Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Asia. I'm Stephen Carroll with Caroline Hepker and we're joined Buyer Markets reporter Anthony Stevens. Anthony Memory chip maker is getting hit in Asia again, this after SanDisk's surname is disappointed in the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's important to mention that sand Disk and Western digitalow amongst the top performers this year in the US, and they're on the different spectrums of the memory trade. They've come in below the most optimistic kind of analysts focused, and that's hitting memory stocks across the region. So most notably you have Kyoksha down nine point three percent, but also Samsung and Henis are down a lot. Samsung's down five percent and Heynex is down seven and that's what's dragging down the costp. As you mentioned, what's very interesting here is that foreigners have turned net sellers again in Korea. Remember on the Big Pop that they bought a record quantity of Korean shares. Now they've turned net sellers two point two billion, So you've seen the amount of conviction on this memory trade come down quite drastically as earnings come in.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. Financial firms meanwhile in Hong Kong are lower as investors passed the announcements about China's new tax on offshore insurance gains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so China is casting its offshore tax net a lot more aggressively. They want to collect the taxes people make outside China, and that includes some of the hefty profits people have been making off offshore insurance products. Remember that Hong Kong's interest rates are tagged to the US, so interest rates on Hong Kong related kind of insurance products or savings products has been higher. Meanwhile, in the mainland, interest rates remain quite suppressed due to their low economic growth. So that spread has been captured by Chinese money moving offshore, and the Chinese want to kind of reduce that torrent of money and as a result, this is a very easy place to start. The Chinese insurance sellers like AIA and Prudential are down quite sharply. AIA, for example, is not eight and a half percent, which is a big move for a big solid financial like that. And HSBC was down in your session yesterday and follows through today down another two point three and Prudential is down another six after getting sharply hit in the London session yesterday as well.
Speaker 1: Well, let's look for some optimism then, a bright spot in the Hong Kong market, some AI firms being included in the stock connect links for mainland Chinese investors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the ironic side, you know, the connect beerment is a very important source of Chinese capital into Hong Kong, and they don't have some of these tech names to invest in on the mainland. So the LM, the po LLLM names Minimax and Jubu are quite strong. Mini Max is up fifteen percent. This stock has been under a lot of pressure because it priced a huge block right after IPO outlock and one billion dollars, so some of that pressure is being alleviated against some of the southbound buying and that's lifting its peer Jupu or z Ai as it called now, which is up three percent against the market that's down around two percent.
Speaker 4: Really interesting. There's also been another story that we're thinking about in terms of Taris US. Taris the US now looking at pola silicone, which is the main thing that you need in in microchips and in solar panels, and that's also affected a lot of stocks in Asia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an interesting one because most of the US makers of solar panels still import the raw materials from China, so at the moment they're negatively impacted. That space fell quite sharply last night. It's following through to the Asian supplies. Of course, most of that space is down around two to three percent, including names like Tongwei and gclpoly in China. What's very interesting is how far can the US go down that path? How much capacity is it willing to build in this space that is suffering some quite drastic global over supply. So bear in mind China has been struggling with solo overcapacity for a very long time, to the extent at which the exports are flooding relatively poor countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh and so on. And actually that's one of the reasons the oil impact from the Iran crisis has been relatively muted on poor countries. They've been able to replace energy demands with sola quite easily. So it's very interesting to see how this dynamic plays out over the next couple of months.
Speaker 2: This Stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live catches on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.