Speaker 1: Welcome to the Good Stuff. I'm Jacob Schick and I'm joined by my co host and wife, Ashley Shick.
Speaker 2: Jake is a third generation combat Marine and I'm a gold Star granddaughter. And we work together to serve military veterans, first responders, frontline healthcare workers, and their families with mental and emotional wellness.
Speaker 3: Through traditional and non traditional therapy. At One Tribe Foundation.
Speaker 1: We believe everyone has a story to tell, not only about the peaks, but also the valleys they've been through to get them to where they are. To Dick.
Speaker 2: Each week, we invite a guest to tell us their story, to share with us the lessons they've learned that shape who they are and what they're doing to pay it forward and give back.
Speaker 1: Our mission with this show is to dig deep into our guest's journey so that we can celebrate the hope and inspiration their story has to offer.
Speaker 3: We're thrilled you're joining us again.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Good Stuff.
Speaker 3: Today, we're joined by Randy Thompson.
Speaker 1: Randy's an actor, father and husband living in Los Angeles, and he's here to tell us the story of how his lifelong dream of scuba diving finally manifested.
Speaker 2: This episode is a journey of artistic passion, romance, fatherhood, underwater adventure, heartbreaking tragedy, and the power of human connection in the aftermath of great loss.
Speaker 1: Randy is a student of life who has always been fueled by deep curiosity, and it's an honor to bring you his story.
Speaker 2: Randy Thompson, thank you so much for joining us here on the Good Stuff.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we're excited your story today. It's kind of about the intersection of three life paths, fatherhood, acting, and scuba diving, all of which were important to you at a young age. Tell us about where you grew up and how you first started dreaming of scuba diving.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: I grew up in northeast Ohio, in a small town that's directly between Cleveland and Youngstown, but really very rural, about three thousand people total, and was raised by my mom who my dad left when I was about three, and so my mom raised my brother and I until she remarried when I was about ten. And when I was very little, one of my earlier memories is sitting down with my brother on the couch and he had to be maybe four, which I was probably like five five or six, and I was like, okay, Ty, let's talk and he's like, what do we talk about it?
Speaker 1: I said, let's talk about sharks.
Speaker 4: And I think I just had like an ocean creature's book on my lap and just like landed on that. But it was my kind of opportunity to like be a teacher to my little brother at that age, I think, and I just walked through that book with him and then it never left me. I was just like super obsessed, specifically with whale sharks. That was always kind of my thing, is that I wanted to see a whale shark in real life. But just the idea of the size of the oceans, how much we knew and didn't know about it, and just kind of all the mystery around it really sparked something in me. I had kind of like a naturally curious mind already, and it was just kind of one of these things like I wanted to be an explorer. I wanted to go to space and wanted to dive in the sea. You know, It's like I wanted to see what was out there kind of at the extreme reaches. Even early on, it was one of those things as a kid, I think that like, I'm somebody who's always had a ton of interests, and I get very obsessed with things, and I have ADHD and so like all of my attention funnels into one pursuit for a bright short time, and then I usually just burn out on it and go on to something else. That was one of those things that kind of kept creeping up for me and kept coming back. Was I'm sure it tied on some level just to like this need to explore and to mine the depths of the mysteries of the world. I got obsessed with space as well. And then there was an image of NASA training their astronauts, I think in Houston, but training them in a pool with divers, and it just kind of blew my mind. Is like this amazing connection of the two.
Speaker 1: One of my mentors I've heard them say several times, which I'd sell the boys all the time, is like, listen, curiosities often disguised as courage, So do not ever lose that. That's great. We'll be watching a movie or something and we'll be five minutes in and Jackson will ask one thousand questions. We don't know. We just started it too we've.
Speaker 3: Seen the same amount of information you.
Speaker 4: Have, but you're like, there are times when I need you to be just a little less curious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was another passion of yours as well, is that desire to become a father as we sit here.
Speaker 1: And talk about it, Yeah, I have this book.
Speaker 4: It's a book that's like Doctor Seus's character, is called My Book about Me, and it's you know, I am this tall, this is my favorite color. And there's a page that says when I grow up, I want to be And it's just two full pages of all of these options, you know, to give kids a like guidepost. You want to be a plumber, you want to be an electrician, whatever it is. And I had just did like a write in candidate the blank space, just saying a daddy. I think I was seven years old, my mom said when I wrote that. So when my wife and I found out we were going to have our daughter, I took a picture of that and send it to my mom.
Speaker 1: Just feel like it's happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was pretty awesome. Yeah, I think that part of it for me was kind of not even that I was conscious of this at seven, but I knew that my dad wasn't what I wanted him to be, and that's kind of probably where it ended for me, is that I wanted more from him. And now I can kind of look back and see I was trying to right those wrongs.
