Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast contains spoilers for the limited series Moon Night on Disney Plus, also the novel Hills, some light spoilers by Nicola Griffith, and a number of other fantasy novels, so beware. Hello, my name is Jason Stepsion. Welcome next Our Vision the Crooked Podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. In today's episode, and previously on lots of comic book news, lead casting announcement in the upcoming Percy Jackson series on Disney Plus Plus. The MCU's Ironheart series has named its directors, and we will do our recap of episode three of Moonnight. In the airlock. We're gonna be talking about out fantasy and sci fi authors, especially by queer and marginalized authors. And then for the Hive Mind, we'd be talking to award winning author of many stories including Ammonite, including So Lucky and one of Rosie and My favorites Hilled Nicola Griffith, and in our nerd out, a listener will pitch us on the Illuminatus trilogy. Joining me today to talk about all of that and more is The Great, the Powerful The Godzilla comic book creating various theory pieces, writing the great content creating. Rosie Knight, Rosie, how are you?
Speaker 2: It's me. I'm okay, I have it's content mind. I'm scared of the content creating minds. One day to be here.
Speaker 1: The minds are endless and they never stop, and you have to just keep mining the same stuff.
Speaker 2: It's like being Instadgy's just there's too many levels. Just you's going down, always something else to mine.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into the news. Marvel Comics announced recently at the Fan Expo in Philadelphia a new title, All Out Avengers. This seems like it's going to be kind of in the vein of non stop Spider Man created by the creative team. All Out of Avengers is of Greg land Who, the artist Greg land Who if you've listened to us and you know Greg land can be divisive, and the novelist Derek Landy. This apparently is going to be a kind of like it seems just reading parsing the press release tea leaves gonna be something of a Ultimates kind of take on the Avengers, more action packed. Certainly, you know, the press release basically says they're going to just drop you media res into the middle of some pitch battle and it's going to be like that, just fight, fight, fight, fight fight, action action action action. Your thoughts, Yeah, thoughts on Greg Land?
Speaker 2: Well, I've had a lot of Greg Land photo tracing. No, but here's one of those artists where every soften I'll see a piece of art and I'm like, Oh, my fucking god, that's Greg Land. That is so fucking good. And I really hope he's bringing that angle to this. He can be good, he can be good like and you know what, the thing that I really like about this is it's doing the thing that Marvel does best, which is where Marvel looks to what indie comics are doing, looks to what weird other licenses are doing, and it's like, oh, we should be doing that. And there's been this incredible space. You know, We've talked about that, James Stoko, Godzilla stuff like there is you know, these unbelievable artists, Michael Fife, like, there's all these different people who are making these comics. Well, when you pick them up, you feel like you're just in an action movie. You feel even that, you know, I have a lot of moral quandaries with it, but the Keanu Reeves comic that he that he wrote with Matt Kintzak. You know that those comics, there's just this unbelievable tone, just boom boom boom boom, action explosions. It's not necessarily about like a deeper narrative or selling an ip for a movie. It's about the kinetic force of what comic book art can do. Like Young Avengers, you know, we talk about that a lot, that era of Marvel. They were doing stuff where you just go, oh my god, how how did this happen? How did you put this on the page? And I love that the description is they're just like action explosions, no questions. So I want to see what that looks like. And I'm hoping it's going to be weird and explosive and kind of really exciting, because that's not something I feel like we're getting as much in Big two comics. So I will be open minded to it, and I will definitely put the first issue on my pull list.
Speaker 1: Next we get a new big news. This is kind of big news, secretly big news, really huge read.
Speaker 2: This is definitely big news.
Speaker 1: Yes, a new origin for Thor. Marvel has announced that a new event one million BC, we'll release this ter line will delve into the newly revealed origin of Thor, our favorite god of Thunder. The image that this announcement was teased with showed the phoenix for symbol. No further details were available, but of course we learned back in twenty twenty one that Lady Phoenix, who is the original host of the Phoenix well original the host of it that we know right right, the host of the Phoenix Force in a million BC, is actually Thor's real mom. So there is da There was that reveal, So this is going to be very interesting. Your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, mix up this weird stuff. I the Phoenix Force. It's truly immortal in the world of Marvel Comics, like it will always be there. It's echo Hou holds the Phoenix Force every different character, you know. I love the Phoenix Force. I'm my eighties X men baby, so I'm here to see it. I love Thor, I love word cosmic stuff, so I'm open to it. As always, as we always say on the shows to the people who listen, anything like this is always interesting to keep an eye on if you love the MCU, because when they set up something like this, it could end up in a different way. I'm not saying that in Thor, Love and Thunder Thor is gonna suddenly hold the Phoenix Force or connect with it, but the idea of changing Thor's origin, of introducing something that's not fully as Guardian, that seems like they could be seeding something. Also, that issue Avenges forty three, that's got letters by like one of my favorite letters, Corey Pettit, so shout out to Corey anytime I see his name. I'm like, yeah, those's good.
Speaker 1: And to your point, we are entering a period of the MCU where we can reasonably expect to see the X Men, Jean Gray, potentially the Phoenix Force arrive on screens, you know, in the in the near term, so you never know. Exciting next up, AX, how would we pronounce his AX Judgment day? AXE Judgment Day? What do you think? Do you think this is.
Speaker 2: Pree for all? I think it's because it's called the periods. I think it's AX, but obviously the acronym is AX, so that sounds cool as hell. And they probably also want you to.
Speaker 1: Say acts from a really a wow blockbuster creative team of Kieran Gillen one of our favorites period and Valario Shitty the Wonderful Artist comes Ax Judgment Day and this so the press, Rea says, quote kicking off after the Eternals boldly attack Mutant Kind's new home in Kracoa. Why would you do that? Internal spoiler alert, don't do that. This complex saga will pay off various plants thirds that have defined these franchise in recent years, including muton Kinds new found immortality, the Eternals discovery of long hidden truth about their species, and the Avengers intense dealings with the Celestials. So a pretty big crossover event with and this one, I think for sure will have some revealed absolutions in the MCU going forward.
Speaker 2: We we've long said and this is not just us too, This is we as the general fan. This is you who's listening. This is people at home, This is people who have only really read a couple of trades. It has seemed like for a long time a really smart way for them to bring the X Men into the MCU would be some kind of Avengers versus x Men. That's a badass team up explosion. It's the kind of thing everyone wants to see and now that the Eternals exist in the MCU, it seems like it's probably not a coincidence to reimagine that battle including the Eternals, who have often been on the outside of things. I'm sure there's a different universe, a different timeline that we would be living in where this would be Avengers, X Men and the Inhumans, but that's not the world we're living in. We're living in the world of the Eternals, you know, And so I think it's very telling. I think this is really exciting because I read amore X Men number one, which was Kieran Gillan jumping back on the X Men after a while, and it was so good and so funny and so exciting. It launches the new age of the Second Age of Krokoha, which they're calling the Age of Destiny, because the lady and icon Destiny is back. I love her, and she's.
Speaker 1: Back saying she's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's some crazy Sun's so crazy. Will never win. Everyone knows that's the rule. Like, you can't do anything about it.
Speaker 1: So every time she's got something to say, I'm like that, Oh, there we go.
Speaker 2: Oh that's why Moira tagget, you know, she didn't want her back. She said, no, pre cogs, it's a bad idea. And so I think this is going to be a massive event. I think the creative team is badass.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: If you have recently set up a Paul List and have X Men books on it, you may experience for the first time the epic highs and devastating lows of an event where suddenly there's twenty five books in your thing. But it seems like this will be relatively small. I think it's going to be like Immortal X Men X Men Red, so it's going to be X tight or heavy. But this is one I think to keep an eye on because, like we said, blockbuster Creative Team unreal art, but also could potentially seed some things that we may be seeing in the future of them.
Speaker 1: I agree. So it's interesting to think about, like, really, how close I mean, two of the three teams already exist, right, We've got the Avengers here, Eternals are here, X Men to come. But I keep thinking, so, you know, in the comics, the Avengers eventually move into the like the body of a celestial to use as their new Age Q And of course at the end of Eternals, right, we've got this celestial that is sticking out of the ocean and very cool looking, very very cool, and I have to assume that at some point an Avengers team is going to move in there. Do you have any thoughts about who would be a member of that team?
Speaker 2: Surprisingly, I do so. I think that we're about to enter the era that we have so smartly how the Jacket Avengers they wore bomber jackets. They included you know, Circe who he saw. They included Dane Whitman as Black Knight. They included uh, you know, wonder Man, somebody who we know is deeply connected to wander and Vision. You know. I think that there's a lot of potential hercules someone that we've been expecting to see in this Avengers for a long time. I think that we could see I think that we're on the right track imagining that we're going to see multiple different versions of the Avengers. But I think that if we're going to get like a primary just Avengers team, I think we're looking more at that kind of like Jacket Avengers kind of wild era that also is an era that could cross over with like a Monica Rambo. Yeah, Avengers, you know which I think is very likely. So could we see a sword kind of created Avengers. I want to see them living in that celestial That was like so cool.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be Monica Rambo, Jane Foster thor doctor Strange.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what Falcon Captain America.
Speaker 1: That with Falcon Cats in America ye blade Oh yeah, and then whatever they're going to like, uh whoever the new Black Panther.
Speaker 2: Is yes, which we will see when Wakanda Forever comes out.
