Speaker 1: Hi, Perry. We're here in person.
Speaker 2: It's so cool to be in person. This is our first in person episode.
Speaker 1: It's very nice to see your face.
Speaker 2: You too. We are in the lovely Yale Broadcasting Center here in New Haven, Connecticut. We have Ryan McAvoy, our Yale side you engineer in the background here making a sound amazing, and of course tomorrow our ever producer on the other end of the line. So cool.
Speaker 1: This is so fun, a great time.
Speaker 2: We're talking about cupping and dry needling today, and I came into this knowing deep in my soul one thing being true, and that is that Emily clearly would never do dry needling, because you have mentioned in at least six episodes so far that you're afraid of needles and and would never like do botox or anything like that, simply because you don't want someone injecting something into you. And then you kind of casually mention offhand like, oh, yeah, I had needles in me that they were electric current threat I have done.
Speaker 3: I have done this where they stick the needles in and they put like a like jumper.
Speaker 1: Cables on them and they go like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and then and then they get your your muscle to contract a lot.
Speaker 2: What muscle? Why were you doing this?
Speaker 1: I was injured.
Speaker 2: Were they trying to extract information from you?
Speaker 3: It was it was in the service of recovery, you remember, I was. It was my very mean chiropractor who always fixes everything.
Speaker 1: His name is Dennis, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: He said that this would fix my problem, and I feel like it did, which is a comment about the rest of the episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm starting this episode incredibly surprised. Also hearing that Emily has a chiropractor. I don't know what I'm gonna do with that. I'm going to take that in as we go into the break.
Speaker 3: I'm Emily Aster, I'm an economist and a data expert.
Speaker 2: And I'm Harry Wilson, I'm a medical doctor.
Speaker 3: It's Thursday, June fourth, twenty twenty six. And this is wellness actually.
Speaker 2: Because you're getting a staggering amount of health and wellness information nowadays from every source imaginable, and some of it is awesome and some.
Speaker 3: Of it is well actually both Fortunately we are both people who know how to read studies, how to parse the data, and can tell you what's worth thinking about and what you can safely ignore.
Speaker 2: But before we dig in, a note that this podcast is for educational purposes and should not be construed as medical advice. We don't know your unique situation, so talk to your doctor for personal health decisions.
Speaker 3: This week we're asking what's the deal with cupping and dry needling? Perry and I will give the official smash or pass, and then we'll get to your question of the week. But first let's do the health news roundup after the break. And now for the health news of the week, Harry, I want to start with some really good news. There was a meeting of the American Society of Clinical Ecology this week, and perhaps the most successful presentation was about a new medication called direct sun recib, which is a pancreatic cancer treatment. The results in the survival curve pictures were so spectacular that the author got a forty two second standing ovation, and then, in the true spirit of people whose time is limited for their presentations, was like, that doesn't count against my time, So this is incredibly exciting. I will say, I want to hear what you think, but I also want to surface that one of the things that's come up some in the discussions online amidst the people saying this is amazing. Is people saying, oh, well, it's only a median survival increase of seven months. You know, where's my cure for cancer? And so I'm curious, where's my cure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, first of all, let's level set a little bit here. We're talking about metastatic pancreatic cancer. I mean, one of the worst diagnoses a person can possibly get. The one year survival after a diagnosis of metastatic pancreatic cancer is something like ten percent. Right, this is an absolutely terrible disease. This new drug, deroxonra sib is an oral RAS inhibitor, so it's not chemotherapy per se. It's it's obviously quite powerful, but it targets a mutation that's commonly found in these cancers. And this was a phase three randomized control trial of five hundred patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer, pretty big trial in this space. And the difference in median survival was about six months. Associated you can translate that into a survival rate different or hazard ratio of zero point four or five, So you can think of that like a fifty five percent reduction in the risk of death over time. This is unheard of in this disease, Like, it's really there's nothing that's ever come close to this, hence the standing ovation at the ASCO meeting. But yes, it's not a cure, you know, it's unlikely, sadly to say, like curing absolutely curing any given disease is always a bit of a pipe dream, with the exception of rare infectious diseases that only infect humans and can be prevented with vaccines, and even then we have a great deal of difficulty doing that. People will continue to die of pancreatic cancer because there's a lot of mutations and things that can make different cancers different. But this is obviously a huge improvement over the status quo. I think the other thing that I want to ask you about, because I'm sure you'll have a thought on this, is people looking at the difference in median survival of like okay, six months or whatever, and they say, oh, well, but how much are we spending for six months of life? And I know we've talked about this offline, like, I don't think this is the right way to think about this. Tell me how you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I mean I think often people hear that and they think, well, if I didn't get the treatment, you would live for three months, and if you got the treatment, you would live for nine months, as if those things are sort of set in stone. But in fact, what this is sort of translating to is at all time points, people are less likely to die. And they've kind of aggregated that out. But what it means is that you're getting increased survival, you know, potentially for quite.
Speaker 1: A long time.
Speaker 2: And it's an average.
Speaker 3: It's an average, and so when we think about like what would it mean to cure something or what would it mean to sort of deliver a lengthy period that would be very meaningful. Some of the people who are treated with this new treatment lived. In fact, about half of them were still alive at a year, which is again compared to ten percent, and you know, again some of those people are going to be live longer than that, so you're buying some time on the on the tail. I think the other thing people miss is, Okay, this is a first line of this, like we're going to get better, The side effects are gonna.
Speaker 1: Presumably be better under.
Speaker 3: Control, and it's you know, opening up new lines for how we would have longer term survival. And if you look at something like metastatic breast cancer, which you know has had prior to this a lot of innovation, the way people are thinking about the potential survival and that disease is very different than they were ten years ago, including to the point of saying, you know, maybe people could live ten twenty years with metastatic ye breast cancer.
Speaker 2: So just this feels like the same thing, like with metastatic melanoma, which also used to be like, oh, that's a death sentence, and now with immunotherapies and some other therapies, it's like, no, okay, people are living. I mean, take Jimmy Carter right a long time with metastatic melanoma. So this is huge progress. It's just we've made a lot on abashedly good.
Speaker 1: News, exactly very very good news.
