Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Fame or Tim Kirkschen I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin and Dad. I got to say, just right off the bat if you're watching on YouTube, I love that shirt. Is that rowback? Is that a baseball He's a.
Speaker 2: Baseball collar shirt. Yes. And my grandson, your godson, Carson, has a matching baseball shirt and we have worn them more than once at the same time. So yes, this is a baseball shirt. I figured I would wear something other than a Walter Johnson sweatshirt pullover fleece. So this is I've all sorts of baseball themed shirts. Jeff, what else would I have?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, I know you like tell the story of when you had to go to the store Baseballism to find a shirt because you didn't have the right shirt at the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Is this true? Yeah? I didn't bring an up of polo shirts. I needed something, so I bought a Roberto Clemente shirt at baseball Isms. It was great. I wear it here and there. It's a little big for me, but yes. And then I went to the golf course there leatherstocking and bought two other Polos to get me through Hall of Fame weekend because I was so nervous I didn't pack very well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's pretty common. You and I are both throw it all in the bag and get on the road as soon as possible. I've forgotten underwear, I've forgotten socks, I've forgotten pants. So I've been there, Dad. Hey, yeah, I gotta I gotta praise you, Dad, because I get emails from our listeners, Great gamer what dot com, members of our family who want to message us, and then I go in to respond and you're responding constantly to people at great gamerw dot com. Well done, Dad. The technology is not beating you. It's tim one technology, zero waiting go.
Speaker 2: It's a million to one, Jeff. I finally won only because you set it up on my phone. An idiot could figure out how to use this. All you have to do is hit compose, write your thing, and then hit the little arrow. It's great. But Jeff, I've gotten some heartwarming things from our listeners and viewers. It's great. So Rob Johnson sent me this really nice email after finding out that my birthday is on December tenth, nineteen fifty six. Let's see how well you remember things. Jeff Walter Johnson.
Speaker 1: Will just stop you there right on December tenth, nineteen forty six.
Speaker 2: Yes, I found that very symmetrical. So now he knows what my birthday is. So he says, with its beautiful note, that my daughter Caroline's birthday is also on December the tenth, and I got such a kick out of it. Rob wrote me back the next day and said, this is embarrassing. I went to Caroline and told her that Tim Kirkchin is born on the same day as you, December the tenth. Caroline told him, Dad, my birthday's December the ninth. No, So Rob Age fifty one kind of wrote that off to getting older. He just temporarily forgot his own daughter's birthday. So I thought the story was even funnier and even more personal that he forgot his daughter's birthday and she, without any anger, corrected him knows the day before.
Speaker 1: Well. I want to shout out Chris McCarthy. He's been messaging us as well. I'm not sure if you have him on your list here, but he sent us FYI the free the three highest single season pitching b wars in the World Series Ara, I belonged to Walter Johnson, Walter Johnson and Dwight Gooden. And then he ends the message with did I ever tell you I went to Dwight goodin high school?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I read Chris's beautiful email and it was about the greatness of Dwight Gooden. So I'll tell Chris and you this story again.
Speaker 3: Jeff.
