Speaker 1: Well, I invited you. Hear, I thought, I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guess to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guess, your presences presence enough. I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey?
Speaker 2: Mean?
Speaker 3: I'm alone in my kitchen. I need to tell you something. I'm recording a little special thing to tell you that we will be having a second live show. The first one in LA went beautifully, so wonderfully, better than I could have possibly imagined. So I thought, why not do a second live show, But let's do this one in New York. We're doing one in New York. New York is home to the Circuit City in Union Square that closed in two thousand and nine. But I believe the city has other things to offer. And I was at that liquidation sale. You were, You know, you could get CDs, DVDs, Blu rays for the markdowns were ridiculous. It was a memorable sale that you know that Circuit City is no longer there. They closed down nationally, so don't try to go to any circuit City. But what we really need to talk about here is the live show. It's at the Bellhouse the Bellhouse on October thirteenth at seven thirty pm. Now this takes place in Brooklyn, New York. So that's exciting, and it's going to be the fall, and it's going to be I mean, is there a better time to be in New York. Absolutely not. This is the prime time to be in New York. So whether you're already living there or you're looking for a little chance to go on a trip, this is the time to do it. And you should probably buy a ticket very soon. Because the LA tickets went quickly, they sold out, and then people were freaking out about not having a ticket. Well that's not my fault. You know, there are only so many seats in a house, and there are fire codes, et cetera. You know, they a lot a certain amount of tickets to audience members. This is how ticket sales work. I'm explaining ticket sales to you. You've got to buy a ticket quickly because New York you're competing not just with your city. You've got you know, people pouring in from New Jersey, You've got Philly people, people from Washington, d c. Are probably already on the train headed towards the venue. Boston. I mean that whole mess of the East Coast. Everyone is going to be vuying for a ticket, so get one quickly, don't lose out. We only have one life to live. But basically you have to go to the Bell houseeny dot com, the Bellhouse NY dot com to get a ticket. Now, let me just refresh everyone. That's October thirteenth, seven thirty pm the Bellhouse. I said, No Gifts Live the second show. It's gonna be spectacular. We're going to have an absolute ball. We always have a ball. This will be no different. Come join me, Come join my wonderful guests, and let's get onto the episode. Welcome to I said no Gifts, I Bridger Wineger. We're in the backyard. I mean, there's just been an earthquake. There's just been an enormous earthquake, the biggest one I've ever been through. I'm safe. I'm alive. If you're hearing this, so that's some news for you. I think we released this episode in like two weeks, so if you really cared, you would have reached out sooner. But you know, you do your thing. I don't care. I survived, I made it through, and thank god I did because I adore today's guest. I absolutely thinks she's wonderful. It's vagabond. Welcome to I said, no gifts. How are you doing?
Speaker 4: I am doing? Wow, I am shaken up.
Speaker 3: I'm so thrown as you can tell.
Speaker 4: I am very, very thrown all around.
Speaker 3: We were talking about this right before we began recording. But what do you do during an earthquake? I was darting around and then I of course looked it up after and the earthquake. People don't say anything about darting around.
Speaker 5: Okay, wow, you're once up ahead of me for looking it up. I just cried it, just started crying immediately.
Speaker 3: But we both survived, so we proved earthquake HQ wrong. Analise mentioned Onalise's dad is an expert, and apparently you're supposed to get on the ground and maybe drag yourself under a table or something, some sort of sturdy piece of furniture. Okay, gotta remember this, but in the moment, oh no, Onalise.
Speaker 4: Sorry, one more thing.
Speaker 6: It's very important hook your arm around the table leg because if it moves. If the table moves, you want.
Speaker 4: To move with it.
Speaker 6: Whole idea is that if something falls down that it protects your head. Oh, so you put your armor on the leg of the table so that if the table moves in the shaking, it's still above you.
Speaker 4: It doesn't like move somewhere else in the room.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if I have to rearrange my furniture, I don't want to survive. Forget it.
Speaker 4: Just let me go.
Speaker 3: Just so, is this the biggest one you've experienced?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's only my second one.
Speaker 3: It's only your second earth question.
Speaker 4: In life, and the biggest one by far.
Speaker 3: What was the first one?
Speaker 5: The first one was July fourth, and I thought it was just a huge firework because I grew up not anywhere near earthquakes, right, I was confused about what was happening. But it was so mild. They just kind of felt like you were on drugs.
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of those small ones happen. You're like, Oh, I might just have imagined, or maybe I have vertigo or something. Yeah. I hadn't experienced one in a few years, but this was the biggest one I think I've ever felt, outside of the first one I ever felt was in first grade and I was in the shower with my brother. Oh wow, And so that's a very vivid memory of me just being naked with my brother in the shower. My mom's screaming.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing is that when that happens, the first thing I want to do is like ask everyone if they felt it. It's like I'm suddenly like going through my phone like who should I text? Like who's here? Who's who felt that? We're just like wait, process which.
Speaker 3: Is well, you just want yeah, what what are we trying to get from that? That's not going to help anything. I guess. It's just like, well, I just want to prove that this was a real thing that's happened.
Speaker 4: It's like to validate your experience.
Speaker 3: What if you heard all knows from everyone?
Speaker 4: Then I would probably commit myself.
Speaker 3: Really start questioning what's happening. Oh yeah, I mean we might get an aftershock during this podcast. That's my hope for us all to go through this together. So we'll grip the under the stable here, right, This feel like a sturdy table, Yeah, I feel like and the only thing above it, well that could this entire structure could collapse, of course, but that feels like it's aluminum or something, so I think it would be okay. And it would be something to talk about for years to come.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 3: I love a good story. Yeah, I love a good tell a good story. Have you been through any other sorts of natural disasters?
Speaker 4: No, okay, I mean does like Hurricane Sandy count Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh then yes, because you live in New York, you've experienced hurricanes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: And a tree actually fell on top of my car. Oh during Hurricane Sandy. And I was driving like a ninety eight Honda, a cord that I saved all my money to.
Speaker 4: It was devastating.
Speaker 3: That's horrible. A cord could last one hundred years exactly.
Speaker 4: Its life was cut short.
Speaker 3: Oh no, did the insurance cover anything?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, if if I bought it up at a police auction, okay, which is how you get cheap.
Speaker 3: Cars, it is a great time.
Speaker 5: But I didn't have money to fix it. And if I don't have money to if I'm buying a car to police auction, I probably don't have the best car insurance, you know, like I have the lowest lowest amount of car joins.
Speaker 4: You can have.
Speaker 3: So did you just have it towed away?
Speaker 5: It just kind of sat there. It just sat there for long enough for me to save up the money to fix.
Speaker 3: The lost fantastic. Are you still driving?
Speaker 4: I am still driving. I drive a minivan.
Speaker 3: To have a car in New York, I know what a luxury.
Speaker 5: I've actually never not had a car in New York, which I just came back from a month in New York. And that experience of just the train as a New Yorker, I hate the train.
Speaker 4: You don't like to take it. I would rather not go out.
Speaker 3: I I mean, I'm right there with you. It's a very bad feel that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 3: Especially during extreme weather. Yes, just being packed in with I mean, I'm not saying anything. They were here, but it's not for me, and I like to I mean the number one thing for me is I like to be able to listen to music at a loud volume. Oh and so a car that is the idea of space for that. That's my little private listening booth.
Speaker 5: What's your favorite thing to listen to right now? What are you rinsing?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a great question. Do you know what a song that I'm just listening to. It's an Australian band called pop Filter. Okay, and there's a song called Fragile that's got this kind of like and the song the title Fragile is a very tough title to say aloud. That sounds like a terrible song is going to happen. It's not. It's like kind of this rolling bass and drums. It's amazing. It's really really cool.
Speaker 4: Okay Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been listening to that a lot recently. What about you?
Speaker 4: Pop filter is a great it's a great band name.
Speaker 3: It's a great band name, but also very difficult to google. If you're trying to find.
Speaker 4: Music, you just find pop filters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, just equipment.
Speaker 4: What have I been listening to?
