Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: He's Peter Schrager, popular co host of NFL Networks Good Morning Football. Spent the past week in Indianapolis and joining us on the program after a week watching the Combine. Is it small hands or short arms? What's the most important thing to take away from the Combine here, Pete.
Speaker 3: We don't even know if it's accurate. This year, the big discrepancy was the Senior Bowl and the All Star Games had guys with one hand size. They showed up at the Combine and their hands grew a foot. So heard from a lot of scouts being like, I didn't plan on going to all these pro days, but I guess I have to because there's been major discrepancies in the measurements from just the college All Star Games to the Combine. The truth is, it's all about the interviews and it's all about the medicals.
Speaker 4: These guys got put through the ringers.
Speaker 3: And I interviewed Sean Payton yesterday on NFL Network at the Combine and he was like, we didn't even think bo Nicks threw well. We weren't even into Bownix at this point last year. So we're just getting started. Really, it's going to be a lot of investigations on these players moving on. That sounds negative, a lot of deep diving on these players over the next few weeks. But this was kind of the first introduction to a lot of these players, to a lot of the teams.
Speaker 2: But we would it felt like we were trying to make or members in the media or shows were trying to make a big deal that shud Or Sanders wasn't throwing at the Combine. And I reminded my audience the quarterbacks taken in the first round last year didn't throw at the comp Like, it's not necessarily a big deal. You throw at your pro day. Cam Ward the same thing. What about those who did throw at the combine? Did anybody stand out for good or bad reasons?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jackson dart through, well, he went. He's probably gonna be the third quarterback taken last year. I was at the combine and Caleb Williams didn't throw, and he didn't do any of the workouts, but he was like the hype man for the group, and he was around and he was present, and everyone that I spoke with is like, do you see Caleb at the combine. He didn't throw, but gosh, I love that about him.
Speaker 4: He's up in down.
Speaker 3: I was there on Saturday on the field and cam Ward is not throwing or running, but cam Ward is talking all the different quarterbacks, hyping them up. And then when Xavier Verstreppo, his wide receiver, was about to do the wide receivers drills, cam Ward starts throwing in passes, so it's almost like he is warming up.
Speaker 4: It's Shador. Sanders was electric also on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: The truth of the matter is quinn Ewers through Well, I said, Jackson dart through Well.
Speaker 4: Tyler.
Speaker 3: I can't get his name right. It's out of Louisville and Texas Tech. It's Kyler. There's like it's pronounced wrong, scug scug scug. I don't know how it's pronounced totally, And maybe that's why I'm kind of behind the eight ball on it.
Speaker 4: But he was a guy who bounced from Texas Tech to Louisville.
Speaker 3: He threw really well and ran the forty, and that was really well appreciated that he actually ran the forty. I was like, I'm gonna go for it, but no one, no one at the quarterback position solidified their spot or jumped a huge amount based on their combine workout.
Speaker 2: I like Jackson Dart a lot. I watch probably two full games at Old Miss. You got a coach who knows how to develop quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: I just don't know.
Speaker 2: He might be the third quarterback. As you said, I don't know what that third means. It feels like the difference between the second quarterback and the third quarterback could be beginning of the first round and in the beginning of the second round.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and I think that's the game.
Speaker 3: I think cam Ward is solidified right now as the number one quarterback in this draft. And I have to make sure that everyone hears this and that Dion hears this. I'm not saying he's the best quarterback in this draft. He will be the first quarterback selected in this draft. And that's how it's looking going into Pro Days and free agency and the rest. Shador is likely to Jackson Dart is likely three. And then we don't know where that three is. Is that as early as seven to the Jets or is that thirty four to the Giants.
Speaker 6: We don't know.
Speaker 3: As we do know in the history of the draft, quarterbacks and their values go up up and up until the fact that we have six taken in the first twelve like we did last year. When heading into the to the pro dace and the freegency stuff, bo Nix was looked at as an early second round pick and Michael Pennix wasn't considered a top ten selection.
Speaker 4: So their their values.
Speaker 3: Get higher as the free agency and roster development forms. And you see that teams have massive holes at quarterback. It's the most important position in sports. If someone doesn't check that box, Jackson dark Stock can go up skyrocketing because the team gets desperate and says, well, we need a quarterback and he's.
Speaker 2: A guy, and we do focus in on the quarterbacks, and rightfully so. But sometimes you get these gms who show up at the combine and they're talking about other things than what we're watching on the screen. This is where deals get done. You know, I don't know if Debo getting traded was something that you know got done at the combine. I know it was announced at the combine. It feels like Aaron Rodgers to the Giants is a possibility here, So give us sort of factor fiction here of some these other ancillary things that are dangling.
Speaker 4: I can't stress this enough.
Speaker 3: The Combine droves go on from Thursday to Sunday, and it's on NFL Network and it's Rich Eyes and Daniel Jeremiah and.
Speaker 4: That is the sizzle, that is the stake.
