Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's ten am on a Tuesday. So what does that mean? That means we're starting two hours early today inside the SWBC podcast studio as Tampa Bay Week has begun for us here on mix shots, Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola. We are just very proud of the fact that we all remembered that we are two hours early today.
Speaker 4: We had to turn our right, that's right, Yes, get us out of our routine, yep.
Speaker 3: And so there's luck to get too. After a full weekend of NFL games, including two Monday night games last night that looked like better matchups probably if they'd been in September than December. But here we are. We move on to week number sixteen and the Cowboys still have playoff hopes.
Speaker 5: They had us, they actually had us, they put in the hunt.
Speaker 3: Hunt. Still we're back in the hunt after one win, and.
Speaker 2: The Saints are under us.
Speaker 5: We're second to last and the Saints last, moving on up, moving on up.
Speaker 2: But I tell you.
Speaker 4: The Saints still have a chance.
Speaker 2: I think they're like five and seven something.
Speaker 3: Just because of their division. Maybe if if Tampa Bay.
Speaker 4: Loses out, they're five and nine, so they're three games back with three to go there.
Speaker 3: So that's why they're still technically.
Speaker 4: In it, and they probably to play like the Cowboys sound to.
Speaker 3: But we figured out the path, and what helped on the path was Atlanta winning last night. You want to root for Atlanta. You wanted Atlanta to keep on keeping on because you wanted Atlanta to be up there at least tied with Tampa Bay.
Speaker 4: You want them to get You want them to win the win is division, right, Otherwise they've got to lose.
Speaker 3: Because you lost to Atlanta. You don't want to be involved in any sort of tiebreaker that.
Speaker 4: Included you basically have to lose.
Speaker 3: They need to get ahead of or at least even with Tampa Bay because they beat Tampa Bay twice, so they have the tiebreaker on them for the division, right, and as it plays out here, the Atlanta success helps you. Now obviously the Cowboys have to win out, but and a win over Tampa Bay helps Atlanta's cause too. But Washington, they play Philadelphia this week and then they play Atlanta, and so if Atlanta will keep winning games, that helps the Cowboys. And you just want to get to that last week where you have a chance to catch Washington. And that's without regard to what happens in the West. You need help out there too.
Speaker 4: Well the way, uh, I wouldn't a step further on all that stuff. So, yes, you don't want to end up in a tie with Atlanta. If you end up win a tie with Washington, which means they got to lose out and you got to win out and you'll have the time, you'll have the tie breaker if they also need Seattle to lose two games if they're a wild card team, right, so if the Rams win the West, then so.
Speaker 3: You want the Rams to go ahead and go ahea business, take care business went on out Rams.
Speaker 4: If the Cowboys end up in a tie at nine and eight with Seattle and Arizona, they win the tiebreaker on a on the basis of a better NFC record.
Speaker 3: In Washington would be included.
Speaker 4: In that right and Washington you would win head to head right.
Speaker 3: But the but if there's a four way tie.
Speaker 4: Oh, you mean a four way tie for that last.
Speaker 3: Spot, right, because that was you're gonna the best you can do is tie Washington. But so you got to look at it first. You have to look at a way.
Speaker 4: And you would beat Washington on NFC record, but.
Speaker 3: You don't get to that until you get it in a head to head tiebreaker with them. So here first you got it, but first you got to win the multi team tiebreaker. And so to your point, they have a better conference. Cowboys would have a better conference record than any combination of Dallas, Washington and the West teams.
Speaker 4: Correct, because the best that helps clarify things because if Seattle and Arizona don't get to ten wins, then they're going to end up five and seven and four and eight in the NFC, and the Cowboys could end up seven and five. So that's the tiebreaker that would go forward. But you would need none of those teams to get to ten wins because the Cowboys can't get ten right, right.
Speaker 3: And so in order to do that for Seattle, which is eight and six right now, they need to lose two of their last three games and their final three opponents are Minnesota, which they will not be favored in, at Chicago, which they would be favored, and at the Rams, which they probably would not be favored.
