Speaker 1: They are Around the NFL podcast, two co hosts and one certified serny mail from the Chris Wesley podcast studio. It's around the NFL and I am Dan Hanss and I got heroes all up in the studio, Mark Sessler, Greg Rosenthal and one more. Everybody, ladies and gentlemen, actually know what hit it? Collie Johnnie's the queen queen.
Speaker 2: She is the queen of NFL media.
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: Where did that come from?
Speaker 3: Was lovely?
Speaker 1: I did that? Yes? Who did that? Eric? Behind the glass.
Speaker 4: I'd have to get back into Google. The Gmail. Oh yeah, the Gmail is actually at my desktop, guys, not on.
Speaker 5: For different theme songs for Colleen. We're still Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is from I think a twenty twenty email that I got.
Speaker 2: Well, that's so nice, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I will accept all right, and we will credit whoever it.
Speaker 4: Is by the episode. I'll drop a slack to you right now.
Speaker 1: Dan, all right, great? Well Connie? How are you okay?
Speaker 2: Great? I haven't seen you guys in a while, so this is nice.
Speaker 6: I'm going to Tybee tomorrow morning, brig we have a six am flight. Sessler is house sitting for us and dog sitting Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 2: So Dan, what are you doing in my life?
Speaker 1: I am wait?
Speaker 5: Is that a true story? Mark? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They finally have hired a professional to take care of their animals.
Speaker 5: Didn't Erica do it once?
Speaker 3: I believe it was our friend Emily who used to work here.
Speaker 5: Emily, It's okay.
Speaker 1: I will be spending time with my family, but I will be happy to help out Mark if any issues arise. I know there's two dogs. That's a lot of that's a lot of You're a dog owner, so I certainly am. But I'll be busy with that dog too, and on the priority list. Then your two.
Speaker 2: Dogs, Dasher might murder captains.
Speaker 1: He might. Okay, how is everybody doing? From the Office of Corrections and Omissions for around the NFL? Apparently some whoppers?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: In terms of misfires.
Speaker 3: And we own these.
Speaker 1: This is that's a great way to put it. Let's start with uh the category of pronunciation. Uh the term for excessive hair growth greg on unexpected areas of the body, such as the face, chest, and back. Not here stute it is your suit.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just tripped over that one again and again. I don't know why I wrote it down, and I hope you haven't been trying to use the word her suit to impress your friends or her stute, because that would be wearing her suit.
Speaker 1: That's only you were here on Monday, Colleen.
Speaker 2: I was listening.
Speaker 1: Oh you clocked it immediately.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Dan told me to listen to the last episode. I thought it was a test, so I did it.
Speaker 5: To be ready for this one. Yes, to not double up and whatnot correct, So I did my homework.
Speaker 1: I'm a professional, she sure is, folks. And then we have in the department of mathematics, which I'm not taking any l on this one because everyone knows where I stand in this category. I'm leaning on the other guys. Six point five billion was in this room said to be that extra point five was three hundred thousand wells, the actual mark six point five billion is actually six billion plus.
Speaker 3: I don't I'm not. I stopped doing the equate the work on this. I'm taking the matvell. I did a Google search and probably plugged in the wrong numbers, which is I know, Dan's like the I'm not good at math guy, but like I belong to that club to some degree too. That's been a historical uh, problem for myself.
Speaker 6: I don't think anyone was expecting you guys to get the math right.
Speaker 1: All right, so we still don't know. Then.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's this show needs I think you're delivering those that problems.
Speaker 5: I think the world can move on. The billionaires that are buying this great organization soon to be great.
Speaker 1: It's fifty million, like they've got a lot of fifty million. That sounds more six fifty million dollars. So uh And even to my point that I was making on the Monday program, what are we doing? Why we adding the point zh five because it was fifty million dollars extra on the purchase price. That adds up. It's fair that ain't pennies in the old give a penny, take a penny till.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a rounding error. Though, when you're buying a six billion dollar team, that's insane.
Speaker 1: That's true. Wow, that's true. Mark, How are you waving that card in front of your face? You got the vapors.
Speaker 3: I feel horrible that you should have worn the jean jacket. I don't know if that would have saved what's happening here, but I am here to do my best and I will. That's also what we are about. I don't even know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I proceed gingerly because I know I don't want to get on your fashion choices. You're wearing kind of a winter coat right now, or at least a it's very late.
Speaker 3: No, it's very late. It's very it's a light coat.
Speaker 6: I just want to say that I had been scrolling through Instagram after the Monday Show and I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw your jacket because I liked it that much.
Speaker 2: So I was aligned.
Speaker 6: And when I listened to the show, I was like, oh my god, they liked it too, so's choice.
Speaker 5: Now Mark's looking totally refreshed, like he just came out of a shower. A woman says something nice to him, and he's good.
Speaker 1: Right, he has perked up, all right. And before we get into part two of the Glossary, which Colleen is one prepared for, I am on a almost an absurd level, some say two prepared.
Speaker 2: I've been preparing for days.
Speaker 1: I want to check in with one other topic from the Monday app. Wow, my new favorite guy Mike North. Okay, Peter North of scheduling. Love this guy. Love everything about him, and.
Speaker 5: You could have put this as the end. I suppose that's Connie's letter though, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: I just want to say that here, let me put it this way before I get into it, because I know there are If you're looking for an NFL podcast that will tell you why the swing tackle of the Bengals is an issue because he's opening up his hips too quickly in third down passing situations. If you were looking for a braggy podcast where someone's clocking that cool, go find it. But I dare you to find another NFL podcast that is more on top of profound bulls like this. We're all over stuff like this, like North coming out strong and talking about the Bengals raising their hand and saying they wanted to be on Black Friday, not this year, but every year. Clearly that ruffled some feathers. And then North went out and did more media.
Speaker 2: No he didn't, and he's the best.
Speaker 1: He was on the Adam Schefter podcast. And then just listen to the wording here for Mike. The Jets, once they found out they were the host team then started to think about, Hey, is this something we could make a permanent fixture as part of the NFL schedule. Maybe they didn't raise their hands in February, but now that they've been selected as the Black Friday host, I think they might be interested in it too. Love this guy. He's just kind of floating things out there for us during the slow part of the year to aggregate. And I got to say, North to the.
Speaker 2: Moon, he's our north Star.
Speaker 5: Bang now you were on.
Speaker 3: Now you got on the Bengals for being a little bit too volunteerish, I would say, right now, the Jets have done apparently done the same thing.
Speaker 1: Are you do you but listen to the listen to the wording here. The Jets, once they found out they were the host team, then started to think about and then he added, maybe they didn't raise their hands in February, but now that they've been selected, they might be interested in it too. There's not even any proof that, according to what Mike Noran said, that they even did that.
Speaker 3: If you if you look at the word and you're right, he sort of danced around, know something.
Speaker 5: Are you at all concerned that Mike North, who has been with the company for twenty five years, is going to get called into the principal's office and maybe told like, hey, maybe ixnay on the idiom. May you know, little less North, a little less North, a little more. Just let the schedule speak for itself.
Speaker 1: That would be a mistake.
Speaker 5: That would be a mistake, cause I'm saying he's adding a lot of pop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if if nothing else, this is a very boring time of year. And anyone that wants to bring some sizzle, you know, bring out a faida plate sizzling. Everybody gets excited when the Falda plate pops through the doors. That's what Mike North is doing right now. So dream on, Mike North, make that content, all right?
Speaker 5: Anything else did I tell you? I I sat talking groups today Mike North? You know back in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh you yes, you shared an office.
Speaker 3: That anecdote was.
Speaker 1: It's a well worn anecdote. It's a good one. Though. Did you ever go out to lunch with it?
Speaker 5: No? I don't think I went out to lunch with the single member of the New York office there. I mean they didn't. They weren't taking lunch as they weren't asking me to go to lunch occasionally.
Speaker 1: Said you were there for like over a year, right, Well, I.
Speaker 5: Would you go out and get like a hot I would only get once or once or twice a week in the in the office. In one of those days was Sunday when basically no one was there. Uh but everyone just went down and they got said they went down and got street food because as good as the hudder was the street food banging and right there, I just get the streetmissary. Both you go back, you see someone you know maybe down at the street food. Yeah, you sit there. But it's a.
