Speaker 1: Episode three eighty seven of Bucco Banter presented by Brave Bean Coffee Company. We are down on the Farm and we were going to talk minor league baseball and trades. You're listening to the Buco Banter podcast, brought to you by the Just Baseball Media Network CUGE the music facking.
Speaker 2: One on one. You see a couple of them in my Tastes with he and my limitage. Does the lec the way taste Ben seats at the Pirates? Can it let me run the base?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why thee is alloyans my date to my dates or to stick by the plate sending case keep the case from my race at my pace Cleared brands.
Speaker 3: Ed Is Snake, Welcome back to another episode of Down on the Farm or Minor League segment here at Bucco Banter, Adam, we only had unless you're including the rookie leagues, the DSL and the FCL, we only had a weekend.
Speaker 4: Of games here.
Speaker 3: So just like our recent episode, we're not gonna do Players of the Week anything like that, but we're gonna just generally recap level to level and the trade deadline's coming up, which is you know, in the current positions the Pirates are in.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's very relevant conversation.
Speaker 1: We've spent all year talking about how they've built their system with arms catchers, guys that have a ton of potential. This is the reason you do it for, right, not only to bolster your system and to eventually have guys make it to the show, but to be expendable, to be able to make trades that help you in Pittsburgh right now. And they've set themselves up well enough to do that. But now it's going to be which one of these prospects, which one of these players all the way throughout the system, all the way from the Dominican Summer League, all the way to Triple A, Which one of them brings back a return that's going to help this bullpen And I'll say bullpens. We're focusing on the bullpen right There might be some other moves that happened, there's rumors going around. I'm sure those are going to ramp up in the next couple of days. But Scott, it's going to be bullpen Helpe and a lot of teams are going to look at some guys in our system that are very, very compelling that could make a difference down the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's very few guys that would label as untouchable in the system. I think this organization has done a good job. Will give flowers where they are due. They've done a good job over the last couple of years drafting and in the international scouting market, and you know, acquiring talent in trades that to booster this minor league system. Right the prospects that they currently had, which two years ago, if you asked me, seemed pretty bleak. I'm like, how are we in year five of rebuild and our system still looks this thin, especially on the offensive side. But they've done a really good job the last couple of seasons, and outside of Seth Hernandez, there's not many guys I'd consider untouchable. And there's some guys that I consider untouchable unless it's for a specific person. Let's say a Mason Miller or a closer type that can come in and really be a top of the league, high leverage arm. I'd thrown to Edward Florentino. But you know, I think when you look at the system at large, there's not many untouchables here.
Speaker 1: I think you're holding on the Seth Hernandez at all costs. You potentially have had the best three years of first round draft picks that anyone's ever seen in Paul Skeins, Connor Griffin, and then Seth Hernandez.
Speaker 5: This is just.
Speaker 1: Unworldly talent that you've collected here. But I agree, I don't think anything should be untouchable. They're gonna listen to everything, right, everything that comes in, just like in the offseason when you're having trades come through. They're gonna listen to every single proposal that comes in. But it has to make sense for this twenty twenty six team, specifically the twenty twenty six Pirates. We're not looking at twenty twenty seven. We're not looking at twenty twenty eight. Obviously, years of control do matter to some degree, but this year specifically, you're trying to make a push. You're playing really good baseball right now and I'm not trying to beat the dead horse, but you got to show that you're in it. And that's going to take, as our friend Jim Stam said, a stomach like you're gonna have to stomach getting rid of some guys that you've fallen in love with it, Guys that you could dream on. And we're gonna touch on some of them here.
Speaker 3: I want to I want to do an exercise with everyone. First, Let's let's think back to previous years. Let's even go back a decade, if you can go back that far and think about some prospects along the way that you were really excited about that ended up not being big leaders or not being productive big leaders. I'll bring up one, Nick Kingham. Remember Nick Kingham.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, it's you're in the pirate system.