Speaker 3: But what's really going on, and really the importance of the Combine is that you've got representatives from all thirty two teams. Even if the head coach didn't show up this year, there are a bunch of forty nine ers people there and there's conversations happening all week because everyone's in the same place at the same time. This is where deals are done. And guess what, every NFL agent is there as well. So I talked to a GM and I said, well, what do you think of this work? I couldn't really watch the workouse we'll watch the tape. I had meetings with agents from seven am to eleven PM, and that's every agent from the biggest agent you could talk to Joel Siegel and Drew Rosenhaus, or from the smallest agent who has one player who might be an undrafted guy. They take the meetings there so their dance card is full. And that's where a lot of these deals are at least discussed and get the value, and you need can't make a deal.
Speaker 4: But what you could.
Speaker 3: Say is, hey, here's what we're hearing. This is what our player is likely going to be getting. If you're interested, let us know when the legal tampering deal starts happening. Now you add in the fact that there's media members and it's when we get to get our rumors and our stuff. But like I'll say it openly because I was publicly with them, But like I had breakfast with Brandon Bean, the GM of the Bills, and Joe Shane, the GM of the Giants, And we didn't meet in a suite in a Marriotte somewhere and quietly with like the phones plugged out. We met a breakfast spot called patachew and there was one hundred other people in the media there, and there was one hundred different gms there and everyone sees us all talking, and Eric Dacosta's having breakfast over there, and Howie Roseman's having breakfast over there.
Speaker 4: And there this is how it is.
Speaker 3: It's everyone's talking, we're all getting our information, but we're also trading information and just seeing people we don't see during the year.
Speaker 2: What do you think happens leading up to the draft, any moves that are made.
Speaker 3: I think free agency this year is really interesting because you've got a bunch of these quarterbacks and a little bit of a carousel. But I I don't know necessarily the market is there for his Like Sam Donald, if you had told me week seventeen that Sam Donald was gonna hit free agency, I'd say there would be a line out the door.
Speaker 4: I don't know Sam Donald's market right now. In fact, it went from.
Speaker 3: Being you know, no doubt Minnesota has to bring him back those eight days where they had the season finale on Sunday night against the Lions and then lost on the Monday night eight days later to the Rams, Like I don't know. That could have cost Sam Donald millions and millions and millions of dollars.
Speaker 4: And I don't have a team for him right now.
Speaker 3: Where it's gonna be, let's spill over ourselves and give Sam Donald one hundred million dollar contract once Stafford was taken care of. I think Donald's the next piece. I think Rogers is an interesting piece. I think Justin Field's is going to have a market young quarterback did Will in Pittsburgh. I think Fields might have multiple teams vying for him to be their number one, and then you have this next tier of like what do we do with Russell Wilson, where's Kirk Cousins going? And then it's guys like Jared Stidham and Taylor Heineke, like they can play in this league.
Speaker 4: That's what's next.
Speaker 3: Coming out of the combine because we have a lot of teams that are going to be looking at two quarterbacks cam Ward and Shador Sanders up there in the tops of but like, there's only so many teams that can get those guys, and you've got these other veterans that might be able to fill that hole right now and might give that those coaches and gms a better chance to win than taking a rookie in the top five.
Speaker 2: Talking to Peter Schreger, co host NFL Networks Good Morning Football NFL on Fox Insider as well, if Matthew Stafford doesn't go back to the Rams, the Rams would do what I think.
Speaker 3: The Rogers talk was real. I think Rogers was really a there's some connections there. A you've got him living in Malibu. B. He and McVeigh have met each other before at events, and they have us in similar kinship for each other as far as the work that they've done. I think Rogers was a very legitimate option. The other one was Jimmy Garoppolo, who, whether or not you want to believe it or not, Sean McVay, you'll have him on the show, you can ask him, has a.
Speaker 4: Great fondness for Jimmy Garoppolo.
Speaker 3: Garoppolo showed a lot this year in a meaningless Week eighteen game against the Seahawks. Garoppolo was dialed in with backups and gave Seattle everything they can handle and that went a long way.
Speaker 4: So they were they held the leverage in that situation.
Speaker 3: They would love to have Stafford back, but at the end of the day, they felt comfortable that if they had to move on and the numbers didn't make sense and Stafford really wanted out to go explore what he was worth on the open market, they were going to be okay. And in the end of the day, cooler heads prevailed. And I wouldn't be so bold to speak on mcveigh's behalf, especially when he's a guest on your show coming up later today.
Speaker 2: If I gave the Bears a do over, would they still have taken Caleb Williams.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yes, they were so convicted last year they didn't meet with any other quarterbacks like they were in on this thing. And I think they think that they failed Caleb in year one with a lot of different ways, and they have done everything in their power to surround him with the right coaching staff and organizational moves that he should have great success in year two.
Speaker 5: What's Brock Purty gonna.
Speaker 4: Get good money? Good money?
Speaker 5: It is great money, I think good money.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's gonna break the market. His agent, Kyle Strong And was around during Indie making the rounds. And this is not like it's a machine where it's CIA or it's WM or it's Rosen how this is an agent that like Brock Party is his guy, and he had him when he's coming out of Iowa State, and Rock Perty has been loyal to him. I think they are rational thinkers though in this thing, they're gonna get pretty top starting quarterback money. But I don't know if Perty's gonna blow out the market in a way where we're talking like oh, that's the new standard, so it's got to be this sweet spot.