Speaker 1: Truth truth. All right, let's get into it. Okay, is everyone ready? Colleen? Your nails are outrageous. Way give people tap. I think that's the whole industry of audio files for you. It's wild. All right, get us going. We're picking up with the letter.
Speaker 3: Sound effect right there.
Speaker 1: And okay, So for n I went, but we already did that on Monday.
Speaker 2: You did not, I know, I mean just as proof.
Speaker 1: I took notes B for Boying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, how do I scon that's correct?
Speaker 1: Great b O I n G.
Speaker 6: Okay, So Nader as in where the Bears have been, but it doesn't quite feel that they are at their lowest or had been at their lowest, because I think there's so much optimism around all of the moves that they've made. So I think the clouds are lifting this off season, and I feel excited about the Bears, which is kind of strange. I think that it's going to be by the time training camp rolls around, maybe I will be sick of this talking about them, but especially with Rogers out of the division. I really love the way that this Bears team is intriguing me right now. Like of course, the coaching staff kind of struggled to find an identity out of the gate last year, and they didn't have any pass catchers for justin fields. But I love them bringing in DJ Moore, they finally have a number one guy for justin fields. They fixed or at least they addressed the offensive line, drafting Darnell right have a new face at right guard to and then the defense bring in the Eds. Happy about that, TJ Edwards and Tremaine Edmonds. I mean, I just think you're making that you guys have EDGs in your famis in their.
Speaker 1: Good and bring a little heat himself, little sizzle, that's very true. Oh absolutely, Let's fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's one of the youngest rosters in the league, so that I.
Speaker 1: Finally found a show that you should listen to.
Speaker 2: You know what, the Bears are you the Deer and is for Deer.
Speaker 3: I am a little concerned because it was about a year ago at this time that I recall you deeply hyping up the Indianapolis Cups apocalyptic. But I I think the thing you have that you're completely right about is the Bears on offense were vastly entertaining a year ago. Minus all these parts, they already were doing it because of the quarterbacks. So it's like I I the only thing that stands out to me is like there, if they really thrive, probably their offensive coordinator gets yanked out for a head coaching job and you're stuck with one of these defensive minded coaches and Mattiebraflus, who's the most To me, I just don't understand who is this pot I'm waiting. It's kind of how I felt about like Zach Taylor a couple of years ago until you learn I don't I don't know if he's the guy to do it, but like, uh, why not? The Bears are far more interesting than they've ever been. During the run of the show.
Speaker 5: Iber Flus was absolutely the coach one of the coaches that Travis Kelsey when he went through and was like, who's that. That guy's in the NFL that the coaches are my biggest concern. You mentioned you know, maybe their offensive coordinator gets plucked. That would be a great problem. I don't know what I'm getting in Luke Getzy. He was a first time play caller. Last year. They weren't They weren't great. They didn't have a lot of talent, but they weren't great defense. They were terrible. And I think you're right, they've hit them the deer. I think there's a reason to be excited better of I love that Chase Claypool instead of trying to be a savior, is like a three, and I kind of like Tyler Scott their fourth round pick gotta getting in the mix is a nice four. And you have Cole Kmet So now you know, maybe Chase Claypool is your three or your four behind DJ Mood, behind Mooney. The offensive line is definitely better. It's more of the defense that I'm concerned about. Upfront, they're not great and ibra Flus didn't show anything. I'd like to see a little bit of schematic advantage if you're a defensive coach and they were the worst defensive league, and Bears fans will say, oh, they had no talents like some other teams had no talent too, and they were closer to okay, So I like them, But I think two things can be true. They're getting better, they're more exciting, and I don't like the fact that they have the same over underwin total as the Packers and only one less than the Vikings. I don't see those three as close. You got to show it to me a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think they are. And I'm with you cause I've talked about this and I talked about it with Adam Rank, a huge Bears fan, on his Bears podcast, that they do check all the boxes for a team that's going to make a big jump and potentially contend in that division, which is much as everyone's gassing up the Lions. Would shock you. If that's a very tight division December with no team running away with it, it would not shock me at all. If that said, are they maybe the fools gold pick for the team where everyone says they're going to be better because you do need the defense to figure out something and be more competitive, and then you are putting a lot on Justin Fields, a quarterback who's dynamic and exciting but has had some issues with injuries himself and as a passer. There's still room for growth. I love that they have added weapons. I love that Fields will enter a season healthier with a better offensive line. But there are there is a way, and you don't have to squint that this doesn't work out, And coaching is part of it too. There's a concern there.
Speaker 6: I need Eberflus to have some type of like spicy fun fact that drops this summer during training camp.
Speaker 3: We need that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just need.
Speaker 6: I need a little more personality out of him, and then maybe I'll.
Speaker 2: Be more of a believer.
Speaker 3: Some texture, spicy, if you're spicy, spicy, stay spicy.
Speaker 5: For the most part, they call him Flus his friends pretty good. That's okay. My thing is like, if they get to seven wins, that's more than doubling their win total. That'd be to me a big It's going from three to seven. That'd be a big jump. But you still be on the under and you still you know.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is going to be my adults.
Speaker 1: Don't let it in.
Speaker 2: Don't let it came from the cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's concerns here.
Speaker 1: Conye, don't let doubt creep in.
Speaker 5: He hit the definitely hit they hit them the deer, though you can't say they didn't.
Speaker 1: And I do love they open the season at home against a Packers team in transition. Big Week one is big for everybody for the Bears. If they can get out a Week one with a big performance and everyone's fields lights it up and DJ Moore has one hundred and twenty yards receiving, man, they could set you out a trajectory.
Speaker 5: They did beat the forty nine ers. You look at a Week one, you know, we have a pianol of.
Speaker 3: Glass here and there's there's a like a school group watching us, and I feel like I'm about to faint. So I hope that happens in front of a school group.
Speaker 1: Is it Chrissie Stapleton? Is it Inglewood High School?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They're they're they're here in the building and they just want to take a look at you, Mark specifically.
Speaker 3: On field trip.
Speaker 2: This is why Marcus sweating.
Speaker 1: This would be a bad episode to faint if like fourteenth school children saw you, Why is that change their lives?
Speaker 5: Why is that man in the parka so much.
Speaker 3: I'm having a weird day.
Speaker 1: Oh is for overkill? Actually, you know, let me do this overkill?
Speaker 2: M okay?
Speaker 1: This according to Awful Announcing. I like that site. I read that site a fair bit.
Speaker 5: Old school blog.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Back in the day, Jim Nance, here's the headline says he and Tony Romo could call nine Kansas City Chiefs games this season. Here's the quote from Nance. This is what it used to be like packing the Brady Belichick days. Phil and I would do eight or nine Patriots games a year. I want to say to that is that the right way to use your number one team. Is there a case to be made that you don't essentially make the Chiefs and whoever they're playing the focus of your your top one team, not just your top announcers, but also your top production team and all that. Is there a better case to be made for spreading it out, Connie and give them. Of course, you're gonna cover plenty of Chiefs, but you want to spread out your number one team across the landscape. If the Chiefs are as good as we always expected to be in the playoffs, cover all the Chiefs you want during the AFC that side of the postseason. But let's we don't need to do it the way we've always done it, changing things up. The Wizard is still.
Speaker 6: The Chiefs are the best team. Don't you want your best team on it?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 1: Though, because there's so many exciting players and teams across the landscape. I guess how many times Mark do we need to hear Tony Romo talk about how Patrick Mahomes is a wizard.
Speaker 3: We radar for you, absolutely, because I think it's been seasons in a row where I feel like Tony Romo, who's maybe literally overly critiqued in general at this point, like let's find a little bit better like things to do with our time. But like he runs out of stuff to say about Patrick Mahomes, like we all do, and it's like I don't need them to do nine Chiefs games. I think also for them, it's not a great exercise to do the same team over and over. I I just feel slight exhaustion when it's the same subject matter.
