Speaker 1: Stepping everybody. Welcome to Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Theytion of Texans All Access from the Hyundai Texans Radio studio, John Harris alongside the Voice of the Texans, Mark vandermir and third day straight in pads in the heat day off tomorrow. But Mark was another good day all around. Look, there were some moments where the defense just went off. There were some moments when the offense looked absolutely brilliant. I'm gonna give you my hair sits harrisits are up at Houston Texas dot Com. I don't know how many times I could say this, so I gotta think of a different way to say this.
Speaker 1: But outside of a team period, the middle team period, that.
Speaker 2: Did not look so good for the offense. For the offense, Yeah, Quarterback CJ. Stroud has been absolute nails. He has been outstanding, outstanding.
Speaker 3: That was the headline.
Speaker 1: That was headline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that was the headline. Today was my favorite day because today, in a two minute situation, Stroud was as good as you'd want him to be. So they got ambrouble and then he finds Higgins on a third and fourteen quick throw so nobody could get to him. Quick throw over the middle and Higgins was open because Higgins is a freaking beast. Johnny, if you just showed up, dropped from outer space into Texans training camp today and you said, what do you think of these guys, you'd say, and you didn't know anybody, you'd say that eighty one is a freaking beast. He's awesome. That is a monster out there. He's getting open, he's mossing people, he's making plays. All right, Mosling might be a little too dramatic, but the point is this. I've said it before. He's gonna have a big year. Today did nothing to sway me from that opinion. It's been reinforced. I can't wait to see more. He is an absolutely crucial part of this thing because you have Nico obviously, and you have Higgins. There are both huge targets. They're a big problem for even this defense. So if the protection holds up, even for this defense, these guys are an issue for that back end to deal with.
Speaker 2: There were moments, so Nico did not practice today, Tank did have the pads on, did go through some individual stuff, so took part in that. So it was great to see. We got excited when saw him in the pads. Didn't know how much he was gonna do, But it was just good to see him do something out of the field with the full receiver allotment.
Speaker 1: But it was not the full receiver allotments, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Jaalen Knowles stillump up, tank is still limited coming back and Nico was out when Jayden Higgins needed a rest, and they were an eleven personnel in those in the situations you talked about the two minute situations, there was a receiving crew of Justin Watson, Jared Wayne and at times Josh Kelly. Those are the three receivers you have in a field. It didn't matter shroud through dimes. I mean, he'd have pressure in his face, he'd stand and deliver. He threw a fastball at one point.
Speaker 1: I gotta look at my.
Speaker 2: Notes because he threw a fastball at one point on a throw that I didn't think there was any way that he was getting that ball to anybody because he kind of was he was kind of flat footed.
Speaker 1: He really didn't have time or.
Speaker 2: Space to step into the throat, so he literally was just you know, it's like taking a baseball swing with just you know, your feet locked in place, right, and he zipped one across the middle, and I thought, oh my god, that it was to Watson. It was ripped. Was it Watson or maybe maybe in Higgins. Eighty four looks like eighty one, so I think it was eighty one. And Higgins was kind of working his way in the middle of the field, and CJ amongst all the trees and everybody rushing him, just flat foot ripped fastball right.
Speaker 1: Between eight and one.
Speaker 2: I just I'm standing on the side of the field where the defense was, so I felt kind of bad, but I'm down away from the defense, and I just in my back of my mind, I'm like, crap, And I said out loud, great ball.
Speaker 1: Seven, because it was. It was just a tremendous throw. But he did that all throughout the day.
Speaker 2: All throughout the day, he was hitting those throws, touch throws perfect.
Speaker 1: The ripped fastball was perfect. He'd have to get rid of the ball was perfect.
Speaker 2: He was as good as he was as good at a two minute drill as I can remember.
Speaker 1: Because the throws.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of throws like that one where I think in previous years the pressure was just too much. He just kind of pull it down and kind of jogged through as if the player was over today.
Speaker 1: It was not like that. He ripped them to the sidelines.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe his best throw was one actually that Kaylen Bullock had to make a play on.
Speaker 1: They ran Josh Kelly down a seam. He was in a slot, ran down a seam.
Speaker 2: CJ. He didn't quite throw a three ball, you know, one balls laser to two is kind of in the middle three as kind of you lofted. He was kind of between the two and three and just laid it right on Josh Kelly.
Speaker 3: And it was a complete That was because of Bullock and a completion.
Speaker 2: That probably happens if Hawk is not back there. But you know that wing span and that speed, he was able to get back there and disrupt Kelly and he couldn't hang out in the pass.
Speaker 3: Kelly had a nice practice otherwise.
Speaker 1: But Kelly had a great the one handed catch, that one hand catcher. Sweet, he's got talent.
Speaker 2: That's what happens. We talk about this all the time. You know you've got a good squad when take a position. I don't care in this case receivers Jala no out Tank not practicing full yet, Nico not practicing at all. So everybody moves up a slot. Everybody moves up a spot, and you got to take some reps the ones if you've been taking him with the two's, and Josh Kelly took some of those and he made a brilliant one handed catch today. Lewis Bond not even a chance to watch one on ones, but I saw a couple of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw it. Oh my, I saw it.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 1: That dude could play. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it was a great throat, it was a.
Speaker 2: Great throw and it was a I mean it was top right in a bucket. Lewis catches it, gets both feet down. You come out to practice and you see eighty two and eighty five and we've been talking about those receivers, and it's going to be really tough for either one of those guys to end up making the fifty three man roster because it's so loaded at wide receiver, especially once Tank is back full and Jalen Nole's back.
Speaker 1: It's tough for anybody to make that.