Speaker 2: Here's how good Dwight Gooden was. He pitched in the All Star Game, started the All Star Game, and Roger Clemens was the starting pitcher for the other team. I think this was nineteen eighty six, not important, it's right in the middle of Dwight Goodin's incredible prime. So Clemens hasn't batted since high school because he went to the University of Texas. They had a DH, had a DH in the minor league. So now this is the first time he's faced a pitcher since high school. And Dwight Gooden's first pitch to where Roger Clemens comes in at like ninety seven miles an hour with incredible zoom to it, and Roger Clemens looks at the home played umpire and says, do I throw that hard? And the home played umpire goes yes, Roger, you throw that hard, and he went god like. It was so important for Roger Clemens to recognize what great eat stuff really look like up close, and the only way to do that is to bat in a major league game. That's how great Dwight Gooden was. And Roger Clemens said that he started to throw his fastball more often, knowing if that's what it looks like, no one can hit that. So Roger Clemens's greatness continued after facing Dwight Gooden in the All Star Game. That's how great Dwight Gooden was in his prime. Also, Jeff John Woodward, who has sent in several emails, send me one this is beautiful, and he wasn't being critical, but he was disappointed in my all vowel team on Tuesday that I did not use Aurelio Rodriguez as my third baseman. I grew up watching him play in one of the great throwing arms of any third baseman I've ever seen. And John Woodward's point was Realio has all of the vowels in his first name, So we made a big deal out of Ed and Nelson Figueroa having all the vowels in their last name. Really o Rodriguez has them all in his first name, and I had to explain, You're right, I forgot. You know, I've done this list before, Jeff, and I know there was someone with all the vowels, but I've referenced Juhanio Suarez so many times for having all the vowels that he's very much in the news today, as you know, an active player with forty plus homers that I just didn't even think. I just put Uhanio Suarez. It's our third baseman, and Aurelio Lopez, also a old Tiger reliever head. Of course, all the vowels in his first name. So thank you John for pointing this out. It was very instructive.
Speaker 1: I don't have any news of this sort, so don't get excited. But maybe our next kid will call Mary Louise Kirks in all one word.
Speaker 2: Do you think that?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's all the vowels in the first name at this point. I mean, it's better than Sequoia Marchion. Right, there's not a lot of names I could I could pick here at Ophelia, maybe that could work.
Speaker 2: All right, just and there are not a lot of Kirchens out there, that's for sure. So. But of course, in case anyone's wondering, Stephen Kirkchin, formerly of the Boston Globe and the Spotlight Team, the greatest investigative reporter in the history of the Boston Globe, the guy that uncovered all of the huge scandal in uh with the Catholic Church in Boston. That was my cousin, Stephen Kirkchin, that did all of that. And he used used to tell me when I was a young beat writer, says, I want to do what you do. I want to cover a baseball team for a full year. Can you imagine Stephen Kirkchen, the greatest reporter ever. He would have gotten every scoop on every game, on every player because he knew he knew where to look. As they used to say in Boston, the five worst words of the English language for corrupt people are Stephen Kirchin is on the phone. That's how good my cousin was.
Speaker 1: Is all right, Dad, Let's jump into the takeaways.
Speaker 2: When you get Mets are suddenly scoring a bunch of runs. But more important, they have Nolan McClain on their team. He's first Met ever to win his first four major league starts. Even Dwight Gooden and Tom Seaver didn't do that. He's done it with a tremendously low era. And Tuesday Night, Jeff he got the win by retiring the final fourteen batters of the game. That's how that's how great he's been. And they also brought up Jonah Tong, young guy. So there's chance that the Mets can make the playoffs and I think they are and use Nolan McClain and Jonah Tong in their rotation in October. How how cool would that be if a team looked and said, all right, they're young, they're inexperienced, they don't know what they're doing, but we're going with it because there are two really good young arms.
Speaker 1: Well, dad, isn't there a part two? When it comes to a playoff run? That having younger players almost makes it easier because they're so green. They don't really know the bread, you know, the massiveness of the moment, so they're just kind of playing baseball. A lot of people talk about, you know, playing in a playoff game their rookie year versus their tenth season. You know, tenth year, you feel really pressured. I finally need to win the World Series. I've been in the league ten years, but in your first year you're like, well, I'm just here to play basketball. I'm here to have fun.
