Speaker 1: I am all in. Let's just you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I I'm all in podcast. iHeartRadio, iHeart media, iHeart podcast. We are going to break down the Netflix episode Gilmour episode Spring. I am enjoying a yeah, but they call them episodes, you know. And I'm joined by Amy Sigriman, and we are a skeleton crew today. But we've got the beating heart of the podcast right here, left ventricle, right ventricle with the heart of it.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna be here any second, so nobody.
Speaker 1: People will show up on the fly anyway, Amy and I are going to take you through.
Speaker 3: I'm not supposed to be eating, but yet I'm shoving something in my mouth. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have a little drink. I mean, it's water. It's water.
Speaker 3: I was going to say he made it sound like it was a cocktail. It just but it's a beautiful glass in a nice beautiful gloves.
Speaker 1: And guess what's in here? Liquid IV is in here.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it has a small queue to that water that made it not look it looked a.
Speaker 1: Little funky drinking and drinking gin liquid.
Speaker 3: IV just to keep you healthier. Are you not feeling good?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? I drink it every day?
Speaker 3: What does it do for you?
Speaker 1: The liquid IV?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What does it do?
Speaker 1: It's like it hydrates you. It's an extra hydration after it works.
Speaker 3: It's water in your water.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's powder in your water.
Speaker 3: It's fully more wetness in your water.
Speaker 1: It expands the water molecule inside your cells or something. Doctor.
Speaker 3: So it's spring.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I'm just gonna say this, Okay. I think Luke issued the ultimate warning about, you know, about the show. Unintentionally he said, stop growing. You don't need to grow, okay in this episode when they were talking about diner in the franchise and holding yeah yeah really, I think that is a metaphor for, uh, the ambitions this, these very lofty ambitions of this particular film spring because it's Gilmore Girls is a small town show, and it seems to resist this sort of expansion on a global nature. Rory's in London and then she's over here in a big fancy meeting, and then she's over here and she's flying her all around and you know, and then we're at chilten in Paris is donating one hundred. I The question that popped into my head is how many people discovered this show via the Netflix episodes or films and then went and watched the series and how they felt, Because if I had just discovered Gilmore Girls via Netflix episodes, I would have thought, Wow, these are pretty good and this is interesting.
Speaker 3: If anybody watched the films that did not watch the show, as the producer says she did, wait, Jackie, Jackie, get in here.
Speaker 1: I think there's a percentage of people that discovered it via twenty sixteen episodes.
Speaker 3: You watched the movies, I sure did, so I will answer Scott's question.
Speaker 1: So tell to take us through it. So you discovered on Netflix and you watched them. What was your reaction when you saw them.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed the movies because the way that they format it in like getting to know these characters and all of that, like taking you back to like I didn't get.
Speaker 5: All the nuances, but like I was well informed.
Speaker 4: Of these characters watching it, you know, like I got that Luke in that scene.
Speaker 5: I got that Luke was like I don't want anything to change.
Speaker 4: Okay, He's kind of like wants to be stuck, not stuck in his ways, but like he you know, likes things to be the same in a small town.
Speaker 5: So I enjoyed all of these all.
Speaker 1: Right, Now, when did you go back and watch the series after that?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 1: And what did you think of the series? Did you what? Did the series blow you away? Or did you think, oh, it's not as good as the episodes?
Speaker 4: So the series I enjoyed. So it was all I'm all out of sorts. So I have watched seasons three through seven, but I when I came on to far Okay, this is so bizarre. When I came on to help produce, I started season three with you.
Speaker 5: Guys, and then I already seen the movies and I've already seen it. I know, I'm all out of sorts. And then when I went on atterneyle we we stopped.
Speaker 4: I think we were at like season five, and then I kept going and then I rewatched the movies again and then I got all the nuances and it was better a second time around.
Speaker 5: Wow, I know'd you. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I apologized because that never occurred to me, and we have proof right here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you are right.
Speaker 3: I guess that happened.
Speaker 4: I was a little jarred with like how quick the dialogue was because I wasn't used to that because I never watched the theories.
Speaker 5: But then I still enjoyed it because I'm from a small town, so I related to it. So I still enjoyed the small town is and the feel of it.
Speaker 3: And everybody, when Logan shows up, would you be like, who's that guy?
Speaker 5: Exactly? I didn't know, like when.
Speaker 3: Jess, I don't want to have any spoilers, but like when of these people come back, you're probably like, who's that?
Speaker 5: I like Milo because I was watching this as all right.
Speaker 1: So we so we experienced as a cast this incredible expansion of the fan base on a global basis that we didn't notice until we were doing pr for these Netflix episodes in twenty and sixteen, after we you know, when they were ramping up the pr and then in the ensuing years twenty seventeen, eighteen on to the present, the audiences are getting younger. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and they are more legions of fans, the more dedicated, they're as dedicated. So I would love to see some numbers on how many fans there were globally before the Netflix episodes happened, or before anything even hit Netflix, because I know the series. You know, Netflix made a deal to have the series downloadable for the past what eight years or so, so I think that has really spiked the numbers globally. And then this it was just an explosion of fandom. Way It's like the fandoms just grew and grew and grow and grew since two thousands.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting to have a show that has grown right so much, right twenty years after it premiered. It's like Friends, there's five right, there's a handful of these Friends, a few of them that just keep finding an audience, keep finding an audience. But this is you know, it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: If we did if Warner Brothers announced that we were doing a reboot of the series and were they ordered twenty two episodes and the old gang was getting back together and we were going to shoot at Warner Brothers and you know, do it again, I bet you that audience would be massive, massive domestic art. I bet you the United States audience would exceed you know, fifteen million.
Speaker 3: Actually totally agree with you.
