Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about Sorority life with your hosts me Gia Judice.
Speaker 2: Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Kessler.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, and welcome to Dirty Rush, where we are giving you the inside scoop on sorority life. In this episode, we are talking about standards. Standards is basically a group of people who run a committee.
Speaker 3: And basically punish you on your behavior.
Speaker 1: There is proper etiquette and proper behavior that is necessary while being in a sorority.
Speaker 3: And we are.
Speaker 1: Going to dive deep, have some callers calling in and telling us their standard story and at the end maybe you'll hear a story from me. I have a celebrity guest here with me today, Mercedes north Up.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Dirty Rush. Excited to be here, so excited to have you here.
Speaker 5: So new announcement. You just launched your podcast. Yes, famously available with Ben. It has been so much fun, having fun. It's all about dating, so you know.
Speaker 4: Getting back into the dating room.
Speaker 5: Yes, girl, I'm back in there. It's so scary, but I'm ready.
Speaker 3: Honestly, this is.
Speaker 4: So fun though. Yes, the dating podcast.
Speaker 1: You're kind of just doing the intros right now, but then you're gonna get into dating, like went on dates via podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which is so crazy interesting. So I kind of took a break from dating. I haven't dated in like two years, which is a long time. I needed time just to like, I don't know, I went through I had a really bad situation ship again, you know. So I had two years off and I was like, I saw my mom. I'm like, I think the next time, Like I'm going to go on a date, Like they're setting me up on a day I need to like get ready. So I'm clienting my practice date on Saturday. The poor guy doesn't know it, but who knows.
Speaker 1: Maybe this practice yining armor literally know, Oh.
Speaker 4: My god, I love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah okay, so my fingers crossed for the date on side. Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'll keep you updated.
Speaker 1: So Dirty Rush, you know that it's all about sorority life, and we kind of just talk about the good, the bad, the ugly and really get into the truth about sorority life.
Speaker 4: So where did you go? Were you in a sorority?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: What was your experience?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 4: So I went to Iowa State and stayed in state.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, yeah, yep, went i of state study fashion. It was like, I loved that school. It was so much fun. But I honestly didn't know much about recruitment, but I a few Are you the oldest?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And my mom was like having fifteen, Like she didn't go to college. So I was like, my moss one nothing when I.
Speaker 4: Don't you have to pay deuce? She goes what was like, what is that? Yeah? Literally, you're rushing a sorority. What's that?
Speaker 7: Literally?
Speaker 6: That was me.
Speaker 5: I had no idea what I was doing, what I was getting myself into. But my roommate she was like, I'm doing it, like you should do it with me, And I'm like, okay, like sure, why not?
Speaker 4: Like that's just what it is.
Speaker 5: Went through recruitment, had a really good recruitment process, honestly, and my top three were the Z, Kapa and tried delt Okay, and then pref Night, I went Kappa and DZ, and then I ended up going DZ. Bitted them, they bitted me, so that's where I went, and I loved d Z. It was so much fun. I met like all my best friends, but there was some issues too.
Speaker 4: They were very.
Speaker 5: Hard on us sometimes, like just having like certain things that we could do and couldn't do. And I was, you know, a freshman. I'm like, I'm literally in college. I this is my time to like do what I want, Like let me go to a party, let me post a beer in the.
Speaker 4: Oh, and you couldn't and we would get fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh my, I gotta say I was stayed in standards. Oh my gosh, like I was sending my ass to standards.
Speaker 1: They really did, but it was until you were initiated, after initiation, then you were able to write no.
Speaker 5: Oh no, No, they were very strict. Maybe they didn't want that image. It's just so crazy because we were like cut it on the party house, okay, but they like were very but like the Yeah, they were strict.
Speaker 4: And you were in your sorority all four years.
Speaker 5: No, I actually dropped my junior year, did you just because I was getting I was tired of getting fined like random things like I don't even remember what I got fined for, but I was like I'm not paying that, like I'm not doing this anymore. Like and it was just so expensive.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, sometimes it's a money grab.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think my dues were like three hundred dollars if you a month and then if you missed, which as a college students like pretty expensive, Like I was paying for it, So that was that. And then also like if you missed, what's it? Why am I forgetting what it's called? Like chapter chapter? They find you like one hundred dollars. Yeah, I'm not doing that. And I loved going home and like being with my family, and it was always on Sundays.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, after it was always on Sunday, always on Sundays.