Speaker 1: We wonder why and again Tony Romo seems bored these days because he's doing the same thing. It's ground dog day in that booth.
Speaker 5: I mean, I hear you. But if you're picking different games just so that your guy making thirty million dollars a year doesn't get bored, that's too much. He's not making three. It's like, how about just be a pro?
Speaker 1: How about us? Though? As the as the fans, don't you want to hear? You have other guys in the booth that maybe you'd like to hear what their thoughts are about what.
Speaker 6: Sure, but nobody's going to be more prepared to talk about the Chiefs than the guys who are only covering the Chiefs pretty much.
Speaker 5: I agree too. And when you're when you're when you're a patriot, when they when it was Sims and Nance for all those games, there's an absolute fatigue for the fan. It's like I heard Phil Simms's, Bill Belichick's stories so many times that after a certain point, you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you run you run out of content. Right in the course of one season where they're doing nine games, there's gonna be a week where they do that back to back at something.
Speaker 1: I mean, how many times did you hear Romo last season? Got like, Jim, I can't believe it. Mahomes about of things to say. Well, then find someone who has something to say.
Speaker 5: Right when it's when it's the Bills, when it's Bengals.
Speaker 1: Late in the editor's note, he never said that.
Speaker 5: I do love that they set those the Bills in Bengals games up in December for the Chiefs because to me, that is getting back to what Jim Nance is talking about, whether it was Patriots, Colts, whether it was forty nine Ers Cowboys in the day. To me, Bill's Bengals Chiefs. That's that right now, and I want Nance and Rome on those. But what you're absolutely when it's earlier in the season, it's like at Vikings, they're set up for a one to twenty five. Yeah, yeah, like Chargers. Let's give that to Anvil Network or something.
Speaker 2: Chargers is always pretty good though, that's true.
Speaker 5: That's that's often the pot time.
Speaker 1: Pee Greg all right, uh.
Speaker 5: P is for the panic pivot, and that's what I won't have to do today. So the panic pivot, if you're a fan of the glassery going back, it's like, we don't necessarily plan.
Speaker 1: What we made like seventeen hours ago.
Speaker 5: I'm just making pivot. It's what happens, you know, if someone took your topic already you got to do a panic pivot. Panic piv, You're got to come up with a whole new way to spin that word. I'm not gonna have to do the panic pivot because I'm taking the Raiders who have been in the news. I wanted to revisit the Raiders. To me, this was a hot top, so it's a regular old pivot. I'm just I'm letting the audience know what a panic pivot is.
Speaker 1: Power pivot.
Speaker 5: That's part of the glassery.
Speaker 3: Somebody is getting someone's just been put into.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's what I was looking for.
Speaker 1: I kind of wanted so power pivot into a panic pivot for Sessler.
Speaker 6: I thought that Elle already covered the Raiders. Though, if I remember quickly from our last episode was an l I.
Speaker 3: Think there's a reason to be on the Raiders peace and I know where you're going with this, and this adds some context to where we were with the writers more news.
Speaker 5: This happened since we talked. I also wanted to revisit them because uh, Mark put them in a body bag and like threw them into a river and just might not have any Raiders fans left that point, got onto.
Speaker 3: Good Morning Football. I was told this morning, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: How about you get Good Morning Football. They use the content from the show.
Speaker 5: That's apparently, but you know what, Mark deserves a little credit because I'm guessing you asked for that social clip and then they see the social clip or the social team put together the social clip, and then they see that and then they put it on good warning.
Speaker 2: It works autopsy full.
Speaker 1: So they used the clip from our show on their program.
Speaker 3: That's what I was told. I didn't I didn't witness it with my eyes, but someone in the newsroom inform you of that when I walked.
Speaker 5: There's no reason to doubt. Don't doubt Jeremy Bergman or whoever it was.
Speaker 1: You know what it makes me feel. I want Mary like that clip. Bring Mark on the show, all the guys.
Speaker 3: That's very early in the morning. Totally fine with how they handled it.
Speaker 1: Season.
Speaker 5: So we're revisiting the Raiders because of this DeVante Adams story and another one that I'm gonna throw it, but Devanta Adams had some very interesting quotes to the Ringer was a really good article. It's by Marine Fader. I believe it was her name. She wrote this great book on Yannis too. She's she's one of the best sports writers out there. So check out the whole article because I think it deserves to be read in context. But the part that got people's attention was him saying him in the front office aren't seeing eye to eye right now, that they kind of talk to him about what they were gonna do with this offseason and they think the route they're going is the best bet to be urgent, but he doesn't quite agree with that. He said, I'm gonna have to buy into this and try to be as optimistic as possible. It's not what I expected to happen, but it's something that's the reality. And I'm like, what is he talking about exactly. I guess bringing in Jimmy G that's part of it, because he's kind of a deep threat, and Jimmy G's a very short thrower, a dink and dunk kind of thrower. And Adams does later say it depends on the style of ball we play. If we play a certain brand of ball, I can get Garoppolo to conform to whatever. I like that, but if we use him a certain type of way, and I'm reading into this the way that they're gonna use him then it's gonna make us tough to maximize who he should be this year compelling.
Speaker 3: So I went and looked at, like, around these quotes, what else was happening. And he went out of his way to sort of say he doesn't know Jimmy g and everyone that's come out of the woodwork to tell DeVante Adams he's a great leader. You're gonna love him. And so it wasn't like there wasn't animosity. No, these are really strong quotes, I thought, and like, the first thing that came to mind, and the reason that I was gonna use it for my upcoming letter, was that.
Speaker 5: You're gonna have to panic pivot.
Speaker 3: Oh he is I already told you yesterday, like I have, I have contingency plans because I knew this would happen. Oh yeah, so yeah. But I will say I think that I could just see a world under the Josh McDaniels system. This is my issue with the raiderstle. I think Josh McDaniels is a bit of a tough guy to get along with for certain players. I I wouldn't be surprised if DeVante Adams is somewhere else by the end of the season. I just think if it gets if it just grows more and more cantankerous. It's like, what's the long term plan with DeVante Adams?
Speaker 1: I had this as one of mine too, so I under totally under control. Pivot coming up later, it's.
Speaker 5: A panic pretend this it was for.
Speaker 1: W So I'm totally under control. I got so much time. I think there are three pound the table Hall of Fame wide receivers active right now. Uh tyreek Uh. Justin Jefferson is obviously a little more of a projection, but you know he's special and we know it. And Davante and I I'm with you. I feel like right now he made that other point. I don't know if you said it that he was like, this isn't that whole thing where it's like I came here to be cute with Derek, Like, yes, that was the narrative, the dominant storyline going in to last year, or how all these college best friends are now playing together, Like he came there to be on a contender and win a Super Bowl. Yeah, and also show that he could do it without Aaron Rodgers. He did it. He showed he could do it without Aaron Rodgers. But he's not on a team that's close to a Super Bowl, So yeah, it would it be shocking if he was on the move. No, I don't think she would be shocking at all. He is a fascinating chip to dangle the trade deadline for a team that wants to get over the hump, especially maybe a team where their quarterback has a lot of familiarity with the wide receiver and maybe they have a little bit of a hole in their wide receiver room. You guys could put that together. I don't know who that might be, but it's something to watch. I agree.
Speaker 6: I was kind of fascinated by the fact that he said that this was the first year meeting last year that he would have cared if he didn't get that all pro nod, because his whole goal was to just show everyone and like he was the guy and that he had been overshadowed by Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay all these years.
Speaker 5: And he's a His friend that was quoted in the article was saying like he's getting used to be in the face of the franchise, which is a little different, and that's probably true. Right now, he is their leader, he is their best player. He's also like incredibly intelligent and is good in front of a microphone, and everyone respects him. But the part that I guess maybe you have to give McDaniel some credit that he said that they kind of involved him in these moves that they made. They talk to him at least, and they don't see eye to eye, but it was like it sounded like what we want, which is mature adults actually talking about the direction of the franchise and there's some disagreement, and he's saying it in a respectful way here publicly, so I don't think there's any screaming like headline or anything.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's getting aggregated in a somewhat disrespectful way to what he was actually saying. But that's part of it.