Speaker 3: Obviously there were some other factors there, but you know, you can you could probably list off a pretty big group of names if you really do the thought experiment and think about it for a little bit. Because not many prospects pan out guys, that's just the facts, right. I mean, you can dream on these soles, and it's fun to look at a guy like Edward Florentino and his swaying and and you know, the names go on and on right now in the system. But when you have the number one offense in baseball, I think you go for it. Even if you're only four games above five hundred, I think you go for it in a We just were up in Cleveland right watching them play the Guardians, who are leading the AL Central.
Speaker 4: This is a team that's better than most teams in the American League. I'll say that confidently.
Speaker 1: Thinking back, there's a lot of first round draft picks from the Pirates that just simply didn't play out a lot.
Speaker 3: A lot, and obviously they're they've gotten better on that front. I bet I can list a handful names in the twenty ten or two thousands, early two thousands, but yeah, what's some names you got online here?
Speaker 1: Adam Travis Swaggerty I was really high on for a while. He just didn't play out. My god, dude, Will Craig.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Newman, Cole Talker, Yeah, there's a lot Austin Meadows and Austin Meadows they sometimes had their moment, but yeah, flash in the pan.
Speaker 4: Yeah absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at Tamar Johnson. Tomar is still very young, but like it hasn't come to fruition for him yet.
Speaker 3: Still young, but he's Roll five eligible. Guys, right, he's Roll five eligible, and that means something, Right, you got to Adam to forty man, you gotta protect them and for the next season, but yeah, this is this is the nature of prospects, and it's it's a harsh reality that you have to deal with. And yeah, you're gonna trade away a guy that's gonna become a star. And it's not just because it's with the Pirates, It's it happens to every team. It happens, and and you've got to take that chance, especially when you have an offense like this. I mean, these these opportunities don't come up, come along too often.
Speaker 1: Scott. Let's look at Indianapolis. They played the Columbus Clippers this week Friday through Sunday. Friday, you have a W Saturday of a W Sunday, a W. Pretty good weekend for the Indians. Duce Gorson hit his first triple a homer. How do you feel about duce Gorson because last year, obviously you love the glove, you love the progression. This year a lot slower of a start. Where does he fit in with this club? And do you think he could gain any interest in trade talk?
Speaker 4: Absolutely. We saw him in spring training.
Speaker 3: He was hot the whole way through, and I think he got off to a slow start and it just kind of carried through Altuna there because Altuna as a team gone off to a very slow start. It was kind of contagious. I think he peaked at like two thirty there, but.
Speaker 4: Let's just hope that.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a guy that played at UCLA, a top tier college program, and has you know, plus back the ball skills. I think it could play multiple positions. I do think he's got a big league future ahead of him. Whether that's as a low end utility player or a utility player for a contending team, I don't know. But this team has a lot of those, right. We just brought up in Jacob Benzalz. You've got Tyler Callahan, who's a little bit more season than dues Cours, and obviously you've got Jared Triolo too. And people may laugh, but you've got Jared Triola who's won a Gold Glove. So where does du sports and fit on this team. That's a good question to ask. But I do foresee him having some big league value moving forward.
Speaker 1: The only other one, the big one at the Triple A level, I think Tramar I don't know how much interest he's going to gain from other clubs. Potentially, you know, somebody might see something there and there could be a change of scenery. But I don't know if the Pirates are quite done on Tremorrow yet. Hunter Barco, I think could be in a lot of trade talks Scott. I know there's the injury history. Things haven't really panned out for him in Pittsburgh to date coming out of the bullpen at least, but there's still a lot of pedigree there. There's a lot of people that probably believe in the starter of Hunter Barco and he might be a frontline guy in some talks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he absolutely will be. And he's finally healthy again too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know durability has been a concern, and this is we talked about this before the season. This is a guy that I'm like, why, baby, let's just go all out. And I don't know if the bullpen's necessarily for him. He didn't get off to the best start in the big leagues in the bullpen, but when healthy, he's shown it. Man, he's shown it for sure, especially in double A last year to start the season. I think this is a guy that would entice the Mets, specifically. The Mets have talked about wanting close to big league ready talent, especially arms, and I think this is a guy that they would put in the big leagues right away, potentially in the starting rotation. He just threw three innings on Friday, two hits nowhar and two walks, two k He's got a four to fifty four ERA. But again that's subject of just some inconsistent inconsistency this year a little bit of a roller coaster of a season there for Hunter Barco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they could also listen on the password as well. I mean, I truly do think they're going to keep him. They didn't want him to be part of the few in Pittsburgh, and there's some tools that need to be tweaked with a little bit. But I think teams are going to inquire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I think the I think the password is definitely going to be in talk. So we've heard his name a lot, you know, mentioned here in recent weeks.