Speaker 2: But eighty two and eighty five are making a serious bid for it. Lewis Bond and Josh Kelly, I mean, catching everything.
Speaker 3: It's so disappointing that Nol has the finger issue because you want to see NOL out here in these situations. You know, this is great competition. Today they went long. They started early. Yeah, not getting out there earlier, but they got out of the bubble earlier.
Speaker 1: Feel for a long time.
Speaker 3: Well, I just know this. They're never in team before the show's over, right, right, right right, And they were in team today before the show was over. I'm thinking I missing the team right now. Team is eleven on eleven and I need to see that. That's what I love to see most. I mean, you like watching the intricacies and special teams practice, and that's your problem, Yeah, but I want to see team. And I love the individual as well. I mean the one on ones. They did not do one on ones prior to yesterday. That was the first time they didn't put on ones this camp, correct, And I do like the one on ones. It's such an unfair advantage for the receiver and the quarter because it's one on one. I'm not throwing it anywhere else. I'm throwing it to you and they have to blow the whistle or do something. Hey, that would have been a sack. You ran out of time because the longer you wait, you have four seconds you're gonna get the guy open, but how long can the dB hold in coverage? The throat to bond was as good as it gets. Look it wasn't all perfect. You mentioned one of the team periods defense blowing up everything. This defense is going to do that, and this is true. Iron sharpens iron. Today two minute situation, Stroud looked like a master. I mean he was the maestro that he's capable of being. And that's what you want to see. A couple of throws to X today, especially one in the two minute situation, was terrific. We've been saying on target, on target, running some kind of out and the ball is only where he can get it. He gets it. I saw Ex in the hallway earlier, dapped them up, said you were fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: X is making the most of this sure availability of reps in the receiving corps with you said Tank out and EGO sitting out today and no NOL. But I want to see Noel out there. Look, we all want to see Tank. I get it, I get it, I get it. But NOL is a very key building block here in this receiver group. However, they do have a lot of bodies and to your point. They're getting the reps and in these preseason games, these are the guys who are gonna play. These guys are gonna play a ton. We're gonna watch them. You're gonna be in the booths for TV. I'll be with Andre on the radio and we'll be talking about these guys. But I gotta see. No, we got to get them back, and I'm hoping it's within a week or two, so you can get him some good practice before week one because he has to make that year one to year two jump. He was really good last year returning catching want to see more, let's get it.
Speaker 1: So in the thirteen period, this is the one that stood out.
Speaker 2: And then I want to get to something else that I saw that gave me gona be really excited. First play on the two minute situation down twenty one to twenty I think it was two minutes. They put on a clock. They at one time it was like yeah, something like that. So first play CJ. Hits Haig on the out route, come back, beautiful throw completion. Second one, next play fifty one room that play, yeah, I mean he's he's gonna do that.
Speaker 3: But there was a penalty in there too.
Speaker 2: Right, there might have been, but that that was definitely a sack. So third play, that's the seam shot that he threw that Stroud through to Josh Kelly. That block made a great play on, but it's a great throw. So now it's third down. That's the one he rips the fastball to Higgins across the middle.
Speaker 1: Then he hits Hutch yep on that throw.
Speaker 3: What was the next one after that then, because I think they spiked it.
Speaker 1: They spiked it to stop the clock because they got the first down.
Speaker 2: Then on the sideline with seventeen seconds left, he throws that back.
Speaker 1: Shoulder ball to Foster Morow.
Speaker 3: That's the one that was a beautiful because that made it a chip shot as opposed to a long field.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: The one to Hutch put him in range for fair bench, that's right. I can't remember these act yardage, but it was still like we could use a little more.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get to Emmy in a second, okay, So it's the backshop of ball to Foste.
Speaker 1: I put them in position.
Speaker 2: Now they had thirteen seconds left there or no ten seconds left, and they had a timeout so they could take a show. So they ran Montgomery into the middle line just to burn clock. Called the timeout or spiked it, can't remember. Then Kyami hit the field goal from forty and I wrote this best I've seen. Number seven did it without all his wide receivers, Tank Nico Nol and then I put Higgins. Higgins had to catches up front, but the last few downs he didn't have Higg in there. Higg was was out those last two three plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why was that?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it was just rotation stuff. I just think they were rotating guys in. I think that was im c G. I'm thinking eighty one, eighty one. I got eighty one already. Can we order from the eighty one menu? There's no twelve. I need eighty one. I need six to four out there. Here's the other note that I put in here, And it was right before the spike because I was on the I was on the other side from the fans, that is the left offensive side. That really was the first I should say it's the first time because he's done it before, but for consecutive plays, Arianta Ursery is slowing down will Anderson junior one on one. It's the first time I've seen it like consecutive plays like that, seeing them a lot, and I'm telling you, Ursery was on it and it just goes to show. And we've talked about this. There's you know, it's like basketball players. You're getting rhythm. You know, your offense gets in a rhythm. It feels like everything works.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: You know, backdoor cuts are perfect, you know the threes are going down. You know, pull up elbow jumpers are happening. That's the way it felt. It felt like the offense was in sync. Now, that was after a period that they got stuffed in period two, so they came back and got it right in in period three.
Speaker 1: On the team periods at that point.
