Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Damn from Chicon where conventions.
Speaker 1: Oh it's going really really well.
Speaker 2: It's the Daily.
Speaker 1: Shows Indecision twenty twenty four, the.
Speaker 3: Democratic National Conventions broadcast with your host Jordan Clover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, welcome to the Daily Show. I oh oh, we are hearing Sicago.
Speaker 5: Everybody allay? Oh wait, I gotta say, I gotta say this week has been lovely for me personally because I spent some seriously formative years living in Chicago doing comedy. So yes, yes, thank you. This city is in my blood. And by that I mean I suffer from a Duck's hot dog induced cholesterol problem. Worth it. But we're here to talk about the Democratic National Convention, so let's get into Indecision.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, it was night two of the DNC, and the positive vibes were still going strong. People were dancing, they were singing, they were cheering, they were putting in visiline. In poor Mastard, He's thinking, there's twenty thousand people in this arena. There's no way the camera's is going to be pointed at me for two seconds while I take on my visil line. I mean in front of the whole world. You know, his dentist was like, the best part of the Visil line is that no one will ever.
Speaker 6: Know you have it.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean, who is the cameraman who staked out this guy for thirty hours just to get that two second shot? You know, this is a convention, not a planet Earth shoots.
Speaker 7: Watch the aging Liberals slowly prepare his mouth to attract to meet.
Speaker 5: Now, the actual purpose of the convention is to officially nominate the party's presidential ticket, and they do that through a state role call. Here's what that looked like at the Republican Convention a few weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Pursuing to the announcement of the delegation and the rules and procedures of this convention.
Speaker 5: Oklahoma forty three votes President Trump. Okay, I get it. A lady who runs an orphanage counts the votes and that's that. But last night the Democrats changed things up a bit.
Speaker 4: Georgia, how do you catch your vote?
Speaker 7: Jeez, ladies and gentlemen, we are need today.
Speaker 2: Ahead.
Speaker 8: Who is stuck se turn out the water?
Speaker 2: Bo whoo?
Speaker 5: Who I didn't know politics was so lych. I'm gonna start voting. I just know that when little John wrote this song. He was thinking to himself, this will absolutely rip. At the twenty twenty four Democrat Natural Convention. I'd love to hear someone explaining to the older white delegates who little John is. Who's a rapper?
Speaker 9: Mom?
Speaker 5: You know that musical genre invented by lin Manuel Miranda. They actually had a DJ spinning song from each state as they came up. He played Motown Philly for Pennsylvania, a Chapel Rohan song for her home state of Missouri. Iowa probably had Happy Birthday or some shit. Not a big music state. Personally, I can't wait to see my home state of Michigan show. Yeah, palms are sweating, mom, spaghetti, you got the mic, Michigan. Make me proud, Michigan.
Speaker 2: How do you cast your vote?
Speaker 1: The origin together, Michigan?
Speaker 2: Chess threes gent.
Speaker 5: Twenty five posts?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: You embarrassed usn't front of Illinois, Michigan. Come on, Michigan, how did you mess that up? You can't say a simple number, but you know how to say ipsil Annie. Come on, this is why you go to rehearsal, ladies. You literally only had one shot and you missed your chance to blow this opportunity comes.
Speaker 2: Once in a lifetime.
Speaker 5: Yo, you know what, Let's see if Illinois did any better.
Speaker 10: The great state of Illinois, Verry stay home up for presidents including President Frock Obama, the first place of skyscrapers in the adopted.
Speaker 2: Home of Superman.
Speaker 5: Okay, started out strong. Seems like a pretty steep drop off from presidents and skyscrapers to the adopted home of a made up comic book character. I mean you had nothing in between that, Like Michael Jordan, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He JV.
Speaker 5: JAV Come on, I mean, last time I checked, there's no Superman steakhouse in Chicago. For more on the DNC roll Call, let's go live now to the Illinois Delegation with Desi leideck.
Speaker 11: Zie V.
Speaker 5: I gotta know what you think at the adopted home of Superman and what do you make of that choice?
Speaker 12: Well, that was a huge missed opportunity, Jordan. The committee claims that this was the best they could come up with. But there's so many better options when you're talking about a great state like Illinois.
Speaker 5: Right obviously, of course, So what would you have gone with?
Speaker 12: Well, I've been here since Monday, so I'm officially an expert on Illinois history. How about Illinois, home of the notorious serial killer John Wayne Gasey.
