Speaker 1: Yeah, I look at it. Tr Trump Brown's about I don't know. Trump Brown's so inconsistent, yea than thirty five year old, more than Moses.
Speaker 2: On when you and Mason, I'd probably give it to Mason. I think Mason was a better player, but I don't think it was like World's better.
Speaker 1: It's not a massive gap.
Speaker 2: We're not talking about like you know, Zach Martin here like a good player, Jack Mason Center, definitely David Andrews obviously left guard, Harris versus Strange. I probably give that one.
Speaker 1: To Harris, maybe that Max's line is better, and then I give I say Will Campbell, I say Campbell too, But like that's so the one guy we're giving it this year. But also so the weird thing with that line was it took forever because that wasn't the line from the start of the season two.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're wondering why it's just me to kick off the show today, it's because they're waiting on a very popular Alex Barth, who just is needed everywhere producer Alex these days. He's just he's so popular that we have to wait on him, you know, to come down here to do the show. He's got bigger fish to fry over at the official flagship station of the New England Patriots ninety five the sports Up. Alex will be here in a second. He'll be along in a moment. I believe he's on with Felger and Mass wish him well on that endeavor. So he's going to come down here in just a second and he'll join me here. But that was a good open for what I wanted to talk about off the top of the show, because I wanted to go offensive line. You all knew I was going to go offensive line. Let's face it, everybody could probably see that coming from a mile away, because you have to imagine as a guy that likes to talk a lot about the offensive line and has had a tough time watching the offensive line the last couple of years around here. To have not one but two rookies that are already pushing in the second week of training camp for starting jobs. That's like me on Christmas More. I got two rookie linemen that are doing this already. I mean, this is fantastic news for me, but also for the Patriots most importantly, and I don't think it should be undersold how big of a development. It is that Will Campbell and Jared Wilson in the first week of pads here have acclimated well, have looked a part, have looked a part of left tackle of course for Will Campbell, and we'll get to that here in a second. But Jared Wilson, a third round pick, not coming out of nowhere, I wouldn't say I think that a lot of us could have seen this coming. I didn't know how quickly it would be for him because he only had the one year of starting experience at Georgia and he's only twenty two years old. But Jared Wilson rave reviews for him, Rave reviews for his just knowledge of the game and his technique and his athleticism, but how quickly he's grasping things. So those are all great things to hear for the Patriots offensive line, which we knew was the biggest weakness on this team going into last offseason. And if you drafted two guys that can start on the line, that can upgrade this unit, you are in much better shape than you were a year ago. So that's the great news on the offensive line. We are going to go position by a position today once Barth eventually graces us with his presence, we will go position by a position on the roster, and I'm told that he's coming down right now from the ramps, so he should be here within the next few minutes. On the roster, just top storylines or not, we're gonna try to mention as many players as we possibly can. I'm not going to promise that we're gonna mention all ninety one players on the roster. I don't know if we'll quite get there, but we're gonna try to mention just the high level stories but also storylines, but also the little things because you know that we pay attention to all the details here on Patriots Catch twenty two. So my opening takes on the offensive line, positive development there. And you know what I'm gonna do is, I'm actually going to read some emails. Maybe I'll take these calls while we wait for Barth to, you know, wander on in here at some point. But there's a lot of offensive line questions right in the in the emails right now, so we'll just give it a whirl. And the first one here is from Jeff from LA and he said, given that we've seen multiple seen multiple cold strange seasons, and he's yet to demonstrate that he can pass Bock at a legitimate NFL level. I tend to root for Wallace to win that job. As Wallace demonstrated that he might have a higher ceiling at left guard, this assumes Wilson has the highest ceiling at center and those two rounds to around out their best five. Okay, I got you, Jeff. So that's another development here on the offensive line. What does this all mean for Cold Strange? With Jared Wilson seeing first team reps at left guard, what does that mean for Cold Stranger's future? Who is working with the second unit today at center? First time we've seen cold Strange center. Now, it should be mentioned that Garrett Bradbury did not participate in today's practice after he got banged up yesterday towards the end of practice.
Speaker 3: Bradbury not out.
Speaker 2: There today, So the Patriots moved Ben Brown to the starting center position, and then Jared Wilson was out left guard with Cold Strange.
Speaker 1: Oh there he is.
Speaker 3: Wow, Look who it is? How did it go? How did it? How did it? God? Did everything go okay?
Speaker 1: Up there?
Speaker 3: For you? Zoe didn't pick on you too much? Did he?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Me and are having a ton of fun. Me and I had to do. I was on felburn, Mez, you think after today, I'm not gonna go set the record straight on Will Campbell.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll talk about that in the second. But my opening take, and I know to your your point there, I know Will Campbell had a little bit of an up and down day today, but my opening is really down and then up right, my opening take of the show. As a guy that loves himself some offensive line play. I'm just so encouraged for this team and for the offense that they might have drafted two starting caliber offensive lineman, not just one. And for a group that last year by every metric across the board pass blocking, run blocking win rates PFF grades thirty second in the league, and all of them on the offensive line. The fact that they might have drafted two starters in the top one hundred and Jared Wilson and Will Campbell is a huge development for the team.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think I can undersell how big of a deal that.
Speaker 1: Is for where their offensive line was they needed it and.
Speaker 2: Not on top of that, you know, if you assume that Jared Wilson after today now, I know Bradberry wasn't out there, but based off the movement that they had without Bradberry, it seems like they're looking at from left to right, Campbell, Wilson, Bradberry on when new Moses as their best five right now with Bradberry at center and Wilson at left guard. So that means that four out of five starters on the offensive line will be new and the only incumbent holdover is the best guy from last year, Mike Gonuenu.
Speaker 3: So that makes sense.
Speaker 2: If you had the worst offensive line in football, you should have four new starters the following year. And it appears that the Patriots are going to potentially have four new starters the following year, which is a great sign to me in all avenues. I want to get into like the minutia of all of that, but that was my opening take. Do you have an opening take?
Speaker 1: How long are you going before I came down here?
Speaker 3: At the best, like seven minutes maybe?
Speaker 1: So you started you started before two thirty No?
Speaker 3: No, no, yes you no, I did it. It's two thirty nine and I started.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I will say people wanted to check it out. Ninety five Sports on YouTube Patriot Felger was actually asking me, like some insightful offensive line.
Speaker 3: Questions, how many plugs are you going to do for you?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying like it was a good you would have enjoyed it. It was a good offensive line to Okay, what did he ask about? You know, the outside inside move that's hard to counter. Just kind of some alignment stuff moving between center and guard, things like that. Jared Wilson's a good opening take. I'll say this, on a day where the offensive line was not at its best, Drake may might have had his best day. Yeah, which is encouraging. He handled pressure very well. He talked earlier in camp. I think it was like the first day or two. He mentioned that one of his big focuses this year is he wants to remain a passer longer. When he scrambles, he doesn't just want touch the ball and go. He wants to look to create downfield. He had a few chances today. I thought when the pocket was breaking down, whether it was one lineman losing or just the thing kind of collapsing, to scramble, and it wouldn't have necessarily been the wrong decision, but it wouldn't have been the best decision, and instead he kept his eyes downfield. The Kyle Williams touchdown was one of them where the pocket kind of came in a little bit, reset his feet, boom downfield, forty yard touchdown. So the other thing I liked about Drake May today there were a lot of days at the start of camp where it was Drake May. And this is an offense take, not just Drake May. I guess you know, Drake Man, the offense started rough, but bounce back. You know, started slow but made up for it. And look, you want to see him bounce back. That's good, that's obviously good, but especially for a team that started slow at times last year, you want to kind of see him start straw right. Instead of Drake May having a bounce back day, it was where is the day that we're just like, hey, Drake May was good wired to wire? He was good. I think Drake May was good wired to wire today. That happens to be on the day where the offensive line gave him probably the least help they've given him all summer.
Speaker 2: So I like that take as well. I what I am most encouraged about with Drake May right now is his timing in structure within the offense.
Speaker 3: It doesn't look like a guy that is learning a new offer.
Speaker 1: He looks very comfortable.
Speaker 2: He looks very comfortable, he looks confident in his reads. He's making good decisions with the football. I don't want to jinx some solid knock on some wood. He has yet to throw an interception in this training camp. He had one dropped like this second pass. But I's been great. I didn't see him get lucky a little bit. But he has yet to throw a true interception to the defense.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that in camp. Yet I bring that play up because again that was his what second third throw camp? Yes, he really hasn't even put them. Don't even know how many times he's been lucky since then, hasn't.
Speaker 2: Put I want to say that there's one for sure that Jail Pepper has dropped like the first.
Speaker 1: Day cap was like the second or third throw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there's maybe one other one that I can remember off the top of my head where I think Robert Splaine might have had two hands on one that he it's a linebacker though, trying to make a play on the ball. But I thought it was May But maybe I'm this remembering it's starting to blend together a little bit.
Speaker 1: Here, a little bit. I'd ask somebody would say the week it was today.
Speaker 2: At the same time, if I told you was worth seven practices in now seven practices, that Drake May hasn't thrown an interception yet in camp, you would ask, you'd either be over the moon excited or the one like negative Nancy take that you could have would be like, well, is he throwing the ball down checking it down? Yeah, he's checking it down, he's being conservative, YadA, YadA, YadA. Well, today he threw a absolute dime to Kyle Williams for about a forty yard touchdown on a go route down the right sideline, like going away from the hill on the Patriots practice facility. That would have been pff markstacting down as a big time throw instantly, right, that's a real time.
Speaker 3: Big time throw. He had one of those today.
Speaker 2: He drove another one down the field to Stefan Diggs today on a cross or that was another muddied pocket like you were talking about, where I thought he was stared down the barrel stood in there, made the throw. Now he's in a red jersey and he knows they're not actually gonna hit him, but still he still stood in there. There's a free runner right in his face and he just drilled it right to Stefan Diggs. So my point being is that I don't think he's being ultra conservative. I do think there are moments where he's pushing the ball down.
Speaker 1: It was just that one day. Besides that, it's it's bitten fully at.
Speaker 3: His disposal and he is he has looked on the hole.
Speaker 2: I think the only thing you know, we go into I wanted to get into. I really I just love the variabel, the good, the bad, and the in the s that gets you bleep line.
Speaker 3: That's what we can't swear on here. That is a I might be able.