Speaker 5: But part of it was there's this other thing out there, and our coworker David Carr retweeted it yesterday, and I have to admit I was not familiar with the source that he retweeted. It's a man named Hondo Carpenter who works for SI dot com and it's like a fan site, but he is there asking questions and is part of the media. Hondo Carpenter, and he says that he thinks Hunter Renfro's not gonna be on this team. That he thinks that something could happen post June first. And I'm thinking, why would happen post June first, Like they could just predate it if they wanted to cut, but that would be a trade post June first. And this guy who has been around the team and says, this is what he's hearing, And our friend Derek David Carr is wondering, Hm, maybe we can get old Hunter over to New Orleans. That's why he was tweeting about it. But I see it's just something to watch because Hunter Renfro would have trade value. And then if like Davante knows a little bit about that, maybe that informs it.
Speaker 3: It's all just interesting, little thorny.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break and then move on. All right, we're back Mark Sessler. The panic pivot is on the letter Q toffy toffy on a pivot all right, Uh, I.
Speaker 3: Have a little something on the pitch steal. So Q is for quiz me this. Why are we sleeping on the Steelers? Why are we acting as if the Steelers are nothing more than a side piece in the AFC, A plant being destined to produce only dark fruit. When the Steelers will win eleven or twelve games and ship all memories of big Ben deep into the world of yesterday, there is no more big Ben. Big Ben is days gone by horse and Buggy. Big Ben is a texture mill in central Oklahoma. Big Ben is a parabolic mic along the interstate. The Steelers will win a playoff game at the very least in middle December. Mike Tomlin will march into a dive bar in Moon Township and buy the entire house a cocktail of their choice. They will laud him as a king. Twenty five cartons of Chinese food will be brought in General Sal's Chicken, various chow mains, platters of white rice, and then the tavern will quiet as a young child named Wedgley stands atop the bar and reads from a fortune cookie. Lucky numbers seven, twenty one, thirty six, forty nine, fifty five Fortune animals will be able to speak telepathically with their owners by twenty forty nine. My Fortune Steelers twelve and five AFC title game, Oh Seacrest out.
Speaker 5: Put that on DMFB that was not your The whole thing. The Fortune Pies all of it. Kyle, let's put put that out on the show. Actually, mark On, I'm gonna say early in the show, as early as possible.
Speaker 1: He'll be awake, He'll be away that you're perfect for Good Morning Football.
Speaker 6: I say, I feel strongly that the Steelers are being massively overlooked.
Speaker 3: You want to go telecast nine Chiefs games? I think the Steelers when they have an off here, Mike Tomlin wins nine games.
Speaker 1: Right. I guess my my only thing was, like I would not want to watch a ton of Steelers games in the in the number one slot on CBS. I don't find them. They're good sighting, you know. I also don't I don't see it in this conference like a path to twelve wins. But is Kenny Pickett a star.
Speaker 3: In this equation? I think that we get year two of Kenny Pickett. Who I mean, I thought down the stretch because he's.
Speaker 1: Got to be kind of like close to a young star caliber.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I think he is the perfect fit for Pittsburgh. He might not be somewhere else, but there's something about the whole thing. And I thought he was just super clutch late in games when it mattered improved in November and December, and we saw improvement and it's like he made Mitch Trubisky a complete memory.
Speaker 6: Thinking about that Christmas Eve game against the Raiders where Kenny Pickett through I think it was Pickett to Pickens and you were there, Yeah, and that game was so exciting and the Steeler, like the Raiders lost that game twenty seven different ways. But then Kenny Pickett had some juice with the offense and Najie Harris and I kind of like what they have going on there. They're not the most exciting team on paper, but they could be.
Speaker 1: I like their draft. They've addressed the offensive line. We talked about that after the draft. That get back to being the Steelers and see if naj Harris is really worth what you invested in him in terms of as a producer.
Speaker 5: What do you think, Greggy, I love what Mark's selling here. To me. I don't know if they're going to win eleven or twelve. The trick is I like all these AFC North teams on paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where do you at twelve wins? If they rate it can't work out the way.
Speaker 5: But the over under I think might feel the strongest one in the entire division would be them over eight and a half. Like I, I agree that that is under selling where they are in their development, that they should be looked at. And I think I'll be putting them in the playoffs as well. So I'm in it.
Speaker 1: Won nine last year eight and a half. You said loving eight and a half, I would bang the over on that. Yeah, I think nine or ten feels right.
Speaker 3: Twelve was a little rich. But this is the game you play. You have to say this now and so when it doesn't happens, but when it does, so let's make them remember.
Speaker 1: Just a quick look at the before we move on. So you got Cincinnati coming off they're at eleven and a half, a twelve win season. Uh, they're still going to be great. The Ravens got Lamar and added to the wide receiver room nine and a half. We like the Ravens. The Browns. We just talked about the Browns as a team that if Deshaun Watson bounces back at all.
Speaker 5: They're nine and a half too. So they're at the same level over under as the But this Craven.
Speaker 3: This can't happen. See where like that we have everyone in the I predict that like two of these four teams were talking are gonna flat line due to chaos that we don't see how it.
Speaker 5: Can come close though, because we mentioned it on the schedule release show. They play the AFC South at a division in the NFC West, which you know has got a couple of good teams, but the Rams and the Cardinals might not be so great.
Speaker 1: This is going to play out very well for yet another one seed for the Chiefs because while they get to beat up on the Raiders and the Broncos and torture the Chargers, I feel like the AFC East is just so competitive they're going to cannibalize themselves a little bit. Same thing with the AFC North, where I think ten eleven wins probably takes that division. The South I'm not ready to take seriously as a real entity in terms of the playoffs. I think that will depress the win totals of the teams, because I do think you're right, there's always a chance one or two of these teams tank, But right now they all look pretty competitive with quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Well, they had a nine to ten and twelve win team a year ago, so it's you know, business as usual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, quiz me this because you could just slide it. You slid out.
Speaker 3: Like the way there. I actually had that entry in three different letters, like I just wherever it wherever it.
Speaker 1: That is smart smart.
Speaker 6: I got very distracted reading about the Steelers new secret offensive coordinator assistant Glenn Thomas.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's something that you guys need to put on your radar.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's I remember when Matt Canada, who's there U in peril though, see that no one likes, was once kind of the secret offensive assistant that was helping the former offensive coordinatoruntil they got rid of him and lifted up Canada.
Speaker 1: You have some Canada anti Canada takes too, don't you.
Speaker 3: I did in the middle of last season, but I warmed up to him.
Speaker 5: A not a big Canada guy all right.
Speaker 1: Up next are Connie are Rich.
Speaker 6: That's where I'm going here, as in I'm waiting to see when Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert get that quarterback money. They both have these two years left on their but now the Lamar and Jalen Hurts signed theirs, there's some more comps to work with for the front offices.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow says that he's pretty clear.
Speaker 6: On what he wants in the negotiations that are going on right now.
Speaker 2: The Justin Herbert talks are pretty quiet, but.
Speaker 6: I'm really interested to see how what the years are on both of these deals. Because Jalen and Lamar both signed five year deals. I think that these both of these the Bengals and the Chargers, both of these franchises are owned by families that I think that they're going to want to push the years hard on these deals. So I'm interested to see where did the year's land and where the money lands for both of these.
Speaker 5: Guys, and the guaranteed money, because you mentioned it, I don't think these teams have as much cash as others because of the nature of their ownership. We went through the whole escrow thing. We don't need to talk about escrow. But it's kind of like for these fan bases, all right, Chargers, Bengals, let's be grown ups. Let's just take care of this. I think both quarterbacks are so low key they don't want to have any big drama publicly. But there was some talking Cincinnati. It's like forever that was Paul Brown Stadium, Remember, they just wouldn't get a naming right and the whole idea of them getting the naming rights was literally like looking ahead to this Joe Burrow contract, like we better we better sell it to Akroscher. I don't know is it Akroscher? Who's Akrosher?