Speaker 5: I've been listening to this shoegaze band from Detroit. They just I think it's from the nineties, like they just got a reissue. I don't think they're very popular in their time or got very popular. But their name is Majesty Crush.
Speaker 3: Majesty Crush. I haven't heard of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah you. This is amazing.
Speaker 5: And they have a song called brand okay that I've been rinsing and it's all about I think him being like addicted to beer or something.
Speaker 4: But it has so much emotion right right, It's really good.
Speaker 3: And this is kind of in the my bloody Valentine veins less washy. Okay, that makes sense right, it's more meary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's one of the like the edgy, like harder sounds.
Speaker 3: This sounds good to me. I like a nice just my boyfriend frequently says what I like to listen to sounds like he's in an MRI. He's getting a catskin.
Speaker 5: Why do I understand exactly what them?
Speaker 3: My music taste kind of fluctuates between that and like music, you can roller skate too.
Speaker 5: I love music, you can roller skate too. I like making music you can rollers.
Speaker 3: But see and you kind of your music kind of fluctuates between all of That's why you're on this podcast. You do kind of everything. I need someone to do music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's confusing for some I am having a good time.
Speaker 3: People want someone to do the exact same thing for their entire career and die.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm going to struggle with that. People are very rare.
Speaker 3: They have a hard time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I have a lot of interests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should be able to express their different interests.
Speaker 4: Exactly or else what's the fun?
Speaker 3: And I think what's confusing is you express all of them. Well, so people are like, they're confused. Yeah, they don't hear like, well pick one because you can do all of them. It's not like, oh, she can only do one thing.
Speaker 4: Well, well, thank you for saying. I hope that's true.
Speaker 3: What if I was just making some complete psycho now I would be really impressed with myself, with my lying. Yeah, I would be scared of myself at this.
Speaker 4: Point because I believed you.
Speaker 3: You were just playing at the Skirball Center, right, How was that?
Speaker 4: That was amazing.
Speaker 5: We haven't played much this year because last year was a huge tour, so it's nice to I love playing a museum. I love so tasteful, very classy. They put you in a conference room, it's air conditioned, you get dinner. You know, musicians were treated horribly, of course, so so a museum they really know how to.
Speaker 3: Treat it's because they don't know they can treat.
Speaker 4: You like exactly exactly. It's really really good. We want to uphold that.
Speaker 5: I was telling I was telling my manager, I would like to just do a museum circuit.
Speaker 3: That's a great idea, and it feels like enough of a gimmick that you could get it off the ground.
Speaker 5: I've played enough that they are singularly like they treat musicians like human beings. So so Scarball was really it was really it was really fun, like under the night sky.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sure it was beautiful. Oh, I would have loved to go. I had tonsilidis at the time. What last week? I had tonsilidis.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 3: Which all started with twenty four hours of thinking of'm my f cancer?
Speaker 5: Oh wow? Is that usually your first thought?
Speaker 3: Well, what happened? Yeah, it was kind of. I woke up in the middle of the night last I guess ten days ago or eleven days ago now, and there was like it was like, my throat feels a little swollen. That's weird. And it was the middle of the night, so it's of course like the worst possible thought.
Speaker 4: Yeap.
Speaker 3: And it was a Sunday, so I was like, well, I can go to the urgent care. I go to the urgent care and the doctor like feels my neck and it was just on one side, and she was like, okay, this is interesting. Maybe we could do some imaging. And then she's like, do you have any family history of lymphoma or cancer? And immediately like there's tears in my eyes. I'm not sure. I'm not sure. She's like, well, we should do some blood work. So the next thing, we're doing blood work and she's sending me home. Keep in mind she never looked in my throat.
Speaker 4: Oh no, he just went straight to.
Speaker 3: It, and yeah, the absolute worst thing. So for twenty four hours, I'm like waiting these results. But of course, by the time the twenty four hours are up, I have a fever and my throat is completely swollen. So I'm like, okay, well maybe, yeah, but you think someone would want to check the throat before hopping to blood work.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say what urgent care it was, but I will say, if you want to get a delicious but expensive breakfast and lost feelus. It's really you'll be able to get one very quickly.
Speaker 4: After this, oh exactly.
Speaker 3: But I think I'm ready to soothe the entire concept of urgent care.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it's actually worth anybody's time.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I mean, God bless everyone who works at urgent care, but I've had some rough experiences.
Speaker 5: I mean, you go there in a panic, stay full panic, and they don't often help with the anxiety aspect of it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, just ramping it up. Yeah, might give you some antibiotics. This time they gave me nothing.
Speaker 5: Oh well, when I had COVID for the first time, I went to urgent care because I thought I was dying. Of course I don't have a history of getting very sick. And I couldn't speak, and my voice is all I have.
Speaker 3: Of course that's not so terrifying. He's like, now my career is.
Speaker 5: Exactly like, well, great, who am I if I can't speak?
Speaker 4: Exactly have no other skills.
Speaker 5: And I couldn't speak, so I couldn't communicate, and they told me I had a throat infection due to the COVID. And it was the scariest anxiety I've I've ever had, because it's like it's kind of like, you know, you know that film where the drummer loses his hearing sound of metal? Yes, yes, that is like my biggest fear. So the thought that I couldn't sing was just I was in shambles for days.
Speaker 3: But of course, though had the worst happened, you would have become some sort of inspiration in another.
Speaker 5: Way, exactly Hopefully I should call you every time I'm in crisis. I need this restructure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to become like a crisis manager, just like but I forced the person to become sort of a new inspiration. We don't change their image.
Speaker 4: They inspire if we don't specify what exactly.
Speaker 3: But you're going to overcome and you're going to inspire. What was the last time you were sick? Have you been sick this year?
Speaker 4: I have not?
Speaker 5: Okay, well, actually that's not does food poisoning count, of course? Okay, then yes I've been sick.
Speaker 3: Who food poisoned you?
Speaker 4: Well, the city of Lisbon?
Speaker 3: Oh, Lisbon?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lisbon in general? Was it fish? Oysters?
Speaker 3: Oh? I mean oysters. You can't go anywhere with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think i'll ever I ever will again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a tough one to get over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's uh.
Speaker 3: And oysters, I just I don't think that they're worth the price of admission. Yeah, I think that they're Every time I have one, I was like that was fine. It's never a magical experience. Or I'm like I'm glad I risked horrible food poisoning for Yeah, that is true. Wow, how long were you sick for?
Speaker 5: I was sick for forty eight hours. Okay, like violently for forty eight hours. And I thought I would be okay because I see the water, like I think, like, you know, I would never have an oyster in New York, you know, So I thought I was being pretty savvy about it.
Speaker 3: I was wrong to be sick with an ocean view.
Speaker 4: It's cruel.
Speaker 3: Were you on tour or on vacation.
Speaker 4: I was doing an artist residency.
Speaker 5: Oh I know, I know it was, and it's a place I really love. I considered moving there, but every time I'm somewhere, I'm like, I could just leave it all behind.
Speaker 3: So it does kind of feel that way. If I'm like in a nice place and I've had one cup of coffee, I'm like, I'm ready to start my life here.
Speaker 4: I don't need anything but the items in the suitcase.
Speaker 3: Exactly what this residency where you stay in like a convent or what was the situation?
Speaker 5: Well, I fortunately got to choose my own housing. So I found this beautiful place in the historic neighborhood where no cars were allowed. I mean I had to fly, I had to like take so many stairs every day to come in and out. But it was gorgeous and beautiful, and the place where I was working on a piano album that hasn't come out. This is an exclusive, an exclusive, and the space where I was working was just a five minute walk, so it kind of felt like campus.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds really nice.
Speaker 5: Just walking home for lunch and then walking back to the right to the studio.
Speaker 3: Now, did you have to go up and down the stairs when you had food poisoning?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh, because of course I don't speak Portuguese. You don't realize how truly alone you are until you are sick in a country that you don't live in. That all was I was rethinking everything. I don't know how to get around. Is there a target?
Speaker 3: Right? Of course, not.
Speaker 5: Not to sound overly American, I'm only like a little bit American, but I just didn't know where to get anything.
