Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from Coast to Code with Caroline Hide in New York and vl Loow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Core.
Speaker 4: We've signed a deal to supply Meta with as much as fourteen point two billion dollars worth of computing power.
Speaker 5: Plus a change of leadership at Spotify, a CEO Daniel Ck stepping aside after almost two decades.
Speaker 4: And Anthropic releases a new AI model designed to code longer and more effectively than prior versions. We speak with Aropis, chief product officer, but.
Speaker 5: First ed we are both here in New York this week and checking out the markets that are just taking a pause amidst some macro focus. Of course, TENSI shutdown of the US government that's on every investor's mind. What does that mean in terms of data to what does it mean in terms of the future of rape policy the FED. We're currently completely flat, just pinching into the green on the Nastet one hundred, but it's way more interesting underneath the hood and you're looking at that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our top story is Core, Weave and Meta. It's the latest Core Weave capacity deal fourteen point two billion dollars. The stock has been on a tear since it's listing in March right now trading at its highest level in around six weeks. Clearly that big game following the Bloomberg report, The market's kind of focused on this idea, that is evidence core weaves move beyond one single customer, which is Microsoft. But actually, as Brodie up Forward often says, carry the devil's in the detail on this one.
Speaker 5: Let's get that detail, Dy forward with us. You help break the story. Core weave has tripled since it's IPO. We're up another fifteen percent. What does it mean to be adding Meta to the fold as well as open Ai more recently of course in Microsoft O.
Speaker 6: Well, it means that core Weave isn't just a colonial state of Microsoft.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: That was the concern for so long with these neo clouds that gosh, if their biggest customers are companies that also effectively compete with them, that seems like a pretty indefensible business. But you start getting companies like Meta and open Ai who are likely to be longer term buyers of this technology, and so I think folks are getting more comfort that Corewave and companies like it may have a more sustained place in this AI infrastructure build out.
Speaker 4: Fourteen point two billion dollars is a very large number, Brodie, But the terms of the contract extent of twenty thirty two. You know what I'm going to say, because we discussed it this morning. There is skepticism here because there are many unknowns. For example, does call We've actually have a data center somewhere that's built and operating that they can assign Meta's workloads too.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 6: What the CEO told me is that they never sign a deal if they don't have the right power and data center allocation ready to go. I don't think there's a data center that they're just going to flip on and say, aren't Meta here you go. But you know, this contract goes till twenty thirty one. They're probably going to need to buy a bunch of chips, fill it up and hand it over to Meta. And what that also means is they're going to take out a lot more debt. I mean, Corewave is kind of famous at this point for levering itself up to a pretty incredible degree, and we'll probably see a little more of that.
Speaker 4: The role of debt in financing AI infrastructure. That's becoming a story of the year twenty twenty five, Blue Most Brady Ford with the core we've metastory.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, AI's boom is sending investors searching for trades in an overlooked group, suppliers of the gear used to make chips. Let's bring in Bloombos Tech equity reporter Ryan blaceelca lots of readership on this story and some names that have not been at the forefront of what's happened within the semispace.
Speaker 2: Give us your reporting.
Speaker 8: Hey, good morning, Thank you for having me so. Yeah, this is a trend that we have been seeing throughout twenty twenty five now that some of the more well known AI trade seems like maybe those are getting a little bit mature. Investors are looking elsewhere. We've seen it in storage companies, We've seen it in memory companies, So now we're seeing it in the semiconductor capital equipment companies named like LAMB Research, Applied Materials, KLA Core, Terradyne. These kinds of companies which make the equipment that is used for building the semiconductors. Building all this manufacturing out these are getting sort of a second derivative move. Given the sheer build out we're seeing all the chips that are required for AI, obviously it's going to mean higher demand for the chip for the machines that make those chips.
Speaker 5: We constantly question valuations, ran should we be worried about them for these names?