Speaker 1: In a completely fractured market. I mean, it would be the hit of hits because it's.
Speaker 3: How I feel about Sex and the City. And I know people have like their opinions about the reboot, but like, I'm so happy to have it because it's so this is so makes me sound crazy, but it gives me comfort to know that these people I love are around.
Speaker 1: Right, and they're still around exactly. You know what. Maybe they're not all in the right situations all the time, and they're not saying the right things are acting like themselves, but they look like them. But it's enough. At least they're there.
Speaker 3: It's more than enough. Like it's really great.
Speaker 1: I think the fans feel and felt the love at the time, even if they were like, ugh, I don't like this, this is what I think they still there's a part of them that, man, I'm so glad that they did this for sure.
Speaker 3: And watching the movies again, they are so much better now. Interestingly, I don't think Spring is as good as Winter, but a lot of people disagree with me that Winter's the worst one. But I still totally enjoyed it. Like I had a great time watching it. It was not work or homework. It was just like, oh, I'm so lucky to get to watch this again, and I do have to say I'm really glad that Matt zukries in this episode. Also, it's like Logan is important to this in my opinion. I don't know. Should we go through it? Danielle. I know you're not gonna like to hear this, but you're in charge today of taking us through it.
Speaker 2: No, on the eleventh of never, Absolutely, Danielle.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're coming.
Speaker 2: We'll take you through the synopsis any day of the week.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Danielle, you go.
Speaker 2: If you gave me a heads up, I will do I can do the next one.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, So what I'm doing it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're doing that.
Speaker 3: I mean me and my bottle size for you. Okay. Well, I gotta get my notes up, but all.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll synopsize while you get your notes up. All right, guys. So this is a year in the Live Episode two spring air date November twenty fifth, twenty sixteen. Synopsis. Rory's secret London affair continue news and her career doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Luke gets a surprise offer from Richard's will, while Lorelei and Emily continue their therapy. Michelle is having a work crisis and Paris has a meltdown in the Chilton bathroom.
Speaker 3: So okay, so let's call out the flag right away, right, uh, Tristan. Tristan like, why do we need to have? Like that was just dumb, Like why do I need to It was not Chad?
Speaker 1: Obviously, No, it wasn't Chad.
Speaker 3: It was just so dumb.
Speaker 1: And I remember that bathroom scene with Paris being I don't know, it was just rant. It really proves that these you know, it seems like Rory was in a lot of this episode with all of these supporting characters and well especially Paris, but.
Speaker 3: It didn't have quite an enough. I did enjoy the.
Speaker 1: Therapy, we can I did not. I did not great.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll talk, I love I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Let's let's get chronological. I mean, we'd started out with therapy, and I thought it was boring because it's like, I don't want to watch these women analyze why they don't like each other. I just I just want to see them going nuts on each other.
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't like about the therapy is the therapist. The therapist wants absolutely nothing to do with helping us. She was out and I'm like I wish the therapists would. I would I would like it more if she had, if she was trying to force them to talk, you know, like instead of being like, oh, look is up.
Speaker 3: So in this particular scene, this is the first one where they're just saying nothing basically, and then they kind of the thing that made me giggle was the Atlantis Morrisset line, because I'm pretty sure that's in this part where she goes, it's it ironic and Emily goes, do you have any idea what she's talking about? And the therapist kind of goes, yeah, yeah, I do. And so I thought the therapist was pretty good at the innuendo, and I thought the.
Speaker 1: Banter was good, the dialogue was good. There was a couple of chuckles here in the first therapy scene because they kept going they went back three or four times. Yeah, but I just thought this is a show that moves it's it's it's it was too static and frozen point sitting in that it's a show that moves forward, it moves us forward, and here we are frozen and talking about the past, and we've already dealt with all of these issues in the show, and to have it come to this kind of a you know, a loggerheads sitting in the therapist's office. I just don't know that that worked for this show. I think it works on other shows, and I know it was a trend at the time. You much, but over analyzing Gilmore Girls is not a fun experience.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you say this, okay, because this is sort of if I don't want to give a spoiler, but to me, now that Laura's going to therapy on her own, it's leading us to something that happens in the in the next episodes. Well, is the thing I don't like about the movies the most. I won't talk about it yet, but there's something coming that I'm like, this is just so dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's only thing one thing worse than introducing uh, this therapy element to it.
Speaker 3: Flex Kingston.
Speaker 1: No, she was the best thing in it, Actually.
Speaker 3: I did. I find that whole thing to be so I.
Speaker 1: Know, but the storyline she's a great actress, and she was entertaining and she created a really memory of fun character.
Speaker 3: Oh but did she I find that whole storyline to be so grading And well.
Speaker 1: I like to watch the acting and she's yeah, yeah, she's fantastic. I just thought that this therapy thing was you know, it opened up a portal into this world where now Laurel is going to sit in therapy and sort of destroy her relationship with Luke. And it was just it's true, I don't want to know. Don't tell me. I don't want to know. I don't want to know. I cans and no, I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, I'm going tell you.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's a trojan horse going into this destruction of the show almost and I thought, this is serious. This is a serious shift in tone. It's a serious shift and intention. It's a very serious shift for the sake of Laurel I eventually exploring her freedom and her independence, and this is not what she wants. And I thought, this is it's it's a downer to watch something like this, to deconstruct all of this. You know, the hopes and dreams of a fan base is basically what it is. It's an assault on the fan base.
Speaker 3: I think you bring up in an excellent point with that, and you sort of.
Speaker 1: Alluded to why. I don't know why they would do it.
