Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hey, what's up man?
Speaker 2: Ah, not too much. I didn't think I was going to get through. I tried calling earlier, and I was listening to a few other calls, but figure, I give it one last try.
Speaker 1: My week has been okay, you know. I mean, I've been thinking about the caller who said that life is a spiral a lot, and I agree with that a lot. Like I think there's just like a lot of spiral. There's a lot of spiraling, but it's good. It's in you know, you know, like the analogy that like life is a spiral, but each time you go in the cycle, you gain a little bit more information, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I mean I think there's always something new to learn with every experience you go through, even if it's like a similar experience. You know, there's always something something new to get I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, what's up with you?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Would you want to talk about today?
Speaker 2: So? You know, I always thought about what I would talk about if I were to get in the call, and I think one of the one story I'd love to share is so I grew up Mormon. I'm not Mormon anymore, but I like served a mission in the Philippines, and I was there's just one time that I ate dog and I didn't know that it was dog until after the fact. And I think about that a lot, Like I can't believe that somebody had bamboozeled me into eating like a dog and it was like it was a pet that they had for a while.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, how did they bamboozle you into eating a dog?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What did they present it as?
Speaker 2: So in the Philippines, they have this dish called chicken a dobo and it's it's really good. It's like this chicken that they put in soy sauce and it's got like all this other stuff in it. But it's like marinated chicken. And that's what they presented it. As we were visiting this like family that we would go to every week, and we have been there for I would say, like five weeks. Over the course of five weeks, he's been visiting them, and they told us about this birthday party and we, you know, we thought we'd stop by for a little bit get some food. Because the people they love celebrating whatever, and they always find an excuse to make a lot of food. And so when we get there, she sits us down, gets us a play of all the food and the chicken, the dobo, lupia ponset, all that stuff, and as we're eating, she like just sits next to us and she's just like, so, how is it? And we're like, you know, it's good, Like it's not out of the ordinary, it's it's really good food. And she had these like two dogs that we would constantly see whenever we would visit, but we'd only notice like one of them around. And then she like kind of ask us again, like so, like you know, like is there anything different about the chicken? And we're like, no, not really, and then she's like, well, have you noticed that this dog isn't hereious, he's not like walking around. We're like, you know, we actually have noticed it. And then she she looks at the plate and she's like do you want to know like what you're eating? And like is it not chicken? A double? And she's just smiles at us and it's like no, like that's that's dog. And we're just like already halfway through our plate and it's like I don't we didn't know how to process it. I kind of finished it because it was good. But wait, wait after the fact, I didn't really feel that good.
Speaker 1: Wait wait wait, wait you finished it.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna spit it out.
Speaker 3: In front of them.
Speaker 2: It wasn't bad, like really, I mean it was, Yeah, it wasn't bad. It was pretty well seasoned. Kind of crazy thing to say, but I can it was. It wasn't bad. I wouldn't eat it again because afterwards, like we're walking and like my body felt a little hot. Like the best way I can explain it is, you know when you kind of drink and like your like stomach gets a little warm and stuff like that. That's kind of how how it felt afterwards. I don't know if it's because it's dog or something, but I didn't get sick or anything.
Speaker 1: Did you Did it taste like chicken.
Speaker 2: For the most part? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Interesting? So how okay? So how long was the period of time between when you found out and when you took the next bite?
Speaker 2: It was definitely like like a minute or two. We had to like we kind of looked at each other and we're just talking to her as she's like telling us what it is, and she gets up and leaves after like a few minutes after she told us, and so we're just like sitting there looking at each other. And so it was it was about within like five minutes.
Speaker 1: I'd say, what, did you have any hesitation before diving back in or were you like, no, this was pretty good.
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean I was thinking about how you know, we're eating like a dog, but also like it you know, when am I gonna have this again? Probably never? And I haven't. I haven't ever thought about eating the other dog.
Speaker 1: You haven't thought about eating a dog since.
Speaker 2: You know, can't say have.
Speaker 1: Are you still a Mormon?
Speaker 2: No? No, I haven't been Mormon for I say, like two and a half years.
Speaker 1: Wait you mentioned that earlier, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was super brief.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And uh so wait, tell me about this mission, Like what were like what were you doing in the Philippines? Like who is this family?
Speaker 2: So the family that we were seeing. So like when you're more of a missionary, you're kind of just going around meeting people, trying to share your message of the church, and the main thing is like inviting them to either like read whatever you give them or get them to give them the church and stuff. And so we were like visiting this lady and her family for about five weeks at the time, and it's really just fit to share whatever we had planned for her, like if they ever had any questions about what we would give them to read, or if we had a specific message for them like that when we ate the dog, like that was just like a birthday party. She had invited us too. We weren't planning on sharing anything. We were just walking by. But yeah, we we were just visiting them, sharing whatever we had to share about God.
Speaker 1: Did you talk to this woman about God? Before or after she fed you the dog?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Before? After?
Speaker 1: Did she did? She did it? Did the message resonate with her?
Speaker 2: I think? So I didn't stay in the area long after that happened, because usually what happens is you'll stay in a specific area for anywhere between, Like we need a six months before you're transferred to a different area in your mission. So I was like in the middle part of Luzon, which is the main island in the Philippines. And so I was like in one area which is where she was living. And then soon after that I transferred. I got transferred to a different part of the of that area.
Speaker 1: M what's your life like now?
Speaker 2: What do you do, so it's it's pretty normal. I graduated from college in December, and I'm just a project manager. I work in Corporate America. So I'm just working, hanging out with friends, just trying to find new hobbies. I think recently I've been playing a Starting Valley and that's been a very fun one game.
Speaker 3: It picks up.
Speaker 2: I'm playing it whenever I take like my little dummies.
Speaker 1: Do do any of your corporate do any of your Corporate America homies know that you've et you've eaten a dog?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's come up. I don't think I haven't found the right time to tell them this. Right, We had a dog con to the office when I was new. A co worker's sister had like just adopted a puppy, and so that may or may not have been the best chance to bring that up, but I don't think.
Speaker 3: It probably would have been.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would have brought it up. Then. Yeah, I probably don't like a new employee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you want to at least have like some you want to be in an executive position before you start talking about eating dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like I'm leading meetings, you know, kind of thing, not Oh, this person just joined.
Speaker 1: What's your name again, Jason? Jason? Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go or talk about or anything like that?
Speaker 2: You know, I would say just any kind of people, Uh, spread positivity. And you know, if you're craving a sweet treat today, go.
Speaker 3: And get it.
Speaker 2: It's Friday. We've all had a long week, so just enjoy it. You as well get it. There's a treat you've been wanting, go ahead and get it.
Speaker 1: I kind of want to eat a dog.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know what if you want to, no one's told you that.
