Speaker 1: LinkedIn News.
Speaker 2: I feel like I put a lot of pressure on myself and that's what caused a lot of the imposter syndrome because I was like, yeah, other people are telling me that, like you can do it and it's going to be great, But I was like, I don't know that I'm going to be able to prove them right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you wanted them to see you in the way that you wanted to show up. That's not your problem. Like, you are qualified, you are unique, you know what you're doing. You don't live to fulfill other people's expectations of you.
Speaker 2: From LinkedIn News and i Heeart Podcasts, this is Let's Talk Offline, a show about what it takes to thrive in the early years of your career without sacrificing your values, sanity, or sleep.
Speaker 3: I'm Giana Prudenti and I'm Jamaie Jackson Gadson. Let me ask you, have you ever been at work in thought? Wow? These people are so much smarter and more talented than me.
Speaker 1: I mean, what am I doing here? Do I belong?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: First of all, let me tell you you do belong. But it's also totally okay to feel like you don't.
Speaker 1: In poster syndrome.
Speaker 3: Ugh.
Speaker 4: It's something everybody experiences.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially when you're early in your career. You're probably going into your first job, which is like this cloud of self doubt hovering over you. Ugh. But I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Your manager, your coworkers, your company's executives have probably experienced imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: Like literally everybody has. It's so common.
Speaker 2: And today we're going to talk about how to overcome those feelings of self doubt and tackle that pesky imposter syndrome.
Speaker 3: Okay, So before we jump into today's episode, big announcement, guys, this is the last episode of this season. Farewell to use the.
Speaker 1: Cuba waterworks.
Speaker 3: We've absolutely loved hanging out with all of you this season and building this beautiful community of work besties.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys are beautiful.
Speaker 3: We really hope these conversations have been helpful for you, guys, wherever you are in your career journey.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm like screaming, crying, throwing up.
Speaker 1: I feel emotional right now.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like whether you're early in your career, making a pivot, you know, starting your first job, whatever it might be, I think what's been so special about this show is that, yes, it's geared toward younger professionals like myself, but we really covered a lot of topics that everyone can relate to, and we've talked about things that most people face at some point in their careers. So we hope everyone enjoyed hearing these conversations as much as we did recording them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're all in this together.
Speaker 1: We're all in this.
Speaker 4: You see, I'm in the sing song move today. I like it.
Speaker 3: So look, we wanted to end the season off of a bang Chitty chitty bang bang. All right, Today we're going to talk about imposter syndrome, because the truth is everyone experiences it, and when you're particularly early in your career, you might be feeling a little bit more than usual. So Gianna tell us all about imposter syndrome.
Speaker 2: My good friend impostor's syndrome. So, imposter syndrome, it's that feeling that you're incompetent or not good enough despite the evidence that you are, and you feel undeserving of whatever you achieved or opportunities that are coming your way, and somehow you're like, how did I fool everyone? Like I just pulled off this master plan and everyone thinks I'm qualified for this, but it's the greatest heist. Yeah, exactly. So if you're like I think I experience imposter syndrome or I know I do, but I don't know to what degree, there's actually a test that you can take. So the person who introduced the idea of imposter syndrome, a psychologist, doctor Pauline Klans, developed this test called the Clan's Impost Phenomenon Scale, to help assess your poster syndrome. We're gonna include a link in the show description so you could check it out. It has twenty statements and you respond on a scale of one to five, one being not at all true and five being very true. So I'm gonna read a few of those statements.
Speaker 1: I'm from the test.
Speaker 2: We don't have to take the test live because it might be said, okay. One, I have often succeeded on a test or task even though I was afraid I would not do well. Two, I can give the impression that I'm more competent than I really am. Three I avoid evaluations if possible, and have a dread of others evaluating me.
Speaker 1: I feel that I feel.
Speaker 3: Gathered just by those three questions, and there's twenty of them.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a lot, but not today.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's a good place to start, definitely, so we will be taking this test as well. So, look, imposter syndrome is actually a very normal feeling and everyone experiences. And I cannot emphasize that enough because when you start takenoledge your own imposter syndrome in your life, you like, oh my gosh, it's only me.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: Particularly for women and people of color, though, we have to navigate an additional layer of imposter syndrome because not only are we balancing racial systemic biases, but we're also balancing gender biases in the workplace. So particularly when you don't see that representation in your leadership, no matter what industry you're in, when there's still a pay gap between men and women, when you still have the patriarchy, like it's just there's patriarch, not the patriarchy, it can be really hard to feel like you belong or that your work is even appreciated. Yeah, So what I found really interesting are people who we look up to in the world, people who we model after, who have also publicly spoken about imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: So here are the.