Speaker 4: Before they can beat Chicago's okay.
Speaker 3: They're fine beating Chicago. They just need to lose to Minnesota and Rams. And as far as Arizona, which is at seven and seven right now, they're at Carolina, would say that's a win. That's eight and seven. Then they are at the Rams, make that a loss. They're eight and eight, and then they finish against San Francisco and it doesn't matter then, right, So they just need to lose one of their last three.
Speaker 4: Right, and you have to make sure that nobody gets to ten wins, because the Cowboys sure not get the ten.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's actually doable, it is, it really is doable.
Speaker 4: As Mike and the problem.
Speaker 3: The biggest issue in this whole scenario, I think the biggest issue is Dallas winning three games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you got to beat Tampa Bay and they have not done well against teams with winning records. And then you've got to go on the road and beat Philadehiladelphia which has a which.
Speaker 3: By the way, now has even though the division is likely theirs, although they still haven't wrapped it up. Of course they they're in the for the for the first round by still.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they can't say, oh, that game doesn't matter to us because they want that first round. It's Dallas too, and it's and it's it's Dallas. And with Detroit in Minnesota now tied at twelve and two, uh and Philadelphia is twelve and two. So yeah, that first So.
Speaker 3: We have what we've done here ever since is we have cleared a path. Okay, the the road is narrow, and by the way, the gate is small, and the road is narrow, and the lightest twilight.
Speaker 5: It's a doggy door. There's no gate. It's a doggy door. I can see us trying to get through that hole.
Speaker 4: But yeah you can. As McCarthy said yesterday when it was brought up, Yeah, we talked to the team about it. They I mean, we know, But what I know is we got to beat Tampa Bay.
Speaker 3: They don't need to get into the mood. We just got it, really, but they just need to know they got to keep within.
Speaker 4: As I wrote, the if you look at the big picture, it would be overwhelming. You got to just take snapshots.
Speaker 2: Yes, well they say one body of the time, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, And having said all of that, the Cowboys play on Sunday night against Tampa Bay. And in order for that game to mean something, yes, they need Washington to lose to Philadelphia on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Okay, doable?
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're you're an Eagle fan on Sunday afternoon, So Washington otherwise they're eliminated.
Speaker 4: You realize Washington doesn't have an easy road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, got it.
Speaker 4: They have to either beat Philadelphia, Atlanta or Dallas. And beating Atlanta after watching last night may not be too difficult.
Speaker 3: But that's the Kirk Kirk Cousins homecoming games last.
Speaker 4: Home another level of motivation.
Speaker 3: His last homecoming game to Minnesota did not work out well for.
Speaker 5: Can you guys realize how many what what slim hopes that we're grabbing for? God, it's so slim. First of all, Tampa is a good team, that's right, they really are. I mean it's going a lot of points. Baker Mayfield is I mean, he's just the guy to be wreckon with.
Speaker 2: That's just all of is to it. Uh, such a long.
Speaker 5: Way from Carolina to now, right, he was just out there just winging it in Carolina for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even longer way from Cleveland, you know.
Speaker 5: Uh Beckham and is getting into arguments with everybody and fighting with him and and now he just gets under a regime that's you know for really experienced coaches.
Speaker 2: Who who's the offensive coordinators?
Speaker 3: Who did they because Dave Kanalis was there, Let me look up real quick, clearly, I haven't done my research yet on Tampa Bay.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, because first of all, you're dealing with a got to be a future Hall of Fame at Mike Evans. That kid is really good. He's dogged. Of course, we've seen him before. We know what he can do and can't do.
Speaker 4: But they lost some wide receivers, right, if I remember, well.
Speaker 3: They lost it was in that game they were trying to come back and Chris Godwin got the final two minutes of that game. Liam Cohen is our offensive coordinator and he is spent some time with Sean McVay with the Rams. He was the Kentucky offensive coordinator in college and then went to the Rams and went back to Kentucky and so he was hired. But he was hired to replace Dave Canalos who's now at Carolina the head coach.
