody steals that, then that's basically, you know, golden mind for identity theft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I've got less than a minute. But I'm curious your thoughts on like giving the pass code to your phone, like leaving that because you know that has a lot of information on it. And also like a lot of people are doing two factor authentication codes, does that play into this as well, Like you need to get those to that phone line.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's another thing, and I mentioned this in the article in the Times, is while you're writing everything down, don't forget the pin code for your phone and the password for your computer because you need to get into the phone a for the two factor authentication that you mentioned, but also there's a contact list. Maybe you have to have a list of names of people who have to call. The phone has so much of our lives in it too, and you just need to be able to get in there. And the computer companies, do to privacy laws, will not take that pin code off. The only way you can get into the phone is a few do a factory reset and wipes all the data. So then you have an empty glass triangle, but you don't have all of those personal memories and things that were in the phone and some of the security tools that you need to get in there and start settling this stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good information, all right.
Speaker 2: JD.
Speaker 1: Beersdorf for from the New York Times the article how to Prepare for your Digital after Life. I'll put a link to it on the website. Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Thanks for having me, Rich, I have a great day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll get back to the calls in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Uh. Again.
Speaker 1: The link is on the website. Rich on tech dot tv New York Times How to Prepare for your digital afterlife. Great information back after this, Welcome back to Rich on tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at eight eight eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Let's go to UH in New Orleans. Doug, you're on with Pitch.
Speaker 5: Hey, Hi, Yeah, I've talked to you before. You've been so helpful. Anyway, I love TikTok and so remember they were saying, hey, don't do any iOS updates otherwise you're going to lose your TikTok. Yes, so I've avoided doing my updates on iOS the last two times, and I'm wondering, well, now that it's available on the app, should I go ahead and do the update?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I would for sure because the last update had some critical patches in it. So you're you're good to go. And you know, from what I heard, people who did the software update didn't necessarily lose their TikTok. It was more of the if they switched phones or something like that, it may not have come over. Because I did the update on my phone, the iOS eighteen. I think they have a new one now since I did it.
Speaker 2: What are we update? Let me see here?
Speaker 1: We are up to General Software Update iOS eighteen point three point one. So there's been two software updates, like you said, since this happened in January. But I would do them because now you can download it from If something happened and it went away, you can re download it from the app stores.
Speaker 5: You're good to go, right, Okay, So do I do when I download the new updates? Do I do the old one first or just do the latest one?
Speaker 1: Whatever's on there, it should just be the latest one, should have it should have the old one as well.
Speaker 2: It may not.
Speaker 1: It just depends on how Apple's done it. But I would just do whatever's on there, Just do that and then if it says, oh there's another one.
Speaker 2: Do that as well. But yeah, that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: But get those updates because you know they do you know, they patch some security flaws and things like that on the iPhone, and they're always a good idea to do. I know people like to wait a little bit just to make sure everything's good, but that's that's what I recommend.
Speaker 2: What do you like about TikTok? What do you learning on there? Or what?
Speaker 12: Just on?
Speaker 1: Stop we're talking, Kim and I are having a side conversation about how it just gets you. You know, you start swiping, it's just like you can't stop.
Speaker 5: And then hours, hours can really go by fast. But I don't know. I think for me it's I I do learn things and then I'll tell my friends day I just saw this on TikTok and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: It's certainly been a force.
Speaker 1: No, but it's but it's been a force in the world when it comes to, you know, information, My kid watches YouTube shorts and the amount of information he's picked up on there, good and bad, is pretty wild. You know. It sounds like it sounds like you're catching a flight or something. So Doug, we're gonna let you all right, where are you headed to anywhere?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 5: We're going, uh, to Charlotte and then to Tampa.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll have fun in Charlotte and Tampa. It sounds like someone's trying to try to get through there. Eight eight eight rich on eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Laura in a Rancho mission via Hoo, Laura, you're on rich Hello.
Speaker 6: There, thanks for taking my call. I love what you do, and thanks from informing people we need people like you.
Speaker 2: I try the world.
Speaker 1: Some people debate the merits of some of the information I share, but you know it's all on the floor site.
Speaker 6: But we need to have their discussion. Absolutely, So what can I have to you so I might have fixed my problem in the time I was waiting for you to come online? My problem has been I have a Google calendar that is shared by several volunteers, and we all put in our schedules, and every time someone put a schedule change or update, I get an email notescase and on my email account, and I went to Also it's a way you know different things. I've clicked so many things off. But I think the mistake I might have made is I wasn't in the calendar that was actually the volunteer calendar. I was probably in the calendar.
