Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From New York.
Speaker 3: City, the only city in America.
Speaker 4: It's the show that inventioned news.
Speaker 3: This is The Daily Show with your host Charla Madna.
Speaker 5: Go, hey, welcome to the Daily Show. I'll go by the name of Charlamagne God.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 5: That's right now, we have an okay show for you tonight. Pretty mid most late night hosts will say they have a great show, but I'd rather tell you the truth.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding. I'm kidding.
Speaker 5: We've got a great show for you tonight. Do we Let's get into the headlines. Let's begin with the man you all know in love, Donald Trump. Oh yeah, I think you heard some of y'all going, maybe if you b hard enough, he'll drop out of the race. Come on, come on, yeah, that'll do it. I know you don't want to talk about the man, but we have to because the presidential race is about to kick in the high gear. So let's check in. Let's check in on the latest of our ongoing coverage of democracy twenty twenty four. All right, let's get right to the good news. Donald Trump is definitely not going to be president again. The bad news is because he's going to be dictator new.
Speaker 6: Warnings that Donald Trump's reelection would pose a great threat to American democracy, with the Republican List Cheney sounding the alarm about a foot me dictatorship.
Speaker 7: Do you believe if Donald Trump were elected next year that he would try to stay in office beyond a second term?
Speaker 8: He would never leave office?
Speaker 9: There's no question, quite a.
Speaker 10: Warning from former Republican Congressoman Liz Cheney.
Speaker 8: She is not alone.
Speaker 11: From the New York Times why a second Trump presidency may be more radical than the first, and this from The Guardian, a second Trump term will be far more autocratic than the first.
Speaker 12: The special issue of The Atlantic magazine today lays at a detailed, compelling case that specifically, what could happen if Donald.
Speaker 2: Trump returns to the Oval office.
Speaker 12: Two dozen essays by Atlantic writers outline how the threats to democracy will be bigger than ever before, potentially changing America forever.
Speaker 5: All Right, that sounds bad, but don't forget. Don't forget. We still have Joe Biden standing between him and.
Speaker 2: The White House. Yeah, so it's actually even worse.
Speaker 5: Look, it would be absolute insanity to send Donald Trump back to the old Who would hire a guy they already fired once. Hey, hey, I know, we let go of John because he dipped his penis in the pancake batter. But now that he hates all of us and made a hit list, I say we bring him back. And Donald Trump is worse than penis pancakes, y'all, because I agree with Liz Cheney. If Trump becomes president, he's never and I mean never leaving office again. All right, if you were facing that many charges, you'd barricade yourself in the White House too. I don't even think Trump wants to be president. He just likes the immunity. If being host of Let's make a Deal meant you couldn't go to prison, he'd be campaigning for that too, That's right, right. And by the way, people aren't just guessing. Trump's out there saying what he's gonna do. He said he'll sink the military on protesters, open in tournament camps for illegal immigrants, and shut down media outlets that criticize him. And you know he will because the last time he was president, he reportedly tried to get the Justice Department to investigate Saturday Night Live for making fun of him. This dude was really going to send David s Pumpkins to Guantanamo.
Speaker 2: And I know we're all blaming.
Speaker 5: Republicans for a potential Trump comeback, but it's not all on them.
Speaker 2: It's on Democrats too.
Speaker 5: Every single election they say the Republican nominea is going to destroy America.
Speaker 2: They said it about Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney.
Speaker 5: At this point, Romney's just a reusable grocery bag away from being a Democrat.
Speaker 2: Even now.
Speaker 5: If Nikki Haley won the nomination, Democrats would say she's going to end democracy too. The problem is Trump actually will, but people are tuning it out because Democrats have been crying.
Speaker 2: Fascists for so long.
Speaker 5: Honestly, liberals, there's only one way for you to stop Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Reverse ecology. Yeah yeah, act like you like him. Okay, all the MAGA people care.
Speaker 5: About is owning the Libs. So just embraced Trump, then they'll reject him. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, listen, listen. I want I want y'all to endorse him at Drag Queen's Story Hour. Yeah, getting Lynn Manuel Miranda to write a hip hop musical about him. Our better yet, Betty Yet, Let's hold a Black Lives Maga rally?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Now let's move on from a criminal trying to get back in the government to a criminal who's moving out of government. George Santos was expelled from Congress on Friday. Yeah, I had no idea George Santos had a fan club.
