Speaker 1: Hey, besties, Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, So Mallier Alison Morris Roslyn is here to give us all the insider tips on picking and.
Speaker 1: Buying the right wine. It's hard.
Speaker 2: Plus we play a little game of no way rose or wine not. Yeah, we know how that sounds. It's Friday, May twenty fourth. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 3: And I'm Simone Boyce and this is the bright side from Hello Sunshine. Before we get started, I have to give you a shout out. Last night, I used your makeup preservation technique.
Speaker 2: You know, we've only talked about this privately, not publicly, so nobody knows what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I think it's time. I think it's time to share it with our closestriths.
Speaker 1: Honestly, a good tip.
Speaker 3: It is, okay. So here's Danielle's technique. Whenever she gets her glam done, she sleeps in the eye shadow makeup, so she removes very carefully removes the rest of her face makeup, but then the eye makeup the same. And then do you just kind of like mummify when you sleep? How do you? Because I tried to do it last night and I have a rogue eyelash corner that needs to be glued back down.
Speaker 2: First of all, easy to fix the eyelash, you know, like hard to redo the whole eye.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I learned this when I was doing a morning show in Chicago because I was up at like three am every day and I was exhausted and there was no.
Speaker 1: Way I was going to redo my eye makeup every day.
Speaker 2: So I would just wash my face and then you can redo the face real easily, right, like you put some foundation on. But it's a preservation technique, and yours looks great.
Speaker 3: It's okay, It's I kind of wish I had just like redone it.
Speaker 2: I feel like everyone's going to come for me too, because I hear people on the other end going ooh.
Speaker 3: I think it's fine because you're not going to clog any pores on your eyes. It's not like you get pimples on your eyes. You get pimples on your cheeks and your chin and forehead and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't do it for more than one day? Sure, No, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Okay. I have a related question. How long do you reuse the same pair of eyelashes for? Honest?
Speaker 2: Yeah, honest, See, I think you're supposed to just do them like one, two or three times. But like, if I'm traveling, I have a separate travel set of makeup, and if it's all I have, I'll read use them a bunch until they lose shape.
Speaker 3: For sure. Yeah, I do the same thing. Yeah, I mean, especially if I'm paying extra for one of those Minks eyelashes. You best believe I'm going to be reusing that.
Speaker 2: The Ardell fake eyelashes that are at the drugstore are my very favorite.
Speaker 1: I get the individuals.
Speaker 3: Oh, the individuals are good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and they're cheap. Okay, this is kind of related what we're talking about today because we're talking about summer trends. It's almost Memorial Day and I can't believe it, but that means summer's upon us. So there's a whole new wave of fashion trends hitting the streets and of course the innerweb.
Speaker 3: So because I am chronically online, I have found this social media account that I'm really interested in. I'm fascinated by this woman. It's called Data but Make It Fashion, and it's by a creator named made Laporta, and she's taking a really interesting approach when it comes to trends. So we all are curious. Okay, what should I be buying this season? What's out? What should I get rid of? This account tracks fashion trends based on data points like search terms, related posts on social media as an indicator of what's catching on right now.
Speaker 2: You know, once in a while you get a gem from somebody like who they follow? This was a gem. H this is a very cool account.
Speaker 3: It's really really cool. I love you know, I love science. I mean I love the research backed approach to fashion. She's a computer scientist. M I know.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Okay, tell us about the trends.
Speaker 3: Okay, So low rise jeans are up about forty one percent in popularity recently.
Speaker 2: Bye, who I need to know who is wearing these?
Speaker 3: I'm wearing low rise jeens right now, wide leg asos. These were so cheap, like thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: It's not the price point, it's the style.
Speaker 1: I can't do that.
Speaker 2: I don't have the stomach for that.
Speaker 1: What do you mean low ride?
Speaker 2: Like that wasn't good for me When I was in eighth grade. I was so happy when high rise came out.
Speaker 3: But you wear cargo pants.
Speaker 2: I do wear cargoes.
Speaker 3: Cargoes are kind of in the low rise family. They're a cousin to low rise.
Speaker 1: I buy a high rise cargo. I'm a high rise girl. Low rise.