Speaker 2: Ignorance is bliss, and some of these guys just don't even understand the pressure that they're supposed to be under. I really like where the Mets are right now. They're really starting to swing. The bat Wan Soto has been great lately. Interesting. We'll have some great Pennant races to finish. So showe Aotani hit home run number one hundred as a Dodger, And we just need to always point out anything that Otani does because everything he does seems to be some sort of historic Miles Stone. This is another one, and Jeff I have to say, you know, we're not critical on this show. I'm just too old to be yelling at people. But the other day Cardinals Reds game, and Andy Vance, like former major leaguer, called me last night out of the blue just to tell me, did you see the infield fly rule? Well, the Reds are in the field, the bases are loaded, there's an infield fly rule, and the ball drops and everyone on the Cardinals got confused on the basis and started running all over the place and I, frankly, Jeff, am not sure the Reds knew what to do with the situation, because now guys are running all over the place. They don't know if it's a force, if it's a tag, who's going where. It was complete bedlam on an infield fly rule. And I'm going to tell the story again, Jeff, when Aaron Boone several years ago told us in spring training that he has told his defensive players on an infield fly rule, dropped the ball intentionally because it might confuse the runners. They don't know the rule and they take off and we might get an extra out of it. So on opening day that season, playing the Blue Jays, the blue Jays are in the field, a Yankee hits an infield fly rule, the ball drops, and the Yankees ran themselves into another out. And so what Aaron Boone was preaching his own team did the opposite of that. Messed it all up. And he called me the next day because we'd done that game, Rabbi Eduardo and I on TV, and he called to apologize for us having to watch a major league team foul up the infield fly rule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's so crazy that he would ask his team to do that, and then while they're on the basis different mindset, they forget the one rule.
Speaker 2: He is last thing. Jeff Frans Valdez of the Astros, a really good picture with sensational stuff, crossed up his own catcher, Caesar Salazar the other day him right in the middle of the chest protector with a strike and Salazar was expecting something else and he was given something else, and he absolutely whiffed on it. And Valdez later apologized for crossing him up. But there's some people out there that think that Valdez did this on purpose to his own catcher. Now I'm not sure about that. I'm not going there, but uh, why would I just don't understand why anyone would do that. Agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I saw the video actually this morning, and I think the reason why a lot of people are thinking he did it on purpose is right after it happened, he had no sympathy on his face. He had nothing but kind of an angry look. Right if he had gone, you know, my fault, my fault through the wrong pitch or something like that, and you'd be like, oh my gosh, total mistake. But maybe it was because of that. Maybe it was because of a bad call earlier, because of the grand slam, and the catcher said, hey, like, don't throw a pitch. He threw it anyway, gave up a grand Slam. Could that have been a part of it.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I talked to two former pitchers about that, and I said, don't tell me that was intentional, And both of them said that was intentional. He did that on purpose, which, okay, that's just two guys' opinion. That doesn't mean it's right. But it's really interesting. I always go back to when Raul and Banya is one of my favorite people ever. He was in his twenties trying to make a major league team, and he was a utility player, so he went to the minor leagues to learn how to catch so he could become the third catcher, to really improve his versatility and his chances of making the team. So he said, his first game behind the plate in the minor leagues, like, the first pitch came in and he completely missed it, and it hit the umpire like right in the chest, and the umpire Raoulavajas to go, what what are you doing? And I Banyas looks back at the uppart and say sorry, sorry, I've never caught before. But this is what you do in the minor leagues. This is where you learn how to play different positions by go experimenting on the minor league level. In this case, an umpire got nailed because poor Raoul Labayas, who was trying really hard, just missed the pitch. He didn't do it on purpose.
Speaker 1: Let's walk into the corkchins, dad, two of which I have a couple, but I don't want to jump on any of your right, Well, I'll give you mine first. So you know how much I love James Wood of the Nationals. So we got to be careful with this because Kenny Wood's dad. I played basketball with Kenny Wood for years.
Speaker 2: He's great. But James Wood now has twenty five hat tricks, Jeff, So that's twenty five games in which he struck out three or more time. So we'll call a hat trick three or more in baseball parliance. He is a hat trick. Four is a sombrero, five is a golden sombrero. And do you know what a six is, Jeff? I told you this story once you remember I went to a store. I went to a game in Kansas City one night where Sam Horn and the Orioles, and it's.
Speaker 1: A golden horn or the horn right right?
Speaker 2: He struck out six times. So after the game I went to Mike Flanning in of the Orioles, the late great Mike Flanning, and said, Flanning, all right, three's a hat trick. Four is sebrero. Five's a golden sabrera. What is a sixth? And he said, from now on six will be known as a horn?
