Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You Dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Steeler Nation. It's the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network. What Shouler and Matt Williamson with you here for the next three hours on this Tuesday, as another day of practice. The practice overall these second in pads is in the books. And Matt, it was a hot one today. It's hot out there right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems to be getting warmer, that's for sure. I mean, I didn't think when I came in watching practice it was scorching, but starting to heat up, starting to feel I'm not ready called the dog days or anything of that nature, but it is. You know, we're into this thing now and it's a padded practice, and it's no longer we haven't seen much. I can't you know before you know what this thing's will be over. We're near in the halfway mark.
Speaker 2: We absolutely are. It happens very fast, and not just the pace of the Mike McCarthy practices that are very fast, but certainly these three weeks that just always seemed to fly by. And it was another frantic practice today, high paced. Yeah, today, a lot going on, Matt, and I'd figure we'll start theirs. That's probably what we'll do now that we're into again more more substantial and lengthier practices. One hundred and ten minute practice today, so just a little under two hours and a lot of ground covered.
Speaker 3: I found out last night doing the Night Show with Jerry that that's an NFL rule. Yes, So it goes from acclimation to like yeah, yeah, to one hundred and ten and then I think they can go up. I don't know how many hundred and tens are allowed. Okay, if you go over, it's a violation or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I think at some point it can be like one hundred and thirty minutes or something you can get to.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what happened for that two hours.
Speaker 3: Well I'm there in this thing. Yeah, but there's different phases more than just pads and no pads.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yes, absolutely, absolutely everything is collectively bargained nowadays, it seems in the structures and the time allotment in practice is certainly no different, Matt. I had a couple of observations for you, in fact, three specific players that I wanted to talk to you about.
Speaker 4: All that's a good place to start that I.
Speaker 2: Thought really stood out today and have started to overall carve out good camps for themselves. Let's start first, we start.
Speaker 4: To that point, we'd be like, well, he's having a good camp, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, six practices in. It's starting to become a trend, right, and one trend that I'm really liking, Matt. And I know all of our listeners will like this, and I know it warms your heart. But the first round pick, he's the first one I want to talk about here, mad Maxie Honacher looks the part. He already he there hasn't seemingly been any rookie moments, not only just in stature and watching him out there move around as he look the part, but we've the last two days seen him do a lot of one on one pass rush stuff with everyone you know, from TJ. Watt to Herbig and everyone in between, and man, not only has he holding his own, he's really standing out as a guy who might be one of their best offensive linemen already or at least real soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this is gonna sound loftier than it should, but just bear with me for a second. That because something that I repeated before I ever saw him any Steeler helmet or pads or mini camp or any of those things too. And everyone knows we were really high on this guy pre draft. But it's Greg Cosell and or I forget who else. It might have been Dane.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: There's two two of the analysts that I really like that that you know or super draft oriented, and they both said the same thing about Max and they said, hey, he's not this guy and maybe he'll never be like this guy.
Speaker 4: And we know he doesn't played a.
Speaker 3: Ton of football in his career, but he looks like one of those elite and I don't use that word very often, elite offensive tackles like a Walter Jones.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. I mean like Hall of Fame type guys.
Speaker 3: Just the way he holds his body, the way he moves, what he was gifted with.
Speaker 4: You know, from the womb, the stuff you can't coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and obviously he's worked on his feet and you know his size and strength and stuff too, and come out of the.
Speaker 4: Wom looking like that.
Speaker 3: But he has the traits, I guess is the way that the elite guys have. Now that's great. JaMarcus Russell had elite traits, right. It's a wonderful start, don't get me wrong. But just these last two days, and I don't want to overreact to two days, they've done those one on one line drills, which I think are the highlight of these practices. Thus far, we've not seen backs on backers.
Speaker 4: But that's a full go. He's looked.
Speaker 3: He's lived up to that, you know, just in terms of quickness off the ball, knee bend, ankle flexion, to be a real nerd, strength, stature, ability to redirect after he's you know, maybe beaten, on the first move quickness.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's.
Speaker 3: Faced several different players and today is no exception. And does he win every rep. No, But I haven't seen a true weakness in his game. You even see him lose like clear, you know, Sawyer often tries to go right through them. What yesterday tried to bull rush him right up the middle. None of that was, None of that's worked at all on him. He just squats down, sits, absorbs it, and then starts dishing out punishment with his hands and starts to manhandle him when he's you know, got got him in the middle of his frame. Guys that are beating him with technique like what I saw it once and then not again. Yep, her big with his speed and explosion and bend. Okay, he kind of pushed him up the arc on a rep, but it was high up the arc.
Speaker 4: And he was realized, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could tell that was a different type of challenge for him. Let's just say he looks the part, yes, And I couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 4: This is what I had hoped.
