Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and Elon Musk says it's outrageous to claim he's a Nazi. We have such a great show for you today, The Lincoln Project zwn Rick Wilson joins us to discuss Trump's increasingly deranged media appearances. Then we'll talk to Michigan Secretary of State Johncelyn Benson about her new book, The Purposeful Warrior, standing up for what's right when the stakes are high.
Speaker 2: But first the news.
Speaker 3: My mister Trump back of the day. We used to call people in public office who change their opinion on things foot flopper. Now we just see it as a normal thing. And he is foot flopped on firing Jerome Powell after many, many stern words about him.
Speaker 1: So Jerome Powell is basically what is standing between.
Speaker 2: Us and dollar flight?
Speaker 1: Okay, dollar flight is when the world gives up the dollar as the default currency and goes into the Euro or something else. Part of the American exceptionalism is that, for some reason, people think that our currency is the safest. If Donald Trump continues his behavior, as you know, disappearing grad students and acting like we're an emerging government or the global South, or a country that, you know, South America, a sort of country that has a continent that has less of this sort of structural democracy that we have in this country.
Speaker 2: Then if Trump keeps doing this.
Speaker 1: Then people will stop using the dollar as their default currency. Our debt will get more expensive to service. We already have enormous debt in this country, and it will be real bad, and everything will be more expensive, and we won't be able to live in quite the way we've been living. And it just no one wants dollar flight, which is why we really want Donald Trump to keep Jerome Powell. Now, the good news is Jerome Palell is not interested in leaving. Like with so many things in this Trump administration, it's not even clear that Trump can fire Jerome Palell, just like it's not even clear that he could deport those immigrants. Everything Trump is doing, or at least much of what Trump is doing, will ultimately be reversed by the laws or the next president. So he's basically, I think, very much threatening something he can't do. Now that said, Powell's term as FED chair ends in May twenty twenty six, and that I think is important because in May twenty twenty six, we will still be before the midterms, so that's not going to be good. But in twenty twenty six, god knows who Donald Trump will put in this job. By the way, I just want for two seconds to talk about what's happened at the IRS, because I think it's important. I would like to read a paragraph from the Economist about what's happening at the IRS right now, because I think it's really important to realize that these people have no idea what they're doing. Okay, Basically, they put a guy in charge of the IRS who was a MAGA hero after he alleged that the IRS was slow walking its investigation into Hunter Biden. He was ousted because Scott Besst, the Treasury Secretary, said his name is mister Shapelee. He was installed by Elon Musk, and he was asked by dissent. Then he had replaced someone else who had resigned because Musk had offered a deferred resignation to her. She had replaced someone who was Trump's first acting commissioner, Douglas O'Donnell, who retired early after a month in the post. Okay, so we are now at the fourth or fifth head of the irs. So I want to point out like, even when Trump World can replace these people, a lot of the time, the people that he picks are incompetent or unable or unwilling to do what he wants.
Speaker 3: Great stuff. Speaking of how bad things are going, mister Trump did this interview with Kristin Milker that you're going to talk about more with Rick Wilson and just a bit, and I found this piece one of the more laughable moments.
Speaker 2: When does it become the Trump economy?
Speaker 1: It partially is, right now, I think the good parts of the Trump economy and the bad parts of the Biden economy. Yes, the good parts are the Trump economy and the bad parts are the Biden economy. Look, that interview is worth listening to because this guy not only is he the president, he's the president with the most presidential power basically ever, because he's consolidated presidential power. So he's somewhere between president and pope. As he posted this weekend when he posted pictures of himself the pope. Yeah, not good, not good, but you know it is good. Jesse Cannon, what's that that my man is losing in the court of law.
Speaker 3: I will say, you know, we often brag about things we saw coming. Our worst fears before he was elected was that this would not happen. So I am emboldened by you know, he always talks about how we're going to be tired of winning.
Speaker 4: That's not what's happened to him in the court.
Speaker 2: Jesse and I have been through a lot.
Speaker 1: I feel like Jesse has been through more than I have because I don't know, I'm like a little bit less sensitive to the horrors that are our American political system right now.
