Speaker 1: You're listening to the Freeway Phanom, a production of iHeartRadio, Tenderfoot TV, and black Bar Metsphah. The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are solely those of the podcast author or individuals participating in the podcast, and do not represent those of Oheartmedia, Tenderfoot TV, Black Bar, MITZVAH, or their employees. This podcast also contains subject matter that may not be suitable for everyone. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: My mother was very strict with us. So the rule is when she leaves, the door is closed and locked, and you don't come out that door. And her favorite saying was, I don't care if Jesus Christ knock on that door and say open it, you better not open it. So that was the rule. We didn't open the door for any We were playing around, we were watching TV, everybody else was playing around where and my sister Valerie knocked on the door. I think I told him at first, don't say anything. She knocked harder and I was like what. She was like, open the door and I was like, no, Mama, not home. Opened the door and I was like, what do you want? She said, I want one of y'all to go to the store for me. I said, Mama not home, we can't come out. Baby said no, i'm'a go, homem'a go, ho'm'a go, cause she didn't want us to start a fight. Her and Valerie went out. I guess about twenty thirty minutes. I'm like, she ain't back yet. So I went across the hall where I knew my sister was Valerie to see if she was back, and she was like no. Now I'm getting scared cause she not home and my mother gonna be coming soon. And I'm go'a get the work it because I'm the oldest. I told them to stand in the house. I'm gonna run up to the store. So I took the shortcut to go to the store and made it back. She still wasn't at the house. I was hollering at Valerie because I was upset and I was scared because she hadn't gotten back home and she sent her to the store. I don't know what to do. And the next thing I know, was getting late in the evening. People just started coming around, you know, from the neighborhood and the neighbors. And then somebody was like, Okay, we're gonna just go searching. Everybody was like in groups of fours and five out looking and I don't remember when the police came, but I remember that night detectives came. I didn't really think about the police, but when the detectives came, I really realized this was you know, it was serious. They never spoke to us, they talked to my mother. You know, I didn't really know what was happening, what was going on. It didn't make sense. And the only thing that I was not understanding, period was what is my sister, Why nobody found her? What's going on?
Speaker 3: If you look up Freeway Phantom, you might find out a little bit about this strange and tragic case, but in all likelihood you're not going to find out much. You'll learn that during the early nineteen seventies, a serial killer murdered at least six young black girls in the Washington, DC area. You might learn their names, you might hear about a strange note left by the killer. You may even come across a few suspects, but not much else. And that's what makes the case of the freewaym so very very strange. My name is Celeste Hedley. I'm a journalist author and longtime public radio host based in Washington, DC. Over the years, I've covered many stories of people of color going missing in this city, a phenomenon that absorbed the public consciousness. In twenty seventeen on social media.
Speaker 4: When the Washington, d C.
Speaker 5: Police Department tried to raise awareness about missing children and teenagers by posting their images on social media, the campaign backfired, sparking some national outrage and fears of an epidemic of missing children of color.
Speaker 6: One of the most popular stories on our NBC app this week is about missing girls. Our story debunks of fake reports that fourteen girls went missing from DC in just one day. DC police told us there are simply sharing missing person cases more often on social media.
Speaker 3: It all started when a post went viral all over social media saying young black girls were going missing at an alarming rate in DC, and admits the firestorm that particular post was proven to be untrue. However, behind the social media frenzy was a certain reality that for decades, people of color, particularly women, have been abducted or killed across the Capital region, and their cases rarely resolved or even fully investigated. That fact may be why most people have never heard of the Freeway Phantom case, a case that involved six young black girls who were all kidnapped, killed, and discarded along the DC freeways in the early nineteen seventies, A case that was never solved and sadly quickly forgotten. But in the wake of the DC Missing Girl's Conversation, people started thinking about this case again. One of those people was fellow DC journalist Cheryl Thompson, who used to write for The Washington Post.
Speaker 7: While I was actually working on another story at the Post, I stumbled across this press release of these six little black girls. And the photo struck me because it was in black and white, and so the first thing I thought of, Oh my god, this is old, Like what is this? And then just saw these six bass of these six little black girls, and you could tell by their hairstyle and you know, the bows and their hair, and it sort of gave me pause, and I was like, what is this and why are these murders unsolved? And so that's what sort of prompted me.
