Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Good morning to you Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio, Dan Buyer's Longside. I'm Doug Gottlieb my Man, Jason Stewart and the ones and as the producer, and we are coming to your live from the tyraq dot com studios, the official tire experts and retail of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tyrack dot com slash Dan try the Hire Decision Guy to see a full line of Ferrelli Tires special offers, free road hazard protection and mobile tire in solution. Tyrat dot COM's the way tire buying should be so Jampack. Third hour of the show. Okay, we want to talk a little Lebron and something Lebron said yesterday post practice. Our guy, Jake the Snake Plumber is going to join us Arizona State's can play tomorrow. Last time I think most of you thought about Arizona State football was when Jake the Snake was the quarterback in the Rose Bowl for Arizona State. We also need to talk about last night's Lions Niners game. Rock Perdy Injures' elbow and of course the Lions win, but did they need to play all their guys. Was that the smart decision? It was like kind of uh, classic Dan Campbell, but classic Dan Campbell seems they have gotten them beat at times, So we got to get into that. Plus college ball playoff. We mentioned Jake the Snake like I want to get into Lebron in the second, Dan, But I was thinking of this last week with the blowouts in the College wall Playoff, and like, look, I understand the seating the teams. Come on Man, Indiana and SMU. What are we doing? I mean, it's just and Boise State is a three seed? Like what are we actually doing? These are none of these things make actual sense. No one who has any sort of thought and reasonable knowledge of college football thought those were the best teams and in that in that order. They just didn't. Okay, just didn't. Like even the most ardent Boise State fan like, do you really think you're the third best team in the country? Like, no, you know you're not picking them to win the national title. They're not the third best team in the country. So what are we doing? Regardless of it, we have later whole lives for a college football playoff, right, Dan? I mean, like we I'm not saying that we can't complain a little, but we have to have the perspective of eventually this will settle, it'll work it out, it'll be a little bit more ech. It's probably too equitable here, too fair this year. It's probably the biggest problem, but it's at least better than what we had.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, I agree, And I would also say I found it surprising and almost laughable when I have heard comments over the last week or two of how the Bowls season just isn't as good anymore. And Doug, you know this. I've worked with you for almost eight years. I was one of the last hanger ons two of the Rose Bowl, and there have been there are others like me, but it is there's no more. There's no more Pac twelve to pit against the Big ten anymore. So it's completely over. But you told me once, hey, that Rose Bull has been over for a decade. Like it's it's not the same as we knew it. That's fair. I had that nostalgia to it. But these other games, yeah, they don't mean matter. But guess what we have. We'll have eleven games that actually really do matter as opposed to the three that we've basically had over the last decade, and then prior to that, maybe just the one because the other ones. Yeah, maybe it was need to be the Rose Bull CHAMPI but it was the national championship game that meant the most. This is eleven games in December and January that we care about in college football, and I don't think that we've had that before.
Speaker 2: That that honestly, that's absolutely fair. I the the bowl season I miss is the believer. I didn't like how we decided a national championship, Like I think had they done the plus one way back when, like that would have been incredible, just the old bowl season and then just like hey, let's pick the two best teams and they play, you know, in the plus in a plus one game, that would have been incredible because it would have kept all the same bowl ties together and made all those games matter. And now these are the only games that matter. So I do actually miss the old, old, old old bowl season, right, I'm talking pre BCS. You know when you had you'd have the Orange Bowl. Remember they had the Orange Bowl parade? Like what was that? That was? Like the originele was like, hey, we have a parade too, Like just let the Rose bull do their thing. They've been doing it for one hundred years. But and and look, if we're honest, no one has lucked out more than the Rose Bowl this year. And talk about the luckiest of all lucky because of where it falls on the calendar. They have it on January first, and because of happenstance, you know, you have Big ten versus Pac ten like it just they just luck out into it and you have Honestly, the premiere game is at the Rose Bowl. So it's kind of crazy how I declared the Rose Bowl dead and it is dead, it has been dead, but it's kind of of it's slightly alive. You know, it's mostly dead to steal from the Prince's bride, which means slightly alive. I'm not sure if they were blaving or bluffing or what they were actually Well.
