Speaker 1: M all right, let's close it out. Actually, the eyes up here extra for Thursday. As we look at a marquee moment in ECW's history. It's looked at a lot in the historical realm, but it's when Brian Pillman debuted.
Speaker 2: In the E c W rig Can I just say how handsome Joe's dials is? A look at that baby face. He was great in a suit, cheeks, he's so cute. Okay, so he's hyping it up up. Crowd's going, wellcome.
Speaker 1: Welcoming to everybody the ECW arena like you would normally do you know for shows like this? They were using this on TV. I believe, No, No, it's fine. This was CyberSlam ninety six. Okay, this uh well, here they go.
Speaker 2: Lights are out and we're frantically getting pilm into the ring because we don't know where we're going. I had to do that once and I was like, where the hell am I?
Speaker 1: That scary? Is that like a weird thought?
Speaker 2: Scary? You can't see anything?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, look at them, yes, look at that. Look at that outfit. They're going bananas. It's uh, it's quite the shocking revelation, especially for what he was doing at the time where the loose Canon you didn't know where he was going to end up, you didn't know what he was going to do, And here he is in freaking e CW. This was insane at the time.
Speaker 2: But now there's a fan in the front row with a Pillman sign. Somebody somebody snitched, somebody knew the smart marks know everything.
Speaker 1: It says, Pillman don't work me.
Speaker 2: Really, look at that cane just just he's he's got like a rock and roll look going.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely he could. Yeah, he could fit right into the grunge scene or something like that. The vest, the boots. I mean, this guy, I mean just completely ahead of his time with what this loose cannon thing was.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking at him and it's amazing how much his son looks like him too. I was gonna mention that, yeah, yeah, yeah, because I've met Brian a couple of times, you know, when conventions and something. He looks just like his dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, down to that curly hairdoo like he's got it perfect.
Speaker 2: But when do you remembers Mullet is much more.
Speaker 1: He's got a combination of flying Brian meets the loose cannon in him. He's got more of the flying Brian mullet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this haircut isn't mullody. No, this looks like this looks like a like a perm that he blew out.
Speaker 1: I bet when I think about nineties style, like this is kind of where I would start an end because that that is I think that still looks cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this works. It's not too long, it's not too short. It's just right. A handsome dude.
Speaker 1: So what do you remember about this night? And Brian Pillman, I.
Speaker 2: Remember the crowd going nuts. I remember everybody there was such a buzz, you know what I mean, Like we were excited to have them because we knew I mean, as you know when we had Steve Austin or when Mick Foley would come in. Uh, just anybody like it just gives us the advantage, you know. Oh look what ECW did again. We were the talk of the town this night. And we didn't keep them for long obviously, but it was a perk to have them there. So it just goes to show you you never knew who was going to come through the curtain, or when the lights went on, who would be standing in the ring. So it's a very very cool night and this, by the way, this promo was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Oh off the charts, I mean, and we're watching him do a promo as we're talking. The action will come towards the towards the end, but it's just like he's he goes from you know your shocked to see me. I'm gonna tell you, you know, I'm this great, I'm this and that, and then he slowly starts his turn on the crowd and he's ripping him apart and he's telling him now how great he is, and he was just you didn't know what he was doing because in WCW he started to pull this guy out. There was this segment in on a Clash of the Champions where he hits Bobby Heenan at ringside, and Bobby Heenan didn't know he was gonna do it, throws his headset off, thinking that it was a fan because he was literally going into business for himself just to get this loose Kennon character over. And I think it worked because I don't know if anybody really knew if he was working, you were not.
Speaker 2: WHOA F bomb was just dropped.
Speaker 1: After Brian f and Pillman. But how did they not bleep that I think this is this CyberSlam ninety six copy release. Yes from e c W home video.
Speaker 2: Yes, extreme, it's extreme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's dropping f bombs like crazy. Now he's uh, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Joey's not scared. Joey's Joey's right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't let over that microphone.
Speaker 2: He's not scared. He's not scared of you, buddy.
Speaker 1: And now he's lost it. As soon as I say it up, he took he took it. But like do you hand do you remember, like was he in the locker room or was he kind of floating around doing his own thing because he was trying to be that loose cannon? Do you remember?
Speaker 2: I again, you know, me with my shitty memory, I want to say he was in the locker room because I know I met him back there. But again, everybody's doing their own thing, like who was getting ready for their matches? Like every everybody had something to do that night. So but I don't think he was like a lawler who put him isolated himself and he didn't want to be near anyone. I'm pretty sure he was around the boys that I can remember.
Speaker 1: And this is to start off a show so they probably had a couple of dark matches before this was to quote kickoff cyber Slam. So I guess, you know, maybe makes more sense that he's in the back because he has to come during the blackout, whereas Lawler. Yeah, was Lawler in the the limo or in the or in the did he stay in the back room?
Speaker 2: Remember Jerry coming in and just going to the locker room by himself. He wasn't out at all, right, but Jerry, Now Jerry has always been sweet to me, So I'm not not him. I just he was just he did his thing, you know, didn't sit with the boys. He was just by himself.
Speaker 1: Here we go. Now he's to take out the Johnson and piss all over this dump. Okay, Todd Gordon paul A.
Speaker 2: Still think that the only person who's ever successfully taken their penis out with Sandman.
Speaker 1: And look you see who else made the save because.
Speaker 2: He needs to be in the segment that glory hog. Look at them.
Speaker 1: And now this is also a newly returned Shane Douglas. He had just come back like I think the previous month.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm still with the Pippoles here, You're.