Speaker 2: That's like, remember when Brittany was doing Toxic and had like all those abs.
Speaker 1: It's just not my thing. I like cheeseburger.
Speaker 3: You never got into the Brazilian jeans with the tiny little zipper. Do you remember those? It was like the micro zipper.
Speaker 2: No, okay, maybe this this is for tall people, you can do that.
Speaker 3: No, this is a Miami thing because in Miami. In Miami, we literally had this like Brazilian Jeans superstore and you would go in. I swear to you, the zipper was probably an inch long. It's like a hind size of a penny. Yes, you can see your hip bones like all of it. It like shows everything. But anyways, I don't think you need to go that. I know they're back, but I'm I'm loving it. I love the low rise jeans.
Speaker 1: I love that for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, tortoises shell sunglasses are up thirty eight percent in popularity according to data, But make it fashion.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: I love yeah, I tortoiseshell timeless. Yes on the heels of that brown leather accessories are actually down eighteen percent in popularity, So I understand.
Speaker 2: That I want to know where this has come, Like how why?
Speaker 3: I think maybe, I guess maybe black. I'm seeing a lot of black and gold belts, belts are back, belts are back, black and gold sunglasses, gold frame. You know those tiny gold frame sunglasses with the black lenses.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I'm laughing because I dated a guy one time who was so stylish, like he I would feel uncomfortable almost getting dressed during the day because I was like, I can't walk next to him like he's so he must think my outfits are horrible. So one day I asked him, I was like, do you think, like, would you get rid of anything in my closet? Do you hate anything I wear? And you know, I like feedback And he was like, let me think about it. I think the belts And I was like, what do you mean? And he's like, there's like a lot of belts with jeans, and I think I would just get rid of the belts.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I'm gonna bring them back.
Speaker 3: Well, send them over to data, but make it fashion and he can eat his own words. Yeah, Okay, we have to talk about flip flops. Okay, this is your opus, flip flops.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm really devastated to report that flip flops are up twenty five percent in popularity. You guys, this is an epidemic that is affecting a lot of people right now, and it's just not it's not good for the country, it's not good for the culture. It's it's really tragic. I don't like this at all.
Speaker 2: I think you just have to be a little more specific because you don't mind slides, you don't like the flippity flaps.
Speaker 3: I don't like the sound that flip flops make, you know, the smacking sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't let I don't like that. Do you have a core memory that's bothering you?
Speaker 3: I wore them. I wore them a lot growing up, and I think it just this is, you know what. I'm just going to show up and be myself and just say the thing that I want to say, because this is kind of harsh, but I just think that flip flops are cheap. They're cheap looking like there's a place for flip flops. Wear them from the hotel room to the pool, wear them to the beach. I totally get it. They're practical, functional, but in everyday life, I just think they're cheap looking and it reminds me of like when I was broke. You know, so you have PTSD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I get it.
Speaker 2: I have a hard time with flip flops because I have a hard time with anything flat because I'm five to one. So I also have a hard time with like ballet toe or ballet slipper flats.
Speaker 1: All those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some people can pull them off. It's not for me. I need a little wedge, like I love my Air Force once because they give me an inch or two.
Speaker 3: After the break, we're talking and tasting wines with Alison Morris Roslin and.
Speaker 2: It feels like we're already tipsy. We'll be right back. We're back in summer season is quickly approaching, and Simone, I don't know about you, but I'm already day dreaming of those late summer afternoons in the park or by the pool with a cool glass of wine.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a dream. A glass of wine. It's a favorite summer accessory here on the bright Side, which is why we've asked level three PM Leier Alison Morris Roslin to join us today. Alison is a former news anchor and now the founder of Francy Not Fancy. It's a luxury wine consulting company. She's also a dear, dear friend of mine and I'm so excited to see her. Welcome Allison.
Speaker 1: Hi, guys, I'm so happy to be with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you became a level three somalier. I need to separate those two things. What does it even mean to become a psalm? And then what does it mean to become a level three palm?
