Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Monday, October thirtieth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, Episode number fifty nine. Welcome to the latest edition.
Speaker 2: Of The Break.
Speaker 6: We are live from the s WBC Mortgage studios at the Star. We're talking about the Cowboys big victory yesterday over the Los Angeles Rams. They went forty three to twenty at home. It's a starting become kind of a trend here that when the Cowboys are in at and T Stadium, two things happen. One the crowd is into it, and two the Cowboys bring their a game. Another great performance by them yesterday. We'll break it down for you guys to let you know what we think went right and maybe a few things that went wrong for the Cowboys yesterday in that big victory. We will start where we start every Monday with the storylines of the game. Let's go around the table. What do you think is the biggest storyline or the way that this week will be remembered when this season is all said and done.
Speaker 2: Brian, let's start with you today.
Speaker 4: I think the way that the game started out so poorly for them offensively, with the scheme of trying to block the rams front.
Speaker 3: We felt like that it was gonna be a little bit of.
Speaker 7: A challenge with Donald and Young and.
Speaker 4: And Hoyt and those guys. But I didn't expect it to be where the first three, the first five plays were going to.
Speaker 3: Be like it was.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 3: Disturbing, it really really was.
Speaker 4: And and uh but you know, once they were able to figure things out, the officials, Aiden Hill and his crew gave you a huge break on the uh the uh illegal illegal contact penalty right there. That kind of got things going. And once that happened, though, they were able to settle in the line did a much better job of handling protection. I think the thing in this game that was most suppressive how Dak Prescott was able to keep his eyes down the field. And that's something that you know, when this cowboy offense and what we've seen some early in the season has been a little bit more about the underneath stuff. But he was able to make some plays, manipulate some plays. He did a great job of when the the Rams would twist their front or move their front, he went to the side where the twister was going away. Say that Aaron Donald running and they were going to try and loop him inside. He attacked that part of the pocket and was able to buy him a little bit more time and his and his guys did a good job of holding up.
Speaker 3: But it was a little bit of a rough start.
Speaker 4: But the quarterback didn't get frustrated, the play card didn't get frustrated, and they took advantage of a secondary that hadn't given up very much this season, but gave up a lot yesterday.
Speaker 8: Boom goes to dynamite for the Cowboys offense. We have been waiting for the explosiveness. We've known they've had weapons all training camp, all you know, regular season going into the bye week, but we had not seen what this Texas Coast offense looks like when it's fired on all cylinders. And I venture to say it still wasn't on all cylinders yesterday, but it was damn sure on most of them.
Speaker 5: And resiliency.
Speaker 8: When you talk about that resilience from the Cowboys, you saw a microcosm of it on that opening drive.
Speaker 5: Like like Brian.
Speaker 8: Said, you know, first two or three plays, it was disastrous. It was just disastrous. But what do they get sacked for a loss of five yards? There was another sack that was deleted by legal contact. Then it sacked again on the very next play, four yard loss. So you're thinking at that moment, You're like, Tyron Smith is out. This is what Ak Prescott's going to be up against. This is going to be a long day. They mount up on the offensive line. Next several plays, Lamb seventeen yards, galloped fourteen yards on a tow drag that was beautiful, by the way, Cook's nineteen yards, Ferguson eighteen yard touchdown in the red zone. Cowboys offense went rolling from there, and then they started getting everybody involved. Lamb went off, had a career day, Cooks got involved. Like I mentioned Ferguson gallop, I mean, it was just it was magnificent. Deck did it with his arms, did it with his legs. Three hundred yards, four touchdowns, and even the interception that was tipped at the line of scrimmage and then went off McEwan's hand.
Speaker 5: That was just a bad break on you know, as far as fly, I.
Speaker 4: Don't I'm not sure if he was throwing. I think he might have been throwing the ball to scoon.
Speaker 2: Maker back in the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what happened? It just real quick. I'm sorry that particular play. I mean it just when you watch it from the end zone. First off, I think Dak would like to have it over because he kind of he opens himself up on the throat. He had ants to set his feet and make more of a direct throw if he wanted to make it. I thought the way that the routes were coming, when you had McEwen and everybody, he had all this convergence in the middle of the field, and I thought, man, it is a poor design if that's what you're trying to do. But it looked like to me scoon Maker was deeper at the goal line, and I wonder if McEwan thinking the ball was coming inside and that's why he put his hand up and it knocked the ball straight up.
Speaker 7: But Dak's feet not great. I'm sure if you'll look at it.
Speaker 4: I'll say, ah, you know, technique wise, man, I gotta set and I got to throw, but he opened himself up and it kind of caused the ball to drift on him a little bit. But that was one of those weird designs of a play that I didn't quite get, all the clutter that they created in the middle of the field with that.
Speaker 8: But Hill, speaking of Schoolmaker, even the rookie got involved. He rookie got a first down catch for Dak Prescott in the offense. So I mean, like I said, the running game was still waiting to see what happened there. But I'm totally fine with the running game still working to get work its way back up to a top form as long as this passing game continues to look like it is.