Speaker 1: I hated that when I would go home for Sunday dinner and I had to leave to go to chapter That's.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I would have to like request, like, can I go on zoom today for this chapter meeting? I would always say, Now, sometimes we were in drafter for five.
Speaker 5: Minutes, I know, and they needed to do Yeah, it's so dope, they needed five minutes. Yeah, but yeah, I was just over the fighting and over getting in trouble with them.
Speaker 4: So I was like, I'm just going to drop.
Speaker 3: Sarah, Welcome to Dirty Rush.
Speaker 4: Hi, thanks for having me so excited to hear your story.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So I think I kind of have a unique like experience because when I was in college, I went to a really big public school in LA.
Speaker 8: Some people might know it.
Speaker 4: It's U C.
Speaker 11: L A.
Speaker 3: And oh was sick.
Speaker 8: And I like definitely loved my experience.
Speaker 10: But I so much so that I was president of my sorority. And so when I was president, I served on standards. A big reason why a lot of people got called into standards was because a lot of our events were off campus at different venues around the city in La, and so there would be these long bus rides where people would heavily pregame prior to these bus rides to these events, and every single event, without fail, somebody would throw up on the bus. And we had members of our sorority called like sober sisters sober monitors, whose role was to like, of course make sure everyone was safe and okay, but also to like give trash back to anyone on the bus that would looked like they were about to throw up, and then also like report them back to the sorority if they did throw up, because like then the sorority would have to pay that huge fine or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was a.
Speaker 10: Big standards call in and I, yes was president, was serving on the on board of standards. Prior to that, had been called into standards for throwing up on a bus. I was a freshman and I was actually supposed to be a sober monitor. Oh no, yeah, so it was really bad. It was like, not only did you throw up on the bus, but you.
Speaker 3: Also you were watching everywhere.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Was not my proudest moment, but that that's my standard story.
Speaker 4: That is so funny.
Speaker 1: Girls got brought to standards because they were encouraging me to drink on midnight.
Speaker 8: When you were just when you had just basically like.
Speaker 1: Just went home, like I just went to Zeta, I just got my bid, Like we ran home and it was midday, so we were all just like having a big party in the house.
Speaker 3: And to be.
Speaker 10: Honest, though, were you did you feel peer pressured or were you oh take part?
Speaker 3: No, like one hundred percent, I felt here pressured. Oh you did no good drink like no, because I knew I wasn't supposed to.
Speaker 1: But somehow standards got wind of it, and then my older sisters got in trouble because they were.
Speaker 3: Like, like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: This is obviously unacceptable, And then that girl literally had to write an apology.
Speaker 3: Letter to me.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but obviously it was a big deal to the sorority because for liability purposes.
Speaker 10: Then it's like when Standard catches you, then what do they do with you to punish you? This Standard punishment was like you have to be a sober sister again.
Speaker 1: I think that was the main punishment for Zeta too. It was either like they would take away some mixture, some mixers you weren't able to go out, or like they made you a sober monitor for the next eight party. And obviously if you got that, you were pissed because your night was ruined. I think Standards definitely has their normal protocol and what they follow. I think the end goal is just to make you more like a better and more responsible person in the long run.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Sarah, This.
Speaker 1: Was awesome, but I'm glad you made a step up. You went from throwing up on the bus on the way to a day party to then becoming.
Speaker 3: The president of your sorority.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that shows growth. This is exactly what the sororities wanted. Miranda, Welcome to Dirty Rush.
Speaker 9: Thank you so much. When you say the word Standards, I get chills in my body. It literally brings back trauma feelings. No, I hate that, yeah, in a funny way.
Speaker 1: But I feel like everyone felt like that when they got called to standards.
