Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on Wednesday. Once again the outpouring of love and support, not from the Dan Ats but from the audience.
Speaker 2: Thank you on my birthday. Still waiting. Been looking around the man cave, and the man cave is pretty large, trying to find those birthday gifts.
Speaker 3: You guys are rascals today.
Speaker 2: I can't find those gifts yet, but I still have a couple of hours to do so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See are friends at the Nebraska equipment staff at checked in, They've wished you a happy birthday?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. We love the Nebraska Athletic staff. They get it.
Speaker 3: Did they send anything though, they're well wishes?
Speaker 5: Mmm?
Speaker 2: Kind of hard to open up unwrap well wishes. There's no bow that comes on that. It's okay, that'd be great.
Speaker 6: You wrap up a little note says I'm wishing you the best, and you put it in a big box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well wishes, Yeah, all right, Paul, question for hour two is going to be what seedon Let's recap. By the way, Doug Gottlieb's going to join us. He's now coach Gottlieb. He is still going to do his national radio show. But he is going to the University of Wisconsin Green Bay, the Phoenix. And I was just talking to Tyler and Weeks our cameraman. They said, you know what, we have a perfect place for you to put your name in the hat. And they said, why don't you apply for the opening at Crappensburg State go in there and clean up the mess. And I said, okay, maybe I will. Maybe I will nailed it. I'll keep my national radio show, but I'll put my name Kenisius needs a new head coach.
Speaker 3: I believe you put them on the map there, good squad. Well they've been on the map. Yeah, they've been on the map. Wittenberg, Wittenberg outside of Dayton.
Speaker 7: You're from that area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they recruited me. They did the wise thing and stop recruiting me.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mormon, you could tell crap you could tell the players to start taking more twos.
Speaker 7: He cut.
Speaker 3: I don't give you a bloop on that way. I can't give you a blop on that.
Speaker 6: Ted basketball coach, Rockford University, Rockford, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right, Rockford Files was one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 3: Jim Garner. All right, so maybe I'll do that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to top Doug, but if there's an opening there, maybe, uh maybe I do.
Speaker 6: That nice directional school. I know you like that. University of Alabama, Huntsville. Okay, that's a good gig. Yeah, there's some openings out.
Speaker 7: There Kishlawaukee College in Malta, Illinois.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be tough, boss, that would be tough. Yeah. Yes, they didn't recruit you, right.
Speaker 2: No, they did not, they did not. Uh where are those coaches now?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Eight seven to seven three DP show email andros DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show what pol This.
Speaker 6: Is right up your alley. You know, a very good school okay, probably kind of you and I couldn't get in. Okay, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio men's.
Speaker 2: Basketball, Well they didn't recruit me either.
Speaker 7: Love the campus.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Lane College, head basketball coach at Lane College. I'm not sure where Lane College is, but they have an opening there. Somebody just reached out and said, would you be interested? Yeah, I guess they've been around since eighteen eighty two. Sure do we know where Lane College?
Speaker 7: We got it Jackson, Tennessee. All right, great place, all right, good weather.
Speaker 3: Division two and it's still open. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would want to be a player coach. I have two years of eligibility.
Speaker 6: Stay in your lane, Colley, Okay, you should do it.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: I got two years of eligibility and be a player coach. ESPN could do a feature on me. Be a good coach. You're tall.
Speaker 3: Holly Rowe could come down and do a feature on me.
Speaker 2: By the way, Holly Rowe covering Caitlyn Clark last year for the Mothership. She's a star as well. You know the twelve year old girl group. They love Holly row They recognize her like, oh yeah, Holly Rowe. She was there with Caitlyn Clark. Not a great debut for Caitlin, certainly in the first half. Struggled early with foul trouble and had ten turnovers. She ended up with twenty points, which I think I gave you the over under was going to be twenty and a half. That maybe a bloop blue blue, definitely a blue. Okay, Well, what's stopping you from giving me a bloop boop?
Speaker 3: All right? Thank you? Cavaliers.