Speaker 1: So, which is so perfect because hat trick, sombrero on your head, horn technically on your head. It could not have happened to a more perfect nurse.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for the next six strikeout game so I can call it what it should be, a horn. So James Wood has twenty five hat tricks this year. The major league record is twenty six, so he's got a month to break it. I know he doesn't want to. By Joe Gallo in twenty eighteen and Mark Reynolds in two thousand and nine. And I know I've told you about Mark Reynolds. Jeff one of my favorite players, went to the University of Virginia. Really smart guy. At two hundred and ninety nine career Homers was a great defensive third baseman, but he struck out a lot. And he told me once, I'm the holder of a lot of weird records out there. So he is currently the co leader in most patricks in a season for a hitter. Oh, by the way, that's the same Mark Reynolds. I was doing a story on how hard the game is to play. So he told me one night, he said, he said, my mom is like the greatest baseball fan in the world, and she really really understands what she's watching and she watches every game. So he said, she called me last night after a game I played and she said, how did you miss that two oh slider? That's what it's mother that he had to say, Mom, it's not that easy. So the career record Jeff for for hat tricks in a career is one hundred and seventy three by Adam Dunn. So Adam Dunn struck out three or more times in game one hundred and seventy three times, and that's in danger because active gian Carlos Stanton has struck out has patricks in one hundred and sixty five games and he's not done yet. He's got several more years to go. Just curious, Jeff. The hat trick, of course, is more of a hockey term. Wayne Gretzky, I have to look all this up, is the all time record holder for a season in hat tricks. What do you think? What do you think the record is for hat tricks in one season? That's three goals in one game by a hockey player.
Speaker 1: I would say like eight, eight or nine.
Speaker 2: Great guest, Yeah, yeah, So Gretzky is the record holder with ten, and he is the career record holder with fifty hat tricks. Wow, I told you I met. I met Wayne Gretzky at my dear friend Matt McCoy's house. This is thirty five years ago in la and Gretzky was playing for the Kings, and he and Matt McCoy actor friend who of course played in Seinfeld episode Lloyd Braun, and we went to high school together when we were the same year. So Matt invites me over.
Speaker 1: Dad, and he was in your wedding.
Speaker 2: Of course, let's get down.
Speaker 1: He didn't just go to high school. He was one of your one of the groovesmen.
Speaker 2: And he he says, come on over for dinner. Gretzky's coming over, so I think he's joking. But we're sitting getting ready to eat, and in walks Wayne Gretzky, and I'm thinking, and he introduces himself. Hi, I'm Wayne, Like, no kidding. I know nothing about hockey, but I know who you are, and I don't know anything about hockey, chef. But my favorite description of a hockey player is how the you know, like the Russian coach described Wayne Gretzky after he just undressed their team again. He said, with Gretzky, he goes, you see him, then he disappears, then there's a goal. Is that not perfect, Jeff?
Speaker 1: It's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's what again, great hockey players do. And that's what Gretzky could do. He was three steps, four passes ahead of everyone else. He could see the floor like nobody else, see the ice like nobody else, like a great point guard in baseball. He was a pretty good hockey player, eh he was. And he was a good baseball player. And Wayne Gretzky was an amazing athlete. Yes, okay, so your boy, Kyle Schwarber, we said on Tuesday, he went oh for twenty and then had a four homer game, and since the four homer game, at least through Tuesday, two for fifteen with eight strikeouts. So, Jeff, this is why baseball is so beautiful. In between, I mean, he had a four homer game, and on the outside of a four homer game, he went to for thirty five. It's just how baseball works. It's why it's so beautiful. You can be so great one night and then the rest of the time it's a struggle. Again, speaking to the degree of difficulty in the game. And the last one, Jeff, this came from Steve Sparks, our friend who does the Astros game on the radio, the brilliant, hilarious seamhead Steve Spark. So I just got a text overnight from him and all it said was thirty three one thirty three. So let's see if you can remember what that means.
Speaker 1: That was had to have been the crowd size of the game.
