Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: The Worlds of Pigeon podcast.
Speaker 1: Live from Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 3: This is Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com. Goody, good morning, and welcome to Patriots Training Camp special Patriots Unfiltered edition. We are high above the practice field here at Jillette Stadium, getting ready for the joint practice with the Indianapolis Colts. It's Paul Pirello, myself, Fred Kersh, my Dussau, Evan Lazarre, and we're happy to have you with us for this today. It's a beautiful day out, a little bit of breeze, which is most welcome. It's been really hot here in New England lately, but it's just a glorious day for football.
Speaker 1: Glorious day. I think everybody was looking forward to this.
Speaker 4: Talking to the players over the last few practices, I think they're already to hit somebody else, to see some different schemes. And I don't know, have I think you summed it up well last week where you're like it feels like it's getting a little stale. Maybe they're kind of getting used to seeing the same plays over and over again.
Speaker 1: These are always a highlight of.
Speaker 4: The summer and it should be a really good one today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and with the way that the NFL as a whole treats preseason games now for the starting frontline players, we just heard from Mike Rabel that Drake May is probably not gonna play on Thursday night.
Speaker 6: This is the preseason now. These are practices.
Speaker 5: Are where that starters Drake May, aj Brown, Christian Gonzalez, That's where they get their work in is during these joint practices.
Speaker 6: So this is the this is the litmus.
Speaker 5: This is a barometer now against the team last year that was on its way to the playoffs until Daniel Jones got hurt.
Speaker 6: It's a talented team.
Speaker 5: They got some stars on that side as well, So it's gonna be exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You mentioned this is preseason now, and it's going to be increasingly so because eventually the league's gonna go to eighteen games. That means they're gonna knock down on one of the preseason games down to so it'll be two. So these joint practices are going to be more and more important, even more than they are now. You know, it'll be common to see teams with two joint practices at minimum during training camp.
Speaker 1: So this is it.
Speaker 2: Like Vrabel said, you're gonna get about twenty four offensive snaps, so they've already got it all mapped out, which he says is.
Speaker 1: More than a game. I thought that was a little bit strange.
Speaker 4: Well for the for the ones and then no for the ones, Okay, gotcha, Okay, it would be a little bit more. But yeah, I mean this is you know, the trend. We've been watching plenty of joint practices here, we were in Minnesota last year. You know, always really competitive. I mean, I just I always enjoyed the final two minute. I mean that's the you know, the last segment that they do. The two teams, you know, go against each other, try to put some points on the board. So you know, there's of course Robert Spileine out here. I'm sure he's fired up today to get some stick marks, stick his helmet into some of these cults players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, for anyone who's new to joint practice, is it's not one hundred percent tackling. It's pretty much i'd say maybe eighty percent speed. And you know, guys aren't for the most part, going to the ground.
Speaker 1: There's some thutting going on.
Speaker 2: There's some you know, pushing and shoving and kind of heavy hits, especially along the line of scrimmage, but guys aren't tackling, and sometimes when one.
Speaker 1: Guy goes a little bit harder than another, you know, it's get a little heated. We've seen some fights here, you know.
Speaker 4: I also think something I recognized last year was in Minnesota. You felt like Minnesota's defense was all over Drake, which you know they were, but I think there were also plays that Drake said, people forget how mobile I am. Not every single one of those was going to be a sack. So I think it's important not to, you know, overreact. Remember that it isn't live. The quarterback can sneak out sometimes and it's in a real situation, so you know, some of this stuff it's going to get blown up and all. They had twelve sacks or you know, those kind of things, even for the defense, But like you said, Fred, it's not live, and you have to take everything a little bit of a grain of salt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I hope they don't have twelve sacks.
Speaker 4: That would probably be bad regardless yeah.
Speaker 1: We uh.
Speaker 2: In the last Patriots Unfiltered newsletter, we talked about the matchups that we're looking forward to watching during this practice.
Speaker 1: Let's go over let's go over that again. Evan. We'll start with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, has anything changed since you wrote wrote you wrote up in the newsletter?
Speaker 6: No, I said late to a lot to you versus Will Campbell.
Speaker 5: I'll stick with that as their best pass rusher on the edge and a player last year at over sixty pressures, double digit sacks. Pretty good player. Not necessarily a household name yet, but it was a first round pick a couple of years ago. I would just say big picture offense in general. I think the offense for the Patriots has been okay in training camp, but I don't think that they've consistently hit their ceiling yet. A lot of new faces, AJ Brown, Romeo Dobbs catching passes from Drake May for the first time. So you'd like to see the offense in one of these three joint practices. You'd like to see MVP Drake May. You know, you like to see him go out there and really tear it up into practice. So hopefully it's today, if not next week against the Eagles, but I don't think we've necessarily seen this offense consistently firing on all cylinders yet.
Speaker 4: I think I missed the one day that that it was probably closest to the second day past.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, yeah, that that Friday was probably the closest thing to it. He definitely was good that day, And I'm not saying he hasn't been good, but I just think that there's been some growing pains with those receivers, in particular, breaking those guys in and Vera Tucker on the offensive line on the left side, and different faces in what they had last year in different spots. So you would just like to see that start to come together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for me, I'm gonna go not surprisingly with the edge players here for the Patriots.
Speaker 1: You know, Draymont Jones I think has been fine.
Speaker 4: You know, I think he's one of those guys that will show up doing everything when when the season comes around. But you know, how does Elijah Ponder look in some of these drills? How does Gay Bachus look? Is he you know, finally unleashed here as he's worked his way back into you know, full play time, we've seen him get rising reps. So those guys you know, just how of they hold up. I mean, Indy's got a pretty good offensive line. You know, you never know quite how the matchups are going to work out. But you know, Raymond's pretty good left tackle for them, So how to out of those guys match up. It's still just such a key position to me if they're going to be able to generate consistent pressure off the edges with this group. And you know we heard about Harold Landry two. He's still working his way back. He's another part of this group eventually, but these three guys behind him are going to have to really hold the fort. I'd almost put Brayden Swinson in that mix too, But those three guys love to see something out of them today, winning their matchups off the.
Speaker 1: Edge, how about you, Paul?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, unfortunately Mian already got blown up because I don't think we're going to see Alec Pierce today. He's not feeling with some injuries there in Indie. Because I really have been impressed with the Patriots secondary during these training camp practices, obviously led by Christian Gonzalez. I wanted to see a different kind of challenge, you know, a taller speed threat, true speed threat down the field.
Speaker 1: Not going to see that, So.
Speaker 7: I guess I'll focus a little bit more just on the Patriots offensive line in general and see how it looks against another team. You know, I don't know who's going to be upfront, you know, if top to bottom for the Colts, but their NFL players, it's a good team that was off to a really good start until they had unfortunate injuries last year. It's tough because I think their offense is so predicated on Jonathan Taylor and I don't think that gets accentuated in a joint practice. You know, there's no real simulation for that, and I think so much of what they do depends on how he goes. But I do think you can see how the Patriots offensive line performance. We've seen some of these joint practices before. Some of them haven't always gone well, and you can see, even though they're not live, you can tell. So I'm hoping that there's a better showing today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry to cut you off.
Speaker 4: I just i'd highlight Jared Wilson and the interior, you know, going against Grover Stewart to Forrest Buckner, two of their top line guys. That's something I think we got to keep it one with Jared Wilson moving to center, handling the big guys inside, that's something that you know, we saw a little bit when he was playing left guard last year of you know, some of the power guys could kind of get into him and get him pushing back.
