Speaker 1: LinkedIn News. I mean, I've always been a hustle queen. Like I remember even in elementary school. I was like going to the school store buying your racers notepads and then flipping them. Oh my god, like, yeah, you could buy it for a dollar there, but I'm gonna charge your dollar.
Speaker 2: An entrepreneur from day one, because.
Speaker 1: I would stand outside classrooms and I'd be like, oh, you got your notepad here?
Speaker 2: You always that kid. Everyone had that kid that was me.
Speaker 1: Baby. Thank God I didn't turn to a life of crime.
Speaker 2: But from LinkedIn News and i Heeart Podcasts, this is Let's Talk offline, a show about what it takes to thrive in the early years of your career without sacrificing your values, sanity or sleep. I'm Gianna Prudenti.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jamay Jackson Gadston. Listen, y'all. Gen Z came out the womb hustling. There's always been this talk about young people and how people are lazy, y'all don't want to work. But the truth is that nearly half of the young workers are balancing that nine to five with their side gig, whether it's them building businesses or even just creating content online. It's really admirable how y'all are out here a hustling. You are pursuing those passion projects, and most importantly to big Auntie Jamai, you are diversifying those income treas.
Speaker 2: Ooh, yes, it's so true. Side hustles really can like lay the foundation for a full time career. But obviously that doesn't happen overnight. It can be a long, rocky, rocky road which starts with figuring out what do you even want your side hustle to be and how do you eventually turn it into the main thing. We're gonna talk through the ups and downs of managing a side hustle and what you can do to make that journey just a bit easier.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, so today we are talking all about side hustles, which is actually one of my favorite topics. We're gonna be talking about how to manage them alongside your full time job and possible how to turn it into that full time career. Okay, your side hustle doesn't have to be the side chick anymore. She could be the main squeeze.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys have heard this, but gen Z's allegedly been called the side hustle generation Gianna in your reporting, What have you seen or found that supports or denies that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely been the narrative for the past like year or so, maybe the last two years, that gen Z is openly embracing side hustles, And I do think it's true. I think with any you know, headline like that, it's a bit of a generalization, you know, to be transparent, like, I don't have a side hustle, you know, hustle that we need. Do I've been thinking about one and I'll share more about that, But yeah, I think in general, like we've been called the side hustle generation because we've been approaching work differently, just based on the time that we enter the workforce. And I think something that a lot of gen Zers really believe is in the importance of having more of a portfolio career, right, Like, we don't expect to get one hundred percent from our nine to five jobs, so we're pursuing our passions and interests elsewhere, whether that be you know, creating content online or actually having a side business and selling something. So we're finding fulfillment through different avenues rather than just relying on our nine to five job to do that. I like that, yeah, And another reason is side hustles allow us to diversify our our income. Right. So we saw over the last few years with mass layoffs that employers can kind of just drop you on a dime. It's a sad reality of maybe a worker loyalty now, yeah, and it's totally made us question company loyalty.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I think it's a way to have financial security in a time where there is no stability, and side hustles are a way for us to you know, not only make more money, but also diversify our income streams just in case something does happen. And then I think, ultimately, like gen Z, being called a side hustle generation just comes down to us not wanting to be boxed in by our jobs and wanting to have one single identity. So a lot of people do have side hustles. Some don't, like myself, but I haven't thinking like should I turn my baking into a side business. But I'm like, if I make money off of something I get so much passion out of, will it lose the sparkle?
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's the challenge. Yeah, because once you actually start having to create structure and the thing that you just naturally love to do. It can make you kind of fall out of.
Speaker 2: Love despite how much I love structure.
Speaker 1: But there's like something different about But what I will say is there is a benefit to having a side hustle while also having like a full time something else. You are not obligated to have to make a certain amount in order to hit your quota or pay your rent. So I would say, you know, maybe dip your tone. I want to eat some cookies or something.
Speaker 2: Well, I won't make you pay for them.
Speaker 1: Charging.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering for you, how did you even get started with your side hustles?