Speaker 1: I tell you, you know what, I actually before we I do actually think it is you know it is so funny is that it's weird to me and I participate in this thing that's weird to me, which is that like it's so shocking that you've eaten a dog, right, but like what we fucking eat so many chickens and cows and pigs and lambs and no one gives a fuck about them, you know, So I don't know, I got eat it. Like eating a dog is really not that different. Like there's no like you can't really there's no true, honest argument why it's should be okay to eat uh cowls and chickens and not dogs. There's really no good there's really no arguments for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like you think about other countries, like you know, Peru, they they're known for eating like guinea pig, and I mean I ate also some pretty crazy stuff on it, some things like I had fried fried crickets that aren't that bad either.
Speaker 1: Crickets sounds pretty.
Speaker 2: Cool, you know, Yeah, they're pretty crunchy.
Speaker 1: What did what did the dog did? Did we go into what the dog tastes? Like? Did I ask you that already?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's like it's they're pretty I mean, they taste kind of like chicken, but it's a little bit like it's not as soft as chicken, like think of it as like turkey, Like it's kind of thicker.
Speaker 1: Did you was there any sauce on it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like they served it as chicken adobo and so that's like the main thing is like soy sauce and they'll have like onions and garlic. Sometimes I'll add like slice of the pineapple to make it a little bit sweeter, but it's like, yeah, it's like the soy sauce kind of thing, but like you can't really tell, like because the main thing, it's like the color. It gets its color from the soy sauce.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'm not gonna go out of my way to eat a dog. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Hey, but I mean, if it's it's presented, if it's.
Speaker 1: Presented as something, if it's if it's a situation like you, if it's presented as something else that I don't know what it is, I would eat it. I mean, I guess I yeah, in the way like I would eat chicken. And so if you gave me something and told me if it was chicken, I would eat it. And then if later you told me it was dog, I don't think I would finish it, but I would be like, oh, I've just eaten eaten a dog.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't finish it, though, but I you know, I get you didn't want to be you didn't want to be rude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm the kind of firs and I just like to be able to say I've tried things, so like even if it's something that i've probably well you know, I mean to a good a good reason. But like for the most part, I try to try something at least once. So now that I've had that, and now that I know what it is, I don't think I'll ever actually go out of my way to have it, even if it's.
Speaker 1: Presented as dog thank you for calling, Jason, Thanks, Kex, have a good one. Do I don't know if I have any post call thoughts about that. I think I think that that call can simply stand as it is, Hello, Hi, what's up? Uh?
Speaker 4: Not much? Well, sort of a lot. Well, I'm glad I finally got through. I've been over every stream I've tried to call, so well, I don't know should I just start talking about what I want.
Speaker 3: To talk about?
Speaker 1: Or sure? Why not?
Speaker 4: Okay, So about two years ago I got into this relationship with this guy and he's fantastic, but he's quite a bit older than me, and that presents that presents quite a few problems for us. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do about it.
Speaker 1: What are these problems?
Speaker 4: I guess I guess one of the biggest parts is I want to be I want to be more part of his his life, you know, I want to meet his friends, his you know, his family and stuff. But it's it's it's hard for him because I'm so much younger than him, Like it's not like ten years he's like, he's he's sixty three and I'm so it's it's a pretty big gap in age. So I I get why it's hard. It's just it doesn't feel it feels weird whenever I whenever it comes up with his family or you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: How'd you meet this guy?
Speaker 4: We met online like a dating app.
Speaker 1: Okay, was it like? Was it was the date? It was this like the point of the dating app. It was like to meet like older guys.
Speaker 4: Like no, it's just sort of oh sorry, no, it's it's sort of just like people just all for all people meeting all people.
Speaker 1: How long have you been with this guy?
Speaker 4: Since January of twenty twenty four. Actually, one of the first dates that we went on, you know, out together, was to your show back in March You're in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh no shit, wait did we meet?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No, we didn't meet. He wanted me to go up, but I didn't. I didn't have anything interesting to talk about. I don't know if you remember the show, but it was the show where like this guy came up and he played he played music. He oh, he was a web designer and he used the name like Sam Sariff or something Sam Sariff yep, and song was like way better than I thought it would be. I thought I was sort of expecting, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I did remember that. I did remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well anyway, okay, so okay, I mean, so yeah, that's I mean, that's a fairly long time. It's about a year and a half and like is is and so what you met this guy when you were like nineteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is like a month before my birthday. So I was eighteen at the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I have thoughts, but I have quite I have more. I have more questions than thoughts. Uh so tell me this, Why do you want to be with this guy?
Speaker 4: Well, he's really nice, he's friendly, he's really funny. We we have a lot of the same interests. Uh we Yeah, we just have a really good time together. For the first for like the first ten months, it was a little weird. It was sort of like a problem for the first ten months that I didn't I didn't really talk about because it's it's also my only It's the only time I've ever even been in a relationship, so that makes it even more weird probably, But but like for the first ten months, it was more just like we were friends, and I didn't know how to bring up to him that I like, I sort of wanted more. So for like the first ten months, it it wasn't well for me, it was sort of like he was we were dating, but for him, it wasn't like fully we weren't together. It was more just like we were friends until I brought it up in like November last year, and that's when we decided to you know, be together.
Speaker 1: And so. But so you want like a full fledged relationship where he introduces you to all of his like friends and really integrates you into his life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean I've met parts of his family, But for his friends, he sort of has like two sections of friends. He has a of friends that's like his you know, his friends that are also you know, gays and stuff like that, and his friends that are so before he before he started, like you know, before like two thousand, he was he was married to a lady and he had like a kid and stuff, but he was he was gay the entire time, so it was sort of like so then they got divorced, and then he started living you know, gay outwards and stuff like that. So he's friends from before then friends after them. So for his friends before then, I think he thinks that they they would find it weird. And for a few friends from the other part of his life, he one of them would not find it very cool. If his if that was his partner, someone forty years younger than him. And then for his family, I've met his brother and his brother's wife and they're very friendly. But for family functions like Thanksgiving and Christmas, he thinks would be a little weird if his daughter and his dad found out, because his dad's like eighty three or something.
Speaker 1: So, So, did you give me your name or fake name? Ted?
Speaker 4: Well, that's my real name.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right whatever? Yeah, Ted's school. What's going on in the in like the rest of your life?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm really busy at work. Let's see. I play chess, I mean a lot of I guess I'm pretty boring outside of that, Yeah, not much. I guess.
Speaker 1: What have you told you? Have you talked to? Are you close with like your parents? Are you have like siblings.
Speaker 4: No, No, well, I don't have any siblings. The only family I have any us is my dad and uncle, and my dad's a truck driver and my uncle he lives somewhere here here in Colorado, but I don't I don't know where, So I guess I'm not really close to any family. Do you have friends, Yeah, I've I have friends, but I don't think I really have anyone I can talk to about it?