Speaker 3: In twenty eighteen, Cheryl published a groundbreaking article about this seemingly uncovered story, and that's how we and thousands of others found out about the Freeway phantom case. She says the process was both difficult and significant.
Speaker 7: What it was about it again was the fact that, like, how could this be, like six little black girls murdered in the nation's capital. And so then I started researching it and saw that there had been stories, some stories over the years, but it mainly faded from public view. I asked one of our researchers at the Washington Post to go back. I said, can you find some stories, some microfish from you know, back in the early seventies when this happened, and there were stories, but we were really hard pressed to find stories that focus just on these girls. In the early nineteen seventies, it was the Vietnam War, and you know, DC was the place where protesters came. There was a lot going on in the nation's capital during that time. So when murders happened, when killings happened, it made the news. But there were so many killings at the time that they just didn't get the individual attention. Like when I found one of the cases, it was lumped in with some other homicides in the district. But that's just the way it was. I mean, this was the murder capital of the country back in the day.
Speaker 3: Cheryl decided to reach out to some people, and she says her best sources have always been the detectives who worked on the case.
Speaker 7: Yes, I have called some of my sources over the years for stuff that might have happened thirty years ago, and they remembered details, right, how do you remember this stuff? So I then reached out to Detective Jenkins, Romaine Jenkins, because I figured, man, this is a woman, a black woman, and I know she had to take an interest in this for a lot of reasons, and some of which were the very ones that I mentioned. These kids could have been her daughters.
Speaker 3: Detective Romaine Jenkins was a name that we kept hearing.
Speaker 8: We spoke with one of the investigators, Romaine Jenkins, and she was like, if there was.
Speaker 1: Dic there was also another woman by the name of Romayne Jenkins who was a sex squad detective.
Speaker 7: One of our pick apart those files that Romayne's got, it would be an exciting interview.
Speaker 9: Romayne Jenkins, she was one of the best.
Speaker 1: She knew all adult dealers, she knew all the girlfriends, she was friends with all of them.
Speaker 9: She got the latest school, she knew who pulled the trigger.
Speaker 3: We decided to give Romayne Jenkins a call.
Speaker 10: Hello is.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we soon realized just how much she knew about this case.
Speaker 11: I investigated many serial rape cases, and none of them are liked to these today. Is this sumitar padn somewhere? But the only pattern you have with these cases is the fact that they were young black females.
Speaker 3: As it turns out, Romayne was the lead investigator on the Freeway Phantom case in the nineteen eighties. That was almost ten years after the case went cold, and she was the right person for the job. Romayne had an impressive resume up to that point as a sergeant in the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, DC back in the seventies. She was the first woman and the only woman for a long time in homicide. We told Romayne that we were looking into the Freeway Phantom case and she agreed to sit down with us. But before we made a trip to DC to see her, we wanted to learn more about her life and how she eventually came to investigate this case.
Speaker 10: I am a native person from Washington, d C. I attended school here. I joined the Metropolitan Police Department June twenty first nineteen sixty five, and at that time there were only about maybe thirty police females on the department, and they were housed at something called the Woman's Bureau, and they did mostly social work, abandoned children, missing children. Then they joined us with something called the Youth Division and that was the male counterpart of the women's guas. And then I stayed there for two years and I basically investigated cases involving badded children, juvenile offenders. We did missing persons and things like that, and then homicides. They needed a female to handle their baby deaths and abortion cases because at that time abortion was illegal in the District of Columbia.
Speaker 3: So Romayne went to work in homicide. She was there for approximately four years investigating battered children and abortion cases.
Speaker 10: After about four years in the homicide squad, I went to the seventh District because at that time they decided they wanted to put policewomen in uniform and put them in the patrol division. And at that time I was a supervised I was a sergeant because I made sergeant when I was in homicide. So they wanted to see if females could supervise males in the prole Division. I went to the seventh District and that was quite an experience. Everything was solely new to me, but I made it suit.
Speaker 3: During this time, Romayne got married and started a family. She eventually decided being a patrol officer wasn't what she wanted, so she applied for Sex Squad, which investigates sexually heinous crimes, and.
Speaker 10: I stayed there ten years as a supervisor. And from there I went to the US Attorney's Office, where I supervised seven detectives and we handled cases. We worked up cases for the US Attorney's Office, and that's basically what I did. That's basically my career.
