Speaker 1: Good afternoon.
Speaker 2: It's Steve Schmidt with the Warning, pleased again to be hosted by the Save American Movement, and we're joined this afternoon by.
Speaker 1: The eighth term member of Congress.
Speaker 2: The three term governor of the great State of Washington, Jay Insley. And one of the things I like about these conversations is when you talk to somebody who served for eight terms in Congress, who served for three terms as governor of a state, and could have gotten elected to a fourth term, and that is no small feat. In today's day and age, there's a lot of things happening, and it's great to talk about some of the eminences to some of the eminences of the party who don't have any thing to run for anymore. And we'll tell you like it is one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 3: Governor, welcome, Thanks for having Steve. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: There's a terrible tragedy unfolding in the state of Washington. It's really an extraordinarily magnificent state. The beauty of it beyond my ability to put into words. But one of the really special regions of it Eastern Washington. It's the part of the state that gets less press attention than the West, the big city Seattle. These are the rolling hills of the Polue and the city of Spokane has suffered terrible, terrible damage. Can you tell the warning audience to Save America Movement audience what's going on in eastern Washington and where people can go to help, and we'll put that up here by the time we get to the to the end of the program.
Speaker 3: So Spokane, Washington, home of again Zaga Bulldog's birthplace of bing Crosby, beautiful dynamic community is really we've lost six hundred or seven hundred homes in this catastrophic fire. There are actually three fires burning that have threatened the city. These are fires that burn in grass and bush and to some degree some pine trees. And Spokane now is joining the list, unfortunately, of the rolling catastrophe that is climate changes in the Western United States of Lehina, Hawaii, Altadena, California, Paradise, California. It's just now joining that list and it's devastating. We're just talking about Steve before we started. You know, when you have tragedy, individual tragedy is enough when a person gets ill or you lose them, but these are whole communities that have been eliminated to some degree of huge neighborhoods and centers of communities. And it's not alone. Unfortunately, just down the road three years ago, a little town called Molden was wiped out. Eighty percent of all the homes were burned down in Malden, Washington, totally eliminated the core of the whole city. So Spokane is experiencing that type of catastrophe. We appreciate everybody's help to the extent they can. We hope we get some federal help, which unfortunately we have not got from the federal government recently. We hope that the federal government is going to do its job and help these homeowners rebuild and community rebuild. That remains to be seen. We don't know if there's been a loss of life yet, so to that degree, we hope that we've had some luck. But it is an unfortunately exhibit a of what we face in the Western United States now. Given the aridity and temperature that is unprecedented, these fires are it's hard for us to understand if you've never fought a fire, I've actually fought one. The intense heat and rolling flamethrower effect. The firefighters will tell you that what used to be a fire that you could manage, you could slow down with aircraft and personnel. Digging trenches doesn't cut it anymore. These are unmanageable fires because they're like flamethrowers and there's no human intervention. And that's what we're facing, unfortunately in the Western United States and in Spain and France and other places right now. So that's what we face at the moment. And I'm going to be doing all I can to help this community rebuild, which it will, but it's slow.
Speaker 2: Governor, has this not been declared a federal disaster?
Speaker 3: I believe it has, at least in the first instance. The first stage of this is where you actually allow to actually be a coordinating agency. So that first step in the recovery process has been accomplished, and that's good, but there are many morning more steps where we'll need federal government to step in. And to be honest with you that you know, this is called the warning and there is a warning here that unfortunately the current administration has willfully denied aid to these families in many places in the United States because they happen to be represented by folks in the blue side of the team, and I experienced this in Malden when this town burned down just you know, fifty sixty miles south. This spookan. The whole town was eliminated, but the President refused to give us any aid. And the tragedy of this was so disturbing because more than you know, sixty seventy percent of the people this little town voted for Donald Trump, and then he turned around and refused to help him. And we hope that is not the situation Spokane. We hope that there will be voices that are loud enough to shame the administration into helping. And so that's what our hopes are.
Speaker 2: As a political leader who has been elected as many as up we're testing alarms here today. Excuse me, as a person who has won a lot of elections, what is it that you would say if you were walking into a room full of people eighty percent of whom voted for Donald Trump, who were just thoroughly betrayed by him. And I say that, and we're going to talk about some other issues. I grew up in New Jersey and so I am not surprised by that, because there's been no working class guy, no small businessman, ever that Donald Trump hasn't screwed over in the building of anything that he's ever been involved in. But what would you go in tone temperament?