Speaker 3: This it's also because it's Oregon, because it's Ohio State. It would have been different if it was Michigan Ohio State, or Michigan against Penn State or Ohio State against Wisconsin, like it would have been. That is like a big true Big ten versus Big ten. But like even though Oregon is in the Big Ten, we still can think of them as old PAC twelve PAC ten, and so it also kind of fits that narrative, even though they're conference rivals and have already played this year.
Speaker 2: Let's let's get to let's get to what Lebron James said. So the Lakers make a trade two days ago. In all the days when you get holidays in the middle of a week like last week and then this week like today's Tuesday, I only know that because there's Monday night football last night. It's literally the only reason I know today was what.
Speaker 3: Was today on your infamous December calendar?
Speaker 2: Do we know another for day? That's that's that's what it is. Oh man, one of those tweets are you like, hey, what's funny at the time? And uh and people wanted to go like, oh god, like not working in December.
Speaker 4: But the good thing is that internet forgets quick.
Speaker 2: They yeah, nobody, nobody is you're not allowed to have a sense of humor.
Speaker 5: Uh so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, but yeah, Lebron talked about how long he wants to play or how long he can play.
Speaker 1: What will it be that that how was you tonight?
Speaker 6: It won't be because I can't play the Dame at a high level. Because to be honest, if I really wanted to have probably played a game at a high level about another four.
Speaker 3: Weird that I might say, how about another five or seven years? About one foot?
Speaker 6: But I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 6: You to walk away and with it?
Speaker 5: Of course I know?
Speaker 6: Ye what yeah, I mean Jordan did it?
Speaker 3: Oh I come back?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no I'm not. But I will missed the hell out for sure.
Speaker 6: But no, I won't walk away way to come back.
Speaker 2: He also said he thinks he's the greatest player of all time. Right, Uh, he could play this game for other five to seven years at a high level. Dan, what's your takeaway?
Speaker 3: It's funny because yesterday is a historic day in sports. It's one of those unique days on your calendar. It's your destroy your body with food and alcohol. Yesterday was, But it was also the day that Lebron James turned forty, which is why he was asked those questions. And it's also Tiger Wood's birthday was yesterday, he turned four nine. And I feel that there is such a comparison between the two is they're linked not only for their birthdays but because of their greatness. And what's trying to be the longevity of Tiger despite a litany of injuries and issues, something that Lebron hasn't faced. And what's interesting there is he says, yeah, I could play another five or seven seasons, but he's saying that he won't step away because it's not because he can't place. He's telling you that he can play, but he's not playing Doug right now as a championship contender player. And I think that there's a huge difference in that. And because right now, if maybe the Lakers are, maybe the Lakers aren't, I don't think that they are right now in my eyes as a championship contender. Some may differ, but anything that Lebron does continuing later on in life feels like it's stat padding if he would want to. There's also just the fact of, hey, I could do this, but I'm just gonna step away just so you know. I could PlayN till I'm forty five. Tom Brady, whose birthday, by the way, was not yesterday, It's in August, I believe. But Tom Brady played up until he couldn't do it anymore. Didn't stop because hey, I'm not winning champions or that Tom Brady was always playing for championships, is my point, And that's just what I wonder with Lebron, and I feel that there's such an interesting comparison when you consider that he and Tiger share birthdays, that that's all that Tiger is doing. Tiger's only trying to play championships. In fact, he's only trying to win championships. And while an NBA championship and golf are different because there's four majors out of the year. It's just it's striking to me to hear Lebron want to brag about how I could play until my you know, mid forties. But yeah, that doesn't mean that you're would be a contender for an NBA championship. Almost feel it's the exact op deposite of like the motivation that Tiger Woods has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, there's a certain matter of facts of which he says it, which it's it is kind of hard to argue because he does do amazing things, he's not actually playing at that high a level because he only plays one end of the court, right, I mean, like that just he just does he doesn't. He doesn't, He's not. He's a minus defensively, now as opposed to he always used to be a plus defensively, and I don't think he's fooling anybody in that way. And look what he's doing at forty is remarkable, is remarkable. He's an unbelievable player. My first thing is when I woke up and I saw the I think of myself as the greatest players has ever played. Like I honestly think that Larry Bird thinks that in the morning, Mike Magic Johnson thinks that in the morning. Kobe, like Kobe Bryant absolutely thought that