Speaker 3: It was while in homicide in the early seventies that Romayne first heard about the so called Freeway Phantom murders. Though other officers were assigned to the case, she helped canvas neighborhoods and became intimately familiar with the case details. Years passed and remain heard little about the Freeway Phantom. Fifteen years after the murders, in nineteen eighty seven, Romayne decided to reopen the case herself while working in the US Attorney's office, and it ended up becoming the case that would consume Romayne's career and life to this day. When we told Romayne we were investigating the Freeway Phantom case, she revealed to us that she had held onto boxes and boxes of evidence, case files, and other documents. Even after retiring from the MPD. Now, at eighty years old, Romayne still has those stacks of boxes sitting in her bedroom or scattered across her living room floor. We asked her if we could talk to her in person and look through some of the boxes. At first, she was hesitant, but after we talked about our mutual desire to solve these murders, she started to open up, and eventually she agreed to an in person interview. So the Tenderfoot team met up with me in DC and we headed to our house.
Speaker 10: Two at a ten.
Speaker 8: Okay, we got you and we can take him back up.
Speaker 3: If that's now, you can leave.
Speaker 12: Man that you got 'em bad, leave me, okay, cause they'll either go downstairs.
Speaker 10: They'll probably end up going downstairs. Okay, you wanted to sit at the table, No, set him right here on the floor. Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm in Romaine Jenkins home in Washington, DC, not far from where I live. In her home, Romayne has what's likely the largest collection of documents on the freeway. Phantom case.
Speaker 12: Open Open.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna open 'em up for you, all right.
Speaker 3: I will just pull him out and we can take a look at what's here.
Speaker 9: This is Brenda Crockett.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, she looks.
Speaker 9: This is the one that was she the one that was barefoot, that year old.
Speaker 3: She's tiny, just a tiny baby. She was the one that went to the store barefoot.
Speaker 10: And the only the only way she was identified with her other identified for the clothing. That's all they had.
Speaker 3: The amount of information we came across was astounding. She had crime scene photos, original police reports, suspect lists. Most of this we had never seen before. We asked Romaine how she came to acquire all of these documents.
Speaker 12: Basically by talking to detectives who were on the actual scenes of the cases. A lot of them gave me their notebooks, their notes. Some had copies of files. They gave me that going to the police department, like Prince Georgia's County, they turned over all their files to me because they micro fished the file so they didn't need the hard copies and they were going to dispose of them, so I said, well, I'll take them. So that's how I inherited a lot of that information. Then, with the cooperation of the FBI, they assigned the case agent to work with me, and I was allowed to go into their files. Well, they assigned me an office at a desk and one of their investigators and I would go to the FBI building every day and read through documents and they'd make copies of whatever I needed. Also, with Natal Investigative Services, they were getting ready to get rid of some files, so I was able to make copies of the things that they had and nobody told me no, even the Metropolitan Police Department. There were people who still had information and they turned it over to me. So that's how I amass information in the files.
Speaker 3: As Romayne said, law enforcement was disposing of the original case files. Had Romayne not tracked down and preserved these files, we would have no original documents to view today. This is significant because information in those boxes may provide new insight into the case. Throughout this podcast, we're going to reveal what we found in those boxes and maybe get one step closer to finding the Freeway Phantom. But first we need to take a step back to talk about the basics. What were the Freeway Phantom murders, what happened? We need to go back to the beginning to fully understand this story. The truth is there's not a ton of existing scholarship on this case. In our research, we came across only two books written about the Freeway Phantom most people have never heard of. The first book, called The Mystery of the Freeway Fantom, published in nineteen eighty three by Wilma W.
Speaker 4: Harper.
Speaker 3: Miss Harper is closely related to these cases, which you'll hear about later. In the book's preface, Harper explains why she wrote it, saying, quote, when I first undertook the task of writing a social study of the families and friends associated with the Freeway Phantom cases in September nineteen seventy two, my one objective was to assist the police department in apprehending the killer or killers of the seven black girls who'd been raped, murdered, and their bodies placed on the various highways around the city of Washington, d c. It was my belief that the secret of who had killed the girls could be found in one or more of the social institutions frequented by these girls or by their parents. Throughout this podcast, Harper's words will take us back in time and provide us with a first hand account of what it was like to live through these serial murders. The second book we found was called Tantamount, The Pursuit of the Freeway Phantom serial Killer, published in twenty nineteen. This book was written by a father daughter team of true crime authors.