Speaker 4: So and having said that, with the amount of points they've been scoring, let's see on this see if they have the points here for Tampa Bay. They have scored four hundred and three points so far in the NFC. That ranks second behind Detroit, behind Detroit four h three Detroit's four point fifty nine. And by the way, no other team in the NFC has scored four hundred points. And here comes the Cowboys chugging along at two ninety eight. That's twenty points a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just about.
Speaker 3: But they're coming off their Tampa Bay's coming off a game in which they fell behind seventeen to ten against the Chargers and then they rattled off thirty straight points to end the game.
Speaker 5: So you know, I didn't really see the first half of that game. Only the second half is what really stands out. And what you see is a quarterback like Baker Mayfield who really has a feel for this offense. I don't really care who's playing. I guess the strength of their team has to be their offensive line because he's able to negotiat in the pocket very well. They keep him from getting into a lot of trouble, not nearly the mistakes and turnovers that Baker Mayfield has been known for in the past. And that is a problem because when you get him outside the pocket, he's just as dangerous as any other quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And what my memory is of him with Cleveland was he was running for his life all the time, you know, which was which to your point, when he gets out of the pocket, he makes plays whatever, which is what he did in college because he'd be running for his life and he'd make a play and all the all the time. And I think he figured out that what worked in college doesn't work in the NFL a lot of times. That's what he figured out in Cleveland. And then it continued at Carolina. And then after one practice with Sean McVay with the Rams, all of a sudden it clicked for it. And now, how about if he didn't ever get.
Speaker 2: That that was the way this first game is, only.
Speaker 3: It was like a Thursday game. He arrived on a national It was he arrived on Tuesday, and he had to play on Thursdays. And he won the game, and that one moment in time just resurrected his career. And then he bet on himself after that.
Speaker 2: Okay, he.
Speaker 5: Knew he was with a good coach. He knew he was with a good coach who knew how to take advantage of his lively own.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can look at.
Speaker 5: Bacer Mayfield easily call him Matt Stafford. You could easily call him Stafford. I mean they play the same, they have the same you know, little tricks with the ball and ways to get rid of the ball. Brett fav like stuff, same thing.
Speaker 4: I think it was the second coming of the victory of the uncluttered mind. He didn't know anything. He just went out and played.
Speaker 3: And but even for Sean mc sean McVay saw that in him, you know. And so then just like he did in college, he bet on himself after he was at Texas Tech. Okay, Patrick Mahomes is there comes in right after him. In fact, he I think he so he was a non scholarship player, and Cliff Kingsbury wouldn't give him a scholarship because he had this guy named Mahomes that was going to be their guy. So then he transfers and walks on at Oklahoma and has to back then Lo and behold, you had to sit out a year even as a non scholarship player at both places that you're at. And he was playing intermural football and winning on the intermural football field at Ou and and Bob Stoops tells the story, he looks.
Speaker 2: Like he's still out there playing in football.
Speaker 3: But even at Tech his true freshman year, he started like five games at Tech and but then didn't get a scholarship, and so he bet on himself and went to Oklahoma, and even with you know what they had at quarterback whatever you know, they he wins the job and becomes a starter for three years there and Kyler Murray has to sit on the bench behind for a full year.
Speaker 4: So when he went to Oklahoma, did he go as a walk on or a scholarship?
Speaker 3: He was a walk on. Stoops didn't even know who he was when he walked into.
Speaker 2: His office or.
Speaker 4: Hitting asked for n I L money back.
Speaker 3: Then right right, so and so then after that stint with the Rams, then he bet on himself again and signs with Tampa Bay and then one season leads him follows the greatest quarterback in the history of the game and send them to the playoffs and then he gets a bigger deal. You want to add an Now he's working on a bigger deal.
Speaker 4: You want to add another layer to that concern. No digs, No Butler and Owaria and Lewis did not finish the game, so they could be without could be. We'll find out probably a little bit more tomorrow. They're top four current or four of their top five current cornerbacks having to go up against everything. Bill just said, better get a hell of a pass rush.