Speaker 3: Was there like did you have to go to a pharmacy? What was the deal?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: I reached out to the people, the people that was hosting my residency and it's like, I'm really sick, and they they were like, here's.
Speaker 4: A hospital, how do I get there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was I think that makes it worse, being sick and not knowing what to do about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, ye, and you're like, when you're sick, you're so emotional, you're just hanging by a thread, thinking it's never going to end, and then to have stairs to deal with.
Speaker 5: I mean, I cried at the earthquake, so you could imagine like what was going on for me emotionally.
Speaker 3: How did you find the Portuguese healthcare?
Speaker 5: I think in general it's pretty accessible coming from here, certainly even for foreigner. It's also really cheap, not so consumerist but up selling everything. It's just kind of bare bones. But if you know what's wrong with you, they'll get it done.
Speaker 4: They'll get it done, and you'll be out of there with a you know, lovely Euros absolutely love you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My one experience with out of country health care was in Venezuela, okay, and I've probably talked about this on this podcast, but it was from a sunburn and an allergic reaction and I thought, truly felt my skin was going to leave my body and I ended up in an emergency room and they just hydrated me. The nurse was wearing a leather jacket, I will say that, so that was an interesting vibe. But they took care of me and I didn't have to pay a dime.
Speaker 4: Oh that's incredible.
Speaker 3: Yes, this was I believe this was under Hugo Chaves w Rain. But you know they took care of me.
Speaker 4: Did you speak Spanish?
Speaker 3: No, I friended, Thank god. Otherwise I would have died.
Speaker 4: In the street.
Speaker 3: That would have been would watched my skin crawl away and my skeleton and whatever's left just sink into the great of the street. But yeah, I've had a perfectly fine time. Portugal, though, feels like a lovely place. It feels like they're trying to lure all of us there.
Speaker 4: I am with that, with that agenda.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've heard that it's like kind of easy for American expats.
Speaker 4: To go there. Yeah, it's I would move there.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: What's happening there? You know?
Speaker 4: Every time I've gone, which is a lot, like five times.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, your hooks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm addicted to it and Porto Lisbon, all of it. Every experience has been different. But it feels like reinvent It feels like you can reinvent yourself there. Oh but actually in a way that's sustainable and masting right, you know, not in that fleeting way that being on vacation will get.
Speaker 3: You that sounds like enough for me. Yeah, and then I'll just avoid the oysters. You should visit they probably have other good seafood. Definitely, I'm with it. I can get into that. You are, well, I think we should get into something else that I need to talk to you about. Unfortunately, I'm not thrilled. I'm obviously I was excited to have you here on the podcast today. I thought, I'm already a fan of Vagabont's music. What could possibly go wrong? We'll have a nice chat and then we'll move on with our lives. And then, of course we had this kind of important doom earlier with the earthquake. That should have been the first sign that something was going to go wrong. But then the big thing happened, which was you showed up holding what couldn't be more clearly a gift.
Speaker 4: That is correct?
Speaker 3: This is this a gift for me?
Speaker 4: It definitely is.
Speaker 3: Okay, the podcast is called I said no gifts.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. I was raised with manners.
Speaker 3: Oh what are you trying to say about me?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Nothing, okay, Well we'll just put that aside for now. Should I open it here on the podcast?
Speaker 4: Yes? Please?
Speaker 3: Now, this is interesting because I'm looking at this bag, which I will say matches my shirt perfectly. But it's this Portugal on it. Yes, it is Ceramica's now Lena. As you can tell, I speak Portuguese perfect accent, and then Portugal and then des Day twenty eleven, which I established I speak Portuguese. I'll get this ribbon here. Now did we get into Portugal just naturally?
Speaker 4: Sick sickness?
Speaker 3: Interesting for this to be the bag.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: This podcast brings everything together. This is the center of the universe. Okay, there are two things in here? Should I?
Speaker 4: Yes? There are many things, a lot of first yes, okay.
Speaker 3: There's an inner brown bag. Setting this aside. I feel like we haven't gotten a lot of creak. It's been missing from a podcast.
Speaker 5: A lot of this packaging is crink blue.
Speaker 3: Oh, and now we've got more tissue the listener. Finally, this is a noise renaissance for the podcast. Oh okay, I forgot I'm wow. Okay, So the first thing I'm looking at, Okay, there's a soap, smelling pine cone, soap something like.
Speaker 4: I can't read it. It's in Portuguese.
Speaker 3: It seems I have a pine cone on it. That's the assumption and then there's a some sort of voucher. Yes, what's happening here?
Speaker 5: A book of vouchers, A book of vouchers. Yes, that is potentially half used.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd like a half used anything.
Speaker 5: It's I found it in this in this Portuguese store called Vita Portuguesa, and I found it in the kids section, and I thought it was really cute because it's it's love vouchers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all sorts of helicopter is so nearby earthquake check. Get out of here, everyone who can mind your own business, perverts. Okay, So it's a bunch of vouchers. For example, a voucher for a week without housekeeping, Yes, a voucher for at breakfast in bed. Oh, you've give you've used what you've used too here? God knows what. Oh, let's say. Oh, a voucher for turning our home into a spa. And an erotic surprise. So I assume those are what's in the rest of the bag. A voucher for an apology, a voucher for an unforgettable dinner about No, wait, I'm back here. Get us was in the kids section. It was the erotic surprise.
Speaker 5: It was in the kids section. I don't know, maybe it was misplaced, but I like to tell the story. That's where I found it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, this is sort a voucher for either a sunset or a starry night that feels like God's work. A voucher for an outdoor activity. Now that's more child friendly lazy weekend. Okay, and oh there's one more at the end here for whatever love demands.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, Okay, now we're talking.
Speaker 5: I think it's I mean, hey, that can be used in friendship.
Speaker 3: Friendship could be used in partnership, Erotic friendship, could be used.
Speaker 4: In parental an apology.
Speaker 3: How many of us are parental apology?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 3: These are all life moments exactly. I love this. Then I don't have to actually write one down, and I couldn't. I feel like I should give you and Analie one right now. That's appropriate. So I'm not sexually harassing people on the podcast. I'm a quickly pick.
Speaker 5: I'm so intrigued. Okay, we have a surprise analyse.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. There's one I'm really hoping for. Really, yeah, I won't reveal what that is till after.
Speaker 3: Okay, Tis, I'm giving you a voucher for an apology. You can use that on this podcast or later and onalise. There are only a few that were free and didn't require any work. This is a voucher for either a sunset or a starry night. So you let me know when you want one of those.
Speaker 4: I'll take that.
Speaker 3: I'll take it, and I'll get to work.
Speaker 4: It's not the apology that I wanted.
Speaker 3: You wanted the apology. You will never get an apology from Oh dare you? There's only one person present that will get an apology.
Speaker 4: I will apologize.
Speaker 3: You're going to apologize to me.
Speaker 4: By the end of this podcast.
Speaker 3: No, you're going to get an apology for me, and you can ask for any apology you want. I will give you the most heartfelt apology you can imagine. Okay, So, just when you're ready to spring it on me, say I need an apology, perfect for Blank Perfect. Now I've got Should we keep talking about these vouchers? Have you did you ever make these when you were a kid?
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 3: I feel like we would make them for our parents, really, or it would be like a voucher for the car getting washed or the lawn getting moted. Things basically they would already want us to do anyway.
Speaker 5: That's interesting. I only moved to America when I was twelve.
Speaker 4: Oh so yeah, I feel like we make a lot of the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like it past twelve, you're not making parents exactly.
Speaker 4: I would have really liked it. I think it's really are you are you going to use it?
Speaker 3: Of course already I put it into work, that's true, and I might mail these without a return address. People will be so scared.
Speaker 4: I'm glad. I think it's a really great it's a good thing.
Speaker 3: This is a great thing. I like. I feel like as a kid, when you make them, nobody ever cashes in on them. They're like, well, it's a kid, I'm not going to make them do it. But as an adult, if I give this to someone, they're going to demand that I do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's romantic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's lovely. I'm going to make use of these, and the people that get them are going to I hope they're grateful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you ever make your parents any sort of gifts as a kid?