Speaker 4: So wouldn't be surprised to see him.
Speaker 3: But I also like em betting on him staying here in Pittsburgh because I do think they foresee him as a big part of the team's future.
Speaker 4: Let's move on to Alton to Adam.
Speaker 3: They're in Redding playing the fight in fields Philly's double A affiliate. Murph Gray first game as a curve double, a debut hit, a home run, his twenty fourth of a season. I can't stress enough how just incredible of a first season of pro.
Speaker 4: Ball this guy is having.
Speaker 3: This is a top one hundred prospect through and through, and this is a guy that's going to be having a lot of conversations around when he's going to be in Pittsburgh next season, because that that is the timeline that we're looking at. As a college bat, a sector that they don't hit on a lot in this organization. They were able to out of the Mountain West Conference, really good program at Fresno State.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean, Murf Gray is just not even just in the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Organization, but in all of minor league baseball has had one of the most impressive seasons for a first year bat.
Speaker 1: He's jumped three levels. This is what Connor Griffin did on Now, I know that's a nineteen year old high school kid. There's a big difference there, but a lot of guys still don't make that jump. A lot of guys finished the year in Greensboro. They don't make it to Altuna or it's for the last week of the season. This is some really really good stuff. And there's other names here. Two Callen Moss has been a lot better in the second half of the year going towards the break. Lonnie White's starting to pick it up a little bit. Rule five eligible guy, so his name could be thrown around if they don't protect him. I think they might be okay, like a lot of these other guys, but there's still potential there. He's having a good year when you need him to have a good year. So there are options here. And we talk about how deep they are at catcher. Derek Berg went five for ten this weekend, four runs, two doubles with a home run. He's hitting two ninety three. They they have talent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they absolutely do.
Speaker 3: And would you call me crazy, Adam if I said, yeah, well, you would call me crazy regards. Would you call me crazy if I said that Murph Gray might be more of an untouchable than Edward Florentino.
Speaker 1: For me, No, and I people might think that, but I think you're going to get more out of Murph Gray sooner than betting on Edward Florentino to figure out at a higher level.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm distracting as the Pirates are down four nothing in the first inning.
Speaker 3: Really they are, Yeah, NICKI g made a crucial error that could have ended the inning, and then it's just kind of unfolded from here. Just just a three run homer, A little update here. I'm down the farm. You'll already know that by the time you listen to this.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think Murph Gray, this third base is.
Speaker 3: A position of need for this organization. And you know they just acquired Jack and Gonzalez. I think he can kind of be your Swiss Army knife plague wherever you need him to. And yeah, I think he's gonna be in the conversation for the future third baseman two. But I just think this is a guy that has exceeded expectations in his first season and continues, just like Connor did last year, continues to produce at every level that he goes to.
Speaker 4: Is not overmatched at all.
Speaker 3: You know, I think his prospect pedigree is higher than he's being ranked right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I one hundred percent agree. Let's go to Greensboro. The fifty six and thirty three Grasshoppers continue with talent and just an unconscious run of Sammy Sephora because this weekend he was five for nine, five runs, a double, two home runs, four rbi, is a walk, only two strikeouts in a stolen base. He's hitting three h nine where Donnie del Santos went five for ten, Easton Carmichael five for nine, Florentino hit two home runs. There's just a lot going on here. As always in Greensboro, the offense is booming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone needs to pour a bucket of ice water on Sammis Sefira because this is just on a terror right now.
Speaker 4: Actually, don't do that, Let's let him keep going.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the fact, the fact that and I said this on the last episode last week, is a guy that's already a plus defender up the middle, a plus runner, like if the bat is improved, if this is real, I know, I think there is a mixture of the park factors being part of the equation here and him actually making some changes. I think there it could be a little bit of both. But yeah, this this increases his prospect stoff a lot. And then he said Carmichael, I'm just waiting for this guy to be in double A because he's definitely earned it at this rate. Uh, this is one of the best hitting catching prospects in all base.
