Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: AI is just like the world's biggest sampler. It's sampled everything, whether it's books, language. The machine is freaking amazing, but humans are even more amazing. We made the machine.
Speaker 1: Will I Am, musician and technologist. You don't ever worry about like the amount of material being scraped, that being AI generated versions of yours. You can accept that you're.
Speaker 2: Asking the wrong question, the question you should ask you. Are you worried that you don't own your voice? Everybody, not just musicians, every single person needs to own their data, their essence, their likeness. You got to use your imagination and push industries to protect people in this new realm that we're in.
Speaker 1: From Bloomberg Weekend. This is the Michelle Hussein Showl Hussein. It's now more than thirty years since a group came together in Los Angeles who went on to become known all over the world as the Black Eyed Peas. For that entire time, they've had the same frontman, will I Am, who was raised by a single mother, and in fact it is with her that his long and deep journey into music began, because when he was fourteen, she bought him a Boombox, and by seventeen he had a record deal. Since then, he has won multiple Grammys and he's produced other artists too. But what I think is really intriguing about him, certainly compared to many others in the creative industries, is his attitude not only to technology but to AI. Essentially, he wants to be at the forefront of that change. He's founded his own tech company, Fyi dot Ai. He teaches a college class on AI, and he believes in the capacity and the power of these tools to assist human creativity. We met in can where he was on a European tour with the PS and I was curious where he would put the boundaries on AI, set the parameters if you like, to a world which many other creatives see as a threat to their rights, image, voice, ultimately livelihoods. So here's what happened. When I sat down with Will I am thank you for taking the time.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: I know you're in the middle of your tool.
Speaker 2: You know it's like summer vacation, but it must.
Speaker 1: Take quite a lot out of you know, the travel, the.
Speaker 2: No, it's not working.
Speaker 1: Well, that's great to know. Okay, is everyone happy?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Okay, so thank you for fitting us in. Thank You're an incredibly busy man, and you have these parallel career, not just music, which everyone probably knows you best for, but tech with your own company FYIAI and the course you're leading at Arizona State University, which is also by AI. So there's loads for us to talk about. Can I tell you first the moment that stayed with me as I was preparing for this conversation. It was watching the video for one of your songs, I'm Abe and you're showing the other piece a computer, but you're the way you're talking about it stayed with me because you're saying, this artificial intelligence, this is what's going to take the PS into three thousand and eight. And it was hearing you say artificial intelligence sixteen years ago when not many people were thinking in those terms.
Speaker 2: It's like in that video we described an LM. It's like you take the entire English vocabulary, you take my high notes, my law notes, and the noise, and with this artificial intelligence, you type in your lyrics and this thing produces, it sings it. So we pretty much predict. Did you know what we now know as text to music? Your udios, your SunOS of the world, your Larias of the world, and thank you Professor Patrick Winston from MIT Rest in Peace. Professor Patrick Winston used to let me sit in his class from two thousand and six, seven eight nine. Whenever a Black Eyed Peas would tour Boston, I would go to sit in the MIT lab.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, he let you in. But you were interested enough to be there. And I'm wondering what made you so aware of the future for you know and with the next stage at all? At all of that time, are you particularly tuned into technology and its potential and its opportunity.
Speaker 2: I like any type of tool, whether it's a synthesizer, a keyboard, a traditional piano. I like a drum machine. But then when I got my hands on my MacBook and pro tools, that's when I was transfixed. That's when I was like, Wow, what is this world? And that ha is what made me interested in AI Like wow, if I'm typing into the computer and outcomes like images or sound, eventually I'm going to talk to the computer and the computer's going to talk back, and it's going to in that ping pong, that banter, that brainstorm, it's going to make exactly what I have in my mind. It's kind of like magic abra cadabra.
Speaker 1: And when you started making music back in your teens with a boombox, and I think your mom, your mom got for you. How did it feel then? Did it feel magical in its own way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The idea of that I could record something from a radio station and then put it in a separate cassette and then loop the part that I liked and then put that in the other cassette and then get the headphones, put it in the mic, and then wrap into that. Like that to me was like, wow, look look look what I can do. Ma. She's like, boy, who taught you got to do that? I'm like, I don't know. I think it probably aw somebody do it. It's like we didn't have the Internet. Yes, I did come for those Internet.
Speaker 1: I was there too, so we managed. Did your mom encourage you? What was her attitude to your music?