Speaker 8: Well, I'd say if we were talking about this maybe a month or so ago, it would be a lot less of a ponent issue. But some of these companies have really seen very steep rises. They've really become momentum favorites over the past couple of weeks and months, and I think right now they are getting to a little bit more elevated levels. But certainly they are not sort of a nosebleed, real sort of bubble kind of valuation, but they certainly come up a lot from where they were earlier this year.
Speaker 4: Ryan, if you walk into a fab the clean room where semi condut is are manufactured, along the line is machines for lots of different companies. At the beginning of that line, you're probably likely to have one from LAMB Research.
Speaker 2: The chart that we took from your.
Speaker 4: Story shows LAMB being a real outperformer here.
Speaker 2: Is there anything more to know about that name.
Speaker 8: I think they are one that especially used with Micron, so the memory chips that has been another area of focus this year, so that high bandwidth memory. I believe that LAMB works on machines that are used in those I think that's probably certainly a component to their business there.
Speaker 5: Ran, So it's great to catch up with you, Ran, Plaselkah.
Speaker 9: We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, sticking with chips at Taiwan's premiere, says that trade talks with the United States have ended, quote the crucial closing stages, indicating the global chiphub is finally nearing a deal with the Trump administration.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 9: Investment in the US was.
Speaker 5: Among the issues discussed in Washington in recent days, according to a source, as well as lowering the twenty percent tariff imposed on the island ed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Some other news we're tracking.
Speaker 4: Google's agreed to pay twenty four point five billion dollars to resolve Donald Trump's claims that being blocked from posting on his YouTube channel after the January sixth, twenty twenty one riot at the US Capitol amounted to illegal censorship. That's according to a court filing which also shows twenty two million dollars. We'll go toward construction of a new ballroom in the White House, a project near and dear to Trump, while the remainder will go to a handful of other plaintiffs who joined him in legal action. Okay, Coming up, and Thropic has a new AI model that codes on its own for up to thirty hours straight. No need to feel it soylent, no red bull, and Thropic chief product officer talks to us about Claude Sonnet four point five A conversations.
Speaker 2: Next, this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Deep Seak update is an experimental AI model, calling it a step toward next gen AI. The latest version introduces a new technique it calls deep Seek Sparse Attention or DSA, a mechanism designed to explore and optimize AI training and operation and improve efficiency when processing long tech sequences.
Speaker 5: Correct, let's stick on the models AI startup Anthropic is that with a new one Claudes on it four point five. The company says it can code longer, more effectively than prior versions. Let's get more with Anthropics chief product officer Mike Kreger.
Speaker 9: Mike, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: How to have you on.
Speaker 5: Thirty hours straight is how long then it can code on its own? What are the technical feats needed to be able to go that long where humans can well definitely not survive that unless as a whole load of caffeine involved.
Speaker 11: Good morning.
Speaker 12: I think one of the main advancements we made was around memory and what we call context management.
Speaker 11: So if you think.
Speaker 12: About how you human works for longer periods of time, you're writing things down, You're making sure you can always pick up where you're left off if you're coming back the next day. So with cloud sign It four point five, we did a lot of work on that memory management. So the model, if you think about it, sort of writes down what it's doing, keeps track of its state, and then if it needs to sort of backtrack a table to then keep going. And that's how it's able to stay coherent for a much longer period of time than any other of our models.
Speaker 5: How much you've managed to lower therefore those ideas of inaccuracies or more broadly, that well that they're making things up. Hallucination has always been the key issue. Heren't been something that's limited edgentic AI adoption.
Speaker 12: Yeah, this is the model that we have that is also besides being our most powerful, is also are safest and most coherent, so as the lowest hallucination rate, and is the least susceptible to things like jail breaks.
Speaker 11: And I think that matters a lot. I think I tell my product.
Speaker 12: Team all the time, it's no use going for twenty thirty hours if you're making mistakes along the way, and so having it be both accurate producing good code that's the prerequisite, and then you can focus on scaling up on the time horizon.
