Speaker 1: I got a call, like on a Friday afternoon from the promoter. It's like, hey, my opener backed out. I'll pay you a hundred bucks to come up here. It's like, yeah, who am I opening for a new guy that just like moved to Nashville. His name's Luke COLEMs And I was like, okay, cool. I didn't know who Luke was at the time. Episode four seventy four. It's Drew Parker. I like this guy.
Speaker 2: Not that I don't like everybody, but some people you just kind of click with and you can just have a conversation and it just feels like kind of normal, like you could just like two I didn't know him, but like two buddies just talking for a while. I kind of got this with Drew, and I felt like I felt like we could have done like two hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you hang out with them after. Yeah we didn't, by the way, No, but I think I could have. Yeah, I think I could have. His instagram is Drew Parker. Plays.
Speaker 2: His full length album, Camouflage Cowboy, came out this summer. His single is Love the Leaving, which is climbing. I don't know where it is on a chart right now. I know that we play it a little bit, and I end up telling him in this like, hey, we're gonna help you out a little bit because it's a good song.
Speaker 1: He's from Georgia. He started singing in church like a lot of folks do. He's written big, big, big songs.
Speaker 2: But I'll let you hear the story about that and how one of these songs, like major artists wanted to cut it and he had to go, no, I'm gonna keep this one, which is crazy because if any of these major artists cut it, he makes a lot of money. He basically gave up money for the chance to possibly make some money for himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tough call.
Speaker 2: It's a tough call, I know, especially as writers too, like his writers he wrote it with, They're.
Speaker 1: Like, no, give it to them. So yeah, yeah, yeah, So I like Drew Parker. Check it out here. He is episode four seventy four. Drew.
Speaker 2: I just got a text about fourteen minutes ago. Be nice to Drew. He's a bud that's from Gator. Harrison. How do you know Gator like typical radio stuff or do you guys like have any history of doing anything social golf?
Speaker 1: Golf? Yeah, really. Hell, we live both on the same side of town, so.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's forever going. I'll go play golf a gator and it's like a fifty minute drive. It's out there with any traffic, and.
Speaker 1: I'm farther like I live farther out than that. Do you have like do you look like a property guy? You have a property? I mean I don't, but I there's plenty around me that I hope so big.
Speaker 2: I thought it had to be on a property, Like I saw you drive up and I was like, is that a truck on top of another truck?
Speaker 1: And it was not. It was just your truck.
Speaker 2: Now, when you buy that truck, do you buy it lifted that much already or did you lift it yourself? Or is it not lifted at all?
Speaker 1: It's it has like like a one and a half inch list.
Speaker 2: You gotta be kidding me, I swear, Okay, how big of the tires? Thirty seven minutes tars, Mike, It's a monster, right, It's huge. Okay, So what am I not getting? Because I don't know anything about cars?
Speaker 1: What I don't know? I'm like big on the it looks like a glorified truck. Honestly, it's yeah, but it's huge. It is big. Yeah, it's huge. Yeah, you know, might have to you know, pull a buddy out of the pitch or something. I don't know, a little wench for that. But I mean, this is like my dream truck. This is like what I like. Well, it's just I mean, I wouldn't say that this is exactly my dream truck because they didn't. This truck didn't exist when I when you were eleven, right exactly. But it's like now it's what I envisioned I would have loved when I was eleven.
Speaker 2: This is that meaning like, you're doing good enough now you can just go get whatever truck you want.
Speaker 1: Uh no, this will be.
Speaker 2: This I mean is if I'm asking the question, you have to be it's not humble to answer it.
Speaker 1: It is like if that's like I just.
Speaker 2: Bought my freaking dream car. Yeah, the first time, and it's awesome and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I couldn't do it again. I couldn't go do it again. I couldn't go get another You need to, No, I don't. Oh yeah, so yeah this is yeah, this is it. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have it to the world's fall off. Oh I'll trade mine in about a year.
Speaker 1: But no, this is yeah yeah, yeah, uh so what is Covington, Georgia like very small town suburb of Atlanta. It's definitely, you know, it's kind of expanded. Atlanta's kind of expanded there. Now it's not the same talent it was when I was growing up.
Speaker 2: How suburban? How long does it take to get out of Atlanta to a forty five minutes? But yeah, I mean it's not the exact same talent it was when I was growing up. When I was growing up there there was only one high school.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, An there's like three west size was your high school? Six hundred? I have any okay, so not big? Mine was.
Speaker 2: We were single A, then went to double A. I don't know what the class we would be.
Speaker 1: We were like we were actually four A. In my senior year. She played ball, but I was. I played baseball. I was the first full graduated class. So my freshman year it was a brand new school. Oh dang, yeah, I was the first class with her. We had a school wasn't ours. We had a school that was brand new. It was called Center Point.
Speaker 2: There were a brand new school, but they struggle in athletics for a while because they were a brand new school and I don't know, just a bunch of random kids that went there. They didn't have any history, right and any tradition.
Speaker 1: Did you guys have any experience that, Yeah, very much so. But my senior year we went to a final four in state in baseball and then got molly wopped, just destroyed by a team of Atlanta. Did you play any like pro ball players that later turned pro? Not that well. I played like Jason Hayward's younger brother, but I don't think he was like, well, that's funny. I mean, Jason Hayward.
Speaker 2: I'm a big Cups fan, So yeah, Hayward's yeah, big part of the reason that we did anything back in the day in sixteen.
Speaker 1: So I remember playing his brother. There was some other guy. There was a guy that hit an absolute mammoth of a home run off of me that went and played somewhere, and I think he owes a lot of that to me because there were tons of scouts there watching him, and I just.
Speaker 2: That's so funny that he said Jason Hayward, And I'm like, wow, younger brother, that's funny.
Speaker 1: When did you move to Nashale. Oh what year twenty fifteen, September twenty fifteen. I guess he's been here a little bit nine years.
Speaker 2: Let's talk music, because I got a lot of stuff to talk about. What do you wanna do first? You want to do the greatest hits? What do you want to do?
Speaker 1: You? This is the greatest hits? Okay, got a.
Speaker 2: Grammy nominee nomination for doing this with Luke Combs. You guys met back like Rome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we met in a bar in Rome, Georgia, Georgia. Was he playing the bar? He was? I was opening. I got a call, like on a Friday afternoon from the promoter. It's like, hey, my opener backed out. I'll pay you a hundred bucks to come up here. I was like, yeah, who am I opening for? He was like, well, it's this new guy that just like moved to Nashville. His name's Luke Combs. And I was like, okay, cool. I didn't know who Luke was at the time, but we opened that show that night and we just hit it off. And he was like, man, I just moved to Nashville. You should come up there and let's write songs. And I had never written a song before and I was, but I was like, well, this seems like my ticket to Nashville, because I'd always wanted to go. I was like, this seems like my ticket. So I was like absolutely. So for the next nine months, I drove back and forth from Georgia to Nashville and wrote songs. What was that drive? Three hundred miles? Did you have a normal job? I did? I have a degree in radiology. Wow. So that nine months, I like was sending like resumes to try to get a job at a hospital up here, and it took nine months, but I finally did. And then that's when I moved.