Speaker 1: How do you.
Speaker 2: Persuade these people? I mean, calling them stupid is not a smart strategy. Judging them doesn't seem to work, though a lot of Democrats have become expert at that. What is it that you say to.
Speaker 3: Well, first off, I really appreciate your first comments that neither judgment or works in any discussion like this, you know, in to some degree, I suppose maybe some Democrats have fallen victim of that because you know, we saw it coming and others did not, unfortunately. But what I would say is to try to be future focused and try to help people get to a place where they look to the future, namely like, you know, we had this past and he did terrible things to you, unfortunately, and at the moment continues to do that. But to help people discover their agency about what we do about this now? And I think one of the things the leadership is to help people recognize their ability to influence their future, to get them to at least consider how are you going to solve this problem now? Well, Frankly, the most obvious one is you're going to vote for candidates who will not be subservient to him, who will not jump when he says jump, who will call a spade a spade, and will call him to account when he violates the law and the constitution, and to look for candidates who will do that. And that could be on either side of the agenda. If you know, if you can find a Republican who will do that, look for a candidate who will do that. It's rare or non existent unfortunately at the moment, but you got another party candidates too that are available to do that. So I guess what I would say is to try to help people look to the future and to find their agency and their voice and their power and empower them and actually get people to understand their power. I actually this is one of the things that certainly I've experienced, that people feel they can't influence the dialogue or the events or an election when they actually can. And I tell stories about how, you know, one guy stood up and took a position and eventually got Congress to pass the law. That happened to me when I was young. Congress from one guy wrote a letter about how the banks were stealing our private information one guy. It ended up a federal law that we could stop banks from doing that. So I just try to empower people.
Speaker 2: When you talk about empowering people, you look out at the Democratic Party right now, less than one hundred days out from a midterm election, where really the only question I think matters is putting a check on Donald Trump's power in this moment. But come back to that in a second. You have both the Senate leader right now. I don't think he'll be the Senate leader for very long, but for now, he's the Senate leader and the House leader. In a giant country. I think it's hard if you live in Brooklyn to conceptualize how big Washington State alone is. But in a giant country, both congressional leaders live within eight blocks of each other in Brooklyn, and every person ninety five percent of them that we see on television talking about politics, they all live within twenty blocks of each other in Manhattan or in Washington, DC. And I would argue, and have argued, the Democratic Party is a great national party that no longer functionally is a national party, doesn't really exist in the Mountain West, and it doesn't function in the Deep South. You have two fantastic candidates, Jamie Davis in Louisiana running for the Senate, Scott Column, a black prosecutor in Mississippi. And I think when you think about Fanny new Hammer, you think about MegaR Evers, I think there's a moral obligation for the Democratic Party to raise the banner there and say we're here to the last dog dies. As Bill Clinton used to say, We're gonna We're gonna be here until we till we win.
Speaker 1: So many of these issues that.
Speaker 2: We're talking about, the concept of there's drought across the West, forest management, these are not issues that exist in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: These are not issues that exist in in large measure in our urban areas on the on.
Speaker 1: The east coast.
Speaker 2: What does the Democratic Party need to do to put a Western face on it to be able to communicate to people in the Inner Mountain West again, in the in the deep Deep South? What how do how do you think about that? Is governor of Washington, you represented two distinct sections of the As a congressman, you represented two distinct areas of the state. We were talking about that before the show. But Washington State is not Seattle. This is a agricultural state, this is a timber state. There is a natural resources state. There's an agricultural state. It's a technology state, of course. But but but talk about when you when you hear people saying we're gonna build data centers in a corner of Utah twice the size of Manhattan, where there's no water in the west, where the Colorado River states are drawing down their compact flows, and all of this is tied in together with what we're with, what we're talking about. What do you counsel democrats on that question?
