Speaker 1: It's finally here a week one, which means we were talking to head coach Dan Quinn about all things.
Speaker 2: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and then after that we.
Speaker 1: Talked must watch matchups and a ticket to victory out on Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: Oh that Moore on the game plan. Welcome in command, his family to the game plan.
Speaker 1: My name is Brian Corwoo Junior here with the legend logan Paulson and our fearless leader, head coach Dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: Coach. Good to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good to be here with you, man, and it's a cool show and glad to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, So before we get started on Tampa Bay, yep, you resigned Sam? Cos me what goes into that decision making, especially right before week one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Man, that awesome And it was really cool to see him and his family here today and think Sam represents, you know, what we want a commander to be. And he's strong, he's tough, he's a great teammate and so to know that he'll be right inside uh for years to come, that's an excellent feeling for a head coach.
Speaker 1: What a way to set the tone headed into week one. So let's get right into it. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers or a playoff team a great test for this new look team.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling about Tampa Bay?
Speaker 3: Yeah it is You're right. This is what a matchup, man. This is going to be a hell of a battle. Therese gonna be two tough teams that are gonna have to absolutely fight for it. And that's what I love about it. Their head coach former alumni not this week, Todd Bowles, not the alumni this week, but he's a really good coach. And they've had a good run, you know in Tampa, you know over the last you know, four years or so. They play aggressively. Defensively, they've been stout against the run. They've got a really good blitz package that's kind of what they've been known for. And then offensively, they've got some playmakers, you know, specifically outside receiver. They have it at running back, quarterback you know, can make plays outside the pocket. And so that's why this is going to be a hell of a fight, man. And it's like one that we're really looking forward to. Hot down there might get some weather and so all the elements that combine into like a hell of a fight and that's what we're expecting, and we certainly see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting because like Todd Bowles, he's such a game plan defensive coordinator. Is that one of the reasons why you keep all that stuff in the preseason close to the best kind of you know, make sure that he can't no competitive advantage format.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think part of that is true. And I think you'll recognize this too, Logan, And that's why we've got a good experience staff here. You've got to be able to adjust, you know, when it comes you think they may play you one way and they don't, you know, and say they want a blitz fifty percent of the time they can do that. Sometimes you get hurt on blitz you don't go down that road, or you load up in here for the run game and they play it differently. So what's awesome about our team A lot of guys with a lot of experience, been in a lot of fights, and so knowing that going in it's not always like you think the plan is going to be. You have certain parts of your game plan we've got to go execute, but you also have to adjust and when those times and those moments come, you've got to go nail it. And I love the fact that we've got a lot of guys that have been in the fights and are ready to adjust when needed.
Speaker 1: And the books brought back Baker Mayfield has to have in a career year last year, what chilencees the guy like Baker Mayfield polls for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's such a gamer and he's tough too. Like this guy, he'll get in the pocket, will extend plays and what you can see is, you know, on the deep balls. Like obviously to Evans that's been not just Baker, but through the years a number of people like I love the style, the attitude that he plays with and him and Godwin, But I think what Baker can bring is is also some movement, you know, and so in this offense, there's play passes, there's keepers ways to get a quarterback out on the edge, and so you'll see that with him, where you know quarterbacks under center, they're going to stay committed in the run game, and then can you get outside the pocket to take some of these deep throws down the field. And that's one of the things that we're going to work hard at to make sure we stay on top and make these balls go inside where you're not taking these shots down the field.
Speaker 4: Coach, have you seen him change? I think a lot of fans think of him in Cleveland where he kind of struggled, But I think last year he kind of he looked like a new guy. And so how do you kind of, I don't know, characterize his transition and is he here to stay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think sometimes you have to go through it a little and you find that you end up in the right place at the right time and the right system. And sometimes as that road and that journey goes, it can be a little rocky and it can be bumpy. But I think when you saw some of the things that he does so well and get outside the pocket to do that, that's what brings his game to life. And made good decisions and you know, took care of the ball. So all those things factor into it. But at the core of it, this is a really excellent competitor and now and from a system standpoint, you can tell he feels comfortable and really has an understanding of that.