Speaker 2: We don't usually think about mosquitoes as being good news, but maybe it is Google. Yep, Google and the alphabet company that Google wants to release thirty two million mosquitoes in Florida and California, presumably so that we all stay inside and use their services more.
Speaker 1: It's a pitch towards the Internet.
Speaker 3: No So the goal here is to release mosquitos male mosquitoes that are sterile and that would then outcompete the non sterile mosquitoes for sexual partners, but then be unable to fertilize the eggs due to being sterile, and that that would lower the mosquito population. So it's basically an attempt to control the longer term mosquito population by introducing a bunch of mosquitoes that are shooting blanks in the hope that you will get fewer later.
Speaker 2: By the way, a mosquito vest actimy veryal surgery, very difficult, delicate.
Speaker 1: Very delicate.
Speaker 3: Fortunately they're using other techniques to achieve this. So this is actually something that has been tried with some success in other settings, particularly in places where malaria is endemic. This is something people have talked about as a potential approach to eliminating the species of mosquitoes that spread malaria, and we've had we've had some success with that. The trick here is, of course, you probably don't want to get rid of all of the mosquitoes, and most species of mosquitoes do not cause disease in people.
Speaker 1: So in the US there are.
Speaker 3: Some diseases you get through mosquitoes like a snile, you can get triple E, which is very bad. But most mosquitoes are just annoying and they also feed the birds and the frogs and other things that we like. So like, completely getting rid of mosquitos is probably not a good idea. But this isn't a potential approach. You think you're okay with it now, but then there's no frogs, and then there's.
Speaker 2: No whatever is bigger.
Speaker 3: Okay, listen, it's it's an ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: By getting rid of the mosquitoes that that give you terrible diseases is something people are interested in, and this is this is one sort of simple approach that is, you know, arguably better than spraying up with a bunch of toxins, which we've tried in the.
Speaker 1: Past and have some downsides.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, Perry, there's a new study about farting, and I love you to just say more about farting.
Speaker 2: So I wrote about this study this week, and it's what she did, because of course I did. Because the Derek sonracib study comes out and it's like, oh, this is the greatest advanced in metastatic pancreatic cancer in you know history, and I'm like, but this week I'll be writing about fart yep, So here we are. So a new study in gem and Network open tracking the gaseous emissions of a bit over six thousand Australians as part of a citizen science initiative. They they all volunteered and downloaded an app called Chart Your.
Speaker 1: Fart, Chart Your Fart and uh.
Speaker 2: When you fart, you open the up and you mark the time of day and you can also optionally like rated across several scales, including the smell and the audibility, and actually one of the things was the detectability, which is you know, to test weather you smelt it. The actual reason for the study is to generate normative data on how often people fart, so that you can have some baseline against which to measure outcomes for gas or intestinal illness trials. So if people are complaining about excessive flatulence, like you need to know what normal is. You can be like, oh, yes, that is excessive, so you need to kind of have a normal distribution. That's what the study was for. I was looking into a little bit of the history of studies of farting. Farting. One of the earliest was from seventeen eighty one. There was a seventy five year old scientist who noted that we fart about seven times a day, by the way, the Australian study said about five times a day, men slightly more than women. But I think women are lying.
Speaker 1: Men are also lying, but it's probably.
Speaker 2: More than that, right anyway, back in seventeen eighty one, seven times a day, according to this scientist, and he wanted to create a prize to invent a substance that could be added to our food that would make quote, the natural discharges of wind from our bodies not only an offensive but agreeable as perfumes, sort of saying like why.
Speaker 1: Can't we just why can't our fart smell that?
Speaker 2: And yeah, why can't our fart smell better? And you know, it's been more than whatever twound amost two hundred fifty years and we have not we have not cracked that particular chestnut. Do you know who that scientist was, Benjamin Franklin, Benjamin.
Speaker 1: Okay, that guy had a lot of good ideas and some less good ideas.
Speaker 2: And I think it was like a little bit of a dirty bird.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think I think a little bit. You know, they probably all were.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I thought was interesting from this study is when people fart, they fart at night.
Speaker 2: So you far like the majority of it, but you're not tracking at night.
Speaker 3: Between seatween six and ten pm after dinner, when people have consumed a larger meal, more fiber, that's when the farts get going.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's certainly when my dog is farting them, right.
Speaker 3: No comment on yourself. Okay, all right, that's it for the health news of the week. After the break, what's the deal with cupping and dry needling?
Speaker 2: And we're back. We are going to talk about cupping and dry needling. Today is a two for one episode. We'll start with We'll start with cupping. Smash your past cupping, then move on to dry needling, do the same thing. So I want to start with cupping, and I'm going to play you a clip from a science y talking influencer online, you know, saying like, what is this cupping stuff that people are talking about?
Speaker 4: For over three thousand years, Cupping was an ancient practice that helped people accelerate their bodies healing. The practice was documented in ancient Egypt and China, and it was also endorsed by Hippocrates, and so how cupping works is that it applies a gentle vacuum pressure upon the surface of the skin and tissues, and it's more than just pulling on your skin. Studies have shown that cupping dilates your blood vessels to improve circulation, removes metabolic waste by improving your lymphatic drainage, and supports the local immune function in that area. And past randomized control trials show that cupping is an amazing complementary therapy, helping people with chronic lower back or neck pain, fibromyalgia, and even migraines. And even better, cupping helps you fight stress by improving your body's parasympathetic tone and also regulating the stress hormone called cortisol. Key takeaway here is don't judge a book by its cruise cover. Cupping is one of those agent practices fused with modern science that shows it accelerates your body's healing.
Speaker 2: Walk me through, what do you think when you hear that off the top?
Speaker 1: This is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing I think when I see I mean, I just like that is my first REACTIONA my brother has this done?
Speaker 1: Actually?
Speaker 3: Oh, and he's always showing up to family vacations with these like bruises, not bruises, but these things all over.
Speaker 2: Oh no, they're bruises.
Speaker 1: Okay, He's always showing.
