Speaker 1: It's time to raise the room for our latest regular season podcast. Welcome back everyone to the pod, officially part of the Dust Baseball Media Network. I am your host, Alex Murphy. With me today the boys, Evan Lynch and Gibbie. Guys, how are we doing pretty good?
Speaker 2: Alex?
Speaker 3: Pretty good? The Lightning lost on Sunday, but I bet Evan. I bet Evan's feeling pretty good because the Hurricanes are still doing their things.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I don't know. I don't know how we won that game on on Monday night, Alex. We did not play well.
Speaker 1: The Philly Sports had two winnable games and lost both of them in Game two.
Speaker 4: But hey, six Sixers upset the Celtics. I mean that was you guys deserve to win that series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like, I also don't like the Knicks, and I want to beat the Knicks, and they lost yesterday and that's not really helping out.
Speaker 3: Well, at least at least you beat the Celtics, and everyone hates the Celtics, so that I hate the Sixers, but I like him for that.
Speaker 2: But also the Orlando Tragic, you know, did the same.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a team score nineteen points in the second half.
Speaker 3: I mean that was yeah, that was horrible. I'm and I was watching. I started watching that game in the second half. I was like, oh wow, we're gonna freaking go on to the and then oh my god, I just didn't do anything.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, that was a rough watch. Sorry about that.
Speaker 2: That was really rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah the France could stay healthy, you never know. But oh yeah, unfortunately he gets in the whole time. That's my boy. I love Franz, but yeah, I know why you like him. Yeah go blue. Yeah, no, you should like Derek Queen in the same way that you like Franz Bogner and I love I love Darrek Queen.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: The Pelicans just stink. The Pelicans do. So this is a very accurate statement. He's a stud. Though he's awesome. He should get traded to a good team like the Sixers. That would be cool team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, imagine, imagine it's you know, so I will say the Rays have had some luck in some some trades recently, but like imagine, I mean, I'm not going to get into whole belou thing. Because he had another home run last night. I'm really sad about that, and I'm like, you know, what man, it'd be like, imagine how much better this team would be to have him there, but also imagine how like this team is as good as they are without him, which is pretty damn impressive, to be fully honest.
Speaker 4: But no, I do. I do miss him dearly.
Speaker 2: But the.
Speaker 1: The six are probably gonna get swept, flyers are probably gonna get left.
Speaker 4: I do think what was it?
Speaker 1: Ben Stiller was like pissed off that he was at the metcal because he would have rather been at MSG watching the watching this game, which I'm like, that's a true fan, Like, you would never catch me doing that.
Speaker 4: If there was something going on in the Tampa.
Speaker 1: Area and it was it was between that and the Rays game, no question I'd be at there.
Speaker 4: But I feel like he could. I feel like he I mean, you have to go to the Metcala like he'd be. I think I don't think that he had to.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I was in his position, no way in hell I'd be at the Mecal.
Speaker 4: I'd be at the way.
Speaker 2: He's going to the Mets gala.
Speaker 4: The Mets.
Speaker 1: The Mets are objectively bad at baseball, guys, Yay, objectively they are really bad. They are, thank god, the Rays aren't the Mets. If the Rays were the Mets, I think that. I mean a lot of things would be different. The whole stadium thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd been hosting one episode a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would not be fun. At least the team's exciting now, which is most important thing. But yeah, going into Race talk, So the Razer twenty four and twelve, the Race have swept two straight series. The Race have five series sweeps on the season. I believe they have four series sweeps at home. They are like twelve and one in their last thirteen games. They've lost two games against teams that aren't in the NL Central, which begs the question, how good would this team be if they didn't play the NL Central in the first month of the year. They're really good. They're really really good. They're hitting, they are pitching out of their minds. The defense has been fantastic. And this is without a bunch of major pieces in this team. Gavin Lux is still out and Joe Boyle, even though he wasn't you know, he wasn't supposed to be started to begin the season went on, the IL Ryan Papio was announced that he has major news hip surgery. He'll be missing the entire season, players like him. Steven Match just went on the il Luceda has been out for the majority of the season.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of guys who.
Speaker 1: Have been hurt on this team, and this team is still rattling off wins and finding ways to win baseball games, and it seems improbable. But at the same time, I don't think it is, like, how are we processing that. I don't know if I fully processed how good this team is, but like, how have you guys tried to process how good this team is?
Speaker 4: They're doing something dangerous to me. I still don't like, it's still hard to imagine. I mean, this team's what twelve games over five hundred. If you would have told me that that they would be at this point, I mean I would have thought you were insane. If you bet that, I assume you would have won a lot of money at the beginning of season. Once again, another podcast where I'm eating a lot of my words. Cash has been fantastic this year, and you touched on it a little bit. The pitching staff has been the best that I like, It's been the best that I can remember, Like, I don't I don't remember a pitching staff this dominant through a month and a couple of weeks into the season. This, I mean it totally. The first couple of weeks, the bullpen was not good at all, and I don't understand what happened, Like on a dime, it just completely switched. What's the stat they I'm trying to look forward on Twitter, but they have led up three or fewer runs in thirteen straight games, which is a franchise record, tied for the second longest.
Speaker 3: Three seventeen runs in It's like one point three runs a game or something.
Speaker 4: So it's crazy and we're not like, yeah, I think we're averaging like sub four runs in this twelve and one thirteen girty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like the Bats have been anything crazy by any means.
