Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Buffalo Bills need a new head coach, so to a few other teams. Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback will stop buy in twenty minutes. But Buffalo has said goodbye to Sean McDermott after nine years eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Super Bowl odds, it's Seattle, then it's the Rams, Patriots, the Broncos a distant fourth, certainly with the bow Knicks injury, the Patriots favored by five and a half. Broncos would have been favored by one had Bownicks been able to play. The Rams they're getting two and a half as they faced the Seahawks again National Title game. Oh, by the way, National Title Game. Miami getting seven and a half against Indiana. And the prices of these tickets are skyrocketing. The last seventy two hours, they've gone up twenty three p President Trump will be there and they're trying to encourage people to get there at least three hours in advance. Stat of the day brought to you by the great folks in Panini America. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. This hour brought to you by z Kleiner. It's a new sponsor revolutionary recliner designed by Flex Steel. The z Cliner engineered with RESTful sleep in mind, making it an ideal bed alternative. A healthy life starts with a great night's sleep. Visit zkliner dot com slash Dan Patrick Today to find a z cliner at a store near you. Todd says, well, if the ravens could fire, John Harbaugh and the Bills could fire, Sean McDermott, could you move on from us? And I said no, Well, you guys are safe, Todd, I wouldn't move on from you. Is that anyone safe? Yes? Everybody is safe. Wow, everybody is safe in this room. Okay, if you choose to leave, like if you step down, like Mike Tomlin, then now good luck. You're dead. To me, just letting you know, slightly harsh, but no, no, but you're all safe. Of course, we're a team, all right.
Speaker 3: That's lovely. I appreciate the way you put that.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, yes, Paul, if one of the guys stepped down, would you issue a lovely statement thank you for the many years of Service.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and you're dead to me. Yes, and you're dead to me. All right. Seaton Poll question for the final hour of the program is what.
Speaker 5: Losing team from the weekend that has the most biggest issues issue. The Texans have fifty one percent of that vote. Quarterback that had the most difficult time sleeping last night Josh Allen, followed by C. J. Stroud And then which team will regret firing their head coach? Maybe firing not the right words since Mike Tomlin stepped down, but we put the Steelers on there right now. It is the Ravens, followed by the Bills. They're kind of neck and neck.
Speaker 6: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll talk about those coaching vacancies. And Kevin Stefanski as predicted what an upgrade or as as I told you that John Harball. John Harball was looking at either the Falcons or the Giants, and I said, Stefanski will get the other job. Harball takes the Giants, Stefanski takes the Atlanta Falcons. Great situation. Great situation. Now, I know you don't really have a quarterback because you've got two quarterbacks there, but it feels like that's an upgrade and you get an offensive minded coach in there, and maybe they unleash their true potential there. But you know these guys now you look around Mike McDonald in Seattle, Mike Rabel in New England. You know Ben Johnson, like you don't get that much time to come in and be like, all right, we're going to the playoffs. Right, it's what Rabel did. I don't know if I'm more Is there another story turnaround more surprising than what Brabel did this year? Ben Johnson, that's a good team. The Patriots weren't a good team. I thought the Bears were standing in the way of the Bears. I thought that the Bears were a playoff team. Seattle pretty surprising anybody else in there that you go, Wow, that's a crazy turnaround. Carolina made the playoffs.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: How about Jacksonville? Would you put Jacksonville over the Patriots? Now? I wouldn't, as although you know, maybe Liam Cohen is going to save Trevor Lawrence's career and you end up with thirteen wins. Feels like Jacksonville's supposed to be competitive. New England wasn't. And then Rabel gets there. You got a second year quarterback, and here you are in the ANFC title game, Seattle. I think we were kind of trying to figure out just how good they were. You know, it was going to be defense and running the football, and then they get Sam Darnold. I have to factor that in as well. But if you would have said, of all these scenarios here, hey, New England's going to be an AFC title game, Seattle's going to be in the NFC Title game, Jacksonville is going to be a force this year, I still go back to Carolina made the playoffs, I know, with a losing record in a bad division. But I would say the Patriots are the biggest surprise. Yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 4: Last year the Patriots offense was thirtieth in the league, their defense was twenty second. This year, their offense is second in the league and scoring and their defense is fourth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a huge turnaround. Obviously, Yes, Todd and people could say.
