Speaker 1: Most people are stressed because stress is usually measured, but how much you feel you control events versus events control you. Smartest people usually are terrible investors. The smartest people want to know everything before they decide. Not deciding is the worst decision.
Speaker 2: Hey, everyone, welcome back to on Purpose, the place you come to become, the happier, healthier, and more healed, where you come to listen, learn and grow. Today's guest is not only one of your favorites, he's one of mine. I had the fortune of growing up to his tapes and books playing in my life in my house thanks to my dad since I was a young boy, and I truly believe it transformed my mindset from day one. I was fortunate enough to have that for years, and a few years ago I got to interview the man himself. The interview went viral, It broke so many records across audio and video, and today I have him back in the studio. I'm speaking about the one, the only, Tony Robbins, Number one New York Times best selling author, entrepreneur, and the nation's leading life and business strategist. Over the last four decades, Tony is empowered more than one hundred million people across one hundred and ninety five countries through his books, seminars and coaching. He's leading the one hundred billion Meals challenge to help end hunger worldwide. This January, he'll host the Time to Rise Summit, a free virtual event which I want you to sign up for, bringing together people ready to transform their lives and businesses. We're going to put the link all over this.
Speaker 3: Make sure you.
Speaker 2: Go and subscribe and sign up and don't miss out. Please welcome to On Purpose, Tony Robbins, Tony, it's great to be back.
Speaker 1: Who with this. It's quite an introduction. Jay almost embarrassed by the way you have to live it.
Speaker 3: You have to live it.
Speaker 1: So it touches me when I hold are you thirty eight?
Speaker 3: Thirty eight?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, so many thirty eight comes in. I've been listening to you for twenty five years or twenty years or something like, how old are you? I've been around that long? Good. No, it's a pleasure to be with you, and I really love what you do. Your introduction and you didn't mentioned, but I want to mention his intention for all of you listening was that his guests, whoever they are, that their message will be received and people go deeper in their understanding of that person and also their careful that person and vice versa. And I think it's a beautiful intent. The whole on Purpose podcast bringing happiness and joy and healing is it's my mission as well. So I'm happy to be with you. Well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for leading the way and paving the way for so many of us and continuing to be such a great torch bearer for so many, Tony, I want to start with you. Know, with you, there's so many things we can talk about, and you've been doing this work for decades. I feel like your ability to learn what's the root of things is second to none.
Speaker 3: It's so powerful for you to know.
Speaker 2: And I feel today since even when you started, people are still stuck. The thing I hear the most is I'm stuck in a relationship, I'm stuck in a dead end job, I'm stuck in life and I feel like I can't move. I don't know what I need to do. What's the first thing people need to do if they feel stuck.
Speaker 1: They've got to make some decisions, right, I mean? And what stops feel make decisions? You and I to what is this fear people are afraid of making the wrong decision for you to not being perfect, fear of the consequences of their decisions. But let's chunk it up a little bit. What do people really want? We started out we were all here created by something. I like God is the term. Some people like the universe. I'm not here to argue with that whatsoever. But we have to agree that something created us, and that's something gave us choices, and choices are how we co create are basically our lives. It's not your conditions, it's your decisions, the term and the quality of your life. I had pretty rough conditions growing up, to say least, but I turn those into good conditions because of a mindset, because of certain psychology, I gets to certain decisions and if you think of it, your life. Most people are stressed because they stress is usually measured. But how much you feel you control events versus events control you. The more you feel events are controlling you, the more overwhelm you feel, the more stress, the more anxiety, the more fear. And we live in a culture where mental health is that record lows in terms of quality and happiness and joy and fulfillment and anxiety or through the roof. And it's not because the world is so much more stressful. It's because the way we process the world, we have more information coming at us than any time in history. Obviously we're drowning and information. We're starving for wisdom. But in order to go from being stressed and not we understand that the I think the single most important tool is decision making, because I think that's been the skill that took me from you know, barely surviving in a family that had tremendous pain and tremendous angst was to be the nicest, waring to say, and no finances and four different fathers and a lot of physical and emotional abuse to being able to serve literally hundreds of millions, billions of people. It's been decisions along the way. So if you look at your own life, yours, mine, anyone's life, anyone listening or watching, you have to be honest and say, I'm a creator and if I don't like what I have, I've gotten here by the decisions that have created that. And look, there's lots of little decisions wake all day long. And I know you talk about decisions. I'm writing a whole book on it right now. And most people, well, you know, don't understand that most decisions are easy to change, right, you know, I think I think you give an example. I give the example of Bezos as well as Amazon and type two decisions, the ones you can change are easily Type one are significant, right, They're going to be hard to change. Focusing on those big decisions is really important in life. But I think most people they're afraid. And then the second thing is they think they don't have enough information, which is really just fear again, because you know, I wrote an entire book where I interviewed fifty of the most incredible financial people in the world. All people started with nothing became billionaires, the best investors in history, the Ray Values, the carl Icons, the warm Buffets. And one of things I learned over and over again from them is the smartest people usually are terrible investors. And it's not going to be Yeah, And they said, because the smartest people want to know everything before they decide, and if you wait till you know everything, the opportunity's gone. And that's true not just in finance, I think that's true in life. Yes, right, we wait till we have absolute certainty. There's no absolute certainy in life. The only absolute certainty is faith. You know. It's like, how do you drive down a street but nothing but a line separating you from crazies coming driving at you at sixty five miles an hour, And every single day, in every country in the world and every city in the world, someone will cross that line and kill someone because they were drunk, because they fall asleep, because they're texting. And yet how do you get out there every day without fear? And do it? You use a gift that God gave us. It's called faith. It's not what you learn faith. I'm not talking about a religion. I'm talking to the capacity to see beyond the present moment and have a sense of certainty. Right, And so why do you do it? Because the alternative is to live at home and do nothing, go back to the COVID days and be trapped. Right. We know what that did to people psychologically, emotionally because they felt completely at the effect of things. So the fastest way to change your life is start making some real decisions. And I know it's hard initially. The other part is it's just that the more you make decisions, the more decision making muscles you get you know what I mean, It's like, well you barely Some people have weak decision making muscles. They You've ever been to a dinner with somebody or a group of people, and there's always one person that's hanging on to the last moment, still can't decide. You seeither way to wait, just trying to be nice. You can see him kind of losing my right, it's like, just freaking decide, help this lady out right, And they finally decide, Well, that's the habit of a lot of people, and they can't make this anyone to eat for dinner tonight? How they make a life decision? Right? So the first step is to make some maybe he make some small ones that you can do and get some momentum. But the more decisions you make, the faster it gets. I think the whole idea that I have to make the right decision is the is the wrong way to look at it. My whole view has been not deciding is the worst decision. Right. I need to consciously decide if I don't want to feel like things are affecting me, if I'm going to shape my world, I'll make a decision. And if I'm wrong. I'll find out quicker. I give you a real life example. I don't know if you remember a General Schwartzkough. I got to know him pretty well. Those are younger probably don't remember his name. But the first war that was done over, you know, whether I ran, I guess basically with Iraq. Rather he ran the Allied forces. And he's a brilliant guy, and he was very powerful. He could talk to guys that were from the barrio and he could talk to guys from Princeton incredibly well. And I really lovely human being. But I asked him what the most important skill was of a leader and he said decision making, which I agreed with obviously. And I said, well, what do you think he's making decisions? And he said, I'll tell you a story. So he told me the story. I tell you the short version of it briefly. When he was a private, he represented a general, and the Pentagon had worked for almost I think, he said, more than a decade and a half analyzing this strategic decision they had to make. And there are people on both sides, and they argued in on both sides fully, so strongly, that no one made a decision for over ten years, and they knew they had to make the decision. If they didn't make it now, it could cost the country our security. It's a big decision. And so he, being the private organized the team that had to read all these volumes of materials so they could summarize it so the general have the information. And he said, then the meeting got pushed up and even with a group of eight people, they could not gather all the information and fully summarize it. Meanwhile, the generals called overseas during this time when he should have been prepping. It wasn't his fault, but he had a deal in it. Flew back the night before they're loading up with all this information. He didn't get back till ten o'clock at night. The meeting was eight in the morning. Right most important decision in the Pentagon's history was how it was framed, he said. He came in the meeting, he said, give me your arguments. One person stood up for twenty minutes and gave this full blown argument. This is the direction to go, all right, give me your argument. Twenty minutes, full blast their argument. He said, okay, do this, and he all saluted and he walked down the room and he said, Schwartzkof said, he's a private nun general right at that time, right, he said, I don't know what the hell to do. He couldn't possibly know all this information, He couldn't possibly know what to do in this situation. And he was totally stressed by it. And so he worked up enough courage to knock on the General's door and said, General, permission to speak freely. He said, ease, at ease, he goes, General, I've worked on this for four weeks with eight people. I said, you weren't even here last night. This is one of the most important decisions. Ever, how could I know you'd an if all the information, how could you possibly make that decision? He said, young man, because the decision need to be made, And he said, on both sides are equally strong. So I picked the one I believe is right. If I'm wrong, we'll find out quicker. It won't take a dictator, you know, ten years to mind out. And if I'm right, we'll continue. If I'm wrong, we'll make a shift. And he said it. He said it just was outside of his world, was so simple. And then he told me one other one that I thought was really good. He said he was leaving one time, and he left him as a private in charge of things. He said, you're in charge, you make these decisions, you do these things. He said, general, General, how do I know what to do? He said, rule thirteen? He goes rule thirteen. Sir, he's starting out the door, and he says, what's rule thirteen? Conn figure out what rule thirteen was? When put in command? Take charge? He goes, Okay, he goes, but but how do I make the right decision? Goes? Rule fourteen? Goes rule fourteen? Sir? What's rule fourteen? Do what's right? And those simple approaches I think can guide us. And I really believe decision making is the most important thing. So if you don't like your body, change it. If you like your relationship, change it. Maybe change you first, otherwise you'll trade people and have the same problems. Right, you know you don't like your career, change it. But it for things to get better. We got to get better for things to change. My teacher gym aroone say, you got to change, right, But it all begins with a decision. So maybe start with small decisions or maybe attack a big one. Because when you do you get momentum. And by the way, it's only a decision if you act on it immediately. And so I have a rule that's like anytime I set a goal, anytime I make a decision, I make sure that within a few minutes of making it, I do something that commits me to follow through. Because here's the other problem. Have you ever done this? You ever made a decision then not follow through? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why because I was Maybe because I made a decision and I was uneasy about it afterwards, or there was some fear that crept in or I didn't I didn't have a plan to execute it on it properly.