Speaker 3: You look to it earlier in that It's like, did we really need everything to be in London, Like why don't we just keep stars Hollow and maybe New York because it's so close, Like it is weird when we're not in stars Hollow, which brings me to this next scene that I do enjoy because it's the Spring Festival, so we're really getting kind of very Gilmoury. Right, they got all the foods and some people didn't show.
Speaker 1: Up, and I actually thought that that was like an attempt at Gilmoury. It was fair, it was reasonable. It was a reasonable facsimile thereof of a Gilmore festival in the town center to the gazebe I mean, everybody, it's right, and it just didn't. It wasn't clicking the way it's.
Speaker 3: A little you're You're totally right. It's like we're doing it, which I was happy about. Okay, this is Gilmore. We're seeing our friends. We see accent Elaine, we see missus Kim, we see mister Kiss. Was very exciting. We'll talk about that. But you're right in the sense that, like I thought that was.
Speaker 1: Odd, that mister Kim thing was odd and weird.
Speaker 3: Only because she just wanted to like Amy and Dan wanted to make dress that because it was such a and.
Speaker 1: Then we get we got a really angry Kirk. Have you ever seen Kirk so angry and unappealing? I mean it just seemed crazy. It's like, what is a little off?
Speaker 3: That's the thing, and you you're right in that, like the festival's a little off. It's like my same hashtag trying too hard now it's sort of hashtag trying.
Speaker 1: And then there's like this big hug with Lorelei and Jackson. When have they ever hugged?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: And also they see each other all the time because.
Speaker 1: I see each other at the time. Now there's this big hug and it's like it was just like, what what is this? Is this the you guys? This? Uh?
Speaker 2: With Rachel Ray? But I'll get there.
Speaker 3: Lead well, Rachel Ray was first of all, don't even get me started on the sandy because there's nothing I hate more than when people call sandwich is sammy. But anyway, we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: We'll get there. We'll get there.
Speaker 3: That just makes me like I just can't. I'm like, please please don't call it that, like it's so bad, Like, don't so I almost think like they're making fun of Rachel Ray for calling it a sammy but she doesn't know, and then oh god, I don't even want.
Speaker 2: It, but we'll get there.
Speaker 3: The problem for me too was there was that weird and I won't get into it, but there was a weird viral video of Rachel Ray going around right now. So when I watched it, all I could think of was that, and I'm like, oh God, like.
Speaker 1: Was was she an actress before she did her talk She's.
Speaker 3: Just like a talk show host.
Speaker 1: That's why it's so like she's just her personality.
Speaker 3: It's just hashtag trying too hard in that their throat because they don't have Suki right. They're trying to overcompensate with Roychroy and Rachel Ray, which I get was a good idea, but they're such bad actors, Like Rachel Ray's an aprociously bad actor in that like a little sammy, and then she's like talking to her, she doesn't even say suki right, like it was just anyway, anyway, we're not there yet.
Speaker 2: It makes us miss the character more that they're not there. I agree, it's like, okay, Sukie, he's not there. Mosta McCarthy's not there. This is slopping it across my face that she's not there right.
Speaker 1: And you also you only get into the kitchen by having to stand in front of a screaming maniac spitting Michelle ranting for ten minutes for no real hinged. It was like for me.
Speaker 3: Because he has B level celebrities that is in like who they're doing.
Speaker 1: And then and the actors were actually doing like workouts in the dining room. I've never seen anything so preposterous in my life. Like there was a guy on a balance ball doing working on as abs and it's like right next to the table. I said, where have you? In? What world would this happen?
Speaker 3: Totally you know?
Speaker 1: And then and then there was a guy it was like.
Speaker 3: And there's a guy's cruising with a skateboard. I'm like, what's happening?
Speaker 1: But they went there a couple of times in the in a film by In another film by Kirk, you had but Betting Morey cooking the hot dogs on a grill that.
Speaker 3: I actually enjoyed that that part. I gonna agree with you on the inn and a bunch of things. The movie theater scene, I totally was like Indo because it's so funny when He's like, please don't bring food in from outside. We're going out of order. Because they say that at every movie while I pull out my Chipotle, Do.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like literally everyone does that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think they ruined that movie. I think they really ruined that movie theater scene by making that phone ring so damn much, because all I can think about it is like, shut the phone up, and it's and it's like Luke's phone, dude. It's like it's like Luke, who's the preaching the gospel of self, don't know cell phones?
Speaker 3: Because it was Emily and it was almost like hot potato, Like you didn't want to that scene. I'm going to give that scene.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to hear a ringing phone that much. In the scene, I can't.
Speaker 3: Right, We're away unhinged, We're totally.
Speaker 1: Man throwing all kinds of bombs at this. Yeah.
Speaker 3: People don't like this one. I think I liked it more than most. In the festival scene, it was weird because obviously she sees Jackson and we're trying to overcome and sate that Sukie's not there, but we want to get Jackson in. I was happy to see Jackson. Then we sort of have the wink wink because she buys the basket. She bids on the basket.
Speaker 1: How about the basket joke? And then we see Cassie at the end of the scene sitting in a picnic blanket with LORELEI. Who the heck is Cassie?
Speaker 3: First of all, A we've never seen her before.
Speaker 1: I had to suffer through the Cassie's basket joke. Oh dirty, I know you know, and it's like what it was? I'm sorry, I'm gonna take a pill.
Speaker 2: You guys, I have a confession. Can I tell you what?
Speaker 1: You didn't watch?
Speaker 2: No, I watch it. It took me three nights to watch this.
Speaker 1: I kept I stopped taking notes at twenty seven minutes. I was just like, all I'm going to be doing writing, I have to stop.
Speaker 2: And right, I've never gone to sleep in a Gilmore Girl's episode. I fell asleep three guys.
Speaker 1: I drifted a couple of times.