Speaker 2: I think, if I'm doing my research here, you have, as far as radiologists go, the biggest truck ever, any radiologist ever, largest radiologist truck.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Why did you go into radiology? It was so I did like joint enrollment, like my junior senior ye of high school, which was like half college half high school credits or whatever was it? Because you were so ahead. I mean, it's okay, well I really don't remember. I think so, but it allowed for me to have this opportunity to be able to go, you know, take two classes at the college. The local Community College in Covington. So when I got out, I had this plan that I was going to go play music. Moved to Nashville one day, so I like kind of looked into what are the credits that I've earned at this point that I can get through something quickly? Right when like radiology was like one of the ones that popped up. Were you interested in that? Did you know really what it was? I liked the medical field. I thought it was like an easy place to get a job. I mean, my whole plan was to wind up here in the music business. What was going to get me their quick, quickest and to help me pay my rent.
Speaker 2: Only person that's ever come in to said the medical industry is what was going to get me to Nashville to write song. You're the only person that's ever happened probably so so.
Speaker 1: And you did that. You did radiology for a little bit. I did so. I got here in twenty fifteen and worked at a hospital in Nashville, and I worked there until the week I had first number one in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: That's a wild story that's extremely versatile of you can you look at my ankle, you well, you don't have the equipment oh kind of makes for your ankle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh no, I don't have the equipment.
Speaker 2: But if you did, oh I did, if christ did you put the thing on? Where you have to like where the did you? You have to run out of the room right Like they're like, yeah, you're supposed to.
Speaker 1: But really, I mean, here's the thing. Man, It's like takes too much. Like really you're supposed to go get help, like where the thing? But man, when you're like patients are like coming in and out like a lots of fast, you're gonna get backed up. You're just kind of like, all right, well this will be quicker if I just don't go ask for helping take the risk of ready. Yeah, but my kids all you know, the two kids I have have all their fingers and toes. So I think we've made it out alive. Talk to me.
Speaker 2: So you're in Rome, Georgia with Luke Combs. How many people do you think are at the show that night?
Speaker 1: I've always said that there was sixty people at the show that night. I've been told that that is false, but I'm that's close. Were you the only support? Was it you? Then, Luke? No? There was another guy, h Jacob Bryant and do you meet Luke pre or post pre pre show? And then we hung out post show and we just hit it off. I mean we just had the same interest. It was like kind of like sports, like we just found you know, we just liked all the same things.
Speaker 2: And so he says, hey, here's my information, and like it's not like he was killing it right he was.
Speaker 1: He was far from finger quotes Luke Comb's oh not even close.
Speaker 2: But what was he able to lend you as far as like advice or he already lived here, so you had like a buddy or someone you could like rely on to be here?
Speaker 1: Like what was that? Well? I just knew that there was some confidence there that I couldn't. I mean, it's also like you hear somebody that you're like a massive fan of and you're like, okay, that guy's good, and the person that you think is good is telling you you're good. So you're like, okay, well there's a little validation there. He respected your music as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty cool because even before he blew up, you would hear him sing and you would go, oh, yeah, he's really good.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: But it was like the first time that I heard him sing. It was like, again, this is before he even had an hit song. He was in studio and he sings so violently, but he's a pure singer. At the same time, he's incredible. It's one of those rare where someone can go extremely hard. It's like oh, but also like what do you want him to sing?
Speaker 1: Like? It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't get the credit for being like a pure vocalist because of how aggressive he sings, and also just because he looks like a normal dude. But I remember thinking that and if he thought I was good, which he did not think I was a good singer, so I don't know I have the same then I think that would give me confidence.
Speaker 1: And you felt that way about yourself, Yeah, I mean it did. And I knew that he, you know, had offered the invite to come to Nashville to write songs. I knew that that's kind of not an inn and tell him, but like, that's kind of where you start, like when you get to hear right songs. So here's a guy that lives in Nashville doing what I want to do, who is inviting me to write songs, and so I take that opportunity. What was home like for you growing up? Your parents? Were they together? They? Yep, very supportive, very involved. I mean so music for me started when I was like ten, singing in church and like traveling all over the Southeast. My dad would get off work on Friday and we'd pack my mom's expedition with like sound equipment and we'd go sing at a church or I would go sing at a church a family and it was just me.
Speaker 2: Oh so they were just being supportive. Yeah, so how at ten? Why at ten did you want to start singing in church? Did you have like friends that sang, a youth director that sang? Like how did you get involved there?
Speaker 1: There was this guy in my church that sang and he would literally go sit up set up sound equipment in the Arby's parking lot and sing on like Friday nights. And my parents would go up there and we'd like spend Friday nights in the Arby's parking lot watching this guy sing. And so he like introduced me to the stage there. And so it's just like thing that developed and just one thing led to another, and my parents, you know, always I wouldn't say they pushed me to do it. But they saw that, you know, it was something I wanted to do, and they whatever it took for me to be able to do that super encouraging. Oh very are they so proud of you now? I'd like to think so. Yeah, I think so because I.
Speaker 2: Think that would be pretty cool to have somebody that you know and love kind of risk it.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: This is a wild industry where almost nobody makes it, and if you do make it, you know, making it is if you actually make its just paying your bills like that.
Speaker 1: That's been my goal, that's all. That's the only thing that's ever been My goal is to provide for my family doing what I love. So whatever that meant.
Speaker 2: Anybody that can do an art they love and support themselves like to me, that's making it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: And the fact that you've been able to because you said you hadn't written you hadn't really written in these songs, right, not really? And again we're doing the greatest hits before we get to specific stuff about you.
Speaker 1: But it's like.
Speaker 2: All the songs that you now have written, you know, with and for Luke, were you sitting in rooms with people that had written the way Nashville writes or were.
Speaker 1: Just you and Luke writing and he was learning. How it was like it was me and Luke and other folks that he had met the same way he had met me in a sense. I mean we were just learning together really, and we were just writing songs that we would want to listen to. You know. It wasn't We never never felt like we were chasing anything, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: But do you remember like learning the formula meaning Okay, we're gonna we're gonna sit down, and this is very concept. It's a very concept first town more so than a melody town, right, and we're gonna go uh verse chorus, uh bridge or verse bridge core, whatever the case, and going, oh, this kind of makes sense. Now there's a formula. I never really looked at song. Its like a formula, like did you learn that when you hear or were you just listening to enough song to sing enough songs that you kind of understood that anyway, even before you you wrote anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think just by listening to other songs and kind of just learning that way. But there's so many different it was. I was always like a stickler on like rhymes and like you know, finding them the right place to land and like the phrasing of the thing. But I think that was, you know, from the music that I grew.
Speaker 2: Up on, Like prechorses were always trippy to me, because I never even thought of such a thing, right, the new choruses and I knew that.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, pre chorus. Pre chorus is just the thing that helps you like the end of your verse doesn't quite carry you into the chorus. So you're just like, well, we need to make something up that gets us to the chorus. Yeah, but we can repeat that.
Speaker 2: People will also sing, did you let's take Luke out of this rite with anybody where you're like, holy crap.
Speaker 1: I think I just took a lesson in writing early on. Like Ben Hayslip, Yeah, he was one of the guys that wrote with me early on. There was a few, but I mean for the most part, it was just people that I was meeting.