Speaker 2: Attendance at Tuesday night Yankees Astros game thirty three thousand, one hundred and thirty three. This is what seamheads Steve Sparks does. He looks and make sure he checks the attendants every night, just to see if there's fun to it. So it's a palindrome thirty three one thirty three, And I wrote back, I said, how many palindrome attendances have you had this year? He said at least three. But he's the only one paying attention to this. I love it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Dad, coming up next, I have two quark gens I'm going to try to spring on to you to see if they impress you at all. We're also going to do on this date in Baseball History featuring a special guest. So usually I mean always on this date it's about a certain player. We actually have that player who's going to join us, and from Azzie to Oral best of All Tim and a team Tim to wrap up the show. It's all coming up next. Back on is this a great game or what?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 1: Are you ready for my two argens?
Speaker 2: I love them, Spring them on me. They're great. All right?
Speaker 1: Do you want to hear about the homer that should not have been a homer? Or the matchup that I really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Let's hear the matchup first. If it's Carson Wentz, I'm already ahead of you.
Speaker 1: No, it's not Carson Wentz. It's actually Wednesday Nights Pitchers in the Rangers Diamondbacks game. I'm calling it the fire matchup because it's lighter against gallon. I get it, gallon of gas, a lighter like that kind of vibe.
Speaker 2: Yes, love it, love it. That's that's what. Yeah. Wednesday night, Jeff, way to go, we got some.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I got that one.
Speaker 2: Did you do that one or did you get it from that's yours? Now? I found that right, Jeff, You're I've corrupted you. This is great. You're thinking like me, which is not good.
Speaker 1: And then from my friend Jag John Gay, who is incredible. He actually runs his own podcast consulting company. So if anybody is doing a podcast like us and is looking to start or need some help, you can check them out John Gay or Jag do a Google search, it'll all pop up and it'll help you launch your first podcast. But he sent me an article from bro Bible. Trevor's story is breaking science with his bizarre home run dad in a six to four victory over the Cleveland Guardians this past Monday. It was his twenty third home run of the year. However, it genuinely is not a home run in all thirty ballparks, including the one that he hit it in right which is incredible, including the two minor league stadiums were playing in currently. So the way it works is he hit the ball ninety four point five miles per hour with a launch angle of forty two degrees. In most parks, that's a routine flyout. In fact, stat Cast says Dad that that around that area is you the batting averages point zero one zero of getting on base.
Speaker 2: And it was a home run right but it's it's right field at Fenway. It's the pesky pole, and right fielder had a little trouble with it. So I love it. I love it the home run that wasn't a home run but really was a home run.
Speaker 1: It was and you know, a story stopped at second thing you got a double John Kenzie Nowelle in right field had a little bit of trouble with the pesky pole. It's a pesky one, as you might imagine, and ultimately it became a home run and it shouldn't be a home run in all thirty parks.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was fascinated. Just like we said the other day, you hit a home run off a position player, it's a home run. A home run is a home run, and this whole thing hell would have only been a home run in what no other park? Would that have been a home or well, it doesn't matter. It wasn't hit in any other park. It was hit at Fenway Park, so it counts.
Speaker 1: That makes this game so much more beautiful. If you ask me, like, no, one's like, uh oh, we're playing at the garden. The three point line is so much further back. It's like, no, it's not. It's the same place.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of baseball. Nothing is the same. And that's all right. Cool.
Speaker 1: Let's jump into on this date in baseball history, we have a special guest rights.