Speaker 3: I'm going back to see those two corners that those two dbs that they signed to the practice.
Speaker 2: Squad, well, you're gonna have to.
Speaker 3: D d Delaney and Troy Pride were signed to the practice squad a week ago. And by the way, they also signed it. I like this signing to the practice squad last week. Brayden Daniels offensive guard. Uh. He was a fourth round pick of Washington last year and then he's had injury issues. He's been on like three different practice squads this year. But he's from Heburn High School. I liked him coming out. He was in the big Green notebook. That's a guy on down the road.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what we don't just have to deal with Baker Mayfield, and I'm talking myself into this. It must be the offensive line, because was this guy, Bucky Irving. Yeah, he's good, Well, hell Oregon, he's got a lot of holes. I had a lot to choose from, you know. So sometimes when he's running through that line, he didn't even get touched. And those are the kind of things that make me nervous, having the guy that's shifty and he's so small getting behind those big offensive linemen. You don't know he's behind you until he was five years down, five yards down the line.
Speaker 3: Fourth round draft pick out of Oregon, Bucky Irving, rookie one hundred and twenty fifth pick, and they were teaming him with Rashad White, so they met that running back by commit. Actually, like their third back, Sean Tucker out of Syracuse, he had a neck injury, head injury coming out and that's why he actually was not drafted. But he had a game earlier this season where he went for one hundred and thirty one yards and fourteen carries himself. So their run game is real, which again speaks to what you're talking about. Their offensive line is real, and one of the guys on that offensive line is their center. Graham Barton, who's a first round draft pick who I know is on the radar of the Cowboys. UH Cowboys opted to trade down and pick up a third round pick, which in essence became Cooper Bebie their center, and UH drafted Tyler Geydon, who, by the way, on Guyton, you notice anything on him in the game the other day that you notice him at the line of scrimmage where you know he hasn't had a tendency and he's gotten called for this you know, illegal formation stuff.
Speaker 4: He got his butt up on he was he.
Speaker 3: Was clearly, clearly he has been coached to and it's almost like he doesn't He did not have and I didn't look closely. It is just at the snap of the ball, I was like, all right, he's doing something different with his yes, his stance and he you know, left tackles will put that left foot back, and he was more square to the line of scrimmage. It seemed like to me.
Speaker 6: And that's unusual for a tackle, right, Yeah, should have told that to a dooga to get your butt on the line of scrimmage?
Speaker 2: Why why do you why does he.
Speaker 3: Always do you want to go on a rent here in the second that's okay.
Speaker 4: But regardless of how he set up, he played better. He played more aggressively I thought.
Speaker 3: And he's got a negro.
Speaker 2: But without Yeah, that's the problem exactly.
Speaker 4: He's got to learn what.
Speaker 2: Who was it?
Speaker 4: Oh it was Tyler Smith. Remember all the holdings he got. He wasn't holding he was he was punishing the guy to the ground and they were calling hold.
Speaker 3: Connor Williams did that all the time too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's that's definitely, that's definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like he won so finishing.
Speaker 3: It's not just on the play for the game, right, Mean, streaks can work against you.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, because that's what they see at the end, right, yep.
Speaker 3: You know, Mickey's got a mean streak about man.
Speaker 2: That's why it's called the Mick rant.
Speaker 5: It's not called the Walls Rent or Bill rant.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna see in just a moment if he's got any more, if he's got left to the tank when mix shots continues at a moment.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, Attend the best tail game party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust Blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Pruscott kitchen slides for the first.
Speaker 7: Down, investlate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw My goodness, Wow, did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster cankoler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yeti dot com. Check it out today yeti Official cooler and drink of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demiced Shuts.
Speaker 5: Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by in Visiline.
Speaker 2: Don't miss your chance to learn from.
Speaker 5: The Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders at dance camps on December twenty seventh and former NFL players at football camps on December twenty third and twenty seventh. Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys and register today at dallascowboys dot Com slash camps.