Speaker 1: Really, Like, why do you feel like you can't talk to your friends about this?
Speaker 4: Well, no one really knows that I'm I'm not you know, you know that I'm.
Speaker 1: Like that, so that you're that you're gay, That you're gay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I've never told anyone that before, So it's it's also weird for to tell someone that, yeah, m and then on top of that, it's like another level of even more weird because I'm I'm like actively pursuing a relationship with someone older than my grandfather.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, So you don't have you don't have any friend, Like, nobody from your close friends or family knows that you're gay.
Speaker 4: No, no one knows.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, here's the thing I'm trying to because like I'm trying to get a full picture of your life to kind of understand, like what is drawing you to, uh want to like pursue this thing? You know what I mean? Because and the reason why is it? Because you know, I'm not one hundred percent sure if whatever the underlying reason is that you're pursuing this thing, that this thing is the best cure of it, you know what I mean? Yeah, you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see what you mean.
Speaker 1: M have you like Okay, so this is like, like have you dated guys before? Have you like gone out on dates, if you like met connected with other dudes that aren't in their sixties?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't. I'm not really I don't know. It's weird, but I'm not really like interested in people my age.
Speaker 1: So why why is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't really thought about it. Well, I don't know. I just I don't find I don't find people my age very relatable. I can't I can't get along with them very much.
Speaker 1: Well, like for this with this guy right, like, where do you see it?
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 1: Where would you see this going? You know?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean me and him are on the same page at this point, We're together talking about moving in together stuff like that, and so I mean, I see spending you know, the next twenty thirty years together, and I think I think he feels the same way.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 4: That this was his last relationship he did, and so yeah, he said that he sees us being together, you know, for the rest of his life, and I feel the same way. So I don't know. It sort of makes him sound weird, but well, I don't know. Because I'm so much younger, a lot of people would probably think that he's being predatory. But I mean I can say as the one experiencing it, I don't think. I mean, if anything, it's been sort of me that's pushed pushed it as far as it's been.
Speaker 1: Okay, So well I am. I mean, I'll say this is like I think when it comes to this kind of thing, that the my main concern. I'm thinking about what I would I'm thinking about what I would tell you if you were my son. I'm thinking about what I would tell you. My main concern is really this, right is like the the main issue with like a big age gapperlationship like this is more so that like you're it's like the age itself is like it's more that like you're in the process still of like building your own life, figuring out who you are, and like doing all of like you know, like I do you want Are you in college? Like do you have a stuff you wanted? Like you're like, you know, you sound like you're you're still like learning a lot about yourself. You're you know, you're you wanna eventually get to a point where like you know, you have a community of some kind, you have you know uh uh you know, non romantic relationships that you feel really uh comfortable with and involved in, and you know, you have your hobbies, you have You're really like you're you're very in the process still of like developing your life. And the problem, the the danger that I would see here is that this could kind of take time away from that process of continuing to develop yourself and put it towards like this guy and his life, you know what I mean. And uh yeah, so like you know, I try not to be in the business of telling other people what to do, but and you're gonna do whatever you're gonna do. But if you know, you want my my take on it, it's that like you know, if you're gonna navigate this situation. The thing that should be at the forefront of your brain is to be making sure that like this guy and this thing and these conflicts are not cutting in to mental energy that you should be spending on on like developing your own life. You got, you got what I'm saying. Because also and also by the way, this ship can creep But this ship can creep up on you in ways you understand because even the like great because the fact that you're over here, like well, he hasn't introduced me to his uh you know, friends here or this and that, like you're like, you're like very very very subtly, this thing is already taking a lot of mental space from you. And you know, look, as a as a person with your own agency, you can you know, I mean, you can decide what things you want to take up your mental space, right, but be really careful with like, be really really really selective and really think through deeply the things that you're allowed to uh take through your mental space because you're at a really critical time in your life. Yeah, so, like I don't know if getting into a thing with this guy who's kind of already lived his whole existence and like you're talking about twenty thirty years. I mean, shit, man, this guy's gonna like how much of a you know what I mean, Like, how much of a life can you really have with you know, someone in their eighties and nineties, right like you don't wanna, you don't wanna, you don't wanna like look back and be like, oh shit, I was spending so much time like tending to this thing that and and you know what, and even and you know, you say here's the thing, you say like, oh, well, I'm the one, uh pushing forward and I'm not even I'm really I'm not even here to like villainize this guy.
Speaker 3: But like.
Speaker 1: It you can just can just creep up on you, Like it could just the amount of time and energy that you spend on this shit cald just just creep up on you. So be really careful to make sure that because you might you might like go into this thing and then it falls apart and it just doesn't satisfy the goals that you have for your life. And then you look back and you're like, I mean, I don't really know if I believe in such a thing as like wasted time, but you might look back and be like, oh shit, I wish I would have spent the time that I was spending on this thing, on uh whatever, making what doing things that put me in rooms with other people that I could be friends with. You know, you say you don't like people you're in age, but like how many people you're on age have you fucking met? You know, like, what do you do? What do you what are you doing to put yourself out into the universe to even like be around enough other people to make that like, uh that that claim.
Speaker 4: Well, well, I'm around a lot of people my own age. I play a lot of chess tournaments. I play I don't know, three chess tournaments a month in person of course, So I mean I talk a lot of two people my age, and then of course during school, I talk to a lot of people my age. And it sounds like I'm trying to like justify, but I do. I am in a lot of communities that put me around people my age, and I have a lot of friends in person, I am. I do judo, so I have a lot of friends there. So it's sort of like, I don't know, I feel like I've I've talked to a lot of people my age and I just don't. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but you understand what I'm saying, right, Like with uh one, you're needing to give yourself the space to like develop your own ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see what you mean.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't think about it, like I'm putting so much energy towards it. It's sort of eating up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. And that's not even specific to your issue. That's just like this is like, uh bro, like things can things can uh think, things can really take up your mental time a lot without even noticing it. And if what you if your ultimate goal and also this is just so much like if your ultimate goal is like you want to find someone that like, you know, you get married and have kids and uh get be integrated into their life in the way that you're talking about like that. I believe that that exists out there for you. And there's clearly, uh a lot of frictional elements between you and that with this, so let me keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't consider It's just, yeah, it's been on my mind so much that I didn't think about that. It's been on my mind.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I don't know if that Yeah, yeah, noh, that makes perfect It makes perfect sense. Yeah, because when you're yeah, because when you're in the moment of that, you're not even like introspecting about it. You're just in it. You don't even realize that. Yeah, and yeah, you know that ship just just just know that that ship isn't free.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're right, Yep, I didn't think about it's okay, Ed, No, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're doing all right, Ted?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Hmm, I can I can keep talking. If there's anything else you wanna or like anything you want to talk through or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Uh, I don't think so. I think it's I think that's what I came here for.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, cool. Is there any other like aspect of this or anything else in general that you want to I want to talk about to get into before we go, Not.