Speaker 3: And semi envisioned whenever we did a million mock drafts before he was ever a Pittsburgh Steeler, and I think they may go down in a week draft class and look at this and be like, how did that guy fall that twenty one first roun Yeah, I mean with the trades premium position in premium trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. He's he's been very impressive. I unfortunately yesterday I shared this with everybody, and you know, you knew it. I was a little late to practice yesterday because my youngest daughter and we just had some stuff going on at home and you know, needed needed to wait, so kids happened, you know, you know things things happened when you have kids, and had to wait for, you know, for some reinforcements to get there before I could leave the house. So I missed that portion of practice yesterday. The defensive lineman did one on ones, but you would kind of painted the picture for me and for our audience about how impressive Max was at his first go round for that. So today I was all, uh, all ready to go, and all all eyes were on that drill for the for you know, the ten or twelve minutes that that was going on. There was a lot of other and you know, just in general, all those guys on the offensive line or I think very intriguing stories for their own reason, but especially Mad Max. Wanted to get my first real look at him in a contact, one on one situation and it did not disappoint man. He looks the part, and I think the Steelers might have an absolute stud on their hands. And in Big Mad Max.
Speaker 3: They did some team stuff as well, where he'd come off the ball in the run game.
Speaker 4: Didn't disappoint there either.
Speaker 3: And these aren't you know, low down the line guys playing again, I mean it's DJ Watt often, you know, because Max is going to rotate at this point with Cook at the right tackle position if people aren't aware of how that's going. But I mentioned the labs while we were watching this too. I'm like, sure, seems like Cook's getting more and more snaps on the left side. Is he in the process of becoming the swing tackle, which very well could be the case. Like, I don't know if Max knows's assignments. He's never been in the stadium. As coach used to say, you know what.
Speaker 2: I mean, seventy thousand people screaming right.
Speaker 4: Lights and right.
Speaker 3: I mean that doesn't mean that you can go to Baltimore and trust him and all those things.
Speaker 4: But I gotta think they have.
Speaker 3: To be considering just say Cook, you're the three and go from there or Broderick or whatever. But I mean they may have a pair of bookends that rivals like the Chargers.
Speaker 2: You know, that would be a good position to find yourself in. So that was the first guy specifically that I wanted to talk about. Let's stay on the offense because two of them are offensive players, ones on the defensive side of the ball, So we'll stay on the offense here. The other is Darnell Washington. Yeah, Mount Washington, who Matt. I want to be very careful when I say this, because it's not like he's walking around here and noticeably dropped a bunch of weight, But he does look like he's trimmed down just a little slightly, and man, I think, man, he's moving fluidly and getting out in routes. And again, not that he lost a ton of weight, not that he is like noticeably thin or anything like that. Yeah he's not two forty, yeah, exactly right, exactly right, But he just looks a little more trim and a little more mobile, little more fluid out there, and he's looked he's looked really good running around, maybe a little extra burst to his game and and wow, I think he's going to just be a weapon and punish some people this season.
Speaker 3: So Brian Backo was just sitting there with us for fifteen minutes or whatever, and we kind of had this conversation while practice was going on. And to Brian's you know, credit, you kind of believe some of these things with a grain of salt, And he was the same way, and he's like, I guess he asked Washington, you know what you weigh and he's like, it doesn't tell you the numbers and all those things too. But also Washington said something along the lines of, more than any off season, I've been really working on my conditioning, which smells a lot like best Shape your life cliche, you know, right right, I mean that's what players his age.
Speaker 2: I'll buy it, though, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I mean Rob's every practice I've watched with Rob, he says it over and over. He's like, he looks different to me. He looks skinnier, and just focusing on him, his waiste in particular seems trimmer, you know, like he looks.
Speaker 4: More ripped.
Speaker 3: I mean again, you know, like he's it probably got a little bit of the the baby weight off him, a little bit, some of the softness, and he never had like a gut or anything. He's just an enormous human being. But you could just see that he's a little more tapered. He's a little leaper. That's that's the word I was looking for for the last minute or two. And you're right, I think he moves better. I mean, he's never going to be fast by by tight ends.
Speaker 2: We're never going to call him twitchy.
Speaker 3: No, but there was times where his feet would stick in the g for a while. Bronosaurus steps on the end and takes a second to get going. Now he seems to open it up quicker, and we've all seen him open it up. His top speed is okay, you know, I mean he's again, he's offaly, just gonna run down the scene, pass safeties all day long. But I think he's moving in and out of his breaks a lot better, seems to control his body a lot better. And I was already impressed with those things for his size. You know, he's one of my favorite players on the team.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, he certainly is. I think anyone who's listened to our show over the last couple of years. Knows how fond you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're picking two of my favorites. By the way, I you know that the soft.