Speaker 1: We think he's better at center.
Speaker 4: That's what we've been told, that's what is his natural position is is that going to translate to the field and really, you know, solidify this.
Speaker 1: Whole new look offensive line.
Speaker 4: So that's that's another spot I'll be watching, especially you know, Elijah vera tucker for great things about him. Let's see how he does against some of these bigger body players inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I and you know I wrote and you know I'll stand by I'm looking at both sides of the line. How how do the how does the offensive line handle the Colts pressure when they send it? I think if there are problems on the offensive line.
Speaker 1: You'll see it today. Yeah, you'll see it today.
Speaker 2: And and if there's not, you'll see a smooth, smooth execution up front.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then of course can we get pressure on the Colts? How is that working out?
Speaker 2: And you know I'm like you guys, I'm excited to see Gabe Achis, to see how he's doing out there. No Christian Barmore today, as we as we found out something happened last week with him and we haven't seen him on the field since.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's related, you know, to the blood clot issue that he had before, or if it's a you know, some type of injury that he sustained. But there was a moment in practice last week where he fired his helmet and walked off the field, so he was upset about something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well it sounds like he's gonna be individual drills at least, so that you know, positive sign it is not something that's going to keep him out of the mix. I mean, kind of the funny injury thing to keep an eye on his his Julian Nashby was out yesterday suddenly.
Speaker 1: Never really seen that happen before the ankle.
Speaker 4: Injury brought back Nico Lalos.
Speaker 1: You know you have a that's.
Speaker 4: Why you got those long snappers on on speed dial. But yeah, just cantinuing to watch all those guys today. It should be you know, just going back to sorry, Paul, real quick. With the Alec Pierce thing, I think that's a big thing for me is like A J. Brown hasn't really been deep on Christian Gonzales and even in the micd up you heard him and Drake kind of talking about it.
Speaker 1: That's Alec Pierce's game.
Speaker 4: That would have been a really interesting matchup to watch if if Gonzalez was able to, you know, keep the clamps on him over the top, that would really put a hamper in.
Speaker 1: So who is the Cold's best cornerback right now?
Speaker 2: Well, of course Various war is a good player and he's one hundred percent, so you know that'll be a good I'm assuming they'll put him on a J.
Speaker 1: Brown, but you know we'll see that in Yes, he expected to practice.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, you go up and down to Colts roster. They they've got some star players, you know, DeForest Buckner, Jonathan Taylor, Tyler Warren at tight end obviously saw us as a star player. So they they've got some household names on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: Indie Nopp, I mean, we it's easy to forget because the Colts kind of fell off after Daniel Jones got hurt and all.
Speaker 1: That eating too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were the number one seed in the AFC for a while.
Speaker 1: And I don't think that was a fluke.
Speaker 2: I Like you said, I think they've got some real good talent on this team. Like Paul said, a lot of it is run based. Jonathan Taylor is probably their most valuable player on offense.
Speaker 1: But you know, Daniel Jones is okay, he can Well, we'll.
Speaker 6: See about that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that if we're gonna say, is it wasn't a fluke, it's gonna be was Daniel Jones's ten game sample size a fluke or not. But Shane Stike, in their head coach, is one of the best play callers in football, does a really good job, really quarterback friendly. They run a similar system to what the Eagles do. So there's gonna be a lot of RPOs. There's gonna be a lot of quarterback movement in the backfield, moving pockets, things like that. And they did that a lot with Daniel Jones last year off that run game, and it really kind of simplifies it for the quarterback. You know, it's a lot of one red throws, a lot of half field reads on the boots you know, so there's not as much drop back progression passing on. Daniel Jones has played as maybe there is another offenses and he excelled in it. You know, he was able to use his athleticism, his arm, you know, and really excel in it.
Speaker 2: So as you can see, the Colts will be in white, the Patriots will be in blue today. So I know that when the Patriots are among themselves, it's white blue offense, white defense blue. But here you've got all the Colts in white, all the Patriots in blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The you know, going back to last year's joint practices, one of the themes that we saw a lot with this defense that we thought they had trouble with were screen passes and tight ends, and you know, I think those are two things that the Colts do very well, certainly with Tyler Warren. That's that's a big piece I'm going to keep an eye on today of you know, I almost thought last year that it's maybe a weakness in this defense where they're so aggressive that at times, you know, they will get their aggressiveness used against them when with screen passes and those kind of things. You know, Brabol kind of says, you just got to put your foot in the dirt and go get the ball as soon as you recognize it. But those are two spots, especially going back to the Minnesota practices last year that you know, and I think even carried over av into the regular season a little bit.
Speaker 1: With the tight end stuff.
Speaker 6: The tight ends is definitely true.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know how much running back screen they'll see from the Colts or like a perimeter bubble screen type of team. But in terms of the tight end, obviously there's Warren's one of the best, if not the best, in the NFL soon sooner rather than later. So he's a problem. And how are they going to cover tight ends? And it's not exactly as cut and dry as like a Belichick defense or you knew you had one guy like a chunk that was going to be on the tight end all the time. This defense kind of does it more by committee. You know, sometimes even the linebackers get caught in coverage on tight ends. So those those are things that they're gonna see. They're gonna see, you know, a J. Barner out of the gate. They're gonna see Dalton Kincaid. They're gonna see tight ends that can make plays in the passing game, just like Tyler Warren.
Speaker 2: So as far as our coverage today, we're allowed to be live through five, which from what I understand, will be a team drill, So you'll see a little Patriots versus Colts in that period and then we will shut off, but the rest of the practice will be covered afterwards. We'll do the camp cast afterwards, so you'll get everybody's opinions on what happened after period five on that on Patriots dot Com and Patriots Social.
Speaker 1: So it's a big day here.
Speaker 2: We're two days away from the first preseason game on Thursday. It's hard to believe, but here we are. Summer is officially over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're in the preseason. But the joint practice preseason part those first couple weeks.
Speaker 1: Of training camp.
Speaker 4: I feel like those you know, they're fun and it's exciting to get back out here and watch a little football, but you quickly turn the page to wanting to see, you know, these joint practices, which to me is the highlight of the summer, getting to watch these control atmospheres, the good against good. You know, I know it'll be a little bit of a slog when we get into the fourth quarter on Thursday night.
Speaker 1: With some of the backups.
Speaker 4: But this here, today, there's not a moment that that's boring, and you know, really looks like there's a you know, good crowd already turning in away.
Speaker 2: Drake May May out in the field, and as Rabel revealed in his press conference, he he most likely will not play in the preseason game, so this is an important practice for him in the offense.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I like what Evan said, you know, be nice to kind of I mean that's what I came out of when I missed that practice. It was like, wow, it feels like today Drake May reminded everybody that he was an MVP runner up last year, and you know, hey, look this is a joint practice.
Speaker 1: This isn't the super Bowl or anything like that.
Speaker 4: But it'd be nice to see him have a good day, have a kind of day that you know they can build off of. They can build some confidence, especially with Romeo Dobbs, who you know has really been coming on the last couple of practices. Can they keep that momentum going here, you know against another team to good to see?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you want to write in you can do that.
Speaker 2: Podcast at Patriots dot com is the way to email us during the show. We'll get to those in a little bit, but we are sponsored by Toyota dot com. Up your game by going to Toyota dot com to see the best selection of hybrid all wheel drive in four wheel drive vehicles of any brand. Toyota is the official vehicle of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: Toyota. Let's go to joint practice. We're here, We're here, We're here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got here in our Toyotas. So all right, see a little uh backup quarterback action.