Speaker 4: No? Wow, not at all.
Speaker 3: Rude kid, rude, never painted.
Speaker 5: A picture, never painted a picture. My parents didn't really. I don't think they really had much affinity for the arts. Oh okay, I would make them breakfast.
Speaker 3: Oh that's nice. Okay, what are you making for breakfast? These days are back then, back then, and these days back then?
Speaker 4: I would make an omelet.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's happening in this omelet?
Speaker 4: Everything? Like everything?
Speaker 5: Bell peppers Okay, great, I think they're disgusting, but put them in there.
Speaker 4: Bell peppers, onions, onions. That works, that's it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, you lost to our definitions of everything are.
Speaker 5: Yes, and you know we would we would always have like a fresh bagette every morning.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I mean the omeline can be absolute garbage if the bagets.
Speaker 4: Girl, Yes, it's all about the fresh bag.
Speaker 3: At right, right? Oh, to have fresh bag attes.
Speaker 4: And I mean what wheat? That was what my parents would have. What we would have. My favorite breakfast was warm milk and corn flakes.
Speaker 3: Oh the milk in the corn flakes. Oh yeah, so it kind of turns to a mush.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like porridge exactly, but it's like it's warm. Also, corn flakes taste significantly better everywhere outside.
Speaker 4: Of the U.
Speaker 3: Yes, I wonder why that is taste different. What are they putting them on them? Hair?
Speaker 4: No clue, no clue.
Speaker 5: But to this day, when I get to France or wherever, it's like my nostalgic breakfast, I'll go.
Speaker 4: Get corn flakes. Corn flakes.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it's a more pure corn.
Speaker 4: I think so. I think so, And it doesn't get like, it doesn't disintegrate as easy. I can talk about this for a week.
Speaker 3: They truly in America, absolutely van I mean, they just do not make any sense within a liquid. They make the liquid worse, and the liquid makes them worse. I lose, lose for everybody. The idea of adding warm milk and turning into more of a porridge makes sense, delicious, like oh it should be saut. Yes, cornflakes are not eating them otherwise exactly. And you don't like a bell pepper, no even.
Speaker 4: Raw, especially raw?
Speaker 3: What color are we talking about?
Speaker 4: Green? Yellow?
Speaker 3: For people?
Speaker 4: Which one's there?
Speaker 3: I would say red and yellow, or they're a little sweeter.
Speaker 4: I had a friend who ate them like apples.
Speaker 3: I would, well, I have to have a slice stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, at least that's a little bit to.
Speaker 3: Just bite into something that's not an apple. What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just don't know.
Speaker 3: No, people do that with onions. Yeah, I feel like they're just trying to prove something.
Speaker 5: I have pretty weird taste buds as well, so I guess I can't jud prove. But well, I'm a little as fraid to say. Well, I ate paper for a while when I was a kid. Oh wow, how much paper like a good A good amount?
Speaker 3: Like daily? You're reading paper, well.
Speaker 4: A couple times a week?
Speaker 3: And was it like a secret snack?
Speaker 4: I should have been more discreete.
Speaker 5: I should have been more discreete, But I, in fact did it in front of whoever.
Speaker 4: I thought that the I liked the tape, The like the bland, right, you just like the chewing, Yes, I like the chewing.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what twizzlers are for me.
Speaker 4: You used to love twizzlers.
Speaker 3: I love that chew. Yes, slavor, I could take relief that texture, right, they should just have that as a plain thing that I can just now.
Speaker 4: Exactly, rice cakes, Oh, rice cakes, it kind of does the same thing. Tastes like nothing.
Speaker 3: Kind of these bland chewy it's more of a toy than a food, yes, exactly. But paper was doing that? And were your parents like you need to stop it.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes they were concerned. I was very very young, but they were like that that's going to hurt you.
Speaker 3: Was it a habit that had to be broken or was it just like okay, now it's over.
Speaker 4: It was now it's over.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 4: Maybe I wanted attention. I don't know. I know exactly was going on.
Speaker 3: It wasn't my strange addictions choice, no couestionately, now the soap here? Are you a bar soap person?
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 3: You're a shower gel person.
Speaker 5: Yes, I am a shower cherison. It's it's hard to try. I travel a lot. How do you transport a bar of soap bar?
Speaker 3: I never even thought about that.
Speaker 5: And it feels wasteful. There'd just be a bunch of bars of soak. You never really get it all down to the little which is why I gave you that.
Speaker 3: I won't want to kind of push the blame off on me.
Speaker 4: It's yours on.
Speaker 3: This is more of a hand soap so I guess I could put it next to the sink exactly, or just keep it in its paper for years to come.
Speaker 4: It's pretty beautiful, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm more of a shower gel person. Myself. Yeah, just a dab. But that's all you need. You can transport it. Actually, it's oh, that's also kind of hard to transport though, unless you have a three ounce bottle.
Speaker 4: Well, are you a strictly carry on person?
Speaker 3: I am. Oh, I've gone real psycho with carry on.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, I need tips. I cannot.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm at the point where my check bag is like seventy pounds. It's like, I mean, I cannot travel light A wow.
Speaker 3: I can't stand next to a luggage carousel ever. Again. Really, it's oh, at the end of a flight, to be standing there, I just want to die.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I will pack almost nothing. I will have one outfit for a four week vacation. If that's what it takes.
Speaker 4: I'm impressed.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's very impressive.
Speaker 5: I am so overloaded at the airport, Like people are concerned.
Speaker 4: Options like I take.
Speaker 5: I think because I tour so much and have toured so much for the last seven years. I take a candle, a candle like one that will, you know, take me through the entire tour.
Speaker 3: That's kind of a nice little tradition.
Speaker 5: Right, because hotel rooms everything smells weird. So if I take a candle I burn.
Speaker 4: In my house.
Speaker 5: It kind of gets me smart, a nice experience of maybe I'm home or this smells like home.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that.
Speaker 4: I do these things add up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I take my own pillowcases, my own sheets.
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, so you are You're just moving yeah.
Speaker 5: Constantly, which is probably why I feel like I could just leave everything behind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're paying a lot of check bag.
Speaker 4: Well I have I have status on Delton.
Speaker 3: Oh right, because you are touring out, so you're getting the points.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're enabling me.
Speaker 3: Okay, they you know, just keep upping it up. Eventually they're going to pull the rug from underneath you and you're going to say, how do I what do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean to be fair.
Speaker 5: I also carry a lot of equipment around, right, which is very heavy.
Speaker 4: So it's not all personals.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, going back to this piano album, we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. But when the time comes that that gets released, what how does that work? Touring? Do venues just have a piano for you or do you take a big keyboard?
Speaker 5: Well, I I would like it to be strictly piano. Some venues have them, but you can also request them to be right for the night and tuned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you want a real analog piano.
Speaker 4: Yes, real, that's a great piano.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, how are you on a piano?
Speaker 4: Decent?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all you need.
Speaker 5: I mean, I am self taught in all of the instruments, but I am a student, so I think I'm okay, okay, but I have a point of view with my.
Speaker 3: Pay kind of all it takes forms some chords exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't need to really know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Does doing it all on piano feel like a giant departure for you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it scary?
Speaker 4: It is scary.
Speaker 5: I wanted to do it on an instrument, I know the least, which is maybe insane, but as a way to get me to be more proficient instrument and I've always liked working with like orchestral instruments. The album before this most recent one, I would use a lot of streams, and I kind of wanted to go back to a more analogue.
Speaker 4: Orchestral. Yeah. For the art Museum's circuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, this is all lining up. Let me run an idea by you. I may have run this by somebody else. On this podcast before. But I think musicians when there's a stylistic shift for the new album. Yeah, this is my pitch to musicians everywhere. They pick a song from the last album, cover it in the new style on the album.
Speaker 4: I love that idea.
Speaker 3: It feels like an interesting introduction to the as the listeners like, oh, I love the song the last album. Oh, it's so interesting here.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: Why am I not producing music?
