Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and welcome to wok F Daily with Meet your Girl Danielle Moody. Recording from the Home Bunker. Folks, I am going to tell you that today's conversation with Jonathan was pre recorded following the announcement the decision by the Supreme Court to end our democracy, and it is a very low conversation in terms of energy feeling. We are in a world of trouble and I cannot express that enough. I cannot urge you enough to use the remaining months that we have to organize, to strategize to get people to vote for Joe Biden. But understand that that is about a four year lifeline. It is not indefinite at all, and the Supreme Court has saw to that. If Donald Trump is elected, I will tell you that the first one hundred days are going to be the bloodiest and the worst that this country has ever seen. And that's saying a lot. I need people to take this with the gravity and the seriousness that people took their lives in Germany in Austria in the nineteen thirties. You are not overreacting. Do not let anyone tell you that you are overreacting. But I will urge you not to allow your fear to paralyze you into a place of apathy and complacency. I will urge you to utilize that fear to propel you to make really hard decisions in the coming months about your future, the future of your families, of your community. We are at that moment, and the more folks that can share these messages, that can share these podcast interviews, that can post them on your Facebook, on your Instagram, on whatever social platform that you use to get this message out, please do. It is not about the numbers, I don't give a fuck. It is about getting as many people to a place of safety as they can possibly find for themselves in this moment. The demise following a Trumpet win will be swift like nothing you've ever seen, and there will be no protests at that point that can stop it. So folks need to prepare. And that's the conversation that Jonathan and I get into on today's show. Well, I like, I I don't even know what to say. It's gonna say my usual, which is like, you know, it's doctor here. This guy right so excited to have our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan metzel Uh here because if there was any time that you felt like you need a doctor, it is probably at this moment, Jonathan. We are talking, uh recording this a day after uh the Supreme courtious ended democracy in this country, and I'm still reeling from the news. Uh, not doing that well? So how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh boy? How the words? You're gonna ask me that? Well, let me start by first responding to some of our readers, listener fans out there who want us to talk about cheerful stuff. So I'll start with a cheerful thing, which is it's July. It's beautiful outside. We got another good July, August, September, October. Now we got take another good five months of this thing. So this should be our summer of love. Right, if we're going down on the Titanic, this should be that. You know, if there's a restaurant you always wanted to go to, go to that restaurant. If you wanted to stay at home and make couscous or get a dog, or practice dry humping or whatever you want to do, this is the time to do it. Because this is this is our summer of I wouldn't say it's our summer of freedom. I would say, it's our summer of relative freedom relative to freedom we might not have later on down that road. So if you wanted to do it, like do it now. So that's that's part of it, is like, you know, I just think that there's you know, I'll be honest, there's a waking up moment for a lot of people who are like, oh my god, And it is a kind of Cassandra moment because like a lot of people are saying, like, oh my god, here's all these freedoms we took for grant aid. And I don't know, like it's just they obviously didn't listen to our conversations or our show or something like that. And so the question is, I don't know. I'm to be honest, it's the last hardest twenty fours for me, not that it was any surprise. Honestly, you and I are the least surprised people in the world.
Speaker 1: I think that we are the least surprise. I honestly do. I think that we are among the least surprise. But I also think that, like I don't know, Jonathan, when the news broke six to three, I at least thought it would be five to four, and I at least thought that it was not going to give Donald Trump everything, Like.
Speaker 2: I thought, more more than everything, more than he asked for.
Speaker 1: I thought that it was going to be like, no, that's crazy. But in the instances of whatever, pick and choose and so a decision as blatant, as broad as this, that is just so. I mean it is there's no mincing of this, there's no hopefulness attached to this, there's no this is beyond the pale. And for I think for Joe Biden to address the nation for the first time a president addresses the nation following a Supreme Court decision, and for him to end that five minute speech with God bless the troops and may God protect our democracy, I was like, oh it was. It was just so clear. I think that a lot of people held on to a bit of hope that the Supreme Court is crazy and the nice and their right wing, but they're not going to usher in the fourth right. And that's exactly what they did yesterday.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about the long game, right, I mean how long have how long have they been like you know, if we think about the Materian candidate, but like these guys are like Cicada, see you know, they've been living in the soil for seventeen years, like in full view, just plotting this takeover, right, I mean, because the ironic thing is like the most radical are the dudes that have been there the long cast. To me, that's that's incredible, Like it's just to me, that's incredible that it was in plain view. It was in plain v this whole time. But there's so much there's just so much disbelief, and so I think there are two questions I think we should be asking right now, to be honest. One is what's the nature of that disbelief? Like when people like you and WAJ and me and other people have been frustratingly shouting this for so long, and maybe there's just no avenue, Like we can shout all we want, but it's kind of like the elevator button to close the door that's not connected anything. Maybe shouting wasn't enough or something like that. But part of the question is like why weren't I mean, you know, my personal frustration right like even my last book, I was trying to name it how we lost, And the argument of the book was that we weren't paying enough attention, that guns were a false issue compared to the bigger story, which was taking over the Supreme Court, which they were using guns to take over the Supreme Court for largely anti democratic issues that weren't about public health. Public health was a misnomer, and my publisher rejected the argument, made me change the title of the book, said that's never going to happen. And everybody who has been in a Cassandra position probably has twenty stories like this. So part of the story is what's the nature of that disbelief that all of a sudden people are waking up now with four months ago, until you know it matters, and then what can we do between now and then, Like what's the strategy? We need a strategy right now, like we shock. We're in shock, like we were in shock after Dobbs, we were in shock after Pearl Harbor, we were in shock at these other moments that are akin to this in American history, which is like a real threat to what we thought America was or safety or security. And then what's our strategy.