Speaker 4: That I can think of. I mean, that's sort of the biggest thing.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, m.
Speaker 4: All right, man, So thank you.
Speaker 1: Anything else you want to say to the people of the computer.
Speaker 4: Uh, not that I can think of.
Speaker 1: Have a good day, beautiful, take care of Ted, good luck. Do I have anything else to say about that?
Speaker 2: Call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I don't. I know, people have a lot of like and I crossed my you know, I I think I try. I try to like tell people what to fucking do. Although I do it all the time. I do it all like this so many times where I just flat out tell people what to do when I like, but it depends on the situation and the person's energy and like the conversation and shit, and like I sometimes I'm like, I just gotta tell, but I just feel like I need to tell people what to do. But the other times I'm like, no, let's you know, like let's just take this thing and like UH will arrive. Let's just talk about it and arrive at uh at an answer uh. Independently, also because I was keeping in mind the fact that this guy he hasn't, like, I don't know if he's talked through this with anyone, because he's like not out, you know, and he's uh like this is like a singular thing.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope I hope Ted arrives at whatever conclusion UH feels feels productive for him. Should I say something funny? I don't have anything funny to say.
Speaker 3: All right, Geka what's up man, How you doing. I'm good. How wild to talk to you?
Speaker 1: You texted me, you said, I ate a guinea pig in Peru if you want to talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we went to Peru, which is the first part of that story. Obviously, there's a lot of restaurants that sell it, and I got it in a fancy restaurant and it was pretty good. It was pretty good. The restaurant was full of tourists who were like all going, and some like sixty year old gay German couple came up and wanted to take pictures of me eating it. It's pretty good. If you've ever had a rabbit, it tastes the exact same.
Speaker 1: Would you eat a dog like the other caller.
Speaker 3: You know, it depends on how the dog was killed. I think that's really kind of the philosophical pivot where we're at on the ethics, right, Like if a dog was raised to be killed and eaten, no, But if it was like a cherished family pet that lived its entire life happily and it died in an accident, and the family wanted to honor the dog's memory by like serving it, I would eat that dog. What do you think, where are you at on this, Well.
Speaker 1: I kind of I kind of talked about it in the other call about like I don't think that like like I guess, like, oh, well, I was just talking about like moral like morally if there's probably no real difference between those two. I still wouldn't need a dog.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't really want to. I'm like good with the amount of chickens and cows and shit that I eat. But you texted me a bunch of shit.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: You talked about I.
Speaker 3: Text you every time you go live and I'm available because I don't know how this works. So yeah, there's a lot in there.
Speaker 1: You said, I'm trying to figure out how to protect my child from the apocalypse.
Speaker 3: We have one on the way. It's my first one, and I don't know. If I was going to self describe my viewpoint, it would be extremely like Doomer blackpilled. The world is going to heat up and we're all going to die in a war. So it's like I also texted you, I don't know how much of my view of the future is just like looking for a certainty, but from a negative way, because I don't like to handle the unknown. You know, but it's something I'm thinking about a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, tell me more about your doomor black Pille ideology about the world.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't even know where to start, man. I know this is a podcast suicide to get into politics, so let's not even go there.
Speaker 1: But we can talk about whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Things are not looking good, especially in America and other parts of the world. But like, I don't know, climate change freaks me out. Man. I have too much I have too much education in ecology, and the way things are going is not sustainable and it doesn't look like anybody's turning it around anytime soon. So it's like, I feel like the collapse of the society that we have is just a question of when, not a question of if, you know, So it's like if it's in the next eighty years, And now I have to care about that because I have a kid on the way, you know, it's a lot to thing about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've thought about that, like if I you know, I think I'd like to have kids someday, and you know, I'm worried about the future of the world and stuff. But here and you sound like you're more educated than I I'm not really uh. I mean I think a lot about the shit, and I talk to people and whatnot, but I'm not really formally educated in anything, so uh, this is all just like a me kind of trying to be a go ahead.
Speaker 3: I took it and ecology class, so it's not like I'm mister climate science, you know.
Speaker 1: So well, here's my thing, man. And I've talked about this on the show a little bit before, but like basically, and I was talking to one of my friends about this last night, is like, uh, the fact that we're living in unprecedented times is uh, all times have been unprecedented.
Speaker 3: Like that's true. I think about that a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it's it's always been an unprecedented time. Like the specifics are always unprecedented, but I mean, I'm sorry, the specifics are unprecedented, but but things being unprecedented has been precedented for eternity, you know what I mean. So like yeah, and even like in America, right, Like I mean, look a bunch of people like being corrupt, consolidating power and uh trying to you know, like a few people trying to take as much power as they possibly can. That's like it's like human nature It's been happening forever in society.
Speaker 3: The problem and the novel thing is that we all fucking know about all of it now. You know.
Speaker 1: That is interesting, it is it is interesting. Yes, that is a new thing that we all know about now. It's a lot easier than it was back in like what a feudal days or whatever the fuck. Also even like ecological things, I'm like, well, well, I don't know. There was the Black Death, there was been massive disease and uh meteors and weather like we've been through a lot. And with war it's like, bro, I mean we have you know, the fucking the world was at war twice.
Speaker 3: And we may have two hundred years. We may have two hundred years before it really hits the fand so like who who knows, you.
Speaker 1: Know, but you know, but I don't know, think about the well, think about like this, right, like maybe two hundred years humanity dies out and then maybe uh several million after that something else in pigs, Yeah, and tell guinea pigs and then they'll eat little whatever the fuck they eat and whatever into Yeah, I mean shit, yeah, for all we know. I mean, there could be life on another could be I don't know, it's just like, uh, I don't I don't know. And I got into an argument and I was in an argument, was a discussion with somewhere. I'm like, I think, I like, I'll tell I'll tell people all this stuff and they'll be like saying that I'm coming at it from a point of apathy, and I'm not. I don't think that. Yeah, I don't think that that means we shouldn't do anything.
Speaker 3: It's like you have to have a measured level of just caring about what you have control over and then filtering out all the rest of it. Right, it's not there. It's just like being reasonable. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, and you can also, I mean, you can protect your kid from the world in some way, shape or form, like you can talk to them and raise them and whatnot. But uh, you know they're gonna have struggle. I mean, I yeah, man, I don't know. I've been thinking about this a lot, like in terms of like if I want to have a kid, and like shit, like what the fuck is the world going to look like?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: But I don't know, man, Like I always thought that, you know, we thought social media would destroy everyone, and you know, it's done and it's taken a toll op question.
Speaker 3: Open question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your open question? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Though or not?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean it's not a lot of it's not a lot of damage, but like, uh, there's still not actually, don't you know. I mean you go and go into a restaurant, there's people eating with each other and talking and you know, like all the stuff, like people have friends and like people still connect with each other and people still do stuff and make up like this. I don't I don't think that like the essentials of humanity are about to completely go away.