Speaker 2: But one of the problems in not only the first group, but the second group was number ninety. There were uh, let me see it was in the was the second group right, ninety was in for like four straight plays and oh yeah, here we go. No, it was right after that two minute drill. Okay, so Davis comes on the field. He hits, He hits Marlin clown on the flat, then Clowny with ghosts move to dip under seventy seven forces incompletion forty great rush. He ended up hitting as he rushed. He ended up hitting Donnie Robinson right as they were both converging on Mills, but at forced Mills to throw the ball away ninety again, third straight time. He got to the quarterback. Finally Clowney went out and then he had time to throw, but then nobody was open because the secondary was there. Clowney had three straight plays where he threw three different moves. Mark one was was he did a sweite move, got on the hands a trent. The other one was a ghast move where you you dip, you dip to basically ghost yourself on Miller. On Miller made that possible. The guy sixty six and he's doing a ghost move, and then one he just kind of powered through. Clowney was an absolute Mennace today. You know, it's interesting because he looked like twenty four, like fourteen before with the injury.
Speaker 3: It looks like there's zero drop off from he was a young man. None in these instances. Now you know you have to play him sixty snaps. That might be different, but you're not gonna have to do that. So I'm looking at Will and Daneil and they're specimens. There's something about Clowney though, because of the height and the hair too, probably child, but the height where he's just massive out there. He's a massive human being, so long, so fast, and to have him on this football team. Look, it's been really good here. I love Derek Barnett. I'm not taking anything away from him. I will forever be grateful for dead Shot. Who knows, maybe he ends up here. He might end up here too, Mike Mario bat over the weekend. So I love dead Shot Derek Barnett, but we got to Dewon Clowney and we have willing Jadevion Clowney. First day, Oh yeah, I'm in pads.
Speaker 1: I'm out there.
Speaker 3: Second day, I'm in pads that I'm making plays. And now the vander kidd Won was here today and I was watching the remainder of practice with him and he said he's like his dad bubble Wrap. He said, Dad bubble Wrap. Everybody, let's just get to the season because you have something so special here with all this talent. And yeah, you still have to go through all the preseason games and iron sharpens, iron training camp practices and everything. Dang, yeah, I'm telling you. Coach Vandermer says, we're ready in two weeks for the regular season.
Speaker 2: Let's go the thing about adding Clowning and adding a guy like Logan Hall in free agency. Those guys can play any of the defensive line positions, so you automatically with those two just present, you have an opportunity to play whoever you want together. Because Logan can play inside, Clowny can hold his own against.
Speaker 1: The guard we see today.
Speaker 2: Johnny, you can move everybody everywhere all the time. And then, by the way, if you want to bring heat off the edge, Jalen Petree is one of the better blitzers there is in the NFL. Like it's Matt Burke is probably up in his office right now going okay, I can only play eleven guys at once. It's unbelievable to watch the different combinations that can that can roll into the game and do the things that that they can do. I mean, it's it's absolutely fascinating. And final note this just in Kymie fairbearn Badass.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Badass knocked everything down today.
Speaker 2: He hit two from sixty plus. Yeah, it was and absolutely money. The first one he hit it would have been good from seventy.
Speaker 1: I think I was.
Speaker 3: Looking at it. He one of the bombed it because I was in the north end zone and so it's hard to tell where it was. But I just looked at the logo in midfield. I'm thinking, dang bombed. This is far and he just smokes it. So he's ready for the regular seat and he's mid season form. A lot of guys are, A lot of guys are. Look, the offense still needs to work on it. We all know that, no doubt. Montgomery had a run today where the hole was you could have driven a truck through it. That was beautiful as well. Look, they are getting some good gains on offense. The two minute situation good, a lot of positives. Not everything perfect. This is pretty much the best you could ask for at this point. You know, not everybody's perfectly healthy, but so far, so good. Knock wood, knock on, whatever you want to knock on.
Speaker 2: Make sure you check out houst Texans dot com. Harris hits from day seven at practice are up all right.
Speaker 1: Albert Breer joined us.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: I was only there for a little bit because one on ones are going on. I had to go see him, but we had a great time talking to Albert. He's next right here in Texas All Access. All right, welcome back this Wednesday issue a Texans All Access from the Texans Radio studio. I'm your host, Sean Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans.
Speaker 1: Those Texans will have.
Speaker 2: An off day tomorrow and everybody needs it now, Mark and I will still be working. We got Texas training camp live from eight to ten. But Harris hits get a day off. The team gets a day off. Coaches will come in and do some work, I'm sure, but the team will have the day off on Thursday, get back to it Friday, and then have an evening practice on Saturday before in their day off on Sunday, which I am looking forward two.
Speaker 1: For a number of different reasons.
Speaker 2: We are moving ever so closely to the first preseason game of the year against the Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Chargers eight days eight.
Speaker 2: That's amazing to say that we're eight days away from the first preseason game of the year.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: Albert Breer does a lot in the media space MMQB Sports Illustrated. He's been around, he's been doing this for a while. He joined us this morning.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I took off at some point because I had to go watch one on ones. We had a good talk with Albert Breer and started right here when I asked him about his travels looking at teams throughout the league. When you get a chance to get out and see other teams other than obviously the Patriots, what's it like for you? What do you kind of go into it with, like, Hey, I've got these three storylines that I want to follow.
Speaker 6: How do you go into I mean, like, I think, you know, my job is to cover all thirty two And I tell people it's like what yould like, what's the gist of your job? The way like I deliver the content is different in different places, obviously, but I think the gist of it is to.
Speaker 4: Know what's going on, you know.
Speaker 6: And I know that sounds simple, but it's being able to anticipate things. And that can only be done if you have relationships. And so you know, for me, like these stops, every one of these stops is more about seeing people than it is about producing any sort of piece of content now.