Speaker 2: But let's just go through it.
Speaker 1: Jesse and I have been writing and talking and podcasting about the Alien Enemies Act.
Speaker 2: Forever and ever and ever.
Speaker 1: We thought it was a pretty weak sauce because the whole idea is it's always been used during wartime War of eighteen twelve, World War One, world War two, at all these different times they were able to use this Act because it was part of what happens when you're at war. Trump wanted to say, we were at war with this gang in Nicaragua who no one had ever fucking heard of until Trump took office. Turns out courts are like yet so that is gonna that's already been next and will only be more deportations to countries other than a migrants country of origin. Also yet, so that is again probably a pretty good sign that Trump is losing temporary protective status of people fleeing humanitarian crisis is also Trump is Yet the courts say no diice. And then of course there are the guys who are still rotting at Seacott, and those guys the courts want returned. So again, you know, also disappearing foreign students can't do that anymore. One has been released more to come under outably if we can ever get them out full time. Foreign students had to send back their immigration visas, not allowed to pull them, warrantless to rest in California, And yet refugee admissions got to do it. And the birthright citizenship case is going to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: I bet you a gazillion dollars.
Speaker 1: That the Supreme Court says, no, you don't get to overturn by birthright citizenship. So so far a lot of the Heritage Foundation's work has been undermined, and we love to see it. We are delighted to see the Heritage Foundation lose delightful.
Speaker 3: So, Molly, we did an amazing interview last week with the New York Times Peter Goodman on supply chains. I know it's not the most exciting subject.
Speaker 2: But we really killed it.
Speaker 1: Let us congratulate ourselves again for that, because we really did kill it.
Speaker 3: You know what, it's getting views on YouTube and you're talking supply chains, you know you did something right. Anyway, it seems that there's gonna be a lot of very odd products that are not gonna be on the shelves or doubling in price very soon, and it's not feeling so good for mister Trump's approval rating.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing which I don't think Trump's approval rating has yet been exposed to, because we have been warning people about it.
Speaker 2: But no one's only seen it.
Speaker 1: And this is another point where you know, we're warning people, but people haven't actually experienced it. Until you experience it, you're not going to really understand what it is. So here's here's what's going on. There are things that are made in China that are not made in the United States. By tariffing them, you have just made them more expensive. You have not made factories to make them in the United States. So we're about to have a real problem.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to Amazon. Amazon has made everything a lot cheaper by selling a lot of Chinese goods.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: What Amazon wanted to do was put next to prices, how much more tariffs we're going to make them?
Speaker 2: But Trump said no. Was very mad.
Speaker 1: Mister Bezos, who has blue origin, wants to put famous people on mars. He caved or his people cave. There will not be a sort of like this should be four bucks, but because of tariffs, it's eight Here's the problem. It's still going to be eight bucks. So it may not say that tariffs are causing it, but people are about to realize that things are about to get more expensive. And we're also going to have some empty shelves for stuff that isn't made in the state. So Americans tend not to like it when things cost more money for no reason.
Speaker 2: So we're going to see how this plays. M Rick Wilson is the founder of Lincoln Project and the host of the Enemy's List.
Speaker 1: It's a Sunday, and Sunday means that Rick Wilson and Jesse Roast may congratulations. Let's go Rick Wilson Sunday, President of the United States on Meet the Press with Kristen Welker, And he doesn't know if he's supposed to uphold the Constitution.
Speaker 4: You know, he has sworn that oath twice now, he.
Speaker 2: Had his fingers crossed both.
Speaker 5: But then again, he's been married three times and he swore an oath then too, And he signed about a jillion contract in his life and he never followed any of those. So my only question to my conservative friends who are like the constitution, go him first.
Speaker 4: Really does it? Does it?
Speaker 5: Or or or or are we now in it? Are we now just gonna not even pretend anymore? We're just gonna go all in.
Speaker 2: We're in post constitutionalism.
Speaker 4: We're in post a lot of things right now.