Speaker 3: Receipts of just a few people who have said that they've experienced in post syndrome.
Speaker 1: That kind of blew my mind.
Speaker 3: So first of all, former First Lady Michelle Obama, excuse me, the.
Speaker 1: Ora tour that you are.
Speaker 3: I would never know what the confidence is strong, positive baby, I love it. Former Facebook exact Cheryl Sandberg, which I was also very surprised about, because you know, she has created this huge mission about like lean in and empowering women in the workforce. Supreme Court Justice Sonya Soda Mayor, which, wow, girl, the power you have, the power that you have, the trailblazer that you are. Tom Hanks, Tom, I love you, Tom, Yeah, Tom Hanks.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And last, but certainly not least on this list, my personal hero Viola Davis.
Speaker 1: Love her.
Speaker 3: But you know what's interesting not to go on a tangent, but I know that like when she was particularly going out for like How to Get Away with Murder and Annalise Keating analyse was written for a white woman.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, usually when you get a character break down, like for most places, they will also list out usually the ethnicity that they're searching for nowadays are trying to be more inclusive, so people will say, like, all ethnicity is allowed, but anyway I can go.
Speaker 1: Down hoole candent.
Speaker 3: The point is like people get sourced for things and they feel scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like you sharing the You know, people we look up to who face imposter syndrome, us both acknowledging that we have it, like it is a very common experience. But I think if you don't do anything to address that imposter syndrome, that's when it starts to negatively impact your career. So it can definitely cause you to say no to opportunities, you know, whether it be like going after promotion, taking on a new project, is speaking engagement, whatever it is, and then also lead to feelings of anxiety and stress about your job, like is somebody gonna find out that I'm not qualified to do this? Like honey, they hired you. Yeah, I know you're qualified. So we want to talk a little bit about our own experiences with imposter syndrome, especially when it comes to creating.
Speaker 1: Let's talk off line. Tell me, gee, what's been your experience well before we get into the podcast.
Speaker 2: Specifically, I think first is like landing a big tech job as a new grad. I always would be like, if people ask me for advice, I was like, oh, I just got super lucky.
Speaker 1: Like I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know, Like I always just chalked it up to like I got really lucky. I was in the right place at the right time, not ever acknowledging like, yeah, I worked really hard to get the job that I have. So I think that is like my first experience with imposter syndrome. And then also when I started speaking on panels and doing more speaking engagements externally, I would face the most insane amount of imposter syndrome, like why do they ask me to do this? They're gonna find out that I am unqualified. And I talk a lot about imposter syndrome with our colleague Leah Smart. She's the host of LinkedIn's podcast every Day Better So check it out. But she always said to me, Gianna, when you feel that way, like you're going up on stage, you have to say, like, who's better than you? Right, Like they asked you for a reason, and you have to kind of like sit in that. But with the podcast specifically, oh gosh, did I face it? Falter said, job yeah, I feel like I just recently told you this that after we shot the pilot episode, I literally sobbed you did.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry. I'm not laughing at your drama. It's okay, it's totally fine.
Speaker 2: I just remember like being like, crap, I'm not going to be able to like hold my like I'm not gonna be able to show up.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: I just felt so in my head about like am I going to be able to perform?
Speaker 1: Am I going to be able to, like, you know, do this?
Speaker 2: And I was facing a lot of self doubt and even though I had been reporting on gen Z for years, I don't know that I can.
Speaker 1: Be what people expect of me.
Speaker 2: And I was very in my head about like who even am I?
Speaker 1: What is my voice? I was just like what am I doing? You know?
Speaker 2: And I feel like I put a lot of pressure on myself and that's what caused a lot of the imposter syndrome because I was like, yeah, other people are telling me that, like you can do it and it's gonna be great, but I was like, I don't know that I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Be able to prove them right. Yeah, gee, thank you for your honesty. But two things that I want to call out that you said. Well, first of all, you know, you were saying how you were reporting on gen Z for so long, and then now you were given this podcast, and the fear came in. Sometimes I think imposter syndrome kicks in when you're in new environments. You know the material, but now all of a sudden, you have that new job, that new opportunity, this new project.