Speaker 2: Ball I might have I might have been thinking that on purpose or something around here. But yeah, he just he he looks like a guy who is really ready to take a big step forward in terms of his pass catching and offensive contributions, not just in the run game obviously, where we know that he excels, but that tapered look has me thinking that he's, uh, he's gonna cause some problems for some defenses this year for sure. So those are the two guys on the offensive side of the ball that I thought, you know, really throughout these six practices have stood out, but especially today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then the last.
Speaker 3: I hope they're like long term fixtures, ten year stealer type guys. Way getting ahead of myself, but just got a contract I first round pick a couple months ago.
Speaker 2: And if you're set there at tight end in the offensive line for a long time with very high end players and guys that are tough to play against, and they're going to grow and learn and build together that chemistry and camaraderie that's a real strength.
Speaker 3: Man, those two mashing people on double team one yard, you know, runs off tackle and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: Have fun with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good lord.
Speaker 2: The last one man on the defensive side of the ball is a newcomer. He's a veteran, but we're getting our first look up and close at him. It's Jammel Dean.
Speaker 4: Oh right.
Speaker 2: I just feel like he is making plays in every single drill, every single team period. He is. He's always breaking up passes, he's always tightly contesting coverage. He's just again, you know, you get to this point in camp where it's like they keep noticing that guy, keep noticing that guy.
Speaker 4: That guy.
Speaker 2: It's like every every day Dean is flying around, getting his hands on footballs, making plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, couldn't agree more. Don't have as much to add on him. And I'll be honest, you know, from where we sit in the press box, it's harder to watch defense, but there's a lot of team stuff that happens right in front of us. So early portions of practice, which again they didn't do a ton of the first half hour forty five minutes, they did a lot of indie stuff that wasn't real applicable to scouting a player necessarily, but he does get his hands on the ball. He runs really really well. His size is obvious and he plays big two, especially when the ball's in the air, when he's banging with receivers at the line of scrimmage. I am curious to see what kind of player he is on outside runs things like that, which probably won't be till the regular season. He has a little bit of a history, and I always like to warn people on this because like if you look, if you pull up his profile on NFL dot com or ESPN or whatever, you'll be like, oh, he played fifteen out of seventeen games. He has a habit of leaving, you know, and I don't know why. Maybe it's just total coincidence. It's and I don't think it's like this, you know, moaning and belly aching about it is. He's has There's been many games that he has well, several games that he has started but not finished. But I think if you get the most out of this dude, you're gonna be really happy. And even if he does happen to miss some time, the depth of corner is really really good.
Speaker 2: No, we're feeling very strong about that position group and I think you've got a nice balance of guys at different points throughout their careers. You know, good point Joey Porter, Jude working on that second that second contract. You've had guys like Ecoles and Samuel's who aren't crazy long in the tooth but have certainly been around the league for a while. You've got some young rookie like Daylon Everett. You've got the savvy Vetts and Jamel Dean and Jalen Ramsey. I really like.
Speaker 4: Think they look to Ramsey in that room.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I would. I I think I really like the just kind of balance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Man, he really stood out last training camp.
Speaker 2: Boy did he ever? He's uh, he's he's an alpha out there, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: He plays hard and we'll.
Speaker 2: Be we'll be excited to get him back in the fold, hopefully here sooner rather than later. But yeah, those were the three Matt that, like I said, really over the course of these six practices, but especially today, I felt like those guys were standing out. And Yeah, just wanted a few minutes to talk about how much fun you and I really had watching watching mad Max and those one on one drills.
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, impressive and I'm sure it won't all be that way. Sure there'll be some days like I'll have what he'll have rookie moments.
Speaker 3: I no question about it. But I don't know how you can't be excited about him from what you've seen or what you know about the player and the person right now.
Speaker 2: I told you this earlier, but you know, I'm sure it's the same way with you. We've all got our group chats with our buddies and all that stuff every single day out here so far to this point. You know, my friends are always like, Wes, what's going on? Wes who? Looks good? Wes who? And I'm like, guys, it's it's day number two. Like, yeah, yeah, they're they're in They're in helmets and shorts playing Patty Cake out here. All right, let's calm down.