Speaker 2: At the Celtics game five maps at the Thunder game five. The next roll the Pacers, Oh my god, embarrassing Knicks up three to two and Brunson goes for forty four. A joker went for forty thirteen no turnovers. Now I'm wondering about if I'm the Celtics, I don't want to face the Knicks only from the standpoint of just the way the Knicks are playing. Let's say the Knicks get to the next round, Celtics get to the Eastern Conference finals as well, like if you're facing Indiana, Okay, you know nobody's going to be, you know, falling in love with the Pacers to beat the Celtics. But the Knicks, the Knicks had becomes sort of that gritty, gutty underdog. Do they have five guys on the floor, can they you know, put together a decent lineup who's playing? And you know that's the kind of that's the kind of Now. I thought, if the Knicks were healthy, the Knicks could beat the Celtics, not saying they will both have to get there, but if they are, if they were healthy, I would love their chances, just because part of it is I buy into what the Knicks are doing. The other part is the Celtics and I don't buy into what they're doing, and maybe they proved me wrong. But you know they'll get by Cleveland and then they'll wait for the winner of the Knicks and the Pacers. As for the Timberwolves, now you go back home, and it used to be that the series started when the road team won. Well, the road team has won four times out of the five games here in this series. Does Minnesota put up a good fight? Can they put up a good fight? And do you have a different game plan for Joker? Because it didn't work last night? Here's Anthony Edwards watching Joker go to work.
Speaker 3: I just laugh.
Speaker 9: That's all I can do. I mean, I can't. I can't be mad because he's just he good man. I think I said that at the game won when we won in Game two, like he'd MVP. He's best player in the NBA, and he showed it the last three games, three games in a row. And yeah, tonight he was special tonight. I got to give him his flowers.
Speaker 3: It was I mean, I don't know, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know what we were supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was.
Speaker 9: He was that guy tot night.
Speaker 2: Yes he was. And that's about as perfect as you can play. You know, it's it's not a perfect game. But I mean basketball doesn't give out those awards like baseball does. But that's pretty much throwing a perfect game. No turnovers, thirteen assists, forty points. And he was economical too. I mean, Brunson has to have volume with his shots, and he probably had ten more shots than Joker did. And Joker ended up with forty Bruntson with forty four. But the Garden is alive and kicking, and I did not think that going into that game. I thought, Okay, now Indiana's going to show they're a better team, and they might be a more talented team. They're not a better team, at least they haven't shown me. And give credit to the Knicks because and especially you know Isaiah Hartenstein.
Speaker 3: He was great. He's fun, bangs the.
Speaker 2: Boards, gonna give you offensive rebounds, hit a couple of floaters there. Brunson was wonderful again. But I'm waiting for the Pacers. Tyrese Haliburton, come on, didn't show up last night and now this game goes back to Indiana. Are we gonna be back in the Garden for Game seven?
Speaker 3: All right? What's pull question for hour two? Seaton?
Speaker 4: Let me recap hour one day we got a couple of pole quests. Okay, all right, who's in more trouble? Piecers t Wolves right now? Timberwolves got seventy four percent of that vote. And would you want a surprise birthday party? Yes, it would be a hooter. No, let's keep it low key. Eighty percent want to keep it low key?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never had a surprise party, so I wouldn't know. Well, now for hour two, we were gonna go with better gig Wisconsin Green Bay Men's head basketball coach or hosting Fox Sports Radio three to five pm Easterns.
Speaker 7: We haven't done that poll in a while.
Speaker 2: You can only keep one, Well, it feels like you could keep one a little bit longer than the other. I'm guessing. Well, this has always been a dream of Doug Gottliebs. Luckily the Doug or not he doesn't have to choose. No, he's in for both. Yeah, he's got both. Right now, we'll talk about, you know, trying to do both. There have to be things you can't say on national radio because of the job that you hold, you know, recruiting, he's not allowed to talk about probably certain recruits, certain players, transfers, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tod, you got to take.
Speaker 7: The coaching job.
Speaker 8: I know he said it's like in a lifelong dream and being near where he grew up in all that. But since he has all this series of broadcasting experience, he can probably get back into some type of broadcasting role down the road. You don't know when the next coaching job. He's waited this long for any coaching job to open up to get hired.
Speaker 2: Well, if he's not successful, then there probably won't be another coaching job. But the guy who was there before him was there one year and I think they improved like thirteen or fifteen games, and he went to Wyoming. I think no, he was he was one and done at Wisconsin green Bay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, it's a tough poll.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you're the UW Green Bay head basketball coach, you're doing well, you're probably getting free Packers tickets, or at least if you can't get tickets, maybe skybox or something. They have skyboxing.