Speaker 6: Look, I'll throw something real quick game before you go on that play too. It was I thought it was an interesting concept. It had some creativity to it from the standpoint that they were going with the twenty two personnels, the two running backs, and they had two tight ends, but they were split wide. They had nobody in the backfield. The empty set is empty set, and you got all these guys on the field that would tell the opponent, this is going to be a run play, like that was the way that you would want them to do it, and then you empty it out and then you run this mess concept where they're kind of McCune and Lipky are kind of coming and trying to create confusion, and then you got you know, Schoolmaker in the back.
Speaker 7: So I get what they were trying to do.
Speaker 6: I think it was creative, but I agree with you, me and Nichola sitting there and Nicholas like, I don't know what ultimately they thought was going to be the.
Speaker 2: Result of this kind of play.
Speaker 3: I thought he was trying to hit mcew it.
Speaker 4: And then when you watch the end zone copy of it, Schoonmaker standing like right in the middle. I mean, he's driving to the goal line, and I'm thinking, I'm thinking Dak is going to try and fit it right there to him, And because the how how off the pass was, it was so far behind McEwan, it's like, well, he's not that inaccurate with.
Speaker 6: Then you also think if he's going to school. I was like, well, if he was going to school, he probably had to have more air on it. So I almost wonder, if you know, sometimes you're thinking two different things. You kind of get caught in between, like you're like, I should have made the throw there or I should have made you know, and you get caught in between. It's just behind not enough air, and there you go.
Speaker 4: There was just too much going on in the middle of the field though it was it was way I mean, it's just way now when you talk about it going empty. If Dak wanted to be really cute, he could have thrown the ball in the corner to to Pollard for a touchdown. If he really wanted to be like, Okay, we're gonna we're gonna give you this searching personnel and then we're gonna go empty and I'm gonna throw it to the back, yeah, just because you're not going to cover the back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so but uh, he tried to fit it in there, and I, like I say, because of how it was off.
Speaker 7: You know, he was not off at all in that.
Speaker 3: Game yesterday, surgical all at all.
Speaker 4: And so that's the thing that that's why I think that it maybe he was trying to go to schoon maker because of how much the ball was behind McEwan and.
Speaker 8: Then using the last thing using speaking to just how surgical he was. It wasn't just in the air, it was with his legs as well, but it was timeliness with when he chose to take off and run with the ball. As far as converting on the third down, it's you know, third and long, third and short. So absolutely so dirty deck is in the building. Let's go storyline amber h.
Speaker 9: I feel good, nice, always good when you put some James Brown in the bis.
Speaker 10: Let's go, No pheel's good.
Speaker 9: Feel's good to watch the Cowboys actually play well in all three phases of the game, and we've that's what we've been asking. We haven't seen it all season, and I think this is the first game where we actually finally see some of that. But at the same time, even though I want to jump up and down and celebrate and all that, I'm trying to stay grounded and stay put not get too well because I know what's coming this weekend. And despite everything that we saw that was working really really well, and you guys talked about it, the O line and some of those issues there now with Tuma also hurt.
Speaker 10: I don't know what the.
Speaker 5: Separate ankle and it's a low anklespro.
Speaker 10: So what does that look like? Timeline.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 3: You could you can just find a way. Yeah, you find a way to play through it is what you really do.
Speaker 9: Definitely not yea either that doesn't sound good either way better than the other scenario for sure. But we saw that the Cowboys did end up deciding to rest Tyron Smith and he did not play, so maybe he will be ready in a full full quote unquote one hundred percent for this weekend. But but yeah, definitely something that you want to see them playing that way, knowing what's coming next. And again we talked about this, Derek. You want to enjoy the wins when they happened. I want to say in the moment week.
Speaker 10: Two week that's how the season goes.
Speaker 9: But at the same time, it's one of those things that great to see great practice, getting people involved and figuring out what's working for your offense and hopefully they can take it up a notch or keep it going for next weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: All right, So let's let's dive in a little bit to Dak Dak yesterday was twenty five or thirty one, eighty one percent completion rate. I think this is a third game this year when he's been above eighty percent.
Speaker 2: That's pretty phenomenal.
Speaker 6: He did three hundred and four, He had three undred four passing yards, four touchdowns, only one interception at one hundred and thirty three point seven quarterback rating. And as you mentioned Patrick, he had five rushes for nineteen yards, and it was more about when he ran and how he ran. I think he picked up two first downs, two times he ran on third down and picked up first downs when there was nothing there. So all in all, really good day for him. My question for you guys is how much of his success do you think yesterday was a reflection of the offense offense starting to click, like them now starting to feel comfortable maybe in this new offense.
