Speaker 1: The volume. The eighty two game preseason is in the books and is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 3: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 2: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell, Casino w and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins See DKG dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: The playoffs are upon us the best place to watch right there in person. Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace for playoff basketball, which makes getting playoff tickets even easier and faster. Prices on game time app actually go down closer it gets to tip off with killer last minute deals, all in prices views from your seat. The Lord's Price Guarantee game Time takes the guests work out of buying tickets, save even more when you choose a section and let game time. Choose to see the Lord's Price Guaranteed or game Time will credit one and ten percent of the difference. Take the guest work out of buying playoff basketball tickets with game time. Download the game time out, create an account, use code Nightcap twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Creat an account. Redeem code Nightcap night caap for twenty dollars off. Download game Time today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. Hello ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap Olympic Edition Style and Boy Boy Boy. Please make sure you hit that like button. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button. Please, guys, make sure you go out and subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from. And remember, thanks to you, every subscriber matters and this is how we were able to move up the charts like we have thanks to your support. I am your favorite on Shining Sharp Key is your favorite number eighty five, the Route Runner Extraordinary, the Bengal Ring of Fame, Honoree, the Legendary, the Pro Bowl of the all Pro Liberty sitting on. That's Chad o Cho Senko Johnson. And again, ladies and gentlemen, thank you guys for joining us. Please make sure you go check out Shave by Laporte. We have it back in stock. It will not take that long to get delivered to your door if it's not in stores in a city or a state that you're in. So again, thank you for your support and your patients. Please make sure you go follow my media company page on all platforms that Shayshay Media and my clothing company eighty four. That's eighty four spelled out. The link is pinned at the top of the chat. Guys, we told you what we're gonna try to do. We make sure we're gonna try to have current and former athletes to break down some of the Olympics and lady do we have a great interview for you later today, Gabby Thomas stop by. But first, o Cho, I've been trying to tell you. I said, Oh, Choe Thrumia is going to be that Trump is task. I say, what happens if they hit twenty three, they were on pace, they hit fifteen, that was fifteen to thirty. Going in to the board quarter they went over nine and the US team they tightened it down. There was a reason only three guys received an invitation without trying out Lebron James, Steph Curry and Kevin Durant. The committee said, if you guys want to play, you can be on the team. No questions asked, no trials, no anything. And if you look at that fourth quarter, you look at what Lebron did. Steph Curry was sensational, was great, was amazing, Jeff Steph whatever you want to call him, for the entirey of the game, Kevin Durant, and then you got Joe ELLENBII, who had his best game.
Speaker 4: By far, crazy crazy work.
Speaker 1: Now the US will face France in the gold medal round. They trailed by as many as seventeen trailed by as many as thirteen points entering into the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: Oh Joe, I know you was like, damn Unk right.
Speaker 5: Again, listen. I was watching, I was watching. I was watching at the beginning, and I'm watching the game. I'm like, I remember Unk saying, well, in order for Survey to have a chance to win, they got to be efficient, they got to hit they threes and hit they shots. And I'm watching the game, I'm like, ain't no way in hell, based on what I saw in the first half, they not going to be able to keep up this volume of shooting, make it all these shots. If I'm not mistaken, it looked like they went might have been nine for nine, seven, maybe five, whatever it might have been.
Speaker 4: And Curry kept answering back.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm looking like, man, Usa boy, y'all y'all scaring me. Now, y'all scared me because I've been I've been talking trash. I've been talking trash, and it got to a point. Now I don't mean to skip from the first court all the way to the end of the game. It got to the point I've seen people rumbling why Jason Tator not in, why Jason Tator not playing and bead balling Curry balling Lebron doing what he's doing would not be denied. And all of a sudden, I'm like, ain't nowhere in hell these boys listening to Steve Kurk Steve Curry and running and plays man a boy.
Speaker 4: Playing a U ball. Hey, I tell you I swept for God.
Speaker 5: I guarantee you if you talk to Katie, you talked to Steph, or you talked to Lebron. Them boy started doing their own thing towards the end and say, you.
Speaker 4: Know what, we got to win this.
Speaker 5: Them boy were playing AAU ball where they buckled hot man, hot man, get the ball where.
Speaker 1: They buckled down. Well, Steph Curry was pretty much hot and he needed this game because Steph hadn't shot the ball well and he definitely hadn't shot the three ball well, so they really needed him to play like he played today. In today's game, Lebron has been Lebron. Lebron has been incredibly efficient. He's shooting over sixty percent from the floor. He's doing a great job of facilitating. We know he's a great pass of the ball, and he's doing an outstanding job of rebounding the ball.
Speaker 3: Kevin Durant is Kevin Durant.
Speaker 1: He had that one game, but it was you know, he got hot and the first you know, made all his threes and the game was still closer than I thought he should have been. Kevin Durant is Kevin Durant. But Joe Ellenbiid in the fourth quarter. He was sensational. And you look at the way they played Ojo. You look at Kevin Durant get down on the defensive stands. Look that Devin Booker get down on the defensive stands. Lebron Jasons, Hey, let me bang with yo for a little while, and bead you take a guy he he he no thread outside, but let me bange with him. Hey, we'll switch off here and there, but for the most part, let me bage steph in a defensive stance. They knew this was gonna be the upset of upsets. This is not two thousand and four where they sent a young Lebron, a young d Wade, a team that was Hodge Hodge, A lot of a lot of pieces. Talented players, but pieces that didn't fit right. You cannot lose with Lebron, with Steph went KD, with all the Joe l embiid, all these guys. Man, oh Joe, they clamped it down. What did they scored in the fourth quarter? The US out scored him thirty two to fifteen in the fourth quarter, and they needed.
Speaker 4: Hey, that was too close for comfort. Yeah, that was too that was.
Speaker 5: Too close for comfort. And Servia came out. Man, they came out looking so good. Man, I don't know how to pronounce young bull last name right, who was making.
Speaker 4: Fun of who went to mellow when he hit the three mellow boy?
Speaker 5: Listen to them boy from behind? That all well, the boy were looking good. I was like, man, they didn't be served.
Speaker 4: It ain't come to plumb me.
Speaker 5: So I'm nervous. I've been talking trash on him. I got people sending me you know what if usay lose, I'm fin the blame o Jo he jinxed us. I'm like, come on, man, what what I got to do with that? Everybody else cheering for us too, But that was that was.
Speaker 4: A good game. It's just just that that's scarce don't.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: But that's what happens on Joe. I mean, that's you're talking about one game. Team get hot from behind the three, you fall behind. The basket gets bigger, the ball gets smaller, it goes into the baby like all of a sudden, you looking around like damn, damn, yeah, damn.
Speaker 5: I said so when you look at it from a match standpoint, Serbia, I think they messed it very well with us, obviously. I mean the way they played obviously shot they shot great from mid range, they shot great from from you know, from three.
Speaker 4: How does France match up?
Speaker 5: Do you see France as an easier matchup as opposed to Serbia.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Wemby is the neutralizer because Wemby you can stand in you can stand in the land as long as you want to.
Speaker 3: Ain't no, ain't no.
Speaker 1: Three seconds, you can go tend the ball, you can knock the ball off the rim, and so he can do a.
Speaker 3: Lot of that.
Speaker 1: I think the thing is is that, and they haven't been playing Rudy Gobert a whole lot. I think he only played five minutes maybe another game. The game before that he played three minutes.
Speaker 4: But he's a liability on defense.
Speaker 3: Offense, he's a liability.
Speaker 1: But hey, that's neither here north there, but right and at this juncture, damn your feelings.
Speaker 3: We're trying to win gold.