Speaker 7: All they want they had a weaker schedule, it's still fourteen and three and playoff wins and one win away from the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: That's kind of insane. Celebrate Martin Luther King Day on NBC in Peacock with a full day of basketball NBA action all day long Monday on NBC and streaming on peacock. A couple of phone calls in here best and worst of the season, our best and worst of the weekend. I was going to say the season with what happened with some of these teams that had playoff hopes. But the stakes are higher, and it feels like ownership looks around and goes, well, wait a minute, why can't we do that? And next year at this time there probably will be six or seven openings. After this year with all these openings, and you're going, can we have that many? Can we have a third of the NFL? You know, almost a third of these coaching vacancies? Yeah, Mark, It's going.
Speaker 7: To be the same thing with college football. Also, I'm sure if you're Arkansas or Mississippi State, Indiana got to the national championship game, let's do something.
Speaker 2: But you know, it is interesting that, you know, it used to be there were the same schools that were playing in the playoffs and winning national championships. Now all of a sudden, I get to pay players too, and now we've leveled the playing field. You know, Mark Cuban became a big donor for Indiana football, Like you have to have that. It's just you know, that is your power point. Like we have to have money. You have to have people, you know, collectives, billionaire, whoever it is, Texas Tech. You get one guy in there who's going to write a check, that's what you need. And the fact that we're getting close to forty million dollars with sort of the operating budget per year not sustainable. I mentioned this earlier in the show. Friday. College Football Playoff committee is expected to announce whether they're going to go to sixteen teams or they'll stay at twelve. And what I learned was the Big Ten once a commitment that says a firm agreement that you will go sixteen, sixteen, sixteen the next three years, and then after that you'll go to twenty four teams. And that doesn't seem like a lot to ask, all right, So at least we didn't go twelve, then to sixteen, then to twenty four. You give it three more years and then you see if you're ready to go to twenty four teams. I mean, that's where they're going. It's just sixteen, sixteen, sixteen, that's what the Big Ten wants. Let's see Nick and Irvine. Hi, Nick, welcome back.
Speaker 8: Again. Always an honor to talk to you. Hall of Famer. Listen, great great weekend. Got to watch the La Rams yesterday at the bicycle casino eating and drinking, and Oldlasme's compadres over at the bike playing one to three no limit.
Speaker 2: My work is found a little roughed up.
Speaker 8: Nick. Yeah, well, you know I've been sober for about three four hours.
Speaker 2: So well, congratulation on your sobriety.
Speaker 9: Got a lastful about that pregame tonight.
Speaker 8: So my worst of the weekend has to be even as a Raider fan and of course a humanitarian, I hate the Broncos, but that kid, that quarterback on the Broncos, he threw two of the best balls I've really ever seen. I mean, it was incredible, those passes, and I was really looking forward to watching him in the championship game and to hear that he got mixed out of that was a disappointment. So that was my worst. My best for the eleventh consecutive week and this time snuggling with Danica Patrick and Dodger Hall of Fame fan Mary Hart on my couch was watching the Dodgers once again, come back in the World Series in Game seven and win it. So until someone dethrones that, it's going to be my best every weekend. It's probably going to be Opening Day for the Dodgers. That'll be my best of the week.
Speaker 2: Right Well, thank you, Nick, congratulations again on your Dodgers. Boy. The number of articles that talked about how the Dodgers are ruining baseball, they took advantage of an opportunity that, like, I can't fault them. I don't think they have to dumb down their organization just because nobody else is going to be able to spend that money. There are other billionaires. The Dodgers outsmarted a lot of people the show Heyo Tani deferred payment contract. Now, I'm wondering if Baseball will try to firm up that loophole there, But I don't know. You know, what can baseball do? What does Baseball want to do? Salaries? Salary cap Player Association won't allow that to happen, and it might define the legacy of this commissioner. Is he able to bring some kind of financial sanity to the game, And I don't know if he can, I don't know if he wants to. I get. I mean, you want to have as many teams. That's why we love the NFL because you can get Carolina in there. Jacksonville turns it around. New England turns it around. You can reap benefits of doing things the correct way while everybody is playing by the same rules. But I still go back to the Dodgers were two ounces away from not winning the World Series.
