Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Jason Concepcion, and I'm ready night and welcome to the final preview episode of X ray Vision for official return on Thursday, May second. And we're so delighted today to be talking about what Rosie.
Speaker 1: That unbelievable episode five of X Men ninety seven.
Speaker 3: We had to come back to talk about it.
Speaker 4: I haven't talked about it.
Speaker 3: We had to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Come on, X Men ninety seven, remember it. We open with TV journalist Trish Tilby going to the X Mansion to interview the X Men as part of FC News's story about mutants and their ongoing integration into society. She sits with Hank, she tours the ground, she talked with Jubilee, and she has an extended sit down with Scott.
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't go great.
Speaker 2: We also learned that the un is set to formally admit the mutant nation of Genosha. Magneto, Rogue, and third Wheel Gambit fly to Genosha for the celebrations. Gambit unwilling to let Rogue and Magneto be alone, and they are.
Speaker 4: Welcomed as heroes. It's a utopia.
Speaker 2: We get glimpses of lots of members of the Mutant family, including our favorite glob Herman, Leech, Pixie Boom Boom, Dazzler, Linley, Merrow, Callisto, Exit, as many many more, Madeline, Pryor, and night Crawler. Wonderfully night Crawler, wonderful to see Nightcrawl there to.
Speaker 4: Greet the X Men.
Speaker 3: He's back. He loves Gambit.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic to see the two of them back together, it really is.
Speaker 2: And the Genotionans have a particular reverence for Magneto, as does Rogue, something more than a reverence perhaps, and that really really bothers Gambit. Scott, in his interview with Trish, goes way, way, way, way too deep, spilling in foe about his time with Gene, her phoenix powers, the time she held Scott's eyeblast back during their romantic love making session in the desert, talks about his son Nate with Madeline, and then he blows up and he walks out.
Speaker 4: Not a good look.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, actual Gene is out on the X grounds trying to figure out which memories are hers, which memories are Madeline's, and she kisses.
Speaker 4: Logan basically says.
Speaker 1: Ovid, whoa guys, guys, this is like a legendary threes triple little tripleing.
Speaker 3: Gang built hit. I mean, Logan and Gene. That's like one of the ultimate X menships. So I was very happy. They really do everything in this episode.
Speaker 4: They do it all.
Speaker 3: They do all that going from the eighties to the nineties to the Zeros. We get new X Men, we get Logan and Jean. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. Everything you want if you're an X Men fan, happened here. And so Logan basically says, listen, that never happened. You're supposed to be with Scott, and and that's it.
Speaker 4: He walks away.
Speaker 2: Magneto meets with the Genosha Council, Emma Frost, Callisto, Sebastian Shaw, Banshee, Madeline, and the Honorary Human we McTaggart. One of the great awes of mutandom. They want Magneto to be the head of Genosha's government, and Magnets like, I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: About this, but I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: If you put Rogue as my co leader with me, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, Scott.
Speaker 2: Gene and Scott talk about Nathan, their son. They kiss, but shocking turn of events. It turns out Scott is telepathically linked with Madeline.
Speaker 4: It is a psychic affair.
Speaker 2: Gene finds him, she blows up, and then all of a sudden, a burst of psychic anguish hits Gene. Because back on Genosha things are happening. Rogue tells Gambit about her relationship with Magneto, how she really feels about him. She loves him, and she can actually touch him.
Speaker 1: Huge change as well, hand that vergues powers are shifting and changing. I don't that's Magni canon being able to touch Magnia. I don't think that's Kanon.
Speaker 3: I love that moment.
Speaker 4: And it's more than that.
Speaker 2: She actually feels like he can see her, and the vision that he has for a mutant culture and society is truly entrancing to her. They obviously they broke up because it just there is too much baggage, obviously with him being a super villain in her trying to go straight. But now that they're going to rule Genosha together, she makes a clean break with Gambit.
Speaker 4: The party on.
Speaker 2: Genosha is just it's unbelievable, it's wonderful. It's a massive celebration. Gambit of course can't enjoy it because his heart is in pieces. Then the Wild Sentinel strikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Rogue can't enjoy it either because as she's doing a delightful dance with Magneto, she realizes she actually loves Gambit, and she leaves Magnio behind and says he was right.
Speaker 3: Some things are deeper than skin. And then she's off. But you know, the Wild Sentinel strikes. Is it a Tri Sentinel? It looks like a.
Speaker 1: Tri Sentinel, but those have only been in the comics like eight times. Yeah, but the three heads the six arms. Also it has big living tribunal energy.
Speaker 3: Which the three really does it is this action sequence was just unbelievable. I thought they'd already.