Speaker 5: And I think I think the dumbest part of this is expecting that Trump will ever follow anything that doesn't make him money, make him feel like he's the center of attention, or titillate him in some way.
Speaker 1: I think the best moment, the best, the most sort of meaning full moment of that interview was him saying was him explaining that he has no idea how trade works at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Correct? Correct? Correct? He he really is? He really is.
Speaker 5: That was a guy, and he's a guy that people in the White House shouldn't know that he thinks he's he thinks he's great with the press, and increasingly, unless it is spoon fed to him like like vanilla pudding, not so good. I mean, that was not an impressive answer on trade or the economy because he doesn't understand anything about anything at all.
Speaker 4: There's no there there.
Speaker 5: And and you know, if you were a Trump supporter watching that, you know, just arguing, do you had to say to yourself, Well, the boss could have answered that a little more effectively. Oh fuck, I gotta go to the store and buy beans and can goods because we're all going to starve this winter.
Speaker 1: So it was not a good So let's talk about this for a second, because this is the thing that it feels like we're careening towards right now. We still have empty container ships coming in right in the ports of Los Angeles Long Beach. Some these are sort of next week and the week after that's after the tariffs. So if you were in the water when the on Liberation Day, you weren't tariffed. But if you were heading in the water the day after Liberation day, you're on the list. As we say in you know an economists speak fucked so now.
Speaker 5: Ges that is a technical term that Fred Kayak wrote often about the.
Speaker 1: Discussion exactly so now he's fucked. Right, we have China cheat, There is no there is nothing, we have no.
Speaker 5: Day like the Chinese is correctly read that Trump would do one stupid thing after another, double down on the stupid thing. Right, take the stupid thing out on a date, fuck it in the backseat of his car, get it pregnant, and then become a baby daddy to the stupid things son of the stupid thing. This guy, they played him like a fiddle, and they continue to play him like a fiddle.
Speaker 1: We have no deal with no ninety ninety deals in ninety days, right, zero, No Japan, no Indian.
Speaker 5: I don't think we have any actual deals. I mean maybe like with so Toe or somewhere.
Speaker 4: I don't think we have I don't think we have any deal.
Speaker 1: So we have nothing and we have This all goes into effect on July seventh, Okay, July seventh, we have again right now, we still have one hundred and fifty percent tariffs on China. So you know, everybody sort of stockpiled. A lot of vendors have stockpiled. Now we are going we're sort of where I think about two weeks two three weeks from starting to really have empty shelves. Okay, we have no trade deals, we have no plan here. Even if tomorrow Donald Trump says to Chi, I give up, uncle, let's restart, let's end the tariffs, we will still have a post COVID inflationary spike the way we did last time.
Speaker 4: There's no question, there is no question.
Speaker 5: And he's weakened to the US dollar at the same time, so foreign goods are going to cost more because of the tariffs. The weaker dollar is going to reduce our ability to grow the economy.
Speaker 2: Our dead is going to get more expensive because there.
Speaker 5: Are inflationary pressures are going to in the best case, the Fed is going to have to put the brakes on any idea about reducing rates. Again, none of this had to happen, but it all ended up having to happen because Trump. I mean, when these mistakes they concatenate, they pile on top of one another, and they don't just like they're not they're not additive, they multiply.
Speaker 4: They're like logarithmic.
Speaker 5: The more mistakes he makes, the more they compound all the previous mistakes. So we're in for you know, everybody should pray for a shitty recession.
Speaker 4: That's the good scenario.
Speaker 1: Yes, And the market has sort of gone back to pre Liberation day numbers, right. The stocks are sort of backup because they think that the FED is going to cut interest rates. The Fed is not going to cut interest rates because our FED chair is actually smart and remembers the nineteen eighties and stagflation.
Speaker 2: Now, what is.
Speaker 1: Going to happen is despite not having a FED cut, we are going to still probably have staflation because things are going to get more expensive and we're going to head into a recession, and that will mean that we will be in a moment that is almost unfixable stagulation because you can't cut interest rates because things get more expensive, and you can't lower interest rates because then things will get more inflationary.