Speaker 2: You go into the song rounds and you know, I feel like I've been fortunate in my time here. Like so we launched, we semi launched like a secret project. And what do I know about songwriting? Nothing except for I wrote comedy songs right, very different. I can write verse, chorus, bridge chorus, chorus, chorus, chorus, as long as it's funny, it doesn't matter, and as long as it grows. But me, Ross Kapperman, Nicole Gallian we got together and we're like, we're going to create this cartoon kind of like the Mike who is a feel good the Gorillas, the Gorillas, kind of like kind of the Gorilla. Actually, what it happened was I'd seen a thing in like sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: We're in Japan. They have a hologram.
Speaker 2: It does like ten to at once, and I'm like, oh, this is how we make money.
Speaker 1: Holy cas.
Speaker 2: So I went to Ross and I was like, well, let's let's write a bunch of songs. Not really knowing anything other than writing comedy songs. I was like, let's we're gonna build this hologram and it's going to open for everybody at once, and we're gonna sit home account our money.
Speaker 1: That's brilliant, and so he was like, let's go.
Speaker 2: And so we got in a call and we went and wrote every week everywhere, and I remember just going, oh, I had no idea, Like I thought I.
Speaker 1: Had an idea, and I knew music. I knew how to write that.
Speaker 2: But just like the precision of like really talented songaters and you're one of those now. But when I was newly kind of adopted into let's write this stuff, I was just like, oh, I had no idea you could do so many things with songs and concepts and turning meanings around and flipping things like I got a big lesson, And.
Speaker 1: I don't know where that came from for me, Like that's kind of always been like what fires me up is like trying to find an idea that can be flipped. You know. Now we get in rooms and we're like, well, let's not do the We don't there's no reason for us to do the trick, you know what I mean, like make it mean something else, but saying the same thing the whole time. But that's fun to me. That's like a you know, it's like a puzzle, putting a puzzle together in more ways than ones. So but I don't, I don't. I think it just honestly learning. We were all learning together.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, that's fine because again there's not a lot of pressure there. There was none that was learning, you know, there was we didn't have publishing deals. I met a guy there was a guy he was teaching like a music class at Uga and Athens.
Speaker 1: I didn't go there, but I didn't. I grew up not far from there. But he was a songwriter, Like he wrote some Reeven McIntyre hits back in the day, and I cold like emailed him one day and I was like, hey, man, I'm a new songwriter, like looking for advice, honestly, and I remember him specifically saying, find someone that you believe in and write as many songs as you can with them. What I didn't realize is I was already doing that with Luke. And I mean it wasn't until years later that I kind of realized that the device he had given me something that I was already doing. That's super Bowl. He responded like that, though, yeah it was. I mean what incredible advice. I mean it's advice that I give today, Like, find somebody you would bet everything on and just go write a bunch of songs with them.
Speaker 2: I wonder your direction because you move here obviously you're a singer and your writing and you're an artist, and you're in the Luke camp before it's officially been a camp, Like it's just a couple of tenths before it turned into a full fledged camp because Luke's success took off. Were you like, all right, we're just gonna be the engine on this thing for a little bit. Yeah, for sure, more so than I'm gonna take and go. Because it is a grind to be an artist, a new artist, because you have to do radio tour, you have to You've got to be gone a lot, making no money. But now the group that you had cultivated with like minded people, they're all enjoyed writing together. That started to hit, That started to hit. Did you make a conscious decision of all right, I'm still gonna play, but I can't really go and pursue this full artist thing because I really believe what we're doing now and I want to get out of it what I can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was definitely part of it, But it was also just I was still learning and preparing myself for who exactly I wanted to be as an artist. And I mean that being an artist is exactly what I moved here for. I wanted to sing, and I wanted to play shows, and I wanted to be an artist. Songwriting was like a gift that I discovered God and given me, like kind of after I got here. It just kind of happened, right, And but once the started having cuts and that kind of thing, it's you kind of go through your head of like, okay, now, which do I really want this thing? Or is this good enough? And ultimately I decided that how bad I wanted to be an artist. And but I still think about those moments, and there's a pivotal moments of like holding onto a song or you know, letting a song go. But yeah, it was. It was a fun time and still is a fun time to be in in that the songwriting process writing songs for other folks too. You mostly write for yourself now, no really, I mean when I was working on this record, I mean I was writing pretty hard for myself. But that was the first time I'd ever really written for myself, even like all the EPs that I'd put out, that was just me writing songs, just trying to write a good song, and if it wound up with somebody, that was fine, and if it didn't, it was you know, I's gonna be able to record it.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: A couple of things that stand out to me from what you just said, the maturity to go I'm still finding myself as an artist because I did not have never had that. I'm just like, I know who I am. I'm about to find it who I am. I'm lowering my head and going full speed speed into everything. And what you just said, you were like, I'm still kind of finding myself as an artist. So I was here and you were investing time in learning how to write, like that feels pretty mature for somebody that was in their twenties, because I thought added all figured out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I have my wife to think for a lot of that. I mean, I've been married pretty much ever since I got to town, so I didn't have anything that I had to say. I mean, I really didn't, and I was just kind of preparing myself for those moments and making sure that that's exactly what I wanted to do. And I mean it kind of goes back to I wanted to be able to provide for my family. Well, when you're getting cuts for other artists and getting radio singles, I mean it's easy to go, Okay, well I'm providing for my family doing this. But now is it what I want to do? And you know, having the success as a songwriter kind of freed up being able to go not make any money being an artist.
Speaker 2: When you quit your job in the hospital, what did you need to happen and what did happen for you to be able to do that?
Speaker 1: So it was I made a deal with the boss at the hospital that if I ever got a number one song, that I would come work one more shift and then I'd be done. That's an awesome deal. Yeah, and I'm telling you this right now. Her name is Tracy Lienberger, the greatest boss that has ever walked the face of the earth. Anytime I needed off to go play a show for a hundred bucks, she would let me. I mean it was she was the best. So I'd made this deal with her. March twenty second of twenty twenty, I got my first number one homemade by Jacoben. I called my boss. I said, hey, I'll be there tomorrow, but that's gonna be it. I got my first number one. She was like, congratulations, she's tracking it with you by an each other. Yeah she knew, I mean yeah, and the whole I mean, even the folks I worked with were like cheered me on, you know, and so I called her. I'm like, hey, I'll be there tomorrow and that's let's gonna be it for me. And worked like second shift, so I would go in at like from three pm to eleven. And so that day, Monday, I'm getting ready to go work my last shift of the hospital. I'm in my bedroom putting scrubs on. By the way, this is March of twenty twenty. I mean, working in the medical field was chaos and I'm putting my scrubs on. My wife walks in the bedroom and tells me that she is going into labor. So I had to call my boss and say, actually, I am on my way to the hospital, but it's not to work. And dude, the boss met me at my car, helped me and my wife get into the hospital. And I never I still owe her technically that last shift. But that's a great story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Homemade I changed Jake's life.
Speaker 1: It really did change mind too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's such a great song and I can speak to it. I'm we're close to that family, and Jake had a ton of success, and I think Jake was then trying to find himself as an artist. He'd That song kind of put him back on in a major way. And I remember the first time that he played it, I was like, oh, God, dang, and.
Speaker 1: That it's a trick. You did the trick in it too. You don't talk about it.
