Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Maren Talks Money Market Wrap, where we talk about the biggest moves in the markets this week and what is driving them.
Speaker 2: I'm Maren Zum SAP Web. You gave Money editor at Large.
Speaker 3: And I'm joined step pick Ed.
Speaker 2: Who are you? John? Who are you? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Let's cut the man some slack. He was only you've been at work for two days or something. That's the longer stretch. He's done for months. For God's sake, You've got to cut on some flags.
Speaker 2: Who are you, John? Do me to help you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do this for John right, so he can he can gather himself for the next bet. Okay, I'm John steppeck Holduly. I'm not his senior reporter. And over the Money Distilled newsletter.
Speaker 3: Award winning You'll never forget that bit.
Speaker 2: Forget your own name, forget your job.
Speaker 1: You don't get your awards, right, John, I think we have to start by talking about the bond market. Right, there's a lot going on. Let's have a quick look at yields today. We are talking on Thursday the twentieth about thirty year yields in the US and the UK are at a multi decade decade highs at this point tenure yields. The US is up near four point seven four point six eight, Japan is not far off three. Everywhere in the EU is knocking around three and four percent, and of course here in the UK we are firmly over five percent.
Speaker 2: Poorless Truss is.
Speaker 1: All I have to say to that, poor poor list crush lost a job for a bond dealed much lower than that.
Speaker 3: It's true, it's a double standard. It's almost like there's more than one tier involved, more than one tier, two tiers.
Speaker 1: All right, no more what's it called? No more dog whistling, John, That's right. What's going on in the bond market?
Speaker 3: We'll basically mean bond yields have gone up a lot, and they are, yes, a multi decade ties, particularly what it's known as the long end of the bond market, so you know, way out above ten years, thirty years. And I mean this is because I mean this is actually for pretty logical reasons. Governments have spent a lot of money, so there's a lot of points out there. EI companies are spending a lot of money, so there's even more points out there. So there's an awful lot of supply, and then on the other side, we've also got the warn Iran continues that keeps on pushing the oil price kind of up and down, but that also keeps feeding through the kind of diesel prices, petrol prices, et cetera, et cetera, And so markets are also still concerned about inflation, which also kind of pushes up bond yield. So what happened this week is that yesterday Wednesday, US Treasury Secretary Being clearly has been feeling edgy about this because earlier in the year he basically said to Japan, look, if you want to strengthen the yen, I'm okay with that, but I don't want you selling US treasuries. Instead, you can borrow the money from us, and that's how you can raise the dollars to you know, we can strengthen the yen against the dollar. And now be the latest thing, what he's said is we're going to buy back double the number of long end US treasuries that we were planning to this quarter. And basically what that involves is issuing more short term debt to buy back in some of the thirty year points that have been, you know, going that are in the market, and they're where the kind of most strain has been felt in terms of bond yields going up, so that briefly sent bond yields back down. But of course, and I mean Scott Wessont used to be a hedge one manager, I'm sure he's aware of this. As soon as you draw a line in the sad and for the markets saying this is the thing that the government doesn't like and if you get to this number, we will intervene, they tend to push it. So today the youth has already bounced back to where it was before they said, right, we're going to do this intervention. So it's basically just gonna be interested to see what happens next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose, I think says that this doesn't fail like a Treasury sacruit job.
Speaker 2: This feels like a fed job. So this is the beginnings of what they call physical.
Speaker 3: Dominant right, Oh oh, yeah, the idea. I mean, no, you're absolutely right. I mean I don't think it's particularly new. I think obviously kind of the fiscal side of things has been intervening more and more and nudging central banks and the monetary policy element more and more, but it is getting more avert, and I do think it would be fair to describe this, and I mean George Saravelos over at Deutsche Bank did this is a soft form of financial repression because the desire is to cap yields in some way, and assuming that he does, my is to cap yields. The place where the strain will be felt is the foreign exchange market. So it's it's all else being equal. If he actually manages to put some sort of cap on long term yields, the dollar is probably where we would feel it. The dollar would go down, but I don't really see. I don't think he particularly would care about that at this point because if you look at where the dollar is, it's not ice particalarly weak, it's not mega strong, but you know it was basically the kind of dollar index, which is the dollar against all its partner currencies, is still a lot higher than it was for basically the whole of the two thousands. So I would think that if the trade off was a weeker dollar for interest rates looking better, I think it's being better because this will all feed into the US usage market as well. Then that's a trade off he would take, but I think he's going to have to do more, because otherwise the market is just going to say, well, you know, they'll push them to the yield that it feels uncomfortable with and then say, okay, what are you going to do now? You know, we need to see you pull out some big guns here is going to take more than just saying oh, we'll buy a few extra long entreasure needs to get rid of it, I think, hmm.
