Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one sixty seven, What's right with Nick Wright? I am flying solo today and next week Do your Will also be out, but my wife will be in for her next week. Do your Will then be back in a week and a half. But today it is just me and we have some breaking news via a flame throwing interview from Sean Payton to get to Aaron Rodgers taking a pay cut. All of that, plus we have talked you about Jalen Brown and Justin Herbert's big new money extensions. But first, what we're not getting into NFL preseason amazingly just one week away last night, the US women's national team got a hard fought draw with the Netherlands. Not ideal, and I lose my wager that I got really good odds. But I bet the US women's national team to run the table to go undefeated in the tournament. Obviously, to win the tournament they have to go undefeat in the knockout stage, but it also meant they had to go three to zero in the group stage. They will not with the tie against Netherlands, but they should be fine. And Burrow confident that Cincinnati keeps everyone. They won't t Higgins. This will be his last year on the team, but hey, you go win the Super Bowl this year and your fun and it's worth it. You don't win the Super Bowl this year, you're gonna wish you had traded them for a first round pick, as you could of this offseason. But the latest news in the NFL is the are we you know what? I screwed this up? Possibly? I thought we were gonna start with the Aaron Rodgers news. We will get to the Aaron Rodgers news in just a moment. We will start with the Justin Herbert news. My apologies there on the Aaron Rodgers thing. I teased it, and we're not starting with it, but we will get to it. Justin Herbert is the new highest paid player in the NFL five years, two hundred and sixty two point five million dollars. And there is some pushback because he is getting this money before having ever won a playoff game, and I understand that, but they also had to pay him. So here's the thing. All of the other quarterbacks who have gotten huge money deals right after the rookie deal under the new Twist salary structure, all of those guys had won a playoff game except for Kyler, and I think they're gonna regret that and Carson Wentz. But Wentz was in a unique spot because he had played well enough to where his team was positioned for the number one seed. They then ended up winning the Super Bowl. He obviously wasn't playing because he was hurt. But Wentz also that deal didn't work out. But Deshaun Lamar held, Daniel Jones obviously, Mahomes, Jared Goff had been to a Super Bowl. Go up and down the list. Joe Burrow had been to a Super Bowl. He hasn't gotten his money yet, but he's about to to a not won a playoff game, he didn't get the big money deal. Now, Justin Herbert is an objectively excellent player, but there is still the yeah but of We've seen him play in one playoff game and one de facto playoff game, and he wasn't great in either spot. The playoff game, when the Chargers had a chance to win the game outright, essentially to go up by five scores at the end of the first half against the Jags, he missed a couple of big throws. He then wasn't great in the second half and they blow a twenty seven point lead. The de facto playoff game was Week eighteen of the year before, and that was when they were playing the Raiders and the famous if there's a tie, they both go to the playoffs. Now, if you watched that game, the last half of the fourth quarter he played perfect football, but the time leading up to that he struggled mightily, which is why they needed him to played great in the latter half of the fourth quarter. Then they end up losing in overtime. This is a deal the Chargers had to do. It's undeniable. But now Justin Herbert, who was so great as a rookie and really sensational in year two two, and then last year took a bit of a step back. You can say it was the injuries on the team. You can say it was the cracked ribs. Whatever it was, took a bit of a step back. It's now not about the cannon of an arm or the raw arm talent or any of that. It is more about the actual are you going to take the next step? Because in the AFC you have these eight quarterbacks that are all vying for the argument of where am I in the hierarchy? So you have and I'm not gonna listen him in order, I'm just gonna go off the top of my head by divisions. You have Allen, Rogers and Tua. In the AFC East, you have Burrow and Lamar, and some people would throw into Shaun Watson. I wouldn't. But in the AFC North you Trevor Lawrence in the AFC South, and then you obviously have Mahomes and Herbert in the AFC West, and again some would throw in Russell Wilson. I won't. That's eight guys, all of which, at various times of their career have looked like great quarterbacks for Tua. It's the smallest sample, but he was playing so great earlier last year before the injuries. You're in a weird spot in the AFC right now where you can be a really good quarterback and average in your conference. So they need Herbert undeniably to take that next step forward. Maybe Kellen Moore. He will do it with Kellen Moore. But this is a massive year for him because after this year, when this contract really starts to kick in, it gets so much harder for them to build a winner, and