Speaker 1: So Sam is a wine prow We say some because some of you as a French word that is annoying for non French speaking people to say, so we say salm. Let's just keep it simple. Level three is the wine certification level where you can work on a restaurant. You have to do blind tastings, pass a big exam, and so like level three is the one you want to get to. There are masters which are four and five. You can go higher than that, but that's like the crazy kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I feel like we need to tell everybody that you guys used to work together.
Speaker 3: Yes we did. Alison and I have worked together in two different locations.
Speaker 1: So you guys did local news together. Yeah, yes, we.
Speaker 3: Work together in New York City and then we also work together at National News, so too, scene is all.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm so curious about your pivot.
Speaker 2: How does somebody go from news to being a palm? Like did you just drink every night after you did these stories?
Speaker 1: And we're like, maybe I should. It's a career.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First, let me just say, you go so quickly when like you have the idea like end them out, but I so quick version out of college, I moved to France. My mom's family's from France, and I worked in Paris for a while and just by happenstance, made a friend there who family owned a chateau in Bordeaux for years and years and years. Was like the best friend you could ever meet. And I didn't really know anything about wine, but Jeange, as my husband makes fun of me when we call him, taught me everything. Like he knew about wines and we were always drinking great wines at his house and it was just always something that was kind of a hobby for me. I was working in news at the time then, so I just you know, it was just fun. And then this is totally true but sounds completely bonkers. I was nearing the end of my last TV contract. I was homesick with COVID. I started like binge watching the Julia Child Show on Max or whatever, and had a dream, like a crazy dream overnight that I quit the news became a sum It was nuts.
Speaker 3: I have to brag on Alison for a little bit, because Alison, we love celebrating multidimensional women on the show, and Alison, your multitudes are just incredible shining. Alison graduated from Yale, then she became a financial reporter. She did that in Europe, she worked for CNBC. Then she became a news anchor and covered a lot of hard news, breaking news, and now she's a level three song So talk about like you've just had so many incredible different eras.
Speaker 1: Right back at you.
Speaker 2: By the way, all of the psalms I've ever met have sort of their own philosophy on wine.
Speaker 1: Do you yeah? They doan yeah. For me, it's just like keep it simple and there are no rules. I think there are a lot of parallels, which sounds a little bit crazy, between the business world and the wine world. There are people who've been doing it forever who are old school, who are very often older white men, and they just kind of like this is how it's done. There are a lot of people are like, well, one needs to be served this way, and we talk about it this way because then it's in a accessible to people and you can gatekeep it. And so my kind of philosophy is just like, let's not talk about it that way. So my business is called Francy, not fancy. And the whole concept was like, to me, wine should be French. They shouldn't be fancy, like they should be of France and have these beautiful flavors that we love. But they don't need to be expensive. They don't need to be show offee. They don't need to be elitists. Like we should be less bougie. We should be spending less on wines. We should be enjoying the good stuff. Like spending your last time to get a good bottle of wine. It's not necessary. So people are looking for wine tips. I give away a ton of wine knowledge and I'm just so you also know, I'm not in partnership with any wine. So like the stuff I pick, I pay for myself. I drink myself I don't take wines free from anybody, So like, if I recommended you, it's because I'm like, I would drink this in my house.
Speaker 3: Alison. You bring this philosophy of simplicity and accessibility into your consultancy. And you also have a newsletter, which I love because I an email from you and you'll just the subject line is, here's one thing to know about wine today.
Speaker 1: It's just so simple, it's genius. We're gonna get you on the mailing list. Yes, I need to be in.
Speaker 2: I'm actually interested, but I want to know what's one thing we need to know about picking a bottle of wine.
Speaker 1: I would just say, learn a couple of things that are definites for you about wine, and then maybe spend a little time at your local local store. Pop in and talk to someone, tell them a little bit about what you like, have them help you and guide you a little bit, and then you can start doing it on your own, or you know, when you're online read some of the descriptions. I have to admit something admitted. You will not upset me.
Speaker 2: I might upset listeners, though, Okay, I'm here to defend you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: My favorite way to drink wine is with ice. I like a red wine with ice, and it's in Italy it's called something.