Speaker 4: Mike, can we talk a bit about the audience for claudes on at four point five. The real emphasis from Entropic from the early days was enterprise customer as opposed to a sort of direct consumer. But this field of tools for the developer is expanding. It's probably more competitive. Who are you hoping uses this?
Speaker 12: It's really we've taken a business focus, but that also manifests kind of in the prosumer space, and so we have a lot of what we call power users who might be developers or might just be early adopters who want to bring AI to their work. So one of the things that SIGNUT four point five can do, along with writing code, is also creating really professional looking word and PowerPoint and Excel documents. It actually uses the same coding capabilities under the hood, but not to write code, but instead to produce documents. And that sort of capability means that we're starting to see adoption in the enterprise as well.
Speaker 4: Mike, you and I have discussed this in the past. We know Mike Krieger as Mike Krieger CTO Instagram, And what I'm seeing right now in the field of your peers is the reports on open Ai and what Meta is doing in social media and video. Is that a direction you want the product team to take, claud.
Speaker 12: In, We're focused much more on the productivity use case, and so when I think about our roadmap, it's very much how do we take workoff people's hands, or how do we accelerate folks and make them, you know, the work the best that it can be. How do we automate your work in the browser? So much more on that productivity side of things, and I don't think you'll see us play very much in that entertainment space.
Speaker 5: Might productivity perspective. It's come under some concerns recently. Think about the MIT report everyone's suddenly talking about this only well ninety five percent of the tests were basically failing out there in the wild. How are you making sure that enterprises adopt your products but actually see the productivity gains from them.
Speaker 12: I think this is really important, where if you know, AI gets brought into the workplace without the right either tools around it or enablement, what you end up with is this disillusionment a couple of months later around while folks aren't adopting it, or yeah, it helped me a little bit, but not enough. And so we have a lot of emphasis on let's.
Speaker 11: Make sure the work is actually good.
Speaker 12: You know, you might hear this word online like slop, where AI is creating work that actually just is not very good. And I think of us, we're trying to produce the anti slop work that actually, you know, maybe gets you eighty percent of the way there, but it's eighty percent that then lets you complete the work in a way that you're proud of, rather than you know, opes it did something, but now I feel like I have to start over because it didn't really help. So I think that's the really key piece for enterprise adoption.
Speaker 5: And therefore, does it remove the need for so many people or ultimately there's still this argument this can all meant, but will it start to replace?
Speaker 12: Mike, we think a lot about what, you know, the comparative advantages are of people, you know, as relates to AI. There's a lot of still relationship building and trust, critical analysis and strategy that really comes on the human side of things, and so we really try to design tools that as much as possible play up those parts of that human AI interaction, knowing that you know there will be you know, laborships that are almost inevitable, but if we can design our products along the way to maximize both people's understanding of AI but also their use in a complementary way.
Speaker 4: Mike, open a eyes holding dev day next Monday. It's probably on your calendar for peripheral awareness. But I'm very conscious that you're kind of speaking to us twenty four hours after the news of clots on four point five km out. Have you any data on the sort of reaction to it, early demand and where that's coming from.
Speaker 12: It's been really interesting how quick people are to adopt a new model. So by I think about one pm yesterday, we already had more usage of clouds on at four point five than all of our other models combined, which really speaks to the eagerness of a lot of these startups that are building on top of our models, as well as early adopters to on day one you saw GitHub and Cursor and Windsurf and many of these products that build on top of our models want to incorporate clouds on at four point five, and so we had this really early crossover moment as well.
Speaker 2: That is interesting data.
Speaker 4: Correct me if I'm wrong, But this model is running on Project Rainier, right, is that sort of operationally and infrastructure wise where the training and now inference of it is being done.
Speaker 12: So we do our both training and inference across You know, we have partnerships with Google and Amazon, but we have a significant part of this model being served now from Amazon as well, and we're seeing a lot of growth on a tobospedrock as well.
Speaker 5: Just going to that infrastructure layer. You're obviously the product visionary here, but you need to have the energy the compute to bring your products to life. Many worrying that we're in some sort of bubble cycle around AI. How do you think about that as you drive this business forward?