Speaker 6: Tommy Tommy cutlet's Tommy too.
Speaker 1: Has been good, Yeah, he's been good.
Speaker 4: I mean just you know, universal kind of talking to anybody down there that you know, all the beat writers, everybody that's been covering this practice has you know, been pretty impressed with the job that Tommy DeVito's done here in his second year with the team, which I mean it was I still remember so crystal clear last year in that final preseason game against the Giants and being like, she's Tommy DeVito's carving us up a little bit here, and they went out and grabbed him and then season made him, made him the backup.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he's made the most of this opportunity for him. He's got a live arm. Evan said, he can drive the ball. He can drive it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, you know, I I think he's done a pretty good job, even going all the way back to the spring, just some of the throws that he's made or right up there with some of the better throws we've.
Speaker 6: Seen in practice.
Speaker 5: But I wonder too, you know, I was mentioning the chemistry with the new guys, how many reps last year in practice to Tommy DeVito and Efton Chisholm and Kyle Williams, and like, I'm probably a ton, you know, because those are the reps that guys were getting at that point in practices last year. So you can see the difference, I think in terms of how much de Vito has probably worked with a lot of those guys on the second team offense versus you know, how much Drake may has worked with these new receivers that are around him right now on the first team offense.
Speaker 6: The second team offense has been fun to watch in practice.
Speaker 5: They've made some big plays, they pushed the ball down the field, But I think some of that might have to do with the fact that he's throwing the guys that were all here last year that he was working.
Speaker 2: With Henry Newly inked a little bit of extra money in his pocket pitching.
Speaker 7: But look at the crowd there, like filling in, Like Mike said that people, you know, people are coming. I think these are their their opportunities to see. I think it's it's more of a controlled you know, you can control the young controllables. You know, you can set up a two minute drill, you can set up down in distance and things that you want. You can set up if you want to dial up a specific blitz that the other team can run at a specific time, see.
Speaker 1: How you handle it.
Speaker 7: So I think that's why the coaches like this setting more than the game switch. You know, I kind of told you for a long time somewhat meaningless.
Speaker 4: Well, I tell you today, I take some precautions there. With Hunter Henry, I just think he's so valuable to this team, and you know, I think it's a work in progress behind him, with Eli Raredin and Tanner Arkin, who are getting up to speed. I think they've shown some positive moments, but I still think it's very scary to imagine no Hunter Henry and having to somehow piecemeal it together with Eli Raredin and Tanner Arkin.
Speaker 1: You know, I've high.
Speaker 4: Hopes for both those guys that down the road they can develop into into a nice kind of one two punch there behind Hunter Henry. But it's hard to imagine what this offense looks like without Hunter Henry, and and and how the chaos that would kind of ensue by not having him in the mix.
Speaker 1: Has shown good hands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Raandon's had a good camp. I just and I know I get craft for this, But the rookie tight end position is one that's slower developing unless you're like a Tyler Warren that was drafted high highly in the first round.
Speaker 6: I pulled the numbers the other day.
Speaker 5: Rookie tight ends last five years that were drafted on Day two of the draft averaged twenty six catches a season. Twenty six. Now there's some outliers, you know, Harold Fannon was an outlier, you know, Mason Taylor with the Jets last year. I think I had around forty, but it was on like you know, Paul's things like nine yards of.
Speaker 6: Catch, right, so he's catching a buck.
Speaker 5: Terrible team, Yeah, a bunch of checkdowns and dump offs, you know, things like that. But for the most part, that position is year one is kind of a feeling out process because of how you know, heavy of a mental burden is on that spot. So I think Eli Riordan has shown that he's going to have a role, and Tanner Arkins shown that he's going to have a role.
Speaker 6: I would just caution.
Speaker 5: Against thinking that he's gonna have some like Gronk like rookie year where he's putting up massive numbers right out of the gate.
Speaker 6: No, but I think I.
Speaker 5: Think I don't want people to be disappointed because I think we're hyping him a lot in these practices.
Speaker 1: Are we hyping him a lot? Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 5: I think that he's getting a lot of hype, and I think that something who's doing the hyping everybody?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? I don't know. I haven't, honestly, I haven't really.
Speaker 2: I've heard that he's, like you said, he's had a good camp, But I haven't heard people saying, oh, he's going to be you know, you know, nipping at the heels to be the number one tight end.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard anything like that of you. No.
Speaker 5: I but I think that we're hearing that he's having a good camp. But people hear that he's having a good camp, they think that he's going to have fifty catches. And I'm just trying to tell you that that would be an outlier season for a tight end drafted in the third as.
Speaker 2: A run I'd be happy if he becomes a viable option when needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, that's it. That's it.
Speaker 2: Just just just be just be reliable when called a.
Speaker 4: Little red zone, little you know, little third down package form.
Speaker 5: I think you're looking for the explosive plays from him, Like Hunter Henry is going to move the chains. Hunter Henry is going to be a consistent, you know, security blanket for Drake May. Eli Ardin's thing in college at Notre Dame is that he averaged over sixteen yards of catch. He had eight plays of twenty plus yards last year at Notre Dame. That's not Hunter Henry's game anymore at thirty one years old, you know, getting down the field, getting up the seams, things like that. So can eli riard and add that to the offense, can he can we call him takeoff routes right and running the seams. You're running crossers, you know, things like that where he's just winning foot races across the field at twenty twenty five catches. Can he average fourteen yards a catch and be one of those types of guys. It might not be high volume, but it's something that they can get some chunk plays out of.
Speaker 4: I mean, after watching Devon ASIASI and Don'ton definitely looks better than the Sorry did I say, did I say Dalton Kincaid was Dalton? We had a different Dalton I believe, but no, yeah, Dalton Kilton Keene.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Paul.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, those those guys were quiet. Didn't see a lot of this kind of potentially you've seen from Meriden. But you know, I just think it's uh, it's like a lot of these guys. I think getting up to speed in the offense and being able to play fast and you know, be consistent, those are the biggest things for those rookies earning the trust. And I mean I like what you're saying. I think there's a spot for those guys, and most likely in Tanna Arkan when eighty four comes on the field is probably going to be a run most likely, but maybe they can eventually get away from that kind of overly specialize. This guy's out here, it's a past. This guy's out here, it's a run. But you gotta love this the size and the athleticism that that Rariden has out there.
Speaker 2: We just saw Milton Williams coming up the center of that defensive line.
Speaker 1: See a captain candidate you think this year?
Speaker 6: Sure? Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 5: You know they he's, in my opinion, you know, one of their best players, if not the best that they had last year. I mean it's between him, Drake and Gonzales for that. And I think that for him though, what I always stands out to me is how much energy he plays with, Like he plays with a real motor. That I think is exactly what Mike Rabel is all about. Like that's what he wants out of players, That's what he wants as like an example.
Speaker 6: So if you're trying to think about.
Speaker 5: Captains, and I would say that that's sort of the type of guy that would be a captain material to Mike Rabels, you know him, Robert Splaine, like guys that just play all out all the time.
Speaker 1: I like the two of Williams. He's not really a raw rock guy.
Speaker 4: He's just a straight faced ball guy that loves football and you know, super serious.
Speaker 1: Lets his play to in the talking. But what a slam dunk signing.
Speaker 4: I mean, you knew it was a slam dunk signing when they signed it, but when you realize how they want to play and what they want to do, it's even more of it.