Speaker 4: No, and we've taken advantage, Like I mean the Giants. I remember, Alex, when we were talking about that series this time last week, we were like this, the Giants offense is horrible. Their last dead last in league and runs home runs. I think RBIs as well, and we kept true to that stat. So, I mean, I think they scored what three runs that entire series? That could be that's kind of a total guess I kind of forget what the scores are with that of that series.
Speaker 2: It was two runs the whole series.
Speaker 4: Two runs the whole series. Like, I mean, maybe we are playing subpar offenses like the Guardians. Yeah, probably not the best offense. But the Blue Jays I think have a pretty damn good offense and they didn't weren't successful at this past weekend so or this past series. So I mean you got to give got to give credit to situational hitting.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 4: I mean, the game on Tuesday night, I don't know how that's another game where we just stole. It's kind of like it kind of was reminiscent of the Monday opener against the Guardians last week, where I feel like we didn't necessarily deserve to win it, but we somehow scraped across enough runs and once again timely hitting late in the game eighth inning, we're able to put a put a rally up. So it's a combination of that and really really really really good pitching. Typically we need still a lot of wins than it is for the race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm with Evan. I have to eat a lot of my words because I mean, this looks like the classic Rays that we know with the good pitching and the just good enough and clutch offense that they win most of their games. I mean, they've just gone back to it's like they're in a time machine and you know, this team is on the same vibes as it was, like, you know, through the twenty through the beginning of the twenty twenties. I mean I still I've said this on Twitter a lot, but I still have to see June and July before I really believe, because I feel like those are our cursed months at least for us. But I mean the team has just been so clutch. I mean the small ball hitting. I mean, not even a lot of home runs this series, just you know, clutch hitting at the right time, getting runners in scorning position and getting them home. And yeah, like Evan said, Kevin Cash is like completely turned it around. I mean it's not like it's like last year. You know, he didn't have a bullpen to really trust, and I mean it's mostly a lot of the same guys. It's just they've had a complete turnaround. I mean one of them, Kevin Kelly, has just been He's been really good. And you know, even so even like the the lower leverage guys, I mean.
Speaker 2: Have been have just turned it around. I mean I thought this was gonna be I mean.
Speaker 3: If you if you look at our season prediction pod, I mean we all thought this would be like a pretty a pretty mid team. Uh, but you know, they've just I guess you know, you just got to throw out the paper, you know when you're talking about the Rays because you know, we forgot that the last two seasons, because you know, it's just nothing really sufficed.
Speaker 2: With the teams, and.
Speaker 3: And you know, we thought maybe the Rays magic was a little gone now, but I mean it's it's just been working and all the new additions have just worked out well. I think Nick Martinez has been just stellar. H And this is with you know, injuries that we've had. Ah, So it's just been it's been an incredible run that they've had.
Speaker 2: And I mean it.
Speaker 3: Also I also just have to say how bad the A L is. I mean, that's a that's another.
Speaker 4: Teams with a record above five hundred.
Speaker 2: And they're both in the same division.
Speaker 4: And they're both like going after each other for the.
Speaker 2: For Haymakers back and forth with with the Yankees.
Speaker 4: So yeah, why does the AL suck so much this year, Like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: I have no idea what happened?
Speaker 3: I have no idea, And I mean I would be sad if I was Toronto Blue Jayson fan, because I mean, being two inches away from the World Series and then you know the team's just not performing at all.
Speaker 2: I bet they'll.
Speaker 4: Turn How close was that play at home?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that was like one inch? Yeah it was crazy. But yeah, I mean it's just been it's been incredible. I mean I I wouldn't have expected this at all. Uh So I'll eat my words a little bit, you know, but you know, I still gotta see June and July before I really really believe. But yeah, I mean this team has been so good, incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why does the AL suck so much?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Do we have a theory for this?
Speaker 3: I feel like they're all just I feel like all the teams are a little old, you know, in terms of talent, and then and then and then National League they have a little bit more like the younger talent that's actually gonna be the next phase of the of of you know that the next top guys in baseball.
Speaker 2: I feel like that that's one theory. And then I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm trying to fixplaable.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I really don't know. I think the a L. This is kind of going to come out of left field. But I think the a L has two teams where they're like like the I think the A's and the White Sox crazy crazy polls, but I think they're like and exciting. Those are exciting. Those are two of the most exciting teams in the AL. I think. I think that definitely exciting. That is that's not sure I will agree with you on that.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think they're necessarily playoff teams this year, but I think there's a year or two away from being like division like a possible division champion. This division right now, I wouldn't be. I wouldn't be eighteen and eighteens. Like I guess the White Sox are a game in a half out and the other as are within the division like that. But that goes to my point. There are two exciting teams with a lot of really young talent. But as for the whole AL, I really don't understand it. But on the flip side, yes, they only have two teams over five hundred, but they have a lot of teams around. I mean, this is gonna sound like loser talk, but there they have a lot of teams that are hovering around five hundred. It's not like they're all ten games under five hundred. So I guess that kind of makes sense as well.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: I think the NL has a lot more very bottom feeder teams, you know, and then there's a lot more teams that are cool. I guess the worst team would be like the Angels or the Astros, and the Mets as are worse than both those.
Speaker 4: So also, I did not realize the Phillies were on an absolute tear eight and too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Phillies are. I mean the Phillies were dog water like. They were really really bad. Like I think a good indicator for how good or how bad a team is to an extent is how much ticket prices are. So Phillies ticket prices at least on like the third party markets have been expensive just for you know, going back home and going to see family.
Speaker 4: They're not they have gone down.