every morning when he woke up. Michael Jordan, no question, thinks that. I'm not going to hold that against Lebron for thinking it when enough people in the world say it, you're you're allowed to say it in the thinking or whatever. But and the I could play for five to seven more years. I also think a lot of those guys thought, if my body didn't let me down, I could do it. I could do it. And his body, though it's let him down some Right now, it feels feels pretty good. But again it also always comes with the Lebron grain of salt, which is like he he just wants to create a narrative and it works with people who are Lebron people. It just does. And I, you know, I it's the only thing. It's the These aren't the doys you're looking for sure. And if you if you were a Lebron guy, you woke up today and you heard those comments, you're like, oh, yeah, he can. And if you're not, you're like, what are we doing here? Like, he's not competing for championships in LA. They're not closer to winning a championship now than they ever were previously, So what is what is a high level? And then if you're like, uh where you feel like you're kind of in the middle and you don't care, You're you're like, energy doesn't go one way or the other. You go what he's doing is incredible forty years old, thirty five years old, It doesn't matter. He's amazing. Is he really championship level? Good?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: But is it way better than ninety percent of you think of the NBA or eighty percent of the NBA?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is incredible forty years old. Like I said, incredible thirty five years old. That's just a reality to it. Can he really do it five to seven years now? The body's gonna break down. Is it broken down for most of the past his tenure with the Lakers. That's kind of the reality to it. It's like here you can tell us, hey, I'm playing a high level, but like, how many years do we have to go through where you get hurt, it gets worse, doesn't get better with age. So I just think this is narrative building and it's classical classic Lebron.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't want to take anything away from him. I think that's fair to your you know, to your point, there aren't other NBA players that are that are doing this or doing this at the age of so the fact that he is doing this, I maybe should show a little bit more appreciation for it. But it's just the fact of when you have these birthdays coincide, and when Tiger Woods goes and tease it up and he makes the cut but finishes tied for fifty first in a major, where like a geez, you know, like and there are some people that don't think that Tiger will ever win another major, me like the rose Ball. I'm still holding out hope for one more, although it's very likely twenty nineteen and the Masters will be his Jack Nicholas of eighty six. But if Phil Micholson one one at fifty, maybe there's some magic Tiger can can get through. But Tiger's setting up his whole schedule so he can play in those majors and compete in those majors, not just to make the cut, but try to win. And I just feel like it's such an interesting and different sort of look when you have the two guys just on what a special date December thirtieth is. And Mike Carmon pointed out to me last night, Sandy Kofax born on December thirtieth as well, So talk about a greatness.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty good day. I'm born the same day as Matt Holliday and Martin Luther King, So I mean again, yeah, I don't think I measure up to those guys, but those of January fifteenth is a pretty solid day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I Look. The thing about Lebron that I respect is no human being has ever taken care of their body better than Lebron. Are the other guys that have been fanatics about it, like, he's clearly taking care of his body to where he is. He is dedicated to his craft, He's playing a super high level. The one disingenuous part I've never liked, and he's done it for a long time is instead of dialing back the minutes, you know where it's like, hey, you could play more nights, more people could see you play, he does the not play, which I believe you only do that because you're trying to save your average, trying to save your average, Whereas if you only play twenty in a night, you're unna scored ten, twelve points whatever, and you know you could play more often that way and play eighty two that way. You know, he didn't play. He didn't play in the twenty eighth when they when they beat Sacramento, you know he went. He kind of disappeared for a couple of days. And again I don't mind. You're forty years old, you play a long time, you want to take nights off, like if that's the deal you have with your team, with your organization. But I think the logic behind it is some of its rest but a lot of it is instead of playing less minutes more often, which is something you could do, instead, they're doing don't play in certain games. And that's pretty clearly since he already has the all time scoring mark. This keeps his average higher. That makes sense to people. So Doug got the Dan byer in for Dan. The dan Nettes they said, wait a minute, they said, what okay. So what we've been doing all show long is cataloging some of the great soundbites from the year, which what month is this from Jay.
