Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's gotta be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Chris crisodis ipsis christode is welcome to it could happen here, a podcast where the only person who actually took Latin in high school isn't here leading me to do this Latin bit. I'm your host, Mia Wong, and with me is Garrison. Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm not gonna try to speak Latin because if I did, it'd be some like weird like esoteric incantation and then it would open up a whole other canet worms.
Speaker 2: So you know, this is this is this is the most the most well known Latin. That's probably not the most well known Latin is probably some bullshit from like Latin mass or something. But one of the more well known Latins, which is who watches the Watchmen Roughly it's not the test. The popular translation is who watches the watchmen? And by that I mean we are asking the question who ensures that the American Supreme Court does not just sort of collapse into a ball of pure corruption.
Speaker 3: And the answer was nobody. So true, I always trust in the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: I learned.
Speaker 2: I learned that we pay these people two hundred and eighty five thousand dollars a year, Like we pay them two hundred eighty five thousand dollars to like take our rights away.
Speaker 3: This is just insane. Well, why why do we do this? It's uh, well, I mean this is a very clear reason why we do this. Actually that maintains the semblance of order and civility. Yes, however, coma deeply fractured however, Comma, this.
Speaker 2: Is coming apart because these stupid assholes can't even maintain the veneer of not being like the most corrupt people in the history of mankind. So we're coming off of like two, I mean not it. There wasn't really a potential for this, this this session of the Court to be as bad as like last year's one where they killed row, but they killed affirmative action and they also did this really really.
Speaker 1: Just sort of.
Speaker 3: Really weird ruling on queer stuff and the business's right to discriminate and choose the business's rights to choose how to use their creative expression, which has resulted in a bunch of really funny things. I saw this morning. Actually, there was this hair salon who was refer to serve LGBTQ clients, which now all of like all of like the suppliers for the hair salon are no longer sending orders to the hair saloon because they're also allowed to discriminate from this hair salod because of the same ruleing. So it's creating all these really complicated like supply chain things with businesses choosing to be really homophobic and queerophobic and then like type of like a supplier is just not then just not giving these businesses the supplies they need to operate their business, which is pretty funny.
Speaker 2: It's really amazing too. So the other thing about this is like this is the actual ruling where like any pretense that this is like a functional court was just sort of thrown out the window because Okay, so one of the one of the like the fundamental principles of and this is like one of the fundamental principles of the common law legal system, right of the legal system that not only the US is based off of, but like you know, I mean, like like literally, we're talking like like hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years of history that pre date the American system arguably can trace us back to the Roman system. One of the things that's fundamentally based on is that you cannot try a case on a hypothetical. Something has to something has to actually happen for you to have a case, And this case has just thrown that shit out the window.
Speaker 3: So what this case was is there's this.
Speaker 2: Woman who supposedly is a wedding wedding website designer, and we'll get back to that in a second, because oh boy, uh just straight up lied to the court and claimed that a guy had requested her make a wedding website for a gay wedding. And this never happens, right, this like did not happen. The journalist like tracked down the guy who she said had like requested a website, and that guy is a straight b had already been married, and she is a web designer.
Speaker 3: The whole the whole story is was just a fake.
Speaker 2: I think I think like that's that's that's the part of the story that I think got the most pressed. But the part of the story that thinks like funnier is that she's not actually a wedding website designer. This entire case, she set up this entire site. What appears to have happened, She's not wedding website designer now, right. What appears to have happened is that she and like this sort of like one of the one of the sort of right wing like legal networks got together and cobbled together this business like specifically so they could get this ruling.
Speaker 3: So which which which seems like that should be a like illegal It's this sounds it sounds like legal Fraudust should be on trial.
Speaker 2: For perjury right now. Her lawyers should also be like her lawyers and her lied under oath multiple times to multiple different courts. Like yes, what we're seeing here, right is the sort of like thin legal veneer of it has always been sort of over the Supreme Court that's supposed to make it seem legitimate.
Speaker 1: It's just sort of like unraveling.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, so if if you if you if you think that makes the Supreme Court like like look illegitimate.
Speaker 3: Wait do we get to the corruption.
Speaker 2: This is the real reason we're doing this episode because oh my God, Jesus Christ, this is I oh God. Then you know the thing I really learned from this is I didn't understand how rich Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: Justices are, like Clarence Thomas.
Speaker 2: And in all of the pieces about Clarence Thomas, right, it starts with like he is like the poorest of Supreme Court justices and his family makes eight hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 3: It's like that seems like a lot of money. What are you even talking about?
Speaker 2: Like, So, in terms of the sort of corruption stuff that's been happening, there's been a bunch of uh, there's a bunch of research down by Republica into a bunch of just like incredibly shady and corrupt things that a bunch of Supreme Court justices are doing. So we're gonna start with bastard's podlum, Clarence Thomas. So one of Thomas's close friends is this real estate mogul named Harlan Crowe, and he Harlan Crowe sucks ass. He and Harlan Crowe sounds.
Speaker 3: Like what you would name like some like weird, like rich villain and like a pulpy seventies like mystery novel.
Speaker 2: I I don't did you see when what like when people figured out who this guy was and it went around on Twitter. No oh, I'm so excited for you. Okay, this this is gonna be great. So okay, So, so Harley Crowe is he's one of the country's largest landlords.
Speaker 3: He has like he's a.
Speaker 2: Portfolio of twenty nine billion dollars of assets. He he owns property used like all over the US. He also okay, so he has a giant mansion, right, and in his giant mansion is a bunch of Nazi memorabilia, including an autographed copy of this this guy.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, now that now that you mentioned the Nazi now so, so he he has the.
Speaker 2: Things that like stereotypically you would assume that like a like a Nazi para familiar guy has, right, Like he has like he has that sign, an autogap copy of my com He has like a bunch of pictures that were drawn by a bunch of like actual paintings that were drawn by Hitler. But he also has weird ship like something I've never seen before. Like he has like this these sets of like napkins that just have swastikas on them because they were like official Nazi napkins.
Speaker 3: I feel like we probably shouldn't, like we can even keep one copy of these, and like the Holocaust Museum and the rest of this stuff should be like burned, right, like we shouldn't. Yeah, we shouldn't really have them to this tough line around.
Speaker 2: You know, Like Okay, so I'm gonna circle back to this because I think there's one there's another piece of context that we need to get you. He also has this thing called this he has he is this thing he calls the Garden of Evil, which is this like garden of statues of the garden he calls evil. Yes, And it's a it's a statue guarded behind his house that has like a bunch of like statues of dictators. They're like almost all communists. He really hates Tito for some reason.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, she's a billionaire, obviously, Like this is why he hates Tito. But I funny thing is, it's like almost all it's like almost entirely communist, Like there's no like Mussolini or anything.
Speaker 3: It's like it's all communists.
Speaker 2: There's no Mussolini. What No, No, there's like there's there's a host name Ubarick, and then there's one of what what's the guy's name? I don't remember his name, princess the guy who shot our Streek Ferdinand, which is weird because that guy was not he wasn't he wasn't evil. No, well, that's I will not. I refuse to take a position on that. I'm like, that's not my position. My position, like he's a dictator. Oh yeah, that's like on the level of like evil on a dictator level, Like he's not He's no mau he's no Hitler, Like come on, like he also like again, he is not a dictator. He was just some fucking random guy like the guy you kill our streak furnite Like okay, baffling stuff, but but okay, the important thing about this.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, first of who would be your first five statues in your own garden of evil garden?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this is this is gonna be very biased because I'm ranking this by people I have personal grudges against.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, so if you're doing personal grudges the entire year air to one U C C. I, Uh, what the fuck is his name?
Speaker 3: Paul Volker?
Speaker 2: Who else do I have? Who else do I have a personal grudge against? Who's a dictator? Mohammed ben somebon because he bought my fucking StarCraft league?
Speaker 3: What the fuck are you talking about on that one day? Okay, well, well we'll put what we'll put. We'll put MAUT number five. Fair, fair, Okay, now.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the reason the reason I bring up the the the the the Garden of Evil, right is that. Okay, so he has like a thing where he puts all the stuff from the evil dictators, but then all of the notazi stuff is just like randomly strewed about his house.
Speaker 3: Like his living quarters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like like they'll just don't be paintings by like actually he has like bush painting seals hill paintings would be like bush, they'll be like like a renoir and then they'll just be a Hitler painting.
Speaker 3: It's like he's this guy.
Speaker 2: All of his friends would because this guy has like a bunch of like right, because he's one of the guys all would be like this man is not a Nazi, and I'm like, I he hasn't he has. I don't know, man, Like, there are not many non Nazi reasons why you would have like multiple of Hitler's paintings hanging on your wall and also the signed autograph copy of.
Speaker 3: I just want to remind myself that there's evil in the world, you know. Okay, Okay, this gets me pissed off.
Speaker 5: So my my.
Speaker 2: One of my grandpa's I took took a took a Nazi sword off a dead officer and like brought it home from the war and it should be like and we like still have Ituse what the fuck are you supposed to do with that? Right? So like that that's like we we have one of those, right, But like we didn't take an autographed copy of my cough. We fucking killed a Nazi officer and took it from him. Like if we're gonna do this, you have to do it correctly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But this guy, this guy, okay, oh, so she gets really really he's like unfathomably mad that people wear shake of our shirts.
Speaker 3: Like she's mean, me too, mad me too of our shirt.
Speaker 2: I'm usually not most almost circling back around on it just because it makes this guy so mad. Like this guy in particular appears to be worse most of the take of our shirts I've seen are sold by disgraced white disgrace the right wing commentator Stephen Crowder. So, oh god, what the na we we we we've we've truly entered hell world now, Uh okay, So why why why am I talking about Harlan Crow partially because he's really.
Speaker 3: Funny, doesn't it doesn't he like give a lot of money to like certain people.
Speaker 2: So okay, we're we're Yeah. So she he's one of the people who runs a really really extensive network of sort of like this like right wing like think tank dark money network that you know, buys judges, like pays for people's legal careers. And he's also very close friends with Clarence Thomas. And so I'm gonna just run through all of the ship that he's like all of these just like incredible corruption that he's doing. So okay, so I'm gonna start with like this is like this is like like the level one corruption, which is so Crow bought Clarence Thomas's mom's house and then did quote tens of thousands of dollars of improvements to the home, and he seems to have bought the house for like significantly above market rate. And so this is this is a this is I'm gonna, I'm gonna we're gonna do it. We're gonna do a corruption anatomy here because this is a classic Chicago, uh corruption scam. So there there's like there's like six revenue streams in this. Right, you have the money from the sale, which goes to like you know that that that that's that's like that's your level one bribe, right is you're selling, you're selling, you know, you're you're selling your house to someone at above market value. The level two bribe is, uh, you're not. You're now throwing in the renovations because his mom is still living in this house.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh so this is like it's like actual bribery.
Speaker 2: Huh oh yeah, yeah, this is and again this is like the mild stuff. So that that level level two is you get that, you know, Okay, so now now you have the contractors, and the contractors allow you to throw in more money into the bribe because you're now you're now doing all this renovation work like for free.
Speaker 3: The level three of the bribes is that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now now once you once you have a renovation contract, you now have a contract that pays out money and you can and use that to like reward your political allies. And so this is this is this is a classic like absolutely classic like Chicago like payoff scheme. Now the other thing that's so so Harlan was contacted about this and she claims that he's buying this house because he wants to preserve it for posterity because Clarence Thomas lived there, m sure, which, like she is very weird. She did give one hundred thousand dollars to Harvard to buy a portrait of like to get them to hang up a portrait of Clarence Thomas, so you know he is a deeply weird guy. But this, uh, this.
Speaker 3: Reeks of.
Speaker 2: Of oh boy, now yes, yes, WELLBLIC like ProPublica points out also that they they bought two random vacant lots in the area from Thomas for like unclear reasons. And you now you can also you can also ask why does Supreme Court Justice like own a bunch of random vacant lots? And the answer to this question is that these people are part of the real warsoisi they are like they they they are like as alien to us lstate scamming, right, this is like yeah, like basically yeah, like they're they're they're they're they're doing stuff, like they do stuff with their money that like makes them like like they they are like as dissimilar to us as like we are from like a fucking Neanderthal. Like these people, like the way they think about money, the way they like just like the way they act in the world, the way they relate to other people, like the fact that they're just buying random fucking lots like across the street from their parents' house, like why who knows? And and Okay, so the thing that's very important about this right is if you you know, okay, everyone in the government right from like starting from every core that is below the Supreme Court down to like a fucking astronomer who works for a national lab If you receive a like a large gift over five hundred dollars, you have to report it to the government, and there's like an ethics process you have to go through.
Speaker 3: And this the standard.
Speaker 2: And again, this is the standard that holds from like like the fucking President of the United States down to again like a random astronomer. They are not allowed to have to do anything that has quote even the appearance of impropriety. Now do you want to do you want to know who these standards don't apply to just the Supreme Course, yep, does not apply to them. They had There's only one thing they have to do, right and aga again this amazing Like so again everyone else has actual enforceable ethics standards the Supreme Court has. You have to report it. It doesn't have to go through an axcess commission. You just have to report it.
Speaker 3: And yeah, do you do you?
Speaker 2: I'll give you three guesses as to how much of any of the ship that I just talked about that clear as Thomas reported.
Speaker 5: Probably none of a nope, absolutely not zero, zero of it, like you over one hundred thousand, probably like one hundred and fifty thousand dollars of bullshit, no reporting at all.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the cops are gonna go arrest him for all.
Speaker 2: These crimes, right, yeah, yeah, right at any day now.
Speaker 3: Uh huh yeah, yeah, it's gonna be busting down his door now that we've cracked this one wide open.
Speaker 2: A Okay, do you do you know who else is? And I am not joking legitimately is bound by significantly stricter i ethic ethics regulations than the Supreme Court. It's the plugging these products and services. I SEC advertising guidelines that we have to follow.
Speaker 5: I am a podcaster every few months and guidelines of the Supreme every few months.
Speaker 3: We have to take like a like a ten minute training that just basically just plugs into our brains and uh it downloads all of these like terms and conditions that we then just robotically need to enforce. So yeah, do you know who else com it's fraud? Were legally not let I say that these products and services Oo it's okay, Well I'm gonna have to do another one of those FCC trainings after this. Well, well.
Speaker 2: Crime crime is just legal now like this this is what I'm getting at on this free court stuff. So all right, I started with this housing scam because A It's like, okay, this is this is like this is like a classic level scam. Bbe this is because this is like absolute brush league shit compared to like everything else that's about to happen.
Speaker 3: Here are you telling me this is? This is this is gonna get worse.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so all right, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna start reading this from pro publica because I don't I cannot think of a funnier way to just do this. In late June twenty nineteen, right after the US Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, just as Clarence Thomas bored in a lar private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on a vacation nine days of island hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a super yacht staff by a coterie of attendance and a private chef. If Thomas had chartered the plane in the one hundred and sixty two foot yachts himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded five hundred thousand dollars. Fortunately for him, that wasn't necessary. He was on vacation with real estate mogul and Republican mega donor Harlan Klohe, who owned the jet and the yacht too.
Speaker 3: Ah, I see this just sounds like a friendly vacation, right. I need to read.
Speaker 2: Another another like really just genuinely from one of the most brutal polls I've ever seen anyone do is later on this Republic article quote. In Thomas's public appearances over the years, he has presented himself as an everyman with modest tastes. I don't have a problem with going to Europe, but I prefer the United States, and I prefer seeing the regular parts of the United States, Thomas said in a recent interview for a documentary about his life, which Crow helped finance. I prefer the RV parks. I prefer the Walmart parking lots to the beaches and things like that. There's something normal about.
Speaker 3: It, doubt doubt.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's gonna be getting a charteredy oats all the Walmart parking lots. Honestly, I don't really see that one happening five hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: And the thing about this, it seems like he does something like this every fucking year, Like because I wish I.