Speaker 1: So very exciting. Yeah, I can't wait to pick this one up. Next up, we go to d C DC's Death of Justice League and Dark Crisis. DC is promoting the Justice League's demise in the Death of Justice League the final issue of the series, and that's it. They're not going to do Justice League anymore again. Ever again, it happened over, It's done, that's it. Fans were told Justice League. Justice League would face a dark army of villains, but now we get our first look at who makes up this villainous group. In preview RT for Justice League number seventy five, which is out will be out next week. It has come from the creative team Josh Williamson and artist Ralfisnoval your thoughts on the death of Justice League in Dark Crisis.
Speaker 2: I'm such a fan of Joshua Williamson and everything that he's done on this. I really discovered him during his time on Flash, and I just think he's doing a lot of really exciting stuff. I deeply respect and appreciate the editorial idea of basically eliminating the Justice League just before this kind of huge trial of the Amazons and introducing this new age of themis gerra I think it's really smart. I love creepy dark Dark Crisis. I like the you know, I like the metal stuff that they were doing with DC. It was really over the top and kind of ninety six. Dream Raffer is a great artist, so I think this is really interesting. It it feels almost a bit like to me, like people aren't talking about it, and I feel like when it happens, people are going to start talking about it, you know, Like this is even though we know as comic book fans, the Justice League is not gonna go away forever spoiler right, spoiler, it's still a big deal. Like remember when they killed Superman Superman, that's we still talk about that event, Like this is a thing that is occurring. I mean it's.
Speaker 1: As I cried, an Adventures dissemble and this was like the second time in five years that didn't even think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, there's like really cool artists, Like I really like Stephanie Phillips, She's done a brilliant job writing like Harlequin, a bunch of cool stuff. Leila del Luca is an amazing artist. Emmanuela Lupaccino, like they're gonna have They're gonna they're bringing in like an a team, And I want to see what the ramifications are because there's a lot of books people really love at the moment, you know, the night Wing stuff is like so spectacular. Like, I want to know how this affects it. What does it mean for Trial of the Amazons? You know, is it gonna be is that gonna leave a power vacuum that's gonna impact that? Or is this more of a kind of will there be a twist that means this doesn't really affect it. I like to see how these things tie in, so I think it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Next up, Percy Jackson on Disney Plus Casts its title role cast. It's Percy, the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series at Disney Plus has cast Walker Scobell from you might know him from the Netflix film The Adam Project and title role. The series, of course, is an adaptation of the Rick reard In book series and was ordered by the streamer back in back in January. This is relevant because, and particularly for today's episode, where we're trying to focus on creators who are elevating voices and working from a personal experience that is out of perhaps what people are considered the mainstream. We're talking about disability, literature, queer creators, queer characters, etc. And Percy Jackson has both ADHD and dyslexia and triumphs and takes part in a bunch of rip roaring adventures despite these his disabilities NERD and has long been an advocate for marginalized and underrepresentative of voices in why fiction. And I know that this is something as our producer Saul was telling us in the pre pro meeting, this is something that a lot of fans of the series have really been waiting for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the movies didn't necessarily deliver for everyone on kind of the scope of what these can be, So I think a series gives a long kind of format storytelling is like a better space for telling these kind of epic stories of a kid who's like half god, half human, you know. And yeah, and he definitely the ADHD and dyslexia thing is way ahead of its time, and the way that Rick writes it is it is, it's helpful, it's what makes him him, you know. It's very much in the mindset of how people think about disability now, which is it's a part of you, and it's a good part of you. It's just society that doesn't see it. And I'm a big fan of Rick, not just because of these books, which obviously, like we read, they were one of those primary sci fi fantasy kind of books when you're a kid, but he has a he actually has an imprint called Rick Rawdan Presents, which is like specifically focused on publishing brilliant middle grade and kind of sci fi fantasy, magical books but like from underrepresented authors. And I've seen so many incredible books come out of that imprint, and I just think he's kind of doing that thing that you always hope when somebody writes something that's really special to you, which is the bigger his platform grows, the more good he does with it. And I think something that's really exciting about a Percy Jackson show on Disney plass is I think that that mentality is going to come through into the show and I'm really excited to see how it translates to the on screen representation as well. And I like that they cast the actual kid this kid as well, he's a baby, Like that's what I want to see.
Speaker 1: Up next, Ironheart gets its directors. Ryan Coogler is joining as a producer. This per Deadline, Marvel's Ironheart series on Disney Plus is moving into the different stages of production now. Of course, Ironheart is the story of Reary Williams, who is as of now canonically the smartest character in the Marvel universe, a genius inventor, kind of like the heir to a lot of the things that Tony Stark has done. She will get her own advanced suit of armor. And of course we're down, We're down in iron Man right now. We need we need someone in the armor right now, and it very much could be Reree Williams at some point in time. Your thoughts, This is really exciting, Yeah, it's really exciting.
Speaker 2: It connects to one of the things that we love the most, which is like the reality that really is going to be a big part of the Black Panther world.
Speaker 1: It's Yeah, with.
Speaker 2: Ryan being there, it seems like that is the case.
Speaker 1: We were talking about this in a pre pro and you had I don't know if this is your theory, but it was the first I heard of it. You had a good theory about how they may approach Black Panther going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is my current theory. I think that Marvel really sees the impact that Black Panther had and the what it meant to people around the world, what it meant to black people, what it meant to African American people in America, and I think that they're going to use it as a tempole space for black heroes, and I think that is going to be their hub. I think that Reary Williams, who went to MIT and it is like this unbelievably smart student. I don't think it's a coincidence that Ryan Coogler is producing that show and that Black Panther is one of the few movies were kinda Forever that has ever been allowed to film actually on the MIT campus because they said it would elevate the school and promote the meanings. I don't think that you're going to go to MIT and not see re Re, you know, and we just say, you know, Rua Williams created by Eve Ewing, who's just so brilliant, Mike Darto, Brian Michael Bendis, Kevin Lebron, They're like, this is a crew. But Eve was such a huge part of bringing Reedy to life and making this character that we just all love so much who immediately became a fan fave. And also, if you think about re Read, the thing I think is really exciting about this is this is not just about new black characters. We're about to go into Armor Wars, so we're gonna have this story where Roady is going to be at the center of Armor Wars. It's going to be a story about somebody misusing Stark Tech, and Roady is going to need as many people as possible on his side who understands Stark Tech, who understand technology. Tony is no longer there. I would love to see re Re brought in have a major part of that storyline.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it's a I don't think it's a mistake either. That uh MJ played by the wonderful Daya and in Spider Man No Way Home where she going to college, she's going to Mit. I think that they are. It can't be a coincidence we're looking. I would imagine that they will meet. And to your point, maybe this is the the we're kind of witnessing the early formations of what will be a hub for the Brown superheroes in the MCU. Let's go to our recap of Moonnight episode three, The Friendly Type, written by Bodomeo and Peter Cameron and Sabir Prasada and directed by Mohammed Diab. This was I was not expecting this episode to delve into Stephen slash Marks experiences with this kind of like consciousness dislocation, essentially mental illness in the way that it presents, and this did it in a really evocative and interesting way. Let's get into recap. Okay Layla had We open with what we can only expect to be some kind of cold open of which we will learn more. Layla is having her passport forged, and she is griping about Mark and what just went down with the SCAAB and how now she has to go back to home to Egypt, and she's not really too enthused about going back to Egypt. She's been gone ten years, during which time she has been busy repatriating ancient relics, which is a highly moral, of course activity, also a very illegal activity, and also one which she's not exactly doing out of the goodness of her heart. She is she admits, like, yeah, making money from some of that, Like I returned most of them, and then some of them I do sell for a profit. Layla's father, we learn, was archaeologist, which is very much in keeping with the original Moon Night. Yeah, it's the original moon Night comic.
Speaker 2: If Layla is on Marline, who is Moonnight's often lover and partner. Her father was an archaeologist. Her father was innate to the origins of Moonnight, which we also get into this episode, so definitely taking from those comacs.
Speaker 1: And apparently her dad taught her the importance of the forged documents when smuggling illicit artifacts across borders, and we're left to wonder what possibly her dad would think of her now. And then we flashed through the desert. Somewhere in the desert, Arthur Harrow, guided by the scab arrives at a mountain and we understand that this must be the tomb of Ahmit. Elsewhere we meet Mark media res like he is running into three tough guys, three local guys who have just killed some person that has information that Mark needs. And they are apparently in some way either working for or affiliated with Arthur Harrow, and they have knives and they twirl them flashily, and then Mark fights them and he seems to have things pretty much in hand, but then he seizes reflection in a knife blade, and all of a sudden, he's hurtling through time and we understand that he's lost time. Now this is very interesting because you'd think, and we have been primed to expect that when something like this happens, the Stephen or whoever the other person is that is, you know, waiting on the bench, will then seize the body. But instead Mark has just lost an unknown amount of time. And he finds himself in the back of a taxi on the way to the airport, and he as he's driving by, he sees two of the tough guys that he was just fighting on the street and he goes out and he goes to fight them again, but then another glance at his reflection, and the cycle repeats, and now Mark is somewhere else in the city having just murdered one of the guys. What do you think is going on here? Is because this is interesting, This.
Speaker 2: Is the thing, This is the interesting moment. So when it first happens, I think we see Stephen say Mark stop doing that or something, and you think, oh, well, Stephen's taking the body. But as Mark wakes up and he's stabbed this guy killing him, you know, the body count here is very high. Mark's like, Stephen, what did you do? Steven's like, right, I didn't do that. So that I think the implication is here.