Speaker 1: Still with the pipples. He's a babyface right now.
Speaker 2: Look at him.
Speaker 1: So handsome, you know, and if anybody had history with Pillman, it was probably gonna be him because.
Speaker 2: It makes sense, totally makes sense. He's wearing a company shirt.
Speaker 1: Yes he is.
Speaker 2: Shirt. It's always a franchise shirt.
Speaker 1: Now we have the cops. I was gonna say that guy the cops have arrived with a night stick. So Philly's finest.
Speaker 2: He really goes to the TZ team TZ dojo.
Speaker 1: They were like, oh, he was a little bit older.
Speaker 2: I have no idea who that guy is. Arrest me. That's okay. Well, now the short dude I think was really a cop. See the little guy pop outfit. I'm pretty sure he was a real policeman. I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: There you go. So they're they're putting them in cups. They're going to arrest him. This is I mean, this is cutting that stuff though. In February ninety six.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're watching this as a fan, do you say to yourself, what a work? Oh yeah, those are those cops. They're going to take them to jail.
Speaker 1: Like do you believe in ninety six with Brian Pillman, Yes, because he was doing the same thing like two weeks earlier in w CW and then all of a sudden he's in ECW and you didn't know why, how the hell is he here? He was in the Four Horsemen a few weeks prior, and now he's free from the policeman. Oh yeah, this is great. Look at this now he.
Speaker 2: It's a plant. I remember that guy. He's a worker. Sorry to bust your bubble.
Speaker 1: Look at this. This is this is classic ship. Here worker, he's got a fork. Look at that daming the kid with a fork.
Speaker 2: Here's Shane again, look a look at this. I don't think I like mister Douglas as a baby face.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Come on, Shane, you don't even know that guy. Why are you saving him?
Speaker 1: He's a good guy. That's why.
Speaker 2: It's a mark from the crowd. Now that I remember that dude, I don't remember his name, but I remember him, and he was he was very nice, always respectful. Didn't last very long with us, but cool guy.
Speaker 1: And you confirmed it, deny that he was picked out of a carrot top lookalike content.
Speaker 2: I cannot confirm North den eye it. But dad had a hair, was beautiful, nice thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very red. I believe Shane is saying get that out of here.
Speaker 2: Oh he said the F word twice. Goodness, gracious. Yeah. You never sees Shane with a company's shirt. It's always like a franchise shirt. One time he wore my shirt there.
Speaker 1: It is interesting. But I mean again, just you know, I see people posting about it all the last couple of days online. It's a big moment for ECW. I mean, it's really gonna go down. But again, wasn't there a long time, ended up leaving to go to the WWF, but then had the brutal, brutal motorcycle accident that nearly ended his life and basically he was never the same after that accident. That was only a few months after this.
Speaker 2: And what did he pass from? Was it drug use?
Speaker 1: Well, it was an enlarged heart, I believe, from you know, other substances. But they also said that he had some you know, pulmonary issues and there was some you know, uh, family things that might have caused it. But obviously I'm sure the amount of drug issues that have been documented may have played a part. I'm not one hundred cent sure. I don't have the coroner's report.
Speaker 2: Well, tremendous talent. It was. It was a cue for us to get him, even for a short time. And watching that just reminds me how rabid our fans were, yeah, in Philadelphia, So.
Speaker 1: It's almost more about that to show you and watch this, it's like just to see that atmosphere that was your that was your people.
Speaker 2: That's like everybody says, do you miss ECW? Do you? You know? Do you? Of course I miss it. I mean, you know, I'm happy where I am today with my life, don't get me wrong, but you think back, and I think back fondly on my time in that company above everything else that I've ever done work wise, But the one thing that always stands out are the fans and how loyal they were to us, you know what I mean, And not just in Philly, just everywhere we went. Like ECW fans were the greatest fans on the planet. I don't care what other fed you're in, you could say you're fans. Our fans were so loyal and just they were into everything and if they didn't like it, you knew it. Yeah, they held no punches. It was just they were a great group of people. They're still out there they're still representing the company twenty some years later, and it's amazing just to see the support that we still have, so.
Speaker 1: Oh so so great. One of my favorite things to go back and watch for sure, And again he was gone, but you guys would still sell his T shirts for all. Of course, for months afterwards it was like, we can't show you the new Brian Pillman T shirt because we'll get taken off the air kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Listen, you make march and it's left over, you need to sell it. And it probably did sell out, so of course we're going to sell that stuff.
Speaker 1: And who would have thought that you maybe you should grab a stack of them or wasn't that roadkill who grabbed all the road killed all the T shirts and everything?
Speaker 2: She was me?
Speaker 1: Who what a thought? Right? What I thought? All right, Well, we'll wrap it up for today. Go back and watch that. And for the Queen of Extreme Francine, this is the Chad st and we'll catch you on the flip side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, Franccene franc Queen Extreme Extreme, The Queen Extreme podcasts.
Speaker 2: Up here.
Speaker 4: It's the Queen Extreme podcast. It's the Queen of Extreme. Fu in the Legency is the Woman of the Dreams Letten on the Scene franc Scene Podcast.
Speaker 2: What's Your Means?
Speaker 4: Your tramp place to show you what your needs? You ful n'der stand The Queens from the Beginning of Time. Odds here Our Heart Radio, shine only a head and tell you a story from the Where the Legend odds up here, The Queen Nobody's like fresh scene eyes up here here here, The Queen Extreme Podcast odds up here here head The Queen Extreme Podcast odds up here here here, The Queen Extreme Podcast odds up here here The Queen Extreme Podcast Podcast