Speaker 4: You really should be a producer.
Speaker 3: I've got to be behind boards. You gonna get me behind the board.
Speaker 4: Someone get in a room with knobs on a board.
Speaker 3: Just tanking careers right and the left. They call them the grim Reaper huff the music industry.
Speaker 4: I think that's a I think that's a brilliant idea.
Speaker 5: I love I love recording music, but I love performance and I like to reimagine music for the stage.
Speaker 3: I love to hear this so it's.
Speaker 5: So fun like and it offers something if you come to see the show. Yes, a new That's why I like to see shows.
Speaker 3: You are absolutely speaking my language. I'm always so frustrated when people are like they sound just like the recording, Like, well then I should have stayed home. Yes, Yeah, show me something else that's gone. I mean, I'm glad to see you standing on a stage playing the instruments, but it's fun to even rough it up a bit exactly.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So anytime anyone has heard me saying just a little bit off the pitch, I'm doing it on purpose, just switching things out.
Speaker 3: That's why you go see something live to see a slightly less perpose. True, it's true because the album version they've done a hundred times to make sure it was interestine. Yeah, which is fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean in my current show, I have live saxophone on eighty percent of the show and my album has maybe twenty percent.
Speaker 4: That's so great saxophone. But it's like, it's it's fun. It's course just for exciting. Yeah, it exists in that moment.
Speaker 3: Right, It's something you don't get to take home with.
Speaker 4: You just for the evening exactly.
Speaker 3: Which for me can then later be frustrating where I'm like, I should have recorded that on my phone. I'm desperate to hear that again.
Speaker 4: And then you go to the next show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're hooked, and that's how you get that.
Speaker 4: I guess that's how you sell out the ship.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had a huge mistake on stage?
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely, Can we talk about it? Definitely?
Speaker 5: I mean I think the more electronics are involved in a live show, the more room for.
Speaker 3: Error, that seems. So that's surprising to me.
Speaker 4: Right because it should be some level of a shirt and it.
Speaker 3: So cold and ready to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, one time, I've just with this most recent show, I've just started using a click in my ear. In my ear because there are songs that flux, you know, and on stage you're just you're plugged into an adrenaline machine and you can't always trust your personal sense of timing, and when other people rely on it, like your band, you kind of need to have some exact So one time I was in Europe and the click, the metronome for a song that is steady at you know, one hundred and three or something, kept getting faster as I.
Speaker 4: Was playing the song.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, and oh this is a panic.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't adjust my personal timing. I couldn't adjust. It was just the computer failed me. It completely failed me, and it was bad. But you know, everyone, you know, everyone does that thing. Where I stopped, looked confused. Everyone does that thing where they're like.
Speaker 4: Whoa one person is like clap performance. Yeah, that was really embarrassing that.
Speaker 3: Have you ever played Tetris? No, when you lose Tetris towards the end of it, it gets into this moment where the music starts speeding up and you go into a real panic. That's as close as I can get to that feeling.
Speaker 4: It's awful, it's awful.
Speaker 3: Wow. You can't trust a machine anywhere? No, you simply can't.
Speaker 4: Can trust them.
Speaker 3: Wow. Wow wow. Okay, well, we still have other things to open here. Yes, I'm just dilly dallying. That's okay, we're pulling out then, is this okay to open the next one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, pulling this out more noise? Oh oh oh, so it's first, it's your seat. It's fascinatingly your CD, yes, which I mean is now it's such an interesting thing to own of your last album. Everybody should listen to it. Sorry, I haven't called this phenomenal listener if you haven't heard it yet with the program Pull Yourself Together. And then there's the vinyl for Red, White and Royal Blue, which you have a song on.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, now I brought you the CD because you bought, I brought.
Speaker 3: Oh brought. I was gonna say, if you paid money for your own CD, something's wrong had an effect on you.
Speaker 4: I went to the Star, I went to I think CDs are are back.
Speaker 3: They probably. I think it's the we're in this where CDs should be coming.
Speaker 5: Backs are back, And I think that you should start your collection if you don't already have.
Speaker 3: I have a large one still at my parents' house.
Speaker 4: Oh that's wonderful.
Speaker 3: One of those people catalog.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's why we worth so much money.
Speaker 3: Physical media. Yes, I mean we won't name names as far as streaming services go, but someday, the big earthquakes in the common, we're all going to want some sort of physical meeting. What what about CDs coming back? Like, what makes you think they're coming back?
Speaker 5: Well, I've been lucky enough to operate in a physical media space of my music.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: The people who listen to my music will buy records, they buy vinyl, they buy CDs.
Speaker 4: People in Europe buy a lot of CDs.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, I didn't know that, buy.
Speaker 5: A lot more than in the US. Touring in Europe, It's like, I'm just like we need to double up, triple up.
Speaker 4: On the CDs they love interesting, But.
Speaker 5: I think because vinyl is now Beyonce has Final right and Adele has Finyl, you know, not to sound like a but you know, when we were playing our basement shows, we had we made because.
Speaker 3: Of course I remember the cassette revive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and like you know, I'm not like sixty seven, but like we were making cassettes because we needed something to sell, right, the merch table of these small shows. So I think that there are a lot of people who really like to own. Oh it feels physical medium. But CDs are now just really affordable.
Speaker 3: How much does a CD run this these days?
Speaker 4: Ten twelve?
Speaker 3: See, that's a nice regular price for music.
Speaker 5: Yes, and you can you can still play them in your car. People are carrying CD players around now more, and they like the krackle well.
Speaker 3: And this is the other thing I love about anything that's not streaming. And when I'm streaming, I just do this manually, is turn it on so it loops. Yes, so I can listen to an album over and over and over that which makes me, I'm sure sound like I'm a billion years old. But I love to appreciate just an album and get to know what and remember the lyrics exactly it's like, and then it like you can really tie it to moments in time, and then it becomes part of your general life exactly so. And with the CD, if you're out with the CD, well what do we even call that a disc?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with that and you're one CD, that's all you're going to be listening.
Speaker 5: That's all you're listening to, and you really get to I really care about the sequence of my albums.
Speaker 4: Spend a lot of time on them.
Speaker 3: The shuffle button should be sent into oblivion. Yes, anytime someone has the shuffle button on on an album, I just I don't trust their taste.
Speaker 4: No, on an album, this is what you do. That's like reading a book from.
Speaker 3: Different trying to put it together.
Speaker 4: It makes its wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I get very snobby when it comes to this sort of thing, but it's because I'm right. Yeah, everyone, most people are wrong. Most people need to pull it together and actually figure out how to listen to music.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like you can have your favorites.
Speaker 5: Of course you click in and out of, but at least give it a full listen a few times.
Speaker 3: The favorites are kind of the entry points sometimes and then then they're kind of the tent poles, and then yes, they allow you to let the other ones become.
Speaker 5: Favorites exactly, because also when you're choosing singles or highlight tracks, you're also reserving some really good ones for like album songs like this is to be discovered.
Speaker 4: You can't just give it all.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no no. That's a deep cut. Yeah, that's a deeply Do you have a favorite album in life? I know that's a big question.
Speaker 5: Oh, a favorite album maybe the Miseducation of Lauren Hill.
Speaker 4: If I had to choose one. It's so good that I can listen to that forever.
Speaker 3: They just canceled their whole tour.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: It's it's a shame, I know what, an absolutely shame. Yeah, that's a very very good choice. Yeah, favorite song on that album of all time.
Speaker 4: Favorite song of all time, Young Hearts Run Free.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a great song. Yeah, I really it's a really wonderful song.
Speaker 4: I really like that.
Speaker 3: I adore that song.
Speaker 4: That's just what I could go.
Speaker 3: I haven't listened to that in a long time. Yeah, that's a real rock solid pick. Yes, least favorite.
Speaker 4: Song, least fit. What would you just.
Speaker 3: Say is the worst song ever made? This is a question I love to ask.
Speaker 4: Oh man, a worst song? The worst song ever made?
Speaker 3: I have a whole playlist, if you'd like some suggestions.