Speaker 1: So that was natural for you to fear.
Speaker 3: But one thing you said that I think I really want to make sure everyone, particularly you understand, is that you were saying you wanted to make sure that you proved to them that like you wanted them to see you in the way that you wanted to show up.
Speaker 1: That's not your problem.
Speaker 3: Like that is where I think some of the anxiety comes from, because we're trying to control how others perceive us.
Speaker 1: In the moment.
Speaker 3: You are qualified, you are unique, you know what you're doing, so when you go into the room, you walk in with that, and then their expectation is set based upon how you show up. You don't live to fulfill other people's expectations of you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate saying that, and I do really think it is like I study newspaper journalism for a reason, like I wanted a byline.
Speaker 1: I didn't want people to like know my face.
Speaker 2: And then I got this incredible opportunity to work at this company and have this platform. And then it was like getting over being in front of the camera. It was getting over the sound of my own voice in the beginning. Yeah, so it was like, I'm like, I'm not a podcaster. I don't know the first thing. And I was like, there's probably other people who could do this who know what they're doing, and I think that's where it really.
Speaker 4: But you also know what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Now she's learned, she's learned. Yeah, you've learned, but what about you?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, imposter syndrum has chased me down my entire life. But I've always been a little faster, one step ahead, always one step.
Speaker 1: She's just one step.
Speaker 3: Let's see overall in my life, yes, imposter syndrum has always been there. I always used to in school get like first runner up for things. So whether it was pageants, it was talent shows, it was competitions for piano. And when you kind of always come up first runner up, you just never feel like you're are the winner. You always feel like I'm always like one step behind, and so seeing that throughout my life, I was always sort of in this mindset of I have to work even harder to prove and you know, for other reasons that like I won't share on the podcast, but just like certain things that I saw growing up in home life and environments that I was in, a girl like me should not be here, and I say that in so many ways, she shouldn't be in New York, she shouldn't be working at LinkedIn. But I started to change my thinking, and I started to say, you know what, even when I go into rooms, even if I'm scared, even if I feel like I don't belong, even if whatever, I'm going to go into those rooms.
Speaker 1: I felt that a lot, particularly.
Speaker 3: When I first launched The Blonde Misfit, because within a few years, all of a sudden, I'm getting all these awards and I'm getting asked to do stuff. But I had to sit with it one day and I was like, but this is what you've been working for, all those long nights in early mornings and sacrifice weekends in New York fashion weeks that has led you to these events that has led you to these awards, that has led you to whatever. So I had to start recalibrating my mind to start saying, like, you don't work the jay Z said it best. I didn't work this hard to stay the same. And so when I started to really understand that, I started to say, you know what, imposter syndrome is going to come to the party, but I don't have to allow her to dance. Yeah, and so thank you. And so it still kicks in. It kicks in all the time. And even with the podcast, you know, my imposter syndrome kicked in because I was like, good gracious, like, am I going to drop the ball? And I felt like, you know, I'm not gen Z. I mean I can speak somewhat to gen Z. I can speak to being a millennial. I can speak to being a young person in the workforce. But I thought, you know, well, how is my voice going to matter on this podcast? And I was like I don't want to and you you, you know, from the jump, I was like, I don't want to do this podcast if I can't be me. And that's Jamay is gonna crack jokes. Jamay is gonna talk about the things that matter. Jamay is gonna talk about the real stuff, like we can play cookie cutter, we can play house, but we also got to be serious because these are people's lives. And I've just been so thankful that every day, even when I've shown up in the imposter syndrome, the mic cuts on and we create magic, and the beautiful byproduct of that is what you know you all are listening to. So I'm really thankful for that. But yeah, imposter syndrum sucks. But again, just because she's at the party doesn't mean she has to know how it is.
Speaker 2: We've all had a moment where we have spiraled inserted wondering can I do this? Am I good enough? I know I've had my fair share of those moments. So after the break, we're gonna talk about how to tackle those intrusive thoughts and those feelings of imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: That's next.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, we are back talking about imposter syndrome, and I want to bring up a question from one of our listeners. This is our segment Dear Work, Bestie, where we answer your questions. This week's comes from Yvonne in California.