Speaker 1: All those are the typical answers to you're it's spot on in your experience. But the biggest reason is people think decision is a one step process, and I found it's three. Right, you can decide in the moment. The reason I make that commitment that when I'm in the moment, I do something that commits me. When I leave that moment, you get in state, you get inspired enough, or you get pissed off enough, something moves you and say, none of the day, not an hour, I'm changing this, right, But then when you leave that moment and you get caught up with some meeting or something with your family, or something in your social media, email or whatever it is. Gradually you're in a different state. And then you don't fall through and what you're set is true. Something else comes up that you weren't prepared for. Right So a real decision, the word decision comes from decision in Latin rings means to cut off from When you cut off any other possibility except what you committed to, you will find the way. It's always told people, if you want to take the island, burn your boats. As long as your brain has a way out, it'll go back. And it's amazing what you'll do when there's no option to go back. Most of my career has been because I had no net. You know where its screen, Williams, and I got to turn around right now. She can't get on her sister died. She can't get in on the USO. But she can't get on stand up, she can't get up to do anything. Everybody knows I'm working with her. I don't get her up. All thing's over, I get her up. I turn the president around. I do whatever I've got to do, no matter who it was with no net you find a way. So I think the biggest thing is once you decide you want to go to the second step is commit In fact, I hear women say this to me all the time. I know you have a large female audience. They'll say, you know, men don't commit, and I said, has he even decided? Because they are different steps. Women jump to commitment very quickly. Men not as quickly, right, and so deciding is like a war. Sometimes you know, I figure it out. Okay, I've decided, but then commitment. If I ask your audience to ask them, what's the difference, let me ask you what's the difference in deciding committing to you?
Speaker 2: I feel like, decide is I know it's direction I want to do. Go in commitment is I want to stay in that direction for a long period of time.
Speaker 1: Yes, you just added with exactly what it is. A commitment takes it into the few. Decision is the moment, and that moment can change, which is why so many people make a decision legitimately and don't follow through. That's why you need to take action immediately that commits you to follow through, meaning book the meeting, enroll in the class, you know, call the person and set it up organized so you can have that conversation you haven't wanted to have and put it on the calendar so that there's momentum going out of it. But then committing. Deciding is really rough. Committing is not that rough. It's just creating enough compelling reasons to follow through, even though it might be tough right now. But there's a third step, and after you decide and commit, there's resolve. What's dimsting decide and commit and resolve for you, what's the emotional difference?
Speaker 2: Resolve to me, at least from the way I'm hearing it is just in your own experience. Yeah, there's a sense of I feel a sense of confidence that I made the right decision, so I can recommit and reconnect. Or I get a sense of now's the time to pivot, and so there's a resolution of am I continue down this road or we're gonna pivot?
Speaker 3: Yes, at least how I hear.
Speaker 1: I understand complete you're valuating with something new came. But to me, resolve is whatever you did in that moment, it's done right right. I know. Jim Runt had told me one time that he was speaking about resolve to this audience of young people, and I think it was like a nine year old girl. He said, who's got definition? Resolve? And this young girl stood up and she said, I think it's promising yourself you will never give up.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: It was a beautiful example. When you resolve, you're at peace. Deciding is like a war, right, committing choir's energy and take you into the future. As you describe and then resolve, it's amazing. It's like it's done. It's done in me. It may not be done in the world, but it's done in me. Now I'll find the way or I'll make the way, and there's no uncertainty, there's no fear, there's no anxiety, there's no it's like when you get to that psychological emotional place, that's the place and what you get results. If you look at an athlete, athletes are perfect examples this. I'm sure you've seen a time where you watch an athlete walk up to shoot a free thrower, let's say, a kick her football, and you think it's going to miss it, yeah, and then they do. How did you know they're going to miss it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Physiology, the where their head was, where their eyes were.
Speaker 1: Yes, you could see in their state a lack of certainty when someone when you see, like you know, something like Lebron take the ball to go straight in and go over some top of somebody's head and put it through. There is not He didn't just decide, he didn't just commit. He has resolved that every ounce of his where it's going to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So I think, just to summarize, I think there isn't a more important skilled than decision making. And if you're not good at all, you got to start making some decisions. What would you my question would be, instead of just listening yesterday, if nothing else came out of this, what's one little decision you could make that would increase the quality of your life that honestly you know you should make. Maybe even putting it off because it's inconvenient, you've got lots of other stressful things in your life, or you're not really comfortable. But if you really committed and you follow through, you just decided, commit it and follow through right resolved, where would you be a year from now? What would your life be like? And I would take a little decision and what action would you take today? Make that decision now and then if you're bold, what's a big decision, what's a tough decision, what's the decision you've been putting off? Or you know and you got it's right, But you know, it might be about a relationship, you know, it might be about how you're dealing with your kids. It might be around your career or your business or your finances. But that's how life gets better. That's how you start treating life as opposed to being a manager of circumstance. And I think when people are maintaining, when they're managing their circumstances, when they're surviving, they're miserable. Like we are made to grow and we're made to give. When we grow, we have more to give. And so I think decision making is the pathway one of them, certainly to getting there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so powerful listening to you talk about it, because I feel a lot of us. The second mistake we make is that after we make a decision, we hope that that decision solved everything. So it's like you make one decision and then you're like, all right, well I quit my job or I left that person, or I got a new job, and that should solve it. And the reality is what you're saying is no. Decision making is a continual process. It asked up in time and time again. You don't get to make one decision. Your life is sold.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Life is made up of lots of little and big decisions along the way.