Speaker 3: Up with all of these things all over himself, and I always just think, I think it's ridiculous, and I make fun of him, as one does with one siblings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you should always make fun of your siblings. But we do need to check what the evidence actually shows. I mean, one of the things when our listeners are hearing that there are things that often show up in this space that sound legitimate and kind of aren't. One is called the argument from antiquity, which you know, he said, you know, from the over the for at least three thousand years, people have been doing this, and they're implicit in that statement is like, well it must work if people have been doing it for three thousand years. And of course there's countless counterexamples of things that people have done for a very long time, like bleeding people for disease. They have ideas, you know, crushing which is under large stones, and other things that they did for an awfully long time that probably weren't a good idea. So I always kind of when I hear the argument from antiquity, I kind of roll my eyes and like, all right, but we can do.
Speaker 1: Better than that. Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I also I want to take a step back on both cupping and try anything, because I think this is a place where we are going to have to engage aggressively with the placebo effect.
Speaker 1: So we talked about the placebo effect a lot.
Speaker 3: Just to be clear, the placebo effects refers to the fact that when you do something to someone or have somebody take something or tell them in some way something might make them better, even if you did nothing, even if the pill you give them is a sugar pill. Even if the cups are not effective and do nothing you can, you will are still likely to get people to respond because they think something's going to happen.
Speaker 1: And that is a very very powerful effect. And this works even better than we think.
Speaker 3: So one piece of this is that placebo effects tend to work better when people believe that they're going to work, So if you believe in something, it's.
Speaker 1: More likely to show up as a placebo.
Speaker 3: The second thing, and this is I think my most interesting fact about placebo effects, is that you can get a placebo effect even if.
Speaker 1: You tell someone it's a placebo.
Speaker 3: So if you tell someone I am giving you a sugar pill, but a lot of people find that it helps even though there's nothing in this pill, you will get a placebo effect versus telling them, you know, versus not telling them that.
Speaker 1: Like, people can get the placebo.
Speaker 3: Effect even if they know it's fake. And I think, like, that's it's crazy that brain. The brain is so interesting. But what that means for this stuff is or for any kind of any kind of attempt at a causal inference of some treatment, is you really need to generate a placebo feeling in everyone. So if you give people a vaccine, we give everybody a vaccine. We don't just give half the people a vaccine and tell the other people while you're in the control group, we give them a vaccine of something else, so they think that they got the vaccine.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, some different, some different we give them like that they have to believe.
Speaker 3: It is very difficult to do that kind of placebo control trial with something where the result of the treatment is to end up with giant welts all of yourself.
Speaker 1: Because it's like, what is the fake welts, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it comes up in the needling stuff too, Like it's people have to know that they did this, And we can talk about how how studies try to control for this.
Speaker 1: But for me, this whole space is like very wrapped up in the fact that it could just be all the placebo effect or a huge share of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we talk about the studies, we'll try to flag when studies are quote sham controlled, which is the idea being that they do something to you. It's the equivalent of a placebo. But as you're pointing out, this is a case where that's very like how do you do that right? And what we'll talk about that and whether it's adequately controlled. The other thing I want to say about placebo effects is that there are certain outcomes that are more amenable to placebo and some that are less so. Subjective outcomes things like pain, mood, energy, fatigue, things that you kind of self report are quite susceptible to placebo effects, you know, things like death, LDL, cholesterol stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that you get this infectious disease YEA.
Speaker 2: Those are more objective, and although there are actually some studies that even show placebo effects in those areas, they generally are not as strong as we'll see in this area. And so when you come to wellness things like cupping and dry needling, it's like a perfect storm of Okay, is this placebo? Is something biological actually happening? And there's one other whole set of things that we'll hit on here as long as we're taking a fifty thousand foot view before we really dive in. And that's thing called co intervention bias. So a classic example of co intervention bias. Let's say I have a new blood pressure drug and I'm going to test it against placebo. So I got a sugar pill and a new blood pressure drug, and I split my group in half and half get the blood PRESSU drug, half get the placebo. But you know, in the group that gets the blood pressure drug, I call them once weak to check in to see if they're having any side effects. I know the placebo people aren't having side effects. It's a sugar pill. But I'm a little worried, So I'm going to call once a week and be like, hey, like, how you doing. You feel lightheaded? What's going on? That interaction is another intervention, a co intervention that is being applied just to one group, And so when you design these studies you have to really careful that you're not testing other things, right, So you actually need to call the Placbo group and be like, are you having any side effects?
Speaker 1: But you've got to do the whole thing, and then they probably are.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: Actually, I found is very.
Speaker 2: I've been under one hundred percent. When it comes to practices like cupping and try kneeling and acupuncture and kiro practice and everything, there's a set of co interventions that aren't just the cups going on you. You're in a nice dark room, there's like calm music playing, another human is there and like talking to you and putting their hands on your body, And these in and of themselves can have powerful biologic effects and psychological effects. And so we really have our work cut out for us to try to tease out the unique marginal benefit of you know, adding a cup to this lovely, lovely other fireroom.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's start with for the for the uninitiated, there are basically three kinds of.
Speaker 1: Cupping, So please tell me what these are and why you don't want the one called.
Speaker 2: Fire You don't want fire company sounds awesome. I don't want wet cup all right, let's start. Okay, most of the cupan you're going to see online is dry cupping, and what this is is you it's it is literally a cup like a suction cup. You put it on a part of your body. You'll see people with on their back like any place of the little stick, and you suck the air out, typically with a little vacuum pump in. It sucks the skin up into it. Usually the vacuum is quite strong, in fact, strong enough to break the capillaries under the skin, which causes bleeding under the skin. That's bruising.
Speaker 1: That's a bruise.
Speaker 2: That's what it is, those cup marks or bruises. That's called dry cupping. Wet cupping is the same thing, but the practitioner nicks the skin before they put the suction cup on, so it actually.
Speaker 1: Isn't this just bleeding?
Speaker 2: Isn't this just do we have a thing called we're getting real close?
Speaker 1: Could you put leaches on and then put the cup on top of the leach and then.
Speaker 2: I mean that would not be good for the leech. I'm sure if we go yeah, I don't think the leech likes that. But but yeah, so that's that's now you're like sucking the blood out a little bit, and as you're as you're sucking fire cupping is just kind of a cool and more dangerous way of creating the vacuum. So instead of a vacuum pump, what you do is you you light a little piece of paper or like a I think he's a cotton swap soaked in alcohol, you know, and you so you light it, you put it under the under the cup before it's on the person's body, so hot air gets inside, and then you stick the cup on the person and as the hot air cools, it contracts, right, and that creates the.
