Speaker 1: Hi guys, Welcome to another episode Illegally Brunette. I will be your host Emily Simpson with Shane and today we are doing a little special episode to keep you updated on the Nancy Guthrie situation, which is the eighty four year old mother of Savannah Guthrie who has been we believe, I don't know, I mean, we're not exactly sure, but abducted, kidnapped something, and a lot of information has come out, so we are giving you the information as we know it up to this moment.
Speaker 2: So and the latest is, well, the latest.
Speaker 1: Thing I heard right before we started recording was that there was another ransom type of note that went to TMZ. But your understanding is it's not that person doesn't have her. They claim to have information.
Speaker 2: They know who the person is, and they want and in exchange for one bitcoin they will release that information.
Speaker 1: And what is bitcoin at currently? Do you know how much this one this morning was sixty six thousand, sixty six I actually have.
Speaker 2: Asked for it about a month would have been one hundred and twenty thousand.
Speaker 1: Was it a month ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I need to look at my Yeah, I remember you were bragging about how like I don't even know what it is, but I made some money I did. Well, you're back down to zero. No, it's not zero. Well, I went back down to what you probably bought it probably so.
Speaker 1: The latest information is a person of interest was detained last night and released early this morning. In this case, so, the Pima County Sheriff's apartment said deputies detained a subject during a traffic stop south of Tucson, and this was last night. This morning, Carlos Palazuelos told Telemundo in Spanish that his home, where authorities conducted a search the previous evening, was entered under a warrant. He said both the front and back doors were damaged during the process. He said he was searched by investigators and briefly detained in questioned in connection with the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, but has since been released. Carlos said that investigators told him he resembled the individual captured in security footage from Guthrie's home, and that the FBI had recently made public. Did you see those photos and videos of the suspects photos?
Speaker 2: No, but just the one video I mean of the porch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, in our last episode where we talked about this. We talked about how someone had removed the the ring camera and you said because I said, well, obviously, then if someone removed it, there would be video footage of them walking up to it and removed it.
Speaker 2: But now we were saying she didn't have the subscription, right, so it wasn't preserved, right, But apparently it was put somewhere in some clouds somewhere and someone is able to tap into it and extract it.
Speaker 1: So even though she didn't have a subscription where it was being saved somewhere, it was still being saved somewhere, right.
Speaker 2: Like when you delete something on a computer, it's not really deleted. Yeah, it's just kind of set aside. It's deleted accessible.
Speaker 1: As far as when you look at your computer, you don't see it, right, But when you have someone tech savvy who's doing.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like you throw something away and it's out in the bin, but it's not really gone gone. It's just out in the side yard in the bin.
Speaker 1: So when you look at those when you watch it, when you look at the video surveillance, I mean it is creepy.
Speaker 2: He's covered head to toe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you can see the eyes and his gun. Yeah, and he.
Speaker 2: Has a backpack and his gun is oddly placed like in front, like right above his crotch, like if he wants it seen or something. And then didn't he grab flowers and like I cover it up with flowers that his hand, like some plants or something like he was trying to figure out, like can I can I stick these flowers on here and cover it?
Speaker 1: And then I don't know, I'm just gonna rip the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Probably, but it shows you, assuming he didn't stage this, it shows you that maybe he didn't plan that part.
Speaker 1: You mean, you're saying because it was so haphazard and he's trying to cover it with plants that he walked up, didn't realize there would be ring footage, and then thought.
Speaker 2: Now be someone that knows there's a reen camera there, like a family member, a vendor or someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point, just a thought. That's a good thought. So the FBI shared nest doorbell camera footage captured outside of Nancy Guthrie's home on the night she vanished. The video appears to show a masked individual carrying a weapon, and as you said, he's carrying it crotch height, yeah, and claim the person seemed to have tampered with the camera.