Speaker 4: But you know, San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Went all in last year, didn't win, and Ebo Samuel's gone. There's gonna be a lot of different moves for San Francisco cutting salaries. They know they've got to pay Rock Party and that's a priority for them.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, we talk about window of opportunity all the time. You know that the Niners window of opportunity. It feels like the window of opportunity is closed when you look at the Eagles, you look at the Lions. The Niners were that team. Now all of a sudden, you know, Trent Williams once he got another year, and McCaffrey even play anymore, are you probably going to be gone? Your best receiver might be a guy who got shot last year. So you know the window of I always say win now, like whatever it takes, win now. If I'm Detroit, all in on Miles Garrett, if I'm Washington, all in on Miles like, win now, none of this. Hey, we're set up for the future. We see what happens with that win win now.
Speaker 3: Well, when now covers up a lot of potential, Hey wait a second, what was that? Like?
Speaker 4: People forget the Niners.
Speaker 3: In Lynch and Shanahan's first draft took Solomon Thomas number you know three over all over Mahomes and you know whoever else, and then they took Ruben Foster and to like, we don't talk about Wow, they really missed on that draft. And the third overall pick that took Solomon Thomas, they traded three first round picks for Trey Lance, Like, we don't talk about that. We talk about the wins and the success and the ability to find Brock Purty and to find George Kittle and to get all these moves to get Christian McCaffrey there. I have no doubt they don't regret going all in and paying Iyuk his money last year and paying debo because they were three points away from a super Bowl and if they don't receive the kickoff, who knows what happens in that super Bowl where that's an organization and Jed York since he took over the organization has knocked on the door so many times for that Lombardi that they were going all in last year. It just fell apart in historic fashion and they didn't even make the playoffs. They're gonna feel it this year, they will, but Brock Perty it's not on him. I think he actually played really well and they respect the fact that he stood in the pocket, he took the hits, and he had a good season last year despite a lot of shortcomings for that team.
Speaker 2: The tush push came back to life. As far as let's outlaw it. It felt like that was the topic of conversation or one of the big topics there. It's cold off a little bit, it feels like, but I don't know if it's cold off enough that we go, yeah, let's table this until next year. But I don't know, like what, what's your general consensus of where are we headed with any changes to this play.
Speaker 3: I think behind closed doors people don't like it, and away from the microphone, people think it's it's not a pretty play.
Speaker 4: It's you know that you saw the health.
Speaker 3: And safety data came out that there's been zero engines from the tushbush. So a lot of that is a little window dressing. They're like, oh, it's not a safe play. I just think people don't. It's like kind of gross to watch it. It's not fun. It's like, all right, here we go. It's a formality almost like the extra point that said there's this masculinity and there's this machesemo amongst the NFL where if you're out there and Marahee Morris was out there, He's like, I don't like it, and.
Speaker 4: People were like, oh, well, if you don't like it, then you got to stop it.
Speaker 3: There's this there's this like oh testosterone Philip thing where you know, the Eagles do it and you're not going to take it. I can't imagine they remove it. The injury data is not there. It is a play of skill in a lot of ways. And the fact that Jason Kelsey retired, Cam Jurgens filled in and they were able to execute it at the way they did it does feel like you're penalizing the Eagles if you're getting rid of it.
Speaker 4: But from an.
Speaker 3: Aesthetics standpoint, call me an artist, if you will, or a poet or someone.
Speaker 4: Who's into, you know, the beauty of the game.
Speaker 3: I don't like watching it. I don't think a lot of people like watching it. But it is a certain play and it hasn't been stopped, and one team excels at it. You can't get rid of it based on that. You got to get rid of it based on Hey, there's players getting hurt at a higher rate, and that's just not.
Speaker 4: The case right now.
Speaker 2: I still think that they would be extremely successful with just a quarterback. Sneak, you took away the lineman behind Jalen Hurts. Given his ability to do he's unique. This is really he does something. You know, when you're gonna squat five hundred or six hundred pounds whatever, like, he has an advantage that I think that they would still be very successful. You know, JJ Watt joined us last week and he said, look, the play's unstoppable. So here, three time Defensive Player of the Year said you can't stop it.
Speaker 5: So I mean we had fun.
Speaker 3: We had fun with Frankie Luvu from the Commanders jumping over three times hocularly being.
Speaker 5: Like, we're gonna do it.
Speaker 3: That's not that's not that's look, that's not what John Facenda wanted to be.
Speaker 4: You know, do an NFL films highlights over. I promise you that.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. I know you had a busy week. Thanks for making some time.
Speaker 4: You're the best.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: They pushed our show from Good Morning Football back a little bit and I haven't been able to come on all season.
Speaker 4: It's a thrill for me to be able to do it today.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to be at Lambeau for the Draft. Yeah, we would love to be able to.
Speaker 8: See you up there.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know you'll be important. We're just a little show.
Speaker 4: When I wear a suit and tie, I'm a different guy here casually. I love being with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you have a suit and tie on, do not approach you. Okay, fair enough, that's Peter Shregg.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: Kevin Fraser, Michelle Turner, the popular co host of Entertainment Tonight, and it's a tradition unlike any other when they join us on very little sleep. Always great to see you, especially you, Michelle.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 2: I got a great We've been trying to do comps with the Academy Award winners and also sports guys.