Speaker 2: But he's already found a new way to stay.
Speaker 5: In our hearts in social media feeds forever, where Congressman George Santos has found his new calling. Freshly expelled from Congress, Santos is now on cameo.
Speaker 2: People can buy personalized.
Speaker 5: Messages from Santos for two hundred dollars each.
Speaker 13: George Santis, You're wishing you the happiest of holidays. Joe and Julie would like you to please spend some money on yourselves from the gift this year. It could be anything from botox to luxury goods of any kind, like a trip to Our Mez or makeup from Thephora, or a subscription to only Fads.
Speaker 2: He's good, he's good. He's good. He's good. That guy is very good at cameo.
Speaker 5: He's good at public speaking, he's relatable, he has a personal touch.
Speaker 2: You know what, he should run for Congress.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it makes sense that George Santos is a star on cameo and knowing his history of lying, he's probably also a cardiologist on teledoct two. And look, I got no problem with Santos being on cameo. The man is a hustler and that's what he does. What I do have a problem with is all the people paying him for cameos, Like, come on, America, you wonder why everyone in government is behaving so badly, it's because we're rewarding bad behavior. All right, come on, man, this dude gets kicked out of Congress for stealing credit cards, and now we're giving him our credit cards to make videos about how he stole credit cards.
Speaker 2: I won't knock his hustle.
Speaker 5: Good luck to you, George Santos, but he'd better do these cameos now because they're going to be way less charming when the background is his cellmate taking a shit.
Speaker 2: Finally, finally, let's move on to some science news.
Speaker 5: If you're worried that you might be getting too old to have kids, don't worry, you're not the some.
Speaker 14: Of the year olds women and Uganda accomplished something few women her age have ever done. She gave birth to a set of twins, and that mcguiat delivered her two bundles of joy by a C section after successful IVF treatments. The twin boy and girl were born premature and placed in incubators, but they are in stable condition.
Speaker 2: Wow, science is amazing.
Speaker 5: First doctors are able to create a golden Bachelor, and now this modern medicine is incredible. For more in this miracle birth, Let's go live now to Desie Lideck, Debbie, DeBie, what an incredible triumph of science.
Speaker 10: Uh, Charlemagne, this is the worst thing that's happened to women since chet Hanks downloaded Tinder.
Speaker 9: You know what triumph of science I'd like to see.
Speaker 10: Let's take all the doctors responsible for this and launch them directly into the sun.
Speaker 5: Why so I think it's amazing that a woman could give birth at age seventy.
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's terrifying to get pregnant at seventy.
Speaker 9: I don't want to eat changing diapers when I'm in.
Speaker 10: Diapers, And I can't believe a woman of her age had to carry twins.
Speaker 9: My mom broke her hip carrying a yogurt and then to endure a C section.
Speaker 10: I mean, you think it's seventy The babies were just tall right out.
Speaker 9: Keep doing those keegeles, ladies.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think there's something kind of nice about having babies so late in life. You can she had the same nap schedule, you can.
Speaker 2: Eat the same mushy foods like.
Speaker 10: But you're forgetting something very unfortunate about babies. They turn into children. You can't play tag with the walker, not to mention all the young moms at the playground being like, Oh, your.
Speaker 9: Grandkids are so cute. They're not my grandkids, you judge, you twatt, enjoy.
Speaker 10: Your frappacino while your tins are so high biher than your blood pressure.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dosie, I hear you.
Speaker 5: All right, this isn't for everyone, But what about women who aren't ready to have kids yet?
Speaker 2: Shouldn't they have all the time they want?
Speaker 9: No, No, old age should not be for parenthood.
Speaker 10: It should be for getting gonorrhea at the Rolling Stones reunion tour.
Speaker 2: I get your point, DESSI I get your point.
Speaker 5: But still, there's got to be one good thing about having a baby at.
Speaker 10: Seventy Well, I mean, I guess you could say that there's one bright spot. The worst part of having kids is raising teenagers. But if you have them at seventy then you.
Speaker 9: Probably don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 4: Good point.
Speaker 2: Doesnie love everybody?
Speaker 9: When we come back, Lord Black, but.
Speaker 5: Recap the Yeah, so don't go anywhere. Welcome back to the Daily Show. Now, when a new story falls through the cracks, Lewis Black catches it for a seconment we call back in Black.