Speaker 3: Case like a low tech it's just like lower lower tech version, lower tech version.
Speaker 1: Why are people doing this? What is the point of this activity?
Speaker 2: Here's the argument you see, and I've seen this many many times. It's like massage is good. I agree with that. But in massage, we push on you, okay, and it compresses things. And this is like massage, but the opposite, like we pull. It's gonna open up your muscle. It's gonna like stretch things out and let things kind of flow around and stuff like that. Okay, Yeah, yeah, what do you think.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it seems ridiculous, like but you know, I guess that's what data is for. I mean, this feels I'm I might have said the same about massage, and I think we again, well we can talk about that another episode. But I guess this is a place where I'm not totally clear on the biological plausibility. And I think part of the issue is it's in a lot of these discussions, it's actually not at all clear, like what is the outcome we're looking at? Right, So it's a lot of these is like with toxins, we're doing We're gonna put this on, it's going to pull out the toxins. Like that's not how First of all, that's what your kidneys are, liver, you have all these organs, internal organs for dealing with the toxins. But also just like pulling on your skin is it's not like pulling out that doesn't make any sense. It's a stupid idea, really dumb for toxins.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so that's just bullsh that's straight up bullsh Nothing is coming out of your skin, even the wet needling when like a little bit of blood is coming out of your skin like blood. It's it's blood. Your kidneys are gonna filter way more blood. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. The kidneys filter one hundred milliliters of blood per minute right all day long.
Speaker 1: That's a lot the whole job.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of blood that cycles through your entire blood volume, like twenty five times a day. You're not getting that much out from from wet cupping. And also it's not like it gets cleaned and.
Speaker 1: It's just like you just lose it. And it's like and how wouldn't know to take out the bad blood anyway?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Whatever?
Speaker 1: This is stupid, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's just put toxins aside. I want to go to muscular skeletal because I think that's where like the most biologic plausibility is. And one of the videos I saw felt more like massage than the others. So you'll see videos where there's just like cups, cups, cups, cup cups, Like someone's entire back is just lined with these suction cups and yeah, there, I'm like, that's what my brother does. That's what your brother does, okay, And also like Michael Phelps does right, like you see athletes that are doing this, et cetera. Then I saw a video where a person took a cup they had kind of I guess they had like lathered up the skin a little bit so they could make a seal. I think it was on the guy's leg and they were moving the cup up and down the leg, so it was sucking and they were kind of moving it, And I was like, Okay, that's massage with extra Like.
Speaker 3: It feels a little bit like the arguments for foam rolling or something like basically some kind of like a fairly aggressive like muscle interaction that sort of causes some muscle breakdown which then should come back better, which I think is the idea behind foam rolling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand. Yeah, you know, I was thinking about massage versus cupping two and like this argument that a massage is compressing and cupping is whatever. The opposite of compressing is tensing. But then I was like, actually, you know what massage also like stretches, Like you're not just pushing straight down right, you're moving, which means like you're obviously you are pulling tissue aside and like letting stuff flow and whatnot.
Speaker 1: So is this just a kind of massage.
Speaker 2: I think there are ways to do this that it's just a kind of massage, and that's probably fine. Like if you're taking the cup and moving it around and not causing the like capillaries to break in the skin and causing big bruises, then maybe it's just a kind of fancy massage. And if it feels good, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Do we have any data that will suggest that this is good? Sure, there's always data, there's always data.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to talk I think about chronic nonspecific low back pain.
Speaker 3: Everybody loves chronic non specific low back pain. I mean this is like a very common problem that people.
Speaker 2: Have a hugely common problem. And you know that trope that's like doctors hate this, Okay, that's a way actors hate that. I hate this. Yeah, And the reason I hate it is because I have no great treatments for chronic non specific low back pain. I mean I have like physical therapy and exercise and weight loss, but it's just those things are hard for people to do, and it goes on and on and on. Okay. So I have a study here from the Journal Physiotherapy twenty twenty one. Dry cupping versus sham for chronic nonspecific low back pain. We've got ninety people. Forty five got dry cup being forty five got shammed sham cupping for four weeks, and they followed up it eight weeks, and both groups had a modest improvement in chronic not specific low back pain in the end, including the sham cupping group.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And I will say this is there was no significant difference in that study. And it's actually quite difficult to sham cup someone because just like people know if you are putting a cup on and sucking things out and they're ending up with like giant bruises versus just like someone put a cup on you.
Speaker 1: Like, people are not idiots, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like so unless you're putting the cup on and then like coloring it in or something or like, I don't know what is the thing you do to make people think that you gave them a somewhat painful bruising.
Speaker 1: This is I don't think this is comfortable. It's not like a no FUSI. It hurts.
Speaker 2: It hurts absolutely, like it's really sucking up.
Speaker 3: This is an example where I don't even know why sham I mean, I guess you had a little bit of the sha totaled it. Maybe you told people like maybe if you never have this before and you had is that maybe that's the case. You never had this before and you don't know it's a thing to expect, and so you just think it's someone waving cups around over you, like maybe then that's still I mean, And anyway, didn't find anything, so fine sham.
Speaker 2: What they did here, just to give them some credit, is they they had special cups that had a little like valve in it, and so it would suck like they would put it on and they would apply the suction EI and then like a few seconds later, all the air would like leap back in, so you did feel a little bit like and then it would like deflate.
Speaker 1: So maybe that's why I didn't it didn't work.
Speaker 3: This is also not in a very good I mean, a lot of these papers that try to talk about this aren't actually not in very good journals, and I think that can be hard for people to tease out, tease out like why is the journal of you know this? And the more I feel something, the more words are in the title of the journal, the worst it is. It's not always true, but it can be difficult to figure out is this really something where it got aggressive peer review and some real experts looked at it, or is it just you know, you paid the journal one thousand dollars and they publish your paper, which definitely there are many journals like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean my feeling on this whole space is like, it's very very unlikely that this has anything but a tiny marginal impact. But if it is something that people like and they feel like it helps them, then maybe that's maybe that's fine. Well that's what we always come down with placebo, right, I know, it's like if it's just if it's just fine, I.