Speaker 5: This box he has put us in just about the only thing that will undo this, and it won't undo all the damage, but has to be basically a blood sacrifice of this issue. Trump has to say, and we all know how likely this is, which is to say zero. Oh god, this was a fucking a mistake. I fired Peter Navarro and Howard Lunnink. They're fucking idiots. They led me down a wrong path. This country believes in and in free trade, and we're gonna work with our international friends and allies and partners and trading partners, and we're going to restore trade relations across the board. That's gonna be my main job from now on. Forget all this other crap. I've got to get our economy moving again. That's how you would fix it if you were a if you believed in fixing it.
Speaker 4: He does not.
Speaker 5: He has he's starting to dig in. I don't mean just like the oh well maybe they get two dollars instead of thirty that stuff. I think he's starting to believe that this this rhetoric he's been using. Oh there's gonna be some pain first. We've got to get tougher. We've got to tough en up. We've got a reindustrial None of the things he thinks are gonna happen have happened, and they will not happen because this theory was broken from.
Speaker 1: The beginning, right, I mean, the idea that you would ontour manufacturing by making things more expensive is not ever how it was going to go. And you could have done this. I think had you done this in nineteen seventy, it might have worked, sure, but you can't do it now. And also the lack of certainty is going to keep people from building factories in the United States, especially for things that Americans don't even want, these jobs.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's why this is so insane.
Speaker 5: And honestly, we have we made an accommodation in this country a long time ago, and Trump never, ever, ever, ever, ever mentions it. We have a trade deficit on material goods and a wild vast global trade surplus on services. Now that those are going to take a big hit too, because the world understands the way the game is. They understand that the only way to defeat Trump is to cause so much economic pain in America that he loses power. He has lost a lot of his power in the last few weeks because the mojo he had with his base from the very started from twenty fifteen. He knows the economy, he's a businessman, he's really smart. He knows that to negotiate, and now he looks like a fool every day that has started to corrode. It's not everybody, it's not even the majority of the of the base, but it has started to corrode the idea that Donald Trump is this economic superhero who can never do wrong.
Speaker 1: I also want to talk about this idea of being afraid of Trump. So this weekend we saw Janamels in Maine. She won against Trump. I'll see you in court. She saw him any court lost like this is. It's so easy, don't you know? You can be Gretchen Wibmor hiding behind a folder, or you can be Janamel's winning in the court.
Speaker 2: Which do you want to be?
Speaker 4: Listen? I have said this for years.
Speaker 5: For a long time, there was some argument that I might be in by saying this, But I've been telling people for years. He's a fucking bully. If you give in to him, he will take more of your lunch money. If you give in to him, he'll beat you up another time during the day. If you give in to him, he will keep insulting you. If you give in to him, he will keep taking a dump.
Speaker 4: In your locker.
Speaker 5: This is a guy who, when he gets caught in his bullshit and has to really actually demonstrate it, whether it's his trade stuff we were just talking about, whether it's the Ukraine War, or whether it's Janet Mills in Maine beating him on his sacred issue of the trans athlete stuff, or whether it's these law firms who capitulated in advance and then now have a court ruling against Trump saying not only can you never do this, but it was illegal under the first.
Speaker 4: And the fifth and the sixth amendments. That get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That so he loses much more than he wins, and they translate the few victories he gives into this bulletproof image of Donald Trump in the political space that is just not accurate. People should go after him and punch him in the nose because frequently works well.
Speaker 1: And also the other thing is that, look this is you. First of all, it's morally wrong, okay. Second of all, it's legally dubious, third of all, it's authoritarianism, and fourth of all it's not working. It's like that we have every single sort of authoritarian bit. You know, he can't don't let him be victor or bond. He can't be it any way, stop at stop a stop it. So I would say you know worse we got. We got the mainstream media. But let's have two seconds on what you think the White House Correspondence Association should be doing.
Speaker 5: They have all been in this I think wrong mindset that, oh well, if we don't have our place every single day in the briefing room, we've lost our mojo.
Speaker 4: That's the big get for being in the of course pond.