Speaker 11: Yes, well, I see it says.
Speaker 6: Select calendar and then change other notifications. And I finally found other notifications. So I believe if I select none on the events, change events, cancel events, events responses, everything should go away and I shouldn't get all of these email.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yes, this is a great question.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 1: These calendar notifications can drive you nuts because there's so many, many, and they come everywhere. They come to my watch, they come to my phone, they come to my computer, and I just had to do this the other day. I had to turn off some of them because I was like, I'm getting like the same notification across so many things. And then, of course, like you said, you can get them in your email as well. So I think that is the trick is that there are if you look in Google Calendar, number one, you want to go to the calendar Google Calendar on your desktop and go into the settings. And by the way, these these notifications for your desktop could be different than your mobile phone. So if you're having they were you know, duple kits, you can go through and on your phone those are sort of like phone notifications. These are sort of like desktop and what you're talking about email notifications. So if you go into settings, there's a little gear icon that's sort of the universal icon. It'll say settings for my calendars, and so there's a general setting, which is probably what you were trying to figure out first, and you changed all those and they still happened. But then if you tap these calendars on the left hand side, there's a whole bunch and I've got a whole bunch of them, and then you can go in and see all of the different notifications. So, for instance, on my personal calendar, gives me event notifications ten minutes before and then one minute before. That might be too much, all day notifications, and then the other notifications is what you're talking about, which is new events, changed events, canceled events, event responses, and a daily agenda. You can switch those to none or email. I'm guessing that you've switched those two none.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I have none.
Speaker 6: So the trick was finding the correct calendar. I was doing it on some other I have three or four calendars that I'm using, and so gut finding the right calendar with the trick, I think, and then I could finally see other notifications. I've been looking for that for months now.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you found it while you're on hold. Thanks Laura for the question. Great information. The other thing to know, by the way, is the let's see when you're in Google calendar the automatic events made by Gmail. If you're sharing a calendar with someone, they may not see those automatic Gmail events. So if you see something that says automatically created by Gmail, use the copy to a different calendar to get that onto the other person's calendar. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one the website rich on Tech dot TV. While you're there, you can sign up for my newsletter. You can hit contact if you want to send me an email.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The magnifying glass will let you serve anything that I've mentioned on a previous show or maybe on TV. And then of course you can get show notes. This is episode one zero nine. If you're not already following me on Instagram, you can find me there at rich on Tech. You know why, this is why I can never post anything that's silly, because last night I got pizza and the AI Generative Edit on the Samsung device. The new one is just incredible, Like it's so good. It's just the best AI photo editing I've ever seen in my life. So I thought it'd be funny to take a picture of me holding a slice of pizza and I just use the AI to make that pizza like enormous. And I'm not kidding the amount of people, and I thought it looked fake, right, Like, I mean, it looked real, but like, there's no piece of pizza that's the size of my entire body, right, And I'm not kidding. I got so many people texting me saying, where'd you get that giant slice?
Speaker 2: Where get that giant slice?
Speaker 1: And I had to take down the picture because I felt bad misleading people. Now, this is actually a lot of talk in the AI world of when you edit a photo using AI, the photo editor, a lot of them will leave a water mark on the file, and so when you upload that file somewhere that program understands that that file was edited using AI. In the case of Instagram and Facebook, they're supposed to market with a little, you know, a little tag that says made with AI. Well, I thought that tag would be on my story in the upper left hand corner. That didn't appear. So now on the Samsung it also puts a watermark on the bottom of the photo that said generated with AI.
Speaker 2: But that was sort of cut off.