Speaker 4: Yes, pauling the Dodgers spending is the tush push of baseball. All the other teams want it gone. But how do you penalize for the Dodgers for doing something that's completely legal under the rules today.
Speaker 2: Well, Buffalo certainly used the tush push a lot, but four or five times yesterday. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Dan got a bess in and Worst of the weekend, real quick best. Even though they lost PAULI, I still think the Bears have got a lot to cheer about, and they're going into the off season. I still think they're the favorite to maybe when the NFC North next year. They beat the Packers, so I would say that that's that is that could be their Super Bowl this year, and then wor's the weekends obviously, Marvin's Niners losing in Seattle. I was just just a complete blowout, and I really hope maybe they come back next year and maybe it's become a contender there.
Speaker 2: So thank you, all right, And I saw I don't know if they were reports, So I'm always very careful about this because somebody can kind of speculate, you know, it can go hey, you know what about and then it becomes a report and it's not but Aaron Rodgers to the Vikings because I don't think the Vikings are sold on Jay J. McCarthy, but they I think they toyed with the idea of Aaron Rodgers. Aaron wanted to go there and then ended up in Pittsburgh. But I wonder if he wants to play again. Is Minnesota an option? Greg and Buffalo, Hi, Greg, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 2: Good morning, Dan.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to chime in locally on the whole Bill situation that came about today. You haven't mentioned Bill's GM Brandon Bean at all, and I can tell you here in Western New York he is the one that people by far have been wanting to be fired more than Sean McDermott. Brandon Bean has a lot of goodwill this year, and it started when he went on a local radio spot after the draft, and so complaining about wide receivers is one of the dumbest things he's ever heard. Now a year prior, he took Coleman with a thirty third pick in the draft, and he was getting healthy, scratched in the playoff, pushed down the strutch in the regular season. So not only this is wide receiver room construction ben malpractice, but they have money and resources go lower into the defensive line and it has not worked, especially in the playoffs. And look, I know Seawn was the scapegoat and steam taskcor is right about what an ambassador Sean's been for Buffalo and Western New York. But in the end, this is about roster construction and depth. And one last thing Dan you mentioned, I know with John Elway in those early Super Bowls, how he didn't maybe have those offensive teammates around him, those high end players compared to later he obviously had TD and Shannon and all that. Since drafting Josh in twenty eighteen, the Bills have drafted fifty six players. Only two have gone to make the Pro Bowl, Dawson Knox and James Cook. Having the rest of your week, guys, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, Greg, I appreciate that. Yes, Paulie multiple reports to the GM, Brandon Beans the Bills. He not only didn't get fired, he got a promotion. He's now president of football Operations.
Speaker 2: In addition to GM oh I was going to say, maybe they got him out of the GM spot. Yeah, that's tricky though, when you keep the GM when you bring in a coach and John Harball I think is fine with Joe Shane as the GM with the Giants, but I don't know. It took him a few days to get that contract done. All right, let me take a break. Albert Breer his job is to well one of his jobs is to keep an eye on the coaching vacancies. And we'll ask him, was Buffalo going to do this no matter what? Now they got to the Super bowl'd be pretty hard to send him packing. But at what point do you make a decision you're going to fire Sean McDermott and also these other coaching vacancies because you got some really blue chip openings here with Pittsburgh, with Buffalo, with Baltimore. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick's show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey is Covino and Rich from Fox Sports Radio Now. In addition to hearing us live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, we're excited to announce a brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: Yup, that's right.