Speaker 4: Stew Thank you, Doug. I'll take it from here. There were a lot of winners at the Olympic Games, and Dan is going to present a lot of those winners in the game show at the end of the show. I think a guy ran really fasted track. I think Simone Biles won a gold medal if I'm not mistaken Steph Curry. Those were moments, But I think the person that really won the Olympics was ray Gun, the breakdancer out of Australia. It became an amazing meme fest. She takes her skill in craft very seriously. Nobody else does and she never quite figured out why everyone was laughing at her. And she took to social media shortly after the games.
Speaker 8: It was really sad how much height that it did of arc and a lot of the responses though, is also just due to people not being very familiar with breaking and the diversity of approaches in breaking, and it was so fantastic that the next day the judging chair MG came out and explained that, you know, in the breaking community, what I did actually wasn't very shocking, but of course there's been a portion of very angry and you know, awful responses. The energy and vitriol that people had was pretty alarming.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, she's She basically said, you guys don't know, that's next level stuff. That's next level. You don't even even know, you don't know what you're looking at.
Speaker 3: And if you don't believe me, the judge even came out and said, so so in your face, oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, she's Alzheimer. Alzheimer again. It's it's a little bit like the Lebron thing, Like Lebron is actually incredibly accomplished, right, Has Has Has can make an argument in any argument about being the greatest player of all time, So of course he thinks that, right, here's somebody who made the Olympics in a sport that's not even a sport, right, and became kind of the laughingstock of the Olympics. And of course in her mind, she's like, yeah, I'm great everybody, because that's what everybody tells you, right, everybody tells you're great. That's and then behind your back they can crush you. That's that's how the world works.
Speaker 4: And she never she never leaned into it, like literally, she could have marketed it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how good would that have been?
Speaker 4: Right, we had a Super Bowl commercial? What was William hung from American Idol? He kind of leaned into it after a while.
Speaker 2: Deshan Foster, we talked, We talked about it to start the show, right, Deshaun Foster coach at UCLA, you know where UCLA were in La. Right, they even made a T shirt out of it. Lean into it, absolutely, I think absolutely.
Speaker 3: There's the first of all she started to talk and I'm like, how can you how can you hate in Australian And then she said more and more it's not that I hate her, but you're like, oh, yeah, this is why. But I also loved the videos that came out later of the people that she beat, because otherwise we would have just thought, man, they really can't break dance in Australia, like if she was the best, and then we realized it was all rigged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's totally rigged. What a story it was. It's really amazing. And but you're I think that's the marketing genius behind you j Su. Right, it's like lean into that and instead she played the victim card. Everybody's just so mean. Yeah, no, you were bad. No, the judge said I was good. The judge said it was next level. Actually the judge said it wasn't surprising, which is like, what does that even mean? It wasn't that surprising that you stunk? I don't. That is a great piece of sound from August. Good stuff, Jase too. I'm Doug Gollaby's Dan Byron for Dan the Danette to you and The Dan Patrick Show. What does a former college football great think of the new collegeball playoff l And if you haven't heard the name Scatterbo, you will after tomorrow afternoon. Jake Plumber Jake the Snake joins us next on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships.
Speaker 4: What's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, shop it up.
Speaker 4: As they say, i'd.
Speaker 10: Say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlieb, Dan Byron for Dan Dan that's here on the Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. So Dan, can we quin geek out a little bit here because Jake Plumber is a little bit older than we are, Okay, but like kind of same realm, just about same era, right, ninety six Rose Bowl, like he was nice. Six season yeah, n six season ninety seven rolls. But my bad, you're correct. I think there's a bunch of reasons he's memorable. But the nickname definitely helps, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it works. There's the whole thing. The wrist bands as well, like you were the wristbands I think you wore when it was a kid, these red, white and blue ones. Yeah, there was just there was something. Yeah, there's just something about him. And they won and he was really freaking good.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, really really really really good Jake the Snake Plumber. That was pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: And and also, let's let's be honest, because there was a there was a Rose Bull appearance for Arizona State in the in the eighties, I believe against Michigan State and John Cooper was the head coach, and then Cooper was the head coach at Ohio State when they ended up playing in the game that Plumber played in. But it's not like it was a UCLA USC. I mean Arizona State was you know, you didn't think of Arizona State in the Pac ten at that time. And Washington was good in the early nineties, you know, they were winning national championships and having strong teams, and then here comes Arizona State, and yeah, it was quite a story.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was quite a year because he had Ohio State, Florida and Florida State also competing all for that national championship eventually won by Florida, but because Arizona State lost that Rose Bowl. But yeah, they were a great story. That hold up.