Speaker 1: I got adjusted, well, the coach said it, I got adjust from from swearing.
Speaker 2: Was fantastic, fantastic way of looking at a great line from the head coach. The bad for Drake may has been those occasional sprays that you'll see time and time, and you know, every time, every so often, try to get those words out. Every so often you'll see you know, he had one yesterday where he had Hunter Henry. It looked like he had him in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown and he sailed it.
Speaker 3: He had one.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, just on occasion, he'll have those. But that's just to me, that's just the bad Like that's not that doesn't get you beat. Like the turnovers get you beat.
Speaker 1: As long as you're not doing it on third down, fine, but the turnovers get your beat. Sure, Uh, you know, the the strings of incompletions will get your beat. If you can't move the ball at all, you're obviously going to get beat. We're not seeing any of that kind of stuff. We're seeing the occasional spray from Drake May, which is customary of his skill set and his positives and negatives as a player. We are also seeing, i would say, from Drake, which I really like. We're seeing a lot of things that involve his mobility, whether he's going to have the option to run, whether they're moving the pocket, the pob Douglas throw obviously with you know, out of structure, off platform, those types of things. But the main thing that I keep coming back to though, because I've read some other reports, because this time of year sometimes like all thirty one teams love their team or all thirty two, I see other thirty one. Teams love their team, right, everybody's going to win the Super Bowl on July thirtieth. You know, the rookies look great, the quarterback looks great, the coaching staff looks great. If you go read some of the things about some of the other younger quarterbacks in the league that have changed coaching staffs and have changed hands in terms of systems and coordinated, a lot of those guys are going through some growing paints of learning a new system. Like Ben Johnson was talking about Caleb Williams openly playing slower than they would like mentally. It's been like kind of a mess with that, right, Yeah, playing slower at the helm. We'll do that another time.
Speaker 2: And I don't see that with Drake. I don't see him playing slower. No, I don't see him having trouble with processing or decision making or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: No, what that's great. We saw it in the spring, and that's okay because he was going to learn it right, But it's it's a credit to him and the coaching staff that they've they've gotten on the same page as quickly as they have.
Speaker 3: So that's encouraging.
Speaker 2: I like what we're seeing out of the McDaniels, saying after Vrabel made fun of friend Mike Giarready this morning about talking about the plays of practice, I'll be a little bit careful, but I like what we've seen from McDaniels and what they're gonna do now. It looks similar like it's the Josh McDaniels offense. Like they don't run fool yourself. This is not a wholesale change of what they're doing, you know, in terms of the offense or in terms of the passing game in particular, I think the drop back passing game is pretty much carbon copy of what they used to do. But with that said, you know, like we've talked about in the past, they do have a mobile quarterback. Now they have a guy that's a dual threat. We're seeing some movement pockets, We're seeing some options with his legs that are involved in him as a runner being involved, especially in some of the red zone work that we see. So it's like the old Josh daniels offense with like a sprinkle of mobile quarterback right Like right, that's basically what we're going for here, which I like, I think all this is positive, it fits, It's all great. Now, that doesn't mean everything's great. We're gonna get to some of those things that I don't feel are not so great about what's happening. But Drake May, Josh McDaniels, the two rookies on the offensive line, I think these are all you have to come away feeling positive about it.
Speaker 1: And you may have already touched on it just to get on the same page as you With Jared Wilson, Yes, he's starting left guard now, right.
Speaker 3: Unless he does something to lose the job. I don't see why do you think.
Speaker 1: That's more because they think he's better at left guards because of the two fumbled snaps early on.
Speaker 2: It's a combination, I think, on one hand, so it's not just that, right, we do this all the time, like they might like Bradbury more than they're like Strange it so.
Speaker 1: I guess that's what I'm asking. Is this okay, Bradbury's better than Strange or is it Wilson's better at guard than center? So what do you think is more driving here?
Speaker 2: The way that I look at it from Wilson's perspective alone is that as a rookie, not only is the center would be a rookie, a twenty two year old rookie. By the way, you would also have a twenty two year old quarterback in his second season standing behind him. Yeah, and in baseball they call what the battery, right, like the catcher in the pitcher, like the battery of like the center in the quarterback.
Speaker 1: I think it is also called that in football.
Speaker 2: Being both like under twenty three years old and both first and second year players in the league, it's just a lot to ask out of the gate for Jared Wilson to be a starting center in the league with really only one year of starting experience in college at center at Georgia at his age, with a young quarterback. So having Bradbury in there at center to just be a veteran voice and have that veteran experience, I think they're probably thinking that's gonna help Drake a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, so then here's my well, you do still have the two rookies on the left side there, here's my second part of that. Cole Strange would only played guard in this camp to this point. Garrett Bradbury goes down, that's the center. Okay, you don't want Jared Wilson at center. Ben Brown becomes the starting center, Cole Strange goes from being the top guard to the backup center. Yes, Like, do they do you think they don't trust Cole strangers center?
Speaker 2: Well, haven't seen it, so it'd be hard to trust him because they haven't seen him saw last year. They saw it on tape last year, but they haven't. They haven't seen.
Speaker 1: They having hands on yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in their system.
Speaker 1: I just I just thought that was notable because I remember I was talking to Fort Camp like, don't write off Ben Brown. A lot of people wrote him off.
Speaker 3: I am not writing off Ben Brown.
Speaker 1: I'm not right off Ben, He's said yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm pu that I'm not ruling out Jared Wilson and Brenton Brown as your center depth chart.
Speaker 3: I'm not ruling it out.
Speaker 1: What do you so I'm not. I'm not saying I have that's hit No Geart Bradbury, that's it. I'm not saying I have any Ben. So that would mean Ben Brown is the starter. Then if they like Jared will adding to that take with today.
Speaker 2: Or Jared Wilson eventually becomes the starting center and then they throw somebody else in.
Speaker 1: Card I get what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not ruling it out. That's just me talking.
Speaker 1: I said this, I wonder if Garrett Bradbury, because you see this sometimes the guys first round pick seven years all as a starter in this league, is he going to sit here and back up a rookie or will he say, you know, I want to go somewhere because you know, players get hurt and stuff. Lisa, I want to go somewhere. I have a chance to start.
Speaker 2: If you had to ask me today, I still the five isolated out. Yeah, Campbell, Wilson, Bradbury on one who moses feels like the group today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, long way to go.
Speaker 1: But if they do even if they do that, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Ben Brown. Oh yeah, because they don't want to move Wilson. Right now, you're scares talk about this, Billy's talk about this. You essentially have two backups in because Jared Wilson is your backup center, Well you also have a backup guard. That was the other thing I was going to say to you.
Speaker 2: We were on the same page here. Dante Scarnekio would tell you, if you want the rookie to be at left guard, you keep Jared Wilson at left guard, and you put Ben Brown at center, because then when Bradbury comes back, but.
Speaker 1: Ben Brown for today's practice, why not cold Stranger at center? Why Why does Ben Brown get the bump over Cold Strange? Unless they don't believe in strangers the center.
Speaker 2: They don't either don't believe in strangers the center, or they simply just felt like Ben Brown was better equipped to do.
Speaker 1: I think their top lineman, like, if we're gonna do a little mini Ross projection type thing here, right, Moses Wilson, brad Berry if he's healthy? Own when who in Campbell? Right? Yes, Demontree Jacobs is clearly the back top backup tackle Cole Strange in Ben Brown that gets you to eight usually carry nine right, nine or ten. So the only thing with that group is you don't have a backup left tackle. Now, I don't know who that's gonna be. And that's a whole other conversation.
Speaker 2: Until Valarian Low gets out there and we start to see anything from him, I don't know how you could know it's gonna.
Speaker 1: So well, Venerian law or some sort of backup tackle like that feels like the group Laydon Robinson's still buried. Oh no, no, no, no, no, sorry no. Kiten Wallace has been with the talk group. Kan Wallace is in the mix there left at left guard. But I'm saying like, if we were to count that group, so it's Campbell, Wilson, yes, Brad Burry, Moses, and then your top backups are Strange, Wallace, uh, Montre Jacobs, Demontree Jacobs, and now Ben Brown. So that's nine. So if you carry a tenth left tackle, just maybe Cole Strange right well, if he's not going to be the starting guard and we have Jared Wilson and Kane Wallas gonna be the backup guard, is that leave Cole Strange on the outside looking in. I feel like the just Demantra Jacobs gets bumped if they find a swing tackle.
Speaker 3: Out of that group. I think the question comes down to two things. What can you do?
Speaker 2: You feel feel like you can get Ben Brown to the practice squad. I'm iffy on that.
Speaker 1: I don't a guy that started with ten eleven games, but most people don't carry Most teams don't carry backup centers that don't have any any flexibility to play guard.
Speaker 3: That's true at one position. Backup at center is pretty rare, but can you get Ben.
Speaker 1: Brown though it's not McDaniels has done it.
Speaker 3: The other question is.
Speaker 2: What are they doing at tackle outside of the Mantre Jacobs to back up their starters. So, in my opinion that the way you just laid out, Yeah, Cole Strange being on the outside looking in, so that of Adarian Lowe or a Marcus Bryant or a fourth tackle makes the team would make the most sense.
Speaker 1: Unless it's so to me, it's either then Brown's the odd man out because he can only play center, but I don't hate them keeping a center only player in this offense because it's so complex. Cole Stranger is the odd man out because he can only play left guard, yes, or Demantra Jacobs being the odd man out because they find a swing tackle so they don't need him now because they have guys who play left and right, and Caden Walls in a pinch, can play right tackle if you need him to. I think at this point they view him primarily as a guard. But he's done it. I think if it, you know in game, you'd go down to your fourth tackle. Okay, we can throw Kayden Wallace out there for the rest of the day and then you add another you know, tackle in the in before your next game kind of thing. I'm interested, but that that kind of feels like, yeah, you know, I don't think Layton Robinson's in the mix. City s got hurt today.
Speaker 3: Those two guys I don't think are in.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, they don't seem like they. He didn't seem that he was in the mix before he got hurt. You see her Durant didn't really look Marcus Bryants would probably be the next guy up. And maybe it's can Marcus Bryant beat out Demntre Jacobs because he is a swing tackle. He can play at least in theory. He's got to prove it in theory he can play both sides. And now you don't keep Jacobs, you'd keep Marcus Bryant. He's going to back up both tackle spots. And there you go.