Speaker 9: It's so true because no one gets called in for a great reason. And our standards was made up of our friends, sisters, and then an advisor or two, so it was pretty intense and my funny enough. When I was in my aurority, my sister was also in the same southrority and she was on standards.
Speaker 1: She probably like internally wanted to kill you, like, oh my god, my sister just getting called.
Speaker 9: The honest truth is I wish it was for an exciting, fun reason, like a behavioral one. But I was called in with my sister to standards. And again she was on standards because our bills were never paid because my dad is just a very fun kind of traveling guy who just would completely forget or not send in the paycheck or the building. So we would get called in together. And again she was on standards because our bills were not being paid. And I remember sitting there thinking, I'm nineteen, I have, you know, twenty dollars at best in my pocket, Like I don't know what to do about this. Yeah, And it was just very awkward, hilarious experience because it was my friends saying pay your bill and saying, okay, call my parents because I barely have money for dinner this week. When I hear standards now, it just brings up a little PTSD because it was not fun.
Speaker 1: Looking back at standards, I feel like they were just trying to constantly teach you a lesson.
Speaker 9: I so agree. I think there were so many lessons being in authority and learning to live with all the girls and absolutely standards was is reality.
Speaker 2: Hi guys, it's Jen Fessler here with another standard story.
Speaker 6: Here on Dirty Rush.
Speaker 2: We have Elizabeth today who's going to talk to us about her experience that she had in terms of standards and what happened and how it all went down.
Speaker 11: So Hi Elizabeth, Hi, Okay, Yes, So my standards story was kind of the typical of posting with alcohol, not being able to post.
Speaker 8: With alcohol, and I knew that. But basically, in my sorority, we have an Instagram account and it's a normal girl's name, but if they comment a heart on your post, it means delete that post immediately and we won't say anything to you, and it's all good. But my ambitious self was like, Oh, they're gonna forget about that. They're not gonna remember they commented a heart, So I did not delete that post. And then I posted again with what looked like a lemonade cup. It could have been a lemonade cup, but it was alcohol. And they commented another heart on my post, and so I was like, oh, no, like two hearts. Now, I should probably delete it, but I didn't.
Speaker 6: Why didn't you?
Speaker 8: I don't know. I think I was just kind of like, it looks like lemonade, like, and I was like, this is such a double standard. So many of them post with alcohol, like and they it's just a favorite thing. They pick the people they want to call the art and then they pick people that they're like, oh, they can get away with it.
Speaker 2: So it was almost like you're almost not giving them a fu but kind of like you were sort of standing up for yourself in say so it wasn't.
Speaker 6: As if you were just like, they won't notice. It was more like, no, this is not fair.
Speaker 8: I think it was a little bit of both, Like the first time it was like, oh, they won't notice, and then the second time it was like, this is so annoying. I keep seeing all these people in my sorority posting with alcohol as well, and all these posts are not getting hearts on it, Like why am I getting a heart comment? So and of course I'm like thinking my private story on Snapchat is like a safe place to go. So I'm like, they're trying to take my like rights away. I can post it right want whatever?
Speaker 2: In I mean, I'm not, I don't even I don't think that's so out of the realm of.
Speaker 6: Right and true. You should be able to post what you want.
Speaker 2: Although I get that, I guess you know what you guys post is in some way or reflection problems. When I was I was in a sorority a million and ten years ago, we didn't have social media. But was it also is it a particularly fun post? Were you like, I love this post. I don't want to take it down?
Speaker 8: It was a semester recap, so I was like, okay, I have to take.
Speaker 6: The time on it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, And it was like yeah, And I think this was before the Instagram update of like you can delete one like slide out of your post, So this was before you can.
Speaker 6: That's good for me to know you can do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but before you couldn't do that. So I was like, oh, this is my semester post, like I'm whatever, right, right, yeah, But then they DM me and I'm like still in this stubborn state of mind of like I just won't open it. It doesn't stay seen if I don't open it. So like, so this Instagram account DMS meat like, I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Want to meet your mom. I want my daughter to be just like that. She is actually like this.
Speaker 8: I think my mom would be so upset with me. Really, she was just delete it. It's Instagram, and I'd be like.