Speaker 2: It's homemade, but homemade and it was such a big song for his career still is.
Speaker 1: But I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've never spoken to you about that, So tell me the story about that song, if there is one. Who was it a note in a phone that somebody brought in one of these like this is so good? Or was it just one that just you just sent off to the publisher like who knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had Jared Mullins and Ben Goldsmith on my calendar that day and I had never written with either of them, And so we get there and Jared's like, hey, I got this idea called homemade, and I mean just immediately I was like, oh, thank you Jesus, Like this is I mean, I think every good song starts with a great idea. And I immediately knew. And I was like, homemade me love a dirt road, and he was like yes, And so then I knew that we were on the same page about what this idea was supposed to be. So we start working on it. We write like a verse and a chorus, and if you listen to that course, it says homemade fifty billion times in it. So getting those to like land in the pocket in the right place was like kind of hard and like tripping us up a little bit. And we had the whole lyrics, the melody was pretty much mapped out, but it wasn't like nailed, and we were like struggling pretty good on it, and Jared Mullins goes, hey, I was with Bobby Pinson last night. What if I call him to come help us? And I was like, I mean, I'm a new writer, and tell him pretty much. And I'm like, Bobby Penson, Yeah, get him over here. I've never written with him, but obviously a hero writer of mine, you know, yes, funny guy. So he gets he was actually bush hogging. He was like, send me the send me the work tape. So Jared sent him the work tape of what we had versus chorus. He called Jared back and said I'm on my way, and he got there and we finished it. It was a crazy moment in my personal life with my wife. I was there. I had never written a song. I mean usually it's like, you know, maybe on average, I would say three hours to write a song. Well, this started at like maybe ten or eleven AM. And at nine pm we were still there and my wife's like, where you at. I'm like writing. She's like writing, you don't ever write this song. I was like, I'm writing, I'm writing a hit song. And so we left that night with a demo and the full song done, and I think it went on hold that night, but not with Jake, and it was kind of a crazy it like got passed around town and can you can you say who? Chris Young? I think was the first guy.
Speaker 2: He would have sounded a good singing Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I was excited. Yeah. And then Jake was like heard it, found out about it, and he was like, I will cut this tomorrow if I can have it, and he pretty much did. You wrote for eleven twelve hours.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eleven twelve hours, you're right, and mostly it's three four hours.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Were you grinding away at it because you believed it so much? Or were you grinding away at it because you wanted to finish it? And it was there a time when you ever, because I'll get especially writing.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter what I'm writing.
Speaker 2: If I'm minuted enough, I start to lose what I've lost, if it even feels good anymore, and I've got to go. I just have to believe my instincts at the beginning of this and finish it, even though I don't even understand why.
Speaker 1: I do that a lot, and that's you know, that's a tough thing. This was different. I knew that this was. I never had a hit, so I guess I didn't know, but it just this had all the right pieces. To me. The melody felt like a hit, and.
Speaker 2: The guys felt that way too, or they wouldn't have said for sure the whole day, and I wouldn't the whole time.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like we were writing the song for nine or ten hours. We left with a demo and we were like, we perfected that demo that we sent to passed around, you know, So you know, I had sang the whole song. We had played all the guitar parts for it, done all like the cool background things, so like part of it was like us doing that part of it too.
Speaker 2: So you spent all day doing that when you could have done it four different days.
Speaker 1: We could have come back the next week and sure and done the demo, but we were like, this has to be somebody needs this right now. You had that feeling since it's just like, yeah, I have with a song that's already out, with a song that I just recorded that went on it. It's a song called Love the Leaving, which that's like, that's like your career song, you think it is. I think, so that's what I read about you. Well, what so my record was done, no room for any more songs. I wrote Love the Leaving. My record's done. So as a songwriter, I start pitching around. It goes hol on hold within like two hours with three different artists.
Speaker 2: How does that how to three artists? Because there's no communication that somebody's put it on hold?
Speaker 1: Pretty much it happens. I mean, dude, it happened so fast. Can you say who?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mind. Uh Nate Smith, Luke Holmes, and Morgan Wallen. Oh my god, that was my reaction.
Speaker 2: Like you're talking about first Luke and Morgan right tier one And Nate Smith is on such a run.
Speaker 1: This was like the week after he's coming off like ten week number one, So all three of those put it on hold yeah, and and I was thrilled to death. I was like, oh man, I did it that. We did it again. I'm like talking to my co writers like cause you don't, I mean, because that's get to do it again. Also listen, that's your co writers are like we got three, I mean we were we were a money moon. This felt like a guaranteed it. Okay, so how did it? How did How did I get back to you? I had a meeting with my label and I don't even really know why, but I played them the song and I was like, but I can't record it. It's one of these guys is going to record it. And the head of my label is like, you have to record this. This is a career song. This is the one. And I was like, man, who said that. Chris Lacey, she's great, incredible. I mean, I needed somebody to convince me that.
Speaker 2: I just canceled lunch with her like two weeks ago because I had freaking sinus infection and I don't have lunch with anybody.
Speaker 1: I don't even like lunch. I don't even like I don't even like food.
Speaker 2: With another human, like my food by myself and I like enjoy Chris so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's great, She's great, great. I mean she she and she talked through the whole thing with me. She was like why not And it goes back to the whole thing I want to provide for my family, and I'm like going through my head with her, like I've got to go tell my wife that one of these three biggest artists is not going to record it because I'm going to record it. I was like, I'm the unproven, they're the proven. I've also got to go tell two songwriters who were over the moon about the three biggest artists. That would be what I would think would be difficult because I didn't know how to tell them because they're thinking, wow, look at these three guys.
Speaker 2: They were going to cut our song. We just wrote it, and you're going to go to them and go, no, I'm going to cut it now, dude. I was terrified.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, me and her talking to this whole thing, and I was like, I need the weekend to think about this, Like I really did. I knew it was a hit song, and I texted Luke and I was like, hey, man, I need to like talk to you about something like, I know you love this song and I would love for you to record it, and I think you would make it a mega hit. But do you think I'd be crazy for me recording And he was like, dude, I don't know why the heck you weren't going to record it to begin with. And I mean we had a long conversation. He's like, man, the artist thing, it's a fleeting thing. You gotta grab it while you can, like and with this song, like you have to do that. So like that helped me talking to my wife about it. I mean, it helped me. It's cool that he's a friend too, not just someone who has your song on hold that's a star, Oh no, no, yeah, it's like that's a cool thing, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, let's say it's Jimmy Johnston who has your song is a big and you're like, I want to like, I don't know, man, I think it's wise to let the star have it because he's not your friend for sure. Yeah, that's really cool that Luke does that as a friend. Yep, he still got two to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and he was like, I mean, he was like, man, we're we're gonna write plenty of some more songs like but yeah, then I had to call my co writers, And I can't tell you how great these two guys are, Lindsay Rhymes and Matt Rodgers. They couldn't have been more gracious to say, man, yeah, I mean they both literally said, man, it would be awesome to have a hit song. I mean they have. One of them has a hit with Nate Smith. They both have other hits. You know, neither one of them I've ever had a cut with Morgan or Luke, So like they were looking forward to that. They were like, yeah, man, we'd love to have that, but what happened in that room that day happened with us, And like, I don't think there could be a bigger torch bear for the song than you, and they like mint it and so like that really helped a lot to know that they were like supportive of this decision, because I don't know that if I was on the flip side, it would be hard for me if I was just songwriter in the in the place. So I can't say enough good things about those guys.