Speaker 3: So a couple of things I want to unpack.
Speaker 2: Let's just stick on the offensive line for now, because that's where we started anyways, and I feel like we talked enough about where Drake is at. A couple of things I want to talk about at tackle. Let's just go to Will Campbell now. Yeah, So here's my take on Will Campbell. I personally believe that Will Campbell has come as advertised because coming into this when he was drafted and if you watched him at LSU and you listen to US or other programs during the draft, but hopefully US during the draft, we talked about elite college run blocker. So so pass protector has some warts as a past protector that he needs to die now.
Speaker 1: Specifically that outside inside.
Speaker 3: To me, that's exactly how it's been.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I will just say this because I have to be a little bit positive about my guy.
Speaker 3: It has been a like, honestly a pleasure to watch that man run block.
Speaker 1: Like is he's ferocious.
Speaker 2: It's incredible, It's un it's awesome. It is awesome to watch that man run block like we're we're talking about like forget about like the physicality and the finish, because oh that's great, right, but everybody can throw their weight around, Like if you're six six, three hundred and thirty pounds, you can throw your weight around that that that stands with, you know, without mentioning his ability to work up to the second level, he is on the second level in an instant. His down blocks cave in the line of scrimmage, like he's literally taken out guys on the line of scrimmage already down blocking.
Speaker 1: He's got Fulda mill Williams over twice in that first patter pe.
Speaker 2: He's got the reach in the and you know, the athleticism to reach landmarks on the front side of run plays, whether he's sealing the edge to get the you know to on a toss play, or he's front side reaching on outside zone to hook the edge, you know, to get that corner for the running back.
Speaker 3: He finishes, He's nasty, he's physical, he moves people.
Speaker 2: He is a day one I would say almost good to maybe potentially great run blocker, like right out of the gate. So with that with Jared Wilson, who I also think is a very athletic and could excel as a run blocker, and then what you got brewing on the right side, with Morgan Moses and Mike on Wenhu. I am really optimistic that they're going to be able to run block and there might actually be able to have a productive, effective running game. And we argue all the time about the importance of that, but I think the main thing to me, the big takeaway is if you can run the ball, the things that you can do off the run game are just as important as actually running the ball right. So if you can come into games and teams.
Speaker 1: Oh my, did Evan just suggests running sets up the pass.
Speaker 2: If teams have to respect the fact that you can, they can come off the ball and they can get Mike on Winnu and Morgan Moses on the double team, and they can move some bodies right and they can run to the left side with actual range and athleticism with Jared Wilson and Will Campbell, you know, getting up to the second level, or like I said, you know hooking the outside, reaching the front side of a play to get the corner, you know, Trayvon Henderson, scooting around the edge like they can do all those things. Now you can play action. Now you can boot, you can move the pocket off of that. That's how you can protect the quarterback. And not only are you protecting the quarterback, but you're protecting the pass protection as well, because you're doing these things schematically that give the defense pause and and force the defense to respect the run and respect the actions in the backfield. All of these things limit the true pass sets that you see from from the tackles right like the actual drop back passing game, which will allow you to maybe protect those tackles a little bit if they are a little bit weaker. Because I think Moses has had his issues too at right tackle and pass protection as well. So so let me just get to stra all of these things. I'm like, I'm like a kid on Christmas, like this is awesome.
Speaker 1: Let me just get this straight. Yes, you're talking about the run setting up the pass.
Speaker 3: For now, it's not where I want to be. It's not like the end goal. It's not the end.
Speaker 1: But you're acknowledging the run can set up the pass. That whole argument we had this week are about me saying being tough on the line of scrimmage and pushing the defense around initially can benefit you later in the game.
Speaker 2: I am acknowledging that run actions mean more than just running the football. You can run the ball and then you can action off of that. Whether it's play action is whether it's.
Speaker 1: That run action going to be as effective as the defense can respect it as much. If you don't prove you can run the ball out right, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: No, it's not I'll concede that point to today because I'm excited and I'm going to allow myself to be excited.
Speaker 1: Excited about the Patriots ability to run to set up the pass.
Speaker 2: I am excited about their running game mark the Dayton time. I think their offensive line is built for it. I think their offensive line is built to be able to run the ball. I think they have backs. I think Rimandra Stevenson and Trevion Henderson are going to be bad in factor backs we talked about we will in a second. I think they're gonna be able to run the football. And Josh has always been able to run the football, So I think they're gonna be.
Speaker 3: Able to run it.
Speaker 1: You got to get it, got to get a new fullback, got figure out what's happening there.
Speaker 2: But I think they're gonna be able to run the ball. Which, again, if you're only if you're running the ball and your play actioning, and that's like your base offense, like that's your first and second down offense. Now you're whittling down those like true past protection reps where the guys are on islands at tackle and things like that. Now it's only like situational, it's only third down. It's only two minutes, Like, you're not doing that for the entire game, where guys are just teeing off on Cam and Moses for four straight couarders. You can stay ahead of the chains, you can stay in the game on the scoreboard, and you don't have to put those guys expose them to like thirty pass sets per game. That's better that you can work with that. Now, that's not to excuse the fact or to like to hide from the fact that Will Campbell's pass protection in practice so far has been a mixed bag.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: On the true pass sets, yes, he's been fighting, holding up on the play actions and stuff like the true it's really that, I know people don't like it when we bring this up, but I'm going to bring it up. The Drake may Fore interception practice in the spring, Yes, it was four picks and six throws, and then he was fine after that. This was like he allowed to sacks today and a pressure is in the span of like four snaps, right, And then I thought the rest of the day he was fine. There was nothing glaring. So it's just it's concerning because it wasn't such a short window and he's beat on that same move. That's what I want to ask you to go back to what we're talking about, amble and kind of coming as advertised. We knew I mean the arm length thing aside, and I guess it's loosely related to the arm length. But how do you how do we knew we need to get better at that outside in move and just protecting the inside right? How do you like? What is the coaching point? What do we look for to see he's improved other than just okay, he's blocking it? Like, what do we look for to see how does he adjust to being better against that move?
Speaker 3: So if we.
Speaker 2: If we go class glass half empty on this and we tie it to the arm length, which it could be tied, it.
Speaker 1: Is loosely related. So it's not it's not his arms are too short he can't reach out there, but.
Speaker 2: I think it is so most of the time when this happens, it's because he'll face like a guy like Chase on ur s Winston who's got some speed off the edge, and in order for him to get his hands on those types of guys, he might need to take an extra be he leans a little bit right to get out there because he doesn't have the length to just reach him. So he's over compensating, right, he's reaching out further to the outside and he's getting his weight over here. And then they're just swimming across inside back inside. So all of these things could be tied. If you want to be glass half empty about it, they could be tied to the arm light. Now, how do you work around that? I think it's there's two ways. Obviously, every guy inside outside you want to set inside out. You want to protect the inside first and make the guy go the long way home.
Speaker 1: And he has done a good job. He does this against Keon White today when he gets beat outside initially he has good recovery. Yeah, so he can. It's not perfect, but and I was talking to Felgrin Maz about this. I don't know. I didn't even mean to plug it again. I'm sorry. Something that great offensive lineman can do. And you can speak to this better than me. But it's just kind of how I've always felt. Nobody goes a whole season without getting beat. You're gonna get beat. The greats get beat a handful of times. But there's getting beat, and there's getting beat right, you can kind of lose.
Speaker 3: The rep today against Bandon Swinston.
Speaker 1: So that was a blowby, right, that was not just to beat those blowby like being better at getting beat initially and then recovering and kind of making it so okay. Drake has to like getting beat, so Drake has to step up and reset versus getting beat. So Drake gets out right sacked are obviously two different things, sure, and so I think there's some of that where like if you get when he's getting beat to the outside, it's not it's not like leading the sacks, it's just kind of moving the pocket, right.
Speaker 2: So what I see from him is that in order for him to reach those out those high side rushers, those guys that are testing his edge with speed, he's got to be aggressive. And so he comes with both hands and he just wants to fire his hands because he wants to end the rep as quickly as possible. He's got great grip strength and great base power, so if he gets his hands on you, the rep is over. So his goal is to get his hands on people quickly and be more aggressive. Whereas like if you're a bigger, longer tackle, you can kind of just sit.
Speaker 3: Back and catch guys.
Speaker 2: Trent Brown, he is trying to go get him, and because of that, when he whiffs, he whiffs badly. So being more patient in his sad and kind of trusting his feet more than anything, I think is really the starting point of where I would think that the coaches are out with him because he's got great athleticism and he's got great feet. So trust the fact that you can move your feet. Instead of coming out and getting over extended and throwing that punch with two hands, try to sit back a little bit more, try to be a little bit more patient, wait it out for an extra beat, and try to use your feet to recover.
Speaker 3: That's what I would coach you. But I'm not Doug Muro. I'm not offensive one. I'm not trying to pretend to be.
Speaker 1: So that's what I would some of it too. And I don't know how much you do this with practice, but like just on film, this is when guys will go to that move. This is the looks that will come with that move, and like if you know it's coming, you can better, Like can film help with that?
Speaker 2: It can, especially if like a guy has a go to move and then like a go to counter off that move, because what's gonna end up happening my guess is is that guys are probably going to speed speed speed for like three quarters yea, and they'll save the spin or the inside move until it's like a third down in the fourth quarter and it's like a big moment in the game. You know, Max Crosby, if he does rush over the left side a little bit on Will Campbell, I don't expect Max Crosby to go to the inside move the first time he faces Will Campbell. He'll try to sequence it together and build up to it and then set it up for a big moment. So there's a little bit of that like anticipation of like when it might come as well. But the other thing is, and I know people don't want to hear this about a fourth overall pick, but he's a rookie at the end of the day. There obviously are schematic things that you can do to help him protect the outside a little bit better. You know, you can chip, you can put a tight end over there, give him a little forearm, a little get a slab going over there with Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper. You can have the backs chip out of the backfield, and then he can compensate for the chip right and kind of set a little bit more to the inside anticipating the chip, and then you can feed the player onto him so that he's a little bit easier for him to block the guy. I know people don't necessarily want that, like they want him to be able to pass protect on an island, like he's Joe Thomas. I get that, but out of the shoot, if they have to do stuff like that, if it's third and ten and it's a long down and distance and the defense is going to pin his ears back and they have to chip or they have to help, you might have to do that.