Speaker 1: So I understand, Rudy Gobert, you are what three four time Defensive Player of the Year. You got this big contract. I understand. Jason Tatum, you say, the biggest contract in NBA history. You just won a championship. You on the cover of two K you just on the cover you know, Sports Illustrated. We're trying to win now, so you got a long player playing wide to get over your feelings. We're trying to win this goal. And that's what it comes down to. And Steve Kurk with the guys that hair of the guys that have been in more big moments than anybody, right, especially the Big Three. Now book is played in the NBA finals, Joel Eenbid has never been there. But you needed that presence because, like you said, there's no three seconds. So what did joelingb do? Go banking? But down that side, I said, hey, do what you doing in the NBA doing the NBA Go down inside and make him file you or lay up all up in the basket.
Speaker 3: That's what he did. Book didn't have the shot going outside. He was only two or four. He only took four shots.
Speaker 1: I mean the US shot fifty from the floor, they shot fifty percent from the three. Has stem Curry not being Steph Curry in the first half because.
Speaker 4: And in the beginning, it wouldn't it wouldn't been.
Speaker 1: They would have lost kept him attack because they could always they could always see the tail like they were never able to run and hide.
Speaker 3: And so now and I was like, dang, they get the sixth and the next thing, you know, it's fifteen. It's thirteen fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I believe the play of the game, Oh Joe, they were down, which was like ten, Kevin Durant here the three, and then they get a flavorant on Jokic running over a d and pushing him into Kevin Durant. Now we got three, and then Book comes in here the three. So that's a six, that's two. That's a six point swing right there, yes, right now, right back right back in love again. And you know Lebron, I think Lebron, you know, dipped the shoulder, got a fade away, he drove the basket, Kevin Durant, you know. But Steph was the one that when Steph came off that screen and he shot it the three and I was like, damn. It popped up as a yeah, get in there where they get and when they got in there. And when they got in there, I was like, okay, we got to leave a little breathing room. But yeah, Lebron came down, he found Kevin Durant, and Kevin Durant hit a little what like a fifteen foot JUMPERO gave the breathing room and then they filed Steph and then Steph. That was the end of it. But that was all she wrote.
Speaker 3: That, That was all she wrote. But they needed I mean, you need your O, Joe.
Speaker 1: You do know this was gonna be if Steph Curry, Lebron and Kevin Durant's knowing not on this team. You do know that us not winning goal. Oh yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Can see it.
Speaker 4: You can see it.
Speaker 3: You can see it.
Speaker 4: Well, hold on, how about this now?
Speaker 5: As you say that, you think about how even without the experience, let's say you take Steph, you take Brown, and you take Katie out, and you're replacing with some some of the bench three of your best players on the bench.
Speaker 4: You don't think still.
Speaker 1: Lebron James played thirty two minutes, Steph Curry played thirty three minutes. Kevin Durant off the bench, played twenty four minutes. Yes, sir, nobody else off the bench played more than thirteen.
Speaker 3: That's ant man.
Speaker 1: Derrick White played seven ad play ten, Bam playing ten.
Speaker 3: Holliday played twenty. So they're big guns.
Speaker 1: Lebron James thirty two minutes, Joe LMB twenty seven minutes, Devin Booker twenty four minutes, Steph Curry thirty three minutes, Kevin Durant twenty four minutes.
Speaker 5: But you do you understand what I was asking Now, I was hypothetically speaking if they weren't, if they weren't here, and you were to take Katie, Steph and Lebron out, Let's say they weren't.
Speaker 4: They weren't here. Is there anybody from the.
Speaker 5: Bench, no, that can fill in for the production that they that they have or that they know that they bring.
Speaker 1: To the told No, because ain't nobody shooting the three? Who's gonna shoot the three to keep them attached? Because now, if Steph Curry is not hot in the first half, that's a twenty five thirty point lead. The game's over. He kept them attached. Yeah, he kept at a thirteen point fifteen point lead. That thing was teetering about to go to twenty five third Yeah, quick, yes, yes, no, no.
Speaker 4: I I'm just curious. I'm just curious, and you think.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, everybody's so efficient. Steph shot the most.
Speaker 1: He shot nineteen shots, fourteen of them, fourteen of them were threes. He was nine to fourteen. They needed every shot, they needed every shot.
Speaker 4: He was hitting them. Thinks, Hey, hold on, did you see the one at the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when he turned around.
Speaker 4: Shot it by the bench, and he turned around.
Speaker 3: Before the ball even I didn't know.
Speaker 6: It's good, yes, sir, So that I mean they had ten turnovers. They didn't turn the ball.
Speaker 1: I mean Lebron had two, Embiid had three, Holiday had one, Curry had two, and a man had two. So they didn't have a whole lot of turnovers. They had fix ten turnovers.
Speaker 3: You can live with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but all those turnovers, how many were points?
Speaker 1: Well, but that that's the thing because a lot of times, O, yo, what happens if you turn the ball over, you don't even give your chance, you don't even get the ball a shot up, and now you'll allow the other team to run out on you.
Speaker 3: Right. So, but congratulations to the men's team.
Speaker 1: They win a thriller over Serbia, fight their way in to the gold medal game against France. The US win ninety five ninety one, outscore the Serbians thirty two to fifteen, holding the nine from the three point line. And I believe that was the difference in the ballgame. Great fought, hard fought victory. This is what you want to be in these close games like this, because the last thing you want to do is be in the gold medal match and haven't had anything close.
Speaker 3: They know now they.
Speaker 5: Will take how you did, how you deal with adversity, right, how you respond that versity.
Speaker 4: And they responded real.
Speaker 3: Well, they will they will never.
Speaker 1: They will not underestimate French, the French team because they're in France.
Speaker 3: So you know that thing's gonna be Rutgers Raley.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but they don't have no shooters like Serbia.
Speaker 1: Guys shooter they got when bit they got for it, they got they got a couple of guys that can put the ball to the But oh yo, they've played together for so.
Speaker 3: Long, so long, Yeah, they know.
Speaker 1: I mean, think about it, this team been together less than a month. Yeah, yeah, I know what you can do. But I've got to figure out where you want the ball, where you need the ball. How do we get Hey, they know backcuts and pigs and things like that. And sometimes I think the US overpassed the ball trying to do too much. But hey, right currency, I'm riding my guns. Say what y'all want to say. Yeah, we'll discuss we'll discuss this later. But I love, I love, I love the way the US team played, O Joe. And they win this ball game. Shoot fifty from the floor, fifty percent from the three. They need to do a better job from the free throw line because they only shot sixty four percent from the free throw line. But they hold off of value that the third one of this because you could, Oh, they were they heard, because they wanted to blag. They wanted to go They wanted to go on and be on that network say we beat the big band Americans. But you would have to You'll have to wait another four years for that to have them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and and when that four years come, they still ain't gonna win.
Speaker 1: They still win, So congratulations ust oh, Joe, Yo, Sydney McLaughlin, I told you wins goes on the four hundred hurdles with a new world record. It's the sixth times she's broken the world record since twenty twenty one, a new world record fifty point three seven. She's the first woman to ever repeat at the Olympic chef in the four hundred meter hurdles.
Speaker 3: Only Glenn Davis. No, you don't know who that is, though, Joe, but anyway, only.
Speaker 5: Glynn Wren go ahead one consec what a consecutive goals in the man's side.
Speaker 1: Nineteen fifty six in Melbourne, nineteen sixty in Rome. And then you had Edward Moses the great Morehouse Brad. He won in seventy six to Montreal. We boardcott him a Moscow in eighty and then in eighty four in la he won. And then h I think he won a bronze medal to and sold didn't he. I think he got two goals in the bronze. But he was gonna be heavy favorite, but you never know. Hey, the favorites doesn't always win. But if I'm not mistaken, Ash, I think he got a bronze. He might have got a bronze and and sould Okay, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I asked HI about you about you knew you knew he got a I didn't know. I asked I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I thought he did, though, But he's.