Speaker 3: Could take I wish I could take a Supreme Court justice out to the open waters of the sea about once a year. You know, wouldn't that be fun for everybody involved?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, here's the thing. We're gonna have to pull our money into rent the submarine.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: But we look, we will persevere, we will achieve submarine. There's no laws on the ocean International waters.
Speaker 3: Baby is legal.
Speaker 2: Ass As are regrettably off doing actual journalism. Colleague James constantly reminds us it is legal for him to fight the seal.
Speaker 3: International waters, just as legal as me disparaging all of our advertisers.
Speaker 2: So all right, you know, okay, So like obviously what is happening, Like Harlan Crowe, like this is a level of like bribery where it's like the wheels kind of fall off of the word bribery because like, how do you even I don't know, I don't even I don't have a way to adequately.
Speaker 1: Describe what this is.
Speaker 2: What I'm going to do instead is to remind everyone that Thomas was one of the justices who decided Citizens United in the twenty ten case that made it legal to bribe politicians through campaign donations and allowed corporations to directly involve themselves in legal campaigns, League leading like directly to the hellhole we now I'll live in now once again, Thomas was required to report this as a gift to the government, and he simply did not. And you know, this is one of those things where okay, so like if a normal person does this right in the governments, you would take them to court. But we've now returned to our problem of who watches the watchers because it's Supreme Court, right, they've established themselves as a dictatorial ruling council based on a power grab. And you know, I'm gonna do my the Supreme Court rant I do every time. But the Supreme Court does not have the power of judicial review. They do not have the power to strike down laws. They don't have it. They fucking get vened it out of whole cloth in eighteen o two. It doesn't exist, it's not it's never been real. You can just fucking ignore them. But in the meantime, while everyone believes it it's real, they get to do this bullshit. And you know, so, yeah, so that that Indonesia trip is like the big one that we know of. He took another one to like Moscow and another. But the other thing that that see he seems to have been doing a lot is basically like he like just uses Harlan Crowe's private jet as like his own jet republica calculated that like one just like one flight that he took in twenty sixteen would have cost seventy thousand dollars, which is more than I make in a fucking year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why why why did that cost so much?
Speaker 2: It's really expensive to to to lease those kind of like that specific kind of private jet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, if it's for a whole private jet, that makes sense. Yeah, I say, likely wouldn't least a whole private jet. But I'm just built different, well I did.
Speaker 2: Clarence Thomas has built even more different because instead of leasing it, he just has a friend who has the jet who just lets him take this Like like one of the Republicans doings, they were just tracking the jet and they they they could match the jet showing up to the airport where Clarence Thomas was gonna be, and then and the jet would mysteriously then appear in a location where Clarence Thomas appeared, and it was like hmm, and and this whole thing we should specifically know. So okay, the reason the Supreme Court has to do any of this at all is that the stream is that like someone finally had a good idea right after Watergate that was like we should actually make everyone in the government disclose their gifts and this and this law actually like included the Streame Court, although I feel like it won't in like two years when they strike that law down or some shit. But you know, but again, like one of the things that like specifically in this law is if you take a private jet, you have to report it. And Thomas has been just like jetting out in this fucking jet for like a like many like at least like at least seven years that we know of, and has never reported it.
Speaker 3: So let's let's I'm sure the FBI is going to be busting down his doors any day now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And again, like, let let less you unless you think we've reached the end of the Clara's Thomas corruption crow. Also like, okay, so you know how Claire's Thomas's wife is like a qan On person and tried to overstow the government. Yes, so she has like a she has like a like a it's like a basically bullshit like political lobbying group. But it's like so it's a lobbying group, but like the actual thing that it does is reverse lobbying, which is you can go to the lobbying group and use it for like to get access to Clarence Thomas, and that group funded. God, I didn't write down the number of mount like that group got like two hundred thousand dollars that again, his wife works for got like two hundred thousand dollars from crow.
Speaker 3: There was another story that which which just now, I'm no a lawyer. These are not actual. These these are these claims have no basis. This is just an uneducated opinion. But to me, if I saw this in a movie, I would call this money laundering.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, like, oh god, okay, so what literally, just let me just go to the next one, because there's fucking more.
Speaker 3: There's more. There's like so.
Speaker 2: All right, Clarence Thomas has like a grandnephew that he like adopted as his son. Basically like he like went to the family of this kid. It was like, I can give this kid everything in the world, so you should like give him to me. I'm sure this is all above board. I I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is uh what about this man has proved to you that he's untrustworthy? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Okay to me? Fair Claras Thomas makes the argument that like He did this because, like he was abandoned by his father as a kid and was raised by his grandfather. So he was like, Okay, I'm gonna raise this kid like I'm gonna steal his better life.
Speaker 3: His parents need to have a grid to. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I you you you can you can read into that the level of sketchiness that you want to. The part that I'm gonna I want to talk about is that this kid. Okay, so a thing, a thing that I didn't understand until I got to like college, is that, like, Okay, so like I knew intellectually that private schools existed, I did not understand that private schools there are like like there's like because I was used to like like Christian private schools, right, yeah, yeah, I did not, Like I didn't like get how rich people could be, and I didn't understand that that they were. Like I I like, walk in there and there's like nine kids who all speak Latin and every single one of them went to a private school that was like fifty at least fifty like somewhere between fifteen and one hundred thousand dollars a quarter. Yeah, is like what the fuck? What the shit so Clarace Thomas isn't so his the schools he's going to aren't quite that expensive, but the kid, the ones he sends this, this kid to, So for two years, the estimate is that it was one hundred and fifty thousand dollars per year. That was for two years, so seventy five thousand dollars a year, which again more than I make it a year.
Speaker 3: That's reasonable, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 2: That is more. That is more than like that is more expensive than my fucking college. That is more expensive.
Speaker 6: Like I like that.
Speaker 3: It is. It is a ludicrous amoss money. And guess who paid that. I'm guessing Harlan Krumb. This is why I don't. It's gonna just gonna pick it, just gonna pick, like a random name off the top of my head. This Hitler's number one fan, hard and crouded.
Speaker 2: It's so amazing because like again, all of these people have this, Like every single like conservative, like every conservative journalist, like every conservative judge and every conservative politician are.
Speaker 3: They all have one of these guys? Yeah, well it's this guy. This is the guy and so and every so like everything like the Koch Brothers fund a whole bunch of like content creators. Like but yeah, every almost every big like right wing dude has one of these guys, which is totally unfair because the entire left has to share one of these guys. We only get one, and he has to fund everything on the left. Meanwhile, the right has like has like a dime a dozen of these, you know, like like well.
Speaker 2: Legitimately, like like this was actually legitimately the thing that caused Soros to get into politics. You looked at us and he was like, what the fuck is going on? Like this is insane?
Speaker 3: Like why what? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Like the American Enterprise Institute just like creates Supreme Court justice. It's like what and you know, but like so, but the funniest part about this is again, whenever any of these pieces come out, like every single conservative like pundits like in Unison and like like all of their fucking newspapers, all of their magazines, they're all funded by these people, so they all like published like identical things going like how dare you criticize like the noble friendship of hard of this billionaire and the Supreme Court justice or just pals. They're just extending hospitality like you would to any other friend by taking them on a half a million dollar cruise around on your yacht. It's it's it's it's like incredible stuff. All right, we should do we should we should do one more ads because you know who's These are advertisements that we are being paid to promote.
Speaker 3: These are not our personal opinions, these are these are ads.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: I followed the SEC guidelines. Here's the fucking ads, and we're back, totally totally not gonna get in trouble for that one.
Speaker 2: Let let lest you think, and I kind of emphasize this enough. This is something that was like when these stories first started coming out, the way it was framed was like like Clarence Thomas is like a uniquely corrupt Supreme Court justice. And then people did literally any digging, and it turns out that Clarence Thomas is not a uniquely corrupt Supreme Court like all of the like Supreme Court legal justice like experts were like, this is like a unique situation the history of the court. And then like like literally two months later, so Samuel Alito, who is another Supreme Court justice, I in and this isn't. This is in two thousand and seven, appears on a a two hundred thousand dollars fishing trip in Alaska with a billionaire hedge fund manager, Paul Singer, who is Singer is like one of the most like Okay, as much as I don't like Carlan Crowe, like, Singer is like one of the most evil people who's ever lived.
Speaker 3: Do you know who Singer is? No, but I'm sure this opinion is is singers same opinion as all of our advertisers.
Speaker 2: Probably our advertisers probably don't like him. It would not surprise me. So Singer is just like incredibly unbelievably relentlessly aggressive like hedge fund guy, and his thing is he like goes into companies and like like makes really embarrassing like slideshows about their CEOs and then like deposes them and then takes them over and the trip's then for assets and sells them all. So that's like the one that's like one thing that he does. The other thing that he's cool, Well yeah, I mean it sucks because like every single person who would work, they lose their drop. But this that's the less bad thing that he does, right, Like like this this is what I'm talking like, this is like legitimate one of the worst people in the world, like for like any norm like Mitt Romney, right, like that was the worst shit that he ever did. Was was like just destroying a bunch of people's lives by like annihilating these companies. For Singer, that's like that's like the fuck, that's the bullshit stuff like that. That's like that's the fucking brush league shit. Singer's actual game is so one of the things that happens over the course of the seventies and eighties is you get a bunch of uh I've talked about this at length of my Neylberalist and episodes, But you get a bunch of these economies that basically like across the global South that just implode. And they implode because there's this combination of like commodity prices drop and then they have all these adjustable rate like loans that they're taken out and when Paul Volker hot like hikes interest rates, all of these like loans suddenly have like twenty percent interest, And so you have all these economies all over the world that just fucking are imploding because they suddenly have this like unbelievable that they can't pay off, and so over the course of the nineties, this kind of like anti IMF revolts starts and I have the International Monetary Fund are the people who you're borrowing money from who also destroy your economy to like you know, like pay the IMF back the money. By the time you get into like the two thousands, it's gotten less bad. Well, I guess bad again, tails Nate. But there had been this process of debt restructuring where these countries were allowed to like only pay like a small percentage of the debt because they just literally couldn't pay it because their economies have been destroyed. Or and this is another very common thing. You get a country where like a bunch of loans were taken out by like a dictator and he would just like buy planes with them and then he get deposed. But you know, the IMF and like the World Bank was still hold them liable for the loans. And it's like, well, okay, like that's like the money's gone right, Like it's in like a bunch of gold bars. This guy like drove across the border when he like fled.
Speaker 3: Singer.
Speaker 2: Singer is like the last guy who really goes in for like to buy this debt and the result is this, So, for example, like he buys a bunch of the debt of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the result of this is that he turns like the entire Congoese economy into this debt servicing machine. We're like just like every like there's they're like they're they're there's they're stripping the copper wires out of the buildings in order to like fucking pay for oh metaphorically, so metaphorically they are stripping the copper wires to pay this debt off. Uh, not metaphorically, they are taking food from the mouths of babies, because the way this stuff is paid for is they cut a bunch of government assistance programs and they're like, you know, they don't build fucking hospitals, they don't staff hospitals, and so like a lot, Like he has killed a lot of people, and his his most famous version of this was this battle that he waged against Argentina. So in in two thousand and one, there is this massive like basically like the last twentieth century, like the last twentieth century, communist revolution happens in Argentina in two thousand and one, and they lose, but it's they they lose like pretty it like only pretty narrowly doesn't work. Like there is a there is a timeline that is not that different from this one, where like like a bunch of anarchists basically have taking control of Argentina, and the result of this is that Argentina defaults on its debt, and you know, they default in this debt, so they enter this restructuring program, and all of the rest of the like people who are like holding this debt are like, okay, well, in order to let the Argentina economy recover and get like some of this money back, we'll just like let like okay, well, we'll like write off most of our debt. But Singer like looks at this and is like, oh shit, I'm just gonna buy all this debt that I know is junk and can't be repaid, and then I'm gonna go to the courts in the US and like just force Argentina to repay it. Now he sees not how debt is supposed to work.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: The thing about debt, right, the thing about like lending someone money or you know, this is what essentially what buying someone's debt is right. The thing about that, right is if the person can't pay you back you're supposed to, you were out of the money, right like that. That's that's that's you know, this is this is the theoretical economic justification for why you can charge interest because there's risk. But what Singer figured out is that you could just use the US court system and you know, the threat of the the the implicit and explicit threat of the US military to just like force people to pay you whether they have money or not.
Speaker 3: And so and this is what so, this is what he does.
Speaker 2: He's he's like the one he's the one creditor because he buys like an enormous amount of this debt, and he's the one creditor who refuses to negotiate. And so he like starts running around the US trying to like steal Argentinian assets, like he tries to have like Argentina's central bank reserves seized. There's other like it's the most famous incidence, he tries to steal an Argentinian worship in order to pay down the debt. There's another one where like he tries to like he tries to steal Argentina's entire pension fund. And this causes this like series of like lawsuits that sort of like run their way through the courts, and in twenty fourteen, one of these cases finally makes it to this review court. And this is where Singers two hundred thousand dollars Alaskan fishing trip pays off because Samuel Alito rules that Argentina has to play Singer two point four billion dollars and eventually they do so. Alito like like he's also he also has another guy who just like pays for his vacations. Who's the uh I don't know if I want to say incredibly named or disturbingly named, but this guy's name is Robin Arkley the second wait, Robin Robin Arkley the second second God, Okay, yeah, and he's a also like a genuinely terrible person, like these are these are all like you read Hitchhickers. Have you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? No? Okay, So my favorite bit from that is there's a bit where like the encyclopedia from the Foundation series, like from the future, like falls down and it falls open onto a page and someone had just made a joke about how these people are gonna be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. And the Encyclopedia for the Future drops down and they open it and it says that these two people were first against the wall when the revolution came. And that's like all of these people, these are like the worst people in the fucking world or like in the US.
Speaker 3: So this guy.
Speaker 2: Arcley makes his fortune like buying distressed mortgages and then for closing on people's houses and flipping them, so he is seems like a valuable contributor to the ecail, like I you know, I mean this is like this is literally like literally one of the old like crime think jokes was when the bank seizes your house, the GDP GDP goes up. Like that's literally this guy, this, this is the guy who makes the GDP go up by seizing it by stealing your house. And so this guy takes Alito on a bunch of trips. So when when Republica like reaches out to Aledo about this, he gets so mad that she the Wall Street Journal editorial board allows him to publish a like an op ed that is just him yelling about how this article that hasn't come out yet is fake. And one of the specific things that he's really mad about is part of this article is talking about how the wine at this met at this like lodge that he's staying at that's being paid for by by the fucking mortgage slipper. Guy has a thousand dollars a bottle wine and Claire's time was just like, no, the wine is not was not a thousand dollars a bottle. You can check the website. And then Republica was like, well, yeah, but that's because the lodge, like the quality of the lodge was downgraded after Alito had like one of the like just just just a truly incredible meltdown that he was just allowed to have in the op ed section of the Wall Street Journal in like in response, not even in response like before this article came out. And the other thing that we learned from this is that also apparently former Justice Antonin Scalia also was taking trips from this guy. So this is just like every conservative like justice in the last like twenty years has just been doing this. They've just been getting like flown around the world on fancy vacations by their billionaire friends. Well, I don't actually know if I actually might merely be a millionaire. I'm not tired sure, but he may might be a billionaire.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The other two definitely are wait millionaire a billionaire because those are two very difficult.
Speaker 2: Okay, I I let me let me, let me let me google. Is this is this guy a billionaire?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Arkley doesn't seem to be a billionaire. He seems to merely be Well, no, I've seen in other places that he is a billionaire.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's some dispute actually the guy there's like dispute over what's his net worth? Oh, we don't know. It's unclear. What does there's there's dispute over.