Speaker 3: Not yet. I don't think anytime soon, man. But I'm just thinking, like, if we truly have trouble having enough food and water for people, if that actually is how things go, at some point, there will be a lot of bad stuff happening. It's just like, yeah, how much martial arts do I teach my kid? Do I need to teach them how to build a generator? Or just teach them to be nice to people? In math?
Speaker 1: Like you know, Yeah, what's your what's your wife's take on all this ship?
Speaker 3: Oh, she's like not worried about it. She's like, you need to calm down. Your brain's just trying to find something to worry about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's so. Yeah, yeah, because I was, Yeah, I was talking to someone about this, and you know, they were like, you're thinking too much about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much, pretty much, pretty much. But uh yeah, she's pretty levelheaded about most things. Yeah. Yeah, It's it's so strange to talk to you on the phone because I'm inclined to just listen because that's normally what I do.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 3: People run into this problem.
Speaker 1: Are you Are you excited to have a baby.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited. I'm so excited. Yeah, It's it's sort of weird to like, it's still too early to like tell anybody. Only one of my friends knows. None of our families know, so it's like it's not real yet.
Speaker 1: But it's just like wait, wait wait, none of your family knows.
Speaker 3: No, no, we don't want to have to deal with that shit until wait, you're.
Speaker 1: Telling me that I know that you're having a kid before your parents do.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can tell the internet anything. You're just the Internet lyle true.
Speaker 1: Interesting, when are they going to find out?
Speaker 3: We're gonna we have another obgui n appointment this month. We're going to do some genetic testing, just to make sure everything's above board because we're both thirty five thirty six, and uh, we'll learn the gender, no ceremony about it, and we'll let people know. Yeah, just give it more time because like the probability of stuff going wrong with the pregnancy dramatically decreased as it goes along. So we're just getting past the first part of it, and so we don't have to tell people if anything happens, you know, all that it's wild man.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, so you it sounds like your wife is less anxious about the whole thing than you are.
Speaker 3: She's less anxious about the world falling apart, but probably more anxious about things in closer proximity to our actual lives, like what are we gonna do with the bed that? You know, Like, what are we gonna do with all this stuff in the room we have to put the baby in, Like, and I'm just like not thinking about any of that and just like often some reality that's not even here interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like that too. I'm like that too, you know, where like yeah, I'll be with someone and they're like, you know, really grounded in reality of like the day, Like what are we gonna eat today and I'm like off the off thinking about some crazy existential crap. I don't think it's how Yeah, I really, I don't laugh. I even I've talked about it's the fucking depth on here, But like I just I don't like it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man. I think it has its place. I think it has its place because you can, like, you know, she'll get all freaked out if she's sick and like can't handle, like, oh the kitchen, it's messy. It drives her nuts. But it's like I could survive in a whirlwind. I would be worried about what's going to happen in another twenty years, you know. So like for dealing with direct day to day problems, I feel like it keeps your head more level. It's just like you waste a lot of time being worried about shit. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You also texted me saying it's you also text me saying it's pull a rat out of the wall kind of a day.
Speaker 3: What is that? Man? I work in pest control, so we do a lot of rat work. We trap and kill a lot of rats, keep a lot of rats out of buildings. And I had some traps that were too close to a wall boy a drop ceiling, and it got caught overnight and did some kind of backflip into the wall and dropped down fifteen feet and was starting to stink up the building. So I had to go out there and do something with a tape measure and zip ties and sticky boards and lower the tape measure down into the wall and pull the rat out. I deal with a lot of dead rodents outside of Peru too. It's kind of gross, but I guess it kind of primed me to eat one.
Speaker 1: What's the best part about working in pest control? Would you say?
Speaker 3: It is never not interesting. There's always some kind of nasty stuff to do. I work my own schedule. I have a lot of free time, a lot of control over when I work and when I don't. It's pretty nice.
Speaker 1: Just having a does having a BB Does having a baby make you more sympathetic to the Like the rats, They're like, oh, these rats were won't working? I mean babies.
Speaker 3: I would say I'm pretty sympathetic to the rats already, Like I honestly feel pretty bad about killing them. Sometimes. The bugs, it's like whatever bugs are intellectually like less significant than a phone app pretty much. But the rats they've got like families and stuff, like if we're going full Charlie Kelly, like, yeah, I've killed generations of these things. I feel a little upset about it. But mostly we kill them in ways that don't they don't know, you know, the traps go off pretty quickly, and you just you can't have them in a building. They ruin stuff, they chew up wires, and they're a health threat and it's bad. It's got to be done. Somebody's got to do it. So it's me good at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I can't be too critical that is, you know, somebody does have to do it. You can't really be the Yeah, this comes a time where like you want to be all peaceful and cool about stuff, but then if you got a fucking rat in your home, you got to get rid of that guy.
Speaker 3: Dude, I've seen they cause such bad problems. Like I'm in Texas. It gets one hundred and fifteen in the summer, and they'll like chew through an AC line and the AC's out in the building and it's like ninety degrees in the building because they have rats up there. You know, it's like they ruin cars. They all kinds of shit. It's bad.
Speaker 1: What's your name?
Speaker 3: But I do respect them. I think I said it was Carl, So we'll go with that.
Speaker 1: Carl cars or anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, rise up against the oligarchy. People that are in your economic bracket are not your enemy. I treat a Oh really, man, I wish I could.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez, we can't put that. We can't put this p We can't.
Speaker 3: We can't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we could put that on the all Right, we.
Speaker 3: Gotta under contract. I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 1: We gotta all right, we might I might have to cut that part out, but it was funny, all right. I might have to cut that part out, Brandon, we might have to cut that out. But anyway, Carl.