Speaker 1: And talk about Baker growing in comfort. Well, now he has another new office of coordinator in Liam Cohen. What challenges this having to face a new offensive coordinator that you don't have as much film on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think when you go through the opening game, both sides have some wrinkles and some things to do that and logan to laugh. You'll see some coaches over there shuffling that paper around. You know, you hit the right mark when they're a little uncomfortable because new looks that you haven't shown to go. Now, one thing that's will stay somewhat consistent is the system, you know, and when you have a system, if all three of us had the same playbook and we ought to go call the game, we wouldn't call it exactly the same. And so I think there'll be a lot of concepts that Tampa has run in the past that had the same system you know, in place last year and this year. But it doesn't mean they'll call it the same way. Some of the things that Liam likes that Dave Canalis may have done differently, that's okay. And how do you feature players into the system? So what we'll see is his version of the offense and what does that look like. So when we get down to it, there'll be some plays you have to adjust, you have to make. But we're also on that side too, you know, where they have to, you know, see some things that we certainly haven't shown all of ours as well. So I love the gamesmanship that takes place early in the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Liam was in LA with Sean McVay and so he's kind of this, you know, this Kyle Shanahan Sean McVay tree, which is premiating the league.
Speaker 3: Like, what are some things about that? Often?
Speaker 4: So you say, man, that's you mentioned the movement already, the keepers, the boosts, the play action pass. Is it just that they're able to get to a bunch of different stuff from kind of the same looks, or is it that it's it's very milluable and changeable.
Speaker 3: Also, I think the best of the best, and this offense certainly has that that they can stretch you horizontally, you know, with some zones and ability to get the ball on the perimeter and then stretch you vertically. Now you have to defend the entire field. So you'll see some condensed formations where they can now expand from there to use the whole field, or you know, condense the formations to throw a shot down the field. So those are the things that I think you can expect from the system. Lots of shifting and motioning to you know, get guys and earn a leverage that they can you know, win with. And so that'll be part of the defensive challenges that own their own leverage and adjust to the motions and make sure they can At the end of it, man, it still comes down like we've got to really run and man, we've got to hit on defense.
Speaker 1: And you talk about those matchups that we're going to see, because don't air it out unless you have some real talent over there.
Speaker 2: And Mike Evans, you have a Chris God.
Speaker 1: When you have an eye on who's six ' five, how do you slow down those explosive.
Speaker 2: Weapons for the tap bay book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to see where these guys can take their shots down the field. So you've got to be able to stay on top to make sure those shots aren't there. But at the end of it, you also have got to put pressure on the QB and you'll hear us use the word affecting the QB and getting them off this spot where now he doesn't have the time, he can't stay in the rhythm. And so that's part of the defensive line, the blitz package to make sure, they're absolutely bringing it. So these plays can't develop and go down the field. And then the other part of that is disguised. You show one look and then you play the other looks like Manda man. But now zone, it looks like zone and you can play it as man. And so making the quarterbacks have to see what the defense is going to be in after they have the ball in their hands as opposed to it before the snap. I saw a motion. Okay, Logan went in motion safety travel with him is Manda Man? I know where to go. Sometimes you need to show that it's looking like Manda man and then after he gets it, No, No, it was zone. And so making those decisions hard. And I think that's what you know. Part of what makes Joe special is his ability in the disguise back and forth as a defender.
Speaker 4: I mean that evolution to defense has just been crazy over the last probably ten years. Like it used to be out here's cover two, here's man and man coverage. I remember when were in Atlanta and you would run a Cover two disguise but it was man, but it was actually Cover two. And just like the ability to get to all that different stuff and how hard that makes it offensively.
Speaker 3: I think it's just really powerful. Yeah, And I think early in my career, like in Seattle, we played one thing so much. We were exceptional with that one specific way that we played cover three and we knew where the problems were. We knew what it could look like and where it was going. But the game evolved more too, you know, where there's more formations, more things to think about, and so you can't just be stuck into one way and you have to evolve and you have to change and show man to man and pressure and then play back, and so that back and forth is what it's all about. But it's still, like I said, it comes down to for us the ball, you know, can we take care of it, can we knock a few out? And can we really go, you know, try to out hit people.
Speaker 4: This might be my offensive bias, but almost like you're approaching like an offensive play caller. Now, you're just trying to subvert offensive expectations, right, is that you're.
Speaker 3: Not going to win every play, and we know that. And you know, there was a great clip from Roger Federer that you know he won eighty percent of his games, but only like fifty four percent of the individual matches, so like it's back and forth, it's back and forth. So you have to know, Okay, they got us in that one. You go play the next one, and you go play the next one, and you keep going. In a game like this against Tampa, this is going to be all the way down to the end, and it's going to take the whole game. It's going to be an absolute battle, and so we expect that, you know, for this game to be close and in the end, if it goes all the way to the end or an extra time, like, we'll be down for that too. We just got to know that this fight's going to take all the way through the afternoon into the evening, and we'll be ready for that.