Speaker 1: You know what the biggest problem is that people have They think they're not supposed to have them. Right, Yeah, problems are a sign of life. I remember I interviewed who was the name Norman Vincent Peelee Dr Peel, who wrote the original power Puzzle thinking book when I was thirty two. He was ninety two, and he invited me, because my career was growing, invited me up to Toronto to meet him at an event he was doing. So I came backstage and I spent about an hour in advance, and I remember asking. I said to you know, I'm curious. I said, why is still doing these events? He goes, well, Tony, there's still a few negative people around here at ninety two. I said, what's the most think about? Ninety two? He's men's horse and carriage to rockets, right, you know, nothing to computers, right. Just the changes in his lifetime were just unbelievable and I said, what do you think is the most important thing people need to understand? And he said the power of problems. And I said what do you mean by that? He goes, well, the only people out problems are in cemeteries. And I said, I think I heard that. Some we said, I'm nineteen forty seven. I said that, he said, but they never finished my quote. I said, the only people out problems are in cemeteries. So if you don't have any of you bitter, goun on knees and pray for some. Because he said problems are a sign of life. And when I find his problems, call us. He said. He was sitting one time at this dais. He was at a speaking to ass and was like a luncheon and beside him was the heavyweight champion of the world and he was back in the forties, right, And he said that he looked at his name was Jeene Tunny. He's a pretty famous guy. And he said, Gean, how do you get muscles like that? And Jean said, do you really want to know? You just asking? And he said and he told me in his head, he goes, I was thinking, I was just asking. Now I really want to know, Because he were so intense about it, he says, no, I really want to know. He goes every day. I push against unbelievable resistance, and that's what sculpts these muscles. That's how you build muscle. And he said, I thought about a long time afterwards, and he said, I think that's how we developed spiritually. We push against problems, and that's what sculpts our souls. And so I think to think you shouldn't have problems. You can call them challenges. It feels better. But this part of life is part of the journey, and solving them makes you bigger and more alive, more spiritually developed, more human, more caring. You know, pain and suffering. You don't have to suffer long, but we're all going to experience some of it, right, But decision making is how we get out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you're so right, because one of the biggest challenges today is overthinking.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Right, We're exposed to more information, or so we think. And I was reading a study that was saying we now consume seventy two gigabytes of data per day.
Speaker 1: How much we have truly consumed absorb?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like face to buy it. Yeah, and you think like, that's a lot. I remember when you were lucky enough to get one gigabyte on your iPhone and number talking about seventy two gigabytes coming at you.
Speaker 3: So decision making is.
Speaker 2: The kind of arrow that cuts through that, because that's the only way to get out of overthinking. And so if someone's spiraling, if they actually listened to you and said, hey, if I just make one decision off of this, that would actually create a shift for them.
Speaker 1: I can tell you too. It's too long in a conversation like this to describe in detail, but I can give you how I make important decisions.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 1: I have a six step process, and if people want to jot it down, I call it oc EMR. Those are the trigger letters for what I do, ohc EMR. And I developed this years ago because I only had one business. Now I'm fortunate enough I have one hundred and fourteen companies. We do over ten billion dollars in business, and I have no business background, all decision making learning skills, et cetera. But way back then, when I had a small business, these decisions were just it was tough. They were important decisions. They felt like it were life and death decisions. For the business, and I knew that, you know how smart I am, you're better with a group of people around you because even if you have more information, they have another perspective, you know. And so I was trying to find a decision making model, and I thought, well, all decision making is really value clarification, like what's most important to you? Like what you decide with someone else side may be different, but maybe right, because it's about what do you value most? Right? So I thought I should start with decision making, not by all the emotion that I may have of either anxiety or fear or excitement or passion. Either one can lead you astray. It's like, what do I want? What's the outcome? That's the first Oh outcome? So I get people and by the way I tell people, do not do this in your head. The reason people get overwhelmed as they ask multiple questions too fast to answer that it's like, what am I going to do? I don't know what to do? What if she says this? What if he did that? But what if it doesn't do that? And you're asking twenty questions and you don't have the processing power to answer them, You're just going to overwhelm slow it down, one thing at a time, right, But start not with what you're afraid of, start with what you want, because that's how the human nervous system is designed. It's designed to make things happen, to create. So if you become a creator, you start with the wom So, what are your outcomes? And this is the reason it's hard to make decisions for most people is they have multiple outcomes trying to get from the same decision. Right. They want to make everybody happy, and they want to make a million dollars and they want to have more free time, and you know, all simultaneously. So you have to say, which of those things is the most important to you? Is it the free time, is the family time? Is that they make more money? I'm sorry, what's most important for you? Right? So I have people write down their outcomes, and they're usually multi if they're having a hard times because there's multiple outcomes. And I also say, don't ever do this in your head, because you can't manage all your head pictures worth a thousand words. So you write down the outcomes and then you put them in order, and then you put the why because the why is what matters, Like what is the reason. What's the emotion mind this? What is it? I'm even though I say this is what I want, what I want out of this? What's it going to give me? It's going to give me joy. It's gonna be happiness, fulfillment, spiritual development. What is it? Right? So, now when you're crystal clear what you want and the order you want it in, and that's critical, what's number one? You got to be rigorous. Now you can make decisions by going into second h What's what are your options? And I always tell people one option is no option. Two options is dilemma. You need at least three choices to be a choice, right and so, and when you get to three, usually find this four or five. Now, you may not like them all, but you shouldn't lie to yourself and say this is the only option that'll stress you out, or these two in the option you get stuck in a dilemma. So I write out all the options. Then I go toc is consequences, which is what you're doing the decisions for what's the upside and the downside of each of these decisions. To the best of my knowledge, the upside could be this and this now couldst be that and that I've confided the first half. Okay, now you know what exactly you want, you know what your options are, and you know upsides and downsides of each. So now we're gonna go into the last three stage. I'm gonna evaluate, mitigate, and resolve e Evaluate. Now I'm gonna evaluate what's the probability of those consequences, because you might have something that's like, oh my god, if this happens, the worst thing on earth, but the probability is next to zero, and you're all stressed out. Unless you evaluate probability, you're wasting your time. You might have some go oh my god, if this works out, it's gonna be the greatest thing in the history of the world, but the likely it of happening is zero. Right, You can't let those dreams get you. So you start to see by evaluating what's there, and then the last two steps are fast. It's mitigation. Mitigation means Okay, I've seen what I want, I know my options, I know the upside there, I know what's probable. Now could I take something from this option and mix it with this one? Is there a way to mitigate the downsides? And almost always there are, and at this stage, your brain gets really creative because it's not in fear or uncertainty or anxiety, because you're not in your head. It's right in front of you. And the last part is resolve. And I gave you a million stories. It was too late to do, but I can just tell you I've made personally four hundred million dollars in one decision I made from this. Personally, I'm trying to give you economic piece. What the spiritual emotional value has been on things is priceless, and I can honestly tell you by using the system. And I'm writing this book right now called The Power of Decision because I want people to have that skill, and I show them everybody bezos decision making skills. I teach people everybody's format, but those are my format for doing it, and I found it to be incredibly valuable, especially when you had resolve, you know, to it, not just a side to the process. So I hope that's helpful for people.
Speaker 2: That's a great system. That's the best way i've heard it explained. I really appreciate that model because I think too much of what decisions making is based on today is if you really want something and you go after it, and you organize and you have a plan, you'll get there.
Speaker 3: And it's like you.
Speaker 2: Didn't evaluate the probability, if you didn't look at it from a systematic point of view, or the other side of it is like, all right, you made a decision. You get some good insight, get some good advice, get some good mentorship. You pivot, you pivot. But the point is you can save yourself so much time.
Speaker 1: You got it by.
Speaker 2: Doing what you just share huge amounts of time, huge amounts of time, money, and energy. I was going to ask you, Tony, you have such a systematic brain, like when I've learned from you listen to you, everything is so process oriented, which I love. But at the same time, you have this deep faith, this deep spirituality, and you brought it out there. You said, I'm ad four hundred million dollars, and at the same time, the emotional and spiritual benefits.
Speaker 3: Prices are off the charts.