Speaker 1: I mean there was a game against the A's this week that was like fifteen bucks on like tick pick, and I was like that's not a lot of money. I mean for a Phillies game, that's the equivalent of like if I was to go up to DC to go see a Nats game, that's the equivalent of more or less what I would pay. And that's where a Phillies game. The Phillies have been a perennial playoff team for the last five years, where the Nats are having Curtis Meat play first base. Just to compare the two, Hey, hey, you guys say that Curtis Meats playing well this year?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I'm crazy.
Speaker 4: Fuck was that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean he showed it that that one spring training. But you know that doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: So sometimes spring training stats matter, you know what, they never matter because they matter, Yeah, because he was good and then he was bad, and then Martinez was good and now he's bad and now he's good. So there is no there is no proper understanding for how good or bad things are.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I will say I think that, and I think someone who I forget where I saw it. But they said that the Rays have like a seventy four percent chance to make the playoffs right now, even though the record for the rest of the season is projected to be in terms of like for remaining games, is projected to be below five hundred, And I think a lot of that is because of how bad the AL is this year. So I think that the Rays are going benefit from how mediocre the rest of the league is and that should help them in a potential playoff push.
Speaker 4: But we're expected to have a record of sub five hundred throughout the rest of the season. We've played so many I mean, we only have two we've played the.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I saw that I forget where I saw it, but that's what I saw. It's like it's it's like a four to ninety two winning percentage is expected for the rest of the year.
Speaker 4: Okay, I guess we haven't played the Braves yet, but like we've played.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Braves have been insane. I mean, the Braves are back to where they were before by a wide margin. Like the Braves are crazy good.
Speaker 4: Now we've I mean, but we've played the entire l Central, which who.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they said it like that, but it does make sense. I mean, if you look at like right now, if you look at where the rest of the league is it's not like the league has been good at all, which helps out a team like the Rays where if they scuffle, they have a bad July or something like that, which the Rays have been prone to do in recent years, they can get back into the playoffs or keep a playoff spot because you know, eighty six wins might be what gets them in, Like they don't, you know, you don't need It doesn't seem like you need the kind of wins that you've needed in years before. I mean, you gotta remember the Rays have had two or three seasons in franchise history, at least two where they've won nine year more games and haven't made the playoffs. So now with the third wild card spot, and also with the league itself being down, that should help them out to get in because of the fact that everyone else is down. So like that that becomes a benefit for the Rays that maybe we didn't see before the season because a lot of teams that we thought were gonna be up are and up.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now we go back to something give you said about the bullpen too. It's it's really weird like you thinking about last year. Obviously, we had a ton of negative things to say about the bullpen, and it's like it didn't really change at the beginning season, Like I always thought that was rush. I was like, what the hell, Like the bullpen was clearly an issue last year. This team makes the playoffs last year without if not for the bullpen, and then early in the season nothing changed. It's very strange that it's like if something changed even with the same personnel during the offseason, that makes sense a little bit. It's like, oh, they were working on techniques or whatever. It's just crazy how it just happening on the flip of the dime, Like is it just contagious? Is it that mental? Like it's crazy how it doesn't make any sense to me. Kind of got to get props to the coaching staff for that.
Speaker 3: My theory on it is that, I mean it's just the trop effect, because I mean, bigger stadium obviously, you know people talk about that, but also just the amount of foul territory that's in the Tropic Candid Field as opposed to Steinbrederfield. That just gives you way more outs and like, I mean, that's not going to affect it too much. But also you know, our players aren't sweating their ass off you know, after being in the troup for for so long before last season, I mean, there's just I feel like that that definitely has an effect, you know, because I always look at the chop I'm like, we have so much foul territory because you know and and Starbutter before, like the seats that are that that were you know the season.
Speaker 4: I mean it hugs the line down the line for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it hugs the line, hugs the foul line, and the.
Speaker 4: Bullpens are in play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, the the foul lines were basically when you got down to the bullpens, there was no foul line. Now there's ample foul line as you go down each of the lines because of how everything is. Yeah, and it's not like a crazy difference, but it's enough of a difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Maybe. I mean we did start the season with three Street road with three Street series on the road, so you know, I mean they struggled on the road and then they get a series at home where they start to build some confidence in It's just that mental aspect of the game. But it is cool that the Rays are like that. It is the old Rays where it's the well now with the pitch clock. It's just short games straight to the point that I don't know. The best way I can put it is just they're simplifying the game. It's just get out, get a couple of runs across, and that's it, and chalk it up to a win. Like I it's it's very simple. But that's kind of what the game happened, or the game yesterday, it was like it was I mean, it took like I swear the game ended it like three o'clock. It was like a two hour game. Yeah, it was maybe suba.
Speaker 3: It could have it could have been some two hour but you know, the eighth inning kind of dragged on, yeah a little bit, but I mean big.
Speaker 4: Big comeback in the eighth inning for the boys by the.
Speaker 2: Way, Oh yeah, oh yeah, but oh on.
Speaker 4: Was that that was Tuesday? Yeah it was Tuesday.