Speaker 2: The other part too, it is he was the quarterback of the team I think two years previously that they won like three games, right, So it wasn't like, you know, it wasn't one of these Arizona State. Arizona State's always been that program that you try and figure out, Like man, hot they got one hundred thousand students, they played in an NFL NFL's stadium, right, and now with so much surrounding talent, not just in southern California, but the city of City of Phoenix has just expanded beyond all get out and now they're you know, now they're back, but let's let's welcome in Jake Plummer. He joins us here on the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Jake, You've accomplished a lot of things in your life. But the Rose Bull jumps out to people like myself and Dan who were all about the same age as your most memorable kind of like, this is who this guy is? What's that like to have a lifetime of accomplishments, And everybody stops you and goes like, hey, man, Rose Bowl ninety seven.
Speaker 5: I was there, man, Yeah, it's special. You know, you don't think about that when you're in it. You know, I didn't really understand the magnitude of the memories we were helping form with people and the moment that we were in. I went to ASU to try to win a national title, as Bruce Snyder was the only coach.
Speaker 7: That said those two words in his recruiting pitch, and we feel like you're an integral piece to this team that we're building that's going to be able to win a national title. And he was the only coach that said that in the country.
Speaker 5: So I went there and sure enough, the work we put in all of the time we been growing together for four years, which is not very common now in this landscape to be a QB on a team for four years. Even a season we had going three and eight my sophomore year, I probably would have transferred if I was playing right now, you know, it might have gone somewhere else. But we didn't have that opportunity. We stuck it out. We had a phenomenal season that ended in a chance to win a national title of the Rose Bowl. And you know, those memories that we formed as a team, the bonds that we created with the coaches and the players, and the memories we helped form for so many people growing up in the valley and even fans of football in general. You know, our team was special, and it wasn't just that we made it to the Rose Bowl. It's how we got there. And me being the quarterback, A large focus is put on me, but I was just a piece of the puzzle. We had some phenomenal guys on that team, some phenomenal football players. Out of that starting twenty two, they were about eighteen of us that spent time in the NFL either practice squad or in camp for a year or two or and many that had long careers, So I was an integral part of that. But man, it was my team. We had a solid, great team, and I'm always representing those guys when I get to come and be around, you know, the football team today and tomorrow and whatever I'm doing, it's always to represent those guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are going to represent them as the honorary captain for ASU and the Peach Bowl tomorrow. But to stay on memory lane, you did play with a lot of you mentioned one, Okay, Keith Poole, remember those guys on offense, obviously Pat Tillman, the late Pat Tillman, on that Rose Bowl team as well. My question to you, Jake is when when did you become nationally known Jake the Snake Plumber? Was what was it the the UCLA game? Was it that season?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: When when did all of a sudden you realize, Okay, this is maybe much bigger than maybe I thought it was. Where was your I don't want to say, what was that moment where all of a sudden you felt like this was different? But was there a moment like that in that ninety six season?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know, we knew we had a pretty good team, and I always remember videos going into the some stores and seeing the college football magazines, and like my junior year, there was a mention of me and then like my senior year there I am and I'm like, whoa wow, fact ten you know this and that. And then when we beat Nebraska, I think that was really launching point for us, as we barely squeaked the win out versus you dub at home to open the season. We won our next game easily, and then Nebraska came to town and they had whooped our ass the year before, you know, seventy five to twenty eight. They took it to us in Lincoln, and so we had a big chip on our shoulder and some revenge to get back, and no one really believed that we could win that game so much so we felt like there were people in in our building with us that didn't quite believe, but the