Speaker 3: Okay, we continue with mix shots, and ever since has been talking about this Tampa Bay offensive line, and he's jumped the gun on me because normally I don't really start studying the opponent until Wednesday of the week, and so I've been scrambling here in the break trying to answer some of his questions the offensive line for Tampa Bay. Everson. One of the reasons that they're successful on offense is exactly what you're pointing to. And right off the top of my head, what I see with this offensive line is they have been virtually injury free, really, and if you look across the board in the National Football League, the teams that are successful, it's usually you can point to their offensive line. In this case, whatever area of a team you're talking about, it's because they still got their regular players playing and they have invest Tampa Bay has invested in their offensive line. Their first round draft pick, Tristan Wirfs was the thirteenth overall pick, and he's on his second contract now. And as I mentioned, Graham Barton. Their center is a first round pick. Cody Mock, their right guard was a second round pick last year. So it's been here in the last couple of years with those two guys that they've shored things up. The one injury issue they've had is a right tackle. They've had a couple of guys that have played there. But which gets me to the Detroit Lions. And remember when the Cowboys played the Lions and how that game went.
Speaker 2: Okay, you mean this year?
Speaker 4: This year?
Speaker 3: Okay, and it was a forty two to fourteen game whatever it was, and they did lose Aiden Hutchinson in that game. Okay, But prior to the Aiden Hutchinson injury and leading into that game, one of the most and that was like the fifth game of the season. One of the most remarkable things about the Detroit Lions coming into that game, in my opinion, was how they their injury list was about one or two players deep and they were backup players. Since then, they have been losing players.
Speaker 2: I remember. I remember on.
Speaker 3: The heels of that game, I said, let's wait and see where the Lions are at the end of the season. Because the injury bug hasn't hit them yet and since then it has now hit them and it's coming waves now here. In the last week or so.
Speaker 4: They lost to their line, right, they lost defensive line.
Speaker 2: Well one of them was a dB. Yeah, they got the job.
Speaker 3: Broken jaw Carlton Davis and then Ali McNeil, their defensive tackle who's won the best defensive tackles in the league. He's for the year, but also on offense now David Montgomery as a season ending thee So now that we'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: But I saw it come across.
Speaker 3: The duo of Montgomery and Gibbs has now been broken apart.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me other people have problems other than the Cowboys having to play their backup guard at backup center, yep. And the backup keep back guard just keep going.
Speaker 3: But I mean, you look at it across the league and it really is survival of the fittest, especially with seventeen games. Uh huh. That's right, and that that's where you're see in Tampa Bay is getting on a roll here. Well, if you look across at their roster, they have been able to stay pretty healthy. Yeah. That they had a span there where they Evans and Godwin they both lost that both of them the wide receiver, but they got Evans back. And that's why when Jerry.
Speaker 4: That's that's a big back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's they are dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, And and Kate otten are tied in has emerged as a real receiving threat this year. Uh. But that's why back when the Cowboys lost to Ron Bland in the preseason and Jerry was like, you know what, that's all right. You know, it's all right because we're going to get him back, right, you know. And so that's the way you have to look at things in this league is the injuries that occur that they're if they're coming back in four weeks, eight weeks, whatever, you still got a chance. But when you lose him for the season, that's when like Diggs, like and and and especially for the Cowboys now, even looking ahead to next season, when you've got two huge question marks to start the season next year, unprojected starters and overshown in.
Speaker 4: Digs, well you might add, I mean he should be ready. But you can add Sam Williams to that too, getting back from his tarrant, he's got.
Speaker 3: A he's got a four month head start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on the right, right, So you would hope, but again, Diggs may not be ready to start the season next next year.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, when you look at this team, I see a coach that is extremely underrated. You see Todd Bowles and I talk about at times. I talk about the Baltimore culture, you know, talk about the culture that they have in Philadelphia. Uh, you know, tough minded coaches and players that just play above themselves.
Speaker 2: I think this Tampa team is a lot like that.
Speaker 5: Todd Bowles is one of the most underrated coaches I think in the NFL. First of all, he's so quiet, you know, he's you know, doesn't He's so unassuming about everything that he does.