Speaker 1: And of course the line problem here is the thing that you and I now have been talking about for going on twenty years, which is the ongoing rises in government debt around the world that just keep going and going and going and going, and everyone feels like we're in a bit of an inflation re environment, and you keep seeing debt rising more than GDP over an avernomenal GDP in different countries, and't it just got to come a point when something breaks somewhere.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what you would think. I only presumably that's what Scott basin as well, and that's why he's hoping to hold this down. And I mean I do think the.
Speaker 1: I mean US government debt, the number this week is going through forty trillion dollars, right, yeah, so much money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean it's also interesting that there's no there's not really like one difference between now and most of the time that we've ever been talking about this is there's usually at least one group of slightly obsessive people who are in politics and really want to see the debt and the deficit come down. When that was the case prior to the Great Financial Crisis, certainly the case after it. But now there is no political constituency for cutting spending really, certainly not in America, you know, and even here in the UK it's very hard to find. It doesn't matter, you know, where you sit on the spectrum, from you know, the furthest left to the father a straight everybody wants to spend more money.
Speaker 1: So I think absolutely nobody out there saying to get off this road to future missure, we have to reduce the size of government relative to GDP and we have to see some massive rise in GDP. And I saw from macro Strategy Partnership of Noteubt this morning saying the US is getting thirty four percent of nominal GDP growth per dollar of additional debt China is getting eighteen point eight cents. Yeah, I mean, you're just borrowing from the future in a completely absurd and unsustainable way. So if I with the bond marketsily pushing it yelled to regardless of all the short term stuff.
Speaker 3: And I mean, this may be what we need to see, but I think again the resk here is that well, the US, for example, is able to get away with us for death and that and other countries can get away with it to an extent. The issue will be the presumably if they MCEE take cap boind yields in some way, then inflation will make itself felt more strongly because obviously if you get a weaker currency, that will translate into imported inflation or you know, more kind of costly goods coming in. But yeah, I mean, I guess the fight can go on for quite a bit longer, assuming that that this is that they take the steps that we think they would take to suppress bond yields.
Speaker 1: Charlie Morris, our old podcast friend Charlie Morris, broke today that gold smells Q.
Speaker 2: And we see we did.
Speaker 1: See a big jump in the gold briad yesterday four per centers, and obviously in an environment like this, the gold price probably is going to rise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I I see no reason to be perish on gold right now. And you know the other thing that caught my eye, which I mean and also caught Charlie's eye because he likes his crypto as well. Bitcoin really took off in a way that it hasn't for a while. And actually bitcoin gold have not been doing the same thing for some time. But I definitely think this is because people suddenly thought, oh, look, this is it. The debasement trade is absolutely back. This is all about the weaker US dollar. Buy all the things that you buy if you think the dollar is going to slide. And I think that's again, I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion.
Speaker 1: I asked a tech guy yesterday on one of the podcasts coming out next week, actually Topless and do listen on quantum computing and all sorts of fabulous things like that.
Speaker 2: I asked him.
Speaker 1: I haven't asked at the end of our podcast for a while, bitcoin or gold, but given that we talk so much about about quantum computing in this podcast, I.
Speaker 2: Thought I would ask him bitcoin or gold.
Speaker 1: You know, Dick tech guy, right, And I wasn't entirely sure which way he would go, but he was very very clear.
Speaker 3: Gold gold a quantum guy M destroying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, QD coming up, and then you know, can anyone be bothered to go around the place where you know, once you've got a quantum computer, you can probably use it for more exciting things than going around the place breaking into people's wallets and stealing their bitcoin. You know, probably not going to get it's not going to happen. It's not going to happen in ourria. It's way down the list of what happens when people gets their hands on a nice quantum computer. To the extent that they will in the short to medium term, but nonetheless the fact that they could is surely enough to make it to make it worthless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean to be for Chris, it's Chris Woods all at the c l S that excess c l S. I think he was a bitcoin but quite recently sold out entirely, didn't it because.