players we did. And that was really a pivotal moment for that whole program and all the work we put forth and the ability to go beat them, not just beat them, but nineteen to zero, to shut out a team that that caliber that ended up finishing sixth in the country that year. You know, that really launched us into the conversation and me being the quarterback. That's when I became you know, I started getting a lot of requests for interviews. You would have to probably talk to Mark Brand or Doug Tamero who were in the Sids working that to know when it really launched out. As far as putting me in the conversation with the Heisman, you know, it wasn't Nebraska. There was a little bit of talk there, just we got ranked high, but probably then you know, the u c L A game going down there and you know, catching a pass for a touchdown, running one in, throwing one in, and then USC coming from behind and triple over time to beat them. You know, we just kept stacking wins, and me being the quarterback, I got the focus. But I'm you know, I was only as good as the guys around me, and we had some amazing players on that team, great coaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Jake Plumber joining us here on the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Of course, ten years in the NFL, drafted by the Arizona Cardinals and as January captain for Arizona State in the Peach Bowl. Really kind of fascinating. What's happened at ASU with this program in terms of the turnaround right where you know, if you go back a year ago, it felt like, oh, you hire a young coach. They did it kind of on the cheap right. They're trying to get out of there at some NCAA violations, some other stuff with the previous coaching staff. Did you think this was possible in this short period of time as an alum, you.
Speaker 5: Know, anything as possible. Did I think that they would be in the college football playoffs? No? I didn't put much thought into that. Did I hope that they would have a competitive team and show me, you know, that it mattered and they cared about each other and they cared about the game and who they were representing and wearing the Sun Devil logo and stepping onto that field. Yes, I hope that they would come out and compete and give me a reason to turn the TV on and watch them, you know. And they've done that.
Speaker 7: They accomplished that, And.
Speaker 5: Kenny has brought a lot of energy. He's one of our own and he grew up in tim Fee. Going to the games wearing my jersey is the story I'm being told, And so this is his dream job and he's putting his whole you know, entire energy and being into this being successful. So I'm not shocked because he's believed this, and he's gotten the players that he's brought in to believe this. And then sure enough, as he keeps speaking that message and they step up and win these games. Low we was. Surely more people in the valley are starting to believe this, and that energy is much more powerful than in doubt and casting you know this team's going to be no good. It's a much more positive, more fun, the more enjoyable energy when there's beliefs that there's something brewing. And he's just been consistent in that message, and the young men have stepped up on the field had won at very oppositive, stunistic times. Thank goodness for Cu and Don and Trime and all that going on, because while that was the cop talk of the Big Twelve, ASU is just quietly winning ball game, going out and winning. And here they are again getting you know, last pick to the last in the Big Twelve. They win the Big Twelve. Here they are, you know, underdogs to Texas. Hey, that's fine. This team has proven and they've gone out and competed, and that's all I'm looking for win or lose. This has been a phenomenal year. It's been a lot of fun to watch. It's been It's been a great run at a very opportunistic time with history being made with the first Todge Football Playoff. Those pitchforks are on the bracket. They're not going away. They're here and I think this team is is gonna seize the moment and I'm I'm proud of them. I'm excited to be here. I'm not involved with the program day in and day out, but I'm always supporting whoever they bring in. And when Kenny came in, I was I was very excited because I saw somebody who cared and he had the energy necessary to put into you know what you need to do the work behind it. He's putting that in and he's he's bringing guys back, he's opened the door for the alumni and he's trying to get that tradition back and got what a great time to do this. And really, this team's exciting to watch as a Sun Devil former Sun Devil. Like I said, I'm proud of them. I win or lose. It's been a phenomenal year, but I see them going and continue to surprise people.