Speaker 2: Crotch height, waist height above the cross oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, above the crotch clear insight in plain sight. CNN correspondent and former FBI agent Josh Campbell said the video is helpful in the investigative process, highlighting techniques like pulling up foliage from the yard to cover the camera as an interesting tactic used alongside the full body clothing and mask. You know, that is interesting what you said, though, that's a good takeaway that maybe he had no idea, there was ranny. He just kind of panicked and didn't know what to do. So he's like grabbing foliage out of the yard and trying to cover it and stick it on there, and it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Stay supervising right.
Speaker 1: This major development was made possible in part by technical assistance from Google, according to a source familiar with the case, Because Google owns Nest, the company helped to retrieve information from the Nest doorbell camera at Guthrie's home. The data recovery reportedly took several days and involved a highly complex process, and investigators were initially unsure whether it would work. Google has not issued a public response.
Speaker 2: Is this is Google saying, see you all need to subscribe her nest camera is look what it provided and it.
Speaker 1: Was very difficult for us without a subscription.
Speaker 2: We will not be doing this again.
Speaker 1: Subscribe, So subscribe, push subscribe here with Luke always say subscribe.
Speaker 2: Believe that subscribe.
Speaker 1: But right shortly after the footage was made public, Savannah Guthrie shared a renewed statement from the family, stating, we believe she is still alive. Let me, do you think that she's still alive at this point eleven days later? You don't know?
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope I'm wrong. But they kept saying like she needs her meds, she's not going to survive. I've seen picture her. She looked really frail. I mean, she's older obviously, and there was some blood. And how long has it been. I mean, if they're I mean, do you think they're really going to be providing for her and caring for her as she needs to be in her age and physical unfitness.
Speaker 1: I don't know. No, I don't know. But let's go back to the guy they detained last night. They said that that he was detained because he resembled the guy in the footage. But how does anyone resemble the guy in the footage?
Speaker 2: You have two eyes in a mouth, yeah, just like that man.
Speaker 1: In the footage, right, I mean, there's there's no way to resemble anything. The guy's covered from head to toe. I did here. I did see when I was, you know, scrolling my main news sources Instagram, that he might have owned or maybe possibly owned a white van which had been seen earlier in that neighborhood. There was an unmarked white van that was seen. I been van like a white weird kidnapping van scene in Nancy Guthrie's neighborhood, and a neighborhood reported it. I believe it was a week or two.
Speaker 2: Before, so that's another before she was abducted.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it had any markings. I don't even think I believe that maybe it didn't even have a license plate. So it was very suspicious.
Speaker 2: Working to ten days and she needs medication, and she's frail, and there's blood and there's just random kind of sporadic ransom notes with very you know, a little. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's unlikely law enforcement has searched Annie Guthrie's home again and Annie Guthrie we know is a sibling a daughter, so Sheriff's deputies are continuing their search efforts in Annie Guthrie's neighborhood, going door to door and asking residents for permission to check their properties. Personnel from multiple agencies are onseen, including individuals wearing FBI shirts as well as Sheriff's Department vests and caps. Several officials have been observed moving through the area, some carrying notepads. At Pima County Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue vehicle has also been spotted near the home. Authorities were present at Annie Guthrie's residence over the weekend. Although the home appeared dark with window coverings closed in our minute, bright flashes, possibly from investigative photography, were reportedly visible inside. Nancy Guthrie has had been visiting Annie's home for dinner the evening before she was reported missing. So that was the sibling that the mother was out to dinner with. Yeah, and then allegedly was dropped off at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know what's weird. I think I mentioned this before, how she took an uber to dinner, But then what's dropped off? I'm not saying the family did anything, but that is that is like why one way not the other? Even on they said uber, I thought, wow, that's like, why wouldn't you go pick up your mother and bring her over for dinner?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we know your parents are elderly and they have trouble with uber and I know you.
Speaker 2: Even then, I wouldn't say them an uber if they're not far away, because that seems more steps to take for them to get over here then for me to just go pick them up.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe she was somewhere else, and then I don't, I don't and then took an uber to well there are reasons.