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what my sister said to me this morning, because neither one of us have slept and so it was like five point forty five and We're on the phone this morning, and my sister said, Okay, we basically have essentially six months to four years for American democracy. And she's like, six months if in fact Donald Trump is elected, and four years if Joe Biden is re elected. But she's like, regardless, whenever a Republican becomes president of the United States, it's an endgame. And she's like, so, what is the plan? And I will say this. I said, Look, basically, I want everyone and I'm gonna just be as honest as I have been. Everyone needs to be operating on a six month plan to be absolutely completely frank things that I was researching today, Jonathan, like in the wee hours of the morning, I was like, how long did it take Hitler to moments? It took two months. He was elected in January of nineteen thirty three, and by March of nineteen thirty three, the first camp in Dushua, Germany was built, and the first people that were sent there political prisoners and perceived enemies of the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's you know, Rachel Bitkofer has been just you know again nobody listened, but no, it's incredible. And the other interesting story about Hitler is a failed politician who was in power, lost, came back, there's a collapse, and then asked a form of government, and then people thought it wouldn't be too bad and all this kind of stuff, and then even then it was working for a lot of people. So yeah, no, it's it's it's it's this site happens quickly, you know, and and it's so easily manipulated. And as we've said, citing our good friend Jason Stanley so many times here, the conditions that allow this, among other things, are a fractured opposition, right, and so the ways that we've been fractured to let this happen are a huge part of the story, in addition to the thing itself. But it's just you know that part. Okay, six month lane, what else you got?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I know, I'm just I'm saying the folks here, here's what you need to do. While you need to be able to do multiple things at one time, which is you need to be able to organize as many people as possible to vote, uh and vote for Joe Biden. Please stop the nonsense of a call for someone else. It is not going to happen, not at this late stage and definitely not after this decision. So get as many people organize, donate up and down the ballot. And at the same time, if you are part of an unprotected class of people, if you are from a religious minority, if you are from a racial minority, if you are from the LGBTQ community, if you are a person that is disabled, if you are you know, liberal liberal, if you have been, if you were a journalist, if you are an academic that has been very vocal about where we are. I suggest that you developed up and exit strategy for yourself and your family and understand that unfortunately, everyone will not go because people will tell you that we survived it the first time, we'll make it through the next time. And tell me, oh, I'm not disclosing that at all.
Speaker 2: Where can a first and go.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can go to a lot of places. You can go to a lot of places. But I as sure as how I'm not disclosing where I'm thinking about going.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows where I'm going, sir, Where is that, David Busters?
Speaker 1: They'll never look for you there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I said it on TV like nine times already.
Speaker 1: But it's just, you know, I think that I mean, you have talked about your family many times on this show with me fleeing.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just say please. My grandfather was the one guy who said, this shit is getting real. And my grandfather had a lot of non Jewish friends. Our family in Austria, we had a religious side, and then we had a kind of really secular side. My grandfather super secular. He worked in a horse stable with tons of non Jewish friends, and they all said, dude, get the hell out of here. This is getting bad. And so my grandfather tried to convince my whole family, our grandparents, our aunts, our uncles, our cousins, and they were like, you know, we've been through this before, we'll get through it again.
Speaker 1: That was there since around what time is this happening?
Speaker 2: So this is obviously right at the very beginning of when the stuff started getting bad, and they were in Austria, not in Germany, and so it was before obviously before the really bad stuff happened in Austria. So he gathered my grandmother and my dad and they just packed up everything, got the hell out of their effect. They took like their three most valuable things, one of which was a feather quilt of goose feathers that my grandmother had plucked. So I still have that down comforter in a bag because it was so valuable to them, just as to me a kind of reminder it smells like goose, to be honest. But for them that was kind of the one of the things that they thought, oh my god, this is the thing we need. And then they were displaced persons for ten years, and then they finally got into the US, which was a beacond of the opposite ideology, right. I mean the question now as I say where do you go? I wasn't saying like where you specifically going? But besides, Dave Investor is like, what ideology is going to be home for people who do flee? Is it? And I got an open question which don't answer, but I'll just say, is it Blue States? Is it other countries? Is it sanctuary areas? Like all these things are all there's no easy answer the way like a mayor which was not an easy answer, right because it wasn't letting people in.