Speaker 3: I kind of enjoyed it. I kind of enjoyed it. Yeah, that's good. We need one of us to one of us liked it enough. I uh Sandy, So Sandy says also kind of calls during the festival, which I will point out that actress is from Bunheads, Stay tuned, stay tuned Bunheads fans. So she's from Bunheads, but she's gone on to do she was onto what is her name? Somebody needs to tell me what her name is?
Speaker 1: Foster, Oh that's not.
Speaker 2: Julia Gouldani tell us, Yes, so she also was from Bunhead.
Speaker 3: So obviously Amy Sherman Palladino likes being with her, and she went on to be in Somebody Keep Me Honest The Affair, which she was excellent in that show. Yes, so she was on that Showtime show, The Affair, and so she and she was really good. So I like her. I just don't like the character of Sandy. I also find it completely insane. Rory and I are in lockstep on this that she's pursuing Rory and then suddenly like it's like she wasn't. It was just that was so weird and dumb. All right, So we leave stars Hollow from the festival and we head to London where we see Naomi and Scott. You're liking it, and I'm like this.
Speaker 1: Well, it's finally listen. It's the difference between TV acting and stage acting, and you know, there's different levels of acting, and it seems like, you know, to put somebody like Alexis versus Alex Kinston, you know, put those two in a scene together, you're gonna see totally different techniques. And Alex Kingston is bringing a theater technique and she's bringing you know, she's created a character from scratch and and and it's just this sort of amazing comedic performance, completely connected and and and you know, Alexis doesn't have that kind of experience on stage, right, she doesn't have that training. She's very natural, she's very appealing. She's really good with light comedy, very breezy, very easy. You know, she's she's got a lot of really really great attributes that you'd want an actress to have, But put up against somebody with the resume of an Alex Kingston, your eyes just go right to Alex Kingston. And I just thought, you know, I'm I could I could watch this forever. I can watch a master craftsman crafting for a long time.
Speaker 5: And that.
Speaker 1: No, I I loved her. I loved her that character.
Speaker 3: Now I did misspeak because first before her, we have the lunch scene with so we we open up on Logan and Rory, which I was happy about. And they're in this nice restaurant eating and be bop. Hello, here comes mitchm So this is where we get the Mitcham reveal. He's in the same restaurant, and Rory's kind of shook because she realizes, like, hey, does Mitcham know something's going on with us?
Speaker 1: You know, here's another example of a real Bravora talent coming on screen and lighting up the screen the way Alex Kingston. Here's comes Greg Henry and it's like boom, there's this big energy and there's this character and he's bold and and then these two, you know, it's it seemed like Alexis and Matt were or I'm sorry, Rory and Logan were depres They seem like depressed people almost where they don't have a lot of energy and they're just sort of like getting through their day. And I mean, there's nothing there's nothing wrong with that, but but but it's like compared to the energy of a Greg Henry and you know, Mitcham huntsburger and an Alex Kingston's name.
Speaker 3: You're not wrong, Greg Henry s right. Mitcham rolls in and it's like woo, and we're all kind of like the big reveal and Mitcham and like for core fans, they're like, aha, another surprise character.
Speaker 1: And nobody's and and and you know, and and Rory and Logan are not being terribly expressive with each other.
Speaker 3: And they're not You're right that they don't seem happy, and we unfortunately get the reveal that he's engaged to Odette or whatever name was, and that was.
Speaker 2: Where you like, what, Yeah, for sure, I'm like, there's so much bird to this. I can't even handle it so bad. I'm starting to realize white people don't like Logan and I hate to say that that's so heartbreaking for me.
Speaker 3: It's also Rory.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, I don't like Rory since season one. I hate to break it to everybody.
Speaker 3: Logan, okay, so let's let's rip off the band aid. Logan is blatantly cheating on his fiance now maybe they have.
Speaker 2: Something, and cheating on her boyfriend, right, but what I know she shuts herself up for such like why are you doing this?
Speaker 3: Why don't you just say to Logan Paul of the engagement, let's be together, Like obviously these two love each other. We know that they're totally drawn to each other. They are kind of endgame, and why are we even dealing with this? And it's so weird. Why is he engaged to someone else and not her when he clearly wants to be with her? And why is she even with the guy she didn't even know his name. It's just it's super.
Speaker 2: Dumb, very dumb, very very dumb. And also it's like her being so self conscious that Mitcham saw them, Like, I get it, but then I'm also like, you're making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's just weird, you're so self conscious about it and worried. Why are you doing it?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: Like, and if do you really care what Mitcham thinks? We've been through that for ten years, and why are you doing this? Why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: Also, it doesn't work structurally as a film because I already know what it's supposed to be about, but it really doesn't stay on that spine right. The storytelling seems to be all over the place because it establishes this movie. This episode, this ninety minutes is about a mother daughter passing it out in the therapist's office and where this is going to lead, and it's like uh oh, and then we now we're all over the place.
Speaker 3: It's so funny you say that it's.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven minutes. I stopped taking notes.
Speaker 3: I watched this a couple of days ago, like two days.
Speaker 1: My hand's tired.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and I watched this two days ago. And when I got I got I started to come sit down here, and I'm like, what happened in spring Like it's kind of a gooblelygook mess Like.
Speaker 1: Well, everything happened, and nothing happened. Therefore nothing happened. So many things happened that you don't know. You can't remember one thing that happened.
Speaker 3: Therapy, We've got logan, We've got we've.
Speaker 1: Lost your appetite, Like, you know, you don't feel that good and you're kind of sleepy.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know, Messie, it's super messy. It's messy, all right.
Speaker 2: So we thought this episode literally, and I kind of said this earlier, it literally made me miss everything about Goma Girls. So I don't know if it was intentional, like the fact that Suki wasn't there, the fact that Tristan was not real Tristan I was.