Speaker 1: Regarded as the greatest hurtler because, oh Joe, this jogger went ten years and never got beat over one hundred and ten races and never lost the finals. Right, so I'm trying to think who finally beat it was Andre Phillips or Kevin Young. They track, They didn't cover track like we do now. Don't you know you're gonna peek a man. They got the Diamond League. But the only thing that they only the only thing that you huh yeah, Andre Phillips.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh Joe.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Oh Joe, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say Andre Phillip was the one that broke his streak. I'm sorry, O Joe. But anyway, they didn't cover it like they do now, O Joe. The Olympics was always covered heavily. Even the World Championship wasn't covered like we covered them now.
Speaker 3: And so you know, you had to like pick and choose. I mean you might read it, you might get a glimpse.
Speaker 1: And obviously the American athletes, you know, especially like Edwin Moses, a Carl Lewis, people that did things like that, they talked about him, but for the most part it didn't get covered. But I'm not surprised by this. I've been trying to tell people. They keep trying to make this a rival. It's not a rival. Cabo has never beaten sending them labroni because Ojoe, when you look at it, name something that she does better, then see it. She doesn't have the strength. Sidney is a sub forty nine four hundred meters run.
Speaker 4: She doesn't have She don't have the foot speed either.
Speaker 1: She doesn't have the foot speed. Sidney in the indoor season, she runs sixty meter hurdles. She'll run that, she'll run the she'll run the short of hurdles, one hundred meter hurdles. So she's working on technique. So you don't have the you don't have the strength, you don't have the foot speed, you don't have.
Speaker 3: The technique, So how do you beat her?
Speaker 1: But today the moment Ojo I heard her taking here a press conference, she said, I can't explain that it was a bad day, but the lactic acid at three, at three hundred meters, then at at when I got there, when I got to about three hundred meters, so one hundred meters into the race, ojo, She said, I felt the lactic acid already build up.
Speaker 5: That's precious nerves. Nerves, that's nerves. Yeah, that's nerves. You got to stay you got to stay related.
Speaker 3: Gott to stay related.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if she's one that's not used to the big moment, but see it's used to those big moments.
Speaker 4: She's used to it. Yeah, at the end of the day, it's still just a race.
Speaker 5: When you can block out the point, the fact that I'm representing my country, if you can block out fact that I'm at the biggest stage, block out the fact that I'm at the Olympics, it's just another race.
Speaker 4: And that's the hard part to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can say that's the hard part.
Speaker 1: That's what people say about the air, about the Super Bowl, or it's just another So why why there's seventy thousand people already in the stands, It's two hours before the game.
Speaker 3: It ain't like that right.
Speaker 1: Why are all these people on the sidelines. Why is Denville, Washington? Why are all these famous people standing on the sideline when it's not like that born Oh and you know what, We've never gone on the road for a week before I've been on the location for a week. We normally go at that Saturday to get there round three thirty four o'clock. Oh show, and we back after we've been here a week. M Man said, laid down a blistering time.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about and we talked to Mike about this. I look, no Bobby Curse, I don't know him personally, but I know a lot of the lot of the guys that he trains. I know how he thinks. Bobby wants, he wants his athletes to leave legacies. And could it be a possibility she do both at the at the at the next World.
Speaker 3: Twenties five what she.
Speaker 1: Wanted to move out the hurdles and before hunt it or does she bypass it, says, Okay, I'm gonna do the worlds.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna won the hurdle.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try to get this thing even lore maybe even fifty point ten or maybe even sub fifty and then for twenty eight, I'm going I'm gonna contest to open four. She's only twenty four years of age, so even at twenty eight, she'll still be in her pride and if she stays him. And you know Bobby Cursey, Bobby Cursey. You got Bobby Cursey who trains, You got John Smith his crew, changed tanyath Vermali who trains a lot of females out Dennis Mitchell.
Speaker 3: Who trains this group.
Speaker 1: But knowing Bobby the way that I've known him and studies is athletes, Bobby likes the challenge. Bobby's like, when you talk about my athletes, you talk about what they did, what they've done.
Speaker 3: Nobody else has ever done it.
Speaker 1: And you know, when we talked to Michael, Michael says, nobody had ever even thought about doing it on the men's side until I did it.
Speaker 3: Nobody's even come.
Speaker 1: I mean the Cahunas that you gotta have to even pay, Joe the.
Speaker 3: Foe and the two in the same Olympics.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: We've seen guys and gals drop down their four hundred meters. Sharika Jackson, she was a four hundred meters she got a bronze medal in the World's one year. We see Fred Curley, he was a four hundred meter guy. He dropped down. But to do both. Yeah, that's why that's friend double.
Speaker 3: It's really hard. Anna Cargo she got the h.
Speaker 1: The silver, and the Six years since signing an eye popping seven figure deal with New Balance in twenty eighteen, she's racked up ten major championship. That's Sydney but Glockler Labroni. She's won four US Championships, three worlds now three Olympic goals. She will run on the woman's four by four. So well, hey, you about to get you about to get another one. And I told you that's crazy. Did you see that blistering leg bro I saw, I saw film could got tied up at the mix work at the mix last year with.
Speaker 3: That girl tied up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all but actually thought that she would if they got the baitar And at the same time, y'all actually thought film cabol could run with City.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't think anybody thought that, But they keep trying to make it a rivalry because they need somebody because see it continues to dominate. She continues to dominate year in and year out, at every competition, at every event.
Speaker 4: So they're trying to create a.
Speaker 5: Narrative that that is a rival of hers, because obviously she's good.
Speaker 4: But it just it's just not that.
Speaker 5: And I don't think there's anyone who's going to challenge sit it unless someone just comes out of nowhere that we don't know about out yet. That's that's that's a young what a young prodigy?
Speaker 4: Prodigy?
Speaker 1: You're right, but here, okay, we've never seen anybody that have this kind of combination.
Speaker 3: The row, foot speed, the strength, and the technique.
Speaker 4: And you see and endurance that endurance to that as well.
Speaker 3: You see what she did. She started running forwards.
Speaker 1: Bobby would make a a you're gonna run the hundred, you're gonna run the two hundred to work on your foot speed.
Speaker 3: No, you know what, we're gonna put him in sixty hurdles.
Speaker 1: Bobby will make his He will make him put his athletes in situations where they're uncomfortable. So now, when the moment arrived. Normally, that's one thing you can say about Bobby curses athletes. Normally they performed badwell unless they're injured, and a lot of times they're even Nick Bobby ain't fooling with that's that's that's a rarity for if you if his athletes are, he don't care.
Speaker 3: If it's a world you don't care how big. He says, it's not worth the risk. I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing that. So I have the utmost respect. Quincy Watts, he's another trainer. He trains uh, Michael Norman, he trains Rye Benjamin. So I think Fred Curley is in that group out there too. I don't know if he directly worked with Fred, but you look at Sid obviously unprecedented. Now remember oh Joe, she didn't even contest the world last year. That's why fim Cabo won that world championship. See it didn't contested. She got She will have no world time if Seid contest that. Sein is about to be four four World championship, two Olympic goals. Broke the world record. Six is my record. I broke it, right, it's mine. It's gonna it's gonna be three goals. But go ahead, Oh yeah, she oh, she, she's gonna she gonna run a leg. She's definitely gonna run the leg on there. But I'm impressed by the she she's very, very impressive. Remember she made the Olympic team. What's seventeen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can see as you can.