you're not going to be able to have Mac and Bosa. They just drafted Quentin Johnson number one with their number one pick, which I love that pick for them, but you're not gonna have Mike Williams and Keenan Allen and him long term. So you probably have as much talent around you as you ever will right now if you're the Chargers. So it's a big spot and they're now paying him like he is a top five quarterback in football. He obviously has top five quarterback talent, he has not quite delivered top five quarterback results. We'll see if he does all right next. Sean Payton talked to USA today and absolutely torched, I mean torched the previous regime in Denver. He said, quote, it might have been one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL. I'll read you the full quote. Everybody's got a little stink on their hands. It's not just Russell, who was a poor offensive line might have been one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL. That's how bad it was. He also took a shot at the Jets. I'm gonna read you that quote from the article, where the full quote is. It doesn't happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed. That happened here. Part of it was their own fault relative to spending so much time trying to win the offseason, the pr pomp, circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff. We're not doing any of that. The Jets did that this year. You watch hard Knocks, all of it. I can see it coming. And so he's taken a preemptive shot at the Jets. He took a retroactive shot at Nat Hackett and the entire Broncos coaching staff, all in service of maybe partially his ego, but also in Russell Wilson defense. Guys, I watched every single snap Russell Wilson played last year. I also watched him his last year in Seattle. This was before he got in the NAT hacket business. This was a clearly declining player and last year. There's a great tweet from Warren Sharp today that I don't know if Warren was defending Russ, but Warren puts up the video of how embarrassing it was when the Broncos fans were counting down the play clock for the Broncos so they would stop getting delay of game penalties. And it's a three play cut and this we're I'm actually gonna do something with this on the TV show today to show it to you. But I'll just walk you through it, you know, through my words. Here it's a three play cut of the play clock winding down and you hear the fans in Denver going three two one so they don't get a delay of game. And it does show what a mess the process and the coaching was there. But what if you watch the full forty five second cut, it doesn't end right when the ball is snapped. They show the three plays and they are three cartoonishly awful plays by Russell Wilson after the ball is snapped, And so Sean Payton in this article also says. The article starts with quote, I'm gonna be pissed off if it is not a playoff team. We'll be ready to be pissed off, Sean. And the fact of the matter is, I just listed, when talking about Justin Herbert, eight AFC quarterbacks didn't even I didn't even consider including Russell Wilson in that group. Nine and ten would probably be DeShawn And you would hope Russell Wilson last year he was not one of the top twenty five quarterbacks in football. Will he bounce back a little? Sure? Will he bounce back enough that they are going to be able to overcome the fact that his five year, two hundred and forty five million dollar contract does not even start until next season. No, they will not. And Sean Payton, the level of cock sureness that he is displaying here I think could bite him in a real way. Again, I think he's a very good coach. I also think, you know, I'm seemingly the only person that remembers this or cares about this, But Michael Thomas, remember when Michael Thomas was, you know, one of the best players in the league, set the record for receptions in a season. All of that, and then week one of the following season, the the Saints were playing the Bucks and blowing them out, and Sean Payton wanted to run up the score and with like a minute and a half left near the goal line, had Michael Thomas in the game and he got rolled up on and suffered a high ankle sprain that three years later he has not recovered from. That was Sean Payton's ego getting a little bit of the best of him, and this interview I do not think is gonna do himself any favors. And you never a head coach, certainly an active usually even a retired head coach take shots at another coach this way. So I'm sure the Jets they have set themselves up where the opening month of the season for Denver's nice Vegas, Washington, Miami's tough than Chicago. But now all of a sudden with them taking preemptive shots at the Jets, when their next six games are the Jets, the Chiefs, the Packers, the Chiefs again, Buffalo Minnesota season could go off the rails on them in a real quick hurry before we get to November. And so I'm not a believer in the Broncos. I wasn't a believer in Nat Hackett. I was adamant about that all year last year. But he was not the only problem. All right, Next, so the Celtics have signed Jalen Brown to the biggest contract in NBA history. Our resident Celtics fan Demonse sends in a question from Los Angeles, Demonse, go right ahead, what's up? What's right? Crew, listeners?