Speaker 11: You can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube every day. All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube again, go to YouTube search Covino and Rich FSR. Check us out on YouTube, subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up on this Monday. As we always do best and worst through the weekend, which you saw that you liked you didn't like. To update the poll results as well, we bring in the senior NFL reporter for the Monday Morning quarterback, Albert Breer, back on the program. I guess it turns out that Sean McDermott was coaching for his job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how's your Monday morning going?
Speaker 2: Still employed?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That I I would say, I, I I'm surprised, but I think there were and I think he was surprised, but there were some tea leaves, you know. I think Josh Allen's emotional press conference. I think McDermott you could kind of see, you know, with the criticism of the officials the first time and then coming back the second time. I think you kind of feel.
Speaker 3: That there was heat on everybody there, you know, and that the window to.
Speaker 6: Win a championship, like the owners were feeling that and feeling the pressure of being within that. And you know, I think a couple of months ago I used the Tony Dungee comparison with you Dan, and I think it's an apt one, you know. I That's the way I see this is, you know, Sean McDermott did a ton of good in Buffalo. They had me been to the playoffs in eighteen years, you know, he was there for nine. They make it an eight of those nine years, seven in a row, five AFC's titles, two AFC Championship games, a franchise quarterback, like all these things were unimaginable for the Bills when he got there. But you know, the same way it was with Tony Dungee when he rebuilt the Bucks. You know, the owners down there felt this shrinking window with that team they had with you know, Derek Brooks and Lawren Sapp and John Lynch and Rendez Barber, and I think sort of the same thing with a quarterback in Buffalo. You know, there's a feeling like we're not going to get a million shots at this, so.
Speaker 3: We need to strike while the iron's hot.
Speaker 2: So what's Buffalo do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a great question. This is I think a once in a lifetime opportunity for a coach, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But Baltimore is as well. Right.
Speaker 6: I just look at like this with Josh Allen and the chance to do this and compete for a championship, Like if this job were to come open again in three or four years, with the amount of damage he's taken, like, we don't know that it's gonna be the same Josh Allen, you know. So if I'm the bill, I'm taking full advantage of that. And that means you're going to interview all the usual suspects, the names that we've heard, you know, over the course of the last couple of weeks, and there's some really good candidates out there, some of them on the defensive side of the ball, which you know, maybe the Bills shy away from that now because they just did spend nine years going down that path with McDermott.
Speaker 3: But why not take big swings if you're Buffalo?
Speaker 2: Why not just see well?
Speaker 3: I mean, we'll call the Rams call.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying those guys that be available, but you know, when you have that quarterback and you're in this situation and you might be able to entice something just to see how their situation is, why wouldn't you do it?
Speaker 3: I mean, I got it.
Speaker 6: This is the way I look at it right Like it's like if I'm if I'm Buffalo, I'm looking at this and I'm saying, like we are in a once in a lifetime window.
Speaker 3: This is a really hard place to be.
Speaker 6: We got a quarterback who harry an incredibly heavy load this year, and we want to take some of that off of him.
Speaker 3: And we can offer somebody.
Speaker 6: The chance to do that and compete for championships right away with a roster that's still pretty good and has a lot of young pieces on it, I think you have to take advantage of that. Opportunity and what that opportunity looks like. You know, it's gonna be in the eye of the beholder. But I mean, the one thing I can't shake is, like Josh Allen turning thirty this offseason, there's the chance for someone to get in there and compete for championships right away and change the narrative on Josh Allen and.
Speaker 3: The Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 6: And if you're going to make this bold move to get rid of a coach that accomplished that much over nine years, I think your higher has to be bold as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, but why wouldn't we say the same thing about Baltimore. They've got the two time MVP in Lamar Johnson.
Speaker 3: I'd agree. I just I.
Speaker 6: It's fair, it's a fair it's a fair thing to say. I just think if you look at Baltimore's success, it goes past Lamar, right, And they've always been so stable and able to build for so long.
Speaker 3: And they've got Eric DaCosta, who was.