Speaker 1: Like how did that even? Yeah, I mean I've always been a hustle queen. Like I remember even in elementary school. I was like going to the school store buying your racers notepads and then flipping them God like, yeah, you could buy it for a dollar there, but I'm gonna charge your dollars. An entrepreneur from day one, because I would stand outside classrooms and I'd be like, oh, you got your notepad here?
Speaker 2: You always that kid? Everyone had that kid that was baby.
Speaker 1: Thank God I didn't turn to a life of crime. But I've always had a very entrepreneurial spirit. My dad is a business owner, and he was very like, you got to go out here and you got to make your own luck. And I've always loved that drive for me. Though, a lot of what you mentioned about why gen Z finds side hustles enticing is exactly why I fell into it. So back in the day, my side hustle was all things content creation. I would create video, I would create blog posts. I was girl always selling sponsored ads on my website. I was making that money, okay, And so a lot of it was like in the content creation, especially like written so like blogging, writing for out reputable outlets, et cetera. But now I do a lot more in the entertainment space, so acting, working and maybe consulting with brands on how they can speak to marginalized communities. So the side hustle has changed a little bit. But what thing has not changed. I had to do all of this because I had to pay rent. And when I moved to New York, in particular, I was like, this job I have as a contractor is not going to pay my bills. And so I always knew how to put my foot in different things, whether that was bartending or waitressing, all the way to you know, writing for other outlets, which is how honestly, I got a lot of my bylines in the beginning part of my career, so everything always paid off, and then for me, I just sort of found that to your point, content creation was just something that I naturally loved. But honestly, what you mentioned about having like a separation of work and state from your job, I think is really key, because yeah, when you don't have anything else to do, work can become your life. And I'm not saying that that's always a bad thing. Some people really find meaning in their identity at work, but I think that it's always nice to have something else, just to be on the safe side. I have seen friends get laid off. I myself have already survived for layoffs in my career so and been impacted by one, so I know what it's like to feel like the rug is being pulled from underneath you. I don't ever want to feel that way. Another thing that I think is really important about side hustles, which is why I always said it's good to have something else, is it's building network and community whether it is something completely related to what you want to do, or it's something that you just tend to be good at that you really don't want to become a full time career. It's helping you get out there, build connections with other people, and ultimately that network and those connections are who's going to look out for you when you're looking for a new job, when you're looking for your next opportunity, who are going to advocate for you when you're building this online digital presence. So I don't know if you guys gonna tell it not, but Jim is fully one invested in side hustles. The only thing is it can get super tricky when you're trying to juggle those and your nine to five time management is the most important thing. And when you take on a little bit more than you can chew, you will end up burning the candle from both ends, right Because for me, I was like, Okay, I know what hours I'm working my nine to five, but then I also had a ton of hours both before and after work that I was pouring into my side hustles, and including weekends nights. I always say that I gave up my twenties and I hustled so that I could kind of relax a little in my thirties. So looking back on it, there were a lot of things that I missed out on weddings, birthdays, trips, and some of that I do look back and I'm like, uh, you know, Jamay, you could have probably pushed your deadline back to your editor and done this. But at the same time, I do think that it's positioned me in a way that I can benefit from the fruits of that labor. So I think, like everyone has to sort of evaluate, But what I think we don't need to evaluate is if Geohn needs a side hustle, make some cookies on it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, does that mean I have to do taxes? Because I know absolutely I want to get more into the balancing piece. But I do just want to clarify. I think with side hustles it can be a bit confusing because there also has been a narrative of gen Z working multiple jobs, and I think that is separate from side hustles. Like you mentioned you were bartending. All that like working multiple jobs a lot of times is financially motivated right to make ends meet, where a side hustle really is something that allows you to be a bit more creative, and it's something that allows you to pursue kind of a passion or a purpose outside of your nine to five, which in your case was freelance writing while you were working your nine to five jobs. So I'm wondering when you were doing that, was there any I don't know, if you want to get into this, Oh gosh, were there any times where it was like conflict of interest or like frowned upon for you to be doing that, because I think that's a lot of the hesitation is Well, my company find out and we know that some employers are like, you can't have side hustles where some who if you know, if you're an employer and you want to retain gen Z talent, except side hustles, So you know, some some do, some don't. So I'm wondering did you ever receive pushback and how did you navigate that?