Speaker 1: Jake Lockley way.
Speaker 2: Because they are reimagining these characters in ways that we haven't seen before. So it could be Jake Lockley. It could be, for all we know, Konshu like a more he's violently. It could be a character we haven't met yet. It could be a reimagining of mister Knight. But obviously I think the the immediate answer would be Jake Lockley. And if I was Easter air hunting, which I always am, I would say Mark waking up in the back of a taxi, Jake Lockley.
Speaker 1: As a taxi driver.
Speaker 2: I feel like they won us to think of that. Also, a funnyasterg from the opening Forger section, which is only for people with hard of hearing or who have captions on the forger who is credited as a forger. They name her Leagaro, which is this really funny like nineteen forties Marvel Egyptian hero who is also called Dyna Man. So no, it's not the character, but that was the funny st egg. But yeah, I think we're venturing into more altars or personalities, or whichever version they decide to do. And I think that, though it doesn't really get explored much further here, I think a lot of people who are watching the show are wondering when we're going to see that, because it's such a key part of his personality. And this definitely hints that we're on the way there, and also that both Mark and Stephen are less comfortable with violence than we first thought.
Speaker 1: And then there's a burgeoning alliance kind of a relationship at least between the two, if a rocky one, it will be interesting to see how they both react to the understanding that there are more than them coming back three because I don't. I don't think they've grasped that quite yet. Although we are left with the with the absolutely quite clear fact that there's someone not Stephen, not Mark, who is coming through.
Speaker 2: I think you actually touched on something there that's that I hadn't necessarily given the show credit for the two the two of them being the primary personalities at this point as we know, it seemed like a strange choice to me. But now that you mentioned that, I guess it's given them time to kind of get to know each other, build a rapport before potentially there is more conflict. So it becomes a situation where it's the two of them together understanding whatever is about tappen next in this episode and the following three.
Speaker 1: So Mark has just killed one of the tough guys that leaves him with one more. Kanshu comes through as a voice and is like, torture this guy, but this one is really like a kid, like a young kid, and a bunch of things happen, and basically the kid, uh you know, is being held up by like his tie and he cuts the tiny falls to his death. Mark argues then with Stephen. He warns Steven, listen, you got to stay out of my way. Mark wants to ask the other gods for help. Why don't we ask the other gods for help? Well, you know, why don't we? Why don't we tell them what hero is planning? And kan She was like, no, they would, they wouldn't. They would just get annoyed. They're tired of me. They don't want to listen to me. They if if I'm involved, they will just ignore it. But I but actually I think I do know a way how we could get their attention without you having to go with them. Uh, and it's a bad plan, but just let me go. So basically, Kanshu causes an eclipse. So immediately the gods opened a portal and are like, Mark, come here, you need to talk to us, because this is a no no, just kind of like displaying to the to humanity that we exist. Mark goes to the portal. He finds himself inside the Great Pyramid at Giza. Mark meets the avatars of the gods. Basically, they're human representatives on Earth who the gods will speak through on occasion. One of them is Yatsul, who is the representative of hathor goddess of music and love and apparently you're left too. We are left to surmise an old flame of Kanshu, just like left on red after a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, consh She's like that was a time when Konschu used to like my rhythm. He's too upset to like yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other gods and their representatives include Horace, Isis, tefnut Osiris, and Hathor of course, and they take control of their avaturus bodies, and they invite Kanschhu to take control of Stephen slash Mark and to make his case about what's going on and what they should do about Ahmed and Arthur Harrow. The gods have long huge to a philosophy of non intervention in human affairs, because, as they say, the humans to have just moved past them. They don't really care about us anymore. So we've kind of been, you know, doing things in the background. Kan Chu finds this to be weak. A weak course of action is like basically cowardly, and he charges Arthur Harrow, his former avatar, with attempting to release Omit. Harrow arrives through a portal to defend himself. He denies that this is what he's doing. Kan Chu then using the Mark Spector receiver and Grant body takes a swing at Arthur Harrow, He's stopped by one of the gods who's like, listen, you can't do that here. There's no violence here. What are you doing. Haro then accuses Kanshu of essentially exploiting a mentally ill manned Stephen Grant slash Mark Spector, a person who is, you know, a quite willing servant, an avatar of Kanchu, but also one who is not in a place, is not in a place to really give their consent to be the avatar of Kanchu. And I think Haro, from what we've seen, I think Arthur Harrow has something of a point. But of course we don't know the whole story yet, but I would say that it certainly it looks bad for Kanschhu. He was not the most trustworthy of gods. From what we've seen.
Speaker 2: Does Arthur wanna like be killing people minority reports? Yes, they can make yes, yes in this moment, in this pyramid is the episode? Does he seem like he's making lots of good points and legitimately canall Stephen and Mark. Absolutely. That's why I came away from this episode. I was like one Stephen, Mark not very good at like this would have been so easy to just cover up and be like, I'm doing fine. This guy's trying to release Alma. He has a compass. They were struggling, they were going through it, and Harrow came off looking good. So no surprise is that the gods were.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, Mark. Mark then admits that to the room, to the avatars of the gods, to Kanchu, and to Arthur. Harrow's like, listen, uh, I'm going through it a little bit and I need help. For sure, I would like some help. And that was I felt that that was a big step for Mark to take. But he also says, listen, that doesn't change the fact that Arthur Harrow wants to go on a killing spring. He wants to kill a lot of people, and he wants to release Omit to do that. He wants to just commit genocide on a global scale. And then the gods are likenh we go with Harrow and the matters closed. That's it, We're shutting it down. They leave, but then Yatzil hangs around clearly has some sort of warm feeling for Mark, and she points Mark to a clue by which he might find Omit's tumb without the scareub the Sarcophagus of Senfu, which apparently has recently hit the black market. Leyla and Mark reunite. You get a feeling from these scenes that clearly they were actually in love. At one point, and Mark tells her that he's listen, I'm sorry for hiding how much I was struggling from you, and they come to an uneasy piece. They then arrive at the home of Mogart, the antiquities dealer on the banks of the Nile, where they are going to find sin Foo's sarcophagus. Leaylan and Mark are posing as this kind of like married couple who just want to study this sarcophagus for a second. Mogart is like, why are you so interested in sin foo sarcophagus? And Mark's like, ADDI yeah, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Mark does another bad job, but covering up, He's like.
Speaker 1: Very bad, very very bad Mark. Then, of course, of course Mark doesn't know anything about Egyptology, right, and Laylan knows some stuff, but not as much as this third person who is waiting in the wings, Stephen Grant. And Mark is like, I know that I need to let Stephen out so he can read these higher glyphs so we can understand how to find om It's tomb. But I really don't want to do it, but fuck okay, I'll do it. Stephen then talks Mark through the puzzle and the sarcophagus. Before they can learn anything, Mogart interrupts and takes Mark prisoner. Then Harrow interrupts, offering Mogart the Scarab in exchange for Layla and Mark, who's surely like he's gonna kill soon after. Harrow then vows Wow's Mogart with a small display of its power. Mark dons the suit and then we get the big fight and it is an action packed episode Moonnight and Laylah versus Harrow's people and and Mogart's people. Laila we see can really handle herself.
Speaker 2: And they are killing people. They killing people.
Speaker 1: They're flat out dropping people to the ground. And we also get a great uh We get a great front row view seat of how powerful the Moonnight suit is and Kanshu's blessing is because he is stopping bullets with his cape. He is taking damage that is not killing him.
Speaker 2: Ice comic book Moon Cape, you know, he jumps off and you see, it's in the Crescent Moon, and it's all very common. This is actually very superhero episode in the way.