Speaker 1: On the photo when it made it sixteen by nine in that story version versus the standard photo size. So it was just a whole thing, and I felt bad and all these people were texting me saying, oh, my kid would love it, giant piece of pizza, and I just had to take it down. But you have to two things. My two takeaways. Number one, the photo editor, the built in editing for AI. The AI photo editor on the Samsung is just truly incredible. Like I'm telling you, you can erase things from pictures, modify them, add things, and you cannot tell. I don't know what kind of magic they're using on the back end, but it's really good, better than what Apple's doing, better than what Google's doing.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Adobe this week they launched Video Firefly. It's called so they've got you know, video generation, and you know everyone does a level of AI video and photo generation. But with the editing you can do on the Samsung for free or included, I guess with the phone is just truly remarkable, like really really good. Like last week I was posting on my Instagram. If you want to see it at rich On Tech, look for the photo that it looks like I'm almost like showing like a ring in front of my face. People thought I was like they thought it was like a proposal photo or something, but you can actually we figured out you can erase a hand or anything in front of your face, and it will recreate your face underneath that hand with eerie accuracy. I mean, this stuff is just wild. How does it know what my face looks like? I was able to remove sunglasses from my face and it recreated my eyes. Now, they didn't specifically look like my eyes, but it was pretty close. Now, the face with your mouth, when I had my hand in front of my mouth, it was really good. Mary writes in Hey, Rich, got a conundrum with my senior mom, who lives in an assisted living home. I noticed she was going to bed wearing your hearing aids. She's not remembering to take them out. Wireless charging aids are out. As she's very old one hundred. She has no smart devices other than the Samsung Samsung TV as five years old. I'm thinking of an external device that we could hook up to her TV that would see everything all programming, old movies, sports, news, et cetera. If we enable CC on the TV via the Samsung remote, would that be on all the time. She can't manage a remote, so refreshing the closed captioning once the TV is turned back on is also out. She doesn't need to hear at night except to watch TV. Thank you Mary and tapanga Mary. If you turned on it depends if she's watching something that's coming through the TV and through the TV speakers, like not a streaming service. Yes, the CC on the remote would handle that. You just have to turn that on once and it would whatever channel she's on, the closed captioning would work. So I think that's fine. Now, if you're talking streaming, it gets a little trickier because the closed captioning from the TV and even I'm looking here, so Samsung Close Captions let's see says Samsung has a variety of accessibility settings. If you have closed captioning turned on for your TV, they still may not show up on some sources. Certain apps like Netflix or HBO Max have their own settings, So that is the main thing to know. If she's using a stream app for these sports and stuff like that, this the close captioning is not going to show up on there, So you do need to take that into consideration. But I think if she's just watching stuff that's on TV channels, go ahead, yeah, turn it on and it's just gonna be on there all day. I mean, my wife and I watch movies and TV shows with close captioning on. We're not hard of hearing, but we still just like that reassurance of what do they just say and it's on there now. The other thing, I'm not able to locate a universal closed captioning box, but there might be something like a specialized box that does that. But the thing about that box is your TV input would have to go into that box, so the box can listen to the audio and then real time close caption it and then send that signal back out to the TV. So it'd sort of be an intermediate box that could get expensive because it's probably a specialty box. The other thing that I would look into is something called Jubilee TV, and I did a segment with them on TV and basically this entire box is in invented for situations like you're talking about. The website get jubileetv dot com. The box is two hundred dollars and yeah, it's a little pricey, plus you have to pay a membership. I think it's like thirty bucks a month. But this literally you can control every single aspect of this TV from your phone. You can turn the TV on, you can turn it off, you can start a movie. You can even see what mom sees on her TV screen on your phone screen, so it literally live streams it to your phone and you can turn off, adjust the volume, turn on the closed captioning, turn it off, change the channel, go into the streaming service. You say, hey, Mom, I'm gonna put Netflix on for you. Here's a cool movie. Go ahead watch it. You can do it all from your phone.
Speaker 2: Again. It's called Jubilee TV.
Speaker 1: It's very specialized, but it is meant for situations like you're talking about. It's for caregivers that live across the miles, but they still want to be able to help their parents, especially when it comes to the TV unless they're just sitting there. Flipping the standard channels on the antenna could get very tricky with all these streaming services, So get jubileetv dot com that that will do what you need. But it is probably a little priceier, a little a little more high end solution of what you're talking about. But I would try just enabling the close captions first, depending on you know what she's doing. All right, let's go to Earl in Witty or Earl You're on with Rich?
Speaker 2: Yes, Rich, how are you I am doing, excellen.
Speaker 16: I have ordered a starlink many and I actually haven't got it. I had it sent to an next door neighbor to where I'm going to install it, and it's several hundred miles from here. But I want to use it as an intrusion monitor since we have no telephone service or anything really over there except for electricity and sunlight.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you need sol.