Speaker 5: When a new position you're interested in opens up at work, but you feel like another coworker is more qualified for the role. How do you one not let imposter syndrome stop you from pursuing the position, and two how do you show your higher ups that you're still a strong candidate even though you know there's someone more qualified than you.
Speaker 3: M Yvonne, you want to start, and you want me because my mine is really easy.
Speaker 2: I feel like I know what you're gonna say, and so let me just say I would first challenge Yvonne to say, like, how do you know they're more qualified than you?
Speaker 1: Period?
Speaker 2: First that you know, whether maybe it's like seniority, maybe they've been at the company longer, maybe they have, you know, more on their plate, whatever it might be. First it's like, why do you think they're more qualified than you? Is somebody telling you that? Or is it you in your head about it? Because I know I would be up in my head living rent free.
Speaker 1: That's a personal thing anyway.
Speaker 2: And also to focus on why you are qualified, like why are you qualified for that position? Because you are so focusing more on that than like this person is more qualified than me. So I think once you kind of like show yourself your own receipts of like, yeah, I did this, that and that, and this is why I'm qualified. You kind of you know, build that confidence. So I think that would be for one, how to not let imposter syndrome stappy For me been going after it is like, let them do the denying. Don't deny yourself, don't self reject.
Speaker 3: Girl, the words right out of my mouth, yvon. First of all, who else is applying for that job?
Speaker 1: That's not your business.
Speaker 3: Look, there are things in life we can control and things we cannot. Okay, this is something you can't control, and more importantly, things that should not live rent free in your mind. Spend that time, money, effort, energy doing what you can, which is showing yourself to be the best candidate. At the end of the day, they are going to make their decision based on a number of factors. Some of them are going to be tangible, some of them are going to be intangible. And just because you think that person is stronger in certain skill sets than you are, use that to say, Okay, let me go take some LinkedIn learning courses, let me go get enrolled and get another degree, let me pursue some you know, external education. Yeah, exactly, like use that as ammunition rather than as a crutch. But at the end of the day, it's not your job to say, like, oh, because they're more proficient in X versus me, that they're going to get the job.
Speaker 1: Let them decide that.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to showing higher ups like that you are the right person for this position, we've talked about this. I feel like at some point in every episode this idea of like you need to be your best advocate, you need to sell yourself and really like lean into what you uniquely bring to the table. So, like, what have you accomplished in your role thus far? What responsibilities have you taken on, What wins do you have?
Speaker 1: What learnings do you have?
Speaker 2: All of that, Like package that up and be able to speak on it and bring the receipts, like show that you've done it right.
Speaker 1: What metrics have you moved?
Speaker 2: And I think that's why when it comes to like going after these positions, it's so important that you have kept track of your successes up until that point.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So speaking of which, I think that there are a lot of strategies that anyone can do when you are trying to tackle and conquer and post the syndrome and what you said, gee, is the first thing. I think it's really important for you to keep track of your successes and so for everyone make sure that you are keeping track of your wins and your achievements. First of all, it's going to give you that objective data to help validate your skills and abilities. And also, like it's always nice to just kind of pull it out your bag every once in a while when you need that good little confidence booster, show you that you really are that girl, you know what I mean, And it's gonna help you whenever you start questioning yourself. In our promotions episode with career coach Emily Durham, which by the way, if you guys have not listened to Baby, Go Go, Go, Go Guy, she said, whenever someone sends you a nice message or email about your work, make sure you screenshot it and keep it in a folder. I recently started doing this. I was never good about a bag folder.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's so nice and comforting and it's a great reminder of how your work has helped other people. And as a bonus tip, it's going to help you a lot if you are navigating promotion cycles.
Speaker 1: Or even when you're at performance reviews. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think another tip when it comes to tackling imposter syndrome, you know, whether you're in a Vonn situation or just face you know in your own career, is to remember to be kind to yourself, Like we are our own worst critics, and you have to be mindful about that self talk, and you need to challenge those negative thoughts and reframing, you know. For example, like let's say you've been asked to take lead on a presentation, and you might be telling yourself like, oh no, why did they pick me? There are better people who can do this, who are more qualified. Right, Instead, tell yourself that you were chosen for a reason, and you need to like tell yourself that on repeat until you forget that you had any.
Speaker 1: Concern in the first place.