Speaker 3: I saw that a couple of Boston Celtics fans did not agree with my take on putting a left handed turnover clause in Jalen Brown's new contract. I'm here to tell you that I one hundred percent stand on that.
Speaker 2: I still think that they should.
Speaker 3: Obviously, something isn't working with this Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown duo. We keep making it so far just to squander it. It hurts me. It's annoying. I'd rather us just be bad and know that we're bad and nothing's to come of it. Then to have these players and we have all the necessary tools to make it to the finals and win a finals. But we just aren't doing it, so I think that something needs to be switched up. My question for my dad and the listeners, do you think that we took a step forward with this Jalen Brown thing or a step backwards? In my opinion, this is a huge step backwards. But let me know what you guys think.
Speaker 2: Be so all right. Thank you to Monse, appreciate the question. Can't wait till you rejoin us on the pod here at the end of August beginning of September. I I disagree with the Monse, but he's not entirely wrong. Here's where I disagree. You had to sign him to this deal. You can't let him become a free agent a year from now and walk for nothing. He is one of the twenty five best players in the sport. Now. Is it an overpay? It is, but it's what it costs to keep him, so you have to sign him to the deal. Do I think the Celtics are gonna win the title this year? I don't. I don't think Kris STAPs is enough of a difference maker. And you don't know if Kristap's gonna stay healthy. And when they don't, now they're the Vegas favorites to win the time. I think that's crazy, but they are the Vegas favorites to win the title. But when they don't win the title, then all of a sudden, Jalen Brown's gonna show up in trade rumors again. That's just what's gonna happen. He can't be traded now for twelve months, but if they don't win the title, to show up in trade rumors again. The thing is this, Jalen Brown is good enough to be the second best player on a champion. Jalen Brown is also not like Jason the problem for the Celtics. I want to make sure I'm clear with my words here. Tatum is better than Brown. That's undeniable. Brown is good enough to be the second best player on a champion. Tatum is not good enough to be the best player on a champion. Nick, that's unfair. No, it's not best players on champions again. Guys, since nineteen teen eighty are the following Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Larry Bird, Moses Malone with Doctor J. But Moses was the best player at that point, Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Michael Jordan. I'm not listing every champion some of those guys, I am listing every champion, but the repeats were only listening him once a. Keem olajuwon, Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal, put Chauncey billups over here in this category, Dwayne Wade with Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett with Paul Pearson Ray Allen but kind of put him over here in this category. Kobe Bryant, Dirk Novitzky Lebron James, Steph Curry, Kawhi, Leonard Yannis Jokic. So all of those guys that I listed are top twenty all time guys except for Chauncey who is the strong outlier, Kevin Garnett, who is right on the fringe but had Pierce and ray Allen with him. You had three top seventy five all time guys in their prime, and then Kawhi, who was pacing towards being an all timer and injuries derailed it. In this league if you and Jokic has become an old timer. If you don't have a legend, you don't win the title. And Tatum's awesome, but he's not a legend, and I don't think he's going to be. Now, you'd be like Nick, you didn't think Jokic was gonna be that's true, so maybe you'll take a giant leap. But I don't see that happening. So the Celtics, they're in a weird spot because Brown is the movable piece and you wouldn't trade Tatum. But if Tatum's your best player, probably not winning the championship, just not. And so listen, they're the Vegas favorites. I could be wrong. I do think that they waited to sign Jalen because they don't love They don't think the Tatum Brown fit is perfect. But you gotta you can't let him walk for nothing. And he will be a movable piece even if he is, you know, will be upset that for the seventh time in eight or for the fifth time in six years, he's a part of trade rumors again. All right, Next, talk a little col now Boys. Jerry Jones said they've got a team that can compete for the top spot. I said on TV the Eagles should be worried about the Cowboys. Does that mean you're leaning on the Cowboys? The producers asked me at plus six hundred to win the NFC, I might be I'm gonna I'm not gonna give my full We're not doing our NFL preview show. But there are a lot of things that I like about the Cowboys this year. The coaching staff take out the coaching staff, which I don't love. And if you're like me and you think the Niners quarterback situation this year, they're not They're finally not gonna be able to overcome