Speaker 3: He's underrated by outsiders. People in the in the league have the highest.
Speaker 2: Respect for him, and he has really come through.
Speaker 5: At this point. They're trending up with right now. I've seen them have their problems. I've seen Baker Mayfield not do so well outside the pocket, even though Mike Evans had come back. I've seen them lose a couple of games where you know, the defense was just better than they will and so they're doable. There's no doubt that they are doable. We can take care of this team. But you have to worry about a culture, a team that has a culture of being one of the toughest teams in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you better score thirty points to beat.
Speaker 5: Him, no doubt, because Baker, Baker's gonna He's gonna make it. He's one of those guys is very dangerous when he falls behind, very dangerous when he falls behind.
Speaker 3: And with Todd Bowles, I mean it goes back. Of course he was here twenty years ago, but his time.
Speaker 2: He was at Grambling. He was the DC at Grambling when Doug was a coach.
Speaker 4: That he was on Parcels Parcels staff as the defensive line coach, right, really, yeah, defensive.
Speaker 3: Line would have thought he was secondary coach.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe secondary. Yeah, you're right, it was secondary. I was thinking of Casey Rogers.
Speaker 3: Who I think it was on his staff. Casey Rogers is a co defensive coordinator. Yeah, and he would Casey was with them with the Jets too. Yeah, and he's followed him. I guess he's probably with Arizona with him too, I don't know, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bowles was. He was a good hand mm hmmm for the Cowboys for sure. So you got a with all these backups playing on the offensive line. You got a reasonable explanation for why the running game now is flourishing, other than maybe who you're playing against.
Speaker 3: Apparently it's Cooper Rush. What I'm hearing, is it Cooper Rush the reason? Said the coaches yesterday said it too. Was it Schottenheimer?
Speaker 2: Well it would have been.
Speaker 3: Is he the Schoenheimer McCarthy yesterday was talking about.
Speaker 4: I don't think McCarthy.
Speaker 3: I think it was Schottenheimer talking about the pre snap reads and the what the what the quarterback is doing is to get them in the right the offensive line in the in the right spot for the run blocking. So apparently it's all Cooper Rush.
Speaker 2: I can't give that to Cooper. I like Cooper.
Speaker 4: Jerry.
Speaker 2: Jerry also, Lie is just playing better.
Speaker 4: He said that just playing. Jerry said on today podcast, I mean on his segment that they're blocking it different. So I don't know if they that's beyond me.
Speaker 5: So so you're saying that the quarterback is the reason that they're blocking, But.
Speaker 4: He also said the quarterback had something.
Speaker 5: If the quarterback made some adjustments with the defense the offensive line and now they're blocking.
Speaker 3: Better, maybe it's identifying that Mic linebacker they have Dak had a problem.
Speaker 2: But it almost suns when when when when Zeke was his brother?
Speaker 5: Bet, yeah, that guy trying to find the linebacker.
Speaker 3: They might be well before, Rico has been the starting running back since day one. Since since the first game of the first game of the season, Zeke was the starting run back. Rico became the starting running back in Week two. So just everyone clear on that, Okay, But apparently it has something to do with the line calls. And Cooper is well, and he he's so quick to make decisions even pre snap and post snap.
Speaker 4: Is that the deal?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what was said on the radio this morning.
Speaker 4: Well, he said the quarterback processing very quickly. He said, the quarterback is making good decisions, good at the line decisions. So I don't know how that fits into the blocking scheme has changed.
Speaker 3: Well, the quarterbacks in involved in making those line calls, and he is.
Speaker 5: I mean, but I can't say that these guys were just playing better.
Speaker 2: The offensive line is blocking better.
Speaker 4: That's right, How they're the runs, how the runs are decided, which.
Speaker 5: Once again, quarterback has nothing to do with that, right, That's all I'm trying to say. I mean, you know, he just calls it, just the words come out of his mouth and then he hands it off when he's not stumbling.
Speaker 4: And but I mean, think about it, though, three straight games rushing, it's been a while since.