Speaker 1: I loved last year.
Speaker 2: It was during the or beginning of the playoffs, somewhere around that time in fortune Foxborough postgame locker room scene and Rabel's talking and he said something like, you know, listen to me or something, and they they cut to Milton Williams and Milton who says, I'm listening, you know, like it just made me feel good, like he had totally bought into this program. Yeah, he was a very high priced free agent, and there were questions when he came in because he hadn't had that many snaps per game that he was expected to have here, and so there were questions about, you know, his durability and how he would do, and he was consistent throughout the whole season. I think that was probably one of the best free agent signings the Patrons have made in a long time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree, So I had questions about him playing the run playing a full time player, and he's been exceptional in both against the run end the past.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, such a.
Speaker 5: Physical player for a guy that's not very big for that position. And I know, you know, he's big for everybody else, but you know, he plays at like three oh five maybe, and like that's not huge for defensive linemen, and he plays with so much power power, his.
Speaker 1: Hands are fast leverage.
Speaker 2: I'm a little disappointed Barmore is not going to be out there today with him, because I think when they're both healthy, that that's the strength of this team. Yeah, that interior.
Speaker 1: Line, I mean, I'm probably forgetting one.
Speaker 4: But you know the second week in Miami that that big sack to you know, basically, I think it what ended the game. And then against the Chargers, big sack at the end, they really you know, being that closer.
Speaker 1: I think that's you know, some guys.
Speaker 4: Can can play well, but you can step up in those big moments, especially, you know, I look at that game in Miami, which I think rab Will you know, pointed out too is just being impressed that his team was able to bounce back and pull out a win. Last year on the road in a really really hard place to play. I mean, we all know Patriots record down there in Miami and how how hard it can be to get wins down there. But that to me, Milt Williams stepping up in those big moments, making those big plays, that's just you know, that's like the cherry on top. And not all only is he great player, but he's he's making game changing plays at the end.
Speaker 2: Josh McDaniels and Mike Rabel going over last minute plans, but as Rabel said in his press conference today, it's all mapped out. Yeah, they they've scripted this whole thing, and I'm sure that both teams have shared their scripts. Maybe you know, not the plays themselves, but yeah, you know, we're gonna in this period, this is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've seen enough of these now that they're all kind of the same. You know exactly what you're gonna expect. They're going to be some stretching, you're going to walk through some stuff of what you want to do.
Speaker 1: Then you're going right into one on ones, you know, and then after one on ones, you're gonna have a middle team period.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have some red zone periods, and you know, like I said, that two minute drill at the end is.
Speaker 1: Usually the most fun. But you know, I go back to Evan.
Speaker 4: We were in Vegas after we hiked our way through the desert to find an in and out.
Speaker 1: The next day we were recovering.
Speaker 4: But you know, that was a good That was a good performance by Mac Jones and the Patriots offense.
Speaker 1: I remember they you know, had a big touchdown at the end of the two minutes drill. It was probably maybe the high point.
Speaker 6: What wasn't a good practice.
Speaker 4: The whole thing was terrible, and then they have a good two minute drive at the end and they score a touchdown and you're like, all right, maybe it's not quite as bad as we think it's going to be.
Speaker 1: But guess what it was that way to bring it down.
Speaker 7: Well, sorry, but you know it's just you give me that. He makes it sound like it was exciting. That was the most exciting thing. That whole story was the in and out trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a long while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were like we can walk it and it's like one hundred and twenty degrees in the you know, Vegas desert, and we overestimated our abilities.
Speaker 2: Podcasts at pagries dot com is the way to email US football. Flynn Rights in a big fan of Land Larison, wondering if you guys had some predictions about if he'll make the roster.
Speaker 5: I think that him and Terrell Jennings right now are probably the most likely to win the third running back spot. But I think that spot in particular, you know, maybe not so much with the other positions, but preseason games where you're actually tackled guys to the ground, I think is maybe a little bit more important at running back. It's it's hard to evaluate that position in practice because you're not evaluating tackle breaking and how they finish runs and things like that. So it's harder to evaluate maybe one of those undrafted rookies Miller or or I guess he's a seventh round pick, Miles Montgomery, the undrafted rookie.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: They maybe they make a push.
Speaker 5: In the preseason games and that makes the coaching staff take a longer look at them in practice. But right now we've seen a lot of Terrell Jennings and Lynn theirs and with the second.
Speaker 4: Team, Yeah, Terrell Jennings like right in the mix, Like after he got back in it Paul A couple of summers ago, we were we were kind of on a team Terrell Jennings. I felt like we kind of left, you know, we saw some glimpses of him. I always kind of like him, Like he got back out here, and I'm always geez, he's got pretty good size.
Speaker 1: He runs kind of hard. Yeah, for an extra running back.
Speaker 7: He does like he's not flashy, he's just sort of straight ahead, straightforward.
Speaker 1: H you know, he runs hard. You know, at some point.
Speaker 7: He's got to show some consistency and he's got to stay healthy. So those are the things that have really held him back a little bit.
Speaker 1: Is I think he's.
Speaker 7: Had some concussion issues, and obviously those are unfortunate and they need to be taken seriously. But you know, when he's out there, I think as a backup, I think he fills the role fine.
Speaker 1: RB three. Yeah, Yeah, I agree with Evan.
Speaker 7: I don't necessarily think you have to go out of your way to save that roster spot. You might be able to manipulate the practice squad rules a little bit with that, but I have no problems with general.
Speaker 1: A little scan of the field's house here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, i'd see the two to Evan's point, there's not a lot. You know, the preseason can be a little bit tough to watch the times, but I do think the running backs with actual tackling, that's you know, one position to watch when you get into the preseason game.
Speaker 7: So you know, who's the guy that left the NFL and rushing a couple of years you know, Ralph Webb. It's a lot more than a couple of years ago, now, Ralph, Ralph Webb. It wasn't him.
Speaker 1: It was a guy.
Speaker 7: There's a guy from San Francisco, Well that came here and just ran all over everybody. And I'm not somebody's got to get the someone's got to get the carries in the preseason, Yeah, but get tackled.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying a you know, fourth quarter of the preseason game that I'm gonna put much stock into you know, which undrafted rookie running back is going off. But I don't think that you can get a whole lot out of practice at that position.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, totally. You guys are right about that.
Speaker 5: I mean, maybe, like if you're watching the film back and you're seeing you know that they picked this blitz up and were they in the right gap and like all that. Maybe like you can get into that kind of stuff, But and.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't dismiss if you've got a situation where like Larison is out there, let's say Thursday night, so it's no Drake May, but Tommy DeVito's out there, and he's got a semblance of the offensive line. So let's say Will Campbell, Jared Wilson and mikel Went who were playing maybe Moses and Barret Tucker. Don't you know when Larsson's out there at the start playing against a semblance of the Colts starters on defense and he shows a little flash, I would say there's something to be gained by that, Yeah, as opposed to you know, once the game continues and it's threes against threes, right, My threes are better than your threes. That that's taught me Devido in the Giants game last year.
Speaker 6: That's when the.
Speaker 5: Next gen is on the overdrive because they have the players that are on the field and actually tells you in real time who's on the field. And you start to see some of the you know, Sonny's car wash people, Paul.
Speaker 7: Some of us Fred just look look down and we're like, oh, yeah, he's a third stringer, right, Yeah, some of us have to go to next gen to do it.
Speaker 1: But you know this is this is where he's studying the chief step chart.