Speaker 3: Well, first off, I would say that there's some really positive things happening on this score that you've identified. You look at some of the candidates that are rising to the top right now that have found a way to do this. You look at Rob sand who's running for governor of Iowa, who is a fantastic, just individual who connects with people, who focuses on his hunting and fishing to connect with Iowa voters, who has a tremendous theme that he talks about. How he says, you know, in Iowa, we found what works is you need to rotate the crops. Well, we need to rotate the crops of the people. Who are you know, leading Iowa. And so some individual talent a Rico in Texas, which is you know, maybe leading right now in Texas, who is a found to connect with people kind of culturally in a surprising way because of his faith based, you know, value system that he is. He's found a way to connect with Texas voters like that. You look at Kelly in Kansas who really understood so many down home issues, Grisham, you know in New Mexico, who understands the power of clean energy. And right now there is a fantastic opportunity for the state all over or for the Democratic Party all over the country on these data centers as a challenge to these communities, because people are very angry at the sort of rolling failure to listen to local communities and the development of data centers on three respects. Number one to still threaten their ability to get electricity off the grid with not having adequate protections to insist that the data centers do not end up causing rate increases of consumer users in the grid, and there are inadequate protections against that. Second, there are there are health issues that people are very concerned about on pollution. And this is a really sad fact right now that I think there's like eighty data centers right now that are that are in the process of building gas turbine powered plants, which cause massive pollution, and unfortunately Trump has loosened the protection against air pollution. And these people are now living in suburban neighborhoods breathing nitrogen oxygen and nitrosoctions and particulate matter, not to mention the climate gases that are coming off these FEISO fuel places. In third, there is an emerging concern about the AI dominance of what it's doing to some of our businesses and employment opportunities in privacy that so all those things are tremendous opper tunity for Democrats. And I'm pleased to say that the Democrats are the most health oriented and I think most strategic and responding to those concerns, and I think you're going to see Democrats win on this issue of data center protection against this. You saw it in Virginia and New Jersey where our two governors really did talk about providing protection in this score that were so successful, you know, and you see what's happening in Georgia with our two great senators. So I think that we are seeing the emergence of new leadership in some of these areas.
Speaker 2: When you look ahead now to twenty twenty eight, I think this is going to be a very fast starting presidential election cycle.
Speaker 1: It's going to come right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: After the mid terms, we'll start to see that democratic field take shape. I've said at I think you know you it's tough if you if you're a baseball fan, you have to you have to give everything a number. Every everything has its rank. So an Aaron Judge is a number two right behind show he Otani is as great as he is. And so I I tend to look at these Democratic candidates or prospective ones on in terms of who I hope will run, who I think can do it?
Speaker 1: Uh, that that has the skill level.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty impressed right now with John Ossoff and and and I think I was amongst the first to start saying about a year ago, uh, this is somebody who has a lot of talent, you know, publicly in that space as a presidential candidate. I think Andy Basheer, the governor, the governor of Kentucky, and and I think if you have to, if you have to start ranking governor versus senator, I think advantage goes to the governor, the Washington outsider.
Speaker 1: The more the more clear one. Uh.
Speaker 2: I think Pritzker has been impressive over the last two years.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think that Gavin Newsom, you know, certainly is somebody who has a lot of lot of political uh, a lot of political skill has been has been in the fight. Who are who are some of the other people that when when you look out and and you you see his prospective candidates not not looking for an endorsement, you know that that share. You know, what I would say is Carbal's position, my position, which is run. I hope Ramammanuel will run. I think that's an important voice in the in the in the party. I hope Jason Crowe uh, the Colorado congressman uh will run.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see a really a really big field anybody else out there that that you look at and say, I'd like to see them as a candidate, see what they got.
Speaker 3: Well. I would encourage anybody who has a and credibility to run this year because it's an open field to run, right, So if you're an open field runner. There's a lot to run on, and I think that that you have candidates that who may be you know, in the two or three percent polling right now, It could end up being very credible candidates. You know that happened with Pete Budachez when I ran for president twenty twenty, who caught fire and became a top tier candidate. You got Senator Kelly, you know, who is an incredible talent and has a story to tell. It's incredibly unique of his personal story. You have Wes Moore, who's just a really young talent. Andy Basher has such a unique story to tell from his both biography and how he's done in his state. So I would say there's multiple other candidates, and I think it is an entirely open field. I will say this, and I know that this sounds like, you know, just one political hack talking about his friends. I there is a lot of talent in this field. You know, I was governor for twelve years. I've been around the block. I was in Congress in fourteen. There's like a half a dozen of these candidates who I think could be very very successful presidents in the United States. And I know that might be maybe people won't give a lot of credibility to that. But I've actually never been as impressed with the field as this perspective one. And I was, it's just a very strong field and it's unpredictable. I like the fact that our first primary is now in South Carolina. I think that helps the party identify someone who can appeal to the broad demographics of the country earlier will be productive or could be productive. We've got Nevada, so we've got a Western voice. I think the current primary setup is going to help us really find the right person.