Speaker 12: Might I think there's this combined need to both scale up for the training side, but also on inference. And as we've scaled, especially with our business arrangements and the companies building on top of son it, I think we now have a sort of forward looking perspective on what our inference needs will be, and I think that'll let us go out and also secure the kinds of compute deals that we need to both feel the training but also have that sort of revenue generating inference side as well.
Speaker 5: And we get so focused on the compute needs of the United States, but we've been talking a lot about that in Europe. How it's scaling in the UK. From your adoption, how are you seeing things different globally MIC, Because those that are actually deploying what's happening with Sonnet four point five in the latest models, we see this a lot.
Speaker 11: In terms of our global footprint.
Speaker 12: There's something we started expanding earlier this year, and so for our rollout of Trainium too, which is the chip that Amazon has built for a WS that we use pretty extensively for our cloud models. A lot of that deployment is actually international, and when I go to Europe, for example, I hear a lot of questions about data locality and making sure that inference is happening in local data centers.
Speaker 11: And the only way we're going to be.
Speaker 12: Able to do that is to have that international footprint of these chips.
Speaker 11: And so you've seen the same in APEC.
Speaker 2: Mike.
Speaker 4: We are going to ask you a question about talent wars, but I'm just going to make an appeal to you to just be honest with me on this. How big a factor it is or isn't for you right now? In the product team at Anthropic in particular, I'm looking at the pace at which open ai is putting stuff out, Meta is putting stuff out. Just through your experience, what's the talent situation right now?
Speaker 12: I'm seeing much more of that talent sort of you know, back and forth happen within the research site in general, a little bit less on the product. I think there's some key hires where that's been the case. One thing that's been a positive sort of maybe surprise or just outcome of how mission oriented a lot of Anthropic, a lot of the Entropic team really is has been. It's affected us very minimally in terms of that back and forth that you're seeing maybe among some of the other frontier labs, which.
Speaker 11: Is very encouraging.
Speaker 12: Of course, you have to continue to make sure we build a great culture and maintain that mission alignment.
Speaker 11: But so far it's it's been minimally affecting us.
Speaker 4: If we take so on it. Four point five is the case study. What were the types of roles that you needed to bring in to roll out the release.
Speaker 12: I think people think of, you know, research and model science as being fairly cut and dry. I actually think that there's a lot of art and taste to it as well. You are making a lot of decisions from a research engineering perspective around what are the task the model needs to improve on, how will it improve on that, how will we know that it's improving on that? And so a lot of that reinforcement learning post training piece is the key shape of what we really thought about.
Speaker 11: And son at four point five.
Speaker 4: My creagain andthropic chief product off. So it was a real deep dive into Sonnet four point five. Thank you so much for joining us. Back on Bloombo Tech, I've coming up on the show Door Dash has a new autonomous robot.
Speaker 2: Meet Dot, Hi Dot.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to the VP of door Dash Labs about what this robot delivers.
Speaker 2: In terms of its capabilities. That's next. This is Bloomberg tech.
Speaker 4: Delivery company door Dash is unveiling a new autonomous delivery robot called Dot. The company says Dot is the first commercial delivery bot to seamlessly navigate bike lanes, roads and sidewalks. His stirs more actually read vice president of door Dash Labs. This robotics experience includes work with zooks and video, but the real terms parameters for deployment, which cities, how many deliveries when.
Speaker 3: So, we have been focusing on the greater Phoenix area and that's our focus for this year. We are hoping to address about one point five million customers by the end of this year, and then you know, as we progress, we'll see what happens. DoD likes to travel though, so hopefully we can expand to more cities.
Speaker 4: Team, let's bring up some pictures of Dot again. I mean to me assue you that this looks kind of the design like a bit like a stroller or a pram as we might have said in the United Kingdom. Could you just talk us through the design of it and how this is what you arrived at.
Speaker 11: Sure.