Speaker 15: Well, it's December, which means two things.
Speaker 4: One it's almost the end.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 15: And two I made it through no nut November, and I think my second grade teacher said.
Speaker 4: I'd never amount to anything. Naturally, December is the.
Speaker 15: Perfect time to look back at the things we're grateful for in twenty twenty three. Yeah, that's that's right, me grateful. Everyone assumes I'm a miserable grinch, but I can be happy here. Just look at this smile.
Speaker 4: How why do people do this?
Speaker 15: And if you think that twenty twenty three sucked, I have a little secret for you.
Speaker 4: You suck.
Speaker 15: You people have no idea how good we had it this year for starters. This was the first year since the pandemic. The things felt almost normal. Remember the height.
Speaker 2: Of COVID we couldn't do shit.
Speaker 15: You could die just from going to a party and not in the fun way from tainted cocaine. But this year everything was back schools, concerts, sports, theater, live theater is so back.
Speaker 12: This happened a Republican Congressoman Lauren Bobert of Colorado. She was recently kicked out of a performance of Beetlejuice the Musical or vaping and engaging in some R rated groping with her date.
Speaker 15: Yeah, Lauren Bubbert was caught jacking off a guy during Beetlejuice the Musical. And you thought it was distracting when people unwrapped hard candy. If you're gonna behave that way during a musical, at least do it during Ley Miz talk about a play that needs a happy ending, and think about all the scientific advancements this year. They didn't always make us healthier, but they did make us hotter.
Speaker 16: There's growing controversy nationwide. It's over people using a diabetes drug for weight loss. O Zempic is a drug that was developed to treat diabetes, but in recent months, demand for the drug has soared because one of its side effects is weight loss.
Speaker 4: I love ozempic.
Speaker 15: Orange your favorite celebrity calls it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've just been drinking a lot of water.
Speaker 15: Seriously, this drug is a godsend for anyone who likes losing weight and stealing medicine from diabetics.
Speaker 4: Jeff, try and catch me a one foot advance heart, and let's not forget that.
Speaker 15: Twenty twenty three also saw a major milestone in pop culture.
Speaker 17: Marvel Studios just clocked its worst movie debut ever with the release of The Marvels. With That, Disney CEO Bob Iger is said to be shifting his attention, turning his focus on making a few good films rather than many that aren't high quality.
Speaker 15: Making good films now there's a concept.
Speaker 4: So that's why this guy gets paid.
Speaker 15: Fifty billion dollars a year. But I think Disney is a great company. And I'm not just saying that is the star of inside Out. I'm saying it as the star of Inside Out too. And let me assure you they didn't pay me shit at long last, people have finally stopped watching Marvel movies, and thank god. My favorite part of any Marvel movie is the four times I leave to be.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 15: If I'm spending that long in the theater, i'd better be sitting next to Lauren Bobert, but but the best pop culture trend in twenty twenty three Kanye West. This was the first year in ages that he finally shut them up.
Speaker 4: No tweets, no rents, no threats. Huh.
Speaker 15: I'm just glad he finally left the anti semitism.
Speaker 4: To literally everybody else.
Speaker 15: As if this wasn't all enough to be grateful for, This year was also the beginning of the end for one of humanity's worst inventions.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk's X formerly known as Twitter, is bleeding major brands who are at least temporarily pulling their advertising. Some ads for major brands appeared next to neo Nazi hate speech on x AD.
Speaker 12: Revenue for AX had already declined by fifty four percent this year.
Speaker 9: Musk himself acknowledges.
Speaker 7: A new advertiser boycott could bankrupt the company.
Speaker 15: Yes, Elon Musk did us all a favor and killed Twitter.
Speaker 4: For he's a jolly good weirdo. For he's a jolly good weirdo. For he's a jolly good weirdo.
Speaker 15: Can't wait till he dies on Mars.
Speaker 4: Wow, Wow, I'm really a good singer.
Speaker 15: Of course, twenty twenty three was also special for us at The Daily Show, where we did a whole year of guest hosts one week at a time, which was great for me because I never had to bother learning a host's name, except for you, my main man.
Speaker 4: Great to see again, a pal. Look. Next year is gonna be awful.
Speaker 15: As bad as you think twenty twenty four will be, it's gonna be worse than that. So take a moment to appreciate the good things and remembers.
Speaker 4: Smiling is free.