Speaker 1: That really we get to see how how deadly Moonnight is with those moon orangs, possibly crafted by Clint Barton in the past. Stephen Grant watching all of this from somewhere else, you know, inside the consciousness of Mark is appalled and the violence. Yeah, he's appalled at the violence that Specter is unleashing. And he manages to seize control of the body, and all of a sudden, the suit morphs into the Mister Knight variety. He immediately gets impaled by a spear and he's like, okay, you know what, Mark, you take it? Yeah, I got about you take it. And so Mark is just like back in the body and is immediately like double speared by by some of Morgart's men. Meanwhile, Layla is at the Sarcophagus and she's fighting one of Margo's henche's, and we watch as Layla takes off her necklace, which we think is just like a stylish and striking statement piece, but no, it's actually like a double edged like dagger, too dagger than street. She straight up murders a sorry back and then runs to Mark's rescue, but gets the wind knocked out of her by Margot and Mark needing to run to her rescue, then like just basically snaps all the spears out of his body, which is a really impressive display of healing factor. He then kills Margot with a moon orang. Layla grabs the whatever was in Sanfu's tomb, which we've later learned as a map, and they and they go off to find out. In the car, Laila and Mark are talking about what Harrow had said about Mark and all the things he had revealed about how Mark was mentally ill and how he's struggling, although they don't quite you know, name it as anything. And she's upset that. She's like, you know, every time I find out something about you, it's like you're a whole new other person. It's like I don't know you at all. And Mark, kind of surprisingly but also refreshingly, he's like, you're right, you don't know me. Now. Don't let Harrow, you know, get in between us. Don't let him poison us against each other, because we need to stay strong right now. And after a while they arrive at a place in the desert where they can read this map, which turns out to be a star map. They have to call Stephen again because he's the only one that can put all these pieces together in the way that they need to go together. Mark is annoyed again, but he knows it's right. Stephen takes over, and what I think is one of the best single moments of acting, like in a Disney plus Marvel show, is Oscar Isaac looking into his reflection as Mark Spector and then wordlessly transforming into Stephen Grant with just like a relaxation of his face. It was really really cool. Stephen then swings into action. He's really excited by all this. He assembles the map while man explaining ancient Egyptian navigation techniques. But apparently, here's the thing. The map was created thousands of years ago. The stars have moved since then, so they need to know the actual date of when this map was created in order for them to figure out where Amus tomb is. Kanshu comes back Conch. She's like, oh, you know what, I remember the night that this was created. Really well, give me a hand, Stephen, do do what I do. Let's turn the stars back to the positions they were thousands of years ago on the night this map was created. So they do so, and people all around the world, we would assume, although we only see people in Egypt, but we would assume all around the world people would see the sky just warping with trails of stars as the sky gets rewound back centuries and centuries and centuries and centuries. And of course we understand that the gods had already warned Kanshu about the eclipse, and so they as as soon as they get wind of this, which is quite quickly, they are going to lock Kanchu up. Yeah, and Kanhu's like, listen when that happens, Mark, I need you to free me. So okay, They're gonna lock me up, and then I need you to free me. The god's an imprisoned Conshu in a que country statue. They just like suck his energy. It was there already there are and and his energy goes into it. Stephen collapses or Mark or whoever he is in that moment, Jake Blockley who knows, and the gods avatars show Harrow the Conshu statue and Haro's like, hey, can I be alone to just kind of like talk shit to this. He can hear me in there, right, and they're like, yeah, we think so He's like, all right, let's just give me a little privacy so I can talk shit to this to Kanchu Haro, it's quite clear from the things he says now carries a lot of animosity and probably rightly so, from his time as Conchu's avatar. And then he essentially says, listen, what I'm gonna do with AMA's help, I e Mass murder on a global scale. It's really it's really your fault. It's your fault, one hundred percent, your fault for the way that you treated me as your avatar and for the things I had to do as your avatar. And we are onto episode four next week. Your thoughts on this on this episode, Rosie.
Speaker 2: There's lots of stuff to dig into here. I mean, this introduces us. One of the things I think is really interesting is this introduces us to like the Egyptian gods. And obviously they are real gods from real history, but in Marvel, those gods all exist. So it's like the Heliopolitans is what they call them. That's basically like a god supergroup. So I thought that was really interesting. A lot of connections to Thor. That's where Isis and Osiris all debuted in nineteen seventy five Store two three nine. Like, I thought that was really interesting because I wonder if we're gonna ever get to the space of having like an ancient Egyptian as guardian kind of space in the Marvel universe. We know that they mentioned are the members in Black Panther, you know they mentioned bast so I thought that was really cool. I like anything that's like cosmic or mythological. I think the Jake Lockley was it him? Was it not? Is there another altar coming through? That's the big theory piece. I also think that this is a really big episode for Leila, who is definitely like huge one of our favorite characters. May Klamaui is just so great. She has this real evy from the Mummy energy. She's very like cheeky, and she turns up in Egypt to help Mark even though he's mad, disrespectful, he wanted to get divorce. He didn't tell her. He has like a secondary personality like Steven's kind of winning creepy to her, but she was just there. She was like, pow, I don't care I'm going to Egypt. I'm gonna help you out and in this so we really learn in this episode that they're definitely leaning into the scarlet scarab thing. If you actually watch the trailers, there's a photo of Layla and her dad and next to it is a scarlet piece of cloth with a scarab onnet. So I really think we're getting that Marlene mixed with this potential connection that she may have to the Scarab. I'm I'm really interested to see where things go, because this is another show like Hawkeye Wear. For example, Anton Mogart, who you mentioned, is this in this is this kind of art dealer, black market dodgy guy. He's been to madrapor with Leila. That's a big drop. In the comics, he is a Moonnight villain. He debuted in Moonnight number three and he was called Midnight Man Midnight Man, And so did he really die in this episode or are we going to see him come back again and kind of be a more primary antagonist. It looked like he didn't do very well, but in the comics he gets like disfigured and then comes back as a kind of masked hero who works alongside the Number one Missing character from this series likely a good thing. Ral Bushman, who is like a was Moonnight's partner on the Fateful Trip where he gained his powers. That's a very problematic character, so if they reimagined, it would have to be kind of like a Umbaku Star reimagining, where you take a character that has really problematic elements and make something really special. The fact that Mogart was there makes me think that we might have some kind of Bushman illusion or situation as we go forward, because also in this episode, Harrow hints at what happened to Laila's dad on this archaeological quest, and we also know that in Moonnight's origin, as you've mentioned before, he was part of a kind of terrible tragedy in the desert, and we know that in this show Mark Spector was accused of murdering an archaeologist. So I think we can put together some clears that there's going to be a tragic situation going on, and.
Speaker 1: We should mention that the actor Gaspard Uliel, who played Anton Morgart, passed away this January in a skiing accident. The mage poor name drop was interesting because clearly, you know Madrapoor is a city of a vast illegal interests, so it would make sense that stolen antiquities moved through there, and of course it's a place that has strong ties to the X Men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the wildest thing to me. Like every time they say, I know they established it, Sharon Carr, powerbroker, that's probably where they're going. But I always think of the X Men of Wolverine, of Patch. You know, it's so exciting every time I hear them say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so just just for people who don't know, in uh, I think it's supposed to In like early nineties, late eighties, Wolverine got his own solo series. And how this guy managed to be in the X Men and then do all the adventures he did on his own while traveling like coast to coast and internationally, I don't know. But this guy was a very busy guy, and he spent a lot of time living in Madopoor under this persona of Patch who is this kind of Rapscallion bar Denizen later club owner who rubbed elbows with pirates and various gangsters, but was a good guy. And you know, honestly, most of Wolverine is set there. So whenever magicpoor comes up, I'm thinking, oh gosh, here comes the x Menter.
Speaker 2: And we in Falcon and the Winter Soldier. They even had the Princess Bar, which is where Patch would always hang out, So like they want us to make those connections. And I also saw put a really cool note that I wouldn't really have thought of, which is like post Shang Chi, Jai Ling is running the ten Ring and that's obviously going to be deeply connected to Madripal. Now that Sharon Kaw and Leila, I'm like, yeah, probably, But Jai Ling and Leila, I'm like, I would like to see that, Like that's a relationship I want to know about. Like, so I think they this is an episode where it seems like it's just this action packmom superhero, but it seems like they're they're spreading a lot of seeds that could kind of sprout into different things, whether they're in this show or in The Great or MCU.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. And I can't help but notice that the episode starts with Mark Spector losing time, passing out, losing time, waking up in a different place, not knowing how he got there. We can only assume that someone else was in control of the body, but not Stephen, because Steven's not talking about it, and Steven doesn't seem to know what happened either. And here at the end of this we have Stephen, who was in control at the time, passing out after Conshou's energy is trapped in the statue. I wonder, when Mark slash Stephen wake up where we are? Like where we are? Is that a moment when Jake or whoever the other personality is comes through. But I think I would expect that we're going to a new kind of place in the next episode.
Speaker 2: I think so too, especially if you think about how prominent the museum was in the first episode, and then in the second episode, has Stephen got closer to Mark, the museum was suddenly he was fired, he suddenly couldn't be there anymore. And in this episode when he's embracing Mark, he's in Egypt. So the idea of another altar, another personality, another side of himself coming out, it makes sense that that would potentially lead us to a different space.
Speaker 1: And it's also interesting to me, and who knows if this means anything, but when this unknown personality came through, it was when to your point one, it kind of hints that maybe certainly Mark is maybe less has less of an affinity for violence than we were expecting, which would And it was also moments where it seemed like the body of Steven slash Mark was in its most perilous state, which would kind of it suggests maybe that whoever the other personality is, that they are somehow letting Stephen and Mark run around and do things until like there's an emergency and they need to take control. So it would suggest that whoever that other personality is, they are moving pieces around in a more direct way than either Stephen or Mark and have more of a full picture maybe than Steven or Mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely there is a hint here, and for the beginning, I thought from the beginning, I thought it was quntrue, but we know that that's not the case now. And also something else interesting to think about is like who is keeping them alive? Who is giving them the power? If Konshu has been trapped in the comics, Mark being separated from Konshu usually leads to him losing his powers or having to regain them in a different way by meeting the priests of Konshu by gaining an artifact. So I think that the idea that there may be more puppet master alter or a different person who is more in control and is allowing them to kind of have their fun where they can until it becomes dangerous would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: When we're back, we'll be discussing fantasy and science fiction and interviewing the great author Nicola Griffith. Welcome to the air lock. This podcast is coming out on Friday, April fifteenth, and it is the same day that the latest Fantastic Beasts movie is releasing in theaters. We won't be covering that just because you know, I have covered a lot of JK Rowling content over the course of my career, and I've enjoyed it. But I just don't think that I can I can possibly give her money anymore or take part in any kind of situation that would potentially give her money, particularly with the kind of climate in society right now towards trans people and the increasing peril and aggressive language that the lgbt q AI community writ large is being faced with. So we wanted to take this opportunity to just talk about other authors, other creatives in the sci fi fantasy space, with a focus on queer creators, creators of color, just like a more diverse set of sci fi and fantasy creators. That's what we I wanted to do. So with that, gosh, do you have any thoughts on the New Fantastic Beast movie and JK. Rowling in general and this whole situation that we find ourselves in.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do have. I do have thoughts about it. I am exactly on the same page as you. You know, this is something that was a large part of my childhood. I am the age that I was in school and was basically analogous ages to the kids in the books. It was a book series that meant a lot to me. I worked in a bookshop so I would be able to go to the opening nights when I was still not legally even old enough to really work. It was something that meant a lot to me. But it's something that I now can no longer enjoy. It's something I used to cover. It's part of what my knowledge base is the same as you. That was part of my career, and there's just you know what, there's better stories out there told by people who aren't actively harming communities that I love and care about, and we're going to talk about them, and it's going to be amazing, and I feel incredibly lucky to share this space with you, someone who cares about this stuff and understands exactly why we're folks on something else.