Speaker 1: It's not his whole career. It's things you're doing to help him as a rookie get along while he builds up the ability to play more on an island.
Speaker 2: Again, I would stress to him if it were me, I would stress to him like, you have great feet. Yeah, you're quick, You're nimble on your feet. You can slide, you can set out, you can mirror pass rushers, you can recover, Like, just sit back just a little bit longer and just trust your feet and don't be as aggressive as he tends to get at times, and I think he'll be all right again. Like I would still give him a passing grade for the camp. And I think his run blocking is like an A plus out of the shoe.
Speaker 1: His run blocking's legit. Yeah, it's he's again. I said the word before, I'll say he's vicious.
Speaker 2: So on the other side, with Morgan Moses, I'm a little.
Speaker 3: I'm small seat concerned. Is that allowed to be said?
Speaker 1: Uh, why are you? And then I'll say yes or no.
Speaker 2: It's two reasons. One, I think it was better today, so I'll give him that. Maybe maybe it was too premature for me to jump to this conclusion. I've seen speed give him some problems, protecting the corner against speed rushers, getting out of really getting out of his stance, and like getting his hands on some of those guys. I think it's been a little bit of a problem. The other thing is, and maybe this is just a twelve year veteran that they're easing in and they're managing and all that good stuff. But I can't help but think, is he really going to play seventeen games and hopefully for this team this year?
Speaker 3: Like more than seventeen?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like you're hoping that they're going to play eighteen or nineteen games twenty Hell, let's go for it.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna be able to do that?
Speaker 2: And if is not a Moses problem necessarily, I mean, the durability is a Moses problem, but he's thirty four. It's it comes with the territory at times. You no offense. But I don't particularly love what they have backing him up. So like, if he's missing a month of the season, then that's a month of Trey Jacobs, Vederian Lowe, Marcus Bryant, whoever it is at right tackle. That's a problem that's not good enough.
Speaker 1: So that's not being concerned about more like I don't durability, right, I guess yeah, No, the backup tackles. We talked this a lot over the you know, over the off season, like it's a question. They relatively answered their starting tackle questions. We know who they are. At this time last year, we had no idea who the starting left tackle is going to be. It was either gonna be the rookie right tackle, they were going to move over the borderline starting right tackle they signed from Pittsburgh who got caught who they were gonna move over or Vederian Lowe, and then it ended up being low who I think was like the third option there and the right tackle. We didn't know who that was gonna be, and that guy ended up at this time last year being on the Denver Broncos. So it's they answered to an extent. The starting group, it's a house of cards, like if it is Campbell, Wilson, Bradbury owned went ww Moses. I feel okay about that. It's not gonna be a top five unit in the league, but I think that that's representative. But that can fall apart real fast because you lose one or two guys and it's the depth is not there. And look, they had a lot of needs this offseason. I understand why, you know, back up right tackle maybe wasn't on the top of the list, but it's something that probably went under address. Same on the left side. So unless you really believe in Marcus Bryant, he's the one guy that's kind of an unknown. So I won't I'm not gonna say you know what you have in him because you don't. Uh, you know, Andre Jacobs, we know who he is. He's a career back up kind of fringing player Darian Lowe. He runs hot and cold, but when it's cold, it's really not good. I'm concerned about their tackle death as the durability. He's thirty four years old.
Speaker 2: I mean, that shouldn't be und in hand, right, Like I'm not saying it's news to me. I just watching these practices and like he's in and out of practice, and then he's in, then he's out again, then he's out, and.
Speaker 1: So I be more worried about that if it wasn't clear that they were making that point of emphasis for a lot of their veterans. Right, I'm not worried about the condition. Harold Landry's in. He got a veteran day today. Carlon Davis will see he's been out. But like they're kind of doing the veteran day thing for quite a few guys. It was just and I don't know, maybe this is a dumb way to look at it by me. Maybe it's just being too optimistic. If it was Jess Morgan Moses, I'd be like, oh, there's something wrong. I kind of look at it in the fact that Vrabel's openly talking about it. They're just kind of trying to make sure some of their veterans are in the right shape for the start of the season.
Speaker 3: So he was better.
Speaker 1: Toda, he was better, And I think he didn't rotate with the mantra Jacobs today, right.
Speaker 2: No, And so maybe feel a little bit better watching him in one on ones and team I thought he'd protected the edge a lot better today. So maybe that you know, a lot of offensive line Bay two is just like rhythmic and time and all that. So maybe getting the snap counts down and getting his feet and his like you know, reaction time and all that jargon like down so that he can be a little bit better.
Speaker 1: We'll say this. I don't know if it's concerned with Morgan Moses, just something to watch for. You know how these tackles now, like they're trying to jump the snap the same way defensive players are trying to jump the snap.
Speaker 3: And he does that.
Speaker 1: That Washington game last year, they are called like five fall starts in a row. Yeah, No, he's he's right there trying to jump. He's gonna get called for a few fall starts early on because that's he's that's.
Speaker 2: That's part of like, Okay, is he doing that to overcompensate because he's.
Speaker 1: Not a lot. I think a lot of veteran guys do that. I think, now that's just like the thing to do.
Speaker 3: They try to be smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't think it's a it's like a veteran trying to compensate because what's his name, Trent Williams does it. Yeah, but I guess he's older too. It's bad exactly, I know.
Speaker 2: But like I hear what you're saying. I said, I think what more like my concern level is less about that. I think like Morgan mos is going to be like a bust of a signing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more worried about his availability.
Speaker 2: I'm worried about his availability and the fact that they really don't have anything that you feel good about behind him.
Speaker 1: That's that's with a thirty four year old player. That's fair. I think I'm more concerned. It is a dumb take. I think I'm more concerned about what's behind him than his durability. And I get there intertwined.
Speaker 3: But like, right, because you only knew what's behind him if he's hurt.
Speaker 1: Right, but he's played at least fourteen games, yes, every year of his career.
Speaker 2: Right, so yes, but for a team that we're projecting to go like eight, nine to nine to eight and be like, right.
Speaker 1: Those two or three games, couldn't I yeah, yeah, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: All right, So I think that's enough on the offensive line. I think we just spent forty five minutes on the offensive line, which is our show. And that's not surprising. You mentioned Trayvon Henderson. You wanted to talk about Travon Henderson.
Speaker 3: And I did too. He's on my list.
Speaker 2: The main thing here I had written down for him just pass game impact, Like I think he's gonna be an impact receiver out of the gate, just an impact playmaker in general. But you see in the passing game when he runs like a wheel or like a vertical route out of the backfield, that's going to be a hard foot race for a lot of linebackers to hang with him. We've seen him run some routes detached from the formation as well, like outside the formation too. I think those short little option routes that we saw James White live an entire Patriot Hall of Fame career on, I think those are in his bag as well. Today I saw him throw a chip block that landed a pancake, which was cool to see see that pass protection a little bit. He has come as advertised as well, I would say, from explosiveness, sub game, pass game contribution. My only question with Travion Henderson after watching him since the spring, is not ability. It's workload, like just managing workload. He's not the biggest guy, he's not the biggest running back. It doesn't make sense to make him a volume running back. So how exactly do they strike that balance of this guy's a dynamic playmaker, but we also don't want to overuse him at the same time.
Speaker 3: That's the only question at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I still think Rimondre's getting a brunt of the workload in terms of the overall snaps. Now, the big moments right third down, two minute drill. I think that's where you see Henderson. The thing that stood out to me, and we'll need to look at this more when the games come around, because it's not a perfect gauge in when they're not tackling, but man, when he gets to the outside. There was a run today and he had one yesterday. It was the same thing. Yesterday was a toss. I think today was a stretch. The one yesterday, like he has tossed the right side and the defensive line comes down and caves it in and it's like he's got nothing, like it should have been blown up and he had a little sliver angle and when he hit the top gear ended up being a touchdown. Like his ability to create something from nothing by getting the right angle and using his speed the fast and take right. Okay, he's fast and his ball carrier vision, but not just identifying the hole but being able to time up, like when to run full speed. So on that toss play for instance, right, if he just run full speed right away, he would have lost the yards because the blocking wouldn't have developed and the defense would have gotten to him. He waited up. He was patient, and then he knew when to hit the speed and what angle to hit. I go back to the screen touchdown against Texas in the college football playoffhere.
Speaker 3: If you watch that to be there, right, if.
Speaker 1: He runs full speed as soon as he catches the ball, it's like a fifteen yard game, which isn't bad, but you know it's the play's not developed. He's patient, he waits, the blocking develops, he identifies the hole, he hits it and then boom, he hits that top gear and pulls away his ability to identify when he needs to run full speed when he kind of needs to slow up to be patient to visualize the blocks developing. All of that, he is very impressive and it's a couple times now he's created something from nothing, which we talked about this offensive line. There might be a few cases here where's running the ball it looks like nothing. So if you can get something out of that, that's going to be a major boost for this offense.
Speaker 3: He's fast, there's no doubt about that. That speed.
Speaker 2: He's fast, and that speed translates instantly, like you can see it.
Speaker 3: It's palpable, you can feel it.
Speaker 2: He's he's faster than other people on the field and and he's a I think he's gonna be a pretty good receiver now. The only thing that like is holding him back if anything at receiver is just like landmarks and like kind of figuring out like how exactly Drake wants him to run certain routes in terms of like where he ends up.
Speaker 1: Ye, look, get there, they'll get their typical rookie staf right.
Speaker 2: They'll get there with that with you with Remandre I have no reason to believe that he won't be a lead back for this team on early down, lead back, whatever you want to call that. I until today, Landlerson got some reps today with the top offense with some other frontline guys with Drake, But I thought Antonio Gibson had been pretty much holding everybody off for that third running backs body. Gibson's actually and maybe it's just a veteran thing versus a rookie, but He's gotten some reps over you know, in front of I should say, or ahead of Trayvon Henderson even at times this summer. So I still think Gibson is is okay, Like, I still think he's probably on this team and has a role. He's been returning kickoffs too in special teams with Henderson that's been like the top duo returning kickoffs. Let's talk about the receivers, because I know this is another hot button topic. My other like take other than the offensive line and how just jazzed up I am about the fact that they have two rookies that can play. I'm also trying to like manage my excitement level for Stefon Diggs, Like my excitement level for Steffonde is pretty high. And I'm just trying to keep it in perspective and like, you know, take the hose and like put put me out a little bit about this, because I understand that the bar is not very high with what I'm about to say, but it's still true. He's the best receiver I've seen in Patriots camp since prime edilement. And it's not particularly close. Like you just see like the efficiency of his movements, the quickness of his movements, how good he is his hands, like he has magnets for hands, and like his ability to finish at the catch point, and even when he's like in a crowded, contested catch kind of situation, his ability to finish through contact and keep the play, uh, you know, keep the ball in his hands.