it. And you think the Eagles might have a bit of a Super Bowl hangover. Who's left in the NFC. The Cowboys are the best looking of the remaining teams. Talk more about them in a moment, And then the news from last night. Rogers seemingly I still have almost a hard time believing this, but all of the reporting has been just flat gave up around thirty five million dollars, changed his contract to where he add more than one hundred million guaranteed to now seventy five million guaranteed. Think he had one hundred and seven million guaranteed, so it's like thirty two million he just gave back. And yes there is some irony in you know, the sports world's biggest critic of Big Pharma giving Big Pharma's number one air Woody Johnson more than thirty million dollar rebate, but I'll leave that alone. This objectively helps the Jets. There's just there's no shots to take. There's no Yeah. But does it maybe are the Packers waking up this morning like you gotta be efing kidding me? Maybe? Does this make the trade for Rogers a better trade? Of course? Does it give the Jets a better chance to compete for a championship over the next two years? Undeniably? Is it a shocking move? You don't see guy. You see guys restructure contracts, move money around. You don't see guys flatly give up thirty some million that has already been agreed to. You see guys take undermarket deals, those types of things. But this contract was signed, they owed him this money, he gave it back, So you've got to give him credit for it, unless there comes out with some reporting that, oh, well, actually he's gonna get the whole thing. But that doesn't seem to be what it is. Tom Pelasaro initially reported it, then everyone had it after and they have echoed it. He's flatly giving this money back, which the Jets might try to sign Dalvin Cook. They're bringing him in today. Hey, Craig Cartin first reported that now a lot of people have I it helps them, and it helps his chances of being able to win a Super Bowl there, so I'll give him credit for it. Does it make me change my opinion that the Jets are far over hyped? No, it does not. Does it make me change my opinion that the Jets are at best the seventh playoff team in the AFC and probably on the outside looking in. It doesn't, But it does help them greatly for next season in twenty twenty four, and it does give you real belief that he's planning on sticking around for these next two years. And we'll see if I'm wrong about him this year. But listen, I have there are a lot of things Aaron Rodgers done over the last few years that I've been highly critical of. This is truly putting his money where his mouth is on trying to win a super Bowl with the Jets. I don't think they can do it. I don't think they're that good of a team. And I think last year's we talked about it on Tuesday. Their seven wins last year one was against Josh Allen, excellent win. One was against Aaron Rodgers, very good win, and five we're against backup or third string quarterbacks, and so I don't and they have a brutal start to the season, and they lost six straight in last year. So I am not a buyer on the Jets, but this move helps them, and it certainly is going to ingratiate himself at least temporarily to the New York media, which I think will be helpful. And I'm excited to see the scene on Hard Knocks where they cover it all right, quick break, come back, play, a game, a likely, maybe, what if? What's right?
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblast, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Joel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video all right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back in episode one sixty seven. Reminder, you guys can throw your questions into the chat. We'll get to him in the next segment. Starting off here with a player who's not being traded, shoe A Otani. He's off the market. And by before I even get to the question, this is the right move I said on TV two weeks ago today? Actually, uh that or actually was two weeks ago Wednesday. So I guess fifteen days ago that the Angel shouldn't trade him. You have a guy who's in the discussion to be the best player in the history of the sport. You're a few games out of the playoffs. You're gonna get Mike trout back, make a push, and they did. They went out and traded for Giolito last night. Has read that this morning. They are trying. They are buyers instead of sellers, which is what they should be. When you have this guy, and maybe you convince him to stay. I don't know, but you're not going to get equal return. If Otani actually might be the best player ever, you gotta do everything you can to keep him. Now, could you get equal return if he's leaving in a few months and you miss the playoffs, yes, but you roll those dice, try to make a playoff push, try to convince him to stay, try to win the whole damn thing this year when Trout comes back. So, I think they made the right call there. I applaud them for that. But the producers wanted to know who would get the biggest return in a hypethetical mega