Speaker 1: On some level.
Speaker 4: I had this idea of, like, I can be a father and do right by my kids in the way that maybe, you know, I wished that my dad was able to do for me.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. We end up on the spinning ball of chaos, and if done correctly, we come to the conclusion of we want to leave this better than we found it, right, And I think parenthood is a tremendous way to achieve that goal.
Speaker 2: Jamison is six and a half and he's already made up his mind that he does don't want children, and yeah, I'm like why, little Baba, and he because children wake you up early? Yeah, And I'm like, pot black, it's airtight logic, it is.
Speaker 1: And they're so they haven't had enough life experience to be jaded yet, right, And it's such unfiltered just honesty and curiosity, and it's so so magnetic. It's like, man, I just want to hang out with them, like all day, every day because I'm easy.
Speaker 4: It's easy to see when you or someone else has blunted that a little bit, even in just really small ways, just like moments that I've responded in anger or frustration at something. That's a moment when like my daughter comes to me with kind of an open heart and open curiosity, and for whatever reason, either the timing or the way she's expressing or whatever, I respond in frustration and I see just like a fraction of that spark start to flicker, and I think that it's we're not going to be perfect, We're going to screw it up a million times. But to me, it's a good kind of reminder whenever that happens of just what we're actually dealing with here.
Speaker 1: You know, we're dealing with.
Speaker 4: A very pure lens to look through the world, and we're trying our best to just like do as much as we can to keep it that way, or at least encourage it.
Speaker 2: I think, how did your path lead you from smalltown Ohio to the big Los Angeles?
Speaker 4: So I developed a passion for acting, and I decided that's what I wanted to pursue with my life. In elementary or middle school, I had seen a production that kind of inspired me and showed me that this was something that could really change people's lives. I mean, it was just being inside of a theater in absolute silence and watching all of these people just riveted and people are crying, and I'm just feeling all these incredibly massive things that I hadn't really expected.
Speaker 1: It was an eye.
Speaker 4: Opening experience for me, and it led me to this idea that I really wanted to pursue acting on some level, and so I ended up going to New York. I studied at NYU for four years for my undergraduate and then stayed in New York for about ten years, and I did pursue acting there. My wife and I ended up getting cast opposite each other in a play, so that's the first time we met, was getting cast, and we just became best friends and we were just kind of obsessed with each other for a year, even though we're I was in a long term relationship at the time, she was just getting out of a relationship, and we were just really intense friends. We wanted to hang out all the time. There was nothing, as far as I could tell, romantic about it. Until all of a sudden it became very clear to me like, oh, I'm in love with this person. So I was honest with my partner and we ended that relationship and I started this one. And then my wife, about six months after we started dating, got into grad school in California, and she had already been applying before we were ever in our relationship, and so we decided, because I really loved living in New York, we were going to do long distance. She was going to be in California for a couple of years, I'd be in New York. And after about five or six months of that, we were just like, I don't want to do anything other than be where you are. Everything else kind of lost its luster, and I was just like, if this means setting aside other dreams that I have right now, my number one goal is to not I don't mean to say settle in terms of any kind of negativity towards my ex, but I had taken on certain opinions about the rest of my life that I was just like, it's going to be this at this level, and that's going to be fine, and maybe some years down the line will have kids, and maybe some years down the line will get a divorce. And that was part of my thinking of my future was just like, this is inevitably what's going to happen. Because I had become very comfortable in this life that we built, and then I met Beth and I was just like, I can't not be with this person. I can't say to the rest of my life, Oh, it's going to be fine. Knowing that this person and this feeling that I have about this person is out there for me, it was the most important thing to shape our lives in a way that we could be with each other. And so I moved with this expectation that I was going to still be able to pursue acting in LA.
Speaker 3: That is amazing, What a beautiful story.
Speaker 4: Well thanks, Yeah. We talk a lot about these moments of crossroads that you always have in your life where you can look.
Speaker 1: Back and see like, oh, I see these.
Speaker 4: Sliding doors moments I took a right instead of a left, and there it was, and with her, it was one of the very small handful of moments where you're in the crossroads and realizing that you're there. I could see my life was either going to take a hard left or a hard right, but it couldn't stay the same. I can say where we are right now. It's just been the best decision I've ever made in my life.
Speaker 1: Way to go with your gut and follow intuition. It's like I tell people all the time everything we want on the other side.
Speaker 2: Of our fear knowing that being a father, becoming a father was so important to you, did y'all decide to start a family earlier?
Speaker 4: We talked about it pretty early on in our relationship. I think we both kind of knew deep down this was the person. We had a feeling we would get married. And Beth has said since she knew almost immediately after we started dating that she wanted to be married to me, and that she wanted to have kids with me, and that it wasn't this lifelong dream that she was like, I'm going to have this kind of wedding and I'm gonna have this number of kids, But really that when we met each other, we knew this is the person who I wanted to share this with.