Speaker 4: If I can.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, and like obviously we all have jobs to do, and we all you know, it's not just my job to go and glad hand and all of that but so I have to, you know, I have to give them some content. But the main thing for me is just, you know, maintaining my network. And you know, for years it was building the network. It's still I still try to as many new relationships as I can, but you know, when you get twenty years into doing this, a big part of it's maintaining them as well, because you've built a lot of them. So, yeah, this is Camp number ten for me. You guys are right at the turn. I have eighteen in eighteen days, and then I'll go home for that first full weekend of preseason games and then back out again and I usually.
Speaker 4: Try to get to about three quarters of the league.
Speaker 3: What's the best team you've seen so far?
Speaker 4: Albert Seattle?
Speaker 6: You know, I just think when you watch them practice, and I don't know, I haven't seen the first episode of Hard Knocks yet, so but like you just you see why they're as good as they are. You see that fourteen wins was not a fluke. You see that winning the Super Bowl was not a fluke. They beat the Rams at the end of the regular season to clinch home field advantage, and they beat the Rams again in the NFC Championship game in a game where I think Matthew Stafford may have played the best quarterback game by anybody all year. So I think what sticks out to me just seeing Seattle in person, And it hit me when I was I was up close with their defensive ends and Aden Derdet, who's their defensive coordinator, was running a drill on the sled and they lost a defensive end, boy Mafey to Cincinnati, who got twenty million dollars per year.
Speaker 4: And yet there's.
Speaker 6: DeMarcus Lawrence and chenna Uosu, Derek Hall who was one of the heroes of the Super Bowl, Dante Fallon, Like they're four deep at a position where they lost a twenty million dollar player. Right, It's just they have it rolling, and it's just a really well put together team.
Speaker 4: I mean the organize.
Speaker 6: I think John Schneider is, if not the best general manager of the last quarter century. He's like high, high high on that list. And you can see it, you know, you can see it. It was no Fluke, you know, I know a lot of people thought they came out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: That was no Fluke. They're gonna be really good again.
Speaker 2: No, we saw them on Monday night last year and we got on a bus after that game and I told Mark that same thing. I was like, this is the best team and they didn't play well against us. I mean, Saam turned it over the h and we stayed in it because of that. But it was not that was the one team all year we had no we had no shot against. One person who didn't mention is Mike McDonald's now in third years a coach. I saw one of the snippets from Hard Knocks. I was like, okay, I could I could see. But from his standpoint, he's only been there three years, but got that defense, got him right where it needed to be.
Speaker 1: Where he talks about Mike McDonald's, I mean he's.
Speaker 6: Brought elite in a lot of like different ways, like an elite teacher, an elite coach, an elite game planner, and just so comfortable in his own skin. I think that's something that will come across when people watch the show. You know, it's just I mean, you guys know, you guys are around these guys enough. Like the one thing that it's weird. I've said before, I feel like the one thing, like most football players have in common, they all come from different backgrounds. Some of them are smarter than others, some of our better athletes than others. They all have like an incredible BS meter. I don't know why, but they all can see through BS right, and they can see when somebody's not trying to when somebody's trying to be something other than themselves.
Speaker 4: And you know, like so to me.
Speaker 6: Like that's the baseline of being a head coach, and are you comfortable in your own skin? Can you project in a way that's authentically yourself? And Mike's just really really good at it, you know, and you know, obviously coming up under the Harbas there are some tenants of the Harbaugh program there the two and a half hour practices they do, like you know, and there's different philosophies of this, but they do a lot of their corrections on the field, right, like, which is why they have longer practices. But there's also like loud music in the meeting room and there's like so there's like stuff that like is authentically him.
Speaker 4: Wow, And so he just has like I think.
Speaker 6: A really good feel for what it takes to be a really great head coach.
Speaker 3: Albert Breer with us Okay, two things about the Texans, your thirty forty thousand foot view on the team and this defense and the defense plus Clowny.
Speaker 6: So I think my thirty thousand foot view on the team is you know, I I've.
Speaker 4: Brought this up to a few people.
Speaker 6: I still have this stuck in my head for last year watching the Monday night playoff game on ESPN and Aaron Rodgers checking the ball down to Jalen Warren and you know, I got the big screen up in my up on the wall in my house, and Jalen Warren was all alone on the screen and like you could have like snapped your fingers and there were three Navy helmets like on him, and it was just you saw like how Demiko had like just not even like with great athletes they are, but how hard they play, and so like I think you see that across the board. And I think a big part of cleaning out the offensive line room two years ago was they felt like they had a culture problem in that room and they wanted to match the culture that they had on defense on offense, and so they bring in Keelan Rutledge, they bring in Wyatt Teller, and I think the idea is we want to have the same identity on offense that we have on defense. And I from what I understand, it's starting to show up like that, the offenses starting to play the defense to a stack and they're not backing down to them.
Speaker 1: And so if you.
Speaker 6: Can just have the twelfth best offense, the thirteenth best offense, I think you're cooking them with gas. And then I mean defensively, it's just I don't know what superlative has not been used on these guys over the last year, But I really, I really believe like they they've got a chance. And you don't see as many of them this year that you know in this day and age. But you know what the twenty fifteen Broncos were, what the two thousand and two Buccaneers were, what the two thousand Ravens were, you know, some of those great Steeler defenses, you know, the best defenses of the new millennium.
Speaker 4: You know, I think they very much have.
Speaker 6: A chance to to to to throw their hat in the ring and be named alongside those groups. If if they can find a way to be good enough on the on the offensive side of.
Speaker 4: The ball to get to a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: It has just been my opinion watching I think we saw all the great defenses last year we started facing the Rams, we played the Broncos, we played the Seahawks.
Speaker 1: Obviously we get to see our defense.