Speaker 2: Talk to me genuinely, because I think today we all hear about oh you can manifest this and you can get that and this. I feel like you have a really pragmatic and process driven approach to both. How does faith, how does energy? How does spirituality correlate with a very systematic, process driven approach.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. No one's really asked me that question. That's nice. It's a reflection of your qualities as well, which I think you look at both sides as well as I do. I think there's nothing more important spirits soul. There's nothing more important than your spiritual development. Anything else is a joke. And yet maybe the best I described is think of about it as East and West, right, we both have experiences of both. I go to Indy at least once a year on average, and I've been going since I was in my twenties because I was fascinated by the cultural differences. And as a gross generalization, the East is more about internal development. If you go to a place like Varanasi, which is one of the oldest cities on the planet, you know, thirty eight hundred years old, they have fires that have been burning for thirty eight straight years NonStop, and for people don't know it. In that culture. You know, everyone has different perceptions of God or belief of what God is, but in that particular culture, it doesn't matter what kind of Hindu you are. If there's some believe you should give up all your clothing, everything but your clothes. Some people believe it's studying the Vedas. Some people believe it's through yoga. Different ways to get to God. Million different ways, and there's more than three hundred million different gods, your own personal god in that culture, right, very different. But they have a belief there that if you die in Varanasi, it's the only thing I've unified, then you don't come back because the belief is a reincarnation. So they want to you know, not come back, which would be nirvana, right, And they burn these fires and when someone dies, they try to get to Varanasi no matter what they do, because they believe that they die there, they won't come back. And the city is filled. You've been there, haven't you? Yeah, fill the people that are dying and joyous. I can't remember. We went to Mother Teresa's facility and there's a woman there that was tiny, little lady, and she was like in her nineties and I was talking with her. She broken English there and she was mad as hell. She was dying. She was mad. They scooped her off the streets and they're helping her. She came here to die because this was her really pissed off, right, and then most Americans have you know, they burned the bodies. I watched him burn the bodies on this boat, and I'll never forget the first time I did this. And I watched this little boy who's flipping this look like stick or twig, and it was his grandfather's leg. No one is crying, no one is sad. They believe that the body is the t shirt. You burn it and it goes away. So the spiritual side life has all that is seen there and that yet people live in squalor. You come to America and people get stressed about they didn't get the special burger on the sauce on their burger, right. And you see people that live with tremendous economic opportunity who spoil it and don't take advantage of it. And people have tremendous second opportunity when they're not fulfilled in their relationships. They're not who's to say they're not spiritually developed but looks on the outside, but the way they treat people, they're not spiritually developed. And so I don't believe you have to pick one to the other. I believe that they go together. I've always believe when I originally was learning, you know, constantly listening to albums that's hold I Am, and cassette tapes and reel the reels that's hold I Am. Eight tracks of various professors, speakers. I was just immersing myself in things. I noticed almost everybody specialized in either how I can look at his philosophy or strategy. Right. Philosophy is critical, It determines the quality of your life. It terms whether you're happy or not happy, fulfilled or not fulfilled. Strategy is how how do you get it done? And strategy is critical because you could save a decade with the right strategy in business, in your personal life with your body the wrong strategy, and you're going to be ill, right, And so early on I decided you need both, So I teach both. And I don't think that's anything but intelligence. You know to do both. So that's how I look at it. But if you think, like what creates, you know when you look I try to look at what does everybody want? And we're all different, and I think the best example I can give is that people want an extraordinary quality of life. But that definition is different for everybody, like some people's idea of an extraordinary life is you know, three beautiful children and a husband or wife that they adore. Some people's is to write poetry or write music, or to build a farm or garden. Some people's as a grow a business. Everyone has completely different eyes to what that is. I don't pretend that my life should be your life. I'm the example for you, but I'm an example of how you can take what you believe you want to create and make it real by a combination and enjoy it. Because how many you know have achieved and they want and then said is this that all there is? Because they have the right philosophy, or they were trying to achieve something they thought would meet a need for significance and they missed love, you know, the more important pieces of life. So I believe that there's two primary skills to have an extraordiny quality life, which I would define is life on your terms. So the first one is the science of achievement. That's a skill. So when I wrote my financial books and I braking three of them, I never intended that, But after two thousand and I was so angry because I worked with Paul Tuder Jones, one of the top ten traders in the history of the world, and I knew this was coming. I try to warn people, and only few number of people almost destroyed the world economy, right, and then we punish them by giving them more of our money. This is the most crazy thing. So I don't have a lot of power, but I have the power to convene. And so I brought together fifty of the best financial people in the world and kind of dug into their brains and figured out what's the common pattern. They're all different, that it made them go from nothing financially to financially free. And I want to show people that's still doable, because I think most especially young people, they don't think that's possible, and they're wrong. The systems rigged, is what everybody says. It is rigged to some extent, but it's still totally winnable. Life isn't always fair, but it's still magnificent, right, you can still make it magnificent. So the skill sets, it's like it's a science. If you do certain things, you're gonna have too much month at the end of the money, you're gonna have stress. If you use certain other things financially, you're gonna be free. That's a science. Your body is a science. Every one of us is slightly different. But there's certain patterns that if you violate them, you're gonna have illness, you're gonna have disease. Right, that's what it is. If you surround yourself or apply them, you're gonna have a high level of energy, a high level of health. That skill is the one that most human beings in the Western world are pursuing. They want to achieve more, and the whole focus is let's get more, and we're a consumer culture. And so as a result, a lot of people do that and they're still unhappy. Right. That's because the second skill is more important and is not promoted in on Western culture very much. And that is the art of fulfillment. And notice that I said art, not science, because what fulfills you and I consider you a dear friend, and what fulfills your best friend, and what fulfills your kids maybe really different. Even though you love each other and you're part of the same family, so to speak, we're all unique in that way. It's like what does God love? Go to a forest and take a look around. Everything's different. It's ultimate levels of variety of shapes and directions. It's not supposed to be one thing. I think that's the biggest challenge in our culture. We've experienced all this, you know, this pain and these shootings and so forth, about people who want to shoot other people because they believe something different than them. Man, what we've really lost it when we can't have a conversation anymore, or we can't learn to agree to disagree, you know, that's part of You can love somebody and still disagree with them. I know in Congress, I have friends who were, you know, worked at the vice president level and worked at the presidential level, and worked in Congress and Senate, and they would fight, like hell, three or four decades ago and they go have a beer together. Now they don't even talk to each other. It's a crazy thing. But my point is fulfillment is an art, and fulfillment is as different as you and I are. There are no laws to fulfillment, but there are some principles, and one is growth. If you're going to be fulfilled, got to grow. In fact, the whole self care mentality we have, which I think was important. It was like the antidote to the what they just call it the hustle culture, and people always stress. You know what, they're stressed. They're hustling just to make money. There's no meaning. When there's no mean, You're gonna work your ass off and be so fulfilled if it's meaningful to you, if you're doing it for a higher purpose than just money. I'm not saying you shouldn't have money. You should. It's part of a master skill of being alive and take care of your family. But if that's the only thing you're doing it for, you're going to stress out and burn out. I mean, stress comes to making things more important they really is. Failure comes to making things less important than they really are. It's an art, right, But the fulfillment side is finding what it is that allows you to grow, because when you grow, you feel alive. I always tell people. People ask me all the time, they say, what is it that makes people happy? You travel the world and millions of people is what's the common happiness? And I say progress, Progress equals happiness. When you're making progress, you're happy even when you achieve it. Like, can you think of a goal you've achieved that you're really proud of and then afterwards thought, is this all there? Is no, oh good, I'm so god. But you are more purposeful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, podcast Like I think that's because that's because you know it's about progress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, no, no, I'm agreeing with you. Have you ever had the goal where you achieved it and you're out of your mind? Like out of your mind and good? Like you celebratory?
Speaker 3: Probably not either?