Speaker 5: What they should be doing is tearing this White House apart. They should be going after all of the secrets and the lies, and the corruption and the scamming, and the backbiting and the infighting and the weirdness. They should be going after this administration in the battlefield where they belong. It is not to watch Carolyn Levitt open her lie hole every day and tell them another fifteen items of why Donald Trump is the small smartest, handsomest, tallest man in every room.
Speaker 4: They should be doing their jobs. They should say fuck it.
Speaker 5: If I can't get in the White House, I'm still going to make phone calls, I'm still going to go do the work. The old model is something once again that Trump has hacked. Like a lot of authoritarians, they use the authoritarians use the tools of democracies to overturn democracy. The Trump media is using the tools of the news media, the traditional mainstream media, to break the mainstream media. This is a foolish battle. They can't win by complaining about, oh, well, why would you let Tim Poole in the White House? Even though I don't know who said it, but when Tim Poole was in there, somebody said the other day, he looks like he's about to leave the White House and go have a wrap battle with eminem in eight mile.
Speaker 1: What I love about Tempoole is nothing, but also nothing that the Beanie.
Speaker 2: I like the Beanie.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, he's a bald guy. He should just own it.
Speaker 2: I like it's.
Speaker 4: Easier that way, a fetching chapeau, if you will.
Speaker 1: So the Trump's polling is down, still not probably where it deserves to be.
Speaker 4: It's about us.
Speaker 5: It's look, it's it's very close to its forty one forty.
Speaker 1: I like it when he's thirty eight, that's thirty seven thirty eight. That's my happy place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it has started to really scare the Republicans. I know Virginia Republicans are trying to find ways.
Speaker 4: To say his name.
Speaker 1: That's a fun story talk about the Virginia gubernatorial.
Speaker 4: All right, Molly, you know this better than I do. But it just involves naked pictures.
Speaker 2: Wait, which one is this? What explain it? Because I've known.
Speaker 5: So there's a Virginia Republican candidate out there who is caught up in this intramural fight now in the Republican Party because the Glenn Youngkin wing of the party, which which whether or not people believe it, he is.
Speaker 2: He's turned out, so fuck them hop right.
Speaker 5: But so so they tried to bump this guy named John Reid out of the Republican Party because he had this he had this account on social media.
Speaker 2: Actually explicit images of.
Speaker 4: Men of gay men and their penises.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And so.
Speaker 4: He's he's running a state wide off for state white office.
Speaker 5: He had a tumblr Tumblr That's what I was trying to remember what what platform was.
Speaker 2: Some of the oldies Kin asked read to drop out last week.
Speaker 4: Right, So they try to get him out of the race.
Speaker 5: And now it's like you've got the trads like young Kin who want him out. The magas are defending the guy with the penis picture collection. The evangelicals are nervous wins seers, who doesn't like the gays is nervous. The whole thing is like, is like kind of an apotheosis of where the MAGA movement is. They sucked in all of this weird flotsam and jetsam into their system after Trump, all the broken toys and misfit children wandered into two Maga And so it shouldn't surprise people this is coming up.
Speaker 4: Look, if the.
Speaker 5: Guy wants to have a collection on his Tumblr account of men's penises, that is his business. I'm a I'm libertarian and open minded enough for to say, as long as it's behind the firewall and the utes can't see it, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean, but it's important to remember that Virginia is it seems like the I mean.
Speaker 5: Nobody ever criticized Steve Bannon for having a scab collection tumbler, but you know, at.
Speaker 1: The Virginia gubernatorial I just want to do another second on this because you know it's coming up very soon. We have Spamburger is I don't know what you pulling at ten thousand more than the Republican.