Speaker 6: Groomed by Auzie Newsome for the job, and this is this has been who the Ravens are for twenty five years. And they found John Harbob like kind of going an unconventional route, and so I think it's a little different. There's just some nuance there where, Like I think with Baltimore as good as Lamar is, and I think Lamar is great, you know what I think of Lamar. I think it's just a little bit of a different spot than Buffalo where you look at it and it's just so much has been built around that one player, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Where, Man, if we've.
Speaker 6: Invested this much to getting it getting it right with the quarterback, we need to get the coach right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Baltimore is a better job.
Speaker 6: I think it's probably fair too, because of the stability to franchise and everything else.
Speaker 2: I think they're a better team. You know, Buffalo I didn't think was a great team.
Speaker 3: Are you worried about Lamar's injuries?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's the thing is like, that's the thing you have to sort of assess, you know.
Speaker 2: But would you hire Mike McDaniel in Buffalo?
Speaker 3: I think about it.
Speaker 2: Would you hire Brian Dable?
Speaker 6: I think about it, and the reason why I just I look at like so many things and Dave Ball's got the built in relationship with Josh, so that's a factor of course, Dave Ball's also from Western New York. He understands the market, like I think he'd be good in that job. Watching the Bills this year, everything looks like harder than it should be, you know what I mean? Did you get that sense to watching them? So they got to do something at receiver. I think they got to do something to give Josh. I can still remember this, and like with Ben Roethlisberger, right, So Todd Haley came in, and this was when Arian's left for the Colts in and twelve, and so Todd Haley came in and that was after eight years of Ben Roethlisberger, right, and two Super Bowl wins. And he looked at Ben and said, he's not going to last if he keeps playing this way. And so you know, they they had kind of assembled this young group of receivers that Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders and you know, Todd Haley kind of taking the tack. We got to make things easier on this guy, and we got we got to create more layups on him for him, and we got to.
Speaker 3: Kind of transform who he is as a quarterback.
Speaker 6: And I think that that's going to be part of the job for the next coach is like, how do we create like a second phase of Josh Allen's career where he doesn't have like in the playoffs, three different injuries on the on the injury report at the end of a playoff week.
Speaker 3: Right, how do we do that?
Speaker 6: And you know, I remember having a lot of conversations with Todd Haley about that, you know, back then. That was fourteen years ago now, but I think some of the same principles apply, where you know, you want to try to create a situation for your quarterback where you're you're making things easier on him.
Speaker 3: It doesn't look quite as hard.
Speaker 6: Anymore, and you know, you're you're almost generating a second phase of his career.
Speaker 2: Talking to Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback senior NFL reporter, are we close to any of these vacancies being filled?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think Miami could be soon. I think Tennessee could be soon. You know, Miami's got a couple of guys in this morning. Jeff Hafley is going to be in this afternoon. He worked with their new general manager, John Eric Sullivan in Green Bay. He's been sort of the leader in the clubhouse for a few days now. Hathley's also got the opportunity to go to Tennessee, and I think whether or not he takes that trip, you're gonna hear.
Speaker 3: About that later today, you know.
Speaker 6: And I just think, you know, like it's it may come down to Hafley saying, I really want to take a look at the Tennessee job, which one's better, or I'm gonna take the bird in the hand with a general manager that I know in John Eric Sullivan.
Speaker 3: Tennessee's accelerating their process as well.
Speaker 6: They were supposed to have Robert Sala, the forty nine ers defensive coordinator, for a zoom yesterday. They rescheduled that as an in person interview today. They're very interested in Sala. They've got Naggy back in for a second interview again. Hathley supposed to come in tomorrow. And those are the three known finalists at this point.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think they like Athley quite a bit.
Speaker 6: They like Saw, They've got the relationship with Naggie, Mike Borgonzi does from Kansas City, and what they're looking for in a coach's presence, you know, I think part of that is kind of maybe trying to re establish what Mike Vrabel had there over the years, you know, and then Cleveland has Jim Schwartz in for a second interview today. Nathan schielhas the Rams play a passing coordinator, and Mike McDaniel are both in the mix there as well. So you have some teams that are sort of coming down the stretch now, and it'll be interesting to see, like, you know, as some of these names, you know, like that people are less familiar with, Likeah Halflee, like maybe a Jesse mintor as these guys start to get second interviews with multiple teams, I think that's gonna going to create a situation where some of the dominoes are going to start following.