Speaker 3: It dispute disputed net worth?
Speaker 2: Yeah, unclear. The other two guys definitely billionaires. This guy may be a billionaire unclear.
Speaker 3: But like literally like all of.
Speaker 2: These literally all these estices I have just been like taking just like and again, any other thing I forgot to mention that I should have mentioned. Is it like all of these people have had cases appear before the Streame court.
Speaker 1: Hmm, curiously.
Speaker 2: And then this is another amazing thing. This is the thing that came up like really prominently when there was a case that you know, there was a case about the attempt to like overthrow the government in twenty twenty or in twenty one that like well in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one that Thomas like objectively should have re queued himself from because his wife tried to throw the government and he just didn't. And this and this is a this is a really important thing, which is that Supreme Court justices it's like your fucking daughter like could be one of the plaintiffs in a case and you don't have to recuse yourself. Is recruising yourself is completely voluntary, m which is not how this works for fucking anything else. Right, But again, the Supreme Court is not like it's not actually a court. It's just like a fucking it's just this like weird dictatorial tribunal that is subject to like absolutely no authority whatsoever. And Okay, So it also turns out that there's like there's like yet another layer of fuckery with this, which is that universities u Supreme Court used Supreme Court justices to solicit donations by like so so they'll they'll have like a don invite a justice to like give a talk at the university and they'll pay them a bunch of money and then they'll they'll have them like go to a dinner and then they'll advertise to all their donors like, hey, if you give us a bunch of money, you can go to this dinner with Supreme Court justice. And so a bunch of like like a bunch of people who have cases in front of the Supreme Court like use this to go get access to a bunch of Spreme Court justices. So it's great, this is this is really fun. Oh did I did I do the Venmo thing? No, I've got the Venmo thing. Okay, Okay, here's the Venmo thing. So two days after I started, like like two days ago, like from the time of writing this will be like like this will actually be like almost exactly. Wow, It'll be like almost a week from when when this comes out.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: There was another thing of this that came out, which is that a bunch of lawyers had just been sending money on Venmo to one of Claren's Thomas's aids. And these okay, like the the these these are like these are not just people who have like active cases. These are like like one of the guys who venmoed Thomas's aid is the guy who won the affirmative action case.
Speaker 3: And another one of the one.
Speaker 2: Of the other lawyers you've met him is the guy who I don't know if you remember this, like like in like the last like term of the court, there was a case where the Supreme Court like fucked the EPA's ability to regulate greenhouse gases.
Speaker 3: So that lawyer also paid.
Speaker 2: A bunch of money on Venmo Clarence Thomas's aid. So this is this is the level though of corruption that we're working at, right, which is like people sending public Venmo transactions to the aids of Supreme Court justices who's about who are about to hear their cases.
Speaker 8: Uh, that's so good.
Speaker 1: Now there isn't this is.
Speaker 2: Happening that the right has built like just an extensive and incredibly excessive network to seize control of the judiciary. Uh, liberals have produced no such network because they're fucking hacks and this and this is not It's not just the sort of like there's only one like liberal billionaire, Like, no, there are liberal billionaires. The actual real problem with a liberal attempt to like take control of the judiciary is that like liberal like liberal lawyers are hacks instead of actually like trying to hold on to like judicial positions, right, and you know, to have to like move their way up through like circuit courts in order to like like seize control of like large, like increasingly large portions of of the court system, which is all the Republicans did. Uh. The Democratic lawyers, they'll they'll get like like they they do the even lazier corruption, which is like they'll just they'll be a judge for like three years and then they'll just leave the private practice because they're all just fucking greedy shits. And you know the result of this is that all these like fucking liberal lawyers, Uh, you know, they go into private practice and make a quick buck and they leave us to fucking burn to death in this smolder and keep while they spend their vacations in Bali. And you know, and and again, the only the only thing that like could conceivably slow down the Supreme Court is the fact that like technically speaking, so it's never actually gone through, it is possible for like Congress to impeach the Supreme Court justice. But the Democrats don't want to do that because because then the right, we'll be able to impeach all of the liberals justice.
Speaker 3: No, it's worse than that.
Speaker 2: There the actual Biden's actual state of reason for why he didn't want to do it is because it would undermine the legitimacy of the court. And you know, and the result of this is that, like for all their they're fucking screaming about lawlessness and rising crime rates, the fucking biggest criminals in the entire goddamn country are just literally sitting in their stupid ass robes taking the biggest bribes in the history of the fucking republic. And the Democrats are just like, wow, if we do anything, it'll undermine the faith in our institutions. So I gad, fuck them. But also like, we don't fucking need these people like you could, Like you could, you can fit all of these people in one submarine and we could just be fucking dumb with it.
Speaker 3: And then if we get a whole bunch of news supreper court this is picked by Joe Biden, and they would save America. So that's why we need to vote for Joe Biden twenty twenty four. Save America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is than submarine. This is the submarine plot. It'll go great.
Speaker 3: We have to mandated submarine vacations for all Supreme courteous The submarine.
Speaker 2: Is now the only vehicle you're allowed to travel on.
Speaker 3: Justice taxpayer funded titanic explorations for all Supreme Court justices.
Speaker 2: We're already giving them two hundred and eighty five thousand dollars a year. It's not actually that it wouldn't We would save money if we just both salary. My position on this is clear. This is this is a this is a fiscally conservative position.
Speaker 3: Mostudget can be interpreted as fiscally conservative. It's cheaper to put all the people in houses than do what we're doing now. Anyway, Well, I'm glad we could learn about how the Supreme Court is good and.
Speaker 2: Just well, you know, the second thing you can learn is if if you some if you one day somehow are like a semi minor Chicago politician, you now know how. You now know how to launder money.
Speaker 3: Which which does sound exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for this insightful look at at at at at nineteen seventies mystery villain Harlan Crowe, who has a mansion full of Hitler paintings. This feels like it's like the it's it's like the location of like a like of like of like an Agatha Christie like book or something. Let's all investigate the murder of Harlan Crowe. Spoilers. It was Supreme Court. It was a Supreme Court justice.
Speaker 7: Hello, and welcome to It could happened here. I'm Andrew of Diiti Channel andrewism.
Speaker 3: And Hi, this is this is Garrison. I've not been on an Andrew episode in a while.
Speaker 7: Yeah, spin a minute, Spin a minute, and it's been a meme at this point that Atra or New Zealand is forgotten, you know, from maps, both physical and mental. But those islands contain a rich history of activism that deserves this spotlight.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: Much of what I've discovered has been sounds the academic efforts of Tayahu and I hope saying the name correctly, but their research found formed the foundation of my exploration of just some of the twentieth century history behind contemporary Maori struggles for auto and me on the islands. The story of Mari oppression begins not long after the arrival of European settlers in the late eighteenth century. The Treaty of Waitangi, signed in eighteen forty between the British Crown and Mari chiefs, was meant to protect Maori rights and ensure a peaceful co existence. However, as a bilingual text, it kind of sucked at being bilingual because some of the words in the English treaty did not translate directly into the written Maori language of the time, and to the Mari text is not an exact translation of the English text, particuarly in relation to the meaning of having and seden sovereignty. In other words, the full implications of what they were signing was not fully understood. The concept of private land ownership as the British understood it clashed with Maori communal land practices, which led to a significant land loss for Maria communities. The New Zealand government implemented policies and laws that systematically favored European settlers, and throughout the latter half of the nineteenth century, Mari lost control of much of the land they had owned, sometimes through legitimate sale, but often by way of unfaired land deals, settlers occupying land that had not been sold, or through outright confiscation in the aftermath of the New Zealand Wars and New Zealand Wars, where they also as the Land Wars or Mari Wars, were a series of conflicts that took place in Auti Aura between the indigenous married people and the British government and its colonial forces. These wars banned from the early eighteen forties to the late eighteen seventies, and the underlying cause was that very stroubled for land and resources as European settlers were arriving in increasing numbers and more and more dispute ceteris and over land ownership and the interpretation of the Treaty of Watangi. The wars were fought on multiple fronts involving different married tribes and regions. Conflicts included the Northern War, the Tehrank, the Taranaki Wars, the Wakaito War, and the Tauranga Campaign, and these were also characterized by a combination of gorilla warfare, fortifications, and conventional military tactics.
Speaker 8: The results, as with pretty much.
Speaker 7: All wars, was the disruption of well in this case specifically traditional Mari social structures and economic systems, and the results and hardship for those Mari communities and so as the nineteen and twentieth century progressed, Mari oppression also manifest in the suppression of cultural practices and languages by the government. As a government aimed to assimilate Mari into European culture, because of course, to them, European culture is considered superior. Married children were often forced into English speaking schools where their own language and customs were discouraged, and that also led to decline the use in transmission of the Mari language and the loss of cultural identity for many Maria individuals. This I think can be characterized as a cultural genocide. Moreover, discriminatory pract justices were prevalent in various areas and putting an employment, in housing, and in political representation, married people faced significant barriers and discrimination when seeking employment or housing opportunities. They were also underrepresented in political institutions, which limits to their ability to advocate for the rights and influence decision making processes. Now, the seeds of contemporary married activism were sowing in the sixties and seventies. Struggles were taking place basically from the point of first contact, but Mari activism as we understand it.
Speaker 8: Today really launched with a new fervor.
Speaker 7: In the sixties and seventies. The late sixties and early seventies really marked a turbulent period globally because there was an upsurgent class conflicts and social activism. You know, they are the independence movements and decolonization movements happening all over the world. It's a time when people all over were taking a stand against injustice and fighting for their rights.
Speaker 8: And this wave of political and social movements.
Speaker 7: As soon as the New Left had a profound impact on the Islands as well in New Zealand as in elsewhere, student activism was really taken shape across the world. Students who were protesting against the Vietnam War in the US, they were advocating for black liberation, and then they were all social movements gave momentum, like the women's liberation movement, the anti racism movement, the environmentalism movements, and the game that's been rights movements. They were all sparking around the same time. So the New Left and autai rower was shaped by these international developments. The late nineteen sixties when it's a surge in student activism and the emergencyverior social movements again environmentalism, women's liberation, anti racism, et cetera. And so Mari protest groups were really picking up on those movements, and those movements would shape the mindsets and the actions of Mari protest groups during that period. They were taking the analysis and the understanding of racism and inequalities faced by MARI in a broader context, and so they will aligning themselves with class struggle as well and were to progressify due to the left at large. So this point in time, the Maori struggle, it was characterized as largely leftist. That is something that will change later on as the movements become more heterogeneous, but for now it's been mostly leftist. Even though there were some part protest groups that were less left oriented and more just you know, national liberation and focused, they still saw themselves as part of.
Speaker 8: This broader left movement.
Speaker 7: Okay, they were still actively working to incorporate these radical intellectual traditions, particularly Marxism and feminism, into the Maori struggle. In the late nineteen sixties, there was this very strong collaboration taking place between Pakeha or European New Zealanders and Pakeha antiraist groups and the emergent Maori protest movements. One significant event that really brought them together was the exclusion of Mari rugby players from the nineteen sixty All Black Tour of South Africa by the New Zealand Rugby Football Association, and that decision, of course sparked widespread opposition because at the time South Africa was very much involved in the part TI and this decision to exclude Mari rugby players from the team and from that particular tour led to many protests under this banner of no Maori, No Tour, which focused on only in the exclusion of the Maori, but also on the morality of engagion with the country practicing apartheid. More collaboration would take place in the form of the formation of the Halt All Racist Tours Group also its Heart in nineteen sixty nine, which is an umbrella organization that united a couple different voices and groups, both Maori and Pakeha in the opposition to reduce their discriminatory sports tours and they ARESO involved organizations like ker which included young Mari political.
Speaker 8: Activists among its members, alongside.
Speaker 7: Pakeha political activists in organizing these panel discussions to address the position of Mari in New Zealand society.
Speaker 8: And then this is going on. This also the growth in the influence of individuals like.
Speaker 7: Gahria te Awaikotuku and John Abatiri began shedding more and more light and the barriers that prevented married women specifically from fully participated and contributed to Maori society. They were out here criticizing the patriarchal nature to show Mari leadership, an adivacation for the speaking rights of Mari women tran inspiration from the broader, non Mari specific women's liberation movement as well.
Speaker 3: So these were like other with these other movements that were happening in New Zealand that were kind of working together or this just like part of like a broader trend of these movements in the sixties.
Speaker 7: Yes, so they were starting to collaborate. At this point in time, both Pakeha and Mari poltical organizations were being to form connections and spark discussions other Pakia organizations obviously being of the leftist variety, and the Maori organizations being primarily leftist, apparently aligned themselves with the leftists causes and poisical ideologies.
Speaker 3: But from like a more like indigenous perspective and standpoint and like goals, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: Definactly all right, got it.
Speaker 7: One particular organization, which was forming in the mid nineteen seventies was created by Maori women within the Mario activist organization Tamatoa, who had embraced a feminist perspective to analyze the oppression faced by Mario and particularly and this awareness was fueled by their experiences of frustration and anger with the Mari land rights movement, because these women are here and they're struggling or Mari rights as a whole, but then also they're facing issues as women, both in the organization and in broader society. So they're fighting to presume the politics and culture and language of Mari society while also seeking liberation from the oppression that they would face in that Maria society. So it's a struggle for both preservation and also reformation of Maori society, or rather liberation, preservation and reformation. There was also an increase in strike activity and general class struggle happening during the late nineteen sixties, which had a significant impact in the political education of many Mari workers who were fighting for better wages and improved working conditions. Trade unions were playing a crucial role in providing organizational base for MARI protest groups, as demonstrated by the emergence of groups like Tehokioi and the Mari Organization on Human Rights or MWHR, both located in Wellington and both strongly connected to trade unions. The secretary in fact of the MWHR, Tamapuata, was actively involved in the Wellington Drivers Union and the New Zealand Communist Party. These organizations were advocating for an alliance between MARI and progressive elopments. In the working class I view, the fundamental contradiction society is being between labor and capital, between workers and bosses or landowners, and racism was seen as a consequence of class inequality, and the majority of Maori being working class were considered an impressed segment.
Speaker 8: Of the working class.
Speaker 7: Both te Pokeioi and m WHR promoted the idea of a unified struggle across racial lines, focusing one class B strategies as the most effective means of addressing racism and reducing MARI inequality. If you pick an up hints of class reductionism.
Speaker 3: YEP I was I was actually gonna mention that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there are some hints of that in this particular approach, and you'll see the consequences of that as we progress a bit further through the history.
Speaker 3: Like, could you, I mean, could you briefly explain class reductionism in case someone is like listening and is unaware of that concept.
Speaker 8: Sure. So, class reductionism is basically the.
Speaker 7: Idea that the exportation of label and the exportation of the working class by the capitalist class is the fundamental, you know, form of oppression within society, and it trumps all other social divisions, all of the phones of oppressions such as racism or sexism.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like when you mentioned like they're viewing like racism as like a consequence of capitalism, right, That puts racism like after capitalism. But racism has existed way before capitalism and is manyway one of is it is one of the main drivers of capitalism. It's not merely a consequence. It's actually like a motivating factor.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and particularly their position that focusing on class based strategies will be the most effective means of addressing racism. Yeah, what I can see from a particular angle considering that the majority of Mari will work in class at the time, saying that the best way to alleviate their condition were to focus on things we do to impact their class position. That may be true, but then at the same time you also to consider that the racism embedded within you see, the society, you're not going to go away just as a result of the end to that class based depression. To be fair to the MWHR, they will also playing an active role in reaison awareness about racism specifically you know, in housing, in sports and employment, and in violation generally of marrit political rights. They also had a very strong stance on issues related to the Treaty of Waitangi, you know, the alienation of Mari from the land and the depletion of resources and the inability of Maori to access those resources. Their stance, interestingly enough, was really on sort of reclaiming the Treaty of Waitangi as a potential foundation for harmonious and bicultural country with the conditions that past injustices were addressed and rectified. However, like I alluded to earlier, there would be a shift as the movements would progress. The inspirational monum behind the te ho Kioi and MHR had begun to weigne, particularly during the lea to mid nineteen seventies, and eventually in nineteen seventy five, the m WHR would merge with Matekite as part of the Land Rights movement, which marked the end of their separate existence and also led to the rise of Brown Power. So if brown power sounds like black power, that's because it's copy and black power. Similar to the ideologies of black power advocated by folks like Kwamiture and Charles B. Hammat, Brown power centered on the complete rejection of the racist institutions and values of New Zealand society, and the belief that the group solidarity was essential effective collective action and negotiation. The proponents of brown power urged Maori people to unite to recognize their shared history and the faster sent of.