Speaker 7: I think if you're winning twenty you're going to the Packers game.
Speaker 3: They haven't won their conference since nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 10: A lot of upside. Yeah, no, No, that's their mascot, the Dragon. Another Phoenix, The Phoenix, the Phoenix, Yes, the Phoenix. Lebron Jameson spoke to the media yesterday.
Speaker 2: He's never done that, He's never had a press conference, and this first I've heard him speak, and I thought he handled the questions really well, including the obligatory Do you want to play with your father?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 11: I don't think I would just like when I get there, I don't think it would just me and my dad. You know, I would be happy about getting to the league instead of me thinking about playing with my dad.
Speaker 7: But that's like not my monset or not all.
Speaker 9: I'm just trying to put in the work and see what it takes some do.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're Lebron James's son, you've benefited from that. But he does have to earn this. This it's not his dream, it's his dad's dream. He has to make the league and maybe he ends up in the G League. You know, I don't see somebody drafting him in the first round because you're not drafting him, and all of a sudden, Lebron goes, oh, okay, Houston drafted him. I'm going to Houston. That's not happening. I think we thought that that was a possibility that's not happening. Everything that Lebron has is in La his business, building a new home. He's got two other kids in high school. He's not going anywhere. But I love what Bronnie's doing. He's got to earn it. And you know, now you're hearing is not as tall as we thought. He's a little heavier than he was at USC and you know he has the ability to you got a nice shot, knows how to play the game, pretty good defender. But you know, he's not changing a franchise, and I think that this is where he has to figure out, this is what I do well, and I can help this team, not I'm going to get this job because my dad, you know, is Lebron And I don't think that we should confuse those two things. He has to earn a spot because you don't want him to go out there and get embarrassed. And I would love for him to go back to college like Ducane. There was that possibility go back play, be one of the stars, be you know, the man, and get that full year because you know he had the.
Speaker 3: Heart condition that's scare.
Speaker 2: Then he came back and you're kind of thrown into PAC twelve play and there were some really good teams in the Pac twelve and you know, he wasn't the best player, not even close on his own team. And they said, well he played out of position. Well, he played out a position because the guy who was playing his position was better than him.
Speaker 3: But you can't help but root for him.
Speaker 2: He seems like a great kid, and I hope he gets that opportunity for himself, not for his dad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pol, I'll bet you Lebron has started thinking about this years ago. I think we mentioned it on this show years ago. He may stay to play with his son. And I'll bet you four years ago for Lebron, it was like, in theory, this would be great, and now it's a reality and it's not as simple as I'll just get him on the team.
Speaker 7: I'm on, no one has more juice than Lebron.
Speaker 6: But I think Lebron may recalibrate himself and think, or be he should think, maybe the dream is to play against my son in a game.
Speaker 7: Maybe my son.
Speaker 6: Will be a Portland Trail blo eighth man and he'll check into a game and I'll be on the floor and my son will get switched on a defensive assignment.
Speaker 2: I would just hope my son got into the NBA, none of this other stuff we're playing on the same team or playing against. Just let him prove, let him be at his own person. Well, I mean Lebron by mentioning this puts so much pressure on him, like he really should be going back to college, I think for one more year. But he might be saying, you know, how long is my dad going to play? Is he going to play two more years, three more years? How much better is BRONI going to be? But I mean, he's going to prove that he can play. And I think he's had a pretty good week so far at the Combine by all accounts. All right, when we come back, Oh, Tod.
Speaker 8: Is that too snarky?
Speaker 3: No, you can give it to me.
Speaker 8: If New Wisconsin Green Bay coach Dog Gottlieb was an attendance at a Packers, Bucks or Brewers game, does he make it on the JumboTron? Yes or no?
Speaker 2: I would say maybe the Packers early in the season, depending on what's going on with the team later in the season, the Bucks and Brewers. That's in Milwaukee, So I would say yes, maybe at the Packers game.
