Speaker 1: All right, welcome back to splash Hit territory. We have a very special guest with us. Tony Vaitello. Just got back from picking up his parents from the airport, ran in there, put his uniform on, jumped in a chair, turned on his computer and now you get to talk with us. So Tony, thank you for joining us for a little bit today. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: And as always, i'd like to put it out in public, thank you for how much you do for us during spring training. I don't know what the other years are like, but this year was awesome, so I appreciate it. It was it was fun getting to know the guy that I watched on TV and when you when you were out there, I kind of thought you were crazy, and then getting at getting the medium in person, it proved it true.
Speaker 1: That's right, Hey man, I love that stuff. Man, I like crazy crazy is fun for me.
Speaker 4: Uh. You know, Tony, I appreciate you coming on. Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I was thinking about with you coming on today and I was like, I want to put away the manager hat for a second. You get a lot of those questions. I'm sure Susan's going to have some for you. I don't need to tag team that, you know, that's her job. But I just first, you know, I got to hang out with Bruce. We were fly fishing a couple of weeks ago. Bochie and I was just life man. We get to talk life and I just love that about him and we put away that whole managing thought process. And just for me for a second, if you could take the manager hat off, I like to talk about the human side.
Speaker 4: You're one hundred and whatever we are.
Speaker 1: We're one hundred and twenty, one hundred and twenty get plus games into the season. But if you could give a little insight, if you could just Tony Bytello, who is he now?
Speaker 4: From opening day? Like? What have who is Tony right now? Now?
Speaker 1: These experienced one hundred and twenty games as a big, big manager.
Speaker 4: It has not been all roses. What thoughts do you have on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is all tied in the job.
Speaker 3: I think maybe the key is in life when you're trying to figure out what you want to do. You want to figure out what do you want to do for a living. That's your passion, not your job. And so if you are fortunate, you know to be one of those that are doing something that they maybe get compensated for. But if they do it anyway, even if they weren't, then your life is your job, and so it's kind of hard to take the manage your hat off.
Speaker 2: But I do think this.
Speaker 3: Has been a healthier and trust me, no one's wearing it more. And you guys come out to the field and I have so much respect for the tradition here and I meet a guy like Swan Dunstan's, I mean that was one of my idols. I mean, I was shaking myself that day, and then we don't perform well. I'd like to say no one's wearing it worse than I am internally. But having said that, this has been a much healthier version of just being a human being. I think I don't know how football coaches do it one week in one game, and one game can literally get you fired in the SEC or the NFL, and it's it's not quite that heightened sense, but in college it truly is. If you don't land a portal guy, it can ruin your season or tarnish it. You know, there's only ten weekends that there's such a big deal, and when you get on that bus after a tough loss, it rips you inside and out for a while. And I kind of carried that theme into this season, and a lot of it was just there was I don't really read a lot, but I think there was so much put into, you know, the storyline of someone.
Speaker 2: Coming from college.
Speaker 3: I just didn't want to be the one that interfered with the success of the organization or these guys that are adults, and a lot of them are established veterans, you know. I just wanted to make sure I supported and then you know, obviously did my job too. But when it didn't go well right out of the shoot, I was doing that sec thing.
Speaker 2: If it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Over and old Charlie Condon is eventually going to get called up with the Rockies. I remember when he called and said he was going to Georgia instead of Tennessee. I threw myself on the couch and I didn't move for like two hours.
Speaker 2: And at this level.
Speaker 3: You have to adjust and become a human being when you take your jersey off, take advantage of your off days. I remember Dusty yelled at me about how I was spending my off days. So I've made an adjustment ever since I had a really fun one yesterday. So in a better place would be a summary of that long winded answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard though, you know what you're trying to say how I would say, how I would say And it seems cliche, and Susan got cliche answers from us all the time, but it is what it is. Hey, there's one hundred and sixty two games. You can't win them all. You know you're gonna be one hundred and sixty to two and zero.
Speaker 4: There is that thought process. It can be taken too far.
Speaker 1: And I can tell you from what I've seen over the last you know, one hundred and twenty games, or four or five months, whatever you want to call it, I've seen that growth in you, to be honest with you, I've seen that where you're starting to me. I just want to tell you what You're on the right path, where you're coming out of that shell, where you're not making excuses for the guys. I know what you did early. It's great to protect you're a manager. You do what you got to do. But now, like what you said, hey, that when people say growing pains, you said, don't have to be you know, it doesn't have to be.