Speaker 8: I think that goes to a large portion of it, because as we talked about, as it relates to the offensive line, this can be spread across any position. Reps matter, Reps matter, Reps matter, So the more reps they get with a healthy unit of skill players, then obviously they should be improving in that aspect. But I've said it before, and I'm kind of harping on this because for me, this is the key that unlocks the chemistry of the Texas Coast offense. It's Dak's willingness to get out there and use his legs when the time presents itself. It simply puts too much pressure on the opposing defense to have to try to account for him as well. But the timeliness in which he does it, he basically loves them to sleep and makes them forget that he's going to do that, and then they don't account for him, and then he's like, oh, opportunity, I take that, So now they have to account for it. And then once they start accounting for it, guess what a position becomes open, or a player becomes open, or someone gets opened on a break on the next play, because you can't do two things at the same time, like you said in Decision that do I cover for Dak or do I drop back and play coverage better? And a lot of times you're kind of in a no win situation. So I think it's a combination of more reps more reps. They're getting their continuity. We would love to see the OL get their continuity, because wow, what could this offense be if Dak had that kind of protection and still use his mobility when the time presents itself. But again, I really think that him being able to use his legs, extend plays, improvise. That's helping unlock the Cowboys potential on offense.
Speaker 9: I also think that when you see something work, it gives you more confidence to keep doing it. And they were able to do that against the Chargers, and then it was effective. You get to watch it on tape, your body feels it too. You start feeling confident, like, Okay, not that this is new to him because we've seen it in years past, so, but it's just getting him back into maybe just breaking it loose and just running when the opportunities do present itself. So I think that Hats had something to do with what happened against the Chargers him carrying that over to this game. Starting off the way they did, getting sacked, getting pressure, you're like, oh, oh crap, I'm gonna have it's gonna it might be one of those games where I have to run for my life. Luckily, it got better and later on he wasn't constantly getting pressured like that at the beginning of the game, and the oline was able to do a better job. But him seeing those chances and maybe feeling more comfortable on the field and just running. I think he's doing a really good job not forcing it in a way where now you're just making yourself look sloppy and not working. He's taking those chances at the right moment and being very effective with it.
Speaker 3: Play callers getting in a better rhythm.
Speaker 4: You're starting to see the emergence of elite wide receiver, and you've got a tight end that won't drop the ball right now, and he finds a way to get space and they get run after catch with him. The running game is serviceable right now. The quarterback running clearly is a factor. You look on the touchdown where Lamb was.
Speaker 3: Completely by himself.
Speaker 4: Three guys were running right to dak As he's breaking the pocket. So he affects people that way. But I feel like that's where this team is going with it. You know that we could talk about the continuity and things like that, which are all very good, but I think you're having the emergence of some players that you and they're even getting Cooks involved, and that's something they weren't able to do the first part of the season.
Speaker 6: All Right, we're going to take our first reak when we come back. I want to dive in a little bit on those wide receivers. You mentioned Ceedee Lamb having a huge day. Jack ferguson making the catch that we've been waiting for a tight end to make over the middle of the field in.
Speaker 2: The red zone. Brandon Cook's even getting involved.
Speaker 6: We'll talk about all those guys and maybe what they saw what we saw yesterday, maybe in a little different than what we've seen in past weeks. Well, then when we come back Dallas, cap Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's our mascot, rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile banking.
Speaker 13: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assist in Erica.
Speaker 8: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 2: Erika is only available in the English language.
Speaker 13: You ust download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on SELECTA mobile devices.
Speaker 5: Said you dat races may plie number FDIC.
Speaker 14: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from our next caller.
Speaker 3: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 5: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 14: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 11: To cry out?
Speaker 14: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on.
Speaker 5: And off the field.
Speaker 15: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a lowcate near you. Back to the break.
Speaker 7: Your Dallas Cowboys had to Philly to take on the Eagles in week.
Speaker 4: Nine, November fifth. Is what you're saying, I say, yep, oh yeah, I thought I was reading the wrong day. Then come out to the Mirrle Light House at AT and T Stadium for a free watch party presented by seven to eleven cheer on the Boys alongside the Cowboys cheerleaders and rowdy while in joining five dollars Miller Lites, food trucks and more. Gates opened at two pm. Kickoff is off at three twenty five. For more information and to claim your free watch party ticket, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash watch Party Go Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Cowboys did that earlier this season for I can't remember which game it was. It was one of the games where we had a road game and they had this watch party out of the stadium and it was well attended, very cool event from what I understand, had a lot of fun out there. So if you're not going to be traveling to the game and going to be here in the Dallas Fort Worth area, you might want to check that out.
Speaker 2: It'd be fun, fun times.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 6: All right, let's get back to it is the second segment of the breakway from that WBC Mortgan Studios at the start, and this segment is brought to.
Speaker 2: You by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 6: All right, let's talk about the wide receiver, Ceede Lamb yesterday twelve catches for one hundred and fifty eight yards on fourteen targets. He only missed two passes or two passes were incomplete that were throwing his way.
Speaker 2: He had two touchdowns.
Speaker 6: Jake Ferguson had four catches for forty seven yards and a touchdown that really nice.
Speaker 3: Caching straight to him that he's caught.
Speaker 2: Oh you're talking about yam, yes yet No.
Speaker 4: First, first, the last drop he had was the last misconnection was the fourth quarter of the Arizona game.
Speaker 5: Fifteen Street, two hundred yards.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, that's pretty pretty impressive, especially after we've been talking a little bit about like are you missing Dalton Schultz. I think that that was about throw Jake the ball right, no doubt, no doubt. And then Brandon Cooks had three catches.
Speaker 9: Maybe the Stars would look a little different if he actually got the ball thrown his way a lot more often.