trade, Otani, Giannis or Mahomes, assuming all players are healthy and under long term deals. The Andrews Mahomes by a wide margin, A wide margin. I if Mahomes were available, you the Chiefs could get Herbert Bosa, Derwin James, the three best players from the Chargers, and three first round picks. And by the way, the Chiefs would say no to that, there is not a trade you could make for fair value for Mahomes. I'm the The Eagles could the offer you the best three Hurts plus aj Brown and Hassan Reddick and three first round picks, and the Chiefs would hang up the phone. There's not a trade that could be made. There just isn't. I used to back when I did radio in Kansas City, and Rogers was he had just won the Super Bowl and was just I think going fifteen to one that next year, entering his prime, and the Chiefs had no quarterback, and we're about to have the number one pick of the draft. Now this trade is not allowable in the NFL, but I said, the Chiefs should call up Green Bay, offer them the number one pick, and have the trade actually be we trade you our first round pick in perpetuity as long as Rogers is on the roster. So it would be it would be this is twenty eleven, I guess twelve. You get the Chiefs first round pick until Aaron Rodgers is no longer our quarterback. So that could be eight first round picks, nine first round picks, ten first round picks, with the belief being that we're gonna be drafting near the end of the first round. We're gonna have our quarterback. If someone offered that to Kansas City, Kansity would say no. If you said, you can have our first round pick every year that Mahomes plays for us, could be twelve first round picks. The Chiefs would say no. And they should say no. You have the most talented player in the history of the sport, who, according to NFL history, is just now entering his prime. There is no trade that could be made. All right, let's play our game. Likely Maybe what if Sean McVay was asked about the rams projected win total being six and a half, he said, they don't believe in us. Is there actually value to be had in betting the Rams over? It's likely the Rams are terrible. It's likely the Rams are one of the five or six worst teams in football. They don't have the depth. The Stafford injury is concerning. And listen, they went all in on the Super Bowl. They won it. Credit to them. Would have been really painful if they hadn't. But now they're entering a long wilderness. Maybe Stafford gets traded during the season. Let me look at how the Rams season starts. I don't think it's a brutal schedule, but well, it's not a good start. It's not a brutal overall schedule, but it is a brutal beginning of the schedule at Seattle home for the Niners, at the Bengals, at Indy home for Philly. If they start one in four, which they will, If there's a Super Bowl contending team that suffers a quarterback injury, could you see Stafford traded? Absolutely? Absolutely, But what if I I guess the what if would be what if Geno massively regresses the Niners quarterback situation's too much of a mess. And the NFC West this year is last year's NFC South and eight wins can win you the division. But I so I guess the what if would be the Yeah, they win a terrible division, but I don't see that being realistic at all. All Right, next, mac Jones didn't take long This again, I'm reading from the producers show how great the Pats defense wasn't camp first play on seven on sevens the quarterback through an interception? Is this guy gonna be good or not? It's likely that mac Jones is a top tier backup quarterback, that's who he is, flatly. But maybe mac Jones is actually just a bottom tier starter. But what if mac Jones doesn't even make it through the season because Bailey Zappi takes his job. There is no I'm not gonna do the well the coordinator's situation was so bad last year, It was terrible last year. But Zappi, who I do not think is some future star. The two games he played, the Patriots offense looks good, looked good. Mac Jones is petulant, He's immature. He's the only quarterback in the league history to be marked a dirty player for what he has tried to do post turnover with the gator rolling and sliding with his cleats up. That was kind of a brady thing. But the ankle twisting, I know, I just I'm not gonna believe in him. I don't think he's good. And I talked about him way too much on the TV show because a wild so not getting into it now. Daniel Jones. Tiki Barber said Daniel Jones would get top five quarterback Demons probably agrees. What do you think, Well, it's likely that Daniel Jones is exactly who smart people think. He is a good athlete with strong limitations as a quarterback who will put a ceiling on your team as long as he's your starter. That's the most likely that he tops out tops out at the sixteenth best quarterback in football. But maybe it's likely Daniel Jones is Dan Jones. That's right, But maybe the Giants truly lean into his athleticism, try to turn him into a very poor poor man's Cam Newton, lean on the running and win that way, and the what if is what if they open