Speaker 1: And now.
Speaker 2: Moving my mic back.
Speaker 1: You're like that.
Speaker 3: You can strikes with waters from headquarters behind him and the line.
Speaker 2: If you're just tuned it in the civic exich for I'm your host, Ramsay's job, Rams' job, I am q ward.
Speaker 1: You guys are listening to CIVI excited.
Speaker 2: Does indeed stick around? We still got a lot more show in stow for you. We're gonna be talking about the U Order Department of Education be ashamed of them, So we're gonna be talking about that they in short, I don't think that, uh, the education of African American studies has any educational value, and so we're gonna break that down. And we're also going to be spending some time talking about a gentleman by the name of Bo Diddley for our way Black history fact. For those of you who are are fans of rock and roll music or blues or any of that sort of stuff, we're going to show you the black origins of certainly rock and roll. I'm sure that you can actually tell about the blues. But before we get there, let's talk about becoming a better ally. Baba Baba. So today's b a Ba is sponsored by major Threads for the finest in quality menswear, check out major threads dot com. Todays Bobba comes from Black Enterprise and the headline reads. One of the nation's largest mutual fund companies, Fidelity Investments, is pledging two hundred and fifty million dollars to help as many as fifty thousand Black, Latin X, and historically underserved students go to college. So the Boston based firm is making the commitment via a fresh social impact initiative, Impact on All Left My Team initiative, known as invest in My Education for over the next five years, will include providing students with scholarships and mentorships. It will focus on boosting college graduation rates, helping students finish school with no debt, and providing assistance and obtaining well paying jobs after college. The support is truly needed. Fidelity disclosed that just twenty one percent of Black students who start college graduate within four years versus forty five percent of white students. Moreover, the company revealed that black and Latin X students accumulate twenty five thousand more in student debt than their white peers. To help combat some of the disparity, Fidelity is joining with United Negro College Fund, which calls itself the nation student's largest and most effective education organization. With the gift, UNCF revealed it has gained the largest philanthropic corporate gift in its seventy eight year history from Bidelli Investments to launch the Fidelity Scholars Program. The UNCF reported Fidelity is donating one hundred and ninety million to UNCF as part of the company's two hundred and fifty million dollars initiative. And I think that this is very important because education is often seen as elitist, and this is kind of leveling the playing field and getting some more folks out there. So we applaud that that absolutely is an example of becoming a better ally. So shout out to Fidelity Investments. Now, from a bright moment in education to a a little bit darker moment, Florida Department of Education has declined to include an African American African sorry Advanced Placement African American Studies course proposed by the College Board in schools. This article comes from binnews dot com and before we get into it, what are your early thoughts or what were your early thoughts when you first heard about this and the why.
Speaker 1: You and I have discussed the very very rapid and dramatic temperature change in overt racism post the election of our former president, and I saw hundreds of thousands, millions of black people arguing for overt racism's place in today's culture, in today's ecosystem, as something they preferred. I like it for our racist to wear it on their chests and say it with their chests and let us know how they really feel. And I've always pushed back on that right because the actual outcomes matter more than the performative part.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So if being ashamed of being racist means you treat my children nicer just so people will think you're not racist, then I prefer that I don't need to know your true colors. If the world I live in is better because you're faking it, I don't live with you. I'm not in your home, so you're allowed to keep those private, dangerous, bigoted thoughts to yourself with everyone now wearing it more on their chest. I think I spoke to you off air about the idea that there are a lot of people who part of their not just social identity, but professional identity, is that they're decent. So to protect their pocketbooks, they got to pretend to be decent people, or at least they used to, because something like this would have never been something that we even considered having to cover in news, because those people would have understood how flagrantly and overtly racist it would be to say what they said, to say what they said, and to have something like this make the news, they be too embarrassed. Nobody's embarrassed anymore.
Speaker 2: They're standing on it.
Speaker 1: They're standing again and stand to lose nothing because their supporters now feel more inclined and more emboldened to support these types loud views and express these types views out loud. This governor in a state that is extremely diverse can come out and with a straight face tell people that there is no scholastic or educational value in African American study, that's the most hurtful thing, and have a whole governing body stand behind in him and support it. And I'd be willing to bet that there were minorities involved in this decision. I'd be willing to bet that blindly, you know, I.