Speaker 3: Do you think that your participation would change, because let's not be naive, like, over the next couple of years, Kenny Dillingham's name is going to be popping up and every sort of vacancy that comes across college football, like, do you do you see that changing? Do you see your role changing because of nil and other things with the university or how will you you know, move forward with university in those sort of aspects.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean this is a new era and landscape that we're going to all navigate together. You know, players are going to move and jump ship and go to other teams, and you know, I'm shocked to hear, you know, quarterback that starts to go house State transfers when they go nine and two, and it's like, wait, wait, wait, aren't you trying to build something here? And so who knows? The future is something that we all want to try to predict and have an understanding of, but you never know. I think that Kenny has has landed his dream job from what he's told me and what I hear the message coming. So I don't feel like he would he would leave in the midst of building something that he's had in his sight since he was a kid. I don't see him leaving. Obviously, things can change. Will the fans accept them having a subpar year next year or two years down the road as they maybe have to rebuild a little bit, or they lose a specific player that was very instrumental to this success. I don't know how this is going to go, but right now is what matters, and the fact that they're here, they're playing for a national championship, they're in the conversation, and he has come in with the energy and the message, and he's brought the right mix of players in through the portal to make something happen right now that's going to be remembered forever. That's what I care about. We'll cover across that bridge when we get there. As far as will he be here for a long time, I think you will. I feel like Kenny wants to coach here for twenty five thirty years, And wouldn't that be awesome? Wouldn't that be great to see that happen, to build a program and to have a solid figure there that's there, and it's coaching, coaching and building something that that that that will make so many great memories. I hope that's what happens, but well, we'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 2: Find me another camp scattabo from FBS. Find me another one of the find me one another those and I'll definitely definitely stay around. Jake's man, Yeah, hey, hey man, really appreciate you joining us. Uh, excited to see what what? And and Doug Tamrell reference always always does well by me, Thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 7: Awesome guys.
Speaker 5: They have a happy New Year and go devils.
Speaker 2: All right, that's forks up for Jake Plumber. Uh, let's get let's get another they said, what from twenty twenty four? Wait? What's this one there? Case?
Speaker 4: Do I think this sums up what Caleb Williams when you got to the NFL and this is the brand new punter for the Bears. I think this is from Hard Knocks and he tells a story about how Cale Williams reached out to him on his first day drafted in the fullth round.
Speaker 2: I saw a couple of text messages and I saw he said, oh, hey, hey, it's Caleb and he said, oh, you're not going to be puny mach.
Speaker 5: I thought, well, that's absolutely fun with me.
Speaker 4: I think he's second in the NFL. And punts. He had like ten puns in the first half on Sunday.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, and then there was a different type of breakdancing.
Speaker 2: I'll just say this, okay, and I've said this before. I was the coach of a team that's that's that's struggling with a losing streak. And I'll say it forever. Sports will humble humble you, and you you just it's it's how you deal with it. It's it. It humbles, it humbles you really, really really quickly. That's a That's a great one. That's a great one.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Coming up next on the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Hey, we'll get back to our year in review game. We got stumped once we got to tennis and golf. What about the individual awards of the year? How many can we name off the top of our heads? Find out next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Happy do you t It's Dan Patrick's show Fox Sports Radio. I'm Doug Gottlieb Dan Byer Jason Stewart alongside. So we have the Doug Gottlieb Show. It airs daily on Fox Sports Radio iHeartRadio app. You can download the podcast as well. And what we do we do at the end of the first hour is we call it game time and Dan creates some game, usually top something topical. In this case, we've played the end of year game where Dan And for people who don't listen to our show, okay, Dan is literally encyclopedia on everything, anything that's ever happened or will happen. It's a little freaky, and so he's basically quizzing us on answers. I'm sure he knows, and we can only know if we look up or if we kind of search search for a name. So, so, Dan, where were we on this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we are two thirds of the way through. We still need some help from golf. Someone tweeted in providing help on the tennis question and it was AOC's burner account on Twitter. So nice that AOC was able to tweet in. Johannick Sinner was the winner of the Australian Open and US Open.
Speaker 2: So thanks, I've actually never heard that name before, mate. Yes, I'm just I'm not gonna. I don't know if I was off when when that happened. I don't know. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: Still looking for the final three majors of the golf season. If you wanted to mark those off and the Premier League and Champions League, well you guys, says Ander Shaftley.