Speaker 8: And for how many seconds does he stay on the jumbo tron before they move on to kisscam or something?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Does Green Bay have a jumbo tron? Like when I went to Lambeau, it's pretty much bare bones. You know, you're sitting on metal benches and it's not It wasn't luxurious, but it was football. It was awesome, cold loved it all right, let me take a break. Coach gottlieb Well Jonas on the show right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, it's Ben, the host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour. I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Mather Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world will. We chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Not n him for a long time, I just called him Doug. Now I got to call him coach coach Gottley, New Wisconsin, Green Bay head basketball coach.
Speaker 3: Oh, look at you.
Speaker 2: It looks like it's picture day for you. Congratulations Doug.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan.
Speaker 3: How long you been working on this?
Speaker 5: I didn't well. The backstory is that I was a finalist for the job last year and Sundan and Swis end up being the choice. You did a great job. He's National Coach the Year, Rising Lee Coach the Year and he got the Wyoming job. But I didn't really work on it. It was just more the athletic director, Josh Moon and I struck up a legit friendship and relationship, and when Sonny left to take the Wyoming job in his home state, he called me instead he's still interested, and I said hell, yeah, oh yeah. You know, last year, the timing was a little wonky. My daughters were seniors in high school. So outside of go and take some pictures for my daughter's prom on Saturday back in California, they're out of the house, and so I think the timing is actually a lot better, but the job is maybe a little bit more difficult because now I'm following the guy who did a great job and when the eighteen games last season.
Speaker 3: How much of this is I want to do this? How much of this is I need to do this?
Speaker 5: Ooh ooh, man, you're good. You know I copied your interviewing style for a reason, but that was a good one. I don't have that one in the bag. Probably a little bit of both, but honestly, like, look, there's there's the ego part to it that I want to prove myself right. I want to prove that all the talking into a headset, all talking in the headset, all the AAU or the you know, adult things that I've done in coaching TBT or coaching overseas, like this is legit. It works in college. But in all honesty, like my best friends in the world are my teammates at Notre Dame, my teammates at Oaklhama staate. Like I'm on a group chat with those guys, I will lay down on train tracks for them. I told we got twenty on one group text, and we got like fifteen on another, And I would do anything for those guys. I told them all, if they want to come up here and get a job, whether it's in the office or out of the office, I'll do it for them. And that's the experience. I want for the kids to come here and play for me. You know, they don't have to love me. I like them respect me, but I want them to love each other and love their school and just have a great experience. You know, whether you're here for one year or five years, I don't care. I want to be the best basketball experience of your life because you work so hard to get to this level, and you know, you just don't want the You don't want when you're thirty five to sit there and go like, well, it's like the green bead, like it is okay, no, no, you asked me about playing Oakland State. I'll say it was the best, like literally the best three years of my existence as a human being. And I want to be their best existence as a human being, but also as a basketball player. I want to get the best out of them by coaching them the way I want to be coaching.
Speaker 2: I'll go a little deeper. Your dad was a basketball coach. How much of this is about what your dad did.
Speaker 5: Look, it's the family business. I don't know if you know this, but my dad's last head coaching job was at our tribal. You don't be Milwaukee. I was born in Wisconsin. I was Whitefish Bay and be a hospital. So yeah, there's a there's a legacy element to it as well. Uh, and I'm I'm sure that when I talk to people today, I'm gonna in this moment, I'm thinking, God, he'd be He's smile in heaven right now. So I think there's there's part of that, But this is not I'm not trying to live the life that my dad would want me to live by no means like, he never wanted me to leave ESPN. Man, he didn't. He thought it was that was crazy, you know, because he said, you know, ESPN's got I watch every night. You can't go leave for somewhere else. I don't watch. But you know what, when I went to CBS, you watched and listen. When I went to Fox, you watched and listened. And so, uh, it's not all about him. I can't live my life that way. But I can't tell you that. You know, you get to this age and you just say to yourself, like, what am I doing here? You know I'm creeping up on fifty And I love basketball, I love young men, I love working at the idea of working at a university, and I want to build something special. I want to build not a legacy for me, but a legacy for them. I want them to experience what I experienced. And these jobs are hard to get, man, They're really really hard to get. My brother has been in the business for twenty eight years. He's really really good, really good. He hadn't gotten a heade job yet. So I respect how hard it is to get this. I'm gonna do everything I can to make it successful. And most importantly, I want these kids to have just the best basketball experience in their life, the best college experience in their life. And I want this community they'll embrace them and build something really cool where people say, like, man, Green Bay, you get the Packers and then you got the Phoenix and you don't want to go play there. That's a snake bit. You're going to take it out.