Speaker 8: Solidarity and community.
Speaker 7: Significant emphasis was placed on the goal of Marie's self determination, which of all, the ability for Maria to define their own objectives and to establish their own distinct organizations and institutions. So this is like at this point, brown power, much like black power, is the opposite of just assimilation or adjustment or cohabitation with existing structures. It is a movement that desired complete autonomy from those systems, from those structures, an assertion of the freedom of married people to exist and not have their existence in pots to port. The organization Tamatoa initially drew inspiration from the revolutionary faction of the Black pap movement in the US. However, as the group evolved, different interests and objectives had emerged, which led to a division within the movement. On the one side, they were the conservative, university educated members such as Sid and Hannah Jackson, Peter Reikis, and Donabtiri. And on the other side they were the more militant proponents of black or brown power like John Ohio, Paul Kottara and Tednia. Eventually, unfortunately, the more conservative members of Tamatoa really took center stage in the movement. Their strategies diverged from the militants in that they sort changed through alliance with more liberal elements within the Ruins. They believed that by implementing appropriate legal measures, MARI could achieve prosperity. They were really advocating for like wealtha and self help programs for our development, and in fact, there was even some belief among them that New Zealand capitalism coupled with the parliamentary political system could be rid of racism, that you could extract racism from capitalism and then everything would be hunky doory.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, which is like this perspective, which is like the opposite of like the class productionism that we mentioned previously.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I mean this perspective is exactly the kind of thing that you see manifest again and again within political movements so across the world. Really the interests of middle class, university educated individuals who are more focused on their own individual advancement within the existing system than an actual thorough critique of the structure and history of that system.
Speaker 8: And so when you have when you're fueled by those.
Speaker 7: Individual interests and you're focused on how you can advance through that system in business or in politics, whatever the case may be, it's very easy to just you know, be like, oh, well, how not you guys are talking about And I'm sure, but once we get the racism out of the way, you know, we can all succeed, wink wink.
Speaker 8: But of course that is a rather my opic approach.
Speaker 7: And so as a result of the centrality of those individuals, and that particular perspective in the movement, the meaning of Brown power as a slogan kind of got watered down. It became more ambiguous and potentially associated with either mari capitalism or evolutionary activity. Arguably, the same thing could be said for Black power. A lot of people, a lot of advocates of black power ended up going in the direction of black capitalism, talented tenth black business, black wealth, that kind of thing. And well, we've seen consequences to that. I mean, they are more black billionaires and millionaires than they ever have been in human history. But that doesn't mean racism has been dealt with. Putting aside the capitalist oriented advocates of Brown Powell on the revolutionary side, a new group would emerged to challenge the system. And this group and you're going to you know, going to pick up on a little bit of a theme here in terms of inspiration. This group was called the Polynesian Panthers. Interesting establishing. Yeah, they were established in June of nineteen seventy one, and they had a membership primarily composed of Pacific Islanders such as simmer Ones, Tongueuns, and New Ones, and they drew obviously explicitly inspiration from the Black Panther Party in the United States.
Speaker 8: Just a heads up in Maori, well in New Zealand, the Mari.
Speaker 7: And the Paqua, the Pakea. The Europeans are the two primary groups right, but in New Zealand they are also minorities of other Pacific islanders Samoans and Tonguuns and New Ones and people from the other smaller islands within Polynesia, within the you know area, from those various islands in Oceania and the Pacific Ocean, and.
Speaker 8: A lot of them.
Speaker 7: Had arrived as immigrants during the nineteen sixties economic boom that had taken place in New Zealand. The founders of the Polynesian Panther Party were actually high school students.
Speaker 8: They weren't universittudents, they weren't adults.
Speaker 7: They were mostly from working class first generation families's and their parents were actually encouraged by the New Zealand government to migrate as cheap labor during that economic boom. But of course, as these things go again once even like looking at this history and for any significant length of time, you see certain patterns emerge. So governments are going to invite you're like, yeah, yeah, yeah, migrants come, We'll take advantage of your label. And then the second last of down to migrants are to blame for everything. So as the production boom was subsiding in the mid nineteen seventies and living conditions were deteriorating, racism and police harassment against Pacific Islanders became even more prevalent. And by the Pacific Islanders does technically refer to Mari as well, and the Polynesian Panther party position is that Mari our Pacific Islanders are into the part of the Polynesian Panthers, but speaking specifically about the migrant Pacific Islanders and they experiencing they're doing three, you know, just like the Maori. They're dealing with low wages and poor living conditions and the government, you know, being migrants, they're an even more precurious position because government had taken a more aggressive stance towards over stayers, people who overstayed on their work visas, which put these first generation New Zealanders at risk of deportation to countries that they had never visited, had never known, you know, being forced into these precarious circumstances. A lot of young Pacific Islanders were living in unsafe neighborhoods and a lot of them felt compelled to join gangs or to stay hidden at home for survival, and so the Polynation Panthers really emerged as an alternative option, seeking to provide a more positive path for young people in Pacific Islander communities. The Polynesian Panthers were particularly influenced by huy Newton's policy of Black Unity, and also echoed his distinction between revolutionary and cultural nationalism when debating the conservative members of Nagatamatoo. The Panthers identified their root cause of Pacific calendar oppression within the exploitative social relations of the capitalist system, and so they advocated for a liberation strategy that involved completely overthrowing the capitalist system and the social relations and enabled its existence. And so in practice this meant that the Panthers expressed solidarity with other liberation struggles, oppressed groups and activists, and ultimately aimed for a global revolution.
Speaker 8: They worked to.
Speaker 7: Empower the Pomation community and improve their quality of life. They organized strikes and factories with the poor working conditions. They protested outside substandard housing through the Tenant's Aid Brigade, They established homework centers to help address educational struggles, and they focused on the reason awareness of right and entitlements among Pacific Island of families who were often unaware of.
Speaker 8: Their legal protections.
Speaker 7: The fact a lot of the Panthers focus was on assistant individuals who were caught up in legal issues. They distributed pamphlets that informed people of their rights, they provided legal aid for court representation, and they organized buses for families to visit their loved ones in prison. Fund the Panthers support and advocacy in them the gratitude of prisoners, who often contributed a portion of their mega earnings to the movement. As they shed light on the daily struggles faced by Maori and also other Pacific Islanders, ranging from land claims, discrimination, police violence. The Panthers actively worked to unite Maori and Pacific Islanders in a pan ethnic coalition, which contrasted with the viewpoint in Nigard Tamato because they were prioritizing Mari unity above everything else. It almost reminds me of the the way that sometimes in the US context there were some organizations, or rather there are some to me SI of organizations that are attempting now in the present day, to emphasize African American unity above and before any other form of Pan Afghanism, more Black unity, so an insiduous seeds, to attempt to distance African Americans from the rest of the BLASBA and to ferment divisions between African Americans and African immigrants or Caribbean immigrants. So again the tactics the strategy is the it feels like a canon event at this point that there will always be These individuals or groups were trying to find ways to chop up and to divide troops that should be united and have a lot to gain from being united in a common struggle. The Panthers, along with any other Pacific Island youth, were actively working to support MARI causes, including the nineteen seventy five Landmarch and the Bastion Point occupation. They became one more depth at political lobbying, which became apparent during the Dawn Rates in nineteen seventies and the Spring Bok Tour of nineteen eighty one. T Ness was jailed for his actions during the tour but essentially released out charge and will Lahya, along with jne Harawira and others. One trial for two years, only getting off the charge after and you know they'll come your parents here. Bishop Desmond tou Tou, well known South African activist, flew in to be a character witness for their trial, and I think I'm going to put a pin on it. There covered the seeds of contemporary Maria activism, the trade union movement, Brown Power, and the Polynesian Panthers. And in the next episode we'll talk more about the development of the land rights movement and the weaknesses of the Mari struggle in the post nineteen eighties context. That's the penal for me. I'm Andrew could follow me a youtubet at andrew'sm and supporting patron of commns slash Saint Drew. This has been it, hey everyone, and welcome back to it could happen here. In my last part, I spoke a bit about the historical context of.
Speaker 8: The Mari struggle New Zealand or aut AA.
Speaker 7: Spoke about these seeds of contemporary Mari activism, the involvement of Mari in the trade union movements and the development of Mari women's movements, as well as the development of the Brown Power slogan and the split between the movements more radical and more conservative coalitions, with the former eventually going on to as inspired by the Black Panther parts in the US, formed the Polynesian Panthers. For those on where this as it could happen here, I am Andrew of the channel Andrism, and I'm joined.
Speaker 3: By Garrison is also on this zoom call as we discuss.
Speaker 8: The Maori land rights movement now.
Speaker 7: The struggle against Mario oppression racism led to a division within the movement regarding whether the existing political structures could bring about a real change or for complete overthrow of the system was necessary. The failure to address land alienation through official channels created a sense of pessimism about the government's commitments to Mari rights. The Mari land rights movement emerged from nineteen seventy five to nineteen seventy eight, bringing together diverse range of activists the sort of alliances with workers both Mari and Paquale, viewing them as natural allies in the fight against oppression. The common enemy was seen as the racist and capitalist state. The occupation of Bastion Point and subsequent viction from Bastian Point intensified the direct conflict that the movements were happened with the state. It garnered their public support and also the involvement from the Paquea left. The Auckland Trades Council placed a quote unquote green band on the area which went refusing to allow work to commence on the planned subdivision, and a north shore contractor even donated six trucks, including two Bitjumin tankers to help with a planned blockade. The occupation at Bassian Point was followed by arrests at the Ragland golf Course, and many of those arrested were representatives of various activist groups. The land rights movement and the struggle against Racism radicalized a group of Mari women who were already part of Nagatamatoa to go on to form the Capital B Capital W Capital Black Women's Movement. In the early nineteen eighties, the Waitangi Action Committee married People's Liberation Movement to our Ta and the Black Women's Movement emerged as prominent Mari political activist groups, primarily based in Auckland, New Zealand. They continued the protest tradition of Nagata Matoa with annual protests to the Watangi Day celebrations, and they even came up with the idea to call it the Cheaty of White Tangi instead of the Treaty of White Tanki very clearfl and they also called for a boycott of the celebrations. Not initially, Marie activists had collaborated with certain Pakeha anti racist groups, but that association was weakened after divisions emerged during the anti Springbok tour protests in nineteen eighty one, which, as you may remember from the previous episode, was a protest against the national rugby team's participation in a tour that included apartheid South Africa. The perception was that Alisa mang Luri that many Pakeha had failed to recognize the connection between aparthide in South Africa and colonialism and racism in New Zealand, and so the bonds between those two movements would beginning to weaken. Add On top of that a prolonged economic crisis that was taking place in New Zealand during the nineteen seventies nineteen eighties as a result of course of the inherent tendencies of capitalism. The government had to grapple with the crisis of political legitimacy and of economic management, and that of course fueled further.
Speaker 8: Ethnic and gender equalities, further social unrest.
Speaker 7: And worstening economic conditions and increases in unemployment.
Speaker 8: The upsoar should take place.
Speaker 7: During our time in Mari protest really highlighted the marginalized position that Mario were dealing with. In New Zealand, society and studies ended up confirming their disproportionately poor educational outcomes, high unemployment rates, low incomes health issues, high imprisonment rates, low rates of home ownership, and dependence on the state. While some ARIA activists that sought strategies to challenge the system and addressees inequalities, others ended up pursuing struggles that posed little threat to the state and fail to address the courses of economic and social crisis inherent to capitalism and the initial focus of Marie culture nationalism was on secure and Marie studies and language programs in the educational system. However, the move on eventually shifted its emphasis towards this rediscovering Maori history and culture more broadly, and along the way, there was less emphasis on putting together a robust political movement and robust strategies for broader social change, and while Failiar movements had a very clear focus on left wing politics. It's also around this time that we see a shift towards a broader range of politics, including right wing. One of the most important books in the Maria Actress movement at the time was Donna our Seria's Maori Sovereignty, published in nineteen eighty four, and that book was really less of a critique of right wing racist politics and more of a critique of left social movements, which, according to Auritiri, was committed to a status coo characterized by white supremacy and Marie subordination. And she was calling everybody else she was called Pakeha activists, whether they be feminist, trade unionists, socialists or otherwise. She called them all out as ben committed to the status quo of white supremacy and Marie'sbbord nation. Around this time there was also a growing sense that pake has society was intrinsically based in competition, exploitation and material success, as opposed to Maori society and Maori values, which culturally was more communal, more collaborative, and more focused on the wellness of the whole. And so the solution was seen as really emphasizing cultural consciousness, but the emphasis and cultural consciousness Aluin often led Mary away from political activism and towards purely cultural writer list pursuits. In nineteen eighty four, the Fourth Labor Government was elected and it sort of addressed the rise in Mari protests by enhancing the status of Mari culture specifically and incorporating Mari representation and practices within state institution shots. This approach is known as by culturalism, and it extended the jurisdiction of the White Tanki Tribunal and incorporated Maori personnel and cultural symbolism into government institutions.
Speaker 8: For those who made a missed up.
Speaker 7: The White Tanky Tribunal was basically institutions set up to deal with specific cases of violations of the White Tangi Treaty, and so by extending jurisdiction with White Tanki Tribunal by incorporating more Maori into positions of government and of power, this gave this illusion of a partnership and ended up satisfying some of the mariad for self determination. But at the same time and again echoes to other movements around the world. You see that the government seeds a certain ground but it does so so it doesn't lose other fights. It pretends to lose certain battles so that it can win the war right because in conceding to more reformist demands of the movement, it allowed them to marginalize and to disempower the movements more radical demands, and it allowed them to put forward this pr face of doing a good thing for the Maria community while not actually challenging the underlying social relations of racist and capitalist society. Basically, the state's adoption of ethnic rhetoric and corporation of Mari elites into state institutions save to appease a decent portion of Mari protests while maintaining the status scope. Now, after the Labor government had introduced the Treaty of waitang Gi Amendment Act, which expanded the powers of the White Tangi Tribunal in nineteen eighty five, the White Tangi Tribunal actually had very little power when it came to enforcing its recommendations. So it would hear out these cases of land theft, It would hear out, you know, these Maori individuals or groups would invested a lot of time and energy and resources into their land claim cases. The tribunal would find them correct. It's like, oh, yeah, they did steal from you. You probably should get that land back. But the only thing is we can really help you. The tribunal, which was set up to help with these cases, didn't actually have the power to enforce its recommendations, to actually enforce the settlements. It came to it was toothless to really end up being a waste of energy. And at the same time, the Labor government was doing some economic restructuring and to reduce government expenditure and implement an economic plan to restore profitability, which included like deregulation, privatization, dismountling with the welfare state. Again echoes this is newliberalism one o one Thatcher regan all of u because the claims that were made to the wait Tangia Tribunal and the recommendations made by the tribunal posed obstacles to that sale of state owned enterprises and that further restruction the economy towards more new liberal ends. There was a growing scent within the government that this was quote unquote special treatment for Mari and the political costs associated with the tribunal was just causing too much headache for the government. And so by nineteen eighty nine, just four years after they introduced that act, under the immense pressure of you know, these smart people getting in the way of their ability to new liberalize, the Labor government ended up downplaying the significance of a treaty policy. And while that's going on, the government has co opting key individuals in the Mari protest movement through various negotiations and consultations. More and more of this quote unquote Mari elite was being brought into the fold of the state. Came in privileged positions and wealth, and so they became insulated from the grassroots Marie struggle. The following government, not the Labor government, but the national government also sort to restore profitable investment in the New Zealand economy and to address some of the uncertainty created by the treaty claims, and so they went to the Mari elite, did their little negotiations and they decided to settle certain claims to the fisheries around New Zealand. That became known as the Sea Lord's Deal, which caused a lot of headache and anger and divisions in the Mari community because of the lack of transparency and democracy in these negotiations. The it was made between the New Zealand government and a group of Mari corporate entities known as the Sea Loord Group in nineteen ninety two, and under this agreement, the Sea Lord Group, which was said to represent Mari interests, acquired a fifty percent steak in Sea Loord, which is a major seafood company New Zealand. The other fifty percent remained with the Japanese fishing company Nisui, And so the deal was seeing as a resolution like, yeah, we put ourselves in the back. The Maori were making these claims over fishery resources. So we met up with to Marie businessmen and gave them a fifty percent steak in Sea Lord.