Speaker 2: On that basis, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that is interesting and I sually, I mean you're really I mean, at the end of the day, you don't need to wrap your head round that if even if bitcoin is digital gold, you may as well stick with the physical one that can't be disrupted by quantum ill Presumably gold could be screwed up if we get fusion energy. Yes, because you probably make gold in a fusion reactor.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean alchemy is currently possible, just it takes so much energy that's not worth thinking about. Yeah, but one day anyway, moving on bonds gold help it, you know, the age of abundance the fusion power combined with the AI and quantum will bring. The mean is that we we won't need to worry about the boll gold buried under our house or not anymore. Everything's can be so mawfless nothing.
Speaker 2: To worry about.
Speaker 1: But on the matter of disruption, I wanted to talk briefly again about an academic report from Stanford University which someone at PAMA Liberian pointed us to. And we've talked about this before. We've talked about whether the buildout of data centers is the right way to go, whether the future of a future of AI really is all about large language models. Go back and listen to our podcast with doctor Jenny's Mareki anyone who wants them. Was the granular detail on this, but one of the things that he said was, Look, you don't have to use LMS anymore to get the same efficacy.
Speaker 2: From your AI.
Speaker 1: You can use an SLM, a small language model which you can run on your laptop or on your phone, and you get pretty much the same performance. And not only that, but you hang on to your own data. You maintain your privacy by using an SLM over an LLLM. Cheaper, uses pulerless energy and is contained. So the paper on this looks at how effective and how accurate SLMs are against lms, and I'll put the link to it in the show notes, and I'm going to write about it in the Merintalks Money and Use letter this this.
Speaker 2: Week as well.
Speaker 1: But the basic point here is that if you look at all the tasks on reasoning tasks, SLMs are nearly as good as llms. They provide a better or at least as good an answer as LMS.
Speaker 2: And while it was.
Speaker 1: Sixty percent of the cases, look at other task, real life tasks, this mixture of chat and reasoning performance, and on average SLMs are as good, if not better than lllms in eighty one point two percent of the cases, with lllms having significant advantae. I'm bringing aloud here a significant advance only an area like I think you mean, such as, let's stick with a grammar correctly, guys, that's what AI is for for your grammar. Significant run only in areas such as engineering, life science, as transport or transportation, and computer science. It's not just accuracy. SLMs achieved this performance and energy and compute costs that are between fifty and eighty five percent lower than an LLM.
Speaker 3: So at slm's like the SA engine versions. Basically like if you're just googling or whatever, use that if you're trying to cure kinds of us and ALLM.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean maybe maybe not.
Speaker 1: By October twenty five, the SLMs achieved ninety nine percent success for the easiest reasoning task in level one and two eighty five to ninety two percent in harder tasks, and only lagged in the hardest tasks of all that b aqre concept where there's a fifty one point five percent success right, So.
Speaker 2: They're exactly right.
Speaker 1: There's are only a very small number of very complex and vital tasks that you might want to use in LLLM for and the rest perhaps if what you're just to do is hang onto your data and hang onto your privacy and do things at a low cost, you would use an slum.
Speaker 2: And if that is the case.
Speaker 1: If that is the case, and again neither you or I are experts on this stuff.
Speaker 2: If that is the case, and.
Speaker 1: The the head that the title of this a little bit of research is if this is true, the hyperscalers are toast.
Speaker 2: I mean link in the show notes two.
Speaker 3: The thing is, I agree, I mean, I guess My problem is I'm trying to work why I'm wrong, if you see what I mean, or why this is wrong, because on the one hand, you know, we'll alvisos get a natural skepticism lean against it in these cases because clearly EI is a big deal.
Speaker 2: It's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's just to say it doesn't have to be done in this expensive way.
Speaker 3: Well, this is it. And also the even if you discount the s l A M L l M thing, I mean, the Chinese models are just as good, or certainly seem to be nearly just as good as the most divined ones in the US, but they are not spending the same amount of money or in the infrastructure. And I do yeah, I would need some I would like somebody to kind of make the kind of steal mind case for why it's a good idea to be building all of these data centers and what they're going to be used for if this all turns out to be essentially unnecessary.