Speaker 5: So here's one for you. Here's one for you, Okay.
Speaker 2: McCauley caukin and Kieren Caukin, Bobby Hurley, Danny Hurley. So so McCauley caukin a lot of success, Young Bobby Hurley a lot of success when he was younger, and then both brothers, Kieran and Danny Hurley come out of the shadows and now they're having their moment.
Speaker 5: I love that, Thank you.
Speaker 7: I would say I would go even further back, Dan, and I would go to Van Arsdale's Brothers.
Speaker 8: Boy, you know, I'll take you all the way back to.
Speaker 7: Van Oresdale's and that's that's where I would I would eat in that one out.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 9: And I was about to say, like the Curry family are like the scars Guards.
Speaker 8: Oh really yeah.
Speaker 9: Okay that dell, Yeah, I think, I mean, you know, there's three of them, there's three of the Curry's.
Speaker 8: Like, okay, okay, I can give you that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you can give me that.
Speaker 8: I can give you that one. That's that was quality.
Speaker 5: Okay, what about me?
Speaker 6: Moore?
Speaker 5: Matt Ryan.
Speaker 8: So close?
Speaker 7: That was you know what that I would say that or you could say Russell Wilson or anybody from Seattle who came so close, but they won.
Speaker 5: They did win one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and so that's why Matt Ryan is a.
Speaker 10: Great, a very good one.
Speaker 9: That's or like Charles Barkley even maybe like.
Speaker 8: You know, did you ever really think Charles is gonna win that final.
Speaker 10: If I didn't do that to my Chuck body thought.
Speaker 8: That they were gonna win that finals.
Speaker 9: I looked at it more like Demi will go down in the Hall of Fame. She's had an incredible career, a long career. We know her, we talk about her. We're going to be celebrating her for a long.
Speaker 8: Time like we do Chuck, Dan Marino.
Speaker 10: There you go, oh there you okay?
Speaker 2: What about Adrian Brody? What twenty plus years in between wins?
Speaker 8: Yep?
Speaker 2: Is there a sports comp for somebody who won, uh and then came back and won again twenty Maybe maybe Jack Nicholas at forty six winning the Masters.
Speaker 9: That's got to be the closest day.
Speaker 10: I'm trying.
Speaker 7: But Jack had so much Again, Adrian has done those two things.
Speaker 8: That has been it. I mean that role is his role.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and when he plays it and he kisses Halle Berry, he wins a host.
Speaker 10: That is very true.
Speaker 2: That is very true, Kevin, What would you rather do kiss Halle Barrier win an Academy award?
Speaker 8: Come on, I mean that's not.
Speaker 7: You can pick up you can pick up an Academy award down on Hollywood Boulevard, right nobody.
Speaker 9: I was thinking about this though, Dann, when I knew we were coming on to talk to you, And because there's such this conversation about who's going to be the new face of the NBA and who would like to be and I was thinking, who will be the new face of Hollywood?
Speaker 10: It has to be Timothy Shallowy?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 9: So is he like the Anthony Edward of Hollywood right now?
Speaker 2: Like the Shay or like Shay Well, but you know Anthony Edwards doesn't want to be the face of the NBA. Does Timothy Chala may want to be the face of Hollywood?
Speaker 9: Do you believe that Anthony Edwards really doesn't want to be the face of the NBA.
Speaker 8: Timothy Shallowy is SGA?
Speaker 5: You think he said Shay Gilchris Alexander.
Speaker 10: Maybe in the way they dress.
Speaker 7: They dress alike, they have that flamboyce. They both say I want to be the best. I'm going to be the boy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean, but I look at it like Anthony Edwards is that guy too. He'll come and tell you in your face, I'm gonna bust your behind.
Speaker 10: He's gonna tell you.
Speaker 9: He told President Obama, I'm the truth. Timothy shallow May got on that stage at.
Speaker 8: The second one.
Speaker 9: I'm the truth. I'm chasing greatness. This is what I'm gonna do. And so that kind of is why I make the correlation there. And I don't believe for a second that Anthony Edwards does not want to be the face of the NBA.
Speaker 10: Don't believe him for a second.
Speaker 2: Talking to Kevin Frasier and Michelle Turner from Entertainment tonight, I don't buy into it. But sometimes you hear this, somebody's too young to win, right? Was Timothy Challoway too young to win?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 9: No, that wasn't the Adrian Rody won for the Pianist when he was twenty nine, So no, okay. Timothy shallow May was also the lead think about this Dan the lead of two of the top ten movies of the year, two of the Best Picture nominees. He was the lead of Doom two, the lead of a complete unknown. The kid is he's got some business with it.
Speaker 7: I think the problem is that Bob Dylan was invited to perform and also to appear or at least present, and Bob Dylan didn't want to say a word about this movie. And I think it would have got helped get him over the hump. I thought it was the best performance of the year what Timothy shallow May did, and he brought a new audience to Bob Dylan's music.