Speaker 2: He's Doug Gottlaide, the new Wisconsin Green Bay head coach, also going to do is national radio show at Folks Sports. How do you commit to coaching, how do you commit to doing your national radio show on the same day, same time?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, like, listen, you've done your radio show and you've done TV shows in the same day, right, I mean you know how hard that was when you did Sports Center and you used to pop from one to the XT next you know, go and write your script and it's it's challenging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but these are two different disciplines. Here.
Speaker 2: You could be coaching in the afternoon and doing your radio show in the afternoon.
Speaker 5: No, I'm the head coach. I get to set the schedule, okay, right, but what time is practice? Coach? Yeah, I get that. So as an assistant coach, I think it would be harder. I think it would be more difficult, but as you'd have to have a really understanding head coach. But as a head coach, like you set aside time. And the great thing about about about you know, our Chancellor Michael Alexander allowing me to do both is that it allows me to take less money financially and not take a huge hit, and then hire a staff that already knows what I don't know, and then they can remember Crimson Tide, like who's got the con like I'll get somebody else to con So I wake up really early thinking about things to talk about, and I've I've already hired somebody who's assigned to me. Hey man, you tell me where I need to be, what I need to be there, and then you just need to prioritize your time. But the truth is, Dan, you know, in the last couple of years, I've worked for Fox, Fox Sports Radio in Fox Sports One, I did a streaming show for Stadium I did. I had an AAU program in southern California called British West that's our legacy program. And I also worked for Westwood One for Compass Media. I mean, you name it, I've done it. So now I only have two jobs. I went from being remember the Jamaicans on UH in Living Color. You know, I got six jobs, the butcher, the baker, the Canadina stick maker. Like now I only have two jobs.
Speaker 3: So ye can't say on the air? Are there things that you can't?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they're the same things. I can't stay on the air anyway.
Speaker 2: No, but you can't talk about, you know, recruits. I mean there's certain things you.
Speaker 5: Get it like how many times in the history of a Fox Sports radio show. Has anyone talked about recruits for Green Bay?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Recruits in general?
Speaker 5: I do we talk about college basketball at that granular level?
Speaker 3: Well, you might, you might, No.
Speaker 5: I don't because I like what we talk about what the most people want to listen about.
Speaker 3: Right well, like Cooper Flags. Cooper Flags the number one player. Cooper Flag's the number one player going to Duke. Were you would you have been able to.
Speaker 2: Talk about Cooper Flag on your radio show before he committed to Duke or going forward? Are you allowed to do? I mean, these are just thoughts that I had when you're going to try to do both. Do you even know what you're allowed to and not allowed to talk about on your show?
Speaker 5: I'm not allowed to talk about recruitable student student athletes that I want to recruit about. I can tell you right now, I'm not getting Cooper Flag decided to do. He's going to be awesome. He's gonna be amazing. I talk about group of Blag all the time because you know what Coop Flag. I mean, I'd love for him to come to Green Bay, but he ain't.
Speaker 2: He ain't coming down, He's not what kind of what kind of nil budget do you have good?
Speaker 5: Good needs to get better, but good. I mean, you know, I am drinking my liquid death for a reason, and you know, like we're we're we're going to try and try and use uh. I think it works great together. I think they're mutual promotional tools. Right. Everyone at Fox Sports Radio has been awesome and now we have the only national radio show host who is also a Division one men at college basketball coach. I think that works. And then for green Bay it works as a promotional tool, even out mentioning I don't have to talk ever about green Bay. I thought the Packers all that I want, But I think you bring in some of our national sponsors. There's people that I have great relationships with nationally, people that want to be a part of this and what we're doing. And then of course going out in the community and anybody who has who Green Bay has touched at any point in time in their life, we want, we want you to be around, but we also want to help raise money because no one's ever done without players. And it doesn't mean you can just throw a bunch of money at kids and they're gonna come and you're gonna win. You don't want that, you want guys invest in being here for long term. But our ni ole budget is good and it's gonna get great, and we're gonna go do all the things, all the right things it takes to raise the money and find the right players that will earn that money, not just be given them money.