Speaker 1: Interesting? Yeah, well, most people have had some celebrations. And when they celebrate that, what I always ask people is you're really celebratory. It was great, you achieved it. You're proud of yourself. Great, And I say how long do that feeling last? And I say to the last six years? No, six months, six weeks, six days, six hours. Most people somewhere between six days, six hours and six weeks max. Because you know why, why does it go away? Because we're not made just to achieve goals. We're made to grow. We're made to become more because when we grow, we make progress, we have something to give, we have more to give. So it's like everything in the world either grows or it dies. If your relationship's not growing, don't be us yourself, it's dying. If your business is not growing, it's dying. If you're not growing, some part of you is dying inside. So but I found that when people really grow, they're happy and then they want to share and they have something worth sharing. Right, So, if you look at somebody like Robin Williams, I mean Robin Williams, I think was one of the gifts of our country to the world. You know, he made people laugh all over the earth. He came here to Hollywood where you are right now, and he had almost no resources except creativity. And he said, I'm going to start my own TV show. Everybody says that, nobody does it. He did it. Then he said, okay, I want to know the storm own TV show. I want to make it the number one show at least five countries. He did it in nine. Right. Then he said, I don't want to do TV anymore. I want to make movies that's more dramatic, and he did. Then he said, I want to win an Academy Award for not being funny, a dramatic Academy Award, and he won. He said, I want a family that totally loves me, and I love me. He did it. He said, I want to have more money than I ever spent, and he did it. And he hung himself in his own home. How to explain that now People say had Louis bodies in his brain, but he had used alcohol and cocaine and drugs his entire life, staying hyped up. He worked to make everybody is happy except himself. So I really believe that success without fulfillment's the ultimate failure. And you do not have to separate them because if what you're doing is designed to try and serve something more than yourself, you're not going to be stressed. I mean, when you're trying to serve your kids, or you're trying to serve your community or your country. When there's something you care about more than yourself, there's an energy that you have. All suffering comes focus on the self. And I ironically again I started to mention self care. I'm not being derogatory towards self care because I think it's important to take care yourself so he can take care of others and take care of yourself. But it's become the new it's the new hustle culture. Self care means you're doing something directing your mind, so and spirit to become more, not just checking out right, and so many people are doing it now. And I think that's a huge reason why. I don't know if you saw. I looked it up the other day. I was actually brought it. I want to make sure that the right numbers that blew my mind. Yeah, Sixty one percent of gen Z has been diagnosed with anxiety disorder, sixty one percent of a generation, fifty four percent of gen Z women report diagnosed mental health conditions by American Psychological Association. Thirty four percent of gen Z are currently taking prescription medication, and there's been one hundred and twenty nine percent increase in the trajectory use of antidepress and among teenage girls since the pandemic. I mean, it's like there's something wrong here. This mental health crisis is because we think we should do less and we're going to be happier. There was a study done right in the middle of COVID by a woman run an article in New York Times, and she took people who are miserable and angry and sad and said, We're going to do a time management course for you for nine weeks, and I'm going to ask that you do more during these nine weeks, and at the end of nine weeks, just by feeling control of their lives right twenty percent increase in life satisfaction eighteen percent increase in productivity by doing five times more than what they were doing when they kept Because the problem with pulling back and taking care of yourself when it's the extreme side not what you or I would do. I know you have the meds thing you talk about, right and turns of meditating and eating well and diet and sleep righters that with the ones you couldn't agree more with you on that, But when people make it like just letting go and doing nothing, I mean, I am found the value of that. But the weaker we get, the harder it gets. It doesn't like you don't hit a bottom and now you're okay. You just get weaker and weaker, and now little things are stressful. It's just like the decision making. The more you don't make decisions, the more anxiety you have. The more you start making decisions, the stronger you feel. You feel like you're in control of your life. And all it takes is a few good ones for you to start getting momentum. So I think those two skills are the key to great life. Master the science of achievements. You can study how people did it get the same thing with your body or your emotions, or your relationships or your finances. But then when it comes to fulfillment, you have to discover what will help you to grow and what will help you to give more and what taps you. I oh, you have. One final example is this humorus to me. Steve Wynn is a good friend of mine who built most of Las Vegas about halfway Vegas beautiful favorite hotels, Yes, beautiful, beautiful old man and Steve quite a philanthropist, great human being, good front of mine. So we both have vacation homes in Sun Valley, idahoes for the snow. And I arrived one morning and one night the night before and I got there like two or three in the morning, and the phone rings at eight am, I mean, a four or five hours sleep. Who could possibly be calling me this home? Right? It's Steve Tony. It's my birthday. I want you to come over today, I said, Steve. I know, but it's eight fifteen, eight thirty in the morning. I just got here. He goes, listen, I got this new piece of art, he said. It's unbelievable. I've coveted this piece of art for the last thirteen years. He said, I outbid everybody at Aesophabes and literally they delivered it late last night for my birthday. You must come and see this painting. I was all right, Steve. I had one question. How much should I set you back? Eighty six point nine million dollars? Eighty seven million dollars, So I said, Steve, screw lunch, I'm coming for breakfast. I got to see what an eighty seven million dollar painting looks like. And I'm picturing God crashing through the clouds, some Renaissance image and everything else. I get there and he takes me in the room and he goes see and I look at it, and I understand what it is. It's a roth Go. But it's an orange square. If you've ever seen a roth Quot's and it's literally an orange square, orange and red square. And I said, Steve, they missed a few spots because this isn't filled in right. He got a little man and I said, this is a wroth Go. I said, I know what it is. He goes yeah, But I said, Steve, I said, give me one hundred dollars worth of red paint. Give me a piece of paper, give me twenty minutes. I think I can do this again. It stirred him up a little bit. You know, he knews I was teasing him. He goes, tony, you understand he committed suicide. Started telling me the whole story of the guy. I said, well, for suicide, it should be as blood for eighty seven million dollars. I mean, come on, right, But the reason I tell this story is he can barely see, but he can. I'm almost an orgasm looking at that because he finds meaning in everything, like he knows what every stroke means. I'm to look at icy orange square. I'm unsophisticated. So what makes you feel fulfilled depends on what you focus on. And you people say, why do you do that? He should have given that money away. He's given millions and millions and millions of hundreds of millions of dollars away. That's just everybody's judgment. I think you should figure out what it is that fulfills you, because if you don't find fulfillment, you're going to be miserable. More stress comes because you're not fulfilled. It's not because you're not achieving, it's because you're not making progress on what matters to you. It's because you feel that the effective events versus your affecting events.
Speaker 2: So many breakthroughs there that I just want to flag for people that I think are huge. The first point being this breakdown of the signs of achievement and the art of fulfillment. It's so important because I think today what people are getting confused is that they think if they're more fulfilled, they'll be better at the science.
Speaker 3: No, and that doesn't work that when you.
Speaker 1: Won't stay fulfilled either because their idea fulfillment is what feels good in the moment, But what feels good in the moment is what feels good long term. What feels good long term is when you grow. Yes, then and when you give the two things that make us feel life is growing and giving yes, and you grow so you have something to.
Speaker 2: Give yes, and then saying back the other way, the signs of achievement won't make you more fulfilled, which you made one big breakthrough. Second one is what you just said. Now, this idea that self care is promoting, this idea that we all want more comfort, Yes, that we should all have more comfort in life. And if we have more comfort in life, then we'll be happier, and you're completely kind of uprooting that and going well. Actually, the discomfort makes you experience progress, which equals happiness. That's great because that's the algorithm that we want to be a part of. And that's the hard choice, because the hard choice is choosing the discomfort, choosing the discipline, choosing the decision that may feel hard but is right.
Speaker 1: But the one that's the hardest one is regret. Not making the decision almost always leads to regret. If you make a decision that's wrong, you can change it and make another one. Even those type one decisions you know that Jeff Bezos talks about, most of them are still possible to change. This just takes a lot, so it's always possible to shift. What's what will screw your life up is not deciding, is living on the fence because the brain does not do well with uncertainty. Right, Well, that's one of the human needs is the need for certainty. And the fastest way to certainty is just make some decisions and act on them and discover what's real. So I appreciate your meta comments about that because I think I think it's really important to master both skills. I know so many people have achieve so much and they're so unfulfilled, and there's so many people that are trying for fulfillment and they, you know, never last. It's just like you got to think about it. Everything in life is calling us to grow. And if you want to know what doesn't work, the pop psychology of self care is not working any more than the hustle culture did. They're both extremes, right, Life's a balance, right, and if you want to see what the results are, look at the medication, then you know. And millennials are known as the our X, not the extra generation, the our X generation, right, So it's like that is not solving it. To feel good, not feeling good because part of what gives you drive it either destroys you or drives you. You have to make those choices, and most of us will not let it destroy us if we don't medicate ourselves. If we don't, we find a way to push through. But if if you don't have to, people go for comfort. And comfort will never make you proud, comfort will make you strong. Comfort will not allow you to inspire your kids, or your community or your friends. But there's a greater thing than comfort. That comes from fulfillment by pushing through what And here's the other part is, like I hear the word, the other pop culture element drives me crazy. Self esteem. Oh, I don't know any self esteem because when I was a child, people said these horrible things to me. And how convenient you only remember the horrible things they said to you, Right, they said lots of things. But the truth of the matter is what people said to you makes no means whatsoever as to whether you feel like you have high self esteem or not. Self esteem is earned by yourself. With yourself. Someone can tell your whole life you're beautiful, you're gorgeous, you're so smart, and you can fear you're not right. I mean people like that all the time, right, And they have all this anxiety because they call they're the best in the world and they find out they're not. The parents over blew who they were at that stage. They didn't teach them to develop it, or to push through or develop the muscle that would make them the best in the world of what they do. On the other hand, you can be told by people you're a piece of worthless, piece of junk. You'll never be this, You're a piece of that, and that person can say screw you all show you I am. So what people have said has zero impact on your self esteem, and telling people they're great or not great does not change it. Teaching them to have grit, teaching them to push through. The way you develop esteem for yourself as by doing difficult things that you know are right. When you do something and you know it's right, even though it's difficult, You're esteem for yourself grows and no one can take that way. You then take away money or material things. No one can take away who I've become as a man and my path, or you as a man, or anyone else as a woman. And I think it's really important to not if you want to feel good about yourself, it's not by relaxing, Don't get me wrong on it. I know how to relax, so you know, to take time. And I have beautiful family, have five kids and five grandkids, so I certainly have to be able to do that. And one of my kids is thanks to COVID, I have a fifty one year old daughter and I have a four year old daughter, so I have quite a spread at sixty. When I'm going to be sixty six, pretty soon, so I to give you a sense. So my life is full, but it still has to have growth in it. It still has to have progress, and that's what makes it fulfilling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the difference between growth and hustle? Meaning well, yes, exactly a hustle. I'm just doing it to try to make money if I'm busting my tail. But man, I know what I'm doing on you know? It is this I always people. I measure people's lives again, have to give a zero's ten score on their body, not compared to someone else, like your idea have a ten. When I was twenty, I thought washboard abs was a ten and I had them and my back hurt, you know, I mean I was out of balance right and everything else to screw it up big biceps and the week in other areas. Then, so I asked people, where are zier to ten in your life today? Based on what you want for your life? Is it energy?