Speaker 8: I wish Bob Dylan.
Speaker 7: Would have supported him a little bit, and I think it could have helped maybe push him over the hump.
Speaker 8: A little bit.
Speaker 2: I think we're all better that Bob Dylan didn't perform Kevin. I'm just I'm just saying.
Speaker 6: Somebody.
Speaker 2: Somebody had to say it, and I'm gonna say it said. Although it would have made Timothy sound even better if they would have, right, But I thought he was I thought he was great. Here's the problem I had with the movie is Dylan has spent an entire career wearing a mask.
Speaker 5: We don't really know who he is. The movie didn't tell you who he was.
Speaker 2: It just chronicled a time that was really important in our history, sir music.
Speaker 10: So you that's why it was called a complete unknown.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you didn't know him and you still don't know who he is. But it feels like we know him because we've grown up with his music. But you know, I saw Adrian Brody portray somebody, and I thought I knew more about the person he was portraying than I did Timothy Challow May with Bob Dylan.
Speaker 8: But have you seen Adrian Brody play similar role before? Yes, yes you have, and he is really really good at that.
Speaker 7: But I thought it was It was a great performance in a great movie, but it was something of a little bit.
Speaker 8: Of a redo.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that I went to Saving Private Ryan after party with my wife because I I got to pick.
Speaker 5: Between that or Shakespeare in Love.
Speaker 2: And I told my wife, I said, hun, Saving Private Ryan is going to be incredible. It'll be They're gonna win all the awards.
Speaker 7: It's like last night, would you have taken the invitation to the Honora Party or the Wicked Party?
Speaker 9: Well, I still would take the invitation to the Wicked Party.
Speaker 8: Or the Conclave Party or.
Speaker 9: The Yeah, I still would take the invitation to the Conclave party.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really, the Conclave Party.
Speaker 9: I love me some Stanley Tucci, I love me some rape Fines.
Speaker 10: I love me some John Litgoe.
Speaker 9: John Lithgow was the breakout of the Oscars last night.
Speaker 8: And look you love that movie too?
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 7: I love that And we must say look Let's be honest. We are two of the people who did not really think Anora would win.
Speaker 10: No, and and Dan.
Speaker 9: You know, I will tell you one of my producers had been saying to me for weeks, Girl opened your eyes. People loving this movie. They're they're voting for this movie. There's this big swell for this movie. And I kept saying, Okay, I liked it. I didn't love it. Give me pretty Woman over Anora any day of the week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if strip teas meant animal house, you'd have a Nora not animal you know, I mean really literally, I was That's what surprised me.
Speaker 9: Well, Kevin and I both said, it's the Players Club.
Speaker 7: That's like La rag McCoy, better go get her, better go get her, Oscar her and ice Cube deserves some credit.
Speaker 2: Now, I thought it was. I loved it, but the pace of it made me exhausted. I mean it was just a frenetic pace. But you couldn't take your eyes off of her of like that. That's one of the what of what heard of her?
Speaker 8: Kevin.
Speaker 9: She was in every frame of that movie, every single frame of that movie. That was a true lead actress type of movie. And that actually thinking about it, may have hurt to me more a little bit because Demi was in fifty percent of that movie.
Speaker 8: That's a great point.
Speaker 7: But I still thought this was her night and that Hollywood was going to love her too, and it was going to be her moment. And if you look at the video of just as they're about to announce the winner, you see her heart beat and you're like, ye oh God, oh God.
Speaker 2: And I know, Kevin, you've never had that feeling when you're waiting to get your name called old for an award. I have, And oh my god, it's just and you gotta be nice. And she's on camera and she's problem. She's been told by everybody you're gonna win, You're gonna win night. Yeah, you're dressed up.
Speaker 5: I mean, she's ready to go. It was heartbreaking for there. No, I felt so bad for her.
Speaker 10: I did too, because I did too. And think about that.
Speaker 9: She's sixty two, she's been an over sixty films. She's had almost a fifty year career in this business. Mikey Madison's twenty five. She's been in less than ten movies. Yes, and she's just getting started. And I'm not one that says give those Lifetime Achievement.
Speaker 10: Oscars or Career Oscars.
Speaker 9: But I do think that this was material that Demi got her hands on that she may not get her hands on material like this again.
Speaker 10: Yes, and this was the moment for her.
Speaker 7: Two people deserved Oscars last night to Me Moore and Diane Warre.
Speaker 11: Oh, poor Diane war Diane Warren is sixteen in she's got to write a song about losing the oscar, Like, let's just let's just come out and spoof it and write a song about why do I keep losing this.
Speaker 7: On Saturday Night Live this week on Saturday Night Live, singing that's all right.
Speaker 5: I'll leave you with this.
Speaker 2: Who had a great night without winning an Academy Award? Who would stand O'Brien Okay, okay, halle Berry.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well she has a great night where.
Speaker 8: She goes.
Speaker 5: Comes back next year.
Speaker 10: Yes, I hope.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 10: I thought he was great, I really did. I thought he was effortless. I thought he was great.
Speaker 9: The only bit that I don't think worked.
Speaker 10: I thought they should have just brought.
Speaker 9: The first responders and firefighters out and gave them applause.