Speaker 2: There are reasons for it to happen. I'm just saying it's noteworthy, okay.
Speaker 1: But my question is if there is the ring doorbell on the porch and they could find footage of this the guy with the foliage and you know, the alleged abductor or whoever he is, do they have footage of her coming home? Would she enter through the front or that's right, she went through the garage, because there's the.
Speaker 2: And you're not seeing anything other than that porch from that camera, But there was blood on the front porch, like on the gravel, I think or something.
Speaker 1: So where is the footage of how the blood got there?
Speaker 2: He took the camera once he ripped it off, it was not recording.
Speaker 1: So he completely removed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the video you see is before he ripped it off the wall.
Speaker 1: Right, So one of the ransom notes deadlines has already passed, asted as the reported Monday deadline approach for Nancy Guthrie's family to pay. A ransom specialist said authorities still appear to be assessing whether the demands are actually coming from the real kidnappers. Two unconfirmed messages sent to news organizations claimed responsibility for abducting the eighty four year old from her Arizona home and set a five pm cut off for a bitcoin payment. While law enforcement has said the communications are being treated seriously, officials have not verified that they are legitimate.
Speaker 2: You know, it almost seems like it's one reason to think it's not legitimate, is don't they keep pushing the goalpost further? Like okay, now this is the deadline. Okay, now this is the deadline.
Speaker 1: Well, there's also multiple notes, which makes it difficult to ascertain is one of them legitimate and another isn't are they copycat ransom notes? Are they just weirdos out there that some I'll know a lot about what's going on?
Speaker 2: And why are they?
Speaker 1: Why are ransom notes? Is TMZ now the new ransom note receiver of information? Like tmzs just going there?
Speaker 2: Are they are a source? And everyone knows them? Right? I mean you know how to contact TMZ is go on the app or email, But like your local news affiliate, I mean you're going to research who to send it to and hope it gets received. So I think TMZ is just a very obvious, like catchy kind of media outlet that you can reach out to easily, you know. I see it to get disseminated.
Speaker 1: When I'm on Instagram on my main news source, I see a lot of I see a lot of people because everybody's talking about this case. I mean everybody's talking about it, and a lot of people do the body language, you know, where they read the body language of like Samantha Guglary and her siblings when they've made the videos, and they analyze that and whether it's legitimate and whether you know what their body language says and what their voice says and everything. I just I don't know to me, it looks like grieving siblings that don't Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why are we trying to interpret them?
Speaker 1: Because everybody always looks at the family first. I mean everyone. I mean we know the the son in law has been under speculation. There's been alleged rumors out there that he had something to do with it, and you know they're searching the sisters home, and you know they always look at family first. Yeah, So all right, Savanthah Guthrie's speech. A lot of people have said this that her speech mirrored the Silence of the Lambs quote, and I thought this was interesting because.
Speaker 2: No, no, a little background, sis Lamb. Yes, this is a horror movie about a murderer, an abductor and murderer, and then one of the there's a victim in the movie that's abducted, a young girl and then of a political figure like a local congresswoman or something, and so she goes on the media and pleas for her daughter's return.
Speaker 1: Right, okay there, And I have to tell you, this is a nineties movie. My sister loves Silence of the Lambs, which is odd. Maybe I don't know, but she loves Silence of the Lambs. We had it on VHS tape and she played it all the time. So I have seen Silence of the lamp I couldn't even tell you how many times I've seen Silence of the Lambs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't put it together that their plea for their mother was the same as Silence of the Lambs.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't recognize this speech. But when when I saw this side by side, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh, that's it, just a side by side show.