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 3: Acrosure is in the midd that's Pittsburgh. Don't they have to have more guaranteed money? Mar Jackson pay Courts Stadia. Don't you have to pay these guys more than Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: So? And and Patrick Mahomes who signed that ten year contract, which was interesting. It's probably gonna get a new contract this offseason two, like a restructured one where he gets more than Jalen Hurts too, So it's.
Speaker 1: All that's a fun one to watch, spicy whoever gets Yeah, who gets more? That's good. Who's the highest paid player in the league. That's how this ends, right, I think it'll.
Speaker 5: Be Mahomes Mahomes?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, uh, let's see s that's me. Spoon perhaps the most underrated rock band of its era, all things considered, everyone likes Spoon, Greg they just don't know it.
Speaker 5: We were just talking about this.
Speaker 1: Yes, they have a song called the Underdog. I don't know if you guys know it. You probably do. You probably heard it, like, Oh, I liked the song. You didn't know it was spoon. It was featured prominently in one of those Spider Man movies with the new guy.
Speaker 5: I'm not aware not Andrew Garfield. Oh yeah, with a tall girl's boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 5: We're really talking like middle aged you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know the kid, the boy with the glass. He goes around with boyish charm charisma for days. Very good actor, young actor. Anyway, that leads me to the Arizona Cardinals. They are the ultimate underdogs entering twenty twenty three. You ready for this? Here's a stat. The Cardinals have opened as underdogs in all seventeen games this season, per DraftKings, Ladies and gentlemen. Am I gonna do it? He's gonna do it? Is there an oh to seventeen possibility in Arizona?
Speaker 2: Oh that's dark.
Speaker 3: I think that's so tough to achieve.
Speaker 5: And yet your team did it and contain almost did it again. No, it's possible they did.
Speaker 3: I would say this like it's let's say there's a world, and I think it's very possible where they start out terribly and Kyler Murray. It's just sort of agreed that we're not going to put Kyler Murray into the middle of a car crash. And so you've got a combination of Cault McCoy if he's even able to play at this point, David Blow Jeff driscoll at quarterback. So that's the roadmap to not win games and to get destroyed. And I think they're the They're the one clear team that like has a reason to get the number one pick and has a reason to not put Kyler Murray in Week twelve and try to win a few meaningless games down the stretch. So it's possible they're the one the first team I'd say possibility.
Speaker 5: I think it's possible because of the out of division schedule. So you're you're at Washington, say Week one, like that should be a somewhat winnable game, but with Colt McCoy's starting, it's it's less winnable. I mean, as much of a mess they were at the end of last season, they were in all those games and they won. They won some of them. You know, do they win that Atlanta game? No, Atlanta won at the end, But like you look at their schedule, and in each site I go to on the side, it's like tickets as low as blank. And usually for most team it's like one hundred and fifty dollars, two hundred and thirty four dollars, and with the Cardinals, it's just like twenty bucks, twenty five bucks, thirty five bucks. Like you can get in. If you're into the Cardinals this year, you can get into the building.
Speaker 6: I wonder if there'll be a team that is like so the coast, so sideways that it's actually fun to watch at a certain point, like it comes back around, it goes so far heywire, and so it just becomes comical at that point.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's if they get the Carson Wentz signing done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got it.
Speaker 1: They could be a wild if Carson Wentz is on this stage in at.
Speaker 5: Houston week eleven. You're right, it's not. It's like not the craziest thing. And unlike the NBA, which just had the lottery, you know, you get that worst record, you get that one pick, and if you listen to the draft people, the quarterback draft people, some people like Drake May more than Caleb Williams. So that this is a year where I think there's gonna be two quarterbacks people absolutely love, and there'll be a lot of motivation to get to the bottom.
Speaker 1: Here are some great Spoon songs if people want to check it out Wild, which is one of my favorite songs the last couple of years. Anything you want the Underdog? As I said, you got your cherry bomb? Do you? Sister Jack? Inside out? I turned my camera on. I think that was in the pilot of It's.
Speaker 3: A lot of songs, a lot of songs.
Speaker 1: The way we get by it's a great band.
Speaker 5: But as we as we were talking about it's a band, you hear the song and you're like, oh, yeah, I like this song. Who is this and someone goes like, oh, it's Spooning, and near like yeah, I was like that. I was like, Spoons. But then you don't follow up and actually listen, that's my That's been my.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that's impacted their their bottom line in a really egregious way, and it's probably very frustrating, But shout out to Spoon. Speaking of Spoons, you remember Mark back in the day. We're coming up on the year anniversary of one of the most famous questions in the history of around the NFL to cave on Thibodeau the Giants defensive end. Let's listen in.
Speaker 3: You know, you've just gotten to know Brian Table, your your new coach. Would you just instinctly do you think he's more of a front spoon or a backspoon when he is spooning someone.
Speaker 1: I don't answer those type of questions. That's a tough one.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was this decision because just like right now, I was staring at, you know, my laptop and then come up with a variety of questions for him. And we had talked to him before and I thought that, uh, you know, he was going to be.
Speaker 1: Game for he was a humorless boob.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that wasn't the case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I we were friends, were famous.
Speaker 1: When Greg was here, everything was under control.
Speaker 5: I connected with the youth.
Speaker 3: I was like, looking, I had I had a decision, and it's like, I know this is not going great. I make the decision to ask this question or pivot off to something panic, pivot to something much more mundane.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, no, of course we're asking this question. And it was the right move. As a journalist, it was the right move. You know, there were some events that came after the fact, after that interview, that the public got an eye on some things for that young man that maybe he does. You know, he could stand to rethink some decisions. I put it that way.
Speaker 5: I do love as part of that clip before, it's like Thibodeau barely had the words out of his mouth and Dan's just like, oh, yeah, that's a hard question. It's like board, It's like, let's let's throw Mark from the boat.
Speaker 1: Well, no, you have to see his face. You have to see his face as the question is being asked. Because it was like a slow motion car crash. From my seat, I was like, oh no, oh.
Speaker 2: No, I never really heard it describe that.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I did not leave big little right, I did not describe a spoon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's I actually.
Speaker 3: Agree more with front or back because in certain worlds, like the back person could be the smaller. It could be a smaller person spooning.
Speaker 2: It doesn't I'm the smallest big spoon you will ever meet.
Speaker 3: Right, but you can play that role.
Speaker 5: But god, a little I don't.
Speaker 2: Like being a little spoon because I I mean, misterphobic not surprising, and I don't think he necessarily likes it, but.
Speaker 1: Pill for his poison. I wasn't throwing you under the bus. I was trying to like it was going or I try to pivot out of that. Yeah, we were.
Speaker 3: We got through that together.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: That's all I'd say about that, because there's another It's like another fleshy like seventeen or eighteen minutes like.
Speaker 5: This guy over here. I don't know about that question.
Speaker 2: My god, I.
Speaker 1: Didn't do that. I didn't do that.
Speaker 3: It was It was a tough one though, but it's like a twenty five minute conversation. I remember being in my car after that, like you're just like trying to figure out what just happened.
Speaker 1: What it was like a bomb it dropped. I do there is a part of me that always has thought we got to bring him back. I think so now I just called him a humorous boop that that could be an issue. But if it gets back to him, but he was and maybe if he's on the show again with Greg most importantly vitally, yeah he'll be back in you know, better speaking opportunity for him, more playful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll have to ask him again.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is a great call. Let's say it goes great, and he's like flying with us. And then one last question.
Speaker 5: Like we didn't really get the answer last time, but we've been wondering the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: If you changed your mind, you do answer those questions now.
Speaker 1: T Greg all right.
Speaker 5: My word is a truculent, Uh, defined as eager or quick to argue aggressively defiant.
Speaker 2: Have you been called this?
Speaker 5: No, but I think that could be accurate in some cases. The sentence describe you know, they use an example sentence It was his days of truculent defiance were over. But let me tell you mine are just starting. It's truculent offseason. Uh, let's let's hear some things this offseason maybe that will inspire truculence or just to kind of like get familiar with the words. Roman Roy right now. Love that guy. I don't care what he does. Truculent as hell. I mean, he's he's there's.
Speaker 1: Something there by the way. I think maybe you see yourself.