Speaker 3: Vile, I really appreciate all the hours you put out there to listen to and uh, I really appreciate your perspective. You have a good day, man, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, man, you too, Bye bye bye bye. Yeah, we definitely don't. We definitely can't put that out there. Hey, what's up everyone, It's Lyle. I'm gonna end the episode today by doing some viewer mail, which is for me. It's a nice relaxing way to end the episode. You know, I can just talk at my own pace and uh talk to myself, which is what I normally do when I'm alone. I talk to myself a lot. Do you guys talk to yourselves. I walk around the house and I talk to myself like I'm two people having a conversation. I like talking to myself. I think it's helpful. I like being around myself. I know that sounds a little narcissistic, but I think it's good. I think you should want to be within your own company. I guess I'm not exclusively talking to myself. I'm also reading emails, but I'm also talking to but I'm talking to no one. I'm talking into a stick that doesn't respond, and I'm talking to a theoretical audience of However, many people listen to this. But anyway, this is too much stuff. Let's read. Let's read some emails, Shelby. Let's read some emails that you guys have sent. By the way, if you want to be in one of these emails, you can send me an email at Therapy gecko mail dot com. This first email is from Amy. Hello, Lyle, I'd like to go by Amy, if that's okay. Yes it is. I'm typically working whenever you stream, so I always miss calling in. I've debated emailing before, but like most things, I always put it off until later. But right now I'm sitting in a parking lot. I just got off work, picked up some Wendy's, drove to the parking lot of a ross because I plan on looking for a gift there, and I'm sitting here eating my Wendy's before I get out of the car. I wanted to talk to you about several things, but most things have either resolved themselves, I worked through it, or I'm still in the midst of it. One I feel I'm still in the midst of is one I feel I'm still in the midst of is. I recently went through a friendship break up. We'd been friends for almost fourteen years, the last three. Feeling strained. She called it off first, and even though I had been thinking of doing so myself, it really really hurt that she did. We had slowly grown apart. In some ways it was in distance, but in some it was in milestones, and we couldn't relate to each other anymore. I don't even mean life milestones like marriage, education, or financial. It just seemed like, from my perspective, she didn't care to have any emotional initiative, be it for herself or towards the people around her. I don't know if that makes sense. I don't think about it often, but when I do, I get mixed feelings of anguish having lost someone. But I also get very angry and spiteful, as the end of our friendship came as a result from an argument we'd had. When I start to vent about it to anyone, my chest almost feels like it'll explode because I still feel sore about it. It happened recently, so maybe it's still fresh on my heart. But I also feel like there was some closure that I didn't get, so I'm hyper fixating on that. I'm writing this on my phone, so it took really long, so i'll end there. Thanks for reading.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Interesting. First of all, I'm a big fan of eating fast food in the parking lot of a of a shopping center. I don't know if I'm a big fan of it, but I've done it a lot I've spent a lot of time eating Jack in the Box in a car in the parking lot of a place, and I look back at it fondly. I've talked of this before, but when I was first starting doing the show, it was during COVID, so I couldn't really go out anywhere. So like on a Friday, on Friday nights or like, I had a routine, I would do my podcast and then it would end at like nine pm, and I would kind of be worked up still, so I would just drive in the suburbs to like the parking lot of Target, and like everything was closed, it was midnight, and I would just like sit there, listen to music, maybe eat some gas station food that I got. It was nice. Anyway, that has nothing to really do with your email, and it kind of does. I'm trying to think if I've been through a friendship break up.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I've never been through a friendship breakup necessarily most of the times. Uh, it's kind of just been a fade. I've never been in a actually actually wait, that's not true. I have been in one friendship breakup that was like definitively like like we talked about it, like we're not gonna be friends anymore. But I don't really, I don't know. I didn't really mourn it. It was very it felt very easy to me to move on from that because a friendship breakup is different from a romantic breakup because the romance because typically if you're monogamous, like there has to be like labels, you know. That's the bit that's the difference between romance and friendship is romance is more label driven and you really you only have you only have a spot for one, so you have to break up with one if you want to move on to another and like build life. But friendship is interesting because friendship is not like we're going to get together and build a thing together. Friendship is like, you know, will orbit around each other, and so it doesn't necessarily always need to be definitively ended. It mainly just fades. But you said that you were thinking of calling off this friendship. I'm curious. I'm curious what you mentioned. She didn't have emotional initiative, like she didn't want to like grow herself emotionally or connect or whatever. I get what you mean. I can I can only really relate with my personal experience. But I find like, yeah, I guess I've had friends like that in the past, where I'm like, I don't think that we really can connect anymore, or like I don't think that you're doing a good job at connecting whatever. But it's like I don't. I don't bring it up, you know, because it's not like they're Now that I'm an adult, it's like, you know, I have my own life, and it's again, it's not like a romance thing. Like if like my you know, if I had like a wife or girlfriend or whatever and there's a problem there, I'd be like, yeah, this is a real problem there, because you know, that's more. But it's important because we're building a life together. But friends are again, they're like they're kind of they kind of orbit your life, but they're not I guess in it in it in the way that like a real like a domestic partner is you know, I don't unless you've got like roommates or you're really really really close with your friends. But also, fuck man, life is so life is pretty short. You got to be intentional about who you spend your time with. We couldn't relate to each other anymore.
Speaker 2: Hmm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all right. I think it's I think it's good. I actually I take back a little bit of what I said about the domestic partnership about that, like you only have space for one you can have space for multiple friends. You kind of can't You kind of like time is so finite that you really do have to be selective about who you spend your time with because you can. You know, none of the ship's free. It's like I was talking to that caller earlier about like the mental energy that you spend on shit is not free. Like if you have a friend that's like draining your energy or whatever, or you just don't even fucking like hanging out with them. You want to be valuable about that time, or you want to try to be, or you don't have to be. I don't know sometimes that guys, I'm trying to remember who I really am, and let me tell you something. Sometimes I say all this like you know, motivational podcast bro shit, like you got to be valuable, you got to be valuable with your time. And then the other time I really am just like you know what, who gives this ship? We'll just be okay, So you don't like this person's Okay, you have to like everyone you hang out with all the time. You have to like you have to really enjoy everyone that you spend all your time with. You have to love every second of your life. That's a tall glass of it's a tall order. You know, you can. It's okay to have a shitty friend. Sometimes just have lunch with them. Sometimes I've done that. Sometimes I can't think of anything specific, but like sometimes I'm like with someone I'm not and i don't feel like I'm connecting with them, but I'm just sitting across from them and I've known them for a while, or i have some form of connection with them and I'm sitting across from them and I'm like, this person's really pissing me off. But they're here with me right now and I love them, so I'll just we'll just do it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't mind that either. I don't think that's a bad way of going about life. Okay, this is from Dana. Subject line, I left my boyfriend for his brother. This is Dana. I'm a huge fan of your podcast and I listened to it all the time while I'm at work. He helped me get through my day and make me feel like I'm not alone. Thank you, Dana. I used to be a raging alcoholic and make a mess everywhere I went. Now I get excited about vacuum lines. What are vacuum lines? Does she mean like cocaine or like ho? I'm googling this.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Vaculines are hoses that transport pressurized air and power vehicle components and HVAC controls. Okay, it's not cocaine, It's all I wanted to check. A few years ago, I started dating the guy from the liquor store, and I moved in with him within a few days of seeing each other. I literally just lived in his room and he would bring me home booze every night. While living there, I was introduced to his brother. I had instant attraction to him and thought he was the man of my dreams. I started sneaking into his room while my boyfriend was at work, and eventually, after a few months we got caught and then moved out together into a tent in my grandparents' backyard. I drank every single day to the point I went into alcoholic psychosis. I cut off all my hair and hid in the woods because I thought people were after me. Long story short, I'm sober now, I'm facing all my feelings, just trying to catch up in life and live a good life for myself. Can't wait to hear from you. PS. Here's my phone number, and she gave she gave me her phone number. That's the whole email. I I normally I don't use this as like a way to call people, but I kind of want to hear this woman's story. This is kind of interesting. I would like to hear this. Should we call this woman. Let's see what happens if I call this woman? Hold on, hello, Hey, what's up? This is the Gecko guy?