Speaker 4: It doesn't to be like that.
Speaker 1: Like you are starting to push back a little bit on the guys, which you should, because they are grown men. Like you said, they make a lot of money and they're going out there and they're grinding. But we're not going to be complacent. We can't be okay with what we got going right now. So I can tell you that I've seen that growth in you and I appreciate it, and I think you I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you don't listen.
Speaker 1: You don't probably read a lot, but one of the things I said is I need to see you get thrown out about five more times, but I need to see like good snaps, like I want you in the like I said, he's do it like he's got to do with these umpires, like get thrown out, man, get in there, grill like snap on them. Get We used to grade Boche's tosses like that was a freaking eight.
Speaker 4: You better clearly like.
Speaker 1: Get out there, you know, like I need to see you, know, I want to see that from you because I think it's in there and I think that that fire that you had when we did see you in the sec when we did see you at Tennessee. When you're snapping, it's okay to have that, and I think that you know, you're you're feeling your way through that a little bit. But what has actually been what do you think has been easier than expected?
Speaker 4: Though this year?
Speaker 2: Man not a whole lot.
Speaker 3: Would be the first name I think, to be honest with you. You know, when I got my theories and I just throw them out to Susan and the media about the difference between there and here. But just dealing with people, whether it's the front office, ownership, former players like I mean, Pablo Santoval's respect level for me is the most comical thing of all time. I mean, hit three homers off off Erlander and I could barely put the ball in play. But the people in the city too. Sure, there's you know, comment here and there. You hear when you're at home, you know if it's not going well, and to me, that's justified to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: But just dealing with the people has been some mesaged.
Speaker 3: It's been kind of a carryover of you know, it's with Peyton, it's with coach Hypel. The love affair for any college USC is like that. You know, if you perform well, they embrace you. And uh, it's been every bit of that.
Speaker 2: If not better good.
Speaker 5: Let's talk fathletics, shall we. They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about itcrats?
Speaker 6: Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sol my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 5: And if it gets a little bit chillier then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 7: Tony I have a follow up question for you from your from your first answer, how did you spend your off day?
Speaker 3: I just went to LA with some buddies and one of our better friends that had moved south to Palm Springs drove up and we went to a concert, didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've got injury.
Speaker 3: Stuff going on, so kind of took a little time to try and get an assessment on all that.
Speaker 2: And you try and do the lineup the day before, but.
Speaker 3: Just try to be lazy, to be honest with you, and then hooking up with that crew and telling some old stories was a lot of fun. And I tell you, we did make one comment one of my best friend's wives.
Speaker 2: We talked about.
Speaker 3: She's like, man, at least you don't have to check your phone every five minutes while we're hanging out anymore to see if teenagers are texting you or you got to call somebody or something like that.
Speaker 2: So this is a different kind of grind.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a grind, But like I said, I think it's taught me to be a little bit more of a person, not just kind of a robot.
Speaker 2: Well I do.
Speaker 7: I also, Jeremy's right, I'm going to ask the baseball stuff. But one of the interesting things here at post trade deadline is how do you look at this last two months I guess six weeks now when you've mentioned winning is still very important. Of course the wins and losses are important, but you've also got a factor in some development because you've got a lot of young players, which seems like a right in your wheelhouse, and also sorting through your various options as you look at next year's roster. How do you how are you looking at finding that balance with all of those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a little bit of it as always is, and again at the end of the day, I've got to make a call or put pen to paper and things like that. But I've always enjoyed group discussions and debates. So part of it is the group getting together and mapping out to this point, who does everybody want to see? And then how are we going to balance it out? So I think, you know, early on it was just kind of these are our guys and they're out there. I think we're going to go from one extreme to the other and kind of map out ahead of time, just this guy's going to get sixty percent of the games, this and that, So I think it'll it'll be a little bit of an organizational challenge, but it'll be a lot of fun as far as being organized.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's extra time before the game and after the game, and maybe even on an off day checking on a guy and reminding them this or that because he is a younger player and needs to learn quicker. But when the game starts, it needs to be better baseball and it'll probably come out of me. So Jeremy will be on.