Speaker 5: Look, here's the thing. If the Republicans lose Virginia at the state right level and the legislative level, I will tell you exactly. On the congressional level, rather, i'll tell you exactly. There's a two word phrase you should just say over and over again. That's Elon musk. The fact that you So, there's been two hundred and sixty seven thousand federal workers fired or laid off, and about one hundred and thirty thousand of those people are in the great state of Virginia in three congressional districts. Yeah, and every one of those members of Congress has said something like Alma Ahama and hamanoshould be careful about our job. They're going to have Elon Musk hung around their necks. I can tell you this works. I've tested it already. We're going into the field very soon because these people are vulnerable as hell. The doge is about as popular as as has rotten meat in the state of Virginia. They're going to have to defend it. And the problem, as always, when you have a cohort in your party of insane people who spend forty percent of their time on Twitter every day. When they see someone say, Lord Elon made a mistake, their natural reaction is to dogpile them and to attack them, and then you end up in this thing where where even these MAGA candidates get interpreted as establishment rhino Cuckshills, and the Maga stay home, or the magas put up another candidate in a primary, someone crazier, right right, Yeah, but it's not even about Trump in Virginia, it's about Doze in these cuts and then it is bleeding them.
Speaker 4: It is bleeding them savagely.
Speaker 2: Right now, it is true Doge.
Speaker 1: Just one last caveat about Doge not saving anyone any money.
Speaker 5: No, No, you could have done You could have done basic financial auditing and saved a lot more money.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hell well.
Speaker 1: Jocelyn Benson is the Secretary of State of Michigan and a candidate for Governor of Michigan and the author of The Purposeful Warrior, Standing up for what's right when the stakes are high.
Speaker 2: Welcome to past politics. So talk to us about this book. Well, thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: I'm such a big fan, Nolly and grateful for your voice right now in this moment. You're a true purposeful warrior, and that's what my book is about. It started as my take on what it was like to stand up to a president and protect the votes of Michigan anders after the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 6: So those are stories we can all be reminded of right now. It evolved into a book about the power we all have to define a better world for ourselves, the people we love, and the places we call home, even in turbulent times.
Speaker 1: Tell me about what that looks like for you right now, You're the Secretary of State for the State of Michigan.
Speaker 2: How are you doing that?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, the book is really about how we all can, in moments of you know, great uncertainty, stay true to who we are and see turbulent times as an opportunity to restore our power to define who we are. So for me in Michigan as Secretary of State on the chief election off, Sir, that means continuing to stand up unequivocally in support of the values that we share as Democrats and the work we all need to do together to continue protecting democracy. And I'm also running for governor in a state that voted for Donald Trump and voted for me twice, and so in this moment, we have to remember to stand up for who we are because team democracy and the truth matters. So in this moment, I think We all have opportunities to be warriors for who we are, and this book is really a call to action for all of us to stay true to it those principles even in times of great challenge.
Speaker 1: So, you guys are in a difficult spot trying to serve your constituents while protecting them from trump Ism. Can you try to explain to us what Governor Whitmera is doing right now?
Speaker 6: That's a question for her more than it is for me. But at the same time, I believe in this moment that governors can be whether you're a governor of a blue state or a purple state, or even a red state, you can be aligned with who we are and what matters most. In my case, I'm unequivocal in recognizing that even in a state like ours, we have to be clear that we have a responsibility to stand up to anyone who had threatened the rights and freedoms of our citizens, even if that person is the President of the United States. I think it's important for us to hold the line and also reinforce the reality that the last one hundred days has wreaked economic havoc in our state and in our democracy, and so my focus is always to be willing to work with anyone to get things done for Michiganders, especially when it boosts our economy and invest in our people. But we can do that while also being unequivocal and standing up to anyone who threatens our economy, the economic prosperity of our residents, and that rites and freedoms of every citizen. And that is undoubtedly what we're seeing out of this administration right now.
Speaker 1: How do you do that without looking like your rubber stamping trump Ism or not even like I understand that we've seen this, and we saw this in Washington, DC, done pretty well by by MARYO Bowser. But a lot of times people will think maybe they're negotiating against Trump and winning at it, when in fact Trump is absolutely kind of ensnaring them.
Speaker 2: How do you do that?