Speaker 6: Good Paul, Sorry, sorry for doing my job. I'll see myself up.
Speaker 1: Well, there's different ways to do the job, that's all. The works smarter, it works, works smarter, not hotter.
Speaker 2: Paul and Germany writes in at podcast at Patriots dot Com.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the vibes.
Speaker 2: I'd be interested in your opinion, especially now after the Henry extension. Who do you think will be extended after the twenty sixth season? And he's got a list of six Douglas, I think a lot depends on how they do this year, right Booty, I don't know if he'll be on the team.
Speaker 1: Hollins, Yeah, what does that mean? I mean, what is that grunt me?
Speaker 4: I think these are all really interesting conversations they have, and I think a lot of it is based on you know.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Pop Douglas has been great in camp. Paul pointed out he's been great in camp before, but I don't know. I kind of have high hopes for him and could see maybe him earning an extension perhaps.
Speaker 7: So I have a little update off the Twitter machine. You know, we're up here. We're trying to do our best to see who's here. Some of the Patriots writers are reporting right now that they have not seen Christian Gonzales yet, which I think is an interesting subplot to this Kumbai yo the last two and a half weeks, Well, do.
Speaker 1: You think the fact that Pierce isn't here?
Speaker 2: Like I said, no, but Sarah's like like, why yeah, Like what am I really going to gain from today? I could get hurt because you know, we're going against another team and it might be a little bit more intense than when I'm going against my teammates.
Speaker 7: The last part true to drive out Why risk it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean I said to Paul yesterday we didn't spot Christian Gonzalez off the bat, and I said, every day I'm kind of holding my breath to see. At what point does he say, Okay, I think I'm kind of ready for the season, and now I'm gonna you know, close it down. Possible it's today, but we'll see he's.
Speaker 1: Insign signing the contract right now and then we'll be out there.
Speaker 7: That absolutely could be the case, and That's why I don't draw a lot of conclusions.
Speaker 1: I just state the facts.
Speaker 7: Mark Daniels tweeted out that absent Christian Gonzales, Mike Brown, veteran safety Julian Ashby, and Kyle Dixon, those are the four guys that he hadn't spotted.
Speaker 1: So I'm just stating that off the tweet. I'm not saying why balis.
Speaker 7: But Mike and I did have this conversation yesterday because Gonzo was a little late coming out for him yesterday. He's usually sort of middle of a pack with those defensive backs, and he was very late arriving, and Mike and I sort of started wondering, Huh, he's sent in.
Speaker 5: The stage to not practice, and so I would just say this really quickly, and I because I have to put con He did get banged up on that plays a little bit with Romeo Dobbs at the end of practice, and I watched him go up and down the sideline try I think it was his ankle, maybe turned an ankle, and he was trying to walk it off.
Speaker 6: And you know, obviously I.
Speaker 5: Know all all of Paul's shows in the headlines are going to be is this contract related? Which it very well could be, but I think that there was an instance yesterday where he did look like he got a little bit banged up. And it was at the very very end of practice when Romeo Dobbs made that catch in the back of the end zone. They both went up and when Gonzo came down, he looked like maybe he banged up his ankle or his leg or something. So maybe that's also just you know, precautionary in all directions, right, Like you're a little banged up, you know, without a contract, you also don't want to go out there.
Speaker 2: And let's not forget the Patriots have too joined practices next week with the Eagles, so we may not see Gonzales for a little while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, well we'll see, I mean this weekend they'll have some practices too, so we'll get, you know, a little glimpse in between the two. But yeah, I mean, Calton Davis back yesterday, but I don't know if he's going to be, you know, participating right out of the shoot after being missing some time. I think was what was maybe a hamstring. I think that was what we're speculating. So it's gonna be worked for the for the younger guys. Nothing on Charles Woods, Paul, Sorry, I meant a missed it.
Speaker 7: He's back, but I expect him to be limited the way, you know, far more. And you know, I would assume Davis won't do anything with the Colts too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't think Josh Downs is here.
Speaker 1: Ev Is that right?
Speaker 5: So they said they said that Josh Downs was if you can be questionable for a joint practice, then Josh Downs was questionable for the joint practice. So I'm not one hundred percent sure. But he was also banged up. Al Pierce hasn't practiced all summer. He had surgery in March and hasn't practice at all. But the stiking sounded like cautiously optimistic that maybe Downs would participate now.
Speaker 4: And he was Drake's like go to guy, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, his true sophomore year at North Carolina, Josh Downs was his number one receiver and probably their best overall player on that team.
Speaker 6: Uh, young Drake.
Speaker 5: I remember watching Josh Downs at North Carolina for that draft and uh texting Bart and being like, who's the quarterback?
Speaker 6: They?
Speaker 1: How do we get?
Speaker 5: And we at the time because where you know, uh dumb thought there was no well there's no chance they're going to be picking that high, right, so so you know we're not going to get the motor back. But that was Drake May's best season in college was his sophomore season at UNC, and and Downs was his.
Speaker 6: Go to guy.
Speaker 2: Uh. Tom writes in he wants to know, should fans be excited about the expectations of A. J.
Speaker 1: Brown and Romeo Dobbs?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, you sure, it's you know, it's a pretty good uh. I still still think there's a ways to go with everything that that they can accomplish. But the good sign has been Dobbs coming on in these last couple of practices is and then of course having that big catch yesterday over Gonzales.
Speaker 1: So really positive signs.
Speaker 4: I mean, if those two guys can develop into a complimentary pair where their skill sets match each other and help each other get open, and you know, also help a guy like Pop Douglas maybe get some extra space, especially downfield, I mean that's uh, you know, they could really be cooking with something with those three guys. And you know, going back to your question Fred about who should they resign, it's it's kind of an opportunity to rejigger. I mean, how does Kyle Williams look this year? Kyle Williams has a really good year, you know, are you less inclined?
Speaker 1: You know? Matt Collins, I don't know.
Speaker 4: He's always seems like such a special kind of a guy that they like to do a special kind of a thing. He's bounced around the league, he's had his two years here. Do they kind of say okay, let's let's move.
Speaker 1: On, or do they love special contract? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, I think there's some decisions to make and a lot of it is dependent on how this year goes for guys, especially like you know, if Pop Douglas has a huge year this year, I could see them definitely trying to check keep him around. Yeah, but you got Drake too, and that's the big piece and you got to figure that out first and then you can.
Speaker 1: Probably get to these other guys.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, so much, you know, for these guys depends on what they do this year. And you know, if Pop Douglas has a great year, yeah, i'd give him a little bit of an extension. But like you said, you got a factor in Drake. Yeah, that's gonna be a huge, huge contract.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, if Dobbs, I mean, Dobb's here on a four year deal, so he's you know, we know Brown will probably be somewhere year to year.
Speaker 1: But that's a good place to start.
Speaker 4: If you got Brown and Dobbs and Kyle Williams comes on, and you got those three guys, and you know, maybe Raridan starts to come on a little bit, Chizz Threat and chis him. You know, it's it's a good starting three and you've got some depth then at tight end that.
Speaker 1: You're starting to develop a little bit.
Speaker 4: So I think they'd been in pretty good shape.
Speaker 2: Logan and Myrtle Beach saw an unofficial depth chart on Twitter early and was wondering if there's any surprises on there, Well, we have we don't know what depth chart you're talking about, So how do we know if there's any surprises to us?
Speaker 5: Well, I know what depth chart he's talking about, but it does. It's called the unofficial depth chart for a reason because it has no who publishes it. The pr Patriots pr oh.