Speaker 2: An umpire, but it'll be on somebody.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of there's been a lot of extra, little extra stories this year, and you got to write about stuff, and there's it's fun to debate, but at the core of everything is we just have to play better baseball. There's not a guy that's gonna step on the field for us tonight that that can't catch a baseball or throw strikes or compete in the box. And you know, if you can do it once too, it means you can do it again. So we've just got to execute better. And I think the coaches have slowly started to learn each other better and maybe how to communicate with some of the players and then eventually us working as a group together, because it isn't just on the players, but they are the ones out there.
Speaker 2: We just have to play better baseball.
Speaker 1: Right, You got to play better baseball, and you got to be able to get the veterans to be able to step in and be leaders too. Right, Yeah, not only do we gotta play better baseball, I need you guys to go out there and lead show these young guys what it takes to prepare for a major league baseball game. This is the big leagues. This is like, this isn't like we're not developing. We can always get better, but this isn't the minor leagues. We called it semi pro ball down there, right, It's not semi pro. This is pro ball, and there's an expectation at this level. And so for you going out there and managing that and having that that thought processes is to me, is going to be a game changer because these kids need to know that. But managing veterans is not the same. It's very, very tough to do. What have you seen when you got college kids that you have been that you've been managing, versus now.
Speaker 4: You did skip it. It's it's you can't not ignore.
Speaker 1: Everybody talks about it, Well, he went from college to the big leagues, blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Great, But what does managing veterans?
Speaker 1: How does how? How did that feel? I mean, it's got to be something a little different than what you expected. How has that been this year for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been different because I think.
Speaker 3: A lot of people, a lot of people thinking I've stepped back too much. But to be honest with you and talk with Buster and the guys in the offseason, like that's how I've always been. I've been a big believer of freshman year to sophomore year to junior year. You get coached different, and the whole goal is to build a player that is a junior draft guy or a senior. You're coached in a way that you can coach yourself on the field, and you become a coach. You become a basically like Drew Gilbert was so good at being another voice, basically repeating things that we would say in a meeting, then repeating him in the locker room, and he became like an additional coach.
Speaker 2: The difference is.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying we were geniuses or knocking anybody, But we had that time beforehand to build that foundation. And then when you get a guy like Gavin Keelan who comes from a great program at Louisville, he's kind of got that foundation he had there. We meet with him, we talk about the changes, and then we have a whole semester in a half. Even just having Gavin for one year, we still got a semester and a half to build that foundation of like, this is what we're looking for, this is what works, not this doesn't work here, and instead here it's just come and you know, some of these guys have had an insane amount of success, so to come in guns blazing didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But you don't have that same page that you're on from being a part of the person's foundation.
Speaker 5: This is that time of year, Aja, it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 8: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up, we have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankee's Red Sox that means stuff. Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to you can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 5: Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sekeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Boats helped me out as a veteran player. Him and I would tow a line a few times because I get weird a few times and I expected certain scenarios. But you know, I remember getting after him and he looked at me and he said, Hey, here's the deal. My door is always open to everybody, veterans, rookies, etc. I'm gonna have different conversations with you as a veteran as I might have with some of the younger guys. However, you can ask me any question you want, but if you don't want the answer, don't ask it. Because I would get on him about not pitching me in certain scenarios. I wanted to pitch right, So I'm like, I did not him, and I did not agree. Sometimes when I did not go into the ballgame and he said, well, if you don't want you want the answer because you asked a question, I said, yeah. He's like, your feelings don't matter to me. He's like, I'm trying to win a ball game here, and that to me is a huge thing for a veteran to hear your feelings do not bother me. So I can pull you out of a game like you did the other day with Rupe.
Speaker 4: Great, I know you want in the game.
Speaker 1: I love it. I freaking love it. That's your feeling. Great, I gotta try to win a ball game. I'm making the decision, you know. So those are kind of things that for me, a manager leads well in when they're not afraid to look at veterans and say feelings do not matter.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to win a ballgame.
Speaker 1: I hear you, you're coming out or maybe you'll talk me into it, but I make the final call. And man Boach kind of put me in my place a little bit there and didn't let me influence too much of it. And I think that's where I fell back into, like really choosing to let him lead, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's a big deal for me. So those are kind of things I think veterans need to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and something I think as a as a coaching group, starting with me, it's gotten better with some individuals. Looking back on it started off too slow in that category, but still trying to break down that barrier of you know, you pitched like a guy that wasn't afraid to go into the manager's office. And I'm not saying I don't have guys that do that, but I don't, and I don't know how other people were. It's been awesome to get to know Boach and Dusty, but I still think the manager label just comes with this list of stereotypes. But we're all different, and I'm all for somebody like I love the roop thing, and you know, me and Webby had our you know, when he stayed in that Cubs game, it was probably more interesting than everybody realized. But we haven't had a lot of conflict. I mean, the Chapman Schmidty thing is maybe the only thing that the public knows. And then, you know, I tried to blow it up and say, there's only been two other times, you know, anyone that has said anything unfriendly, And next thing, you know, we had three incidents in the locker room or whatever.