Speaker 3: Would you like for me to be a shooting coach for you?
Speaker 5: I'm actually a really good shooting coach because I can tell you what not to do when you're working. But but but there are rumors of your eligibility. That's what I have.
Speaker 3: Two years left.
Speaker 5: Do you do you get a COVID year?
Speaker 3: Hell, yeah, I'll take one.
Speaker 5: I mean because you know, I mean we're in the same league as Opland and some of their guys will. I mean, they're not sure age, but they're closer to age.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know what, Wisconsin Stevens Points reached out maybe if I'd like to help them, So I just I said, I got to talk to you first. But if if if you're passing up.
Speaker 5: Listen, listen. Here here's here's the thing. Dan. If you have nil, if you'd like to, you'd like to donate to our collective help you can start in the first game. If you have eligibility. Matter of fact, you can coach and start, you can play.
Speaker 2: Pay you if I pay you one hundred thousand dollars. Yes, I get to start the first game of your college coaching career.
Speaker 5: Sure your eligibility, absolutely, buddy? Why not?
Speaker 2: Now not just start? I need to go brunton on you.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna play the whole game? Yes, You're gonna have to dig a little deeper.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna try. I'm gonna try to play the home.
Speaker 11: I mean, listen, man, I'm serious. If you really give like, it ain't gonna matter. You know, we'll play a zone. I hate zone. We'll play a zone. We'll put four dudes around you. Fine, stay in the corner. Damn we'll find you'll be open.
Speaker 3: Uh do you even know your coaching style?
Speaker 5: Yes? I coached, Dan, I coach, I'm coaching.
Speaker 3: I'm college. I'm talking to college basketball.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 3: Is different than.
Speaker 5: AU is closer to college now than it's ever been in the past. Obviously it's more in depth in terms of coaching, the scouting or whatever. But you know, in terms of how you gotta recruit and player player procurement, it's a lot more like, it's not more like AU than it is like the NBA, right because the NBA have long term, guaranteed contracts. The AAU like you don't know who's You might be thinking kid's gonna play for you and he's in layup lines with the other team. Right, So, uh, do I know my coaching style? Yes? Would you like to hear it fun?
Speaker 3: I just want to know if it's gonna be fun, because if.
Speaker 5: It's not, you're gonna be tedious and boring.
Speaker 3: No, you're gonna playdfense. You're gonna play defense, and you know.
Speaker 5: You have to play you have to play defense. But you can't play defense just to play offense. Right, Some some teams do that the old LA like, look, you're gonna win based upon do you defend, you rebound, do you not turn the basket ball over? But I'm a five out guy, okay, and and a lot all that. All that my my infatuation with European basketball, NBA basketball. Remember this year I got a chance to to work with Mike Boyton at Oklahoma State as consultant. I learned so much from him. But we talked philosophically about about about offense, specifically offense is my specialty. My lead assistant would be my defensive coordinator. But yeah, we play open. I don't like post ups, post ups or a passing position or you you you dribble up into an uphill handoff. That ball is got to move side to side in purposeful movement. But it's the new way twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: You play five.
Speaker 2: I'm similar to watching right now sat Orbits is watching this interview and they now know your style.
Speaker 3: Just letting you know.
Speaker 5: Dan'ma I'm gonna tell you something that that Phil Martelli told me when I was a finalist for a different job. So Phil Martelly, the famous Saint.
Speaker 3: You said, don't shoot Doug.