Speaker 1: Uh, and congratulations said, we got a little something coming for your weight.
Speaker 3: Damn, man, my pockets. How much I'm down.
Speaker 4: Now, ash, how much we down?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 4: Listen, hey, let me tell you what God said. Now.
Speaker 5: You won't forget what it said in the Bible. God loves a cheer forgiver. Whatever the giveth thee come back tenfoldeds God, Hey, don't forget that.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, whatever, God loves the cheer forgiver, all right.
Speaker 4: And what we're doing now, we're paying our tithes.
Speaker 5: And you know what happened when you pay your ties, He allows the cup to run it over after that, so don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: Whatever you whatever, we done have to pay.
Speaker 5: Well for the three weeks these Olympics, we're gonna get back tenfold.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm telling you, my cup, my cup by the empty, it ain't run. He need to puss up in there, couse right now? Hey, that death grand Holloway wins the goals in one hundred and ten meter hurdles. Halloway is the first American to win the hunder meter heard the gold since Ari's merit, the world record holder with twelve point eight zero in London in twenty twelve. He's followed by American Daniel Roberts in second, taking the silver. Freddie Crindton, ranked fourth in the world, couldn't complete the Vodian of suite sweep. He finished sixth. He was a nursing of a dector injury and uh, you know, he even jogged to open the heat and say I'm gonna take my chances. So he kind of got injured in between the trials and leading coming in. Uh Rashid Broadbail of Jamaica took the bronze. Who was that No. Allows one by what five thousands of a second? Daniel Roberts beat broad Bailed by three thousands of a second. Alloway Lan from start to finish. You know, he's got a tremendous start and he rins at a time of twelve point ninety nine. Lou Shan of Chya still holds the Olympic record. So congratulations grab Holloway. I think he's a little upset. I think he wants more sponsorships, he says. I don't have a watch deal. I don't know who goes into track and field. Track and field is not a it's not a sport like football. It's not a sport like basketball, baseball. It's not one of these major sports. So unless you're you saying boat, you know, there's only been a handful of I'm talking about America now. I don't know what the the international I don't know what they get. I don't know what Carston Warholmes make and I don't know. But I'm just talking about Boat, and I know Carl Lewis what he got paid. Carl Lewis was was you kind of like you saying, got the big dollars to go to the meet, show up at the meat Michael Johnson, but you saying it's a different animal.
Speaker 3: So unless you're you saying the likelihood of those big big dollars coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it ain't, but I think I think it is.
Speaker 5: It's possible, though, It's possible to get the big dollars and run track. But you have to be you have to be a personality. You have to you have to you have to force yourself or or be able to force the people to want to see what's going to happen, you have to have some type of uh, some type of uh personality about yourself that it makes those uh companies want to pay because they know when you get ready, when you get ready to run, the visibility of their product is going to be seen on you.
Speaker 4: Right, you get what I'm trying to say. But you have to so you can't just you can't.
Speaker 5: You can't just be someone that that wins all the time, because that does nothing. But when you add the personality and the and like this type of aura or where everyone has to gravitate towards you even look even a little bit of trash talk, I think it's it's kind of frowned upon when it comes to try though. But once you add that personality to anything that you do, and you're good at it. Sky's a limited sponsor, Sky's a limited.
Speaker 1: To THESS like who they like? See it doesn't say a word? You watch see it? She stonefaced when she walks on the track.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're right, it's different.
Speaker 1: Carl Lewis didn't do anything. Michael Johnson didn't do anything. Sponsors like who they like? O, Yo, we can't, we can't. We think we do a great job at what we do. I think we do. I think we put up. I think we create great content. I think we have great graphics. We do a great we do.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 1: We spend a lot of money on graphics and editors and social media. There ain't no lack. But I can't get mad if sponsors wants to spend with Joe Rogan and not us. I can't get mad because they want to spend with New Heights and not us, or busting with the boys or who's your daddy. We just got to careate content and then hope sponsors like, okay, wow, they got a big far. When people know who Nightcap is, they no club they like, they like oh Joe. We think there's a way that we can come together and make something happen, right. I mean, but but if you got if you got in the track and field, think you was gonna make Lebron James money or you you go make Patrick Mahome's money. You you Ojoe you saying won three Olympic First of all, there hadn't been a whole lot of men to repeat the double. He tripled the double. He broke the world record. He broke the world record again. He broke the world record into two hundred, he lowered it again. He ran time. They said at some point in time, the human body can't run that fast. He went sub nine seven, he went sub ninety six.
Speaker 3: He whatever.
Speaker 5: You got to understand. Not only was he winning, he was a huge personality, personality that everybody wanted to watch. When you add that other dynamic to outside of just winning, I don't care if you was a god damn steeple chase.
Speaker 3: Or what's the walk?
Speaker 4: What's the walk?
Speaker 3: What's the one that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you either use a race walker, if you if you're a race walker and you got some type of personality and you add that dynamic to you winning, Oh, they coming.
Speaker 3: They coming, But think about it. His last name is boat. He's faster than he just made.
Speaker 5: Hey, everything everything aligned and you run track.
Speaker 4: Your last name is boat, and you run track and you're fast.
Speaker 3: What we're gonna do with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: The old saying we say, boy, that boy faster than lightning. This mad name. His actual name is, you say boat, lightning? Boat? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Everything something sometimes the stars aligned line, Yeah, they were.
Speaker 3: They were.
Speaker 1: Oh Joe, let's see, I think I'm pronouncing its right. Let's see le Tobogo wins Go Go in the two hundred meters final with a time of nineteen forty six. I believe had he not celebrated, that is a sub nineteen four run.
Speaker 3: Say you say he's celebrated.
Speaker 1: He's the first box swanan to win Olympic and to win go in the Olympics history.
Speaker 3: Is the first box swanan. Wow.
Speaker 1: Kenny Bank took silver, No Allows to bronze Tobogo. He lost his mom about three four months ago. If you look at the side of his shoe, I think it had twelve twenty three eighty. That was the day that was the birthday of his mom. So she couldn't have been more than forty four forty three. Maybe she hadn't had a birthday yet, so she was forty three years of age. Let sile is twenty one if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: So she was fairly young, and it meant a lot. It meant a lot to him.
Speaker 1: What's what gave me pause that Noah could pull this off is that I saw this young man run low forty four in the open four So that tells me he's strong. I don't know, if you miss I don't know. If y'all missed it, but he missed the podium. He ran nine eight, So he has the speed. And if you go back and study, there was a time I think Noah Llows ran like a nineteen fifty. He ran nineteen fifty seven, nineteen fifty four, fifty six something like that. So, okay, he's been running four hundred meters building up his strength. He has the foot speed. He ran nine eight nine eight three ninety eighty four something like that. So he has the foot speed. Now he has the strength to carry that, and he he's running. Mom was pushing in mojo. Yeah, she had her hands in his back. She said, I got you to theay son ah man, Hey.
Speaker 4: He ran a beautiful race.
Speaker 5: Listen from starting to finish, every phase, every transition that happens when you come out of those blocks.
Speaker 4: He did to a t. He did it to a t. He got out beautiful.
Speaker 5: And the fact that he was the fact that he had such a lead by the time that they got to the by the time they got about one hundred and by the time they got about one.
Speaker 4: Hundred and twenty meetings.
Speaker 3: It was a rap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could you could tell it was a rap because but nobody was catching it.
Speaker 1: He had Kenny beIN therek Kenny Bank is running, he runs Slub nineteen six. He had him in front of him, so I got something.
Speaker 3: To look at him. Yeah. I just thought that was a lot of.