Speaker 4: It's awesome that people were excited.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, But today I texted him and I was like, all right, boys, it's it's time for the first real uh, you know, Wes observation for you. And I was like, mad, Max is gonna be an absolute stud and I think he's gonna end up being one of the best right tackles in the National Football League here potentially in the next couple of years. If he is, If this is the starting point for him, then the sky is the limit. Without let's get to our first break here of the show this afternoon. We will catch up with our buddy Alan Saunders of Steelers now here in the first hour of the show. Plenty to get to as we roll along on another busy day. You also know, to start the five o'clock hour, we'll be hitting the tweets, So get those tweets in at wes Leeler at Williamson, NFL if you want to get involved. We met a couple of our loyal tweeters last night, Matt, A couple of people came up to us and said hello, and yeah, it was It was a lot of fun and it's been It's been good to uh to get to to put some faces to some of these some of these names that we interact with. You know, in the five o'clock hour, we'll be getting all your questions, comments, concerns and reactions if you want to get involved with the show. Just getting started here it's a another special three hour edition of The Drive, all happening live at Training Camp on the City on the campus. Pardon me of Saint Vincent College, Wes Shuler, Matt Williamson, Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org, Easy Home Mixteriors, fast, reliable and affordable, Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine Melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop Visitshop dot Steelers dot Com.
Speaker 2: Back on campus here for this day number six, a practice edition of the Drive. Wes Shuler and Matt Williamson. With you, Matt, we have some we have some I guess extension news around the NFL from today, A couple couple of big pieces of business being done here with some of the names that we've been discussing throughout the throughout the offseason. According to Adam Schefter in ESPN. The Falcons and Bijon Robinson have reached a three year deal up to seventy five million guaranteed to make him the highest paid running back in NFL history. That includes fifty one million guaranteed.
Speaker 3: I had no problem with it at all. I think that's an easy one. I mean, you can have the argument back and forth, do you really want to invest big money in that position? Fine, but if you draft him where you do and he does what he did, you gotta do this. I mean, I think he's the best running back in the league. I think he's one of the absolute best players in the league. Let me say he's the most valuable. But the size speed combination, as well as all the other trades you have, which are.
Speaker 4: Kind of historic.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm going with this, because you know, like you know, I've started Matt stats and the Falcons are the first first opponent here. So I just pulled these things up for a different podcast I did. I mean, he's only one of three players including Ladanian Tomlinson, that in their first three years has the combination of thirty five hundred rushing yards and fifteen hundred receiving yards. He led the entire league in all purpose yards last year. I mean McCaffrey was the only running back with more receiving yards. Sure, I mean I think he had like the twelfth most yards from scrimmage in NFL history last year, played almost eighty percent of the snaps. I mean, since he's been in the league again only three years, only Barkley and Derrick Henry have more rushing yards. Right, I mean this is like a historic start of your career.
Speaker 2: Impressive really? Yes, in his three seasons, eight hundred and five carries for over thirty nine hundred yards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's well over that thirty five hundred I was talking about, right.
Speaker 2: One hundred and ninety eight catches for over seventeen hundred yards, thirty four total touchdowns in three years, two time Pro Bowler, first team All Pro this past season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again he may not even be hitting his prime. He's almost the consensus first overall first top two picks.
Speaker 4: In him and fantasy draft. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean some people might be like, why like that the Lions have an easier schedule and they have a better offense, But they're the top two, and you can split hairs, which one you prefer but he could have a Tomlinson Lake career. Like I'm older than you and played fantasy. Then it was like, whoever gets on one wants getting with Damian Thomlinson.
Speaker 2: What's God? Go ahead and punch that in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a no brain or twenty touchdown seasons and things like that could be in the horizon for Pjon.
Speaker 2: Another big extension announced today, and it's one in the AFC North Baltimore's two time Pro Bowl wide receivers Say Flowers reaching agreement with the racist that one four year, one hundred and forty million dollar extension matt one hundred and eight million dollars guaranteed. That now ties in with Justin Jefferson as the fourth highest paid wide receiver in the NFL. Just JSN, Jamar Chase, and Drake London make more. Wow, it's a good player. But that might be great money for a good player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a big fan. I think he's vastly underrated. You know, like if I was doing just receiver ranks, not fantasy, he would be very high. He would not be fourth. But I mean that implies to me just how healthy the league is. Sure, you know they have a lot of money to throw around collectively these thirty two teams. Now, he's not as big as your prototype. He doesn't score a lot of touchdowns. You have his career touchdown receptions. I bet it's pretty low. But it's not even close who their most valuable receiver is in Baltimore. I mean, the the rest of that wide receiver room isn't very inspiring. Andrews is a good player still, but he's hitting the age cliff in a big way. Henry doesn't catch balls. They drafted two receivers, they drafted two tight ends. I mean, like he's going to be their target leader by far.
Speaker 2: He's had five touchdowns, four touchdowns and five touchdowns in yeah, so just fourteen touchdowns in three seasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they look at Andrews and likely in some of their bigger bodies there more so, that's like the one chink in the armor. And it also correlates with not being the biggest, most physical guy in the league too. But he's dangerous. He's a really good player.