Speaker 2: We got to talk about Mike Piazz's birthday. Born in nineteen sixty eight. Mike po for me, is one is the greatest hitting catcher of all time. We talk a lot about cal Raley, as we should, and you start looking for the greatest season ever by a catcher. Check out that nineteen ninety seven season by Mike Piazza. That was a joke, that's how great he was. Mel Didier drafted him for the Dodgers, and again he got drafted in like the sixty eighth round. Mel Didier was the scout that found him, and it was pretty much done as a favor to Mike Piazza's father, who was a friend of Tony of Tommy Lasorda. That's how Mike Piazza ended up getting signed to play pro ball and then developed into again the greatest hitting catcher that's ever been in my opinion. So Mel told me he called Mike Piazza on Christmas Day once, like as Mike was like nineteen years old starting his assent to the major leagues, and his dad said, he's not here, He's out in the backyard hitting in the cage on Christmas Day. I mean, that's what you gotta do. Jeff and Mike Patzi. I told you Jeff had unbelievably strong hands. His second to the last stop in his major league career was with the Padres, and they had to take a hand strength test to determine how strong your hand is, and Mike Piazza like broke the club record by a mile at his Bruce Bochi then the Padres manager told me it was like Herman Munster was on our team, which, right, anytime you can get Herman Munster into our podcast, I'm in the most underrated sitcom character of all time. Boy, he made me laugh all those years. So happy birthday to Mike Piazza.
Speaker 1: I did a quick look into the NL MVP voting for that year. Dad, you're talking about nineteen ninety seven, Mike Piazza. He actually batted three sixty two, which just like that number doesn't even compute in twenty twenty five. But I'm like, how does he not win the MVP? And of course I pull it up Larry Walker. I had forty nine home runs. It's just kind of an unbelieve one hundred and thirty RBIs thirty three stolen bases. I heck of a year. So I mean it makes sense. But boyle boy, is that sad to see not see him win the MVP. But we could see an amazing year from a catcher this year and cal Rally could be really really great.
Speaker 2: Right Okay? And on this day, Jeff, in nineteen ninety three, Jim Abbott pitched a no hitter against then the Cleveland Indians, and we have Jim Abbott talking about that right now.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for remembering that date. Tim. That's a that was a while back. But you know, I tell you, it's a really special date for me. I it was a Saturday morning. I woke up, went to the ballpark, Yankee Stadium. I hadn't had an incredible year that year with the Yankees. There was a little bit of frustration, I think on everybody's side, and that day changed my life. It really, it really did. And I you know that twenty seventh out, the connection with the Yankees organization, the connection with the city of New York, even, it just turned out to be a magical thing in my life.
Speaker 2: Jim, when Matt Noakes ran to the mound to hug you that day, you you looked at him and I can't read your lips. What did you say? How about that? What do you remember what you said when Matt Noakes ran to hug you on the mound?
Speaker 3: I do remember, only because I watched it recently with our with our friend Jeremy. Sure, but I said, how about that, baby, Yeah, something something along those lines.
Speaker 2: I think your previous start against the Indians, you got you got Clawbard, is that right? And then you threw a no hitter against them? Explain the mindset between these guys. Crushed me the last time out, and then you threw a no hitter.
Speaker 3: That's why anything can happen to McKinley, you know, because a lot of my teammates were not expecting a no hitter that next time out, and it was, you know, it was to him, it was. It was a low point. I really struggled against the Indians. They were a good up and coming team, you know, up and down. That lineup was very strong, and I pitched against them in Cleveland and nothing went right. I didn't didn't pitch well. Every ground ball seemed to find a hole, and all of a sudden, I don't remember the statistics, but I don't didn't last long that day, and I was really frustrated. I was really frustrated. I was down. I'd been traded from the Angels, which was really kind of my baseball home. I felt like I was letting the Yankee organization and down a little bit, and I went running. I left the stadium, like you're not supposed to do that, and I put on my running clothes and I left the stadium and we won the game. I came back Buck Show Walter wasn't too happy with me for leaving the stadium, and you know, the next outing there was you know, there was a to talk about how poorly I had pitched in August, and you know what I was I going to be able to hold my place in the rotation even And so that day I went to the stadium weirdly, a little bit looser, like the worst had happened, Like like I had. I felt like it. I'm not gonna say rock bottom, but it felt like I had kind of bounced off the bottom a little bit, and like, what what more could go wrong? And I had Matt Noakes behind the plate that day, and you have a great memory for that. He was enthusiastic, you know, positive guy, and we came up with a great, great game plan and you know, things just kind of went our way that day. Hard hit balls were at somebody and that trust finally, you know, started to come back, and the ball came out of my hand better as the game went on. And so anything can have. You know, what happens in your last outing does not dictate what happens the next time out.