Speaker 2: Also, your boss of the hospital's pretty freaking awesome. I can't really shake that either. The best it's like I quit just kidding here. I am, but I can't pick up a shift Camouflage Cowboy that you know, it's the full length album. You're on Camouflage now, Yeah, how much your wardrobe BSEd Camouflage.
Speaker 1: It's a good bit. It's a good bit. It's it's more of a it's a talking point for me at this point, Like it was always a kind of something I know, war but you know, I wrote a song by myself, the title track for this record, called Camouflage Cowboy. It's like the first time that I've ever even like that. I played this song for my wife and she's like, what is this about. I was like, well, when you talk about some stuff, and I mean, it's the most vulnerable I've ever been in a song, Like, you know, just the struggle of leaving to go on the road and coming back home and being strong for your family and you know you're trying to provide for them, and you know you got to tell them by because you're doing the right thing by providing for them, but you're also leaving them at the same time. Like the weight that that carries of like I feel like I'm doing the right thing, but I'm also doing the wrong thame because I'm leaving them. And when you're you know, your daughter's like crying because you're getting on a bus. It's like, I mean, that's the part you know, nobody talks about or tells you about when you sign up for this, you know. And so that was kind of what I was writing it when I was writing about this song.
Speaker 2: There's a him at the very last track, one of the last tracks, like maybe last track, yeah, last track, traditional Ham. Other than that, when I was looking at the notes, I think, did you write all but one of the songs too?
Speaker 1: I didn't write. I always like it when someone.
Speaker 2: Who is a really great songwriter takes a couple of cuts that they didn't write, Like, I feel like that is so respectful to the songwriting community. Can also understand when someone goes, I want to write all my own songs.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, both those.
Speaker 2: But I always there's like a little bit of me like, really appreciate somebody that is a really successful songwriter who finds a song they like that represents them that they didn't write.
Speaker 1: And I love this. I'm gonna put it on my Yeah. I've never I've never truly like cared whether I wrote my own songs or not. I mean, if I think if I say something that I want to say good enough, then I'll record it. But if something, if somebody else wrote a song said it better than I could say it, I have no problem doing that.
Speaker 2: One of these songs speak for you as good as you could have spoken for yourself once that you didn't write.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look don't live around here. I mean, that's just something I would like say. I remember, like growing up, my mom was like if she ever heard me, like say something about being lucky, She's like, son, we're not lucky, we're blessed. And I was like true. And when I heard the song, I was like I could just hear my mom like just saying that, and so it was you know, that was something that I was like, man, dad, gum it. It's one of those ideas I wish I had to come up with.
Speaker 2: You know, if I watch a comedian it's really good and I'm like, oh my god, I felt that it's just not how to say it like that right.
Speaker 1: One of the but I can't, I think, is I can't steal their joke.
Speaker 2: I'd love to, but it's like yeah, It's like sometimes somebody says something that you've been thinking that you just haven't been able to formulate in the.
Speaker 1: Exact and it's like, oh, that's it. That's super cool.
Speaker 2: Again, so much respect for a songwriter that goes that song speaks for me. I don't know, it doesn't need to be a song written by me. Yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: With your record? Now, Mike, where is this? Where's your song? You know where it is? Now? Is it? Is it on the chart? I mean it's like it's new, brand new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like seventy so but like how many how many weeks has it officially been? Isn't even being really worked yet? And I'm not in the music part of this world, so I'd have to be told. I would like, how are they feeling about it on that side?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's just everything's slow, is you know what I'm being told? You know, once we get through summer, you know, yeah, I do know that, Like there are some places that it's researching well already, So like I feel like once it gets to the place where everybody starts for searching it, that's at least this is what I'm being told.
Speaker 2: What do you mean to do because I think it's a great song. The problem that I get into there gets to be a point. And I don't really have any rules. I don't program music, but sometimes I just like a song and'll be like, I'm just gonna play it for a while, and I've had some decent success. But the where the issue for me gets when someone gets up to about forty thirty if I play it like on my radio show. And I haven't been in the music world for a bit, but I was like music director years ago, and like, I understand how the crap works, and trust me, it's a crap, not music. Just have the system, right, Yeah, If I play the song, it freaking spikes the crap out of it, and the next week if it doesn't meet that spike, everyone's like, oh god, the arrows down. So it puts me in this precarious situation sometimes because there are things that I really like and like to support, which is why I'm glad you're here, because I like the song a lots and I'm happy I like play it a little bit, but I never want to get to the point where it's like arrow up, arrow down.
Speaker 1: I don't know, what do you mean? To do you listen, dude, the fact that you're like cognizant of this and like and know that, like what that means for us, even when you do like a song, but you're still like, yeah, but I love this and I won't I don't want to hurt anyone percent. Bye.
Speaker 2: And that's like being a supporter because at times with the I will use the words and rely true the power that I have.
Speaker 1: Occasionally that can happen. Yeah right, yeah, So like what do you want because they're not you're really going to look at arrow is at seventy? Right?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, so I would like to play it a little bit? Would you like me to play it a little bit? Yeah? Okay, I mean yeah. And I think the reason that I say that is because I just want people to hear it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's because I think if people hear it, I think people should hear it too.
Speaker 1: But I never want to be like, oh, I guess so you screwed today. I'm like, dude, that wouldn't you wouldn't that would I would never think that. And it's also not thirties, And when it gets there.
Speaker 2: It gets to be different, right because then everyone's looking at arrows on charts, and if it's not trending upward, then people are looking for reasons to bail out of it.
Speaker 1: To have your parents got to come watch you play with Luke on the stadium. Yeah they've they've seen me a few times in a state, like in this old Stadium tour. Yeah, they came to Jacksonville, I think this year. But yeah, I mean, I mean, I can't say enough about them. I mean, if I play at the grand Ole operatly, no matter what's going on, they are there. They haven't missed and like growing up, they didn't miss a single show. And I think the hard part for them was like when they got to where they couldn't go to every show. I don't think that like kind of like bothered them a little bit. So anytime I play the grand Ole Oppery, they have not missed a single one of those. Even when I'm like like, y'all got stuff going on, you know what I mean, Like, uh, me and my wife we have a newborn month old baby at home, and came up for that. And then the very next Saturday, I was playing at the ground Operay and they came back up really and I was like, dang, drive it. Yeah, that's that's labor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, uh so, I got a couple of thoughts.
Speaker 2: One, let's just let's put it in the National count down, like made a note already, Okay, so we're gonna love that. Yeah, it'd be a big That's awesome, man. A bunch of countries do that too, like not America, other countries. I mean obviously other countries, but you know what I mean. Secondly, when you have your first artist number one, how beautiful would it be to play in that Arby's parking lot?
Speaker 1: Oh dude? As for as for social media content, like it's the greatest. That would be awesome because and it's not even so much about everybody from Nashville. In fact, the Arby's is in the parking lot of the kmart where I met round Clasco too. Same like little Spot fact could probably left out of the media. I clipped there, but so but but still, I like, how cool would that be? And you tell this, you know, it's like it was on American Idol for a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of years, and you know we do these packages or it's like this person, it's like they used to come and watch play and then you play to like.