Speaker 2: He absolutely is, and he's being paid very adequately certainly, but I'm sure they'll be happy to keep him in Baltimore. And you know, Lamar Jackson will be happy to have him around.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A couple other I think notable part of me pieces of business from today. Jadavian Clowney, big name Matt of course, he signed with the Houston Texans officially earlier this morning.
Speaker 3: And you remember it was ten twelve years ago or whatever. They drafted him first overall, so he kind of goes home. I saw some quotes that he said he could have gotten more money out of somewhere else, but he wanted to be part of this.
Speaker 4: Which how could you not.
Speaker 3: I mean, he won't be a starting defensive end for them, that's for sure with Hunter and Anderson there, but he can also kick inside a little bit. He's a really good run player. He's still frustrating to watch. His recognition skills have never been great, but he's quite talented. Been a mercenary probably the last five or six years, you know, one year here, one year there, but kind of gives teams what they want, you know this time of year. You know, late signing. Didn't get the defensive end we wanted in the draft, or in Houston's case, I think it's just we'll take the embarrassment of riches here. We're gonna try to really make a run. I think they would be my vote for best best defense in the league. Yeah, including I.
Speaker 2: Mean it's hard to argue that. Yeah, I think they You just look at it. There's not a weakness anywhere. No, they've got speed everywhere. They've got the physicality and toughness everywhere.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: They've got the edge rushers, they've got the the defensive backs. They're adding some depth.
Speaker 3: At a big nose tackle in the middle too, to just kind of make free everybody up a little bit more.
Speaker 2: In the first round that had defenses impressive. Impressive certainly, and then Matt, uh that basically I think covers the majority of the of the business today in the National Football League. A couple of big contracts, a couple other you know, additional signings and things like that around the league. We do know as well too, Matt. You know, we always laugh. We get so jacked up and excited for the Hall of Fame game, which is of course Thursday, Thursday night. I'll tell you this though.
Speaker 4: It'll be on the Sharkis and we'll pay some attention, and.
Speaker 2: Sure will, I think we'll pay even more attention now because the two starting quarterbacks have been named.
Speaker 4: I know pickets going is Kenny.
Speaker 2: Pickett for Carolina Carson Beck for Arizona.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm interested to watch back. Yeah, both those guys are noteworthy, lit right right right?
Speaker 2: Little something stuff in there, so names that everybody knows and certainly noteworthy to watch. Hey, they might only play five or six snaps, but it'll be some type of football in front of us on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: I did a Carolina breakdown today for our six Pack show. I didn't realize their quarterback depth chart is Bryce Young Picket and basically.
Speaker 4: Nothing else really. I mean, it's that things could get off the rails there.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 4: They've already been hit really hard with injuries.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say they have been. Their offensive line is the not the type of start to the year you want. The health department, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: I think they have the worst mojo in the league right now, just in terms of bad things happening to the.
Speaker 2: Panthers speaking of injuries, seems like nothing too serious. But Aaron Glenn, the head coach of the Jets just saw this year, told reporters after practice that their rookie tight end Kenyon Sadik, suffered a little setback on the off season hernia surgery he had. He will now miss some time, but still hopeful that he'll be ready for the regular season.
Speaker 3: I mean, you never won first round picks and miss any time. They're dating to acclamate the other injury I heard today that isn't super serious, but they're starting to mount for the Niners because Pearce All's out for the year. Yep, Mike Evans got banged up again. They I mean, that receiver room's crazy because they they they're not counting on Ayuk at all. Obviously, I think he's still there.
Speaker 2: They probably should, but that's.
Speaker 3: Never going to happen again. But think about who they brought in. They brought in Evans, Christian Kirk, Deebo Samuel, and they traded out of the first round of the very early second for stribbling. Yeah, I mean that's for brand name dudes, Like I don't think Kirk has a ton less and Debo is just a one year deal. But you don't do those things if you're not concerned about your wide receiver situation, then Pierce All they can't count on he's out for the Year's not in the mix, you know, Like.
Speaker 2: They've just got a lot of older bodies too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can all those guys playing seventeen games and healthy for the whole season.
Speaker 4: And the other guys are pretty raw rookie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah. Maybe they could be in for another one of those.
Speaker 4: Kittle's coming back from an injury injury either.
Speaker 2: Maybe that could be one of those. It certainly does. It seems like San Francisco has a lot of times done a really good year. They'll win twelve games, and then the next year they'll come back and they'll lose twelve games, and then the following year they'll win twelve and then they'll lose twelve.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're definitely pushing their chips in, but I don't know it's working out well at least here in early August.
Speaker 2: That's a tough division to certainly to be pushing chips in for Matt.