Speaker 4: Coming off coming off the curve.
Speaker 1: Coming off the curve, that was a lot of distance for North because you got to spend a lot of energy because the ball was a slow polk.
Speaker 3: And they hadn't do so he had strength to hold it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So matter of fact, when I think about it, when I watched the race, and I'm not gonna use the excuse about knowing being sick or having COVID forget all that, I think maybe it, maybe it affected him, but he had so much come out of him when he ran that hundred. If he was the winness two hundred to day, I think he would have had to come out them damn blocks and catch the stagger coming off the curve.
Speaker 4: They would have had to be even. I think they would have had to be even.
Speaker 5: And not him having to come off the curve and then think down the straight away. Okay, you know what, I'm gonna catch people like I do in one hundred on the ladder back half when you can't because you don'et gave him too much goddamn ground coming off the curve. You're not You're not running against nobody slow. You're running against somebody that can maintain their speed as they go.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, let's just say, for the sake of argument, all allows is healthy and Tobogo is running like he did today. Well, they're both gonna be in the low nineteen threes. Yes, sir, they're both gona be in the nineteen three. We're gonna see something extremely special. M I'm just letting because, like I said, I understand. You know COVID. I guess it affects your lungs and your ability to.
Speaker 3: To oxygen make bring in oxygen, get out you know carbon dioxide. I don't. I'm not did you did you?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 5: Did you have I've never had you No, I never had it either, But I mean those that I know that around me. I asked him when during that time, how it made you feel? It made you feel weak?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it made you feel weak.
Speaker 4: You had to drink a lot of fluids.
Speaker 5: So understanding that he had the symptoms of COVID, and then you were able to come out there and run and steal bronze knowing what it does to the body. I mean, I mean commendable, still, commendable still to get bronze knowing that you just tested positive for COVID you know today before that, I mean, no excuse, but it is what it is.
Speaker 1: But we've all had upper respiratory and you know what it's like when you have a upper respiratory.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 1: And trying to play football. I've tried to play football with those man it ain't easy. And I can just imagine. And I'm in Denver, which which exacerbate which that altitude is making it worse. But let's let's give up. Let's see that Tobogo his his his flowers.
Speaker 3: He won.
Speaker 1: I think they got a silver medal a couple of years ago with Rhodesia. Maybe that was twenty that twenty twelve when the Rudigion broke the world record in the eight hundred from Kenya. And I think they have a young Boatswana that got the silver. Okay, they had twelve athletes, they got nothing. In Beijing, they got a silver. This is Boatswana Olympic. Ah uh they got eight hundred meter running. Oh, he got a silver okay, okay, London, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: Hey hey mo, my my my daughter, My daughter says he watching.
Speaker 3: Hey baby, Hey mo, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Tell?
Speaker 4: Yeah mo, you race me too? You you beat your daddy? Can you can make you some money too?
Speaker 3: So oh Joe. They've won a ground total of three medals.
Speaker 1: They've got a silver, a bronze, and now they got Botswana swanna.
Speaker 4: Okay, but what what events though?
Speaker 3: I know, well, obviously they just won the two hundred meters.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, I think I think they want They got a silver in the London game and the eight hundred meters.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: I like it. And he was young too, twenty one.
Speaker 4: Oh well.
Speaker 3: That was what that was? What you call him?
Speaker 1: Right? He's a Botswana yeah mcquali, I mcquala. They have another four hundred meter guy that's really good here. I don't think he medal anything like that, but uh yeah four by four. Yeah, they got had a nice relay team. But Tobogo is is ain't to be played with. He he liked that. He's no, he's really really liked that. So yeah, I understand you've this was an upset because no allows. He's a three time he was a three time defending world champ. He was running some of his best. We've seen him run down Channon Bank at the trials. We've seen him run down area in Knighting. We've seen him beat Tobogo head the head. But today it just wasn't meant to be. Let's see Tobogo gold in the two hundred kenny Baneric silver, no allows, Bronze, Rian Knighting. I missed this podium again with the gout the fourth. He just missed the podium no allows. Revealed after the race he tested positive for COVID, telling NBC he was feeling really, really horrible, but he never considered dropping out of the field. He's trying to win sports first Olympic double and one hundred and two hundred since Usain Boat did it three times in a row in Beijing, London and Rio, the first American, says Carl to do it in nineteen eighty four. Ain't a whole lot of women that's done. It ain't a whole lot of men that's done. It ain't a whole lot of women that's done it right.
Speaker 4: It's difficult.
Speaker 5: That's difficult, man, you know, you know how much any energy you are exerting when you have to win one race and to come back and do it again, then you got.
Speaker 4: A around qualified. That's eight Well, that's but that's a lot on the bottom.
Speaker 1: It is, it is, it's absolutely let's see le okay oh yo. Now it's time for We had a very special guest this.
Speaker 3: Morning on Oh Yeah. Ladies and gentlemen, you're gonna love this. She is believable.
Speaker 1: Trust me, I've slave of her interviews, but to get an opportunity for o Jo and I to interview her, she's unbelievable. Here's I sit down with America's two hundred meter champ gold medalist legend.
Speaker 4: Already, I'm ready, I'm ready. I'm ready, I'm ready. I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Oh Joe, we have a very special guest joining us, the reigning two hundred meter Olympic champ. She's a member of the winning world championship four by one. She ran a blistering third leg. They qualified this morning with the fastest time. Even though they had a little hiccup between t T and herself with the exchange. They're gonna correct that, gonna win another gold medal. We're gonna talk about her possibly running on the four running a leg on the four by four. Welcome us, ladies and gentlemen, Gabby Thomas. I forgot to mention she also has a undergrad degree and neurobiology, and she has a master master's degree in epidemiology.
Speaker 7: Correct, that's right.
Speaker 1: And she's current currently employed at the uh and often where she serves underprivileged, underprivileged women.
Speaker 3: Is that correct? Also?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah, I volunteer at a healthcare clinic where I provide healthcare services to people who don't have health insurance.
Speaker 4: That's dope.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: I have a question what you're doing as much as you're doing, especially when it comes to academics. How do you manage balancing your academics? I mean, hold on, how do you balance manage balance your athletics where their academic pursuits and neurology and sleep how you say how you.
Speaker 4: Say epidemic demology? Yeah, how do you balance the two?
Speaker 7: Well? I think because I started out as an NCAA athlete, you know, all collegiate athletes, it's hard, it's hard to balance it, but you kind of figure it out and you make it work. And so I was juggling a difficult major and track and field. And while when I was running in college track and field wasn't quite at the level that I'm running at now, we were still very committed to it. Like we were we were training like really elite D one athletes, like we were going to LSU or like we rent to Oregon and stuff like that. So I kind of got the ropes in in college and then the transition from college to pro was just it was easier.
Speaker 1: Wow, let me ask you this, how much pressure because you got the bronze at at the last Olympics, you got the silver. If I'm not mistaken, at the past Worlds, you're the face of this big ad with Toyota, you're the face of this now, Cherika Jackson, she steps out, that's even because there was pressure on you to do better than what you did at the last Olympic. Now Sri Rika has withdrawn. Now there's a ton of pressure. We had Justin Gallen, who a world champion and an Olympic champ. We had Michael Johnson, the world champ and an Olympic champ. And he says, sometimes the things that can wait an individual an athlete down is expectations.
Speaker 3: How much what type of bird?
Speaker 1: Were the expectations you of the face of this Toyota ad Okay, gamble you out there.
Speaker 3: Okay, we see you. You better bring home.