Speaker 1: So they do they serve drinks like that, Like you can do drinks, certain wines and certain drinks on ice. But and I have a lot of friends who do this, so don't feel badly. The one thing I would ask you, is it because you don't like the temperature of the wine. You don't like the taste without the ice?
Speaker 2: A little bit of both?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Because I would say chilling is not a bad thing.
Speaker 3: Love a childred, love a childred.
Speaker 1: I just drank a red this week that is actually called chillible red because I was like, phenomen love a childred and certain reds. It's good to do that with. Like you don't want to chill your Cabernet sevenion ear molow, like those are heavier wines. You lose so much of the wine and chilling it. But like a Beaujelai, a pino noir, totally cool to chill. So I would even say think about drinking your red maybe cool, but like using those like you know, those like plastic ice cubes that don't melt or because you're really just watering it down.
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 1: But if you're not into like a heavy alcoholic drink, and that makes it more palatable for you, enjoy enjoy your wine. If you're not enjoying it, it's what's the point.
Speaker 2: Let's talk price, because this is a huge conversation around wine. A lot of times the the idea is that it's really expensive to get a great bottle. I know from researching that's not the case. No, But how do you determine what's what's good? Like if you walk in to a liquor store and you're this happens to me all the time, like I'm going to somebody's house, I want to bring a bottle. I want it to be reasonable, right, how do you go about that?
Speaker 1: So one thing I would say is there have been some studies done where they say that once you get to like the thirty dollars level, that it doesn't necessarily get better from there. Like a thirty dollars bottle of wine made the same way as one hundred dollars bottle of wine are comparable.
Speaker 3: So that's good.
Speaker 1: My suggestion for people is outside of champagne bubbly, which can be a little bit more expensive, if you're buying a bottle of wine. If you can just get to that fifteen ninety nine nineteen ninety nine category, you're talking about better stuff. So if you can just step it up a little bit into there, it doesn't have to be expensive. These bottles here the most expensive bottles that I brought to you, the most expensive twenty seven dollars. So and I just tried a Mountipolgiano the other day. It's an Italian red that I eleven ninety nine. So you don't have to spend a lot. And that's not to say that you know, a fifty dollars champagne isn't good, but you can get them for twenty five dollars thirty dollars. I have a ton of examples on my website where I'm like, hey, if you need to bring a decent champagne to a party, I happen to love Nicola Foyat is a champagne that you can get in like the thirty dollar range. It's always something I bring. It's half the price of some of the other fancier labels that you all know that I won't mention, and it's excellent. So you can find things and you don't have to break the bank and then you know you spend fifty seventy five hundred when it's really a special occasion.
Speaker 3: That is such a good tip, the thirty dollars tip. I love that it is Memorial Day weekend. We have three bottles of wine in the studio that Alison brought for us. They're staring me in the face right now and they're looking very cold, and it looks like we're losing some condensations. So I think that we should crack it. Cry me.
Speaker 2: I think this is the first time ever that I'm drinking at work.
Speaker 3: Oh, big day, not.
Speaker 1: For me, Okay, So first rule, I brought a white a rose in a red. First thing I would just say is this is the French way, and it makes a lot of sense and good to know. When you're serving at home, you should always go from light to heavy. So when you're having a meal, when you're drinking at home, start with the lightest thing. So like it's typical to start with a champagne or a white wine, then go to your pink, then go to your red, and then if you're really being fancy, do your dessert wine. So you kind of taste in that order, and what do you think we should be looking for. I'm going to start with a white It's a reasoning. It is from the finger Lakes in Upstate New York. The finger Lakes make great reasonings, much more affordable than other reasons which will come from like Germany or Alsas in France, or so if you want a well priced this guy, depending on where you buy it from. This is the what is it? The doctor Frank Constant I brought this goes for like sixteen ninety nine. So this is not expen It's like really really pale. Most wines are pale straw. This almost border's unclear. It's got like very little color to it, but that does not mean that it doesn't have a lot going on. Key thing though, with reasoning, A lot of people think reasoning is sweet, and that's because reasoning can be sweet. They make dry, somewhat dry, somewhat sweet. There's a whole range. So this makes sure it says dry on the bottle, or you're gonna get a sugar mom that you weren't asking for.