Speaker 5: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 1: Uh is this h Dana?
Speaker 5: Yes? It is.
Speaker 1: What's going on, Dana? How's life?
Speaker 4: Life is okay?
Speaker 5: I'm just eating some macaroni cheese from Panera.
Speaker 1: I don't normally I don't normally call people back from the Geck mails, like when they leave their phone number in the thing. But I don't know why I was. I was intrigued by your story. I kind of wanted to hear more. I wanted to hear how you're doing if you want to talk about it, that is you sent this email? Oh shit, I just look you said this email weeks ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I was really excited about it and I sent it and I told all my friends. I was like, I'm going to be on therapy.
Speaker 4: Get go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you less excited about it? Are you less excited about it now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I mean like I'm not feeling great. I'm a little under the weather, so like that's not but I am still so excited.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well.
Speaker 2: Hm hm hm hm hm.
Speaker 5: Did you want me to talk about what I sent in?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, all right.
Speaker 5: So I'm a recovering alcoholic. I have like a little over three years. But before that, I was like a crazy person. So my alcoholism got like really bad, and I was at the liquor store every day and I started dating the guy from the liquor store and so so anyway, so we started dating and then I was like I'm gonna get sober. So I like went into detox and he came. I called him and I was like this place is terrible, Like you have to get me out of here. So he he picked me up and I moved in with him. And yeah, so it was just like I basically would just like in his room like all day while he would like go to work and like he would bring me home booze. And so I met his brother and like while I was living there drinking with him and we it was like one of those you know, I'm like, you see somebody and you're like, oh my gosh, this is the love of my life. Like we are going to get married, we are going to have babies. Like he already stopped drinking. So I was like, this is like this is happening, Like all the stars are aligning. So I started dating. Well, actually we started like seeing each other and like sneaking around and my boyfriend would go to work and then his brother would come up in his room and I would just drink and we hang out and you know, like sleep with each other. And then his brother he would like go downstairs and his brother would come home from work and everything would be fine and dandy, and so that went on for like a while, and uh yeah, and then finally we got caught. I think that I got like blackout drunk one night and I like told on myself, like he was like pissing me off, and I was like, well, you know what, I'm sucking your brother. And then so I got together with his brother and like we were together now, so I like had to obviously move out of the house because his parents.
Speaker 4: Like hated me.
Speaker 5: So we moved into my grandmother had just had hip surgery and like my way in there, like I need a place to live. So I was like Grandma, like I'll help you, you know, recover from your hip surgery. And she's like okay, you know, So I started living with her, but I also was just like drinking all day long, and like I also didn't like it, like interfered with like her house is too small, so I was like, let's just pitch a tent in the back. So we lived in a tent for a while. And like I kind of said in the email, like I drank myself into alcoholic psychosis and I thought that there were like people after me, and I was just like super like paranoid, like I would like I wouldn't come out of the tent because I thought like somebody was after me. And then I ended up I don't know, like I like literally just like cut off on my hair one night, like I don't know why, and apparently occurred, like that's a thing that people do an alcoholic psychosis.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Britney spears yeah, so I pulled a Britney spears. Well, at first I cut it all off, and then I like, I don't know, I like drove all the New Jersey because I was like, I'm gonna I gotta find somebody to fix this. This is that, you know. So I don't know, I like drove all over and then ended up in like a park, like hiding in the woods because I thought that my aunt was going to call the police on me because I stole my grandma's car and her credit card and was just like in this park like drinking vodka in the woods.
Speaker 1: So lovely, I'm sorry I finished.
Speaker 5: No, So that lovely boyfriend came to my rescue and rescued me, and like this guy was like this guy.
Speaker 1: Was like my saving grace, either boyfriend or the brother.
Speaker 5: The so the brother the brother now is that is now the boyfriend. So there's the original one, the original and we'll call him Tom, and then the like the new one, you know, the brother, we'll call him Steve.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: So he was like my saving grace, Like he like came to get me out of the woods, and like we like went and stayed in a hotel room for a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how are you doing now?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: I'm great.
Speaker 5: Like I had said in the beginning, I have three years sober. Yeah. I clean houses and I am really involved in AA and I have a lot of friends and I do like normal people thing. I don't go and hide in the woods anymore. I you know, on a Saturday, I'm eating Panera bread just kind of resting and hanging out. And yeah, like life is good now. Like I was able to go back to school and get my ged like basically like men relationships with like everybody that like I traumatized, and yeah, like life is life is great now. Like now it's almost like I actually told somebody the story because I was like, I'm going on therapy Gecko, like it is happening. And I told somebody like I read the email like that I sent you to them, and they were like, no, way that.
Speaker 1: Was that was not you really okay, So you're it's that So this is the person who met you after you got sober.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So I don't pull Britney spears. They don't hide in the woods, they don't date people's brothers. I do still not have great relationship skills. I recently just got out of a three year relationship which was just a shit show. He was a lot older than me, and it was just it was just not not good.
Speaker 1: Did you mend your relationship with the original liquor store guy?
Speaker 5: So I actually, like I wrote a whole a letter to the whole entire family and apologize to the whole entire family.
Speaker 1: Interesting, yeah, like the like, were you like you had a relationship like with his mom and dad and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, his mom.
Speaker 1: How did they take it?
Speaker 5: I don't know because I just mailed it. So I just kind of sent it in the mail and just hope for the best. And I felt like it was like one of those things, like all the destruction that I did to that family, it's best off that I never speak to them ever again.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, that makes sense. It's interesting.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I when you're like drinking vodka with all, like when you're bald drinking vodka like shivering in the park, you kinda there's some inclination to be like, well, this is it for me, you know. So it's nice to hear. It's nice to hear that there's a life beyond that. I wouldn't be surprised if there's people listening to this, listening to us talk right now in their headphones that are drinking vodka on the ground at a park, you know what I mean, So it'd be it's cool. It's cool to me. It's cool the idea that this is like someone's doing that while we're talking right now, and then there they'll hear you and be like, all right, maybe we can be not doing that, you know. Yeah, absolutely, Like I like a story of hope. I'm I'm a big fan of stories of hope.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, Like you know, because that's not anything like actually like pay bills now, I you know, like I'm like a regular ass adult, Like I do things now that I'm like I didn't even know, like I didn't even know how to go to work every day, Like I didn't even know that that was like a thing, and like now I'm able to like hold a job and like also like not completely lose my mind, you know. But it's like it does when you're in the grips of addiction. It literally feels like there's nothing, there's no other option but suicide, you know, Like.