Speaker 6: No, no, I have a comeback in Then in yesterday's game they scored two runs in the age Wednesday On went, oh, sorry, I was putting the wrong days together.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They had du Luk ahead the rb I double which Arona scored, uh, and then they had that weird double play where it was a bad play and then Mullen scored from third and there was the other run in the middle that got Simpsons scored.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was the RBI single from Simpson, Right, I got I got my games mixed up? Well, I I I will say, because because we did talk about I forgot who we talked about this with last year. But it does make a lot of sense that just being at the trop I think is going to help this team out and has already helped this team out because there's some semblance of structure that they didn't have at Steinbrenners. So you guys remember the whole the massive front loading the schedule at home versus playing on the road so much in the summer. Now the series are a lot more balanced outside of that nine games to start the season out. You take that out, a lot of this series are a lot more balanced right now. The Rays are, you know, playing in a place that they're familiar with. Even the guys that are new, it's still a familiar place for most of the players and for the personnel. You know, people like Kevin Cash and Kyle Snyder and you know Ozzie Timmans coming back, So you have a lot of that, and I mean, I think it might literally just come down to, like there's not chaos. Yeah, Like there was chaos last year because of them having to move into a new part, because of them having to play like forty six of their first sixty games at home, because of the fact that they went on the road for basically the entire month of July and August. Like they don't have that right now. They have the normal schedule, they have the normal series. They have the six game series here, the three game series on the road, the nine game series at home, the seven game series on the road.
Speaker 4: It's not like.
Speaker 1: Thirteen games at home, three games on the road, ten games at home, twelve games on the road. Like I think things are more balanced, and I I mean, I hate to just put that as as as the reason, but it might be as simple as that, Like it literally might just be America's Ballpark, Like it might just be the chop Like it makes sense, doesn't it, Like am I going crazy?
Speaker 4: No? No?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean no freaking rain delays either.
Speaker 1: No, the raindelays are I mean, it's not like they somehow the Rays didn't have a postponed game last year at all, which is still kudos to however that worked out because that's insane. But yeah, I mean, no, no rain delays. Everything is going to start on time. Most of the games are going to start at the right time because there's not weird time differences with you know, with games being outdoors, like they don't have to change things aroun that can keep the schedule as normal during the week and then during the weekend. It's I think it's like structure might just be the only thing that that was necessary. Structure was the thing that they needed in order to be successful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well, we do have another series coming up this weekend. The Rays are playing who seems to be the streaking Boston Red Sox. And just to sum up what's happened over the last six games, specifically, Ray swept the Giants. Rays swept the Blue Jays looked really, really solid. The Blue Jays can't play at the trap at all. They're like fifty two to one oh four at the TRUP since two thousand and eight, which is an insane record over a span of about seventeen years. The Giants, the Rays just dominated them that that entire series. And now we're here in the Raiser twenty four and twelve going into a road series against the Red Sox should be an interesting series because the Red Sox just swept their last series. Do we have pitching matchups?
Speaker 4: How are we? How we panned out this series in Boston? I do it's four gamer ESPN tonight?
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, ESPN stand alone, ESPN stand alone for the first time, and god knows.
Speaker 4: How long so got along with Cain's Flyers Game three as well. Alex, you don't need to watch that game. It's dude, it's not It's not Ny.
Speaker 1: The Flyers could come back because they're in Philly, and Philly fans are relentless people.
Speaker 4: And you guys played extremely well on Monday. So but anyway, tonight's game it's Griffin Jackson first Jake Bennett, and then Friday we have not decided to pitch it yet versus Connolly early, and then Saturday's game is Nick Martinez and they also have not decided to start her for Saturday's game, which that probably mean that leaves Rasmussen and also undecided for the Red Sox on Sunday. So sorry, not not much pitching news is available yet, so.
Speaker 1: Looking at that, Boyle just pitched in Durham, but he won't be back for a little bit. I would assume that the TBD spot is probably Matts's spot in the rotation. If we're pinpointing something, Steven matches on the il. By the way, for those that didn't see, it was elbow inflammation, not really encouraging stuff there. But also this is his first time being a starter in a couple of years, so I can understand at least why hopefully it's nothing crazy.
Speaker 4: But yeah, or was it shoulder information?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I think it was elblow information. Yeah, yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: So I would assume I don't know who's going to do in the spot start or who would do the spot start or whatever how they're gonna devise it on on on Friday. Uh, the jack spot For those that didn't see it, seems like the Raiser are going to try to turn Griffin Jackson to a starter or hopefully mold him more into a starter. Usually how it's worked this year is that I guess for the couple outings that Jackson has been the starter quote unquote, he's pitched like two and a third, two and two thirds, maybe get up the three innings, and then Jesse Schultens has come in and kind of relieved him after that point. So I would assume that that's the duo that's gonna happen there. I don't know. I think Mason Englert might be the guy because I think he was called back up to the team after being sent down to Durham, so he might be the guy who gets Bulke innings on Friday. But I don't quite know. This is kind of a it feels like a crapshoot series to an extent with the pitching matchups, because it's not there's nothing. I mean, the first half of the series isn't really solidified. The back half is, but the first half not not as much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, we're kind of already, I mean, speaking of the Old Rays, I mean this is kind of you know, the stereotypical Old Rays, you know, where you know, we have a really good starting pitcher, but then you know, injuries happen and all that. So hopefully, you know, with that kind of bullpinished day and that's Friday, I guess, yeah, hopefully they can be really solid there and you know, just keep going with how good our bullpen has been. But we have lost a lot of those bullpen games, so that'll be interesting to see. Also, we just we don't play too good at Fenway most of the time. But well, especially with that Brandon Law, because I feel like Brandon Law was always the Fenway merchant dude. I mean he would always crush ball man.
Speaker 4: What a guy?
Speaker 2: What a guy?
Speaker 1: Is this gonna be like a thing the entire year, where like, whenever you guys bring him up, we're just gonna bring him up to piss me off.