Speaker 3: I always thought reasling was kind of sweet.
Speaker 1: This is so I see you swirling, so we're supposed to swirl. Here's what you do with wine. You sniff first, take a smell, Just see what it smells like. Do you smell anything? If you don't, that's cool, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I smell. I just don't know how to describe what I'm smelling.
Speaker 1: Yelling does it remind you anything? That's really what wine people are doing. They're like yelling out the things that it like triggers in their brain that it reminds you of. I don't want to tell you what I'm smelling because I want to see.
Speaker 3: I'm smelling sweet.
Speaker 1: I'm smelling laundry detergent, just kidding. I don't know you're smelling glasses that were probably really clean. Well, like I smell the dish, I'm just gonna sip it. You smell, you swirl and then you see if you notice any difference. And the only reason you swirl, you're just giving it a little air. It's exactly helps you realma's get out. They just need to get into me.
Speaker 3: That's really nice, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, you actually do smell a big difference when you swirl, So see.
Speaker 1: How that that's this is not It's got a lot of fruit flavor, but this is not a sweet one.
Speaker 3: It's fruity, but it's so balanced, not overly sweet.
Speaker 1: Someone knows her wines. So this wine. One of the things I love about it, why it's great for this time of year is it's got like really nice. It's crisp. I would serve it just like a touch hold on this. It'll be really crisp. But it's crisp, it's clean, it's got some fruit, a little floral to it. It's got enough going on that it's not boring.
Speaker 2: And I can't take an elevated grape juice in a great way.
Speaker 3: Am I getting?
Speaker 2: It's basically the wine is right, I guess I elevated grape juice?
Speaker 3: Am I getting green apple?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You might get a touch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I taste it, I get.
Speaker 1: Some green app What do you smell a little bit of honey or almost like a honeysuckle, like a blossom.
Speaker 3: That's what I was trying to put my finger on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then you'll find that's really common and a lot of floral notes and wines like honeysuckle and blossom. You'll find that in a reasoning. You'll find that in a shed and blanc I get like Simona does this? It does have grain to it, like a little greenappoli a little maybe like a like a honeydew a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think part of wine though, is learning a fully new vocabulary. And so I'm hearing you say, like if I were to categorize it, it's fruits, it's foliage.
Speaker 1: And like how else would you characterize We call it few, so it'll be like fruit earth w can be wood for if something's oaked, okay, but awesome trick for this wine that I love. Chinese food is one of the hardest things on Earth to pair with wines, because like think about when you order Chinese food for dinner, You're getting like pork fried rice, beef with broccoli, shrimp, and it's like what goes with oh dumpling, ha, gonna get everything? Yeah, promise you this reasoning or a dry reasoning like this boom, try it with Chinese food. It's got like enough acidity and like minerality to cut through like the greasy and the fried. It's got a little floral and like friggance to stand up to the spice. And then it's just it's not a thin wine that like I would this would be fine with beefrom brocolate. This would be fine with a little bit of pork. It works. That's why most people drink beer with Chinese food, because it's just hard to find wine.
Speaker 3: My mother is the most bougie wine drinker I know, and everything I know about wine I learned from her. She was not a reasling fan, but Sheila, I hope you're listening. I have a new dry reasling that you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Like, Shila, call me, I'll send you some.
Speaker 3: Okay, can you pour us this next one? Alison's yes. Ooh do you hear the sound of that?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: But what's this song called? It's wolfer Estate Summer in a Bottle Rose? Except this is their coat to Provence rose. They make a rose now in France. And for people who don't know, wolfer Estate is an awesome family owned vineyard and sagaponic in the Hamptons, and so this is their French and why I love their Long Island rose too, But why I prefer the French. If you're someone who looks at pink wine and thinks like I don't drink pink, that's sweet. If you want to make sure that you're drinking a dry rose, always pick a French one. I smell honey in this.
Speaker 2: This is the one I smell honey.
Speaker 3: Is that incorrect?
Speaker 2: You're looking at me with.
Speaker 1: Not incorrect, No, it's not incorrect. I get like a little like a really light peach, really faint peach. Okay, really melon yeps go and fruits yep, little like you get strawberry always.