Speaker 8: And for me, it's not even necessarily about throwing it a lot more often, it's just seeing how often he's open. And example being the previous game against the Chargers, which's just like those extra passes you forced to Michael Gallop in the game where he was struggling. Take three or four of those and throw them to Jake and it's a much better outcome and you probably win that game pretty handily, maybe about ten points instead of three.
Speaker 2: So what'd you guys see?
Speaker 6: What did you see from the receivers, particularly in this game that maybe is a little different than what we seen before. You can even throw in Crook Cooks who had three for four.
Speaker 4: I was worried going into this game and we talked about how the Ram cornerbacks were going to play the zone coverage they were going to play. The Cowboys did a great job of winning on a lot of routes, and when it came to some of the combinations of the routes and the ability to get some guys open, they were spot on with the way that they were, the depth of the routes, the way they were to break the routes. They put the Rams under a lot of pressure that way, with some of the stuff they had, routes that were that held guys and play has held safeties in place, created opportunities for others, whether it's Cooks or Lamb or even Gallop to get open on the play because of the way. So they were much cleaner in the game when they had the opportunity to run these routes. And if teams are gonna play pro gonna play zone coverage against the Cowboys, the Cowboys are gonna kill him.
Speaker 3: Dak Prescott is going.
Speaker 4: To absolutely kill you if they If he knows that you're not gonna play man coverage and he's good when when you blitz. By the way the backs, Pollard did it once again, a great job of picking up and helping. Even Rico Dabdell had one that was just a nice step up. I mean, Dak checks the play. I believe it's the touchdown pass to Cooks that where he was. He just the pickup was right there. Dak checked the protection, he saw the blitz, he picked up the guy. He took a big hit on the play, but he got the ball out. So yeah, if the Cowboys are if teams are going to play zone coverage, so the Cowboys are going to eat them up all day with their ability to run rounds.
Speaker 8: I think what was also impressive was the fact that Ceedee Lamb he ate in a variety of ways. It wasn't simply him playing on the outside. The Cowboys did a fantastic job of nearly split him fifty to fifty from slot to outside, and he was destructive in both manners. So I mean about half of his yardists came from the outside. The other half, for the most part, came from a slot position. So it just shows you that the Cowboys are scheming their best receiver open and That's a lot of times. That's what fans have been wanting to see when they're trying to figure out when Ceedee Lamb comes out of a game of frustration and you know where was Lamb in this game?
Speaker 5: Why why wasn't he getting the targets?
Speaker 8: They start pointing at guys like Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay and how those kinds of football minds can scheme their best player open. Well, if you look at a game like yesterday, that's exactly what Mike McCarthy did with Ceedee Lamb. He was basically saying, I'm going to try him here, I'm going to do it here. He's working here, but now we're going to bounce back out. And then when you mix that with what Brian is talking about with his own coverage, that was really nothing the Rams can do, even when they went into a mixed coverage. If you look at go back and look at Seedee Lamb's first touchdown, that was a mixed coverage, but the way the look was it froze that safety, and it froze that safety inside just long enough for Lamb to go shallow then deep, and then that puts it right past the safety's here a hole for a touchdown. So does magnificent work. And of course you talk about the continuity and the chemistry. That throw to Cook's one trust factor because as soon as Cook's got hip to hip, that ball was out because that was Dak Truck, that's training camp right there, that well thrown.
Speaker 7: Absolutely they went double move on that.
Speaker 3: And you know, and fortunately though Dak, I mean the protection breaks down.
Speaker 4: Doc Dak got punished on the throw, but he was able to get the ball away before a hot got.
Speaker 3: To him on the hit.
Speaker 8: And he did not wait for the trust again trust, he did not wait for the separation. He trusted the separation would occur because if we're even I'm leaving and Cook's left his man right there, so fantastic.
Speaker 9: Yeah. To me is it was all about getting the ball to the right person at the right time, and it finally worked for the Cowboys because we've been talking about this for multiple weeks where we do see players being open but the ball is not getting thrown that way. We talk about Jake Ferguson, Brandan Cooks, you mentioned him all the time, and we see it Brian where he's just open, like he's just standing there like, hey, okay, cool, next play, Let's see if we can make it happen now. And now that was the time where they were able to get the ball to the right person at the right time, and it worked effectively. And you talk about Dak just being in sync and everybody just being in sync, everybody being on the same page and knowing what was going on. You don't get that city lamp getting upset, get me the ball.
Speaker 10: There was like a.
Speaker 9: Everything was just falling in place so smoothly for them, and now they finally seem to have that rhythm where people are just connecting and following their instincts rather than trying to force the ball to Let's say, Michael gallup where.
Speaker 6: It all started yesterday for Dallas up front with the offensive line.
Speaker 2: We talked about how at the beginning of the game it was really, really, really mess.
Speaker 6: A tough start, and really, I mean, I think we all by the time you got past those first four plays the game, you think it's gonna be one of those days where, uh, they just won't be able.
Speaker 2: To stop this pass rush.
Speaker 6: But they settle in and the interesting part about it is that one gave up one more sack in that game. Uh, they actually had a season low pressure rate this game twenty one point one percent.