Speaker 1: This is the person I want to go on that journey with.
Speaker 4: We were married like two and a half to three years and just decided it was a good time. We were both in a good place with our careers and life. We wanted to at least get started in the process, and we didn't have any expectations that we were going to get pregnant right away, but we didn't want to delay it anymore, just with both of us were kind of getting started a little bit later than a lot of people do. I wouldn't say late in life, even though the medical term is like what geriatric pregnancy is like thirty two were something ridiculous like that. It's so stupid. It just it means nothing. But you know, we were anxious to kind of start the next chapter. And it took us a long time. Took us a total of about two and a half years, with about five losses of pregnancy throughout at various stages, so a couple that were really early and then a couple were not really early, and it just, it truly was the hardest thing I think that either of us has ever done. Maybe still it just it tested us in such a profound way because for a lot of people I think, who have gone through miscarriages or pregnancy losses, there's at least in the early stage. For us, we felt very private about it. I know my wife in particular was having a really hard time with just battling the concept of there's something wrong with us or something wrong with me, or something wrong with her physically. You know, it's just these kind of little things that are just chipping away at you and for our relationship, so much of this became task orient or goal oriented, where we're trying to get to this place and so we have to do X, Y and Z, and it's just about checking boxes off and just putting our heads down and going through it. And also we had moments where it was difficult for either of us to be there for the other person in the way that each of us needed. I think both of us maybe we're speaking to therapists at the time, but it just, you know, there's moments where you're both just so low, and it's like there are times where she's down and I can pick her up and vice versa. And then there were times where we're both just kind of done and just so low about all of it. And at various times we thought, Okay, we're done, we're not going to try, we're just not meant to have biological children, and then laid in the game, someone else kind of helped us see that. Every time we got a positive pregnancy test. That is something to celebrate, It is something to be We invest in the joy of that moment, even if that means in two weeks this is going to crush us, because grieving for a potential loss was never going to help soften that loss. It was always going to be horrible. So why not take this moment now to just be so excited and happy that we made it this far. And so we did that, and luckily, a couple weeks later she was still pregnant. And then a couple weeks later we had some tests done and everything looked pretty good, and then it just kind of, you know, the good news kept on stacking, and then all of a sudden, she's nine months and almost a day before she's due and it's time, and it just was like, looking back on that now, it's just it feels like it happened to two different people. It's so hard to put myself back in that mindset of when all that was going on. But at the time, and it was, it was all consuming, it was our whole entire lives. Maybe about a year into it, we started feeling like we could talk to other people about it, and there's this shame of around it that I don't even know where it came from. It's like we came from two incredibly loving, supportive parents who just didn't pressure us at all about having kids. It wasn't like our moms were sitting there being like Wenesday, when are you gonna give me a friend of time. It didn't happen, and so it just felt like it just was there, and we felt like I don't own enough of a sob story to be able to talk to somebody else about this. You know, I have friends who had, from the outside seemingly so much harder journeys with getting pregnant, and so we always felt very much like, there's nothing wrong, it's just taking a long time. Let's just kind of keep it to ourselves. And then over time we started speaking to more and more people, and it was just shocking how many women in our lives, very close family members, very close friends, who had gone through this exact same thing or similar things and never talk to us about it. And it's just like there's just not a mechanism other than a podcast about going through ourd stuff, but there's just not as much of a societal mechanism to talk about hardshit in the same way. And I think that there, especially for something that is very personally traumatic but from the outside seems like, oh, well, everybody's gone through this. It was so hard for us not to judge ourselves on this theoretical hierarchy of trauma.
Speaker 2: And then feel the release when you find out there's so many others out there that have been the same thing exactly one.
Speaker 1: And the fact that you guys had the courage to say, hey, we're gonna keep going. Yeah, we're gonna stay committed. And like you said, it's very routine. You got in a routine and it's just proved positive too that celebrate and be completely present regardless of the past. Totally, that's it. And the fact that you guys were able to get to that point, not to say there weren't hard days. Those are guaranteed right even now of course even now, Yeah, I mean that's life. Yeah, but it's a beautiful thing, man, it's a beautiful thing that you guys were able. And not to say that you never had an argument or got into it about it, because we know you're not unicorns, but the fact that at the end of the day you're both still here present to beautiful kids. Yeah, I mean, was the risk worth the reward?
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent was. And I think that you look at your kids too, and we talk all the time about the concept of traveling back in time, and it's just like, there's nothing that I would redo because I've now met these two kids who are just there. Only existence is due to every other decision, every other moment that happened before that, and so it just feels like, yeah, of course it was worth it, because I would do that one hundred times and one hundred times worse to get to these two kids.