Speaker 2: Know, what's the harm? You know, you're spending some money. We'll go through some harms. There are some actually interesting case reports of harms. But I do want to give one more potential positive for cupping, which is in blood flow. Okay, so it would make sense maybe that if you like suction a lot that like more blood would flow to that area, and that has been shown with laser flowometry, which is a technique to measure blood flow, and pretty significant increases in blood flow like ten to fifteenfold increases. That does sound obviously like a lot, like, oh my god, I'm increasing blood flow by ten to fifteen times in this local area of the skin. That's actually pretty similar to what happens if you were to like burn your skin or get a sunburn or any other injury. Like your body is pretty good at recognizing when injury happens and directing a lot of blood flow to that area. You know, maybe injuring an area of skin is good, like in the long run, maybe it, you know, I don't know for what, well, for what for Yeah, I got nothing, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I think to say, like this injures you, and then blood goes there to treat the injury.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, yeah, where we're super system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm not sure, Like I think we would want to see the second phase of okay and then you feel better later, which is the part that's that's missing, right, and when.
Speaker 2: We talk about that injury. The other thing I saw online about cupping is people interpreting the bruising like as if it means something, right, So like this color bruising means your blood has more toxins, and this means less toxins and and like you can enter.
Speaker 1: It's like if it's green, if the it's a green bruise, like just forget it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, or you're a vulcan Hello tomorrow Hello. So uh yeah. These are just these are bruce, Like you can do this to yourself. You probably did.
Speaker 1: You ever can like sucked on your absolutely, so you get a hickey. These are about a hickey. It's a hickey. It's like a it's like an adult. It's like a doctor hickey. Basically, it's a doctor doctor.
Speaker 2: All right, should we talk about risks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some risks.
Speaker 3: I think the first thing to say is it was when you cut into your skin you could get infected. So wet something where you cut your skin and then you pull some of the blood out, like this is always a risk for infection, and so there are cases of infection. And also just like anytime you're injured, there's anytime you cut yourself, there's a risk of infection and that is part of the reason you shouldn't do that. Yes, you could also burn yourself if there was fire. You can burn yourself with fire, and you can get infected if you cut yourself.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's sticky, let's stick with dry at best.
Speaker 1: Yep, and then there are there. You can get a hematoma, which doctor Perry is.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so hematoma is a bruise, but what this type of hematoma is a subdural hematoma, which is a bleed on the outside of your brain. There have been three case reports I found in the literature of subdural hematoma from cupping. These were people who are getting cupping on their necks. So like right at the base of the occipital bone here in the bottom of your skull and your neck for chronic neck pain. There are some very delicate blood vessels in there that go up into your brain. And you know, I guess what had happened here is that when they sucked that up, they damage those blood vessels. Again, that's what the marks are. It's broken capillaries. But in this case these would have been veins probably that broke and that bled under the skull and above the brain, which can compress the brain and is generally a bad thing.
Speaker 1: So don't want to be careful, all right. And if it's just bruises, are bruises dangerous?
Speaker 2: I mean not really, Although you can get iron deposit like permanent staining of the skin from the iron and blood if bruises are bad enough. So there's some aesthetic risk there. Some people who are very prone to scar formation, like keloid formation, can get keloids from repeated cupping, which is also you know, aesthetic, but like probably not, probably not right And certainly if you're talking about wet cupping right, scarring.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's scaring. You don't call yourself.
Speaker 3: You can get infection to go scar Okay, Perry, are you smash your pass on the cupping.
Speaker 2: I am passing on the cupping. Just get a massage, folks. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I am also a strong pass on hot cups and all the cups, all the cups, high tops, gold cups.
Speaker 1: No, forget it, No, no bruising.
Speaker 2: But it's okay to be in your cups from time to time. That's an old time drunk.
Speaker 1: I thrunk.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can cut out.
Speaker 2: From Whenry and I were in college and people were necking and giving each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we remember. Kids, remember hickeys from the nineties.
Speaker 2: They're coming back.
Speaker 1: They're coming back on your back.
Speaker 2: Let's move on to dry needling. So I'm going to show you a video. Now, there's no audio here Emily, but I wanted to. I just want you to describe what you're seeing. We'll put this on the YouTube, but like for people who are listening n audio, just talk me through what you're seeing here, all right.
Speaker 1: So there's a guy.
Speaker 3: He's laying on his face and someone is putting a needle into him. They're pushing it really far into his ah, into his like a shoulder muscle, and just moving it up and down like like a stab with a stabbing motion. It just keeps going. The caption on this thing says still going, Okay, I'm done. Okay, now they're taking it out. I'm done with this video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's dry needling.
Speaker 1: Okay, So dry needling. Yes, it's a place you put you stick the needle in.
Speaker 3: It looks actually a bit like acupuncture, quite a bit like acupuncture, but the needle goes much further in uh and is typically sort of or at least in some cases, kind of moved around. There are kinds of dry needling that involve electronic stimulation where you stick in the needles and you hook up that's what you got, that's what I got, and you hook up a system to it, and you like run some current through it and it like the muscles and that is also uncomfortable and so so yeah, it's the idea I think is that you are damaging the tissue and that that then promotes healing. This is my general understanding of this is that it is another way to try to in a targeted manner, like tell your body come over here and pay attention. Shakes this up nice because it's like we're having some problems with this, yeah, this area.
Speaker 2: That's my sense. I think that's the generous interpretation generals of what's happening here.
Speaker 1: That's what the chiropractor said. Okay, now.
Speaker 2: I want to draw a distinction between wet needling, just like what do we why dry needling? And the answer is that doctors inject substances into you all the time. Sure, and so I don't know, I think you've ever had like a cortizone injection into joints.
Speaker 1: Or oddly no, oh okay, yeah, sure it's coming.
Speaker 2: It's coming, you know, or lie to cane injections or whatever. And so you have a hollow needle and you stick it in somewhere and you inject. That's a wet inject But people, I think appropriately asked when it came to things like cortizone injections in the needither like is it the cortisone that we're injecting or is it just the fact that we're sticking a needle in there? And some of the sham controlled studies of wet injection, which just was like, well we'll stick a needle in and not do anything also effects and so either guys, either it's a placebo, that's what it is. There's something about the needle itself, and so now you have needles that are I mean some some dry needling practitioners will use hollow needles, but oftentimes it's just a solid needle, like there's not even a you're not pretending to inject anything. It's it's it's that there's.