Speaker 3: That was bad bananas. I was totally bananas.
Speaker 2: Do you here yet? Like you know, I'm like, guys, where are all the things that I love about Gilmore girls? It's missing from this episode?
Speaker 3: And why have a fake Tristan? Just don't have Tristan at all? Why have I don't have as much issue with just a surprise.
Speaker 1: There's like a quick cut to an old Korean guys.
Speaker 3: Like they just wanted to say he exists because because people had wondered is there a mister Kim? So I think that was their way of going, like, here's an easter egg, here's mister Kim, but the fake Chad, like we don't need that, like we didn't.
Speaker 2: And also, not only would Tristan come back, but a whole storyline about Tristan who's not really there, who.
Speaker 3: Got kicked out of school, right he's not going to go back to children, I know her alumni day and giving money and the whole thing, like that's the last thing.
Speaker 1: That looked like he had a head twice the side of Chat, twice the size of Chat.
Speaker 2: I think his hair was brown like.
Speaker 3: And was it weird that we didn't get who'sy and doozy? But we did get what's her face? Give me the names he didn't get, you know, Whosy and Doozy, you know, the two best friends from Chilton that I.
Speaker 2: Love, Madeline and Franz and Louise.
Speaker 3: No, it was we got Francy.
Speaker 2: Madeline and Louise. You're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, I'm not alone with people. The names are hard guys. So that was weird, but we're not there yet.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Now we go back to the town meeting and Taylor really wants the gay Pride parade, which I did.
Speaker 2: And there's no way people in stars Hollow.
Speaker 3: First of all, that's kind of weird, but I did I have to say this when Gypsy says was there any one else that could be in the parade? That I was kind of a musing, like come on. So that was That was all good. But then we're just getting all this sort of like stuff about the parade and you know so and so, and then we get the B list celebrities or at the inn and YadA YadA, and the big names or you know in the neighboring town Woodbury. It's just kind of like messy. And then there's the like hint of.
Speaker 1: We have let me, let me, let me just comment on this. Do you know how hard it is to just become a C level celebrity or a B level celebrity. It's like, do you have many A list celebrities there are in the world.
Speaker 3: We'd all be stoked to have some B listers that.
Speaker 1: Are ten maybe ten. You think there's ten.
Speaker 3: I think there's a No. I could name one hundred A listers right now, just if you wanted me.
Speaker 1: Hundred people and one business in a global business. There's one hundred people.
Speaker 3: Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Sanders Winsley, Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Lope has been Affleck, Matt Damon. I mean I can name a hundred, I think, but I can name five hundred B.
Speaker 1: I think acting is not an honored profession and I shouldn't be surprised or offended I.
Speaker 3: Get named so many. Oh, there's many movie stars, and yes there are B listers, but B listers are like great, but also so is Joe Schmoe if he's paying the bills at the end, Like why are we caring?
Speaker 1: But I think it's unfortunate language. It sounded disparaging against actors and I kind of took offense to it, not wanting.
Speaker 3: To because you're an actor.
Speaker 1: Well you know, listen, you know, our job as actors is to tell stories that can affect people's lives in very positive ways. Obviously, the actors that you know, the B level actors or the C level actors all in this show, and you know a couple of you know, melissimated through the A List helped a lot of people throughout the world. And to have the writers of the show that created this make a joke about the levels of actors and the B list and they're not wanted and they're just vain, ridiculous people who all they want to do is look at themselves in the mirror and workout I thought, you know what that few man. You know what I do and what actors do. It's a great responsibility to represent humanity properly, and we, you know, we take grain great pride and great pains in doing that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that it's offensive to actors to be called a B actor or a C actor, D the D list. I get it, you're not wrong, but it's also so like inveracular, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I almost turn it off at that point. I really did, Danielle, I agree with you. I almost I almost flipped it off, and I wasn't gonna watch the rest of it because it was like, you know, as an audience, this thing has to hold my attention, right, and the show I'm so used to the show appealing to the better rangees of my nature and this episode didn't appeal to any of them. In fact, it was grating. And the only you know, buoy that I had while I was drowning was you know, a couple of characters that it was like, somebody saved me from this.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't think it was as bad as you guys. That being said, it was way too much talk of mini fridges. I was like, I don't use the mini fridge, right, I don't care if they have many fridges. There's that one Smeg brand that's kind of cool if if that's in your hotel room because it's so fancy, and that for the per I.
Speaker 1: Haven't seen Michelle this upset for this long ever, and it just I just didn't think it was a good look.
Speaker 3: It was you're not wrong, okay now, and Laura LII and you're on the phone with Liz who's joined a cult. Now does Liz never show up in this She does not, does not come back.
Speaker 1: So not in this episode. I don't know about others, and I don't want to know.
Speaker 3: I can't remember, but so we don't have Liz, but we're talking to Liz and TJ. They've joined a cult, paul Anka vegetable cult. This is where they go to. They have dinner, which was kind of cute. I think they sort of like maybe had takeout. They definitely had a takeout salad. I think, you guys are watching a movie, then it's bedtime, and then she has the dream about paul Anka when we see the real paul Anka. So we're kind of having a call back to that from season six, I think season six.
Speaker 1: I mean at this point, I had no idea what was going going on, to be honest with you, it was just the whole thing was bizarre.
Speaker 2: I mean, the only thing that I took from this scene at least was that Laurlai thinks Michelle's leaving and that was sad.
Speaker 3: And we still yeah, she still doesn't know about Logan because she calls Rory in London, and I think, yeah, she's just so stupid.