Speaker 1: Done a fantastic job with action in this series, but this particular episode.
Speaker 3: Is just unreal.
Speaker 4: It shades of Attack on Titan.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was just massive.
Speaker 2: In the end, the Sentinel is defeated, but the cost is unthinkable untold. Millions of mutants are dead, including Madeline Pryor as as up until recently, series head Bodomeo revealed on Twitter that yeah, Madeline didn't make it, among millions of others, including Magneto, Leech, and Gambit, who gave his life to stop the Wild Sentinel talking points.
Speaker 4: Even even okay, so let's stop.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that they would get to the psychic affair so quickly.
Speaker 4: So in the comics it's really jumped way.
Speaker 1: Do you remember last week I was complained, well earlier this week actually, I was complaining about how Scott is actually like kind of a bomb and he cheats on Gene with Emma. But here they do the psychic affair with Madeline, which I thought worked really well already in New X Men territory. So if you've read those fantastic comics by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly, then you knew that when they went to Genosha, this wasn't going to end well.
Speaker 2: Well, can I say this is a potentially spoiler, so.
Speaker 4: Listener beware.
Speaker 2: But when they come back from the mental Affair, the first shot is Emma going, oh, I do I wonder if it's if it isn't.
Speaker 1: Her, I know, I think, or if she is puppet mastering behind. I did think that it was a very defined cut. They did say, oh, look, it's Emma Frost looking sexy and like she's causing problems it's like I would believe it, but yeah, I mean, they got here so fast. It was so incredible. I think that for people who aren't.
Speaker 3: Really deeply in aged with that new X Men era, this was a shock. I had so many people DM me. I had friends in my.
Speaker 1: Messages being like, what the fuck, man, It's like, I did not see this coming. Especially, this feels like a season finale or a mid season break, you know, it doesn't just feel like a random episode five. So I think one of the most interesting things here is we still have five episodes to go, and I think that we're seeing the beginning of the setup for Kracoa here. I think that Scott being so angry with the humans and kind of breaking away. I think the fact that now the mutants are going to feel like they need they need somewhere that's just for them that the humans can't touch. You know.
Speaker 3: I think we could be.
Speaker 1: Seeing a situation where by season two, we have Cricoa, we have the Resurrection Protocol, and you're bringing back those mutants who we lost here, which, by the way, like you said, is millions of mutants. Janosha was essentially like a safe haven for mutants, and now it's just gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that there might be I don't know, a dozen left, like not very many, whoever wasn't there plus the survivors who we see, who included Pixie and a few others. One thing that really piqued my interest was the reference to the gardens. So the gardens, the healing gardens, those are a Krokoa thing, which it's so, and the gardens also include like the ability to bring back mutants, which makes me feel like, I think you're right like it.
Speaker 4: We might go to Krakoa a lot faster than we think. I didn't think we'd get here of this fast.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I thought the Psychic Afa was going to be maybe at the end of the season. But they've done such a good job kind of mixing timelines and rolling around and.
Speaker 3: Also expanding in New X Men.
Speaker 1: The Genotia stuff is really famous because you're literally there for like a couple of pages.
Speaker 3: And then it's gone.
Speaker 1: And that's where the fantastic Negasonic teenage warhead comes from, who people know from Deadpool, you know, famously died instantly character. But I love that here they get let us see Genosha, and they used it as a place. I mean you mentioned them, but we get to see so many characters here. There's so much fun to be had. We also get these incredibly emotional moments. The moment with Leech and the Morlocks and they're underground and Leech says, oh no, Magneto said, I'd never have to be scared again.
Speaker 3: And then later you get.
Speaker 1: The callback to that when Magneto's holding Leech as he seemingly, you know, kills himself and uses his powers to you know, get in, get that final hit in to the to this giant, you know, wild Sentinel. And then obviously you have Gambit, who gets this huge. This is a great episode for me because I am a Gambit apols Gambit ever, and I'm a Scot hater Gambit.
Speaker 3: Yes, Scott's losing it.
Speaker 1: Gambit is getting propaganda all over the place here, He's using He's powering up the Sentinel after getting stabbed to defeat it. That's one of the most badass things ever. Also, the moment where he the moment where he powers up his motorcycle and just throws it at Rogue to knock her out.
Speaker 3: The air is so good.
Speaker 1: I'm just yeah, it's so delightful, and I'm it was so emotional, and I know a lot of people were just totally broken by this episode.
Speaker 3: But I would say, if you lost the mutant that you.
Speaker 1: Love today, don't worry because I think Krokoa and the Resurrection protocols are coming very soon.
Speaker 4: What the of the Yeah, what is the rest of the season. I will tell you.