Speaker 1: Yes, I have always always had to disclose and advance what the things that I'm working on to create visibility as to what that can look like. I would definitely say in the beginning part of my career, especially as a journalist, you are supposed to to some degree be an extension of the brand that you write for. Right, It's the blessing and sometimes the curse of being a journalist. Your personal identity does not matter as much as the corporate identity in which you add. I never liked that because at the end of the day, I have a personality and I also believe that I could build my own personal community of people who then become enticed by the professional identity that we offered. I would say that now over the last couple of years, it's been a little eas right. I think like as more people are speaking about the creator economy, as more people are coming in very bullish saying I'm not giving this up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I have had to walk away from opportunities before because I was like, if you won't let me still be able to, you know, fuel the flame of this thing that brings me passion, then I have to evaluate. I've always been willing to bet on myself, and I think that the challenge is the older you get, the more uh what's the word risk averse? Yes, you don't want to make as many risks, like maybe I got dogs, if feed they like snacks.
Speaker 2: And they're hustling.
Speaker 1: They are hustling, right, I imagine my dog being like, oh, so you can just sit on the couch, right, she was like, ah, I'm paid for the premium treats. But you do get a little bit more risk adverse, I think as you start adding in different elements. And so I would say when you're young, Oh, that's when you really got to just like throw caution to the wind to some degree. Right, Like, obviously take into account your particular situation and what that can look like. But I always have believed that if you take the bet on yourself, you will.
Speaker 2: And so how do you know when it's time to take that leap of faith and turn your side hustle into a full time job. We're talking with career coach Jauline Dulnay about how to grow your business and follow your entrepreneurial spirit. Ooh that's next.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, So we are back. We are talking all about side hustles today, which, oh god, I love this topic. But it's not just about me and Gianna talking about it. We needed to bring an expert, someone who has lived walked these miles in her beautiful, delicious shoes. Gianna, who do we have this week?
Speaker 2: Okay? I am so excited. We're bringing my friend Jeline Dulnay, who is the founder of The Postgrad Playbook, a media organization that helps guide new grads on how to release mindset blocks and go after their professional goals. She was in New Grads Shoe. It was not too long ago. Jelline graduated college in twenty nineteen and pursued a career in sales, but she always had an entrepreneurial spirit, so she started creating personal development content on the side, and ultimately that became her nine to five job. Jelline, welcome to the show. Hi, We're so excited.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to be here also, and that was an amazing intro. I'm so excited that, like I just want to sing like jelly Jellye.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So let's lay the ground out for our listeners before we even begin, and we get into our listener question of the week. Talk us through how your coaching business even came to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was a windy journey a little bit. Like Gianna mentioned, I started creating personal development and career cared related content back in twenty twenty and people were resonating because I tailored it around the postgrad experience. A lot of times right when you graduated college, especially twenty twenty grads, there was this sense of loneliness, like loss of connection. A lot of people didn't get to walk the stage, and now you're sort of thrust into adulthood and it's like what do I do now? So I was sort of in this period as well, so I was reading a lot of personal development and career related things and sharing them online. Over time, that audience grew and I branched out into other platforms. Like Jihanna mentioned, I worked in corporate sales and a big part of that was social selling and social selling specifically on LinkedIn. So what I would do is I would post a lot of my thoughts and my insights and eventually started to grow a following there to not only build my personal brand but also generate leads. And I think the most rewarding part of that whole process was people saying, oh, this really helps me. So it led to speaking engagements and ways to help people. But I found that there was sort of like a one on one gap, so I felt like it naturally segued into coaching since I was all aready sharing, so much of this information on a broad platform in a media format. And you know, I was able to get my coaching certifications that was really honed in on the personal development piece so that I can support the career piece, and eventually that became my full time thing.
Speaker 2: So how did you make that transition from your career in sales to going full time on content creation.