Speaker 3: Didn't start out that way.
Speaker 2: It did not start pressure no doubt.
Speaker 6: So the question becomes, did you guys think that that the offensive line figured something out or was it just a situation where between the combination of them getting a little bit better and maybe Dak also avoiding pressure. Uh, that really was the difference. As the game wre on.
Speaker 4: I kind of felt like that they got a little bit better. I think there was a little bit the the one that was kind of bothersome, but it was it's you know, it's Aaron Donald versus Zach Martin and and Aaron Donald just was the better player on that one play. Those are the kinds of ones that you kind of can like, Okay, that's just two great players going at it. The one great player is not able to block the other great player. But when they get beat on twists and things like that where it's just not awareness or they flat just don't help each other. You know, there's there's reasons why. There's always a reason why you give up a sack. I mean, you could physically get beat or you could physically get run around but when you give it up because of movement up front and you're not passing stunts, those are the ones that bother you the most, you know, those are the ones. And Dallas initially in that game had somewhere it was you know, they were just not you know, handling what was going on up front. But I think they did a better job of kind of figuring out. And there were a couple of times there where they made some really big plays where Donald wouldn't on the field. So sometimes you have to take advantage of when the great play is not on that field pass rushing against you.
Speaker 5: I think I agree.
Speaker 8: I think the offensive line got it together, for lack of a better way to put it, disastrous first few snaps, and then from there they got more and more solid as the game went on. And what helped them and stop me if you've heard this before, is Dak being willing to use his legs. And now, from a defensive lineman standpoint, you have to consider that. So maybe you can't t off and just go top gear from snap and try to get into the backfield because maybe you have to figure out, well, maybe I should drop a gear down because I might have to play laterally in case he leaks out.
Speaker 5: So it's a combination of those two things.
Speaker 8: The offensive line got it together and helped their quarterback, and in turn, their quarterback helped his offensive line by being willing when the protection did break down. At several points later in the game, whereas the game went on, you saw Dak not standing there waiting to go down, like he was making some things happen, which then that helps the wide receivers because now you're extending to play and it's damn near impossible to be able to cover CD Lamb and Brandon Cooks and that type of speed for three four seconds at a time. So one hand washes, the other washes the left foot, which washes the right foot, so it all works.
Speaker 10: Okay, I never heard that one.
Speaker 9: That's maybe they didn't have like a great pregame warm up.
Speaker 10: I don't know. I wasn't out there to wake up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, it was an early morning. Took you a little bit. I know it took me a little bit to get awake. But maybe it's one of those cases where it does take a few plays to kind of figure out. Okay, all right, let me let me get my stuff together.
Speaker 4: There was one of the sacks and I just wrote down my notes on it. It was a sack that be oddish, and I gave it to Piattish and Tyler Smith. And it was a strange play design to begin with because I believe they were trying to hit Lamb down the field, but he got triple covered.
Speaker 3: On the play.
Speaker 4: He runs right into corner safety. I mean, there's just a bunch of white jerseys where he is going to be and there's no chance on that play, and Ferguson kind of half blocks and then releases, and then Jonah Williams is on that he's the end of that side. He's like, he's not fooled. So now he comes running up up the field. And then Beyonddish and Tyler Smith, they can't handle Aaron Donald again. We talk about that and that's what he splits them to get the sack. But it was just one of those plays where from the from the it looked very San Francisco like game where it was like, Okay, we're trying to do something here, we're trying to be maybe a little cute, and we didn't fool anybody.
Speaker 3: On the play.
Speaker 4: They covered it. They rushed us their best player beat us for the sack. You know, that's sometimes that happens to you in a game.
Speaker 5: Aaron Donald going to Aaron Donald.
Speaker 8: Yeah, everybody knew that coming into this game, even Zach Martintow it coming into this game, and obviously those two have matched up several times over the course of their career. At the end of the day, Aaron Donald is going to Aaron Donald. You just have to make sure that no one else wrecks the game alongside him and the Cowboys offensive line they finally mounted up after that first series and they really did.
Speaker 5: Some good stuff.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're gonna take our final break. We'll come back. Let's talk about the defense. His defense put on another Yeah, we're gonna give them something. We gotta give them something.
Speaker 6: And we got to talk about particularly Michael Parsons and Deron Bland. Those two players have phenomenal days. We'll talk about that when we come Backdallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 16: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 5: Dallas.
Speaker 16: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus.
Speaker 7: Because every deal needs a playmaker.
Speaker 13: Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agg and Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 5: Back to the break.
Speaker 4: Head to at and T Stadium Saturday, November eleven to experience Rally Day presented by Seat Geeks celebrate Veterans Day with special presentations from the Color I.
Speaker 3: Wasn't quite sure.
Speaker 4: It's tell that with the special presentations from the Color Guard Junior ROTC Drill Team plus twenty one gun Salute, take your tour of AT and T Stadium, get autographs from Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and alumni, play games, head outside the Miller Lighthouse, and even play on the field. Visit at and T Stadium dot com Slash Rally Days for tickets and more information.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the final segment of the Break Life from SWBC Mortgage Studios. At the start, let's talk about this defense yesterday check this out. Deron Bland seven tackles. He led the team in tackles, had one interception, had one touchdown. He did have that pick six, and had two pass defenses.