Speaker 5: Don't think that would have played bezie Okay?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 12: Or Illinois where four of our last ten governors went to prision?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't think that one's better.
Speaker 12: Okay, Fine, what about Illinois and the winner?
Speaker 2: You'll phrase your tits off?
Speaker 5: Okay, I think we're good.
Speaker 6: Deasilonick, everybody, let's move on. I want to move on because after the roll call, it was time for the speeches, and the headliners were Barack and Michelle Obama.
Speaker 5: America Hope is making a comeback.
Speaker 8: America's running for a new chapter, America's running que better story. We are ready for President Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: You know what I almost forgot how charming and inspirational the Obamas are. Frankly, it's a shot of adrenaline to see these masters of the craft. You sort of want to sit in it. You know, I almost don't want to listen to anybody else. But you know what the Democrats have been telling us, they have a deep bench. So let's see these exciting up and comers tap into the energy and the charisma the Obamas.
Speaker 13: In my state, we like things spicy, a little chilly on everything, a little pick in our campaigns.
Speaker 14: And let me tell you, we are feeling in fuego right now.
Speaker 5: You know what, maybe another quick hit of that Obama arm for a second.
Speaker 13: We believe that true freedom gives each of us the right to make decisions about our own life, how we worship, what our family looks like, how many kids we have, who we marry, And we believe that freedom requires us to recognize that other people have the freedom to make choices that are different than ours.
Speaker 5: That's okay, oh.
Speaker 15: Oh oh, oh oh.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's the good stuff, you know.
Speaker 5: Inject that hope and changing shit into my veins. Whoa, you know, but I can't just get high off these guys all night. You know, there's other products out there, like like Kamala Harris's husband, Doug Emma. You know, yeah, why don't I give him a chance to touch my heart with his moving story of the first time he called Kamala for a date.
Speaker 16: I got Kamala's voicemail and I just started rambling, Hey it's Doug, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: That sure is a Doug. Has there ever been a more guy named Doug. In history, if your name's Doug, this is who you are. But maybe maybe we're asking too much of Doug. He's a political spouse. You don't expect a political spouse to be able to rile up a crowd.
Speaker 2: I want to know.
Speaker 8: I want to know who's gonna tell him, who's gonna tell him that's the job.
Speaker 2: He's currently seeking.
Speaker 1: Might just be one of those black jobs.
Speaker 5: Oh that's not a Doug. Uh, not an ounce of Doug on it. Don't the Democrats have anyone else who can tap into that cool Obama swagger. Please welcome Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer. No, No, that's a dog.
Speaker 1: That is a dog.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry. When you see these two up on stage, it's very clear that for all the talk Democrats have about not looking back, they sure love to live in two thousand and eight. I frankly, who can blame them? Nobody else in their party can capture their vision of the future or speak to their values, and perhaps most importantly, nobody else can get under Trump's skin in just the right way.
Speaker 13: There's the child thish nicknames, the crazy conspiracy theories, this weird obsession with crowd sizes, oh oh.
Speaker 17: Oh oh oh oh h.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I see what he did there. Huh yeah, yeah, that's that's brutal. That's the second time this summer the Secret Service has failed to protect trug from a lethal attack.
Speaker 5: For more on the dick joke heard round the Beam, let's go live to Ronnie Chang.
Speaker 2: Ronny, Ronnick, I gotta stay.
Speaker 5: If you get online or on TV, everyone is talking about that dick joke.
Speaker 17: That's right, Jordan, that's a new democratic messaging. Weird is out. Trump's got a small penis is in.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, so that's it. They're not using weird anymore.
Speaker 17: Oh no, no, no, sorry for the confusion. It's both his penis is small and weird.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, all right, all right, so that's it. No policy, it's just gonna be immature innuendo from Noah.
Speaker 17: Yes, the dick joke's a major attack line, and they're only gonna get bigger, then smaller, then after a brief refractory period of up to fifteen minutes, huge again. So right now it's just a hand gesture. Next week they're going to say the border wall isn't the only thing Trump can get up and and by and by election night, Obama is going to be like this guy's dick.
Speaker 1: It is small.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, okay, but so what Trump will just deny it?
Speaker 1: Jordan.
Speaker 17: I don't think that's gonna be enough, because Obama knows this game plan. He's going to say, prove it, show us the Gulf certificate.
