Speaker 1: You're tuned into.
Speaker 2: Heat Check, but just stay quick. On this episode of the Heat Check, so much poppin. We haven't even had to talk about heim Udoka. Now he might be the next NETS coach. I keep saying, we're gonna do an emergency plow, We're gonna do an emergency pod and I don't know if he's gonna be hired.
Speaker 1: So let's just talk about it now, shall we.
Speaker 2: Let's get into Russell Westprook. Give a little love for our guy who's leading the clubhouse in six.
Speaker 1: Man of the Year. I don't know twenty four hours after a.
Speaker 2: Tweet where I said, hear me out six Man of.
Speaker 1: The Year, how Steven Adams is the strongest man in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Keep circling every single year, every couple.
Speaker 1: Years, but there's.
Speaker 2: Some funny anecdotes that I thought I would point out. Give him some shine and what he thinks is leading to how strong he is, which you will never believe what it is, never ever expect it. And I guess, really, is Kyrie Irving too toxic for any NBA team? Lastly, we break down Sam Hauser, who, yeah, exactly the beat and the league is on fire, So do me a favor Nick and drop that motherfucking beat Brooklyn, Brooklyn, Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: What can you say? They are in crisis mode.
Speaker 2: We knew that they would be, like we've known this, but it's like it just keeps getting worse and then I have to talk about it. I turned on ESPN, I turned on NBA today, I turned on NBA TV, turned on the radio, and all they could talk about was Kyrie, Kyrie, Kyrie, Kyrie. Can we stop it? Like until we figure out what's going on with the man? There's nothing new that's going on in the last four days. Kind of feels like it's just a little much. And I get it, Like I even I said that it's probably one of the biggest stories. And Michael Jordan retiring in the middle of his prime, Like I get that. Kyrie has already missed two games and there is now rumors this week he's going to be meeting with that I'm silver, so now the league might get involved.
Speaker 1: And the Nets, by the way.
Speaker 2: Are two to zero since he's been suspended. So that's the take that narrative. Huh, what a shit show it is. And we have not talked at all at all about the Nets apparent plan to bring in former Boston Celtics. Well, I guess he's sort of currently still the Boston Celtics head coach. He's just on temporary suspension, which we know is like a for real forever suspension. But anyway, is he the air apparent to take over for the fired Steve Nash. A lot of people at one point said that he was for those who have been sleeping under a rock. Emi Udoka took over for a very multuous Boston team. They had a ton of turmoil at the start of last year. Why you say, Well, Danny Ainge was forced to retire and then come out of unretiring to go to the Jazz but he was apparently never gonna do anything with the NBA again. Brad Stevens steps down, he steps down to step up, He steps down from being the head coach, steps up to be in the GM. You have the verge of splitting up Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown and maybe trading Marcus smart Away.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was uh took over for a.
Speaker 2: Team in disarray and things weren't working well at first. In fact, the Celtics were under five hundred at the halfway point before before Ema Udokah's plans started really coming in the rest of the season. They were probably the best team in basketball, made it all the way to the NBA Finals. They lost in six, as we know, to the War. So at that point things could have not looked better for Boston or for Udoka. And then boom, all the rumors swirling, the reports about the trouble in Boston, and then out of the blue, the Celtics announced they were suspending him for the entire season and that Joe Missoula Joe Mohula would be taking over. So it was a consensual affair with a married Celtics employee. There was an investigation, as we know, discovered that he had also used crude language before the start of their improper relationship. Oh you mean sexting?
Speaker 1: You mean that?
Speaker 2: Then the affair was reportedly discovered by the husband via ring doorbell camera. The husband allegedly also worked for the Boston Celtics.
Speaker 1: Important wrinkle to note, which.
Speaker 2: Let's face a very very unexpected way to get caught cheating, is a conversation via ring Hey baby is sis Udoka? Hey open up the doors. Wait, he wasn't just bringing over his travel plants, So yeah, Udoka has been quiet. There's been an apology and tower Joe Sai enter the Brooklyn Nets, Nash gets fired immediately the rumor bringing Udoka. He's the only one that they're looking at. That's what Sean said. It's all a done deal. And then all the Kyrie shit happened, and now it's like ooh ooh.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's hard to keep up though really with what's going on. So he was not introduced as the new head coach, and now we know why. According to Mark stein Leaks, sources say that there have been some strong voices urging Josi to back off of the Nets' intention to hire suspended Celtics coach Ema Udoka, considerable given the considerable turmoil Brooklyn has already faced this season. So it seems like this hiring is now on hold.
Speaker 1: I have thoughts two things.
Speaker 2: One before we get into it, I have two things that I must disclose. Number one, this is November seven, twenty twenty two. I have not heard any news. So if there are news that comes out the e may Udoka, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not even gonna.