Speaker 8: Problem is solved right now.
Speaker 7: You know they will get some commercial benefits from the fishing industry, but no more than fifty percent.
Speaker 8: Though, of course, as a result, a lot.
Speaker 7: Of Maori were arguing that no, this is not adeically address ur crevances. The settlement is not sufficient. And on top of that, why are you're going to make an these backrooms deals and not consult in the community as a whole. The positions or the opinions of one does that represent all of us? And it's actually kind of similar to what was happening during the initial stages of the land theft that was taking place during New Zealand's colonization, because when I mentioned in the first part that some of the land were so legitimately, what I mean by that is certain Mari individuals saw an opportunity to profit by screwing over everybody else in their community. So they would claim, oh, yeah, this is my land, completely disregarding the fact that this is coming on land that it has been for generations. This is my land, So I will sell it to you. You give me the money, and so I, you know, profit and a real sort of suck. So as kind of seeing that mirrored in this nineties context, and then at this time with the divisions in the community over the decisions made by these Mari elites, they were even further divisions trained by some negotiations that were all taking place for the government's one billion dollar fiscal Envelope, which is an attempt to evoke a full and final settlement of all remaining treaty of Oitangi claims. Basically the government was saying here here have some money, get out of the way, shut up bas it so called reparations right, and so there was another upsurge of Mari protests and you know, more of people were frustrated and there was traited desperation because there was really a lack of options for resolve and the crievances that they were dealing with. Some of the protests were continuing the struggle with the land right to move onto the nineteen seventies, but others were challenging the decision making power.
Speaker 8: Of the EV bodies.
Speaker 7: EV bodies, by the way, are the largest representative bodies of Mari in Altai Aura. They're like mega tribes, and so there was an increasing frustration among Samrii of you know, these representative bodies inability to accurately represent them. And another key component of this division was the fact that the more middle class elements or middle class professional elements of the Maori population were enjoying an expansion opportunities and were growing in wealth and prestige, but they were leaving behind the working class Maori population, which was still struggling in the same way they had been for decades. The policies of both the Labor government and the national government disproportionately impacted working class Mari communities, and the movement there was supposed to represent them had lost sight of them and their interests. There was a lack of intermovement solidarity, of pushing for fundamental social change instead of these individual changes, and there was a sense of crumblence internal cohesion. Some marioctivists such as te Ahu who, like I said in My Free Spot, I drew primarily from their work when researching this particular history, and they were very critical of that historical period and particularly of the personalization of the conflict for liberation. And so their position was that by focusing on individual relationships and prejudices, rather than challenging the systemic structures perpetuating opression, it left the struggle to be fought on this individual level, while the larger system was left unaddressed. And particularly because you know, in the eighties there was a shift away from class struggle as a central component of the Maori struggle. Middle class and wealthy Mari interests were dominating the conversation and their interests were exclusively in cultural nationalism, with no real room for working class struggle. For class struggle in any form and then part of that whole strategy and that will focus on exclusively cultural nationalism would attempt to throw everybody under this one. Under this broad brush, right, the wealthy new liberal Mari politicians would be in the same vein as the impoverished and unemployed working class Mari despite their clear differences and access to economic and political power. And so this notion of Maria as a homogeneous group with identical experiences and political aspirations, disregarding the diversity within Marie society and the conflicting political strategies within Marie communities, would really weaken the cohesion of the struggle as a whole. And I don't know how else to say this except there needs to be a recognition of racial struggle, gender struggle with class struggle, of struggles for ability and disability justice, like inter sexuality, intersectionality. It's really so simple. Cultural nationalism has its place, but it's very insufficient and very easily cooptible. That's why the New African anarchist Ashanti Austan says that we must go beyond nationalism, even.
Speaker 8: If we don't go without it.
Speaker 7: That's why I've made a whole video on the subject of nationalism or more specifically national liberation for oppressed groups. You see, it's a tool that oppressed people can use in their struggle, but it's not enough, and focusing too much on it leaves a lot of exploitable gaps in one's analysis. It's again, it's a tool, not an end in itself. It does little to change material realities. Tea who in their piece had said that while and I'm quoting here, while culture and identity remain absolutely essential to Mari social wellbion, it does not automatically follow that cultural identity alone should provide the organizational basis for the fight against racism and Marie disadvantage. Because identities are blurred and multiple, any fight against Mario oppression must be based upon building the strongest possible liberation movement by uniting different oppressed groups into a common struggle. This is essential because true liberation for Mari will not occur without a fundamental transformation of capitless society and the creation of a classless society in which there is real women's liberation, gay and lesbian liberation, and freedom from racism endquote. Historical evidence has shown that the political movements based solely on the identity of the participants could be very diverse. Let's just say on the spectrum there are reactionary and their revolutionary segments of pretty much every national liberation movement, from Black Power to Free Palestine. Because when the focus is on cultural or national liberation, there is a lot of room to adopt a variety of approaches and a variety of political aims. I so it's a lot of room for middle class interests to dominate as they have a lot more time and resources to contribute and take over the rhetoric and the messaging of the causes. Another example that we see in the feminist movement, which in a lot of ways diverge from the struggle of working class women towards the more niche interests of you know, the girl bosses who we're facing genuine hills in their climate, the corporate ladder.
Speaker 8: But in focusing on those instances.
Speaker 7: There was a loss of the needs of working class women and the precurious position that when as a whole are still in mari. Political activism has always been diverse. You know, there's a wide range of strategies, campaigns and participants. There's not a unified movement, but there's a heterogenous force, with both radical and conservative elements, each pursuing different methods to achieve the objectives. There's no unanimous agreement on the vision of Tino Rangatira tanga, which is the Marii term for Mari self determination. Tino Rangatira tangle can be associated with Mari capitalism, electoral power, cultural nationalism, or revolutionary activity. In the past, some artists had believe that fundamental transformation the system was necessary for liberation, and so they rejective reformism. But the landscape has changed.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 7: Some still advocate for constitutional changes, elector apolitics to address systemic issues. Some influential travel executives and corporate warriors are even going as fast to argue that Mari can only achieve true self determination and liberation through unrestricted free market capitalism. The objectives that Tino Rangatira tangle promoted by different groups are contradictory because there is no homogeneity in the Mari struggle. But I hope that the takeaway here has been clear, and that is the need for a clear intersectional approach to revolution in our struggle against racist, sexist, capitalist, et cetera society. The Mari movement is still ongoing. And though the focus of these two parts has been pmarily on the current rather has been primarily on the struggle of the sixties, seventies, eighties, and early nineties.
Speaker 8: Mari liberation has not been found.
Speaker 7: Tino Ranga, t your tanga has not been achieved and there's still a long way to go.
Speaker 8: That's it for me again.
Speaker 7: I'm Andrew from the TUE channel Anturism. You can find me there and you could support on patre dot com slash saying true this has been it could happen here?
Speaker 1: Welcome back to It could Happen Here? A podcast about things falling apart and about what we like to call the crumbleson here. And the key aspect of the crumbles is the ongoing resurgence of fascist political parties and politicians in the United States and elsewhere. And today we're going to be talking about about one of said fascists, a fella you might have heard of named Ron DeSantis. I'm putting Ron, Yeah, Pudding Ron old dasanct demonious. Now, Garrison, you've got a banger of an episode written out here. I'm looking at your script right now. It's beautiful. Right before we get into it, I do want to give an update on a past subject if it could happen here Lord Miles Rutledge for those of you who may not have caught that episode. Lord Miles is a British Man who went to Afghanistan to hang out and got caught up in the Taliban's you know, victory in that war, and then turned himself into a danger travel influencer, visiting in dangerous place, going to war zones, going to Ukraine and like making it about him. He went back to Afghanistan because it really was better for his social media following than any of the other places he went, bragged about breaking laws, including faking his visa, and then got arrested and has been radio silent for about the last five months now. A lot of people have wondered is Lord Miles dead that he liked die in custody in the Taliban are trying to keep it a secret, but worry no longer. Friends today his account posted this is a friend of Lord Miles to give an update. Four months in Taliban custody. He's treated very well, has several servants, loads of movies on his laptop, goes on picnics and has tea with the Taliban cabinet government. He still loves Afghanistan. And then there's a photo of him giving the thumbs up. Dou't so he's not dead, guys. He's in a nice Taliban farm upstate. Gets he gets to run all he wants, you know, wide open fields. He's super happy. It's really funny. One of his All of these people are so fucking brained, poised, brain poisoned, but like a big part of Miles, he was like trying to also be kind of a right wing influencer. He was doing this like anti woke. The Taliban is awesome and like actually kind of good guys because they they don't like believe in the woke agenda. And one of his friends, after this message got posted, like messaged his account be like, hey, Taliban, if you're the guys that have like captured him, we really want him back. I'll pay a ransom. I'm like, I know this is probably just a misunderstanding because you guys are on our side on the anti woke war.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, I'm sure Taliban cares about the woke culture war facing America.
Speaker 1: That's what they're that's what's they're all about. That shit. Good work guys.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they tuned in to shot out of the every night Oh.
Speaker 1: So funny, so funny. Anyway, that dude Debt is dead as hell. Look, I'm not saying that to gloat. I'm just saying that that motherfucker is dead as hell. I don't care what a prick he's dead.
Speaker 6: Many, many people have died in Afghanistan and it's been a tragedy, this one less.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Garrison, please continue.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're gonna return to this podcast being your number one source for slightly homo erotic fascist memes once again.
Speaker 1: That was how we pitched it to iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Explaining the erotic fascist themes.
Speaker 1: A lot of people talking about fascists these days, but none of them are homo erotic.
Speaker 3: So on the on the last day of Pride Month, Desantas's campaign shared a ad that's been described as bizarre and mystifying, where he pedals a whole bunch of pretty pretty extreme like homophobia. He attacks Trump for for for previous statements that Trump has made regarding LGBTQ rights, and then the video kind of transitions and we see basically a version of what we're gonna call fash wave, and I'm gonna explain all of these terms here in this episode, but we're seeing kind of a resurgence of a political meme style that was popular years ago. It's kind of laid dormant the past year or so for reasons that we will very soon discuss. But a whole bunch of both conservatives and liberals are kind of not really sure how to take this ad shared by the Desanta's campaign and are ill equipped to understand what the fuck.
Speaker 2: Is going on.
Speaker 3: But luckily I am equipped because I spent my teen years in telegram chats watching this meme style develop.
Speaker 1: So proud of you, buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks in the telegram trenches once again.
Speaker 1: All right, So.
Speaker 3: The first image of Dysantis, when it flashes to this other kind of weird more like oar editing style, has him with like these uh these blue or red like glowing eyes. And this is gonna be something that is going to be a recurring trend that we're gonna be talking about in this episode, these like these like glowing laser eye type things. So we're gonna start with this because this is actually one of the one of the most common traits of fash wave, and we've seen this be adopted by multiple politicians in the past, and most people probably like don't know what the fuck this is, like is this like a Superman thing? Like what what the fuck is this? So laser eye memes started in the early twenty tens, originally referencing video games like Mass Effect two and other like sci fi and superhero media people like Superman or anyone with like laser eyes. Is also like a a like a cultural touchstone for this sort of thing. The laser eyes usually represent like a figure growing in power, So when when someone has laser eyes and a meme, it's like they are they are They're gaining power, the gaining security. The The original caption for the early laser eye memes was assuming direct Control, which was also just a video game reference. So again I would have someone with like glowing glowing laser eyes and text that says like assuming control or assuming direct control. So this was this was popping off in like the early twenty tens, Around the same time, synth wave and vapor wave were gaining traction as both like nostalgic musical microgenres and a mimetic visual style featuring neon glitchy kind of eighties retrocomputer aesthetics mixed with traditional Greco Roman sculpture for a variety of reasons which we'll touch on, but vapor wave had influences from video games, cyberpunk anime, and it was it was relatively popular as a microgenre in like the twenty teens, and throughout the twenty teens, both the laser eye memes were steadily growing in popularity on places like Reddit and four chun alongside the rise of a vapor wave and its kind of surrealist, nostalgia laden aesthetics focused on highlighting the comfort and unfulfilled promises of the Internet of yester year, and this like nostalgic surrealist aesthetic was prime bait for easy co option into the reactionary meme variant dubbed fash wave, which soon became kind of the de facto esthetic of the then burgeoning alt right. Glowing laser eyes on various fascistic political figures became a staple of fash wave during the rise of the alt right around twenty sixteen to twenty eighteen. I actually kind of like vapor wave. I think it's maybe a bit overplayed now and It certainly is frustrating how much it was kind of taken over by reactionaries, because actual vapor wave is almost actually like anti capitalistic in a few ways. It's kind of it's kind of criticizing the disposableness of like modern consumerist culture using like forgotten eighties technology and like software that kind of stuff. So I'm looking at two of my little vapor wave images here in the script, and it does some of some of the little like ways that the images are broken up makes it look kind of like like old Internet pop up ads back when they had like clearly defined borders and x'es and weren't just like overtaking your entire screen and you had no way to close them. But you know what does kind of overtake your entire viewing experience via an ad. It's it's podcast advertising because it's going to go straight into your ears, and there's no way to x out. You have to you have to suffer through the ad unless you unless you figured out that you can press a button that makes you go forward thirty seconds. Anyway, anyway, here is here is our beloved, our beloved sponsors who fund such vital research that I that I'm doing for this episode anyway, the rise of the alt right to this is kind of where where fash wave is both like getting the name fash wave and also you know, it's becoming a larger problem because there's more Nazis wing around. So after the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, the Altright went through a sort of split between the more Trumpian adherents, who made up large parts of the then dubbed all to Light, a term we don't really use it very much anymore, and then this kind of other section which had more of the accelerationist neo Nazis who were starting to congregate on the messaging app Telegram. And then we have groups kind of like the Proud Boys that are like in between. They're kind of Trumpian, they're also also like more fascy, but they're not like really full skull mask. Usually some would adopt that esthetic later on, but that's kind of due to this cultic milieu that's starting to develop on Telegram. So a fash wave largely followed the self proclaimed fascists, so it too became the central visual style of the of the burgeoning network of militant accelerationist telegram channels, which would eventually be dubbed terror Gram Terror as in terrorist. And this was combining with a whole bunch of weird factors around twenty eighteen twenty nineteen, including the Boogloo Boys, which Robert has written about at length before It's and it was also influenced by the Iron March forums and like the skull Mask network with groups like Adam Waffen and the Bass, they were all the.