Speaker 2: What about c J. Streud's future.
Speaker 6: Uncertain They have big decisions to make this offseason. He's eligible for a new contract for the first time. He has a fifty year option. They got to make a decision on that, and you know, I haven't looked up the number, but I think it's over thirty million dollars that would lock them in for twenty twenty seven. So, you know, those are our two big decisions that need to be made this offseason. And they went three and oh with Davis Mills in there, you know.
Speaker 3: So I think having seven.
Speaker 6: Turnovers and two in two playoff games and being in the window that they're in. I just talked about windows at Buffalo being the one being in the window that they're in with this just ridiculous defense that played really well for the most part, eventually crack but played really well for the most part in New England and obviously dominated in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: There's some big decision.
Speaker 6: Making that has to happen there, so I think his future is a little uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised if teams make calls just.
Speaker 3: To see if if he's available.
Speaker 6: But there are definitely some moving parts there and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: Again, I don't know they've had the chance to sit down and fully assess everything, and they probably won't until they review the entirety of the season.
Speaker 2: Tell my audience everything they need to know about Jared Stidham.
Speaker 3: He's an interesting name, so he was.
Speaker 6: He was at the like coming out of high school, was one of the top players in the country, went to Baylor to play for our Briles and got caught in the caught up in all of that, like and not that he was involved, but like obviously, you know, he was one of the players that kind of became collateral damage in that whole thing.
Speaker 3: And so he winds up.
Speaker 6: Transferring to Auburn, played in an offense that maybe wasn't all that suited to his skill set, and when he was coming out, a lot of people looked at him said, like, this guy still has as like all the traits that you would want in a blue chip recruit, right, And so gets drafted by the Patriots. He may have started in twenty twenty in New England if it weren't for COVID wiping out like the entire offseason program. Obviously the shorter off season, the Patriots wanted somebody more experienced. They brought in Cam Newton that year, and then Josh McDaniels, who had Stidham in New England, goes to Vegas and they were together for three years in New England and trades for him, right, And so he trades for him as to be Derek Carr's back up in twenty two and then tries to bring him back to compete with Jimmy Garoppolo for the job in twenty three. But Sean Payton now bids him as Russell will and brings him bring and Sean Payton brings him in as Russell Wilson Insurance. Peyton did a two year deal with him, then he does another two year deal with him, So clearly there's something there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I know Sean really liked, you know, Sidham's ability to handle a very complex offense, you know, because he'd played for Josh McDaniels and they have a ton of confidence that he's going to be okay, played really well in the preseason. I think the question is going to be here.
Speaker 3: Dan Is Knicks was good, not.
Speaker 6: Great for three and a half quarters of a lot of games and then just made huge throw after a huge throw after a huge throw, and big spots. Is why he has so many fourth quarter comebacks this year, including the one against Buffalo on Saturday. Can still of make those plays at the end of the game if they can get New England into the fourth quarter and they're at home, can still of make the sorts of throws that Knicks was making it towards the end of games.
Speaker 3: I think that's gonna be the biggest question.