Speaker 3: Another piece of this which you sometimes hear, which is this idea like we're going to stick it in a muscle. Not so a lot of what people like to use dry needling for is like you know, releasing trigger points. So it's like there's sort of different ways to release muscle trigger points, but this is like you stick it in. I think it's almost like people have in their mind like it's literally like a like a shoelace not and if you like got something in there, then that would like really essentially and work for shoelaces either.
Speaker 5: But but I think that if you look at the AI people are putting up, there's so much AI on Instagram of like look what happens and the needle goes in and like this like literal not of a muscle dissolves, and it's like, okay, wait, if you're showing AI, then clearly you don't.
Speaker 2: Have any actual image of this, Yes, Can I tell I went on such a deep rabbit hole okay about muscle knots, and I honestly don't know if I'm in a place where my natural social awkwardness is limiting my understanding of this, Okay, Okay. So trigger points is the medical term. It's associated with something called myofascial pain syndrome, a real syndrome of chronic muscular pain that seems to be exacerbated. They are like certain points in the muscle that are hypersensitive that are often linked to you know, what the lay people would call knots, like when you're giving someone massage and you're like, ooh, there's a knot and I'm working out the knot.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I haven't given many massages in my life, okay, or receive them. Okay, this is so far the story is going good. See social and social. I just don't like being touched in that way. Okay. But I will say when I was like a theater kid in high school and there's just lots of massages going on, people would be like, ooh, you've got such a knot here, and I was like, I don't know that. I do like there were tender parts, like obviously there are parts that hurt more hurt less. And then when I was massaging people, they'd be like, oh, that's a knot, and like, I didn't know that I ever felt it. I was like, is this is this a collective hallucination that they're actually like physical like I felt bones, you know, you can feel like there are bones underneath? Or like is there no such thing as muscle nuts? Is what I'm asking? Or do I not lack the human contact on this?
Speaker 1: I think they're okay. I don't really know what it would mean for it's not like the muscle tied in a knot.
Speaker 7: Well, I know that, like there're a lot there, Like, yeah, I feel bumps, But I think it's just I don't think you're right, because I think it is very clear that like you, if you are doing this even on yourself, like and you you, there are places where you can where I can feel.
Speaker 2: This is the closest Emily and I have ever gotten to giving each other massages right here.
Speaker 3: Where there's like a not in my life. I think this is a real thing, But I'm not sure what I think this is a real thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I went deep enough in this to look at the image science.
Speaker 3: Just you're not just basing your information on well like things that happened in my leg last week, which is what I'm facing.
Speaker 2: So I was thinking biological if you if you circle back to the creatine episode, we were talking about exercising to failure, which which is this idea that like muscles can only contract until they run out of ATP and then they just and you fall down flat in your face. So the idea that there's a not in my muscle that's like continuously contracting seems by logically implausible to me. Sure, And so then I looked at like MRI studies and ultrasound studies to see what the imaging correlates of a trigger point would be so like if if I, if I using my hands feel a trigger point, like how what do we see on ultrasound or what do we see on ultra on MRI. So there was an MRI study. These are small studies. So ten people got an MRI. A practitioner palpated the trigger points and marked them and then looked for MRI like not blinded, like knowing where the trigger points were. Looked for differences on the MRI scan between you know, the trigger point and other parts of the muscle, and they found one difference on a very specific type of MRI spin called mtrpt two, which had a value that's meaningless to me, but was thirty three milliseconds versus twenty nine for normal. So it wasn't like ooh on MRI, like this part of the muscle is bright white and this is black, Like this is pretty subtle. Ultrasound did a little better. Nine people with my fascial pain syndrome and a known trigger point. The ultrasound found local areas of reduced vibration amplitude over the trigger point, like I guess it didn't like it didn't jiggle as much as it should. I literally don't. I'm like, I'm not, I'm not. I'm just trying to like chase this dated now. Maybe it's hard, but I guess I'm wondering the premise of dry needling is that you're putting them in a specific place that matters, similar to acupuncture, Like you're looking for the trigger point and you're putting the needle there, and maybe it doesn't maybe just need to be in the muscle full stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think that that is my read of of the dry needling. I find your deep dive on this totally fascinating. I still think there are much but that's it's interesting. But I my sense of of kind of the the broader picture of the dry needling is that a lot of it is you have a muscle or something which is sore or like needs attention, and this is a way to like bring more attention to that. And the thing is, there's a million different in the sports spaces, like a million different ways that people think about doing this in an effort to like address sort of sore muscles in particular, not just points, so things like I mean, I would put foam rolling in this category, Like you know, there's a thing called muscle scrape. There's like a like a muscle scraper, and you basically just like scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape on your muscle, over the top of the skin, over the top of the scan and that. And the idea is like it it like injures it sort of injures it, but then it increases the blood flow. And I think this is the same kind of space, which is different from the idea of I'm sticking a needle in and releasing a trigger point, which feels I agree, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like maybe a little. It's it's not quite like we're we're finding energy meridians and and but it's it's it's it's close.
Speaker 3: Okay as usual, let's go to the data. Is there any actual evidence that this, uh, that this improves things?
Speaker 2: Can I give you one more biologically plausible factor aside from this increasing like telling your telling your body that there's a problem here, is that pain dampens pain. So if you like stub your toe, you might find you'll feel better if you actually like rub it, squeeze it, right, or even if you like rub or squeeze another part of your body so you can overcome the pain signals in part of your body by like engendering further pain. Isn't that just a short term Like it's pretty sure. This is like this feels like all these things are should be looking for. Like I did this and then four days later I feel better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and that's not that's not We're hitting someone on the head and then they're like, oh yeah, my need doesn't hurt that much now that you put me in the head of the hammer.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, okay, I guess my point is it's not just distraction. It literally like the signal doesn't get to your brain. Okay, let's talk about the data. We've got a lot of studies here. I mean, should we do shoulder pain because that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Let's do shoulder pain, and then we can do we can do knee pain because that's what I'm in. So we can do our different problems.