Speaker 1: Iron March forms are like the Boomers of Nazi Internet people, not quite the Boomers, maybe the gen X.
Speaker 3: The jed X, Yeah, very very much, the X.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the forum generation. There's a generation of people. Yeah, before social media is it's Nazi something awful, right, It's We're not quite into the chans yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And after Iron March kind of collapsed, a whole bunch of these weird accelerationists, we're starting to all congregate on telegram. And this is where we see kind of fash wave develop into a much more overt apocalyptic and a dooomer focus. The the hontology inspired and nostalgic reflections on the false promises of techno capitalism that were already present in vaporwave were ripe ground for the addition of like return to tradition style reactionary fascism.
Speaker 1: Do you explain porntology if people are familiar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Uh, Hontology is a I mean it started as a term which then developed into a musical genre. But it's it's similar to vapor wave. It's about kind of looking back on the unfulfilled promises of the past that we were like promised as a culture that then never came to place. But these promises still kind of follow us. They kind of like haunt us. If hontology is a big reason why liminal spaces got popular because of early nineties and uh and two thousands, like aesthetics of like big office buildings that are now left empty.
Speaker 1: Office buildings, like schools, like particularly like the you know, like the doors to a school or whatever. You get a lot of like photos of that. Yeah, so stuff that makes people feel a longing for a past that was never really real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like like a longing for like this sense of home and the sense of like a safe home which you maybe that you never actually really had.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she hated being in school, you just have forgot. Yeah, you've kind of athologized it.
Speaker 6: Like per she calls it post memory, when you re remember things based on you know, your sort of coat standpoint.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the the sort of doom er acelerationism of this of this kind of variant of fashwave or this like evolution of fash wave was was also accompanied by by groups like the Bogle of Boys who are starting to make their memes in this in this style as well. I have I have a few examples of fashwave here showing to to Robert and James Sun and rads were pretty were pretty popular. It's like the the sun wheel version of the swastika essentially, but a lot of these are like remember tradition embrace your race with like Nazi figures in like this monochrome style over over like scan lines like you would see on like a like an old like arcade video game that has like that has like a horizon, but you know, all like neon colors kind of kind of like glitchy type stuff. There's there's one Trump one here from like twenty eighteen where he has glowing yellow eyes, also in the fashwave style. So this was kind of the aesthetic around around twenty nineteen here and like fashwave was definitely still common on imageboards like four chan, eight chan, and eight kun, but the ever pressened kind of hitler particles and poor web design on those sites drove away most of the mega conservatives who might try to stumble on to four chan or to eight chan to like watch q and on stuff. It was just it was just the site was too hostile to them and then circled Like twenty twenty, among waves of Twitter and Facebook suspensions, Trump supporters and high profile far right figures started congregating on other platforms. A few Twitter clones popped off, like Parlor and eventually Trump's Own Truth Social but a number of mega conservatives also ended up on Telegram, in part due to telegrams largely off approach to moderation. So around this twenty twenty and like just post twenty twenty time period is when Telegram began functioning as the far right's very own cultic milieu, a sort of like shared online space where various memes, ideologies, conspiracy theories, and propaganda could all intermingle with each other and spread. Now, part of this is how Telegram operates as a platform. I'm going to quote from an article about Telegram and the cultic milieu from logically quote. Telegram offers features that straddle the line in between social media and messaging app. Users can create channels which function as one way message channels that allow someone to send a feed of messages available to all of their subscribers. Public channels and group chats are searchable by name, allowing anyone to subscribe to a public channel or join a public group. Channels and groups are uniquely connected on Telegram. When a message is forwarded from a public channel into another channel or group, it links back to the origin group, creating a chain in between different channels and groups. Another common feature is for users to advertise for channels and groups in other channels and groups, with some users creating directories of these channels and these big group chats that have extremist content unquote. So this kind of interconnected nature that allows this chain link of being able to award a message, Like you have a Telegram channel with like three thousand people in it and you post fash raight memes. You can make some fash rave memes in the style of like Trump, and then you can forward this message to a Trump channel that has forty five thousand members in it. They see this meme, they might like it, they click the meme, it sends them back into your three thousand person channel. So now they're going to getting exposed to all of the other weird shit you have going on. So it became a really easy way to kind of make a rabbit hole and like a pipeline for people to get exposed to new aesthetics, new ideologies, and especially conspiracy theories. I think we should have an ad break now and we will return to talk about the the increased Trumpian focus on fash wave that happened as a result of this kind of telegram cross proliferation.
Speaker 1: That's right, everybody, We're going to break for ads from our sponsors, who also sponsor Lord Myles Rutledge. So you know, let's hear it up for these ads from the Taliban. Ah, we're back. And I don't know about you guys, but Taliban's making a lot of sense these days to me.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like their war on wokeness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking speaking speaking of a war on wokeness.
Speaker 1: Leads us right back to oleron well, meatball ron.
Speaker 3: So to understand what the fuck is going on in that Rhonda Santis video. This is probably one of the most important, important little tidbits of knowledge that some people may be overlooking. Is this brief fever dream known as Dark Mega. Oh god, yeah, good to us.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I'm just glad. Yeah, I'm glad. This one didn't work out the way they'd hope.
Speaker 3: No, it did not work out, so the opposite of the way they hoped. Yeah. So, because of this kind of Telegram cross proliferation, the far rights memetic aesthetic went through a sort of coagulation after twenty twenty, which eventually resulted in the upsetting, albeit short lived Dark Mega, also known as Ultra Mega, both of which are horrible names.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, I remember Ultra Mega being big and like people putting their Twitter handles along with like the eagle.
Speaker 8: And a flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 3: The Dark Mega trend started around a year after the January sixth capital attack and steadily grew in popularity for the next few months during the lead up to the twenty twenty two midterm elections. After two years of right wing influencers and politicians operating in Telegram's cultic milieu, the influence of militant acceleration is propaganda is immediately apparent in this new stylistic iteration, which is basically downstream from fash wave. Dark Mega promoted a form of dystopian inspired overt authoritarianism with the assumed direct control laser eyes front and center, and for emphasizing militaristic domestic connotations. Dimlylit images were usually edited in red or blue monochrome. Dramatic images of Trump are fairly prominent, as is the presence of weapons and the occasional Nazi symbol. I have two examples of fashwave here for for for the UH for the gallery. James, what do you what do you.
Speaker 2: Think of this.
Speaker 1: Of these?
Speaker 3: Of these two pictures.
Speaker 6: First of all, they look like somebody used like a MS paint, Like it's kind of that. That's the tear of work when none of these are well edited. No, they're not horror, Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: It is one of them, the one on the left. He looks like it's like like the eighth movie in like a Jason or Freddy type series right where it's like straight to DVD, Like they're moving that shit right into the red box. And they just paid a guy forty five dollars to mock up a cover.
Speaker 3: Like he is it is it is it is. It is a to B and direct to digital make I do.
Speaker 6: He's like it looks like it's like like being developed in a dock room. It's like red and black.
Speaker 1: It's like all red and black. His eyes are glowing blue.
Speaker 3: He's a skit.
Speaker 1: It appears to be like a long a springfield long rifle or something like that. I couldn't tell you the exact type, but that does I am now thinking about, Like, so, if you've ever loaded black powder, you tend to like have you know, like a wrapped you know, cartridge that's got the ball and the powder and you rip it in half in your mouth and you pour the powder and then you like expect the anyway, Trump is such a germophobe. I just desperately want to see him try to like manage a black powder rifle. I would, I would really deeply enjoy that. It's as good as a Tucker Carlson shooting. They like the sec fire rifle was a very funny moment. Yeah, the guys who pretend to light guns so.
Speaker 3: And then the the other more horror inspired one has has texted the bottom that says it's time to just kill them with again with triumph and red lacer eyes.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 3: I was upset to find out that the original person, like the original like Nazi who coined the term dark Mega, which which which kind of started this trend. Uh followed me on Twitter, which wasn't wasn't great? Oh no, oh no, yeah yeah, so that was that was a fun thing I discovered over the course of researching this episode. So one pro Trump and neo Nazi described dark Mega as such, quote dark Mega is the aesthetic demand that Trump embrace a harder and more focused approach in the role only he can fill. He was too kind hearted, too forgiving Dark Mega demands he learned from his mistakes. Another dark Mega propelled it just described uh described the intentionality behind the movement of being quote if you want to win, if you don't want to repeat the past, you have to get mean. You have to almost embrace the villain role that they're bringing you with. So that's fun. But uh, but like dark Mega's ambitions were to be more than just a meme, but instead kind of be the first real attempt at a coherent post at right aesthetic that was being pushed by mainstream political actors Uh. And included in this push was kind of a pressuring back toward militant posturing after the failed pseudo coup on January sixth, because in those first few months after JA six, everyone was like, oh, you know, we probably shouldn't be doing super overt like violent propaganda if we're if we're like on the right. And then over over time, and I think Dark Mega was part of this, was the right realizing that maybe they should just keep going and like go back to that much more kind of like Milton posturing that they were doing beforehand. I have, I've I have a few other a few other dark Dark Mega images here one with Trump and a skull mask and UH and pit vipers holding a Bible in front of a pit vipers.
Speaker 1: Pit Vipers are a type of like ski sunglasses that have a very distinctive look. There's nothing wrong with them. The company is actually anti Nazi.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Never people post their pit vipers pictures. They will like donate the price of that pair of pit vipers to you know, the ad L or something. But they've become a signifier for Nazis for reasons that we probably don't need to explain it.
Speaker 3: No, but you can read an article by me and Robert and Bellingcatter about white boys.
Speaker 2: Want you really need that right now if you really want to hear more about pit vipers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can explain this ship at length.
Speaker 3: Row and then and then I have these two other images of Trump in front of these American flags, and one of them's edited in a glitchy style with him holding a It looks like some type like machine gun or something. Tommy, Yeah, it might be.
Speaker 1: It can't really tast too small to see. No, No, that's got to be some sort of like either ar nine millimeter carbine with a suppressor on. It is what it looks like to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's generic. He's gonna yeah, it's kind of Wolfenstein style almost that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of these guys are obsessed with Wolfenstein. Yes, oh yeah, very good, James, you figured it out.
Speaker 1: There's a longer conversation to be had because Wolfenstein the most recent game, not a pro Nazi game, anti Nazi, but because you know, it's it's a game where like the Nazis won the war and you're like fighting the YadA, YadA, YadA, because they're trying to do like future Nazi troopers, and it's like a video game where you want to make the bad guys look cool, same thing as like making the demons look cool and doom and.
Speaker 3: That you know, very very selectively edited clips of Wolfenstein cut scenes and music appears in fashwave propaganda fairly often. The Pierce in schizowave propaganda, which is kind of another downstream iteration of vash wave, which I am not going to cover on this episode. And I guess the one other meme style we have here is red and dark blue monochrome with Trump with these blue laser eyes. And this is kind of the this is like the main dark mega aesthetic here is this one that's just like red with with with with like a dark dark blue as like the accent and then these little laser eye things. So dark megas had the goal of serving as both a rebrand and an attempt to reunify the various disparate factions of the online right into using attention grabbing authoritarian propaganda to push Trump and his supporters even further into the extreme while holding on the legitimacy that is lacking in the contemporary sketchiness of like the Proud Boy groups or like Patriot Front, which especially after J six, the Proud Boys legitimacy took a big hit, and all of these fucking Dark Mega guys think that Patriot Front's like a fed op. So it's it's it's it's it's a it's a way to kind of like push a new version of the alt right that still relies on the legitimacy of Trump. To quote the Institute for Strategic Dialogue quote, the secondary aim of Dark Mega is to launder more extreme narratives and aesthetics into the mainstream Trumpist movement, an attempt to introduce mainstream conservatives to more extreme parts of the right through melding Trump memes with these different aesthetics. So, like we kind of mentioned before, the previous attempt at this was the White Boy Summer trend from twenty twenty one, which I and Robert have already wrote about before. And White Boy Summer was influenced by very similar kind of fash wave telegram asthetics, but it was really successful in leaking through to one or two Republican politicians, namely Paul Gosar.
Speaker 1: Paul Gosar, you can look him up if you want He's one of the Republicans who had a degree of mainstream legitimacy and was also super tight with like just straight up we want to set off Bomb's place as Nazis. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But Dark Mega, on the other hand, was picked up by a large handful of conservative politicians as well as like the usual suspects made up of right wing influencers and content creators. Among the Dark Mega proponents were Republican candidates like Tim Swain, a former strategist now Blazed TV employee Logan Hall, Andrew McCarthy, far right propagandist Jack Sobiek now former Congressman Madison Cawthorne, and former White House lawyer Andrew Closter, and was even boosted by the father of accelerationism, Nick Land, was a brief Dark Mega proponent himself. Famously, Marjorie Taylor Green joined in on the action in May of twenty twenty two under the hashtag ultra Mega, but with the same like red monochrome images with the big glowing eyes. Probably the most upsetting bit of Dark Mega lore was a post that Madison Cawthorne wrote on Instagram. He had this post full of like here's the list of America First Conservatives. Look how small the list actually is the people who are truly America First. And attached to this little image of this list, he wrote an extremely unhinged Dark Mega post. This was also in May of twenty twenty two. Quote the time for genteel politics as usual has come to an end. It's time for the rise of the new Right. It's time for Dark Mega to truly take command. We have an enemy to defeat, but we will will never be able to defeat them until we defeat the cowardly and weak members of our own party. Their days are numbered. We are coming unquote. So this rhetoric did not secure Vess and cawthorne continued employment in the House of Representatives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it turns out most people in national politics are not entirely telegram brained. They cannot just had their skulls melted by that shit.
Speaker 3: So yeah to quote, so yeah to quote. An analysis from the Global Network on Extremism and Technology quote, Dark Mega is an embodiment of the revenge president burst from the far rights urge to reclaim what they crave and have lost power. Proponents seek to punish their political enemies without attending to political correctness. Dark Mega is an appeal to accept the tr true desires of the most dissident Trump supporters and mainstream their feelings through the medium of memes, which played a crucial role in twenty sixteen election. So dark Mega peaked as an online search topic back in May of twenty twenty two, and it may have reached like peak popularity in actual like spread of memes as early as March of twenty twenty two. I think I think it peaked in May because there was a few news articles about it, so more kind of normies were like googling what it was. But it act the actual peak was only in March of twenty twenty two. It only lasted like three months. You can you can still find some dark Mega bubbling under the surface, but only by like random Nazis and like that doesn't that doesn't that that's not signifying any kind of like political movement. And the reason why dark Mega kind of stopped being effective in between between March and May of twenty twenty two is that there was there was there was something that happened that summer uh and and that spring that effectively killed dark Mega while also dealing a pretty big body blow to fast Wave in general, and we will learn more about about Brandon's special secret operation in part two. That's right, this is going to be a surprise two parter because because I wrote get too many words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because this took an hour and a half to record of dense, dense information. So now now it's two days. You guys get to enjoy this for two days.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas as well. Let's go Brandon.
Speaker 8: Let's go Brandon.
Speaker 3: I agree, let's uh, let's talk about let's go Brandon. The iintained the only good thing Biden has done so far.
Speaker 1: It's pretty funny. It's very funny. So this is like also the sort of attitude that is actually necessary to like win the culture war side of these things. It's not like defending yourself. And it's not when they do something like put out this meme, like being like, oh my god, this is so dangerous and like semi responsible, no funk with him right back, you know, like boh, put some glowing eyes on Joe Biden and make it looks like he plans to shoot somebody. You know, it's funny.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about the rise of Dark Brandon.
Speaker 1: And also the other thing that they're kind of deterning and reposting with here is like taking the uh what is it, taking the fucking Brandon memes and let's go Brandon and going uh being like all right, yeah, fuck it, call him Brandon. Doesn't hurt us, like, yeah, we'll be branded.