Speaker 2: Oh? So my mom? My mom always sends me like, I'll read the text message from my mom. She she wrote me this, I gotta scroll up. I was like, I love you, Mom. Thanks for designing me, Thanks for investing in me, Thanks for developing me. Thanks for believing in me and protecting me and loving me. You drip me up and here I am. I am your will, not because my name is Will, but also what she willed. She's like, as I always said to you, when there's a will, there's a way, and you are will. Will keeps finding ways and answers. Just know I still believe in you. You have many levels to go. Keep dreaming, but never stop dreaming. So my mom is always like, oh you think you finished, You ain't finished. So my mom is like the coach on the side, like.
Speaker 1: So she's always pushing you on beyond.
Speaker 2: She's the one who taught me how to like are you here or are you still over there? Come out of that be here.
Speaker 1: I guess some of that must come from the fact that she had a tough time in her life herself, right when she was raising you. Times we were not easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're in a nightmare, you dream out the nightmare. The way to get out of a nightmare is you manually vividly change the dream, and then you have to work your way backward how to materialize that awesome imagination that took you out of your like worry, your conundrum your angst and the way to get out of that anks is sometimes it's okay to have a healthy day dream, but then how do you take that dream reverse engineering and make it reality.
Speaker 1: And by seventeen you had a record deal. So your dreams when you were a teenager. At seventeen, you had a massive prize in your life, something that must have been so unusual, like you know, your peers, your community, so an incredible achievement. How did it feel.
Speaker 2: So there's this guy by the name of Stephan Gordy. Stephan Gordy's dad is Barry Gordy, and he and I went to school together. So one day I come to school like remember that tape when I used to make my little tapes.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I come to school. I'm like, Yo, give this to your dad. I want to get a record deal. And he was like, I can't give my dad your demo. I was like, come on, it's Stefferen And so when I finally got a record deal just two years later, I eventually signed Steffanto my label Red Food from LMFAO party Rockers in the house tonight anyway, So one day we were sitting at the Grammys with Stephan, his dad, Barry Gordy, and then myself and Barry Gordy's like, I want to thank you so much for believing in my son. I'm churrer label. I'm like, yo, Barry went, we went in ninth grade. I try to give my demo to Stephan to give to you, and I grew up with his son and then signed his son to my label.
Speaker 1: How did he react when you said that to him?
Speaker 2: Oh? He told me yes, Steffen told me that, you know, but we were at the grammy, so the conversation quickly changed. But it just goes to show, like look into your dream, go to the settings and figure out how that dream actually is operating, and then reverse engineered it. You know, how you could prompt gpt or anthropic and then outcomes an image you could prompt it. Get the right prompt life is the same way you could prompt your life. And prompting your life is not words, it's people. The way you put the words together to get the prompt the results. It's the people you put in your life to get the results.
Speaker 1: Is this what you're pouring into the course you're teaching at Arizona State Because I know you've said that the course is called your Agentic, so the agentic self, and so obviously there's a link to AI in that. But I think you've said that through that course you've found where the love is obviously a reference to one of your most famous songs.
Speaker 2: That was a stage in my life when it was the scariest stage in my life. What do I mean by that? I was scared as all hell preparing for that stage of teaching but then also play on word stage. That was the scariest stage in my life because I've never done that before. Like, we would have rehearsals and I would like, not come out. People would be like, where's will I? And I would be like, oh, I'll be there. I'll be there and I'll call my mom And how many people out there waiting? I'm like, mine's like seven people out there wait for me. And I'm like, heart's beating fast. I don't like. I don't like when my heart beats fast because then it triggers angst. She's like, what are you so nervous about? I'm like, what's gonna happen if there's a smarty pants somebody that's an expert? It okay? What will happen if you're at a concert and somebody is really good, Are you gonna give them? I'm like, yeah, you're supposed to share the stage, right, I'm like yeah, You're like, well, that's what you do in class. And so from there I realized that I should write my chorus like a song. I have my opening monologue, what's wrong with the world, Mama, people living like they ain't got no mama? As I put out the problem, and then the chorus is when I open up the class for questions on my monologue, and then the second verse is the second hour, and then we do the chorus again, and the third verse is the closing. I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder as I get older, you old people. If there is the song that I've I wrote and produced that should reflect how I teach the chorus, it will be Where's the Love? Because Where's of Love is about asking questions and then searching for that to answers to that question, because Where's Love is just a question song. When humanity goes wrong, people go to that song. So I'm like, oh, shocks, I've done. I've done some version of this. So whereas the Love is how I teach the course, a gentic self is telling people to ask who are you in this new world that we're living, and how much of you are you going to give to the machine? What do you hold sacred? What do you want to do with the machine? And in this case, the machine is yours. Your data is yours. There's never been a container to put your data in up until your own person or agent. You have a house, right, you don't share it with your neighbors. You wouldn't buy a house that didn't have its own restroom, So why are you sharing your AI with everybody else?