Speaker 2: When when you look out of the field and you see some of these can that it's asoff in AOC who have a lot of attention I was. I was quite outspoken about Biden's broken promise. I predicted the catastrophe, what it would do to his legacy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's a I think it's a tragedy for him, for the for the country. Uh. But eighty two was too old. Eighty six is absurd, Uh for for an age for the president of the United States. Let me let me ask you this. It's forty two young.
Speaker 3: No, you know, I grew up in the age of John F.
Speaker 2: Kennedy and I forty three, not forty in a in a in a combat veteran who was a well traveled journalist, a old soul. I see aspects of that character which you could attribute to Kennedy in as off who's connected through his through his service to John Lewis, there's a there's a heaviness about him and I and I just you have kids. I got kids, right, I'm fifty five. I've grown a lot between forty and fifty five. I just but Teddy Roosevelt was forty one. That's the that's the youngest. I mean I would certainly not be for somebody who is thirty five, right. I can't imagine a scenario where where I would where I would be for that or comfortable with it, like forty is my is my youngest line. I just I just throw it out there, like you know, just to started discussion. It's going to be talked about to y'all.
Speaker 3: I think I think your comment is is well taken. That it depends on the individual whether you've been battle tested somehow in life and have overcome challenges. Have you had experiences that have given you some depth, But you know, you look at any Burgsure, I don't know how only and he is actually but to see his success an executive position, I consider him young. But I would not have any problem of a person in their you know, mid forties being our candidate at all, as long as they experienced a depth. That's why I like governors, frankly, who have been really tested at the firing line, because when you are an executive, you go through a fire that is very different than a legislator. And I've experienced both because I was in the Congress for so long and as a governor, it's a very different experience. That's why I sort of lean towards governors to start with. But you point out if John F. Kennedy, who you know, swam two miles to save his PT crew and came back with the grace to write Pulitzer Prize winning books and the best inaugural speech of all time with help from a sourceen. But so I don't. I'm not afraid of people of that age scale. And I share your view about the tragedy of what happened last time. I think it was a very sad combination. Some of us were concerned. We thought that the next person in line was not going to be successful either, And so frankly that's the concern that I had. It turned out to be the case. So huge tragedy. But now I tell you the country is ready for an enormous potential wave to regin in this madness, and I'm giving you some good news about that. It is incredibly strong. You look at the election results last night in my state, which portend a wave of election. There's no guarantees here, right, so you know, maybe who knows, But at the moment, it looks to me like we're going to have a mechanism of constraining Donald Trump to some degree. I believe that as highly likely, and we will I hope will be effective in that regard.
Speaker 2: I will lay something out and have an honest conversation about it. I was a Republican. I was a member of the party for twenty nine years. I worked in politics at the highest level that you could you could you could work out American politics, and I founded an organization that I think played a decisive role in defeating Donald Trump in twenty twenty, of the Lincoln Project. I think that to this day it is the most effective group that went head to head with him in that in that in that cycle, I appreciate that I'm part of a broad coalition of defiance in opposition to this, and you have to be tolerant inside a coalition. The Democratic Party sees a resurgent Left or a surgeon resurgent insurgent Left in his party. You saw one of those candidates when he's talented, Abdul l sayed in Michigan, the Senate seats are important. A day before the election, he's hanging out with a guy named Tussan Piker, and one of the things that Hassan Piker said was that America deserved nine to eleven. In fairness, he's backtracked by it, but he is by every measure. I think it's fair to say anti American in that he views the problems of the world as entirely America's fault. Chairman Mao, in his views a great leader. But back to nine to eleven. We're coming up on the twenty fifth anniversary of my dad worked on the ground zero pile. He's now disabled with severe neuropathy. Is it linked to the poisons he experienced on that pile? Maybe? Maybe not, who knows, but I think it is. His doctor suspects it strongly too much pride, you know, to ever claim what he's entitled to from some of these funds. Just one of those guys of your generation. But I look at my dad and I just I don't think, you know, with all specta sat piker, I don't think he deserved it. And that gives me a problem with abdulah Sayad. And so there's a there's a demand in politics in this moment that I meet abdull Sayed where he is as opposed to Abdelsayed meeting me where I am in the Grand in the Grand Coalition. There's a tug in pull in that. And this is a big country, and I think that there are over and over again these enthrallments that come out of I don't know where the ether right and Democrats must repeat them or else defund the police, defund this whatever the slogan de jort may be, lest you be judged and punished. And I think it played a big role in the defeat in twenty four. But where are the boundary lines of the coalition. And with regard to his friend who he's hanging out with, what what what is the what is the what do I got to get over with here, right, you know, for the for the for the greater cause.