Speaker 2: What's the going rate for head coaches now as far as because Lafloor's up to whatever, maybe fourteen to fifteen million dollars? Is that? Where is it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean well I would say maybe even more than that. I don't have the number, but I mean I can give you this, like, you know, Liam Cohen got twelve million million of years a first time head coach last year in Jacksonville. Ben Johnson got thirteen million a year last year as a first time head coach in Chicago, and I believe he had a bigger offer than that, right, And that was part of where some of the questions were with Lafleur in Green Bay. It was never do do we want to bring him back? They always wanted to bring him back. The question was whether or not they be able to work out a new contract and whether, you know, if things went sideways in the negotiation, would some other team come in and offer something enticing Like there were a lot of moving parts there. Obviously they wind up getting it done. But I mean, look, here's the thing. I mean, you have like second receivers, right, second pass rushers getting twenty million a year, So for an established head coach, it makes sense they're worth at least that much, you know, So I think it's there were some owners I would say suppressing. I don't want to use a C word, but suppressing maybe salaries a little bit for a while there. But it certainly looks like the damn's broke. And you know, one thing that contributed to was was all the TV money that's out there, you know, I know it was a factor in Sean mcvay's negotiation with the RAMS, what he was getting offered to go into network television. And you know, so certainly I think there's been a little bit of a correction and those numbers are way higher than they used to be.
Speaker 2: How did the reps do this weekend?
Speaker 3: Am I gonna get fined? Look like? I just think like public trust is at an all time low, you know, And I I.
Speaker 6: Agree with Sean McDermott there needs to be more clarity and it can't be I mean, and I just think watching the games and you know, I.
Speaker 2: But how do you get clarity though? Albert, Well, I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 6: So during the season, I don't get to During the season, I'm trying to watch everything, so really I don't get to watch watch like drill down on the commentary or even the pace of some of the games as much because I'm trying to watch everything right and see the primetime games of course, but you know, during the playoffs, one thing that sucks stuck out to me is like it's just you know, sometimes you get this long drawn out explanation.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's like, what the hell has happened? You know. In this case, Sean mcdermoy is trying to slow it down so the.
Speaker 6: Head official can get a look at at at the at the Cooks play with McMillan there, with Jakawhan McMillan there, Like, I think that's a fair ask to have the head referee go over under the hood and take a real look at it. Who is making that ruling, who is who is in the referee's ear, Like, there's just not a lot of clarity with it, And if there's not a lot of clarity, then there's gonna be a lot of questions.
Speaker 3: And in an era when the.
Speaker 6: NFL and its teams are taking money handover fists from all the gambling companies, I think having some clarity on the way these things are being officiated and the way certain players are being adjudicated is paramount, and so I've said this for a long time, like I just think it's gotten.
Speaker 3: So tangled up.
Speaker 6: They've done a bad job incorporating the technology because they just keep kind of all right, here are more points of emphasis, here's more technology, and it's more and more and more and more and more. They've made it so much harder on the on field officials, and then they don't know how to communicate it to the public. I really think that they need to go in this off season and tear the thing down to the studs and take all the technology available, take the crews they have available, maybe add sky judges to each crew, and rebuild it all together, because I just think what's happening right now flat out isn't working in the eyes of the public, and the public trust is such an important thing for a professional sport.
Speaker 2: Fritzie is the commissioner on the phone to find Albert Breer. Yeah, we got them, Okay, all right, commission Albert, I know you're busy. Thank you for your time. It's always all right, Thanks Dan. That's Albert Breer, the Monday morning quarterback senior NFL reporter. Last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow. Celebrate MLK Day and Night NBC and Peacock full lineup of basketball all day long Monday. That's today on NBC and also streaming on Peacock, which is where you can watch this program. Nayan and Austin joining us on the show.
Speaker 9: Audi thanks three k ten Yep.