Speaker 2: But we just haven't had conflict. And I told the player the other day, well, yeah, it was ruper and I came in here, we sat.
Speaker 3: We always talk after his outings, and I feel like I'm maybe as close with him as anybody.
Speaker 2: And we meet even if it's fake. You know.
Speaker 3: I remember when Pat Murphy was at Arizona State, they faked a fight on the field during pregame in and out. They ended up losing the game, and I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Smart it was. Murphy is definitely smart, but for that team, it didn't work. But we just haven't had that.
Speaker 3: And the one thing I said to Wash the other day when we were talking about a debate with a player, was you can't fight with a stranger the way you would with your brother or your sister. And it's because you care and there's feelings, and I think there just needs to be more of that. People are so invested that they don't like when the first basement didn't catch the ball and they let them know. Those two guys are as close as can be. But that's a moment that maybe hasn't been replicated enough this year. Not that we want strife and stuff like that, but you just want people that are all in.
Speaker 7: I mean, I have one quick last one for you before we let you go. I think Jeremy probably wants to finish up with somebody too. But one of the things that's been really fun this last month and a half, two months maybe is the increased emphasis on Stanley Basis, base running, pushing the action, even some bunting, maybe a little bit of hit and run here and there. How are you seeing that aspect and what kind of difference might it make for a team like this, especially a young kid. You've had all these young outfielders bringing up Turner Hill today Jonah Cox's back seems like you have even more opportunities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it just seems to be in general, a young man's game. And I don't mean you have to be below thirty five years old. It's just these arms out of the bullpen are so good, and runs can really be at a premium at times, so you have to get active, and you've got to be athletic on defense and offense. And there seems to be a lot of personnel coming up, and the two guys you mentioned are extremely athletic. That helps support what we want to do. But I think what we did was we just adjusted, and easy to argue for anyone out there to say we adjusted too late. The flip side of that coin, as you come in and you look at the names on paper arise, you just let him hit and then Ramos not that he can't hit, but you also kind of hope he hits another one in the water, which he's the only one that's ever done that. And it just didn't work for us, and you knew it was going to turn, and it did turn in May, and I really feel like since then we've played better baseball. It's just been we haven't got into the one run games or close games. We can if you all want, but it's it's not going to work with the personnel that's on the horizon. And then probably even just with the personnel we had just to sit back and say, let's see if we can outswing you. So I think it's been great, it's been fun. I appreciate you saying that, but I think in our eyes, we got to there needs to be more.
Speaker 2: We got to build on it.
Speaker 3: And sometimes you guys will pick something out that's dead on, but more times than not, when I'm in here for the last for the ten minutes after the game, I beat myself up over missed opportunities to do even more of that.
Speaker 2: So hopefully we can build on.
Speaker 7: It even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tony, and we know you got to go, man. I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate you jumping on with us. You got a lot of stuff that you got to kind of get prepared for and deal with and all that good stuff. But I just want to tell you, man, thank you. I appreciate you coming on. You didn't have to, and I've seen I've seen your growth and I want to encourage you that way. So keep grinded, man. I think there's a lot of things that you got put put into this year that I think is going to help you be very successful in the future. You got some young kids coming up. I think some young guys on your team. Now, I think there's some talent coming and I know Buster is trying to definitely try to get you in arsenal that you can get in there and slam the door on some of these games. But man, and just enjoy your final two months. Man, and get these guys grind and run your kind of baseball how you want to run it, and don't apologize for it.
Speaker 4: Man, you're doing great.
Speaker 2: No, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these guys are young and exciting, and I've been amazed at how our fans have come out, especially compared to places we've gone on the road. There is reason to still come out and see these guys. And then we need to reinforce that with we'll be on a mission. It needs to be an improved end of the year and then, like I said, we got to execute better. So the offseason will be one thousand percent put towards that. But appreciate all the support and definitely appreciate you all.
Speaker 4: Good. Thank you, I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Take care