Speaker 5: Oh, I would be I'd be careful, Ronnie. Trump might actually whip out his genitals.
Speaker 17: Right well, if he does, that would be a microaggression.
Speaker 1: You see, you see how easy this is.
Speaker 17: This is not hot at all, just like Trump's penis.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, okay, look, Ronnie, I don't think it's going to be effective to ignore policy and just accuse your opponents of having small decks. I mean, whatever happened to when they go low we go high?
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, whatever happened to that brilliant twenty sixteen strategy that totally walked out for that? I mean, fasic Jordan, taking the moral high ground doesn't work anymore, just like Trump's dick.
Speaker 5: Great political this course, Ronnie, shang everybody, and we come back.
Speaker 2: We try to interview with Tim who what else?
Speaker 1: Go away?
Speaker 15: This is.
Speaker 14: A back to the Daily Jack.
Speaker 2: It's a few miles away from the convention.
Speaker 5: Here is Chicago and all the Democratic stars and our grace Coolan Schmid went over to try to interview one of the biggest.
Speaker 9: I came to the convention with a dream to interview Tim Wallas, also known as America's Death.
Speaker 1: This is America's dad quote, big Dad energy, Big Dad energy.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, America's Dad seemed to be a very difficult interview to get.
Speaker 1: Governor Waltz. Governor Watz, Governor Waltz. Governor Waltz is doing his best job of ignoring me right now.
Speaker 9: If I was going to catch Tim Walls, I needed to lure him in with a trap that a dad could not resist. Can anyone help me with this pie for my date?
Speaker 5: Shoot? Shoot?
Speaker 1: Shoot?
Speaker 9: Did anyone know how to use a studfinder? Does anyone know how to fill out a baseball.
Speaker 1: Score sheet by hand?
Speaker 9: Does anyone want this copy of Rudy on Blu Ray?
Speaker 2: Come on, I know you want it.
Speaker 9: And now we wait?
Speaker 1: Are you most excited to hear talk to them? I'm really good part of seeing Rocco Bam, You're cute. Do you happen to have convertible?
Speaker 9: You could recklessly drive me around in post No one's within earshot who might want to put their foot down.
Speaker 1: It's not this still advise romance got hopped up.
Speaker 9: Leading up to a ben gate and a beer, perfect trap with sim walls.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stoup a cigarette unless someone.
Speaker 9: Stops me post no one catches me, makes me souk the whole pact larn lepon, whoa.
Speaker 5: I'm going absolutely crazy now?
Speaker 15: Oh Jude, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I just got a ticket to a roy orbised cover band.
Speaker 9: Does anyone want it? Anyone know if there is an LL be nearby?
Speaker 2: I don't know if we'll get to the voting booth this year.
Speaker 9: I don't know how to drive stick.
Speaker 1: Is there anyone here with your teacher?
Speaker 9: Trodden and deflated? I had one last idea.
Speaker 5: Anyone around here know if this fire extinguisher is.
Speaker 2: Up to come?
Speaker 18: I see the twenty twenty four or on here I see February punched out?
Speaker 9: Are you tim Wolves all right thereman?
Speaker 8: Thank you guys.
Speaker 4: When we come back, Governor west Or, let me go to Mayor on the show up my way?
Speaker 14: Huh, welcome back to the Daily Show. I guess tonight is the Democratic governor of Maryland.
Speaker 5: Please welcome Governor Wes Moore. Wow, Ah, that's a Midwest love that.
Speaker 1: This must be a democratic audience here.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: We can check on that. I'm not sure West. Let me get this straight. You are a Rhodes scholar, a college football athlete, an Army combat veteran, a nonprofit CEO, and a governor of Maryland. Fair to say, the most impressive resume on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I've seen yours yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a people like an improv teacher for ten years. Then they're going to be very impressed. You're speaking tonight at the convention.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking tonight. Yes.
Speaker 5: I spent a little time over there talking to people yesterday, and there is an energy. People keep talking about this vibe. I'm curious what you've seen and do you think this energy now is actually going to translate into electoral success.