Speaker 3: I'm getting extremely drinkable. This is an extremely drinkable glass of wine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just taste it. It's so soft and round, it's so lovely. How good is that? How many times have you been at a pool party or a picnic or somewhere where they're pouring rose and it's a hot day and it's refreshing until you swallow it and then it like burns the back of your throat because the alcohol is too high. It's not good. This is this to me, wine is so drinkable. It's dangerous.
Speaker 3: I want some more.
Speaker 1: People call these wines pink, but it's really not. It's almost like what we call in wine and the onion skin, because it really looks like kind of like a yellow onion skin. It's got that like orangish peachy tine butter. Yeah, it's got like a like a just slight copper color to it. And this, of course, because it's a rose, you want to serve an nice and chilled, so like no one's gonna be mad if you are having a barbecue and you put this on ice, keep it in the fridge like chilled. That's totally fine. Yes, fridge cold can make wines a little too cold, and so you don't get all the flavors. But I will just say this Memorial Day week in summertime, keep your wines fridge cold, because you pour them and they're gonna be not fridge cold real fast. So in the summer, in the cooler weather, give them a pick it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: You'll also recognize this bottle the instant that you see it in your store because it's covered in this explosion of flowers. It's so colorful. It has a.
Speaker 1: Summer all over it, a secret garden.
Speaker 3: It's just beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's the prettiest bottle to put out on a table when you're having company.
Speaker 3: Butterfly, I want to drink this with chicken, of course, my favorite slathered in barbecue sauce. But I love it because it reminds me of summer Okay, I want to drink it out of barbecue. I want to have some watermelon, maybe some corn, a nice salad like this is just perfect for a barbecue.
Speaker 1: Like a day outside. Right, And this is something that most people don't know. That's like a sleeper thing. So you can sneak your roseana all times of year. Rosea is awesome. A Thanksgiving dinner, it's great. Wait, oh my god, that's cool.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do that.
Speaker 1: So great.
Speaker 2: So in the last five years, I would say I've done a lot of work on myself as I'm in the dating world, and I have to tell you when I go on dates, the one thing I still don't feel totally confident about is picking a glass or a bottle of wine.
Speaker 1: Oh, we can help you with that. I leave it to the guy. No, because here's the thing. No, No, because here's the thing. The guy is sitting there being like, I don't know what the hell to order, but she thinks I do, right. I actually get that vibe from people.
Speaker 2: So if like in a very simplistic world, because I know you could give me a ton of great advice. If I don't know what to do and I see a large menu, Yes, what's my ghost?
Speaker 1: Okay, So here are a couple of things that I would just say. One thing, and this is totally a restaurant trick that's just helpful to know, and this is so applicable to you because it's a dating thing. Do not order the second cheapest wine on the menu. Restaurants know that usually it's the guy who's ordering, and he doesn't want to look cheap, and so he won't order the cheapest. He will order the second cheapest. And so what they do is they actually take the worst wine on the list in many cases and jacket up so that they make a great margin on the wine that you buy the most. Whoa hot tip, right, Like, if you walk into a restaurant and the second cheapest wine happens to be saying, you know and love by all means, go for it. But a lot of restaurants are like, he doesn't want to order that nine dollars. He thinks he's looking good if he orders that eleven dollars by the glass. So we're going to make the you know one that's really eight dollars eleven dollars, and we're gonna make all this money on it. So avoid the second cheapest one on the menu. That is such a hot tip. Don't be afraid to ask your server for advice. Tell them a couple of things. For example, like I usually put ice in my red wine. That will tell them that you don't like something that's like really intense. Tell them how you drink your wines and ask them to help you. Or when in doubt, ask the bartender. No one knows wine better than the bartender, and especially if you're ordering by the glass, he's gonna kick you a little taste and just like, try this, you like it, order it great? Heck, asking for help, ask questions hurs sorr. I shouldn't say him, but ask your bartender for help. They are happy to I go into our local restaurants and they know that I know, and I'll just be like hey, and he's like, people are ordering this one a lot. Just taste it for a second, see what you think. They love to help. But another cool thing, just keep in mind that ordering wines from where your food is from makes a lot of sense. Those wines and those foods were made to work together. Like Italian food and Italian wines, they come from the same region. They're designed to pair well.