Speaker 1: He said some interesting coach talking about the evolution of the game. When I think about that, I think about the running backs, right, and how Rashad White is used for Tampa touches. I think the fourth most touch is in the NFL for running back. How do you slow with shot White down?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And he is really like you could almost say now, like a throwback, you know, running back, yes, and not everybody's equipped for that, but he has such a good slashing style Brian that you very rarely see him get knocked off. You know, he's got the ability to bend and cut. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, extends plays that way because now if it's covered, Baker has a you know, person and outlet to go to. And for instance, him specifically on screens has been a really big deal. And if you got people that want to get up the field and get going, the use of screens is a big deal. And so he's somebody in their system. Is somebody that has some excellent screens.
Speaker 2: And we buried the lead right. We had to ask you all these other questions.
Speaker 1: But we know people want to see and hear about quarterback Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 2: This is week one for him. We don't want to set.
Speaker 1: Expectations too high, but what do you expect to see from your rookie quarterback?
Speaker 3: I expect to see a lot of what I've seen, you know here in Ashburn. It's not just the throwing, but it's playing the position well and getting into the right play when that's needed, speeding up a throw when that's needed. But he can really go execute this system. And so he's put the work in and now you know how good that feeling is, like when you prepare for a show, like I can't wait for this show, all the work that I put in. He has that feeling because he's put so much work into it that you can't wait for kickoff and you can't wait for these opportunities and the one play and the one look that happens and you go nail it. And it doesn't come up on every play, but when it does and that moment's there, that's that pause, that time to say it's time to go for it. And I think people are cautious, they don't want to do it and look bad, or they pause, they say, no, no, this is the play, this is the one. I'm going for it. And guys like Jaden, when they see that moment, they go for it and coach that moment.
Speaker 1: I think you're going to go for that moment to we're going to be seeing you know, and these fans are so excited to see the Soul, happy to hear from you and get to know you. Co So we appreciate your time here and we can't wait to see you guys al on Tampa Bay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can't wait either, man, And just seeing this team come together and their connection, and in a week's time we'll get to see that connection with the city and the team. But man, we're absolutely going to bring it for him.
Speaker 2: Command is family. We know you are enjoying the game plan.
Speaker 1: However, if you want to see coach and logan Paul said break down plays in the film room, you could check that out on the Commander's YouTube page. Logan, we are just hours away from kickoff, which is crazy to say. What is a ticket to a victory for the Commanders three?
Speaker 4: Then the number one ticket. The first and most important thing is that we make Jane Daniel comfortable. Right, we make him the most comfortable quarterback in America. Cliff, what kind of game plan you got? How do we headle that Todd Bowles pressure? Does he understand the coverages that Todd Bowles is presenting? Because if he's playing comfortable football, this offense is going to cook. If its offense is cooking, it alleviates so much pressure on the defense. I definitely think Jade Daniels comfortable Cliff Kingsbury's game plan, that's the ticket to win.
Speaker 1: And we talked earlier about all these different names on Tampa Bay and also on our team, Right, what are some key matchups you were looking for.
Speaker 2: In today's game.
Speaker 4: I mean there's a bunch of this game. That's always the fun thing about week run is there's all these different things you have to see. So to me, Tyler Biottish VDAVEA, I think that's a big one inside. Right, he's you don't see a lot of true noseguards anymore, but he's one of the best in the NFL. He's big, he's three oundred sixty pounds, be hotist. You brought him in here to handle stuff like this, to handle the protections. Can you win that one on one? Terry McLaurin, they've got a young kind of first year starting cornerback. Can we exploit that mashup a lot of stuff like that, which I'm.
Speaker 3: Really excited for.
Speaker 1: I'd love that she went to the trances because my key is be robbed against any dude. I just want to see that man get twenty plus carries.
Speaker 2: You think it'll happen.
Speaker 4: I don't if we get twenty plus carries, but I think he'll be effective. I think finding ways to maximize this, right, Can we spread them out offensively? Can we make it so that that big body can get downhill and you know we're earn those yards, right, That's what we're looking for. So yeah, I hope b Rob has an excellent game.
Speaker 1: Looking for guys to swap a lot of paint today, command his Family is finally here. Week one of the NFL s is about to kick off. We will see you guys next Sunday on the.
Speaker 2: Game Plan Commanders Family.
Speaker 1: You could catch us every Sunday on WSA nine Sunday mornings before year games. This is game Plan with Brian Cooper, Junior Logan Paulson, head coach Dan Quinn until next Sunday, Commanders Family were out