Speaker 1: Your home would be legit. It would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Man, like social media legit content. You can't start thinking about it yet because you you'll jinx it. I gotta do it on a flatbed trailer though?
Speaker 1: Thing? Did he play a flatbed trailer? See?
Speaker 2: I would watch that content, and I don't watch a lot of content.
Speaker 1: The Bobby Cast will be right back.
Speaker 4: M hm, this is the Bobby Cast my TikTok?
Speaker 2: What do you you're on TikTok? I mean I know you're on it, but I mean do you do you spend time on it? Like watching it?
Speaker 1: Do what pops up in your algorithm? Oh? Like probably video game stuff? What do you call duty okay? Or Nascar? I'm a massive Nascar fann.
Speaker 2: Is nineties wrestling Wow, a bunch of I like to collect baseball cards, basketball cards, that's what That's what we did yesterday.
Speaker 1: We flew to Baltimore for a baseball card event. Let's see what's that? That's awesome?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well was it did just let you down? It wasn't what you were hoping it would be, or you didn't get what you may have gone to get a little bit of all that, like a prize possession you thought might be there, and it just wasn't there. There was no possession I was looking for. Gotcha.
Speaker 2: I'm going to keep it real with you here. I like talking with you, by the way, which is not often the case. It's not that I don't like talking to people, but there's some people I'm just like, Oh, this is cool. I'm having a good time hanging out. So yeah, I actually don't mind telling a couple.
Speaker 1: Of these stories. I bought a box of cards, like a big box of cards.
Speaker 2: Now my story grew very poor, had no money. Now I have money, and it's weird and awesome, and so I opened it up and it's amazing. We're going with I got a John F. Kennedy autograph in there, and it's like big, massive players and old players signed it is really cool box cards and there's an invitation on it, like the Willie Wonka Golden Ticket. It was really a golden ticket and a thing. So I'm like, I says, you come to this party. We're not gonna tell you when or where it is. And so I'm just like waiting for an email or something there say email of this at top. So I email it and then like a month later I get an email going, Okay, you are coming to this party.
Speaker 1: It's in Baltimore, it's on this day. It's at Camden Yards. Be here. It's just kind of like or not, but be there. So I'm like, it's gonna be awesome. You're gonna meet cal Riveken, the whole thing. Meet him. I'm like, make out with him whatever and so, and I'm pumped.
Speaker 2: And my best friend is Eddie, who's on my radio show, and we weren't a little comedy duo together to play music, and I don't want to go by myself. But there's no plus one. It's a it's a one. It's like it's like welly wonka. It's like you get one ticket. So I get on eBay and I buy I find a ticket, not cheap, find ticket, and I'm like, Eddie, let's go.
Speaker 1: So we flew right for the show.
Speaker 2: We flew up to Baltimore and we go and they're like they're not telling you where it is, and all they finally get email. It's like those celebrity weddings were like they don't tell you where they're getting married until everybody gets to a like a central location. Yeah, and so they're like it's this place, going this entrance at Camden Yards, and like, I'm so excited, and in the email it's like, must wear dress shoes, can't wear tennis shoes.
Speaker 1: Well, we didn't pack anything.
Speaker 2: We're literally in tennis shoes and like it said, we're button up, so we didn't and but we're another wrong shoes. So now we're having a debate going to Marshalls to buy some shoes just to get into this thing.
Speaker 1: We're like, screwt, We're not doing it.
Speaker 2: We go Luckily we didn't buy shoes because there're a few people in tennis shoes. We go up to this room and there's no air conditioning. There's like they only had like a one hundred of these boxes anyway, and it's like a bunch of us eating finger roll chips of hoys and nowhere. Condition waited for an hour to get put into the main room. And I'm like this Willy Walker sucks the elevator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what does she? Michael Mike like purple, how does she the grape? The blueber? Yeah, something like give me something to do like that. Where's the Chocolate River, Yes, yeah, chocolate River.
Speaker 2: And so finally they let us in and we go sit at these tables and they and they give us the food and we're eating and then they bring out and I thought it was going to be like Jeter or insert any super famous cal Ripken was one because we went to Baltimore and listen, athlete Rushman and a gun her Henters and are massive stars of the last three years. But I really thought it was. And then they started just going, all right, who wants to ask some questions? So they put her food down whatever, and I'm like, I don't really want to. They're like kids, but the great baseball players. But it's crazy as we get older, they stay the same. No, they're like twenty four, twenty six years old, and so I only have a question for them.
Speaker 1: I'm all good on a question.
Speaker 2: So I'm eating my meat and because I got beef, and so they're like and so I'm like, screw it, I'm gonna ask a question because ed Eddie's just like, ask a question, be funny and we'll record it for the show. And so they both were in the All Star Game this past like two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: I played in the Celebrity All Star Game. I won the MVP of the game.
Speaker 2: In the celebrity game, and I was gonna be like, as a fellow All Star and ask him a question, but be totally serious, to be a stupid because I was gonna be like, did you get to see my tape? You know from I played two days before? You probably saw all the tape. It never even came to me for a question.
Speaker 1: So we left. That was it. That was it. Tell me you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I should write a song about that. I should call it Baltimore Blues. Ooh, Baltimore or less Baltimore but less, Yeah, baltless Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Balton more or less. Yeah, I didn't Baltimore, but I don't know. I suck anyway. That's what I did yesterday. And so came back here.
Speaker 2: Almost canceled this because I was so sad, but then I'm glad you then it it was like Drue's a good guy, and I was like, all right, that's cool, that's cool. I'll do it then, But yeah, no, I like, so my algorithms a lot of baseball card stuff. But I collecked the cards as a kid then never really collected again, oh until like the last few years. And now I just I get obsessed with it. Everything if I get into anything, I have an obsession with it.
Speaker 1: Do you have that tendency at all? Oh? Yeah, If I commit to something, I'm like way in, like more than I should be, Like you're in. Like in twenty twenty, I bought like a NASCAR racing simulator and got like way into that. Can you compete online? Yeah? Yeah, that's cool and it's awesome because it's like legit competition. Does Caine have one of those? Uh think so you he was talking about like he hurt his hand or something? Was it Caine? Mike was telling me, I think one remembers so and he was saying, like you get in it and it's a it's legit. This is way more legitimate. But you get do you get tired driving it? Or is it? Like I would never commit to like probably those really long races. I mean you can do. I'm more like a maybe a fifty lapper kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Like I think if you make a really bad crash and ship like break your leg, like you should really commit like it would I.
Speaker 1: Mean the wheel is like the feedback in the wheel is like strong enough it could like take your risk. Could you be a race car driver? I've been told by some race car drivers that I would be all right, that's cool is that movie? I don't know that I have the balls to do that though, Like like on the thing, it's.
Speaker 2: Like fine, like the where you have to make it's like, okay, if we gotta go, we're gonna take the risk and go.
Speaker 1: Right, because I mean, like on the game is there's there's no punishment for wrecking, which is why they should like break your legs exactly, like to really make it count.
Speaker 5: At fire to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Have you driven a car? I have driven a race car. Yeah, it's cool. Yeah, it was good. I think I did like one hundred and sixty seven hours hard. Where did you do that? Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Speaker 2: There's a track here, And I went out and drove a long time ago Borchette's car.