Speaker 5: He is I think one.
Speaker 6: I think Nick said yesterday, he's one of twenty nine players in the history of the National Football League to have three pick sixes in one season. If he should happen to get a fourth, he will move to really rare air. I think it's only been four of those guys in the history of the NFL. He is having a great season. Michael Parsons, on the other hand, also had two tackles, one sack.
Speaker 4: Cat say said real quick about Bland. Sure it really all the things you just said about him. I think the best play he made was the tackle on Cooper.
Speaker 5: We're there, we go thirty and you can say, you can say.
Speaker 4: All all the things that he did in that football game, he saved you saved your points there. That was a four point tackle that he made right there, because Cooper Cup's gonna score.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's one.
Speaker 4: They got that thing blocked, and he somehow gets around the tackle Jackson. It's like he knife's low and Cup tries to get up the field and tackles him for a two yard game.
Speaker 3: He didn't make that play. It's a seven all game.
Speaker 7: And you know, but to me, that's the kind of thing when you start to talk.
Speaker 4: About coverage and carrying routes inside and interceptions and all that, that's to me what makes a corner rare his ability to have the awareness to tackle, to make big plays. You know, their job is to cover and do those things. But you get somebody that physically plays in the game like that, that that's that's a rare, rare player.
Speaker 8: Even better, i should say better still, is the fact that his motor doesn't turn down as the lead turns up.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys had a big lead, so that was a magnificent play.
Speaker 8: But he had another one the PBu on two to act well going across the I don't understand. I don't know if people understand the speed of two to act well and then him streaking. He wasn't anybody right there you go, and he wasn't dragging Bland across the field. Bland was hip to hip with him and able to make that play. And that's the kind of play that the Cowboys love to see when it comes to like mamba mentality. Yeah you're up big, but there's no taking plays off for these guys, particularly a guy like Bland, who, like you said, only the twenty ninth player in NFL history to have three pick six is only the first the first player in Cowboys franchise history to hit that designation. And there's still ten games left to play in this regular season for him to get Ford exactly. So seeing what he did and then quiet as it's kept Gilmore Jordan Lewis, here's what they were able to do against Pookinakua and Cooper Cup, two of the biggest threats coming into this game. Those two combined for fifty four receiving yards. The leading receiver for the Rams was the reel Henderson with fifty four.
Speaker 5: I mean the big pass.
Speaker 2: Of the screen yet yeah, right, exactly right, ready, press box.
Speaker 10: Not hearing those names, so we talked about getting into.
Speaker 3: The was the volume on in the press box? I didn't notice the guy talking very much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he kind of went off there at the accident.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well something happened.
Speaker 9: But either way, like you, you weren't hearing any of the big names from the Rams at all. So it was I think I heard Puka's name he had one time, and then I'm like, and that was it. Maybe I was in the restroom at that point. I don't know, but that's like I've only heard it once, and it's just it was very very impressive what they did. And another thing, speaking of blame real quick, it's still I know I've said this before, but it still blows my mind how someone like him.
Speaker 10: You see him walking out of the field. He's walking and he's such a nice guy.
Speaker 9: Such a babyface, kind of shy, kind of shy, very reserved and timid. Yet he's freaking killing it. A freaking dog on the field, So it's just it's great. I'm super super happy about him and what he's being.
Speaker 3: Able to do.
Speaker 6: So what's even more amazing is that the Cowboys got him where they got him in the draft. And I remember you guys on the draft they're saying, like, this guy's a player, and then the Cowboys to get him where they got him, I think everybody was mazed. And from the moment he showed up here, he's been good. He's been good that first camp he started flashing. He's been good from the beginning. So that's really one of those examples of just this scouting department and the advantage you have with the scouting department that they find those guys no matter where they are in the draft.
Speaker 8: And there's a reason that going to the locker room after the game, Dak Prescott ran up behind Lamban, was like, he's that guy.
Speaker 5: He's that guy.
Speaker 8: So when I asked Deak about it in Dak's postgame presser, he explained it wonderfully. Basically, when you're talking about a late round pick comes in and he's playing like he's a first round pick. He has a breakout season as a rookie as a nickel and that was stepping in for an injured Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 5: He's thrown into the fire. He leaves the team in interceptions.
Speaker 8: Then year two, team loses first team All Pro Trayvon Didigs, a franchise record center. Wow, what are they going to do, Darron bland We're going to move you outside? Questions from the fandom becomes, well, can he do outside what he did inside?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: How does three pick sixes work for you? Does that work for you?
Speaker 8: Okay, he's doing everything to a higher level, even though he was moved to a different position, so to speak, not even midway through the season, but as the season had already progressed, so Deron Blanding. That secondary absolutely put the Rams receivers on clamps. But here's what made that that much better, complimentary bar as far as secondary versus passwords. They didn't get a lot of sacks on Matthew Stafford, but the pressure was key because with these minimal separation rates less than three per player. We talked about Nicoua at Well and Cup neither of them had more than three yards of separation. So the pressure is in Stafford's face and he can't get the ball out quickly. To defeat it because nobody's getting open. Magnificent job by the Cowboys defense.