Speaker 1: Or unnecessary in this volume, it's a little bit. It's a little bit like it's like wind power. Yeah, and then on a really windy day in the UK, for short periods, we can support the entire electricity network from wind.
Speaker 2: So why are we building more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's I mean, I guess I suppose. The other thing with this is that all points to the data centers being in a funny kind of way that kind of like peacock tails. It's like, you know, I mean, you get these whatever kind of like for hyperscalers kind of like building these massive ornaments because they can and it's almost like the last one standing is the winner because they kind of out spent each other. I don't know, it's.
Speaker 1: Your animal metaphors are getting kind of kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you.
Speaker 1: Remember that squirrel squirrels standards, And here we are with data centers as peacocks, data center data center infrastructure builders as peacocks.
Speaker 3: Look at my mighty edifice is of no value, but can be some.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: So let's hold that in your head, this whole SLM LLM Chinese LLM dynamic.
Speaker 2: And then let's go.
Speaker 1: Back to what we were talking about at the beginning, when we were talking about the bond market. I mean, almost always you think, you know, yields up, equity market down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that isn't really happening at the moment.
Speaker 1: And if you read all the endless broker reports that you and I both look at all the time, what they do is they tell us that that dynamic isn't working at the moment, or isn't working as it normally does because AI because it's simply not sensitive to yield in the same way as historically major parts of the market has been. Because the demand is so great, the need is so strong, the revenues are so high, and the future profits are so ginormous that a couple of percentage points here or there on the ten and third to you yield Yeah, who.
Speaker 3: Case, Yeah, that's not very convincing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not, and it's particularly not if it's if if there is any truth at all in the idea that data centers are I would beat toast in the in the face of.
Speaker 3: S l MS. Yeah, I mean it's going to be it's gonna be fascinating to watch how it falls out. And I suppose the wine the wine sort of like it's a potential positive in a kind of negative way for the sovereign there, or at least for US sovereign. There is that if everyone is in a rush to go Ei boinds at some point, then that you would sort of expect lump me dash for the safety of US treasuries if it got that bad. I don't know, is this is one of those words. I just think it's gonna be fascinating to watch because there's all this both balance sheet stuff that they've got as well stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think John that we should probably end it there because we don't know the answers, but we can just say to our listeners, watch out for peacocks.
Speaker 3: I'd say, one tiny thing. This is another reason why you should watch what's in your pension Again. If you don't know what's in your auto enrollment pension, go and find out. Because there is more and more pressure to stick more and more money into private credit, private assets, all of the sort of stuff that will end up being exposed to the worst of the excesses of this particular build out, I suspect, and the pressure to do that is going to keep mounting the more of this stuff that ends up spreading into the wider financial system. So yeah, just know where your money is and make sure it's not anywhere you don't want it to be.
Speaker 1: Another little personal finance heads up on that one, by the way, I was listing earlier today.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it. This is a UK specific.
Speaker 1: Point, but uh, you know, you get these whopping great inheritance tax bills and you can, occasionally, for very very non liquid acids, spread those bills out over a long time if you have you know, maybe if the the acid in question is land or whatever, you can arrange to pay the bill in bits. But I don't think that applies, and it was under discussion at the moment anyway, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to say, private equity holdings in your pension. Yeah, So imagine if you die with an awful lot of very very liquid private credit and private equity assets which it might take five years or so to sell, and your airs are stuck with the IHT bill on that in the immediate then has to be sold at a discount. Just something to think about, something that was wandering through my head. Did I is it peacocks who are so aggressive that they're constantly attacking themselves in their reflections from other people's cars, But.
Speaker 2: They're both vain and aggressive.
Speaker 1: I think that in future maybe we should have a biology graduate or a wildlife expert sit in on these podcasts.
Speaker 3: This is a great idea.
Speaker 1: Contact us if you'd like to be on a wildlife In turn, thanks for listening to this week's Maren Talks Money, Markets Rap. If you like us show, rate, review, and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts. Also be short follow me and John on ex or Twitter at marens w and John Underscore Stepic.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced by Somersiety.
Speaker 1: And Moses and Questions and comments on this show and all our shows up always welcome.
Speaker 2: Our show email is Mere Money at Bloomberg dot net.