Speaker 6: Maybe she's right.
Speaker 2: I don't even know, but I'm kind of like, I'm just happy to hear about you not letting yourself get pushed around.
Speaker 6: Although yeah you did, Okay, I'll let you finish your story.
Speaker 8: So then anyways, I'm like, oh, I got away with it, but little did I know. I get a standards email. So I think every school does a different but for mine, we get an email and it's like come an hour before chapter on Sundays and you just go into this room and they basically tell you what you did. Some people go in there like completely blind, like I don't even know what I did. I obviously had all of this right, and I did. So I go into this meeting. It's the president, risk chair, the standards committee, just like all of them, and I'm like, basically in.
Speaker 6: A circle or do they like you have to face them all.
Speaker 8: It's just like around a table and you just sit down one of the chairs. It's actually like pretty chill at my school. They don't make it very crazy, but it is a little bit intimidating sitting down with like the president of your sorority and you know exactly what you did and so yeah, so they just sat me down and they were like listen, like we commented the hearts, you know, the drill, we DMD you, I know, you didn't open it, like they knew exactly what it was right, And I was just like I'm sorry, yeah, it won't happen again. I'm just explaining that. And then there has to be a repercussion for everything, basically with standards. And so they had me write a ham written paper like a letter to them basically saying how exactly what you said before, like this is a reflection of us as a chapter. This isn't just because we want you to take down your Instagram post and I was like, okay, that's okay, I'll do that. So it had to be a handwritten letter, and I had to bring it into chapter the week after on Sunday. And so in this letter, I'm just like, this won't happen again. I understand this is a reflection of my sorority. I committed to something, like just kind of writing what they want to hear, like it's an Instagram post. I don't really care. And then yeah, so then you have to bring it in the next week into chapter and hand it to them. But of course you're walking into chapter with a piece of paper, and everyone knows what this means, like it's anyone.
Speaker 6: Really cares, and everyone like kind of laughing about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a laughing matter. It's not like, oh my gosh, blah blah blah. I mean so many people have to do this. Half my friends had to do stuff because they didn't show up to events that were mandatory and they had to write letter saying that it's really rude to commit to something and then whatever. So it's all hand written letters. But when you're showing up to chapter with a ham written letter, like everyone knows that you went to standard right right my eyes, I'm like slyly handing my piece of the person.
Speaker 6: For you embarrass did you feel?
Speaker 2: I mean, I just think I'm thinking about why they make you do it that way, Like why they make you walk into chapter with it, yeah, written in front of everyone and hand it over. I mean it's so obviously too I'm sorry to say, but you may not agree, but to kind of shame you a little bit.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I think half of it is. But I also think my sorority is like traditional with a lot of things. We don't like to do a lot of stuff on technology. So I think maybe the traditional part of it is like oh hamdwritten letter. It's a little bit more like authentic and like you mean it rather than like chat gbting something or whatever. Yeah, but I think that actually, like physically handing it to them during chapter is definitely like oh.
Speaker 2: We're gonna shame yeah exactly.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, were you upset you? Did it take any Did it take a toll on you?
Speaker 8: I think I'm just like my stubborn self was like they got me, Like it didn't upset me, but I was just like, yes, of course I couldn't get away that's so funny. Yeah, like so many people get away with stuff like that, though. I mean like I was a sophomore when that happens, so a little bit of me was like, okay, just whatever, You're still an underclassman, like this happens, maybe you can get away with it junior and senior year if you really want to again. But I just think some of it's kind of like I didn't know anyone in the standards committee or like the risk chair or anything. Like, I wasn't friends with them, so they weren't going to like favor me like they favorite their friends, Like.
Speaker 6: Can you say that to them? Like can you say other? Really?
Speaker 8: Well, I wouldn't personally, yeah, but I'm sure people wouldn't like balls. People would, But I personally was just like, okay, I'll write this letter like write worries.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I get that. I get that just wasn't worth it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it wasn't worth it to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it's funny. I want to have my daughter, come on, she has a story about standards. Well, I should say we do, because she got called in to standards her senior year for something that happened to her. But instead of like there being any kind of real talk with her or like what happened She just got an email she had to go in front of standards and really inappropriate because at some point you all are grown women and your mommies should probably stay out of it.