Speaker 6: You know, it's even more interesting. I'm sure Deron Bland is thinking back man and that that play against the Chargers he dropped where he dropped that, Yeah, he said, but I'm saying that one where it was clearly he had it was nothing but green in front of it. Elison, that would have been that fourth pick six, right, I mean, that would have been the third piece this week.
Speaker 3: He's also thinking about the double moves that Keenan Allen made.
Speaker 12: This.
Speaker 7: Yeah, true, but he's done a great He has done a really great job.
Speaker 2: But I think you look at him.
Speaker 6: And I was telling Nick even before that interception this last game, I said, you know, he gets another pick six, he's gonna push himself right into the Pro Bowl just like that. And then he gets to pick six, And those are kind of things that make a difference when people start voting for those those types of honors at the end of the season.
Speaker 8: I just harkened back to last season, Hello Kyle and Isaiah on talking Cowboys when I said that as far as career goes, I believe that when it's all said and done, that the Ron Bland will be equal or better than Sauce Gardner.
Speaker 5: That is not taking away from Sauce. I think Sauce is a rare hard opinion.
Speaker 8: It is, and I stood don't that He'll before all of this started to unveil itself, and now that He'll is looking real rosy right now, So again, well play this one out right.
Speaker 5: This is the long game. Playing this over the long game. This is career versus career.
Speaker 8: So I'd love to see what Deron is doing because it's proving the cowboys right, it's proving himself right, and.
Speaker 5: I like that it's proven me right too. That works.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what we can't do. We cannot end the show without talking about my man, Brandon Arv. This dude who's still looking at the break. Let what's going on?
Speaker 3: What y'all think of me?
Speaker 2: Yesterday?
Speaker 10: Motivation we did. We are a motivational show.
Speaker 6: Yesterday he ties the record for most consecutive field goals made to begin a career with eighteen. He went to a two fifty eight yard and a twenty seven yard And that's the thing. Like he's had some long kicks. It's not like they've just been buttering in with these these three thirty forty yard kicks like he's had some fifty plus kicks Right now. There are only four kickers in the NFL who one hundred percent, and of those, he is right now tied with Harrison Bucker for the most made kicks of any kicker that is one hundred percent. Both of them have eighteen made kicks uh this season, so he is right up there as far as the league is concerned with regards to the best kickers in the league.
Speaker 2: How do you assess Brandon?
Speaker 4: I can't believe you went after him Amber, Oh my god, he's I cut him, just cut him.
Speaker 3: I was just embarrassing.
Speaker 4: What you did? You know you took it personally because that ball almost hits you. They're in training camp a couple of times.
Speaker 9: I think cut exaggerating, Okay, I was, I was. I give him the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: You guys like I did. You are on the same boat.
Speaker 7: Press words in Spanish from me when they all flying your head.
Speaker 5: I told you I only had one percent confidence in the train.
Speaker 9: You know who you know who's happy Will McLay. He's happy to see the handshake done at.
Speaker 2: The game, him and him and him and Aubrey. Yeah, honestly they had a handshake too.
Speaker 10: I didn't know either.
Speaker 9: So this game I saw them walking out and I guess it's just two collapse and then they do a little kick with like a little foot case.
Speaker 3: Oh it's like kidd play.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, yeah, so that was that was cool to see.
Speaker 7: But no, definitely kid plays a big Cowboys fan.
Speaker 2: By the way, wait which one?
Speaker 5: Which one?
Speaker 2: The kid play?
Speaker 5: The kids kid with the hat top high top?
Speaker 2: Really yeah, I've seen him at training camp.
Speaker 3: He follows me on Twitter.
Speaker 5: I interact with a whole nice shut out the kid.
Speaker 2: I say, maybe we need to get him to come on the show.
Speaker 3: I think they did a thing with the the fifty year anniversary of house Party.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, oh yeah he was.
Speaker 3: I think he was performing at the Apollo.
Speaker 5: I think that was something that it was a house party on Sunday. I could tell you that. Brandon Aubrey, I mean, he's just that's.
Speaker 3: Hid and play right.
Speaker 6: Kid.
Speaker 5: Kid, he's kid, He's kid, He's kid.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Brandon Aubrey. Once he breaks my once he I'm not going to say it. Once he got that start, I'm staying with that sixty three percent. It was one in training camp, and then it was in week four, and now here we are.
Speaker 4: I would tell you this, pat himself on the back about Bland, but he's not willing to admit how wrong.
Speaker 8: You wille I was wrong about the guy in training camp, as we all were.
Speaker 5: I will tell you this, and then we go.
Speaker 6: I think we all are at the point now where at least when extra points come and short kicks un comfortable, he just kind of run the restroom.
Speaker 5: I'll be back.
Speaker 2: He should be good, right, but we don't worry about what's wonderful.
Speaker 7: No, he's still not there.
Speaker 9: No, because I'm there, I just feel like give it by statistically speaking, it's coming.
Speaker 5: I'm there.
Speaker 10: Happened at one point, so I just I still watch.
Speaker 2: It in the whole season.