Speaker 1: It's the biggest, most undescribable blessing in the world.
Speaker 2: So you were able to accomplish that goal, that desire that you'd always had to be a father. So to bring it back to scuba diving when you got out to California, was this something you also pursued like.
Speaker 4: Everything else, especially when you're the parent of a small child who just I immediately went into the trash heap of like dreams that I have and I'll just revisit those when I'm retired. For my fortieth birthday, my brother in law, really he was the inspiration to get the whole family to basically all contribute and get me a first level certification for diving, because there's a dive shop fifteen minutes away from my house and they dive twenty minutes away from my house. And I'm just like, I've been living in California now for almost ten years and never even just like gave it a second thought of like this thing that I always wanted to do. That for several hundred dollars and a weekend, basically you could just like check that dream off and make it a reality. Now I look back, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what going to be like a ten year diver.
Speaker 4: So they got me that gift certificate and it was, of course in the middle of the pandemic. Finally I was just like, I need to take the time and just do this. I mean, I just I need to devote two weekends to myself. You know, we got help with the kids, and I just went off and made it a reality. And it was right away one of the most amazing and difficult things that I had ever done because I was so bad at it and just balancing all over the place even in the pool. On the first time. They basically like, have you put your face in the water, and then they have you kneel on the bottom and do these skills that are just basically are just kneeling in six feet of water in a pool, and I'm flopping back and forth. Everyone else in the class is just like stock still, and I'm like looking around at these people, just being like, I'm always good at things, why am I so.
Speaker 1: Bad at this?
Speaker 4: And I, rather than discourage me, I was just like, I'm gonna fucking get better at this thing. I'm going to train, I'm going to make this a skill set that I have. And so I kept doing it and kept doing it. And they have a dive club that they meet for just group dives where they'll all go over to Redondo Beach here and go down on these night dives. And I right away I was just like, that's terrifying. I will never do a night dive. That's horrific. Why would you dive at night in the blackness? And then I was probably diving for like a month and a half. Then I was like, I want to try that night, and I went and I was super overwhelmed. And I'm not a great swimmer, which diving obvious choice. I like was getting just like battered by the waves and swallowing saltwater, and I just was like near panic, basically, And I had an instructor who was nearby at the time, who basically was shepherding me, and we went down. I couldn't make it work. He basically called the dive, and then afterwards was like you and me, next weekend, just the two of us were going to go out. We're going to make this work. And so we went out and it was just watching him. Everything was calm, nothing was a problem. Everything was just like, slow it down. You're trying to basically rush through this thing and force your way into being good at it, and what you need to do is take a step back and go slow, and that's all you really need to do. And literally, I just like making that shift. Took a step back, started going slow. It changed everything for me. We had this amazing dive. We saw a ton of octopus, which are like some of my favorite animals, all of these amazing fish, and it's just diving at night. For anyone who hasn't done it, I think it can carry an air of just like the Black Ocean, which is nearly infinite, is out there filled with massive things that want to eat you and you can't see any of them, and you're just going to carry this little flashlight around and be like, I'm fine. And the first time we did that, that's exactly what it felt like. And then for a lot of people who like to camp or anything like that, if you go for walks in the woods at night and you have this pool of light around you and you just kind of that's your whole world. If you sit there and obsess about what it is one hundred feet in that direction, then you're not going to do anything. And so it was just like helping me to kind of be present, be in the moment, focus on this pool of light that is my whole world, and just it.
Speaker 1: It was so magical. I mean you just.
Speaker 4: See in this exact same site that I trained on that you dive and you see maybe one or two fish in a bunch of sand. It's just teeming. I mean, it is just alive at night, and it was everything I had been looking for. I mean, it just is this like solitude, peaceful news, extreme quiet, and also just things that very few people on this planet get to see on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, let's wrap this up so we can go dough Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us about now you finally checked this box of scuba diving and you absolutely love it. Yeah, and you found this piece in it you had a situation happen that changed you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Like I said, I knew that I wanted to get better at it. I knew I wanted to train more. So I enrolled in the advanced class and I had an amazing instructor, really nice group of people that was I think there were six of us, six or seven of us, and there was this one guy in the group who was a little bit older than the rest of us, and he drove me crazy.
Speaker 1: We would like have.
Speaker 4: Our first day and then we went out to drinks with the instructor and it was just like we would ask him questions about, oh, you dove in Utila, what was that like? And before he could even start talking, this guy who call h Mark would just jumped in and like, well, I'm thinking of traveling here, and what is Japan and like all this stuff, and it was just firing question after question, always about himself, always about stuff that wasn't germane to the whatever we were talking about. And I was just like this I can't stand this, dude, I need to like, So we got on the boat. We actually separated into two groups.