Speaker 1: I just think it's terribly alarming, right, it's alarming. This is not to say that it was not dangerous and potentially toxic, harmful rhetoric previously, but I think like the events of like the last six months even just make it feel much more pressing and uh and something that kind of like actively needs to be pushed back against.
Speaker 2: I think the situation is that the reason that it's always been so dangerous is that having prominent figures with huge followings who are seen as respectable or liberal or whatever else saying these things are why these legislations can be brought in. It's why they have the support, it's why people know these terminologies. It's so it has an active effect that is negative and dangerous and sometimes fatal. And I absolutely agree with you, it's it's it's time to push back on it, and it's time to celebrate other stuff that lifts people up and and open spaces for people and changes people's lives in a positive way rather than a dangerous one.
Speaker 1: In the realm of books. I love that turns out that the author was a shithead. Enders Game. Enders Game is like one of was one of the things I was thinking about. That is a friend's older brother like recommended it to me, and it like crushed me. Like I was sobbing at the end of that book. And then it became quite clear like in not recent years, but I would say in the last like eight years or so, that Orson Scott Card had some really terrible views, particularly on the issues of homosexuality and LGBTQAI issues, and it just, man, I just had to drop that. I just had to drop that series that not not interact with any Orson Scott Card content anymore. And I gotta say you, I love Enders Game. I think it's a great book still because none of that toxic ideas that he has are you know, it's been a number of years since I read it, but it seemed present in the book at the time.
Speaker 2: I will say, just he calls if I'm not mistaken, like the aliens in that are.
Speaker 1: Called the buggers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, buggers. Bugger is like slang for gay sex in England, so he really he built well, it's the same mine. Mine was like, this is so funny because you don't really think of him as like a sci fi author. But one of the first books that I ever really remember that was like deep when this was when I was a little little kid, when I was deep into that felt that you were really going into space is Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, which is the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Rodahl, who it turns out, is like a massive anti semi But like when I was a kid, I remember that book. He goes up in the elevator right with his family and they go on the US they end up on a space station, and that was one of the first interactions I had with sci fi. But again, you learn these things and then you're like, well, let me find someone else. And luckily there are like a ton of amazing creators who are who are doing the opposite, who are using doing the thing that people have always done with sci fi, which is and fantasy, which is to make analogous stories about real wild depression and find like the important way to kind of talk about it.
Speaker 1: My personal philosophy is when things like this occur, and particularly with particular UH focus on on Jk's work in the Harry Potter series, which which is again a story series of series of books that I really love and UH and through which I found a community of like minded people whose company and relationships I still enjoy. My personal philosophy is like, Okay, no more money, I'm not gonna support this. I'm not going to be buying the legacy of Hogwarts game, I'm not gonna be covering the stuff. But when it comes to like what happens? Can I reread the books that one is more, I kind of feel like seizing these works from their author is like a kind of like a revolution For me. It feels like a revolutionary act of like, fuck you, you don't own this anymore, in the sense that like the people whose lives were touched by this and who found other connections through these stories, they should not now have to vacate this space because it turns out are bad. What should happen is they should then seize this space from you and continue in their cultural relationships, the bonds that they have with the communities they've created, and they should just like seize this story from me. So that's like how I feel about it when it comes like, you know, there are chapters still in Harry Potter that I like to read, but I just will never give her money anymore. I just can't.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of like power in that, and a lot also a lot of those conversations, Like there's an amazing non binary cartoonist that we were talking about, Maya Cababe who made Harry Potter fansy and called Harry Potter and the problematic author that was all about that kind of journey, and I think it's really important to have those conversations and to kind of talk about what it means like to separate that from the eyes. I mean, I personally don't get any joy out of rereading them anymore, but I used to. There was there was chapters in Harry Potter that that was the only way I could go to sleep as a kid, was to read the chapter where he's on the night bus and he's got the hot chocolate and the hot water bottle. Yeah, and he's on his way. You know, that was And it's it's sad to lose those things, but that's the power of the singular author. Right, Yeah, that's power of it.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to just what we're reading and any kind of stories, authors, wonderful tales, creators that we want to lift up right now. Do you have any recommendations?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I talk a lot. There's a there's a brilliant book that I read a lot of YA books that which I guess comes from that legacy of these books that we're talking about that we really enjoy. There's a book I read that I sort of haven't forgotten about that I've reread a couple of times called Cemetry Boys by A Thomas's trans author trans lead character, and it is just so wonderful. It's about a boy called Yadril who wants to become a Bruha and tries to summon a spirit to prove it, but ends up freeing a different spirit and then it becomes this kind of really dynamic exploration of love and friendship and legacy. And I just that book is so wonderful and it's very much to me like the kind of power of when somebody gets to tell a story that represents who they are but is also just absolutely unburdened and it's just allowed to be completely free and adventurous and fantastical. I think that's kind of the power ironically that actually a lot of Harry Potter and stuff was missing because Harry Potter is like it takes from a lot of different stories, but those stories were often the same stories being told by the same people. So symmetry boys is I always tell everyone just go and buy that book. It's it's so good.
Speaker 1: One book that I read recently that I just absolutely love is The Space Between Worlds by Makaia Johnson. I think it's her debut novel, and it is a really wonderful here's that word again, multiverse story, high concept in which people from let's just call it like Earth one travel to various closely related dimensions in order to see, Oh, of there are there any technology that they've developed that that can help us deal with the ecological disaster that our current planet is under, or you know, help us you know, grow food more efficiently, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. There anything we can learn from these other worlds in glean and bring back to our world. All through that, there is the idea there is you know, You're left to wonder as you read the early parts of this story, like, okay, but is it happening in reverse? Are there are there people from the other Earth coming to it? And so all of those questions are things that get answered. It's a really amazing story about about class, about race. It is a wonderful sci fi tale, really like heartbreakingly told. Just a really good, really good book, really surprising, and a great multiverse story that unfolds in a way that you're not expecting.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite things that I always talk about when people ask about like what's like a good queer comic or what's like a good story that kind of focused on different kinds of people. Tillie Walden, who is like one of our greatest living cartoonists and who is painfully talented for someone in the early twenties, made this unbelievable hundreds of pages long web comic called on Sunbeam, which you can also buy in a beautiful bound edition, but they never took down the free web comic, which I love, and it is the most sprawling, strange, beautifully illustrated story about these kids on this spaceship and this kind of ongoing journey that's about them and about the journeys they're going on in their relationships, but it's also about the journey of growing up. But it's also just a really cool, weird, quiet space story. But there are elements of magical school fantasy to it. The spaceship kind of grows and shifts and it's so wondrous and when you read it you don't really realize till the end. But there is a very specific focus on a certain kind of character, and there is a very specific decentering of like the usual male heroic protagonist. And it's one of the most sort of subtly radical books that I've read in a long time. And it's also Tilly's art is so beautiful and intricate, Like this is one of those comics where you can really go back and just read it a million times and you always notice something different.