Speaker 2: It feels as if there's a sort of defensive renaissance in this league that teams are looking at it. Twenty fifteen Broncos, two thousand Ravens. Hey, look, we can win with a great defense offense, just do enough. And I think Seattle kind of felling out of their offense was a little bit better than the offensive player of the year in Jason.
Speaker 1: It was very good.
Speaker 2: But it feels like there might be this defensive renaissance happening in the league that the Rams don't get Miles Garrett to put him with maybe Aaron Donald and whoever else I got up front this defense, the Eagles defense, that there are more great defenses in the league now than there have been in a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's well, I mean, like one thing you do here that's interesting, as it's getting harder to play quarterback right right, and it's like part of it is the way that defenses are putting athletes out there and changing the picture constantly, and so I think, you know, one thing that Mike McDonald I think is doing was really interesting, and I think he's opening the door because if you look at it, like over the last ten to fifteen years, obviously we've had a lot of like the young offensive assistants get jobs and succeed, right, So who's that, Well, it's Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan obviously, but even like Matt LeFleur going to a couple of NFC title games, Mike McDaniel gets the Dolphins back to the playoffs. There are tons of examples of that. And then there are defensive coaches who had success too, but a lot of those guys are ex players. The guy here right is a good example of it. You have Mike Rabel who's now won in both Tennessee and New England.
Speaker 7: And so I think, you know, there is a real.
Speaker 6: There's a class of young defensive coaches that are really smart guys that I think are sort of becoming the counterpoint and opening the door for what you're talking about. So Jesse Mintor is a really good example of it. Obviously, he has success at Michigan, was bonkers the last two years with the Chargers, and now we'll see what he does with the Evens. Matt Burke is a guy here who I think is like kind of in that group, you know, But there are like that again, there's like this this I think what you're talking about there is defenses are starting to challenge offenses in new new ways.
Speaker 7: It's making it harder for quarterbacks to operate.
Speaker 4: Seattle was a great example.
Speaker 7: Like to me, the difference between Stafford and.
Speaker 6: Drake May last year was right there for us in the NFC championship game in the Super Bowl, and what I the way I had somebody explain to me, was Seattle.
Speaker 4: Forces you to play quarterback, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was Stafford kind of game like that.
Speaker 6: You still lose and Seattle and Stafford played great in that game, and you saw that's a guy who's been in the league for seventeen years. And then the next week, two or two weeks later, they played Drake May, who had a phenomenal season, was like worthy of being second in MVP voting, but they put him in a blender, you know. And so I think, like, you know, like the the like Winke Martindale, the Wink Martindale, you know, Tree and those guys and that's Jesse mentor Mike McDonald, all these guys that have come through that, and then some of the guys who come up n Neer, Vic Fangio.
Speaker 7: You're starting to see some real creativity.
Speaker 3: In that side of the All all right, a couple more for you, albert Is. Johnny's gonna go watch one on one because them Okay, so afc South, Jags, Titans, Colts. Have you been to any of the camps yet? Will you know?
Speaker 6: I have?
Speaker 7: I haven't been, so I will go to the Colt.
Speaker 6: I'll be the Colts Saber Day.
Speaker 7: And it's Saturday. I think I'm at the Colt. I can't.
Speaker 4: I think that's it. Yes, Saturday, I'll bet the Colt.
Speaker 3: But what do you think of the division?
Speaker 7: And then Jackson Jackson tits hopefully later.
Speaker 6: I mean it's better, you know, Like I think Liam Cohen obviously did a great job last year in Jacksonville and like man if like Trevor.
Speaker 7: Lawrence can fulfill the potential there.
Speaker 6: But it seems like the Jags have built a foundation for something that could be lasting. I think Shane steich In is one of the most underrated coaches in football, and where they were offensively last year. I mean, they were on a record breaking pace before you know, the injuries hit. Daniel Jones gets hurt. But when they they during that seven and one start, they were off the charts. So it'll be interesting to see if they can come back from that, you know. And then and then obviously, I think the Titans are kind of in this all right, like one step at a time. Can they get to eight nine wins? Can they play meaningful football in December? I think that's where they're at all right. Last one, sports media. You and I have talked about this kind of thing before.
Speaker 3: Over the years, but where we're at right now, what do you make of the state of the Union of sports media? Because it's more bizarre than ever even here. We got used to Chronicle as a reporter, ESPN's a reporter, get a lot of YouTubers. It's kind of a strange mix. It's a strange environment we live in right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I didn't get a lot of things right when I was twenty two. But I remember one thing I can still remember. The one thing I think I did get right was when I was coming to out school. I remember when people would ask me, like what do you want your job to be in twenty years? I said, I don't know, because it doesn't exist yet. And I really felt like at that time, like the economics the business didn't work, and.
Speaker 4: So for me it was like, how do I teach myself how to do everything?
Speaker 6: Because if the economics of the business don't work, then you're gonna want to have one You don't have to have one person who can do multiple things, right, I think like where we're at now is just kind of it's fragmented more than it's ever been, And I think it's more on us to kind of meet the audience where they're at than ever before.
Speaker 4: Because I pay attention. I pay attention to my.
Speaker 6: Eleven year old, my nine year old, my six year old, how they consume content and not necessarily what they're consuming because their interests.
Speaker 4: Are what kids that age interests are.
Speaker 6: But like, how are you, like, how are you consuming content? Because in you know, ten to fifteen years, that's gonna be the primary audience. So I think that's the tricky thing, is like finding the audience. But if you're not trying to figure out where the audience is, you're dead, right, So, like I think it's like a lot of the fundamentals of the job remained in the same. I think you're having relationships, being able to get information, being able to have an opinion that isn't just that can't be can't that that that that that somebody just flicking on a switch on their computer can do the same thing you can do. It's being able to differentiate yourself that way. Then it's also okay, like, what's the best way for me to deliver this content in a way where I'm going to be able to reach as many people as.