Speaker 1: I don't even why.
Speaker 2: I don't even like driving car. I don't even drive in my car. And he's like, do you want to drive? And he put the suit on me, and I got a thing and I was flying. I was like, how fast was I going? He was like sixty two?
Speaker 1: But it just it was just hard to drive, like it was physically hard to drive. I thought, I was flying.
Speaker 2: I don't think I was even breaking the speed less when I was driving the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool. You have favorite driver. I really don't. I have drivers I don't like.
Speaker 2: We've had some come in on the show, and I don't know much about Nascar. I'm a massive sports guy and we do a sports a couple of different sports shows, but I don't know much about driving. Do you want to save the drivers you don't like because it doesn't mean you don't like them as a person, but you don't like who they are publicly.
Speaker 1: Right, You don't have to, don't. Yeah, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was doing his show once and I wish I knew that. Will you look up to Chris Hart show that I did or Kevin Hart show?
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: And there was a so I did a show and Kevin Kevin Hart was hosting it, and there was a race car driver I don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know who he was.
Speaker 2: And we're all on zooms in different places, like a trivia game. I think it was on Peacock or something. I didn't know who the guy was, and I didn't say I didn't know. I'm just so stupid with race car drivers and the camera comes on and I'm like just me. I'm like, god, d you got a huge house, Like, what in the world do you do for a living? I gotta say that, right, And he's got He doesn't know if I'm kidding or not, so he doesn't know to be insulted or not. That's great, And I'm about to find out who it is. If you, yeah, let me know, Mike, whenever you writ let you, I could guess who.
Speaker 1: Was go out on the name of the show. I'm trying to find whose house it was because he wasn't on the show with you.
Speaker 2: Right, he was current, right, we were competing against each other. And here's how I knew, because I didn't know if we were competing against other notables.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying famous. I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not famous. I'm like fractionally known. You have it, Okay, don't say it, yeah, don't say yet. How I knew he was somebody? His wife sat down and she was way hotter than him, and I was like, oh, big, hell is somebody like I knew he was somebody, Like who do you think it was?
Speaker 1: It didn't have the greatest person. I don't know him? Was it Denny Hamlin. No, but when, but when I would? I don't think I wanted to be his friend. After doing the show with him, I don't wait to know who this was now.
Speaker 2: Again this was this is his public He definitely could be awesome behind the scenes and we were competing against each other.
Speaker 1: But I remember going, I don't think I want to be his friend.
Speaker 2: Any other guesses you don't have to guess because it'll put you in the spot if you guess, and it's like somebody you don't like, you can say.
Speaker 1: No, I want to know, and then I want to react.
Speaker 5: Okay, go ahead, he's one of them, ye should That guy and I didn't hit it off very well, but again we were on computers and it just because he's.
Speaker 1: Kind of he's like the hit he's like the one of the heels of the sport so and definitely owns it. I just mentioned d yes, if he's a if he's a hill, some of that hill stuff could be on purpose in market that's so funny. Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: I remember I thought I was like, this guy, what in the world do is he because you know, he just wearing normal clothes and a button up and his shirt he got like his hair's combed, and I'm like, dang, you got columns because you can see the columns right in my mouth. I'm just like, you're making some money over there.
Speaker 1: Whatever did you do? And he I did.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe he thought I knew who he was, and I probably should have because he's way more known than I am. But I was just making a like, sayd some stuff, and that's what it was. And we had to beat I beat him. Yeah, yeah, it was a tribut killed him. Oh, I would be terrible. We've had some nice guys come in though to the show. I don't know any of their names. Yeah, Mike, you.
Speaker 1: Know the drivers have come in. Joey Logano.
Speaker 2: Joey Logano, I don't know if he's mean or not. You don't like him. He was super nice to me, really, because I have no It would be like if you know, Diamond Dallas Page or Roman Reigns or one of the wrestlers came in without knowing what their gimmick is.
Speaker 1: Joey Logano came in. It was super cool, and I was like, oh, wonder what people don't like him? And said my friends told me, Yeah, yeah, a lot of it was his style, his his uh he's like another Hill of the sport. Yeah yeah, yeah, which I like, I'm all four, yeah, you need him, you need but you don't have to like him, right, I just like rooting for the guy who they don't like.
Speaker 2: Give me another one. Ryan Blaney, Yeah he was.
Speaker 1: He was like chill, yeah, great dude. He was like eleven, yeah right, Rosney very young. Yeah. He was like, I got armpit hair today and we were like, what that's it? Yeah? Yeah, I don't know, but those guys are They're athletes, they are dude, They're work at the the way they have to work out, and they're it's insane. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I never really thought that until I got in the car went sixty two once and I was like, these guys are awesome. Camouflage cowboy is out. Love to leave and I'm gonna play it a little bit, but I'm not gonna play it a whole lot. I'm not gonna put it. I'm not gonna put it to number one, and then I'm gonna sit off of it a little bit. Because another cool thing that happens to is I don't know, I think we're on like two hundred and fifty stations and we're we have a nice little footprint as well where people will pay attention sometimes and maybe it helps too with people just going oh yeah, because sometimes it's just about getting stuff in front of people and they don't even know they like it yet.
Speaker 1: And that's that's why my answer to can you play it? Is yes, I just want people to hear it, and if it's ever like Bobby chill out, let me know, I wouldn't tell you that because I'm gonna cover it and put it out myself my own too.
Speaker 2: Please do I really enjoyed spending time with you, Drew, you too, man. You guys can follow Drew on Instagram. Mentioned it before Drew even came in, But it's Drew Parker plays Drew Parker. Being such a common name, you couldn't just get Drew Parker. Oh, I couldn't have.
Speaker 1: You tried to get it. And the guy that has it is like he always like comments on my stuff, and I think that maybe a long time controlling. That's hilarious. A long time ago. I tried to like get it from him. I think he's actually a fan.
Speaker 2: That's Kyle Busch, Like, yeah, yes, he's kind of was in trouble for no reason.
Speaker 1: Uh, if he's a fan, how many followers do you have?
Speaker 2: No, it'd be really cool if he's a fan, because you could give him a VIP experience and then trade it out for him. I don't think he's I don't think he's willing to do it. Uh, Drew Parker music dot com and then the same mistiktok. And the thing is with any of the social media platforms, now you must have the same name everywhere, even if Drew Parker existed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't go do it.
Speaker 2: I know I felt the same way because I could have got Bobby Bones and a couple but the people who wants to name those of Bobby Bones.
Speaker 1: It's a stupid name.
Speaker 2: But there were a couple of people that were using it, and so I had to be mister Bobby Bones so universally and mister Bobby But I feel so like adult mister acknowledge my misterness where I wish it were just like at Bobby Bones at Drew Parker plays. And I'm looking forward to seeing the success of the song. I love the story. I have two stories that I loved, and then we'll end on this. I love the story of you're writing this song and kind of the emotional and mental anguish that you had to go through because you believed in it so much, you had to take a step back to hopefully take four forward. And sometimes, and a lot of times, that's really the hardest part about what anyone has to do, because again, you get to just made your money and going this.