Speaker 2: If I were to accept that, it would be very easy because, as we've seen in the first part, of the show when we were talking about the five officers that ended the life of I think his name is Tyree Nichols. They were all black. All five of those officers ended that black child's life. Six black people involved. So absolutely I could totally see this board, you know, parroting these what we believe to be white supremacist sentiments and really espousing these ideals. And again, I think that the thing that's so hurtful about this is that they say it has no educational value. That part is really hurtful. So again I mentioned that I had a conversation, a very meaningful conversation earlier in the week with a person that I feel deserves way more of a stage than he already has, and he's got a huge stage, Anthony Browner. Once upon a time at our old station where we Q and I used to work, I'd go into the the program director's office. I was a music director, So I'd go in the office at the end of the day and I would program the logs for the next day. I was a music director, meaning that I basically scheduled the order in which the songs played. Surprise supplies. You know, they don't take your requests oh, I shouldn't say that anyway. Some Yeah, sometimes sometimes you can get a request in, but for the most part, it's predetermined anyway. So I would go in there and I'd spend some time, put a lot of thought into this, and it would take some time, and I would listen to these lectures. I would listen to these people, these great thinkers, these really educated folks, Anthony Browner being one of them. And I realized that I was either not educated or miseducated. I was given an alternative version of reality. In fact, I still know things that aren't entirely true. And I learned that in my conversation recently with it. And so I personally began to appreciate the value of a full education, an education that included African history as human history, as world history, an education that included African American history as American history. Right, because it's it's crazy. How do you tell the story of the United States. Well, we were being oppressed by you know, the King of England. You know, they were taxing us and not we didn't have any representation, and then we did the Boston Tea Party, and then you know the the you know, you know the story you.
Speaker 1: Know, lack of religious freedom, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is you know, a lot of a lot of things go into this. So basically, we're trying as a country, or as we started off as a series of colonies, but we were trying to gain our independence, right, U, gain some autonomy, be self determined. And you know, this fighting spirit is indeed written into the story of this country, right but when you break it down a little further, for black people, that wasn't true. And we're still trying to make it true day and day after day, year after year, decade after decade. We're still inching forward. Would love to feel as free as that rich white man that we always talk about seems to be.
Speaker 1: It is. You couldn't see it. But as you were saying that, I just got chills. And the reason why, as I've been trying to figure out how to say something for as long as we've been doing this show, and really for as long as I've been having these thoughts, and I think you just helped me get there. I do not think there is a more determined people to be a part of this country's history and what it celebrates. In black people, we really, really, really really really are proud Americans, like insanely so, considering our history with this country and everything that stands for and everything that it was built on. But we are the single most determined people, I think, in the history of the world to subscribe to the teachings and beliefs of a country that has essentially, for most of its history not just undervalued and underappreciated us, but abused us. And we somehow still really, really, really want to be proud Americans. We do not want to seek our revenge, We do not want to overthrow the place. We just want to like all those words that you guys didn't mean about us when you were writing Constitution, when you were writing the villain Rights, when you were writing the Pledge of Allegiance, when you were writing all these beautiful things that we sing and memorize and recite. Even though we now realize you were not talking about us, we still hope one day we're going to wake up and you guys are gonna be like, Okay, you guys too, Yeah, that's it, that's it. Yeah, that's funny that you said that. That is a really that's a pretty low bar. It's both awesome and so crushingly different. Yeah, and I didn't mean to cut you off. I'm saying that. I'm just like.
Speaker 2: Wow, man, like well, I think that that that makes the point, because you know, their worry has historically been with the whole conversation about CRT or really American history and whether or not that should be taught in classrooms there. Their whole conversation has been about it, let's be honest, centering the feelings of white children and the expense of everyone else, of white children's parents.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that way they say, it's about the children, It's about their parents who have to answer those questions and speak to those feelings that their intelligent children will have when they hear those stories. Sure, they're not going to assume culpability and feel guilty themselves. They're gonna feel hurt, They're gonna want questions to answer it. They're gonna feel empathy, and they're gonna have to teach that out of them, and they don't want that. I think the word they use is indoctrinated. They think that these teachers will doctrinate their their children to want to rise up and be good people. Yes, but that's not the words of activist good people. They don't want their children to become activist rooms. That's funny. Well, I think that, uh, you know again that that kind of proves the point. And you know, if you educate people, young people, especially about African American history, black history in this country, and indeed African history by itself, and you teach it all the way thoroughly up to present day, then what you're teaching the students is, well, these black people, these African and African American people, have an incredible resolve.