Speaker 6: I think the same way for me, I defended our election as also in twenty twenty, which is refusing to waiver from the truth. And you know, the truth is these less hundred days, we've seen reckless economic policies that have driven up the cost of living in Michigan for our farmers, for our teachers, for our autoworkers, and those economic policies have not been good for our state. If there are opportunities to improve them, great, But as governor, I would work with other governors and even with other governments in other countries to find ways to improve the economic well being of our residents, especially if the actions that the federal government are taking are only causing more harm. We've got to stand up and tell our story. We've got to speak with truth and integrity and courage. But we cannot waver from those principles, especially in times like these. And if you reflect on everything that's happened in the last one hundred days, it's not just the economic pieces. And I say this as someone who's a staunch defender of democracy. I've dedicated my whole life to it. We have seen a real damage done to the very legal, constitutional, judicial institutions that form the fabric of our democracy, and we have to all be unequivocal about standing up and condemning that, because this is not the moment to bendi. This is the moment to stand proud in defense of our democracy, our constitution, our country, and in economic in defense of economic policies that will actually drive out the cost of living and improve economic opportunity for all all of those things are aligned to me, and all of those things is what I'd steadfastly pushed for and push anyone to stand with me on as governor.
Speaker 1: So what do you say, you know, like the tariffs, you hope these tariffs coming, some of them are already here.
Speaker 2: How are the tariffs affecting Michigan.
Speaker 6: I think there's a role for tariffs to be carefully played in different roles, and that's not what's happening here. What's happening here is the reckless use of tariffs to further kind of personal vendettas almost and play games with the economic wellbeing of our residents. So, whether it's merchants and small business owners, farmers, auto workers, we are all mired uncertainty and the chaos that this daily evolution of our tariff's policy has caused so many of our residents in our state. Yes, we all want to see more things made in Michigan. Yes, we all want to invest in our manufacturing prowess. Again, there is a role for terrorists to play in that. This ain't it, And I think we have to be very clear about that and offer our alternative views as to how to do that by investing in manufacturing and building things in our state and shifting phones in that regard. But right now, particularly with our allies in Canada, where so much partnership is critical for us in Michigan, tariffs and the evolving uncertainty of the tariffs have only created economic havoc in our state. And my hope is that we see an end to that soon. But we need adults in the room making these policies at the federal level.
Speaker 1: So what can the state do at this moment to protect constituents from Trump? I mean we see ices arresting grad students, putting them in detention facilities.
Speaker 2: I mean, they have a.
Speaker 1: Very kind of they're not so into do process anymore, and in fact they're running about with the Supreme Court on that. What can you do as a state official besides protecting votes, what can you do to protect constituents?
Speaker 6: Well, first, it means we're recognizing as policies merge out of the federal government, using everything we have at the state level to protect our residents, whether it is investing in our schools, shifting more funds that have been taken away for service projects into service projects in our state, we're just at the beginning of seeing the devast station that all of these cuts are having on services from everything from service providers in our state, to educators in our state, to auto workers and to farmers, and so as a state, we can do what we can to eliminate wasteful spending and bureaucracy, to make the cost of starting a business less, to make it easier for people to build houses and meet their homes, and eliminate costly regulations that stand in the way of that. But in this specific moment that a lot of it it is just kind of keeping track of the chaos coming out of Washington right now and then developing a policy to protect people from that as it becomes more clear what's actually happening. But the other thing that's emerged over these last one hundred days, I think is the recognition of all of us as Americans, not just governors, although I think governors have a critical role to play in this moment, but all of us as Americans to not bend the knee, to not allow what we're seeing come out of Washington to define who we are, to retain our power to define who we are, and fight to restore those values of inclusion, of equality, of justice, of fairness, to the way our economy and our country operates and our democracy operates.
Speaker 1: I really like you and think you're really a smart politician. But when I interview you, and you do a thing which a lot of democratic politicians do, which is you'd say a lot of things, but you don't necessarily answer questions in a way that might be more of a sort of nor won't speak. Do you think that that hurts democrats? I want to take the case of Harris for a minute. She did some interviews, but really not nearly as many as Donald Trump, and when she did, she did a similar thing of talking but being.
Speaker 2: Very careful with her words.
Speaker 1: Do you think that it actually ultimately hurts democratic politicians to be so careful with their words.