Speaker 4: It didn't happen the way that I expected it to. I worked in tech, and I worked in sales, and anyone who works corporate knows that sales teams are the first ones to go. In twenty twenty three, I remember at one point there were ninety thousand tech layoffs. So my team and I we were looking left and right. We're like, oh gosh, I hope we're not next. But one day, on a random Wednesday, we all got the laid off message. So by then I'd been creating content for some time. I had some really good indicators. I had signed up for my coaching certification the week prior, so I felt like God was telling me, okay, you into your next chapter. And I'd also been preparing mentally for what do I want to do next. It's also really important to note that working in sales it's a grind, you know, you were constantly putting in a lot of effort. So after working in sales for so many years, in my first post grad job and my second, I got to the point where I was a little bit burnt out, and so I said to myself, you know, in conjuncture with everything else that was happening, I want to be able to give so much of that energy that I was giving my nine to five back to myself and let's see what I can do.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I want to bring up one of our listener questions next. This is our segment Dear Work Bestie, where we answer your questions. This week's comes from Luisa in New York.
Speaker 3: Something that I'm really curious about and would love your input on is how I can best balance my passion projects with my day job without compromising the quality of my work in each area.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's a really good question because balance seeing that side gig with your nine to five job is definitely a turkey. So when you were in that position, working your corporate sales job and also creating content on the side, how did you find balance And what's your advice to someone like Luisa who doesn't want to, you know, compromise the quality.
Speaker 1: Of her work.
Speaker 4: So what I did is I took stock of when I was the most creative and how to start my day. So that meant waking up a little bit earlier, because I'm my most creative and I have my best ideas in the morning. So the first thing that I would do in the morning after my morning routine is get my content ready, or start to get my ideas ready, or write start to write a new blog post. So maybe if it's for an hour or two before work, I know that can be a lot, or you can split it to an hour before work an hour after work. You can sort of start to fall into a pattern and routine. Also, I would say that it is easier if you schedule and plan over the course of a week. So let's say you are someone who's a graphic designer, right, and then you want to have more clients. Maybe some days you are specifically pitching, some days you're specifically working on the graphic design, and so on. So that way it's not like, oh, everything's so up in the air, I have no schedule, I have no routine. Things feel out of my hands. It's like you're structuring every single day, and that way, you know your brain is able to go through a task a lot faster, because when you're jumping from task to task to task, it slows down your productivity.
Speaker 2: I feel like my whole Like for You page is like my five to nine before nine to five, or my five to nine after my nine to five. It's really about like finding the time that works best for you. And I love that you like took an audit of when you were most creative and allocated you know that work to those periods.
Speaker 1: I agree. So you were in Louisa's position at one point, and you've talked about how you know you made the decision to go all in in your side hustle. But one thing that I constantly hear from people is is this the right time? What are your thoughts? Is there ever really a perfect time for one to hop into entrepreneurship or is this sort of like a baby, I'm a jump and let the net appear hopefully.
Speaker 2: That's terrifying.
Speaker 1: Are we just shooting shooting out and just hoping for the best.
Speaker 4: Oh god, Oh no, I don't think that there's ever a right time to really jump in. I was listening to a podcast called Balanced Black Girl, and the founder Les was talking about what happened when she wanted to go into full time entrepreneurship and do her podcast full time, and she was saying that someone advised her that there will never be a right time, but you'll know when it is the right time. And I completely one resonate with that sentiment. For me, the time was chosen for me.
Speaker 1: I wanted to.
Speaker 4: I wanted to, eventually, like you know, be the person who says, you know what today's going to be the day I quit my nine to five and I'm pursuing the post grad playbook and everything that I've built myself. But sometimes it's chosen for you and you might not feel it's the right time. But like you are saying, Jamat, it's like you jump and then the net appears. I think that one thing that you can do is just have that insurmountable faith in yourself. I don't think that there really is any one hundred percent perfect time, but I think you'll know in your gut and in your intuition when the time will be.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned the decision was kind of Maine for you to go full time on the postcrab playbook. But for somebody who you know has the decision to leave their nine to five job and go all in on their side hustle, how should they even go about navigating that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Is there an action plan they should have in place before deciding to go all in?
Speaker 4: Yes, there are definitely a couple of things that you should have first. The main reason why so many people don't want to jump ship finances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, finances.