Speaker 1: So that's it's just a clip of us chatting with Jim Abbott about that incredible day back thirty two years ago.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I was roughly four weeks old at that time, because I was born August ninth, nineteen ninety three. But we're excited to announce that Jim Abbott is going to be our guest next week on the podcast, so you'll get the full interview for next week, right.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for that because Jim Abbott is one of the most inspirational players we've ever seen, an amazing man, one of the kindest people I've ever met. And we will talk at length with Jim Abbott next week. And the last one Jeff twenty nineteen Michael Lorenzen, pitcher who pitched a no hitter that you and your wife Emily watched as she was giving birth to McKinley Hope. You know, two years ago that date, on this date in twenty nineteen, Michael Lorenzen hit a home run, he got the victory as a pitcher, and he played center field, all in the same game. And the only other person that has ever done that was Babe Ruth in nineteen twenty one and Michael Lorenzo. Somebody made a real baseball card with two pictures on it, Babe Ruth and Michael Lorenzen as a tribute to that day and that event. At all the things he did and he looked at me, and he says, can it Can anything be better than having your own baseball card with only you and Babe Ruth on it? So cool?
Speaker 1: It's insane, all right, Dad, Let's jump in from Ozzy to Oral. We're counting down the best players at each number, from Ozzie Smith at one to Oral Herscheizer at fifty five. We are on number forty two, which I imagine is a pretty obvious one, but also difficult.
Speaker 2: It's difficult because Mariano Rivera is the greatest closer of all time. There is not a close second. He is the only unanimous Hall of Fame choice. So let's be clear that Marianno Rivera may this difficult, but Jackie Robinson has to be number forty two a because of what he did breaking the color barrier nineteen forty seven. And he was also a great player Jeff Rookie of the Year MVP played first base but mostly was a second baseman and was a great second baseman. Dave Anderson, the great columnists we used to work for the New York Times, once wrote that Jackie Robinson could beat you in more ways than any player in Major League history, and as far as athletes go Jeff. You know he played, was a great running back at UCLA. He was an All Pack ten basketball player. He was a great tennis player, a great golfer, and one of the best baseball players of all time. That's who number forty two, Jackie Robinson. Is not to mention how he paved the way. I mean, Frank Robinson told me once of Jackie Robinson. He said, the lesson that Jackie Robinson taught all of us about hatred and inclusion and how you get back at them for what they say to you is to go out there and beat them on the field, which is what he did and what Frank Robinson did, and what Hank Aaron did, and what so many others did. Jackie Robinson taught them how to do that. And that's why he's the greatest number forty two, because he's the most important player in the history of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: Number forty three. Who's the best player.
Speaker 2: To wear that odd number? But I've got Dennis Acresley Hall of Fame closer absolutely dominant in his days Jeff nineteen eighty nine ninety Those two seasons combined, he had eighty one saves. Try to follow this Jeff, he had eighty one saves and eighty base runners allowed for a two year period. He walked a total of seven guys in a two year period and gave up a total of eighty base runners and had eighty one saves. He told me after the ninety season, he goes, if anyone ever does that again, I'll kiss your ass, which that's not necessary here, Ack, but his point was well made. No one's ever going to do anything quite like that again. Is He was one of the greats ever and one of the funniest people I've ever met, one of the most honest people. Always faced Music famously gave up the home run to Kirk Gibson in the eighty nine World Series that turned that World Series around. And as I've told you, Jeff, it's the first time I had ever heard the term walk off homer, and it came from Dennis Secrets League. Maybe a lot of other people had heard it. I had never heard it. I was in the scrum after the game and he said, well, the guy had a walk off homer. So I said to Eck, I said, what do you mean. He goes, well, he hit a home run and everyone walked off the field. So that's the first time I'd ever heard it after one of the most famous home runs in baseball history. I also love this. Jeff Debti Secresy picked off Kenny Williams, who was with I believe the Blue Jays time not important three and then he went three and a half years without picking off anybody. And then the next guy he picked off was Kenny Williams. How great is that? So perfect? Right? Only only in baseball can something that strange happened, and it happened to Dennis Eckersley and Kenny Williams.