Speaker 1: What it is? Where user to ten in the level of me an emotion? Because if you don't measure something, you can't manage it. I'm give it zero to ten and a little description. Give me zero to ten where you are in your relationships and the most important one your intimate relationships, because friendships are easy, right, you know, where's that? And if you don't have one, that's zero and you want to see that. So it pushes you right where are you in? You know your And this is the one that led me to it is your work or is it for you career? Or is it you know, a calling or a mission? And I already know who people are based on which word they pick. If it's work, it's work. If it's a career, they work at it and they pretty fulfill that. But if it's mission, like I know you and I are both called, I don't have to do this another day of my life. I do it because it's my mission, it's my purpose. I believe it's what I'm made for. There is no amount of work that can wear you down when it's mission zero. And if you haven't found that, I caution against one other thing. If I may love, you've stirred me up with some different questions. Yeah, it's good. I think it's important to understand a lot of people are trying to find their purpose. What's my purpose? What's this big purpose? Who said you had one? Who said you had one? For a lifetime. If you write down a purpose statement as long mission statement, it sounds real good and you read it, it's never going to cover all of who you are a way for you know, I have a different purpose when I'm sitting down with my daughter, my youngest daughter, than I am with my oldest I have a different sense of purpose and what I'm doing, and this business is for that. I have a different purpose in our conversation today. Purpose that is what gives life meaning. But you don't have to have one giant purpose that you're struggling to find. Life will evolve. And if you just keep moving forward in a purposeful manner, like whatever you do there's some meaning to it, then I think you're going to find you are much more fulfilled. And those measurements, by the way, I would do them on your finances, and I do it them on the spiritual side of life, not religious, but like religio means celebration. Most people in religion don't have a lot of celebration anymore, right, just a bunch of rules. So it's like, okay, I divide it is between how much are you celebrating life? Because isn't this an unbelievable gift that we're sitting here reaving this heart's beating. We don't have to work at it, that we're the skin's working, That we can have a conversation, that we can feel, that we live, that we can have our children. That's a miracle. We forget what a miracle does, just to be alive. Right, So are you celebrating and then are you contributing? Because celebration without contribution doesn't last, you know, And so I say, measure those things. But to answer your question specifically, I think it's critical that you understand stress comes from having activity without purpose. Is the drain on your emotional well being?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's and that's what we're struggling with. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just mentioned that you have a child who's fifty one years old.
Speaker 3: One that's four and a half.
Speaker 1: I don't I want to call her a child. Now you would appreciate that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have a daughter. You have a daughter.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you said you have a daughter who's fifty one years old, and you probably still see as a child in some ways.
Speaker 3: I assume I don't know.
Speaker 2: My mom, Mom's always my mom can't stop seeing me as a child. But yes, you have a daughter who's fifty one years old. You have a daughter who's four and a half years old. Talk to me about what being a dad at that age was like and in your twenties. Yes, to what being a dad in your sixties looks like like? What is what's different? What are the different challenges, what are the different lessons?
Speaker 1: It's my favorite stage of life is the stage of life. I would say that first for everyone listening. You know, I look at life and seasons. You know, it's like, I'm a big believer that the three skills we need to teach our kids or ourselves, especially in a world that the next five to ten years will have more change than any time in human history. Between nanotechnology and AI and you know, robotics and everything else. The world is going to change like never before. So how do you have an advantage there? You have to master three skills. Have to matter, pattern recognition, so that you're not fearful. A lot of fears because you think this is the only time that has happened politically, Oh well, never been this way. It's bullshit. I can show you stuff that makes Republicans and Democrats look nice to each other from the past. You know when you recognize a pattern, you go, Okay, this has happened before, and seasons are one of those patterns, right, and then you're not fearful. And then the second part it's not random. The second skill is mastering really pattern utilization. That's what gives you power in your life. Because now a baby can't get out of this room until they recognize almost all rooms have an exit and if I look around there, it's shaped a certain way and there's a handle that if a push pollar, I can get out of here. If you don't, you're trapped. So powdered recognition is power at a little level, get out of the room. At a big level, if you look at somebody that's great in business, like how do I have all these companies? I couldn't even run one company but five employees. I was trying to do a million dollars in business sie it wasn't hitting it, and I was stressed out of my mind to now have one hundred and fourteen companies doing ten billion. The difference is pattern recognition. It's like understanding and then learning how to use those patterns in those situations. So if you're good in business, there's certain patterns. If you're good at investing, there's certain patterns. If you've got good mental health, there's certain patterns. You know, if you're physically well, there's certain patterns. If you know somebody's a good dancer, they recognize how to use patterns to produce a specific result. Spielberg has made movies for forty years. He knows if I'm moving slowly like this. He knows if I go fast, what will happen if I pull back? If I bring the music up here. So anyone you know that you probably respect and like Don's just recognized patterns. They got great at using them. But the third level for me is pattern you know were a creation? Well you really. It's like if you've played music, you did it usually by playing someone else's music, Big Beethovenbak, whoever. You did. You live someone else's patterns, and you did that long enough you could use it, and then one day you start to come through. You start to become a creator. Right, we stand on the shoulders of the people before us. And so those three skills are how you can compete or do well. And I want that for my fifty one year old, and I want my four year old having said that, you don't recognize as many patterns when you're twenty five. That's your question, right, And I'm proud of the father I was. I mean, I got married with my first marriage to a woman that was twelve years my senior, and she'd been married twice before me. She had kids from both husbands, and she moved in with me, and she was so unhappy, and I was like, bring them here, and I adopted all those kids. So, if you can imagine, I was twenty four, just turning twenty five years old, I had a seventeen year old son and eleven year old daughter, a five year old and then shortly after a blood child of my own coming on board. And so I was out to change the world and I had to learn how to manage my life and who I was. And these kids. I fell totally in love with them, and the joy of my life today. And that marriage lasted fourteen years, and when they grew up, I really I was there for the kids, honestly, more than anything else. We weren't the right match for each other. We're still good friends, and I'm mar and my wife now, who I've been together twenty five years. The greatest gift of my life. But my wife didn't think we could have kids, and the doctor told a point blank we couldn't. So we end up doing it with a surrogate and it was COVID, and I'm normally going on road two undred and twenty five days in a year, two hundred days in a year. With COVID, they shut down every arena in the world, and we went from doing fifteen thousand people to them saying I could put one hundred people in the arena. So we pivoted and I'm started doing digital seminars. We did the biggest ones in the world, one point three million people for three days, you know, and really made it an experience. It was amazing. So there was time so we got our daughter. But the answer question specifically, I think in my twenties and thirties, I was still trying to figure out completely who I was, and all I knew is I want these kids to be loved. I want them to know that they're not here to demand from life. Life is expecting something from you, and that if you're here to be a contributor, you'll always be happy. And I really accomplished that. I'm proud of all my kids are all contributors. They're all contribute time, energy, money, resources to help people who are not as well off as they are. They're all great parents, and they're all just good people. But with my daughter today, it's you know, A had her at sixty one, so certainly not what I plan for. It brought more joy to mean anything else, because you know so much more, You have so much more wisdom to share. You have more time to just experience things versus when you're running trying to make it all happen. And I think someone like yourself at thirty eight, and we talked off the air here that at some point you'll probably have children. I think in that thirty eight, thirty nine, and forty you have more wisdom to because you're still you know who you are now to a great extent. You'll continue to evolved, continue especially you. I'm continuing to evolve, right, But I think there's just more to give at that stage. But I also would tell anybody that I wouldn't if someone would told me. If you think of zero to twenty one as being a pattern of seasons, like when I say pattern recognition, the pattern that has changed humanity the most. The first recognized pattern that we changed and started to use with seasons. Until then we were one hunter gatherers and starving to death unless we could find the right food. Total stress, way more stress than we have today. Right, But then what happened We realized, Wow, there are these seasons and if I plant in the spring, I protect it during the summer, I get to reap in the fall, have enough four winter, I can do the whole thing again. Well, if you do the right thing at the wrong time, you get nothing. It doesn't matter how hard you work. So I'm a big believer in looking at what season you are in your life. Great, what season you are in history? Right? What season I'm in with my family, And so I think a zero twenty one is springtime. Everything grows in springtime. It's easy growthing springtime. If you start a business in springtime, you think you're a genius. You're a genius. You're just in the right season. Right. But then summer comes and