Speaker 3: He just he's a professional receiver.
Speaker 2: Like he just looks different than everybody else on this on the field. Uh, It's it's really impressive to watch him. I just if he's healthy and he's a go and everything's fine, which it appears to be. Like I just don't see a world where he doesn't catch a hundred passes in this offense. It's like I just can't really fathom how that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna be in that role, and he's gotta stay healthy.
Speaker 3: He's gotta stay healthy.
Speaker 2: But I and look, it could be like I've said before, it could be one hundred catches for a thousand yards, like it might only be like ten or eleven yards per catch. I don't know if he's gonna be truly a big play down the field burner anymore, but he is. He's as advertised. And like I said, I I think over the last four or five years, you've seen some other veteran receivers, whether it's Nelson Agalore and Kendrick Bourne and DeVante Parker and those types of guys, and you're like, like, you know, Bourne's fine, but like those other two, it was like, I don't know, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know about this, right. I don't feel that way about Stefan Diggs. I feel like Stefan Diggs looks like Stefan Diggs and that's a that's fun. Like, that's a great development for them, and I think he's gonna be a real player for them. They the Patriots might have a Fantasy relevant wide receiver.
Speaker 1: And Josh mctangiel's offense you never know, but no, he's been. He had that one day where made a couple of drops. Besides that, he's clearly one of my favorite targets. What's really impressive is how advanced their chemistry seems to be already, considering he wasn't really on the field with him in the spring. Yeah him, I mean the clear top four is him, Pop Booty and Kyle Williams. Yes, and then after that, you know, where's Kendrick Bourne stand, where's Jalen Polk stand? All that? But those four there's a different kind of talk about speed. It's different kind of speed to that unit. I think they all have good chemistry with Drake May already you mentioned Kyle Williams. Your boy.
Speaker 2: Big catch today go out from Drake May exactly as advertised. He caught another one yesterday too in high red zone where he just ran by the guy the defender on a go rounde to and d Drake dropped that one in the bucket as well. The one today was not that it was like a bad play by Kyle Williams. It was a beautiful throw though, Like that was you know, Kyle Williams really hadn't run past I think it was DJ James that was in coverage. He hadn't really run past him yet, and Drake just kind of layered it or laid it out there for him, and Kyle Williams ran underneath it and Drake kind of threw him open, like he just kind of What I was happy about with Kyle Williams on that play is that he kept running. Like at first I thought maybe he was going to shut it down and like run a back shoulder or something like that, but he knew what Drake was going for and he kept running and Drake ended up throwing him open. So it's a great connection there. The back shoulder timing still needs a little bit of work like that seems like it's still a little off. I'm not one hundred percent sold yet that. Like in press Man, the first and second level routes, I don't know if he's going to where his separation level is with that. But he can run a go route, that's for sure. And if you start there and maybe expand as we go here, then that's that's good news for Kyle Williams. Is he pushing Kisehan Boody? Is there a world where Kyle Williams is starting for this team. Do you still feel like Booty's got that job, you know, locked down?
Speaker 3: Where do he? Where's that competition for you right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, booties gonna make the team with how involved he is. I wonder if it's one of those things, and we've seen them do this in the past where the veteran starts the year and then it's not one major switch, just over the course the rookie slowly and slowly gets more involved. I also think we know McDaniels isn't afraid to rotate and have four or five key guys, and you know there isn't necessarily a default eleven personnel. There might be that one guy it was Edelman, it would probably be Digs in this scenario that's like always on the field, but the other guys are moving around, especially when a guy like Digs has the flexibility he does to play xy and slot. So yeah, you wonder with Kyle, I wonder if it's just gonna be an outright forman rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you wonder with Kyle Williams too, Like I just mentioned, maybe it's like a limited route tree for him to start and so in certain packages, certain calls, like certain times of the game you might want, you know, the go route specialist on the field, right, which might be when he is to kind of start his career and then he plays in those situations. I don't know if he's though, from just like an all around game perspective, like is he ready to be like the starting X receiver and like playing in all packages and all that kind of stuff. Probably not, but he can definitely have a role as like like you said, like kind of like a wide receiver three slash four where he's rotating with Booty and sometimes you know, in certain situations it might be Booty, like maybe in like a twelve personnel when they want like a more experienced run blocker and somebody that like knows those elements a little bit better. But then when they get into those eleven packages and they just want to get their best playmakers on the field and their most speed on the field, like then maybe it's a Kyle Williams. The last thing on the receivers, I wanted to mention where you had to take about Javon Baker the other day on on my old program on Clintis that had our friends talking on the beat about your take about Javon Baker.
Speaker 1: Were people talking about it, really little.
Speaker 3: Chatter about Javon Baker, not just from oh just in the group chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, one like yeah, but Javon Baker. Is there any chance for Javon Baker, because so if you had to stack like his highlight reel catches. Yeah, in this camp like he has as many highlight reel catches as anybody. That doesn't mean that it's a consistency issue, is my point. Like he makes once a day, he makes.
Speaker 1: But you know what, the lows aren't as low as they like. There was one instance where he didn't line upright and it was right after me.
Speaker 3: That Alex has talked about this already.
Speaker 1: But well, okay, here's the thing you talked about being lowercase C concerned right about Morgan moses to borrow that parlance lowercase G Goods start to camp for Javon Baker, lower case GE gets sorry, Look, you know this is how I do camp, right. I'm a credit where credit is due, guy, I actually have another credit where credits do take that we can do after this. But Javon Baker came out he wasn't even working with the ones he was working with the twos and threes, and he was getting open regularly against twos and threes. Now he dropped one and Josh Dobbs overthrew him a few times, so he didn't have any catches. The overthrows and ours fall. That drop is well, it's not his faulty. No, you're the one where Doms missed him by like fifteen yards. It's actually impressive as far Dobbs through the ball. But like he's getting open, okay, credit, What more is he supposed to do when he's with If he's gonna make the team, he's got to show he can compete against top unit. In order to get the reps with the top unit, he has to show that he deserves them by winning against lower units. And I think he did that. You know, he's gotten a little bit more with Drake may here he caught the big bomb from him the other day. Ye had that toe tap catch? Was that from mayor Dobbs and near the tow tap on the sideline today Dobbs, that might have been Dobbs. He's still working mostly with Dobbs. But like, look, this is again this is how I do camp. I don't think I still don't think Jayvon Baker is making the team. I still think he's far away and there's too many guys ahead of him, and all that lower case G goods start to camp credit where credit due. He's done pretty much.
Speaker 3: As he's done what he could have possibly.
Speaker 1: Right, He's doing as much as he could realistically do. He's making the most the opportunity he's getting. So lowercase G goods start to camp for Jaymon Baker realistically, you know, like realist good situation, And because there are so many receivers ahead of him, if they let's say, like they hadn't signed stuff on Diggs, right, this may be a more serious conversation because there's probably one or two guys in the way, especially when mac Hollins comes back, or like let's say just like they had less you know, Polk was still hurt. Whatever, it might be more serious conversations. Probably not. So You're just like, realistically, if he's gonna have this kind of success against twos and threes that he is, throw him out there in the second half of preseason games, let him take over and maybe get like a six round pick for him.
Speaker 2: So what I I think he has so along with just like the highlight Yeah, the flashes. The other day you mentioned the seven on seven catch where he just basically blew by the entire defense and caught a deep off from Drake May. Yesterday he high pointed the one in the in red zone period where he went above the corner.
Speaker 3: I can't remember who the corner.
Speaker 1: Was, but he Moss the guy Mott was I want to say Marcellus Dial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he went right like he was on.
Speaker 2: Javon Baker went to the tenth floor and the corner could only get to the seventh floor, and he won right right won the ball. He has a skill set and I would like he has a skill set plus a body type that's different from Booty and Kyle Williams. Yeah, Javon Baker runs like a gazille. Like Javon Baker's got long strides, he got great build up speed, like he pulls away from the defense a little bit better than a Kasehan Boody does. And then he's got better size than a Kyle Williams. So that's what he does. Going for him is that he's a specimen. Like he is a physical specimen. He's six' to two with four to four, speed four or five speed, maybe BUT i think he's probably in the four. Fours like he's got good, speed especially long, speed and he's got good size for the, position and those other two GUYS i don't think necessarily check those. Boxes So Javon baker's got that going for.
Speaker 1: He ran a four or five.
Speaker 2: Four, SEE i feel like he's faster than, That but maybe that's just LOWERCASE.
Speaker 1: G good. Start we'll see what happens if he Get like here's the. Thing if he's making catches like this on a regular basis in preseason, games he's probably not going to get to the practice. Squad so it's just something, too you, know if you, know it's obviously not ideal for round a year?
Speaker 3: Ago where credits do as? WELL i think he's made some nice.
Speaker 1: Plays CAN i give you one more guy? Credit where credits? Do maybe this lessens the take On Javon. Baker, okay you know what else? Said like a sneaky solid couple of days, here it's just regularly showing. Up caught a couple of touchdowns last few.
Speaker 3: Days, Gee, scott SO i was going to get to the tight.
Speaker 1: End so go, okay go, Ahead well So Hunter Henry Austin hooper the top two tight. Ends, obviously still nobody's emerged for that third tight. End Jack westover is getting most of the third tight end. Reps he was the second tight end up When hooper was on, pup but he hasn't really done much with, it at least from my point of. View you, know blocking, WISE i don't know That scott stood out at, all But Josh dobbs likes throwing. Him he's been a volume target and the one thing that stands out to me is he can catch the ball with the defender hanging on his back catching and it's not like he's going up mossing, guys but on the crosser right when the corner is like a hand on your shoulder and he's trying to turn, you or he's got a hand underneath under your. Waist like he's still catching all those. Passes so he's not getting, open but he looks. Open how often he's catching. These he's got strung kill so and, look he was a highly ranked wide receiver prospect who went To Ohio, state and obviously he's since become a tight, end so things have. Changed but AGAIN i don't know that G scott's going to make the. TEAM i still think they probably want to blocking third tight, end especially if they're not gonna have a, fallback which we can get.