Speaker 10: I did.
Speaker 9: I don't think the bit landed when they were giving the jokes.
Speaker 10: I don't think it landed.
Speaker 8: I think Conan is back.
Speaker 7: If Dan you don't want the gig, if you turn it down again.
Speaker 10: I'm voting for Dan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I turned it down again.
Speaker 2: I'm the Diane Warren of turning down the Academy fourteen.
Speaker 8: Adam Sandler's there and you're not. What's happening in the world?
Speaker 7: Get a came next to Wait a minute, Wait a minute, let's get an ET exclusive right now?
Speaker 8: Are you in and what part you have?
Speaker 2: I'm in Happy Gilmore too, and I play a sportscaster. It's a stretch, but I I'm kind of the Adrian Brody of Happy Gilmore Too.
Speaker 9: I love that twenty years apart and it's the it's what makes the movie well.
Speaker 10: I love that. Adam Sandler also had on the Steph Curries last night.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 10: He had those stats on last night.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys again, always great to see you.
Speaker 8: It's a tradition.
Speaker 5: Thank thank you.
Speaker 9: I'm just glad to be invited to the party using the Dan Patrick invitation over.
Speaker 2: Wicked nor All the Michelle you are the party. You are the party. That's Michelle Turner, Kevin Fraser, Inner, Taman Tonight co host will take a break. When we come back, we'll talk to the Rams head coach Sean McVeagh after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 5: In the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 13: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search coven on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll sneak in a couple of phone calls best and Worst of the Weekend eight seven to seven three DP shows. We wait for Sean McVay, the Rams head coach, Paulie your best and worst of the weekend. We forgot about you.
Speaker 8: I will go best of the weekend.
Speaker 14: Not just that Saint John's basketball is good again, but Rick Patino brought out the white suit at the end of the day, and that means they're back. You bring out the white suit. The game should have been called when he walked out with the white suit. There's really no chance I'm beating him with his white suit. Worst of the weekend. Rob Manfred, major League Baseball Commissioner, to even consider Pete Rose for reinstatement.
Speaker 8: Here's why it's fae. It's fake. It's uh.
Speaker 14: You could have reinstated him many times over the years. There's nothing to reinstate he can't work in baseball again, and there's nothing has changed with what he did or didn't do. It's a lifetime ban. Do it now is just fake platitudes or fake nice guy stick with what you did.
Speaker 2: But wouldn't you accrue more goodwill by doing it when Pete was still alive?
Speaker 14: Right, he didn't he If he does it now, it's because he knows Pete Rose cannot work in baseball again and he cannot give a speech at the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Well, that might be right there, that he's not going to give a speech, because Pete giving a speech at cooper'stown would certainly be interesting what he would say. But from what we're told, this is just a coincidence of Baseball reconsidering putting Pete, reinstating Pete Rose, and Donald Trump saying that he's going to pardon Pete Rose. That it's separate things. You know, Pete went to prison for income tax evation, and I think that's what now. President Trump was also talking about Pete should be in the Hall of Fame as well.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Pauling and the other thing is another reason Manfred shouldn't do it. Then you have to change a rule. The rule hasn't change. It's a lifetime ban and doesn't go nothing changes because you pass way.
Speaker 2: I just think there's a lot more to the Pete Rose story, and there's probably let's just say, I'm aware that there's a lot more to the Pete Rose story. But does it see the light of day? And that's there's part of me that hopes that it doesn't from what I've been told, But I'll leave it at that. I know it's purposely vague, but I think there was a lot more that was going on with Pete Rose than what Baseball had to acknowledge. Let me put it that way, Seeton, what was the pole question for the final hour of the program?
Speaker 15: You know, we have a quick update on would you rather have very small hands or very short arms? That has come back to a lot closer. Before it was a runaway small hands. Now small hands is sitting at about sixty five percent. The short arms movement is making a.
Speaker 5: Big comeback, okay, a huge comeback okay.
Speaker 15: And then most promising team in the NFL right now, recency bias, but commanders run with that one out of the Texans, Chargers and Broncos or other.
Speaker 2: Options okay from DraftKings over under touchdown passes for Jade and Daniels for next season after they just acquired Deebo Samuel Paul, I'm gonna start with you, Jade and Daniels over under passing touchdowns next season.
Speaker 8: Twenty seven and a half, Todd twenty five.
Speaker 15: And a half, Seaton twenty nine and one a half, Marvin twenty four and a half, twenty two and a half.
Speaker 5: That's surprising. It's called motivation right there.
Speaker 2: Aren't they screaming for you to take the over there? He had twenty five last year.
Speaker 8: Mm.
Speaker 2: Things that make you go hmm. Twenty two and a half passing touchdowns for Jade and Daniels. And once again, as I said in the first hour, we forget sometimes how you get to your win total. They went to the NFC title game, did we check? Did they win six or seven games in the last possession, the last minute of a game?
Speaker 5: And while I love seeing that.