Speaker 2: Put it out under the ether, but that it was a non consensual relationship in any way that changes things. Two, I am from Portland, Oregon. I lived I grew up like a mile away from emay Udoka. Not a lot of people that grew up in Portland raised to the heights of ime Udoka. So there's there probably is some bias here. He and his two assistants went to the same uh well, his two assistants went to the same middle school as me. Damon Stoddamyer Portland legend was there much before I was. Aaron Miles, my guy grew up with him, went to the same middle school at the same time. He was a legend and Orland in the high school ranks as well. So yeah, I was a fan of hiring, I was a fan of the success, and I was a fan of my hometown doing something of good. So this leads me to this what Ima Yudoka did, because I think there's a lot of people who think that he should never coach again, that what he did was so egregious that he should just never be allowed. And there's media members that say he's probably done. What he did was dumb.
Speaker 1: Obviously you don't.
Speaker 2: First of all, you can't get caught on a ring camera, right He just like you. Obviously shouldn't have been at someone's house that works in the organization and is married. We know that that broke a bunch of not only cardinal sins, you know, smashing at somebody else's crib that's not good, but also organizational rules as well. And to that end, he was punished to the letter of the law about it, severely as you could be punished by the Boston Celtics. Did not commit a crime as far as I know, and he didn't break any laws. But for whatever reason, he's being treated like some criminal because nobody thinks he should coach anywhere. Ever, again, consensual relationship with someone inside the Boston Celtics. I don't know what the fuck that has to do with the Brooklyn Nets. What does that have to do with them? What does that girl, that woman have to do with the Nets? Does did he break any NETS protocol? No, no laws, no NETS protocol, Boston rules, gets severely punished to the letter of the law in the Boston system.
Speaker 1: How much more punishment does he deserve? What else is there to do?
Speaker 2: If you were a CEO, you're the man in charge for Microsoft, and you fuck around with an engineer on your team or on and the end is married and you get and it's against the protocol for Microsoft. What does that have to do with Apple? If Apple wants to hire you?
Speaker 1: Nothing has nothing.
Speaker 2: You just can't work in the NBA. Again, just can't work in tech ever. Again, I don't understand it. I don't understand it. It would if he was to do the exact same thing working in Brooklyn with the woman in Boston, same woman, same smash. Now there's no rules broken. It only applies inside of the Boston universe. I get the hierarchical nature of you know, not messing around with subordinates. How it looks, how power dynamics work. I'm gonna say something controversial. As a woman, I know that there are women who are young in their careers who find power very attractive. They do not. That is not a thing where they believe they're going up the ladder. They're just more to you now that you have that power. Is it possible that she pursued e may Udoka. He's a good looking dude. He's engaged in me along. I don't know, but not all that to say, none of us should disqualify him from being the head coach of the Nets and women who are apparently coming forward within the net Nets organization somehow believe that I may Udoka is some sort of predator. They're making him out like, what does this mean for women? What does that even mean?
Speaker 1: What does this mean for women?
Speaker 2: He was a former assistant for the Nets. He's got a deep understanding of the workings of the team. He has a personal relationship with Katie and Kyrie. He was the only thing keeping that defense together when he was the assistant of the Brooklyn Nets. He's a defensive minded coach. The Brooklyn Nets need a defensive minded coach. The Boston Celtics had their defense turned around with the wonky roster in his first year, became the number one defense in the NBA. So yeah, I understand that it's not great optics, but you gotta win some games, baby, you gotta win some games. Reports today by Mark Stein claim that there are strong voices that Stein referred to that are advising against the hiring that were not just female employees for the Brooklyn Nets, but possibly Adam Silver, who is reportingly stepping in on this as well.
Speaker 1: I don't understand what's going on.
Speaker 2: I don't I really don't.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: It's like he's damaged goods and there's a stain on him right now and he's still serving the suspension for the crime. Right. I know that there are gonna be women with serious questions because that there are rumors that have not been addressed. But like, at the end of the day, consensual relationship with a female employee, does that crime fit the punishment of losing your entire career when you're pretty good at that thing. No, no, it does not.
Speaker 1: I do not think that is fair. I do not think that is right.
Speaker 2: And I do not think that we as human beings can sit up here and be on our little high horse pretending like we don't do anything in our personal lives that could potentially jeopardize us in our professional setting. And if I do something here at Odyssey, does that mean that I can't work for Westwood One, I can't work for iHeart, I can't do a podcast with Spotify?
Speaker 1: What the fuck? I do not understand. There has not been.
Speaker 2: Any reporting that Emai Udoka did anything other than have a consensual relationship. And until that reporting comes out that's valid and ironclad, then that's the information that we have to go on, He's already been removed of being a head coach of a team that's currently the odds on favorite to win the time. How much worse can it get?
Speaker 1: Honestly, don't you guys think like?
Speaker 2: Truthly, him taking this job is the punishment. Taking the Brooklyn Nets job is the punishment you went from Brooklyn. You went from Boston Celtics odds on favorite to win the title to this fucking dumpster fire. That's your punishment. You are now the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets. Congratulations, I mean, come on now, this is a team. He needs a redemption arc ARC. They need a redemption arc. Perfect fit to me, It makes Brooklyn the perfect job for Emai Udoka and email Udoka the perfect man for the job.