Speaker 4: Go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know everyone kept texting me talking about, oh I see you on Toyota everywhere, like before trials, even before I even made the Olympic team. You know, they were showing my face on the everywhere. So I hadn't even become like the Olympian yet. So there's definitely a lot of pressure. And for me in twenty twenty one, like coming from Harvard and not having any you know, medals, or having made any USA team, it was just a lot of fun for me. Like I was going out there and running and no one had any expectations, so I was having a great time. I was like, all right, let's go, let's go line up next to Alison Felix, let's go see what happens. It'll be great. And then as soon as I made the Olympic team, it changed. And then as soon as I got a bronze medal, it changed. Now suddenly people are talking about, okay, if you don't medal, now you know that's an l right, if you don't make this team next year. You know, that's a big l and so it immediately changed my mindset and even going into this year, Yeah, I'm going in as a favorite and there I mean I was telling people before I even stepped up to the line for my prelim, I have never felt this type of pressure before in my entire life. I mean, walk, you walk out there and you're just you're by yourself, Like you don't have a team to take that loss with you. If someone messes up, there's no there's no redo, there's no next play, there's none of that. It's like, all right, you're gonna go out there by yourself in front of eighty thousand people, and then you know the millions of people watching at home, and if you don't get it right in this one moment, especially in the short sprints, it's over. So it's definitely a lot of pressure. But for me, I practice like I meditate, I practice like focus. So if you can dissociate in that moment, you know, that separates the good athletes from the great athletes. If you're over there on the line thinking about how many people are watching you, you're gonna mess up, and you can you can see in the people's faces when they line up to the line, you can see you can tell when you're watching an athlete. You look in their eyes and you can see like, Okay, this person has figured it out. They're about to knock this race out. And someone who's scared and then like, all right, this is going to be there. I have to fight for this.
Speaker 5: Before you go to the line, before you line up, before you go into the blocks, do you envision the race and play it out in your head before you actually run? Because when I think from a football standpoint, I would look at the first fifteen. Plays are always scripted, right, and so when we before we go into a game, I envisioned what the route would look like, regardless to who's in front of me and how I'm going to execute it. Do you do that as a runner right before a big event with that kind of pressure on you.
Speaker 7: I had envisioned that race one hundred times at least before I ran it. Over the last week. I envisioned every single like I envisioned the walkout, getting into the blocks. The first couple of steps I envisioned like the middle and who's outside of me. I had ran it through my head so many times to the point where I could have ran that racial eyes closed. That's how perfectly I wanted to feel comfortable in that race. Now, when I actually won, like that was a different story. I couldn't have envisioned, you know, how that was going to feel, what I was going to do. But every single step what I was going to do, I had already pictured in my head. In my head, I had already won, like I was already the Olympic champion, and so I had to go out with that mindset.
Speaker 1: Gabby, I watched you in this race, and what surprised me is that you had a tune up race before a pre Olympic race, and you raised Jillian Alfort, you raised Dina asher Smith.
Speaker 3: Nita was also in that race, and.
Speaker 1: You did not get out in that race like you did in the Olympic final. What did you learn because you gave up too much of a cushion. You're like, I ain't making that mistake. I'm not making that mistake.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: That race, really that was a wake up call for me. So first of all, I want to start off by saying, so that was a London Diamondague race. It's very difficult. A lot of our races are overseas, and when you train in the United States, that is very difficult. So for me, you know, I knew going into that that girls, those girls have been in Europe. So I had to get off a plane lineup, and I knew. I'm like, all right, I'm a little jet like right now. So it's gonna be tough going to make this happen. And so that's what jet lag looks like. You feel like you feel like you're ready. You might feel ready, you're fit, you're fast, whatever, but that one percent difference is everything. So when I got off the curve in that race and I realized how far behind I was, I was maybe not panicked. I was like, oh, shoot, like I might actually lose this race. And you don't want to go into the Olympics. All the loss of your bellot it's it's not good for your confidence. So I everything I could to win that race. But the thing is it just gave me confidence that I knew I could win anyway. So I knew I could win even if I was thirty meters behind the field. I was like, I'm going to figure out a way to win. I knew I could win if I came off the turn in front, you know, in the mix, or dead last. So it gave me that confidence going into the Olympics, and it really just became a question of, you know, how am I going to win this race? Am I gonna am I going to get out well? Or am I just gonna to fight for it? And so it was less of a question of if I'm going to win, It was more so like how am I going to win?
Speaker 1: The thing that I like most about you is that you didn't paint it, because a lot of times we see people in races, like you said, you got up for playing your jet lag and you're like, well I don't have it today, but I'm okay, or they panic in the race and it makes the such a exacerbates the situation. You relax, yeah, and says I believe I still have my training and the foundation in which I put forth.
Speaker 3: I believe I still can catch these women.
Speaker 1: And in the last twenty meters, I'm like, where did she come from?
Speaker 7: Exactly exactly. And that's that you go into the race with confidence and trust in the training and trusting everything that you've done. And that's what I did. The worst thing you can do is panic intensive in a sprint. I mean every little thousands of a second counts, and if you're stressed out, running panicked, you know that's it.
Speaker 3: Gab. Have you thought about it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: And there's some speculation that said this might be Sid's last four hundred meters four hundred hurdle race and she might be looking to go to the open four hundred.
Speaker 3: There have only been a handful of peace.
Speaker 1: Valerie brisco Hooks did it, she won the two and the four in the eighty four Olympics. Marie Jose Perect did it in ninety six along with Michael Johnson. A lot of people don't realize that, but in that same Olympic that Mike double the French one French woman she doubled. Is that something that you've thought about going up to the two hundred and maybe challenging asking the federation to say, you know what, could y'all stacker this a little bit to give me a little bit more time to recover, or maybe the one two or maybe the two form.
Speaker 3: Have you thought about something like that?
Speaker 7: You know, I have thought about it, and even you know, for our Olympic trials this year, I really was going to double. I was going to do the four hundred and the two hundred. Ultimately we decided that this was my year for the two hundred and that we were going to focus on that alone. So I dropped out at the last minute, but I've definitely considered it. I think for now, it's just been like, all right, let's make this happen. Let's get an Olympic gold under my belt, so I can. I can get that title and keep it. But I think in the future, absolutely, I'm going to have to prove to the world and to myself that I have what it takes to double. You know, Michael Johnson had already set the president like everyone we knew, you know, he was going to go out and double and make some noise in both events. So you need someone who's really going to show up in both events and be a gold medal contender. And I definitely do see myself in the teacher being that in the four hundred. But right now we got I mean, like you said, we have a steep, steep pool of feign A meter runners. I mean even Sydney, you know, she could she could stop the hurdles and run the four hundred and it would be insane, so that would have to step up.
Speaker 1: Are you in the pool for the four by four? Would you like to run a leg on that? Because we sell Alison Felix. We've seen Abbie Steiner do it and you can run some fifty and that's saying something absolutely obsolutely.
Speaker 7: I want to leg. Absolutely. Look, I ran my quarter this year. I went to the World Relays this year, I ran that leg for TMA. I got us qualified, So I absolutely I'm in the pool. We've had some practices. We don't know the relay order yet. You know, it's always going to be surprised for TMUSA because it's going to be whoever is ready on that desk. So we got to see how We got to see how the quartermellos look in their finals. We got to see how people are looking in practice. We got to see how I look in this four by one tomorrow, so we're going to see how everyone looks and then the really coach Decias's on it. But I absolutely want to spot. Absolutely I like it.