Speaker 4: I would love some suggestions.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I'll tell you My least favorite song ever is Red red Wine by Ub forty. It's a cover of Red red Wine. Have you heard this?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I hope you never have to hear this piece of music. It is excruciating agony, Red red Wine, absolute agony. To listen to. Life is a highway.
Speaker 4: Oh, that is really bad.
Speaker 3: That one's rough to hear.
Speaker 4: That is really bad.
Speaker 3: Let's see how do I find this? It's in my Spotify? Was I made it a long time ago?
Speaker 4: Isn't Life is a highway? Kind of like funny?
Speaker 3: No, it just sucks. Here's some others, Jack and Diane. You know this song by John Mellencamp. Oh, yes, that is any song where it's kind of like phony Americana. I can't get into it. Are You Gonna Be My Girl? By Jet?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: You hate that?
Speaker 3: That is an old Navy commercial. Bad to the bone. No one has ever liked that song. Taken care of business, hate it. Who's that by Bachman Turner Overdrive?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I don't know that one.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna sing it. I'm not going to subject anybody. Even if I could sing, well, I wouldn't subject anybody that song. Imagine Dragon's Believer. Oh, hate it, Born to be Wild, hate it old time rock and roll, hate it? Wow, Hotel, California. I'm so sorry you hate that one. Hate it? I mean, this is eighty five songs long. Wow. So those are a few. Anyone can look this up. It's called the absolute worst songs on Spotify Uptown Funk. Of course that's an easy target. Now have I been able to Is your mind working here with the worst music ever? I would yes, yes, okay, And what would you say?
Speaker 5: I feel like there are a couple of one Republic songs.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, let's just say that whole catalog, that whole Republic don't reach out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Really don't like that one. There are a few songs on the radio that I but I can't.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I never invest the time to know who who sings them.
Speaker 3: You know, I will say, at least as far as songs on the radio goes, songs by men are overwhelmingly worse than the ones sung by women. Yes, pop music sung by men is almost always uniformly terrible, but women are able to do good pop music. Yes, I'm like, what's a pop singer? Aren't male pop singer? Who's good? Can we name one we might be able to Yeah, we're all drawing a blank. Yeah, simply nobody comes to mind.
Speaker 4: I'm not getting any.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think I've made my point. But the other I was going through this list, I was thinking, this is just like a radio station.
Speaker 4: This is jack fam exactly.
Speaker 3: This is something someone would put on in an a dentist's office, yeah, and be like this is this will do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like i've do you remember that band the Lumineers.
Speaker 3: Do I know that band the Lumineers. How about ho Hey by the Lumineers. That's right, yeah, Oh that's a whole sound. Yeah, that's a whole sound. And there are other bands. I mean, people get really sensitive about their favorite types of music when they get mad when I'm talking about how horrible it is, But the Luminaers are awful.
Speaker 4: It's just not There was like.
Speaker 3: From twenty ten to fourteen, there was the Big O music with.
Speaker 5: Band boards and yeah, oh killing instrument which is like. As a lover of folk slash, I even love like honky Tonk. There are so many good kinds of that stuff.
Speaker 3: This is the awful verse.
Speaker 4: This is like And of course that was popular.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, you know it was inescapable for a while. Yeah, the Lumineers. There was the British guys at the band sho. I can never remember their name, uh.
Speaker 4: Not Mumford and Son.
Speaker 3: Mumford and Son.
Speaker 4: That's the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, look, everyone's got their thing. But it's horrible, it's absolutely awful. At least you have a least favorite song.
Speaker 2: Serre. When you were listing all of those songs in that playlist, huh, I agreed with every single one except for the Jet song.
Speaker 4: I will get behind that because that's catchy. Okay, it is catchy fun.
Speaker 2: Also, I have memories of Kate Winslet dancing to it in The Holiday, which is the favorite Nancy Meyers film.
Speaker 4: But Holiday, Yeah, that's my favorite.
Speaker 3: Oh I haven't even seen the movie. Maybe this will change my mind on Jet. It won't, but.
Speaker 4: The Holidays of great movie.
Speaker 3: Jet was one of those bands that came at the end of that period of like the garage rock revival of good music. And then they were like, we're getting on this, We're gonna make it horrible. Yeah, let's go boys, and they ruined it. They really killed Yeah. But I could talk about my least favorite music all day and just alienate every person on earth. People get so mad about music. But let's just name him three more American Pie by Don McLean, that song, Oh, let's see here my humps of course, black Eyed.
Speaker 4: Peace, Oh my god, you don't like that song.
Speaker 3: And then let's go with let's see here. Oh boy, there's so many bad songs in the world. Let's see here, Youth of the Nation pod. Do you know this song?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: That's a bad one. That's a that's an early thousands like new metal song, which I in my opinion, the early thousands are the absolute bottoming out of music. When that sort of song was able to be top of the charts.
Speaker 4: Wow, it was.
Speaker 3: It was like that Woodstock ninety nine, just the worst of the worst. What are we doing? Culture? And we made it out.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad we did.
Speaker 3: But I occasionally see people towing the line with nostalgia for that, and I think don't go back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm cute. I'm cue is Nickelback on there?
Speaker 3: I'm sure they are.
Speaker 5: I'm sure there's a New Yorker piece about why everyone hates Nickelback so much.
Speaker 3: There must be, right, But I don't mind them.
Speaker 5: I don't mind them all that much. They weren't as offensive as interesting as the lore.
Speaker 3: I wonder. I don't think they're as excruciating as some of the stuff here. I think that probably at the time, they were played so much and it was so just generic pearl Jam ripoffs sort of thing that people are just like, what is this trash? And they were right there with Creed, so it was like a double you know attack. I feel like we were just talking about them on this podcast, maybe with Joe Castle Baker. Yeah, was he talking about liking Nickelback or are you talking about liking Creed?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: Okay, well I can't. For the record, I am not a Nickelback fan. I am simply a curious.
Speaker 3: You're doing a full covers album, could you imagine? I mean I think that there. I think that things really turned around for the worst for them. Everyone turned when they did the look at this photograph and like the music video is literally him showing a photograph and people were like, well, this is okay, it is stupid, we get it.
Speaker 4: It's not artful.
Speaker 3: It's no longer artful. Nickelback is no longer tasteful. Okay, should we talk about either of these anymore?
Speaker 4: I mean we've seen it.
Speaker 3: Everybody seek out Vagabond's music. I'm telling you you're in for a treat. Okay. Now we're pulling out the final item. Oh and this is a new sound that I don't think we've right. This could almost be a limit.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of texture.
Speaker 3: Okay. Oh oh, I am thrilled about this. It's a dye kit. Just yesterday I went to take a two pieces of clothing to be dyed at this community die bath called Sway, and I was thinking, on the way, I should look up how to dye things. I bet it's not that difficult.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Well that's perfect.
Speaker 3: What is happening?
Speaker 4: This is great?
Speaker 5: I mean you should, I mean continue to support the local place. I mean you could dye candles.
Speaker 3: You can dye candles.
Speaker 4: Oh, how does that work? Like beeswax candles?
Speaker 2: You just.
Speaker 3: I don't even understand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can create like a gradient almost like this and like die them.
Speaker 4: Oh that sounds great. Yeah?
Speaker 3: And is this is this a tide kit or is it multiple colors?
Speaker 4: It's a it's a dye kit.
Speaker 3: It okay, yeah, see here, I'm not open it because I want to see do easy open? Oh I'm this is the color gold and yellow that I was going to do my shirts. Oh my god, and I'm gonna I feel like, what do I do? I just get a bucket of water, basically dump the sin in the backyard. Yes, not to wear I would ruin my house. And then how long do I have to put the piece of clothing in there?
Speaker 4: That is a really good question.
Speaker 5: I kind of just eyeball it and I get it wrong, But that's kind of the fun of it, right, that's the perfection of exactly no precision, right, except don't get it everywhere?
Speaker 3: And I should put some gloves on.
Speaker 4: Put gloves on.
Speaker 3: And how long total would this little project take me?