Speaker 1: So on February fourth, Savannah Guthrie appeared and a recorded appeal alongside her siblings Annie and Cameron, addressing the individuals believed to have taken their mother. In the video, Savannah made an emotional plea aimed at appealing to the captor's compassion. She says, Nancy is full of kindness and knowledge. Talk to her and you'll see, and her voice was shaking. However, some viewers observed that Savannah's wording echoed a moment from the nineteen ninety one film The Silence of the Lambs and which as senator publicly pleads for her kidnapped daughter. In that scene, Senator Ruth Martin tells the cameras Catherine is very gentle and kind talk to her and you'll see using similar language to humanize her child. Well, first of all, when I saw people doing the side by side and then saying it was weird or it's like something out of a movie, or there's something suspicious or nefarious about this, my takeaway was, there's nothing nefarious about it. It's because Silence of the Lambs was accurate and actually had probably an FBI consultant who they used, who gave them the proper language that you use when you are appealing to someone who has been kidnapped or abducted, because I would assume that the f has done their research in due diligence and psychological testing to know what type of language to use in a situation like that.
Speaker 2: You don't want to offend the person. You don't want to make them escalate things or.
Speaker 1: Want to anger them. You also want to humanize the person that they've abducted.
Speaker 2: Talk to her and you'll see give her.
Speaker 1: A name, so she says Nancy, just like in the movie she says Catherine. So to me, it wasn't nefarious or weird. I thought, well, in the movie, they were accurate. They consulted an FBI agent Because Sterling Starling or Sterling Starling was an FBI agent, so you know they're going to use the correct language when they're appealing to a kidnapper. And so obviously that hasn't changed since nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: It's still the same need to update the playbook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess it doesn't need updated. It's still the same psychological appeal, the same language in order to humanize the person. So also, I just wanted to ask your opinion. I love a good conspiracy theory, and I see a lot online about how possibly this doesn't have anything to do with just an abduction that has to do with money or bitcoin, but it has to do with maybe Savannah Guthrie interviewing Epstein victims, and then maybe it has something to do with that.
Speaker 2: I don't think so you don't think so that's a stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's just your takeaway.
Speaker 2: You don't think so, that's my opinion. Yeah, I don't think so. That's a stretch. Also, I don't think you should think so, do you think? So?
Speaker 1: You know what, I'll tell you. I find myself sometimes going down a rabbit hole on this. At all the Epstein files that have been released and it becomes so just.
Speaker 2: I just don't think it is. I mean, I'm not downplaying any of the Epstein stuff, but I don't think it has to do with us. That's too far fetched. But I mean, because then why would they give the so now what they return the mother, get the money, and then how does that change anything of this supposed theory that it has to do with Epstein files.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm just saying maybe she was targeted because she.
Speaker 2: Said I don't interview the victims, or they would have kidnapped her and killed her, or I mean, it doesn't make any sense that it's like I have your mother and I'm going to return her for money and hopefully that'll get you to stop talking about the Epstein file. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. All right, that was just a theory.
Speaker 2: I just want a theory. You just want some I said, I love.
Speaker 1: A good conspiracy theory. I don't know. Maybe there's a connection.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe there's not. I think more likely, although not likely, but more likely than this supposed theory is whoever dropped her off like the sunloss, And maybe there's something there, But then why would why would she go inside the house then be hit or hurt or injured and then taking out the front door. I don't know, I don't know. Maybe okay, how about oh no, we think she was abducted at two in the morning, right when the pacemaker stopped connecting to her phone or watch okay, because I was thinking maybe she got dropped off and there was some connection where they knew the abductors, like the son in law dropped her off and then kind of coordinated. But too many hours had passed to really keep it like it.
Speaker 1: Was joint venture eleven days and we hope that there's a happy ending to this and we will continue to follow it. So thank you for listening. As always, you can find legally Brunette wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: Send Emily any of your conspiracy theories and she'll entertain them.
Speaker 1: Oh please, stories, I love to hear it. Tell me what you think, and thank you for listening to Legally Brunette. You can find us anywhere you listen to podcasts. Make sure that you follow us and leave a review.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, Thank you