Speaker 6: But Biden did that himself when someone asked him about it, he didn't know what it meant, and he was like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's go Brandon.
Speaker 3: I actually I actually already had that clip inserted of above this conversation James, good job, good job, We're on the same page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is disturbing given the content.
Speaker 3: So Dark Brandon combines two different pro Trump memes while trying to subvert them both pretty successfully. I would say, I'm assuming everyone listening to this is familiar with the fuck Joe Biden, let's go Brandon kind of evolution, So I'm just gonna skip right past that because the other half of Dark Brandon, I think is a little bit more interesting. So Dark Brandon began with chronically online leftists doing a satirical riff on Dark Mega, replacing the figure of Trump with an alter ego of Biden and having this like mirror universe president appear as some kind of like neoliberal socialist demagogue, because when you replace the fascist figure with some largely ineffectual liberal given like militaristic and socialist or anti fascist catchphrases, but like otherwise leave the rest of the authoritarian, ascetic stylings of fascism, the result is pretty funny because it's Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So again, I think I've read a lot of stuff on this, and there's like a two two to like academic reports on on Dark Brandon.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Some people believe that Dark Brandon started as like a right wing meme. They are they are mistaken. They are misreading irony poisoned leftists as being like like alt right memesters. Common common mistake, but also yeah.
Speaker 1: You would because she you wouldn't want to be stuck in a car with any of them right now.
Speaker 3: But Dark Brandon evolved into satirically imagining what if Joe Biden aiden was actually the militant communist dictator many on the right made him out to be, with all of the authoritarian impulses of Dark Mega turned on its head and ironically targeted against Trumpian conservatives, Dark Brandon can be seen hunting down a Trump voters for execution, or sitting on a throne of air fifteen's with yellow laser eyes, gonna I'm gonna play. I'm gonna play one video for us to watch here.
Speaker 1: Voted for president.
Speaker 3: There's no way out you Joe Biden's America.
Speaker 1: He's putting on a skullman.
Speaker 3: Tie me to a missile and fire me into the suburbs.
Speaker 1: I'm ready, genuinely quite amazing.
Speaker 3: It's pretty funny. It's pretty funny stuff. I do like the way that like Dark Brandon ed its work is there's there's there's this one smile that Biden does that looks very like evil and mischievous that if you edit it, if you like edit in after you says something ridiculous, it's pretty funny. So here we have a meme about Joe Biden publicly executing Patriot Front members after they got arrested in Idaho. And probably my favorite Dark branded meme is a picture of Biden with sunglasses and a list of names. Has shinzo albe neutralized, gas prices neutralized, COVID nineteen neutralized, Antifa fully armed? Roe v Wade too coming soon, Global Homo coming soon, Communism coming soon, which is pretty funny.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 3: So one of the reasons that Dark Brandon was able to flourish where Dark Mega stagnated is that the Biden verse is both based on and never lost its sense of irony, imagining the feeble, bumbling Biden as some like hard lined, ruthlessly effective tyrant is in it is like in innately humorous premise from like from the very beginning. The ironic nature also made a Dark Brandon all but impervious from attack by conservative commentators on the right, because like, how can you attack this vibe like it's it's so ironic and absurd that like there's no way to be like, look how dangerous the dark brighton memes, eyes glo, what like come.
Speaker 2: On, come on?
Speaker 3: Guess. So Dark Brandon grew in popularity as Biden's Inflation Reduction Act also known as the IRA Past Last Summer and memes out of that too, and it also it also kind of spread Afternows broke that an American drone strike killed the then leader of al Qaeda on July thirty first, twenty twenty two. Sound this time period is when Dark Brandon broke containment. So Dark Brandon kind of started in March of twenty twenty two, and by early August it has now left the irony poisoned leftist like Twitter sphere and has now broken out and is freely swimming around the liberal populace. So come August, Dark Brandon no longer belonged to leftist ship posters. Liberals started to catch on and make Dark Brandon memes of their own, albeit much more cringey boomer versions, And although most of these liberals probably didn't really know what was quite being satirized, that didn't stop them from trying to emulate this cooler, more edgy version of Biden with glowing eyes. So here I have two liberal memes here, with someone reacting to the news that there was no civilian casualties in the drone strike at Kilty al Kainda leader having Biden shooting laser eyes down from orbit, and then also him eating ice cream in front of an explosion, which is horrible, like a not very good meme, but the fact that there was bad, like very very bad, low quality dark branded memes is actually very important for later.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yes, no, it's good that this happened.
Speaker 11: Yes, the Internet has taken notice, and now there's a new meme out there known as dark Brandon, which shows a badass Biden with super villain laser beam eye malls.
Speaker 3: The liberalization of dark Brandon was met with sadness from the original memesters that pioneered the overtly ironic dictatorial Brandon who commanded battalions of Antifa. The ongoing liberal co option of dark Brandon was thought to signal the death of the meme, although a completely unintended positive side effect of this recuperation seems to be taking hold. We'll have more that later. I have I have a four other pretty bad dark Brandon memes.
Speaker 1: Here go on with corn ROAs is fully fully sent me.
Speaker 3: It's not good. There's there's two of these are like photoshop movie posters with Biden's face extremely poorly photoshopps on Tomeo's.
Speaker 1: Ship photoshops again this is MS paint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then a poster for the Dark Brandon rises with the tagline that the malarchy will end. Not not very good memes. So it wasn't just overly online democrats on social media who were spreading these dark branded memes. Soon enough, White House staff joined in to celebrate the passing of the kind of Neutered Inflation Reduction Act. On August seventh, the White House Digital Director shared a high contrast photo of Biden grinning with red laser eyes pointed towards the camera that quickly went viral. Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut posted a dark branded meme which was a drawing with yellow glowing eyes later that same day, and the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee posted the same picture as well, and the Deputy White House Press Secretary Andrew Bates posted a whole ass dark branded meme, writing dark Brandon is crushing it with a horribly cringing photo abided with red laser eyes and a white text that reads, your malarkey has been going on for long enough.
Speaker 1: Kiddo, Like, oh my god, oh my god. Now you know what, Garrison, we were just celebrating this, but I think I am now a fascist.
Speaker 3: It's done it. The White House Staff Secretary joined in by responding to a tweet saying laser's shooting out of Joe Biden's eyes is an official statement of administration policy by saying that is indeed an official physician what anyway?
Speaker 1: So God damn it.
Speaker 3: Many people, myself included, suspected that Dark Branded would suffer through kind of a regular meme cycle and die off pretty soon once it hit this like peak popularity, But somehow Brandon showed a surprising amount of resiliency, partially due to liberals being a few months behind and they're being really nothing else for liberals to meme about, because this was like one of the this time in Biden's presidency was the first time the Democrats actually felt like they had something to celebrate, and having this kind of overly outrageous kind of joking meme was like the first bit of like agit prop that liberals have like done since Trump went out of office, and it's also like the first effective edgeprop they've ever done period.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Dark Brandon showed one other surprising trait very soon, the ability to influence actual Joe Biden. On September first, Biden gave a prime time bombastic speech addressed to the nation and spoke about the threats to American democracy from extremist mega forces. Joe Biden stood outside of Independence Haul in Philadelphia, lit with high contrast red lights and uniformed marines on either side. Far right politicians and influencers reacted with shakunhorror, calling the speech demagogic, outrageous, and divisive, while liberals and even some leftists praised the speech for accurately addressing the threat posed by far right actors in this country. But both of those on the right end left definitely noticed the frank brandonness of the entire thing, especially with this being less than a month after the White House's own Brandon posting. The red lights, the background marines, and the impassioned and oddly well delivered appeal to fight for the soul of the country from the Trumpian mega extremist political faction set on dismantling democracy played very well. The whole thing felt very Dark brandon Esque, and the takeaway many people had is that they had somehow memed Dark Brandon into existence. Do you know who else you don't want to fuck with? It's the products and services that support this vital, academic level research into Dark Brandon. Truly truly unparalleled work on the part of myself. You're welcome, here's fucking ads. All right, we are back. Let's talk even more about Dark Brandon. I cannot believe I wrote three thousand over three thousand words on this all right, So, like many natural predators, Dark Brandon went through a period of hibernation, laying dormant through most of the winter, that is, until a huge resurgence in April of this year. This past April, Biden launched his new twenty twenty four re election campaign website, which not only featured a Dark Brandon error four oh four page reading your Lost Jack, Let's get you back on the rails, which is kind of funny but not really funny because it's doing the whole like Biden and track reference And it's kind of funny because it's like a four oh four page, So it's like it's Dark Brandon telling you to get back to the regular website because you're now on like the the part of the website that doesn't exist, because like Dark Brandon doesn't exist. It's not I'm overthinking this. I'm doing way too high concept. It's like Beaudry art analysis of this. This joke is not that good. But beyond the Dark Brandon error four oh four page, there is also official Dark Brandon merchandise. Biden's Dark Line features dark blue monochrome images of Biden or Brandon staring forward with red laser eyes and a mischievous grin. The design comes on baseball hats, t shirts, mugs, stickers, and tote bags. Product descriptions are as follows. Best worn while vanquishing malarkey. Protect yourself from malarkey and the sun with this dark cap, dark Brandon, dark Rose, dark dark Brandon, dark roast tea drinkers, Welcome, and and finally, the worst one malarkey is tot's over after we re elect President Biden.
Speaker 1: This is the This is like the Internet equivalent or the me I don't know what the I feel the same way I feel in like old Yeller when you're like, well the dog's got rabies, you got to shoot it, Like there's no other ethical way.
Speaker 6: To deal with This is like, but it's it hurts. It's like when someone's dad turns up to the skate park. This is what's happening here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got to shoot them otherwise they'll give everyone rabies. Right, that's what you meant, James, Yeah, Yeah, it's time for their life to end.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is also likely fascinating because like the fact that that Biden Joe Biden made assume direct control role, laser eye Dark merch before Trump did is wild and now Trump won't really ever be able to like capitalize on this sort of thing because Biden just beat him to the punch on this and and like in a way that's like not actually promoting fascism, which effectively, this, this whole thing effectively neutralized Trump's ability to cash in on Dark Mega and the fashwave aesthetic, which is just a pretty shocking and like amazing trajectory for fash wave.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The latest appearance of Dark The latest appearance of Dark Brandon was during the White House Correspondence dinner this past April, when Biden handed off the podium to comedian Roy Wood Junior.
Speaker 1: Roy the partum is yours.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be fine with your jokes, but I'm not sure about Dark Brandon.
Speaker 1: The limbs were so happy to have a meme, a meme. They got one, they got one, and they were just it's one of those things again, like like a little kid having to shoot his dog. I just I couldn't. You can't take it away from them. They were just so happy.
Speaker 3: I have I do have three. I selected the only three Dark branded memes I like. Here for the very end, one is just Biden in a beard and an eye patch. It says it's over. Jack one has Biden with a like a very like horrifyingly edited smile with laser eyes malarkey detected and it looks.
Speaker 1: Like the monster in a fucking like I don't I don't know exactly what from, but like demon teeth, like nightmare teeth.
Speaker 3: The leftists are so much better at making these memes than anyone else. And my favorite is this is a satirical rift on the this post has been fact checked by real American patriots. Trump Beam instead having an image of Dark Branded with laser eyes and saying this post was fact checked by real Dark branded acolytes. So this is like fun and good, right like this, this is fine, But there's actually a surprisingly like positive result from this whole Dark branden sega, because even as far back as August of twenty twenty two, myself, some research colleagues, and other journalists that I have like no connection to all started to kind of observe the same thing. The liberal recuperation of the fashwave style via Dark Brandon seemed to seriously damage fash Wave's legibility in right wing circles. The normy use of dark Brandon had already appeared to have ceased all of the dark megaposting because there was this influx of like Minion's Facebook Tier Brandon memes, which offered very strong levels of vicarious cringe that provided a social disincentive for anyone wanting to post laser eye dark Mega memes due to their fear of being associated, even just aethically associated with the liberal boomer Biden memes, which which now like represented this cringe and dead style. The widespread nature of Brandon laser eyes also seemed to seriously dampen the Patrick batemanification of characters like Homelander from The Boys, who was at the time becoming one of the far right's favorite memeable characters. Yeah, there are few things that these online nazi weirdos fear more than their special toys being played with by normies, because almost immediately they're like esoteric plaything loses all appeal once the normies like start using it.
Speaker 1: Like it's a signifier that you're part of the club, and if yeah, fucking the DNC is posting these memes, you're not part of the club anymore. Nope, Like, there's no it's not a club you want to be in. I guess yeah.
Speaker 3: So I still maintain that one of the best things Biden has done since taking office is utterly destroying fashwave by complete accident. I postulated this back in twenty twenty two, and it still pretty much holds true now. And it's not just my opinion either. Others have noticed that Brandon's disturbance in the far right to meme ecosystem has really taken effect. I'm going to quote Ali brielind in Mother Jones quote. The fashwave athetic has already seen its best days and wasn't as pervasive on the far right Internet as it used to be. But by associating himself with a meme style that had partially descended from it, Biden and his earnest staff and followers have probably made it impossible for neo nazi edge lords to make fashwave posts for at least a bit. By enlisting fascist meme offshoots, the administration unlocked a code. Earnest Democrats like Biden may have a hard time being cool on the Internet, but they can kill hip stuff that bad people like that is extremely powerful. They made fashwave a bit cringe. Do you know what else is a bit Crene Robert that breaks Garrison, the fact that we have to have advertising on my on my fash wave Biden Dark Dark Gear Brandon episode.
Speaker 1: Garrison, the only, the only purpose of studying or learning anything is to provide space for advertisements. That's not why we do at all.
Speaker 9: No more.
Speaker 3: Actually, do you know if you subscribe to the new Apple Premium, you can have no more molarki because there won't be any ads. So there you go. All right, we are back and we are finally finally going to talk about ron Ron DeSantis and and his his kind of fash wave misfire. So this happened about a year after Dark Brandon had taken control, so there was at least a like a good a good year's worth of buffer where fash wave was unacceptable and just not really even attempted because of how cringe it is at this point. But that did not stop the Dysantis war Room Twitter account from trying to do it. And then we will see what the right's reaction to this was. So, like I said at the beginning of the beginning of this episode, on the last day of Pride Month, DeSantis's campaign shared a video on their Dasanta's war Room account attacking Trump for previously held positions seemingly in support of LGBTQ people and statements that he said about like allowing transgender women to compete in his Miss Universe pageants and allowing Caitlin Jenner to use the bathroom of her choice in Trump Tower. This video opens with footage of Trump at the twenty sixteen RNC saying that he would quote do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens unquote. Now, this is pretty gross that the video opens this way because very importantly, this was just a month after the Pulse nightclub attack in DeSantis's home state of Florida, which killed forty nine people. That's why Trump was saying this is because there was just a massive massacre in the state of Florida. And the fact that Dysantis is opening up this Trump like homophobic attack ad by including this little bit is pretty is pretty gross. So this video then kind of transitions fifteen seconds in, accompanied by a dark synthetic beat, to a black and white image of Dysantis standing in front of an American flag with red glowing eyes shooting out little laser lightning things before a wave of pulsating images of Spartans and the Muscular Chad and clips of American Psycho, the Wolf of Wall Street and Peaky Blinders. Overlaid on top of these flashing images are headlines and short clips about Dysantis's extreme anti LGBTQ policies that he enacted in Florida. I cannot think of anything more plurifying.
Speaker 8: It really has shut down the track, just.
Speaker 6: Produced some of the harshest, most draconian laws that literally threatened trans existence.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, Vision accomplished, you win, all right.
Speaker 1: So first off, Garrison, it had been so long since I looked at a bit shoot video so weeks. So first off, fuck you for that.