Speaker 4: I possibly can.
Speaker 6: And again, it's just it's a way bigger challenge than it was when I first got into this and you could count on people picking up the newspaper or turning on the TV or turning on the radio.
Speaker 4: It's just way different than it used to be.
Speaker 3: Albert thanks a lot of that time.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it absolutely, Lincoln Sudbury's finest.
Speaker 1: Right there, Albert Breer, Are we get back?
Speaker 2: Jayane Higgins joined my good friends John Lopez, reggiad Tula on in the loop.
Speaker 1: Well that for you.
Speaker 2: Next right here in Texas All Access we go on final second this Wednesday edition at Texans All Access from a Texans radio studio. I'm your host, John Harris Football analst sidelin reporter for your Houston Texans, and we've been having a great time at Texas Training Camp. Texas train Camp Live in the morning from eight to ten, which you hear after Sean and Seth taken from six to eight and then John Lopez and Reggie had Tulla have in the loop. In every single practice, they get a player after the practice, right off the practice field, and today it was, Hey, it was Jaden Higgins who had another stellar day. And if you're out there playing fantasy and you're thinking about, man, you know who can I get off the radar if you will? Hey, Jaye Higgins is perfect. He's gonna produce, he's gonna have I mean, whatever league you've got, he is gonna put up numbers for this team this year.
Speaker 1: And he sat down with John and Reed today, Pig, how you doing, brother?
Speaker 8: Done good?
Speaker 1: All right, very good?
Speaker 9: And it's cool if I call you higg like that's that's what people are calling.
Speaker 8: You, right, Yeah, that's cool, that's cool. That's a that's one of the nicknames they got for me out here.
Speaker 1: What are some of the other ones that you got.
Speaker 8: I mean they just call me jay or I mean pretty much hig or a Jayden.
Speaker 1: Nothing too crazy? All right?
Speaker 3: Fair enough?
Speaker 9: Do you do you like having a craziness? Like is that something that you deep down inside would like to have?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 8: I mean, Kamari be calling me chill because my my instagram is chilled.
Speaker 1: I j five so and you you are a chill dude.
Speaker 9: It's one of the things I've thought about, Like, you are pretty humble in the way that you go about things, and it made me wonder, is there anything in your life that you're braggadocious about?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 8: Man, I don't know. I would probably say fishing. I love to fish, and I think I'm better than a lot of the guys on our team. I joke with Will all the time. I tell him I'm the best fisherman and he gets super upset. But yeah, I'd say that.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we're we we gotta go here. Then I was gonna I was telling myself, I mean, I fish every week, yep, I have a fishing podcas Yes, I have a fishing show on this same station in the mornings. And I kept telling myself, I'm not gonna ask him about fishing till later. I'm not going to ask about fish until later. But we're here, we're here. You are the second best fisherman at this table, But I will I.
Speaker 1: Will grant you, and he's not talking about me.
Speaker 5: I will grant you. How big is that competition, because when you're on the boat, when you're fishing, it's competition for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I mean, you know, at the end of the day, as long as you go out there and you know catch fish is always a great day. But it's definitely a huge competition, you know, competing with those guys, and you know, coming back here and telling everybody that I'm a better fisherman is a big deal to me.
Speaker 5: Artificials or live and dead bait.
Speaker 8: It depends. When I'm bass fishing, I like to use artificial When I'm fishing in saltwater, definitely live.
Speaker 5: I promise we're gonna get the football, all our listeners, I promise I'm gonna get the football. You've got to get deeper into saltwater fishing. Now you're here, have you, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: I'm from Miami, so so I always go out there in the salt water. But yeah, I've been to Galveston, a couple of times.
Speaker 5: You've been bayfishing or Jetty's or offshore.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, offshore mostly, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yep, Okay, we'll get to football then I'll come back.
Speaker 9: No, I think that's the football thing that I want to get to. Because you're talking about fishing and it you clearly have the details down. Where do you feel like you are with the details and the finer points of the wide receiver position? Because it's clear you got the raw abilities, big tall, good builds, you're fast as hell, Like, how do you feel like you're finding the details of the wide receiver position at this point?
Speaker 7: For sure?
Speaker 8: I mean, I think it all comes down to just the work that I'm putting in, you know, the work I put in each and every day with the coaching staff, with CJ, with all the guys. You know, just just making sure that I'm polished out there and I can make any play when the time comes.
Speaker 5: So a lot of times at every camp, you know, people talk about, well, this player's got a lot of there's a lot of buzz around this player. This player is really showing up, flashing whatever you want to call it. You are that guy in this camp. Do you feel it? Do you feel like your game is stepping up.
Speaker 8: Uh, I mean, I want to say so. I say, for me, it's just routine pretty much. You know, I got there. That's my job to go out there and make plays when he throws me the ball, you know, make sure I'm on the right alignment, assignment, you know, just make sure I'm doing the right thing out there. So I feel like me personally, that's what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 5: How much of it is just pure development one.
Speaker 7: Year to the next, for sure, a lot of it.
Speaker 8: You know, just definitely being way more comfortable out there and ready to go out there and rock out.
Speaker 9: What's the difference between I guess off season one feels like it's not even off season.
Speaker 1: You get drafted, it's all the whirlwind.
Speaker 9: What's the difference between off season one and then off season two that you're just coming off of.
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, I think it's a huge difference. You know, being able to you know, get right into training instead of you know, having the train for the combine. You know, definitely allowed me to work on my athleticism, allow me to get bigger, stronger, faster, and then you know, just take more time with the offense. Of course, learn the ins and out of it, and you know, really just be in the building.