Speaker 3: I think Craig sees himself.
Speaker 5: I hope there's not too much, but I just think he's because he's.
Speaker 1: Like a monster on the show's.
Speaker 5: A funny is a funny monster. I've I've always been a Kieran Culkin fan. Going back to Igby goes Down, I think he's just a great actor, but he cracks me up. I think he nails that whole thing.
Speaker 1: He's an enemy of democracy.
Speaker 5: Well now yeah, with the political stuff, it's been less funny that he's trying to ruin the country.
Speaker 1: No spoilers though, No spoiler.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: Anytime like any reporter or analyst or someone on Twitter tries to draw any meaning whatsoever from oates in mini camps that go beyond injuries, uh, that will make me truculent. Like it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I saw some of that with your boys, Anthony Richardson recently. The spirals are unbelievable from this kid. Can't relax.
Speaker 5: Just I think the Rams are gonna get truculent when anyone says rebuild, this is on my radar. They're gonna be very sensitive. But if they're not rebuilding, when you cover.
Speaker 3: Like eight teams in one with one letter, yes, you're just scattering me. You know I'm being scattered left and right.
Speaker 5: But they're just one sentences.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm gonna revisit one of these teams. I feel.
Speaker 5: I think the important thing is people leave this show understanding what truculent means. After my her suit uh disaster the other day, it is getting hairy.
Speaker 1: Right now? Do you step on one more Sessler topic I have, Like we'll get.
Speaker 5: I have four more Bears fans. We could double up a little. It's like Bears fans anyone time anyone points out how little ebra flues added to the defense, or like even there's like a.
Speaker 3: Little of caution, don't get checking point that out earlier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that I think Bears fans that that's they'll get truculent. Uh, Deshaun Watson or anyone associated with the Browns will get truculent if anyone dares mention the reason he missed the season and a half and like, uh, he didn't go to jail man. It's America, Like they get very truculate. Spit a blanket on the entire fan they like, I can't mention it. Sean Payton if anyone mentions he was the Broncos fourth choice to be head coach, Oh, it's gonna go. And then Bill Belichick not truculent at all. This is Bill Belichick season. He's so happy in the offseason. I think he loves this. You tell oh, actually his he's like wearing the shorts. He's spinning the whistle.
Speaker 1: Was everyone a negative spinning except for the Patriots. One is that he's.
Speaker 5: Spinning the whistle in the press conference. He's that he's like he still loves football. I don't think he loves like losing and the stressless season, but this is his time. He's just like teaching. He's a cot like he's a teacher, and he's just like in a great mood.
Speaker 1: Now, I bet a lot of coaches are like that. Press is where the pressure isn't on them at all, and they just have the ability to do what they love without peering eyes and all that they swing that big old whistle.
Speaker 5: I hope I didn't make you panic pivot.
Speaker 3: And no I'm not. I'm like, I know where I'm going.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break and finish this out. All right, we're back mark you.
Speaker 3: I want to mention one of the teams that the Gregg reference, so I'll say you is for underrated. I'm asking a question. I'm not okay, is it possible where sort of blanket level underrating the Rams? I just wonder because when I read like what Jordan Rodrigue describes what the team is doing like there is an incredible youth movement occurring, so and Sean McVay decided to stick around through this, Like, I wonder if it's a gateway to see that we're maybe underrating the powers of Sean McVay in general, like to coach up like a super young roster that still has a star quarterback, arguably the best wide out and the finest defensive player in football. Little top heavy, but there are pieces or like to your rebuild truculency. Do they get to a point in the season and be like or even the offseason, say actually, this doesn't all fit together the way that we thought, and Matthew Stafford and others are out the door by Halloween. If a team needs a quarterback or someone else and that does become a full rebuild, I just wonder how they view themselves because they seem to be more confident in who they are and what they are, then I feel about them looking at the roster.
Speaker 1: If I'm Sean McVay and I guess less need I'm loving this setup right now because no one, like you're saying, thinks they're worth of damn right now, everyone thinks the bill came due and they were terrible last year and they're just gonna not be competitive this year either. And I think that's a little yeah, that's a blanket statement just to assume a lot went wrong for them last year. I mean a lot. And it's even under the best circumstances. Returning after winning a Super Bowl is a very hard task for teams. So now you get past that hangover thing, you get all the terrible injuries, you got a fresh start there. And I think what they're trying to do, Connie a little bit is thread the needle. I think they know they're not a powerhouse, maybe internally, but I think they look at it and they say, you know what, with this core, with these superstars we still have in the building, there's a path that ten wins here and being a relevant team and playing in the postseason, and then who knows what happens. And sure it's not crazy to me.
Speaker 6: I guess at this point they're a team that could be looked at as playing with house money if they do exceed expectations, because the expectations are so low. But even just pulling up the death chart and looking at who's there the defense, especially, Like, yes, they have Aaron Donald, but it's a lot of names that really are not big names at all. And you have Jaylen Ramsey gone now too with this secondary I mean their corners or Robert Rochelle and Darien Kendrick. Like, there's a lot of names that aren't household names. And sure Cooper cup could come back from this injury and be great with Matthew Stafford, but I'm just I'm not really buying it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they can do it.
Speaker 1: To the point of what you were saying, though, Mark right, is that this has to be for that building. They're like, we like some of these young guys. We're excited about coaching them up. And people don't think we're gonna be able to turn these guys into players, but I think they probably do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they signed a ton of undrafted guys too. I just think it's more it's not that this is this eleven win season in hiding. I think it's just that maybe they feel like the plan is not just this is a throwaway year. We're not the Arizona Cardinals. There's maybe a lot more going on here. In like a weekend NFC, and I just want to I think it's kind of like we've seen Sean McVay coach a star studded team and we saw the result, but like this is a different version of them. For some reason, this Rams journey is more interesting to me than the sort of like prepackaged Super Bowl team that was foisted upon us by the entire NFL.
Speaker 6: You know, I could see them almost as like a Lions of last year because we saw we watched hard Knocks, and you know, of course our expectations are always high after hard Knocks, but there was a lot of names that we didn't know how they could play, or what they would be like in the NFL, and how they would play together. And then they came together and exceeded expectations. So maybe that's what the Rams do, right.
Speaker 5: And I don't think they were happy with their coaching staff last year. They bring in Mike Lafleur, They're asking a lot of Raheem Morris. The problem is I think they're over under six and a half, one of the lowest in the league. I think they think they can beat that. I think they think their recipe is we can be a legit good offense like a top seven or eight offense with these veterans and the defense like Raheem Morris, like, we are asking a lot out of you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: We know we're not giving you much talent, but can you just make them respectable enough for this offense which has a lot of veterans. I mean, we say they're a young team, but like Stafford, Higbee, Akers Havevenstein, Noteboom Cup, Jefferson, those are all Super Bowl starters essentially.
Speaker 1: So you said six and a half, six and a half, I'm banging the over.
Speaker 3: I would too. It's just not a very good conference. Bang, I think it's right.
Speaker 1: That's not true too.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think six and a half feels about right.
Speaker 1: Like bang the under the seven you're saying that's it, they're ex seven and eleven lost team. Okay, I'm sure. I'm sure is saying, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Good point. They won five in a total bottom out situation. They still it's a good point.
Speaker 1: Up next is Colleen. But the always difficult letter v he.
Speaker 2: Is for votes and vetos.
Speaker 6: We have the letter by coming up next week in Minnesota, and one of the things they will be voting on is whether or not Amazon those TNF games late in the season can be flexed from Sundays to Thursdays, which I think is super interesting. Goodell was pushing this in Phoenix a couple months ago. They had twenty two votes. They need twenty four votes, so they just needed to get two more for this to go through. And I mean, it turns out when you're paying one point two billion dollars you can get better matchups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one point five billion, you could do it too.
Speaker 2: You lose me on the math and the decimal points, so yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think that it's tough to move any games in and out of Thursday because it's so early in the week. But they'd be able to do this with a fifteen day advanced notice, so teams would know ahead of time whether or not they'd have a short week or maybe they're getting out of a short week.