Speaker 3: I had to watch a lot of bit chute videos for this episode.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I know. Yeah. So that's I mean, absolutely impenetrable for like anyone who is not out of their mind, right, Yeah, like it is it's this Yeah, sorry, James.
Speaker 6: It feels like his fourteen year old nephew who goes by like Groyperchad fourteen eighty eight unfortune.
Speaker 1: I'll describe what's happening as like, you know, first you get obviously the beginning, which I think is clear just from the audio, these clips of like Trump saying stuff that's not it's pro gay, you know, from back in twenty sixteen. And then it switches to like footage of like news articles about DeSantis, you know, doing horrible things to queer people in Florida, and like clips of pete leftists reacting to how bad it is, and like clips of Ron de Santis like walking around or you know, art of him photoshopped with like sunglasses.
Speaker 3: Or sunglasses super muscular American Psycho stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clips of American Psycho clips from like like I think it was actually from the movie Troy, Yes it is, yeah, just to like make him look yeah, it's yes, it's just sad. It's just sad.
Speaker 3: For example, So what one little snippet of is is uh one of these little one of these little like headlines is intercut between a chat meme and a clip from American Psycho, and it shows dysantas in wearing sunglasses walking around with the headline Dysantas signs the most extreme slate of anti trans laws and modern history with this like pulsating music. So yeah, the whole, the whole second half of the video is just like that. The video seems to receive an almost universally negative reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so bad. It's famously dog shit like, just instant failure, upsetting both Trump supporters and gay Republicans and confusing those who are actually sympathetic to dissantish because due to.
Speaker 3: The bizarre imagery in the video, I'm going to read some of the comments under the DISSANTUS war Room post. Nick Adams Alpha male replied, why is the campaign sharing a video comparing him to Patrick Bateman? Isn't Bateman a serial killer?
Speaker 6: I think I'm sure that the whole Nick Adams thing is an extended bit, like it.
Speaker 1: Is literally impossible to tell.
Speaker 6: Jesse Well, yeah, masculinity is an extended Matthew Weaver says it is disgusting that this ad is linked, apparently to the Dasanta's campaign.
Speaker 3: It makes me question my support for Dysantis.
Speaker 1: You love to see it.
Speaker 3: A George Santosa staffer said, quote, this ad makes the meatball look a gay.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now I don't wanna sorry. I think it's I think it's here.
Speaker 3: I think that's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: But if you if you ever type out the sentence this ad makes the meatball look gay. You can't, you can't be in America anymore. You have to go somewhere else. Like that's banishment, right, like they used to do in the old times, Like here's a backpack, off, you go off, you go can't, You're not allowed here anymore.
Speaker 3: Lisa Loves Liberty replied what An American First commentator with over one hundred and fifty thousand followers, asked, what's the message that the Dysantis team wants people to take away from this ad that associates Ron with flawed criminal individuals? Is it that Rad is a bootlegging, psycho killer who commits financial crimes and has an achilles heel? Because that's what it's saying.
Speaker 1: God, that's so funny.
Speaker 3: And finally, far right activist, former congressional staffer and aspiring conspiracy theory documentary film producer Daniel Bostik said, quote, this is the gayest ad in the history of political advertising.
Speaker 6: So that was that was.
Speaker 3: Roughly the response is to to to Dessentdi's posting this ad.
Speaker 1: All of this is extremely fun. I'm having a good time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The the the only the only figure that I that I found who was in support of this like ad, like like the like. The only like slightly even slightly noble person who seems to enjoy this ad thought it was a good choice was Ian Miles Chong. Everyone else on the right this was a horrible decision.
Speaker 1: Again, if you're not as if you're not a terminally online leftist like us, if you're one of like the nice sweet liberals who who liked the Joe Brandon memes the dark branded memes. Ian Miles Chong is a Malaysian senior citizen who has become a far right youth influencer through a series of decisions that like you don't you don't need this to be explained, but he's one of the people that Elon Musk cares about the most in this world.
Speaker 6: You could google a picture of Ian Mileschung and understand everything you need to from that picture.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Uh So, Fox News called the Dissentist Campaign's use of the ad mystifying and an unforced error. Now I've also gonna do that's so good. I'm also I also gonna play a short clip from Miami, a Florida's local CBS affiliate.
Speaker 9: By the way, the video that you're just about to see has over twenty four million views.
Speaker 12: I will do everything in my house to protect our lg TGQ citizens.
Speaker 9: The video then suddenly veers in a different direction, accompanied by dark images, loud music, mixed images of Governor with shirtless, muscular men, including actor Brad Pitt, A prominent group that represents LGBTQ conservatives also when on Twitter criticizing the video, saying Florida Governor can't tell the difference between common sense gaze and the radical left. Gaze labeled the scentist positions as dangerous and politically stupid.
Speaker 3: So I think that clip's also just a good reminder of the level of specialized political analysis that you're getting by listening to this show versus what you get on local news. This local news could never explain this, this campaign.
Speaker 1: At no if you if you were to hand this over to a team at MSNBC, they would die, they would be.
Speaker 3: That's the next cliff I have. The next cliff I have is them handing this over to MSNBC.
Speaker 1: This is one of my favorite days at work we've had.
Speaker 3: First of all, the DeSantis campaign sent out a tweet later that night saying, quote opposing the federal recognition of Pride Month isn't homophobic. We wouldn't support a month to celebrate straight people for sexual orientation. It's unnecessary, divisive and pandering. It's very very cool. So here is here is here's the cliff of of MSNBC reacting to this ad. It's it's, it's, it's gonna be. It's gonna be, It's gonna be. It's gonna be pretty good.
Speaker 13: Meanwhile, Governor DeSantis is defending a controversial and frankly bizarre campaign video that attacks for President Donald Trump's views on l g b t Q rights. Donnie Deutsch a man, extraordinary?
Speaker 3: What am I?
Speaker 1: What am I looking at?
Speaker 3: The extraordinaire is is stuffed? Okay, I be doing this for a long while.
Speaker 1: What what am I doing here?
Speaker 12: And the answer is, well, first of all, he's DeSantis is flailing and he's trying to continually move to the right of Trump.
Speaker 8: But this lgbt Q thing is just do you think this is moving voters?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: And to pay Trump as a patron of this group?
Speaker 11: Is you know?
Speaker 12: As an ad guy, There's one thing I learned over yours is people aren't stupid. Okay, you just and I don't know the voter that's going to see that and go, you know what, Trump, I'm going you're my guy.
Speaker 2: And it's just DeSantis is such a dark, dark, dark character.
Speaker 12: I've talked a lot about on the show, how at the end of the day a candidate Trump, even though you know, we eviscerate him, and there is a likability if you're a Trump.
Speaker 8: Guy about him.
Speaker 12: He's entertaining, He's a loungeacked.
Speaker 8: This guy is just the dark, the prince darkness.
Speaker 12: And that is one of the darkest, most bizarre, twisted, deviant ads I've ever seen.
Speaker 13: Well, he was defending it yesterday. Bipartisan backlash to the video, by the way, many people calling it homophobic, Governor DeSantis standing by the ad, calling it fair game.
Speaker 10: I think, you know, identifying Donald Trump as really being a pioneer in injecting gender ideology into the mainstream, where he was having men compete against women in his beauty pageants, I think that's totally fair game because he's now campaigning saying the opposite that he doesn't think that you should have men competing in women's things like athletics. And so we've been very clear on it that we believe in protecting the rights of our girls and the rights of women athletes to be able to participate paid with fairness and with integrity.
Speaker 13: In response to those remarks, Trump campaign spokesperson said, quote, a desperate dysanctus campaign with a flailing candidate is in its last throes of Relevancy's first off.
Speaker 1: Such bad analysis of that video, Yeah, I mean, if they're completely out of the death yeah. No, No, The point is not that he is so dark and evil. The point is that this is incompetent and impenetrable. You could just say that it's okay, Yeah, it's my job to understand this ship and I don't. Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: The beyond beyond, beyond descendis being the prince of darkness, as we've only established.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why try to make him sound cool. I know this is what he's doing.
Speaker 3: This is the thing, this is the thing they don't understand, right. This is why this is why Dark braindon happened by complete accident like it was. It was so effective because there was no way for liberals to concoct us themselves. They were there. They were only copying the stylings of of of like ironic leftists so yeah, everyone is just baffled by this sad saying like there's absolutely no way of understanding what's going on here. There's there's absolutely no like larger trends that that like maybe at play, but obviously we we've kind of offered some insight into what's been going on here. And in the end, DeSantis's attempt at fash wave has been rejected by conservative America either through it's just sheer like esoteric strangeness and also the kind of the the whittling away at at at Fashwave's power that the dark branded meme has been doing for so long. There's just nothing first of all appealing about this, which makes all that remains just incredibly just like just like off putting.
Speaker 6: So like.
Speaker 3: What we have here from DeSantis, like in the actual video, but besides the obvious like homophobia is a sort of like meme soup, combining some elements of like fash wave and some like dark Mega imagery with other imagery from from right wing meme tropes that have also gotten popular the past few years, like Patrick Bateman, who's who's kind of more popular in like the Schizzo wave subgenre just still heavily tied to fash wave. It kind of like it glorifies the setics of mental illness to push you towards doing like extremist violence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they should say the the aesthetics of like how a specific subculture depicts mental illness?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, And there's there's a bunch of other like pop culture sigma figures in this video. There's images of the real life Chad mistaken in news coverage as a generic body builder, but this is actually like a very specific online meme that's like not like it's not a niche. And there's there's also like a very specific uh dysantist Chad Wojack in this video. So and in the end, like this had temp kind of reviving a soft fash wave style or you know, kind of dark mega style for an attack ad by the Dissanda's campaign was basically wholesale rejected by conservative Americans and with with no with no other politicians co signing this. The only other mean notable figure who applauded this was Ian Miles Chung. No no, no one else of note thought this was a good idea. Most dissenttas of supporters were off putted. The only people who really like liked this were like chronically online fascist zoomers who are either not old enough to vote or just barely old enough to vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are teenage Nick Flintz fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like because like they're the only ones who are like well understand what's going on. So it like becomes a cohesive message because if the average viewer isn't turned off by like the intense homophobia or the anti Trump angle, the alienating editing style and online references and other and other kind of of bizarre attributes like the the the music, the flashing images, it either left most ordinary viewers confused or just like turned off. And so in the end, like I think there is there is a recurring trend here, and that like dark Mega didn't help the Republicans win the mid terms. Like that that was that was a pretty pretty big defeat for them. All of all of the work they were doing beforehand to like to like start getting people like wiled up, get making making like attention grabbing authoritarian memes, all of like the critical rice theory stuff. None of that panned out in the actual elections, and whatever DeSantis is doing sure doesn't seem to be helping him beat Trump. The only person who who is who is winning right at this is Dark Brandon. Dark Brandon strikes again. He is the one that it actually has made, has made sure that DeSantis cannot use this playbook. Dark Brandon is is sitting on a gargoyle over top of whatever city in Florida de Santis lives. Dark Brandon is our watchful protector. He is he is, he is our silent guardian.
Speaker 1: Garrison was just talking about this image of Dark Brandon sitting on a throne above. I'm gonna say, Miami, they lifted up their shirt to show their new Dark Brandon chest tattoo, and wow, that must have been what was that? Twelve hours in the chair? Gear big? What big?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 3: Well, the first day was thirteen hours, the second he was twelve hours. So good, thirteen twelve at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. That's good, very big. Well, you run out of batteryo or the eyes are always going to glow?
Speaker 3: No, Actually, those are fluorescents, So I have to stand in the sun for for like ten minutes to charge them up and it lasts about.
Speaker 1: Like five hours.
Speaker 6: Magic Haijake love that. Yeah, I have a conspiracy theory here. I believe that Ronda Santi's fourteen year old nephew, Groy Bitchad fourteen eighty eight, was extreme me online so online that his parents took away his phone and he just lost all contact with the internet circa like early twenty twenty two, and then run to Santa's asked him to make an advert, and this is what happened.
Speaker 1: So the advert.
Speaker 3: So I tried tracking down who made this advert. I messaged someone who I suspect of making it, who ignored my message. To be fair, I messaged them on my Julius Vola sock puppet on Telegram, and they still ignored my message. So I I there. The video was not created by the DeSantis team himself. It was it was it was. It was embedded in their war room Twitter feed. It was tracked back to this at a one time pro Trump account called Proud Elephant, who has a corresponding Telegram channel. So this guy Proud Elephant is, from what I can tell, the origin point of this video. I can't seem to find it in any earlier places. I've tried to getting into contact with him to figure out what his intentions were for, like if he made the video or if he found it from somewhere. But this is why I said, I clarified that the DeSantis team shared this video on their official campaign account. They did not make it themselves, which is also pretty funny because they didn't spend any money on this thing, and it still like was a massive shot in the face. Like it's just like huge, huge blowback. They didn't need to like embed this video made by like whatever weirdo loner who has like final cut pro on his computer, Like there's there's really there's really no reason, like they have an actual ad team and for some reason they did this instead.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 3: Also as a part of this research, I joined as many Dysantis Telegram channels as I could. I scrolled through months of posting. I scrolled through all like all three of the official Dysantis campaign Twitter accounts. Nothing else in their propaganda quite compares to this video. It is such a weird outlier that makes me really wonder, like who who both who who was operating the the DeSantis war room to Twitter account that like hit publish on this tweet with this with this video embedded, and like what their relation is to the rest of like the Dysantis like media strategy because it's just it's just it is. It is utterly, utterly baffling.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think some of it can come back to In twenty sixteen, kind of about a month so, I think before the election, the Trump campaign came out with this really weird, very four Chan inspired, sort of like ad video for the campaign that like a lot of Democrats, you know, made fun of, but it was a pretty effective ad. And I you know, I wrote about this some at the time, and I talked with the guy who'd been doing attack ats and stuff and was like, I don't know, I think this is a pretty successful ad because it it feels authentic in a way that pull up ads don't. And my guess is that when this got presented to them, people at the DeSantis campaign were like, well, this could be that for us, right, this could be us leaning into something that's it's new, but it's like real and it's representative of how kids, young people are talking these days, and that will build the kind of excitement and the kind of like conversation around our campaign that can help take us to the next level. And I think the thing that they missed there was that Trump in sort of, you know, signposting to that online alt right was adopting and kind of making his own a real movement that was representative of some things that were appealing to a lot of people. And this is not right, Like there's been no ground swell of people who are into this like these weird Like the only ground swell of a lot of normies getting into fash wave has been dark branded, Like normy Republicans did not adopt like this kind of shit in en Mass And I think it was a mistake, Like it was a it was a it was a mistake to think that like I don't know, like random like goop heads were going to see their candidate compared to a serial killer from a famously off putting movie and be like this.
Speaker 3: Is a good call for us. This this is my guy. Yeah, Like no, like not not everyone is like a seventeen year old suicidal alt right teenager, Like that's actually not their prime base if you want to win an election.
Speaker 1: There aren't many of you kids, Like they don't want teenagers voting at all.
Speaker 3: Which is it's also really weird that DeSantis has been given multiple opportunities to to pull back the ad saying it was it was a mistake.
Speaker 2: It was not.
Speaker 3: It was not officially made by our campaign. It shouldn't have been shared. But every time they've been given this opportunity, they doubled down on the Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's his whole thing though, like never admit fault, always pushing forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes that is. That is like a staple of fascism. But like yeah, yeah, man, well.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's good stabbing stuff. I'm well, Garrison, this has made my week.
Speaker 3: This has been a time to be alive. This has been far too much of my week has been putting together these like three thousand, four thousand words.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad. I'm glad everyone was able to come away from this as as enlightened as as God.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 1: I have entered a state of nosis. Thank you, thank you for.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 1: I've achieved enlightenment.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, long lived dark Brandom.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 3: It could happen here the production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 5: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio, app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, Updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com, slash sources.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.