Speaker 1: But you have one of those platforms yourself?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: FYI?
Speaker 2: Your data is yours?
Speaker 1: Okay, So the protection of data is important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't go into your account and be like, hey, can you go? We can't do that. Your data is your data. Your agent is your agent, and we believe that's like I have my immune system, I got my digestive system. These are things that are ours. Shouldn't your AI system be just as much yours as as your other systems are?
Speaker 1: But then what about AI and music? Because you're an investor in AI companies, including even one of the ones that's been in its own like legal battles with some of the record labels, And so I wonder where you draw the line in that, like, do you worry about the volume of music nowadays which is totally AI generated?
Speaker 2: No, not everything. I come from hip hop. And if you heard a song like pump It, I sample that from dig Dale, Misery lou And and I wrote my song on top of that. I reinforced the drums. So for me to have like a hyper criticism on AI that samples everything, when I sampled a lot of things to make my songs, that would be hypocritical. AI is just like the world's biggest sampler. It sampled everything, whether it's books, language. I think it's not the technology that you should be like, what's going on there, it's a business model.
Speaker 1: When people, including colleagues of yours in the industry, other high profile figures, say AI is an assault on human creativity, you don't agree.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, because your boxing creativity to how an industry told you you should create. Before the record industry, what was a song? What was everybody singing in twelve twenty six, thirteen twenty six, what was the village freaking melody?
Speaker 1: There would have been something.
Speaker 2: No, No, no, but what was it?
Speaker 1: No idea?
Speaker 2: Okay, in fifteen twenty six, after the printing press, the first industry, which is publishing. Fourteen forty nine came the printing press, and from there we got our heroes like Bach and Beethoven. They were the superstars of that industry. And from fifteen twenty six, sixteen twenty six, seventeen twenty six, eighteen, four hundred freaking years of the printing press, no record industry. And the way that music was spread out was printing music so that conductors could conduct, and violins are sold, violas were sold, basilicas were built, no amplifiers, just amphitheaters. And then the record industry came. You know what people said about the recordustry, What do you mean you're gonna bring the song into the house, No orchestra. We've been here before. But what came because of the record player? The record industry. And you're assuming that AI is supposed to mimic the recording, No, it's not. It's supposed to create a new industry. New types of experiences are supposed to come, not just recordings recordings for the record industry. You're supposed to use AI to dream up the new experience is just right. Now, what's the first thing they can think of? Well, let's do do recordings. This is where creators is supposed to be, Like oh oh oh, this is the new playing field.
Speaker 1: Do you mean like it's almost like a call to action for better creativity or.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't give a how awesome AI is. It cannot outpace my creativity. It's not imagining. It's a regurgitation of imaginations. So people are afraid, like, oh my god, it's it's gonna it's gonna what it's gonna what it's gonna mimic, it's gonna reproduce what's already been produced. I believe that critical thinking and like renting out your imagination and being purposeful is our AI proof. You know, pathways to be of service. Music will always be And even in AI with this onslaught of like how much songs do AI produce every single year, every single week, every single month, every single quarter, every single year. There's more AI music than human made music. There's more on the Internet. The Internet way it used to be is not the way it is now. There's just as many, if not more bots online than there are people. So this means live events, Broadway theater, real performance. When I say real, I'm talking about human sweat, human rents out. It's gonna be the most sought after, valuable form of entertainment. At least that's what I hope, because damn, the machine is freaking amazing, but humans are even more amazing. It's no longer gonna be about good. It's gonna be about values. It's gonna be like what is what's precious? AI is great, it's fast, but human like sweat. We gotta value that just as much.