Speaker 1: Truth.
Speaker 3: I like any flexibility that allows us to not get stuck with like a stink bomb on Thursday night late in the year. I think the teams and the players have to feel very differently about it. I think in a way, we get to a point where they're just being moved around the board for our pleasure, and like from a health standpoint and a planning standpoint. They're the they take, they take the yel.
Speaker 5: I feel like we we've come a long way in terms of like comfort, as in like a Western society. I can live with like a finger of a Thursday night game here and there, Like I think we can accept that. Maybe Amazon can't hence the billions. But if you give me like three total stinkers on a Thursday and it just don't watch it if you don't want to.
Speaker 6: Broncos Colts last year in overtime and.
Speaker 5: Was early, That's what I mean. You can't prevent that. That was that looked like a good matchup.
Speaker 1: As al Michael said, scheduled a little leaky last year. Well, bet leaky.
Speaker 5: But that part of it was because Russell Wilson was so heavily involved in so many primetime games.
Speaker 1: A little bit leaky. Who's up? I'm up? Time for a poised to pivot? Oh do w all right?
Speaker 3: We went down the Amazon path to Uh that's true.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm asking if you that what caused you to have to pivot?
Speaker 1: Oh way back? Devanta Adams, Okay, that's why it's so poised. I've had time I love it. Uh. The Washington football team, formerly known as the Redskins, now the Commanders. And there is a thought now that Josh Harris and his gaggle of buddies have you know, rolled in or about to roll in. Why do we have to stick with commanders? What's the point? Like that was just like we talked about who was the private pile? What was the pig? They rolled out private pork commander what commander Carnitas? What was it?
Speaker 3: It was the absurd they got on field care.
Speaker 1: They rolled out the mascot at halftime of their final home game months.
Speaker 4: Before the Commander Tuddy Major Tuddy, Major Major Tuddy.
Speaker 3: I've just looked that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't say Commander Carneath.
Speaker 5: You can't just change the name again?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 3: I think there's I think there's provisions that prevent that, but I why not?
Speaker 5: But I guess you're right. I take that back. I don't like Commanders.
Speaker 2: Why not just go back to Washington football team?
Speaker 5: I like that all we didn't.
Speaker 1: He it's kind of a take that. It's kind of like everybody agrees that's not good either. Washington football team.
Speaker 5: Why not? It's different. It's like other sports. So it's somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah is it what because it's like the it's like soccer football.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that it was interesting. This is one another football I know, but that's just it's just for one team. So that's kind of Commanders just doesn't feel right to me.
Speaker 1: I'm not yeah, I just think maybe that's a little cute, but it's this is a Washington.
Speaker 5: This is Washington. I hear you.
Speaker 2: But where names that you want?
Speaker 5: Like Joe, thisman had a pretty good point. Let me there's a Commanders in Washington. There are many commanders in Washington. Okay, And Joe was right. And now I want to say my take here is not that the commanders should change their name. I I I'm saying, why wouldn't Josh Harris have the ability to It's his team.
Speaker 1: He's spent not just six billion, an additional fifty million on top of the six billion. Joeth, thisman who once told us about you know what so many throughout Washington, scattered across d C. He says, chill, Chill.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't be a fan of rebranding because we've had you know, we've had three different names in four or five years, and to go through it again now that's one side of it. I think just to change for change's sake doesn't make sense. It never has for me. But you know what would be the reason to change. If you think of the San Francisco forty nine ers, the forty nine ers, they speak to the history of San Francisco of what they did in gold rush time. When you think of the Washington, DC area, it's the seat of command of all military.
Speaker 1: He's right. He was right then when he leaked the name, which he wasn't supposed to do, and he did, by the way, that was Grant and Danny on one O six to seven the fan and he's right now.
Speaker 5: The seat of command. Maybe we should call them the seats.
Speaker 2: The seat of command is truly wonderful.
Speaker 5: Joeagon Is Joe still going to be like the kind of figurehead with the new ownership because he sort of had like an unofficial statesman role which I believe was paid by the old ownership.
Speaker 1: Are there any I know Englewood High just walked in. Any anybody that's big Rams fan? Back? There?
Speaker 5: There many Rams like hand a couple of hands like they're not actually listening to the show. The audio The audio might not be available there.
Speaker 1: Are a couple, Eric, there are a couple. Do we want to ask one of the students their thoughts on the RAMS in twenty twenty three?
Speaker 5: I mean, that's putting them on the spot, but sure, I'm down.
Speaker 1: Eric, you mind handing over the headset? Yeah? Yeah, let's talk to the youth. Let's get connected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does anyone want to talk about the RAMS?
Speaker 1: This is this is what it's about. No sales or deciding. There are roughly forty four students behind the glass right now. They're deciding who will speak on behalf of the youth of southern California. All right, here we go, Here we go. Here we got someone stepped up? All right, who are we talking to?
Speaker 3: Hello? My name is Isaac Ramirez.
Speaker 1: Isaac Ramirez, buddy, you from Englewood. Yeah, all right, and you are.
Speaker 4: Class of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: All right, the best class.
Speaker 8: Sorry to say, I'm just going to say that right now.
Speaker 1: I love it, I love it. Welcome to around the NFL. Were you aware that this podcast existed before you came into the not at all. Okay, that's something we need to work on. We need to connect that, we need to connect. All right, I'm sorry you're name again, Isaac Ramirez? A right, Isaac, you as you know, the Rams called Englewood home for several years. Now, what are your thoughts on the Rams entering a new season. Excited? You're in? Yeah, you're in, all in because a lot of people are saying the Rams not so hot anymore. They won the Super Bowl, they were bad last year, and now they should be overlooked as an Englewood of your saying people got to respect the home.
Speaker 8: Team exactly exactly what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: What has it been like for you? You know, as a high school student, so you were here essentially when they moved into the area. When so far moved into the area, have you seen like Rams fandom pick up? Are you emotionally ty like? What has that been like for you?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 8: For me, since my last names are mirrors, you know, I gotta got to represent gotchah, so technically they're my team.
Speaker 5: Just saying just sing okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mark, is there anything you want to share? A class of twenty three, your class of ninety one, ninety two, I've been ninety two, thousand years ago, kind of looking as we spin.
Speaker 8: Forward, Oh my god, that was so long ago.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything you want to share with the youth of America.
Speaker 3: I have no wisdom to offer young people on any level.
Speaker 5: Okay, what about Texas?
Speaker 4: What about Texas?
Speaker 3: I think you're probably going to do a better job of it than I did over the course of time. So I wish you well.
Speaker 2: What do you want to do?
Speaker 8: Actually, I'm going to the navy.
Speaker 5: WHOA, he doesn't know that song either?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 8: Actually I'm not I'm not that young.
Speaker 1: Finally, finally, last question. You don't know us? What can we do to kind of get into the neighborhood and let people know that this podcast exists on any level?
Speaker 8: Well, to be fair, I don't really know anything that you guys talk about, like to that extent.
Speaker 5: Okay, football, yeah, yeah, football, but.
Speaker 1: Like football, like pigskin, things like that kin. That's fun.
Speaker 5: And you ever heard the word truck truculent before truck you lent your suit. It means eager or quick to argue or fight so that you can you can impress your navy fence for.
Speaker 2: The more, you know, I learned that today to everybody, everybody.
Speaker 1: Behind the glass, classmates, give up for isis good luck with everything?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 1: See I feel like we've connected with the youth. Now whether that makes a difference in the metrics word of mouth, you never.
Speaker 6: Know what the reason you're connecting with the youth for the metrics stand correct.
Speaker 5: Well, I did notice a lot of his friends were recording that too on their phone, so we could get some major's.
Speaker 1: Little bump new audience. All right, anything else? Are we done?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: No, I do have to go save my sick. Uh, my sick.
Speaker 1: All right, let's roll through it here.
Speaker 5: All right, I think I'm up.
Speaker 2: We'll do it quick. Yeah, Greg's up with X.
Speaker 1: I commanders change your name if you want, but I think follow Joe Eisman whatever he says, all right, go ahead, X all right.