Speaker 2: They're very diligent. They have been through a lot and have not organized to rise up, you know, in mass you know, and if that were something that were to happen, nobody could really blame them. And yet that's not what they want. They're just simply seeking to be counted. They're seeking to have a fair go of things. Why is my neighbor's house three hundred thousand dollars more than mine and it's the same house. I'm black and I live here and my neighbor's not black, And if I change the family portrait in my house, then all of a sudden, the value of my house goes up three hundred thousand dollars. Why is it the black real estate agents make less. And we're just talking about one tiny, teeny tiny facet. Why is black wealth? Why we're talking about education outcomes? Why is education? You know what I mean? And you can't, And it's there's so many people that will just accept the way the world is because A it doesn't affect them, or B they don't know any better. But you know, I think that a comforting thought for folks is well, that's just how it is. You know, some people are better at this, some people are better at that. And that's a falsehood because what I often do is compare black outcomes across the Atlantic. So are the outcomes for African Americans the same as the outcomes for Africans? And if so, they you know, Okay, your point is well made, But often enough the outcomes are not the same. And so what's the difference. Well, these are African Americans and these are Africans, so the American part must be the difference. So what's going on with the American part that's making the African Americans suffer more than the African counterparts? Granted, Africa is not in the best shape, but there's different ailments in African.
Speaker 1: Countries.
Speaker 2: There's the legacy of colonialism, there's you know, the theft and theft really in mass and then bad deals and people not honoring and then all kinds of government manipulation, British government manipulation that you know, destabilizes the country. And then you have left with the continent that looks the way it looks now. But you know how the prison populations look. You know what I mean, You see what I'm saying. So history is very, very important because it gives you a framework to understand the world a little bit better. Now, I didn't read this article yet, and I do need to read it just to you know, preserve some journalistic integrity here, So I'll start. According to w E s H two News, the FDOE said in a letter to College Board that it would not approve including ap African American studies into the Florida Course Code directory and instructional personnel assignments because quote, the content of this course is inexplicably, inexplicably contrary to Florida law. That would have been enough. It wouldn't have been enough. But okay, but here's where the knife gets twisted and significantly lacks educational value. Okay, that's the hurtful part. So my history lacks educational value. And mind you, this is an.
Speaker 1: AP course and it's contrary to the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get that. That's you know, you fight some battles, you lose some battles. What are you going to do? Right, But then to go ahead and insult the educational value of our history is a slap in the face. You know. As a matter of fact, our way black history facts should have been about that that beach in Florida where only blacks could that was the only beach in Florida where black people could go and swim. In fact, I'll do that, and that'll show you just how racist Florida has been in the past. And this obviously shows that Florida is still, at least in these pockets of power, tenuous power, how racist it still can be. And I was making a point. This is an AP course, so those for those familiar, AP is not kindergarten, it's not first grade, it's not second grade. AP is advanced placement, I believe is the is what it's abbreviated for. I I took AP courses in high school. It was a long time ago, but all right, I'll finish reading or I'll continue reading rather. The AP African American Studies course was limited this academic year in sixty schools across the nation. Per the College Board website, the course intends to introduce high school students to African American studies and includes a curriculum that covers literature, geography, and more. Here's a quote. Drawing from expertise and experience of college faculty and teachers across the country, the course is designed to offer high school students an evidence based introduction to African American studies. The description of the course reads, per College Board quote, the interdisciplinary course reaches into a variety of fields literature, the arts and humanities, political science, geography, and more science to explore the vital contributions and experiences of African Americans. During the twenty twenty three twenty four academic school year, the pilot is expected to be implemented in hundreds of schools before all institutions can start offering the course in twenty twenty four to twenty five. The first AP exams are set to be administered in the spring of twenty twe twenty five, following the FDE blocking the African American Studies course. College Board issued the following statement quote, Like all new AP courses, AP African American Studies is undergoing a rigorous multi year pilot phase, collecting feedback from teachers, students, scholars, and policymakers. The process of piloting and revising course frameworks is standard part of any new AP course, and frameworks changed significantly as a result. We look forward to publicly releasing the updated course framework as soon as it is completed and well before this class is widely available in American high schools. In its letter to college Board, the FDOE wrote, in the future, should College Board be willing to come back to the table with lawful, historically accurate content, FDOE will always be willing to reopen the discussion. Okay, So, basically, they spent years with some of the most prominent educators in this country developing in this curriculum, They piloted it to see if it were works, and then when they took it to Florida, Florida says it lacks significant education or sorry, significantly lacks educational value, and then later says that the content was historically inaccurate. In other words, if you come back to the table with lawful, historically accurate content will resume the conversation, so that lets me.
Speaker 1: Know they and still ultimately till you know, yes and we're empowered to do so.