things are tested, and God or the universe, whatever you want to call it, has made it so we have an easy time and then we have a tough time to test this to make us grout an easy time of rewards and a tough time, so summer. Think of it as like twenty two to forty two, roughly zero to twenty one, you're taking care of I had a childhood that was a little tough, but I was thirteen or fourteen. I had to work to sport the family. But I still I didn't have to make all the money for the food. Someone else housing me. Someone else has taken care of me. At that stage of life, you're taking in information twenty two to forty two. Now you go test it right now, you go say, well, I was toddled to stuff for little I believe you know. And in the early stages of that season, you think you're invincible. You think you're going to be a multi billionaire president United States and have one hundred relationships simultaneously and everyone will be happy. And by the time you're thirty two or three or something like that, you start going, I'm not a billionaire, I'm not the present United States, and I can't even one person happy in the relationship. What the hell is going on here? And that's usually when people start to look out for people like you and I who are looking for some wisdom about how to live life in a way that's happy and fulfilling and growing and expanding because they know they're not invincible. That stage, if you're listening, if you're in that twenty two to forty two, it is the most painful stage across all studies, most unhappy stage. If you're happy right now, that is awesome, and anyone can be, but most aren't fully happy at that stage. It's the most trying stage. It's the testing time. And if you didn't grow during spring and take care of us soil summer, then you won't reap in the fall. You're going to weep. But if you grew in both those stages, now you go to the third stage. That's you know, basically forty three to sixty three, And both these numbers are round right. Some people are early, some people are late. But in that stage of life, you've accumulated enough skill and knowledge. If you've grown, you know the people. I'm sure you're already experiencing it now. Like I was in Greece and I got stuck. I'm fortunate enough to have a private plane and I'm supposed to fly to Germany, and I want to drop my family in Italy so I can have a good time and they you know, we had a two weeks in advance. They told us what the times to be, and then they changed the times in said I couldn't get out til after my seminar started with thirteen thousand people in fifty four countries, right, and I'm like and they were removable and so like, okay, my only option is find some other way to get to Athens and fly it somewhere else. And it's like, no, you know, at this stage of my life, there are very many people in the planet who do I know that knows, you know, the Prime Minister of Greece, so last Jot GBD, Tony Robin as soon as he knows it. It gave me a list like Mark many off of Salesforce and my dearest friends, the human Freadors. Peter Daman is one of my partners in business. He's you know, he's from Greece and he knows. And with the whole list, there's like nine of them. So I called three of them, and you know, the poor Prime Minister. I got about nine calls and next thing I know, no problem. They moved the time and everything else. There is a stage of life that if you've done your job and a contribute enough to society that you know most of the players, or you know most of the people in the industry, and you have you've got relationships that are twenty years long or maybe thirty years long, and the talent pool is not lasting. There's only so many people that keep growing, and so you usually know those people and have a role in that. So that stage is where most people have. That stage that we can think of as autumn as the falls, the reward stage. That's when most people earn the most. That's when most people tend to grow the most. That's when you start to really become a leader in that stage obviously can happen earlier. And then sixty four to eighty four to one hundred and four to one hundred and twenty four, which is the oldest living humans, is the winter stage, which is there's a gradual a client in the body no matter what you do at some stage, and you have to make sure you keep your mental facilities up. But it's also the most magnificent stage because you can make not only a phone call to get your plane out, but you are able you have thirty I have forty year relationships. Now I've got five kids, and five brand kids. You know, I've got people that I love with my soul that I would do anything more, do anything for me. I don't know many things in the life. I feel closer to God in the universe than I've ever felt in my life. I feel like my life is such a blessing. If my life ended tomorrow, would be the most blessed man on earth. I like to continue contributing, but that's not it. That's not in my hands. Whenever I go, it will be the right time. So it's just like I want people to know, and all the studies, by the way, show if you stay healthy, this stage I'm talking about is the most fulfilling stage. And it's a stage where you get to become, you know, an elder statesman, and you're not trying to prove to somebody who the hell you are. You know, you don't play the social media game. You know who the hell you are. If people know you like people know you're a good person. But if they don't, you don't really care, right, you just go deliver what you're here to deliver and do what you're going to do. So those stages of life I think are useful because we're all different, but there's a racetrack to life, and you're not there yet, but there's a stage in your life when your brain will go there may be more days behind me than ahead of me. That's usually midlife, whatever age that is in people's heads. It's different for everybody, and there's a beauty. There's a massive increase of the beauty of life. When you begin to realize it's a limited racetrack. You value every moment, every relationship, every experience you have even more. And I'm at a stage of life where I have so many friends that are twenty years my senior. I have a lot of friends in their eighties and friends my ages that have passed away just in recent years. And it just reminds you that it's a limited racetrack. But I think that's valuable. I remember I read a Ray Kurzwell sent me one time. Ray Kurswell is a brilliant futurist, one of the smartest in the world right and one day he sent me this little story he goes try and I think that you appreciate this. It was a write up about a story from a TV show that was done years ago, and in the TV show which has a little twist. It's about a man who is a gambler and he goes to heaven. In his diety of heaven is staying at the Wynn Hotel in the Presidential Suite, right or the Encore, the Presidential Suite, and he wakes up in heaven. He wakes up at the top of the encore and he opens his closet. There's all these suits and outfits, and he opens the drawers and there's cash, and there's jewelry and watches and all these things. And he goes downstairs and every woman notices him, and he goes and he's blackjack. You win twenty one, you win, you win, you know, And all of a sudden he's playing craps. You win, you win, you win, and he's like lit up like a Christmas tree. And he goes home that night with more than one person and he thinks it's the greatest experience of his life. And he wakes up the next day and does the whole thing again, and the next day and does the whole thing again. The next day, does the whole thing again. After threehe this he's sitting at the table, he's playing blackjack, and goes twenty one. You win, He goes, of course they win. I always win. He's getting angry. He goes, there's something wrong here. He goes, I want to speak to the head angel. There's something wrong here. And so the head angel comes over. He looks like gy Lombardi in this tuxedo and says, can I help you, sir? He says yes, He goes, I win every single time. He goes, there's a mistake here. I don't belong in heaven. I'm not the kind of guy that should be in heaven. And the angel looks at him and said, who said you're in heaven? If we always got everything we wanted, if time was unlimited, would you value life as much? So I'm here to make sure we make every moment matter with meaning and with love. It's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I love that story, Love that story.
Speaker 2: And I mean, you've dedicated so much to this and you keep doing it. Time to Rise Summit. Time to Rise is coming up at the end of this month. Yes, and it's another opportunity for people to get better at making decisions, to decide, to commit to act, to resolve, to have that energy. Everything we've been talking about today.
Speaker 1: Plus there's something about the calendar. That's so funny. It's totally arbitrary. But in New Year is like a new life. It's like a fresh start, and we all need a fresh start. But the problem is most people set a bunch of New Year's resolutions and you know, ninety percent they don't fall through on them. So this is about, hey, let's figure out what you really want, what's getting the way, what's the plan. It's only three hours a day, so think of it like a great movie, only you're in it and you're actually changing your life three days in a row. So it's January twenty nine through the thirty first, and you can go. You can attend from anywhere on Earth. We had one point three million people last year, ten from one hundred and ninety three countries, every country on Earth that exists at least that the UN recognizes. And it's an experience I probaished, we'll forget. Plus there's a community of people and there's zero charge. It's not like partial pay or there's zero charge. Once a year. I do this just to give back to people all over the Earth, and it's really really dynamic, and people create incredible changes and they share them with the community on Facebook. I look forward to it every year, so I hope people will join us. And then the other thing, I hope you'll join me for that because it's an immersion and it's the beginning of the year and you set yourself up to win and meet some great people. But then also I've actually now created with partnership with Paramount, where I'm doing the Tony Robins Network, which we've just launched, and it will be all over the world. They're going to actually translate it in every language. We'll I've use AI, so I'll be speaking with my own voice in there. It's amazing technology we have today, but it's literally twenty four to seven channel of nothing. But we've got, you know, dozens of programs we develop on how to improve your body, your emotions, your relationships, your finances, and there's no charge for it at all, so anybody can dip in and have an experience there as well.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I Mean, what I love about Time to Rise is that that few days, those two to three vers that people will spend with you, it will create a shift. There's no quest because we all need those moments where we just immerse where we get absorbed, we get focused because some of us maybe we'll do ten minutes of thinking about our life here and thirty minutes over there, and maybe you'll spend an hour if you're lucky. But to have three days of three hours each, yes, it's colossal. What could happen in your life?