Speaker 1: I did my.
Speaker 4: Advance, I got that certification. I was just like, good, I'm done. I'm just going to dive now. And then we'd done a couple night dives after that, and there was this one day that I wasn't going to be able to go something with the kids, like was going to delay me. And it was just one of those things that like now I look back and like all along the way, I was just like, I'm not going to do this.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do it.
Speaker 4: It's just like a reason kept creeping up for me not to do it. And then I was just like, fucking I really want to dive. I'm going to go do this. So I went up and when I get there, there's a group that's already kind of geared up, like finishing up their process, and then him and this guy Mark and the instructor and then this guy who I was just like you walking up obviously it had to be and so and I walk up to the instructor and say hi, and he was like, well, there this other group is getting ready to go out and they're all dive masters and hire, so they're pretty experienced. He's like, if you want to dive with them, you can go with them, or you can stick with us. We're just going to kind of do a tour with this guy Mark, and I in my head said to myself, you need to be a better person here. You need to open yourself up to the possibility that this guy's not just a dick. Yes, he's annoying, whatever, Maybe learn something about him. Don't immediately just place him into the I'm done with you box. And so I decided to dive with them. So I geared up. We go and we discuss the dive plan. And when people dive there, I would say they stay around like sixty to eighty feet of depth, so deep, but not when you're diving, that's not really anything out of the ordinary. Sixty is is very common. So we decided to go a little bit deeper because the sky Mark had never been that deep. I think he had done a night dive before. Anyway, we're going out and we're all kind of fighting current and breathing a little heavy, and when you're doing that, you're going through your air quicker, and then physics comes into play. When you're the deeper you go the faster, your error is consumed because it gets compressed. And so the instructor was checking our air periodically and it was basically Mark, then the instructor, and then me at the back. And I felt very comfortable and I was just happy to kind of trail. So we're diving and we got pretty deep. I think we got to around a hundred feet and the instructor turns around and gives me the sign for my air and I tell em I check, and it was on the lower side, but not anywhere kind of in a risk zone. And I see him turn to Mark and ask him what his air level is. And because of the visibility in your lights, I could see that that was happening. I couldn't see a call in response or anything like that. So he turns back to me and immediately signals for a safety stop, which means you ascend to a safe depth, usually twenty to fifteen feet, and you hang there for three minutes. And that just allows the nitrogen that your body's on gas to dissipate. Basically, you do that to allow all of those gas bubbles to come out of your tissues so they don't get absorbed into your bloodstream and go to your brain or your.
Speaker 1: Cause real problems.
Speaker 4: So I see HIMND signal that we're ascending to a safety stop, and immediately I know that something's not right, because the plan was go out to that depth, turn around, gradually swim up the slope so that as we're going shallower, that processes happen by itself, and it's a much safer way to dive. Ascending at one hundred feet is a little bit complicated. You have to be really careful of your buoyancy because as you get shallower, you speed up too, so you have to basically compensate for the physics wanting to propel you to the surface. And it's night, so it's in pitch black. You know, you have no visual reference for any of that, so you're just staring at your gauges. And basically I knew something was up, but I didn't know what. And I see he starts to ascend for a safety stop. I start looking at my gauges and I'm ascending for my safety stop, and I'm going very slowly because I'm terrified. It's so easy when you're a new diver to just blow past that safety stop and you're out of control. I mean, there's just things that can happen to you. You can have an embolism, so your lungs would basically explode because you're holding on this gas that's expanding inside your body. Those nitrogen bubbles can get absorbed into your bloodstream and can cause real issues. There's a lot that can go wrong that is drilled into you from day one about safety stops, maintaining your buoyancy, and not rocketing to the surface. So basically, all that is to say, we're ascending very slowly, and I can see the instructor on my side, and I'm kind of going up and up, and I hit my safety stop. I do my safety stop, and then I go to the surface and the instructor's on the surface and he's like, where's Mark, And I said, I don't know. I thought he was with you. And he's just looking around, screaming his name. And I look out a little bit out to see I would say, maybe one hundred yards or so, and I can see his dive light, just a green tank marker light floating on the surface, and so we yell Mark, Mark, Mark, and he immediately yells back. Hey, like, okay, swim over to us. We're like, oh, thank god I didn't. He was like, what happened? I said, I don't know. You signal for the safety stop? What hey? He's like yeah, I checked Mark's air and he was extremely low on air. So we're sitting there talking and I'm looking and you know, you're bobbing up and down, and it's night so you can't really see anything but the light, and I notice it's staying a decent distance away and yell at him again, hey, come over to here. He's like, okay, got it, and then is not really moving, and so the instructor says to me, let's swim over to him, just make sure that everything's okay. So we start swimming. We get over there and he's face up, eyes closed, looking like he's sleeping. And I thought he was just messing with us. So then the instructor, who's also a doctor, immediately recognized that something was up, starts trying to revive him, yelling his name, and then turns to me and says, I'm going to do rescue brats. I'm going to swim him into the shore. I need you to get to the shore as fast as you can and get help. And so I just take off and start booking it. And I'm not a good strong swimmer, and I've had very little experience swimming like intensely to try to get help, and so I'm just let alone in the night, right Yeah. Yeah, So I'm just like adrenaline is firing. I am just as everything that I have I am putting into swimming to shore to get help as quickly as I can. And we're probably a good two hundred two hundred fifty yards off shore. It was a decent distance, and we get maybe I would say I'm about fifty yards away, and I start realizing that if I have a problem as I get out, I am not going to be able to solve that. I'm going to get knocked under and I'm going to drown. And so I took a second just to steady myself and just like focus in, slow down, and say, okay, here's what I need to do to get out safely. So I start and then I see a light near me and this other group of divers that had gone out just before us. They surface and I yell marks in trouble, and here's what's happening. And kind of give them a quick I need you to get to shore to get nine to one one. So one of the divers immediately goes to shore.