Speaker 2: We're just rage baiting Alex.
Speaker 4: That's what it is, guys, We're rage We're rage bait podcast. Let's go our own host. No, I mean, I don't bring him up to rage bait you. I just bring him up just because you know it's him. I just I miss him so much.
Speaker 3: But I mean, hopefully the pitching just you know, keeps doing what it's doing. I mean, I feel like we're we're due for for a bad series.
Speaker 2: So I I hope.
Speaker 3: I'm wrong, you know, and you know Fenway sometimes isn't too kind to us, So I mean, I just don't want to get the Red Sox hot.
Speaker 2: That's that's my thing.
Speaker 3: I don't I I hope we at least split the series. If not win it, Uh no, that would be the most ideal. And then you know, we have tons of Division opponents after that. I feel like we've been not playing Division opponents until this last series. You know, we only had the Yankees before that, and we're playing the freaking n L Central all the time. So I mean this is kind of the start of the of you know, the Division plays. So you know, let's see how that goes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, if if this series was happening two weeks ago, I'd expect winning three out of four. I mean three weeks ago they lost those ten to three. The next day they won seventeen to one, and then fired their entire coaching staff. So and they've they've seemed to the REDI have been there a lot. They've like they've come back a little bit, not like super impressively, but I mean they're six and four in the last ten games. They just came off of a three game sweep in Detroit, so that's the that's pretty impressive. So yeah, like, like you said, Gibbie, Benwy has been a weird place the last couple of years for us. If we get out of the series with a two to two split, I'm totally fine with that, but this series does is kind of scaring me, just the combination of us being insanely hot, and I think that's gonna it's gonna come back down to I don't think we're going to come back down to like the five hundred level, but I think we're gonna come back down to earth a little bit. It's just I don't know when that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna Yeah, you know it's unsustainable right now, right, you.
Speaker 4: Can't win twelve out of thirteen games all the time. I understand that it's going to end some point, and and yeah, and the Socks are showing some life. So I'm cool with a two to two split, especially considering our pitching matchups are not the most favorable, I don't think, but yeah, hopefully our offense can get get going if that would be obviously huge. Like like we said earlier, the offense hasn't been like it's been.
Speaker 1: It's been good enough, but the pitching right and insane, which has carried the offense.
Speaker 4: Right. I think we said the stat earlier where they've over this thirteen game stretch they've averaged fewer than four runs a game, and there's twelve and one, so that basically explains it all. So if we can get the offense going a little bit during the series, maybe get a couple five six game run games. Fenway obviously is very favorable for that too, so get some confidence going at the plate, and hopefully we can hopefully our injuries on the pitching staff don't bite us too much. The series. Yeah, I think it'll be an interesting series overall.
Speaker 1: And you know, the Rays being on network cable television end, you know, national broadcast. I wonder if that's gonna change anything, because we know the ongoing joke of the Rays not being able to play on national nationally broadcasted games.
Speaker 4: Which would be very very funny, but also not.
Speaker 1: Really idea to start out a series after you go twelve, twelve and one in your last thirteen. But unless you're like and even you know, there's not like I was gonna say, like the Dodgers is a joke, but like, the Dodgers really have them be an amazing So, like, teams don't usually sustain things like this, and I'm not really expecting the race too, but if they pull out a series win or if they sweep again, then I don't know what the hell to think about this team because holy shit, that would be nuts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that would that. I mean, that would be crazy, But I mean I doubt it.
Speaker 4: But hey, at this point, I don't doubt anything with this. Yeah, I thought this was gonna be a five. I thought this team was gonna be a five hundred baseball team. In a general sense. I thought they were good enough to be better than last year. I didn't think that they were going to be like playoff good enough, and right now they're playoff good enough. So I wouldn't put anything past them. I'll put it that way. Yeah, if this team's sweet, if they sweep four games in Fenway, I'm on board. They're gonna do some dangerous things to my mentality. Believe you guys. Yeah, I don't. Like I said, it's not like the Red Soxe. It's not like they're going in and sweeping the break was in a four game series like that, that would be totally different. I'm not saying that in terms of the Red Sox being a really, really good team, but sweeping a four game series on the road against any division rival, I don't care who it is, even if it's like the Orioles. No offense, this is kind of a straight but like the Orioles of what was that twenty twenty one or twenty nineteen, I forget when they were really really bad.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah that was No, I was twenty one because that was when Brett Phillips had the or that was when the Rays were like nineteen and one again or eighteen of yeah, seventeen one, however many games, because that's when they had more games in the AL against Alist upon its before they changed it to a whole everyone playing everyone.
Speaker 4: Thing Like no, no, I think you're exactly right. So, like I mean, even even sweeping teams that are that bad in the division I think is always tough, let alone a Red Sox team, who I guess is they're five games under five hundred, so still not great, but like I said, much better than they were two weeks ago. This is true.
Speaker 1: But the Rays are playing really well, and I know, I mean, they're just playing well.
Speaker 4: I don't know how else to describe it.
Speaker 1: The Rays are a really good baseball team right now, and they are seemingly firing on all cylinders with a team that feels like it's like eighty percent complete or like eighty five percent complete. And I don't know how they're doing it, but they're doing it like it just it's like boggling my mind. But I'm also not angry about it at all. Why would I be angry about my team being as good as they are. That seems like a stupid thing to be angry about. I am very happy that all Yankees fans are pissed off because the Yankees have been so good recently and they've basically gained no ground on the Rays. I mean, they've getting ground on like the rest of the league, but like the Rays specifically, they just can't I know, but that goes both ways. I love how Yankees fans are just like I feel like there's an consumption. It's just like, oh, the Yankees will keep winning, but every other team should lose.