Speaker 1: Let me yeah, you know what how would what would you advise him to say? And what what would you advise me on this.
Speaker 2: In this in this moment, because my my position on this is kind of hard. And I say that is I'm not a Michigan voter, right, so I don't have to choose, you know, between Rogers and and l S I ed and I and of course I can't support the guy who's been endorsed by Trump. So so you look at the two parties, and you look at the national catastrophe here.
Speaker 1: Talk to me.
Speaker 3: Well, first off, thanks, thanks for your father's work. You know, just small aside. You know, when I went up for maybe the week after, four or five days after, and saw the pile and the smoke and the debris, and I remember asking our federal partners, well, this error seems extremely contaminated. Should we be wearing masks? And they said, oh no, no, there's no problem with the air qualities here. And I'm going, like there was thousands of tons of asbestos. Of course there's a problem. And we we were lied to by that administration and your father and many others were victimized by that because you had an administration that was not facing up to a public health problem. And when you have an administration doesn't doesn't face a public health problem and tell the truth, bad things happen. And that's happening today. It's our current administration as well. Anyway, I hope your father does better. I guess what I would say is, I think it's productive to try to focus on how you project actual decision making as opposed to unfortunate rhetoric. That's what I would encourage us to do with all of these candidates. So I was a huge opponent of the Iraq war, and there was disagreement about that to some degree, but I was a huge opponent of that military.
Speaker 2: Action, and you were right, you were well, I think it's I think it's important to say, and you were.
Speaker 3: Right in retrospective us.
Speaker 2: You were right about a really important issue in real time, and we are now losing a war that will have much deeper consequences than that lost war. And we'll talk about oil and gas here in a second. I don't mean to interrupt you, but I but you were right about the pre eminent foreign policy issue up until this moment in time over the first quarter century that made possible to Trump. So don't be humble on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I have a hard time being humbled, probably as you can respect. So no, I guess what I'm saying is I think it's more important when you make a decision who you're going to vote for, to try to project the real decision making that they actually will affect, rather than some of their rhetoric, either because they're extremely eloquent or because they've said some bonehead dead things like defund the police. And so if I had to choose a candidate who is going to make the right decision on whether to go to war or not, even though they might have had some rhetoric that was absurd, I'd picked the person who's going to make the right, real decision on a substantive issue. And I think it's easy in politics to get distracted by the shiny object, either pro or Khan. I'm looking for the person who's going to have the judgment to make real voting decisions, and that's what I would say. And you know you mentioned the defund the police. This is one of the greatest self inflicted wounds of all time by some of my fellow Democrats, which was just nuts and unfortunate. But now, who's going to go forward to have good immigration policies that will be effective rather than just disturbing, You know, that's more important. So I've I try to focus on the practical and real, substantive decisions. That's what I would.