Speaker 6: Well, also Rory would have told Laurai like and also Lorlai would know she's always she was always one step ahead of Rory, like she would know, right, she's not like d D all right.
Speaker 3: So then we're back in therapy and they're kind of having a bad moment and then they're laughing hysterically about so we understand, and then they're back mad at each other. There's some reference to a letter and Laura's like, I didn't write you a letter, though I do think we could pay off on that later I'm remembering, but maybe not. Anyway, that was kind of dumb. Now we go to London and this is where Naomi is just like just freaking out about something boyfriend and.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love everything about her.
Speaker 3: I couldn't dislike it more So, Rory and Logan are kind of there while she's on the phone with Naomi Slash Alex Kingston, and this is where Rory's like, well, I could stay. And then we find out Odette's coming and it's kind of actually just.
Speaker 5: Sad, just sad.
Speaker 1: Oh there's a bummer of a scene. Yeah, and it was it was a low energy, depressing scene between the two of them and.
Speaker 3: I'm just dealing, right, I'm dealing with this annoying Naomi. And then it's just like, oh great, So now I'm depressed because Rory's cheating with Logan, and Logan's cheating with Rory, and this odette woman's coming and I can't even have this couple be together that I want to have together. So now we're at the movie.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed this, this scene. I enjoyed the whole thing. I enjoyed everyone sneaking their food in. I enjoyed. But Beet and Maury with their grill making, Like what do they street meat?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: How like when you come out of a concert and they're always selling those hot dogs that smell like heaven on Earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tailgate inside.
Speaker 3: No, But like, you know, have you ever come out of a concert and there's all those hot dog vendors? Yes, and it's like bacon wrapped hot dog. First of all, I never will do it because I'm afraid they don't refrigerate them properly.
Speaker 1: What concerts? What kind of concerts?
Speaker 3: Where are you all concerts?
Speaker 1: Whenever I walk out of concerts, all they'd smell was marijuana.
Speaker 3: Nope, there's you'll smell. It's called street meat. And there's hot dog vendors everywhere everywhere. I'm going to that the football games, Sofa Stadium, Staples Center, everywhere, everywhere in La everywhere you go. It's like a huge business. They sell because people are so starving when they come out of those games, and they pay like they're not cheap. I think it's like eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah the hot dog you're missing out. Those are deh.
Speaker 3: So one time, I will say, I came out of a concert with Jenna Escoto and I said to Jenna, Ooh, how much would I have to pay you to eat that? And she goes, pay me. I would love to eat that.
Speaker 2: Honestly.
Speaker 3: They smell like heaven because they're thrilling, and they're like bacon wrapped. But I just have such fears that the bacon has not been properly refrigerated. Yeah, Scott, you're right guy, it's dia rhea. Anyway, So I thought the movie was hilarious. I thought the scene was hilarious. I thought the phone ringing was hilarious. That Emily's calling and wants to see Luke and the whole thing. I was like, I'm amused.
Speaker 1: Thought, Yeah, I thought the movie. Scene was good up until the phone started ringing, and I just wanted to see the film by Kirk. I didn't want to be distracted by it. You know, I thought the film by Kirk was film by kerk that's another film by Kirk. Second film by Kirk. I thought it was excellent. I thought it was a wonderful piece of student filmmaking.
Speaker 3: Pig.
Speaker 1: I love thee the Death of the Pig. It was just, you know, it was lighthearted and funny and fun and that's that's how I want to see Kirk, you know, dressed up as a raiser head. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love Lululu's love for Kirk. She just has undying love for Kirk. She hasn't left him in eight year. Maybe it's ten, I gotta do the math. Maybe it's twelve. I don't know. When she came on the scene, she's totally adorable and she loves Kirk.
Speaker 1: You know, there was a funny bit before they sat down. She goes, Kirk and I have done unimaginable things on this couch and Luke says that too late. Where you know he sat down.
Speaker 3: So good too. So okay, that scene I'm going to give a thumbs up. Okay, Now we go over to the Gilmour's, to Emily's and Emily's first like, Lourlai, why are you here? And then we find out that she's got something to tell Luke. She brings him into the study that in the library. Whatever?
Speaker 1: But what what? What is? What treachery is? What treachery is afoot here? Why can't Luke put on his big boy pants and go over? I mean, why are they portraying this guy such a wuss that he's so afraid of Emily? Okay, this is a grown ass man who's the woman he's in love with it and has been living with and fights him over to have dinner. Why can't he just go without him? Like?
Speaker 3: Mother in laws?
Speaker 1: Yourself nervous teenage here and his mommy's got to go with them.
Speaker 3: Do you go to your mother in laws a lot without your wife?
Speaker 1: If she invited me to dinner, I would go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Danielle, have you ever been to your mother in laws without John?
Speaker 2: I hang out with John's mom a lot without Fine.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, you guys are right then I'm gonna give.
Speaker 1: You It's it's the destruction of a character. Where have you ever seen. He just acts like an idiot inside that house. You know.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, I think the point is to make him look like a fish out of water. But like it's it's it's hurting his character, like you said, because Luke in Stars Hollow is the man right, like he is the guy is a dark story.
Speaker 1: But and why isn't Laurel I respecting his you know, his boundaries at all. It's like, I'm gonna go have dinner with your mother. So that's a scene like, hey, no, she invited me, I'm going. You're not going with me. I'm not a baby. I don't need my mommy there. You know, it's like, what is happening with this this character.
Speaker 3: I'm unbothered by it, but I can you guys can be bothered by it. I'm unbothered by it. It sort of tracks. It's always with the way it is with Emily, like I'm not going alone. I'm not going I'll go with you. Oh fine, you know, and then she ignores Laura and then she calls him in the study. I don't know Richard's office. Whatever it is, it is.