Speaker 4: It's like, what, like, no, we're not gonna entitled. This is how life works exactly that. The entitlement is the perfect word.
Speaker 1: I think freaking Yankees fandly the entitlement.
Speaker 4: I don't like it.
Speaker 5: Hi, everyone, Alex here with a quick word from our sponsor. Seek Sea Geek is your one stop shop for tickets for everything from live theater and concerts to sporting events like Raise games. Seakeek uses a color coded scale to show you where the best deals are, with green being good and read being bad. If you haven't used sea Geek before, we have a special deal just for you. Use code raise the Roof. That's raised spelled r a ys at checkout for twenty dollars off your first purchase with sea Geek. Again, that's code Raise the Roof for twenty dollars off your first sea Geek purchase. Thanks so much to sea Geek for sponsoring us, and let's get back to this latest episode of Raise the Roof.
Speaker 1: So pick up players for this series. Who we got, who we like, and who do you we think is gonna do well? Gibby, I'll start with.
Speaker 3: You, okay, uh, you know, pitching wise, give me Kevin Kelly because you know, I just I just liked his vibes this season.
Speaker 2: You know, he's really turning around. I felt bad. You know, last year we were really on his ass.
Speaker 4: I mean, he wasn't good, he wasn't good.
Speaker 3: It was kind of deserved. But you know, he's really turned it around. So I'll give my pick a player to him. Maybe he'll have some clutch innings in the late late game.
Speaker 2: Uh so, yeah, I'll give.
Speaker 3: Kevin Kelly there and then shit, you know, yesterday the way I saw Jonathan Ronda just getting locked like every at bat because he's so hot these last like ten or so games. I'm picking Jonathan Ronda because I mean, he's just been he's been the best offensive player, so I mean the last two weeks, last week and a half maybe, uh so, yeah, I'm getting I'm I'm picking Jonathan Ronda.
Speaker 2: Just because I mean he's started.
Speaker 3: They're starting to walk him like he's very bonds or something, and I don't know, uh.
Speaker 4: So he could be very bonds, you never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are my two I got.
Speaker 4: My positional player is somebody that nobody has picked this season because he's been injured, but Gavin Lux. I believe Gavin welcome to the pod. I believe that he is returning this he's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Ryan Bass said he's supposed to be returning as early as Friday as what I saw.
Speaker 2: So we're excited.
Speaker 4: I think we're all excited to have him. I'm interested. I'm intrigued to see what the corresponding move will be, but yeah, I'm excited to see him. He's obviously one of the bigger free agent deals that we gave out this offense season to replace not to bring him up again, Alex, but to replace a very big hole in the lineup that we had. And then I'm gonna pick, I'm gonna I'm gonna keep. I'm gonna go with my guy, Cole Sultzer. He's had probably yeah what what Gibby just said, Uh, the he's probably been I'd say he's been our best or like our most surprising, Like he's been good with the Rays, like consistently, it's not like some bullshit thing like maybe maybe other than Nick Martinez, Sultzer has been probably the second most surprising, not addition obviously we've had him on the team, but like just player performance, he's been unbelievable on the mound, He's he's been thrown into several different situations. I think he has what two or three saves on the season two. He's been legitimately a stuff this year. He is his win He's two two seven with a one three whip. One three whip actually seems kind of high for what he's been putting out there, but whatever, he's been really really good recently, so hopefully he I'm predicting he'll get He'll get out there and get a save. He'll get a saved this series. That's my my my prediction. Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, well, in solidarity, I will pick Below as always.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say posthumously, and then I was like, nah, that's fucked up to.
Speaker 4: Say, yeah, that's a that's a bit different, that's a little that he might not be all to raise for those who don't know that the Pirates are in Arizona today and then they're in San Francisco this weekend.
Speaker 1: This is going to turn into by I raise the roof by the end of the season. Uh, you know, but Below and Solidarity, and then let's see who I want to pick for. You know what, Junior hasn't hit a home run a little bit, and I know, like he's you know, he's the big guy, but like he hasn't hit a bomb in a little bit. It's given a couple of homers over the Yeah, I was gonna say scale the Monster. Uh and and you know, I have a good series. And then on the mound, let me go with it. If if Anglert is supposed to pitch this series, give me Anglert. Uh if he isn't supposed to pitch this series. Then let's go with Cleb because Cleb's back and he's looked pretty solid since.
Speaker 4: He's come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, he's looked genuinely good since he's come back. And I know the velo is not quite there yet, but he looks solid, which has been the most important thing.
Speaker 4: And also let's go with Arsenal because we're in the frigate him. He's like fun of it and they're.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 4: Two. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm like the fact that City drop points on Monday. I was because I'm not gonna lie. I was annoyed. But even though that they drop points, I wasn't annoyed. They got to draw because they were up literally until like the ninety plus seven minute and then and then the goal. I think it was Doku who scored the goal, that insane goal around the keeper pick pick for an evidence keeper. And but it's okay.
Speaker 4: They still drop two points, which means that there's a two point difference if City wins the next match.
Speaker 1: So all Arsenal's got to do is just win out. I'm asking a lot. I'm asking a lot, but that would I mean, that would bring me generational levels of happiness that would be insane, an insane time for the boys. It's not baseball related. I'm just very very happy.