Speaker 5: Well, including the waiting, yes, probably twenty four hours?
Speaker 3: Twenty four hours. And now here's a question. I have a lot of raccoons coming through the yard, Okay, So should I put it in the bucket and then put it in a secure place.
Speaker 4: I feel like they would be the church. The smells.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, okay, I these raccoons. If anything that they will bring straws.
Speaker 4: Maybe you get one of those buckets that have lids.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a bucket with a lid. Yeah, now this is something I haven't considered. And maybe I'll look into that. Or I think I'm just going to find a secure place away from the raccoons and they won't be able to get to it. Yeah, this is going to change my life.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see what you make.
Speaker 3: I've got so many shirts and clothing that require dyeing, and these are all colors that work with my complexion. Yes, if you had brought a red I would have had to say, this isn't going to work for me. It makes me look sick.
Speaker 4: Do you die? Do you dye them all different colors or just one?
Speaker 3: I usually like a nice, solid one colory.
Speaker 4: So how come you don't purchase the thing and the color you desire?
Speaker 3: Well, because usually what I like to do is I'll have a shirt and I'm like, well, I love the shirt so much, but it's time as this color is over, and you know I'm trying. Yeah, most of the time. But to you know, reuse clothing. Yes, and so if I have a shirt that I really liked and it feels just tired or whatever, I'm like, it's time for you to be resurrected. That's great, It's great. This dye place has completely changed everything.
Speaker 4: I'm not considered that and now I'm.
Speaker 3: Basically pirrating from them. They're not going to see another sent for me.
Speaker 4: They won't be They'll be like, wow, it's been a while.
Speaker 3: Now everybody s u a Y go to Sway Die Shop. They're great. They should give me a discount. They should reach out to.
Speaker 4: Me because now I want to go there. You should.
Speaker 3: And they also make really cool clothes. See all out of recycled clothing. Wow, phenomenal.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: But you just so explain why you brought this.
Speaker 4: The everything, the dye kit.
Speaker 5: Well, I had an extra one, and I just think crafting is a good way to spend time. You know, I hadn't really tapped into like my sense of play or doing any thing besides music.
Speaker 3: I know how you feel. I didn't even have music.
Speaker 5: It's I mean, I really it's like, I was like, Okay, this can't be my entire identity, Like, I need to have other things that I do and.
Speaker 4: Get excited about.
Speaker 5: And so I tried a few different things, and dying was something I got really into.
Speaker 3: What have you been dying?
Speaker 4: Candles?
Speaker 3: Strictly candles, no clothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've done like kitchen napkins before, which is nice and nice gift. I will buy like linen, kitchen napkins or something and then die though, and that feels really special.
Speaker 3: Right, very custom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't done like clothing, mostly like tablecloths and and yeah, exactly, I'm doing strictly clothing. Yeah, well that's that's I think that's probably it's intended.
Speaker 3: I mean, who do you have any pictures of the candles?
Speaker 4: Oh? I don't? Okay, really should that you've done it? It's true, it's true. How could anyone know?
Speaker 3: Finally we get to the bottom of this. You being a huge liar. I've exposed you fraud. Well, I'm thrilled about this. The listener will have to keep an eye out for some dyeed clothing. Everybody look at Instagram. My clothes are gonna be all sorts of colors. Anytime something looks bad on me from now on, that'll probably be something I made, so keep an eye out for that. But I'm going to do a yellow first, probably maybe even today. Just get into it.
Speaker 4: Do you keep all of all of the things you.
Speaker 3: Oh giving away? Yeah, none of them until just recently we did our first live show and I gave away some of the gifts.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 3: And we're doing this live show in New York October thirteenth at the Bellhouse. Everybody buy tickets where we'll be giving away some more gifts. I'm trying to slowly get rid of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can imagine you need. A lot of Your house is just full.
Speaker 3: It's so much of it is worthless. So much of it is I mean, no apologies to anyone, it's crap. There are a few meaningful items, a few useful items, and then my home is just you know, you just picture a landfill, a dump. That's my house at this point.
Speaker 4: You live amongst it all.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm just crawling over seas of garbage. But none of this qualifies for that You've given a very thoughtful, thoughtful gift. Oh, I think it's time to play a game.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's play gift or a curse. Okay, I need a number from one or ten from you? What did I say? I need a number between I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 4: I will choose five.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have to do some light calculating. So right now you can recommend, promote, do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: I'll be right back. Okay.
Speaker 5: Recommending, I definitely recommend you listen to Majesty Crush, and I recommend the All Time Cookbook if you like cooking. I recommend my third album, Sorry I Haven't Called, which is out now on none such records, and you can listen to that. You can listen to the previous two albums, because I have three in the singles world. I am on my third album.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's it, beautiful again, everyone go listen to vagabon full albums.
Speaker 4: Full albums.
Speaker 3: Start with the most recent albums. Listen all the way through multiple times, and then you'll be ready to go on to a new album.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 3: Train yourself to have some level of paying attention. Yes, let's have an attention span for ten minutes. This is how we play gift or a curse. Okay, I'm gonna name three things. You're gonna tell me if there are a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers. Am I perfectly clear?
Speaker 4: You are okay?
Speaker 3: This first one is from a listener named Kylie. Kylie suggested curse hosting a dinner party and all the guests leave their leftovers with you?
Speaker 5: What curse? What all of the guests leave their leftovers? That is a curse. I don't have the fridge space I don't want. I love leftovers, but I don't want the influx of leftovers and my fridge. Then I have to get rid of them because I can only eat so much. I don't even understand why anyone would do that. I'm going to go with curse.
Speaker 3: Final answer, Oh, it's a curse. You're right. You know, while you're talking, I thought, is this a gift? It's not. It's a horrible feeling to yes. I mean, we've just talked about my home being a dump, but it's all the lengths of my home being a dump can only go so far. Do not leave your disgusting food at my house?
Speaker 4: Why would that?
Speaker 3: I can't eat through this avalanche of weird to hodgepodge your foods? No, you didn't want them? Exactly put them in your dish and take them home or throw them away, or take them and give them away. But I don't want them growing mold in my fridge.
Speaker 4: And why would anyone do that.
Speaker 3: I think it happens more often than we like to think.
Speaker 4: Really, that is inconsiderate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an epidemic and people have got to stop doing it. It's inconsiderate. So it's an absolute curse. Okay. Number two, This is from a listener names Shannon. Gift to a curse doctor's office. Is texting slash emailing you on your birthday?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, Wow. This requires a bit of thought. This because I've had some really rough birthdays where you know that email coming in felt really good, but really really good to be thought of. No, I think that it is. I think it's a curse. Ultimately, I don't need another text. I am one of those people with like two hundred text messages. I don't need another text. I probably haven't seen that doctor in a long time. I know they don't really care about me, and it just crowds up everything. So I'm gonna go with I'm gonna go with a curse.
Speaker 3: Oh wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, it's a gift.
Speaker 4: I blew it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I haven't received one from my newest dentist, doctor Gamboa, so I can't speak to that. That'll be coming up soon and we'll see if she even sends me one. But I love to hear from the team at the doctor's office. I love to get They usually send some sort of terrible emoji, or if you're really lucky, a bit moji wow that you know they found in twenty fourteen and are still kind of recycling. I love to hear from doctor's offices. I love to hear from the dermatologist. Everybody really make me the king of the day. Send me emails, send me text I don't care who's wishing me a happy birthday as long as I'm getting attention. Wow, it's a gift.
Speaker 4: Should have gone for my first handswer.
Speaker 3: I know you had a I mean a sad reason into it. I mean, if the only person you hear from on your birthday is or doctor, it sounds like you're maybe you're doing something to the people in your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something's wrong.
Speaker 3: But then maybe make a friend with your doctor. It checks back, Thank you so much. Can we get dinner?
Speaker 4: But then do you delete them? Do you answer?
Speaker 3: Well, that remains to be seen. Okay, so you've gotten one out of two so far. Final one is from someone named Amanda Gift or a curse fast food places that ask for your name when you order and use it when they hand you your food.