Speaker 1: And it was on the other side of the world.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's just it's a complicated time. And again we have some time now to also mobilize I mean, I just don't want to say like, oh, we're all giving up. I don't think we're given up. I do want to ask you one question about the Biden thing, which is not going to happen, but just ideally, and I realized it should have happened three months ago if we were going to do this, but a convention where everybody makes their best case, We hear everybody out. It's like a national primetime thing, a debate for different strategies for Democrats, we all decide to get around somebody knew that Biden gives his blessing, and whether it's Kamala Harris or it's one of the people people are talking about now or something like that. There actually is what Democrats used to do, which is a contested convention that then generates excitement and then, like in the UK system, a seven week barnstorming kind of deal, which is what the US used to do. You think there's no chance that would work?
Speaker 1: No, I don't, cause I don't think that it will work because one, I don't think that this election is any more about excitement than it is, you know, fear. I don't think that there is anything that is going to quote unquote, excite the people. This is not two thousand and eight or twenty twelve. What people need to be voting on now is an existential threat to your absolute way of life. And you know, the best thing that I think they can do, and by day I mean Demo, big d Democrats is talk about the scare the shit out of everyone is breakdown Project twenty twenty five, like a fucking fraction. Like give it to people in little bitty bites. Tell them about you know now that this power is absolute and the president is a king. Remind them of some of the things that Donald Trump has said. Put it up on billboards, put it up on commercials. None of this is hyperbolic. There are no guardrails whatsoever at all. And so when he says I'm going to deport eleven million people, who's going to stop him a six to three Trump Supreme Court. When he says that he's going to have retribution against his political enemies, what's to stop him? No one, right, because he's immune. And then for anybody else who's going to do his bidding, he will just provide them with a pardon. And what does a pardon really matter? Again, when you have a six to three Supreme Court that doesn't give a fuck. So I think that any move or distraction away from just supporting Biden and understanding that he has a very competent, very young vice president of the United States and if she was not a she or a person of color, we wouldn't be having this fucking conversation. And so we have to also understand them misogyn war that is at play here with this conversation of Biden should walk away or can't we have the contested whatever. I'm like, this was a conversation for two years ago, right, This was Yeah, this was a conversation that serious people needed to be having. Who are at those levers two years ago? Right? And so this is not a conversation that now everything has come to fruition that we thought couldn't is now here. And now people want to say, like, oh, well, the New York Times wants to do a coordinated attack. When Donald Trump was convicted of thirty four felonies, where were the calls for him to drop out of the race, Where were the calls for him to step down from the Republican Party? There were none. So we have to understand that there is a coordination and a strategy that is happening at all levers of power, including the media. Right that is implicit they are accomplices. And so no, I don't think that we have time even for the speculation at this point.
Speaker 2: All right, well then let's get it together. I mean, you know, it just feels. You know, democracy is a system of checks and balances, but people smell something very tribal right now, which is the defeat of the other side. That's kind of what is driving a lot of this, like this false promise that you can own the libs or own the culture world.
Speaker 1: But they do. This is the thing too that I want and why I say, like, we can do both, and you can both organize and use whatever platforms people have in order to spread the truth and get as many people to vote as possible. But we're like America as we know it has been done for the last several years and this last decision by the Supreme Court. There is no more abortion, there is no more affirmative action. There is legalized bribery, there is agencies no longer have any powered those they have centralized power to the executive branch and to the court. There is no like Oh, but we could do X, Y and Z. It's like the only thing that we can do is vote for Biden, hope that he would that he gets re elected, and then in those first two years of his reelection, that he expands the court that we have also won the Senate and the House, and that we take drastic measures to protect the Constitution and our democracy. But barring that, I don't I don't know how how they haven't won.
Speaker 2: Well again, those are more options than we're going to have five months from now, possibly, So I guess let's do that. You know, you got me, Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Think like you know, I just I think that we are at the precipice of our demise and we are like looking over the ledge and we're just like, well should I jump? Should I not jump? And I'm just like, you're being pushed regardless. So this final choice is honestly the last choice that Americans will have. And you know, when I saw I don't know if you saw this, but the BET Music Awards were a couple of nights ago and Taraji p Henson, actress phenomenal actress, takes a moment to tell people to google Project twenty twenty five and the analytics went through the roof. Yeah, you know, and that is a captive audience of young people of color who are like, what is that? You know? And again we've been talking about it, but when you have now some people's icons and folks really saying, hm, things look bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's do.
Speaker 1: That final final thoughts tell me oh, I mean.
Speaker 2: You know, just some huge front of me wants to say better late than ever. People are weak up. We do have options right now, and so I hope we mobilize again. It's just like I mean, think about you go back to our conversation two years ago where we were saying people aren't paying enough attention to judges and the power judges have. Like that was two years ago that we have been having this conversation, and so I don't know, We're up against an adversary that was very directed, understood how power worked, and we get distracted and right now we can't get distracted. That's just kind of power.
Speaker 1: Is one hundred percent. So folks need to be able to do both. And and I would encourage you to be sharing these shows with your networks, to be posting them, and to stay connected to independent voices as much as you possibly can.
Speaker 2: And you rest up, then let's go to theve investors. Then let's get cracking here.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a plan. That is it for me today, dear friends. As always, power to the people and to all the people. Power, get woke and stay woke as fun