up the offense this year to see what he can be, which they should have done via the franchise tag. Instead, they gave him the long term deal, and you realize you've invested four years, one hundred and sixty million dollars into a bad quarterback. So I understand the Daniel Jones folks were taking a bit of a victory lap after last year. I understand. No, no, no, it's not the what if. Demonse was right, it's what if that he's that the Giants realize they're screwed because demons likes Daniel Jones. I've never I give him credit. He stopped fumbling the ball and he didn't throw picks last year, but it's because it was a training wheels offense asking him to do as little as possible, where he threw fifteen total touchdown passes. I'm just not even in it. Just I'll die on that hill, but I'm not gonna die on the hill, all right. To brock Purty, brock Purdy has been given the all clear. They'll continue to follow the original return playing Shanahan said when he does return, he'll be with the starters. Will perty be able to recapture his rookie year magic. It's likely Brock Purdy is a slightly worse version than he was last year. More film on him, suffered a major injury to his throwing arm, already had athletic limitations. Maybe Purdy becomes an all time Cinderella story in this league. Maybe Purdy builds on last year, is even better, and the Niners do have their quarterback of the future. What if, though, Brock Purdy has to miss time and Trey Lance, who this team gave three first round picks for, has never really played, and they've seemingly already given up on. What if Trey Lance ends up being the guy they thought he was when they drafted him, and the Niners are awesome. I think the Niners' only hope of being awesome is if Trey Lance plays. Now. It's possible Trey Lance is terrible. The Niners seem to think he's terrible. I don't. We haven't seen enough from him in actual football games to determine that. His rookie season, he played a game and a half, played well in one of them. His second year, he played his first game in a torential downpour in Chicago looked bad and then broke his leg a couple snaps into Game two. But that athleticism in the Shanahan offense would be deadly and I'd be interested to see it all right. Next, Travis Kelce has a crush on Taylor Swift. She wouldn't see him before or after the show. He really wanted to give her a friendship bracelet. He said this on his great podcast New Heights, which I should be a guest on. Come on, Travis and Jason, make that happen. If they get together break up, there'red one hundred percent be a song about Travis. What will happen here? It's likely and I love Travis, you guys know that, But it's likely. The Taylor Swift is I guess too big of a celebrity for Travis. I guess if she snubbed him. I listen, we need Diora here for this segment. I don't know a ton about Taylor Swift. I know she's like neck and neck with Beyonce for the biggest star in the world on the musical scene. So maybe she's too big time, or's likely she's too big time. Maybe she hears about this and is gonna be like, oh my god, I love him. I didn't know he's trunn to even be a friendship bracelet, and it starts a beautiful relationship. What if Taylor Swift just made the bulletin board for the Chiefs bulletin board on the TV show be watching today to find out? And then, lastly, what our great executive producer Matt Ford wanted the entire show to be about aliens? According to a congressional hearing from yesterday, aliens are real. Multiple whistleblowers said the US found non human biological pilots on UFOs. Shortly thereafter, our producer met freaked out, what does this mean for the world? All Right, it's likely, in my opinion, that aliens exist but have not visited Earth, despite this congressional hearing. I was all in on the congressional hearing, and then I heard one of the people testifying who was like, well, as I've explained on my previous interviews on News Nation, I was like, yikes, I don't know about that. It's likely they exist, but we haven't had any contact. Maybe these people are telling the truth. We have had contact and and we're trying to deal with it on a governmental level, but haven't figured out the right way to do it. The what if is the scariest to me, which is, what if it's everything they're saying is true. They give us even more public evidence that it's true, and America collectively shrugs. That scares me more than any of it, because, you know, dating back to Hell Independence Day, Great Will Smith movie, there was the idea of, yeah, we're polarized and somewhat broken, and you know, there's wars and there's there's so much partisanship and all of that, but if we ever faced a true existential threat, we would come together. I'm not sure about it. I'm not sure people would pay that much attention, and I'm not sure people would come together. And that's the scarier part for me, And that is why Matt was so excited for me to talk about this. But this is actually kind of a depressing topic for me, because I did think the congressional hearing yesterday