Speaker 5: I am gonna go with curse on that one. I'm actually pretty firm on this being a curse. My I'm curious how you feel.
Speaker 4: My name is.
Speaker 5: Letitia, and it so often mispronounced and in just atrocious ways that make me question my whole identity. And sometimes I give like a fake name, but then that makes me feel like I'm not being myself. And so I'm gonna go with curse. I rather have a number than a name.
Speaker 3: You're right, thank God, And we do need to have a discussion about this because I have questions for you.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's a curse coming from someone who worked at a cafe bakery where they demanded that we take everyone's name, and then you would have to go out into the place yelling the person's name, and no one ever responded to the name. People respond to a number. That's what they want to hear. Names get lost in the noise. I don't want to hear a stranger yelling my name. Mind your own business. Yeah, and then again we get to our names being difficult. I give a fake name too, Yeah, what are what's the fake name you give?
Speaker 4: I give L?
Speaker 3: Okay, I give Eric?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: What you get for L? What?
Speaker 1: I like?
Speaker 3: Do you ever to where they're like? Say that again? And you're like, okay, well now I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, they're onto me.
Speaker 5: They know God, but I but I ended when they say say it again, I actually spell E L L E what I really mean? It's just the letter out right, but it works out. There aren't a lot of people named L of course, right, they're not shouting out L a lot. But why did you choose Eric?
Speaker 3: It's my middle name? Okay, but I again, I'll say Eric and I run into other problems. Erin is that with a? K? Is that with them? I'm lying to you, it's not my don't direct me further into this web of flies.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: So I I met a complete lose lose. I think I just need to think of the what's a name that people cannot miss? Matt?
Speaker 4: But then there are so many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but at least the person i'm telling will know that's true, Tammy.
Speaker 5: I don't know if they'll believe that one.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to give it a shot.
Speaker 4: You should.
Speaker 3: You're not going to stop me.
Speaker 5: I think generally it's not nice to hear my name being shouted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like you're in trouble.
Speaker 4: Like something weird, a weird physical place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's and I think every one of these places there, I'm sure the manager psychology is. It's like it gives a personal touch, you know, it doesn't. It just bothers everybody.
Speaker 4: Some of us want to be anonymous.
Speaker 3: We all want a little bit of privacy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't don't even I don't even want to talk at the register. So I would prefer to communicating in a silent way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't ask for my name. You're not getting it. You're getting Tammy. Well, you got two out of three.
Speaker 4: That's not bad noting that.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I said no emails. People write into I said no gifts at gmail dot com begging for answers. Will you help me answer a question? Yes, all right, let's get any here, let's do it. This is dearest gracious host. Okay, layoff and ungrateful guest. My friend's son is my godson. Okay, we're already dealing with family math here. My friend's son is my godson, but her nephew is the same age, and so they have joint birthday parties. I want to spoil my godson because he's my favorite, but I always feel I have to get something of equal coolness for his cousin as well. For example, I got my godson a Leapfrog electronic book, the old school kind and a Constellation projector because he loves space. I really don't want to spend a ton on his cousin, but need ideas of what to get him. They're both turning three and enjoy building, toy stories, swimming, and gummy bears. Also, how long do I have to keep this up? For my friend just had a second boy, and I'm going to go broke trying to make everything even. Please help me, Rebecca. What does Rebecca do with? She has some amount of boys in her life. I can't tell exactly, sons and sons and nephews and cousins. And there's at least two boys, and there's one that has to be given a gift that she doesn't care about.
Speaker 5: Right right, there's one that neat that has a lower right okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Get him a potato be you don't care about him.
Speaker 4: And arrusted potato.
Speaker 3: Yeah, potato, just something you know it's from the bottom of that bag, and get slightly green. Some rocks, rocks a turn up.
Speaker 4: They could build something with rocks.
Speaker 3: Something you found on the grass outside their house walking in there. So that's just immediately off the top of our heads. Yeah, a three year old would love any of those gifts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hm, I'm curious about why.
Speaker 3: I am too. Who cares about this three year old's opinion of you? Tell him to get lost? I mean, just spoil the other kid. I mean, really, the feeling she should be gunning for here is making the cousin mad at her or jealous. That's a more exciting feeling to have somebody feel about you with them, they're kind of happy.
Speaker 4: Why would the godson? There are a lot of.
Speaker 3: Uh I'm not wrong, am I? That there are so many sons and godsons and cousins and nephews.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm unclear about what position each holds. But but I but I think that they should both have this equally cool gifts.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so now you're wrong. No, no, no, She the godson, who I believe is the favorite of hers, should be given god the favorite thousands of dollars worth of gifts. And then the other one opens a bag to some sort of rotting vegetable.
Speaker 4: Rocks or rocks that can taint that three year old.
Speaker 3: Right, but we don't care. We don't care, we don't care. I have no investment in either of these. I mean these hundreds of three year old's lives. It's Rebecca that's in the mud here. She's got to figure out what to do with all of this. And I say, just spoil and offend. Yes, that's a good strategy going to a bad day party.
Speaker 4: It's not bad, I think is cool rocks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he like, it's kind of a nothing gift. But he if he has an imagination, he's worth anything. And he's three, like, he'll make something he can make a.
Speaker 4: Weapon to use against her.
Speaker 3: Against her, She walks out in her windshields busted.
Speaker 4: She's created a monster.
Speaker 3: And don't we all at the end of the day, I want to create a monster true to be able to say I created a monster.
Speaker 5: It's a pretty powerful position, beaudiful, it's a very powerful what a legacy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I I is that your real advice?
Speaker 3: That is my real advice.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And now it's my real goal in twenty twenty five, I'm going to create a monster. I don't know who or how.
Speaker 4: We don't have enough.
Speaker 3: I'm going to find someone to mold into an absolute months.
Speaker 5: Well, I think I think it's okay to spoil the favorite, but the not favorite.
Speaker 4: You just give them something that they think is cool.
Speaker 3: You trick them, right, and a three that's very easy.
Speaker 4: It's very very easy. You have a few years left.
Speaker 3: Of that right where they're kind of impressed by nearly any anything, anything, a lollipop you got at the bank, exactly, free pen. Yeah, they really if they open as gift and there's something scissors, if they open the gift there's something in there, they'll be impressed, exactly. Or I mean that's the other thing. With a three year old, you could get them something cool and they won't be impressed. So it's such a gamble anyway, Yeah, don't go broke doing do not invest in a child for a three year old. That's my advice, don't invite, don't invest.
Speaker 4: In children, they won't remember.
Speaker 3: They're a waste. Well, I think we answered this perfectly, Rebecca. If you don't taken my advice, there's going to be a huge problem for all kinds of uncounted people. You know, countless, countless people. So please heed my words, heed Latitia's words. Yes, I think she was stronger about ruining the child than I was. So don't write back in Oh, I've had such a wonderful time with you, and to my whole wardrobe is going to change.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited for you, and I am such a fan of your podcast.
Speaker 3: Reached out. I was, I was through the roof. I thought, oh, somebody who I actually like. I mean, that's not what I mean. I love all of my guests, but it's fun when a musician who I respect and appreciate wants to be involved.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, I listen. I am a true fan.
Speaker 3: That's very sorry, that's very sorry. If the lumineers reached out, they're not getting on the podcast. Sorry, imagine dragons, you're not getting on the podcast. I don't care how many emails you sent. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and thanks for having me in your beautiful home.
Speaker 3: Anytime back here, any post earthquake time. You're safe here.
Speaker 4: It's nice to be coming down from the earthquake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a nice earthquake come down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel at ease too. Listener. I hope you're not currently in the middle of an earthquake and freaking out and screaming and looking for a table. That would be horrible. But if you are, the podcast is over, so now you can get under the table. I love you, goodbye, I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Analise Nilson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Kottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Man. You must follow the show on instae Graham at I said, no Gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting, And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 4: But I invited you hear.
Speaker 1: Thought. I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to my home. You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no gifts, You're o presences, presents enough. I already had too much stuff.
Speaker 4: So how do you dare to surbey me?