Speaker 2: You know, your team asked you to present that presentation because they believed in you and thought you were the person best person for that job. Part of this, too, is letting go of perfectionism, which is something I've totally struggled with. I am a number one on the enneagram, if you know, you know, but those feelings of self doubt really do come from like wanting to do a good job and putting these high expectations on ourself, Like we don't hold anybody else to those high of expectations. So you need to be kinder to yourself and like let yourself have room for mistakes because that's where you grow. Yeah, you know, I think another way to tackle imposter syndrome is to seek support from your community in and out of work. And when we started the podcast, I mean, I came to you and I was like, oh, like you know, I came. I was like, I need I need support, I need help, And I turned to a lot of colleagues during that time to help me.
Speaker 3: Can I just add that, like, this is also a great time, particularly if you have a good relationship with your manager, to lean on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I recently had a project that I was working on and I felt so much imposter syndrome. I felt like I couldn't understand the material, I couldn't understand the instructions. And every time I would talk to my manager, she affirmed me and she was.
Speaker 1: Just like you're doing great. Yeah, Like I don't even know why.
Speaker 3: She was like, but if I'm but if you need me, I'm here. And that felt so comforting for me to know, first of all, someone saw me differently than how I'm seeing myself, and I trust their judgment because they're the ones who have to obviously send it up the ladder. But also that I had someone in my corner who was going to help me, and.
Speaker 1: That makes all the difference.
Speaker 3: So yeah, definitely find your allies at work because they are going to affirm you and lift you up so much.
Speaker 2: Those people closest to you are the ones that can give you that reality check you know, and remind you why you're doing an amazing job. Yeah, and you don't have to wait for, you know, your annual performance review to get that validation. Like have those regular check ins like you do with your manager, have those check ins with your you know, coworkers ask for feedback, right, They'll tell you what you're doing good at and what your strengths are. And it's a good confidence boost and reminder that like, you are doing good, you are doing it, you know, So ask for that feedback. There's no harm in doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I know, like earlier I was telling you, like, don't center other people's opinions of you, but I think that it's really affirming when.
Speaker 4: The people who are closest to you, who see you and.
Speaker 3: See the work that you do every day, affirm things about you that you don't see in yourself. Yeah, because particularly when you're having a low day, it feels great that someone else still sees you as confident, as qualified, as strong, and you know you need that to get you through.
Speaker 1: So I love that.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of all the support y'all, making this podcast has been so fun and it has required a lot of support from a lot of people, but honestly, it's also been pretty challenging. I mean, we talked in a previous segment about the self doubt we both felt before starting this project, and I mean, it's just been honestly so great to have Gianna here to support me through this journey.
Speaker 1: So our producer.
Speaker 3: Actually asked us to write a letter about how we've seen each other grow during this experience and how we've supported each other. Now here's the funny thing. Gianna hasn't seen my letter, and I haven't seen her.
Speaker 1: Heart being so fast right now.
Speaker 3: Mine is being fast and I know what I wrote, So we're gonna writ I know, write me too, my God, Like I hate you know, so we're going to read these letters to each other for the first time.
Speaker 1: I guess I'll go first. Okay, I'm actually like really nervous. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I'm not gonna look at you today.
Speaker 6: I know, like, wow, life, Gianna, it's already getting read me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Gianna.
Speaker 3: When we first began this podcast journey, I remember how excited you were, but also how rightfully so nervous you felt. And I mean it was for a very good reason. This was all brand new territory. But every step of the way you've navigated those unknown waters with such grace and resilience. You've flexed not only your skills but your ability to adapt, and it's been incredible to see you consistently show up not just as my co host, but as my partner in this crazy adventure. I'm so proud of how far you've come in such a short time. But more than that, I'm excited for how much further you'll go. You're driven, You're ambitious, slightly anxious, and completely in tune with the values we share. You've made it a priority to ensure that we are always putting gen Z at the forefront, not just telling the stories but making sure they're being heard. Every time we get on the mic, it's like magic. We laugh, we cry, and a lot of that magic is thanks to your thoughtful planning and attention to detail. Trust me, I strive to be more like you every single day. But even beyond what we share on air, you've shown up as a colleague, a support system, and as a friend. You have held space for me. You have seen and affirmed me, and I am so grateful for that connection.
Speaker 1: I remember when the world wasn't.