was pretty shocking. And this morning I go to the New York Times and the top of their website is about US economic recovery, a little on inflation, then there's a Ukraine story. The right side of the page is about thirty six hours in Newport, Rhode Island. The Real college admission scandal. A Pamela Paul column called Don't call Her Karen, which I think I would. I would rather be beamed up by the aliens than read a Christopher Roofok column about how diversity, equity and inclusion programs are getting in the way of education. I would rather let the aliens experiment me on me than read that one. An article about Trump's lawyers. July is on track to be the hottest month ever. Oh yeah, hey, hey world, how would we deal with an existential threat, be it aliens coming down or the ocean's literally boiling? Oh we eh, We're gonna do more on the heat wave, more on colleges and legacy admissions. The US women's national team won. How the US Supreme Court makes millions on book deals. I'm still going a migrant labor exploitation article. An article about Biden and the Prime Minister of Georgia, Anado Resube Shonnado O'Connor, a shnado O'Connor story, something on the Korean War. Mitch McConnell's weird thing from yesterday. Guys, I'm still looking for the alien story on the New York Times article What happened when fifteen of Twitter's top celebrities joined threads? How to tell if your brain needs a break, How to stop sweating so much? All right, now, I'm concerned. An article about black Wutompson Detroit in Seville, Spain rappers come together. Where's the alien article? All right, I'm going back up to the top and I'm doing a control f alien zero results? Hold on? What were they called these UAPs? Zero results? Did the all right? Maybe is the time centering it? It's all right, I gotta go to wappo. Hold on, Washington Post. I got it now I'm angry in a different way. Washington Post. All right, top story. Trump needed two hundred and twenty five million. A little known bank came to the rescue. Shocker Ukraine launched his new push brisk consumer government spending. Why the famed Appalachian Trail keeps getting longer and harder? Opinion articles elon Harvard and legacy admissions, army recruiting, a book review, a podcast that dumbass Governor of Virginia Glenn youngin an article about him, Mark Milly on Ukraine and a listenable article about being immersed in hookup culture until COVID forced me into intimacy. Okay, let's keep going. Trump lawyers me with a special council. State siphoned away three quarters of a billion infrastructure funds. The US Women's World Cup, an article about the RFK stadium into the Commander's home. Where's the alien coverage?
Speaker 3: Hold on?
Speaker 2: Latest headline? Supreme Court two thousand year old grave lungs a female warrior, severe story. Oh here it is, God talk it. I swear to God, this could this bit couldn't have been better and it wasn't even a bit. This is the headline. And again we are I read this is where it is. It's in the latest headlines. It's the six to one listed. Here's what it reads. Congress asks are aliens real? Many Americans respond, man, that's the headline. Matt put Matt on camera. Please, Matt. I think we're screwed, buddy, I mean I really I think we're in trouble. And by the way, there's a bit of the tag the tail wagging the dog here. When the Washington Post is like, ask about aliens real? And Americans are like, eh, who cares? Well? When you put it on your own page, beneath a seven minute listenable article about hookup culture and an opinion article about why Twitter is now called x and a podcast about the masculinity and modern man, and a long form piece on the expanding Appalachian Trail. Maybe America's like, it must not be that big of a deal. The Times isn't covering it, and the Post all right, last one and then we'll move on. Sorry, I didn't expect to go down this rabbit hole. Wall Street Journal, God, Wall Street Journal won't even let me go to their front page. If I'm not a subscriber. That's not true, and I am a subscriber. I'm just not logged in Wall Street Journal. All right, they got Hunter Biden. They have a thing on smart guns. I'm just doing a control f alien nothing uap oh recommended videos. A video, God dog it, it's a The only thing on the wash on the Wall Street Journal's website is their fifth most recommended video is a fifty nine second recap of this hearing. All right, well we're screwed. I'm out, We're done. We got we you know what. We just better hope they're not here, because we're not prepared we're not guys, we don't have our a team on it. We we got we we're in. We're in real trouble. Okay, answer your listener questions. Next, is I face a bit of a existential crisis? What's right? All right? Welcome back in episode one sixty seven, we will now read the listener questions. Blue Whale asks how does the alien news affect Lebron's legacy? I know you'd be a smartest, but here's what is true. If the aliens were to come down and take over, it would submit Lebron as the all time goat. Because the worry for Lebron, as he