Speaker 1: This life is full of the music. Life is full of crazy decisions that you gotta make, and like weighing what you're going to do, and.
Speaker 2: Then I love that you said I'm gonna have a number one and I'm gonna quit the next day, and your boss is awesome, and then you got to play in the Army's parking line when it goes on.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, uh, good to see you, Drew, you too, males as having me.
Speaker 2: We decided to put this at the end of the podcast because we get into sports pretty heavily. This actually happened earlier in and Mike and I had to talk after and we were like, if people don't like sports and they just love country music, they're gonna be kind of bored by this part. But I also think this is why Drew and I kind of hit it off so quick. Yeah, because we're both big sports guys. So if you didn't want to hear that, you can listen to it. Now here is Drew Parker and I just talk in sports.
Speaker 1: Did you think you would be a ballplayer? I mean it was a as a kid. Yeah. I wanted to what was the age where you realized you weren't going to be a ball player? Senior year of high school?
Speaker 2: I asked, because you're I look at you and think former athlete. Oh thanks, You're welcome to the compliment. Yeah, And because there are guys like you that are annoying to me because you're like really good at what you do and you used to be good athletes.
Speaker 1: So it's like I just.
Speaker 2: Don't like that because I wasn't really either. It was a fine athlete and really wasn't good at what I was doing then, but like you come across as an Athlete's why I was asking, like the sports stuff. Do you ever get out and just go like hnny balls?
Speaker 1: Um? Not really? I mean I like, I love to play golf, now do you need to compete? Oh? Yeah, man, me too? You play pickball? Do you ever play pickball? No? I never have? You probably pretty good. I mean i'd whoop be it, but only because I've been paying a while. But then you catch up, right, Yeah, I mean I'll definitely. That's something that I've watched and been like, I think I could do that. Yeah, like basketball is too that's too crazy for me. Basketball. I'll listen to this. Do you ever get you get hurt? Howll do you? I'm thirty two, You're not there yet? Do I get? Well? You're not there yet. It doesn't matter what you said. You sleep in the shower this morning. My back's hurting.
Speaker 2: You're you're inching on being in that level. About thirty six is when things start to just you don't need to do much to injure it, but then it doesn't heal back the same. You got about three or four really good years in you. Yeah, like about thirty six thirty sevens when I just didn't heal anymore and I just signed up for like a two day thirty and up University of Arkansas basketball like camp where you go two days with like coach col Well, I don't eve play basketball, but I was like.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Like it's just it's just stupid stuff.
Speaker 2: Or I know I'm gonna come back, and so you feel like you're gonna have to prepare for that, like go get in shape for that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I have more feel I will dedicate my life to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I went and played in the Major League Baseball, like the celebrity All Star Game this year, and so I joined a softball league just so I could get ready for the one game.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. And you know what, you know what happened to your boy? You want MVP at the whole game. Let's go, dude. That's right.
Speaker 2: Like three weeks ago, I dedicated to my my softball team. See, but now everything still hurts and it's been like three weeks. Yeah, so you look like an athlete. You're from the South. I figured you played some ball. Were you a big Braves fan?
Speaker 1: Massive? Yeah? I was like, who were your guys? I mean, I'm a like Chipper Jones, Chippery Greg Maddox, Andrew Jones.
Speaker 2: I was a big Cups fan. I'm a little older than you, Suvemember when he played for the Cubs. Right, did you follow baseball religiously?
Speaker 1: I do? Yeah. I went to sid Yeah, I went to Houston on the Braves won the World Series A.
Speaker 2: Couple years ago, I went to I'm a big Cubs fan. We won the World Series of Cleveland. I went and watch us play Cleveland game too, and lost. Its terrible. We'll just geek out on sports for a second because I have a lot of stuff. Talk to you about music, Leyeah, like I like it when somebody likes to talk about things I like talk about right, and mostly it's like write a song.
Speaker 1: Number one.
Speaker 2: Went to watch the Cubs. Cubs famial whole life. We sucked. At least you guys went to like a lot of nlcs and a lot even when you were not winning World Series.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. Yeah, at least you were close. We sucked my whole life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we go to Cleveland and we lose, and it's brutal. This is twenty sixteen. When'd you move here? Twenty fifteen? Okay, I remember this, Yeah, I remember seeing you. I remember like that guy's been here one year. I said that about you when I saw you on the street. Think he's been one one year. The CMA's were happening that year, and it was the first time I'd ever been in Vine. I did to be on the show as a presenter. I just beg for anybody to give me a shot on television. I'd been doing a lot of local stuff and like cable stuff and you'll appreciate this being a baseball fan. And the CMAS finally said, hey, why don't you come present on the CMAS. And I'm like, let's go. Finally somebody accepts me for what I really am. A true talent. That's what I remember, the true talent that I am. And it was Game seven, Cubs in Indians same night I turned down the CMAS. I was like, I'm not, I can't. I'm awaited my whole life. So I did not go to the CMAS. It was my first time my national television did not And so that game was Game seven, it went to extra innings, it rained away. Thank god the Cubs won or would have been one of the worst decisions in my life. Yeah, it was a tough one, but there was no way I was going to miss.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 2: You guys just want another one recently for you, like three.
Speaker 1: Years ago, two years ago, Yeah, twenty twenty one, you went. That's when I went, Yeah, what did you go to? Set? Did you go to? The final game? Was the last game we wanted in Houston. I mean, it was every childhood dream that I've I mean just culminated right there in Houston, Texas. Do you meet you met those guys? Have you ever met Chippert? I've never met Chipper. I've met one Brave in my life or no too, Ryan Klesko back in the day, he lived in Covington. Awesome, he lived in Covington. And so I've seen him in the Kmart parking lot. So you met him in the parking lot, not even like any games, No, it was like Kmart parking lot in Covington. Did you stop him? Yeah, you get an autographing I did somewhere. Big guy, Yeah, really big guy. And then there's a few of the current players I have met and you just said one. You said a few, Well, I just I've met aj Mintor he's a pitcher. Yeah, but you know a few of the other ones. Yeah. Yeah, was in Baltimore yesterday.
Speaker 2: And Adley Rushman and Gunner Henderson were doing anything and they're ballers now, And I thought I was gonna be cal Ripkin.
Speaker 1: It's not. I know, days are going.
Speaker 2: We flew up there and thought cal Ripkin was gonna be speaking, and it's cool. Those two guys are legit ball players now right, But I thought I was gonna be cal ripkin.
Speaker 1: I was a little disappointing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So other than that, I'm done talking about sports. But I'm happy to know if you like sports.
Speaker 1: I do. I love sports. How good a golfer? Are you terrible? I'm serious? What do you consider terrible? Then? Can you break ninety? Yeah? Okay, you're right, you're good. You're pretty goading. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Some of these guys here annoyt because they played to play a lot, and they play a lot on the road. Oh yeah, some of them even like Luke, you know, take somebody out with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Uh. I mean I've gotten better if if I if I were able to play more often, yeah, you know, I think I could get better. I mean I have shot like in the low eighties and high seventies like once. You've broken eighty one time, like one time, and I don't even know ever broke And I've played longer than you. Yeaha keep rubbing it in, firshould be cluscal at Kmart. Now you broke eighty.
Speaker 3: God, dang dude, thanks for listening to a Bobby cast production.