Speaker 4: Let's say, ye go to break. We've got a guest coming up, we sure do.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk to our buddy, Allan Saunders of Steelers now when we return here in just a few minutes. We'll get all of his thoughts here on the practices so far this week and the pads that have gone on and all that good stuff live here on campus. It is Steelers Nation Radios ongoing Training Camp coverage SNR on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Please live Copyry Jump dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Say Flagging in Traffic Control Mickey Traffic Safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power Move Independence health System Expert Care here. Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Hi Top. Chucknofield here rolling along on in the drive and joining us now. It's our buddy, Allan Saunders of Steelers now one of our favorites to catch up with here during training camp and the combine and all that fun stuff. Alan, thanks for taking the time, Thanks for joining us, and uh what has been this really new training camp experience for a lot of us, right, I said to Matt at the beginning of camp last week, It's almost like if you ever change schools when you were growing up, you still knew you were gonna have math class and there was gonna be lunch and you're gonna have a locker. Right, you knew what school was all about, but it was going too the new school, meeting new people, new coaching staff, new teachers, that kind of thing. Different practice time, different practice pace to this point. But now on day six, you're starting to feel like you might have a little bit of a handle on it. And what's uh, what Mike McCarthy's trying to accomplish out here every day.
Speaker 6: I still feel like I'm learning a lot every day. I think there's a lot to learn. I don't think I still don't feel like I know enough about this football team right now.
Speaker 5: And that's that's interesting.
Speaker 6: You know, you get you get so used to the way things are, the way people will react to certain things.
Speaker 5: When you have my job, you.
Speaker 6: Get pretty good at predicting, Hey, this happens, so this is gonna happen. And now I don't feel like I know that, you know, when you're coming up as a journalist, you usually like move from beat to beat pretty quickly, or you kind of get that like new team feel where you It's been a while for me. I've been covering the Steelers since twenty nineteen. I haven't gone through that quite some times. So it's it's been different and exciting and fun in some ways and difficult in other ways. It's really hard to answer questions like people ask them, what do you think of the team?
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't know. I don't know what to think of the team in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: So I think you've a really good scouting eye, and I want to bring up a lot of individual names of what you've see in these six practices. But I know you just put out a piece concerning Aaron Rodgers and how his teammates look up to respect, like enjoy him. Can you kind of reiterate some of the things you've dug up, you know? And I think this has been common for every stop he's been at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't really know. I mean, obviously I wasn't in New York and Green Bay, but it seemed like there was a lot of fear when he came to Pittsburgh, that he was going to be this toxic teammate or a bad guy and boy like he has been exactly the opposite of that. He's poured himself into young people. He's been a great teammate to his his peers, He's been great to the people that are around the building. And you know, the guy's one of the richest athletes to ever live. He could big time all the big timers if he wanted to, and that would be fine.
Speaker 5: And I think.
Speaker 6: He's really built strong relationships. And I think the sort of reaction this week to the comments he made on the Pad McAfee show externally, you know, very divisive in the public sphere. Locker room loves the guy, and I think that's such a rare thing in our society today, where we find people that are able to sort of come together despite differences. I think it's what makes sports special. It's one of the things I've always really admired about being in the locker room and being around these guys that they're able to do that, and I think it's what's cool about sports. And I thought it really came in to focus this week with you know, I'm getting hate for just writing what Aaron Rodgers said. I didn't say this, I just wrote, but he said. I know he's getting a lot more hate than that. But his teammates love him, and I'm sure some of his teammates disagree with them, and yet there's still that love in that bond that I think is really special.
Speaker 4: And we're allowed to disagree.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of Matt. Matt always says this, there's a lot of different personalities in that locker room. Absolutely, you think Aaron Rodgers is the only one that's an enigma and has his quirks, You're you're far from a far from politics.
Speaker 4: You might yet agree with Chances are he's not the only one.
Speaker 6: Sure, Sure, and and just hugely different. Look at the offensive line. Everybody talks about how tight this offensive line is, and it is. And you got a Polynesian from Las Vegas, the guy from the hills of West Virginia, Ben Anderson, grew up in the suburbs of Washington, d C. Like, you can't get more different backgrounds than what those guys had before they came to Pittsburgh. And yet they're all best of friends. And I think that's why I think that's why we love sports.
Speaker 5: And I felt like I wanted to shout that out.
Speaker 6: I want to a lot of a lot of hate mail I was getting.
Speaker 4: Oh, well said, so when can people find that article?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the top of the site Steelers now dot com. It's out right now and go check it out.