Speaker 1: Next. This is specifically why we're going to have our guest in our next segment.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: But Nicola Griffith's hild Yeah talked about in various places from twenty thirteen. Nicola is a wonderful writer, queer writer, disabled writer who writes really empathically and wonderfully in just like ways that are completely evocative. There are scenes in Hill that I think about all the time. I reread all the time because they're just about you know, like I came to like, I think a lot of people comic books in sci fi and fantasy, because like there's this feeling of like outsider news, like you're looking for you're looking for a place where your own personal strangeness and the way you don't fit, like the piece about you that maybe don't fit. You're looking for the way that world where they do kind of fit.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And this is like page one of hild describing the character hill To, who at this point as a three year old girl, she liked time at the edges of things, the edges of the crowd, the edge of the pool, the edge of the wood were almost pass but none quite belonged. And that's basically the entire book is how this character who is a woman in a world where women are not viewed as having any kind of power, and their work is seen as somehow lesser work. There's a great, really evocative, very small moment where like a certain warrior who is having a dalliance with one of the women characters, offers to help her, you know, bring some of the washing in. But as long as it's night and no one will see that he is helping her with like women's work, you know, in exchange for them hanging out longer. Like there's all these little moments that bring you into the power of the people like who are overlooked, And it's just like a really really really really amazing book, really really amazing books. That's like there's some great plot turns, really hard like pounding like suspense and action, but all these also these really like internal quiet moments about noticing the way people interact, Noticing the way people treat the main character, Notice how they treat each other, Notice how they act when they're anxious. It's a lot about noticing, which is what I love about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so much detail. Nikolas an amazing I love that book so much. And Nikolas another amazing book coming out called Spear, which is kind of this queer authorian me imagining, and it's not out yet, so I won't get too deep into details, but it definitely comes from that same space of the edges, Like we're on the edges, and the journey is to find the other people who are our family, who are also on the edges, to find that community. And I think that's such a powerful thing kind of about all of these books and what we look for. Strek is going to be like one of the most This is one of the books I think about the most that I've read recently, which is called Pet by a quakm Ezi, and it is like, this is like the kind of transgressive fiction that I feel like doesn't often get published, but this did. And it is a kid's book, but it's also an adults book, and it is set in a futuristic world where where monsters don't exist, but then a monster escapes out of an artist's canvas and suddenly this young black trans girl who is the protagonist begins to question whether or not these monsters do exist, and whether or not what the society has done by kind of shunning them. And it's really analogous to all this incredibly deep stuff. And as you read it as an adult, I feel like there's so many terrifying, emotionally wrought layers to it. But it also imagines a world where, in you know, the beginning, a black trans girl is safe, and in that way, it's this incredibly utopian. It's that use of radical imagination that we will talk about a lot like to make a better world, you have to imagine it. And I feel like in a way, Hill does that in a historical way where it rewrites history and broadens the scope of who was involved, which is just true because the people didn't not exist, they were just written out. And Pet does it in a way where it helps us to imagine like a future. And I just that book I think about so much. I feel like it's one of those books where in years to come it will become a kind of you know, I always think about very different book, but Neil Gaiman Stardust, that's a book where you could give it to a kid and you could give it to an adult, and two people would read it in totally different ways. And Pet really feels like a great contemporary version of one of those kind of timeless, ageless stories.
Speaker 1: And then my last wreck, I'm going to go nonfiction. There are a lot of heroin things going on right now in the news, and it can be like difficult to like process everything. Susan Sontag, the essayist, philosopher, writer, novelist, thinker, wrote a really moving and wise and powerful book called Regarding the Pain of Others. It's really like a long essay, and it's about how in modern life. It's kind of a companion to her essay on photography, just like about what it means to like regard images that have been mass produced and moved from different places. And it's a companion in that it posits that in the modern world, like it's never been easier for us to see and engage with images that depict other people suffering, other people's pain, et cetera. And so like, how do we deal with that? How do we sit with that?
Speaker 3: What do we do?
Speaker 1: What does it mean if you can't quote unquote do anything, is it enough to just look at it and think about it and feel something about it? I found it very moving and very wise. And it's a book that I think about a lot all the time still.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to end with We've talked about, you know, the Boy Wizard, the Boy who Lived. It's something we talk about a lot. It's an overarching story of our time. But I have read a book that comes out in May called The Marvelers by Donnielle Clayton, and it feels like it could be and it should be that next kind of cultural phenomenon book. Oh wow, it's a global reimagining of the magical story, like magical school story. It's about a girl called Ella who goes to this Arkanam training academy for Marvelers and she is a conjurer at this school in the sky. But she's the first ever conjurer to attend, and that means that she is the target for people who don't trust her, who are suspicious of it. And it is this kind of it's so magical and it gives you that feeling of walking through the halls, those magical, cozy feelings you want. But it's also a book that deals with racial integration, it deals with generational trauma. But all the while is it feels like this huge moment for fantasy. Kids from all around the world study at these schools. You know, there's different notions of what it is to be magical and to be from a different place that feels just miles away from the stereotypes of old And I think it could be a big moment for people like us who love these books, and hopefully for kids who love these books. I feel like The Marvelers could be that.
Speaker 1: Book out May third really excited for that. Up next to our discussion with the author Nicola Griffith. Welcome to the Hive Mind, where we explore topic and more detail with the help of expert guests. This week we're absolutely thrilled to have Nicola Griffith, the award winning author of So Lucky, Hilled, the Odd, and other books, and of course the upcoming novel Spear, which is available April nineteenth.
Speaker 2: Hella, Nikola, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Hi, it's great to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for joining us and taking the time. We're both really big fans of your stories and we're so stoked to talk to you. Something that we often do when we talk to people on here is like, what was your origin story with fantasy, with sci fi, with kind of stories that made you want to write stories?
Speaker 3: Wow, That's a bit like saying, why are you who you are? Panic? Okay. Basically, my first introduction to story was, like I'm guessing, like most people, my mum telling me stories at bedtime, and she would make up stories and then she would read me kids' books, that is, kids' versions of myths, Greek myths and legends, and so my first introduction to story was obviously all made up. I think most kids they like things that are completely not real. Yeah, but they can't really tell me. Everything is new to a child, right, you're three. You've never seen a bunny before, so you don't know a bunny can't talk, so talking rabbit, it's like, that's perfectly normal. But I never is some part of me. I don't think I ever let go of that. I feel that way also about nature. I felt the same kind of thrill going for a walk under the trees that I do getting lost in a story. It's the same kind of journey for me. It's a getting lost, finding my own way and discovering things about me in this other place, whether it's a story or an actual geographic location. And to me, story writing stories is really the very best way to capture both those things, and I think it's probably why almost everything I write has a lot of nature in it. I hope that makes sense. I hope I'm answering the question because I.
Speaker 2: Love that and that it was like listening to a wonderful story. We're both just, like.
Speaker 1: Nikola, a big fan of your stories, as Rosie said, particularly Ammonite, which is your first novel. I believe about it's sci fi colony, a sci fi story about all women's colony in Space and Hild, which I found randomly in a bookstore under one of the you know, the suggestions from the from the workers at the bookstore, and I just happened to pick it up and I loved it. I think one of the things that I love about your writing is how how you bring the reader into the way characters notice things, in particular the way characters who aren't close to power are in power notice things that the people in power don't. I think in particular, there's a scene in Hild where where hilled Is has noticed that Edwin, the king is nervous about something is having a lot of meetings, but she can't quite unpack what. And then she asks one of his guesses, guesses, one of his warrior companions, so what's going on in the meetings? And the warrior companion is like, I don't know, it's boring old men talking about stuff. So she's like, okay, let me get this guy some food, men off and open up when they when they're when they're not hungry anymore, and then she just talks to him about different things that perhaps he's noticed, and then she's able to kind of through this unwind what it is that is gnawing at the king, and then she's able to in a in a very power powerful way, use that information in a way that's a little manipulative but also is very smart in the way that she's getting the thing that she wants, but also getting the king the thing that he wants. How much do you think about that when you're when you're writing It's it's just something I love about the way you write.
Speaker 3: Most of those scenes. I remember that particular scene very well because I remember thinking, Okay, she needs to get him something to eat, Like, what the fuck did they eat? Then I had to okay, right, hair, they ate hairs, right, let's look pie and hair and but so yes, I do remember that scene really well. And she was very young, as I fool, so I was discovering it kind of with Hilt. I knew she needed a moment where she had to bring everything she had learnt together in this one, like she had to behave like a seer, as though she had magic, but of course she doesn't, because it's not a fantasy booky, even though it reads a bit like that, she had to make other people think that she was magic, and she had this prophetic gift. And so before I wrote that scene, did I know exactly how she was going to do that? No, I really had no clue. I just had a feeling. I just knew what the place felt like and how she felt, and what it might be like to be surrounded by all these yesses with swords and spears and she's got nothing except well, now by this time she has her little sex. Actually not that little bit. So I suppose it's a bit like saying, how where does inspiration come from? I don't really know. It comes from a lot of work and putting clues together. Basically, you're seeing in this book through hilld my process as a writer, which is part serendipity, part smart, part research, and part just trusting that it will be there when you step off the edge that you're building your bridge. As you walk, there's this chasm and you're heading towards it, and you just have to have faith that there'll be something there when you get there.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting and it kind of that kind of talk speaks to one of the things I really wanted to know, how did you kind of discover Hill? Because I'm from England, I've been to Whitby a lot. I was a goth when I was a teenager. I loved Dracula.
Speaker 4: It was really.
Speaker 2: Important place to me. But I'd never heard of I'd never heard of hilld I'd never heard of this story. How did you discover her? And then what made you want to tell the story of hild and bring it to a wider audience.