Speaker 5: How much a responsibility this is? This is a tough question, and I understand that going in, but you see what what the discussion is around CJ strout how much to do this? Does the receiver room say, hey man, that's us, that's all up. Do you feel that responsibility to do for him?
Speaker 8: For sure? Of course, Yeah, there's a bunch of things that we got to do to go out there and make sure that he's completing those passes and making those big plays, and that's what we're always gonna do. You know, we have a lot of responsibility as far as you know, certain routes and stuff we gotta run. So you know, everyone you know might always just want to point the finger on him, but it's definitely us a lot of times.
Speaker 9: I mean, how often is the case though, because I know that it sounds it might sound like you're just kind of talking generically about hey man, we have our responsibilities. But we were talking with Nico earlier with last week and he was mentioning, how, yeah, man, there's a lot of things that you have to go through in this system, and I imagine that only goes up more with you talking about maybe moving around in the formation.
Speaker 8: How much is that that's on your play For sure, it's a lot, But you know, you just got to get in that playbook. You got to make sure you're, you know, here every day and just ready to work. If the coaches can't trust you, if CJ can't trust you, then you know you're not going to be able to be out there.
Speaker 9: How much how much you talk about being in the playbook, Like, how often is it is it when you sit down to eat, you're not putting on nothing on YouTube?
Speaker 1: You're in the playbook? Like, what is it?
Speaker 8: Nothing crazy like that, Nothing crazy like that. I think, just just putting in some extra time, you know, each day, maybe an hour or something like that. None too crazy, as long as you stay up on it, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the coaches have put a big emphasis on the run game this year. We're going to run the ball, We're gonna throw the ball to the backside of the backfield. Obviously that means you got block. Yeah, that means you got to make the most of your opportunities and maybe short passing game. How much of a difference is this offense? As much as it was the same offense. How much. How many new wrinkles are there with that in mind.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think, uh, you know, a lot of new wrinkles, but a lot of the same stuff. Also, you know, at the end of the day, we want to go out there and you know, run the ball down the defensive throat. You know, we got to pound the rock. We got to make sure that you know, we're blocking as a receiver unit. You know, that's the big thing. And then when you can do that, then all the passing game opens up to play action things like that. But you know, our O line has been looking really good this year. Real stout running backs look amazing in the backfield, and yeah, big players are just waiting out there.
Speaker 9: Who do you talk to when you want to when you want and need advice for playing the position? Because I mean it's it's a lot of young guys in that room. But also you got some interesting vets. I wonder like, who do you talk to where there are people outside of the building that you reach out to?
Speaker 8: Who are sure I think you know in the building, I just say I lean on the guys in the room. Definitely, Nico, you know, a vet in that room explosive player. I always talked to Hutch. I feel like he has a lot of good information. My guy Jalen of course, Uh Tank, you know, Tank's always you know, telling me little intricacies and you know, kind of just defining certain things. And then you know, outside of the building, I got a you know, a couple of receiver coaches that I lean onto, my metor coach Gant. So uh yeah, so I got a lot of guys.
Speaker 5: Another thing that we're seeing again this is us just our observations. We're not in the room. Uh it is a lot of the receivers are moving around, you know, outside inside. You know, one side the other is that I know you did it some last year, But is that something you're trying to hone in on that skill?
Speaker 8: For sure? I think, uh, you know, it just comes down to the coaches trusting me and trusting the other receivers to to go out there and know what you're doing and be able to make that play when it comes.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna be honest though, you're fast, man, Demiko Ryan sounded like he was he was on cloud nine talking about how fast you are?
Speaker 1: Where do you rank in the in the building, Like who who who the fastest?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you up there on the podium? What are we doing here?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 8: No, nah, I ran track but I mostly jumped senior year.
Speaker 4: You do look like yeah.
Speaker 8: But the fastest I'll probably say Jalen know honestly a guy in the receiver room. And then we got we got uh, of course Stingley super fast, guy Nico super fast. I definitely say, you know that receiver receiver room is definitely tough to be but I probably say I'm top top five, ty ten.
Speaker 1: He's being real diplomatic about it.
Speaker 9: It really is because I look, I'll say it so you don't have to You left sting earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to acknowledge it.
Speaker 5: You left him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, So fishing, you've been in Gabbleston. You said, ye, have you been able to go down south at all, like some of the clear water because technics, that's the thing you heard Charles Barkley talking about the water and gables. It's because it's deeper, it's got a lot of and all that stuff. Down south we got clear flats, beautiful water, top water, baits, yeah, soft plastics. Have you been able to go down there?
Speaker 8: I haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 8: I need some recommendations.
Speaker 5: I can help you with that for sure. What about uh buying a boat?
Speaker 8: Buying a boat? No yet, I like to go on other people's boat.
Speaker 5: I worry about it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't like to worry.
Speaker 5: The only the only thing better than having a boat is having a friend with a boat. Exactly, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: You mentioned though, obviously fishing, and I know, uh Jalenole's also a fisherman, isn't he? Like you know, what what are those expeditions like? And how how is he holding up right now? Because I know he's he's dealing with a little bit of rehabit back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just like he said, it's it's a competition. When we go out there fishing, you know, I see Jalen catch a fish, I'm immediately trying to take his spot wherever he's.
Speaker 7: At, I'm casting.
Speaker 1: Oh you're that guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not going.
Speaker 7: Definitely that guy.
Speaker 5: You're that guy. So like he gets he.
Speaker 8: Missed, he misses, that's my.