Speaker 2: Some good stuff in there from Pat Fryermouth. Oh yeah, as well. I know I might step on Matt's toes here. But one of the guys that we obviously speaking of guys, speaking of guys with different backgrounds and unique stories, the first round pick pick, Maxie Honacher. I think we were all really waiting to see these past two days when the pads went on and you know, physicality was introduced there, especially with all those bodies in the trenches on both sides of the ball that we want to get a look at. I feel like he's held his own really well, not just held his own, but has stood out in a lot of those one on one drills.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you worry, is the moment going to be big for a young guy?
Speaker 5: Not at all.
Speaker 6: I mean I was super impressed with his makeup in those moments. Even the reps he lost were super competitive. He really made guys work to beat him. I have a Theorymount I want to run this by you. I think if you are a young offensive lineman who has outstanding footwork and maybe some other issues, and AX has some other issues, I think that might be the one the strength you want to have in terms of who I agree getting the trust to get an opportunity early.
Speaker 4: Because then you can recover when you screw up.
Speaker 6: Right right, He's gonna lose in slow motions sometimes and there's still losses, but it's not look out.
Speaker 4: It's not like the broaderick problem.
Speaker 3: For me, it's like when he lost, he lost bad, and he lost early. You know that that you can't have losing slows fine, And if his feet are enough to lose slow while he learns, I'm in.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that's really what's what sort of took me from the watching him in one on one is that even though losses are not that bad, and that's I want to see more run blocking out of him.
Speaker 5: I don't. I haven't seen enough of that.
Speaker 6: And that can be something that it only takes one guy to screw up a run play and you can't be that guy over and over again. But I've been really impressed with what I've seen him from him so.
Speaker 3: Far, so I wanted to switch to the wide receiver room a little bit. There's been a lot of Roman Wilson buzz I like how Bernard another rookie looks out here, but I haven't seen a ton of plays being made yet. Metcalf seems to be still featured, and Pittman looks what I expected, but he hasn't had a wow moment that I remember. What do you think of the non Metcalf next three so far?
Speaker 6: I think the thing that stands out to me about Pittman is he's getting open. You know, a lot of training camp is first read stuff. I don't know how much of the time Michael Pittman is the first read in this offense, but I think he's very frequently the the get out of jail free card for the quarterback where something got screwed up. Let's let's get four yards right here. And you're not gonna do that in training camp very often, but that can be really valuable over the course of the season. I also thought he had a really nice block today to spring dk On on a little out and up and he got some some green grass there's some real weapons in terms of run after the catch there. If you've got good blocking wide receivers, that helps that a lot.
Speaker 5: I agree think Jeremy.
Speaker 4: Collectively, they're pretty good blockers to the receivers.
Speaker 6: Jeremy's been quiet, but he's very impressive. He doesn't do anything wrong. He doesn't make mistakes that you see from a rookie. I think I've only seen him drop one pass, which happened right after I wrote that. He hadn't dropped any way the way it usually goes. But you know, I just don't see those those reps where you know, the ball hits the ground and the quarterback standing there with his hands up, like what were you doing? That you usually expect from a rookie wide receiver. I haven't seen very much of that at all.
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts on Roman two?
Speaker 6: He's been so much better. Yeah, he looks so locked in, more confident coming in and out of his break. Really looks like he understands what his job is and what he's supposed to be doing and what it looks like at a different level.
Speaker 5: He's always had good hands. I don't think that's ever been an issue. He's tough, he goes into tight windows.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but I think he looks poised to be a much bigger day diference maker this year than last year.
Speaker 3: I mean a couple months ago, I thought he was a borderline roster player. I agree, and I think he's way beyond that now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think Bernard. I'm really high on Bernard big picture, but Roman's done everything he could do to hold him off so far.
Speaker 2: A few more minutes here with our buddy Allen Saunders of Steelers now wanted to ask you about Darnell Washington as well, kind of sticking with some pass catchers in the offense here, Matt and I were looking for the right word to describe him, and I think Matt might have nailed it. He kind of looks tapered a little bit. I don't want to say that he looks slim or like he lost a bunch of weight, but he looks a little.
Speaker 4: Body looks a little different.
Speaker 2: His body looks a little different, and he just he looks like he's a little more fluid, little more movement. I think he is is primed for a potential big year in this offense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I really like how he's moving. I care a lot more about that than how much he weighs. Yeah, I don't care exactly right, Yeah, I really don't. And he's moving really well, really nice, like turn up field acceleration on a couple plays, which is what you need from him, because boy, once you get that going and you're in the secondary, there are not a lot of DB's that are gonna bring him down one on one. It's just a tough ask. And I you know, I think the size of their receivers across the board can be a real weapon for him. He's obviously just a freak. But there's other I mean, Pittman and Metcalf and Farmoot's big Wilson and Bernard are not bigger, but they're tough guys. Like there's not an easy tackle of anybody. And forget Warren and Dowdall, we didn't talk about them yet. Those guys are really really difficult guys to tackle. There's not an easy tackle of any Steelers receiver. They're really gonna make secondaries tackle and I think that's how you get big plays. Is one of those big dudes puts a stiff arm into somebody and all of a sudden, it's green grass.