Speaker 3: I discovered her the day I discovered Whitby. I'd been living in Hull. I don't know if you ever spent any time in Hull, very depressed, quite depressing city in the northeast of England, where at the time when I was living the unemployment rate was twenty five percent. Wow. And it literally smelled because the drains were all falling. I mean, it was just a terrible place to live. And I'd been having a bit of a hard time. So one weekend I escaped and went up the coast and went to Whitby. And I'd heard obviously, I'd read Dracula, I'd heard of Whitby, so I was expecting all the steps. I was expecting the abbey. What I really was not expecting was what happened when I got to the abbey, which is back in the day. It's changed now there's much more control about who can go in, But back in the day you just kind of walked through it and there was this stone threshold and I remember crossing that threshold and it was like history just came fisting up through me, and I was just it just turned me inside out like a sock. Suddenly. It's like, I don't know, if you're familiar with there's a kind of New Age theory that some parts of the earth that the layer between the world and the other world is very thin. I think Whitby is if you buy into that, is one of those thin places. There's a real sense of imminence and otherness there. And so I just walked into it and it was like it was like sticking my head into a perfectly ordinary wardrobe and finding I was in Narnia. It was just I was blown away, and so I had to I had to know what is this place? Who built this place, where does it come from, why here, what's it about? What does it mean? And so I went to the little tourist place attached to the abbey, which is much bigger now amazing, but then it was just like a tatty little place next door, and they had a few little brochures, and I read that the abbey had been founded fourteen hundred years ago by this woman called Hill, And I knew a bit about history at this point, and I thought, well, fourteen hundred years ago, that was the quote Dark Ages. So how come a woman in the Dark Ages, when Mike was right and women supposedly were just chattel and had no power, how could she possibly have created this amazing place and done such things and still be known today, well partially known today. And so I went to try to find a book about her, and there wasn't a book about her. There's no scholarly monograph, there's no TV series, there's no cartoon, there's not even a racy romance novel. There was nothing, ringing silence. The only thing I could find was Venerable Beads, History of the English Church and People, and that has less than five pages about her, and most of that is really typical Saints stories that could apply to anybody, so that it's not real information. And there was there was no information. So now by this time I'm on fire with curiosity. So I researched that book on and off for I would say, fifteen years, because I went to Whitby in the eighties and it was in the back of my mind all that time. And then gradually, sometime in the nineties, I started picking up history books and actually reading and working my way back through notions of history. So I started with old fashioned mid twentieth century history, and by the time I'd finished researching, although toupy Frank, I'm still not finished researching. I'm going to be researching this for the rest of my life. By the time I got to the point where I was ready to write the book, shall I say, the first book, I was talking to the people doing the research before it was published in two thousand and eight, early career researchers. They were discovering blogs and so you could you could just go online and find these people and what they were doing and talk to them in the comments. And they didn't know who I was. They didn't know whether I was amazingly famous or nobody or a lunatic, and so they were very cautious at first, so I would have to elicit information from them. They didn't like risking stuff. They didn't like to say something unless they could give you ten footnotes, and so I remember one time I was trying to find out what the Anglos Saxon's thought about dogs, what was their attitude to dogs, and there was like, we know nothing about dogs. I said, okay, so if Hill had a Pekinese, and they're like, she wouldn't have had a Pekinese, that's just no. And I said, well there, you see, you do know something. So what kind of dog might she have had? So and then we went from there. But oh, it was like blood from a stone at first, getting this information from these people. So anyway, that's how it began, that's how I really needed to do it. And like I say, there was just no information. So I researched everything. I researched flora and fauna and building techniques and textile production and agriculture and the weather. Everything. Everything was different then. And I decided I was just build the seventh century. I was going to build the whole goddamn century, and then I was going to put Hilp in it and see how she behaved, what happened, How on earth she could have done this? And the only way to do that was by making her a child so I could discover along with her. But that that wasn't a deliberate choice. What happened was I got basically got drunk one day and I thought, oh, you know, screw this, It's my birthday tomorrow. I cannot go another year without starting this goddamn book. I thought, right, I'm going to start, and I had no idea what's going to just I'm going to write a paragraph, and so I began and there she was. She was, this three year old girl under a tree, and I thought, holy shit, that that's the key to everything. And then I was off. So, yeah, a mix of hard work, guessing, and alcohol, I suppose how I did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds as if, and guessing from from the content of your other works, that this that the process of creating Hilt was very different than than what you've done previously or even since, with some of your more personal kind of works in different genres. Would you say that is that the case?
Speaker 3: They're all different, and yet they're all the same. I rarely write a book without some part of it having grown in my writer's brain, in my back brain, some little factoid that's stuck to another one and is sort of mutating in there, And then a few years later, this this thing springs out full blown. So in that sense, the process is the same. But almost every single thing I write is trying to answer a question, so so Emmonite. For example, my first book, the question I was trying to ask, trying to answer, was a question I saw being asked all the time in science fiction and not answered satisfactorily, not giving me the answer I wanted, which is, basically, are women human? I mean, because most science fiction books, if you had a world only of women, they behaved like half a thing, they didn't behave like whole human beings. And I thought, you know, no, I don't buy that answer at all, So I'm going to have to figure this out. So I wrote EMM and I basically to answer that question slower ever, came from a different kind of question, a much more personal question actually about who are you when you have nothing left? Is there such a thing as an essential self? And then the three out books those came from a dream. I had this dream that there was this woman, completely naked, sprawled on the carpet of an absolutely empty apartment, but sprawled in a really you know, like a lion on the velt, actually not afraid of anything, sprawled and it was absolutely empty apartment. I mean there weren't even light fixtures, it was that empty. And I was thinking, well, that's odd in my dream. And then the next thing I know, this woman wakes, is woken up by a gun to her head, and instead of going or freaking out even she just sits right up with a big flashlight and breaks the guy's neck boom like that, split second, no hesitation, and I going, whoa, well, who was who's that?
Speaker 2: And how come she.
Speaker 3: Could do that? What would make it possible? What kind of person could do that? And so the three out books were all about answering that question. How she got to be that person in that place at that time. So, yeah, it's always a question. Hill was like, how did this abby be like this? How could he'll do what she did? I think. I think the only book I've ever written that is not about answering a question but more about just getting stuff out because it needed to be out was So Lucky, my book about the woman diagnosed with their mess.
Speaker 1: And it's not.
Speaker 3: Autobiographical in the sense the character is not really very much like me, although I did give her an English accent because I was going to be doing the audio narration and I just couldn't. Actually in that sense, she's likely. But that book has always made me slightly uncomfortable because it's not my usual thing. And also it doesn't do what every other book I've ever done does, which is to basically center what most people would consider the other because in So Lucky, it's the only book about the difference of the character about her being disabled. Or my other books, you've got disabled people, you've got queer people, you've got women, et cetera, and it doesn't matter, it doesn't make any difference to the character them. It's all her blue eyes rather than green eyes. It's a nothing, Whereas So Lucky was very much that the difference was a something.
Speaker 2: It was the thing with Spear, you kind of you definitely continue that former version, which is every kind of character and involved in a kind of this, in this case an epic kind of reimagining of Arthurian law. So what's what's that question that Spear is answering?
Speaker 3: How do I retake Camelot for real people? Because the matter of Britain, the whole Arthurian cycle, it's essentially a national origin story, and so it's got this nativist, supremacist manifest destiny creme baked in and and I thought, you know, I love that legend. I love this notion of Camelot. I don't I don't care about it being a specific time or a specific place for me. Camelot's all about the dream mm hmm. It's about the the fight for justice and equity. And so I needed to find a way to write that but still make it our theory. And so that's how I did Spirit. That's why I wrote Spear, and also because it seemed like a really nifty idea. Honestly, to be honest, I really thought it was going to be a short story. I thought it would take me two weeks. I set the Hill sequel aside. I thought, okay, I'll get this done in two weeks, get back to Meanwood, and this thing just rowed out. I mean it just I can't tell you. After I wrote Spear and then I went back to Memewood, I wrote more in the first year of the pandemic in one year than I have ever written. I wrote two hundred thousand words. Wow, I think they were all good words. I wrote Spear, and I wrote a lot of Meme. I finished Meanwood, which is a very large book, and I just it just I was just really fired up. And the pandemic meant that I didn't have to stop to do things like even go to the doctor because no one was going to that. I didn't have to go out for dinner with anyone. I didn't have to go to conferences. I just got to stay at home and live in this early medieval world and it was wonderful. So, yeah, Spear was a confluence of all the things I love, all the things I love about Hilt, but also then completely free a lot of Hilt's exterior stresses. I mean, Parite is not. She doesn't have to worry about taking care of anybody. Really, She's young and free and makes the most of it. And I loved that. It felt really good.
Speaker 1: You wrote a New York Times up ed in twenty eighteen about your role as a queer writer with disabilities and how that influences your work and how important it is to be a representative for other people in the space who are looking for stories. Has anything changed since.
Speaker 3: That time, Oh, it's been amazing. Yeah, it is changing a lot. I'm really I'm thrilled. Actually, I've seen just I would say in the last five years and absolute explosion of disability literature. It's incredible, particularly in first of all, in the YA space, lots of YA cripplet, and now in the science fiction and fantasy space, there's an awful lot of literature about disabled characters with disabled characters. Should I say so, it's incredible. I'm still seeing a lot of resistance in more mainstream literary presses. What they want if you're disabled and you've got a disabled character, they want the book to be about the character's disability struggles. They don't want to just see them going whoo, you know, and whacking someone's head off with the sword. No, they want they want authenticity and their notion. Because they are ableists and most of us are honestly ablest, they think that the authentic experience is suffering.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I've seen the same thing with literature, especially memoir from immigrants and refugees, that all people want is their trauma story. Give us your drama. They don't want to know about the success and the joy and any of that stuff. So I'm still seeing that resistance, and also I'm seeing I would like to see more changes. Should I put it in criticism, I would rather see more people with disabilities reviewing fiction with disabled characters as opposed to non disabled people. I mean, I get so tired of seeing these books by non disabled people about disabled characters who kill themselves yep, and calling it wonderful and authentic. And I'm thinking, ah, well, I shouldn't say what I'm thinking. It's unprinciple. I would have to be considerably bleaped. But I'm not happy. I mean, I remember having a conversation with a writer who'd been sent one of these books to review, I think for the Washington Post, might be in the New York Times. She's like, I'm having a really hard time with it. So we talked about it, and I said, you need to say it. You need to say why it's wrong, why it's bad. And that was very difficult for her because her stance to reviewing is always lift up the writer. And I said this, you cannot lift her up for this, lift her up for every single thing in the book. Accept this. Yeah, and she did, and I was so pleased. So I was really grateful and glad. But that's what we need. We need more of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, it's actually really shocking. I'm disabled, and that same trope of the honorable sacrifice. There was a YA book when I was a young kid, and I had a lot of community within the disability activism movement, but there was a book that would be given around and it was a YA book written by a man who had a son who had cerebral palsy. And at the end that the son gets set on fire and he dies, and the book is told from his perspective, and the perspective is he is glad that he's dying because it will be like good for his family. And that was a book that they legitimately gave to disabled kids, to people I know who had cerebral palsy like and that is still going on twenty years later, and and it kind of blows my mind.