Speaker 5: Back to you, Chief, Hey, thank you, Louis, Louis Black everyone. When we come back, we lucky angle when we come back, Robithdi, What're you joining me on the show?
Speaker 2: But I'll go anywhere?
Speaker 4: Oh there you go, there you will.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: My guest Tonight is the creator and star of the Emmy winning HBO series A Black Ladies Guest Show. She could currently be seen in the new Prime video film Candy Cane Lane.
Speaker 2: Please welcome, Rob and Thady.
Speaker 4: How are you Queen?
Speaker 8: Thet you know, just in the Christmas spirit?
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 7: I never thought I would be three inches tall, but the benefit is I had.
Speaker 8: Like a two inch waist Okay, so that was fun.
Speaker 2: Did you get those heel from Rondy Santas?
Speaker 8: So, baby, I don't want to know what's in his club.
Speaker 2: Body lazy Graham, but listen now, oh.
Speaker 4: No, he's like, no, what am I at it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 5: Now this movie seems pretty fantastical. Their l's and magic and black Santa.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but now that's facts.
Speaker 2: The villain is a white woman, yes, so is it fiction or not?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, who knows?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: It is funny to imagine a black Santa too. That's what's so exciting, right because you know, I grew up with the typical white Santa and all the and all the books and everything. Oh yeah, but I think now, you know, I think the world's ready for a black Santa, especially David Allen Greer.
Speaker 2: Why not? Do you do you think?
Speaker 5: Do you think the world is ready to tell kids that Santa isn't real?
Speaker 2: You think that's inappropriate? You know?
Speaker 7: When I was growing up, so my parents definitely wanted me to believe in Santa. But my aunt was like, you know, Santa real, And I was like six, you know, and like the witness. No, but my babysitter was and she told us we was going in the hell because we were you know, not Jona was with us, which I was like, that.
Speaker 8: Don't feel like a tenet of your religion.
Speaker 7: But but so my aunt told us, and like as an adult, I was like, now my aunt was sleeping with somebody other than my uncle.
Speaker 8: So I feel like if she told.
Speaker 7: Me Santa wasn't real, I should told my uncle your my fan real.
Speaker 8: But it's too late.
Speaker 7: Also, that's a complete lie. She wasn't cheating on him, but I thought that would be funny.
Speaker 5: I think it was about to be a rough Christmas dinner for you fling family secret literally like.
Speaker 8: They never cheated they you know, I don't know. Here's the thing.
Speaker 7: Marriage just a sham and I think everyone should cheat.
Speaker 2: And I'm just you're clearly in the lion spirit today.
Speaker 8: Don't know what's happening.
Speaker 5: Why do you think Jesus doesn't headline his on birthday? Though, just like Santa Santa, they grinch, they get more attention.
Speaker 8: That's a good point. Jesus didn't have good marketing exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And as friends were whack, they were either trying to beat him or betray him. So Jesus got out early like Tupac, you know, he was just like.
Speaker 4: He was like, I'm good, you know, yeah.
Speaker 5: Be a martyr, Die Young Bill martis exactly album slap.
Speaker 7: I mean, if Jesus would have made album, that'd have been like top five Jesus so Black jay z.
Speaker 2: Fort for most of them.
Speaker 5: You play at Christmas figuring I do, and Eddie Murphy is basically he had an earpiece to hear what you were saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, that seems like a lot of pressure.
Speaker 8: Well it seems annoying.
Speaker 2: Do you want this in.
Speaker 9: Your ear all the time?
Speaker 7: It was funny because the first day we didn't know, we thought their ear so we would go rehearse on.
Speaker 8: Set as live people.
Speaker 7: Because Eddie and Tracy really trace Alice Ross is incredible in the movie Too wanted Yeah, so funny. They wanted me, Nick Offerman and Chris red who played all the figurines, to be there in person, improvised together, get the feel of it. Then we would go to these sound boots and they would hear us on the mic in their ears, and we thought they only heard us when they were rolling.
Speaker 18: But at the end of the day, Tracy just goes, you know what, you hear everything you're saying right, we were having debates about Drake albums, Like we were just like being so annoying while they were trying to work, and they didn't tell us the whole first day, but after that we learned, so we were.
Speaker 8: Tried to chill out.
Speaker 5: How many times did like shooting get delayed because you guys were busy making everybody laugh and all the.