Speaker 3: Sure what to make of your generation, but you, Gianna, your proof that the stories that need to be told will always find their way. As long as there are storytellers and reporters like you, the messages that Madam most will reach the world. Season one was a blast, but I know this is just the beginning for you. You've got your family, your friends, your work besties, and you've also got me right here cheering you on. So here's to you for absolutely crushing it this season and becoming a full on podcaster and your own right cheers to many more episodes, laughs, Italian trips and moments.
Speaker 1: Yay here, that is so beautiful. Thank you, You're welcome. I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 3: You have just superseded all expectations, and I hope that you are proud of yourself for everything you've done.
Speaker 1: You've come in here and you've kicked ass.
Speaker 2: Okay, I printed mine out.
Speaker 1: Here. Okay.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It's also very difficult for me to take compliments. Yeah, like that's a weakness of mind.
Speaker 1: So i'mona get relaxed. All right, let's do this, you said your coffee, Ye, all right.
Speaker 2: When we started production for Let's Talk Offline, I was up against a lot of self doubt and self inflicted pressure. I wasn't sure if I could hold my own behind the mic. I was so in my head about creating a show that my generation genuinely enjoyed listening to, so much so that I would often second guess myself and mull over decisions, even if I felt in my gut that I knew the answer. The hard truth is, despite reporting on gen Z for over two years, I hadn't truly found my voice. I was constantly questioning if I was going to be able to do this and do it well. I know that I would not have been able to without you sitting across the table from me. From day one. Your support and encouragement has been a constant. You've created a safe space for me to show up as myself and to learn. I've gone through a lot of trial and error throughout this production process, and you've always had my back, reaffirming me that I could do this when I was struggling, and cheering me on when I found my rhythm behind the mic. As a fellow anxious girly, having someone I could always turn to, whether it was to brainstorm or to event put me at ease. More than you know, I appreciate and I'm in continuous awe of your vulnerability, openness, honesty, and candidness When reflecting on your career journey. We've had some hard conversations, but I know that your willingness to dig deep and unfortunately have to relive some traumatic events from your past, have me countless listeners feel seen. At the same time, you've brought such a fun, lighthearted energy that has made this a one of a kind show. You've helped me get out of my shell by being your vivacious, hilarious, and fabulous self. I can't thank you enough for that. Over the last few months, I've been able to witness your growth as a host firsthand. You beautifully break down complex topics and effortlessly explain terms that many people starting out may not even know. Simply put, you've proven what a skilled journalist you are, something I never doubted. Since we like to share takeaways at the end of each episode, I figured it's only fitting to share my biggest takeaway from you. You've shown me that no job is worth sacrificing your values, sanity, or sleep for, and that putting yourself first is the most important thing you can do. For that, I'm forever grateful, and I'm so thankful this experience gave me a work bestdie for life.
Speaker 1: Signed your structured sys.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, sipping my coffee so I don't cry. Gosh, guys, Gianna penetrated my cold heart. Oh thank you, Sis. I really appreciate that. As my letters said to G and G's letters said to me, other people see so much in you, even if you don't see it in yourself, and so I want you to know that, even if you are dealing.
Speaker 1: With imposter syndrome.
Speaker 3: Hopefully the tips that we have shared, the resources that we've shared, and hopefully your family, community, friends, colleagues, whomever can create that safe space for you so that you know how to fight imposter syndrome whenever she comes knocking your door.
Speaker 4: We're going to take a little break, honestly to cry a little more.
Speaker 3: But we can't say this enough. Everyone experience is imposter syndrome. Me Gianna, Coworkers, your manager.
Speaker 1: Eva Rewet.
Speaker 4: So you are not alone and just know you've got this.
Speaker 1: Okay, the tears are dried, Okay.
Speaker 2: Something I'm taking away from our convo today is that you are not alone in your experience with imposter syndrome, and you really just need to lean into like why you are the person that is qualified for whatever is coming your way, whether be that promotion, be that speaking engagement, whatever it is. Like you were asked for a reason. Remember that and just focus on showing up as your best self.
Speaker 1: That's all you can ask of yourself. I love that.
Speaker 3: Another thing that I'm taking away is to make sure you are documenting your wins. Yeah, and knowing that every room that you are in you belong there. It's really funny because you know, when you go on a cast and call for acting, you'll walk into a room and there will be dozens of people who look like you because they're trying to fit the model of what the role could look like. But what you can uniquely bring to that role, in the role of your life is your unique value, your unique experiences, in the way in which you see that opportunity. So never go into a room scared. Go into every room knowing that you belong and when you need.