Speaker 2: Right, they're going to make it wrong even if it's not. They already did that. And I think your point that you made was they're doing this right in front of everyone's face, not even hiding the fact, and they're adding insult to injury. It's like they're mocking us. How dare you say?
Speaker 1: And singularly because other ap history classes from other cultures, other backgrounds, other migrant cultures that came over to this league, talk to them. Those are historical, listory and lawful.
Speaker 2: I did a talk about this again on the Black Information Network Daily podcast where I discussed the Holocaust. So m hmm, let's talk about this tragedy is a tragedy. I want to make sure that I say that I do believe that children should know about the Holocaust. I believe everybody should know about the Holocaust. It is an awful thing that happened, and we need to continue to learn from it so that we know how to be the best brothers and sisters to our Jewish brothers and sisters as we can possibly be A and B. We need to know about it so we know how to observe the uh makes of a similar event phenomenon taking place in the future, so that we can prevent it from you know, prevent the systematic extermination of human beings for their religious beliefs. Right, it's necessary. It has significant educational value. Right, I believe this, Right, so does the Florida Department of Education.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Six million. Now, again, I'm not an atrocity is an atrocity, and I'm not trying to compare other than to say that while that counts in my view and their view as significantly having educational value. Also, when you take into account the amount of slaves that die just in the Middle Passage, I think that was somewhere in the neighborhood of eighty million, eighty eighty five million, something like that. If that number may not be right, but it's certainly more than six million, right, And so that too belongs here, And if that were the only thing, that would be it. But obviously the rabbit hole goes much deeper. But now it's time for the way Black history facts. So let's move it on. Today's Way. Black History Fact is sponsored by the Black Information Network Daily Podcast and today we are pulling from two sources, so we be Rollingstone dot com. Shout out to Rolling Stone, they did a nice article on us and Blackpast dot org and we are talking about Bo Diddley. Sorry, I had a moment shout out to Rolling Stone because they did an article on us. That's actually shout out. They did do an article on this show.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's that's special.
Speaker 1: That's an impossible thing to say out loud, and it'll be true. Man, we're doing something special apparently, all right.
Speaker 2: Boxer and singer Bo Didley, whose birth name was Ellis Bates McDaniel, was born on December thirtieth, nineteen twenty eight, in McComb, Mississippi. He was adopted by his mother's cousin. When the mother's husband died in the mid nineteen thirties, McDaniel moved her family to Chicago, where young Ellis took violin lessons from Professor ol W. Frederick at the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church. He studied violin for twelve years and composed two concertos or concertos. I never know how to say that word. In nineteen forty, his sister bought McDaniel and acoustic guitar for Christmas. He soon started to play the guitar, largely duplicating his actions on the violin. Soon afterwards, he formed his first group of three, named the Hipsters and later known as the Langley Avenue Jive Cats. I Love That. It was during this time that the band leaders gave him the nickname Bo Diddley. Didley recorded his first single, Bo did Lee Slash I Am a Man on March second, nineteen fifty five, on Checkers Records. It topped the R and B chart for two weeks. Soon afterward, Didley began to tour, performing in schools, colleges, and churches across the United States. Regardless of the venue, he taught people the importance of respect and education and all the dangers of drugs and gang culture. For a young black singer and guitarist from Chicago with only a minor hit, getting booked on the Ed Sullivan Show in nineteen fifty five was a career making opportunity. Sullivan asked him to sing Tennessee Eerie Ford's country smash sixteen Tons. Instead, The young star unleashed the guitar Maelstrom that introduced him to the world and whose title bore his name, Bo Didley. The audience went wild, and Sullivan fumed, promising that Diddley would never appear on television again. Later, Didley recalled the aftermath quote he says to me, you're the first colored boy ever double crossed me on a song unquote. And I started to hit dude because I was a young hoodlum out of Chicago and thought colored boy was an insult. Hey, man, you're right about that. Colored boy is an insult, all right. Idley was pure masculinity, with songs that shouted his name and proclaimed his skills with a cigar box shaped guitar he designed himself, a stetson on his head, and a sound that permanently reoriented the world's senses of rhythm. Bo Diddley called himself the Originator, and when he died at age seventy nine on June second from heart Sorry that would have been two thousand and eight, from heart failure in his home in Archer, Florida, music lost a one of a kind pioneer. Bo Diddley was known for many new musical styles and innovations. He was one of the first musicians of the nineteen fifties to incorporate women musicians, including Lady Bo. He hired a full time to play all of his stage performances, whereupon she became the first female lead guitarist in history to be employed by a major act. Also, the usage of special