already is the goat, is, you know, is Wimby or someone else gonna overtake him? But if the aliens take over and there's no more Nba, then all his records stand. You know, in an odd one of the few winners of an alien takeover would be Lebron James NBA legacy. Skeeter Andrews asked if you could choose any three quarterbacks in history to be on the new Netflix Dot quarterback? Who would you choose in history? Is hard, but I would want Year two Michael Vick mid Dynasty Bradshaw and young Marino. You know, I was saying young Marino, but that made me think of Steve Young. Steve Young when he took over for Montana would probably be a good one too, But young Vic, dynastic Bradshaw, and and I think young Marino. I wonder if there's any obvious ones I'm leaving out. Warren Moon when he finally was able to come over would be interesting from the usfl uh, But those are my the The producers ask if Joe Namath be on there. I I mean, I think I know what was going on there. I don't. I'm not. I'm not that I I know that story, Gabe says Brett Favre maybe like maybe, but I'm going like no, I'm I'm going with the ones I said, I think young Marino who was doing things no one had ever seen in the history of the league, uh dynasty, Bradshaw with those Steelers and that era the seventies, and then Vick right when he came, you know, a year into the league, when he was looked like he might take over, those would be my picks. If Aliens were to visit and said, bring me your leader. Who are we bringing? All right? I know that I said, we all couldn't like nobody. You know, we're all bipartisan, we're all broken all these things.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 2: I do think that if it was like, hey, the aliens are here and they have the ability to annihilate us. If that's been established, you can bring us one person to do to talk to them. I even think our red hatters that watched the show, I even think they would be like, can we see if Obama's available? And even even you know, into the biggest Biden supports, be like Joe, you can see this one out, Don and Ron and you folks, you guys talk amongst yourselves. Let's just see if Barrock's got some free time. I think he's That's the answer if we're being you know, if if world annihilation is on the line, here cutlass ass anyone else think demons looks like Jordan Poole. He's gotten that before and I've talked to him about it. Also played like Jordan Poole had a lot of the same frustrations as Jordan Poole didn't get punched in the face by a teammate. Though, like Jordan Poole, hat on a Fox asked you were forcing into a career change, and you're shoved into the booth to call a game, to commentary for a specific sport and team. What sport would it be in for what team? Listen? It's one of my I hope to do it at some point career goal is I really really would like to be the third person in a booth for the NFL or the NBA. I don't think I have any real shot of it happening with the NFL. I think it could happen with the NBA, but add I think the way we go to the refs experts for the NFL, we could use an analytical expert why they're doing this? Was that punt the right decision? It kind of cut through it rather than just saying ah the analytics said and then throw it out. That would be for the NFL and for the NBA. There's a lot of interesting strategic things that have to do with time and score and fouls and things that I feel like get glossed over in in the regular broadcast that I'd be really good at and I've always wanted to do it. When I was a little kid. Actually that was my dream job was NBA color commentator because I didn't realize you had to be a basically had to be a former player or coach. But I mean that's what it would be, and I hope to be able to do at least one of those. One day. Chico forty two says Imbape is reportedly going to turn down three quarters of a billion dollars. What wouldn't you do for three quarters of a billion? Well, it's less what wouldn't I do? That's the it's a weird spot for Imbape because he's already making hundreds of millions, so you got to look at it on that level. But if let's say, because Lebron and Jannis and Draymond all seemingly joked about going to play in that Saudi Arabian league, if they ever if they got a league, or if they set it up and offered him that type of money. If you're asking me, if they were to be offering five x my salary to go over there and in English obviously be a color commentator for a Saudi Arabian basketball league, would I do it? It wouldn't be an instant no, And I hope people will judge me for that or whatever. That's why I stayed out of the lib golf controversy. I think, yeah, you offer me five x my salary for a couple of years. It's not a lifetime deal. Be considered. It wouldn't be dismissed out of hand. I'll tell you that much. All right, today it was fun show. We have a massive TV show scheduled for you today, so I hope you joined us at three o'clock on FS one. We'll be back right here on Tuesday with my wife sitting in Hope you enjoyed the solo show. Have a great weekend, everybody, See you guys.