Speaker 3: To i'm about to get.
Speaker 1: To but credit where credits? Do if we're everybody was, waiting you, KNOW i keep getting, questions who's third tight, end who's? Emerging who stepped up through seven practices from that? Group, Westover, Bell dupre And. SCOTT i Think scott's been the best.
Speaker 2: Guy he's been the most. Noticeable James bell had to catch today he. Did it was the first TIME i feel Like i've Said James bell's name are Written James bell's name.
Speaker 3: Down But. Scott IF i had to say who has a merger who has flashed the, Most i'm with, YOU i would Say. Scott AND i think, Again dobbs seems to really like throwing, him so we get into these preseason.
Speaker 1: Games he could be somebody that puts up some.
Speaker 2: Numbers so you mentioned the full back and we're gonna this is gonna get somber here for a. Second, Yeah so, really it doesn't he get that?
Speaker 1: Song it's. Upsetting it is, upsetting but it's not it's Still it's not.
Speaker 2: Forever so The patriots yesterday Plays Brock lampy on injured.
Speaker 1: Reserve you, know still call Him Spencer. Larson the other DAY i said that To Mike riso is very embarrassed you called Him Spencer. Lars, YEAH i REMEMBER i did, That LIKE i didn't called Make Greece Spencer, lars AND i Called lampy, space which he's not even like the number forty. Six BUT i did that on a show during the off season. TOO i don't know WHY i kept doing.
Speaker 2: That so The patriots Plays Brock lampy on injured. Reserve his season is.
Speaker 1: Over, yes it's not the kind of ir you can come back. From he is done for the.
Speaker 2: Year so The patriots do not have a traditional fullback on the roster. Anymore not to like Gloss over for sucks For, lampy like tough, obviously, yeah because he was gonna make the. Team he was running with the top. Unit he was gonna make the. Team, yeah so stinks For. Lampy but just from a moving forward, PERSPECTIVE i have to imagine The patriots are gonna kick the tires at some point. On some full backs Like Mike reese will have a list of like The patriots had five guys in for a workout and four of them will be full backs like or something like, that right, RIGHT i have to imagine that there's Also Hunter brosio, waivers like in roster cut down, day and if a team decides that they're not gonna go the full back direction with their, offense like maybe they wave a full back or they cut a full back and The patriots sign a full. Back Maybe josh McDaniels Calls Nick casario and begs For Yakub, Johnson LIKE i don't, Know LIKE i think they're gonna pull a full back out of.
Speaker 3: SOMEWHERE i would have to.
Speaker 2: Imagine it's not like we're asking them to pull a starting left tackle out of, somewhere, Right like this is a full, back They'll it's different in, that like if left tackle gets, hurt you have other left tackles on the, roster and you have to have a left. Tackle it's just hard to imagine they would go From, okay we're gonna have a fall back and he's gonna be involves and then one guy gets hurt and suddenly you change the entire offense because of. It like you, said you can find a full back that seems easier than changing the Off SO i think, that, uh that they'll find a full back. Elsewhere but for right, now they don't have the full. Back but like you, said they were using a full back up until this, point like the full back was, Involved, yeah meaning Brock lampy was involved up until this. Point one padded practicing out, though is a tough bee for Brock. LAMPY i feel for him, because like you, said he was going to make the. Team, so, uh we're on the same page with the full. Back they'll find a full back at some point here in the next, MONTH i would, assume AND i still, believe they'll have a full back on the.
Speaker 3: Roster.
Speaker 2: Uh and they'll use a full back, now could A jack West, Over Jean bell G scott, like could they develop.
Speaker 1: Their H they're, not that's not the guy you want me in the lineback with.
Speaker 3: You SO i think that they will probably sign another.
Speaker 1: So back again IF i can make the, pitch And i'm not entirely sure like. It sometimes it's hard to find information on these. Guys he may have gone back to, school but they didn't see him sign. Anywhere. Uh Hunter brosio was not Only North Dakota state's full, back and that's that's a school to run the damn ball. Right not only was he there starting, fallback he was also An All american long, Snapper so you have your, backup you'd have your, fallback and you'd have a backup long snapper if you need.
Speaker 2: One so that's no comment on. That, No, OKAY i feel like that's a good wrap on the. Offense we have to end a little bit early, today SO i don't want. TO i think we did a good job there on the. Offense but before we move over to the. Defense based right here In New, england brunt work where makes work boots and apparel that are built for the job. Site their gear is, comfortable durable and named after the real workers in the trade that help design. It you can even try brunt out on the job and if it doesn't blow you, away you'll let you send it. Back save ten dollars on your first order at brntworkwear dot, com forward slash pads or with coupon code ptas And. Bartha Massachusetts Tax Free weekend is coming. Up oh it, is and you can pre select your favorite pieces With Bob's Discount Furniture now score everything from game day, ready power click dining, sets bar carts and servers for all your halftime. Snacks even fan Favorite bob openot mattresses for your rest and recovery. Routine and, Remember bob's discount furniture goes even further on tax free, weekend so stop in shop online or reach out To bob's squad to lock in those. Savings now With Bob's Discount, furniture the official furniture store of The New England. Patriots moving over to the. Defense SO i said earlier THAT i was small sea concerned About Morgan. MOSES i feel a little bit better after. Today it's it's maybe like it's in like eight point. Font now you know we're really.
Speaker 1: Small, well the size of the font has nothing to do with whether or not letters are capitalized or.
Speaker 2: Not good, point good, Points BUT i try, to, LIKE i here out a different way to say. It CAN i say that you might be the same WAY a little bit About Milton.
Speaker 1: Williams, yeah, well just one aspect of his. Game SO i still Think Milton. WILLIAMS i mean he's clearly, powerful, explosive quick as a pass, rusher AND i think him And barmore it's clearly Have Kem that's gonna be a ton of fun and this EXPANDS i get it's not so much a concern About Milton, WILLIAMS i, guess as it is their front as a, whole and it's nothing. New we talked about, this. Uh part of getting quicker and faster and more explosive upfront this offseason meant getting. Smaller and this is a team that already struggled to stop the run last. Year So Milton williams did not have a great first few days in pads against the. Runs, specifically it's fine pass. RUSHING i don't think he was great against the. Run and it, was you, know a QUESTION i, had they're going to be smaller. Now Maybe Kyris tonga ends up playing a bigger role THAN i was expecting because it kind of looks like that based on what they've, done and he's been really.
Speaker 2: Good he's only done the team that he can eat space like truly eat space Like barmore eats space in his own. Way but if you're really talking about like a space eating nose, tackle It's. Tonga he's one of.
Speaker 1: One, Yeah roy's done it a little. BIT i don't know he was in with the first team Because barmore was. LIMITED i don't know that he ultimately makes the team when it's all said and. Done BUT i just Look miltwilliams playing a new role. Here he was a situational. Player he was a passing down player In philly because they had all that. Depth never played more than four eight percent of the snaps in his career before coming. Here him and Were able talked about that introductory press Conferce he's gonna play a bigger. Role that means stopping to. Run they need him to be able to stop the. Run so not you, know it's just a few, days plenty of time to turn, around but not a good first couple of days for. HIM i thought on run.
Speaker 3: Defense so your bigger picture concerned about the run defense as a. Whole In Milton williams's role in that is is totally.
Speaker 2: Valid, Yeah i'm not overly shocked that he's not like a glitzy practice player because of the style Of russier that he, is Like Melon williams is a speed to power, dent the pocket move the guard type of pass. Rusher, Right SO i WHEN i, see, like for, instance when you watch one on, Ones like the fact That Millon williams isn't dominating one on ones is not a surprise to me and doesn't worry me at all because it's.
Speaker 1: Just not the type of pass rusher that he.
Speaker 2: Is he is somebody that likes to convert speed to power and he wants to go through, people and, like you're not gonna see that unless he puts somebody on his, Butt like you're not gonna see it right in. Drills it's just not going to come to fruition the same. Way AND i would also just, say LIKE i think that that's a guy that plays the best when in real, Games LIKE i think he's a game, player not necessarily a practice. Player So i'm not worried About Milon williams because of. That BUT i hear what you're saying in general about the defensive line and his role in the run. Defense they are going to you, know he said it. Today this is all about get. Off it's about your first three, Steps like they want to fly up the field off the ball in this. Defense so in a lot of, ways and this is a deuce, Parlance i'll steal it from. Him they are going to stop the run on the way to the, quarterback like they are going to fly off the, Ball and the hope is is that when they shoot their gun that they shoot it right into the running, back Right, like that's the. Hope but if they don't and they, miss then it's going to be a little bit. Leaky, now the one guy that hopefully will prevent it from being too leaky is fourteen standing behind, Them Robert, Splane, like that's going to be his job.
Speaker 3: Is to fix.
Speaker 2: It is gonna make them right and put them back into plays and make sure that, those you, know leaky moments don't turn into like fifty yard runs right, right that's gonna be On. Spline but at the same, TIME i don't think that this is gonna be a very stout. Front this is gonna be a splash play.
Speaker 1: Front so, yeah and you mentioned it Being, Splaine he's gonna be a big part of. That Where i'm just coming from is LIKE i assuming everybody's, healthy and obviously they're a little banged up in the secondary right, Now but assuming everybody's, Healthy, Gonzales, Davis doug Or Pepper's Joe Marcus, jones AND i get that's an, If but assuming everybody's, healthy, RIGHT i actually think they're gonna be relatively tough to throw the football on between that. Secondary they don't have a great pass, rush but like they've got some dudes up there.
Speaker 3: On, yeah we'll GET i think're gonna be tough.
Speaker 1: Throw the ball. On what concerns me is that if that's the, case we remember what The jaguars did to them last year In. London All, right we're just gonna run the ball seventeen times in a row and they at least need to be good enough to deter. That that's the baseline for.
Speaker 2: Me it's fair moving to the, addressers as you just mentioned, him is it fair to say That Kalvon chason has been the best defender In patriots training.
Speaker 1: CAMP i think you could argue he's been the best player on the field since The pats came. On he's been saying.
Speaker 3: That, YEAH i think that there's a good argument for that as.