Speaker 5: Everybody said, don't you find find shooters and give them a book. That was no. He said, hey, when you get there and you have your summer practices, play a ton of one on one. I was like, one on one. He's like yeah, because you know what all that all the offense is great, all the defense is great, but at the end of games, you win or you lose because do you have a guy who can get you a bucket? And do you have a guy who can stop them from getting a bucket? And that's the only way you know, and like, look, my my non negotiables are. You got to be committed, you got to be tough, and you have a competitive right. That's how you find out if kids are competitive is if everybody around and standing around in the gym and we're watching two guys play one on one, you find out who's got the lower in testament fortitude to get it done. What's my coaching style? And I coach people the way I want to be coached. I'm firm but fair. We're gonna play fast, and when we're not playing basketball, we're not in the gym, like we're human beings. If you're not playing well, I'm not gonna not look at you when you're in town. I'm not gonna avoid you like you're still basically my adopted son. Like that's the relationship you have to have. It is all about getting kids to believe not just in themselves, but believe that you believe in them. That's a big thing because they're all precocious basically teenagers. They all have insecurities and they all come out when they're not playing well. So you gotta you know, I got to you gotta coach confidence as much as anything else, and you got to coach unselfishness, and unselfishness can rear its head in a million different ways. Todd is unselfish, Seat is unselfish. You're selfish? Know how that works? You want to take all the shots. It works collectively within your group.
Speaker 2: Rick Patino just sent out a tweet that Doug is going to kill it at Green Bay. His dad was a terrific coach. Doug really knows the game. Now go get a strong name, image and likeness. All right, how oftome is that? That's great? Are you gonna have Are you going to schedule him?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah? Like here, like I can take a couple of whoopins early, you're one. We can take whoopins.
Speaker 3: Are you wearing a track suit on the sidelines? Are you gonna go suit?
Speaker 5: It's a great question, it's a great question. I'm gonna I'm gonna vary it. I'm gonna vary it. I mean, I I like, I like that we've gone to the zip up. You know the zip ups?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bob Huggins don't don't.
Speaker 5: Well, Bob kind of let himself go a little bit, but he's a hell of How about that? The Rick Patino like unprompted, unprompted tweets it like that's amazing, that's that's remarkable.
Speaker 3: Looking for a W. He looking for an easy W is what he's looking for?
Speaker 4: Mine?
Speaker 5: Call me Okay, I want half the money to the program, half the money to the collective. Let's go that house, my nil. Let's go play some basketball.
Speaker 2: Genoma just reached out here. Yeah, Geno Orema just reach out said he wants a piece of the Phoenix.
Speaker 5: We'll do that.
Speaker 3: Home at home.
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, we'll dot you for one. We're here. We know, we know, we said.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for you. Uh, good luck with it? And uh, can you can you do me?
Speaker 5: Can you do me a favor?
Speaker 3: I just did. I gave you fifteen minutes so you could recruit.
Speaker 5: No, can you can you do me? Can you come to a game?
Speaker 3: Well, you're gonna be nearby.
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, I'm not gonna play you con I'll play Fairfield if you remember. I remember I lived in.
Speaker 2: West I know all they still talk about you. If you play Fairfield or Sacred Heart, I will be there. Okay, I'm going to be in the layup line.
Speaker 5: Done.
Speaker 3: I'm going to remember Drake.
Speaker 5: Remember remember checks got it clear?
Speaker 2: First, Oh no, I'm not playing. I'm just gonna be in the layup line. That doesn't cost me that Congrats, Thanks your best. That's Doug Gottlieb. I got to call him coach now, Coach Gottlieb. All right, we'll take a break, we'll come back. Guess the team that hard knocks is embracing this year.
Speaker 3: We'll have that for you coming up.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: This show, of course, is all about me. Nobody's said happy birthday in about twenty five minutes.
Speaker 3: So if you guys would have did Doug don't know? He did not because he thought today was all about him. Well it was, But you guys want to say empty birthnames, Happy birthday, thanks to birthday, more healthy, Happy, thank you time, thank you time. Yeah. Paul.
Speaker 6: Back to Doug Gottlieb getting this job with only AAU coaching experience. Stay with me on my theory here. And as Apple's Oranges Colorado hires Deon Sanders, they see a lot of upside from an exposure standpoint, and it worked out Now this is not that. But I wonder if Dion sanders Hire will open the door for more guys like Doug or or other former athletes.
Speaker 2: What it already has. You got a couple of guys the historically black colleges and universities. Eddie George got a job. There is there another former athlete who got a head coaching job there? Marvin looking at Okay, I thought there might have been one other. Look, there's only one. Dion and Doug got them national publicity right there that they would never get. No one would care who Wisconsin green Bay's coach is going to be. But Doug going there, we know him has a reputation with college basketball, covers college basketball. Now you're coaching college basketball. So you went from being an expert as we all are and when we turn on the microphone to now you have to show that you're an expert. It's one thing to talk it, it's another thing to actually do it. Now people are going to watch and go, Okay, let's see what you know.