Speaker 16: I wonder if there's a problem getting the thing a camera set up remote on the on the startling, and also if it's necess if I finally get it to the point where I can use it to transmit pictures after motion, will it just keep sending on for the next twenty four to seven and burn up my data allowance? Or I don't understand how it knows how to do or what to do.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends on the camera you get, and it depends on the level of you know what you're setting. So with something like a ring cam, they typically there are settings in the camera which is called a timeout setting. So let's say it's triggered by motion. Let's say you have a raccoon, go and buy the camera, right, it gets triggered and then it sends you that notification to your phone. It can time out for the next you know, ten minutes, whatever you know, setting you put on there so it doesn't trigger automatically again, so that way you're not getting a ton of these all at the same time. And these cameras are also getting smarter, yeah, and that's built into the camera. So the wisecam, the ring cam, a lot of these cameras have that functionality built in, the UFI cams of the world. But I would start with maybe looking at the wisecams because those are the simplest and the cheapest and the easiest. The blink cams are also really simple and easy, and blink cameras in general are meant to sort of send you snapshots of things so that you can get alerts for you know, intrusion whatever, and that will send through the through the satellite. Do you have did you mention you have electricity for all of this or do you have to use solar?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 16: No, I have electricity.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're just basically wanting to set up a remote cam in a remote place through the starlink and have it text you when there's activity or.
Speaker 16: Emotion exactly and let me take a look at it too. Yeah, I get there when I get a push notification from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's a very straightforward setup. I think that you'll have no problem with this. And again it's just going to come down to the settings on the camera itself. The other one, the other camera that is sort of very simple and easy for this is called can Guru k A n g A r Oo and they have a system that can send you sort of a notification when there's it can send you like a series of snapshots when it senses motion. So I mean there's so many ways to tackle this. All these companies can pretty much do what you need. Now, the live stream part is, you know, when you get that notification, if you want to tap into the live stream of that camera, then you have the option to do that as well, and you can kind of either some of the cameras let you talk back and forth and say, hey, what are you doing there on my property or whatever. But again, the cameras that I would look at, the wisecam, the UFI cam, also the ring cameras and the Kanguru n g A r Oo and then the Blink cameras. But I think you're gonna have no problem with all this great question, Earle, thanks for the call today. Eight to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you how many people streamed the super Bowl. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one the website rich on Tech dot tv. If you want to send me an email. Hard to believe the super Bowl was just about a week ago, feels like for me, it feels like forever ago.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl streaming hit a new record fourteen point five million streaming viewers. This is a new all time record two B thirteen point six million viewers. That is a major win. Think about that. I mean Fox owns to B. They got so many people to download this app. Maybe you've heard of it, maybe you're aware of it. But to get this many people to sit there and not only download it, but to use it and to give them their email address, this is a huge win. So total TV and streaming audience for the game hit one hundred and twenty seven point seven million. So, as you can see, streaming still a small portion of this, but I think it goes to show the fact that so many people went direct with to be that's a big deal because it shows that, you know, over the years, you know, sports have been trying to protect their business because they make a lot of money on these services, right, like all the if you look at sports, it's kind of like the last hold out. Like everything else, you can kind of piece together. You can get stuff on YouTube, you can get stuff on Netflix and this and that. But like if you want to watch your favorite sports team, you typically have to subscribe to some sort of streaming service, like a paid service. And you know a lot of people either don't do that or they do. Look at Sunday Ticket, that's a big one. NBA has their own. So anyway, my point is that tub is now a force. A lot of people know about it. And I was actually talking to my mom last night about streaming services and I said, oh, Twob's on by Fox. She said, wait, what, She's like, they actually have a lot of good stuff on there, and I said, yes, they do, because Fox is putting a lot of their back catalog on this app. Why not You've got a whole catalog of old shows put them on there. You know, Pluto TV is Viacom, so they've got a whole bunch of old shows. I said, I'm watching Mister Wizard's World from Nickelodeon back in the day. Again, it's a show that was probably sitting on a shelf somewhere for many years, and they said, well, let's digitize this and put it on Pluto. And I don't think there's any ads on that one, but you know the other ones, they all have ads that play and that's how they make their money, just like old school TV. An app called trip case, travel app called trip case is shutting down. Saber is the company behind it. They're a big travel company. They are shutting down trip Case on April first. So tripcase was one of these sort of itinerary apps. You can put all of your information for your trip in there, and it was probably handy for like commercial travelers, you know, people that travel for business a lot. The big alternatives. If you were using trip case and you need something new, trip it is probably the number one biggest alternative to it, and trip it is great. Puts everything you need into a single itinerary and imports your emails automatically, your confirmation emails and it makes a nice itinerary. If you pay for the pro version, which your company may give it to you for free, that you get all kinds of real time alerts and all that good stuff that's available on iOS, Android and the web. Tripsy, if you're just iPhone you don't care about cross platform trips is just for iOS and the web, but very similar. It's kind of puts everything in a really it's like a nice it's like very well designed, let's put it that way. So Tripsy is same thing, very similar to trip It maybe not as corporate. This might be more for like, you know, the leisure traveler.