Speaker 2: Say when you look right now at the price of gas and the state of the Iran war. Is somebody who has been an expert and outspoken on energy policy for a very, very long time. We have water shortages around the country. We have extreme fires burning around the country, getting worse every year. We have landish fantastical plans being called for that require building things that need water around which there is none. Energy policy in my lifetime has gone from at some level being dysfunctional to being fantastical and delusional in this era, and Trump is out there telling people it's never been better, We've never been more more self sufficient. Enormous geopolitical implications for the Iranians having control of the Straits of Hormaz and the ability to toll it with the government of Oman. Talk about energy and how Democrats should should frame this as an issue going into twenty twenty eight, and you talk about Tela Rigo. The one thing that I think if you work in the Permian Basin in Texas, if you if you work in oil and natural gas industry, the one thing that that's really reached those people from Democrats is the Democratic Party wants to take their job away, right And I and I can point to one hundred examples by loose quotes by Democratic politicians. How did Democrats talk about this without alienating people who work in the energy industry? For example, our clean energy future, I think is going to be built by a lot of people who are current day engineers at Exxon and Shell, not necessarily by liberal arts majors with seven sisters degrees from one of the one of the Northeast colleges. How should Democrats talk to people about the issue?
Speaker 3: So I would suggest every Democrat and every race in the country should have a four point way to talk about energy, and that is number one. Costs. Everyone is experiencing these costs. Doesn't matter what job you're in or where you live. Everyone in America is being victimized by the cost inflation that has been intentionally inflicted by this president and the folks who are as minions in the US Congress. This is an intentional act of driving up the cost of every single family that maybe to the extent it's like four hundred and fifty dollars a year just for gas prices. And this was not an accident. It's almost intentional. You know. Trump at one point actually said when people were asking about gas prices, he said, I love gas. The fact that gas prices are high, we make more money. Well, the we, what he says we is the shareholders of which he is one apparently, or some company are making bank while people are suffering. So every single discussion about energy, I believe, should start with costs and a full throated indictment of this guy who hasn't raised costs sort of accidentally but intentionally to some degree, So including.
Speaker 2: With why can't anybody make that point governor in the whole of the in the party in washing Ken it's intentional, It is the policy.
Speaker 1: Right the way you just said it.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, I think that some are with, you know, variety degrees of passion, but everyone should, even if you're running for the school board and Muskegee, you should make this point about what's going on in this country and The reason is it is a totally unifying message. You know, Butcher's makers, candlesticks makers, everybody's the victim of this guy's policies. And that's the first point. Second, it's based on corruption. I call the mugging at mari Alago where he brought in the oil executive is he says, if you guys are willing to put a billion dollars in my campaign, I'll give you whatever you want. And what he gave him is three hundred percent increases in the profit of Chevron and two hundred percent increases and I think it was Exxon and the cost of something like twenty six billion dollars of additional cost for Americans. So they got what they bargained for. So this is based on corruption. And I think that you know, we're all human, we can all make mistakes of judgment and otherwise, but this is based on venality of a corrupt, stinky bargain. I call it the mugging of Mara Alago. Third, we should talk about the chaos that he's creating in our economy, his whiplash of just absurd things like striking to deal with Saudi Arabia, pulling the rug out from her in the next day of you know, just the chaos that he's created is very difficult for business planning. And the fourth is we have the capability, we have agency of doing something about this. We're not powerless because we've got the options for cleaner energy. Right now, ninety percent of all the new energy that's come on their grid last year was clean, less expensive energy that costs less than cold. We have these technologies at hand if we simply put him to use. But unfortunately Trump has you know, he has a blockade on Iranian oil, but he's also got a blockade on the ability of Americans to get access to cheaper energy. So we're trying to get wind, solar, and battery, which is cheaper than coal energy. He's actually strangled us and tried to kill every single thing project he can get his hands on and preventing Americans from actually getting access to this energy. It's it's a blockade of cheaper energy. And why because he's got this corrupt bargain with the fossil fuel guys who don't want to be undercut by the cheaper energy and cleaner energy, which are these new technologies. So you wrap these things up of cost chaos, corruption, and cleaner energy. That's cheaper energy, and it's a winning message, and I do believe there's going to be racist one on this. Now. The cherry on the top of this is these cheaper sources of energy are cleaner. You get less pollution, you get less asthma for your kids, you get less smoke. So last night, I'm just looking out over a Puget Sound right now, the sun was this orange ball and this thick brown cloud of burning grass and trees that burn up on my state, and we're now all breathing that. So what we're getting for Trump's policy is higher gas prices, corruption, and a difficulty breathing. So those are pretty powerful unifying message.