Speaker 5: I'm more I'm more curious. I like the fact that something that you were able to do something that I was very horrible at. Is the fact that you were able to balance academics and still excel at your craft. I was horrible at it as someone who also went to Harvard, Right, I one semester, just one semester. Did you have an advantage based on your academic pursuits and neurobidic biology and sleep epidem epidemiology?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Does that give you an influence and different perspective on health and fitness? Because when it comes to health, I hate McDonald's. I still do to dedate throughout the entirety of my career. I hate McDonald's. Does it give you an advantage, you know, in different perspective of health and fitness?
Speaker 7: I think so. I think in college I had a very good and deep understanding of the importance of sleep and the importance of my health and how that affected my recovery.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: And you know, as an on the athlete, recovery is at least half a battle, and in track and field, that would say, it's definitely the majority of the battle. And so having that actual understanding of what's going on and what happens when you only get six hours of sleep a night, you know, instead of nine or ten. Right like that, that definitely did make a difference way. I had an appreciation for it. And when you actually understand why you're doing something you're doing, you definitely are more committed to it. So I was committed to that discipline, and that discipline is what got me to where I am today. Because I was never like the most talented athlete. That's why I didn't go to one of those, you know, really crazy track schools. But I was very disciplined and I did everything correct. I did everything right, and it got me here. And I think it's because I had that education and I had that background in that foundation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and just for the people that listen, if you listen to her answers, there's one word that she said three times, one word, and if we all had this, we would all excel in whatever it is that we do. And the key word she kept saying over and over was disciplined, and that's what we.
Speaker 3: All struggle with. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I read that Alison's Felix is one of your biggest inspirations, and you kind of mind your spride patterns. She's a long stride or longer de strider swords yourself. So have you had an opportunity to talk to Allison since you won the goal. Oh.
Speaker 7: I haven't gotten to talk to her since I've won the goal, but I see what she had to say about my race, and it's such an honor. Just the fact that she's watching me just have me so excited and like, I don't know, the little girl in me is like screaming because she believed in me for like the race. I saw her walk through my race on video and talking about, Oh, she looks so great, just walking up to the line and then I got out song and hard and then held on. She's like, no one's catching me, and I was just like, this is such an honor. I was so excited. But I spoke to her before the Olympics, and you know, she gave me advice and she told me to just keep doing exactly what I've been doing. Enjoy the moment. You know, everything that I've done to get to this point means I'm moving in the right direction, and so I just need to trust in my training because she's been through this and she's like, I know what it's like to be the favorite. She knows what it's like to go through the pressure, and so to hear that coming from her, I was like, right, you know, You're right, I got this, your coach, keep doing.
Speaker 1: Your coach, Tanyabu. For Bailey, she was a four hundred meter hurdle guy hurdler. I remember that race between her and Kim Batten when they was separating. They both went under the world record. So what is your training like because obviously you training. I think you trained in Austin or take some part to take where wherever.
Speaker 3: Is hot.
Speaker 1: And so what has she been able to help you with guide you with to help Gabby Thomas get to the pinnacle?
Speaker 7: Coach Bailey is the best, he is the best coach mentor she's such a mom figure and she was no lely athlete herself, like she has Olympic medals. So I mean I trained like a four to meet her runner because you know, she was a foreigner meter runner and she loves having us run. But mainly like she understands what it's like to be on the circuit, Like she understands what it's like to be an elite track runner. She gets that it is a doggy dog world. So having her like in my ear when I'm going to races, when I'm lining up before the Olympics, like telling me, you know, what you just gotta do what you got to do. You got to figure out how to win. And she taught me just how to win races. And you know, we can go and talk about, you know, this form stuff all day long. We can talk about you could do that, but at the end of the day, you have to figure out how to win races and win when it matters. And that's what that's what she knows how to do. And she knows how to coach me how to do that because she's been through it.
Speaker 5: Right, that's a good thing winning when it matters most So before the race, I'm just curious. I'm not very superstitious, but do you have any pre race rituals or superstitions you might have before race?
Speaker 7: Absolutely not. I don't do any of that superstitions, So I don't believe in it because because it doesn't matter. You know, It's like something goes wrong for the race, it doesn't matter. Like if I forget a spike, it doesn't none of that matters. Like you just have to go out there and figure o how to win. If my nail color is not a certain color, none of it matters, you know, And like if we just don't I don't do it that way, and my coach doesn't do it that way either. She just told me to go out there and be a killer. That's the last thing she said to me.
Speaker 1: You've had one of the best seat in the house over the last five or six years, this US versus Jamaica, not only on the men's side, but on the women. You know, they have Shelley, and they have Elaine Thompson Harrow, they have Sharika Jackson, and before they had Stewart and they had so many great runners in yourself and have some Felix and.
Speaker 3: This one and that one. So what's that rivalry? Like, do you do you feel it's a rivalry?
Speaker 1: Do you know what's at state when the Green, Black and Gold.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I mean I grew up watching this rivalry. It's so fun to watch. I mean, Jamaica has some heavy hitters, and for me, unfortunately, like coming into professional track, I came in when they were just at that Yeah, like I was running against you know, I was, I was just in those races and so it was very intimidating for me. But you respect them so much. I think that right now we are in such an amazing era of American women's sprinting, like we are really crushing the game. But you know, it's a it's a give and take, it's a push and pull. He has it back and forth, like you know, when one of us drops a crazy time, the Jamaicans don't want to see that, they're gonna they're gonna snatch it right back and vice versa. And I think that's really cool because we're really bringing women's sprinting to new heights, Like we're just such a good product right now because of that rivalry and even you know, having Sharika out this year, it's really unfortunate to not have your ranning world champion in the race. But it's just part of that give and take. You know, this is not her year, just like it wasn't my year last year. And she will be back and we will go at it. You know, she'll get that healthy. It's really hard to be really fast for a long time and stay healthy, as y'all know, like this is it's really hard on your boss to be at the top of the game for a while. It takes a lot of management, a lot of planning, and thankfully my coach and I had planned this year perfectly, but I know she'll be back, So you know, we can't we can't stay get complacent with it, because that's that's the sports Jamaica versus USA.
Speaker 1: I forgot about the great two hundred meter run Veronica Campbell Brown who dumped her to her and Allison used to go back and forth before Elaine Thompson, Harra and Shriika Jackson got to it. The mayor of your hometown in Northampton, Massachusetts say they will honor you with a Gabby Thomas Day bull up as a little girl, and you look at yourself now, I think you're twenty seven years of age. Could you have imagined your life? Say you're five six years old back then, and you look at your life now, could you have imagined this?
Speaker 3: Gabby?
Speaker 7: Absolutely not. I really cannot. And you know I had dreams of like being a doctor, being an actress, but you know, little kids they say that stuff. But I couldn't have never imagined that I would be chasing dreams like this and actually achieving them. But you know, I grew up in my mom was such a hard worker and she went after her dreams. And she always told me, like you have a light, you were going to shine so bright and you were so special. And when you have a parent that instills that in you, you know, you start to believe it deep, like in your core. And so I did, even though I didn't know what that would look like. I didn't know what I would go on to accomplish, Like I just innately knew that, and so I still carry that. And so I want, you know, my future children and any young girl who's watching me to believe that too. If you genuinely can believe that and think, Okay, I can do something special. I am made for this. You can do it. You just really have to believe it. And so I think that you know, my career, my my trajectory has just been you know, a showcase of that.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. I have another question. Listen.
Speaker 5: We know Gabby Thomas the academic scholar. We know Gabby Thomas. The job's not finished over in pairs right now, but we know Gabby to the track superstar. Are there any hobbies and interests you do outside of track and feel that we don't know about that you enjoy.
Speaker 7: I mean, other than like volunteering yet I have a dog. I love my dog. That's actually my baby. He's a pug. And I mean, I just love spending time with him. We go on walks, we go to the park, we go to the lake. Austin is such an outdoorsy town or you know, kind of small city, and so I just like to be outside, you know, hang out with my friends. I really have a very very normal life, like a very typical simple life outside of track and school and whatnot.