Speaker 2: I'm sure watching soccer at all, that's fine.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm a I'm ashamed to say, but I'm a I'm a Wolves fan. So it's been a really rough season for the lads, historically bad and then the relegation battle. I'm gonna, yeah, I'm gonna be all in on the championship next I.
Speaker 2: Actually have heard about that, Gibby.
Speaker 4: You should you should, you should become a Wrexham fan just cause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I hate Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 4: Okay, well they don't become a Wolves fan with meat next season.
Speaker 2: I like, I like with me, so you know, maybe I will.
Speaker 4: Somebody else has to go through this level of pain.
Speaker 1: Hey, I picked I picked Arsenal for a very stupid reason. So I've been with them for you know a bit now, so I gotta I gotta.
Speaker 4: Have a little bit happiness at some point. Uh, all right.
Speaker 1: Last thing to talk about on the pod the stadium stuff the Rays have And we're not gonna talk about this for long, but we're just acknowledge that things have happened, Uh, the Rays held or the there was like a community basically like a city council community engagement session that happened on Tuesday that happened before or in and around when the race played the Jay's I think it started at five and then the Jay's game started at what like six forty, So it was basically the two were going on at the same time. It allowed for the public to be able to give comments. In regards to the situation, the Rays and the county and the city are still trying to work out. This whole thing is taken a while. The Rays said or the County said, that they won't be able to meet the June first deadline because of how complex this whole thing is, which is the set deadline that the Rays have put out. I'm going they need a little bit more time. I think the Rays had some sort of a non binding memory of an understanding that they want to get finalized this month in May, so that even if they don't hit that June first deadline, they at least have something to start building off of moving forward. So that's something interesting. Yeah, Rays seeking non binding agreement with Hillsboro, but in May. This is from the Tampa Bay Times, Ken Babby Ray CEO said, we're focused on a May m ou it will be non binding. Team's priority is securing that commitment by the end of the month. What's it called detailed a team's request for a billion doiur public contribution and set that June first deadline. Trying to see what's going on. It's unclear if the non binding memory it Basically a lot of it has to do with the Florida legislature, which is going to be happening starting in May, starting May twelfth, So they're trying to at least get something done to start out so that hopefully they can get funds allocated to figure out the whole HCC site, the HCC del Mayberry site since that is public or state owned land considering that it is a university.
Speaker 4: But yeah, interesting.
Speaker 1: It seems like I will say kudos to raise brass for not being like, oh, if you don't hit doing first adline, that means that we're done. Like they want it to be done, and it seems like they are willing to know.
Speaker 3: People on Twitter are like that, what even though people on Twitter are like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't well, I was gonna say I don't think that. I mean a lot of people want this deal done. A lot of people want this deal done. Understandably, people want the race of same Tampa Bay. We all want the race of same Tampa Bay. There's also a lot of money that the city and county need need to figure out, so we'll see what happens in that regard.
Speaker 2: But the.
Speaker 4: It seems like the team is being.
Speaker 1: Very willing to work with everyone in order to get this thing done, which is probably the most important thing. Is something that we didn't see in previous ownership. So the fact that that's happening is a really good sign.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think people were overreacting, and I'm not saying that that's a bad thing. Like I'm not blaming I didn't. I don't mean to like criticize people for overreacting because we've all seen this same charade over and over again. So it's like it's kind of like just you see it's kind of not not PTSD, but it's kind of like just traumatic. It's like, oh, you see the same it's going down the same road, so you're just assuming that it's going to fall through. But I think that instance in and of itself. If that's the only thing, I don't think it's a bad thing. It's like, oh, yeah, they needed an Actually they need more time. I think that's a fair ask. I just don't I just hope it doesn't lead to more complications down the road that I agree, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, uh, when I was watched or I mean, one of the highlights I saw of that meeting was that I forgot who which councilman it was. But uh, you know, they were saying, you know, baseball doesn't work in the South. You know, there's a there's plenty of things, you know, you can criticize about a deal, you know, and and or like the current.
Speaker 2: State of the deal.
Speaker 3: Uh, but you know, saying baseball doesn't work in the South when you can't throw a baseball without hitting a baseball field in the South is uh, it just kind of stupid, you know. I mean, probably one of the stupidest things I've heard. You know, you could you can come up with ten thousand other reasons, you know for but you know, that's just that's just one of the stupidest ones. Is baseball doesn't work in the South. You know, it works spring training, you know, everyone's down here.
Speaker 4: You know, you can college baseball, college baseball in the South. That is a dumb thing to say. I don't know, I don't know who said that. I don't really want to know who said that.
Speaker 3: But like and also like just a lie. Also, people say this all the time. You know, Tampa's not like the South Florida is not really you know, Tampa, South Florida not really the South. It's like it's like it's in the South, sure, but you know, not not the same, you know, cultural, you know.
Speaker 1: Norm Mississippi are two wildly different exactly again.
Speaker 2: Exactly you know.
Speaker 3: So uh, I don't I don't know, you know, I feel like, you know, we should have had eighty five year old politicians anymore. So yeah, I mean it's been a little it's been a little ridiculous from that that standpoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, there's plenty, there's plenty of things to criticize, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: And you know, I hope, I hope there's some negotiation back and forth with the Rays and with the county. H so you know, you know, county is not getting screwed. So yeah, I mean that's basically all I'll say. I just saw that. I feel like that was the stupidest thing I've ever I might have ever heard. I'm glad Evan Klosky, you know, fellow Evan hit him back.