Speaker 2: What I think the rest of the season looks like in a nose spoiler way for those of you not familiar with X Men more, I think a mysterious mutant named Zorn is going to show up, and everything that happens with Zorn is going to be the season finale of season one of this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes too much sense.
Speaker 2: This mysterious mutant, very powerful name Zorn will show up with this interesting face mask and will be a hero and then and certain reveals will happen that will be mind blowing for people who are n't aware of X Men lore. That's what I think is gonna happen. Okay, we got here so fair.
Speaker 3: We got here so quick.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I think we've gotten in the credits, we know they're kind of revealing stuff that happens. We get to see the Shia, we get to see Leia Landra. Who are these kind of space X Men. I think we will get to see them before the end of the season. I think that with mutants dead, we're gonna need extra help to protect the Earth. I also was very happy to see a flash of a moment with Storm returning. I think now Storm will return, and I think we will get one of the best kind of issues at the back Man, which is going to be the battle for the leadership of the X Men, but now it's going to because Magneto is gone, rather than Charles being gone. Will we see Charles resurrected before the end of the season.
Speaker 3: I could believe it.
Speaker 1: I could believe it, But maybe that's the season two thing. I just this was just so great.
Speaker 2: Season three, season four, like as many seasons as they want to make, keep making it because I am blown away.
Speaker 4: This is like top level.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, this is one of the best episodes of TV this year. Yeah, I honestly think Disney Plus is missing a trick by not being out here just hyping this up like it's an episodic live action show like they should be doing like breakdowns. After this, you can speak to talent, you can do this. This is the show people are talking about this week, and it just delivered on every front.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I also think, you know, with so much discourse about like is the is the MCU, is.
Speaker 4: The gas running out? Is it slowing down? This is the other thing that they have like.
Speaker 2: In their holster is the X Men, which have exactly and this is the return of the X Men and the animated series in the form of X Men ninety seven is proof of concept that this is just such a powerful story collection of heroes, the romance, the stramapre and nature of it, the action, the overall the strength of the metaphor, and what it means to people like this is it's gonna be huge when the X Men hit in live action.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's close the show with Who's Who. Every show we close the show with a variety of fast moving segments. Today it's Who's Who, in which we talk about some of our favorite weird characters from our given universe. Of this episode, we talk about some of the incredible variety of mutants that we see in this episode.
Speaker 4: Rosie, who did you see?
Speaker 1: I was very happy to see Boom boom all time favorite character for me. Would love to see her come back, but she's probably dead. RP boom boom Pixie. I have this fantastic This Men poster where for some reason they drew Pixie really big and I always think about her. I love the Morlocks, so it was incredible to see Callisto. Also, I was losing it that Globe Herman showed up after the last episode.
Speaker 3: I literally texted you straight away and then every everyone in the discord was like, what does Jason know?
Speaker 4: How did he come up? Club?
Speaker 3: He is back?
Speaker 1: So that was incredible to see him. I loved what they did with Leech. I actually thought they made him. Yeah, I just I loved I loved the fact that you could just be looking around and kind of like picking out, Oh, this is a character I loved. Oh this is a character I haven't seen for a long time. You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's really special.
Speaker 1: To be able to have a roster that big, so you can do that and kind of make people excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tremendous. I mean, you just named all my favorites. Honestly, seeing Dazzler in the nineties costume, it was amazing. Everything you said, I'll double down on Meghan Green aka Pixie was I was not expecting to see her. Also loved seeing little Leech, who plays such an important role in so many of the stories that I loved X Men stories that I love from the nineties.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see where this show is going. Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I have to talk about an incredible moment in which Cable is swinging into action, but something pulls him back.
Speaker 4: Into the timelines.
Speaker 2: He gets jumped somewhere in time, but before he goes Madeleine realizes that who he is, that he is a future version of her son.
Speaker 1: And he says sorry, mom as he kind of jumps back. It seems like he has one of bishops kind of gauntlets that can travel through time, and he says not again. So I also wonder how many times he's tried to stop this particular disaster.
Speaker 3: But that moment was so good.
Speaker 1: I love Cable, I love that Maddie got to see him before she had passed IRP, and I'm excited to see how he comes into play going into the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Well that's it for our final preview episode of X Ray Vision ahead of our launch. If anything huge happens before our launch on Thursday, May second. We can't cover it because we're coming back May second. Anything that you're looking forward to ahead of launch, Rosie.
Speaker 1: I'm just looking forward to being back talking to you about this cool stuff.
Speaker 3: And also I'm definitely excited for X Men episode six.
Speaker 4: Now, where do they Go?
Speaker 3: Where do they go?
Speaker 4: See you next show,