Speaker 5: My my word is uh, seister. I'm not sure how to pronounce.
Speaker 2: Care what you're doing this again?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I asked Eric during the show if he could play a pronunciation guide of this word. It's x Y s t R. I saw this word and I was like, what a word. Let's let's try to hear the pronunciation. Oh, okay, sister, let's hear that again.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I trust what is it? So?
Speaker 5: The sister is a sir instrument for scraping bones. And that's I feel like the Vikings have been using a zister to their defense this offseason, just picking it clean. Their top four cornerbacks are gone. Their top four cornerbacks last year. Patrick Peterson was one of them. Who else, Duke Shelley, Cameron Danceler, I don't know who was the fourth. Who cares. They weren't very good, Peterson was, Okay, it's all a bunch of new players. You get rid of Eric Kendricks at linebacker as well, you get rid of Zidarius Smith. And on one hand, I'm like, what is up with this defense? And then on the other, oh, you brought in Brian Flores. That's a big upgrade. You actually can't get much worse than you were last year. So worst case scenario, maybe you're the same. You're asking Brian Flores to do a lot. You need young players, like their picks last year at the top of the draft who really got no playing time, who was Scene Their first round pick got hurt right away, Lewis Scene, and then Andrew Boots Junior the second round pick. So they have some young players. They have Denel Hunter still, if they can just improve to a little bit maybe that offense is enough to carry them and they're not a total disaster this year. Eight and a half is there over under right now? That feels fair. But defensively they took the zisters.
Speaker 1: Is that kind of remarkable? And we all know thirteen and four was weird last year, but to get banged all the way down to eight and a half, Yeah, I think that's my only pushback to We're hearing that a lot like, oh, Brian Flores is there now, they're gonna be much much better. Yeah, but you gotta have players to coach up. And maybe it's the same thing. And like I was saying with La they like a lot of these years, they're.
Speaker 5: A one sided team. I think they're hoping they're defense bad their defense, They're hoping their offense can be a top ten offense, and then the old line's pretty good and they have weapons. I think Addison could be a big upgrade from where Adam Thielen was a year ago, so the offense could be good.
Speaker 3: I wonder what they what they told Brian Flores. Because of any team in the league this offseason, it was the Vikings that have had to make like really severe moves to they couldn't even pay the rookie class. I have to get rid of zid areas, right, That's exactly why that happens. So, I mean, if anything, you have to give Brian Floores like a total mulligan. They were awful to begin with. You've taken parts away and you're essentially putting them into a completely new scheme. We're probably if you're Brian flour saying, a lot of these players don't necessarily fit what I would handpick to start with. So it's gonna be a long year. But to Greg to your point, like, they were literally the worst defense in the league last year, So if they're the second worst, he's done an incredible job metrics wise.
Speaker 1: A lot of pressure, a lot of pressure on the offense. The offense has to be great and then the defense. If the defense goes from like the thirtieth best defense to the twentieth best this year, is that enough to get back to the playoffs? Maybe?
Speaker 5: What's that pronunciation again? All right, let's move on. A surgical instrument for scraping bones.
Speaker 2: Oh surgical?
Speaker 6: I was gonna ask you, is that like a Butcher Show surgical instrument?
Speaker 1: Like an undertaker? More choy all right anyway, Mark, why all right?
Speaker 3: I am panic pivoting, uh and this time I have no backup plan. But I do have a question that I had a little bit of something there. But I'm happy to ask this question. Why is for for you? For yolo? I guess a term that I think I banned in the past.
Speaker 1: Each of you sweat is building.
Speaker 3: Give me something this off season that you're going to do to change your life before all hell breaks loose in August. Something that you vow to do that will improve your life between throwing it back to us.
Speaker 2: I'm a perfect pivot.
Speaker 6: That's a perfect a pivot.
Speaker 1: The okay, Colleen, you're up.
Speaker 6: Then I will be figure skating more because it makes me more of a grounded person.
Speaker 1: That's a great I thank you, adore that, Greg Dan, Okay, panic pivot off, a panic pivot. I will be spending time with family in Texas and New York and New Jersey. Sure, catching up with friends, and that is revitalizing to me after a long football season. So that is what I That's how I will Yolo bro low back to you.
Speaker 5: Greg, Greg, Yeah, I'll be in Japan in the in the hottest part of the seat year. It's about ninety five degrees in humid every day and I'll be there for a couple of weeks and I really hope to just lose a lot of water weight.
Speaker 2: That way, John and I are coming with you next year.
Speaker 3: By the way, that's my goal too, to lose, to lose a fair amount of water weight.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm just saying. It's it's it's sweaty.
Speaker 1: Also, listen to more Spoon and spread the gospel of Spoon, the Austin rock band.
Speaker 5: There you go, Well, what about you.
Speaker 3: Lose water weight? I'm that's serious about that show.
Speaker 1: Some of that z Colleen closed it out the last one.
Speaker 6: Zenith, I start it with Nader. I'm ending with zena nice And that is exactly, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you.
Speaker 6: That is exactly where the Kelsey brothers are right now in their lives. They are living. They have never been more powerful as siblings. They were both in the Super Bowl. They're hosting, well Travis is hosting SNL, but Jason was there too. Jason was bits exactly. They are the big get for any time, any show, any radio show, any TV show that's on right now. They had Kelsey jam at the Draft Jason Kelce was smashing beers with fans in the audience.
Speaker 1: Kelsey jam was like a party, right, yeah, it.
Speaker 6: Was a huge concert that they So they got invited to that, right I didn't go.
Speaker 1: And you're Philadelphia Royalty. The fact that you even got the invite and that said no, I can't make it work just shows.
Speaker 6: You know you say Philadelphia Royalty. I feel like I reached my zenith when last week Andy Reid told me I have Philadelphia hair, and I was like, well, there is nowhere to go for And then at the top of the mountain.
Speaker 5: And he said say hi to Gonzo during a live interview on television, and you read that's Did they keep that in the show?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I didn't.
Speaker 5: You were a little worried they might edit that.
Speaker 3: Gonzo's response to that, I'd be on the top.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he knows. I have to tell him.
Speaker 1: You know what else, Like relatedly, you can tell Joe it's a busy day.
Speaker 5: You told me so that's the preference.
Speaker 1: You told me.
Speaker 2: About it right after it happened. It was a pre tape earlier in the day.
Speaker 1: One more Philly related zenith, the sixer is about midway through the third quarter of Game six against the Celtics.
Speaker 2: Can we not?
Speaker 5: Can we maybe merely? Fourth quarter? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They can't get out of that round.
Speaker 5: I can't get past.
Speaker 6: He's done, they're us career.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, keep going, get it out.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 6: I'm done with the with the Celtics and their stupid parquet floor.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Head out.
Speaker 5: It's just paint now, it's not a real parquet.
Speaker 2: But it's over. It's all over.
Speaker 5: Five free teen. I mean, he's got to help himself.
Speaker 6: None of those sports in Philly ended up going all the way, so that's cool.
Speaker 3: Well, we feel for you.
Speaker 2: Why do you come over to the Philly side me? Yeah, I'm fine, fan, I'm absolutely well fine. We don't want you then, never mind.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've sold it well, you've sold it well, but.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, ummm not really.
Speaker 5: You've reached the zenith.
Speaker 1: We've reached. We've reached the end of the Yellow Brook Road. The glossary of terms twenty twenty three off season is complete. Thank you to everyone behind the glass you know again, and also thank you to Englewood.
Speaker 2: High School shout out and Isaac.
Speaker 1: And Isaac Ramirez, who is going to do some damage in the Navy.
Speaker 5: Isaac, Isaac's gonna go far in life because he was in a room full of people who are all just like looking at each other and saying like who wants to take the mic? And Isaac's like taking the mic?
Speaker 1: What's the highest level of the navy admiral total admiral material?
Speaker 5: A lot of admirals in Engwood.
Speaker 1: Definitely are getting that wrong, right, Just another correct, another correction to make and thank you everybody behind the glass, Eric Rondie Chavez. Very tough week, uh and tough run for ATM lately, and they've been doing great work keeping us afloat heed the call