Speaker 2: Is I think one of the things you said about all these Democrats they're going to running for president, the immense amount of talent that's on the bench for the first time in my lifetime, there will definitely be a multiplicity of candidates. There will be multiple candidates that I wish I could vote for. I think right to be president, but I'm only going to vote be able to vote for one. So I hope that some of them right will have tested their metal on the national stage, will become Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State, secretary of Energy, because we're going to need an incredible turnaround team to do really an extraordinary amount of work, very very quickly and get the country, get the country behind them, and to start rebuilding trust. Do you have any thoughts on that from the from the second a new president takes you out of office?
Speaker 1: What what those what those.
Speaker 2: Requirements are in those first days bye by tone and tenor of what has to be done to set off a season of American renewal and reform.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting. I really haven't thought deeply about this, except to say that Number one, we need plans that are ready well before inauguration day, and I believe we're going to have them. I'm working with several groups now that are designing policies to help move forward after inauguration dates, So those plans are going to be available. By the way, Before I forget this, I want to say this, though, this is endemic of a problem. We have organizations in the United States who can move the needle dramatically on these issues of energy, which are our states, and we should not wait for inauguration day. We shouldn't even wait for this November, we have twenty three governors who are all committed to clean energy futures, all of whom have major ways for states to move these policies forward. I'm involved in what I call the State Power Project, working with governors to enable them to empower them to do some of their state based actions to increase the Americans' access to cheaper and cleaner energy. And we represent sixty percent of the economy of the United States. It's not just the federal government here, it's the United States of America, and we got to look at our governors and our state legislators. Perhaps is the first place to really adopt pro consumer policies on this very very important I just want to make sure to get my or in on that. But the second thing, as far as people who you'll want, there's going to be such a backlog of ideas ready to go, certainly on the clean energies front, that you probably want people who are adept at making decisions quickly with robustness, and who are good leaders who can really move an organization quickly. Organizations usually are like a big ship and it takes a long time to turn around. We're going to need leaders at these agencies who have demonstrated an ability to make fast decisions and fast culture change in an organization. So I guess that's what I'd be looking for, Governor.
Speaker 2: When you think about all of the threats that Trump has made towards the elections, is it important for the twenty three Democratic governors to convene, to gather and to make a statement to the country together and to put considerable effort into how they're going to communicate that statement so that it reaches the country at a tactical level.
Speaker 1: Is this something that has to be done.
Speaker 3: Well, Yes, and it is done. I mean the Democratic Governor Association. I shared this at one time when we picked up more seats we ever had before in twenty eighteen. So it has been a very effective organization. And those conversations do take place, you know, as far as the exact land.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you all need to go sit together, all of the Democratic governors? Should they all be sitting together on a television set on the Today Show on Good Morning America? Should they be holding a joint news conference talking to the American people about the elections that are administered by the states and drawing some very bright white lines about.
Speaker 1: What will and what will not.
Speaker 2: Be tolerated with regard to this insanity that has gone on for eleven years. The notion that it's only a fair our election of Trump wins, and any effort to intimidate voters in the state, which is against every state law and federal law as well.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that could be helpful if they get the airtime. Now half of those people on that forum are going to be running for president, so each of them houses a certain flavor of this. By the way, you bring up this election concern, I am very concerned. I tried to get Congress and the Appropriations to put a provision that Trump could not send uniform camouflage tactical wearing people to suppress votes in Democratic precincts. I was 'enable to get them to do it. I'm very concerned about this. So yes, anything democratic governors can do to blow the whistle and the warning about this is very, very important to try to create political heat for that not to happen. They obviously also have to have plans in place to be in as many courtrooms as possible than minutes if in fact this can happen, and we'll have to have people at the courthouse door with their cell phones ready to walk in to ask for injunctions if Trump starts to play this stuff, and that's certainly what we got to do, and to the extent that we can do that before election day. And I've I've talked to a few attorneys about this. Can we get injunctions even before election day if we can find some evidence of what he's trying to do? Is there a way to get injunctive relief to prevent him from doing it before election day? We certainly should explore that if that's at all possible.
Speaker 2: I was watching the July fourth coverage and they had William Shatner came on did an interview on CNN and Shatner is ninety four years old, and he was great and he says, listen, I've been around for a long time, and so I've seen America go through ups and downs and real bad periods, and it's always come out, It's always come out stronger on the other side. And I just don't have a doubt in my mind. And he was saying it through the eyes of a Canadian as as as well. Talk about your optimism for the for the future. Uh, the precepts of of of stoicism require you to face the situation that you are currently in with a lot of clarity while never losing faith that you can overcome it, that you can persevere over it. How do you how do you see all of this through an optimistic lens?