Speaker 6: So I've spent every day of my career delivering results for the people of Michigan and fighting to make sure that every voice is heard in our democracy, and every step of the way, I've thought to ensure that our government is accountable. I've fought to protect our freedoms against people who have come to my home with guns to try to take me off my post. I in my understand that you Democrats need to do. No, no, no. What Democrats need to do is deliver the results. And that's what we have done in Michigan to reform as Secretary of State's office, to make things work better, to protect people's rights at the ballot box. So you know, I'm a professor and an educator by training, and I'm not a politician. I'm not going to give you talking points. I'm not going to give you words and buzz words of the day. I am going to go into the details about what we're action doing to deliver results for the people of Michigan and what I would do as governor. But at the same time, I think the more we can deliver those results driven experiences for people instead of just talk, then we can rebuild our party so that more people can see that we are the party of getting things done. And I do think governors and state leaders or unique position to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: No, I know, and I see. I know that you were a Dean of Wayne State lawyer, teacher. I want you to win, and I know that you and Governor Wimera have had really horrendous experiences including her I mean with the Michigan militia. I mean, there are some, really, but I just wonder it's a little more clarity. I would love more to hang on to, just a little more of the sort of nuts and bolts of the experience of a lot of electeds. So what we see is that when we do these interviews with electeds, people don't really connect a lot of times, and they get really low ratings. And I think some of that is because they don't feel they get a lot of information.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's helpful at feedback. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're obviously going to do it, and we need to do it, and it's we do academics, we do.
Speaker 2: We don't do this for the ratings per se. Like, I know what you want and I understand that. Look, do I want you to be governor? One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Do I think that you are as smart and as competent as anyone running for governor anywhere?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I think that voters want more to hang on to.
Speaker 6: I think what voters want to hang on to, our leaders are going to drive down the cost of living, increase their wages and economic opportunity, and make their lives easier. My office works to meet people where they are, save them times, save them money, and help them get on with their day. Whether it's small business leaders we need to be able to open that small bug business without having to pay five thousand dollars in regulations and loti you do so, or homeowners that need to be able to keep their homes. And what I'm actually hearing from the people of Michigan is that they want leaders who are going to get stuff done. And that's what I've done throughout my career proudly, regardless of who and how powerful the person is who tries to stand up miling.
Speaker 2: It's a good point.
Speaker 1: So give us one last thing about what you learned writing this book.
Speaker 6: Well, I think first, no one has the power to define who we are. Only we have that power. And even in challenging, uncertain moments, we always have that power to decide how we'll respond to turbulent times and what we're going to do. So what this book really is actually is a call to action for every American citizen in this moment to stand up and be warriors on behalf of ourselves those we love in the communities we call home. That's what it's going to take to really restore our country and rebuild our economy. And my hope is that readers in this book will learn from me about how I've learned to choose courage over fear, how I've learned to be resilient and persevere in the face of great tragedy, and in doing so we can together build a community of warriors who can help restore our country and truly make it great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great point. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: No moment, Rick Wilson.
Speaker 6: Mollie john Fast, what is your moment of fuck ray?
Speaker 5: That would be Pope Flatulus, the first Donald Trump tell.
Speaker 2: Us why you have fit? This moment is your.
Speaker 5: Moment I find Look, I America is a nation founded on religious diversity. And I know the word the d word offends the magi at scale, but it really legitimately was founded on religious diversity. Go back and read George Washington's letter to the Connecticut Synagogue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure they're going to be doing that.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they're going to dig that right up.
Speaker 5: But he talked about freedom of religion as far back as that, and for the MAGA is one of their articles of fate for the last few years haha has been how dare you insult our Christian faith? And then Donald Trump posts a picture of himself as the next Pope from the official White House Twitter account. I don't know how hot the hinges of Hell are. It's a phrase we use here in the South right frequently, but I suspect if that doesn't qualify as full on white hot blasphemy.
Speaker 4: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Does Rick Wilson white hot blasphemy.
Speaker 4: Watch the documentary Conclave in the Near Future in Conclave Too Electric Boogaloo.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.