Speaker 8: I'm Blamed Pardo. I've written over eighty books. I'd write primarily science fiction, true crime, military history, political thrillers, things along those lines. This is a topic we've been writing about a lot about which is true crimes, and we tend to focus on the unsolved cases, especially surreal killing pieces that remain open on the saviors.
Speaker 13: And I'm Victoria Hester. I've written a total of four true crime books alongside my dad and co author Blaine. The thing that really got me into true crime was actually my dad. Growing up. Our bonding moment was over the Zodiac, which go figure, that's a normal father daughter thing. But ever since then, I've been kind of hooked on true crime and it's fun to research. We enjoy the journey of research and then putting it all onto paper.
Speaker 8: We had just finished our book on the Colonial Parkway murders and we were looking for the next project to get into. And it was really a matter of let's look in the local vicinity because we like dealing with people we can go interview and spend time with. So we started looking in Virginia, Maryland, Washington, DC to see if what open cold cases were out there, and there's a lot of them. I outlined a number of them for Victoria. Okay, you get to pick this one was kind of an easy one to do in the case of the freeway fantom. Looking at this one, it was like, Okay, this one's got some meat to it. This is an interesting case.
Speaker 3: We asked Blaine in Victoria to walk us through the basics of the case, starting with the first victim.
Speaker 8: First one that disappeared was a thirteen year old Carol Denize Things. She disappeared on April twenty fifth, nineteen seventy one. She's found on the Anacostia Freeway, which is IWO ninety five. She's about two hundred yards south of the Suitland Parkway and her body's found by a group of children. It's a major freeway cutting right through the city. She had disappeared on the twenty fifth, but wasn't found until April thirtieth.
Speaker 13: So the next victim is Darlinia Denise Johnson. The reason why we put the middle names in with each girl is because it does play a huge role down the role in the investigation of the middle named Denise. So that's why we make a point to mention that she was sixteen when she disappeared on July eighth, nineteen seventy one. Her body was found July nineteenth, nineteen seventy one, in the evening. Her mother filed a missing persons report and her body was actually found on the Anacostia Freeway, so the same freeway that Carol Spinks was found off of.
Speaker 8: Brenda Fake Krockett was ten years old. She disappeared on July twy seventh, nineteen seventy one. Her body was found off of Route fifty, which is one of the major thoroughfares in Chevrolet. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled. She had been left on the grassy shoulder of John Hanson Highway. She was found face up, and it was really only a short period of time after she had disappeared, so the killer had kind of shifted at least from the first case. He's not spending as much time with the victims. He's killing them now, just dumping.
Speaker 3: Just over two months later, the fourth victim was discovered. Her name was Nina Mosha Yates.
Speaker 13: She was twelve years old and she was found on October first, nineteen seventy one. She was a seventh grader and she was a very quiet and well behaved child. In the evening, she went to the safeway that was a few blocks away from her home to buy a bag of sugar at eight forty five PM.
Speaker 3: Then a month and a half later, the fifth.
Speaker 8: Victim, Brenda Denise Woodard, was eighteen years old. November fifteenth, nineteen seventy one, she disappeared in the evening. She had gone to a night class, left with a young man. They went to Ben's Chili Bowl in DC, which is this iconic restaurant, and she rode the bus to go home, and she was last seen around the eighth and H Street intersections, but her roommate reported by eleven thirty that she hadn't come home. She was found along the Baltimore Washington Parkway as well by a Chevrolet police officer. She had been strangled, and what was different with her is she had also been stabbed.
Speaker 3: And finally, the following year, the sixth and last confirmed victim.
Speaker 13: Diane Williams, is seventeen. She was found on September fifth, nineteen seventy two, ten months after the last case with Brenda. Her body was found the very next day. She was reported missing by her father when he came home at eight am that morning. She had visited her boyfriend, which was pretty normal thing for her to do, and was told to be home by ten thirty. The night before, her boyfriend escorted her to the bus stop, so we know that she got at least to the bus.
Speaker 8: If you think about it, so many of them are caught way to a grocery store running an errand it's not like something that's a routine where he's following them for several days and knows their pattern and how to intercept them. These are all victims of opportunity.
Speaker 3: Six victims, all young black girls from around the same area, all disposed of in identical ways. When we sat down with Romaine Jenkins, we asked her about her first involvement in the case.
Speaker 12: Well at the time when Carol Spinx was murdered. I was in the homicide unit, and at that time I was the only female in the unit. I was interested in the case. But what happened was we were inundated with the May Day demonstrations.