Speaker 3: So there were three sort of key pillars for us when we looked into the line of Dot. The first one was product market fit, so we wanted to make sure that Dot would have the right cargo capacity and the payload that it can carry up to thirty pounds fits a vast amount of the door dash deliveries that we do today. The other big part was it had to be going at speeds that allowed us to do a big chunk of deliveries in the three to mile range, and that's why the design point was it needs to be able to go on bike lanes, on roads, on sidewalks. But the other key part is the pickup and drop off for deliveries, which makes it very different from right hail. And one of the key feedbacks we had gotten from merchants was it is absolutely imperative to have the robot come as close as possible to the merchant, right next to the doorstep, which is what Dot does, and so that was a key design feature, was that it could go on sidewalks and be sort of narrow enough to navigate sidewalks.
Speaker 5: And pretty well that what our shoe currently isn't on the market because you're already using Coco Robotics spat by some aaltman. There are others on the market. Isn't just the speed the pace that they can't meet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we actually also announced as the key product called the Autonomous Delivery Platform, which we actually in which all our partners, including Coco and our drone partners and other robots including Dot can participate. And the idea is that as the demand for delivery is growing, we have an all of the above approach, which is there'll be dashers, they'll be drones, they'll be Dot and so we are looking to work with all of our partners to enable this different modalities. So we believe the future will be multi modal for our delivery. And that's this is the first step towards.
Speaker 5: That I cycle every day, I navigate dashes. How will how many dashes will I be navigating in the future? Is this going to replace careers in the long term? How haven't much of a percentage do you want delivered by Dot?
Speaker 3: Well, we don't look at this as a percentage. We look at it as just a growing pie. So if you think about the just over the last few years, DoorDash, the demand for delivery has been growing significant a year over year. So we think of this as like I said before, it's just going to be multimodel. There are going to be many, many different forms of delivery. And you look at the range of deliveries we do. If you just look back to you in five years ago, we were doing mostly restaurants. Now DoorDash does groceries, It does household items like you know, toothpaste or diapers, even home electronics.
Speaker 11: You can buy a.
Speaker 3: Complete laptop on door Dash and have it delivered to your door step. So we expect all kinds of deliveries to be happening on our platform. And this ADP that we announced yesterday is the first step towards at.
Speaker 4: Ashu who is going to manufacture dot and where will they manufacture dot?
Speaker 3: So at this point we are you know, going through that process of figuring out all the all of the pieces of where the manifest actually is going to be and where you know, all the components, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So it's not decided, it's still.
Speaker 3: Being discussed internally as to how we will end up doing.
Speaker 5: This is the aim to have it largely us.
Speaker 3: Made, so we you know, a big the technology that we have developed here is all built here in the US in Indoor Dash Labs, so it's pretty much purpose built, homegrown robot, you know, and it uses a state of the art technology, again developed by the engineer's at door Dash. It is fully LPHO autonomous system, so it, you know, as you can see, navigates through all of the various situations that can encounter, whether it is pedestrians or cars, and again going up in sidewalks, going up to your doorsteps, lots of pedestrian and what are called vr US vulnerable road users which means kids, pets, and so on. So all of that technology was developed in DoorDash Labs.
Speaker 5: So motoring along at twenty miles an hour next to me on the cycle lane, so surely I'm sure she thanks so much for joining us. Shue Reggae, vice president of door Dash Labs at door Dash and coming up AI chip startup Cerebras Systems. Well, it's closed a new funding round an over eight billion dollar valuation. We're going to talk to the CEO Andrew Folman, because remember this is a company that actually wanted to IPO. Does that delay that inevitable? We could talk the ambitions next and what are you looking.
Speaker 4: At to private markets, conversation, in equity markets and technology, there is some stuff going on. I mean the broad story is that we are basically flatten the now's like one hundred traders are in weight and see mode.
Speaker 2: Will we get some economic data? Will we not?