Speaker 1: The one on Patriots dot com.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, now, because it's a game week, it's kind of it's out, like unofficially out.
Speaker 2: So it's it's the one on Patriots dot com that somebody put on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that what you're saying, correct? Okay? I mean yeah, there's no surprises there. I mean I would say it's not really going through football.
Speaker 2: So unless it's somebody else's depth chart, I don't know. I don't honestly, I don't know which one.
Speaker 6: You know that's what he's talking about.
Speaker 4: Okay, if it's the Patriots dot com one, Uh, it's more from people like us in content than it is uh in people at football, So I would take everything with a grainsalt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unofficial for a reason. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I was going over other teams depth charts on their official websites, and a lot of teams don't even it in the faux roster of.
Speaker 1: Their depth chart. The cults are one, yeah, culture.
Speaker 7: I was scrambling last week trying to get the information for the magazine and I wanted to see if I could steal one off the website, and they probably only had about twenty five names on it.
Speaker 1: I think they only they don't.
Speaker 2: Put any rookies or anybody that's new to the team right is even on it.
Speaker 1: That's why I've.
Speaker 7: Tried our Lands, but it doesn't translate to the program that we need our our land.
Speaker 2: You have to hour No, it's our last our lads.
Speaker 7: They're not yours, they're not mine, they're ours, but our is a r e.
Speaker 6: This is our lads.
Speaker 4: Yes, uh, you know, one more guy, one more guy, one more guy, more guy on more got to be excited and smiled about what do you got, Mike? You know, even your friend Mike Giardi Paul is excited about this guy. Aj Halsey, rookie safety number twenty five, really liked him. Super physical guy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: She already had a tweet about him, like watched him. Oh my lord, h he's a guy. We'd be careful cross in the middle with him today even though they're not they're not tackling me. He's a really physical guy. I don't know if you really fit the Patriots system, but he was like you know when you watch somebody and you're like, this guy plays with his hair on fire and just tough SB And that's that's Aj Halsey, old.
Speaker 5: School box safety. Yeah, you know, like he's camp chancellor, you know like that. I wonder how he runs, you know, Like that was one thing that I was a little bit worried about if you're gonna play him in the deep part of the field, if you're gonna have him cover tight ends, like was he gonna be able to to keep up in those foot races?
Speaker 6: But he can hit, man, he definitely can.
Speaker 2: So we're watching the Patriots stretch out a little stretching out before they do this before every practice. And while we're watching this, uh just want to ask, did you guys catch Adam Viniti's speech at in Canton?
Speaker 1: He did? I did? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Making some shots yeah, Bill, But now just really cool to see Adam vinentery finally, finally, I mean, what you have to wait one year?
Speaker 1: But you know, I just I've been working on a project for.
Speaker 4: Ninety six and man, it was a bumpy start for Adam Vanitaria. I mean there's by like the third game, you got Jerry Glanville on the radio call saying, if he misses this kick, they got to go find a new kicker, you know. I mean that's how tenuous it was for Adam Vanitaria right from the get going.
Speaker 1: So Paul was that the year. It might have been ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Parcells was the coach, so it had to be ninety six where he in Kansas City. He clanked it off the goalpost, and then Parcells didn't come out for the press, the media.
Speaker 7: A whole different year in ninety five. Parcells didn't come out for the press in Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: Vnitaria didn't become a Patriot until ninety six. He missed the kick in Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Kansas City off the upright. Pete Carroll ninety nine, my first year.
Speaker 7: Okay, may know anything else you want to know, sixteen to fourteen loss in that Kansas City. Ya, I got one more for you part Drew drove inside the ten and lost. Because that's what Drew did. He just somehow found a way that you know, the the greatest kicker in the history of kicking, missed a thirty two yard field goal that would have won the game after like a seventy yard drive long pass to Sean Jefferson got him down inside the ten, would have made four and zero, and then that kind of started things.
Speaker 1: Going the other way. Yeah, got a Paul, Paul, what was the game? Shoot?
Speaker 4: We were just I just watched in ninety six of the TNT night game that they that they.
Speaker 1: Pulled out Buffalo, Buffalo.
Speaker 4: You know what was crazy to me about that game was that Troy Brown had one catch coming into that game, and then all of a sudden at the end, with the game on the line, here's Troy Brown with like three catches out of nowhere, and they're like, where's this guy been all year?
Speaker 6: Kind of an.
Speaker 4: Interesting start for Toroy Brown there. It was another kind of thing that stood out to me.
Speaker 2: Troy Brown was cut twice in his first year by Parcels.
Speaker 1: And was he a rookie in ninety six?
Speaker 4: No, ninety five, So he's been around.
Speaker 1: I think he was rookie in ninety three. Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh man, it was part I think it was Parcell's first.
Speaker 1: He's another like Edelman kind of think it was an eight round pick in ninety three. Water treaded water for.
Speaker 4: A couple of seasons until he was able to build up Patriots Hall of Fame career.
Speaker 7: Now, like at the time, you know, Terry Glean comes in. They had Sean Jefferson, they had Ben Coates. Vincent Brisbee was a pretty productive guy for them. Frisbee, you know heading into ninety six. He pulled a hamstring in ninety six and barely played the whole year. And they also, you know, Drew through a ton of passes to like Leroy Thompson later Keith Byers, So they had a lot of pass catches at the time. And you know, Troy took a little while to sort of harve out a niche yep, and once he did, I mean, Drew loved him from the start. He wanted to keep him when he was a rookie. He thought the guy had had a lot of potential in ninety.
Speaker 1: Three, that's what sitt out to me.
Speaker 4: And the catches in ninety six, that's what you told me right right when you o over over some double back wine.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Keith Byers h back, yeah, remember that. Ye. Another crazy part of that with ninety six season was him getting cut.
Speaker 4: Keith Byer's getting cut by Miami Patriots. Bring him in like second Amy's theory had like seven catches, you know.
Speaker 1: All over the place.
Speaker 7: But here's a valuable guy for a short period of time in his career, and he did some good stuff for him.
Speaker 2: Aiden in California. I know why Paul likes the Bill City uniforms. The reason is because of the same colors as the diet PEPSI.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that I didn't know what I was stepping into it. Believe me, I heard about it.
Speaker 5: People are appalled, like worse uniforms of all time. I don't know which is completely, which is complete, like.
Speaker 1: Grown men with their uniform fetishes. It's unbelieving one way, right, Oh, I know, I know the two of them.
Speaker 5: I'm not you know, I like style. No, that's that's more fashion. That's barth slant on catch twenty two. You tell me what face masks you know so and so is wearing.
Speaker 1: That's a funny joke. Though they do look like die I can see that. What's wrong with that? It feels like the Homer Simpson thing were good color cod color combination. You hear that. I think the Simpsons might be coming to an energy had that. Oh no, really.
Speaker 2: Talking to the team, telling them what's going to be critical today?
Speaker 1: No fighting? Do you think he knows he says that the way says it. I think you're talking enough.
Speaker 4: You all got your own uh cadences and millionaires.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just I'm flashing back to some joint.
Speaker 4: Practice memories and uh you know, of course the fight here against the Panthers and Dietrich Wise of all people like went went ham.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: But I think one of my favorite memories joint practice, the memories when we were in Green Bay and we were the Patriots were warming up on one field separated from the Packers.