Speaker 1: The best of all tim Each week on Thursday's episodes, we give you the best player at every single franchise in history of that franchise. And today, Dad, you're doing the Expos slash Nationals franchise.
Speaker 2: Who you going to? And this was difficult too, because you got Andre Dawson, you got Tim Rains from Montreal Days, and a bunch of others from National Days. Of course, Bryce Harper was amazing. Greatest national of all time for me is Ryan Zimmerman. But I'm going with Gary Carter, who was an amazing player for over ten years with the Expos. He kind of put them on the map. When they brought him up, that's when they started to get pretty darn good. He's one of the Hall of Fame catcher, one of the great catchers ever. I mean, people compare him. He's he was as good as Bill Dickie, people will tell you, and Bill Dickie is one of the great great Yankee catchers of all time. Nobody presented himself better than Gary Carter, big, strong, athletic. Love Gary Carter in every way. And this is for Doug Anderson, one of our listeners who met Gary Carter and met his family and just was absolutely touched by the whole experience. So Doug, this is for you. This is why we chose the Expos Nationals this week so we could do a little shout out to the great Gary Carter. And by the way, when Gary Carter was in the minor leagues, Barry Foot was the catcher. Foote was the catcher for the Expos and cal McLish, who was the pitching coach, used to say to Barry Foot, who was the everyday catcher for the Expos, You would say to him, you know, the kid hit two home runs last night talking about Gary Carter, and the next day come in and go. You know, the kid had two hits last night and threw out a runner. That's how Gary Carter got the nickname the kid is that cal McLeish, the pitching coach for the Expos, would warn Barry Foot every day, like the young guy is on his way. You better pick up your game no matter what. So in honor of Barry Foot, we have, let's see if you can guess fairly obvious, the all body Parts All body Parts team. And there are some stretches here as always Jeff, but Barry Foot is the catcher Corey Hart. We're playing at first base, and the second basement is chin lung who that's chi n hyphen l u n G. So we have two body parts. We have a chin and we have a lung. And who's spells his lame hu. But when he reached base as a member of the Dodgers, Vince Scully said, I can now finally say who is on first?
Speaker 1: Was on first?
Speaker 2: We love right? Okay. Third baseman is Dave Brain real name. He's on the All Smart team, but he's also on the All Bardi Part team. I needed a couple of nicknames because I love nicknames. These are two of the best Leo the lip durocher is our shortstop Walt no Neck Williams, who I grew up watching. Waul Williams didn't have a deck. It's like they put his head on top of his shoulders. He was a really good player and really fun to watch. Shin Sue Chew that's s h I N. So we have a chin and a shin. Sue Chew is one outfielder. Jared Head is another outfielder, h e A. D Our pitchers are Bill Hands, who missed pitching to Barry Foot by like two years. The overlap is Jeff Seriously, how good would that have been? Bill Hands pitching to Barry Foot?
Speaker 1: We just miss We would have been even better if there was a pitcher catcher combination of Brad Hand currently pitching a major league baseball hand and foot right hand pitches to foot right.
Speaker 2: I think that would be even better. It'd be great. So we have Bill Hands as one of our pitcher rich Hand singular but it's not Hands can't use the same name twice. And of course our Hall of Fame closer Raleigh Fingers. So that is the all body parts team, and I just love that. Our listeners and our viewers love this part of the show. It's now a challenge for me to come up with one for not just every Tuesday, but every Thursday.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 2: I've had more stretches of Willie McCovey here. But we're trying, Jeff.
Speaker 1: We are trying.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: You can always submit one great game or what dot com if you want to chey, I'm in there. You can do so. We love hearing from you, and I know my dad has really loved being able to respond to your messages now that we figured all that out, so great gamer dot com. As we mentioned earlier next week on the show, Jim Abbott is going to be joining us. I'm so excited for that, Dad, and that's coming up next week. Dad, enjoy your weekend.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jeff, see you soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. It is always thanks for being a part of our family.