Speaker 5: That that offensive line is getting feeling real good. Of course, we're not playing against the best teams.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that was about to bring out. When Derek Brown was playing defensive tackle for the Carolina Panthers last year, they were a lot more difficult to run. Again, he got hurt the first week of the season. Okay, they also are down Shaq Thompson at linebacker, and they didn't have their rookie Trevin Wallace this week at linebacker, and their last against the run, their last against the run in the East NFL.
Speaker 5: And you've got we played the Giants before that, right, you know, I mean, I don't know that if their running game is any good, then we played.
Speaker 2: We just beve we beat somebody before that.
Speaker 3: So, well, how about Cincinnati's defense? How they do it this year? Yeah, they've said they've tied the NFL record for most losses, having scored thirty points in a game.
Speaker 2: And that that's because they suck.
Speaker 4: So now, so now we find out right right, got two teams with winning records, actually three.
Speaker 2: That was something I was going to mentioned.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about it last night, just about how you know, with the last four games that's with except for Cincinnati, those teams weren't really respected that much. This team here, they have lots of experience. The coach is good, the quarterback is good, They're good at every position.
Speaker 2: If we think we.
Speaker 5: Deserve to be in the playoffs, this is the game that we have to win.
Speaker 2: These are the games that we're gonna have to win three. Yeah, just like that.
Speaker 5: So you're gonna have to play so far above yourself from what you've been playing. It may not be above yourself from last year, but from what we've been doing this year. Everybody and every area of our team has to play a whole lot better than they have been, even though we're proud of what they've been doing so far.
Speaker 2: The last three four games.
Speaker 4: Cincinnati came in at four and eight. Right now, they've won two straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Giants came in at two and whatever and ten maybe I think, and they are losing.
Speaker 2: And then this.
Speaker 4: Team came in at three and ten.
Speaker 3: Carolina, So as the Cowboys have won three of their last four.
Speaker 4: Games, and before Cincinnati, well it.
Speaker 10: Was it was the starting with the Washington game, Washington, right, okay, Washington, and then the Giants lose to Cincinnati in heartbreaking fashion and then win at Carolina.
Speaker 3: That's what they've done. And I'm telling you Washington is not as good.
Speaker 4: Else they are record. They are taking advantage of the last place schedule.
Speaker 3: Think about think about Washington, but also think about Washington and what a couple of their wins have come against Chicago on a Hail Mary, and then this game against New Orleans. If New Orleans converts on a two point conversion, they.
Speaker 2: Lose that game.
Speaker 3: So just then they would create they're not that good.
Speaker 4: They would be a five hundred team, right if they had lost that two games, that's right, regardless of whatever else.
Speaker 3: The problem is, you got to get to that game meaning for them, get to that game. It's make it meaningful. I can't remember, did we already.
Speaker 2: Take their no? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's take another break. It would be back teraftics up and.
Speaker 4: I'll let you know what else. Jerry said on his segment today.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off. I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium, pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you.
Speaker 3: Win slides for the first.
Speaker 7: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot Com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 5: Team Hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 2: Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 5: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 11: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday mornings Swacker Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Cup, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miler Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 4: The mic shuts.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 5: Amanda Foster has been named You Are twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan for her dedication to the team and spicing up the game. Vote for Amanda to be named the NFL Ultimate Fan of the Year at NFL dot com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 3: All right, very good, Mickey. What else did Jerry have to say this morning on the radio.
Speaker 4: I don't know why this came up. This is important. Somebody asked him if he's ever eaten raccoon.
Speaker 3: It came up because Xavier Legette of the Carolina Panthers made headlines by saying that he has.
Speaker 4: Eaten raccoon, and so they asked Jerry if he'd eaten raccoon and the answer was absolutely, either honey or his mama made the best raccoon. And he added that and one of the best things she cooked with squirrel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say I've had squirrel. Yeah, I've never had raccoon. So Jerry's on record for raccoon. Also, he was asked.