Speaker 3: From May first to May fifth, nineteen seventy one, thousands of people gathered in Washington, d C. To protest the Vietnam War. This would become the May Day Protests.
Speaker 4: We have seventy five thousand people from all walks of life, with differing ideologies and purposes, marched from the White House to the Capitol.
Speaker 3: More than five thousand Metropolitan Police Department officers, including Romayne, were tasked with shutting down the demonstrations. By the end of the week, over twelve thousand protesters had been arrested to this day, the largest mass arrest in US history.
Speaker 12: And so I never got the chance to go and dig into the investigation like I could have. The first day I recalled we were going out on the case, and the division command to stop me and said, where are you going. I said, well, we had a little girl murdered over in Southeast and we're going to the neighborhood and we're going to work on the case. He says, notice, may they demonstrations. This is a red alert for the police department. You will get involved in the demonstrations.
Speaker 3: But Romayne went home that night and thought more about Carol Spinks. She was familiar with the neighborhood and something just didn't add up.
Speaker 12: The girls come from neighborhoods that are densely populated with black people, their kids in and out, their cars going up and down wheel or road. You know, there's never a time it's not busy. So you could send you a child to the store. Nobody's gonna bother your child or what. The neighborhood never even thought like that.
Speaker 9: No, they were even safer because there's always somebody.
Speaker 12: Somebody that's right. And everybody knew everybody, you know, they said, oh, that's miss so and So's daughter, it's time to be in the house. It's close and dark, I mean, and people looked out for each other.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: I've spent my entire career working in public media as a radio journalist and national talk show host. One of the things that I love about working for public radio is that I rarely have to report on crime. Well, we never neglect a story about terrorism, Mass shootings or corporate mouth. Individual crime stories don't generally get coverage, and I like that. I like that I don't have to dig into personal stories of infidelity or rage or greed, or interview family members who've just lost a loved one to a drive by shooting. So you might wonder what I'm doing hosting a podcast series about a string of murders in Washington, d C. A city that had so many homicides in the early nineteen nineties that it was known as the murder capital of the United States. There's one easy answer to that question and one more complicated answer. The easy answer is that I'm so afraid of serial killers that I'm fascinated by them. They terrify me. I simply can't understand the kind of mind that would take a stranger's life for no reason other than because they enjoy it. That seems more than deranged to me. It seems inhuman. Serial killers are incredibly rare. According to the FBI, less than one percent of murders are committed by a serial killer, but were also not very good at catching them. The founder of the Murder Accountability Project, a nonprofit that collects information about murders, believes that a good number of unsolved homicides may have been committed by serial killers, So the chance to dig into both the mindset of such a killer and the techniques for finding them was very tempting. More importantly, though, I couldn't understand why the Freeway Phantom had never been caught and why most people have never heard of him. The Phantom killed at least six young girls, probably more. The so called Son of Sam also killed six people, and there are a bunch of movies about him, and even an episode of Seinfeld ed Geen. The Plainfield ghoul who inspired the killers in Psycho, Silence of the Lambs and the texts Chainsaw Massacre, was convicted of killing two people and may have killed as many as seven. This is not admiration for perpetrators with high body counts, but a legitimate question. How could someone kill so many young girls and be forgotten. The Freeway Phantom is worth talking about because the larger issues that surrounded his killing spree still endanger the lives of girls, and especially black girls. And before we go any further, we want to make an important announcement. After over fifty years of waiting, we believe the victims' families deserve answers. That's why Tenderfoot TV and iHeartMedia are matching the one hundred fifty thousand dollars reward offered by the Metropolitan Police Department. This brings the total reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for these murders to three hundred thousand dollars. If you have information that may lead to the identify location of the freeway phantom, it's time to speak up. Tips can be provided to MPD or Tenderfoot TV at tips at tenderfoot dot TV. With all of that said, it's time we dig deep into this case. So to fully understand these murders, we need to examine the crimes individually, starting with the very first victim, Carol Spinks.
Speaker 2: We grew up at ten thirty four Wall to place southeast will place is on the top part of Valley Green. Infamous Valley Green, very well known for a lot of activity, negative activity, but they're good people in the worst of places.
Speaker 3: This is Evander Spinks, the older sister of Carol Spinks, the first victim. At the top of the episode, you heard Evander talk about the night that her sister Carol went missing.