Speaker 3: Together.
Speaker 1: They're designed to go with the foods of the regions. So like I'm always a big fan of like I prefer French wines, but I'm not ordering French wine and an Italian restaurant ever, you know, so pick from the place.
Speaker 3: I hate to move us along here, but we do have one more bottle to finish off and you need some.
Speaker 1: So I was talking to one of your producers on the phone and she was like, I know which wine it is, but can you say it because it's it's like a lot of French words. So this is domain d'An signan petit grop and petit grop means like little bunches, so it's like little bunches of grapes. And this is from the cot Rousillon and Russions in the south of France. Zapard. I cannot try to wrap the case speak friends, but like you can say it like, it's okay if you call it like petit grapes from the resilient that's fly. Like the guy the wine stir will help you. He knows you won't be the first person who said it.
Speaker 2: We just need a voice note from you that we can replay to the wine people.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: So this one is a deep red. It's the first red that we're trying.
Speaker 1: This is our red. And this is fifty, which is like a grape that most people haven't heard of. You don't see it a lot out of version, but it's it's a really big, blending grape. It can be on its own. So this is for a red. It's gonna be heavier than anything we've had. But for a red, this is like on the lightered to medium side.
Speaker 3: So this is not full body and you can see through it and that's completely opaque.
Speaker 1: Look at you, pro.
Speaker 2: What does this smell like? I'm having trouble with the vocabulary of it.
Speaker 1: No, you know the vocabulary. You're like, this smells like nice grapes.
Speaker 2: You can't say everything smells like grapes.
Speaker 1: Hellas in, okay, you smell this Because I feel like, what how I'm going to describe this? I feel like you might describe it like this, like smell tell me what it smells like to because.
Speaker 2: I I'm I can't because it's going to sound mean. It smells like rubbing alcohol, but it doesn't taste like rubbing.
Speaker 1: Han smell though, do you pick up any fruitiness to it like when I smell this, this smells to me like.
Speaker 3: Jam I got cherries, I got a little bit of chocolate maybe or no, you know.
Speaker 1: Amore, maybe a little especially from the Granachhi and get herb smells. You might pick up a little lavender. You'll get like little white pepper when you taste it. A wine like this, a wine like a peano water. These are the kinds of reds that you want to start drinking in the summer because they're just a little bit lighter. They're lighter than a cab, They're lighter than amr low. They they're just a little more easy drinking. This isn't going to put you to sleep in the sun. It's just a little bit lighter because I just I can't sit down with a heavy, heavy glass of wine.
Speaker 3: It'll put me to sleep. I've seen a lot of celebrities getting into the wine space. Are there any good ones out there? Are there any standouts that we should know about.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sarah Jessica Parker's in vivo is really good and she's really involved in the process. It's great. I love hearing that. I love her so much everything she does, so I should just say quick answer Sarah, Jessica Parker, Cameron Diaz, and John bon Jovi's wines. John bon Jovi makes Hampton Water. It's a rose, It's a French rose. It's great. All three of them consistently get rated ninety points are higher. They are good wines, and they're inexpensive.
Speaker 3: Can you give us a few tried and true wine pairings looking ahead to summer Memorial Day weekend? I mean, we know red for meat's whites for fish, but are there certain wines that break the mold?
Speaker 1: Yes. Champagne is an outrageous wine with food, and people don't think of champagne that way. They toast with it, they celebrate with it. Champagne is also delicious with really basic food, so like I will never ever ever in my life you've tried chicken without champagne. It really cuts through rich and heavy food. So it's a great move. So Champagne, so champagne, but also rose. As I mentioned, it's fantastic with salmon, which we know great with like turkey, grilled chicken on the barbecue. Like rose is a great food pairing and people don't always think of it that way, and don't be shy, like if it's just too too hot on a summer day and you just can't do red. But you want wine, do rose with a burger. It'd be fine, and don't be embarrassed. If you really love red wine. Red wine can also work with fish.
Speaker 3: All right, we're pausing the party for just a moment to take a quick break.