Speaker 1: I think the big name to watch here when it comes to the trade deadline is do or Donnie Delos Santos, if a team wants to put them on their forty man and protect him for next year, because he's having a really good season. He's hitting two eighty three. Scott, I just don't know if this is somebody that we're going to see long term in Pittsburgh with all the talent that they have right now, or if that success is going to even continue throughout the next year or two. So definitely look to see him maybe packaged or considered in some trade talks moving forward. Let's go to Bradenton, the forty one forty six Marauders at the Tampa Tarpins, the low A affiliate for the Yankees. Ed Glen Perez, who they brought back last year, one for seven this week with aron, a walk and a strikeout. He's hitting two eighty nine. And then Johann Delos Santos, who was recently promoted to affiliated baseball about a week ago, went two for seven with two runs, a walk, two k's, and three stolen bases. What's your takeaway? For this short weekend of baseball here, Scott.
Speaker 3: My takeaway is that Levi Sterling is the next pitcher in the system to unlock another level. I think he's continuing to evolve here as a pitcher. Was raw coming out of high school in California. This week on Saturday, six innings, three hits or earned off a home run really, two walks, but nine k's. I think he's got bat missing traits in all of his pitches, especially the fastball curveball combo that he can work north to south with. This is a guy that's gonna unlock another level here very soon. It's gonna be really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Love that you had the FCL and you had the Dominican Summer League. Barco did get a rehab start last early in the week on Monday. He went one in two thirds, one hit, one earned, one walk, one K. Anything else that stands out to you in either of these leagues, Scott, that you want to talk about right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Carlos Tahara, a guy that was just bumped up, seventeen year old outfielder from DSL to the Complex. He came state side this week six for fourteen to two homers, four.
Speaker 4: RBIs the stolen base. He's sitting two seventy eight and FCL.
Speaker 3: I think this is the next name to be.
Speaker 4: A guy out of the Dominican.
Speaker 3: Like we mentioned with as Merlin and Tony Blanco and some of these other signings. As Merlin signed for one hundred and thirty K out of the Dominican. These aren't sexy signings. I think Florentino's was a little bit higher than that, but it wasn't over a million dollars.
Speaker 4: Carlos to Hera definitely was. I think ninety five thousand. It was less than one hundred K.
Speaker 3: So be on the watchout for him because I think this is a name that's gonna be a household name sooner rather than later. And then in the DSL, they had the All Star Game this week, so it was a shortened week. But other than Jansher Custodio finally getting together, he started. This is their top international signing in this recent class. Sixteen years old outfielder started one for twenty five with nine k's. He also did start healthy either, but this week was four for eight with two doubles, So I look for him to get going down the DSL.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling next down on the farm is going to be a little bit different. Yeah, guys no longer in the system, and I hope it's for the best for both sides. I hope some of these guys find success in other places, and I hope we find success at the big league club. When it comes to these trades. They've done so far, so good with a lot of the trades recently, which is hard to say as a Pirates fan. They've past couple of years pretty decent. They've made out pretty well, whether it's just been minor league guys or guys that have contributed at the pro level. Let's try and keep that going, Scott. This episode's brought to you by Total Sports Enterprises, the best memorabilia shop in all of Pittsburgh, Pirates, Steelers, Penguins. Whatever your heart desires, they have you covered. Go to TSC shop dot com for any of your memorabilia needs. We don't have any Players of the Week this week because they only played three days of baseball, so we will be back next week with the Players of the Week, hopefully some more trade talk, some guys, new guys to discuss whatever is happening in the pirate system. We have you covered. Make sure you go to bucco banter dot com read all the great work from our writers, and then make sure you subscribe to the newsletter and then go to your email and opt in so you get those updates every single series. Like subscribe, leave a comment, tell a friend all that good stuff. We appreciate all of the support and until next time, oist it, oist.
Speaker 2: It best seats at the pirates get it.
Speaker 4: Let me run the base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see is alloyans my date?
Speaker 3: To my dates?
Speaker 4: Or to stick by the plate Synick