Speaker 4: That's where I was, like I thought that.
Speaker 5: My only way out was to kill myself. And like, just like the life I always get like weepy about it, but like the life that I have today, I did not know what's possible, you know, like I you couldn't if you were to tell me three years ago that my life would look the way that it does right now, I would not believe you. You know, like the most amazing things have happened to me in the last three years, you know, like I say, my life didn't start until three years ago.
Speaker 1: And you did it all without Jesus, right, Oh, I did it with Jesus. Oh you got Jesus. That's okay, Jesus. How's Jesus?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, I believe in God, you know. I think it's more so I know that, Like you know, I remember like getting sober, like you know, being in rehab and stuff, and people would be like, oh, you know, I believe in God. I'd be like shut the fuck up, like what are you talking about? Or even like people that would say their life got better, I'm like, you are so full of shit, it's not even funny. And I feel like it's you know, but somebody broke it down to me and was like okay, like You're not the boss of your life, you know what I mean. And when you try to control your life, look where you end up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: And I stopped trying to control my life and started to just be like a better person and to you know, do the right thing and not be an apple like sometimes like some days, like it's like I'm like, don't be an apple, you know, like talk to God, don't be an asshole.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm what, uh, Well, before we go, do you have any plans for the future.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 5: I plan on going back to school. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, you know, Like I thought about being like a peer recovery specialist, which is like basically somebody who is in recovery that you know, helps other people get through. But then there's also like that uh you know, like I just I want something. I want to be a boss, like at at at work, I have like I'm like a trainer and I'm basically like in management. So like I never knew that, like I have that like boss bitch like thing, you know, like when people are just like like like leaders, like natural leaders, Like I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for sharing your story with this, Dana. I'm glad the things are working out again. I like a good story of hope. So I'm glad the things are working out for you, and you're, uh, you're not. It's a good It's always good. I always any message we can send out into the universe that there's better things to do than kill yourself, I think is good.
Speaker 5: I think so too, because yeah, I have you know, it's crazy. I actually came across the video of myself that I took after I tried to kill myself, and I said, how like terrible life was and how I just want peace, you know, And it's like, yeah, I didn't see any other way, Like I didn't see things getting better, Like I didn't have any hope, and like just you know, from then that was like maybe six years ago and like to now, it's like, I'm so grateful that I held on.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, beautiful, Thank you for Thank you for Sharon, Dana. I hope you have a good rest of the day. Thanks for picking up this phone call randomly in the middle of the day, three and a half weeks after sending this email. You're true, You're a real one for that.
Speaker 5: No, but like, am I going to be on your podcast on Spotify because I listen to you on Spotify like all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this will be on Spotify.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I am so excited. I'm going to show everybody, like I don't think you understand how.
Speaker 4: Cool, and like when we get off.
Speaker 5: The phone, I'm gonna call my best friend because I'm so excited about this.
Speaker 1: All right, cool. I just don't read the comments. They're means sometimes, Okay, I won't read them.
Speaker 5: That's fine, Okay, thanks for sure.
Speaker 1: To have a go in Dana, all right, YouTube, bye bye o, Thane. That was Dana. It was a good email. I like, again, I like a good story.
Speaker 3: A hope.
Speaker 1: Well because we well, I don't know if we've all been there, but you have been there for sure, not necessarily with like an alcohol thing, but like, uh, you know, I just think I know what it's like to be like, oh shit, I don't think there's another thing to do besides you know, the the thing. But good, there's not I mean there, I mean there is. There's other things you can do. You can you can eat a Panera bread. This whole thing has been an ad for Panera bread. Thank of Shanett's story. Dana, I don't normally call people after they leave their phone number and they get mail. But I'm glad I did. I'm glad we get to hear that story. Okay, And I know I've only read two emails so far. Maybe I can find a short one that we can end with. This is from Noah. Hey, dude, I've recently started to smoke weed again, and while most of my experiences were positive, I've started doing this thing where I get really fucking high and I watch nature docs. The thing is, every nature doc is kind of geared to make you feel bad and show you how you are really destroying everything. I usually end up feeling mad, sad, and overall bad. What do you think about the the way we are treating the world? Anyway, A new Pokemon game came out today, so apart from the world burning and ice caps melting, it's pretty good. I have a shit job that pays the bills and lets me do my real passion playing Pokemon. I'm the same guy who you helped join my local Pokemon communities. Oh, I remember you, I remember you and who got broke over it? And I'll play the creating card game and the video game I've started playing. I also started playing bad mitton four times a week. Please come to the East coast of Canada or Maine. Sent from my Samsung smart fridge. That is kind of funny, man, that you kind of you got high and you were like, let's just watch a chill thing, and then I attacked you with messages of how the world is exploding. I talked about it a little bit with that other guy earlier in the episode. And again I don't mean it to be apathetic, but you know, it all goes to zero. Man, enjoy it, play Pokemont, look at stuff. Just enjoy your life. I mean, try to have a little I don't know. I in my life, I try to have a little bit of balance between enjoying it and achieving my aspirations, whatever they may be. So, you know, if you aspire to not destroy the planet, then you know, play Pokemon, throw the wrappers of the trading cards in the recycling bin. Don't start a multi billion dollar corporation that lobbies against environmental protections. That's really all you gotta do. It's not that difficult. I think that was therapy.
Speaker 3: Get go.
Speaker 1: I think that was therapy. Gecko. I think we did it. I think we talked to a lot of people today. I think we got a lot of stories. I think we got a lot of stuff to put in people's ears. I'm happy with it. I'm proud of it. And I really have to I really have to poop. I really have to poop. I'm gonna go do that right now. I'm gonna go poop. So thank you guys very much for listening to this show. Do me a favor if you want to. I'm gonna I'm planning a tour in the twenty twenty six So if you want to, go to the link in the episode description or go to therapy geckotour dot com and give me your information. I'll text you when I'm coming to your city in twenty twenty six. It's very helpful for me if you go to therapy geckotour dot com and put your information in that thing so I can let you know when I'm coming to your city to do my little Gecko show. This year's next year's show is going to be like I'm aiming for it to be like half of me telling stories from my life, and I've got a nice bit of a you know, fun stuff to share. It's been rattle around my brain. It's a little bit more written and less stream of consciousness, and then of course half talking to the audience as we normally do. Also, I'm trying to make there be less ads in the show. I'm sorry. I know there's a lot of fucking ads, but I went in to the thing and I made there be less ads, so there should hopefully be less crazy ads. Thanks for bearing with me on that. Thank you guys for being here. Get bless see you all around the universe. Goes on the line, taking your phone calls every night. Never Beacon goes to and and Ride.
Speaker 2: He's teaching you.
Speaker 1: A loud and of your life. He's not an expert.