Speaker 1: You don't ever worry about like the amount of the amount of material being scrape or your voice or your life, likeness being AI generated versions of yours. You can accept that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you're asking the wrong question the question you should ask. Are you worried that you don't own your voice? Do you worry that there's no likeness in essence industry? You know I have a credit card? I have a credit card. One hundred years ago, this didn't exist. Fifty years ago, American Express didn't exist the way it exists right now. There wasn't digits and this freaking little chip that didn't exist. So what is the equivalent of that form an essence and likeness. So everybody, not just musicians, every single person needs to own their data, their essence, their likeness. There needs to be industries. You got to use your imagination and push to have industries to protect people in this new realm that we're in. Here's another thing too, one thing you said about AI music. Humans need their own file. Right now, AI music and AI video shares the same MP three MP four file as humans. That ain't right. It takes AI seconds to make something and it's valued the same. Why is that? Why should that? Why should an MP three that an AI made be valued the same fraction of a penny than somebody's song that took them weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and months. But how can you validate human sweat to make something? That means? We need a lived experience file, Like drummers are gonna drum with the freaking watch and they're gonna have biometrics that is connected to that file. That biometrics is connected and connected to the location and time and perspiration, and so when that file is up on a DSP, it should be worth more than an MP three file. Who's to say that an AI song is worth the same as a human song. In order to do that, human files need to be sacred to human creations. And let Ai keep MP three's and waves and ai ff.
Speaker 1: So that's an argument for better labeling. It's like clear, so the.
Speaker 2: Market, let Ai b ai. But what if I just want to go on a studio with humans and create. Is it going to be the same file? And why should it? Why should it be the same file, and why should it be worth the same? It should be worth more. Give more incentives for people to create human made stuff and let Ai be ai. That's great. You need something that differentiates it from the other stuff, and that file I call it the POL, the proof of life file. So this song dot pol right now on on a on DSPs, it's Where's a Love dot wave? Or Where's the Love dot MP three or MP four on YouTube? We need a Where's a love dot pol because that has human biometrics connected to it and a location and a timestamp on a Ledger, and it should be worth more than just compute output.
Speaker 1: I remember when Where's the Love came out? It was a couple of months after the Iraq War.
Speaker 2: We wrote it after nine to eleven and then yeah, the song came out a couple of months after the Iraq War you're.
Speaker 1: At and today, like, how how do you feel about this moment when there's another wall that the US has been involved in in the Middle East? Have you been thinking about the song again in that context or when it's part of your tour and your performances today? Do you think people are putting that lens on it in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: You could use that for any time there's human error. It's a prescription for like reflection. Every time there's human error, we could sing where's the Love to ourselves to make sure we're on the right path.
Speaker 1: And what do you think of when you perform it now? Do you think of then or the present moment?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, we think of the present. We reflect on the things that are happening in the world. It's what keeps us grounded in the work that we do in the community. My foundation is rooted in the words that we believe in and Where's Love? I am Angel foundation is rooted in that so that folks and communities that have been neglected have pathways to success.
Speaker 1: Well, finally, what gives you the most joy today? Is it making music or is it the teaching and the being part of like imparting everything you're passionate about to a younger generation.
Speaker 2: The thing that gives me the most joy is moments like when I when I id eated on the po L I'm like, wait, wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, that that don't exist and we should have it.
Speaker 2: I just dreamt that don't that don't exist? Like that type of stuff, and pushing my mind to like dream up the undreamt and landing on some version of like wait, I love that. I love creating at high speed, not regurgitating what I used to do.
Speaker 1: And is your mom gonna let you keep on the tracks your honor? Is she going to push you to break new ground and do something?
Speaker 2: She's always She's always like, and what's she going to do in the X She's always she's always like, I love our banters.
Speaker 1: What are you going to do next?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna teach for the next twenty years. I'm gonna do that. I want to. I've done the voice for like almost fifteen years, and I think there's like a there's a show that that can exist from my teaching that feels like the voice, that feels like the apprentice. That's purpose base. It's like pushing folks, encouraging folks, mentoring folks to supercharge their imagination to go out and solve the world's problems with the agent that they build. Would love to make a show like that.
Speaker 1: I look forward to seeing it. Thank you so much, Thank you, thank you. Will take care. I'm looking forward to seeing that next stage.
Speaker 2: This is going to be on the internet.
Speaker 1: I very much will be.
Speaker 2: You guys got a bleep machine because I that's not.
Speaker 1: My problem, that's Louise's. That's it, and that's where we left it. If you don't know the song, where is the Love? It is worth seeking out. I rediscovered it while I was preparing for this conversation and you might even have caught it live as the peas toward this summer special. Thanks this week to Alex Israel, Harry Syd and our Bloomberg Media team at the Canlon Festival for recording this episode, which you can also watch by the way on Bloomberg dot com or YouTube, And so to the team producers Jessica Beck and Chris martlou video producer Andy Hayward, with guest booking by Elan Bird, and social media by Alex Morgan. Our music was composed by Bart Warshaw. Louisa Lewis is the executive producer and at Bloomberg Weekend thanks to Brendan Francis Newnham and our executive editor Catherine Bell. Until next time, goodbye,