Speaker 2: Certainly from a rookie quarterback, I don't want to be in that situation because the odds are you're not going to be getting that number of wins, you know, on a semi regular basis. Sean McVay eight seasons Rams head coach and won a Super Bowl champ I got a story for you. This is fifty two years ago. Yeah, my dad worked with your grandfather at the University of Dayton. Yeah so your dad was a grandfather was the coach. My dad worked in computer science at the University of Dayton. He says to your grandfather, give me all of the information, give me all the tendencies of the opponent you're going to play. I'm going to put it into a computer and I'm going to give you this. So my father was one of the first people to ever do this.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he was helping your grandfather. And I always wanted to tell you that story that he spoke very highly of your grandfather and the fact that he would listen to some guy in the computer science department at the University of Dayton giving all this information and my dad would say, here's tendencies of third and eight of you know, forty yard line or what they did in the you know, inside the twenty. Uh So I always wanted to tell you that, you know that.
Speaker 6: That's and that's incredible.
Speaker 16: My grandpa was the most humble, just good man. He's a reason why that's an amazing story. I can't believe I didn't know that and that we haven't connected before to hear that.
Speaker 6: But he he.
Speaker 16: Has afforded me opportunities Dan that I would never have gotten otherwise because of the way he treated people, the way that he always was, so respectful, so humble, so willing to listen.
Speaker 6: You know, I always talk about you know, he was.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 16: I'm going to listen, learn then I can lead, And he was he was the best. He was so steady, and uh man, I know this. I would never be in the position that I'm in if it wasn't for the you know, McVeigh family name and legacy that he set and you want to work as hard as you can to make them proud.
Speaker 2: But where we are fifty two, three, four or five years later with analytics, can you be too analytical from a head coaching perspective?
Speaker 6: You know, I think so.
Speaker 16: I think it's a portion of it, and I do think that part of the really good coaches they use that as a portion to make decisions. And then there are certain things where the feel for the flow of the game, you know, the enemy has to say. There's some different things that you have to understand that are going on that maybe, Okay, this is different than what we had planned. There's twenty two moving parts, and so I think the best coaches use that as a part of their process in regards to the decision making. And then the best ones, I think they have a feel for the flow of the game where it's either confirming or oh, this is a little bit different than we anticipated. And how do we show the flexibility and the fluidity to be able to adjust an adapt in game.
Speaker 5: Why didn't you go to the combine?
Speaker 16: I didn't go to the combine because really we've got such trust in our group of scouts to be able to do the vetting and ultimately the tape is the biggest measure for what we evaluate, and so as coaches, our scouts are a little bit more ahead in terms of evaluating the game tape. They do such a great job with the vetting process using the numbers and similar to analytics Dan, you know, this is a portion of the evaluation. But ultimately, we're asking them to play football, and so we want to be able to know the human being and then we ultimately want to be able to see what kind of football player they are and what kind of vision do we have to be able to bring them in our environment and atmosphere to help them be at their best. And so there's a lot of trust that we have in our scouts, but I do think that there can be some misleading feels that you can get in some of these fifteen minute increments that aren't necessarily conducive forgetting to know the total human being. And that's where there's that trust. In terms of the vetting process that our scouts go through.
Speaker 2: How close did it get to you losing Matthew Stafford?
Speaker 5: Okay, you never.
Speaker 6: Did, and it never really got close.
Speaker 16: I think the important thing Dan was at the start of this process, you know, and I've been pretty open about some of the communication and the clarity that will deserved. And I had some growing up to do when we ended up making the move to acquire Matthew for Jared Goff, you know, to acquire Matthew and move Jared Goff, and so wanted to have clear, open and honest dialogue throughout that process, but we never The end goal in mine was always to be able to get him back, and I realized how much I wanted to get that solved when I've been sleeping so much better over the last couple of nights than I was the previous couple weeks.
Speaker 2: Take me back to the game against the Eagles. I truly thought you guys were winning that game. Just felt like, but give me the play that you're running through your mind of second guessing yourself at the end of that game.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's funny because it could have worked out.
Speaker 16: So the third and two sequence, when we're on the thirteen yard line with you know, a minute thirteen left, you know, we ended up having a little bit of a miscommunication up front.
Speaker 6: They were in a man coverage where they were doubling the coup up.
Speaker 16: We might add a chance if we ended up blocking it up right to be able to hit Higbey on a little whip route or maybe a second window off for Cup from a slant route from the backside. We ended up going negative and that put us in a fourth down situation. But not that just hated the call, But she said, Okay, if you had that over again, what would you do, knowing that we had two downs, probably could have run it, moved down some more clock. You're really a little bit less risk averse in terms of what ended up occurrent right there, so that sequence will stick. But ultimately I was proud of our group, Dan, I really was, and I thought Matthew played excellent, our guys competed. I thought we got better throughout the year, and obviously Philly is a tremendous team.
Speaker 6: They went on to convincingly do their thing in the next two games. But that one will sting.
Speaker 16: But I think it'll sting so much because of the growth. I don't know that I've ever been a part of a team that I felt like grew as much through so many challenging circumstances throughout the course of the year.
Speaker 6: And then obviously something.
Speaker 16: Way bigger than football with the fires that we dealt with the previous couple weeks.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Sean McVay, the Rams head coach. We had a bet around here, if you've already had your more pump in your morning lift, Todd, you said what that Sean had already done his morning lift?