Speaker 4: You do not want to jump without any kind of financial plan, So make sure you know you have your finances in check. I know that a lot of gurus recommend having an emergency fund, so you can have an emergency fund. I personally had a goal of your dream fund outside thank You, because I wanted to give myself that opportunity. So I personally set aside a specific amount of savings for myself to be able to pursue this opportunity. Think about your projections, you know, so, if you're making a certain amount of money in your business month over month, do you have the demand of clients coming in or opportunities coming in that if your corporate job wasn't there anymore, you'd be able to take on more work and then it supplements your needs and lifestyles, and also of course account for taxes and things like that. I'm not a financial advisor, but check with an accountant, right. I would also say having a clear business plan of what you want to do, So who's your company going to serve, what is the competitive analysis, what's the projections of how your industry is growing over the next year, has it been trending up? So having some sort of tangible evidence that you are going to be okay and that there is opportunity available for you is super important. I would also say you need to have a network and a community of people that are going to support you through this transition. This is one of the hardest transitions that you can make because there is some level of a big what if in financial quote unquote insecurity. I don't want to say it's completely insecure, but you are betting on yourself one hundred percent. If you don't have a supportive network and group of people around you saying that you can do it, you're going to want to go back. And trust me, no matter what, You're probably going to have thoughts that you want to go back. I've had thoughts that I wanted to go back, but I stuck it out. I had a great support system also having multiple streams of income, So figuring out ways that you can grow with scale and expand the business because without a doubt, you probably will have to pivot at some point. So you don't want to just have Plan A. Probably have Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, and so on. But work is hard. You can to make sure that Plan A is what works out.
Speaker 2: I'm curious when you were starting your business, were there any resources that you utilize to, you know, figure out what you were doing? Like I can only imagine, like you have to file taxes for the first time, maybe by yourself, so how did you even navigate all of that, and like were there specific mentors that you relied on? Specific resources?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, this is like the number one best resource that I ever came across. It's called score Score. It's one hundred percent free, and it's for new business owners, so it's completely free business mentorship. Like everyone sign up for it right now, and basically what they do is they will pair you with a senior executive or an industry leader for free that will help you grow and scale your business and provide executive level advice. So let's say you have this idea, they'll really poke holes to your idea so that it gets to the point where it's bulletproof, and they'll be like, okay, so what have you done for your taxes? Do you have an accountant? Do you have a lawyer? These are the things that you need to do. So personally, in my experience, I got paired with an executive ex executive memorial and she was a marketing leader and so she helps me through a lot of the things that I'm doing with my business and helps put me up for opportunities as well. She's amazing. And if you do have other aspirations, let's say you are looking for someone who's going to help you SEO optimize your website. They have a whole network of mentors so they can cross mentor you so they'll pair you with someone who will teach you how to SEO optimize your website so that way you can get more leads. So that's the first one I think. Another resource that I used is YouTube University. There's so much information on there about what you can do and people who are very good sharing a lot of expert level information. Oh last thing, let people know what you're doing. A lot of times we do want to build in private, and we might be a little bit shy about what you're doing. If people can help you, if they know what you're doing, So be loud about yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh, but it's so embarrassing.
Speaker 2: No it's not.
Speaker 4: It's only embarrassing if you let it be embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Oh, I feel so cringe when you post things that it's like, oh, I didn't get this or this didn't go right. But yes, you're right. There's a community element and I love that. A lot of the tips that you share talk all about how you are building community. But also you don't have to go for broke in order to get that access, like the same way you vet if someone is credible or professional or if they're sharing good information. There are a lot of people out there who are doing that, and so I really appreciate you for sharing that.
Speaker 2: I have a few last questions to ask you about, you know, like looking back on your journey now. Two questions. One is like, what's the biggest lesson you've learned through all of that? And then is there something you wish you knew when starting out that you want to share with people? Who are considering a similar path.
Speaker 4: I think the number one thing that I learned is you have to have an unshakable faith in yourself. The amount that you believe in yourself is exactly how much you're going to be able to accomplish. Having that confidence in yourself and what you're selling and your own sense of worthiness is going to be the absolute game changer. Not to sound like a Disney Channel movie, although we wouldn't be mad about that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they had some good lessons in there. Okay, but yeah, I think believing in yourself and working on those limiting beliefs if you do have any, because if you do have any, because I promise they will come up at every single level of success.