Speaker 1: The other two.
Speaker 4: Divers, one of whom is also a doctor, start swimming out to where the instructor is trying to swim mark in. I get to shore as well, get all my stuff off, start running up to the stairs. I get to my phone, I call nine to one one. They're like, we've been alerted. Rescues on the way. And as I come back down the stairs, I can already see the fire department ambulance on the beach coming up and they're just getting to the shore dragging him out of the water. And so by the time they got him onto the shore, EMTs were already there, firefighters were already there. They were working on reviving him. And then we stuck around for maybe an hour, had conversations with the Sheriff's apartment. They arrived to start an investigation to figure out what happened, and then they leave. The fire department ambulance leaves and they say, hey, we were just let you know we were able to get a pulse, so we just all immediate relief. Just thank God, obviously something's hopefully he's going to be okay. Yeah, So the next day I had a tattoo appointment. I was getting this massive octopus tattoo to commemorate this milestone that I achieved, finally getting this advance and really just like marking this time in my life. And I'm driving on the way to the appointment because I decided I'm still going to get it. Obviously this happened, This was scary, but it's a nice kind of tie in too to remember that. And I got a text on the way saying, Hey, I just want you to know Mark passed away.
Speaker 1: They were never able to get him revived.
Speaker 4: And I just lost it. I mean I was in my car, I pulled over and just was just shaking and wasn't even really crying as much as just kind of like all of this adrenaline emotion just dumping. And I decided to go through with this tattoo. And it's you know, this is like a two day, five hours at a time, big kind of a thing. And it was super therapeutic because I just sat there and thought. But at the same time, I'm just replaying this event over and over again in my head. Of every single minute of every moment. Why did I dive with them, Why didn't I do this differently? Why didn't I check his air? You know, all of this stuff, and just beating myself up about it. And then they scheduled a memorial for the next day on the beach of Vigil, basically to kind of have our whole community to come together. And his wife was there, and I knew she was going to be there, and they had kind of given me a heads up saying this is going to happen, and so I was really nervous about even being there, but I wanted to apologize for her naturally, bro yeah, yeah, And I wanted to tell her I was sorry and that answer questions I guess if she had any. And someone introduced us, and she immediately just like grabbed me and hugged me and was just like the first thing she said was thank you for bringing him back to me, and just I just lost it and it was like it was more than anything that this woman who lost her husband less than twenty four hours ago was already like taken care of me in that way, already able to see some sliver of hope out of this event. Some part of it that wasn't horrible, and so we just like cried together and we, you know, all kind of had this little storytelling circle where we talked about him and had dinner and drinks and went home. And in the end, you know, after an entire investigation of how it all happened and an autopsy and everything, the answers that we have were that there is nothing that any of us could have done. What we assume happened is that he had a panic event and shot to the surface from one hundred feet and as we know, that can reak havoc on your body. And so, you know, knowing that now, it's still hard not to feel guilty, it's still hard not to be like I could have checked his air ten minutes before that and known that he was low, and we could have turned around. And yes, all of that's true. But at the same time, we all have to be responsible for ourselves. We have to be responsible for our own actions. And all I can do is know, now, moving forward, what are these little tiny steps I could make that can solve small problems so they don't become bigger problems. And so it inspired me to go on to rescue diver and now dive mass and be able to train, be able to render more aid to people, and also just to recommit myself to not allowing kind of a box to be checked and say like, okay that I'm done, I got it advanced, I'm done. I don't need to train anymore. And even I don't think I ever really believed that I was a master of this thing. I don't feel like I'm a master of anything, but I felt like I'm good enough, It's fine, let's move on to the next thing. And it really just kind of woke me up of you are engaging in an activity in a non life supporting environment, so the things that can go wrong go really wrong, really fast, and it's just a matter of kind of being aware of those things and taking what steps you can on the way to be better.