Speaker 1: It will, and the vibe and the energy is real because I think both people see that there is a clear path to victory and they understand what's at stake. I think that we have this kind of unique thing that's happening right now where we both have the moment and you have the candidate, where you have both the moment of people understanding that we're talking about the ideas of economic freedoms, We're talking about the fact that we should be a country that should be respected. We're talking about we should be a country that actually has a chance, where the idea of an American dream shouldn't be a punchline for communities.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 1: And and we have a candidate whose life embodies fighting for freedoms, whose life embodies protecting us from predators, whose life embodies standing up and raising her hand when the country asked her to. And so I think this combination that we have right now or Vice President Harris and Governor Wallace is great because it's like, this is what victory feels like, and this will mean being probably a healthy.
Speaker 5: Sounds like you're measuring some drapes here, is that right?
Speaker 1: Well, no, because we have work to do, you know, and listen. And I remember, you know, when I joined the army when I was seventeen years old. In fact, I and like real talk, real talk. When I first joined, I was so young my mother had to sign the paperwork for me. Really yeah, But after my teenage year she signed whatever paperwork they army put in front of her. It was actually pretty easy. But we learned something. There is this idea that nothing is given, everything is earned. Nothing is given, everything is earned, right, And I think the way we are looking at this race right now is we've got to go earn it. We've got to go earn it with every voter, We've got to go earn it with every community, We've got to go earn it with every constituency. And we have now seventy six days to go out there and earn it. And that's exactly what you plan on doing now, I.
Speaker 5: Think I will say though there there's an excitement, but a criticism is there's not a lot of policy right now. And there's a big question, how would the Kamala Harris administration look different than what the Biden administration would look like? Do you see this as a continuation of the Biden policies or a marked difference with the Kamala Harris administration.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing, I want to be fair, the policies and the impacts that we've seen fromant President Biden and the Biden Harris administration have been pretty remarkable. And so we cannot this idea, this idea that the vice president in order to win or order to have a successful presidency, should do some hard pivot from the work that her and President Biden did together. I would just say, the only problem with that argument is facts on on your side. Right that. Let's forget when when the presidents of go over we just finished, we almost had an attempted coup in this country.
Speaker 5: I know I was there.
Speaker 1: Yes you are, Yes, you are.
Speaker 5: Working, working, to be clear working.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm glad we established that difference.
Speaker 5: To be clear, this goes on tape and the election doesn't go the way you want. I want it to be very clear.
Speaker 1: But I think the idea of her putting out policies, I think she's already begun to do that. She's already talked about things like she is going to have an expansion of the child tax credit to six thousand dollars, which, by the way, which would be one of the most which will she enact that. When she enacts that, that is going to be one of the most effective ways to fight child poverty that we have seen in this nation's history. So she's already starting to put things out that are really important, get up their exciting, do you imagine?
Speaker 5: And so in Maryland, you've been pushing some pretty progressive angles when it comes to climate change, gun control, healthcare. Do you see the Harris administration following suit and helping in that way.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that everything we've gotten done in Maryland has been because we've had a great partner in the Bidenhairs administration. I mean, look at what's happened in our state. When I was inaugurated, Maryland was ranked forty third in the country in unemployment. Right now, for twelve straight months, Maryland has amongst the lowest unemployment rates in the entire country.
Speaker 2: Who are.
Speaker 1: Our unemployment rate right now is two point eight percent. That we said we have now have a legalized cannabis market inside the state of Maryland. But I said, I said, there's no way that we are going to celebrate the benefits of legalization if we do not address the consequences of criminalization.
Speaker 11: And so and so about you know, a couple months ago, I signed the largest map pardon for cannabis convictions in the history of the United States. But the reason the reason I bring those things up is this, it was all done because I had the right partner in Washington. I had a White House that actually saw us, that worked with us, and so all the momentum that we are seeing when it comes to economic growth, the momentum Maryland now has the fastest drop in homicides and violent crimes in the entire country right now. This is all happening because we have the right kind of partner that we need in Washington.
Speaker 5: And to be clear, is now an appropriate time to celebrate the legalization of marijuana? Oh, I've justerved. My parents are in the audience. I just want to sign off from a governor in case I choose to partake. I'm curious. As an army veteran, Tim Waltz is catching some flack from p on the right about, as they would characterize it, a mischaracterizing of his credentials as a vet. Is there any amount of service that Republicans won't criticize, Like, how do you see that?
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, is disappointing, it's disingenuous, and frankly, it's pretty dangerous. And particularly, I'm gonna be very honest, the fact that this is coming from jd Vance is actually comical. And I'm gonna tell you why. Jd Vance and I deeply respect the service of Corporal jd Vance. The work that he did in the military. He should also deeply respect the service of sergeant Major Tim Wallace.