Speaker 6: But I completely lost my shit, and I knew it was.
Speaker 2: Just like, there's no they haven't even heard what you had to say, and standards. I guess she could have told them what she had to say, but standards is almost like you've done something wrong. Yeah, and anyway, so I called, I guess I called the house mother.
Speaker 6: What are they called, yeah, the house mother, house mother? And this is completely unacceptable.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: She was so upset because and I'm hoping that she will come out and tell her story. I don't want to tell it for her, but it was really something that happened to her, and a really an awful thing.
Speaker 6: Anyway, so.
Speaker 2: I said, I don't really get this. These are the whole point of this is that you meet these girls and they become your sisters. First, like want to get behind you, talk to you what happened before bringing you in front of a disciplinary committee. It just seemed egregious to me, and I was like just pissed. I was like, what is this for if it's not to find people that are going to be on your side, not for everything.
Speaker 6: When you do something wrong, you do something wrong.
Speaker 2: But she hadn't, and so it just made it worse that she was getting called into Sanders. Needless to say, they said, you're absolutely right, she doesn't have to come in and thought what you did for them because I was ready to go down.
Speaker 8: There and yeah, they didn't want to deal with you exactly.
Speaker 6: Good for Rachel too, because I would mortified her. But I you know, I think that probably.
Speaker 2: For a lot of young women girls that it is really scary and it's intimidating, and I'm glad to hear you guys just kind of sat or sit around a round table. I think sometimes it's even more it's like meant to be intimidating.
Speaker 8: A little bit. Yeah, I think so, you know, mm hmm, yeah. I think especially like just seeing your president and like people who are supposed to be like risk chair and all of that in front of your face.
Speaker 2: So I mean I think that you know, you join a sorority to be part of this sisterhood and to know that all of these girls have your back right, And I'm again I'm not taking away from the fact that if you screw up and you are doing something that is reflecting badly on your sorority, that there shouldn't be consequences for that.
Speaker 6: I absolutely know that that's true.
Speaker 2: And even back in my day, even though there was in social media, you know, there was like a love you could get in trouble, you can get thrown out, whatever it was. But I don't know, I feel like maybe I'm a little biased because of what happened to my daughter. But let's first like talk about it without going to standards, you know, before we go to a disciplinary committee, like what happened. Maybe not in your case because if there was hard m I'm kind of giving them the little fingers, the middle fingers, So maybe not.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, no, they definitely gave me warnings. But I will say that is true because people who go in there blind and like have no clue what they did. Like that's intimidating, and that's got to be like who knows what they're about to say to me, But like would be the worst day of my life could be okay, and you just don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the end of the day. The worst thing that they that could happen is that they can kick you out, right, Yeah, I mean I guess they're also well I'm sure do you Priory talked about it.
Speaker 6: But there's things that they can do.
Speaker 2: I mean whatever, I don't know what in your sorority, what are your what are the consequences?
Speaker 6: There are probably a different levels.
Speaker 8: I would think, Yeah, you could be on probation, which I don't really know what those all entail, like with details, but yeah, you could be on probation for a little bit, or you could like not be able to go to a formal, which is the fun part obviously, right right, right, So they definitely have different consequences. I think mine was like one of the lesser versions of what they do. I know a lot of my friends who have had to go also have to write hand written letters. So I didn't think that was crazy that I had to do that.
Speaker 7: She was grateful for.
Speaker 8: But yeah, they could have told me, like you're not going to this next formal like whatever, But yeah, they didn't do that.
Speaker 6: Thank god. I'm so glad.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that is the fun part.
Speaker 2: Well, anything else any other ideas or thoughts about standards, your experience.