Speaker 2: Movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like quiet. You know, it's almost like it is right now where the Colts are down on the Patriots quiet practice field, and then there are at it's time and we walked through their field house.
Speaker 1: And it's like you're walking into thunder.
Speaker 4: Just the fans are screaming the music and they're just they got there starting eleven on offense on one field, they got their starting eleven defense and it was just like right into it. It Uh, just such a really cool moment, great energy, and then you know she's that practice too. That was one where it was like every other play the second day there was a fight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, that was that was like, that was really cool.
Speaker 5: I mean, then you go to a city like that at Green Bay where football is literally everything there at the Packers And so was that.
Speaker 1: The year the game actually got shortened? Yes, yeah, I supposed to go to Tennessee after that.
Speaker 5: No, it was an Isaiah Bolden concussion. Yeah, but at the end of the very very end of the game. He got hit pretty badly and and they called the game.
Speaker 6: And then Bill said we're going home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we.
Speaker 6: Went to Tennessee.
Speaker 4: I was had because I was supposed to. I flew back to Boston back to Tennessee forget it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So that was.
Speaker 5: That was a good two days though, And it was back and forth, and even then Mac Jones made some plays and yeah, taekwon, right, taekwond got when taekwon got her. Yeah, DeVante Parker on Russell Douglas down the left sideline.
Speaker 7: Oh see the defensive and DeVante Parker. It's amazing it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: We've come a long way, PAULI defensive bats warming up here. And as we said earlier, no Christian Gonzales on the field.
Speaker 1: But there's Carlton Davis at number seven.
Speaker 7: It'd be interesting to see if he comes out at all. But yeah, I mean, I I would be lying if I if I would say I was really surprised, just based on a conversation yesterday, man, Yeah, sure, just.
Speaker 1: Kind of one certain point. I more wonder if if maybe he's signing a contract.
Speaker 5: What happened at the end of practice yesterday It's one thing to practice when your body is feeling one hundred percent healthy, but then the second.
Speaker 6: That there's like a little bit of a scare.
Speaker 5: I wonder if that you know, not to not to yeah, not to make a comparison, but like Jason Tatum in Game seven last year, like as soon as the Celtics were like, oh there, no, you're not playing in this game, And I wonder for Gonzales if it was something similar.
Speaker 2: To I you know, I don't think it wasn't a contract issue. But when Moss came here the first year training camp, he was out there for like two practices. I think he might have tweaked his hamstring a little bit. We never saw him again. I'm good, you know that was it? I mean, just what did last year?
Speaker 4: You know, Mike Crable has been pretty upfront with the media about participation in those kind of things.
Speaker 1: Uh do you think perhaps if.
Speaker 4: It was an injury, he might have said, you know, god's a little I mean, or I'm just speculating here. Might you expect him to cut that off at the pass and say it twasn't and.
Speaker 7: John if no one asked him, because then you know, well, why is it you know, why was he so quick to say that, right?
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, right, you do the dance consistent.
Speaker 6: I just know that this.
Speaker 5: Will get run with for obvious reasons about the contract, and I I think it might be a little bit of call a, a little bit of Colum B. You know, yeah, because when I saw him yesterday limping around and trying to stretch out because you're talking, I was like, uh oh, that's not great, and you know, you kind of make notes of those things. And then he's not out here today.
Speaker 1: So yep, also filling up. Man, if you're a rookie, maybe you play through it.
Speaker 2: But at his you know, tenure in situation, I think, oh yeah, I think, you know, from an agent and from a player standpoint, it's a wise move.
Speaker 7: And that's why I think Yev says, and I think he's right to say, is a little column A and col Um B. If he had signed the contract like last year and this was like the second year of the deal, is maybe yet, Okay, I can be out there, but yeah, I'm not feeling great and I'm trying to get the contract. I need to put my best work on tape.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll dial it.
Speaker 2: Back, not today, coach not today, David Bethlehem.
Speaker 1: Can Ardan block and can ar can catch?
Speaker 5: That's the number one question. I think Ardan can block a little bit. I don't think he's a nothing blocker, and he wasn't at Notre Dame. Maybe a little bit inconsistent, but I thought some of his good run blocking was good, So I I think that there's a little bit there.
Speaker 1: Ark.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's going to catch very many plasses, like end the career, Dwayne Allen is like what he feels like to me, Like if they forget to cover him in the flat or something like that, Like he's going to get a throw here and there, you know, play action and they sell out and they get they get him to bite badly on a play action fake, you know, something like that.
Speaker 2: So there's a Christian Barmore. He's off on his own doing some one on one work. So you know, he looks okay. So we don't know what his injury was, but it's enough where he's not going to be doing any team stuff yet it looks like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean can sign he's back.
Speaker 4: I mean I think he's only miss two or three practices, So it doesn't it doesn't been anything crazy, but you know, it's just it's nice to see that we're beyond the heart palpitations. You know, the blood clots thing.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing that's the first thing to think of when he's not out there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: But the fact that he's out there in pads, you know, doing someone on one stuff, that's a good sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Let's see.
Speaker 2: Chris in Clemson, South Carolina writes in before my questions, I must give the crew some well deserved criticism.
Speaker 1: Ready, Paul, get your thick skin on. I don't have any other kind.
Speaker 2: Fred reminds me of that adduled old uncle wearing socks on his hands, asking everyone if they've seen his sandals, and somehow still ending up running the meeting.
Speaker 1: You like that.
Speaker 2: Paul seems to have a rare talent for speaking at length without disturbing the facts, while simultaneously arguing with absolutely everyone over the most mundane point imaginable that Mike is a master persuader of the completely obvious, whose greatest contribution is his unwavering commitment to the occasional half witted comment.
Speaker 1: It's a talent, really half witted.
Speaker 6: These are pretty brutal. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I genuinely admire how you never let opinions interfere with the facts. Seriously, I wish you guys had more opportunities to ride useful commentary giving your access to the players and coaches, so nothing.
Speaker 1: We give is useful. Sorry, sorry to disappoint you if you're not watching now. Question one, I don't know. I supposed to pay second skin on what happened, but he wants to ask us.
Speaker 6: Questions right now. I thought our opinions were useless.
Speaker 2: Well, I uh, if the Patron's offensive line looks solid against a normal four man front, but rush, I should say, but is inconsistent picking up Blitzer? Should we be concerned that opponents will figure out they can pressure May, force checkdowns and take away the deep ball threat?
Speaker 1: Aj Brown gives us.
Speaker 2: At what point does that go from something they'll clean up to a legitimate weakness.
Speaker 6: Did you watch the Super Bowl?
Speaker 5: Because that's exactly what happened right in the Super Bowl. That's the number one question I have with Drake May going into his third season. To me and I know you know we can argue about it, but that that's not an offensive line issue. That is a that is a protections i Q quarterback at the line of scrimmage type of issue. You know, how are we going to block this if we don't have enough guys to block it and we're hot?
Speaker 6: Where is my answer? Where is my hot?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: Some of that is play design a couple of terms of that as well, but that's it. That's the number one question because they're going to keep blitzing until they can prove that they can stop.
Speaker 4: Any how many free runners you're see in training camp.
Speaker 5: Too many, Mike and I It bothers me every single time I see one, because I'm like, is this what Seattle did and exposed it? Shouldn't we take all off season to work on this? So that definitely remains a work in progress.
Speaker 4: The Marcus Jones delayed blitz Craig.
Speaker 5: Woodson just right in the B gap. It's like Devin Witherspoon flashbacks on my head.