Speaker 5: Well, and I'm not as I'm not as well versed in the pecking order, but it seems like sergeant majors are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like you know, listen, when you join the military, if you stay in for a certain amount of time, you hit corporal. Right in, one percent of all noncommissioned officers will hit the rank of sergeant major. Okay, so this is just fat most people. If you stay in long enough, you hit corporal.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, I say, stop wasting on that couch, right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: But you know, but I do, and it goes back to this whole idea of patriotism, which I do. Listen, I I serve my country and I let soldiers in combat in Afghanistan. I'm deeply proud of my service. I'm I am. I am in love with my country. I love this country. And I just find it really interesting that you know that we're watching on the other side where there's like the idea of patriotism means like having sexual relations with the flag on the side, which which by the way, just just a total tie comment. I don't know what is up with that ticket and their obsession with fabrics.
Speaker 5: They they really they must love the feel on the skin.
Speaker 1: I love the feel on the skin. Nothing like it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the soldiers do they respect? Somebody humping the flags an action of disrespect. I saw you post about your speech tonight that was gonna be tough. I'm curious what you have in store. I'm also curious in watching this, who the audience is for the dance.
Speaker 1: You know, I think a lot of the audience is going to be for me. It's the people who are the disaffected. It's the people who you know, when we say people who are undecided, it's not even just the people who are undecided between Vice President Kamala Harris and Donald Trump. It's the people who are undecided. They're going to go out to the polls, you know. And I tell you this is it's actually very personal me because you know, when I ran for governor, I had some family members who I had to convince the vote for me.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, real talk. And isn't that I'm not cool my family.
Speaker 19: That that might be a little bit family, but but I had to convince them to vote, Like I don't come I don't come from a political family.
Speaker 1: I don't come from a political background. Uh, that's not something. It's it's not like like I have members of my family who are like, oh man, election Day was last week. Yeah, but that's real, you know what I mean. And I think that's real for a lot of folks. I think that the the demo that we've got to speak to are the ones, frankly, who still hold a measure of skepticism in their heart, who look at the history of this country and say, you know what, this country hasn't always been fair, and we have to be honest and look at them and say, you're right that they can say, you know what, the history of this country has been uneven, and you have to look at them and say, spot on.
Speaker 18: However, however, we we do have to be clear that you can hold that skepticism in your heart, and you should, but that does not mean disengage.
Speaker 1: Because the people of some of the greatest patriots that we have had in our history are people who actually understood the measure of brokenness that we had in our politics, and who still showed up every day and fought for a better country. That's what we need.
Speaker 5: Some have said you might have aspirations for that big office someday. After watching politics over the last twelve years, I guess my question would be.
Speaker 1: Why I get to tell you I am a I cannot be more excited to have Kamala Harris to b the next president United States. And let me tell you why. I remember when months ago when the key bridge collapsed in Baltimore, and I remember at two or two in the morning when my phone and I was told that we now had thousands of workers who now lost their jobs, we now had thirteen percent of my economy that was shut down, and that we had six workers who were fixing potholes in one hundred and eighty feet in the air that night who were now missing. And I remember one of the first calls I got that morning was from Vice President Kamala Harris. I cannot tell you enough how much it means to have a vice president, And the President called me that morning as well. First phone call I got from the White House was at three point thirty that morning. As a chief executive, as someone who believes in my state and believes in our people, I cannot tell you enough how much it means to have a White House that is willing to be your partner in the work, and that's willing to support you in net work, and who understands that everybody should be seen and supported, whether they voted for you or not.
Speaker 2: Governor west Boer, love will flick back.
Speaker 5: We were right back after that.
Speaker 2: That's our Selsey tonight. What is tomorrow for the final night at the Day End's day? When we go live?
Speaker 5: I love it thir day with your host Good Stewart.
Speaker 2: Oh here it is.
Speaker 1: I love it is that Obama, while the crying polarization of the country did make a you know what joke.
Speaker 9: But with Obama, because he's so classy, it seemed really funny to make the anatomy joke.
Speaker 12: Was officially talking about crowd sizes, but was clearly something else underneath it.
Speaker 5: You know what he was doing.
Speaker 1: He was being slick right there, being slick when we're president.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 5: Paramount Podcasts