Speaker 12: I'm a huge Secons fan, really proud of how far they got. I think they it's not time to cast away c Jay Jess yet. I feel like they haven't exhausted all options on giving him the best OC. I feel like for the last two they've been first year, second year, So I think the best candidate right now and I want to see what you guys thought would be Mike McDaniels. And I think not only because of what he did with TUA and his talent, but his connection with the Texans, even though he got let go for showing up drunk to work at the Texans, but his connection with Demiko when they're both offensive coordinators. I think it'll do two things. It'll give them what CJ needs to take it to the next gear, but also give the Texans what they need to help them make the decision for the future.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not moving on from him, they just shouldn't pony up and giving him a long term deal like the Dolphins did with Tua. I want to see another at least another year with c J. Stroun. And I agree with Troy Igman. He's been chasing his rookie year for two years and he's regressed. And there was a time when we were gone, boy if you redrafted well, but CJ. Stroud has the talent he's shown us. But this is where when you get to the NFL, you haven't made it. That's when it begins. And a lot of these players, certainly at quarterbacking position. Hey, I dominated in college. Okay, that he played really well's rookie year. Okay, Now the league gets a book on you. You have to keep adjusting, you have to keep adding to your game. And it feels like CJ. Stroud did not do that. Whereas Drake May he's been you know, he's going to finish second in the MVP race. Bo Nix has shown the ability to come up big in the fourth quarter. Caleb Williams has shown that he can. Jayden Daniels, I still need to see at a little bit more from him. He is incredibly talented, but I got to have you on the field. As the saying goes, the best ability is availability, and that's what I need for him.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marv, if you're a Texans fan, I'd be really frustrated because what will Anderson in the Texans defense was doing with they were keeping those guys in the game, forcing fumbles, Fluster and Drake May and all you had to do was put up a trend built for like performance, like don't mess things up. That's all you really had to do.
Speaker 2: You would have thought that that would be enough for them, even with all the turnovers, that they still could have won that game. It felt like with that defense when they were down five, I thought, boy, oh boy, this is an incredible drive for the Patriots, and then they score the touchdown. But you're watching these opportunities and that's where we always come back and say the same thing, Well, they'll be back next year. No. Detroit was supposed to be back this year. They're a getting further away. I don't think the Niners are here next year. Buffalo new coach. I don't know. Bad division, yes, but you know you're trying to figure out these teams where you go, yep, they figured it out. They got a window, and your window is only two or three years unless you're really really fortunate and smart like the Chiefs and then the Patriots during the Belichick Brady years. You know, we thought the Eagles, we don't. Is there window still open? It should be right, But then I'm not so sure. I thought something all along this year. It just it never felt easy for the Eagles. And as a result, you know, you have a coach maybe on the hot seat going into next year. Are they all in with their quarterback? Are you going to have aj Brown there next year? Does he want to be there? Offensive line? Is it going to be healthy enough? I mean even the defense, defensive line. So there's so many factors that go into this. Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 4: Going back to the Texans, if you're a Texans fans, you're watching that game, going if we can get a little offense and get by this team. We got Jarrett Stidham versus our defense next week to get to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yes, this day in sports history.
Speaker 4: Paul the NFL bought the franchise the New York Yankees from Ted Collins. The franchise was then awarded to a group from Dallas on January twenty fourth. Eventually that became the Dallas Cowboys. The CFL became the CFL in nineteen fifty eight, and the NHL announced that the Winnipeg Jets in nineteen ninety six could move to Phoenix.
Speaker 2: This was the two Brady fumble against the Raiders, but not a fumble was ruled an incomplete pass, the tuck rule. The tuck rule. Also on this day, nineteen seventy four, Notre Dame beat UCLA, ending the bruins eighty eight game winning streak. Bill Walton hit that was always his worst day. And I think Digger Phelps would always call Bill on this day because Digger was the coach of Notre Dame and beat Bill and the Bruins in South Ben Billy. Anybody taking Miami tonight, straight up? Anybody got moneyline Miami straight up?
Speaker 5: Oh man, I really want that, you know what. I have a real like my head says Indiana. My heart says Miami.
Speaker 2: Is that a yen?
Speaker 5: I'll take it? Yeah, you got Miami straight up. I'll jump in there. Yeah, why not, I'll take Miami straight up.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of I'm I'm there with you. I don't know why. It was like everybody was in on the Texans. I'm like, I'm taking the Patriots.
Speaker 5: That's why I'm positive Jared's Didham is going to like absolutely light the world on fire against that.
Speaker 3: Todd.
Speaker 2: What did I Learn? On today's award nominated program.
Speaker 7: Kristen Syracuse makes a good point that selling for a field all these days is looked at us A losing four points not getting three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It looks like helure for Fritzie Seaton, Marv Paula, yours truly the back room guys. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.