Speaker 5: Come on, man, come on.
Speaker 8: But uh, yeah, he's been holding up good. He's in high spirits and ready to get out here on the field soon.
Speaker 5: So what's the group like if you have to say, these dudes are real fishermen, not like hey, I'll go out and whatever, but like actual serious fisherman like yourself.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I say myself definitely, Jalen. I say, Will is a serious fisherman. We got Dan a new receiver. He's a serious fisherman for sure. He has a lot of information. And then I don't know, everyone else is kind.
Speaker 5: Of laconships from down in Alabama.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've never been able to test the skills out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 5: We'll see. What's your favorite type of fish of fishing in terms of like targeting fish.
Speaker 8: My favorite type of fishing like red fish, yeah, the saltwater or bass or yeah, rad fish in Miami, I like to fish in like the mangroves. So it's mostly fishing for like, yeah, snug red fish, mangrove snapper and stuff like that. I get a little seasick when I'm out there on.
Speaker 7: The boat too far.
Speaker 5: Man, can you cast under the main?
Speaker 7: I can't do it.
Speaker 5: I can get closed though.
Speaker 9: I can help you, all right, So we to get y'all on a boat together when we absolutely do.
Speaker 5: I actually I actually told Omar if you ever have an off weekend or something happy to take you guys all off the record. Just fishing. I don't talk sports and fishing spinning reel or casting.
Speaker 8: Uh, I do both.
Speaker 5: Into the wind, you got to use spinning.
Speaker 8: Yeah, For like freshwater, I like to use a bait caster, and then for like saltwater, I'll probably definitely do a spinning reel.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And what's your what's your setup? What's your favorite setup?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Nothing too crazy.
Speaker 8: I just like to have either floral or mono and then you know, have that that braid tied on there but the mind of being the leader. But uh yeah, nothing too crazy. It all depends on the conditions.
Speaker 5: And the best fish you ever caught, the best fish, and the best one that got away, the best fish the story where you still go because we always remember the ones that got away.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sheeeesh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's hard.
Speaker 8: When I was in yeah, I was then I caught a huge red fish, one of the big drums, one of those huge it was like mating sea and it was huge.
Speaker 7: So I'd say that one.
Speaker 8: I don't even remember how big it was, but it was alread. Yeah, and then one that got away. I don't know. I'm still chasing there.
Speaker 9: I can tell you everyone that got away because there's not a lot of them.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 9: I did want to ask you though, because I've become fascinated with the welcome to the NFL moments. Did you did you feel like you had one of those last year?
Speaker 8: I would say, honestly, just coming out here to practice and you know, going against Sting and Kamari and you know Petrie, those guys in the secondary, Kalen back there, Bahaking, going against those guys was definitely welcome to NFL before I even got to a game.
Speaker 9: I imagine when you practice like this, game days are all feel easy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Sure, a little bit.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 9: Is there is there anything in particular, because I know you just want to get better in all fast? Is there anything in particular that you were focused on uniquely for the twenty twenty six season to be.
Speaker 5: Better at uh?
Speaker 8: I would definitely say, you know, trying to get some more run after catch, making plays with the bomb in my hand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, after the catch.
Speaker 9: Well, that's why we're working on the athleticism. One of the new people in the dirt. I love it all right.
Speaker 1: One more thing I want to ask you, just so I can get because.
Speaker 9: You clearly have favorite fish. What's your favorite routes to run out here?
Speaker 8: My favorite out Oh man, that's all right.
Speaker 1: I was a slant guy person.
Speaker 8: I like running slans. I do like running slants. I'd probably say like it's like a six step out like that.
Speaker 3: I like to get that.
Speaker 8: Kids get vertical.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 9: I would have never gone for that. But that's why we're different, right. Also, I have a microphone, and you play football. That's also another place. But we appreciate you greatly.
Speaker 5: Sitting down with and if anybody didn't like the fishing, talk too bad.
Speaker 1: Too bad?
Speaker 9: Right, All that means that we got to have you back over talk to more football. Have a great season, my guy. It's Jaye Higgins for you, Houston Texans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, caught the Ben McDaniels miked up, which I did last night. Ben's awesome. I don't know if it always comes through on the miked up because he kind of knows when he's miked up. But he's pretty good and he's a really really good coach. And he calls Hig Higg. It's funny to know the nicknames that they they call each other. Until we get him in studio and sometimes they'll use a nickname when they're referring to somebody and we're like, wait, who, But yeah, we caught up on that one. Hag was great today. He had a tremendous practice. He and Cjr. Really linked up, really linked up, and Tank only did a little bit. Nico did not practice, so he got a step up and he did. And he's done that many many times in his short career here with the Texans.
Speaker 1: So love his growth, love he's been able to do. But man, the receiver's been really good.
Speaker 2: Josh Kelly and Lewis Bond have been highly noticeable, highly noticeable. They've been fantastic. Josh Kelly had to catch it the day of one hander that he kind of brought into his body a couple of defenders around him.
Speaker 1: He snagged it was really really good catch.
Speaker 2: Receivers had played very well and I cannot wait to get more practice from Tank, to get more from Jalen No. Hopefully will be back relatively soon. And once you got the full arsenal, boy, that is a really tough group to stop. Appreciate Hig for stopping by Reggie and John of course, the best of friends and great broadcasters appreciate them.
Speaker 1: Figgy fig back in studio. It's been tremendous being with.
Speaker 2: You this evening. Big thanks to Mark, thanks to Albert Breer who joined us. Says, well, we'll see tomorrow everybody, Texas Training Camp live at eight be there.
Speaker 1: We'll see that everybody, and as always, go Texans,