Speaker 2: Well he's it's beyond flashing at this. Point it's like he's just in the backfield every other. Play now you could look at that, again you could look at the negative side of that and, say, well who's blocking? Him then you, know like what's going on with the offensive. Line BUT i Think chason's just been, Great LIKE i think he's just been, explosive and he's you, know fits this scheme really well and he looks at home in. It you, know this is a guy who's a former first round. Pick AND i went through it this morning BECAUSE i was trying to jog my memory of his. Career he was drafted by The jaguars in twenty twenty in the first. Round that Was Doug morons last. Year Doug maroons here, now So i'll be gentle with What i'm about to. Say they won one. Game let's just stick to the. Facts they won one. Game it wasn't a good. Season the next year Was Trevor lawrence's rookie. Year it was The myer year In, jacksonville train, wreck right for the entire. Organization then he played on Some Doug peterson. Teams he goes To carolina for a. Year then he goes last year To vegas where he had like a josh U ja type season right where, like, yeah he's playing Opposite Max, crosby takes advantage of some, matchups he racks up from, sacks things like. That but there's still a first round talent in there, somewhere and it is there a Chance And i'm not saying he's going to turn into like a three down game, wrecker Like i'm keeping it within reason, here but is there a chance that he's like a really really good player in his role With BIG, t With Terrell, williams With Mike, rabel with a scheme that fits, him with the coaching staff that knows what it's. Doing, Like i'm just saying that he hasn't had the easiest road in THE nfl to this. Point he hasn't been on the best, teams and he hasn't had the easiest. Road so maybe at this Point Calebon chason can kind of find himself in THE nfl with The patriots because he's just looked, Terrific like there's no other, way.
Speaker 1: And this is the coaching staff that's had success kind of turning these guys. Around he's still, Young he've an he's been in the leagues in twenty. Twenty he's only twenty, Six SO i don't know that they Found Miles garrett out of, nowhere but, yeah if he can be a more productive pass rusher and kind of play up a little closer to that. Traffic it'd be. GREAT i think there is some Josh uche there where it's gonna come in spurts and you look at the flashes and you, say how real is? This like let's say he had like a twelve sax, season, right how quickly are people going to start talking About Mark anderson and THAT i would Take Mark.
Speaker 2: Anderson he's absolutely so weird that you just said, that because the first name that came to my mind WHEN i was like doing some research On chase on this morning was, like is he gonna be like A Andre Carter Mark anderson, type right that like comes to The patriots for a year and has DOUBLE?
Speaker 1: Digitsudt it Was Mark anderson had twelve sacks as a.
Speaker 2: Rookie, yeah Like Mark anderson, Had is the exact comp THAT i was thinking, of like the exact kind of player like?
Speaker 1: Everything, yeah, no if He BUT i would take A Mark anderson in year just let The bills be the ones to pay him after, Again BUT i would take A Mark anderson.
Speaker 2: Here but the point being With chase on AND i had the same point With landry in terms of The Mark anderson, stuff like If Keon white In barmore And Milon williams are moving the quarterback off the spot because they're just disrupting and they're just wrecking stuff in the interior and bodies are flying. Around we've talked about they need somebody to, finish, Right they needed somebody that's actually going to get the quarterback on the. Ground and there's NO i have no reason to believe that that can't be.
Speaker 1: Chasing, YEAH i think he can be a. Finisher it's been encouraging. Storry then the real next test for him is gonna be those joint, Practices like let's, See i'm not exactly putting in the ticket for Calebon chase On Defensive player of The year just, yet but it's.
Speaker 3: Been can you clean? Up that's?
Speaker 1: It you, know of all their free agent, signings that was not a guy that was like particularly high on my radar of, like, oh you, know maybe potential breakout guy could be a. Steal not THAT i thought he's gonna. SUCK i just he. Wasn't he kind of flew under the radar there in free. Agency he's been their best free agent edition so far in camp Maybe Robert. Splane he's also been really, good just not by the nature of his, position not the same number of impact plays because the way they play in. Practice but, boy if he's a fine that changes a.
Speaker 2: Lot it's just if he's the fourth guy like you said about you know oocha and those types of, comps like if you have to worry About Milon, williams you have to worry About, barmore you have to worry About Keon. White if those guys are worth worrying, about right those. ARE i don't know if like all three of them will Be tuesday players, truly but like they're their. Guys teams are scouting and having plans for that leaves. It you, know we've talked About landry in that role as well. Before but that fourth, rusher you, know whether It's chason or It's, Landry like that guy is gonna just see one on ones on the back side of the formation all, day every, Day Like chaison's is gonna get a one on one against the tackle and if he wins his one on, one then he's gonna get a bunch of. Sacks like that's just the nature of the beast, there AND i don't have any reason to believe that he can't do. That so he's been incite. Exciting he's been one of the best players on the, field like you, said for The patriots through seven. PRACTICES i initially wrote That swinson's been, quiet but he had the one on one, today so credit to him. THERE i actually Think Elijah ponders had some flashes and one on The, yeah he's been doing well on. That so those two, Rookies, uh coming on a little bit. Here swinston's been quiet up until, today BUT i thought today was one of his better days at.
Speaker 3: LINEBACKER i, mean there's not.
Speaker 2: A ton to say other than you, KNOW i Think Robert splaine is obviously locked. IN i Think Christian ellis is pretty locked into the spot next to him at this. Point If Gilyant devi is not out, there he's on the pup, list so that that's a. Factor but maybe we hear a little bit From Jack gibbons as well as like, where yeah.
Speaker 1: He's at the, screen Yeah. LARUS i mean he got to the. Ball he got he got To larison before the ball did From dobbs like he read. It, so, Uh Lane, larrison just to, Backtrack Land larrison caught his first pass From drake main teams. Today there you. GO i don't know if you put any weight in. That but that, Happened that did.
Speaker 2: Happen it was a nice little screen too good blocking Hunter henry.
Speaker 1: AND I i did a LITTLE udfa checking in my notebook. Today very, nice uh.
Speaker 2: Aside from like the occasional one like the one today For laris and just quick, ASIDE i think the least successful plays in practices of screens LIKE i feel like.
Speaker 3: The defense never, bites the defense never.
Speaker 1: Cares there's no reason of biting this.
Speaker 2: Right there's no reason to bite in the setting is exactly. Right and The patriots obviously want to have the screen game be a big part of the. Offense i'm not anti. Screen some people are anti. Screen i'm not anti. SCREEN i think a lot of really good teams. Screen you, know The eagles and The chiefs said The, chiefs Especially Andy reid is like a screen game, wizard, Right he's.
Speaker 1: Probably the best at.
Speaker 2: It The chiefs are always near the top of the league in screen usage and there if it's good enough for The, chiefs and it's good enough for everybody in my, mind BUT i feel like they never work.
Speaker 1: In but they're not not working because they're designed. Poorly they're not working its.
Speaker 3: Work the defense doesn't bite on, him.
Speaker 1: Right because there's no reason. To you don't want to get caught out of position to, like there's no upside to.
Speaker 4: Not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah so at, corner we know That Christian gonzales And Carlton davis are missing in and out of, practice maintenance whatever you want to call. It For Carlton davis And gonzales reportedly has the. Hamstring my concern level For Christian gonzalez is less than. ZERO i am absolutely not worried about his hamstring injury at. All, uh as far As i'm, concerned And i'll continue to SAY i said this yesterday ON PU i will See Christian gonzales week one Against Las Vegas, raiders AND i do not care if he practices one more time in the.
Speaker 1: Summer, yeah they can take their.
Speaker 3: Time, Yeah i'll see it against.
Speaker 1: The keep that same energy With Jason.
Speaker 3: Tatum, uh that's.
Speaker 1: Different, no it's. Not, no it's really. Not it's.
Speaker 3: Different it's basketball against. Football it's totally.
Speaker 1: Different it's it's the star, player it's the best player on the, team it's the guy wearing number.
Speaker 2: Zero BUT i said that he can't miss any regular season games if he starts to miss regular season games also have to be worried about.
Speaker 3: It For Christian, Gonzalez i'm.
Speaker 1: Just, saying keep that, patience keep that patience.
Speaker 2: Out Jason, Tatim but more importantly from a camp, perspective Because gonzales And davis have been, out which is an, Ideal, like no one's saying that that's what they want to, happen but we have seen opportunities from the depth corners and we're starting to figure out this depth chart and cipher through. This So, Alex, Austin, Marcella's dial AND Dj james are obviously the guys that are benefiting the most from.
Speaker 3: This what have you seen from those? Three, like who have you liked the most out of that?
Speaker 1: GROUP i Mean AUSTIN'S i think the third, Guy like that's pretty, clear and he's been good to another couple of pass breakups. TODAY Dj james been. IMPRESSIVE Dj james has just shown up and he seems like he makes a player two every. DAY i think he's been the better of the two Than. Dial, Now die was a core special teamer for them last, year so you have to factor that in in terms of Can james replace him in that? Role because somebody else replacement that role and want to keep them for special. Teams maybe they can keep bold excuse, me depending on how the rest of the roster shakes. Out but he's been. GOOD i am a little surprised you haven't seen More Isaiah, bolden Like i'd like him to Get it's in what is his three years? Now of can we see some more From Isaiah? Bolden and they haven't done a ton of kick RETURN i don't think he's really done much when they have done kick return, Stuff so he might be on the outside looking. In But i've been impressed WITH Dj, James SO D.
Speaker 3: J james have been, active you, know lock pass.
Speaker 2: Breakups MARCELLO'S i don't know If marcelli's dial is the best outside corner in terms of coverage, Ability LIKE i don't know if he's a true cover, corner BUT i do like his, physicality AND i like his play, demeanor AND i like his, speed AND i like his tackling. Ability Is marcella's dial maybe more like a nickel safety at this level than like an outside boundary corner like it plays in the slot plays maybe a little bit of. Safety he made some plays on the first day at pads against the, run that like really stood, out, like, yeah firing, downhill you, know filling, gaps filling you, know whole going through wide receivers who are trying to block him and just going right through him to the. Football SO i wonder If Marcella's, dial BECAUSE i don't think he's the. BEST i don't think he's the best cover, Corner LIKE i when he has to turn his back to the quarterback and really run with the receiver down the, Field i'm not sure that that's where he's more most. Comfortable but if he plays that nickel spot and he can play the, run he can be strong, side you, know edge, setter second force defender against the, run and then you also have him and maybe cover some tight ends which might be easier for, him you, know do some zone drops and things like. That like maybe that's a role For marcello's don because his physicality.