Speaker 4: But we know the big story out there on the single mover side is core weave up thirteen percent, highest level than six weeks on a fourteen point two billion dollar compute deal with Meadow, which is down one and a half percent. So much more to come on the show, stay with us. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. Let's check in on these markets because on the surface some calm, we're currently off by just a quarter percent, and then adds that one hundred anxiety about a potential government shut down here in the US. What does that mean for key data in the jobs market, particularly on Friday? What does it mean for the federal Reserve? We stampat in terms of big tech, but underneath the hood, let's look at individual movers because there are some big deals being done.
Speaker 9: Once again in the spectrum space.
Speaker 5: We are having the best month for EchoStar on record, at more than twenty percent because it keeps on selling Spectrum this time we understand it's likely to be selling to Verizon. There's talks of Plum and the moment for AWS three licenses. Already they've been selling to AT and T and SpaceX. Let's have a little look at what's also on the move. Big deals being done in AI compute. We're going to delve into that throughout this section. We're up twelve thirteen percent on Core. Weave fourteen billion dollar deal to Meta Yet more GPU access, more compute, but we've got plenty more when it comes to the world of AI infrastructure.
Speaker 11: ED.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot more happening in technology in private market. It's AICHIP making startups. Rebrest Systems Is is a one point one billion dollar funding round Cerebras, which aims to rival and Video Now, has a post money valuation of eight point one billion dollars. The company's CEO, Andrew Feldman, joins us for more. Andrew, good morning, Welcome to Bloomberg TEG. You know, my assessment with cerebras is is that you claim that the technology is as competitive or better than what in Vidia's systems offer, and you are aggressively building out that infrastructure, and you are doing deals with end customers in the context of this funding round, what's your priority here?
Speaker 10: Sure, I think it's not just what we think. Every third party benchmark has shown that we are ordered twenty times faster than in video GPUs AT for inference work. So that's for the using of AI. And so this is the largest and sort of fastest growing part of the market. So we wanted to fuel our continued extraordinary growth. And so we're going to use this money to double our manufacturing capacity. We manufacture in the US, and we're going to double in the US, to extend our footprint more data centers so we can support more customers and those are in the US as well, okay, and to continue to invest behind our pioneering technology which has sort of solved problems that were open for seventy five years in the compute.
Speaker 4: Industry andrew to what extent you supply constrained? In other words, you have all of these customers, are you having to choose who gets first DIBs when some capacity comes online?
Speaker 10: Right now, one of the most challenging components is to get access to data centers, and those are some of the massive contracts you discussed in your previous segment with Core that they're providing to the like of Meta. Meta is also one of our customers. But the ability to stand up and deliver data centers filled with our gear so that our customers can enjoy the benefit of the fastest inference through the cloud is one of the limiting factors.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 5: You've got what five new data centers just in the course of twenty twenty five. Looking at Dallas, Oklahoma City, look at Santa Clara. What's really interesting, Andrew is that where are you building? Are you literally going out there building? Are you just trying to win future relationships with a Core weave so that they take your compute rather than of Nvidia.
Speaker 10: Well, I think we are renters of data centers. We are not builders of data centers, and so we partner with those who own the real estate and those who stand up the facility. We fill the facility, We rent the facility, and then fill it with our infrastructure. Infrastructure is then used by customers around the world, either by the by the day, by the month, by the token to get their fast AI and so I think that's the way we think about it.
Speaker 5: Caroly Andrew, we think about your customers and you're mentioning the likes of Meta. I'm interested in also where the money has been coming from for this round, because I noticed that one of your key backers of the past isn't on the list, seems G forty two key investor in previous and of course Middle East and based relationships potentially CEO with China, and that's been an issue for Syphius in particular, if you wanted to IPO, have you decided not to take money from them this time?
Speaker 10: No, that wasn't That wasn't the situation at all. I think it is very common in your dash to get to being public to raise raise a late stage round from public market investors. Around was led by Fidelity in a treatise. It included Tiger Global Valor seventeen eighty nine, It included Alpha Wave, all of whom have large and predominant public market practices, and so I think this was a round that was aimed at a different class of investor. We are continuing to collaborate with G forty two. They are our strategic partner. We are building enormous clusters in the US for them. We are training models, We are serving models, including one that they built in partnership with their leading university in the UA, nbz UAI, so that partnership remains rock solid.