Speaker 8: I mean with me, that was the only time I've gone I will say that like a girl. I know we've talked about like shame and everything, and I don't think that's their intention with everything that they do. So I want to like take it with a grain of salt type of thing, like I know a lot of my friends who have gone through like emotional stress and all of that get called into standards, which, like you were saying with your daughter, that's not a great thing that they're getting called into standards because it makes it seem like they did something wrong. But when they actually are in the meeting, standards will be like, hey, we're here for you and we want to provide resources, but to kind of get you in like an area where we could all be with you. And this is just like the protocol. So I know that they do definitely help with that. They probably should go about it in a different way and not call it a standards meeting.
Speaker 6: But listen, I'm glad to hear that.
Speaker 2: I really am you for clarifying that, because again, like when I when my daughter went through it, I was like, you're getting called into what, yeah, stand in front of who I don't think so so yeah, no, I hear you if it's if that is, I mean, I think girls probably do still get scared, you know, oh yeah for sure, which I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't love. I mean, you should feel like you're talking to your sisters, yes, you know, per se.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're also talking to girls your own age, Like, I mean a couple of them were older than me, like the president and stuff. But I was like, why am I next to someone who I literally just rushed with and she's telling me what my consequences? That's so awkward.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Do you ever be on a committee on standards committee?
Speaker 8: No? Because I don't think I could do that to people that I'm like really good friends with. I don't know, it's so awkward. And I've heard the stories of like it gets complicated with friends and like if your roommates with them, and it kind of gets weird, like are you gonna do the same things that you would do before they were on this committee? Like I don't want my friends to have to like hold back from their like lives just because I'm on this like committee, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I only think people would do it because it looks good on your resume.
Speaker 8: Maybe right, Yeah, it is great. It's a leadership position. It probably does look really good on a resume, but otherwise, yeah, I just wouldn't want like my friends or people to not do or act as they normally would around me, just because I'm like.
Speaker 6: I don't want to do either. Yeah, yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Elizabeth, thank you, sweet girl, thank you for coming on. I'm glad that you escaped a bigger punishment and right and I could do everything.
Speaker 6: And that you still go into the normals.
Speaker 8: Yes, I am saying I'm trouble good for you.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you so much, and we love talking to you. Thanks everybody gus listening. And girls, don't post things that you don't want to get in trouble for. That's the moral of this story. Okay, so now we have Rowan Rowan. Hi there, how are you doing? Hi?
Speaker 7: I'm good. How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm good. I appreciate you calling in from abroad. Where are you?
Speaker 12: I'm in Portugal right now, but I study rod in Florence.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: How great is that?
Speaker 7: Yes, it's amazing. I love it.
Speaker 6: I'll bet do they have standards in Florence?
Speaker 7: No, they don't good day.
Speaker 8: Nice.
Speaker 2: That's nice. That's a good thing. So Rowan, do you want to share where you go to school?
Speaker 7: Yes, I go to UCLA.
Speaker 6: You're brainiac just a little bit, very nice, Okay.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we've been doing a lot of talking about standards and different young women experiences, so I love for you to share yours.
Speaker 7: Yes, of course I would love to share mine.
Speaker 12: Basically, I this is my first time ever getting called into standards for my sorority. I had been at a frat event and I had just seen some stuff on the internet that was funny about people stealing composites and people I don't know doing silly things when they were out, and I thought it would be funny to steal a composite off of the wall because they were in the middle of the hallway and no one was inside. Everyone was outdoors, So I thought it would be funny, and I was talking to one of my friends about it, and she told me that I should do it, and I was like, okay, but I don't want to do it by myself, and she didn't want to do it with me, and so then I was like, I mentioned it to some one of my other friends and she said that she was. She wanted to do it with me, so we both just decided to pick one, a random one close to the door to escape, and we ripped it off of the wall and ran out of the house. And then I was worried about getting I was worried about stealing it and not returning it, like I wanted them to have it back. I just thought it was funny in the moment, so I left it on the side of the road next to their house because we were worried about I mean, they're pretty expensive, and I was just I felt bad. There's people on it, and people that their pictures are taken and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: Year from my ear do you remember? Was it from a long time ago?
Speaker 12: I think the picture was twenty eleven, so it wasn't too recent, but it.
Speaker 6: Wasn't too old, okay, so it was like a.