Speaker 3: Look how long it took for queer lit to change from the lesbian giving it up so her bisexual clirll friend could have a normal life. I mean, really, that went on for eighty years. So in this sense, I think Cripplet is doing relatively well. It has a long way to go, but it's following many of the same paths I think. Has queer lit died. Yeah, So there is hope. There's hope it's coming. I just wish it would hurry up and get here a bit quicker.
Speaker 1: What are you reading now? What if for our listeners maybe thinking, oh, that sounds I've been waiting for a story like this. This is something I'd like to read.
Speaker 3: Well right now, I haven't been reading a lot of stories. Let me see, I've been reading a lot of nonfiction about small, tedious things in early medieval times. I love to hear it because I know, well, for example, I mean, this is actually more about Spear than Hilp. But I just read a really good book, and it's from two thousand and eight, all about our fury and literature and all the tropes that have been used, and how it's so. It's there's a whole set of different articles, so each article takes a different stance, but it's fascinating to see how much really serious scholarship has gone into the whole are a legend? I really wish I'm actually I say, I'm really glad I hadn't read that book before I wrote Spear, Otherwise I might say, well, were you not taking it? But let me see what have I read in the particularly the queer and fantasy space in the last year or two. It's I read Alex Harrow for the first time last year, so I read her novella A Spindle Splintered, and she's got a new one coming out, I think in a couple of months, called The Mirror Mended, and that it's really great. It is another kind of retelling, and so I want to get back to this notion of retelling in a minute. Also Samantha Shannon, who wrote The Priory of the Orange Tree. Yes, I'm drawing a bit of a blank. What I tend to do when I'm in writing mode is I read nonfiction and then I reread old favorites and poetry. I read poets. So I've basically subscribed to Poetry Magazine and just read that every month, you know, I read a couple of those and then go to sleep.
Speaker 1: Speaking of rereading things that you love, I'm often drawn to some scenes in Hill just because that, you know, they're so evocative, and one that I go back to again and again is the moment when Edwin King asks Hill to it gives her a challenge. She has to carry, you know, and she has to pour a cup for the King while carrying this extremely heavy torque armband that he has given her, and she finds a very inventive way to carry this out, surprising everyone. And it's a big moment. And there's other big moments like this, And when I'm reading them, all was thinking, God, for a child to be there and bluff the king to the point that the king is saying, Okay, well, we're going to do this thing that you're telling us to do, but if you're wrong, I'm going to feed you to my dogs. What is it like to write these scenes where you're just putting this child into these into these positions of great, great peril because I'm always so much more nervous than she is.
Speaker 3: Well, that's That's the thing about kids, is that I suppose part of me is trying to hild as say, a seven year old with the heavy and the talk, the armoring, trying to write her the way I would like to have been, you know, as a kid. I mean I was one of those I was always in fights. I like to climb trees, you know, I was. I wanted to live a big life. I wanted to do amazing things, and to me Hill there is that opportunity to do that, and so I didn't have a lot of fear as a seven year old, and so I give hild the kind of fear and caution I had as a seven year ol, which is she kind of knows that she's in great danger, but it doesn't freak her out. You know, she doesn't have a thundering heart, and she doesn't get sweaty. She's not part of her Her body doesn't really believe it. Her mind does because everyone tells her. But really, deep down, she knows she's immortal, like all kids do. We all think.
Speaker 2: So she's she's like that.
Speaker 3: But but then when I write the scene where someone threatens her that way, it gives me a shiver. I go, I can't I can't wait for someone else to read it, you know, I there are there. I love those moments in work going. I have playlists and I tend to type in rhythm and then something like happens and that girl and I always imagine the music swelling. It never does, because it's never that way. But yeah, it feels like that. It feels like this huge, amazing moment. I love writing. It's such a It's the best job I've ever had in my life, and I expect to have it till I dropped dead, which hopefully won't be for a really long time because I'm having too much fun and I have too much, too much to write.
Speaker 1: Speaking of can what if anything? Can you tell us of mean Wood?
Speaker 3: It's long. It is about thirty percent longer than Hill.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it's wow wow wow long.
Speaker 3: And it starts almost immediately. Let me see when how many maybe four months after the end of Hill, and then it goes for four years and talk about endless regime change. Yeah wow. So she lends a lot about war. She has some very difficult times, but also she has these amazing joyous moments, and the book does end with a great sense of excitement and discovery and adventure. So that's pretty much all I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: We can't wait, We can't wait for it. Thank you Nicola for joining us. It's been wonderful to talk to you.
Speaker 3: It's been my pleasure. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much to Nicola Griffith for coming on the show up next nerd Out. In Today's nerd Out, where you tell us what you love and why, Dave aka mister Fire to his students, pitches us on the Illuminatus trilogy.
Speaker 4: Hello Nerds, I'm coming to you today to talk about one of my favorite forms of nerdery, which is books, specifically the Illuminatus trilogy, written by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shay. Wilson and Shay were editors for Playboy. Specifically, they were dealing with letters to the magazine. Apparently some people really were reading it for the articles, and many of the letters that they received were about conspiracy theories. And the two of these guys decided between them that they were going to ask the question not which of these conspiracy theories are true, but rather what if all of them are true? And these books, this trilogy is conceived as a sort of journey through what if every single one of these conspiracies were true? What if not only someone other than who we think killed John F. Kennedy, What if a bunch of people killed John F. Kennedy altogether? What if John Dillinger is still alive? What if Adam Weishaupt killed George Washington and replaced him in order to bring the Bavarian Illuminati into power in the United States and either spread or stop the spread of cannabis being grown by George Washingrington and Thomas Jefferson. What if the MC five were spreading secrets with their song Kick Out the Jams. All of these things, all of these conspiracy theories are treated as completely real in these novels. The three books that make up the Illuminatus trilogy, The Eye in the Pyramid, The Golden Apple, and Leviathan all kind of work together, spinning this wild, drug fueled narrative building towards a gigantic music festival that has the names of hundreds of made up bands, some of which are now real bands. They all together craft a story of talking dolphins and an Atlantis that's real, built with Lovecraftian monsters. Novels from Pension and Vonnegut are referenced. This is the kind of stuff that will blow your mind and probably heard it more than just a little. These books are extremely important to some of our favorite writers and TV writers. Damon Lindelof, You'll see elements of this in Lost in Fringe. You see this from Chris Carter in The X Files. Alan Moore has called Robert Anton Wilson an inspiration. We see this also from people like Grant Morrison, and now with the rise of what may be the Illuminati in our new doctor Strange trailer. We know that this may be the origin of that term coming back into the narrative once again. So check out these books. They're great. You will absolutely love them.
Speaker 1: Thanks Dave for submitting. If you want to be featured, send your nerd out pitch to x Ray at cricket dot com instructions or in the show notes. Big thank you to Dave for his nerd out and of course Nikola Griffith for joining us, and of course for the great Rosie Knight for co hosting this podcast today. It's been a wonderful day of discussions that I hope are meaningful to some people. Rosie, it is plug time. What are we plug in?
Speaker 2: It's me. You can find me.
Speaker 5: I'm back after two seconds. You can find me Rosie marks on Instagram. I recently visited a very incredible community cinema called Vidiots that's being built in in La I've got a little fundraiser running through my Instagram, so feel free to go there and learn a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more. I'll have a big feature coming up about them at Nerdict. It's a really incredible space that's going to be a video store where you can actually rent DVDs and blu rays, as well as a community cinema that will have a space for local people to screen films, to speak to talk to know each other, and it will have a huge, beautiful screen to screen movies. Vidiots is continuing like this unbelievable legacy of female owned female helm video store in Santa Monica that's been there since the eighties, So just generally good stuff. So go check out Vidiots. Support them. They're in the support mode at the moment because they're still building the new location. So yeah, that's that's my big pluck it. It was very cool.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited for videots, and it seems like it's such a really wonderful project to get behind and that already has like a lot of really wonderful people supporting it. That's a cool one. Check out our videos on the Uncultured YouTube channel. Catch the next episode April twenty second, when we'll be revisiting WandaVision and anticipation. This is gonna be really fun. I'm excited to rewatch WandaVision and I'm excited to talk about it because the Multiverse of Madness is coming, folks. Doctor Stranger in the multiverseit of Madness, which I think we both expect to see a lot of the repercussions of the events of WandaVision in that movie. Be sure to send out your nerd out submissions to x raycrookd dot com instructures during the show notes and don't forget we love the five star ratings, folks. We love them, We absolutely love them. We thrive on them. Please send us the five star ratings. If you're thinking about like a four, don't even think about it. Give us a five. We need the five.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and rub In. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandys Rhard are editing in sound design, news by Vascilla's Fatopoulos, Dellan Villanueva and Matta Group provide video production support, and Alex Rella for handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for theme music.
Speaker 2: Bye