Speaker 4: That extra boost, collect your little bag folder. Yeah, so you guys.
Speaker 3: You know, normally around this time we would be doing like either cool or cringe or show the receipts.
Speaker 1: But this time we wanted to shake it up.
Speaker 3: So we're going to end the show a little differently. Today in honor of the new Year, we're going to talk about what our New year career resolutions are. I'm super excited because, first of all, new Year is my favorite. One of my favorite time is the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like fresh something that's on the air, you know.
Speaker 3: Hope, I mean, so, Gia, reason to give it another try?
Speaker 1: Here we go yet, right, Gianna, what are your goals for the new year?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: I think my biggest goal for twenty twenty five career wise is to really focus on building my career confidence. And I think that the biggest thing there is to work on.
Speaker 1: My overthinking tendencies.
Speaker 2: They are not serving me, They're like, I know, it's something that I need to work on. So I want to just focus on like being confident in my decisions, knowing you know that in my gut, I know the right direction, and not mulling over things in my head because I have to consider every which you know, pob Like you got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that for you because when you get out of your head, you are so unstoppable. I mean you're unstoppable when you're in your head too, but like you unlock a new level when you're not in your head, and it's just the magic.
Speaker 1: The arms are.
Speaker 3: Flowing, arms like it's it's just bleeding through. I love it for me. I would say that, you know, one of the things that I kind of came back to this year was community building and people get to see it up close and personal, like particularly on my LinkedIn. But I had really given up creating content a lot on all my social platforms, and this year I finally dipped my toe back in there and I'm feeling kind of good about it. Yeah, it's been fun, but like I also now see where I've been neglecting, and so I really want this year to be a year of intentionally building community and really creating space for people because I think now more than ever, storytellers are needed. Storytellers are needed, and we need to help you know, the arts heal and so I want to just continue to find ways to do that. And obviously that is a little bit more of on the personal side, but it does bleed also into my career as a professional storyteller. So I'm really excited about that and trying to figure out more ways to do that. So, yeah, help me and Gianna definitely hold us accountable. Yeah, check in and also let us know what maybe your New Year's resolutions are, because I always love to hear what other people are working towards. That's always so fun. But anyway, thank you guys so much for hanging out with gian and I all season long. I hope you guys are having a wonderful New Year or whenever you're listening to this episode. And also remember this isn't a goodbye, Okay, We're going to keep the party going on LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: Yes, remember we have a newsletter you can follow, guys, if you're not falling it already by the end of the season.
Speaker 1: What are you're doing?
Speaker 4: It's better than ever.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: It's called Let's Talk offline. You can find the link in the show description. It's also in my LinkedIn bio. And we want to keep chatting with all of our work besties, so make sure you're commenting on the newsletter. Make sure you're posting on LinkedIn. Tag Jamay and I. We want to see what you're putting out there. We want to chat with you.
Speaker 3: Yes, we really do appreciate when you guys tag us in your posts. Okay, so we don't forget. Also, huge shout out this week to Yvonne for sending us your listener question. You guys, keep the listener questions coming. Okay, listen to your work bestie, Jamay. Just because the season's over, it does not mean you should stop sending us your questions.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: We really want to hear what topics you want us to cover in the future, so we want to keep hearing from you. Information on how to send us your questions is in the show description.
Speaker 2: Also, make sure you guys rate and follow the show wherever you get your podcasts. Remember, Jamay and I will always have your back. You got two work besties for life. So if something ever comes up, Let's Talk Offline.
Speaker 1: I'm Janna Preenti.
Speaker 4: And I'm Jama Jackson Gadson, Stay Thriving.
Speaker 2: Let's Talk Offline is a production of LinkedIn News and iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Western Sound. Our producer Sabrina Fang. The show is edited by Savannah Wright. Our associate producer is Sarah Dilley. Alex mckinnis is our engineer, and Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Speaker 3: Executive producers at iHeart Podcasts are Katrina Norvel and Nikki Etour. We got support from LinkedIn's Jesse Hemple, Sarah Storm, and Ayana Angel. Maya Pope Chappelle is director of Content, Dave Pond is head of News Production, Courtney Coop is head of Original Programming, and Dan Ros is the editor
Speaker 1: In chief of LinkedIn