Speaker 12: Little in between. But we left it on the side of the road. And then I think it got circular.
Speaker 7: Someone found it.
Speaker 12: On the side of the road and it got I think it got maybe returned to them, But anyway, I had i'd been a while and then I had received an email from my sorority that had basically said it said dear Rowan, you are called into a meeting with standards for your actions at said frat.
Speaker 7: Please meet with us at this time.
Speaker 12: And that's when I started to freak out a little bit because I had never been called into standards before, right, and I did not know what to expect because I was a freshman in college and it was something that I was so new to that I was like, I don't know how they're gonna punish me, Like, I don't know how'm gonna get bined.
Speaker 7: I don't know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 12: And so my friend had gotten the same email, and so after chapter we get called into this room.
Speaker 2: Well, when she got the same email, did you guys then think, okay, so this is probably about the composite.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think, I assume.
Speaker 12: Because it had said the fraternity's name, I knew that it was probably in regards to this, and since we both got the same email, we kind of connected the dots and were like, this is probably what it's for.
Speaker 7: They didn't stay specifically in the email.
Speaker 12: I think what I was being called in for just I was being called in for something, and then I.
Speaker 7: Think they they mentioned it in the meeting.
Speaker 12: Once I got there, they were like, this is why you've been called in. But I in the email they didn't say that got it, but I kind of figure that it was right. Yeah, And then I went into the meeting and they had basically asked me why I did it, and I had explained that I it was really sorry and I regret doing it, and that it was I thought it was funny, but it was kind of a stressful meeting.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 12: And then I thought, and then they told me that I had to write a letter to the fraternity president to apologize.
Speaker 2: But by the way, you have to forgive me because at the beginning of this, I thought you had stolen a composite off of the sorority house.
Speaker 6: I didn't realize you stole it.
Speaker 2: Now it is funny now, I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 12: Yes, because if I had taken one out of the sorority it would have been I think a little bit less problematic because.
Speaker 7: It would be my own house.
Speaker 12: Because it was not my own house, so it was a little bit problematic.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, I can't why you'd have to go to standards for that. Yeah, nice move, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: It was fun.
Speaker 12: It was fun I thought it was funny, and I still think it's funny.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but the whole reason So when I.
Speaker 12: Got into Standards, I at first was kind of like, how did they know I personally did this? Like because I was seen by nobody, Like no one had watched me do it and it.
Speaker 7: Was just me and my front No. I got caught on.
Speaker 12: The security cameras outside of their front door and they had a full video of us running out the door with the It was a huge composite, like it had to take of us to carry it, and it was a It was a video of us like running out the doors down the steps, and that's how I got caught.
Speaker 7: And they had like pulled it up and were like is this you? And it was me. But that's basically.
Speaker 12: How I got caught and got sent to standards because the frat, I guess, sent it and we're like do you know who this is?
Speaker 7: And it was me and my friend, which is crazy.
Speaker 6: So what were the consequences?
Speaker 12: I had been told I was going to get fined and that I had to write a letter to the fraternity president stating my apology, and it was two pages long and I had to sign it and address him, and then I was told I was going to get fined and billed by the frat.
Speaker 7: But I had never received.
Speaker 12: That fine, like the billing from the fraternity, because I found out that it was because they were too lazy to actually send me the bill, like they just didn't want to go through the process.
Speaker 7: Of I guess billing us.
Speaker 12: But it was going to be a crazy amount, like five plus dollars because I think composites cost like two thousand dollars, so we were gonna have to split the fine and then it getting billed to us. But I guess they never even they didn't I guess didn't care enough, were too lazy, didn't want to send us the bill, so I never got billed, but I still had to write a letter, right, I still got sent to Stanford.
Speaker 6: The boys never even sent you the bill. No, rat boys are the best.
Speaker 12: Yes, And I didn't have to pay five hundred dollars, which was amazing for my bank account.
Speaker 6: Yeah, from your bank account. You wouldn't have lost your parents.
Speaker 12: No, No, I have not told my parents. They still do not know to this day.
Speaker 6: That would have been I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think my kids would have told me and I would have said, well, that sucks for you that you have to pay it.