Speaker 2: Let's say.
Speaker 1: The one that I use I absolutely love, is called Award Wallet, and this is mostly designed to track your loyalty programs, like you can put in all your you know, Avis and Hurts and United and Delta and Marriott, and it will kind of keep track of all the points you have across all of those and I think it even gives you a value so you can see like your points value.
Speaker 2: But I don't use it for that.
Speaker 1: I actually just use it for this travel timeline feature, which is just incredible. The downside is you do have to give it access to your email account if you want it to do it automatically. If you don't want it to do it automatically, then you could just forward your confirmation emails to the award wallet. You get a special email. But what I love about this is you get one big travel timeline that you can scroll down and it gives you every single one of your reservations in timeline order, and it groups them too, so for instance, if you have a reservation that you're going to a trip on, it'll kind of group the trips together. So I mean, it's really really good and it's completely free and I love it. It's called a wardwallet dot com. And again it's available cross platform. You know, if you listen to me, I like apps that are available everywhere. I don't tell you about apps that are available on just one place most of the time because I don't believe in that. I believe that the Internet should be unifying us, not dividing us by saying, you know, hey, this only works on your type of phone. This only works on your type of phone. No, I like stuff that works on all phones the way it should. And finally, half right, I say that, And by the way, I'm going to go right to an app that's only available on the iPhone, but it's amazing. It's called Flighty. It is really the best and I've been begging the developer to bring it to Android. But Flighty is really incredible. But that's just for flight tracking, but it's the best app out there. It is incredible. Flighty.
Speaker 2: All right, Coming up, we.
Speaker 1: Are going to talk to the muscleman of tech, Bruce Peckman. He's got some tech gadgets for your health and fitness right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. What you don't see during the breaks is me typing furiously in the show notes so everything I mentioned. It's my biggest pet peeve, both with TV and radio. When someone says, hey, go to the website to find what I just talked about, and you go there and you can't find it.
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 1: So I do my best to make sure this information is on there so that you can get the link to whatever I talk about, whether you see me on TV or the radio. So Rich on Tech dot TV, I keep great show notes. If you go to the website, hit the light bulb icon that will bring you to all of the show notes. This is episode one oh nine. Joining me now Bruce Peckman, the Muscleman of Technology. His website mister bicep dot com. If you see him in person, yes, he's got the biceps of you don't necessarily see on a lot of tech people. Not me, that's for sure. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 12: Thanks ch for having me.
Speaker 1: So tell me about yourself you've been covering. When did you get into like the tech, I guess fitness side of things.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, I was started out as an engineer in aerospace. In fact, I worked on the B one bomber and the B two bomber, and then I shifted over to director of it. But my real passion because I've always my whole life been an amateur bodybuilder, and to this day, I've been in in about twelve or a dozen bodybuilding contests. So I competed in my twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, and sixties, and I'm doing one final show next year in my seventies. But I always loved technology, and I always was passionate about fitness and bodybuilding. So when I moved here to San Diego, there was an opening at a local TV station, Good Morning San Diego for a tech guy, and I said, I'm the Muscleman of Technology, and they loved it. So I basically my beat is everything to do with digital connected health and wellness and consumer tech. So they call me the Muscleman of technology, and there you have my life story.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't just cover tech. I mean, you don't just cover fitnes stuff. I mean you cover everything, right, But I cover everything.
Speaker 12: I pretty much do if it's interesting, if it's something I think that the public should know about that they may not because there's so many wonderful products out there, and there's also some dogs out there which I do not show. And I'm very judicious about what I put on my TV show as well and what I actually put at my website because I have to test it. It has to get the double bicep approval.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Bobo's laughing because I could see you on the video, but obviously on the radio we can't. But so tell me now you I had a health scare. This was wild because I saw you at a show where I didn't see you at a couple of shows and I said, where have you been?
Speaker 2: And you came out with.
Speaker 1: This story and I said, whoa what, So tell me what happened with your health?