effects like reverb and his manipulations of the guitar made him a groundbreaking musician. Didley hopped and strutted around stage while playing his guitar, over his head, with his teeth, and even between his legs. In that regard, he influenced numerous rock musicians from the nineteen sixties on, and in nineteen eighty six, Vau Didley was inducted into the Washington Area Music Association's Hall of Fame. Then in the following year, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. In nineteen ninety six, Didley received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation in Los Angeles, while the following year his nineteen fifty five debut record of his song Bo Didley was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame as a recording of Lasting qualitative or historical significance. Also in nineteen ninety six, he received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammy Awards ceremony. In two thousand, Didley was inducted into the Mississippi Museum Musicians Hall of Fame as well as the North Florida Music Association's Hall of Fame. And in seven Didley went to Mississippi to receive the Governor's Award for Excellence in Arts for Lifetime Achievement, which is the state's highest arts honor. Let's see, and he was married four times, and he was survived by his five children, fifteen grandchildren, and fifteen great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren. And I love this story because and the reason that I was kind of prime for the story is because I saw a clip on social media as a video of Ray Charles, right, and Ray Charles was getting interviewed. My older sister actually posted this, So shout out to my sister Trudy, and that's your screen name if you want to follow her. It's true underscore D. Anyway, so this video, a journalist isn't excuse me interviewing Ray Charles, and he says something like, you know, Elvis is really good, right, Elvis is really good?
Speaker 4: And Ray Charles goes, oh, okay, okay, and the journalist says, whoa, okay, well, you know, you tell me what are your thoughts on Elvis?
Speaker 2: And he says, well, Elvis is you know, let's be honest. And then effectively, what he says is that Elvis copied black music, copied black dance styles, singing styles, you know, guitar styles, etc. And just repackaged it for a white audience. And that's why he was successful. But that didn't make him good. It's not just to say that he was bad, but there were certainly a lot of people who were better performers, musicians, singers, et cetera. And so for Elvis to be celebrated in that way, Ray Charles just couldn't really see it, and he was almost insulted. In fact, I think he was insulted to be having to have this conversation about Elvis Presley when he's Ray Charles, right, and from his perspective, you get, it didn't seem like arrogance. It seemed like, well, shoot, I never thought of that. You're absolutely right, you know, we you know who didn't grow up in that time, we look at it like, oh, yeah, Elvis, he's like one of the greats, Sure, why not, right, But the way he tells it, it's like, oh, shoot, he's right, right. And so having that sort of as the backdrop for you know, this Bo Diddley story, I realized that, you know, it's up to us to make those connections, those decidedly black connections to rock and roll, to everything that was black, because you know, we need to give credit where credit is due. We need to highlight our contributions to this country in entertainment and in every other space because they're often overlooked, and we need to make sure that we celebrate our heroes. And so Bo Diddley was the name of the day, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is your way Black history.
Speaker 1: Fact. That's incredible, nice and neat right. Yeah, I got to learn about Bo Diddley as a kid because Bo Jackson a very prominent and famous athlete. Part of his marketing campaign through Nike was you don't know Bo, and then Bo Diddley said, BO don't know Diddley. So it was a really good play on words in a way of interjecting himself back into the sociular culture and the culture I love that well.
Speaker 2: We'd like to thank you once again for tuning in to Civic Cipher. I am your host.
Speaker 1: Ramsey's job is Ramsy's job. I am q Ward. This is once again Civic Cipher. MH. Do us a favor.
Speaker 2: Hit the website civic Cipher dot com. Check out this in any previous episodes. If you feel so inclined, shoot us any topics you want us to cover, any questions we can answer for you, Please make a donation. The show is growing and your donations are certainly helping us on our way. And be sure to tap in with us on our social media. It's at ex cipher on all platforms. You can follow me at ramses job. I thank you, Ward and think that'll do it for us around here. So until next time, y'all pace.
Speaker 1: Y'all ma yo.
Speaker 3: We had the lab These brothers a fabulous to our ladies, showing you where Vron traveled this world, spigt from sunlight to move, busting on stage like Gona fights the b roll my mic back. You're like that journalists with journalists too, we can strike back a horb borders with orders from head Borders behind in the beline side.
Speaker 2: Set up and the borders with press passes.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you.
Speaker 3: As it habits the streets, love blockdorm from music and Wrapping, the street compland the Slash week expander. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 2: What's happless? You've got any questions to ask?
Speaker 3: If Deduce is just a TV show you're passing And this from a quiet wartime. Journalists headlines wait God, previs and resist like this, like this, like this, like it, and it is not