Speaker 5: Yes or no?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I believe he has all right, Seaton, Yeah, definitely, yeah, Marvin, yes, yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 8: Eight thirty, no doubt he got a lift in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd say, oh, you're damn right.
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 5: What are you benching now?
Speaker 16: Oh, I don't know what I'm benching. I just know that I get up. I actually go and work out with Andrew Whitworth. He's got a gym and so I'm not working. I'm not lifting the same as him, but he's keeping me in shape both mentally and physically, and so we do that at six in the morning, four days a week.
Speaker 5: But I uh, I'm trying to think who.
Speaker 2: I spoke to a Kevin O'Connell and I said, you know, if we do a combine for coaches, he had he puts you up there at the top. You know he thought you being competitive? Uh that you know going through all you know, three cone drill. Of course, I don't know what you ran there. What was your best forty yard dashtime?
Speaker 16: Well, I mean this is I think my dad had the handheld when I was in the f or fives.
Speaker 6: You know they say four four you know, let's put it this way.
Speaker 16: If I ran on an fat at Indy, I'd be lucky to be in the four to six is at my best.
Speaker 2: Okay, But yeah, Dan Campbell would dominate you in the bench press.
Speaker 6: I'm guessing I'm not messing with Dan there's no disputing that.
Speaker 5: Who takes credit for Pooka Nakua.
Speaker 16: I would say this, I think you know. I'll tell you who was a huge fan of his. Obviously Less was a huge fan. James Gladstone was a big fan of him before anybody.
Speaker 6: I know that. I can remember when.
Speaker 16: Mike Lafleur and I were really watching him and watching some of the different things that we like to evaluate in terms of aggressive hands.
Speaker 6: Really we were looking.
Speaker 16: For somebody that brought the element of toughness, competitiveness.
Speaker 2: Was explaining aggressive hands. What's aggressive hands?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 16: I think one of the best ways that you can evaluate aggressive hands where you're stepping to the football.
Speaker 6: When somebody's running in breaking routes.
Speaker 16: Do they stay flat? Are they friendly? Are they coming back on negative angles? Are they staying grounded through the catch? Are they to catch it away from their frame and then immediately get up the field. I think that's where you see some of these special players that have those aggressive hands to go attack the football, as opposed to when you'll see guys running in breaking routes, they might drift up the field because they're not as confident to step back to it. That was one of our favorite things about Puka, the competitive toughness. At BYU, he was catching a lot of bubbles and running jet sweeps and so a lot of the run after the catch was something that was enticing.
Speaker 6: And you know, if you said, did you think he'd be this good? We had a vision. We thought he would be good.
Speaker 16: But if he was gonna if we knew he was gonna be this good, we'd be silly to say we were gonna wait till the fifth round to take him.
Speaker 5: What does the Cooper Cup situation him on?
Speaker 16: Yeah, honestly, you know, he's been so instrumental to our group for the eight years. You know, his rookie year coincides with my first year. Dan, this guy means a whole lot to me. He's been instrumental in setting the culture, establishing a legacy that is already cemented as one.
Speaker 6: Of the all time rams.
Speaker 16: Think the hard part is is you have to be able to make decisions where you say, all, right, where are we going, what does it look like for the collective, and how are you putting this puzzled again year in? How are you putting this puzzle together year in and year out? And so we're in the midst of finding a trade partner for him, and if we're not able to do that, then we'll see what the next steps are. But that's kind of the process that we're in, working with himself and Ryan Torner to find a trade partner.
Speaker 5: How is fatherhood impacted your coaching?
Speaker 6: It's given me a purpose and a perspective.
Speaker 16: You know some of the things I used to get worked up about, Dan, It's just, you know things you're just reminded of who you want to be when you see that little boy smile at you. How you want to treat his mother, how you want to act in teract and respond the right way to show him what a real man is.
Speaker 6: I've said this before.
Speaker 16: I can remember when went through some challenging times in the twenty two season and we were five and twelve.
Speaker 6: Man, it really tested a lot of the things. That revealed a lot of insecurities that I had.
Speaker 16: And you're thinking about walking away from coaching, and the one thing that I think always residents with me is that I would have never been able to look at my son and say, hey, do as I say, not as I did.
Speaker 6: When adversity hits.
Speaker 16: And so you talk about making you better in every form of your life and man, just bringing a joy and a perspective. He doesn't care about those bad play calls that I make on Sundays.
Speaker 6: He's just happy to see dad dad.
Speaker 16: And I said that to Witt and Fits when I went on their podcast, and Fit said, yeah, not yet.
Speaker 6: Once he's old enough, he'll be criticizing you for those calls.
Speaker 5: Can you change a diaper in the time of a play clock?
Speaker 6: You know what, I think I can.
Speaker 16: I got to make sure I get the wipes ready if this is the number two, though, But if this is the number one, I can do that pretty efficiently.
Speaker 7: I might.
Speaker 16: I think I can do that out of a clock stoppage with twenty five cents.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, congrats on last season and nice to be able to connect with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely appreciate you having me on Dan.
Speaker 5: That's Sean McVay.