Speaker 2: Scare right.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, all of us we have some really great genetics from our parents and some bad ones. I'm lucky I've got this great muscular body with a small waist and big shoulders. However, the bad side is that in my father's side of the family, we have very very extreme cardiovascular disease. Well. Being a bodybuilder, and to be perfectly honest with you, being brought up in New York City, I didn't have the best diet in the world, but it catches up to you. So in twenty eighteen a and though I looked fantastic and I still saw a cardiologist and I passed all the tests. I just went down one morning at like four in the morning and I got flushed and I didn't know what was going on, and I actually passed out for three to five seconds, and my wife said, no way, I'm calling nine to one one. So they ran test on me for two days. They couldn't find the thing wrong with me, and they said, you know, you have good insurance. Let's do an angiogram. Guess what the surgeon will be in your room in two hours. You're ninety percent clogged on all your three primary cauterioteries. And that's just how fast people die of heart attacks.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's so I guess that's just it's just telling of you got to get these tests. You got to do these things because like you, I mean, healthiest guy in the room. But again, it comes down to a lot of it is genetics.
Speaker 12: Genetics and our day to day what we put in ourselves. How much processed food are we eating? Are we eating out five times a day? Are we ingesting an incredible amount of saturated fats? You know, these are the things that do us in And you know they call it said because the standard American diet is pretty horrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: Well we try, I try, but it's not easy. We're up against a lot. Okay, so we are talking and by the way, you're doing great now, so that's good to hear. Let's talk about some of these gadgets. So what's the first gadget that you want to talk about?
Speaker 12: The first gadget and you know, I love connected health and fitness devices, and I like things that are small and portable because usually when they're small and portable, you're not only more app to use it because you don't need a lot of space, but usually they're portable. So I have the max pro Portable connective fitness device, and their website is max pro Fitness, and this is what it looks like, and you could just it's about ten or twelve pounds, but it folds up and you could attach these handles to it so you could either step on it and you can do all kinds of resistant exercises and there's a little dialog each side that goes from one to twenty five and I think the top one is the equivalent of three hundred pounds. But what I love is they actually have a bench where you can buy a third party bench and you could stick this under it and guess what you could do bench presses, you could do skull crushers, all your favorite exercises that you would do in the gym. But the best part it is connected and they have a wonderful app tells you all the exercises how well you're doing. It's Bluetooth and it's great. So I love this little thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the max pro Portable Connected Compact Home. Jim, let's talk about this powerball gyroscope handheld exerciser because we're all holding our smartphones in our hands and on the keyboard. Is this good for that kind of stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I love this. And there's several versions of these, and I actually did some videos for them like ten years ago. But this is called the Edge. And when I love about this, hand grip is everything. Especially as we get older, it's really important to keep that finger grip opening jars, opening doors. So the fast that you spin it, the lights will change. First it goes to blue, which is about nine pounds and thirteen hundred RBMs. Then it goes to green, which is forty one thirty. Then it goes to red, which is twenty seven pounds but six thousand RPMs. And then if you get it really going, you hit the violet and that's thirty six pounds and eight thousand, two hundred. And if you're really super strong, which I'm not, you can make go to white, which is like three thousands something thirteen thousand rpm. So it's just really fun to do. You can do it with either hand, really.
Speaker 1: Fun, and it strengthens the muscles in your hands, wrists and forearms, which I love. That is uh, I mean, it's a great It's one of what's that old thing people used to like that little like grip you know, you you know, like your dad would have it, you know, like.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, the squeegees squeechee.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of like a high tech version of that. All right, tell me about the the Withving's body scan, and we're run out of time, so I want to be a little quicker with some of these because I want to get there.
Speaker 12: The white thing body scan is really nice, but it hits all the biomarkers. So what you do You put in your bare feet and you hold up these things. It's eight electrodes and they have a wonderful connected out. So what you do is you hold these and it will tell you if your if your thirsty, will tell you your water, your fat, your visceral body fat. Visceral body pat is so important because that's the body fat in our abdominal cavity and that's very very telling. But it will also give you a cardiogram as well, very very nice, and it will tell you if something is wrong or not. It's great for early detection. It'll tell you your heart rate, it will tell you your muscle mass, your body fat. It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Is that that sounds like it does more than a smart watch.
Speaker 12: Well, it does, And don't get me wrong, I love the smart watches. I wear a Polar because Polar is all about heart, and heart's the most important indicator for me. But everyone should wear a fitness device because it's just nice to know how far you went equivalent of miles and steps and all these things help us.