Speaker 3: So I haven't seen them tip their hand on this yet. Maybe I just missed it. But do you expect a package with her Big, high Smith and Watt on the field together.
Speaker 4: I do, I do too.
Speaker 5: I do I expect it.
Speaker 6: And I bet Herbig to be the guy that is not in a traditional outside linebacker stance. And they were doing the offensive line defensive line one on ones yesterday, Herbig took two reps from.
Speaker 5: The a gap.
Speaker 4: I saw it from off the ball, and.
Speaker 6: I'm like, well, there's no reason for him to be doing that unless he's going to be doing that.
Speaker 4: I thought I saw Wat do it as well.
Speaker 6: What did one where he kind of looped in against a guard? And so I think there's to me that makes the most sense because Herbig, to me, is the is the most valuable chess piece there in terms of you could very easily give him man coverage assignments. You can drop him off the ball. You know, he is a really really hard piece for the offense to look at and figure out what he's going to be doing. And I know people are screaming about move water around, and.
Speaker 4: I don't care about that I don't.
Speaker 6: That doesn't bother me as much as getting all three guys on the field and finding a way to make them all dangerous. Like I saw what was up he was on the right side, was up against Still and Cook yesterday try.
Speaker 5: To spin move. It was.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think he still won the rep, but it was very like I don't know where to put my legs looking kind of thing. Yeah, you're not, you know, used to seeing TJ. Watt not, you know, look like he knows exactly what he's going to be doing out there, and it's just he said it yesterday. It's one thing to say, let's do this. It's another thing to be good at it. I don't know that they're good at these things yet, but I think they're gonna try.
Speaker 4: Them real quick.
Speaker 3: I don't really care about him in Highsmith's alignment. If you prefer the right and I prefer the left, let's stay there. But I do like the idea of dropping him in coverage. We've seen some of that, looping him inside. Don't just rush him to the outside shoulder of the tackle over and over and over. And they know exactly how to chip them. So I think the usages could be different, and I think it will be. I don't care about the alignment though. Yeah, he doesn't need the roam around on the second level or go to the right side.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the left right thing has never bothered me. If you can align left right however you want, Yeah, use them different ways. More more inside rushes for TJ. Get some more quick pressures. I think that is the NFL trend to find ways to get those quick pressures, And a lot of that comes on the inside. If you're going around the tackle, it's gonna even if you beat them a lot of steps blind, it's gonna take a couple of steps, and I think you can have a much quicker impact coming up the middle.
Speaker 3: Maybe, you know, put her big to his outside and overload that side. Just make things so he doesn't have to go through three guys all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Any any movement, Any updates on the contractual future of one Joey Porter Jr.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't heard anything. Seems very quiet. You know, we're getting to that time where he usually seems like these things tend to get done.
Speaker 2: Coming close to the dog days, a couple weeks.
Speaker 5: Into training camp, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: But no, no, update, and then do you expect that we will see Jalen Ramsey at any point throughout this process?
Speaker 5: I would expect that we ought to.
Speaker 6: You know, what I was told is it's not a significant injury and that he should be I mean, he's been running off to his own, you know, with Joey and Dante Kent over there, So you know, I would think that at some point you're going to see him back. I don't know if it's going to be before we break camp here, but I would think that you're going to get Jayalen Ramsey back for Week one at the at the very worst.
Speaker 3: Do you presume that when they have four defensive backs on the field, Ramsey remain out there and Briskers the odd man out just want to be able to see it?
Speaker 5: Man, I don't know that.
Speaker 4: I don't either.
Speaker 6: That's one of those that I don't think we've learned yet. Yeah, you could probably make an argument for doing it either way, and maybe it depends on who's out there for the other team what you want to do. Yeah, yeah, I mean I thought Mata McCarthy was pretty forthright in admitting that they don't really have a traditional free safety on this roster and that there maybe the answer is none of the above, and that there's some kind of external addition between now and then.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun, a lot of ground to cover with our buddy Alan Saunders. Make sure you're checking out all of his coverage on Steelers Now throughout these next couple weeks of training camp and into the preseason and the regular season and all that good stuff. Great stuff, dude, Thanks for taking the time. We appreciate it absolutely, Thanks for having me on. That's a hour in the books. Two more hours to go. Hear high atop Chuck Nollfield on the campus of Saint Vincent College, West Shouler, Matt Williamson, It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network,