Speaker 1: Ask you this, what's the biggest difference between running professionally and running collegiately, Because you're not running for books now, now you're running. This is how you pay bills, this is how you get that car, That's how you keep a roof over your right.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right. I mean, okay, the biggest, actual main difference is like the recovery. You have to rest. So for me, I think that was the hardest transition. It's saying your friends to do things all the time, like you can't go to these dinners, you can't go to these parties, And that's the commitment you have to make to get to this moment to be a gold medalist. That's the hardest fill to swallow, I think, because it's easy to say, but in practice it's very hard. And also dealing with pressure. Like I said before, like when you're in college, you're running so many races, you have a team that'll just kind of be there for you. And you know, he lose not the end of the world, but if you lose on a pro level, it really can be the end of the world. So it's like, whos like that's paying your bills. You're gonna have to go figure something else out if you lose races, And so it's like whoever can deal with that. If you can't deal with it, you're just not going to have a career. But if you can, then then you will.
Speaker 1: Can you handicap the two hundred meters? We got no allows, who's the American record holder. He's the three time world champ. We got to Bogo, and to Bogo is nothing to sneeze that. He's run nine eight two in one hundred meters, He's run nineteen fifty in the two hundred meters.
Speaker 3: And he went low forty four in the four hundred meters.
Speaker 1: So he has the speed and he had and he has the strength to really stay in toe to toe. We got Cannon Binarik, Hey, we got Arian Knighton. You can't count out type the Grass from Canada handicapped the two hundred meters for us.
Speaker 3: Ooh ooh, I.
Speaker 7: Am so excited for this race. Look you said it best. I mean, Tobogo, you can knot tip him out. He has shown incredible fitness this season and he is staying committed. I mean, his four hundred strength looks incredible. Arian is just a young prodigy. He's incredible. Kenny shows up and Kenny is very talented, and he looked really good through the semis. I don't want to be biased, but like Noah really inspired me with that one hundred. He showed us that he will figure out how to yes, and I love to see that. That's what I that's the best thing about athletes that you figure out how to win. And this is his bread and butter. So I Noah looks amazing, He looks amazed. I cannot imagine losing a race. But I mean, we've got to see they all look so good because.
Speaker 3: It comes down to that moment.
Speaker 1: Who can handle that moment, who can who can be exactly best in the moment because it doesn't matter exactly race tomorrow and somebody else might win race next week. On the circuit and somebody else might win.
Speaker 7: But today, exactly exactly, they're all capable of having that gold medal. All of every single one of them in that final can can have a gold medal and then limp.
Speaker 5: To it when you when you when you look back, when you're when it's all said and done. What legacy do you hope to leave, both on the track and off the track.
Speaker 7: I hope to leave the legacy of giving back to your community. For one, I think that is one of the best things you can do. And that's kind of what I was raised on, is how can you give back to society in a meaningful way? A legacy of showing that if you work hard you will be successful, and be kind to people. I mean those three things right there, and and you're good, You're good, you will be successful. I just I want the younger generation to see that.
Speaker 3: Are they animal world that the Americans can get?
Speaker 1: Will you guys challenge that that forty point eight two that the women ran in Beijing?
Speaker 3: Is that possible?
Speaker 1: Can we see sid in film cabol Lord that fifty point sixty five in the four hundred meter hurdles for the women?
Speaker 3: Will we see Carston Warholme?
Speaker 1: Why Benjamin, you have Alison do Santo's we have a samba with Tutter. Will we see anybody go up on the world record in any of the remaining sprints American?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 7: I think, I think you definitely. I think y'all are going to have to open up your wallets a little bit because.
Speaker 3: I spending our money. Gavin, I hate.
Speaker 7: To say, I hate to say it, but I do think. I mean, I think the four by one girls we can definitely challenge the world record, the previous world record team. They spoke to us just last week about it, and I think we are very capable. And the hurdles, yeah, it's a rap. It's a rap tonight. I don't know if it's gonna be some there Sydney, but I think it'll definitely go down.
Speaker 1: Somebody's gonna have to run loaf If Filmica beats said, she's gonna have to go low fifty, maybe even sub fifty.
Speaker 3: Sidney is ing.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about in great form. She's in great shape. She's a flawless I mean, she can run, she can run the one teas, she can run the hurdle the lower for the.
Speaker 3: Women and be good.
Speaker 1: Her taking so far, she has tremendous strength coming into it. That twenty two oh seven that's still like what the eighth or ninth best time run at two hundred meters. She's run forty eight seventy five at four hundred meters. She's probably if you run to work at it, get a start right. She might be sub eleven at one hundred meters in order for fifty and I know film is unbelievable. She ran a blistering sub forty eight split on an anchor leg. We've seen her win the world indoor at forty nine seventeen, but sin is a different if she this is an upset. I don't care what anybody tells you.
Speaker 3: The film Cupon.
Speaker 1: Beats Sidney McLaughlin Lagroni in the four hundred meters hurdle.
Speaker 3: This is a huge upset.
Speaker 4: Ain't happening. Ain't happening.
Speaker 5: Ain't happening, Captain, No serious one thing said gonna do. Like you said, It's all about moments, and whenever that moment arises, she's always good.
Speaker 4: The always shows up to the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one thing, Bobby. The one thing.
Speaker 1: If you go back and study Bobby Curse's history, his runners at big meets, they perform, if they if they line up, they run, they run well. And so that's not the short change filmical because she's been unbelievable. I actually kind of want to see that thing come down in the four hundred meters, the four by four. I won't see the film. Get the baton at the same time, and let's see what happened, Let's see what it's really about.
Speaker 5: But matter of fact, you know what, my daughter, she's a freshman at University Kentucky.
Speaker 4: She run track at University Kentucky.
Speaker 5: If there's anything that you can tell me that I can pass on to my baby to make sure she stays inspired and stays discipline. Is there anything you can tell me that can pass on to her? So she absolutely the stride for greatness, oh Man.
Speaker 7: As a collegiate track athlete, I would tell her to just really focus on enjoying the process. Like I think what really makes a track athlete great is that they're enjoying the environment that they're in, right, and that they're just just taking in every moment of the process and focus on getting better. Don't focus on every time, don't focus on every single race, because I think you get so many races. Just focus on the overall journey and getting better and track and fields. The sax is never going to be, you know, a streetline. It's always going to have up and down. So she just needs to write it out and enjoy it and she'll she'll do great.
Speaker 4: Gotcha, gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Gabby. Us at NIGHTCAP want to say how proud we are of you. I know our fans are very very proud of you. So because of your huge, big win, Ocho and now will be gifting you twenty five thousand dollars. We have your information and we're going to get that to you a snap. So when you get back to the state side, you definitely have a package to see on that cap.
Speaker 3: You got but one thing, Wait a minute, but you got to buy McDonald's. Just once you got it.
Speaker 7: It's a deal.
Speaker 3: Gabby. Congratulations. I'm so happy for you. I'm so proud of you. Congra.
Speaker 1: Good luck in the four by one and the four by four. Tell the ladies good luck, congratulations and we'll see you down the road.
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, wait and tell and tell Quincy Wilson We're gonna race when you get home too.
Speaker 3: I will do Thank you, we'll get some rest. Thank you for taking time out of your schedule. I'll understand you're very busy.
Speaker 1: Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule, Gabby giving us a few moments of your time. I'm sure the nightcap, our audience, our subscribers is gonna greatly appreciate this in the day.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, and good luck.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thank you, Bye, guys,