Speaker 2: I can't say my mother was the best person in the world, but my mother took care of us. We could not rip and run the street. We could not go anywhere. You better not talk about no boy. You stay very close to home. We played outside like any normal kids have, races in the street, played kickball, double dutch boy games outside. Water Place was a well known street, but there were a lot of good families on that street. Things happened on that street that were bad, but we never witnessed anything because we weren't out at night. Whatever happened, we would find out the next day or through your friends if they saw something, or their parents saw something and they was discussing it with their girlfriend, the boyfriend, or do you know how adults talk. It's always one or two kids hanging around listening getting to school, so that everybody else couldn't know what was going on. But that's how we found out things. Never that we were involved around or near, because my mother didn't play that.
Speaker 3: On April twenty fifth, nineteen seventy one, the day Carol would go missing, the entire Spinx family, with the exception of their mother, was home.
Speaker 2: I was home fourteen, Carolyn. Carolyn was home thirteen, Tanya was home twelve, One was home eleven, and Joseph was home one or two years old.
Speaker 3: Carol and Carolyn Spinks were twin sisters. Their nicknames were and Yaya, respectively.
Speaker 2: They looked identical, they were identical. They could sometimes fool us, but me not that much because they had different personalities Baybe. Carol was more laid back and quiet Carly and Yaya a mouthpiece and a social butterfly. But they stuck together. You wouldn't see one ten feet further from the other one. They were always together.
Speaker 4: My mom and all that. Brothers and sisters. They knew us apart. But some of our own friends that we had outside of the house, some of them knew. Some of them didn't. That would be dressed to Nike, you can forget it.
Speaker 3: This is Carolyn Spinx. She was incredibly close with her twin sister, Carol.
Speaker 4: Oh, we did okay. We of course played. We all did each other's hair, We dressed it like we fold the teachers. We jumped double dutch, played Jack's, all kinds of stuff. We did everything together. She was smart, She was very smart. She wasn't a smart mouth as I was. Then she was smart. It was funny then she was. She was my friend. That was my left hand because I'm right here, so she was my left hand. That day. I wish, Oh my god, I wish I could take it back.
Speaker 3: Wish I could take that day back.
Speaker 4: That day, my mom told us do not go outside. So we all was in the house. I don't even remember what we were doing, but I know it was me, event and baby, and my baby brother was home because he was a baby, and my other brother. All of us, all six of us was in the house. And I remember when Battery knocked on the door saying, see when somebody go to the store, and like, no, most in no, most that don't go out. I don't know what made her say I'll go. I don't know, but I was like, I ain't gone, No, I'm gonna get us. I ain't getting no beating. And my mother didn't play.
Speaker 3: But for whatever reason, Carol volunteered to go to the store, and so off she went.
Speaker 4: Didn't think nothing of it right then and there. The next thing I knew, I was like, dang. An minute she didn't come back, and I remember I said that I went out that door. I'm like, no, I gotta go to a Vatamy. She ain't come back. We got to go to the store, and I remember me and Battery went to the store and we asked the man did he see it? And he said, yeah, he seen the girl look just like me, and she had her She got her stuff, and that was it. We came back home. We called my mother and she came home, and then she called the police. I remember she called the police and they said they can't do nothing.
Speaker 9: Do you remember why they said they couldn't do anything.
Speaker 4: Because they said to be twenty four hours. I remember that well, in like a couple of hours. No, something ain't right. Mm hmmm. I knew something was wrong. I knew it. I told her I'd be something wrong, something wrong. Mm hmm.
Speaker 9: During that time when you didn't know what had happened to her, when she was just missing, what were you thinking had happened?
Speaker 4: I thought somebody had got her or did something to her.
Speaker 9: He did.
Speaker 4: I knew something had happened to her. I knew it did because she wouldn't run away. We never ran away from home. We never did any of that, So I already knew something was wrong. I knew something bad had happened. I knew that, I just didn't know what. But after like the second day that when I started feeling the pains, and I used to sit on the bottom month in bed and this rock and I would get pained, and oh I'd be in and out, in and out. Oh my god. It was terrible. It was Oh god, it was the worst. It was the worst. I still feel pain to this day.
Speaker 3: Search parties were dispatched, the community was determined to find Carol, but they never did. And then, according to the official reports, five days after Carol Spinks's disappearance, a group of kids were playing by the side of Interstate two ninety five when they discovered Carol's body. But Romayne Jenkins has always been skeptical of this report. Here's how she described it when we talked to her over the phone.