Speaker 1: All right, tell me about the Massimo Mighty SAT Bluetooth connected digital pulse oxym oximeter pulse oxometers.
Speaker 12: Of the two most important things that you want to know when you put this on is it will tell you your blood oxygen level, which is critical if you're trying to diagnose whether you have maybe a flu or something more serious, because if your blood oxygen rate falls below ninety, that means you're about to pass out. If it's like eighty five or eighty four, you're not getting enough oxygen in your blood and you're going to probably start experiencing blackouts. It also tells you your heart rate as well. The reason I like the Masimo is because it's the first one that's FDA over the counter cleared. It's a little expensive, but they have something called set technology set technology, so that means it's going to be deadly accurate even when you're exercising. I use it on the treadmill.
Speaker 1: Rich, I don't want to hear the deadly and fitness in the same in the same sentence. There, all right, Finally, I know back pain is a huge thing. Give me the hyper hyper ice venom two. Tell me about that.
Speaker 12: Yes, that's wonderful. This is advice that does two things simultaneously. When we have back problems and my back goes out three times a year, I'm not immune from it because I abuse my body my whole life.
Speaker 1: Oh I had this happen once. It is not fun. Remember, Bobo, I came in. You're like, Rich, what's wrong? I could barely sit down when this happened.
Speaker 2: Yep, I remember that. Yes, Okay, keep going.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So eighty percent of the population is an experienced back pain at some point in their life. So you put this on. Heat is the best thing. What I like about this, it's connected and so you could actually have the duration and the type of heat you want and how long you want it.
Speaker 2: But it does a.
Speaker 12: Special trick up at sleep. It could also give you a massage, so that also not only helps loosen the back. But I love it because you don't need any of these over the counter and its allegiance and all these types of things that are toxic for our body. And I don't like those pads that you put on because that's also not good. Everything's absorbed through the skin. So this is wonderful. You're bringing heat which relaxes the muscles. It will help your back recover quicker.
Speaker 1: All right, here we are Bruce Peckman, the muscleman of technology, mister bicep dot com. How much are you gonna work out today? How many how many hours you spend a day?
Speaker 12: Well, I was the radio, was at the gym for an hour and fifteen minutes and all I did was back and then I'm going to go for my nightly walk. Tomorrow morning I'll be out in another gym. I'm going to be doing test and arms. So I trained six days a week, about an hour an hour and a half a day.
Speaker 1: All right, that's why they call you mister Bicep. You gotta see him. Go to the website mister Bicep dot com and I'll put links to all of these products on my website rich on Tech dot TV. Bruce, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Oh my pleasure.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up, we're going to open up the feedback. See what you've been emailing me this week. We got a lot of them right here on rich on Tech. Well, welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology online at rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Follow me on Instagram.
Speaker 1: I promise not to trick you with some AI pictures like I did last night by accident. I swear it wasn't intentional. Pizza was good, by the way, I always get a message about the pizza I eat because I eat New York style in LA and that's not easy to find. But I did find a place out here that has it, and they nail it. Like I'm talking. They get it right. And every time I post a picture of people knows it.
Speaker 11: What is it?
Speaker 2: What is I want to see this picture you posted?
Speaker 1: I'll show you the picture after I have to find you because I deleted it, all right, but I'll text it you Yeah, I mean, come on, who thinks a piece of pizza is as big as the first half of my torso? But then my kid and I had an idea. We're like, we should start a business giant pizza slice and it's just one huge pizza slice, all right. Before we get to the feedback, couple of items, Apple now lets you merge purchases from multiple Apple accounts. This is something that a lot of people have been waiting for. If you have like two Apple accounts and you've wanted to merge them, you can take all that stuff from that secondary account and put it to your primary account, so you can migrate purchases. Mostly media apps, music, movies, TV shows, books all can move over to that primary account. Let's see podcast libraries and Apple TV's up next queue from the secondary account will overwrite those on the primary.