Speaker 1: And I really believe in immersion. The reason I do live events and they're usually twelve hours a day to give you an idea, and people won't set for a three hour movie. You We'll go twelve hours and say the greatest experience in my life is immersion is the way to learn. Like if you're going to learn a language, and you learn a little bit at a time, most people have learned in high school, college, they don't speak the language years later. But if I dropped you in Rome for ninety days with no teacher and I pick you up, you're going to be speaking because you're seeing it, feeling, experiencing it. So three hours isn't quite that level immersion, but it's enough to really create momentum, make some real choices, and really change your life for the better. And it being my privilege to serve anyone who wants to join us and again, there's no charge for it.
Speaker 2: Last question, Tony before we end you you mentioned there that and you've talked about in your seminars. I've seen you talk about it, your relationship with God the universe. Yes, And I wanted to ask you about that because I think we often refer to a relationship with God a relationship with the universe. What does a relationship with God and the universe look like? How does one nurture that?
Speaker 1: Does that? More of what it feels like to me than what it looks like. It feels like I feel like I've been guided in my life because I've asked for guidance, and I believe I've been created. I think we're all created for different purposes. And my own personal belief, which may be wrong, is that I'm here to make things better. I mean, I wear the facility baseball caps all the time just for fun. But if you read them on the side, it says be a blessing and you'll be blessed is what it says underneath. And that's my whole philosophy of life. Be a blessing. And I think I know one of my sons, Josh, I remember when he became a Christian of a Christian faith personally, but I'm quite broad in my approach. I'm not restrictive of my thinking, and I don't believe VeryE should be what I believe to believe. In other words, if you have a spiritual belief, I help you follow it, because whatever it is, if you don't follow it, you're probably not gonna be happy. And I'm not a proselytator of people to have to be or think a certain way. But I remember my son. He became Christian, and when people, you know, find God in whatever way they find it, they often think no one else has that it's only their way, you know. And he became very, very rules driven about this is how it is and that's how it is. I was quite concerned, but rather than trying to push him to be a certain way, I told my wife Sage. I said, honey, we were in Fiji, and I said, you know, I've got a few days. I said, I'm going to go on a fast for the next four days, maybe five, four or five days, just drink juice, and I'm gonna read the whole Bible from cover to cover. And I said, because I've never read it that way, I've never done total immersion like I talked about. And I read the whole Bible and literally about eighteen hours a day, and I was struck at the end by an overall pattern. So I went to my son. He's been very devout and very right, wrong, good, bad, And anytime you make things extreme, I think it creates problems, right, And I didn't try and make them wrong in the way. And I said, God's this, and God means ass and this, this is what Christ did and this is how it is. And I said, okay, Josh, I said, just I have one question for you. I said, I just read the entire Bible from cover to cover, and his jaw dropped open. I said, I'm dead serious, and sages of the major goes he did it. I said, one thing that comes out of me. I read the Old Testament and God seems like a selfish bastard who's mean and vindictive. And I read the New Testament and God seems incredibly loving and supportive of all. So I said, if that's true, does God grow? And there's this long pause. He felt like he was being trapped, you know, like you're trying to trap me. And I said, I'm not trying to trap you. I'm asking an honest question. I mean, everything universe either grows or dies. So does God grow? If the Bible is a real reflection of God. And there are many other books that are reflection of being inspired by the divine, but let's say that's the book. Does God grow? Because it sure looks like it in the book, you know, and if that's true. Only the reason I'm bringing that up is, I know what you're fearing is that you can't have absolute certainty about how things are, which is what everybody wants, but you could have faith. And I said, he goes, well, God knows everything. God knows what you're gonna do before you're can do how it's going to be. And he gave me this rattle and I said, okay, I believe all that, But the question is does God grow? And he couldn't give me an answer either way because he felt like he was being trapped in it. But eventually he loosened up and I could say today is much more balanced, you know, in that Area's not trying to make everybody else believe that he believes. But I think I think the universe grows. I think God grows and I think it's our job to grow. And I think that when I look at the spiritual side of life, the relationship I have is one that's more emotional than visual. I feel like when I get up to serve, God comes through me. When God when I stand When someone stands up and I say, it's a date with destiny, You've been a date with destiny. You never know who's gonna stand up. They could say, you know, I'm suicidal, or they could say, you know, I'm considered killing myself and my five kids. I mean, I've had that come up. I could say I've made four hudred million dollars and I'm depressed, and people want to slap them because you never know what somebody's gonna say. But the minute they stand up inside me, it's already done. Not because I'm so smart, because I know they stood up in this moment. I believe because this is all by design and the right answers will come through me, and they do. I mean, I've never lost the suicide Knock on wood in you know, forty eight years, and you know, I'm sure people have seen. Some people may have seen I'm not your Guru on Netflix. It's a piece, but you see it in You see people six years later, like the woman that was there, that was suicidal, that was in that cult where they made you have sex with the adults, and she's got out. She's now a psychologist. She's rescued all these other kids. She doesn't have an ounce of depression or suicidal thoughts. You know, Stanford did a study that shows that. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the spiritual side of life is critical. But when I said to my son, is this, I said, I want everyone's relationship to be God if I had a choice, which I don't. But if I had a choice, it should be as unique as your signature. Why should everybody copying everybody else. You should have an individual relationship with God. So I said, I really appreciate if you read the Bible, or you read any great spiritual book a personal Christian. But read any of them and let God speak to you. Don't just take it from another man or woman standing on a stage telling you what to believe. I would help believe my events. I'm not here to tell you how to be. Who the hell would I be to do that. I'm not sharing with you insights and tools and strategies that can help you guide yourself to whoever you want to be, and hopefully to ask you who do you want to be in this lifetime? Because in the end, what you get is not going to make you happy. Who are you going to become that's going to make you happy or sad? So I think it's an individual decision, and I think it evolves for people over time. But I think it's one of the most important things because for those who believe there's nothing, you know, nihilistic but this moment or this body, I think that's a big mistake. It's like saying Whibster's Dictionary as results of an explosion a print factory, it all came together perfectly in balance. I just don't buy that, even logically. And I think you're missing out on life if you don't think there's something more than you and also something more to serve than you. And that gives me personally a great sense of meaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tony, thank you for your work, your tools, your insights, your life.
Speaker 3: Appreciate service. Thank you for your time and energy today.
Speaker 1: Thank you for all that you do. I appreciate it so much.
Speaker 3: I'm so grateful. For our friendship. Honestly, it's been true.
Speaker 2: It's been a real gift, and I want to push people to Time to Rise Summit dot com. Time to Rise Summit dot com. That's where you can subscribe. Remember you can sign up for absolutely free to join the Time to Rise Summit. Can be a part of it. With all of the seminars, the insights, three hours a day. It's very rare that we get to do a podcast and I get to direct you to something which will exactly solve what we've been talking about today. We get to do that, get to give you this summit as a gift. It's absolutely free that Tony's doing with him and his friends Time to risesummit dot com. Please go do yourself a favor. It's a gift, it's free. Start your year off right, get into that great season in the first quarter of this year, and remember I'm forever in your corner and always rooting for you.
Speaker 1: Tony.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Thank you, Brodie, Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to this conversation. If you enjoyed it, you'll love my chat with Adam Grant on why discomfort is the key to growth and the strategies for unlocking your hidden potential. If you know you want to be more and achieve more this year, go check it out right now.
Speaker 1: You set a goal today, you achieve it in six months, and then by the time it happens, it's almost a relief. There's no sense of meaning and purpose. You sort of expected it, and you would have been disappointed if it didn't happen.