Speaker 10: There's no indication how her body was discovered.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 10: After the crowd gets there, of course they call the police. But what initially caused somebody to say there's a body on two ninety five. I don't understand it. Why would the kids, even kids wouldn't even be playing on two ninety five. There's nothing there's no reason for them to have been there unless they were told there was a body and they went to see what it was, you know, but who said who started it? Even though when she was missing, you know, they had lots of groups out searching for her and so forth, but there was just nothing but for someone to jump over the rail and turn that body over.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 10: People just don't do that. Most people don't even want to see a dead body. My mind questions a lot of things.
Speaker 3: We were curious to see what Romayne was talking about. So we found the coordinates for where Carol's body had been found, right off the Itune ninety five highway just to our right you can see in the distant Suitland Parkway, and the police reports say that Carol Spink's body was found about fifteen hundred feet south of Suitland, which is about where we are. The thing is is that, you know, Romayne brought up the idea that why were there people near here to find the body? And I gotta say she has a point. I mean, even fifty years ago this would have still been in industrial park. There's nothing here, there's no stores, there's no homes. This is clearly an highway access road with nothing but industrial buildings. And you can look at these buildings and even though Verizon is in them now, these buildings have been here for fifty years. So what were they doing here? Why were they walking along the highway? And again, remember we're talking about a highway that didn't have these lights. It would have been dark. And I just she really has a point. How could they have stumbled on this body? It just over and over in this case, you think somebody knew something, someone did It seems impossible. But here we are, and you have to imagine as you're standing at I two ninety five, and obviously I two ninety five.
Speaker 9: Did not have this many lanes back then.
Speaker 3: We saw the photos. But you have to imagine someone just driving up this highway with a dead girl's body in their car, stopping the car right here, pulling her body out of his car, and then placing it. It's distressing and incomprehensible. Yeah, Carolyn Spinks said she doesn't remember much about hearing that Carol was dead, only that she remembers feeling it.
Speaker 4: I'm feelingly was killing her when she was gone. On the days I felt everything.
Speaker 9: What did your family say to you they knew something.
Speaker 4: Was wrong with me. They knew something was wrong because I used to sit and rock, just sit on the bed and rock and rock and cry and hold myself. And then something was wrong, something was hurting.
Speaker 3: A few days later, the family held a public funeral for Carol.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that was the worst day of my life. I didn't know what it was. I had never been to a feeling before, so we did. I didn't know what it was. We went to this funeral home first. I remember they took us to get these white dresses and shoes and stuff. And then we went in this funeral home and they had this noise. I guess it was the piano or whatever it is, and that noise ooh, it was curb. And then they had the big gray casket. I ain't know what it was, but it was closed. I remember that it was closed, and I remember all these people. It was so many people. I remember there was so many people. And then we opened the casket and I said, I asked them, who was that. Then they said that's my said.
Speaker 11: I said, no, it's not.
Speaker 4: When I looked at that face, I was like, oh, my god, who was that? He looked like a monster. And they said I passed out of something. Something happened to me. I don't know what happened. Well, when I woke up the next time, I remember we was back at home. I don't remember anything else.
Speaker 9: So you said your family never talked about it after the funeral, nobody even mentioned her.
Speaker 4: They did, but I'd never want to hear it. I didn't want to hear it.
Speaker 9: And you think that it was an until you were an adult that you were able to hear about her or talk about her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Actually it was after I got married to my husband, who lived on our block. He knew my sister. When he told me one day we talked about it, because we never even talked about it for a long time, but he told me he carried my sister Casky, And I said, no, you didn't. He said, yes, I did.
Speaker 14: My mother had a book, a whole book of the funeral, and I was always I never wanted to look at it, but this when my mother was still living. So one day I just went over went to look at the book and I saw him current her casket. And when he told me that, that's.
Speaker 4: When I said I need to talk. I needed to talk to somebody because I just came, couldn't keep hold of it because I know it was hurting. It was hurting me. After a while, after I had my kids and my sister told the kids. That's when I just started to try to talk about it.
Speaker 10: Me and my.
Speaker 4: Husband talking a little bit from time to time, but I didn't want to talk about it. There was nothing to talk about. You.
Speaker 9: Have you talked with others in your family since then?