Speaker 3: Well, there there's a lot of cause. First off, optimism is a healthy approach, right, It's just it's healthy. That's number one. Number two, it's innate. Maybe the way I was born, I've lost I lost two successive races and then came back and was a three term governor and you know, eight term congressman after you know, losing two consecutive races. So maybe if you've had that experience, I got cut from little league. I'm the only American ever cut from a little league but ended up MVP of a congressional baseball game. So you know, I've had some experiences that indicate that one can come back from hardship. But the cause for optimism, the case for it is, let's just start with energy. We have the capability of getting Americans cleaner, cheaper energy. We have that capability today. It is in our hands. It is only a lack of willpower and political strength at the moment to implement these things that are so productive that Americans love. I talked to somebody yesterday that just you know, love's going out to mail mailbox, get the utility bill because it's zero, because they got solar panels on the roof. And you know, they love electric school buses where kids don't have to you know, burn diesel, and you know, and so breed diesel smoke. So number one, there's technological progress on the energy front that is so productive. On the democracy front, there's obvious concern. You know this, since the Civil War, there's only been two coup attempts in American history. When was the Civil War and the second was January sixth, So that certainly has me concerned. But to date, the will to date has been able to be strong enough to stop that another coup. I believe we will succeed on that, but it will take people listening to the warning, acting and being very very vocal on it and insistent and making voting decisions that value democracy. And that is our job to make to make sure. So I believe that we're going to succeed on this, in part because of people like yourself. We've been so stalwart in this regard, so I believe we'll get through this. Ultimately, it's been slower. We've lost, you know, eight years of progress under this guy, so certainly it's been slower. But good things are going to happen.
Speaker 1: Governor, I'll give you the last word.
Speaker 2: Anything you want to want to say out to to save American movement audience, anything you're thinking, ah, we'd love to hear it.
Speaker 3: One thing I didn't touch on is that one of the things that we should be concerned about is people's efforts to game the system to prevent fire victims from being able to rebuild. Right now, Americans have the ability to hold the oil and gas industry accountable for their failures or utilities failures if they cause these fires, and their efforts now to take away that American right to bar them and to put themselves above the law. Nobody should be above the law in America, right but there's an active effort to get immunity for the only gas industry for the losses that they've caused for these people whose homes have burned down. Just one more thing we got to work on. Since this is the warning, I'm just alerting people to that one. We've got to defeat that effort. And I want to thank you personally for your work. It has been very successful and it's meant a lot. I was a fan of John McCain's. I stood shoulder to shoulder with Senata McCain when we introduced the first meaningful energy legislation in Congress back in two thousand and six or two thousand and seven, and and you continuing the integrity bringing this to discussion has been really valuable. So thank you for what you're doing.
Speaker 2: That means a lot of Governor. You know what I would say, I'd love to have you back and continue on the conversation. I think one of the most unifying threads in American life that can grow a coalition is what you just talked about. The truth of the matter is the America that I grew up in, nobody was above or below the law, at least on paper.
Speaker 1: Not true anymore. On paper.
Speaker 2: The presidents above the law. Tech companies are above the law. There are new categories of companies against the law. And I think the Democratic Party is a winning party when it's the party that is fighting for the ordinary American, the American workingman, and woman, the American family farmer. And there is an accumulation of power in too few hands, in too few places that is perfectly encapsulated by FDR's famous speech denouncing the new Economic Royalists at the nineteen thirty six Democratic Convention. And that's what has to be broken up or the concentrations of power, the concentrations of wealth that have become very aggressive, have become understrained, and have imposed on the American people the deteriorating quality.
Speaker 1: Of life that has to be.
Speaker 2: Interrupted by the power of government, by the power of the people.
Speaker 3: Here here I'll look forward to when you're right, maybe the next inaugural speech, and look for some good language.
Speaker 2: Governor Jay Insley, everybody, the Save American Movement, thank you. As always. I'm Steve Schmidt with the warning. And it is August the fifth of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Have a good day, well,