Speaker 1: And secondly, I will say.
Speaker 4: That work on your wellness and have those boundaries around your life and your work, like make sure you're still making time with your friends and your family and to do the things that you love. Because when you have a side hustle, that's your hobby, that's what you just love to do, that's your escape. But when that escape becomes your full time job, it takes on a different place in your life. So make sure that you're refilling that first cup, so that way you can still have that joy and you're not burnt out from your passion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talking about believing in yourself and even acknowledging what I guess can also be considered imposter syndrome to some degree is so important because I often think about, like, if you don't know who you are, or if you don't know the gifts that you bring when you go on to social media and you see this person your age pop in bottles in Miami on the yacht and you're like, wait, what am I doing here? Like social media can easily make you feel so small, and so you knowing who you are and knowing how to pour back into yourself, but also knowing that you are the sugar honey iced tea and you to the life at a party, you are the girl when you walk in us in there like that is going to help combat some of those limiting beliefs that can creep in. So I really appreciate you saying that because I think we all go through it at every stage of our careers. You know. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Also I want to say before we let you go that if you guys are listening to this, it follows Jelline on Instagram LinkedIn all the things because the work you do to help people overcome those limiting beliefs. I mean, I was in like a workshop of yours at one point, I think is incredible. So if you're looking to kind of make this big transition in your life, you are definitely a resource to everyone. So give her a follow, and I appreciate you coming on the pod. This is so much fun. I feel we could talk to you for like literally.
Speaker 1: Hours about that. I want to know, like write down notes. I'm like, sure, I'm writing down now. I need to enroll into class. Girl, Okay, I haven't been postgrad in a while, but I'll be postgrad for you.
Speaker 2: This was so much fun. We really appreciate you sharing all these insights with us. I know so many people are gonna gain so much from this.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me, Jamy and Gianna like, this was just the best time it went. It felt like five minutes. I don't know how that went by so fast. I could talk to you for hours. As a certified yapper, I could. But it's fine.
Speaker 1: If you already couldn't tell. We love Charlie and she's just one of the many many young business owners out there hustling and thriving coming up. How do you feel about sending voice memos? Convenient, annoying? That's next.
Speaker 2: I'm sad she's gone. I loved that.
Speaker 1: I am obsessed.
Speaker 2: So she's the best. No, she's the best. Okay. So a few things that are sticking with me from that conversation that Jeannine mentioned is when you are making taking that leap of faith, because it really is going from a side hustle to making it the you know, the real thing the nine to five is you really have to support yourself with a support system, right, So you mentioned before part of why you've enjoyed your side hustles is because it's allowed you to expand your network and then you then have to lean on those people when you are making this big decision to form your business or you know, go into content creation full time. So I love that she mentioned that, And I also thought it was funny when she mentioned having a backup plan, to the backup plan, to the backup land, which is so me because I feel like if I was ever making that leap, you know, the anxiety would be through the roof. So I don't even think you need like three backup plans, but really to say, Okay, this doesn't go Plan A, then what is my plan being because there are going to be hiccups.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. One thing that can really help with that is creating a business plan. Once you really want to do this, sit down and really start mapping out what you want that business to look like. Because everything you're doing, whether it's comparing your competitors to how you want to see yourself in the market, it's going to set you up for success. And I feel like it gives the girlies a little bit more structure. And then the last thing I will say that really stuck with me, because I am a woman of faith, is that you have to have an unshakable sense of faith in this. Okay. Now, whether it's about you believing in a different power or you even just believing in yourself. There are going to be a lot of good days, but there are also going to be a ton of bad days. Your job is to survive the bad days. And I love that she gave that as an actionable takeaway because I think that if you can conquer those limiting beliefs, you got to tell yourself that you already are the sugar honey iced tea. You gotta look yourself in a mirror and say that you are that girl. Yeah, And I know a lot of people are like but I don't feel confident yet.
Speaker 2: Fake itaake it, so you make it. Maybe I love that. Okay, I think it's time we do some cringe or cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I love grinder cool. So if this is your first time tuning in, y'all, cringe are cool is when Gianna and I introduce a topic of the week and we get to discuss is it cool or is it a little cringe? And I mean honestly, like we've we've been pretty a line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sometimes we're cringing.