Speaker 4: Yes, most of me and my sister Evan talk about it more than anybody, but not nobody else really.
Speaker 2: Yvan Is Evander spinks my brothers have never mentioned one way to other Caurling. It hurts her, she says, never wanted to talk about it, and I've always wanted to talk about it because I can't forget. My sister Valerie has never talked or spoke about it that I know of, so I had to over the years keep talking yeah, yay, curling about it, and I know she can't forget, but I know she hurts behind that. That's why I her entire life changed and it wasn't for the better, totally the wrong way. I think the first time all of us got together, it was a couple of years ago because it bothered me all my life that I could go and sit where I knew my sister's body was, but there was nothing there to show me that she was there. So we got to talk about it. It's a hurtful thing, but we gotta do it. And you just never know something could pop up. Something just might get triggered, or you may have seen something or heard something.
Speaker 9: We don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: It's not like we want to be recognized, because we still get recognized as soon as somebody hear the name Space Spinks. Oh, I know about the Spinx family. You don't know about the Spins family. You don't even know about the incident that happened.
Speaker 4: To the Springs family.
Speaker 2: My sister was an innocent little girl. People say, you know, these kids fast they grow. She was out there having sex, not with my mother, that's a no. She was an innocent little girl that was taken from her family and abused. We want to know why. As a young teenager, I don't think the police did a good job. I didn't feel as though they actually cared during that time, And as an adult, I know they didn't do a good job, and I know down where they didn't care and today. I'd be sixty five years old this month, and I still feel like they don't give a damn. It probably was the police, was somebody that worked with the police. That's the only thing really made sense to me. People are everywhere. Somebody saw it, and we still want to know, and it still hurts. We just want to know why and what happened.
Speaker 12: The homicide detectives termed the cases the little girl cases.
Speaker 4: This child was laying on the side of the road. I wouldn't go nowhere, I wouldn't call it my house.
Speaker 3: Those first five murderers should have been a huge warning bell for the police. We just want to know what happened.
Speaker 12: This person must have all that. They were thinking that maybe it's just one person, and he says, uh, they need to know.
Speaker 4: This is me. I thought that they would catch him. I thought it was just a matter of time.
Speaker 3: I'm Celeste Headley and this is Freeway Phantom. Next time on Freeway Phantom.
Speaker 9: People were scared. I mean parents was scared.
Speaker 4: Children were scared. They wanted to know what more police could do.
Speaker 7: What were they doing.
Speaker 8: He kept her for several days as prisoner.
Speaker 1: When the first victims went missing, there was a really kind of a muted police response.
Speaker 12: You follow a lead until it takes you nowhere. They got all kinds of leads. Everybody was a suspect.
Speaker 15: I got home in the store about six ten pm and asked the kids if Darlenia had been home, and they said they hadn't seen her. I sent the kids around in the next court and they asked the people if they had seen Darlina, and they said now.
Speaker 3: Roy said that there was a body of a dead lady out there. He told us that he notified the police, but the body was still out there.
Speaker 1: Freeway Fantom is a production of iHeart Radio, Tenderfoot TV and Black Bar Mitzvah. Our host is CELESE.
Speaker 4: Hilly.
Speaker 1: The show is written by Trevor Young, Jamie Albright, and CELESE.
Speaker 11: Hiley.
Speaker 1: Executive producers on behalf of iHeart Radio include Matt Frederick and Alex Williams, with supervising producer Trevor Young. Executive producers on behalf of Tenderfoot TV include Donald Albright and Payne Lindsay, with producers Jamie Albright and Tracy Kaplan. Executive producers on behalf of Black Bar Mitzvah include myself, Jay Ellis and Aaron Bergman with producer Sidney Fools. Lead researcher is Jamie Albright. Artwork by Mister Soul two one six original music by Makeup and Vanity Set Special thanks to a team at Uta Beck Media and Marketing and the Nord Group, Tenderfoot TV and iHeartMedia, as well as Black Bar Mitzvah, have increased the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for their Freeway Phanom murders. The previous reward of up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars offered by the Metropolitan Police Department has been matched. A new total reward of up to three hundred thousand dollars is now being offered. If you have any information relating to these unsolved crimes, contact the Metropolitan Police Department at area code two zero two seven two seven nine zero ninety nine. For more information, please visit Freeway Dashfanom dot com. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio and Tenderfoot TV, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks for listening.