Speaker 2: At at some point I did, I said Shoffley. I said Shoffley one, one or two and Bryson Shambeau one.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, So Shaffley won two. He won the PGA Championship and Open Championship. Bryson won the US Open at Pinehurst.
Speaker 4: Manchester United. Did they win Premiere.
Speaker 3: You're warm, but yeah, but you're not, but not not them.
Speaker 4: Did Vega anything?
Speaker 3: Uh no, no, Johnny Vegas, No Liverpool on the Premier League. We're also, by the way, looking for the most gold gold medals won in the Olympics by a country this past year. That's US. It was US, and there was another one that is correct, Yes, the United States and China side the forty gold medals to the according to the medal count that I looked at the NFL MVP. We're looking for that answer. We haven't gotten. We haven't gone to.
Speaker 2: That last last year's MVP, right, yep.
Speaker 3: Last year's yep. Lamar Jackson Jason said, NBA MVP, who was it in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: That was well embiid No, No, that was yo kitchen.
Speaker 3: It was the kitchen.
Speaker 4: Yes, so he got what he deserved.
Speaker 2: He should have gotten the year before, and then he won a championship and they gave it to him last year and they maybe maybe you shouldn't even gotten it last year.
Speaker 3: W NBA MVP. That is correct, That is correct, thanks to Chris no longer in Saint Pete, even though it's Chris in Saint Pete. He gave you NC State for the final women's final four team. Yes, that is correct, so that is off the board. And Philip Rivers played there? What about the American League? That is true? What about the American League? Most Valuable Play?
Speaker 4: I got this one and I'm gonna my favorite meme that I saw over the weekend, and this is great and because that it pertains to today, Aaron Judge has a meme that he's not going to miss the dropping of the ball tonight. He's not the ball tonight.
Speaker 2: Good n L N L m v P.
Speaker 3: How's good Trophy winner.
Speaker 2: Travis Hunter?
Speaker 3: It was Travis Hunter of Colorado. Yes, just a couple of weeks back, and now we get into auto racing. So soccer and auto racing your blind.
Speaker 2: Spots, blind spots. I mean it just it just fit blind me if I was born blind, because I just.
Speaker 3: NASCAR Cup Series. You guys want to take a guess. Joey, that is correct.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 3: On a left field entire cups. You are Jason, that is truly. Jason is shocked by his his response.
Speaker 2: So Sidney Crosby would be my answer for anything, right, because I remember those guys from They're like the youngest guys in the sports. So we'll just kind of go with them.
Speaker 3: Daytona five hundred F one in the Indy five hundred, So it would be the season long and the F one and then who won the Daytona five hundred and who won the Indy five hundred. Brothers, No, that did not happen.
Speaker 2: I do know. It's Max Verstappen is correct?
Speaker 3: Is all right?
Speaker 2: Red Bull team?
Speaker 3: So the final the final two Daytona five hundred and Indy five hundred, and you got to get the Premier League and the UEFA Champions League. I'm going to just tell you this. You said Man United Manchester City won the Premier League.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, last, like the hatfields you named the McCoy's. That's what you did.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Real Madrid tom Borish Dortmund to Nill in the Champions League finals. So Real Madrid the winner of that, and then the checkered flag to end this segment. William Byron won the Daytona five hundred, and for the second straight year, Joseph Newgarden won the Indianapolis five hundred. He went back to back New Garden, New Garden.
Speaker 2: New Garden. Yeah, I have a new Garden coming in the spring. Okay, guys, real quick. Boise is an eleven point dog tonight fifty four and a half is the total? Dan Biro, what do you like?
Speaker 3: I like the under because of Penn State's defense. I'm gonna take the under in Boise State.
Speaker 2: I like the exact same thing. What about you there, Jayce dou.
Speaker 4: I think the Broncos will run faster than the Lions. They'll outrun him.
Speaker 2: Have a happy New Year. You have exactly zero excuses zero for drinking and driving tonight. Okay, we all know Amateur Hour is around midnight on New Year's Eve. Don't be an amateur, uber lyft, or just don't go out. Okay, have a happy and safe New Year for Dan Byer, Jason Stewart. I'm Doug Gottlieb. This is Fox Sports Radio.