Speaker 1: I think I think we're hard cringing. So, Giana, what's the topic this week?
Speaker 2: All right? Today we're talking about sending voice memos and set a text messages. And I'm going to tell you something. I am so here for this again. That's let us know. No, okay, this is my thing, which I don't know if I'm subjecting my friends and family to this and if I am, guys letting you know. But I can't string a thought together at the end of the day, especially I type all day. I write all day, like I can't text you. If you need me, call me. And if I'm going to message you, and it's like three, I'm most likely sending you a voice memo. Also like there's nothing like just catching up with the girls over the weekend with voice memos, like sending what happened? I'm so here for it.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think that when I send large chunks of text messages, it naturally gives me anxiety, and I know it for a fact it gives other people anxiety. But when I send a nice voice memo, you can hear it in my voice, like if I'm happy or if I'm sad. I also cannot string a thought to save my life. I very much so have the attention of a squirrel. So like I'm always thinking of things in the moment as So that's kind of the challenge, right because with the voice brain dumb. Though, here's the problem that's me. I'm not going down my philosophical bag. I'm gonna be like, okay, I'm you know, I'm sending Gianna a voice memo about this project. But then also, oh my god, Gianna, but then I saw gossip Girl this weekend. But then also do this on my end.
Speaker 2: Being like, here are the bullet points I need to hit my response.
Speaker 1: Honestly, the best thing that ever happened was for them to give transcripts to voice memos, because who was keeping up?
Speaker 2: I mean, it was it's homework. Sometimes it's homework. Like if you're sending me a four minute voice memo, now it's homework, which I will, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I've definitely hit the limits of voice memos before, and I kept talking because I didn't know I hit the limit. Where do you think it could ever be cringe? Because I definitely have an idea.
Speaker 2: Well, I do think it's cringe if it's just a brain dump, Like yeah, I'm not your therapist, I do love you so much, but like you know, keep it tight, yeah, keep it quick. And I think we're also can get cringe if you're expecting a voice memo in return, like some people are not voice memo girlies, and that's totally fine. So I think if you send it out there, like I've definitely sent it to people on the team who I would not ever expect it to send one back, and I'm like, hey, just like you know, I give context around the voice memo because when you first get one, you're like, what is this?
Speaker 1: Right? I want her to click?
Speaker 2: So definitely give some context because getting it randomly. Ooh, that's scary.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: Well, you guys, let us know cooler. I have a feeling everyone's gonna be like their call.
Speaker 1: Can you send us voice memos, guys, we would love that.
Speaker 2: No literally. If for a listener questions, send us voice memos.
Speaker 1: Speaking of listener questions, thank you so much Louisa for your amazing question this week. You guys, you can be just by her. Send us your questions. Information on how to do that is in the show description. Do not say that I did not tell you. Look in the show description.
Speaker 2: Also, make sure you guys are following the newsletter. If you're not already, it's called you guessed it. Let's talk offline. We go even deeper into the topics we discuss on the pod. There's some exclusive content. All the things you can find the link in the show description and it's also in my LinkedIn bio.
Speaker 1: Yes. Now, one last thing we got to remind you, guys, do not forget to rate and follow the show. We don't want you to miss this good content. Okay, I know you have been laughing with me and Gianna. You can keep laughing, rate and follow the show.
Speaker 2: And before you go, remember we've always got your back. So if something comes up, Let's Talk Offline.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jama Jackson Gadsden, Stay Thriving.
Speaker 2: Let's Talk Offline is a production of LinkedIn News and iHeart Podcasts. This show is produced by Western Sound. Our producer is Sabrina Fang. The show is edited by Savannah Wright. Our associate producer is Sarah Dilley. Alex mckinnis is our engineer, and Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Speaker 1: Executive producers at iHeart Podcasts are Katrina Norvel and Nikki Etour. We got support from LinkedIn's Jesse Hemple, Sarah Storm, and Ayana Angel. Maya Pope Chappelle is director of Content, Dave Pond is Head of News Production, Courtney Coop is Head of Original Programming, and Dan Ros is the editor in chief of LinkedIn