Speaker 4: I wonder if there's Gerry Anderson Gary Anderson for the ninety eight Vikings.
Speaker 7: The only kick he missed was that one the game winner in the NFC Championship.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember that, which is why I said I hated to see that because he's been so good all season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I know he's perfect, thirty eight in the row, thirty six in the row and missed the last one.
Speaker 3: He kick.
Speaker 8: Ally kicking in the regular season, you can go grab a snack. I won't be going to grab a snack in the playoffs. Stoll, Well, no, because yeah, I need to. I need to put to your point, excellent point, Derek. These aren't chip shots. I mean, they're they're giving him that, they're an excellent that they're having him kicked from very right.
Speaker 5: So, like last Yester, no, why I did this.
Speaker 8: I man, every day it's the Bearskins feeling extra Moriah today. The fifty eight yarder, I mean, that's that's he strikes that and that's good.
Speaker 2: That was too, actually was too.
Speaker 3: I'm like, don't give him.
Speaker 2: I don't want to mess up his is mojo.
Speaker 3: I think it. Don't give don't give the rams the ball right there, That's what I was.
Speaker 8: And said, yeah, all right, butter baby, And that was good for from further than fifty eight If you look at the spacing from that ball, I mean that he absolutely nailed it. So, I mean he's just been magnificent, to say the least. Can't say enough good things about him. And yes, we were all wrong, and I'm glad us in there.
Speaker 10: Dude, you threw me, you single me out, and I think you.
Speaker 3: Were the instigator of the whole thing.
Speaker 10: Luckily we have it all on the tape.
Speaker 6: There is.
Speaker 8: One of those commercials, Challenge Flag, where you throw the challenge flag, run that back, run back, proving a lot of people wrong, with the exception of our good friend Haley Sutton, who was very much all in on him in training camp, saying give him a chance, and she works.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: So our producer Chris Bean got me some information. He says, Mike vander Jack became the first kicker in two thousand and three in league's history, to go an entire season, including the playoffs, without missing a field goal or point after attempt.
Speaker 2: Now, of course, and then he can't win.
Speaker 6: I mean, Brandon can't be better than that, because he's already had one master after touchdown kick that he's missed, but he certainly has He's still it is perfect right now with field goals. We'll see if he could finish this season off. It's at this point we don't even have that. I was talking to my wife about this. It seems weird. We aren't even at the halfway point. We got a few more games before we.
Speaker 5: Get to that.
Speaker 4: Get ready, it's about to be Thanksgiving. Yeah, I know read, I know you're gonna wake up and it's gonna be thanks.
Speaker 2: It's gonna fly.
Speaker 6: But it's just it's weird because you know, you got the high school season about to hit the playoffs, you got college with only a month left, and we're not even halfway through the NFL season.
Speaker 3: So I love it.
Speaker 2: Give me more football. I'm never gonna be upset about that.
Speaker 3: Speed Oklahoma, you might be in this playoff from college football.
Speaker 6: Brian Brian Doylt's not talk about it right now. It's just act like nothing's happening and just kind of let him just keep doing the thing. Hey, real quick before we end the show, I know we're over a little bit. I got to a quick shout Sam Williams. Yesterday, samone gets that punt block, gets the safety on that, but him running down as a gunner, Yeah, that was one of the most impressive things I've seen from a player in a long time. You rarely see a guy that big running down gonna We first saw it before the play began and we were like, oh wow, this this is interesting, and he basically just split those guys and was down the field you know it, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. He made the tackle.
Speaker 3: He got it.
Speaker 2: He got to tackle the guy rolled over him, and he stepped up and celebrated a little bit before the guy was down.
Speaker 6: Forts Okay, we'll figure that part out, but really you gotta give him a shout out.
Speaker 1: Ya.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 8: That harkens back to what we saw from him in training camp. There was a gunna drill where and it went viral. When he's running past his guy, he's pointing his finger of wagging like, no, you can't hang with me.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean he's got speed for that size.
Speaker 4: Give those Jane Thomas and Geordan's Armstrong credit for the pump block too, okay, because they the twist they occupied the personal protector and he just destroyed Hoyt and then was able to get the block. But a great job by uh those two guys thirty to ninety two to get that thing going all the way around.
Speaker 8: Final word for me, please stop committing penalties on Cavante Turpin returns.
Speaker 5: Just please.
Speaker 6: Is there anything more demoralizing and sporting then being a return guy that runs it all the way back and is ready to celebrate and around and see its yellow flag on the field like that is the worst.
Speaker 5: But also kudos to him for that sixty plus yard that was a big one as well.
Speaker 3: You should have three holdings on that, play.
Speaker 5: Boy, go back and watch it.
Speaker 4: Seriously, Committee, there were there were three holdings at the point of attack there.
Speaker 3: Officials that you play yesterday, think.
Speaker 2: They definitely did.
Speaker 3: They definitely played yesterday.
Speaker 2: All Right, we appreciate you guys.
Speaker 6: You back tomorrow, we'll do some big picture looks around the NFL and around the NFC East, and then we'll start getting you ready for Cowboys Eagles. Till then for Patrick Walker. Brian brought us Ambergarcia, I am Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.