Speaker 3: I want to know, what did you do to take care of your mental state?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I come from a very it's not a stoic family, but I'm from the Midwest, Like you just kind of shove your problems down and smile and be nice to everybody, and you take care.
Speaker 3: Of yourself like this South Sound, Texas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I knew that something was up. I thought I was managing it pretty well, and then I think my son did something really innocuous that he's done a million times before, like dropping a fork while he was eating or something. This is at the time, he was probably like one and a half.
Speaker 1: I think six and a half. It still happens.
Speaker 4: Oh God, why, I just want to leave them with like a bowl of food and be like, you just take care of But he did something super innocuous, and I just I my level of rage that fueled up shocked me. And I didn't blow up at him. I think I got up and I left the room and went to the kitchen. And parenting can be incredibly frustrating a lot of times, but this response that I was having, my heart was racing. I was just angry and ready to just scream at this baby. And I was like, Okay, something's up and I need to deal with this. I am clearly responding to this traumatic event and I needed to talk to someone. And I've been in therapy before. I have very pro therapy across the board for everyone forever, but for myself. Thank God for that though, right Yeah, because to me, there wasn't a stigma attached to it, and I was able to very quickly be like, you need help, and the outside voice, the same one that started firing when Nick was saying, do you want to be a guest on this podcast? My outside voice was, well, I haven't been through anything. None of this is interesting, there's nothing to talk about. Really was happening. Then, it's just like this didn't happen to you. This woman just lost her husband, these kids just lost their father. They're experiencing trauma. You had a hard day and saw somebody have a hard time. But I was able to step back from that and recognize that that's a liar and that boss is not helpful. And so I reached out to a bunch of people who specialized in trauma recovery, and so I met with a therapist who's dealt with a lot of people who have been through all kinds of different trauma. We worked through a technique called EMDR. For me, was a really effective way of kind of processing this event. And also, weirdly, when the Sheriff's department investigator called me to talk through it and basically walk through step by step, that was so therapeutic to me because I was able to just break it all down and work through all of it step by step. And my stepdad's a he's a former share deputy and then a detective, and he was actually at my house. He was in town staying with me when I was on that time. So oh, I came home and he's the first person I talked to, and it was one in the morning. I was able to just immediately kind of do this dump with him, and he's seen a lot and was able to kind of help me walk through it in the moment. So talking to the other sheriff's investigator and then talking through with this therapist was game changing for me because I was able to really work through all the things that happened. I was able to give it its weight, to acknowledge that it had affected me in the way that it had been, and also just clued me into moments of just like, yeah, even when you think that you're fine and you're managing it, my wife knew that I wasn't. My kids knew that I wasn't like I was a different person than they had seen the day before. And I wasn't throwing things. I wasn't punching holes in walls or anything that you kind of see on TV is like this response yeah or whatever, Yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing is, it's like when you're describing the heart rate and adrenaline and it's like, yeah, that's supposed to extress. That's what that is, right, right. You know, I think it's important for people to understand and think again, thank God that you didn't have the stigma associated with that asking for help, because yeah, I mean there's a reason we've been to a lot of funerals, right, that's one of the main ones. Yeah, But being able to have that experience and have that conviction and knowing, Okay, I know that this isn't right and I need to do something about it because I'm not sure how to crawl out of this. The fact that you did it is one commendable and courageous. So congratulations for that, because that's what I tell most people, Hey, acknowledging it is step one and most oftentimes so hard to step. And then the fact that you were able to get into EMDR, which we're very familiar with, and for our listeners who don't know that it's basically a talk therapy that implements an eye movement technique. It's highly effective. The studies on it is pretty impressive, and it's so rad The way that you're able to find victory in your vulnerability and refuse to be a hostage to your pride is so cool. And the fact that you're now a dive master, I think it's so cool, like you had every reason in the world to go, you know what, that's that I've done it, not doing it anymore, I'm out, And you're now a dive master. Bro. That's inspirational, just straight up. That's the very definition of inspiration.
Speaker 3: Can I Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I truly to echo what Jake said, you know, I truly appreciate you having the courage to come on and tell the story as you stated, and as we've talked about, you know, talking whether you have the means and the ability to speak to a professional or not. Sometimes just talking things out, just getting them off your chest.
Speaker 1: It really lifts that brick one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Do you still communicate with Mark's wife?