Speaker 2: Well, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: iCloud data does not transfer, so anything stored in the secondary account remains separate. After the migration, the secondary account can no longer be used for media purchases. They all have to be on with the primary account. But this is really nice. It makes it much more simple if you had multiple accounts in the past and it's been bugging you and you want to consolidate them. Now you can YouTube. Can you believe it turns twenty this week? Yes, twenty years old. We are getting old. Twenty years YouTube's been around. It feels like it's just getting started. The first video was me at the Zoo. So YouTube actually launched twenty years ago as a dating site. Yeah, tune in hook up, but that didn't work, so they pivoted fast. They uploaded this first video, Me at the Zoo, in April two thousand and five, and of course the rest, as they say, is history. There's been plenty of viral videos on YouTube over the years. Google bought them in two thousand and six, very quickly after it started, for one point six five billion dollars. By the way, that's a little nowadays that they've made that back, or they're they're on their way to I mean YouTube. It was a very big business. So that was a great, great move. Of course, now they've got the pressure from tik tok and the other stuff. All right, let's get to the mailbag. Let's see here. Scott from Battle Creek, listening on WBCKFM says, Hey, I was listening to your show and I wanted to correct something about Samsung's tablet lineup. You said the latest and greatest was the S nine, but it's actually the S ten. I recently bought an S nine plus and I really like it. Hope this helps.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why I said the S nine, but yeah, S ten is the latest and greatest on the Samsung tablets.
Speaker 2: Let's see here.
Speaker 1: John writes in I caught part of your show where you advise someone not to trust a USB drive after seeing a corrupt error message. Usually this happens because they didn't eject the drive properly before pulling it out. I used to have this issue for years. Once I started ejecting my drives first, the problems disappeared. I hope your listeners don't throw away perfectly good USB drives. It depends on the kind of error, you know. If you're getting, you know you should definitely eject your USB drives. I hate that we have to do that, but got it. It's like a necessary evil. I'll be honest, So once in a while, just pull it out without all the act. Take that USB drive. Louise from Mission Viejo writes in I've been following you on TV for years during COVID, you and your family were my only source of comfort. Wow, only source you hear that, Bobo. I love seeing your outings and your travels. It was a breath of fresh air no pun intended with COVID happening. As a retired special education teacher, I truly appreciate your clear and easy to follow tech advice. Your compassionate and pleasant demeanor makes learning about technology so much easier, especially for my age group. Thank you rich for all you do, Bobo. Do you hear that? Changing lives daily basis one day at a time. But look at I mean, honestly, Louise, you deserve the star. You're a special education teacher that is a special person. You are incredible. Thank you for doing that. And yeah, really really awesome. Let's see here. Oh my god, this a long one. Uh Okay, here we go. Rosebud. Deborah from San Diego writes in I love your show. I learned something new every week. I've been journaling for years, so I was excited to try the Rosebud app you mentioned. I sign up for the seven day free trial and I absolutely love it. The AI features are fun and interesting and I can already see how I'm benefiting from using it. Thank you for sharing on your show, and congrats on broadcasting in New York. Deborah, I'm not kidding. Rosebud is the best app I've ever used. If you've ever thought about journaling, give this app a try.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding. Just talk to it.
Speaker 1: Just tell it what you're going through, or what your feelings are, or what your thoughts are, or what you're excited about. And it is really incredible to see how AI can almost act like a therapist or an advisor or confidant. You know, they don't label it as mental health, but it is. It really is good for your mental health to just put your thoughts out there on paper, I guess in this term in this case app, and just have it like out there. Just writing it down helps you process it. Kathy from Santa Monica writes in I'm happy for your rich You deserve all the success in the world. Congrats on New York City.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Kay from Norfolk, Virginia, listening on w TR rights in, I caught your radio show again this weekend. I really enjoyed listening while working on something. What were you working on like this mysterious something. I always learned something from your show. Lots of info and interesting. Well, that is my goal to make this show interesting. Let's see here. Ruthie writes in Wow, woor is a huge station in New York. Congrats are in order. Keep up the good work, la fan Ruthie. Let's see one more from New York. Kevin, congrats on market number one wr exit one fifty three to rout three, good people, good food, and now better tech talk radio. I love these emails. I like, I don't pay these people. Oh, I seriously don't. Here's how we pay by doing this show. This is our payment by doing this show. Let's see here. Ron from Hawaii listens on Spotify. Aloha, rich congrats on your full circle back to the Big Apple. Like the song says, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere, and you have. I've discovered your show on Spotify and I really enjoy the topics on popular apps and tech trends. Always something new and interesting to learn. That's gonna do it for this episode. You can find links everything I mentioned on the website richon Tech dot TV. Find me on social media at rich on Tech. Next week Facundo Holdsmeister from how Two Men. We'll talk about the coolest hidden Android apps. Thanks for listening. I'll talk to you real soon.