Speaker 1: It is emasculating, is what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't mind it, but I get you're don't mind Okay, I didn't mind the scene.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't mind the bit of it. I think it's a little bit amusing. She brings them in there. You know, she's sort of.
Speaker 1: You know, well, since he's now so stupid that he doesn't know what in vitro is, right, Okay.
Speaker 3: I agree with you on that one.
Speaker 1: That was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: This one is not as ridiculous For me.
Speaker 1: I thought it was pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Fair.
Speaker 1: Fair, I'm throwing. I'm throwing, like what a refs get. They get a bunch of flags. I'm throwing like all of my.
Speaker 3: Flags, rejecting it from the game. You've given the ejection.
Speaker 1: I am yes, I might ban them from the league.
Speaker 3: I think it's fair. It's all a little off. We find out that Richard specifically left me for Luke. Now it's a little rough because it's specifically to grow the diner and franchise it, which was mentioned in the series. There is a point in the series where Richard talks about that it's kind of when you go golfing.
Speaker 1: Maybe that is all fine, but just to reject it out of hand as these crazy rich people wanting to take over my life and force me to do something I don't want to do. I don't think it was handled well. I think it's a bigger story point that needed more carefully crafted scenes, like real consideration, because to take I think he needed to take it seriously. I think he needed to contemplate it. I think he needed to talk about it with Lorelei, but in a way where he owns it, and he owns the decision, and he comes to the decision with the love of his life and then goes back to Emily and says, I thank you. I and act like a man, you know, act like somebody, and go back and rejects the idea. Reject the idea, but you know, be polite about it. I mean, this guy put him in his will that that deserves respect.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you. I think it gets weird. So I don't mind the way this gave it a short ship. I don't mind the way the scene is handled where you go back out because.
Speaker 1: Now Luke's a minor character, he doesn't matter any more.
Speaker 3: I disagree. I disagree with that.
Speaker 1: I'm in the respect to develop.
Speaker 3: Disagree with that. Here the part that I think.
Speaker 1: Is ridiculous side dish at this point, and he's not respected.
Speaker 3: So I don't agree with that part. But the part I do agree with what you're saying is when he goes to.
Speaker 1: It's a fact. It's just a fact. It's not you know. It's like, how can you watch this thing and not see that this guy is a side dish At this point, they're pushing him so far to the side now, and I know where it's going that he's not going to exist soon. I know where this is going. I know where this is going.
Speaker 5: So do I.
Speaker 3: But at this point I don't agree with that. I think this scene is okay. The reason I say that, that's fine. We can disagree, but let me just say the point in case someone listening is like agrees or disagrees when he comes back and tells Florlai, like, your father left me money to grow the diner and she says, no, that's not happening. The reason I like about, what do you mean? Why is it up to her because you don't want it? You've been right? Why why I will long you don't want it?
Speaker 2: I will everyone?
Speaker 1: What about what about his daughter? He's got a daughter he wants to provide for too, so it's actually a gift that of what half a million dollars to start another diner and to franchise this out. This could be good for him and La.
Speaker 3: The character has never wanted her, could be.
Speaker 1: Good for April. I mean, there's no practical reason to reject it other.
Speaker 3: Than this guy is rejected it years ago.
Speaker 1: Dish At this point, I think the problem is everybody, so they can just.
Speaker 3: Do reject it. Guys, everybody, hold on one second, we do need to acknowledge oh wor spitting fire. But Luke rejected this idea years ago when Richard brought it up. He doesn't want I'm being true to the character. He doesn't want to franchise the diner. He doesn't want to get in.
Speaker 2: He didn't want to franchise change the thing. The problem here, in my opinion, is no one is letting Luke speak. No one is letting Luke decide. Emily Richard are saying here's the money you need to franchise and saying he doesn't want this. So no one is letting Luke decide what he wants to do.
Speaker 3: But do you guys think Luke does want it? Because I think Luke doesn't want it.
Speaker 2: I think if he didn't, he would have said, Emily, see you next year, you know, like he would would have he would have told I felt like I feel like he would have.
Speaker 1: Right, he's not enough of a man now because he's been so marginalized and so castrated that he doesn't even have the stones even if he wanted it to stand up the Laura li and say, I think once it would be I think this, let me let me finish. I think this would be a good idea. Let's discuss it. And maybe that's the thing that drives a wedge between them, and she goes off, you know, hunting for you know, her her soul somewhere in Califoina. But I mean it's like you, It's like, okay, so if you're gonna open up this can of worms with this guy, at least give him the respect. And I don't need to repeat myself, but I do. I poorly handled and and all.
Speaker 3: I can say is it is bizarre when you go with the realtor. So my thing is until this point, you're you're being polite. This is her husband who's passed away, this is what he wanted. So so Luke's sort of like okay, thank you, let me, you know, talk to you later, tells Laura. The part it's unhinged and ridiculous is that Emily storms into the diner in the middle of the work day and forces Luke in the car like a like you know, he's being held with the you know, with.
Speaker 1: The woozy that he now is, and now he is going along with it.
Speaker 3: There are places that part, that's what a woo does.
Speaker 1: He just goes along that. He's not a character anymore, he's not Luke anymore.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm agreeing with you. I don't agree with it yet, but coming up it's like that was ridiculous. He would have been like Emily, I'm not going to go look at these places. And you know, yes, it's sort of amusing. He's going into these restaurants and being like sorry, sorry, sorry, and they're in the car and the whole thing. But like that was crazy. He's gonna be like Emily, I'm not going not getting in the car and driving around what anyway whatever. Up until this point, I'm like, I wasn't that irritated by it.
Speaker 1: There's all that rich soil, all that fertile soil to sow the seeds of conflict and it wasn't taken advantage of at least now Luke not his.