Speaker 4: She's just been unbelievably amazing. And I went to his funeral or they had a memorial service for his friends and family, and a couple of us from the dive community went and it was just it was amazing. I mean it was just one person after another getting up and he had all of these interests. I mean, he was like a college professor and he did sports and was interested in woodworking and all this stuff. And you kept hearing people from his life talk about this burning curiosity that he had that drove everything, and a number of people talking about like, you know, it was really irritating sometimes because you just wouldn't let something go and wouldn't and it was just like such an amazing kind of eye opening experience to who this person was, a validation of opening myself and trying to check my own judgmental brain. It was incredibly sad because it was just the loss of the opportunity to really know this person I may not have without this experience. But his wife was there and just again the second I walked in, I brought my wife came with me, and the second I walked in, she just gave us both this huge hug. She thanked us again. She just has been so unbelievably generous throughout this experience, and so we've maintained contact. We just met right before the holidays to just kind of talk and check in, and it was incredible and she is very open about the fact that she lost her best friend and that this is not it's not like she's coming to me and just like, you know, everything's great. She's really honest about going through it. But it has been so inspirational to me to be able to see her right away just recognize that this is somebody who pursued something that he loved. And I don't think that anybody who dies following a passion is like, oh, I was really happy to die scuba diving, you know, It's just like he died doing what he loved. It's like it's always going to suck to die, I think for most of us. But I just her ability to just kind of look on the other side and say that this is somebody who was you know, I think he was in his sixties and just was still going after things that he was passionate about. And all of these people clearly had loved him and experienced that drive and that curiosity, and that that was incredibly inspirational to me.
Speaker 1: The human connection, when done properly, oftentimes based on something traumatic, is to me one of the most beautiful things that a human being can experience. And you know, the fact that you guys still have a relationship and you're able to hold forward together. People don't understand the how invaluable, how rare, and how beautiful that is. And I want to go back. I think it's a very important point to touch on quickly when you had that experience with your son. I think it's important for people to understand that post traumatic stress is nothing more than a normal reaction to an otherwise abnormal situation. You're completely normal, You're not abnormal, right right. And I think that's where people get so caught, is they're like, oh, something's wrong with me, and I'm fundactally right. No. It is a built in self protection mechanism. I just think it's important to point that out because so many people are like, no, no, no, no, I'm just going to Midwest it or I'm going to South it, and He's say no, no, no, don't do that. Don't do that, because all you're doing is adding to the pressure cooker. This is one of my hands down, one of my favorite episodes. I just want to say it while we're live right now.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I find is just so beautifully ironic is that when we first were talking about your childhood. You mentioned that you were ever curious about everything, and you would always want to know about this and you would dive into it, and then to come full circle and here you are at this memorial service for this gentleman that at the beginning you weren't too fond of.
Speaker 3: But then to hear he was exactly like you.
Speaker 2: I know. And aren't we as humans just masters of putting up these walls or these judgments, or maybe it was instilled in us as a child from our upbringing, whether it be the South.
Speaker 3: Or the North or wherever it might be.
Speaker 2: But to break those barriers down and to really just see people eye to eye humans and experience that love. I just I agree with Jake. I'm just I'm inspired right now. And thank you again for your courage to come and tell this story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, the it's been. It's just I am. We are no ship. Next time we're there making time and we're frigging diving together and you're going to I'm not going at night though, I don't care if it's easy.
Speaker 3: Wait to Creepy Crawley Dove.
Speaker 1: I will die with you anywhere anytime. Say the word amazing.
Speaker 3: He's got one good leg that circles.
Speaker 4: I know there's a lot of people who are doing with a mono fin just a single thing to do that, and then there's scooters and all kinds of stuff underwater too that you can make it easier for yourself.
Speaker 2: You would look great as it in a merman merman cost. Don't thrown me with a good time, Oh Randie, thank you so much. Thank you for being on the good stuff, and thank you for sharing story with all of us and encouraging and inspiring us today.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I so appreciate that you guys are doing this and that you're giving space for these type of conversations because, like I said, it's just it's rare, and I feel like even just putting this out into the world in this way is just making a difference and it's I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you man, listen. Didn't really know you before this, and I'm like, we like our people. Collections stock just went up. That's awesome, no doubt about it. So thank you, brother. We really appreciate it, and I am super stoked to go dive with you soon. Awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening. If this episode touched you today, please share it. And be part of making someone else's day better.
Speaker 1: Put on your bad ass capes and go be great today. And remember you can't do epic stuff without epic people. Thank you for listening to the good Stuff.
Speaker 2: The Good Stuff is executive produced by Ashley Shick, Jacob Schick, Leah Pictures and q Coode Media, Hosted by Ashley Shick and Jacob Schick, Produced by Nick Cassellini and Ryan cants House Post production supervisor Will Tindi. Music editing by Will Haywood Smith, edited by Mike Robinson,