Speaker 4: About somehow this got out there. I don't know how Steven answered the question about, you know, the salary cap going to be tight. They acted like tight again and I'm going, no, it's going to be tight or because of the count tracks you just signed, right.
Speaker 3: Why is that news?
Speaker 4: Because I don't know Steven said something that made them think that they can't sign Micah, and Jerry basically said, no one said in this organization we can't sign Micah.
Speaker 3: Well, the problem is they can't sign anybody else.
Speaker 4: Right, right, exactly like, do you want to resign Rico? Depending on what somebody else offers him? Can you resign Osa because of the way he's playing, he's gonna get some attention. Can you resign Kendricks who was playing on a one year deal? So that's the problem, but he wanted to make sure that the salary cap was going to be tight next year, But he did not mention anything about not being able to sign.
Speaker 2: I think if you have a team, you can pay three superstars, right.
Speaker 4: But not at the top of their position, which was rare. You're headed right now. CD is second, right, but he's really first because guess what in Minnesota they got income they got state income tax.
Speaker 3: Because we're talking as far as the salary caps, yes, yes, I mean, but you're right, you can. You just have you have to hit on all of the not all of them, but you have to have a keep churning the roster with finding those players who can do what these players are doing right now, these these undrafted guys that are performing.
Speaker 2: There time to play, buddy.
Speaker 5: If we don't have no development time to get you but out here that's well.
Speaker 3: And with the injuries, I mean, I would love somebody, and especially with the new reserve rules now injured reserve is used a lot more than they couldn't be used. But once a year, you know, not that long ago. Are there more injuries now than what there were twenty years ago? It sure seems like it. We kind of talked about that, yeah, which means that you have to have a ninety man roster. Basically you go to training game with a ninety man roster. And most of these teams were, including the practice squad they're using throughout the course of the year, seventy five to eighty players easily.
Speaker 4: I don't have time to count it, but I will for tomorrow and see how many guys have actually played in a game. And I bet it's getting I did it at one point and it was in the low sixties. I bet it's the seventy by.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's seventy five. And what was especially with the practice squad elevations, you are naturally good. I have some and so like, if a guy is hurting for a week or so, you can not make him active for a week, and you elevate a practice squad guy, and that's going to raise those numbers some than what they used to do. But I mean, I think it's been great for the league and for those journeymen players to be able to have opportunities.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't know who the hell anybody is anymore.
Speaker 3: It's great for them to still have life in the league. Josh Butler, I mean, and Kemon Hall, you know, those keep on going. We have a bunch of Yeah, there's a whole bunch of them. And other teams have those same guys that are able to continue to keep hope alive for their NFL careers.
Speaker 5: And I must admit it's impressive to watch this team do the same thing. I mean, you don't know half the defensive lineman.
Speaker 2: You don't know. You definitely don't know half the DB's.
Speaker 5: I'm about to ask bags, who do we have left at defensive back?
Speaker 2: Do we even have a dime package?
Speaker 3: He's not miss distracted sixty six five right now?
Speaker 2: We have sixty five die packages.
Speaker 4: No sixty five players have played at least one snap.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a lot. That's a lot.
Speaker 4: And there might be more because I didn't I didn't look at the special teams. I was just counting the offense defense.
Speaker 3: It's gonna get seventy five.
Speaker 4: So oh well, didn't McCarthy say when they won the superventy so use seventy seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so nothing's changed.
Speaker 4: And now that was seventeen games. Yeah, Now that there's seventeen games, you're gonna need more.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mickey, you have a TV assignment.
Speaker 2: You got do I do?
Speaker 3: Where can we catch this?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Cowboys on your station tomorrow morning? Oh okay, all right, Cowboys today.
Speaker 3: CBS Texas tomorrow. It's eight twenty five five, okay, all right, we'll look forward to do that and.
Speaker 4: I'll be on the fan in thirteen minutes.
Speaker 3: And Everson looks forward to the mess hall opening here in thirteen minutes.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to go break the door there.
Speaker 3: Hey yeah, yeah, I gotta go otherwise. We'll be back at our regular time, regular time noon tomorrow here on Mixshots No Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.