Speaker 2: Andrew quickly.
Speaker 4: Then the obvious question is does your ongoing association with G forty two preclude you from pushing forward within investment based on the history of the Syphius review.
Speaker 10: Well, not at all, not at all. I think each investor has their their own appetite by stage, and what we found in this round was that the lead investors had a very large appetite and so we were able to meet that appetite. We cleared Syphius in March, and so there is nothing blocking the IPO.
Speaker 5: So when, Andrew, when in mid March we cleared when will you IPO?
Speaker 9: Dare we ask?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's the big question. I appreciate you asking, and as you also know, I'm unable to tell you with S one on file, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: We keep the dance going, Andrew Fellman, it's so good to have you Ceo Cerebra systance. We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Lott.
Speaker 5: We go stick with AI infrastructure now, because spending has been dominant theme inequities ever since CHATCHYBT ten. Everyone's attention to the technology, and of course it's compute needs. But the proliferation of data centers across the United States is putting pressure on energy supply and sending wholesale electricity costs a sawing for you for customers paying their bills. It's more on this with the big take. Let's bring in Bloombog pot Power reporter Josh saul Sot of Bloomberg Data is reporter Leo Nicoletti, and I start with you, Josh, the compute You go down to the individuals this is affecting you, particularly go to Baltimore. Can you tell us a little bit about how you found these individuals and what the effect on them is of Well, basically all the data center is being built pretty close to.
Speaker 11: Them, right.
Speaker 7: So the headline here is that data centers and their massive power demands are driving up power bills for everyone. The people that we spoke to in Baltimore are some we found because they had testified in a city council meeting about their bills. Some we found because they were eating eggs next to us at a diner. We talked to a lot of people and everyone's really upset and having a hard time paying their power bills because of this effect.
Speaker 2: Leo.
Speaker 4: This is the latest in a series really of pieces of data journalism from this newsroom about the impact of the buildout in data centers. Just explain methodology and the data set that we arrived at that gave us that headline.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so, you know, essentially, we dove into very granular data on wholesale power prices, which is an important component of what then makes up power bills, and we looked at locations tens of thousands of locations throughout the country and we kind of related it to the location of data centers. And what we found essentially is that areas located closer to data center activity are much more likely to experience price increases than areas located far from data centers.
Speaker 5: That's what's so interesting about data center ali in the Virginia region, and this is why you go to Baltimore.
Speaker 9: Can you, therefore, just break.
Speaker 5: Down us in New York are we going to be feeling the impact? How are you going to start seeing people built up and affected by region that they live, and how certain local government is going to have to stand in and help in some way.
Speaker 7: Data centers affect power prices and your power bills in two main ways. One, they just use up so much power that economics one O one it makes power more expensive for everyone else. And two they require so much infrastructure, you know, new transmission lines, new power plants. The way utilities work is those costs are spread out among everyone. The reason this might matter for some of your some of our some of our listeners here, maybe they pay their their like I pay my power bill, fine, that's okay, and some poor people have a hard time paying theirs.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: But it can really affect these companies because if data center developers, big tech firms have a harder time connecting to the grid, or if that's slowed down because of public anger, that slows down some of these AI plays like we're just listening to. And it can also hurt utilities if they're if regulators tell them that they that they need to do something differently, that can affect everything from their share price to their future planning.
Speaker 2: LEO.
Speaker 4: You know, data analysis can take you in lots of different directions. So the headline is up to two hundred and sixty seven percent more. But were we able to rank, you know, in which geographies regions this this gain in price is most present and what are the factors behind it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so we looked at data, like I said, all over the country, tens of thousands of locations, and of course there are areas in the country that are more effected than others, especially on the east coast, the northeast, the PJM grid in Northern Virginia. But also interesting Baltimore, which doesn't have data centers immediately nearby, but it is actually very close to Northern Virginia that is Data Center Alley. And what we found is people and locations in the Baltimore area were experiencing some of the highest increases, sometimes three times as much since twenty twenty in twenty twenty five than other parts of the country.