Speaker 6: I still think it's funny.
Speaker 12: Wait, yeah, I think my mom would have had the same reaction of that sucks for you and you have to pay that.
Speaker 6: But yeah, yeah, you know it's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of really kind of scary stories scary standards, so I actually appreciate hearing this one.
Speaker 6: Because it makes me giggle. It doesn't feel really that serious, and it's.
Speaker 2: Something that you would have absolutely done at your age, and I would probably do it to me.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and now you have a story, yes, exactly, a story that I'll have for the rest of my life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 7: Of course, thank you for having me ate it.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, now let's get into my standard story. So my standard story is a little different than the norm. It happened season eleven of Real Housewives in New Jersey, which aired in twenty twenty one. So in that episode of Real Housewives in New Jersey, my mom and Jackie were arguing.
Speaker 3: My mom heard a cheating rumor.
Speaker 1: And Jackie goes, that's like me hearing that Gia snorts coke in the bathroom att parties.
Speaker 3: My mother flipped out like that was. It was obviously like a.
Speaker 1: Very insane statement to make, regardless if it was an analogy or not, like you're talking about somebody's child and drugs, Like, there was just a lot wrong with that statement, and it blew up.
Speaker 3: So twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: One, it was my junior year of college and my friend was on Standards and Zeta got wind of it that this was out there, and they said to my friend, do you think we should call Gia in to standards to ask her one if I do coke in the bathroom and two.
Speaker 3: If she's okay?
Speaker 1: If she's okay, It was just kind of there, Oh, let's be nice, make sure that like her mental health is in check. They really wanted to know if I did coke in the bathroom, And my friend on Standards looked at them and just basically said, this is a bad idea. Gia is going to be so mad that you are bringing her mom's show and something that didn't involve her, but a comment was made about her, and now you're bringing that into her.
Speaker 3: College sorority life.
Speaker 1: My friend knew that I was going to be so pissed, so she warned me I was going to be pulled into standards. I was pissed, and I'm sitting on this zoom call with like a straight face, and they go, Gia, like, we saw what was what has been on the tabloids and what just aired on Bravo.
Speaker 4: Do you.
Speaker 1: Participate in doing the drug cocaine? And I was like, no, I do not do coke. And they saw just how like unfazed I was and how pissed I was, and it kind of ended there. It was a very quick phone call, but it just annoyed me. That's something so avoidable and a very stupid comment that was obviously made on The Real Housewives in New Jersey affected me in my college life and just that people were talking about it. And also the girls in my sorority knew that I didn't engage in cocaine. They knew that I didn't do the drug. So it was just such a crazy statement and such a crazy question to ask me. You didn't have to bring me to standards for that. It would And they blamed it on NASH. They said that Nationals got involved and wanted them to clarify and just ask me about the topic, and I was like, also, you know, if you guys really knew me, and they all were out with me all the time at mixers day parties, like you knew the girls that did drugs or you like you just you knew. They knew that I never participated in any of that. So that's what got me even more mad, because I'm like, oh, what did you guys just get off on asking me something that had something to do with the Real Housewives in New Jersey. I just thought it was a very immature move, very immature thing, and they probably just were on their high horse for a minute and got off on it, but definitely annoyed me. But yeah, that was the only time I got called to standards, and I was so upset that I texted Jack E. Goldschneider about it afterwards, and I was like, I just got called to standards because of the comment that got that you made. And I understand, like, this is a reality TV show and my mom did something that hurt you, But I had nothing to do with what my mom did to you on the show. So I just didn't appreciate that you had to bring me into your argument, and now it costed in me. It was humiliating, you know, to be called to Standards for something that I didn't do and that I would never entertain or engage in. And I was like, this is it. This is just unacceptable. And she obviously apologized and she never wished for that to happen to me, and yeah, now me and Jackie are fine and all all is good. So this was our inside look into what the life of Standards is.
Speaker 3: I would say it's kind of a little.
Speaker 1: Government that runs sorority life and keeps everything in check. And that was it for this week's episode of Dirty Rush.