Speaker 4: That's our boy. Yeah, But like, I mean, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Like and if he was trying to say Florida, that's a really major difference between Florida and the South because it works. It has worked consistently, college baseball wise, Minor league baseball wise, major League baseball wise, spring training wise, like high school baseball. Baseball works in the South. If we're talking about Major League baseball specifically in Florida, that's a completely different, uh conversation to be had.
Speaker 4: But in a general sentence, baseball works in the South. And I mean baseball is the the South is the mecca for baseball. Yeah. He could have miss misspoke, and that's totally understandable. But yeah, I mean when I think of baseball, I think in the South.
Speaker 1: I mean, so, oh, what do you tell me you don't think of New Jersey baseball baseball paradise.
Speaker 4: And oh yeah, maybe I should please stop kidding.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, we got to see my boy Davis out there. I know that he's been struggling for the Jay's this year. But uh, we got to see my boy playing in playing in the Jay Series. I hope he can turn things around. I just I'm it's so cool to like see someone that you went to school with and your friends with now playing in the big leagues.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, it's cool. That's insane speaking of well this, I'm just you saying Jersey made me think of home going to totally off topic if done with the stadium's talk, But do are you going to the PGA Championship next week? Oh no, I'm not going to that.
Speaker 2: Never mind.
Speaker 4: Never mind. I wish I cared enough about golf in order to do that, but I don't.
Speaker 1: No, But riding on the stadium stuff, that's just an ongoing thing, like we're gonna monitor it as it happens. Seems like there's still a lot of discussions to be had between the Rays, the county, and the city.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is great to see a lot of people showing their support for the stadium, and it's great that there has been as much public support as there has been. But at the end of the day, it comes down to the brass tax. It comes down to dollars and cents and what makes most sense if the Rays need to take on more money on their end, if the county, you know, if they need to stick to that one billion dollars or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Still don't understand.
Speaker 1: Why the Rays needed to add on another nine hundred million dollars to the price tag of the stadium. I don't think I'm ever gonna get over that, because I don't think that inflation has account That's not an inflation accounted for a thing.
Speaker 4: That's just that. I mean, that's hell of a lot of money.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, just imagine if that well, I was gonna say, imagine if the pre imagine if this current ownership group would have taken on the other thing in Saint Pete, like, they basically could have paid for the entire stadium themselves if they were willing to, you know, dish out one point two billion dollars or whatever it is, they could have just covered the other two hundred million and then just privately financed the stadium themselves. That's why I think that's the thing I'm most annoyed by, not the fact of where the stadium is and and if it's gonna take a little bit more time, it's just the price tag of it just seems a lot.
Speaker 2: But I mean that could be.
Speaker 4: I'm not the one who's uh, I'm not the one who's.
Speaker 3: Making the Yeah, I understand, you know, you want you want something nice, but you know it's kind of I mean kind of.
Speaker 2: You know, and it's added up a lot, you know, so.
Speaker 4: The price keeps climbing. Yesterday's price is not two days.
Speaker 7: Price, you know what was I think we leave it off, Yeah, I think, yeah, well we'll leave it at that.
Speaker 1: But I think with that being said, I think that's going to conclude things on the on on the podcast.
Speaker 4: I don't think we got anything else, right, No, no.
Speaker 1: No, A lot of good stuff happening in baseball, a lot of fun things happening in the area.
Speaker 4: Best luck to the Flyers throughout the rest of the series, Alex, I don't know. I don't know if I can say that about the Canes. I'm sorry. I mean, you guys win, that's if you guys win, that's fine.
Speaker 1: A Canes Buffalo Conference finals would be fun, that would be cool.
Speaker 3: Alex still has that little bit of a Philly asshole in them.
Speaker 4: It's so, yeah, it's okay. I'm fine with it. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go Buffalo screw the Canadians. The Canadians suck. Please Buffalo sweep them.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: But with that being said, it's going to conclude things on the pod. We appreciate at you guys as always. If you guys want to follow everything that we have going on here at Raise the Roof, Raise the Roof TV on social media Twitter, sash X, Instagram, Blue Sky or YouTube channels Raise the Roof, be sure to subscribe and turn on those post notifications so you guys know when new uploads happened. As we mentioned, we're part of the Just Baseball media network now, so expect plenty of collabse with them moving forward and different things that we're doing. We're very excited to see where this goes, and there's a reason.
Speaker 4: Why we joined them.
Speaker 1: There one of the best in the business at what they do, so we're very excited to be part of it. Our podcast continue to support well.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Our podcasts are the exact same places that you can find them. We're just part of Just Baseball's podcast network now, but that shouldn't change anything when it comes to where you can find the podcast. We're still on Spotify, We're still on Apple Podcasts, We're still on iHeartRadio. Anywhere else that you guys can find podcasts, We're still there. Just look us up at Raise the Roof. You'll just see the just Baseball media thing under us instead of Raise the Roof. So yeah, be sure to like subscribe Lewis or view hopefully a five star review and share this with your family, your friends, anyone who know who's a baseball fan or a Raise fan. The once add a podcast into their podcast feed. We'd love to be part of it. A shout out to our sponsors Homage, of which we have our affiliate link listening in a couple of our social media channels. Seek Geek in the Clutch in JKS print those last three it's code Raise the Roof. At check out to save yourself some money and help us out in the process, you can get tickets, mini chops, Merchu now Raise branded merch with Homage. Be sure to take advantage of that. They have some great deals and great sales going on and anything else under the sun. It helps us out in the process and get you guys some good deals. With all that being said, thanks so much, for listening and as always, raise up, Raise up baby, Raise up baby.