Speaker 2: Care We'll say, I do feel like Luke is not dismissing it fully, but you know, like because even when he was when they went to that diner, he was like, this is not the best area of town, and Emily was like, this is up and coming, YadA yah, you know whatever. And I feel like Luke is entertaining it a little bit, but he doesn't have control over it, right.
Speaker 1: But you know what, Also the problem is is like Richard's gone, Emily is distraught. It doesn't matter what happened since Laurel I was sixteen, everybody. It shows that there has been no or very little character growth from the main character in this show from the time she was sixteen to present day. Because now she's in therapy, she's being rude to her own mother. She's being dismissive and mean to her own mother. And Emily had to stand there and say, I am in a tremendous amount of pain and she's breaking down in front of her own daughter. Why can't you acknowledge my pain and help me with my pain? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I think the same to be said vice versa. I don't think either of them have gone. I think because Lorala breaks down as my dad is gone, and Emily is not doing the same for her, they're both not doing the same for each other.
Speaker 1: I just think the path here forward would have been better served if it showed growth in all of these characters and all of these relationships, maturing getting involved in a business venture and seeing what the complications of that could read, but not castrating Luke and not presenting Larelai as an emotionally stunted person as they are portraying her as well, So we're not even on that subject, like what is going on Floraala? And there is just this there's this stagnation with these characters. They're they're they're being deconstructed, They're they're sort of you know, they're sort of losing their magic and their power, and it's hard to watch. And I think that's the thing that you know, put you to sleep and put me to sleep, as we almost and it's and it's kind of unnerving. These characters mean a lot to this fan base and they you know, these characters mean a lot to me too, and I don't like seeing them treated this way, and I don't like seeing them acting this way or saying these things or behaving in these ways, because it doesn't ring true to me at all. So deal with the diner. Do the diner, have the complications, have the growth, embrace your mother, get over it. Don't need to be in therapy. But here we are, right, it's like, help your mom.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's so?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What's the message of this show? A community comes together, it's family. At what point do we we can lay down our swords with these two? Right? These two can lay down their swords and new conflict can emerge out of the coming together of these of mother and daughter. Right. I don't I don't understand why they're doing this to these characters. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I feel like it tracks for the characters the whole. We've had seven years of Emily and Lorla not seeing eye to eye and not getting along, and so they are continuing that. So I actually find Yes, I don't love it all the time, but to me, it is true to the characters. Emily's not going to suddenly out of left field be like I'm going to be the better person and care about my daughter and Laura.
Speaker 1: No, it's on Laura to take care of her mom. She's getting older, she's alone, she's in this massive house, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just a certain how much.
Speaker 2: I can't even answer that question because it's like in theory, sure, but Laura has never been taken care of by her mom.
Speaker 3: I don't correct. It's this is a woman who's really treated Lorlai somewhat badly. That's what I always say about Emily. She's hot cold, She's not one or the other, She's both. So Lorlai is doing her part. Lorlai was right there by her side for the when everything happened with Richard. She's in therapy with her. She's doing her part. But Emily is prickly, and Emily doesn't have any respect for Lorli her decisions or Luke, which really doesn't have.
Speaker 1: Just suddenly there have been a few moments of clarity for Loralai appreciating her mother, haven't there There's.
Speaker 3: Been a few moments where where Emily really accepts Loralai for who she is, but very few.
Speaker 1: I guess. I guess that's really like the focus sort of gets out of focus very easily with these two. It's hard for them to come together. But I just think at this point, I don't know what I'm watching right now. I don't know what I'm watching, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why you're not wrong with that what you'll say, there's glimmers of Gilmore girl in it, Gilmore girls in it, but there's a lot that is like this is kind of messier hinged, right, So it's like some of it does track though, Lorle and Emily not getting along.
Speaker 1: You know what, it's the same old song and dance. I think we're ready for something different than that. That's fair, that mighty, and how many times are you going to go to that well? It's the same? I mean, really, we're still there after all of these years. It's like another level.
Speaker 3: Speaking of going to the well, we're at Chiltern now and we're going to the well of Paris being unhinged.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: It's like we know it. They love to write it, so that's what we're dealing with. So they come in that we've got the one hundred thousand. We find out Paris gave one hundred thousand dollars, YadA, YadA. I can't remember she gives her talk first, or if she gives it after but they're in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Did you let any of this? Uh, Paris rant.
Speaker 3: No, I did not love it.
Speaker 1: I didn't either, and it was one Nancy.
Speaker 3: Showing up was amusing. I laughed when Francie was dropping bombs.
Speaker 1: I thought it was wonderfully acted. But you know, I didn't think it was terribly funny.
Speaker 3: Hacky does make a good point, she said. She laughed when Paris held the door close with her foot, which I giggled a little bit too. That was funny, and I thought it was a good reveal, you know, if Francis showing up and sort of being a little bit mean to Paris still and you see a bit of Rory and Pars's friendship, like I'm not going to tell anybody about the empty briefcase and yeah, you know, and look, Paris is going through a divorce, so it tracks that she's going to be a bit unhinged, you know, Like I wouldn't want Paris to just be perfect, because that's not Paris. Yeah, so I look, I like seeing Headmaster Charlton. Am I saying his name right, Charles Charlton.
Speaker 2: I like being back at Chilton, to be honest.
Speaker 3: I love getting that that shot of the building with them outside in the driveway. That was awesome. There's a lot of nostalgic things that work about.
Speaker 2: This, and it's heads Charleston. I think he said that, Charleston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the core storyline lacks.
Speaker 1: Hey, Scott Patterson, we have so much more to talk about with Spring, so stay tuned. Hey, everybody forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.