Speaker 2: Stay with us, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, May twenty fifth is National Wine Day, so to celebrate, we want to play a little game with you.
Speaker 1: And it's very kitchy. You have to bear with us. I love kitsch. It's always national one day in my house.
Speaker 3: Okay, Allison, bear with us. We are calling this no way Rose or wine not okay, I love it. We're gonna present a few different scenarios and if you don't think it's okay, you'll say no way Rose. And if you do think it's okay, you just give us a wine. Not okay. So I'm ready, you ready to get started? All right? So let's say I'm out a friend's dinner party and she serves me a glass of wine with ice cubes in it. Danielle's favorite.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be my dinner party.
Speaker 3: Basically, I'm at Danielle Robe's house, and she serves me a glass of wine with a couple of Honkin ice cubes in it. No Way Rose or wine, not.
Speaker 1: Unless you're Danielle. No Way Rose.
Speaker 3: It's gonna get It's a no way for It's a no Way Roses the record.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't serve it to anybody else, but I am drinking it with ice for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite wine brands is a screw top. But I heard a chef say that cork top wines are actually the best, So please be the tie breaker. Is it okay for me to drink from a screw top wine bottle?
Speaker 1: No Way Rose? Or why not? Why not? Two of the wines I brought here today are excellent screwtops.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's say open a new bottle of wine to enjoy on my own. And then I had a glass or two and I just decided to save the rest, but I left it uncovered on the countertop overnight. Can I still drink it? No Way Rose or whine?
Speaker 1: Not taste it? Potentially? Why not? But probably no Way Rose? Cook with it?
Speaker 3: How long does it last?
Speaker 1: It's so it totally depends. Some wins. The next day might still be okay, but you've given out a lot of oxygen exposure. You might have killed it. Yeah, cooking with it is a great You can always cook with it, but taste it it might be bad, but like, I've also not been above drinking that the next day.
Speaker 2: Do you know it's bad right away?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not necessarily bad. You're just like, mm, that tasted so much better last night.
Speaker 3: It tastes like vinegar if it's if, it's.
Speaker 1: Bad sometimes and sometimes it's not even vinegar. It just loses its flavor. But like you know, sometimes you're hungover, and if you're like, I don't care. Okay, this is the last one.
Speaker 2: I'm running late to a summer picnic and the store on my way only has boxed wine. Is it okay for me to bring boxed wine? I can't even believe I'm asking this.
Speaker 3: I can't believe they made us ask this question.
Speaker 1: So there actually are some great boxed wines out there now, but not good enough that you should bring it to someone's house. So I try to find really good beer or just bring a book bearing a difference.
Speaker 2: So bring it, no way, bring olive oil, bring a book.
Speaker 3: I do not walk up into somebody's house with a box of wine.
Speaker 2: Okay, y'all, Alison, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Guys. This was so fun. You made this very fun. Thanks for drinking with me pre Memorial Day. This was awesome.
Speaker 2: Alison Morris Roslin is a Somalier, former news anchor, and the CEO of Francy Not Fancy.
Speaker 3: That's it for today's show. We are wishing you a fantastic, RESTful, and fun Memorial Day weekend. Danielle and I will see you next week.
Speaker 2: That's right, We'll be back with a very special episode on Monday.
Speaker 1: Get ready to rely. We have some big laughs.
Speaker 2: And big truths with linguist and author Amanda Montel, Mary Jane Fahey of Glorious Broad's an author of the book The Art of Gathering Priya Parker.
Speaker 3: Listen and follow The Brightside on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: The bright Side is a production of Hello, Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Production by Arcana Audio. Courtney Gilbert is our associate producer. Our producers are Steph Brown, Jessica Wank, and Olivia Briley. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamat, and our senior producers are Itsy Quintanilla and Jenis Jamoka.
Speaker 2: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzka.
Speaker 1: Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 3: Natalie Tulloff and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's EP pisodes were recorded by Graham Gibson, Carl Catl, Jessica Crinchitch, and Bahi Frasier.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 3: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's r O B A.
Speaker 3: Y See you Monday, fam. Keep looking on the bright side.