Speaker 6: Yes, Pauline, I've just heard Dan this into the ITM inbox. Okay, I heard from coach Matt Hockett. He is the women's basketball coach at University of Wisconsin. Stevens point, all right, Matt, I had women's basketball, okay, And according to him, he's sitting there in the office okay, with the ad okay, discussing you okay, trying to connect, trying to call Dan about his interest in the University of Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Stevens point, Okay, Well the lines are tied up right now.
Speaker 7: But you ready to shoot, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Uh huh? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I gave Doug an opportunity. I would go in there and be a shooting coach for him, you know, maybe for a day, just to help the kids out. But it sounded like that he didn't need me, so okay, I'll take my services elsewhere. Let's see. But I would like to do the layup line. That'd be great. If they gave me warm up and I'm out there, I would slap the backboard if I can get there.
Speaker 3: You know, I've been trying to do that, Edward, and they'll pass. So Hi, Edward, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey Daniel, Happy birthday. Hope you have a great day.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Edward.
Speaker 13: As of today, we're no longer the same age. I have a height of the face that if anybody's interested. Okay, I don't think that Rory will finish in the top ten this week.
Speaker 2: Okay, Rory just announced he was getting a divorce. They have a child, they'd been married I think seven years, and Edward is probably maybe banking on that that maybe Rory won't be all there. But he did just win last week, and he was going he'd already filed his divorce papers. I believe, so, yes, does anybody want a piece of Edward? Rory McElroy does not finish in the top ten, pie to the face anybody?
Speaker 3: Anybody? Anybody bu oler.
Speaker 2: We believe, okay, Edward, we believe in love and we're not going to take that bet.
Speaker 13: Okay, Well, I'll h have to sit back and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, that's what we all have to do, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: I don't want to maybe too soon, and you know we love love.
Speaker 6: But it's sure to have been nice if Rory would have finalized that paperwork before he got the big purse last weekend.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, but it's not finalized. Let's say win's the PGA to not is it after I don't know, I don't know how this works. Hutch, Hutch and Saint Louis. Hi, Hutch, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 15: First of all, I just want to wish you a happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Hutch.
Speaker 15: Second, I'm kind of surprised you didn't open the show with this, but I'm just checking in from the call from yesterday. When you're gonna get with about the Dolphins running back situation, Uh, I'll hang out.
Speaker 2: No, that's Thursday. That's Thursday, Hunch. Probably spend a full hour on the Dolphins backfield.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin. Sorry to go back to the coaches. Ed Reid was the head coach at Bathune Cookman, but.
Speaker 2: Then Okay is relieved of his duties after some other stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris in Texas, Hi Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Happy birthday, Dan, and thanks for calling back. Two things, One real quick shout out to my kiddos who are listening in after school here. And secondly, the conversation yesterday about Seinfeld has me a little bit like peeking over my shoulder. The conversation you were saying, please stop relating everything in life to a SCIENCELD episode. And I'm not a Seinfeld fan, but I do love the Office and I find myself making comparison to a lot question for you and the guys, how long of a shelf life do I have to continue doing that? Thank Dan?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the Office is still I mean, it's played on Comedy Central every day.
Speaker 3: It's still there.
Speaker 2: And you have people who graduated from the Office, John Krazinsky, Steve Carell, who are you know, performing at a very high level, so they're still in mainstream, you know, pop culture, and it's on all the time.
Speaker 3: I'm not a that reminds.
Speaker 2: Me of an episode of I just never did that, but I have friends who will somehow their lives are Seinfeld episodes.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 3: That reminds me like I.
Speaker 2: Never, you know, had somebody tell me they went into a steam shower and all of a sudden they touched whatever name her breast. They're fabulous and they're real or Jimmy Gertz No, no, no.
Speaker 3: Todd, do you remember that.
Speaker 8: From Desperate Housewise?
Speaker 2: Yes, Terry Hatcher, Terry Hatchet Hatcher, like they're real and they're fabulous or something like that. Never happened to anybody I know. Yeah, it's early, it's my birthday. What final hour? We'll tell you who's going to be on Hard Knocks this upcoming season.