Speaker 3: And his tackling is is. Noticeable he's really good in.
Speaker 2: That you see on special, teams, right you see it in special. Teams SO i would Say, Dial BUT i understand why you picked Out james, There and it's also just Something i've been thinking about. It we don't have enough time for it, today but it's something to unpack in the, future just like how they're going to cover tight ends in, General i'm just not one hundred percent sure, about AND i don't know of dial factors into that we'll see at. SAFETY i just think the biggest thing to take away from safety is the hunt for a third safety is, on like they're trying to find the right combination back. There AND i would even go as far to say at, times like it might mean That Kyle dugger And Jabil peppers aren't on the field together all the. Time that could be a case where if they want to get three corners on the field and they want to be like a true three Corner nickel or even like a four corner dime or something like, that like they might play one of these more free safety body types like An EPs Or hawkins Or woodson With dugger Or peppers and take one of those guys off the. Field LIKE i don't think it's a guarantee that the two of them are gonna just be on the field all the, Time so we'll see where that. Goes but the third safety is clearly something they're looking, for like they're trying to figure out their best combination back.
Speaker 1: There, YEAH i, Mean hawkins seems to be squarely in the. MIX i feel like we've seen less Of Marcus EPs after the first couple of. Days maybe that's because he's still recovering from THE acl and the pads coming on and all THAT i had. Cited Maybe Craig woodson is that that tight end stop or he's kind of dropped off after he had a strong. Spring, so, yeah the search for that guy. Continues, YEAH i don't know if they have that. Guy, yeah they might not have.
Speaker 3: It they might not have.
Speaker 2: Him BUT i have noticed quite a few times, that especially if they're doing like third, down when they're repping third, down That peppers And dugger haven't always been out there. Together like it's sometimes it's Been, epp sometimes it's Been, woodson like it's been another guy that they're trying to get into their safety involved. There All, right to wrap this, up it's your time to. Shine, Yep i'm Gonna i'm gonna hand the ball over to. You the ball is now in your. Court tell me about The, kickers because my one question about The. Kickers, yeah Has Parker romo just take away that they Drafted borgolas and all that. Stuff if you take away all the, context Has Parker romo Outperformed Andy burgalas to this, Point.
Speaker 1: YEAH i mean by a slim. Margin, well so are we concluding the spring or? Not if we include the, SPRING i still Think borgolis is. Ahead romo has been slightly better in. CAMP i think it's pretty much. Even. OKAY i think not including the draft and tie is going to go to the draft pick, right, Correct so not including the draft pick factor and, EVERYTHING i would say going back to the, spring it's a. Tie. OKAY i do think it's interesting that After borgolis struggled with them, alternating they went to two. Days, Okay romo's gonna kick six and that's, it and Then borgolis is gonna kick six and that's. It and then they went back to alternating. Today so a little bit of a. Reset the end stadium On friday is obviously a, big big one for. THIS i Asked Bryce baringer about That Quinn nordin the Quin it's where were you Moment Quinn nordin's nine for nine in the end stadium. Practice we also remember where we.
Speaker 2: Were we're gonna name A Quinn ordine award on the show next. Week that's gonna be whoever won the in stadium practice for the.
Speaker 1: Kickers that might just be the annual The Quinn ordine. Winner but, yeah, no it's. BEEN i think that the other factor in this that you have to mention IS i think That Julian ashby And Bryce beringer are still building some chemistry as the snapper and. Holder punt snaps have been, fine the field goal snaps are still. There hasn't been any truly bad, snaps but there's still some where you, Know berenger's reaching a little bit to get it down and that can impact. It so the operation as a whole is still coming. Together BUT i think it's relatively neck. Connect but Again ty goes to the draft. Picks so IF i had a pick, today It's. PORGALIS i Think porgallis is going to have that kind of slight built in. Advantage but we thought it was over at the end of the, spring, right And romo's come back and he's had a great hand of the thing About romo is the way he hits the. BALL i, mean even when he's hitting from forty, five he's not just getting over the crossbar it's not lightly tapping that field goal, net, Right he's hammering the crap out of the, ball and that conna be good and. Bad. Right it obviously helps you in, weather it helps you in, wind you stick to your. Trajectory but those, guys when you kick that, hard your mechanics really have to be down because any minor issue in the mechanics is going to be you, know, uh it's gonna have more of an effect if you have a mistake because you're swinging so. Hard so that's About. Romo borgalis had that rough first. Day he's been good since you see him bounce.
Speaker 3: Back what do you make of? Him is something that we've talked.
Speaker 1: About yeah'm.
Speaker 2: Puh we've noticed that Sometimes borgalis's kicks are not in like they're not going end over. It, yeah they're kind of they're. Knuckleballs what do you make of?
Speaker 1: That if they go through ultimately it doesn't. Matter he's had a couple so the ones going back to the, spring like he had a mishit where it was still good but it just didn't hit his foot, right WHICH i think when you can mishit, it it still goes. Through that to the opposite that speaks to how strong your mechanics are that even if one thing's a little bit, off the rest of it's still tied together and you're in good. SHAPE i think that's just a consistency. Thing they might be working on his form a little, bit so that's why that's. Happening Like, romo if they were going to tweak his, form they probably did it last year when he was here on the practice. Squad it's not something they'd be working, ON i would think heavily right. Now call us obviously that's another. Story so as long as they're going, through it's not a big. Issue but it does tell you that there's something he's maybe working on.
Speaker 2: Mechanically so you feel, like as of right now that it's close enough that the tie goes to the draft.
Speaker 3: Picks, yes, Yeah i'm with you on. THAT i feel the same. Way, so but it's not.
Speaker 2: Over it's not over in stadium, practice preseason games that those are all big.
Speaker 1: Deals so that, position it'll be interesting seeing who they have kicking the games and how many reps each guy gets in the, games so that's usually pretty.
Speaker 2: Telling, yeah all, right so that's your run through the entire. Roster hope you enjoyed. It we have a couple more, minutes So i'm going to tell you. What we have three callers that've been waiting on hold.
Speaker 3: For a really long.
Speaker 2: Time but you guys got to be fast because we we got to get off your no pleasant another show on this in the, Studio so be as quickly as you. Can if you're still hanging on, Here patty and Agu, on what's Up, Patty.
Speaker 4: I'm still hanging, on, Hey. Evan i'll tell you WHAT i was ahead of the curve WHEN i thought WHEN i asked you, GUYS i au if you guys were excited About Jared wolfson coming back that he was on you, know he didn't practice on the, spring and if you guys thought he would want a starting, job guys kind of tempered those, expectations but now those those are full. Fledged so on that same, token AND i Know i'm looking far, ahead why not Put Christian gondals on Brock powers in week? One that makes the most sense to me because if you look at their skill position, players there's nobody that really as a game breaker other Than. Bowers that's ALL i. Got i'll take it out, there, Thanks.
Speaker 2: Patty SO i agree with you THAT i think it's in play that one of the corners takes Brock, powers especially on third.
Speaker 3: Down i'm with. YOU i Think Carlton, davis long, arms physical. GUY i think he's more of a pure matchup for. That BUT i will what one hundred, PERCENT i almost expect him third, down, pass third and. PASS i expect one Of gonzales Or davis to be On. BOWERS i expect him to treat him as a basically as a wide. Receiver riley is In. Phoenix what's? Up?
Speaker 1: Riley hey, guys how's it going?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: Hey so two quick. Questions i'm not sure if you.
Speaker 1: Already they're not my work, here so trying and.
Speaker 4: Do my best to keep. Up but what are we seen With Marcus epps And Marty.
Speaker 2: Maphu, yeah thanks for the, Call. Riley so he Mentioned depp's a little. Bit he's been in that third safety free safety. MIX i don't think that's necessarily a role where you're gonna see a lot of splash plays from that. Position it's more of Like Toron harmon be in the right spot kind of. Role but That's, epps map who's been playing linebacker a. Lot would for now with the second unit at, times but mainly THAT i would say, that you, Know toby is not out, there so it's hard to, say you, know If tavai was, here would it Be gibbins And, tavai you, know as the next two right on the field instead Of gibbons And. Mapu but that's where they're. Repping at Least mapu made some plays against.
Speaker 1: The run the other.
Speaker 2: DAY i marked him down for a couple of, stuffs so he was in there a few. Times BUT i wouldn't say either one of those guys has like, flashed you, know to a point Where i'm like talking about.
Speaker 1: Him he still feels like he's probably on the on the. Bubble, yeah and Then epps's had played enough THAT i think he's gonna make the, team but, yeah he hasn't necessarily had any big standout.
Speaker 3: Place All, Right randy is In. Providence what's, Up randy going?
Speaker 1: Once?
Speaker 2: Randy All, RIGHT i left those guys on hole for like over an, hour So i'm not. Surprised all, Right so that's gonna do it for today's. SHOW a little bit of an abbreviated episode today Because alex is just he's just a popular, guy like we just have to compete for his time this time of, year and that's hard to.
Speaker 3: Do so we all have a.
Speaker 1: Job we all have jobs we have to.
Speaker 3: Do, yeah that's.
Speaker 2: Fair next week we are going to be On. Thursday the next two, weeks, actually we're gonna be On thursday because of the joint practices that are coming. Up we wanted to do the one In. Minnesota we wanted to do it On thursday so that we can talk about both days of practice instead of just one day of. Practice and then next week again we have to Share barth with the sports of his day job at, least so we're gonna do the show On thursday for the next couple of. Weeks so we'll be On thursdays for the next two weeks After Patriots, unfiltered so two to four ish for the next couple of weeks. There but we'll keep you guys updated on all that good stuff on socials and On patriots dot com and YouTube and all those good. Things so you'll be updated on the times in the, days but for the next two weeks it'll Be, thursday Not. Wednesday but until, then signing off For Alex bart For alex behind The, glass we'll see you guys Next.
Speaker 1: Thursday, hey this is. Deuced thanks for tuning into the. Show if you really want to help, us make sure you like us wherever you get your, podcasts Like Apple podcasts Or. Spotify also make sure you follow us on The New England patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at The. Patriots thanks a, lot