Speaker 8: Time, every day, every day. And the cool thing was director Reggie Hudlin.
Speaker 7: Had us on set for scenes that we weren't even we didn't know if we would be in because they would animate us kind of after all the end of the live action stuff.
Speaker 8: So we were there for months and so we got to.
Speaker 7: Hang out with them and and you know.
Speaker 8: Just go crazy and Eddie lights up.
Speaker 7: As does Tracy when we go off script, especially me and Chris rend We were always trying to make them break.
Speaker 8: So we never made Eddie break. He definitely made us.
Speaker 2: Why did you like that? Because you can't remember it line?
Speaker 7: So let me tell you how Eddie knows everyone's lines. He is a profession Let's betters done fifty movies. Okay, this is like easy for him, but no, I think he just loves that spirit.
Speaker 8: I think there's so many comedians in the movie.
Speaker 7: DC, Young Fly, Angela Johnson, all these great people, so I think he just wanted that spirit.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The last season of A Black Lady's Sketch Show this past spring, that's right.
Speaker 5: The fact that the show was even allowed to exist as a huge accomplishment, that's right. Let alone the fact that you have picked up a lot of awards for it. It's inspiring an entirely new generation of black women. What sketch from the show are you most proud of?
Speaker 8: Probably the one way I play a man. No, I don't know. I think one person is, like I saw it. I don't know what am I most proud of?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 7: I think Courtroom Kiki, which is like the Black Lady Corporal. Okay, yeah, I think that's one because it's like it just shows like black sisterhood in a really fun way that I think we don't get to experience very often. So people always tag me on social media when they have like two black ladies at any one place and they're like Black Lady dentists, and I'm like, stop clamping, get your tea fix. But yeah, so I think that's dope. But it and it kind of lives beyond the show. So I think any of those sketches, like the Bad Bitch support group with Angela Bassett, like, you know, like we had a lot of fun, like creating these iconic moments that you don't see anywhere else in that you will never see again.
Speaker 8: You never gonna see a two two.
Speaker 7: Seven remake where we actually have Marla Gibbs and jack A Harriet, you know, just all these amazing apps.
Speaker 5: You have to have a black woman run show to do a two two seven, Absolutely.
Speaker 7: Sure, and a lot of trust from HBO because I'm sure they were like, what are we make it? But uh, you know, having as rays and EP doesn't hurt.
Speaker 2: Right, did you feel fulfilled? Like did you feel like you got everything you needed to out of that show?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think you know, for me, I don't want to like be Jordan playing baseball, you know what I mean, Like I want to like leave the legacy there, and like, first of all, he was great at baseball, no shade.
Speaker 2: To Jordan's Michael Jordan's.
Speaker 8: It's Michael Jordan's. But I mean it's better at basketball.
Speaker 7: Right, I Mean that's the thing that he spent his life doing. So I just didn't want to be. I never in anything that I do want to be like past my prime. So although I'm incredibly young, I think, yeah, so I feel good about it, but I'm always gonna be a little sad and I still think of sketches wherever I go, which is the problem.
Speaker 8: But you know, I never say never. You never know what can happen in the future.
Speaker 2: It feels like, well, it's not.
Speaker 5: It feels like it did check off a lot of boxes the show did because it was black, it was women. It feels like slightly Hollywood may not be on the diversity push that it once was.
Speaker 2: Do you think they had anything to do with the show?
Speaker 8: You know, I came back. No, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 7: I think most if you ever noticed, most shows really don't go past like three seasons anymore.
Speaker 8: I don't think the audience is really want to want that as much. I don't know. I think there's very few shows that, moving forward in.
Speaker 7: This kind of climate in the industry, are going to last like twenty fifty eighty seasons.
Speaker 2: I just think, you know, I.
Speaker 7: Think we're always looking for the new thing, and no one wants to overstay. They're welcome So I have such great partners at HBO and I'm still making shows with them. I have a new show that I'm working on with them, so there'll be more to come. I always want to keep it.
Speaker 5: Fresh, So we may not have the Black Ladist catch show, but we still have Robin Theaty.
Speaker 8: Yeah that's right, I didn't die. I didn't die just because.
Speaker 2: It shows over. Candy Kanelane is screaming now on Prime Video making look for Robin the.
Speaker 13: Break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. It's The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 4: This has been a Comedy Central podcast