Speaker 4: It is today's Bloomberg Big Take the impact of AI data centers on boosting the cost of electricity consumers. Check it out Bloomberg. Joshul Elia Nicoletti, thank you very much. Now coming up. Shares of Spotify and lower today as the company announces changes in the C suite with the departure of CEO Daniel k And it is moving the stock a little bit lower. We'll have more next, This is Bloomberg Tech. Big changes over at Spotify. CEO Daniel k is stepping aside after almost two decades, leaving the leadership in the hands of Chief Products and Technology Officer good Stuff Pseudostrom and Chief Business Officer Alex Norstrom starting January first. The two officers have been co president since twenty twenty three and have been largely leading strategic and operational development. Bloomberg's Spotify reporter actually, Carmen, it's with us on set.
Speaker 2: You know, the stock tells a story.
Speaker 4: It's down more than five percent on the news, but we gave the context. After two decades, Daniel k is passing on.
Speaker 14: The torch right and a founder, So that's obviously always going to be big news, and investors always have strong feelings about that. But the way they're portraying this is that kind of status quo. They're saying Alex and Gustav have been doing this work essentially since they took over as co presidents, and that Daniel's kind of the visionary and he's still going to be very hands on.
Speaker 9: That's what they're telling everybody.
Speaker 5: But what's not status quo is the world of music and the way in which Spotify is trying to identify new ways of doing audio books and trying to galvanize people perhaps around AI development of music and whether or not they want to be paying actual musicians royalties. How will these two leaders navigate that?
Speaker 14: That's the big question. I mean, they're portraying this as a huge opportunity, right, AI music, huge new frontier to do markets that have never really adopted streaming or haven't in the same amount that the US and Europe have.
Speaker 9: But these are also the big challenges.
Speaker 14: I mean, there's a world in which if everyone can create their own music, do they need to have a streaming service? So these are the big questions that Spotify and alex Obusep are going to have to answer. Can they actually bring the value of AI, get these emerging markets to pay more, and then from a video front, compete with YouTube.
Speaker 4: I think it's worth a health check on Spotify generally, Like at the end of twenty twenty two, this was a seventy five eighty dollars stock It's now six hundred and eighty nine dollars, Like, clearly something's going right there. I spend quite a lot of time on Spotify. I know carrots too. They're still dominant in certain categories like how do you see them as the beat reporter?
Speaker 14: Yeah, no, they absolutely are the biggest music streaming service, so they have owned that category completely. Part of the reason the stock was down at that time was because they had been investing so much money in podcasting.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and the investors didn't like that.
Speaker 14: Now in this past year, I mean they switched to a loss now, but they were profitable for a full year.
Speaker 9: They showed they can do this.
Speaker 14: Investors loved that, and I think they just have this new confidence that they're going to spend their money more wisely and if necessarily, flip the switch to turn to profitability.
Speaker 5: Now. That was a big message for met himself. I leave it in profitable hands. I leave it on a high. Basically, what's he leaving to do because he's staying on as chair, is going to be there for strategy. But he has been active in founderland, building new companies and new ventures and backing defense ones, health ones exactly.
Speaker 14: So he didn't really speak about that. He really kept to focus on Spotify. But it does seem like he's going to spend more of his time in his investments, probably focusing.
Speaker 9: On what they're up to.
Speaker 14: But he is again really saying he's going to be involved in the day to day with Spotify. He's going to be sharing his office as he does with Alex and Gustav as well.
Speaker 5: Actually common of Bloomberg, So appreciate the time on little things Spotify. Meanwhile, coming up, we speak the Microsoft Security Corporate VP A Sir Jacka, as the company unveils Microsoft Sentinel or improvements to it, about a unified focus on security.
Speaker 9: This is a Bloomberg Tech