Speaker 2: All right, talk to me about Let's see. This is a study from the journal.
Speaker 3: Pain Reports, Pain Reports, not exactly High Impact factor journal, which fine is like, all right, so so you know this is a study with active and sham control groups.
Speaker 1: There's twenty people in each group. All these studies are super super small.
Speaker 3: There is a dry needling effect which is significantly different between the active and the sham and the sham group. It's kind of on the I would say, on the margin of signaligans it's not you know, it's not our most significant thing. But of course it's a very small study, so you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, we believe in sham. I feel like sham dry needling is easier than sham.
Speaker 1: Cupping because you put the needle in like less, like if you.
Speaker 2: Feel a little pinch in your skin, you could convince me that you're doing something right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's it feels easier to do this.
Speaker 3: And also if you think, I mean, there's actually pretty good sham acupuncture for example, which is where you like acupuncture in the wrong places. Now that's particularly easy because acupuncture is supposed to be about a specific vacation here.
Speaker 2: You have to do it generally a sham acupuncture. Uh. Studies show that it works as well as definitely nothing.
Speaker 3: Better than nothing, but just the same as Yeah, So yeah, I thought this was interesting. Again, the effects are fairly they're fairly small, and they're not like wildly significant, they know last like forever.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: The knee pain study is quite a bit bigger. It's big, yeah. So this is coming to you from the Clinical Journal of Pain in twenty eighteen. This is a study of two hundred and forty two participants with knee oste arthritis. Half of them got six weeks of electrical dry needling like the kind that kind of got and manual therapy which is just like you know, massage and stuff like that, an exercise, and the other group just got manual therapy and exercise. This had a pretty dramatic effect actually, so in terms of like a significant improvement based on this Global Rating of Change scale, seventy five percent in the dry needilin group had a successful outcome compared to eighteen percent in the just manual therapy and exercise group at three months. Of course, the problem here is that it's not there's no sham control here, but still a pretty big effect size.
Speaker 3: I feel that this was an interesting I mean, I think there's an interesting think here which relates to to your point about co co intervention, which is like what they're doing here is they're doing this and they're doing exercise, and they're like they're doing they're sort of layering this on top of other things, and so one interpretation of what they find, which I'm not sure in the study they actually give me enough information to figure this out. But like, if I think that the pain that the dry needling is going to make it more possible for me to exercise, Like if this is going to improve my engagement with the exercise because I think I feel better, then you like layer on top of this of the placebo effect. Also that kind of like, well the exercise is more effective because you're doing it more because you think it's going to work better, And then it's like both more exercise and more needling, right, right, kind of shows up. So I think there's a sort of it like a like an additive place and we know exercise is good.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, it's like we should probably consider this for its own episode. But what's that like kinetic tape that people KT tape? Yeah yeah, yeah, I haven't looked at the data yet, but I'm suspicious that that can do much. But you're right, if just having it makes you feel like I can work out a little harder, maybe work out a little harder, right, and that that actually does make you.
Speaker 3: So I I that was my a little bit of my read of this because the effects are very the effects are very big.
Speaker 1: I mean, knee pain is known to be very, very susceptible to placebo effects.
Speaker 3: I mean it's our very best placebo stuff is in like even knee surgery, where like you can show that that just cutting someone's knee open and telling them that they were in knee surgery is like basically as good as actual knee surgery, right right, Well.
Speaker 2: What happens after you get fake knee surgery is you get physical therapy right regardless.
Speaker 3: Which is probably very good for your Yeah, uh totally yeah. So I mean again, I think with all of these things, like it's ah, is that the placy like and does it matter? That's always always want to ask that with like would it like does it matter? Well, the thing that is, if it's not doing we can get into harms, but if it doesn't matter, if if there's no real harm, yeah we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk about harms, and there's costs. But also even in a good randomized trial, even with a sham control, what you almost never get is an active comparator control, which is should I like, given my knee pain, should I do dry needling or cupping, or physical therapy or aqua therapy. Right, so you know, it's it's actually not hard in a lot of the wellness space to find small studies that appear to be decently done that might suggest some benefit of a given intervention. We've talked about publication bias, like you're probably not seeing all the studies that you know don't show an effect and all that kind of stuff. But you know the real question for you is, Okay, I've got this problem, what's the best way to fix it? And and some of the I in the end, I often come back to biologic plausibility, like I want the thing that is the most plausible end has the best data, as opposed to just anything that has data is good enough.
Speaker 3: I also think this layers your belief about this layers on top of these placebo effects, right because in some sense, like the thing you should do if you thought there were a ton of things that were vaguely plausible, but a lot, probably a lot of it was driven by spacebo effects, you should pick the one you believe.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's the one where you're gonna get the best.
Speaker 2: If your faith is strong enough.
Speaker 3: Exactly, So it's like, if you think dry needling is the thing that works, that's the one you should pick. If you think cupping is the thing that's worked, that's what you think. If you think like, you pick the one that you think that, I mean, that's how you're getting That's how you're getting your most effectively.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that people basically should stop listening to this podcast where we're like, I don't know about this and just go with their guting's going with your gut.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's like you need to keep listening so you have support for your gut, oh guy, for your different knee pain problems.
Speaker 2: But you do have to think about risks. So let's talk about risks of kneeling.
Speaker 1: Generally, the risks are fairly small.
Speaker 3: I mean again, we sort of talked about cutting yourself and pulling blood out here, you are sticking, you are sticking needles into yourself. There's you know, there's bleeding. You know, major events are pretty rare. There are some neumothorax risks, which which are more of a problem.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you knew this, but TJ. Watt, the linebacker from the Pittsburgh follow Stealers, I.
Speaker 3: Don't really follow football other than Taylor Swift related football news.