Speaker 2: The second question that Chris had with the Colts joint practice, how much should we judge the Patriots by how they win rather than simply weather they win. If May handles pressure, the old line communicates well Brown wins against coverage and the defense generates four man pressure.
Speaker 1: That's encouraging.
Speaker 2: But if we don't see those things today, how does that reframe the question when we get to the Eagles, At what point do we stop saying it's just camp and start calling it a real weakness that good teams will attack. Well, I think I think yes, the context matters. You know, completing a pass isn't always good if May has to run around in order to do it. Yes, we know he can extend plays, but you like to see the play executed as it was drawn up. And if he's running around because there's pressure, that's not necessarily a.
Speaker 1: Win if he completes the pass. You know.
Speaker 2: Conversely, if Daniel Jones does the same thing, but Milton Williams is in the backfield, then you look at it the same way. So yeah, you have to look at everything you see in context.
Speaker 5: I mean, maybe like a little over complicating it. I would say, like it's just practice. Like I'm not probably not going to like hold too much against them, unless it's like that Eagles during practice a couple of years ago, or they get their butts kicked, I'm probably not gonna be off.
Speaker 6: The season's over. They lost the cold.
Speaker 1: That was real.
Speaker 7: That's what he's saying, unless it's something like that, it's just so apparent that there's one team playing NFL ball and the other teams.
Speaker 2: So let's look at some of these one on ones that have gone Just saw Milton Williams. What do we have here, Corey Dirton there, Yeah, going against little.
Speaker 1: Drake May back to the one on one.
Speaker 2: That's it Farmer Farmer against Matt gun Cos. Yeah, we call these the mono amano. These are some of the more interesting things to watch in camp, whether it's joint or when the Patriots are amongst themselves, because it truly is a one on one battle and it gives you a good indication of who's doing what on the pass rush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's be tough drill.
Speaker 4: I mean, crowd's going a wild for some of the one on ones over there, which Evan is charting for us and give us an update.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is the stuff.
Speaker 4: I feel like that it's good for the players individually, but for fans, you know, overreacting especially nothing to get more overreaction than one on ones in practice.
Speaker 7: I mean the first look at officials. By the way, just spotted one of the stripes I want to ge down and you want to go out right right, maybe later, but just an impossible drill for the cornerbacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah. A lot of passes get completed.
Speaker 7: And I also think it's you know, the one on ones, even with the linemen are very misleading. Like you saw Draymond Jones do this dramatic slant to the inside.
Speaker 1: Well, there's other guys there right.
Speaker 7: In a real game, Like, there's not a clean path to go, like parallel to the line of scrimmage to run around the.
Speaker 1: Tackle, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, if you're not completing ninety percent of these, and we just saw the Patriots miss two in a row.
Speaker 1: It's not good. I mean I just felt like it took uh, yeah, the receiver has a big advantage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it took Eli a wilde to.
Speaker 1: Keep going on that one.
Speaker 5: I would say that wide receiver one on ones have zero value. I don't really know why they do them. I think that they're useless. Like you have help defenders, you have a pass rush, there's a million other factors that go into a play that doesn't account for.
Speaker 6: But people love them. People, people eat them up.
Speaker 5: They absolutely love them, at least the one on ones with the offensive and defensive lineman is a little bit more game like I would say, but.
Speaker 1: It is good like for the it's it's good for technique.
Speaker 7: It's the you know, you get you're running your routes and you want to make sure that you're you're sharp in your routes with somebody covering you that doesn't know what route you're going to be running.
Speaker 1: You know, that's what it is. We're watching U beat with a little spit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, left tackle the ninety one.
Speaker 6: That's root pick reptich.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had Will Campbell two and zero in his reps. He looked pretty good. Vera Tucker beat to Forrest Buckner both times as well. He looked pretty good.
Speaker 1: That's good too. Ben Brown looking decent there, so we'll see.
Speaker 5: Uh Lomu lost his first one there against ninety one and then James Hudson on James Hudson skates.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So the James Hudson thing to me like he's been at guard now for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think they're priming him for just a versatile backup role where he can play four spots.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's after Kate Wallace was traded.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's happened more and more of these days when they get you get a report in the morning that the guy's gonna get released.
Speaker 1: And then all of a sudden it becomes a trade in the afternoon fall start there on. Rupstich has a better rep.
Speaker 5: It seems like with Lomu to me that the high side spear, the outside speed is not as problematic for him. He's got good feet and he can run guys by the quarterback. It's when he oversets and gets those inside moves that that's not uncommon.
Speaker 1: Like sounds familiar.
Speaker 5: Will Campbell struggle with that a lot last year too in rookie Minnie Camp, rookie training camp. So I'm not totally surprised that that's his issue, because you know it's a young lineman. But those are to me, the more glaring, decisive losses come to those inside moves from Lomu.
Speaker 1: Ben Brown had a good rep there.
Speaker 2: There's Hudson again, you know, back to the receivers, Pat and Whitesburro New York rites in.
Speaker 1: Like Evan to clarify something a little bit.
Speaker 2: He made it take the other day that keeping Booty would be beneficial because Dobbs is still a small sea concern. But it was my understanding that they were trying to get Dobbs into that digs role and with Booty primarily only playing X in the NFL, has Booty been getting some reps inside where he could back up Dobbs or would that mean AJ Brown would go inside and Booty would go outside?
Speaker 6: I think either one.
Speaker 5: But I look at you know, Dobbs and Brown right now as your base receivers. You know, those are the guys that are your your base receivers and whatever formations you're in, whether you're in a two tight ends said a twenty one personnel with the full back, you know, those are your base guys. And you know, I think Booty, whether he's playing X Z wherever, I think he could be a base receiver in their offense. So it's just a little bit either way, whether it's you know, a J. Brown injury insurance, Dobbs insurance and if that doesn't pan out the way we hope it does. Like either way, I think Booty is insurance for that kind of role.
Speaker 1: Is rare it in with a catch, like to see that ball out in front of him a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these are these are tough as there's so much going on yeah. Uh.
Speaker 1: Nick Dejenaro got gotta hold on to that. Twenty three.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the couple updates.
Speaker 5: I had Lomu one on one, he won the second rep, lost the first one. Marcus Bryant all so one and one. So those two guys, I don't know how to feel about that, but it does feel like those two guys are in a little bit of a competition right now for that third tackle spot. I think you would probably say that there's any if it's close at all, it's probably gonna go to Loomu as a as a first round pick. But we've seen Marcus Bryant get more of the work at right tackle lately.
Speaker 1: Pop Douglas having a good camp.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I mean I if Pop Douglas can't win a route when there's one on ones, then right's in trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a good catch too, you know.
Speaker 4: I just I see it a little bit as a positive, and I know the future is probably Lomu.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: But you know, Marcus Bryant was here for a year, he was a seventh round pick. He's had some development. I just you know, it shows that he improved, that they have some confidence in him, and that you know, it's not another late Day three.
Speaker 1: Pick that's just a total throwaway.
Speaker 4: It's a guy that has some value to them and that you know, there's continuing to find out how good he can be, and especially the tackle position.
Speaker 1: You can never have too many of those guys. All right, Well, that's going to wrap up our coverage.
Speaker 2: We have to turn our cameras off, but thank you for joining us. We will be back next week, but remember after practice camp cast we'll have the full wrap up of the day there. So once again, thank you for joining us this Live Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Deuce.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 4: If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts like Apple Podcasts or Spotify, So make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots. Thanks a lot.