Speaker 2: I think Taylor's okay. In December of last year, he got taken to the hospital for like a lung issue, and what it turned out was that he had a newmo thorax from dry needling. And so what a new moothorax is is a collapsed lung and it's it's actually pretty interesting. So the way the lungs work is that you know, you've got this diaphragm that sort of moves up and down, and the lungs are in the chest and there's essentially a vacuum between the outside of the lung and the inside of the chest wall. So as the diaphragm goes down, the only place air can go to fill that vacuum is into the lung. There's no path into the inside of the chest wall, okay, But if you create a path into the inside the chest wall and your diaphragm goes down, then air goes into the chest instead of in through your mouth and into the lungs, and that has the effect of just collapsing the lung as if it were like a balloon. It's like a pop pivolan po and we get quite scared about this in medicine, because we do stick a lot. You are using your lungs all the time, people need them, it turns out, and we stick a lot of needles in this area, particularly in people who are pretty sick, like we'll put in a central venus catheta, for example, in the internal jugular vein, which is you know right here for those of you listening, just like pointing to my neck, but the top of the lung, the top of the plor is pretty darn close, and we'll use ultrasound and stuff to make sure that we're not violating that space, because then you get a new mouthorax you can fix, but you have to have the lung. I have had this complication, I yep, I like on yourself. No no, no, Fortunately on someone I was trying to take care of much worse.
Speaker 1: I was dry needling myself.
Speaker 4: And I no I was.
Speaker 2: I was putting a central line in the ICU in this uh this guy very skinny, very little tissue above his lungs to give myself a little bit of a defense here. And you know, this is a known complication. We consent people. We tell them that this is something that could happen. And we always get an x ray right after we put in one of these lines to make sure there's a no normal thorax. And it's like three am in the ICU and I get the x ray and it comes up and I'm like, oh, you know, and I had to call. It's embarrassing because you have to call surgery and like, I'm a medical doctor and I'm like, hi, guys, can you fix my problem? And they come and they put in a chest tube and it's fine, but it's not great. And so what happened to TJ. Wise? He was getting dry needling in the trapeziest muscle right here in your neck and you just go too deep you hit the lung. That's and of there was a report of this of a case series of seventeen serious complications from dry needling, and fifteen of the seventeen were pneumothorax. So your lungs are closer to the surface than you think. You really do have to be careful.
Speaker 1: About this, So a little more careful if you're doing it up in your neck. Yeah, you smash your pass un dry needling Berry.
Speaker 2: I'm you know, I've never had it done. I'm a pass on this again. I don't think it's worth the potential risks. I still think getting a nice massage in a quiet dark room with some nice music playing, it's going to make you feel good. Emily, you had this done, it made you feel better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a smash. I'm a smash. I'm a smash if you believe in it, and I will say I based on my experience, I believe in it. So if I if I had a similar related injury, I would.
Speaker 1: Probably do it again. Yeah, right, all right?
Speaker 2: That is it for not in my neck. Not in my neck, maybe not your back or anywhere where.
Speaker 1: Just more legs. In my life, I would do it in my legs. I'm smashing the legs, not otherwise.
Speaker 2: That's it for cupping and dry kneeling. You're a mailback. Question of the week after.
Speaker 4: The break.
Speaker 6: Hi, Emily and Perry. This is Delilah from Detroit. Settle a bet between my partner and meat.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 6: She says that it's best to brush your teeth when you first wake up in the morning. I say it's best to wait until after breakfast. Who's right? Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: It turns out the best time to brush your teeth is before breakfast, particularly if you're going to have coffee. Hee.
Speaker 1: Most people brush your after breakfast.
Speaker 3: Actually food starts to like to the acid in your food can like affect the enamel, and so then when you brush your teeth after breakfast, you like remove more of the enamel than if you brush your teeth before breakfast. And so I actually think that the dentist recommended thing, since of course you don't also want to have food in your mouth, like when you eat breakfast and he gets in your teeth, and then that's also bad. Is you should brush your teeth like when you wake up, and then after breakfast you should like rinse your mouth with one of those like water velosster things to get the food out from between your teeth. Okay, yeah, I don't do this, but I think this is the the I am recommended thing.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely like a coffee is going to stain my teeth, and therefore I should brush my teeth after or I have coffee. But maybe I should just like rinse my mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it should ri inside your mouth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say I am my dentist like least favorite client because I don't really believe in routine extra like I think we over X ray people. I'm not afraid of the extra, but I generally think like routine dental X rays are unnecessary, and I don't have dental insurance, and so it's both a belief about routine dental X rays based on some data and also a feeling about.
Speaker 2: The economics of money, and so I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm like always on the edge of like just how they will They insist that you have routine X rays some number of years to stay in our dental practice, which I like very much, but every time I'm trying to push them off. So like I've been pushing them off and off and off, and finally last time they were like, if you don't do it next time, we're not going to see you any My god.
Speaker 2: It's like, Okay, kicked out of a practice, like like someone yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm like the anti vaxer of the essential practice, and I feel a little bad about it. And my husband's always like, I like this dentist, like, don't get us kicked out, Like don't get us kicked out by being a weirdout, Like just get the X rays.
Speaker 1: So anyway, brush you before breakfast.
Speaker 2: Kids from your teeth to God's ears.
Speaker 1: That's it for us today.
Speaker 3: Stick with us next week when we'll ask what's the deal with hypoactive sexual desired disorder?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm interested to discuss that.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 3: Wellness Actually is produced in association with iHeartMedia. Our senior producer is Tamar Avishai. Our executive producer at iHeart is Jennifer Bassett. Our theme music is by Eric Deutsch, and our content is for educational purposes only.
Speaker 2: If you like the show, help other people find us, leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or your podcatcher of choice and help us spread the word about the show. You can follow us on Instagram at Wellness Actually pod and don't forget We want to hear from you. Head over to Wellness Actually dot fm and leave us a question for our mailbag or suggest a topic for a future show.
Speaker 1: We'll let the influencers have the last word.
Speaker 2: What is this thing?
Speaker 4: So you know what puppy? Yeah? Like people do it with like fire and something. They have digital one and it's much user so vibrate up. It's got red light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what look at Oh my gosh, do you see how much that is pulling at a skin.
Speaker 1: Wait, I thought you had to go to a spot for one of these.
Speaker 4: So it feels good?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Does it feel good?
Speaker 2: Is it's finally Yeah?
Speaker 4: The nice thing is, you know, not it's like it's in one spot, so now it's actually getting that spot.
Speaker 2: Usually I roll on a ball, but how long do I.
Speaker 1: Can I take it off? I want to see Oh yeah,